New Subscriber benefit: Logo selection feature

Want to use the older logos, or upcoming logos? Now subscribers can!

Thanks to @Redshirt Army for these great logos we can now enjoy all year round :)

1697951507498.png
1697951616146.png

In the back-end, this feature allows staff to more easily upload new logos and also schedule them for specific event times.

Over time, additional logos will be added and be automatically added to this list.

:wtf: :facepalm: What the actual fuck?

Yes I know what you did here: You used an update to your backend to create a new functionality for the site which makes it easier to use it for the staff while also offering a new option for subscribers. That's all great and a good piece of programming and ergonomics.

Now mind explaining to me why LGBTQ+ People have to pay you to feel more welcome on this site? We've had this discussion before:

And now it says it is implemented. It's not, not until the Rainbow logo is available to anyone using the site. I know this will take time and more work so it's not like I'm asking for this right now.

But please for fuck's sake don't leave the LGBTQ+ logo behind a paywall indefinitely.

As an LBGTQ+ person I am not really sure why the fun rainbow impactor should be considered something that can make LGBTQ+ people feel more welcome on the website. If the selection of such in general as a subscriber benefit is acceptable I'm not sure why this is so different? Most of the threads are just aesthetic appreciation tinged with "And it would mean something" and... I dunno that it would. It's a website logo.

I think it's fine to ask for it in particular to be a free option to users, that'd be cool, but I don't understand why the urgency or umbrage and I guess I'm putting this here in case anybody else is confused on that the way I am.

Yes I know what you did here: You used an update to your backend to create a new functionality for the site which makes it easier to use it for the staff while also offering a new option for subscribers. That's all great and a good piece of programming and ergonomics.

Now mind explaining to me why LGBTQ+ People have to pay you to feel more welcome on this site? We've had this discussion before:

And now it says it is implemented. It's not, not until the Rainbow logo is available to anyone using the site. I know this will take time and more work so it's not like I'm asking for this right now.

But please for fuck's sake don't leave the LGBTQ+ logo behind a paywall indefinitely.
I think most LGBTQ+ people on the site don't really care. Don't wanna speak for everyone obviously, but I personally do not care. I feel welcome on SV because there are prominent LGBTQ+ members and rules that proactively stop bigotry, not because of a (admittedly stylish) logo.

It's not like they're paywalling critical site functionality. Idk this just gets a shrug from me.

To be clear, this functionally does not replace the rotation of the site's default logo (for summer, pride, Halloween, and other times of the year). The pride logo will return site-wide next year.

And we've now added the Summerfest Pride variant back into the list after realizing it was missing, because I knew where to find the originals and was able to get it back into the system.

As an LBGTQ+ person I am not really sure why the fun rainbow impactor should be considered something that can make LGBTQ+ people feel more welcome on the website. If the selection of such in general as a subscriber benefit is acceptable I'm not sure why this is so different? Most of the threads are just aesthetic appreciation tinged with "And it would mean something" and... I dunno that it would. It's a website logo.

I think it's fine to ask for it in particular to be a free option to users, that'd be cool, but I don't understand why the urgency or umbrage and I guess I'm putting this here in case anybody else is confused on that the way I am.

The urgency is me pointing out that the functionality asked for in that thread is not fully implemented even though that thread now outright says it has been. Not in asking it be implemented immediately.

My umbrage comes from the phrasing of the link that brought me here:

I'm a Hacker. Old school 90s Serbian Hacker. While I was never one for theatrics that make names or one for just living on the edge to prove some point I do still have some of my skills and the sneakernet pirate culture I grew up in during the 90s.

@100thlurker's post quite frankly pisses me off with how it is so corporate that no amount of effort could make it more so.

I'm a Hacker. Old school 90s Serbian Hacker. While I was never one for theatrics that make names or one for just living on the edge to prove some point I do still have some of my skills and the sneakernet pirate culture I grew up in during the 90s.
I'm gonna be really real an ability to wardial unprotected routers and switches is not a skillset modern systems are particularly concerned with.

Last edited:
I'm gonna be really real an ability to wardial unprotected routers and switches is not a skillset modern systems are particularly concerned with.

The fact that you think that is what Serbian hackers did in the 90s while Yugoslavia was falling apart and was under sanctions from most of the world is well telling.

While we are at that could you help me out with a curiosity: I'm curious how rusty I actually am so can you quote same @100thlurker's post I did in my previous post into this thread?

Warning: If you want me to take you seriously
if you want me to take you seriously
The fact that you think that is what Serbian hackers did in the 90s while Yugoslavia was falling apart and was under sanctions from most of the world is well telling.

While we are at that could you help me out with a curiosity: I'm curious how rusty I actually am so can you quote same @100thlurker's post I did in my previous post into this thread?
The answer to an admin laughing at your threats against the site is not to go 'no I'm totally credible I swear watch me edit html in inspect element or copy some numbers into a quote box manually'. Convincing us means that we ban you from the site, so in the interests of saving you from digging yourself any deeper, take 50 points under Rule 1 for threatening site infrastructure.

Back