Please Help Me With A Urban Fantasy Quest

I'm trying to create a setting where hidden from normal society, forces with reality warping strength can be dealt with to gain some power, mostly by weirdos and freaks who are in the know

But I'm having trouble with deciding certain parts of the setting, such as these forces themselves and the mechanics behind them
currently trying to decide between these guys

Spirits Of Everything
- These things represent aspects of reality, and attempt to increase their aspects wherever they go
- More like forces then beings with actual personalities
- Easier to come up with ideas for these guys, but it's harder to explain away why normal people don't know of them, but weirdos do and frequently interact with them

Daemons
- Sentient bundles of power from a far off dimension where everything is godlike in strength
- They reach into this world through Daemonic Incursions, trying to spread their influence for fun, since coming here requires effort, which is not a thing they had to expend for eons, and it's either play with the mortal world or commit suicide from all the boredom
- Harder to come up with ideas for these guys, but it's easier to explain why people don't know about them (their eyes probably bleed when trying to acknowledge them or something) and we can easily explain mostly weirdos dealing with them cause they like those guys more and make slightly better bargains

If you guys have any better ideas or suggestions I'm all ears

Last edited:
J: First off, you need a convincing reason for these hidden powers to not interact with mortal society. "They just don't want to" won't work; you'd get enough dissenters to blow the lid off it sooner rather than later, especially given the described oddball nature of the setting's occultists.

L: With regards to the Spirits of Everything? Just have them not exist as an actual entity separate from whatever they represent until invoked.

Last edited:
J: First off, you need a convincing reason for these hidden powers to not interact with mortal society. "They just don't want to" won't work; you'd get enough dissenters to blow the lid off it sooner rather than later, especially given the described oddball nature of the setting's occultists.

I only have a good reason for people not to know of the Daemons
- Most people start bleeding from eyes and ears when attempting to comprehend their presence, nose too if they can smell it
- Most people's sanity starts to detiorate when in front of a Daemon, or erase all thoughts of the Daemon from their head to preserve said sanity
- This includes video and photographic evidence

The idea about the spirits of everything not being around until invoked is difficult for me to implement, since I got nothing actually invoke them
A magical ritual that invokes them could work but the Spirit Of Rituals could just fuck around with it while they're summoned
Maybe they're not visible to normal people, but hundreds of years ago the spirit of knowledge and the spirit of sight attempted to give everyone the ability to see spirits, but only partially succeeded
Wait that wouldn't hide physical evidence like a large crater from a magic fight with no signs of conventional explosives nearby

Last edited:
I only have a good reason for people not to know of the Daemons
- Most people start bleeding from eyes and ears when attempting to comprehend their presence, nose too if they can smell it
- Most people's sanity starts to detiorate when in front of a Daemon, or erase all thoughts of the Daemon from their head to preserve said sanity
- This includes video and photographic evidence
L: That's not going to work. "Loads of people suddenly bleeding from their eyes and going insane while the internet in the local area spontaneously combusts" is the EXACT OPPOSITE of sneaky. That sort of fuckery is going to get noticed fast, and even if people can't comprehend the exact nature of what's going on, they WILL be able to rapidly rule out basically everything except the very weird as a cause. In fact, people who figure it out bleeding from their sensory organs is itself going to be a major clue that the cause is supernatural (thus leading to an increase in people bleeding from the eyeballs).

Good point
Should I just dump the whole keep em secret thing all together and try my hand at building a world where knowledge of that stuff is common or just remove the whole blood thing and make it so normal people automatically just remove memories of Daemons from their minds to preserve their sanity?

Let me explain more, the second option preserves their sanity and removes memories of Daemonic interactions, it doesn't drive them insane unless they somehow break through that mental barrier

Last edited:
L: Worlds without masquerades are easier to make work in a sensible manner, and can be more dynamic to explore.

L: ...*blinks* I was operating under the assumption the setting would have both. Is that not what you intended?
Not at all

They may have different flavours
Such as the Spirits giving things a more whimsical feeling since they're manifestations of reality while the Daemons give a more dark and gritty feel with the whole otherworldly forces playing with human lives thing, they're both powerful forces that influence the world for their own goals, and make eachother kinda redundant in my head

Last edited:
Not at all

They may have different flavours
Such as the Spirits giving things a more whimsical feeling since they're manifestations of reality while the Daemons give a more dark and gritty feel with the whole otherworldly forces playing with human lives thing, they're both powerful forces that influence the world for their own goals, and make eachother kinda redundant in my head
L: If you want any chance for non-hostile interactions with the supernatural, go for the Spirits. The fact that Daemons wreck people and infrastructure just by existing means that they're de facto hostile entities that need to be hunted and killed immediately, regardless of their actual intentions.

Back