Once Upon A Time Question

Pronouns
He/Him/His
I'm thinking of having a different "The Sorcerer" for Once Upon A Time role play that I'm hosting in the RP section.

I have thought of, so far, Gandalf, from Lord of the Rings; Medivh, from Warcraft, and Raistlin from Dungeons and Dragons.
I've also been thinking of having their been previous iterations of "The Sorcerer", with Merlin from the original OUAT being only one of them.

Among the three previously mentioned wizards, who is more worthy of the title of, "The Sorcerer"?
For those not in the know, "The Sorcerer" is basically OUAT's "Sorcerer Supreme" as the Marvel Universe would call it."

I'm thinking of having a different "The Sorcerer" for Once Upon A Time role play that I'm hosting in the RP section.

I have thought of, so far, Gandalf, from Lord of the Rings; Medivh, from Warcraft, and Raistlin from Dungeons and Dragons.
I've also been thinking of having their been previous iterations of "The Sorcerer", with Merlin from the original OUAT being only one of them.

Among the three previously mentioned wizards, who is more worthy of the title of, "The Sorcerer"?
For those not in the know, "The Sorcerer" is basically OUAT's "Sorcerer Supreme" as the Marvel Universe would call it."
Well, it's nice that someone remembers Raistlin, but I do have to point out that in terms of sheer power and experience, he's actually at the bottom of the "big leagues" in d&d. He's from a setting with a level 18 hardcap and a generally lower power level than most others in the game.

More on topic: out of the three you mentioned, Medivh is the only one who actually had the job that the Sorcerer Supreme does (protect the world from extraplanar threats)

You might also consider Yen Sid (Disney/Kingdom Hearts, and the actual Sorcerer in the "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" piece in Fantasia)

Well, it's nice that someone remembers Raistlin, but I do have to point out that in terms of sheer power and experience, he's actually at the bottom of the "big leagues" in d&d. He's from a setting with a level 18 hardcap and a generally lower power level than most others in the game.

More on topic: out of the three you mentioned, Medivh is the only one who actually had the job that the Sorcerer Supreme does (protect the world from extraplanar threats)

You might also consider Yen Sid (Disney/Kingdom Hearts, and the actual Sorcerer in the "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" piece in Fantasia)

Yeah, you know, that would actually work. So, if I decide on various people having the title of The Sorcerer, I think it will be:
Merlin
Gandalf
Medivh,
and currently, Yen Sid. Thank you for the reminder. The problem is I don't know anything that Yen Sid can do.

Yeah, you know, that would actually work. So, if I decide on various people having the title of The Sorcerer, I think it will be:
Merlin
Gandalf
Medivh,
and currently, Yen Sid. Thank you for the reminder. The problem is I don't know anything that Yen Sid can do.
Anything you've seen in any disney movie or kingdom hearts. He's the one who taught Mickey, and supposedly WAY beyond KH Maleficent, Merlin, etc...

Yen Sid, yen siD, yensiD, Disney

Anything you've seen in any disney movie or kingdom hearts. He's the one who taught Mickey, and supposedly WAY beyond KH Maleficent, Merlin, etc...

Yen Sid, yen siD, yensiD, Disney

So, I've thought of five different Sorcerer Supremes (just called Sorcerers, because it's OUAT) for the Role Play.
1) Merlin
2) Gandalf
3) Medivh
4) Dallben
5) Yen Sid (Current)

I need to somehow tie in all of these Sorcerers in with a made up history for the role play. I need to know, is there resurrection magic in Warcraft, or is that just a game mechanic?

So, I've thought of five different Sorcerer Supremes (just called Sorcerers, because it's OUAT) for the Role Play.
1) Merlin
2) Gandalf
3) Medivh
4) Dallben
5) Yen Sid (Current)

I need to somehow tie in all of these Sorcerers in with a made up history for the role play. I need to know, is there resurrection magic in Warcraft, or is that just a game mechanic?
Merlin, in many versions lives backwards through time, so you can have him meet others that way as a viewpoint character, conversely, time magic is very much a thing in both KH and Warcraft

Merlin, in many versions lives backwards through time, so you can have him meet others that way as a viewpoint character, conversely, time magic is very much a thing in both KH and Warcraft

I won't make Yen Sid from KH then. ;)
But uh, I have read a lot of WC lore, but never a novel. I know ther'es a god of time, but is time magic a common occurrence?

I won't make Yen Sid from KH then. ;)
But uh, I have read a lot of WC lore, but never a novel. I know ther'es a god of time, but is time magic a common occurrence?
There's an entire set of dungeons in WoW where you travel through time to prevent other time travelers from fucking with the past. You even encounter Medivh while doing so.

There's an entire set of dungeons in WoW where you travel through time to prevent other time travelers from fucking with the past. You even encounter Medivh while doing so.

Dag nabbit. Okay, no Warcraft in this RP either then. :(
I don't necessarily need five Sorcerers in this RP, I just wanted a history of Sorcerers. What about Harry Potter? I never read it but I understand it's the most popular fantasy novel setting in history.

Dag nabbit. Okay, no Warcraft in this RP either then. :(
I don't necessarily need five Sorcerers in this RP, I just wanted a history of Sorcerers. What about Harry Potter? I never read it but I understand it's the most popular fantasy novel setting in history.
They give a time travel device to a student so that ahe can fit extra classes into the day.

Seriously, any setting magical enough to warrant a Sorcerer Supreme archetype has time magic

They give a time travel device to a student so that ahe can fit extra classes into the day.

Seriously, any setting magical enough to warrant a Sorcerer Supreme archetype has time magic

Well yeah, even OUAT does, but time travel is not nearly trivial in a way that HP apparently is. It takes a witch who's more powerful than one of the main villains to use a time travel spell.

Well yeah, even OUAT does, but time travel is not nearly trivial in a way that HP apparently is. It takes a witch who's more powerful than one of the main villains to use a time travel spell.
Oh, if that's all then Kingdom Hearts and Warcraft are okay. It takes incredibly powerful people to do it there. Now, Time Stop is more common in KH, but actual time travel is hard as hell. And in Warcraft the player can only do it because of the backlash from renegade servants of the time god fucking things up

Oh, if that's all then Kingdom Hearts and Warcraft are okay. It takes incredibly powerful people to do it there. Now, Time Stop is more common in KH, but actual time travel is hard as hell. And in Warcraft the player can only do it because of the backlash from renegade servants of the time god fucking things up

What about resurrection? I mean, I suppose clerical magic could be an exception but it can't just be a "level 5" cleric spell or something like that.

What about resurrection? I mean, I suppose clerical magic could be an exception but it can't just be a "level 5" cleric spell or something like that.
It's a little unclear in Warcraft how much of the resurrection mechanic is player only and how much is lore.

KH doesn't have resurrection, party members who go to 0hp are visibly just knocked out.

Back