Miraculous Ladybug: The Movie

variety.com

‘Miraculous: Ladybug & Cat Noir,’ Animated Girl-Power Musical, Conquers French Box Office

While Greta Gerwig’s girl-power blockbuster “Barbie” is ruling over the French box office, another much younger female-led franchise, “Miraculous: Ladybug & Cat Noir&#82…
While Greta Gerwig's girl-power blockbuster "Barbie" is ruling over the French box office, another much younger female-led franchise, "Miraculous: Ladybug & Cat Noir" has managed to pull approximately €8 million ($8.9 million) at the local B.O., from more than 1.1 million tickets, since bowing on July 5.

Featuring eight original songs and a postcard-worthy Parisian backdrop, the musical film broke ground as the first female-powered superhero movie set in the French capital. Even as it faces stiff competition from "Barbie" and Christopher Nolan's "Oppenheimer," "Miraculous: Ladybug & Cat Noir" has enough legs to match or surpass recent non-U.S. animated hits such as "Ballerina," which sold 1.8 million tickets in France. It garnered 318,144 admissions on its opening day in theaters, a record for a French animated film. In Germany, the movie sold 586,148 tickets in three weeks and is currently the leading family title at the box office.

"Miraculous: Ladybug & Cat Noir" premieres on Netflix on July 28 in a flurry of international territories, including North and Latin America.

Now that I've seen this movie... here are a few things I can say without spoiling it too much.

Positives about the movie-- I really love how they made Paris feel far more alive and more populated in the movie, as opposed to the TV show where they had like 20 random Paris citizens that they recycled over and over for the background.
In the TV show, it was to the point where you keep on recognizing that one guy who apparently holds different jobs that you can't help but think-- is it actually one guy who does all this stuff, is he actually part of a triplet set of identical siblings, or is the animator just lazy and reusing the same model for different people over and over without even changing eye color and hair?
But with the movie, you don't really think that because all of the models are so distinct and different from each other, even for the random nobodies.

and most people looked great with the updated models, giving them a serious glow-up! well, most of them. there were a couple where some just looked odd. like Ayla's super hairy eyebrows somehow didn't look right on her under certain lighting?

Now for the brief negatives I didn't like about the movie--
The movie brings nothing new to the table besides updated 3d models. feels like a rehash of early seasons but with a few things changed so that we see Hawkmoth outsed at the end of the movie so that things tie up neatly. older LB fans usually want to see something new, ya know?

They overdid it on some gags. like Marinette being ever so clumsy as hell all the friggin time, even as Ladybug... and Plagg being nothing but a farting machine.

Back