Obito-Sensei (A Sakura-Centric Naruto AU)

Chapter 33: Sakura's Mission
Worse Than Trash
The day after Sakura's birthday, Team Seven left the village once more. They were beyond the gates early on a beautiful spring morning, walking through warm drizzles of rain beneath blue skies. They had a habit for leaving now: an order of arrival, and arrangement for who packed what; by now, it was familiar and exciting to travel beyond Konoha instead of surprising.

It was just the four of them; they didn't require any hanger-ons for this mission. As they traveled through the hidden paths of the forests of the Land of Fire, they chattered, laughed, challenged each other to tiny competitions. Eventually, about an hour or so in, Naruto decided to ask Obito about their mission.

"So I get the criminal thing," he said, and Obito cocked an eyebrow at him as he waited for the followup. "But why do they care about a bunch of whales?"

"What do you mean 'get the criminal thing'?" Obito asked, ignoring the actual question. Naruto shrugged.

"Well I mean, people like breaking the law," he said. His sensei laughed. "There are criminals everywhere, in all the nations. And some laws are stupid too, so people even break them by accident. But hunting a bunch of whales seems like a stupid thing to break the law for."

Their mission, C-Rank and not super exciting sounding, was to travel to the southern coast of the Land of Fire, to a town named Miyako. It wasn't very big, from what the chunin who'd given them the mission had described, barely ten thousand people. Well, that was a lot of people Naruto supposed, but not compared to a place like Konoha, or even Tanzaku Gai. Miyako was a coastal town heavy in fishing and tourism, and a big part of that was that huge pods of whales frequently traveled close to it looking for food and, Naruto guessed, company.

"Well, whales have a lot of valuable stuff on them, Naruto," Obito said. "Or in them, really. Just about everything can be harvested."

"Gross." Naruto stuck out his tongue, and Sakura laughed. "So what, like bones?"

"Well sure, but that's one of the more obvious ones," Obito said, scratching the back of his head as they leapt through the trees. "They've got an incredible amount of meat on them, and their blubber was a super valuable resource as well. Before the hidden villages were established whale oil was used to light and heat most of the Land of Fire."

"Oil?" Sasuke asked, perking up. Naruto was just as confused. He knew animals could make all kinds of oil; he'd seen toads do it before. But he had the feeling that whales didn't spit it up like toads could.

"Yeah, from their blubber, I think. I dunno, I'm not a biologist," Obito laughed. "But it was a good source of energy, so it was always in high demand. I've heard that a lot of shinobi who lived close to the coast made their living hunting whales."

"Huh!" Naruto said. It had never even crossed his mind what ninja would have done before the villages had organized them. "That must have been cool!"

"Not that much, Naruto," Sakura spoke up, and Naruto looked back at her in surprise. She gave him a smile, and his heart beat a little faster when he saw the top of his frog wallet poking out of her jacket. "Whales are very intelligent; it would almost be like hunting people for their blood. In fact, it was banned a couple decades ago, wasn't it sensei?"

"It was," Obito confirmed, and Naruto had the familiar feeling of wondering just where Sakura learned this kind of stuff. Books? Was that why she read books? Should he read more books? "But not just because they were intelligent, right Sakura?"

She nodded, her hair whipping in the wind of her passage. "Some whales learned how to use chakra, and held a grudge," she said, directing her words towards her teammates. Naruto found himself nodding along, even if the subject was kinda boring; he just liked listening to Sakura talk. "They'd been hunted for so long they were starting to become endangered, so groups of them organized and began slaughtering humans. Apparently lots of species have done that! For a while, more than a century ago, it was too dangerous to trade across the open ocean. Any boat would get hunted down by packs of them and sunk."

"Whoa," Naruto muttered. "So that made people stop hunting them?"

"That's the idea," Obito said. "That, and stuff like electricity becoming more universal made the demand for their oil dry up. That probably had more of an effect, to be honest. Nowadays, the only people who'd be dumb enough to hunt whales would be in it for the rarity. You're just asking to get a bunch of people killed otherwise."

"Like at Miyako," Sasuke said. Their sensei nodded. "But they don't know where the poachers are."

"No," Obito confirmed. "But the coast is full of hiding places, so that's not a surprise. Cliffs and caves, abandoned towns, and even some old shinobi hideouts. It's a perfect place for outlaws to come together."

"Hmm," Sasuke said, and Naruto wondered what he was thinking. "But we're not supposed to take them down?"

"Nope," Obito said. "You didn't hear me wrong on that. Our only job is to lead the local authorities to them. Unless any of them are rogue ninja, we're not supposed to help apprehend them."

"They're too scared of losing their power," Sakura spoke up. "It's silly." Obito shrugged, slowing down the pace through the trees a little, and Naruto and his teammates matched it.

"It is, a little," he said. "But sometimes people are worried about shinobi having all the authority, or infringing on others. Uchiha sometimes get asked to help with crimes outside of Konoha, for example, thanks to the Sharingan, but they're not actually allowed to do anything besides advise the local or national law enforcement."

His face twisted, and Naruto remembered what Sasuke had told him about his mother's plan for the clan. He couldn't help but mirror his sensei's expression.

"We could just do their job for them anyway," Sakura said with a mean grin. Naruto cocked an eyebrow at her, and she smiled back.

"Wouldn't we not get paid then?" he said, and she laughed.

"Do we need the money? It's the principle of the thing!" she said, and he laughed with her. "If they're gonna hire us, they can't complain if we overperform!"

"No going above and beyond," Obito said with a stern look and a light laugh. "We've got a reputation to uphold, you know. Everytime you step outside, you're an ambassador for the whole village."

He smirked. "Even if it would be easy, we're going to do our job and nothing more. You got it?"

Sasuke and Sakura agreed, but Naruto couldn't help but give a mischievous shrug. He liked Sakura's idea, maybe mostly because it had come from her. He gave her a grin, but she was slow to return it. He cocked his head in a silent question, and she shook hers.

'Later," she was saying. Naruto accepted with a nod. Something was still eating at her, like it had been since Waterfall. It wasn't that surprising that even a month and her birthday hadn't totally driven that sorrow from her.

But Naruto was determined to do just that, no matter how long it took.

"So are we getting there tonight?" he said. His sensei shook his head. "Why? We totally could!"

"We could," Obito acknowledged. It would take them about three days to run from one side of the Land of Fire to the other, Naruto thought, but going from Konoha to the coast was a third of that distance. The sea was to the south, and Fire was a lot wider than it was tall. "But we're not in a rush. We were even asked to take it slow, remember?"

Sasuke snorted. "It sounds like they're hoping they'll have solved it by the time we show up."

"That's possible," Obito smiled. "But they wouldn't have wasted their deposit on us if they thought it was likely. You guys are a pricy team, you know."

"Well duh," Naruto said. "Like we should be!"

"Yeah, Naruto." Obito rolled his eyes. "Like you should be."

They spent the rest of the day at a sedate pace for shinobi, talking occasionally but mostly enjoying the scenery. Fire was a beautiful country, Naruto thought, even if he rarely appreciated it. Its forests were thick and vibrant, stretching for miles, but the farther south they went the more they thinned out, giving way to huge plains of grass and eventually farms. They steered clear of crops, occasionally seeing small towns or lone homes dotting the plain. Twice, someone waved at them from far away, watching in awe as they leapt across the earth like oversized grasshoppers, and Naruto waved back with a wide smile.

This was his home, he thought. He wondered what the other countries of the world were like. Were they as nice as the Land of Fire, filled with mountains and trees and plains? Or were their own mountains, deserts, seas and rivers, plains and tundras, just as beautiful? Waterfall had seemed barely any different; was most of the world like that? Could you even tell when you stepped from one country into another?

The sun started to set around five, slowly sliding down the sky to his right, and it was about then that Obito pulled out a map, looking for something he didn't bother to share.

"Here," he eventually said, veering a bit to the west. "There's a decent town about an hour that way. We'll stay there for the night."

"We're not camping?" Sasuke asked, and Naruto echoed the question. Obito shrugged.

"Do you want a roof, or to sleep on the ground?" he asked, and Sasuke and Naruto both considered the question, glancing at each other.

"Roof," Sakura cut in, and Obito gave her a thumbs up. "We've got the money for it, don't we?" She patted her new wallet, and Naruto gave her a grin.

"Sure!" he agreed. "It'll be nice. What's the town called, Obito-sensei?"

"Atsuitsa," he said. "It's not that big, but it's a crossroads town. There's probably a decent place to stay there."

Sasuke agreed as well, and they all changed their course. It barely took them half an hour to reach the town, and when they did Naruto wasn't that impressed. Asuitsa was basically an unpaved main street and a collection of neighborhoods that scattered off in every direction, set in among several steep hills. Obito was right about it being a crossroad town though; many of the buildings were several stories tall, stores or hotels for sure, and telephone poles threaded through the town like enormous spider webs, strung far off into the distance along a half dozen roads that all converged on the main street. They wandered down the concourse, and before long an older woman called out to them from one of the buildings.

"What brings you here, shinobi?" she said with what Naruto could only call a suspicious glare, and Obito gave her a disarming smile. The sun was making good progress on setting. It would vanish in about another half hour, and it sent long red streaks of light burning across the land and sky.

"Just looking for a place to stay!" he said, and the woman straightened up, leaning against the doorway she'd popped out of.

"If you're not bringing trouble, you'll want to check out Sugimoto's Bed and Breakfast," she said, pointing down the street to a newer looking building near the end. "He's fair, and quiet."

"Thanks!" Naruto called back, and the woman gave him a sweet smile. He smiled back as they made their way to the end of the street and inside the building. A bell on the door rung as they opened it. The building had a nice modern construction, and a large bottom floor that had probably once been a living room but was now a spacious open lobby dotted with tables and decorations. There was a pair of teenage boys already inside, sitting at a table by a window in the corner and sharing a collection of pastries, and they shot Team Seven a surprised glance as they walked in.

"Welcome!" An older man with a strong chin and an impressive collection of scars came out from an adjoining room at the sound of the bell on the door. "Oh! Welcome, shinobi of the Leaf!" He gave each of them a little bow in turn, and returned the grin Naruto gave in kind. "Are you looking for a room, perhaps? Or just dinner?"

"Both," Obito said, holding up two fingers. "Two rooms, one for us and one for her, and four dinners. Will you be able to accommodate us?"

'Two rooms?' Naruto wondered as Obito gestured to him and Sasuke as he said 'us'. Sakura hadn't had a problem with sharing rooms before. Had something changed? He frowned. Wait, didn't something happen to girls when they got older? His mom had told him something like that once, that occasionally teenagers needed their privacy. Sakura was fourteen now, after all.

"Of course, of course!" The man, who Naruto assumed was Sugimoto, bowed again. "More than able, and happy to! It's always a gift for Konoha's ninja to visit our town."

He and Obito exchanged more pleasantries, and Obito paid, covering their night and meals. Naruto thought that the woman had been right: the price was plenty fair.

"Now remember," Sugimoto said before handing them two keys. "Dinner is at eight, so don't be late!" He chuckled at his little rhyme before rushing off to fuss over another set of guests coming down the stairs into the lobby, and Team Seven left him to it. Obito led them up the same set of stairs past the other guests, a grumpy man and his apologetic wife, and they found that the second floor was divided into two corridors that ran the length of the building.

"Sakura, we're in room three. You're in five," he said, tossing her a silver key and nodding to the room at the end of the hall. Sakura caught it and nodded back as he continued. "If you wanna drop off your jacket, go for it."

"Alright," Sakura said. She grinned. "I'll see you guys in a minute, alright?" She jogged down the hall and jimmied her room's door open, and Obito led them to a door on the opposite side of the building, letting them in with his key. It was a pretty small room, with two full beds and a cot under the window opposite the door, looking out onto the main street. Naruto and Sasuke poked around; the beds were in pretty good condition, and there was a bathroom hidden to the left of the tiny entryway.

"It's nice," Sasuke noted, flopping down on one of the beds and kicking off his shoes. "Why's Sakura got the other room?"

"Girl stuff," Obito said shortly, confirming Naruto's suspicions. "She asked me about it on the way down here. You don't have a problem with it, do you?"

Sasuke shrugged. "Could be trouble if a fight broke out."

Obito snorted. "I know you've had a weird career so far Sasuke, but this isn't that kind of place. The most violent thing anyone has seen here was probably someone falling out a window after getting too drunk."

"Mister Sugimoto's got all those scars," Naruto pointed out, and Obito nodded thoughtfully as he sat down on the cot.

"He was probably a soldier," he said, shucking off his pack and leaving it at the cot's side. "Those scars were from shrapnel; you wouldn't get those working at a place like this. Most likely, he was caught in an explosion when he was younger."

"You mean for the Daimyo?" Naruto asked. Obito nodded. "That's cool. Sucks he got blown up though."

"Well, he lived," Obito laughed. "And he set up a pretty nice B&B too. I'd call that a win if I were him."

Naruto wondered how many ninja could say the same. Ino's family had a flower shop, right? People retired and did other stuff all the time. He wondered if it would be okay to ask Sugimoto about the scars… but that would be kinda weird, he thought. They were only staying here for a day, and the old man was probably sick of the question by now.

"Hey!" Sakura pushed open the door to find all of them plopped down on their beds. "What, you guys are all tired out already?" she grinned. "We've still got a couple hours before dinner. Do you wanna look around town?"

"Nah," Sasuke said, crossing his arms behind his head and flopping back. "What's out there, anyway?"

"I saw ice cream," Sakura said. "There's probably more. But if you want to stay here…"

"Ice cream?" Naruto popped up. "Before dinner? You're a genius, Sakura."

She smiled at him. "Well, thanks for letting me know," she said dryly. "I guess we're going; do you want any, sensei?"

"Ice cream doesn't really agree with me," Obito chuckled. "You guys go. We'll meet you back here, alright?"

Naruto and Sakura said their temporary goodbyes and went out to explore the town, going door to door. Atsuitsa had a charming atmosphere to it as the sun set on it; most of the stores were closing up, but Naruto didn't care much about them anyway. They mostly sold knick knacks or clothes or travel gear, and he had plenty of all of that. He still stopped when Sakura stopped to point out something in a window though.

By the time they finally got the ice cream the sun was pretty much gone, and they sat on the boardwalk that ran alongside the storefronts besides the dirt road and ate it together. Sakura had gotten chocolate, but Naruto preferred cookies and cream; he liked flavors that had more stuff in them. They ate even the cones, and then dusted themselves off and rose to wander back towards Sugimoto's.

"It's quiet out here," Sakura said. "Nothing in Konoha would close this early."

"Yeah," Naruto agreed, just now noticing that. "I guess they take care of all their stuff early in the day. And they must not get a lot of visitors. Or maybe just this time of year?"

"Probably," Sakura said, cutely chewing her lip. "There's a lot of roads leading here, and lots of places to shop and stay. I bet in the summer it gets crazy."

They walked in companionable silence for another minute before Naruto spoke up again.

"Are you okay, Sakura?" She turned to him, not looking that surprised. "You're just a little… sad."

"Yeah." She didn't deny it, which he was glad for. He didn't know what he would have done if she'd lied to him. "I can't stop thinking about Waterfall, that's all." She laughed. "I was mad all the time before, but that was giving me a headache. It's okay to be sad instead, right?"

"Sure," Naruto said. It was a perfectly reasonable explanation, but for some reason that made something inside him prickle. Sakura wasn't supposed to be that easy to figure out. "It's nothing else, right?"

This time, Sakura hesitated. They were only a block from Sugimoto's now, but she paused on the boardwalk and glanced at him. "Yeah," she said. "But I can't tell you."

Naruto blinked. "Is it girl stuff?"

Sakura blinked back. "What?"

"Obito said you got another room 'cause of girl stuff," he said, not sure if he was digging himself into a hole or not. "Is that what you can't tell me?"

"Naruto…" Sakura laughed, her whole face flushing red, and Naruto tried to laugh with her. "You know what, ask me later, and I'll tell you, okay? I promise."

"Okay," Naruto said, glad he'd gotten her to laugh. "But you better."

"I will."

"You will?"

"Yes!" she laughed again. "Now drop it!"

He did, and they made their way back to room three. Sasuke and Obito were where they'd left them, lazing around, and they settled down together as a team, each taking up their own way to pass the time. Sakura, Naruto noticed, sat in the corner and read the book his mom had gifted her the day before. She didn't get too far in before closing it with a curious look. He thought about asking why, but didn't.

Before they knew it, it was time for dinner. It passed in the same quiet haze of unremarkable time that most of the day had. The dinner was a simple meal of fish and rice with some vegetables, but it was filling and Naruto was grateful for it. Most of the other guests in the Bed and Breakfast (and dinner, he wondered?) were down in the lobby at the same time, and he enjoyed looking around wondering who they were. A businessman in a fancy suit, a woman in a plain dress, two couples, and a lone man in the corner. None of them spoke with each other; they were all bound for other places, and that sense of transition kept anyone from pushing tables together.

When they said their thanks and went back upstairs, Obito gathered them in the hall.

"We're going to be heading out real early tomorrow, and it'll be a busy day after that," he said. "I'm going to bed early…" He gave Naruto and Sasuke meaningful glances. "Which means you are too."

"Ah, c'mon," Naruto groused. "We're not babies. It's not even nine!"

"You wanna get to the coast before noon?" Obito asked, and Naruto grudgingly nodded. "Then we should probably leave here before the sun's up. You wanna do that with a couple hours sleep?"

"Fine," he whined. Sasuke surrendered with a shrug, and Sakura's lip twisted.

"Alright," she said. "I'll see you guys in the morning."

But even after Sasuke and Obito turned to shuffle into their room, she didn't move, and Naruto noticed. He didn't move either, and then the two of them were alone in the hall.

"You going to bed?" he asked, and she sighed.

"Yeah. I'm really tired, actually," she said, cracking a weak smile. "I haven't been sleeping well. Weird dreams."

"Yeah, me too," Naruto said, not in a million years ever going to mention that those dreams were sometimes about her. To his shock, Sakura stepped in. For an insane second, he thought she might press her face against his, but instead she gave him a light hug.

"Have a good night, Naruto," she said, stepping back with bright eyes. "I'll see you later, okay?"

"Okay," Naruto said with a blink, not at all sure what had just happened. "You too, Sakura." She turned and walked away down the hall, and he stumbled back into his room. Sasuke gave him a curious look.

"You look like a tomato," he said, and that just made Naruto blush harder. "Something happen?"

"No!" Naruto declared, sure they knew he was lying. "Nothing!" He saw Obito give him a doubtful glance from the cot, but the man turned right over and settled in to sleep.

"Naruto," their sensei grumbled. "Grab the light, would you?"

He did, and then slipped into his bed. After a day of traveling, it was easy for him to fall asleep, even with the sound of Obito's snoring.

In the muddled time of sleep, Naruto had a familiar dream.

###

He jerked awake, struggling up against the thick blankets draped over his body, and blinked. He wasn't sure what had woken him up. It hadn't been the dream, his sleepy brain insisted. Something was wrong.

No snoring, he realized after a second. Naruto had idea what time it was, but looking out the window there was nothing but darkness. It was definitely later, maybe a little after midnight. The room didn't have a clock.

Obito wasn't there. That's what it was, he realized. He hadn't been woken up by his sensei leaving, but his absence had pulled him out of his sleep anyway.

Why wouldn't he be there? It didn't make any sense. Naruto rolled out of bed, looking around, trying to snap awake and struggling towards it instead. Sasuke was still there, still sleeping, sometimes stirring. He'd always been a light sleeper, but Naruto had woken up first anyway. How weird was that?

Was it because he'd already had the sense something was wrong?

"Sasuke," he muttered, prodding his friend, and Sasuke snorted awake, rolling over to glare at him.

"Naruto? What…" He jerked, glancing back. "Where's Obito?"

"I don't know," Naruto whispered. No one could have taken Obito and just left them. That didn't make sense. He must have gone on himself. Why?

Sasuke jumped out of his bed, slipping his clothes on, and Naruto followed suit, feeling sure that was a good idea. "C'mon," he said. "Let's go get Sakura." He opened the door without a sound and padded down the corridor. Naruto followed right behind him, every sense stretching as he fully awoke. The whole town was sleeping. There wasn't any sound or light anywhere. It was like a graveyard.

His teammate reached Sakura's door first and tried the knob. It wasn't locked; Sasuke slid the door open as silently as the last one.

Sakura wasn't inside. Naruto blinked, rushing past his friend to look around. She wasn't there. In fact, nothing was there; none of her belongings, her jacket, nothing. The bed was even made. It was like no one had even stayed in the room.

"What the fuck," Sasuke muttered behind him, and Naruto spun around. His friend's Sharingan were shining in the dark, looking around. "She walked right out…" he said, staring at the floor. "Her and Obito both. Where were they going?"

"Where?" Naruto demanded. His stomach was dropping, a sick feeling that made him feel a thousand times heavier. Sasuke nodded towards the stairs leading down to the lobby.

They both rushed down the hall and down the stairs, still focusing on staying silent and with Naruto in the lead. It didn't last long; he came to a sudden halt as soon as he stepped into the lobby, Sasuke almost crashing into his back.

Obito was there, sitting at a table in the center of the lobby and staring right at them. His Sharingan was active, two glowing red pools in the pitch black. He raised a drink to his lips; Naruto smelled coffee.

"So," he said, so quiet that Naruto could barely hear him. "You guys woke up. You've got good instincts."

"Obito." Sasuke stepped ahead of Naruto and beat him to the punch. His voice was just as quiet as Obito's, and sharp. "What's going on?"

"Hmm." Their sensei took a sip of his coffee. "You noticed Sakura left?"

"Where is she?" Naruto said, not bothering to be as quiet. Obito made a shushing motion.

"I'll tell you in a second," he said. "But be quiet, please. We shouldn't be rude."

"You're stalling," Sasuke said, drawing closer to Obito. "She left. Why?"

Obito hesitated and then sighed, putting down his coffee. "I decided to leave it to whether you guys woke up or not," he said, and then let out a little laugh. "I guess I'm still a coward at heart."

He straightened up. "Sakura's defecting to the Nation of Rain."

Naruto felt the world fall away from under his feet. He blinked, staring at his teacher and playing the impossible words over in his head.

"No…" he said, and Sasuke glanced back at him. His friend was doing a better job of controlling himself, like usual, but there was still something crazy in his Sharingan. "She promised me she wouldn't."

"She did," Obito said, drumming his fingers on the table. "But she's going on your father's orders."

Naruto blinked again, considering the words once, twice, a third time. It still didn't make any more sense, didn't settle in his mind. He felt something in the back of his head change, like a switch going on and off.

"Dad?" His voice sounded to him like it was coming from far away. "Why?"

"She's going to find the Nanabi," Obito said, and as he continued speaking Naruto continued to fall into himself, feeling like he was watching everything from behind his eyes. Obito's words came through softer and softer. "Rain is too strong to provoke openly, and too secretive for anyone to just walk in and find out the truth for themselves."

His face twisted. "Even me. So he decided to send Sakura. She's to join the village and rise up the ranks. Find out if Itachi really was working for them, and if so if they've kept Fuu as the Jinchuriki or taken the Beast for one of their own ninja. No one knows how long it will take. And then when she's done, she'll defect again, back to the Leaf."

Obito shifted, leaning forward. He looked as though he were cut from stone. "She was the perfect choice. She's inexperienced but strong, and full of potential. She could do anything, with the right training. She's idealistic, but intelligent enough to question herself and what she believes. Rain already recognized all of that, and already approached her themselves back at the Exam. They want her: they'll be willing to overlook her flaws, the fact she might just be too good to be true. That's what will make her the perfect spy. Do you understand, Naruto?"

Naruto didn't say anything. He couldn't say anything. He stood there in the lobby, watching the world as he'd understood it fly farther and farther away. This is why she'd been so sad, he thought. She'd known. She'd known and she hadn't been able to tell them.

I don't want Sakura to go, he thought.

We're supposed to be a team.

I really like her.

She can't go.

I don't want to leave her side.

We're supposed to-

'You're a team,' the vibrant memory of his mother said with a soft smile, and Naruto snapped back into himself. He took a deep breath, and clenched his fists.

"Yeah," he said.

"But I don't give a shit."

Obito cocked his head, and Sasuke nodded. "He's right," he said, and Obito gave him an incredulous look. "How's she getting there? Just walking?"

"We gave her that piece of paper Haku offered her," Obito said, watching them both carefully. "It was full of chakra; the chakra of Amekage who came, Konan. Sensei thought it was probably some sort of summoning seal. Sakura's going to go sign it and see what happens." His eyes narrowed. "You know I can't let you go after her, right?"

"You can't fight us, Obito," Sasuke said. His face split in a sneer. "You'll wake up the guests."

Obito considered them.

Faster than Naruto could react, he broke into a full sprint and passed straight through the table. His hand slammed into Naruto's face, and there was the familiar sensation of being sucked down an infinitely long drain. Naruto welcomed it.

He blinked, and Obito's hand came away. They were inside the Kamui, the endless stone space lit by a sourceless pale light.

"How about-?" Obito started to ask, and Naruto tried to punch him in the face.

His sensei leaned back and dodged the blow effortlessly, but he was obviously surprised. That meant that Sasuke, who had also been dragged in, had the less than a tenth of a second necessary to at least try to tackle him from the side. Naruto's friend actually managed to brush their teacher before Obito leapt up, over the grapple. Naruto jumped after him, trying to knock him out of the air.

Obito spun and kicked him in the chest, and Naruto was sent flying back, crashing into the cold stone that filled the Kamui. He rolled head over heels to his feet and charged back in as Sasuke received a similar treatment: Obito simply used his superior reach and strength to bodily haul Sasuke from his feet and toss him away, in the opposite direction of Naruto.

"What the hell are you doing?" Obito shouted, and Naruto went at him once again, desperate to knock him down. They clashed for a second, fist against fist, but it was hopeless. Obito's Sharingan could see every punch Naruto was going to throw even before he knew, and the man was bigger and stronger too. Even without the Kamui, there was no way Naruto could ever beat him, not by himself.

But he wasn't by himself, 'cause the second before Obito committed and knocked him away again, Sasuke was there. Two against one was still hopeless, but it wasn't an instant loss.

"What the hell are you doing?!" Naruto shouted back, and Obito replied with a punch to the face. Naruto spat out the pain and replied with a kick, and their shins smashed together. "You just let Sakura go alone!"

"That's the mission she was given!" Obito roared, suddenly loud and violent, and his hesitation vanished. He smashed Naruto away with a haymaker and turned to Sasuke with a blinding kick. Naruto hit the ground and bounced, and as he watched, Sasuke…

Stood his ground.

Sharingan against Sharingan, both burning red tracers in the dim light of the Kamui, the Uchiha's duel more resembled a dance than a fight, not a single part of them staying still for an instant. Obito tried to knock Sasuke down, his leg sweeping in to take Sasuke's knee, and Naruto's friend flipped right over the attack and kicked their sensei in the face.

"You're too used to fighting like a ghost, Obito!" Sasuke snarled, and then before he could land Obito's fist crashed down on his shoulder like a lightning bolt. Sasuke smashed into the stone and gasped, the air knocked out of him. Obito raised his foot to strike him again, but Naruto was already charging from behind. He hit the back of Obito's knee with enough force to shatter a normal person's bones and their sensei tipped backwards, thrown off balance.

Sasuke took advantage of the heartbeat he'd been given. He didn't bother rising to his feet; he just pivoted and smashed both of his feet into Obito's groin, sending the man toppling backwards over Naruto. They both heard the older man suck in a pained breath, and he rolled backwards as he hit the ground, instantly coming to his feet before staggering back a step.

"Okay," he muttered. He glared at the both of them, crimson eyes rotating ever more violently. "If that's the way we're doing this."

"Take us to Sakura!" Naruto shouted, charging in and trusting Sasuke would back him up. He went low and Sasuke went high, trying to stalemate their sensei.

But Obito was an elite Jonin for a reason. In the same motion he stepped down on Naruto's ducked shoulder, hard, slamming him into the ground, and caught Sasuke's kick out of the air with one hand: he whipped Sasuke around like a new weapon and then smashed him down on Naruto.

It was as though a building had been dropped on him; Naruto's vision went white, and he couldn't even think of breathing. He tried to scrabble forward, to say something, do anything, but for a second, he was paralyzed. It was long enough for Obito to flip him away with the top of his foot, like someone kicking a ball.

Naruto blacked out for a heartbeat and woke up when he hit the ground. He pulled himself back up, feeling unbelievably heavy. His whole torso was one big bruise, and he could feel blood trickling from his nose. He wiped it away with a snarl.

Obito was still holding Sasuke by the leg, watching him like he would any other enemy. He grimaced.

"What're you hoping to do, Naruto?" he said, tossing Sasuke at Naruto's feet. His teammate groaned, his teeth covered in blood, and Naruto bent down to help him up. The second he took his eyes off Obito, a kick smashed into his chest; Naruto tumbled backwards, the wind knocked out of him once more. "I'm not going to hold back on you."

Naruto hauled himself upright once more, and Sasuke did the same behind Obito. They were both panting and bleeding; their teacher had a swollen lip and a couple bruises, but nothing more.

"We're gonna beat you," Naruto gasped. "And we're going to go get Sakura."

"She wants to go, Naruto," Obito said, his face flat. "You couldn't stop her."

"Stop her?" Sasuke asked, and he laughed. Obito looked back at him, confused. "You moron. Why would we do that?"

"We don't want to stop her, you jackass!" Naruto shouted. Even talking made his chest hurt. "We can't let her go alone!"

Obito blinked.

"What?"

"If she's going to Rain, we're going with her," Sasuke said, starting to circle Obito as their teacher watched them both, stunned. "That's the first rule of being a team, right? Don't get split up."

Obito stood there, apparently at a loss for words. He looked back and forth between them, keeping track even as he stayed silent.

"You…" he said. He flexed his hands. "You're not trying to stop her. You want to join her?"

"What else could we do?!" Naruto shouted. "She took the mission! It's her decision; we couldn't tell her otherwise!" He could feel something dripping down his cheeks; warm as blood, but not as sticky. Was he crying? "Sakura's smarter than either of us; if she thinks she should go, she's probably right! But she shouldn't go alone! She's been sad! She needs help!"

"He's right," Sasuke said. "Sakura is strong, but alone on an infiltration mission she'll be compromised quickly. She needs support." He gritted his teeth. "We're her support, Obito."

"This isn't a mission for you," Obito said, still not dropping his guard. "Naruto, Sasuke, you're both too…"

"Valuable?" Sasuke spat, and Naruto was astonished to see their sensei flinch. "We weren't picked because I'm the next famous Uchiha, and he's the Hokage's son, right?" He stepped forward, his whole body shaking. "Right!?"

Naruto realized right in that second that even if that wasn't what Obito was going to say, that was how the world saw Sakura. That was how he had seen her for the first couple weeks they were a team, even if he hadn't thought about it that way. She was someone without a clan, without famous parents, without a famous ninjutsu. Sakura was smart and beautiful and she could do anything she tried, but because she came from a normal family of normal shinobi she was someone his dad would send away on a mission to another country for as long as it took to accomplish a task that might be impossible.

Sakura was smart, and beautiful, and expendable. Naruto felt his teeth grind together, and Obito shot him a concerned look.

"Obvious," Obito said, sounding defeated. "I was going to say obvious. Rain didn't approach either of you; they wouldn't see you as actual defectors, just more spies. They'd keep you in the dark and use your power, but there's no way you'd be able to accomplish the mission."

"But Sakura still could," Naruto said, taking a step forward. "She could."

"I don't think so," Obito said, settling into a relaxed taijutsu stance. "If you went with her, it would put her under suspicion. Most likely, they'll split you up and keep her isolated. You can't help her."

"That will happen anyway," Sasuke said. "She rejected their offer the first time; they're going to wonder what changed. They'll realize it's the Nanabi right away if Itachi really was working for them." He moved in as well, the both of them closing on their sensei.

"That's true," Obito said. "But that's why it's important that she's actually sympathetic to the Akatsuki. They'll think they can turn her, so they'll still invest in her."

"If we're not there," Naruto said quietly, "they will."

Obito paused, and Naruto lowered his head. "Cause we'll have abandoned her. We'll have abandoned our teammate, and just let her run off to do something impossible on her own."

Obito stiffened, but Naruto hardly noticed, the words pouring out of him. "And she'll know it. She's too smart not to." He was definitely crying now; he could taste the salt. "She'll know we just ran home and let her do a mission like that alone, and she'll think the Akatsuki is right. That ninja outside of Rain are just tools. Sasuke and I'll have proved it."

He looked up to find Obito staring at him. No; that wasn't it. He was staring past them. Obito wasn't seeing him and Sasuke anymore.

"Worse than trash," his sensei muttered, and Naruto cocked his head, not sure if he'd heard right.

"Eh?"

Obito looked back and forth between him and Sasuke as if realizing they were there, and then lowered his hands. The man looked torn, his eyes hollow.

"I just remembered…" he said, his voice faint, and he laughed. "I was wondering why this seemed familiar."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Sasuke said, pressing a hand against one of his ribs and hissing. Obito turned to face him with a wild look.

"The day I became Mangekyo no Obito," he said, his voice intense. "I told you about it, didn't I?"

He had, Naruto remembered. On their way to Tanzaku Gai.

"Rin said that you guys showed up to save her, and he died," he said, not treating what was probably a delicate topic with an ounce of respect. "What's it matter?"

"That was only half the story," Obito said. "There was something I never told Rin." He rubbed his swollen lip and snorted. "Kakashi didn't want to save her."

"What a prick," Sasuke said flatly. Obito chuckled. Naruto couldn't understand the change in his teacher's mood.

"Sometimes, yeah," he said. "But he came through. I said something to him… and it changed his mind." He chuckled again, shaking his head. "And I… I totally forgot it. That was the most important day of my life and I forgot what I said. Can you believe that?"

"Why're you telling us this, Obito?" Naruto asked. Obito frowned.

"There was a Stone ninja who tried to stop us," he said, mostly to himself. "He cut out Kakashi's eye. And I'm that guy? I'm that cocky asshole?" He shook his head, and sat down. "Unbelievable. What the fuck am I doing?"

"Obito, neither of us have any idea what you're talking about," Sasuke said. "Are you gonna let us out or not?" Obito sighed.

"Those who break the rules are trash," he said. "But someone who'd abandon their friends is worse than trash." He gestured for them to come sit as well and Naruto cautiously approached, wondering if this was some weird ploy to knock them out. But his sensei was radiating sincerity, and so Naruto took a seat. "That's what I told him. Kakashi wanted to continue the mission without Rin, and I said we had to go back for her. Do you see what I'm talking about?"

It was kinda the reverse of their situation, Naruto could tell, but he still couldn't see why his sensei was so affected. This was something that could only make sense to Obito, he thought.

"You're right that Sakura needs backup," Obito mused. "I was planning to keep an eye on her, but that was a dangerous idea. You two would be better for that." He gave them a serious look. "Sensei told me I had the final call for if she should go or not. He didn't mean it like this, but you guys are right. You're what will give the mission the best chance of succeeding; you two can keep her on track. I don't know how we didn't see it."

Naruto felt his heart beating faster as the reality of what they were talking about sunk in. "So, you'll let us go?" he said, and Obito nodded.

"You understand what you're saying, right?" Obito said, and they both nodded. "If you go after her, there's no going back. She's going on a mission: you'll actually be defecting."

"We'll be back," Naruto said. "So it won't be for real." He cracked a smile. "And with three of us, the mission will go three times faster. We'll get Fuu back in like, a week."

"You'll be despised, Obito," Sasuke said quietly, and Naruto gave him a look. "If you let us go? I didn't… You'll be the guy who lost all his students." He sat back, struck by the enormity of what they were saying. "I don't know if-"

"I've been despised before," Obito said without hesitation. "I can live with it." Then, he did hesitate. "But I don't know if I could live with letting Sakura go alone."

They sat in silence at that, nearly half a minute, until Obito stood up. "I'm going to regret this," he said, and then he offered both of them a hand. "Link up, okay?"

"You're not going to send us back, are you?" Naruto asked, taking his sensei's hand, and Obito smiled.

"I'll leave it up to you two," he said.

"This whole time, ever since I was assigned you, I've been trying to keep you safe. I never wanted to put you in any danger. But no matter what I did, you were always getting into trouble. It followed you around, sought us out. Team Seven was a lightning rod, the other jounin-sensei told me. They couldn't believe it. I couldn't keep you safe. All I could do was train you to do it yourself."

"I didn't want Sakura to go, but I was able to do it because I knew it was the right decision for the village. But letting her go alone isn't the right decision for her. Sensei told me I'd be the one to make the final decision for her, but she made it for me; all I can do now is give you guys the same choice. You're my team. That's the least you can have. It'll humiliate the village, but Konoha is strong enough to survive that."

"You three will always be stronger together: if you need to grow stronger in Rain instead of with me for a while, that's just how things have to be. It's like Rin says: you can't control everything."

"Good luck."

There was a swirl of space folding over itself.

"Till next time, okay?"

They vanished, and the Kamui was empty once more.

###

With every step through the grass, Sakura crushed her doubts underfoot.

She was running through the dark away from life as she knew it, so there was plenty of it to crush.

'You're the only one who can do this.'

The voice inside her, usually so bitter, was elated. It pushed her on instead of down. The voice was her; that meant she was making the right decision, right?

'It's too late to look back,' she thought, the grass parting before her. She was almost far enough away. She didn't want to write on the paper until she had some distance from everything she'd known. She couldn't bear it otherwise.

'You just have to keep moving forward.'

And yet, she couldn't help but remember the past. It played in the shadows around her, so thick that they seemed to hold some invisible secret.

They had all met a week ago, her parents and her sensei and the Hokage and her. They had stood before the Hokage's desk as if reporting on a mission instead of being given one, and he'd peered out from behind it with an understanding look.

"I understand if it will be difficult to maintain the story," he said, and her mother had nodded. "But it's crucial for her."

"Of course," Mebuki had said, and Sakura had been impressed at how stoic she was. She hadn't liked the idea, and she'd said so.

"Don't worry, honey," her father had said. "Lots of kids argue with their parents. If people want to believe that was the final straw, plenty of them will buy it."

To Sakura, who had just fixed her relationship with them, it had seemed deeply unfair. But it was what all of them had decided; the minor arguments after the Chunin Exam were to be blown up beyond repair, to make her leaving just a little more believable. Just a little more tragic. Hurt girl, running from home; what could be better? And if her parents agreed, it would be the final nail in the coffin.

"It's her choice to take the mission or not," the Hokage had said. "Even now. No one will judge you if you turn it down; no one will even know. But your experience and suitability make you perfect, Sakura."

It was an open ended objective. Depending on how aggressive and lucky she was, it could take a month, or a year. Or more. The official story would be defection. The shadows danced with the story of Sakura's past, and she ran away from it.

Top secret stuff. No one would know.

Outside the village for maybe years, with the brand of traitor firmly stamped on her. It was a terrifying prospect. Even two months ago, Sakura could never have dreamed of it.

But now she was covered in Waterfall's ashes, and for some reason that made her ready. Maybe she was just lying to herself. Maybe she would break down the second she committed.

'You're the only one who can do it.'

Sakura kept moving.

The paper in her pack was chakra reactive, she'd been told. Nothing else about it seemed strange; if there was a hidden jutsu in it, it wasn't one that could be detected by anyone in Konoha. Haku had told her it would make someone appear, but Sakura wasn't sure how that was possible.

Once she signed that paper, she was on her own. Everything else would be up to her.

She would be a Chunin the second she did. Taking the mission would be showing the necessary maturity for promotion, was what her sensei had said. What would it matter in another Village though? It wouldn't be like she could tell Rain that she'd become a Chnunin for deciding to go there.

Sakura giggled, feeling a bizarre sense of freedom. It was strange and scary and wonderful all at the same time. She'd never had her own future in the palm of her hand; it felt like for the first time in forever, she had a real choice.

'You've learned to sacrifice for the Village, and for the Will of Fire. That's the most important lesson a ninja of the Leaf can learn. On that front, I've got nothing left to teach you.'

'That's what being a ninja is.'

There was a contact for her to meet in Amegakure, the Hokage had said. She wouldn't be alone. But she wasn't allowed to know who it was. He'd told her this one on one; the actual briefing for the mission, after her parents had left, not the offer at the training ground.

"Rain's biggest secret is also its most powerful," he'd said. "It's what made sensei decide to train the Amekage all those years ago, before I met him." He'd showed her a sketch. It was of an eye, but nothing like any eye Sakura had ever seen. Even the Sharingan looked recognizable, if strange and far too red. This one had been colored a faint purple, and the pupil was surrounded by concentric rings, like ripples in a pond.

"This is the Rinnegan," the Hokage had said. "It's a one of a kind doujutsu possessed by one of the Amekage, Nagato. Sakura, these are the most dangerous eyes in the world."

"I'll spare you a history lesson, but the last person to manifest these eyes decided the course of the world. The Rinnegan's something that can't be quantified. It gives those that possess it an impossibly deep understanding of chakra. When Nagato was young, younger than you, he was able to master all five Elements in a very short amount of time, and that was just a rudimentary example of his proficiency. You understand what I mean? He can never be underestimated."

There was a clearing coming, Sakura saw: a secluded area where she would be able to see someone coming from every direction but be able to conceal herself in the tall grass. The perfect place.

"The very first test any defector faces in Amegakure is administered by him. It's a simple interrogation; our source went through it as well. We've been told that if you lie, you die; he's apparently infallible. When you face that test, Sakura, you must only tell the truth. Even if they ask you if you've been sent by us, you have to tell them so. They'll most likely know you're not a true defector; the trick will be making them think you're converting. Even if you have to deceive yourself."

Sakura had nodded. She could do that. If there was anything she was sure of, it was her ability to trick herself.

Now, she nodded to herself again, shucking her pack and digging through it in the center of the field. She rummaged through her birthday gifts: she'd brought every single one of them. Would they think she was selfish, or understand the message? Sakura hoped for the best but feared the worst.

She found the paper and withdrew it, considering it carefully. It was light in her hand and fluttered in the light breeze that blew the grass to and fro. The grass produced a faint whisper as she withdrew a pen from her pocket.

Sakura stopped.

She didn't know what she should write. All this worrying and preparing, and she hadn't once thought about what she should actually write.

A dozen messages drifted through her mind, and she shook them away. Trying too hard, too earnest, too cynical. She was defecting. Sakura Haruno was defecting. The message would have to be one that would come from Sakura Haruno, former ninja of Konoha. It would be simple, and straightforward, and a little fed up.

I want to leave, Sakura wrote in her flowing script, the handwriting her parents had always been so proud and her classmates so envious of. This isn't the place for me.

It was hard to see even in the light of the waxing crescent moon, but as Sakura watched the most important words she'd ever written sank into the paper, the ink fading from sight. She blinked; the paper was too thin for the ink to vanish entirely, so where was it going? The paper bucked once in her hands, like a living thing.

She tried to follow the flow of chakra, but even with the paper in her hand the configuration was too complicated for her to comprehend. Whatever jutsu was animating the paper required control that made her Ryusuiken look like a child's exercise.

A second later the ink returned, squirming out of the paper in a new configuration. Sakura watched it worm into new words in awe.

Wait, it wrote out.

We are coming.

Sakura sat back in the grass, feeling the waving stalks caress her back, and sighed. That was that, she thought. She felt as she had when she'd first given the paper up, like an invisible weight had finally been pulled off her back. There in the rustling darkness, alone in the night, Sakura felt a sudden kind of tranquility that she could only sit back and marvel at.

'I'm meant to be here,' she thought, looking up at the shining moon.

'That's why you feel this way. Because you're doing the right thing.'

Sakura sat there in silence, and enjoyed the feeling, and waited to be taken away.

A couple minutes later, her tranquility snapped like a bone.

"SAKURA!"

Sakura sat bolt upright, half-dazing in the field. She blinked.

That was Naruto's voice. Naruto was looking for her. Naruto was here. She dropped low by instinct, concealing herself in the grass, and the call came again. Maybe a hundred meters away, just beyond the field.

How the hell had they found her? Sakura felt panic worming at her heart and crushed it like she had her doubt. Had they gotten past Obito? That was impossible: he'd said he would keep them from coming after her, even after he told them. Since it was completely impossible that they could have beaten or evaded Obito, that only left…

That he'd sent them.

'He doesn't think you can do it.'

Sakura's face twisted into a sneer as she pressed it into the dirt, trying to erase her existence. Sasuke had a Sharingan, and if Naruto was here he was too. He could follow her trail, and if she wasn't careful, he might even see her chakra boiling into the air. She had to move, or they'd find her for sure.

"Sakura!" Naruto was closer now, at the edge of the field. She heard an echo as Sasuke repeated the call. "Come on out!"

Sakura stayed pressed in the dirt. She couldn't relocate now, she thought. If she moved, the grass would give her away. Even a shinobi couldn't travel through a grass field without disturbing a stalk. She'd have to travel with the wind, mask her movement by mirroring it. That was the only way.

"Sakura," Sasuke said, his voice clear over the distance. "We're not here to stop you." Sakura's heart froze.

"We're here to help you."

"NO!" Of everything that could have been said, that was what shot Sakura to her feet. She screamed the word so loud that Naruto and Sasuke flinched even as they turned to watch her pop out of the grass. "Go away!"

"We're not going away!" Naruto shouted back, running forward into the grass and bulldozing a path towards her. Sakura was frozen, unable to advance or retreat. She could only watch her teammate come right for her, his eyes shining in the moonlight. Sasuke followed behind him at a more relaxed pace. They were both covered in bruises: there was blood running from Naruto's nose. What had happened? "You can't do this alone!"

'No matter where you go, they'll overshadow you.'

"I can!" Sakura screamed back. "I have to! You don't understand, Naruto! You're going to ruin everything!" Without conscious thought, her hand fell to the sword at her side.

Naruto didn't stop coming, and for a heartbeat Sakura had to fight the insane urge to swing at him. Her hand tightened around her sword's hilt before sanity reasserted itself. What was she going to do? Cut down her own teammate? That was ridiculous.

She relaxed and Naruto reached her, eyes wide.

"Okay," he panted, before straightening up and grinning, wiping away some dried blood on his lip. "Basically, Sasuke and I think you've got two options."

"Naruto, you have to go," Sakura said, hearing her voice crack. "You can't be here. I've got leave. Someone's coming to get me already."

He ignored her. "So, either you let us come with you," he said, scratching the back of his head, "or Sasuke and I beat the crap out of you and drag you back to the village. Y'know, like if you were actually defecting."

"As if!" Sakura startled herself, and Naruto's grin only split wider. "I could take both of you; don't make me prove it!"

Naruto's grin faded for a moment; he wasn't sure if she was joking or not. Sakura wasn't sure either. She could use the Ryusuiken non-lethally if she tried, she was sure, and they were both already hurt. Knock them both away, or at least stall until Rain's agent arrived… but how long would that take?

Was she really considering this? She blinked, stepping back from herself.

'What are you doing?'

'Are you really going to fight your friends because they want to help?'

As Sakura took a breath and tried to comprehend the situation, Sasuke stepped forward.

"Sakura," he said, and she focused on him. Where Naruto was brash and speaking from the heart, Sasuke was smart and could be cold when he needed to. He'd understand why they absolutely could not come.

That wasn't what he said. "We always work best as a team," he said, and the truth of it stung her. "On that first C-Rank, in the Exam, in Waterfall; we all would have died if it weren't for each other." Another step. "You can't go alone. You could, but it's only going to make things that much harder. It's stupid. It doesn't make sense that you alone got picked."

"Sasuke," she tried to say, and he shook his head.

"This was the whole point of what they did. Don't you remember what Kushina told you?" he asked, and Sakura couldn't help but nod. "They gave you that paper so they could get all of us. We're not outside of their expectations; it'll just be too good to be true. They'll question it, but they can't afford to turn all of us down."

So logical. She was stupid to think he would have used that against her. Sakura felt something prick at her eye.

"This way, you won't be alone in enemy territory," Sasuke said, spreading his hands wide. "None of us will. They'll separate us for sure, but it'll be better than being separated by a whole country, right?"

"You morons," Sakura whispered, afraid something inside her would break if she was louder. "You're not ready. I've been training for this for a whole month. I'm ready to leave; I've said goodbye. You'll be leaving things halfway!" She managed to speak up, her voice coming to life. "Naruto, you'll be leaving your family! What will your dad think?"

"He'll think 'jeez, maybe I shouldn't have sent his teammate alone, I'm such a dipshit,'" Naruto said with a snort. His face fell a little. "And mom… she'll understand. She's always talking about how sometimes you don't get to make the choice. This time, I'm making it."

Sakura shook her head, changing tactics. "Sasuke, you…" she faltered, seeing the cold look in his eye. He hated his mother now; leaving her wouldn't cause him a moment of hesitation. "You told Hinata you'd go on a date with her! You'll be a real scumbag if you don't show up!"

"What?" Sasuke's whole body twitched. "That's not…" Naruto shot him a disbelieving look, and Sasuke stared back at him in horror. "That's not what I agreed to!"

"Sasuke," Naruto said. "Are you stupid? That's definitely what that was." Sasuke considered, and then slowly began rubbing his forehead, staring ahead blankly. He'd completely frozen up.

Sakura let out a high laugh. "See? You've both got things you can't afford to leave behind! That's why I got picked and you didn't! So please, get out of here!"

"No," Sasuke muttered, and Naruto nodded in agreement. Sakura's heart broke and knitted back together in the same moment.

"We're coming with you. We'll figure out if Fuu is there or not, and then we'll bail. Simple as that," Naruto said. Sakura's hands curled into fists, and he held his up in surrender. "I'll be following you and Sasuke cause I don't want to get left behind, and Sasuke'll be looking for his brother. We've all got reasons. They won't want to turn me away for having a crappy one 'cause I'm the Hokage's son. They can't afford to ditch me."

"I don't…" Sakura said, closing her eyes.

'I don't care that it's a good argument.'

'I don't care that I was going to be alone.'

'I don't deserve this.'

"I don't understand why you're doing this," she finally said, barely audible over the rustle of the grass. "I don't understand why you'd leave everything for me. It doesn't make sense."

Naruto paused, and shared a glance with Sasuke. The Uchiha shrugged.

"You're our friend, Sakura," he said. Sakura could feel her heartbeat throughout her whole body. "What the hell kind of friends would we be if we let you do something like this alone?"

Sakura stood there in the field unable to breathe, and when she opened her eyes Naruto was smiling at her. Her heartbeat jumped.

She had no choice but to surrender.

"Okay," she said quietly, taking a deep breath. "You guys know this is gonna suck though, right?"

"Hey, it could be fun," Naruto said, taking his victory with perfect magnanimity. "Missions are always fun, and this is gonna be a really cool one, right?"

"Probably not," Sasuke said. "I doubt they'll let us do anything interesting at first."

Sakura laughed. "Definitely," she said, feeling an uncontrollable giggle work its way up through her gut. "Indefinite house arrest, for sure."

"Ah man…" Naruto said with a grin. "But I always heard rogue ninja had super dangerous lives."

Was this really happening, or was this a moonlit dream? Sakura couldn't tell. She sat down in the grass, and her teammates joined her in the dirt.

They sat there as the grass rustled around them for a time that couldn't be quantified as Sakura processed just how much her teammates were willing to give up for her, and eventually she spoke up.

"What happened to you guys anyway?" she asked. Naruto laughed.

"We tried to run after you, and Obito beat me up with Sasuke," he said. Sakura raised an eyebrow.

"You mean, Obito-sensei beat you and Sasuke up?" she said. Sasuke grunted.

"No," he said, and Naruto was quick to change the subject.

"So, you already used the paper, huh?" he asked, and Sakura nodded.

"Yeah," she said, digging it out of her pocket and showing it to him. The words hadn't changed. "That wasn't what I wrote; the ink changed after I put it down."

"Huh," Naruto said as he examined it. "That's neat. Can I grab a pen?"

Sakura handed it over silently, not wanting to feel as comfortable as she did, and while she and Sasuke watched Naruto scribbled something else on the paper in his rough handwriting.

We're coming too!

The ink faded away like it had last time, and returned anew a second later.

Wait, it said this time.

We are coming for you.

Not much of a change, but for some reason the extra words made Sakura frown. Two more words for two more people. Was that all? Had Rain really been expecting that all three of them would defect?

They waited with nothing to say. They were all afraid that something would change if they spoke; that someone would realize a mistake was being made. Fifteen, thirty, forty minutes. Sakura was beginning to doze off again; she hadn't thought it would take this long for some reason. Naruto was doing the same. Sasuke was still fully alert, his Sharingan active and scanning the treeline. He'd always needed the least sleep of them. Even if it was the most important day of her life, Sakura was still exhausted.

Forty-four minutes after they'd written on the paper, Sasuke stood up.

"Something's coming," he said, and just like that Sakura and Naruto were fully awake. They watched as Sasuke looked up, his Sharingan growing wide.

"What…" he muttered, and then in the light of the moon Sakura saw it too.

A woman with white wings, soaring through the sky.

As Team Seven watched, the woman glided down towards them with the moon at her back. Her wings flapped leisurely, too slowly to truly support her, and Sakura blinked.

It was Konan, she thought. One of the Amekage themselves was coming for them. She was frozen, the weight of their future bearing down on her with impossible finality.

The woman smiled at her, the same smile that she'd given Sakura when she'd judged her at the end of the Exam, and landed so gently that even the grass wasn't disturbed.

"Good morning," she said in her melodic voice, as if she was greeting them in the street instead of in the middle of a field. "A little early to be defecting, isn't it?"

Was she talking about the time of day, or the fact it had barely been more than two months since the Exam? Or both? Sakura couldn't tell. All her senses were stretched to absurdity. Every single word carried infinite import.

Act confident, she thought, breathing in. Be yourself. Be Sakura Haruno, defector.

But Sakura Haruno, defector, wasn't supposed to be there with her teammates, and Sakura found it hard to pretend that wasn't the case.

"Amekage," she said, and Konan raised an eyebrow. "Haku told me to write in that paper if I ever felt like Konoha wasn't the right place for me." It wasn't rehearsed, but Sakura felt the words coming as if she'd been running them through her head for years. "And I don't think it is. I want to go with you. We," she said, gesturing at her friends, "want to go with you. I… I want to find out more about the Akatsuki."

It wasn't even a lie. Sakura was proud of herself. Konan regarded her with a gentle curiosity, and then nodded.

"Of course," she said, and Sakura couldn't believe she'd been accepted that easily. "And what about you two?" she asked, glancing at Naruto and Sasuke. Her eyes skimmed over their bruises with obvious interest.

"She was trying to sneak away," Naruto said indignantly, lying like only a single child could. "Like she couldn't even tell us what she was thinking." He jerked his head towards Sasuke. "And this asshole was too. I couldn't stop both of them, and I'm sure as hell not going to let them just run off on their own."

"Ha." Konan let out a little laugh. "That's very noble of you, Namikaze," she said, and Naruto grinned meanly. "You were hoping to leave too, Sasuke Uchiha?" she continued, and Sasuke grunted.

"The last time I saw my brother, he said he was working for you," he said with a glare, and Konan shifted, not saying anything one way or the other. "I need to find him." How could he be that confident, Sakura thought, to stare down another Kage without flinching? Sasuke was definitely the strongest of them.

This time, Konan's laugh was louder. "So," she said, pointing at Sakura, and then Sasuke. "In search of ideals, and vengeance. And you…" She lingered on Naruto. "You're a fine shinobi, Naruto Namikaze. Do you know how many ninja would simply forsake their comrades for changing the symbol on their forehead?"

Naruto looked surprised at the compliment, and Konan shook her head. "If you'd truly chase your friends to another village, you're exactly the kind of ninja we're looking for." Her smile turned a little sour. "But defecting is not as easy as just saying so. You'll all be questioned; are you prepared for that?"

Sakura and Sasuke nodded, and Naruto snorted. "Try me," he said, crossing his arms. Konan's grin matched his.

"I'm happy to hear that," she said, stepping forward. "Hold out your hands."

They all did it without hesitation, the whole team moving as one unit, and Sakura saw a little light in Konan's golden eyes. Team Seven presented their hands out, palms up.

"Let me show you this," Konan said, and she removed from her Akatsuki robe a handful of small black rods. They looked like ordinary metal to Sakura, but she saw the way Sasuke cocked his head at them, his eyes darting minutely as he followed the flow of some invisible chakra within them.

"This is a mechanism for a summoning," Konan said, and Sakura let out an understanding noise. "However, it's going to hurt a little. You have to penetrate the skin with them." She made no motion to force them on any of them, just waited there with her open hand, the rods glinting in the moonlight. "If you have any second thoughts, consider them now. This isn't something you should have any possible regrets about." Her eyes flashed. "You're stepping down a path that cannot be walked back."

Sakura looked at her teammates, and they at her and each other.

She found, to her astonishment, that she didn't have a hint of regret.

They nodded as one, and each took one of the rods. Sakura considered it, found the edge sharper than she'd have thought, and pushed it into the skin of her palm.

A couple drops of her blood spilled out, running over the black metal, and Sakura felt a boiling hot chakra pour into her arm, suffusing her whole body in an instant.

There was a flash of smoke, and the moon shone down on an empty field.

Team Seven was gone.

And... Here... We... Go.

I was genuinely hoping that Sakura would end up going alone, as the idea of a lone ninja in a hostile land makes me unbelievably hyped. That said, my desire to see more of Rain far outweighs my desire for a high intensity infiltration like that.

I was kinda wondering if she would fight them at the end, trying to get them to not upstage her. And it would have probably made a compelling cover story, even a real one?

This is cool too though. I'm interested in how a team handles it, if they really will be split up.

And hey, Naruto did want to see new places to compare to leaf, right?

Hm.

I'll admit that I'm disappointed that she didn't go alone. The divide between her infiltrating Rain, with the rest of her team knowing this but unable to do much about it sounded tantalizing. Mostly because of what sort of changes that would wrought back on the homefront, between Sauske & Naruto with...essentially the rest of the Village. Though mainly Obito and Minato. Oh well, this certainly has enough potential all on its own, even if it wasn't my own desired outcome.

But as its happening...well, I will enjoy seeing how life in Rain tests all three of them. Culture shocks going to be quite a thing, I imagine. And I can't even comprehend what meeting non-Rain shinobi will be like for the three of them after this. Especially Konoha ones. Well, I suppose I can comprehend dramatic showdowns. They are so great, after all :V.

One thing I really, really do want to see though, is the reactions to Team 7 defecting in its near entirety throughout the Leaf. We might actually see what a pissed off Minato looks like! As I can't imagine, on the personal side, that he'd be all to happy to see his son do something so reckless. Hell, its practically spitting on his ideal of 'A shinobi is one who sacrifices.' In terms of sacrifice everything for the Village, at least. On the non-personal side...

Well, it sure as fuck ain't gonna look good that his own son and the Uchiha heir have defected to Rain. Inside, and outside the Village. Thats gonna be a definite blow to prestige, probably morale as well. Shinobi oh do have a thing when it comes to 'traitors.'

As ever, I can't really predict where this'll end up.

Just want to say, I really really like that Team 7 is sticking together. It's sweet, and kind, and really says a lot about this fic that it sells that their bonds are enough to get them to make this decision together. I dunno, it just really works for me; I guess I'm just a sap?

It reminds me of the times that the original series actually got me teary eyed; for me Naruto was at its best when people cared for each other for believable, genuine reasons, like when Naruto got to meet Kushina.

And... Here... We... Go.

I was genuinely hoping that Sakura would end up going alone, as the idea of a lone ninja in a hostile land makes me unbelievably hyped. That said, my desire to see more of Rain far outweighs my desire for a high intensity infiltration like that.
Sorry! A traditional solo deep cover mission would have been super cool, but it's just not quite what I'm going for.
Hm.

I'll admit that I'm disappointed that she didn't go alone. The divide between her infiltrating Rain, with the rest of her team knowing this but unable to do much about it sounded tantalizing. Mostly because of what sort of changes that would wrought back on the homefront, between Sauske & Naruto with...essentially the rest of the Village. Though mainly Obito and Minato. Oh well, this certainly has enough potential all on its own, even if it wasn't my own desired outcome.

But as its happening...well, I will enjoy seeing how life in Rain tests all three of them. Culture shocks going to be quite a thing, I imagine. And I can't even comprehend what meeting non-Rain shinobi will be like for the three of them after this. Especially Konoha ones. Well, I suppose I can comprehend dramatic showdowns. They are so great, after all :V.

One thing I really, really do want to see though, is the reactions to Team 7 defecting in its near entirety throughout the Leaf. We might actually see what a pissed off Minato looks like! As I can't imagine, on the personal side, that he'd be all to happy to see his son do something so reckless. Hell, its practically spitting on his ideal of 'A shinobi is one who sacrifices.' In terms of sacrifice everything for the Village, at least. On the non-personal side...

Well, it sure as fuck ain't gonna look good that his own son and the Uchiha heir have defected to Rain. Inside, and outside the Village. Thats gonna be a definite blow to prestige, probably morale as well. Shinobi oh do have a thing when it comes to 'traitors.'

As ever, I can't really predict where this'll end up.
Sorry to disappoint you :( I hope I can keep you entertained.
Just want to say, I really really like that Team 7 is sticking together. It's sweet, and kind, and really says a lot about this fic that it sells that their bonds are enough to get them to make this decision together. I dunno, it just really works for me; I guess I'm just a sap?

It reminds me of the times that the original series actually got me teary eyed; for me Naruto was at its best when people cared for each other for believable, genuine reasons, like when Naruto got to meet Kushina.
Hey, I'm a sap too, it's why I did it. Well, that and other reasons, but we'll get to those. Hope everyone is having fun!

Sorry to disappoint you :( I hope I can keep you entertained.
Heh, s'all good. It's not a twist that's gonna make me quit the story, screaming because I didn't get my way or such foolishness.

Given I recognized before that you have a very good method of taking common tropes and stations of cannon, and flipping them to make them feel original and fresh, I probably should've expected something like this. Though I'll admit, I thought the rest of Team 7 being in the know, alongside it being an infiltration instead of genuine, was that twist. Show's good writing ability on your part.

Also in hindsight, after those past couple of chapters of each our characters getting harsh lessons on the Shinobi world. And being told, upfront and not, how Shinobi are suppose to be simply tools...this middle finger Sauske, Naruto, and Obito gave to that feels both In-character and shonen as fuck. In all honesty I'm glad they haven't abandoned their ideals. Obito and Naruto especially. Or, not yet at least. As it's satisfying to see someone as beaten down as Obito be reminded of his old ideals because of his student's. Shits sweet.

Now, to wait and see how the rest of Konoha reacts...

Chapter 34: Pariah
You Can't Go Back

Obito felt warm.

It was a beautiful day in Konoha, a brisk spring breeze blowing through the village's streets and shaking the trees of the forest around it. It had rained just before he'd arrived, and the streets were still drying in the midday sun. Doing the mission by himself had been easy, maybe even a little nostalgic. After all, there had been a time when all of his missions had been solo operations; his unique skill set had determined that.

He hadn't even had to step in. The Daimyo's marshals had handled everything. He'd just been an expensive security deposit.

A lot more lonely missions in the future, he thought as he walked through the village, looking around and giving the occasional perfectly normal greeting to anyone who acknowledged him. After what he'd done, who'd trust him with a team again?

Obito thought he should have felt scared, or ill. Instead he was warm and confident.

This was reality now, he thought. It would be stupid to regret it. He'd made his decision, and the moment he'd done that he was ready to live with it.

What had changed? Obito pondered that question as he watched another group of young genin wander by. It was like a thin film had been pulled back from the world. Wasn't that a little too dramatic for that to happen just from digging up an old memory?

Maybe not. He wasn't sure. There was only one other person who'd been there. She was the only one who might be able to understand what he'd done without judgement.

Or maybe Rin would knock him into orbit. There was only one way to find out.

Obito meandered towards the central hospital, hands stuck in his pockets as he imagined all the ways he was about to become a stranger. The beautiful day washed over him, and he was there before he knew it. He slipped through the front door without bothering to open it and wandered upstairs, heading for Rin's office. He wasn't sure where he'd look next if she wasn't there, but in the middle of the week and the middle of the day, it was a safe bet.

He got a couple strange glances from both staff and patients as he made his way to the fifth floor; it had been a long time since Obito had been in the hospital. He hadn't even gone after Waterfall. Rin had been able to fix him right up. It didn't bother him that they were wondering why he was there. He was sure that normally it would have.

Rin's door was half open when he got there, and Obito could hear the sounds of a conversation inside. Something logistical. As one of the head medical ninja, Rin was responsible for the village's supplies as well as its shinobi, and from the sound of it they were close to running out of some sort of chakra reactive ink. Obito lingered by the door for about ten minutes, the time passing in a pleasant haze as he wondered just what the hell he was going to say. Eventually, another woman dressed in a medical uniform left. She started and gave Obito a glare when she realized he was standing right next to the door, and he shrugged in apology.

He slipped past her into the room, and Rin sat up behind her wide oak desk with a surprised grunt. "Obito? You're back already?" There were countless forms and knicknacks scattered across her desk, twelve different kinds of pens, and an impressively organized pile of completed paperwork stuck in a binder off to the side.

"Yup," he said, and Rin tilted her head at his tone. Obito couldn't help but watch the way her brown hair cascaded against her shoulder.

"Uh huh," she said with a raised eyebrow. "Did you need something? Did someone get hurt again?"

"No, everyone's fine," Obito said. Huh. Why did that sound like the truth? "Can we talk in private for a minute?"

Rin crossed her arms. "Not much that's more private than my office, Obito. Unless you mean the Kamui?"

"No." Obito shook his head. "I spend too much time there. Change of scenery is always nice." He held out his hand. "Here, I'll find a place."

Rin took his hand and as a spark traveled the full length of Obito's body as he shifted into the Kamui for just a fraction of a second. Three steps forward, and they were on top of the Hokage's monument.

Rin looked around and blinked. "Not quite what I thought," she said with a laugh, smiling at him. "Always freaks me out when you-"

"Rin," Obito said, "Sakura was given a mission to defect to the Nation of Rain."

His teammate stared at him, her chocolate-brown eyes wide.

"Eh?"

"She left in the middle of the night, after we stopped to rest," Obito said, each word carefully measured. "I got up to make sure she was good to go, but I didn't go back to bed afterwards. Naruto and Sasuke noticed, and they woke up and confronted me. I told them the truth. We had a fight. I won; they didn't have a chance."

Rin was just silently staring, either too shocked to speak or too focused to bother.

"The whole time, I thought they were trying to beat me down so they could go stop Sakura. But I was being an idiot. They told me, when it was obvious they'd lost, that it wasn't their right to stop her. That since she'd agreed to the mission, she obviously had to go."

Obito looked down at the village spread out below them. "But they said that she definitely couldn't go alone."

"Obito," Rin said quietly, and he glanced back at her. "You let them go?"

"Yeah," Obito said. "I let them go."

"Do you…" Rin hesitated. That was good, Obito thought. She was thinking about it. Maybe she would even understand it. "Do you think you did the right thing?"

Obito blinked. For some reason, he hadn't expected that question. It was only a momentary hesitation; a heartbeat later, he nodded.

"It depends," he said, and Rin returned his nod. They both looked out at the village, the breeze rustling their clothes and hair. "For the village, no, I don't think so. I think people will hate me, and they'll be right to."

He breathed in deeply, so much sweet spring air making it feel like his chest would burst. "But for my team, yeah. I think they're always gonna be stronger together. Naruto and Sasuke told me that if Sakura went alone she'd defect for real, and I think they were right about that. I think that they'll all be coming back."

"You think," Rin said gently. Obito acknowledged the unspoken end of that sentence with a small laugh.

"But I don't know that, right?" he said. Rin grimaced. She was being so quiet, Obito thought. When Rin had come back from training with the legendary Sannin Tsunade she'd been brasher, louder, even a little meaner. But now, it was like they were kids again. She was meek and understanding, and he might have just done something incredibly stupid.

"What made you let them go?" she asked. "Just them saying that?"

"No," Obito said with a shake of his head. "That wouldn't have been enough. It was crazy that they said that, but it was something else that got me."

"Yeah?"

"They made me remember something," he continued. "They were both standing there, all beat up and bleeding and screaming at me, and it felt familiar. I couldn't figure out why at first; I thought I was just exhausted, or having deja vu."

"You weren't?" Rin asked, honestly curious.

"When you got captured, at Kannabi Bridge," Obito said. Rin flinched. "Kakashi and I got ambushed by one of the Stone ninja who'd taken you. He cut out Kakashi's eye, and that awoke my Sharingan." He smiled sadly. "And then he died, just an hour or two later, and that brought out my Mangekyo."

"Obito," Rin said cautiously. "You're not really making sense."

"Kakashi didn't want to go back for you," Obito said, and Rin sucked in a breath. "He told me that the mission was more important than anything. That's what he'd always been taught. And I disagreed: I told him that even if a shinobi who abandoned the mission was trash, someone who'd just leave their friends behind was worse than trash. That's what made him decide to rescue you. That's why he chose to die, when he pushed me out from under that rock. You get it?"

"No." Rin seemed embarrassed to say it. "I don't get what you're talking about, Obito. What's this got to do with Sakura?"

"I went out there thinking that Sakura's mission was more important than anything." Obito's gaze wandered over the village, lingering on the Hokage's tower. "That even if it hurt Naruto and Sasuke, or even if we ended up losing Sakura for good, that was just the cost of the mission: that would just be a sacrifice that a shinobi had to make." He looked back at Rin. "I forgot the words that made me who I am. Isn't that ridiculous?"

Rin watched him with an expression Obito couldn't identify. Then, she smiled.

"You know," she said, and even if she was smiling her voice was heavy with sorrow, "we both changed after Kakashi died, Obito."

He didn't have to acknowledge a truth that obvious.

"I didn't want to be weak enough to ever end up in that situation again," Rin said. "I thought it was my fault that Kakashi had died, so I told myself that I'd make that impossible. That I'd get strong enough to crush anyone who tried to use me." She was wistful, lost in the past. "But you changed a lot more than me, Obito. You were always a goofball, and funny, and cute, but you came back from that mission and suddenly you had a Sharingan that hadn't been seen in decades, and a technique that made you almost unstoppable."

Obito's brain was stuttering, stuck on 'cute,' as Rin continued. "So you had to change, right? You had a lot of responsibilities all the sudden, and when everything went down with ROOT, you were the first one Sensei turned to. You were the only one he could rely on to assassinate those bastards; anyone else would have died, but you were a ghost, right?"

"What do you-?" Obito started to ask, and Rin made a shushing motion.

"Obito, think about what you told me. You became one of the most powerful shinobi in the village, shit, the world, because you made a decision for yourself," she said, her smile going a little vicious. "And for me. You disobeyed the team leader and ran off after me. I didn't know that before, but it makes so much sense now."

"Eh?" Obito said. Rin shook her head.

"Since that day, I don't think you've made a single decision for yourself," she said, and Obito felt like someone had just smashed him into the monument with a hammer. "You always set your pace before you got your Sharingan; you did what you wanted, what you thought was right, even if it was going to make you seem unreliable. But afterwards, you were still cheerful… but you just followed orders. You used to talk about becoming Hokage, and that just vanished right out of you."

"Did that happen," she said, "because you forgot? Or because you thought it was your fault that Kakashi was dead?"

The strong winds at the top of the monument threatened to push them over.

"Both." The word burst out of Obito's mouth so suddenly that he almost flinched. There wasn't any thought, just reaction. "I wanted to forget. I thought what I'd said had been stupid; that it had gotten Kakashi killed. It was something that only a child could think. I didn't want to remember it."

"What you said didn't kill Kakashi," Rin said gently. "It saved me. The Hidden Stone killed him."

Obito closed his eyes, trying to keep his breathing under control. "I didn't think that way."

"Well, that's stupid," Rin said. "No wonder you've been such a lump since then. What the hell were you thinking, taking that all on yourself?"

Her words should have hurt, but Obito felt some venom leak out of him, like burning blood. His breathing stabilized; he straightened up.

"I don't have a clue," he said, and then shook his head. "No, that's bullshit. After I got the Kamui, I had to do everything myself. That was just how I thought about it. Because otherwise people would just be risking themselves for no reason. So I thought that, because of that, there was no way I could be Hokage." He stared down at the carved heads beneath their feet. "The Hokage has to be someone the whole village can look to, someone who can keep it safe. Sensei was that person, even after Kakashi died. But I was just a ghost; the only person I could keep safe was myself."

"What a bunch of nonsense," Rin said matter of factly, crossing her arms and staring out over the village. To his surprise, Obito found himself nodding in agreement. "You're taking it way too literally."

"I'm a literal guy," Obito said with a grin. Rin's laugh was beautiful. "But I get it now. I feel like… I've woken up, I guess. It had to take me losing my team to realize that." He looked down. "I haven't lost much since Shisui died…"

"You didn't lose them," Rin said as she slapped him on the shoulder. It was like getting hit by a falling tree, and Obito nearly staggered off the monument. "Sakura wasn't ready to go on a mission like that by herself. I don't know what Sensei was thinking. But all of them together, they'll keep their heads screwed on straight. They'll be back." She smiled slyly. "It'll be like a field trip."

Obito snorted. "We'll see if Sensei sees it that way."

"He won't," Rin said. "Mind if I tag along? I wanna see his face."

"I don't want you to get any of my mud on you," Obito said. His teammate snorted.

"I was just asking to be polite," she said. "If you don't take me with you, I'll be there within a couple seconds anyway." She looked pointedly down the face of the monument. "It's not a long fall."

Obito rolled his eyes and extravagantly stuck out his arm, and Rin took it with mock pomposity, as if agreeing to dance with someone below her station. The world swirled away as it was subsumed by the Kamui.

She was right, Obito thought as they stepped through infinite space into another limited one. He'd spent the better part of his life as an automaton as he mindlessly followed the village's instructions. It hadn't been Sensei abusing him; it had simply been that after Kakashi's death he hadn't known how to do anything else. He'd promised Kakashi he'd look out for Rin and become a great ninja, but for Kakashi up until the very last day of his life being a great ninja meant following your orders, and Obito had mindlessly aped that, unable to consider anything else under the enormous pressure of his new eyes and, after their thrill faded, the constant dread of blindness.

He'd been content to survive, day by day. Everything new in his life had been forced on him; his apartment, his rank, and even his team. They'd demanded their own missions, and Rin had pushed him towards the Chunin Exam. He'd been like a stone rolling down a hill.

But Obito wasn't content anymore. It wasn't just Sakura's mission that had woken him up, he thought, but everything that had happened since he'd taken on Team Seven. Every mission, every question, the Chunin Exam, Sakura's offer from Rain, the destruction of Waterfall, the revelation of his clan. All of it had startled him back to life like a dozen people beating their fists on a coffin.

He felt, for the first time in decades, the same itch he'd had when he was younger. To be seen; to create change. It was like a fire in his heart that set it beating harder and harder.

It felt good. It made him brave enough to appear right in the center of the Hokage's office, head held high.

Obito and Rin stepped out of thin air, and Minato Namikaze slowly raised his head to greet them.

The office was empty. Obito noticed it right away as his Sharingan settled down, his hyper-acute vision fading. Minato wasn't doing any paperwork; he was just sitting at his wide desk, head propped on steepled hands, staring at them. The blinds were drawn, casting everything in mute shadows.

"Obito," the Hokage said, and Obito gave him a slight blow. "I heard you got back."

Minato's eyes narrowed slightly. Obito met the hard look without flinching.

"Alone."

"Yeah," Obito said. Keep it simple, he thought. A conversation could be like a duel, and the Hokage was peerless at both. If he tried to be clever, he'd lose. For the first time in years, he wanted to win. "Sakura left in the middle of the night, but Naruto and Sasuke woke up too. They confronted me." He touched his split lip, which was still a little swollen. "I beat them."

He shrugged. "And then I let them go after her. They had decided to defect as well."

Minato quietly considered that, as still as a statue. He spoke from behind his hands, his expression unreadable.

"What the hell were you thinking?" he said it so calmly that Obito almost blinked. The words were like arctic ice, calm above and deadly below. His teacher had always been a thoughtful guy, Obito thought. He wasn't rash; he considered every option, no matter what.

But when Minato spoke, Obito realized his sensei might not have considered this possibility.

"I had two thoughts," he said, trying to sound just as calm.

Three, he amended internally. I forgot who I was, but we all did, so I think I can be forgiven for that one.

"The first was that Sakura would probably fail," he said, and Rin shot him a dirty look. Minato's eyes didn't shift from him. "I was aware of that the whole time, but I was ashamed to admit it. It's not because she's not smart or driven, but because she has those qualities. The Akatsuki's ideals were created for people like her, who look at the world and aren't happy with it."

'Like me.'

"She'd fall for them in a second. She'd accomplish the mission, without a doubt, and then never return."

"That was part of the risk of the mission," Minato said, and what he didn't say rang even louder.

If she completed the mission but didn't come back, it would still be a success.

Obito's hands curled into fists.

"That was my second thought," he said, and Minato's eyes darted down to his clenched fists. "It wasn't. It never could be."

He sighed. "I refused to let it. So I sent all of them."

"That's naive," Minato said quietly, still unmoving and unmoved. "I didn't think you were like that, Obito. That's why I trusted Sakura with this mission. She was going to be someone who would decide the future of the world. You don't think that would have been enough for her? Rain would never turn her away: she just would have been in the employ of another village." His fingers clenched, crushing each other. "It was not a dear sacrifice."

"Not for the village," Obito admitted. "Not for you, or even her parents, and maybe even me." He smiled bitterly. "But it would have broken Naruto's heart, and Sasuke's too. They never would have recovered. They would have lived with that pain of betrayal for the rest of their lives." Rin glanced at him, her eyes cautious.

"Naruto is strong," Minato said, his face stone. "He could have survived a little heartbreak. It might even have made him a better ninja." His jaw clenched. "But now, they're all lost to us. Rain will never let them return."

"They'll be back," Obito said, knowing in his heart that it was true. So long as they were alive, they'd be planning to return. "They all will be, I promise you that. I wouldn't have let any of them go otherwise."

"You don't understand," Minato bit out, and Obito shook his head. The Hokage paused, thrown by his student's disrespect.

"You're the one who doesn't understand," Obito said, and he was shocked at the cold venom that filled his voice. "I know my team better than you, sensei. Even your son. You gave me the right to make that final decision, remember? After Sakura's party, you told me I was the one who would make the final call. And I did. I did the thing that would lead to the best result for my team and for the mission. Not for the village, and not for you."

"Obito-!" Minato said, shooting to his feet, but Obito held his ground.

"Is a shinobi someone who sacrifices," he said softly, "or someone who is sacrificed?"

Minato stopped in his tracks, regarding him with a cold stare. Obito didn't blink.

"You always say it's the first," he said. "But what Sakura was being set up for… that wasn't it, was it?" His sensei's deep blue eyes were like shards of ice. "You were ready to throw her away. That's not the kind of man you were, Minato."

There was a terrible fury in those eyes. Minato Namikaze was the kind of man who could kill dozens of people in less than a second and without hesitation. When he arrived, people died as if by natural causes, not even aware their death was near. In the right place, at the right time, the Hokage could kill anyone and anything. Right now, that village-crushing fury was directed solely at Obito. There was nothing else in the world but the two of them.

Because he'd given away the man's son, or gone against his plan? Obito was sure it was both. The murderous sensation sparked a curiosity in him. He found himself asking the same question he was sure hundreds of others had asked before, even if only for the fun of it.

Who would win, between a ghost and a thunder god?

There was a moment, the start of a heartbeat, where they almost went at each other. Rin sensed it subconsciously and started to move away, just the slightest twitch. The only thing that shinobi were meant to provide the world was violence.

But his heart finished beating and Obito breathed out. He spoke, leaving his whole body open. His words carried the tension away, like a hand gently taking hold of a knife.

"If you were willing to sacrifice Sakura without flinching," he said, and Minato relaxed as well, his killing chakra receding. The entire room creaked as an invisible pressure vanished. "Letting go of your son, and Mikoto's son, should have been just as easy a decision."

"It wasn't an easy decision," Minato said, but his voice caught on the final syllable, trailing off. Obito continued forward, merciless.

"It wasn't," he said. "But if you were as willing to let them go as you were, you would have seen it right away."

"You really won't even admit fault," Minato mused. He brought up two fingers to rub against his forehead, suddenly looking exhausted. "You're that sure you were right."

"I am," Obito said. "I haven't been so sure of anything in a long time."

"Konoha will be a laughingstock," Minato said, stepping out from behind his desk and looking out the shuttered windows towards the village. "That's why I didn't make that decision," he continued, talking to himself as much as Obito and Rin. "My own son, run off to another village. They'll wonder what we are doing wrong, or what Rain is doing right. Naruto was too public to lose."

Obito had never heard his sensei so uncertain. He turned back towards the both of them.

"It wasn't me being selfish," he said.

"I don't think you were," Obito said. "But that's too cautious. You're acting like it's some unbelievable thing, but the Third's son did the same thing. Asuma spent over a decade with the Guardian Ninja, and Konoha wasn't any worse for it."

"The Guardians are in the direct employ of the Daimyo," Minato said, his lips twisting. "Rain is a group of revolutionaries determined to be enemies of the Daimyo. They couldn't be more different." He leaned against his desk, crossing his arms. "This was a unique situation. Anyone who defected to them would be tainted."

"That's true," Obito admitted. "But even if people don't like to talk about it, Rain and Konoha have a lot in common." He crossed his arms, mirroring his sensei. "Both their leaders were trained by the same man."

"Hmm." Minato didn't look convinced. "And came to very different conclusions. I want peace, and I've been keeping it; the Nation and the Amekage want control. It's not the same."

"Of course," Obito said. "But you've still been inspired by the same source. Even if it's humiliating for the Leaf, it will do Naruto some good to see…" He paused, looking for the word, and grinned. "It'll do all of them some good to see all the ways Jiraiya-Sensei's beliefs have manifested."

Minato paused, giving him a peculiar look, and after a moment slowly nodded.

"You're right," he said, and Obito couldn't hide his shock. His sensei gave him an amused look, some of his fury fading away. "It's a good point. But they're still in enormous danger. Sand already holds a grudge against Sakura for what she did in the Exam; that was a danger she was ready for. But with Naruto out of the village and in the employ of a rogue country like Rain, the Hidden Stone will be after him immediately." He stroked his chin. "And even if they've shifted focus to technology, Cloud is always intent on collecting more powerful Bloodlines, especially ones like the Sharingan. You never know when someone else like you will appear, Obito."

The Hokage leaned back, glancing between the both of them. "That's another reason Sakura was the safest choice. Sand would be hesitant to target a former ally, but with all of them going rogue… all of them are going to be hunted now. You understood that?"

"I did," Obito said. It wasn't a lie. All of this and more had been rushing through his mind as Naruto and Sasuke had argued with him, but he'd still come to the conclusion he had. "I'm not worried. Stone went after Naruto during the Exam, and Sasuke is strong. They'll be protected by Rain as new and valuable assets, and more than that, they'll keep each other safe." He grinned. "It's what I taught them to do."

Minato considered him, looking for a fault or some sign of uncertainty and finding none.

"There was already a plan to dispatch a hunter team to attempt to capture Sakura to sell the defection," he eventually said. "Their list will just have to be expanded."

"Will they be told to focus on Naruto and Sasuke?" Obito asked, astonished to realize he was already weighing his chances against a Leaf ANBU squad, and Minato shook his head.

"No," he said. "That would be too obvious." He shifted his gaze from Obito to Rin for the first time, and his other student cooly regarded him. "What do you think, Rin?"

"I think you both fucked up," Rin said, and Obito and his sensei snorted. "But I think Obito fucked up less."

"That's fair," Minato said lightly. "You two, leave. I have to figure out how to present this."

"You'll have to punish me in some way," Obito said, and Minato nodded.

"Oh sure, you're not getting paid for the next year or so," he said. Obito was surprised at what a toothless threat it was, and his sensei saw it. "I'll think of something more lasting later. Get out of here."

Obito turned to leave, but before he could step out the door Minato spoke once more.

"I understand why you did it, Obito," he said, and Obito paused, freezing in his tracks. "You seem different. Something else happened, right?"

"I wouldn't have done that before, is what you mean," Obito said. The Hokage made an affirmative sound. "I just remembered something from a long time ago. That's all."

There was quiet in the office for a couple seconds.

"Kakashi?" Minato eventually said, and Obito nodded.

"Yeah," he said, and then he gently opened the door and stepped out of the office, Rin at his side.

As soon as the door closed behind them, Rin sagged.

"Holy shit," she said. Obito couldn't help but silently agree. "I didn't know his chakra could be that heavy."

Now that they were out of the office, the absence of Minato's chakra was obvious; an omnipresent pressure trying to crush them from every direction at once had suddenly vanished, and Obito could suddenly stand completely straight and take full breaths once more. The Hokage's chakra alone could probably strangle a normal person.

"I'm surprised I got off that lightly," Obito said.

Rin snorted. "For a second I thought he was going to rip your head off."

"Me too," he admitted, looking at her. "What now?" She was looking up at him with her chocolate brown eyes, and for a second he forgot he could breathe again.

She smirked. "Well, you might not have a team anymore, but I've still got a job." Obito couldn't help but laugh. "I'm going back to the hospital."

"Do you want me to-?" he started to offer before she shook her head.

"I like walking," she said. "It's nice to just take things in, you know?"

"Yeah, I get it," Obito acquiesced. Rin gave him a funny look.

"You still don't look scared," she noted. "Even after that."

"I'm not," he said truthfully. His teammate grinned.

"Is that cause you haven't thought about having to tell Kushina yet?" she asked, and Obito felt all the blood drain out of his face. Rin's grin turned from sweet to sinister. "Have fun with that~!" she hummed as she skipped down the hall and down the stairs, out of sight. Obito watched her go, feeling something between infuriated and amazed.

It would be fine, he thought. He was literally impossible to hit. He was the safest man alive.

For some reason, that didn't give him any comfort as he spun out of sight.

He popped out on top of Naruto's family home, and looked down with the strange realization that now it was just Kushina and Minato's. Naruto was gone, and wouldn't be back for some time. He'd let something integral to the house escape it.

That weird, disconnected feeling of transition and outdated definition somehow struck him harder than anything else had that day, and he stayed rooted to the roof for more than a minute pondering the enormity of what he'd done. He was coming down from his high now, he realized, sinking into the consequences.

Well well well, if it isn't the consequences of my own actions. The absurd thought broke him free, and he chuckled.

"Something funny about sitting around on my roof?"

He glanced down to find Kushina staring up at him with an unamused expression, and swallowed.

"Kushina," he said, his throat dry. "How're you doing?"

"Just fine," Kushina said, arching an eyebrow. "How'd your mission go?"

She'd known, Obito thought. She was the Hokage's wife and Naruto was on Sakura's team, there was no way she hadn't. He licked his lips, considering what to say. Kushina was famous for her temper. If he played this wrong-

"Did Naruto come back with you?" she asked. Obito blinked.

"What?" he asked, and Kushina rolled her eyes.

"We should take this somewhere else," she said, leaping up to the roof and landing besides him. "Take us to the compound, will you?"

"What?" Obito asked again. Kushina looked at him like he was the stupidest man in the world.

"The Uchiha Compound," she said slowly, articulating each syllable as she would for a baby or someone who was hard of hearing. "If Naruto went with her, Sasuke did too, right? There's no way either of them would back down. We might as well tell Mikoto together."

She knew? What? How? Had Minato teleported over to tell her in the time it had taken him to get here? Obito grabbed her shoulder and drew them both into the Kamui before stepping back, shaking his head. "Kushina, how-?"

He didn't have a chance, even with the Sharingan. Kushina's haymaker struck him square in the jaw and knocked him to the ground. Obito fell so hard that he bounced, spitting up a mouthful of blood, and he looked up to find Kushina shaking her fist out with a relieved look.

Oh god, he'd taken her the one place she could hit him. What had he been thinking?

"There," she said, giving him a sharp-toothed grin. "For posterity, you know?"

"Kushina, I'm so sorry," he said, scrambling back to his feet. She didn't advance on him. "It was-"

"The best for them, yeah," Kushina said, and then regarded him, unimpressed. Obito gaped. "What? Did you seriously not see this coming?"

"Minato didn't tell you?" Obito asked. He looked around at the endless darkness of the Kamui, questioning himself. This didn't feel real.

"Pfft." Kushina smoothed out her long red dress and sat back on a suddenly manifested golden chain that provided her an impromptu chair. "You've got a low opinion of me, huh? I was pretty sure this was going to happen, you know."

"Seriously?" Obito said, shaking his head. "Why the hell… how? Sensei didn't have a clue."

"I know my son," Kushina said with a wistful look. She already missed him terribly, Obito saw: she was staring off into the dark, not paying attention to him. "Either he was going to notice something was off with Sakura and get it out of her, or he was going to chase her the second she left. Which one did it end up being?"

Obito, still not sure if she was messing with him or not, held up two fingers. Kushina chuckled. "Yeah, he's still a little slow. Figures."

"Why did you let him go, if you knew he was going to go with her?" he said, and Kushina's face dropped.

"Cause it's where he wanted to be," she said. "With his team. If I kept him here, that just would have been torture for him." She shifted, her eyes piercing him. "You knew that too, right Obito? That's why you let him go."

"Sure," Obito said, massaging his jaw. "But I didn't think you'd agree."

"I didn't want to," Kushina said. "But it's just how things are." She laughed. "I thought it might happen the second Sakura got that damn letter. I told them, even. Maybe I planted the thought in him that day, you know? Maybe it's my fault he went with her."

"If it was, it was just because you raised him well," Obito said with a sudden conviction, and Kushina gave him a smile.

"Ah, that's so sweet," she said, sitting up. "Probably bullshit, but definitely sweet." Her face sank a little. "But Mikoto didn't know about the mission. She hasn't had any time to prepare herself. Her first thought is gonna be that Sasuke left because of her."

"She'd probably be a little right about that," Obito said somewhat cruelly. Kushina regarded him with an admonishing look.

"You were planning to tell her, right?" she said, and Obito shrugged. "It's her son. It would have been cruel not to."

"Sure," Obito said without commitment. Kushina shrugged.

"Doesn't matter," she said. "We'll tell her together." She held her hand out again, and Obito regarded it suspiciously, wary of another punch. Kushina laughed at his expression. "Don't worry, I got my hit in. That's enough for a lifetime against you, Obito. Just take us to the compound, alright?"

He reached out, taking her hand, and they were suddenly inside the Uchiha compound.

"Uncle Obito?" A younger Uchiha, a little girl with blond hair, staggered back from them and dropped into a bow, startled by their sudden appearance. They'd almost popped into existence right on top of her. "And Lady Kushina!" she stuttered. "Welcome home!"

"Ari," Obito said warmly, tousling her hair as the girl protested. "Where's Mikoto?"

"Lady Mikoto? She's out training," Ari said, staring at the both of them with wide eyes. "Number Thirty-Seven. Do you want me to-?"

"We'll go get her," Obito said with a smile, and Ari shyly smiled back. He shared a glance with Kushina, and could tell the both of them were thinking the same thing.

It was probably for the best that Mikoto wasn't in the compound. Maybe even better if she'd already tired herself out with some training. As close to ideal as it could get.

"See you later, okay?" Obito said, and the little girl smiled.

"Okay!" she said brightly, and then he and Kushina were both sucked out of reality once more. Four steps backwards, and they slipped into existence at the edge of a field.

Just as they'd been told, Mikoto was there. They watched as she patiently practiced her shurikenjutsu, striking a post with relentlessly accuracy again and again from more than fifty meters away. Parts of the field were burned and cracked, and she was alone.

Obito wondered if that wasn't the case more often than not nowadays. Maybe they'd have that in common.

Kushina approached first, breaking from the treeline and calling out.

"Mikoto!"

The woman spun with an alarmed look, and Obito watched her face run through about five different emotions before settling on pleasant surprise at the sight of him and Kushina. She set down her shuriken and began walking towards them. Obito followed behind Kushina at a couple meters distance, wondering what the plan was.

"Kushina," Mikoto said quietly, and Kushina gave her a guileless smile. "And Obito. What are you doing here?"

"Mikoto," Kushina said, "we've got some news."

Mikoto frowned at her tone, glancing back and forth between the two of them. "News?" she asked carefully. She was scared, Obito realized, and the revelation shocked him. Last time he'd seen her, she'd been indignant and composed, but now, here with just them in the field, she was scared. Did she think they'd been sent to kill her? This wasn't a sudden fear, but an omnipresent one that had been suddenly dug up.

He stepped forward, and Kushina gracefully gestured to him. Obito frowned, trying to figure out how to fill the gap. How much was she allowed to know? Minato had trusted him with that judgement implicitly when he'd let him leave without instructions.

Sasuke was on the same mission as Sakura now, he decided. The parents were the only ones allowed to know. That was sensible enough.

"Mikoto," he said, measuring each word as she watched him with a steady dread and a dawning comprehension. "Sakura was given a mission to infiltrate the Nation of Rain as a defector."

She went slack, hand falling to her side. "No…"

She already understood. "Sasuke and Naruto found out," Obito continued. Mikoto began shaking. "They were determined to go with her. They didn't want her to take on such a difficult mission alone."

"And you let them?" Mikoto asked. Her voice was flat, lifeless. "Sasuke thought his teammates were more important than the village."

She looked down. "That's what happened. He's defected to Rain."

Obito nodded, though Mikoto didn't see. She just stared at the ground.

"Both my sons are traitors," she said.

Kushina stepped forward, raising a hand. "Mikoto," she muttered. "It's-"

Mikoto's head snapped up. Her Sharingan was active, bright red and black in her pale face. Obito took a step back.

Like a hunting cat, she launched herself forward.

"You bastard," she hissed, striking out, and Obito didn't try to slip through it. For the second time that day he was struck in the jaw and stumbled back, his whole face aching. Mikoto followed through, lightning fast footwork carrying her into range for another strike. This time, her fist slammed into his ribs.

"Don't let me hit you, you piece of shit!" she snarled. "You think that'll let you justify yourself?!" She threw another five blows, and this time Obito let his reflexes take over, slipping through them and circling around her. She followed him, picture perfect form, ready to tear his throat out the second he left himself open.

"Mikoto-!" Kushina started to say, but Obito held up his hand. He could work with this. He didn't know how to tell someone he'd passed their son off to another country, but he knew how to fight.

"You really wanna do it this way?" he said. Mikoto responded by driving her fist clean through his face. "Alright, if you say so."

He shifted his head and drove his knee straight up into her gut, the force of the blow lifting her clear off the ground, and Mikoto gagged. She lashed out while still suspended in midair and the blow passed through him again.

"It was his choice," Obito said as Mikoto landed and scuttled away, zipping across the field and throwing stray shuriken at him as she went. He rotated, keeping her in front of him. "He didn't leave because of you; it was just to be with his team."

"You never should have let him go!" she shouted, running through the hand signs for a fireball. She spat out an impressively large Grand Fireball and moved in its wake, shielding herself. Obito simply stepped through the jutsu, expecting to meet her on the other side.

But even if Mikoto was mad with anger, she wasn't stupid, and he cleared the fireball to find her and a shadow clone on the other side. They both lashed out at him, and Obito spun, one fist passing through him as he kicked the clone out of existence. He finished the rotation, coming around to clock the real Mikoto-

And his eyes caught a glimpse of disturbed earth farther back along the charred path of the fireball as he lashed out.

He went intangible at the last second, and Mikoto burst out of the ground as his fist passed through her second clone's chest, her strike going right through his stomach.

"He's not like his brother!" she said, refusing to hesitate even in the face of her hasty strategy failing. "He's not ready to be on his own!"

"That's ridiculous," Obito growled. He skipped back and focused, and a kunai leapt from his eye with terrific speed. It pierced through the remaining clone, popping it in a puff of smoke, and then he surged forward, slipping around Mikoto as she ran through more hand signs and locking his arms around her neck. "He won't be alone."

Mikoto struggled, scratching at his strangling arms but unable to penetrate his steel arm guards. Obito could see Kushina looking concerned in the corner of his vision, but he didn't care. This had been inevitable, ever since that conversation in the temple's basement.

Realizing that his arms couldn't be moved, Mikoto began hammering her elbows into Obito's ribs, trying to dislodge him. He grunted, feeling bruises form but refusing to move, and after a couple futile blows she roared, bucking her whole body and wrapping both hands around his arm.

To Obito's surprise she curled, lifting his entire body into the air behind her, and then with another roar of effort flipped him head first over herself. His arms were stuck fast with chakra and so she went with him, but she was ready, landing on both feet and repeating the maneuver. They flipped head over heels for another two rotations before Mikoto suddenly adjusted her trajectory, landing at a sideways angle.

Obito wasn't ready, and as they crashed to the ground together Mikoto finally managed to rip his arms away along with the top layers of the skin of her neck. Gasping for air and red in the face, she scrambled on top of him and pulled a fist back.

Obito felt the cold surety of the Kamui slip over him as she swung down, ready to slip out from under her.

Then, impossibly, her fist slammed into his face.

Obito's head slammed back into the ground, and he blinked at the sudden headache. His Kamui was active, but he'd still been hit. It was completely impossible.

A drop of blood landed on his cheek, and he started at the sudden warmth. Before he could see where it had come from, Mikoto's fist crushed his nose, sending his head crashing into the earth once again.

No Kamui. The reality was so shocking that he took two more punches to the face before he kicked up and struck Mikoto in the back of the head, knocking her forward into a roll and off of him. He rolled sideways and sprung to his feet, panting and dizzy. He could feel a migraine coming on; both sides of his head were definitely bruised, and his nose might have been broken.

Mikoto was hardly any better off than him, wheezing through her bruised and bleeding throat and barely standing. Her knuckles were bloody.

And so was her cheek, Obito saw. He blinked.

There were two bloody tears running down from Mikoto's left eye, as red as her Sharingan. He reached up and touched his own cheek, and pulled his hand back to find the same blood on his fingers.

"You…" he gasped, trying to stay focused. He'd gotten cocky; he was lucky not to be unconscious after taking four strikes like that. Mikoto could shatter concrete with her bare hands. "That's impossible."

Mikoto closed her eyes and wiped away the blood, leaving a smear of blood on her cheek. "I'm sorry," she said, her voice cracking. Her legs gave out and she collapsed, sinking to her knees. "Kushina, I'm sorry…"

"What happened?" Kushina asked from the sidelines. "Mikoto? You hit him! That's amazing!"

Mikoto ignored her. "Bring him back," she whispered, and Obito staggered towards her. "Please." She looked up at him with bloody eyes. "Obito, he's all I had left. Please, bring him back. You're the strongest in the clan; you're the only one who can." She reached out, clawing at his chest and drawing him closer. "You could do it by yourself. You could do anything, with those eyes. I can't-"

"I can't," he echoed, sinking down to join her on the ground. "It's his decision."

The desperate look from the woman he'd wanted dead just days before tore his heart in half.

"That's what we taught him," he said, carefully laying his hand on Mikoto's shoulder as she began sobbing, her whole body shaking. "You should be proud of him. He put his friends and the village ahead of himself. That's what you wanted, right?"

Mikoto couldn't say anything. She just lay there, paralyzed by her sorrow, and cried.

Obito drew back and Kushina replaced him, wrapping her arms around her friend as the other woman started wailing. Obito watched them both carefully.

Kushina was her friend, but he hadn't known if Mikoto was truly hers after the terrible things she'd told him about the coup.

But if she'd had the Mangekyo Sharingan that whole time, that changed things. It meant that this whole time, she'd had a crucial piece of control hanging over Kushina, the Hokage, and the whole village, with no one the wiser.

And she'd never used it. He would definitely have noticed.

As Obito watched both women break down in tears, he wondered what else there was he didn't know that could change everything.

###

It spreads with a whisper.

I don't think Team Seven came back, it starts. Mangekyo no Obito came back, but his team wasn't with him. Has anyone seen the Hokage's son? Has anyone seen that Uchiha genius? Has anyone seen the girl who woke up a demon during the Chunin Exam? They're not dead, are they? Their teacher would have said something; the Hokage would be grieving.

Their friends are the first to notice, within the day. They won't be able to come to terms with it for some time. All of them are still lingering on the now bitter memory of Sakura's party, where they all came together for the last time. Tenten is the only one who has something to hold on to, a lingering memory, words that bury themselves in her heart.

'You know you're my best friend, right?'

The whispers escalate to a shout within the week. That's when blame starts being cast. It's gotta be someone's fault; that's the one thing everyone agrees on. But whose? The Hokage's, or theirs, or Obito's, or someone else's entirely? Putting so much talent in one place was foolish; even though they were just three genin, the whole village reels, the future suddenly snatched away.

Sakura's parents suffer: they had an impressive child on their hands, and they drove her away with their own conflicts. They bear it stoically, knowing the truth that their daughter loved them more than ever when she left, but it still hurts. It takes three nights, but eventually Mebuki cries herself to sleep as her husband sits quietly in their darkened living room, staring at nothing and wondering if the whispers are right.

Naruto's parents suffer: the Hokage's own son running away is exactly as disastrous as it appears. No one doubts Minato Namikaze's ability in battle or in running the village, but now they start to wonder if anything was going on in his home that couldn't be seen from the outside. Why else would someone like Naruto, talented and beloved, leave?

Sasuke's mother suffers: she doesn't receive any hatred, only pity, which for someone like Mikoto is worse than poison. Both her sons are gone, along with her husband and half her clan and half her face. She's a shadow of a person, people say: I don't know if I could keep going in her position. The shame would just be too much for me.

Unlike the others, Mikoto can do nothing but move forward, trudging through her life with burning eyes and wondering if, despite what everyone has told her, this really was all her fault. If this was the result of her ambition.

She's sure it is.

Through it all, there's one question that consumes the village. It doesn't have an obvious answer: it won't for at least a month, and that makes it all the more painful and intriguing for everyone asking it.

Where are Naruto Namikaze, Sasuke Uchiha, and Sakura Haruno?

Where is Team Seven?

Last edited:
Great stuff, and an impeccable setup for seeing what Team Seven is doing. Looking forward to more!

Holy shit, Minato actually calmed down. He was furious, as I expected, but I wasn't expecting him to cool so soon. Well, the obvious burning anger at least. He's calmed down enough to think...logcially-ish about this whole mess. But I'm impressed with Obito here. In an appropriately shonen moment, he shifted his outlook after being reminded of his past self by people he cares about.

I like the look how it effected the others as well. Sakuras parents, Sauskes mom, Kushina predicting this also caught me off guard. Her calm attitude to it after revealing how deep her believe in 'a shinobi is one who sacrifices' goes. Though that one probably applied mostly to her, in her own view. Hell, its almost funny...but those three leaving seems to have brightened things up in a bittersweet sort of way.

Looking forward to seeing how they manage to scramble past Nagatos lie-detector eyes.

Smh bullshit Renningan.

Rin took his hand and as a spark traveled the full length of Obito's body he shifted into the Kamui for just a fraction of a second.
Rin took his hand and a spark traveled the full length of Obito's body as he shifted into the Kamui for just a fraction of a second.
OR
Rin took his hand and, as a spark traveled the full length of Obito's body, he shifted into the Kamui for just a fraction of a second.

Obito's brain was stuttering, stuck on 'cute,' as Rin continued
Yay! Relationship progress! It's about time. Honestly, there was a moment after leaving the Hokage's office when they were talking about Obito being fearless whete I thought he was going to kiss her.

There's a lot I want to react to here but it's pretty late and I'm exhausted. Good job with this update!

Last edited:
Holy shit, Minato actually calmed down. He was furious, as I expected, but I wasn't expecting him to cool so soon. Well, the obvious burning anger at least. He's calmed down enough to think...logcially-ish about this whole mess. But I'm impressed with Obito here. In an appropriately shonen moment, he shifted his outlook after being reminded of his past self by people he cares about.

I like the look how it effected the others as well. Sakuras parents, Sauskes mom, Kushina predicting this also caught me off guard. Her calm attitude to it after revealing how deep her believe in 'a shinobi is one who sacrifices' goes. Though that one probably applied mostly to her, in her own view. Hell, its almost funny...but those three leaving seems to have brightened things up in a bittersweet sort of way.

Looking forward to seeing how they manage to scramble past Nagatos lie-detector eyes.

Smh bullshit Renningan.
It's scary how fast he calmed down. Looks like being Hokage really does mean being able to sacrifice what you love and harden your heart.

Chapter 35: Hidden Truth
Part 2
Traitor

The Village Hidden in the Rain

Amegakure was like no other city Sakura had ever seen.

It pierced high into the sky, almost to the low grey clouds, a towering edifice of steel and light. Konohagakure was a broad city with many short buildings that sprawled out in every direction, hidden behind tall walls: Amegakure was smaller, Sakura was sure, but its buildings were massive, a metropolis that Konoha would never have dreamed of becoming.

It didn't have a wall. Instead, there was a vast lake that surrounded the whole village, with two massive concrete bridges leading in and out of it connecting to the land. It reminded Sakura of Waterfall for a brief moment, and she shuddered, easily covered by the pouring rain. They had appeared atop a muddy hill covered in dropping trees and slippery grass looking out over the village-

'Your new home.'

-and the vicious wind and rain that had greeted them immediately was already cutting through her like a knife.

"Hmm." Konan sounded amused, and when Sakura glanced at her she was astonished to find the water just slipping right off her, as if she was frictionless. "Seems you all chose a particularly lousy day." The boiling chakra that had filled Sakura's body was receding like a rapid fever, and after a second she was left shivering at its absence as she realized just how cold the rain was. She'd never experienced weather like this in the Land of Fire: when it rained there, it was usually light and warm, and even when it was heavy it wasn't being hurled by an outright evil wind right into your face.

"Blech," she heard Naruto say, and turned to find him at her right. Sasuke was behind her, and when she glanced back he was giving the sky a disgusted look. The rain was slamming down on them all in a solid sheet. "So it's not usually like this?"

Konan laughed. "No. This is a pretty nasty storm," she said. "Of course… this is the Land of Rain."

She gestured and they began trooping down the hill behind her, chakra keeping them from sliding down the slick mud and grass.

"Why all the way out here?" Sasuke asked, and Konan looked back at him. "If you could summon us in, why not just right into the village?"

"A safety precaution," she said easily, as if it were the most obvious and benevolent thing in the world. "There are plenty who wish to harm the Nation of Rain, so even with shinobi like yourself we try not to invite anyone into the village without ample warning." As she spoke, a piece of paper peeled itself off her cheek and flitted away through the crushing rain. "Plus," she said in a lighter tone, "it gives everyone a chance to enjoy our lovely weather."

Sakura snorted, and Konan gave her a grin. They walked in silence for another ten minutes, drawing closer and closer to one of the bridges that led into the village, and eventually the mud gave way to concrete. As they walked, Sakura watched the village and her friends.

Konoha never slept, but it looked like Ame never even bothered to close its eyes. The whole city was lit up everywhere she looked, strung with power lines and bridges between the towering buildings. There were glowing neon signs and elaborate designs, faces and animals and kanji, carved into the buildings and covered with their own lights on everything, a unique tapestry that stretched over the entire city. Sakura couldn't hope to take it all in with a single look; she could have stood there staring at it for the rest of the day and still been picking out new details, she was sure.

Her teammates were easier. Neither Naruto or Sasuke were showing a hint of regret. They both marched alongside her, unfaltering, and when both of them caught her looking they gave her a smile: Naruto's cheerful and Sasuke's amused.

She still didn't understand why they'd come, even after their explanation, but she'd given up on that. There was no point in questioning it, she thought; she should just be glad they'd come. Now she wouldn't be alone.

'You dragged them with you. If anything happens to them, it'll be your fault.'

Shut up. Now wasn't the time for that. She saw long before they reached the bridge that it was busy, even this early in the day, long before the sunrise. There were caravans of covered wagons moving back and forth across it and dozens of people keeping to the footpaths on the side. The bridge was a tremendous feat of construction, about half a kilometer long and more than thirty feet wide, as they approached some of the people walking it noticed them emerging from the dark.

Most gave them no mind, but there were several shinobi wearing flak jackets and Rain's headband, and they all kneeled as Konan approached and passed them, dropping their heads to the ground. Sakura blinked at the show of deference; kneeling to the Hokage wasn't something she'd ever seen anyone but ANBU do, but these men and women didn't have concealed faces. One of them was barely older than her, she was sure.

As Konan passed, the shinobi raised their heads. One of them, a man with shaggy red hair that was matted down by the rain and a small mustache, glanced at Sakura and her teammates. His eyes went wide, and he elbowed the woman next to him, who had a similar reaction.

They were staring at all of them, and Naruto in particular. Sakura didn't know what she would have done in his situation, but Naruto just smiled wide and genuinely, and gave the group a little wave. They rose to their feet and began whispering to one another, the sound concealed by the pouring Rain.

"You've got some fans," Sasuke grunted, and Naruto laughed.

"I'll always have fans," he said, and Sakura couldn't help but laugh at his cockiness, not sure how real it was.

If Konan could hear them, she didn't give any indication. They followed her for another couple minutes, crossing more than half the bridge and drawing more stares with every step. The closer they got, the more Sakura realized that even if Rain had been a minor village once upon a time, it definitely wasn't now. Even Konoha did not get this kind of traffic at this time of day: Amegakure had all the energy of a country's capital and Hidden Village rolled into one.

At the halfway point of the bridge, they came to a sudden stop. Konan held up her hand and turned to them, taking in their soggy state.

"Sorry about that," she said, and Sakura shrugged. "We'll get you out of the cold." She dropped her hand and gestured at Naruto, and Sakura looked between the two of them in confusion.

A second later, Naruto's feet lifted off the ground.

"Uh, guys?" Naruto asked, and Sakura reached out to grab his arm in alarm. She could feel him drifting farther up, dragging her arm with him. "I think I'm getting abducted?"

There was a sudden tug and he was yanked out of Sakura's grip. She and Sasuke watched with no idea of what to do as Naruto floated away, picking up more and more speed as he began rocketing towards Amegakure and cutting a swath through the pouring rain. In just a second, he had vanished into the skyline, out of sight.

"What?" Sakura asked, looking back at Konan. "What did you do?!"

Konan pointed at Sasuke, and he lifted off the ground as well. Unlike Naruto, he didn't struggle: he just crossed his arms with an unimpressed look as he was sent flying off into the sky, refusing to change his posture at all as he soared into Amegakure.

It was a show, Sakura thought with a blink. She looked around, not bothering trying to catch her teammate: she was focused on the other people on the bridge. Civilians and shinobi alike were pointing and gasping in awe, a couple whooping enthusiastically. Like a little Chunin Exam for each new arrival, showing anyone who was around just how powerful Rain was, that they could scoop someone up and drag them inside without any effort. Posturing for foreigners, reassuring the local ninja… and even if they didn't mean it that way, a threat for new defectors.

'You won't be able to just walk away.'

Konan saw the flash of realization in her eyes and smiled indulgently. "You'll see them in just a moment," she said, and as she did Sakura felt an infinite and irresistible gravity gently seize hold of her. Her feet lifted off the ground, and for a second the feeling of total weightlessness overwhelmed her.

The rain stopped hitting her. Sakura blinked. She was still outside, only just picking up speed, but she wasn't getting wet anymore. She moved her hand out as she started accelerating, moving farther from the bridge every moment, and watched with open fascination as her hand cut through the rain. It was still wet, but any additional drops that hit it were turned away by an invisible force, rebounding off and soaring into the dark. She was wrapped in a thick invisible chakra of incredible power that was sucking her up into the city at a ludicrous speed.

What kind of technique was this? Less than a second had passed, but she was already so far from the bridge that she could barely see it. She was rushing up and up, straight towards one of Amegakure's tallest towers, already over the other ridiculously tall buildings. Sakura felt her heart start to beat out of her chest, her brain finally catching up to her insane speed. She was going to crash; she was going to splatter across the skyline. The building was right there-!

And then, just as she was sure she was going to strike the tower, Sakura stopped. It was a stop without a stop. There was no inertia: her velocity went from past the speed of sound to zero, and Sakura's head didn't even bob forward.

That total impossibility only made her heart beat faster even though she was no longer hurtling through darkness. The rain started hitting her again, and Sakura was gently deposited on a balcony that jutted out from the tower's upper levels. It didn't have railings, and she immediately shuffled away from the edge, not wanting to look down. She'd never been this high up before, and the wind was even stronger here.

There was a wide double door made of the same dark steel as the tower, and after waiting for a moment to see if Konan had followed her or not Sakura made her way towards it, trying to project confidence. She was meant to be here; there was no reason for her to be nervous. They wanted her to be here.

Right before she reached the door, it opened, both sides swinging open soundlessly. Konan was on the other side.

Sakura stopped, and the woman made a welcoming gesture. Had the other been a clone? That would make sense. One of the Amekage probably couldn't afford to leave the village whenever someone wanted to defect.

"Naruto and Sasuke are waiting," she said, clearly waiting for Sakura. "Come in, won't you?"

Sakura obliged, stepping past Konan, and the door closed behind them. She was telling the truth: Naruto and Sasuke were both there, already drying off and seated on the floor. They both smiled as Sakura sat down next to them, luxuriating in the dry warmth of the tower.

"Can we do that again?" Naruto asked, and Konan laughed.

"Stay here for now," she said. The room had three different doors leading into it including the double one that led to the balcony, and she stepped through one of them as she kept talking. "It'll be just a moment."

Then she was gone, and Team Seven was left alone. They looked at each other, and Sakura could see they were just as much at a loss for words as she was. After a second, she shrugged.

"Wanna look around?" she asked. Sasuke gave her a questioning look, and she raised an eyebrow.

"The room? I doubt they'll care," he said. He stood up and Sakura mirrored him: Naruto stayed on the floor, leaning back on both hands and staring at the ceiling.

It was an interesting design, Sakura thought. The room was circular and the ceiling was slightly raised in the center. It was covered in swirling art of the elements: fire, water, air, earth, and lightning all mixed together and traced intricate figures across the whole space, drawing countless elegant designs. She tried to follow one arc of lightning from its beginning to its end and was lost halfway through in a snarl of water.

The room itself was pretty spartan. There were a half dozen chairs lining one of the walls, an odd egg-like design with a cushion in the center. There was a short coffee table in the center with mats set around it, but it looked old and dingy. In general, the room looked like people didn't spend much time in it, but if that was the case why had they been brought here?

"Hmm," Sasuke said. Sakura looked over to find him examining the hardwood floor.

"What?" she asked, and he shook his head.

"Just dunno what kind of wood this is," he said, and Naruto laughed.

"It's wood," he said, rapping his knuckle on it. "What's the difference?"

There was a difference, Sakura thought. They were in a foreign country, in a foreign village, surrounded by foreign ninja and foreign weather. Even the floor was unfamiliar. She felt the enormity of her decision rear up behind her like a hungry shadow and dismissed it with a wave of her hand.

She was meant to be here.

There was a click, and they all turned to look as one of the doors opened. It wasn't Konan who came through this time, but two men instead. They were both tall and lithe, and dressed in simple black armor with a half-cloak covered in the Akatsuki's symbols hanging off their left and right arm respectively. One of them had orange hair and brown eyes, and was the taller of the two; the other was shorter, with a lazier posture, and had long red hair that almost fell to the small of his back. His eyes were hidden in its shadow.

'Amekage.' Sakura knew it the second she saw them. Both men bled obvious and effortless authority, straightening her spine with just their presence. She remembered what the Hokage had told her before she'd left.

`The very first test any defector faces in Amegakure is administered by him.'

Nagato, the man with the Rinnegan. That must have been the man with red hair. The other one was Yahiko. They'd replaced one Amekage with two others.

"Good morning!" Yahiko said, and his cheerful voice almost knocked them down. Naruto sprung to his feet, meeting the enthusiasm head on. "Good to see you!"

"Good morning!" Naruto said right back, and Sakura and Sasuke echoed him at a much lower volume.

"I'm Yahiko, Amekage," Yahiko said as he walked right up to Naruto and stuck out his hand. Naruto took his hand without hesitation and gave it a firm shake, and the handsome man gave him a toothy grin. "Naruto Namikaze, huh? I'm surprised to see you here."

"Why?" Naruto asked, sounding genuinely confused, and Sakura couldn't tell if he was just suddenly a much better actor or if he was being sincere. Yahiko laughed.

"You've got a lot of integrity," he said, finishing the handshake and drawing back. "To stand by your team like this? You must be fearless."

Naruto took the compliment with a grin, and Yahiko's eyes wandered over to Sasuke. "And Sasuke Uchiha too," he said, his voice dropping a little. Sasuke gave him a small nod. Yahiko smiled, his entire existence at odds with Rain's cold and dreary reality, and Sakura was keenly aware of how a man like this could have taken over a country. "I'm glad to have you here, you know."

"I'm only here for my brother," Sasuke said. Yahiko's smile didn't crack. "And for my team."

"Then you're in the right place," he said, suddenly quite serious, before he winked as if sharing a private joke. "And thanks for the honesty."

Yahiko turned to Sakura last and considered her for a moment, stroking his chin with a sly grin. "And you, Sakura Haruno. Konan told me you were the most impressive shinobi at the Exams. You humiliated Sand's Jinchuriki, right?" He stuck out his hand, the same he had for Naruto's, and Sakura found herself taking it without thinking, drawn in by his smile. "I wish I could have seen it myself."

He sounded sincere. Sakura didn't know how to feel about a foreign Kage praising her to her face so guilelessly. She shook the man's hand and spoke quietly.

"Thank you. I'm glad it got Haku's attention."

"Oh, it definitely did. He wouldn't shut up about you," Yahiko said, and Sakura ignored the jolt of electricity that surged through her body at the thought. "Speaking of not shutting up," he continued, releasing Sakura's hand and gesturing at the red-haired man. "This is my friend and fellow Amekage, Nagato." He grinned, and Nagato smiled back. "As you can see, he's very talkative."

Sakura bowed her head, but Nagato stepped forward and stuck out his hand. He moved with much more deliberateness than Yahiko did, as though he were afraid of breaking something with even a small action. He smiled down at Sakura, and spoke in a quiet and calm voice, like a gentle tide breaking against a smooth stone. She could see the gleam of something purple now, behind his hair.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Sakura Haruno."

Sakura took Nagato's hand and opened her mouth to return the greeting.

She froze.

Sakura couldn't move. She tried to make a sound, but her mouth refused to move, staying open mid-greeting. She could feel Nagato's chakra rushing from her hand throughout her whole body, the same burning stuff that had invaded her when she'd pierced her palm with the black rod. It was what was rooting her in place.

"Sakura?" Naruto took a step forward but before he could get far Yahiko placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Naruto," he said, and Sakura could just barely watch them out of the corner of her eye. "Konan told you you would be questioned when you arrived, right?"

"Yeah, something like that," Naruto said. Sakura's attention was drawn away, back to Nagato, as something started to rip its way out of the ground behind him. She watched in horror as the leering face of a demon tore itself into reality at Nagato's back, staring over his shoulder and right into her eyes.

She gagged, blinking in alarm as her tongue suddenly grew heavy. It snaked out of her mouth, slithering through the air and growing longer by the second, and she glanced back over towards Naruto and Sasuke, eyes wide. They were both talking with Nagato, their voices distant.

"That's what Nagato is doing," Yahiko said with a reassuring look. "It's a technique of his; he's just going to ask Sakura a few questions, and then you guys will be all set, all right?"

Naruto gave a hesitant nod. He couldn't see it, Sakura realized with a jolt. Not her tongue, not the face. To him, she was just standing there holding Nagato's hand. He glanced over at her and caught her wide eyed look. His eyes narrowed, but he didn't say anything: he just gave a fake smile and gave her a thumbs up.

"Sakura." Her attention was jerked back towards Nagato once more. A hand emerged from the mouth of the demonic face, and then another, both questing forward over Nagato's shoulder until they reached her twisting, extended tongue. She gagged, and they seized her, painfully squeezing the thing coming out of her mouth.

Sakura knew she would have been jittering if she could, but her body was still frozen. It wasn't a tongue coming out of her mouth: it was her chakra, or her soul, something, and the Amekage had just quite literally grabbed hold of it. Her breathing stayed steady; right now, her body wasn't hers.

"Yes or no questions, okay?" Nagato said, and Sakura was allowed to nod. Naruto and Sasuke didn't react; they didn't hear the question, or see her motion. She and the Amekage were frozen to the both of them. "Unfortunately, if you lie you will die, so please be honest."

Lie and die. The Amekage's words were echoed by the memory of the Hokage saying the exact same thing. He was completely attuned to her right now and in some way, the connection went both ways. That was why she wasn't allowed to speak, Sakura realized: so that she couldn't ask questions herself. If she could, she could finish her mission right now.

"I don't want to be responsible for your death," the man muttered, and Sakura could tell he was completely sincere. She nodded again, and he gave her a smile.

"Is there a traitor in Rain who works for the Leaf?

Yes, Sakura tried to say, the vibration traveling down the connection between them. Nagato gave her a thoughtful look.

"Do you know who they are?"

No. She didn't die, and Nagato's look changed to approving.

"Then, the important thing." He leaned in, the Rinnegan dominating her vision. "Were you sent here to spy on us, Sakura Haruno?"

For a second, Sakura hesitated.

It was the starkest binary she'd ever seen. Betray the village's trust, or die. To her surprise, she found herself grappling with it. That was interesting, she thought, that she would even consider death for Konoha. She thought that she had moved past that as soon as she'd taken the mission, but that was childish. Of course it wasn't as simple as just changing her mind; it was how she'd been raised.

But in the end, she'd been sent here to betray the village. The Hokage had even told her what to do in this exact situation. Tell the truth, no matter what. Become a loyal shinobi of the Nation of Rain, no matter what. Her mission wasn't to die.

'Even if you have to deceive yourself.'

Yes. She matched Nagato's gaze without flinching, and he raised his eyebrows.

The hands wrapped around her soul released her, withdrawing back into the demon's face with a snap, and it sunk beneath the ground and out of sight. Nagato straightened up and released Sakura's hand, and she was suddenly in control of her body once more. She gagged at the phantom sensation of her tongue filling her mouth, and Sasuke came to her side.

"You alright?" he asked, and she nodded.

"She's perfectly fine," Nagato said gently. "My apologies for that; safety can be an uncomfortable business." He turned to Yahiko, who gave him a curious look. "It's just as we thought."

"Oh?" Yahiko asked, giving Sakura another obvious appraisal. "Brave of you to tell him."

"Wouldn't you have known anyway if I'd died?" Sakura asked, and Yahiko laughed. Both Naruto and Sasuke flinched in alarm.

"That part's a bluff," he said, and Sakura had no idea if he was telling the truth or not. It was so strange to have to return to body language and tone of voice after being so thoroughly wired to Nagato's soul.

"What?" Naruto asked. "Sakura, what happened?"

"I told him the truth," Sakura said, and Naruto gave her an incredulous look. "About why I'm here."

As Naruto sputtered, at a loss for words, she turned back to Yahiko. "But I was only using that as an excuse."

"To come here?" Yahiko asked. She nodded.

"I was curious ever since Haku told me about the Akatsuki during the Chunin Exam." She couldn't afford to focus on anything else: it was just her and Yahiko now. She had to make this the truth, dig up a part of her where it was and make that her entire reality. Sakura was sure that was her only chance. "I'm too young to have seen war; I don't ever want to. My sensei's friends died in the Third War, and my parents both fought in it too. They never talked to me about it even when we liked each other." She shifted, trying to sell some very real uncertainty for another purpose. "What Haku told me made me think the Akatsuki was the only one really trying to prevent that sort of conflict; that all of the other villages, Konoha included, were just stuck on that path, always creating more violence. That's why I wanted to come here, to see if that was true."

She gestured at Naruto and Sasuke. "They didn't know about my mission; they caught me while I was trying to leave. That's why they're beat up." All the truth, missing some words. She smiled. "They refused to let me go alone, and I was selfish. I was scared to go leave, so I let them come."

"Let us." Naruto rolled his eyes. He'd caught on, Sakura thought. No matter what the circumstances, their teamwork was still perfect. "It was either that or we'd beat the crap out of her and drag her back."

"Ha!" Yahiko chuckled. "I guess you're even better friends than I figured." He leaned back against the wall, his arms crossed. "You felt out of place in Konoha," he said, directly addressing Sakura. "You felt like you were asking questions you weren't supposed to."

"Yes." She didn't have to think about lying: that was completely true.

"That's all that matters," Nagato said, his soft voice almost wistful. He gestured delicately to the designs flowing across the room. "Rain is always happy to welcome spies." He smiled. "We are the greatest confluence of spies in the world."

"Spy central," Yahiko laughed, and Nagato chuckled. "And I'm sure Minato knew that when he chose you, Sakura." He grin went a little sideways. "You being sent as a spy isn't a problem."

"I don't even know how I'd do it," she admitted. "So that's kinda a relief."

"It should be! Being a spy is hard!" Yahiko said with his easy laugh. "You shouldn't worry about it: the only thing you should worry about is whether you can take the Nation's beliefs into your heart."

He shifted, his posture changing a little, and Sakura cocked her head. For the first time, Yahiko seemed completely serious; he reminded her of the Hokage, the way he'd focused as they'd sat at his desk and discussed her mission.

"If you can, that's great," he said. "But if you can't…" His face grew hard. "If you don't become a true shinobi of Rain, you'll be a traitor to both the Leaf and the Rain." He was like a knife, so sharp that his words pierced right through her. "Do you understand what I mean?"

Sakura swallowed, feeling her sword at her hip. It wasn't a crass threat, nothing so blatant as 'I'll kill you.'

'He definitely could though.'

But the meaning was obvious. She wouldn't have a home. She wouldn't have any allies. No one would trust her; she would be as good as dead, just another rogue ninja with nothing to live for but themselves.

"I understand," she said.

Yahiko's cold face vanished as quickly as it had appeared, and he was back to his normal self. He winked, as if what he'd just said hadn't made Sakura's heart drop into her stomach. The world opened up again as she breathed out, and Naruto and Sasuke and Nagato were there once again, silently watching the proceedings.

"Awesome," he said.

Another one of the doors opened, and two Konan's stepped through, apparently identical.

"Come with me," the one closer to the door said, and Team Seven faced her as one. "I'll get you all situated."

"Good to meet you, Sakura, Naruto, Sasuke," Yahiko said with a jaunty wave as they passed him. "I imagine we'll be talking again soon. Until then, get to know the village." He grinned. "After all, it's your new home."

The door closed behind them, and with no idea of what else to do, Sakura and her friends followed Konan deeper into the tower.

###

After the children had left, Konan waited by the door a moment until the sound of her clone's footsteps had completely dissipated. When it was gone, she nodded, and Yahiko sighed and sunk down in one of the circular chairs lining the walls.

"Yeesh," he said, and Nagato let out a little laugh. "I didn't expect this."

"It was optimistic," Nagato said, joining him in another chair, "to think all three of them would come." His ringed eyes shined with amusement. "Too good to be true."

"And yet that's precisely what happened," Konan said, walking away from the door and pacing in front of the two of them. She'd been just as surprised when she'd met Sakura and her team in that field, but the situation had been obvious to her immediately. The injuries on the boys, Sakura's tense attitude: it didn't matter if she was genuinely defecting or not, she'd been caught in the act and that shame had only sharpened her resolve. "But it's a dangerous gift that the Leaf has sent us."

"Very," Yahiko acknowledged. "They've got enormous potential, all three of them." He leaned back in the chair, hands laced behind his head. "That alone would bring a lot of attention, but the fact we've got the Hokage's son and a genius Uchiha…"

"Two," Konan gently reminded him, and Yahiko rolled his eyes. "I'm sure that's why they're here. It's certainly why Sasuke is."

"To see if it's true?" Yahiko said, and Konan gave him an unimpressed look. He laughed. "Well, I guess that's sensible."

"Them being here only puts Rain in more danger," Nagato said. He was always quiet and always focused, and that meant that when he spoke, both Konan and Yahiko always listened. It was always so surreal to Konan that their friend who had been so little and pale as a child now held the power of a god in his hands, but her life had taught her that the world worked in funny ways. Had she ever dreamed of being the head of a village, the object of the whole world's disdain?

Certainly not, but that only made it funnier.

"What do you mean, Nagato?" she asked, and he steepled his fingers in his lap, staring down at them with his legendary eyes.

"The attention they bring will far outstrip their ability for years," he said, and as always Konan was trapped between being impressed and disturbed at just how quickly Nagato could cut to the heart of a person's worth to the Nation. Maybe it was because he could see inside them in a way no one else could dream of, or because he had been the Akatsuki's pillar of strength for so long. "Even if they're all prodigies, which is very possible." He drummed a finger against his knee. "I saw in her that all of them have already mastered the Rasengan: at their age, that's a remarkable feat."

"That would be impressive," Yahiko said, "but we don't need them for that. Rain already has plenty of powerful ninja." He grinned. "Them being here shows that our message, the Akatsuki's message, works. To others, it'll be proof that even Minato Namikaze's son doesn't believe in Konoha."

"Or they'll think he came for petty reasons," Konan pointed out. "Sakura grew distant from her parents after the Exam according to our sources; perhaps it was the same for Naruto." She considered the problem, her eyebrows pushing in as Yahiko gave her a funny look. "Or perhaps he found out about the mission his father had given her, and the realization that he was willing to send his friend away was the final straw."

"It's pointless to speculate," Nagato said with a shake of his head. "What matters is that they're here, and you're obviously determined to keep them." He glanced at Yahiko and the man raised his hands.

"Guilty," he said guilelessly. "I think they are spectacular shinobi." He grinned. "And I like them. She's fearless, and so are Namikaze and the Uchiha."

"She's not fearless," Konan and Nagato said at the same time, and they shot each other an amused look. Yahiko glanced back and forth between the two of them and laughed, and Nagato made a deferential gesture. Konan smiled and continued. "She's terrified to be here, and she's terrified for her comrades. That was obvious to me."

"And to me," Nagato said, his Rinnegan gleaming. "But that only makes it more impressive, doesn't it?"

"It does," Yahiko said, teeth shining. "But let's back up." He stroked his chin, an old nervous tic of his that Konan still found endearing. "If we want to keep them here, we'll have to keep their mission running for as long as possible. Otherwise, I'm sure they'll run the first chance they get, no matter how curious Sakura is about the Akatsuki." He glanced back at Konan. "You think they're all here for Sasuke's brother?"

"Him and the Nanabi," she confirmed. "It's the only thing that could have driven Namikaze to such rash action, don't you think?"

"He's normally such a careful one," Yahiko agreed. "But that'll be tricky, won't it?"

"Very," Nagato said, his voice subdued. He closed his eyes. "It will be simple enough to conceal the truth at first. They will expect us to hide the presence of Itachi and the Nanabi Jinchuriki."

Konan spoke. "But eventually, Kakuzu will return to the village." She was sure of it, even if the man had not checked in since he'd been given his mission. The ancient shinobi from Waterfall was brusque but loyal to money, and Rain had plenty of that.

"Precisely," Nagato said. He opened his eyes. "We'll have to keep him out of the village. The truth would be too complicated for a spy to accurately relay, and that could cause Konoha to behave even more rashly."

Konan looked up, taking in the intermixed elemental design on the ceiling and sighing. It was true. If they called Sakura and her friends back in right now and told them exactly what had occurred at Waterfall, they wouldn't be believed. More than that, they'd probably be despised. If they meant to keep them, they would have to hide that until they were converted, or in too deep to consider leaving over personal feelings. The alliance was still fragile right now: it wasn't a matter of loyalty between shinobi and Kage, but a new and novel relationship where they were almost equals.

"The other villages finally see us as a true equal, with a Bijuu of our own," Yahiko mused, drawing their attention back to him. He was at his handsomest when he was thinking, Konan thought. "And a ninja as frightening as Itachi on top of that. They'll begin treating us more seriously, and even more so when word that a team as promising as this one has defected to join us wholesale."

"We may not want 'more seriously,'" Nagato cautioned. "They'll assume the worst of our every move now."

"They already did," Konan said with a laugh, and Nagato couldn't help but chuckle. "And we've always acted with that in mind. Do any of the villages trust their competition? It's just the way things are."

"Maybe that's why Itachi agreed to work with Kakuzu," Yahiko said suddenly. Konan blinked at his stark tone.

"Making the other villages respect us more?" she asked with a raised eyebrow, and Yahiko nodded.

"Respect and fear are the same thing to a lot of ninja," he said. "Itachi knows that: I can't believe otherwise. And since Kakuzu still hasn't returned..." He frowned. "They're the most powerful men in the world right now, and yet no one knows where they are, not even us. That sort of leverage is pretty unbelievable." His frown grew more severe. "We can't let them hold it for long."

"All true," Konan said, "but it's like Nagato said. Right now, speculation is pointless." She stopped pacing, standing before the both of them like a monolith. "We should focus on our new ninja."

"They have enormous loyalty to each other," Nagato said. "It's why they're here in the first place. We need to keep that in mind."

"Splitting them up would be too overt," Yahiko completed the thought with a grin. "And turn them against us. Every crass rumor about Rain would be proved true."

"But we also can't let them stay as a three man cell," Konan said. "That would isolate them from the rest of the village. If the only ones they work with are each other, they'll still be outsiders in Rain."

"Each of them formed a bond with someone in the team we sent," Yahiko said, and he jumped up out of his chair. Now, he was the one pacing, to Konan's amusement. "They were perfectly matched, I'd say." He snapped his fingers several times, recalling the report they'd received from their Chunin Exam team and Zabuza Momochi. "Haku and Sakura, obviously. Peas in a pod, that's obvious. Their jutsu are even complimentary; it's like it's meant to be. Kabuto and Naruto got along well, and he's perceptive enough to be the perfect bodyguard."

Konan nodded, since it was self-evident the Hokage's son would have to be guarded. He, more than anyone else on the team, would attract unpleasant attention from the other villages.

"And Suigetsu and Sasuke…" Yahiko trailed off, and laughed. "From what Haku said, they just bickered, but they're teenagers. There might be something there. And if not, Sasuke strikes me as an independent guy. He could operate in just about any cell successfully, I bet." He stopped pacing with a grin. "Friendship and trust are a powerful thing," he said, squeezing Konan's hand. She squeezed him back, and Nagato snorted at their show of affection. "They're what let us overthrow this country. We just need to rely on them forming those bonds, and they'll do all the work."

"You're right," Nagato said. "As usual, Yahiko."

"Anything to add besides flattery?" Yahiko said with a roll of his eyes, and Nagato gave him a grin.

"Don't forget that we're dealing with the lives of rather brilliant teenagers," he said. "They will surprise us; it's inevitable. You say that our friendship let us overthrow the Daimyo, and that's true, but now, we're the status quo in this country: if we're not careful, their friendship could overthrow us."

What a cheater, Konan thought. She was sure that Nagato would be just as insightful even if he couldn't read people's minds, but that extra help from the Rinnegan definitely helped.

She squeezed Yahiko's hand again and stepped away, regarding both her teammates. "Leave them to me," she said. Nagato gave a grateful nod, and Yahiko a curious look. "I'll take care of their lodging, assignments, and integration. I believe they're important enough the extra attention will be worth it." She pointed at each of them in turn with a small smile. "You keep yourself busy running the country. The Nation has to keep growing stronger, and the Daimyo's hold on the world weaker."

Her smile grew a little cold. "More than anyone, we have that responsibility. Things will only escalate now."

"If you'll take them," Yahiko said cheerfully. "I bet they'll prove a handful."

"I'll take them," she said, planting a quick kiss on his cheek. "To tell you the truth, I'm excited."

Yahiko blushed like he was still a teenager, and Nagato stood up with a mocking grin. The Amekage left the room as one, returning to their duties as the rain poured down outside, a distant crack of thunder barely penetrating the room.

"I think this could be the thing we've been waiting for; the last little push that could change everything."

###

Part 2 is here, and exciting times are ahead! Thanks for coming on this journey with me: I hope you enjoyed the chapter, and what's to come.

Last edited:
Ahhhh what happened to Fu? Please don't say she got soul vacuumed to death already. I liked her ;_; . Also I wonder what Kakuzu is actually like in this timeline? The plot thickens!

Intriguing. Rain wants to be perceived as equivalent to other villages, but that's only a stepping stone to their actual plans. Kakuzu being open to hiring is a neat thing.

Hoping that Fuu is still alive.

Kinda interesting that they only interrogate Sakura?

Obviously the answer there was revealing enough on it's own, but it didn't even seem like they were planning to do the others. It does sort of feel like they figured out the plot fast, since she had the open invite, and they're accepting naruto and sasuke as accessories... which might come into play, I'm thinking.

I for one kinda like our new amekage overlords. Taking over a country with the power of friendship is kinda wholesome ish

It seems like Rain is not particularly worried about spies because they want their philosophy to get out. And fairly confident they can turn them. I think they'll accept anyone who wants to join.

They're fanatic egalitarian and they want legitimacy so they can prove they have a better form of government compared to the current feudal system. The only thing They're lacking is an attempt at widespread ninshu teaching to the populace.

It's going to be the ninja world equivalent to the IRL Red Scare about communism.

Back