Metal Gear Solid V: Chronicles of Outer Heaven (MGS/Valkyria Chronicles)

Kept you waiting huh?

• WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG!?

Votes: 68 11.2%
  • SHUT UP AND LOOK OVER MY CHARACTER ALREADY!

Votes: 10 1.7%
  • WELCOME BACK BOSS!

Votes: 386 63.8%
  • BRING BACK THE CAT GIRLS ALREADY!

Votes: 141 23.3%

• Total voters
With This Eye, I See 1 (1CP) :P
With This Eye, I See: A D-Dog Tale

Song 1: Empty

=====

I remember it well. My life before I would become the hunter-brother of the old one who called himself Ahab.

I was lost.

Without family and without hope. All cruelly taken away from me by the immortal beings whom other wolves that sing through the night fearfully whispered of.

Man.

The undisputed rulers of our kingdom whose temperaments are as capricious as the many forms of our goddess. Our Moon.

To many, we are but pests to be ridden of through their weapons of fire and thunder.

How regrettable it is that many of them do not understand our tongue, so far from the origin of all, I suppose that upon further consideration with the wisdom of adulthood that the tragedy of my origin could have been avoided if we could only communicate to one another.

No. It is perhaps, that I think this way because of my hunt-brother's influence and those of his kin who follow in his path.

I know I am no normal wolf.

The lessons I have been taught, the incomprehensible tools I have been given.

I can choose to kill or disable any being of this world at my leisure if I were so inclined.

To be trusted with the tools and knowledge of the immortals known as man

I am only too glad that my hunt-brother is both wise and unimaginably powerful.

For if I did not witness Ahab fight his own inner demons day after day, I fear that I would have succumbed to my own had I not his example to follow.

And what power he holds. At a mere whim he could send his hunt-brothers and sisters out to ravage the world if he were to desire it. I have seen the unbelievable, impossible tools of the immortals. All it would take is a touch of their strange, seemingly weak digits to set the world on fire.

But Ahab does not use this power. Instead he acts to seal it away so that this abominable weapon may never be used to throw the world into an unending cycle of death.

I cannot understand his reasoning. I do not have the capacity for it. The immortal race known as man are so beyond those of us who follow the natural order of the world that it would be folly to even believe we could come to understand them.

This is the lesson passed from Wolf to Pup.

We cannot understand the beings called humanity.

But this is not true.

I should not understand him.

But I do.

I always have.

February, 1984
Afghanistan

"Do you want to come with me?
" The old human asks, his words unintelligible, but his meaning clear by the offering of rough fingers waiting for me to approach and scent.

I pawed forward without fear. It was not simply the curiosity of a foolish pup that drew me forth.

His fingers stank of blood, sweat, and death.

By every lesson mother and my elder siblings taught me, I should have ran.

But I didn't.

"Hello…? I'm Fang Who Cuts the World!" I replied, finished taking in the human's scent and looking up at him with the eye that could still see.

"Hey there. You can call me Ahab." He didn't say.

But I understood just like he understood me.

"A...hab…?" I asked.

"Yeah." And he replied, taking me in his arms and carefully tucking me into his human 'cloth'.

"C'mon. Let's get you home". His chest rumbled with subdued strength.

His measured breathing and body heat was a comfort to me.

Next to me, the young human pup stirs, shivering in the morning cold.

"Ah!?" Gasping awake from the frightful dreams that haunt her, her eyes open to show me a vision of a terrified youngling who has known love and loss.

"D-dream…"

Only, moments later, the ocean blue of her eyes dull once more, hiding herself behind the protection of a closed heart.

It distresses me.

In my mind, I know that the one called Hana is beyond what I could ever be.

Such is the kind of existence that a human is. Even their children understand more of the universe than the oldest of my kind ever could.

*chuff*.

When I am old and my fur turns gray. When my eyes are unseeing and when my nose begins to fail…

Hana will only just be reaching young adulthood in the time of the immortals.

I am only a wolf. If a young one just having reached the power and wisdom of adulthood.

… "wff."

But I understand your pain very well, oh young immortal.

Time moves so much differently for us.

How will you continue when I am no longer here to guide you? To comfort you?

Should I not leave you now so that you may learn to fend for yourself?

To leave you like my own mother would have for myself and my siblings had they lived?

I...

"DD…" The small immortal that still dwarfs me in size in her youth reaches out, a small, unscarred hand of warm flesh and blood shakily stroking along the fur of my back…

As if to make sure that I am still here.

I...

I cannot.

I will not leave.

"Sleep young immortal. The sun will soon rise to chase away the demons of the night." I croon, pawing to the side and resting my back against the child who wraps her limbs around me in the search for security.

I will not abandon you. Not even when I am old and unable to smell.

When I am gone, my children will guard you.

And when they too come to greet me in the night's song that never ends…

Their own children will watch after you.

They will watch until you are old and have no need of us any longer.

But for now, the sun is rising. I must attend to my duties and prepare myself for the hunts ahead-

"Nn…"

I feel something wet.

Small beads of liquid drop along my fur.

And when I try to move away, small hands grip me with a weak…

Desperate familiarity.

"DD… stay…" The youngling whispers, burrowing herself into my fur and relaxing as her breathing slows and the former thudding of her heart settles into a soothing beat against my back.

……

………….

Alright...

I will stay with you a little longer, young pup.

Hunt-brother will understand.

Because he too knows pain.

More than I can ever know.

I lay my head down, curling up to rest my chin against my paws and close my eye.

When Ahab arrives in search of my whereabouts, I am still here.

He says nothing as we stare at one another with the only working eyes that we have, no words or movements needing to be shared.

Wise, ancient Ahab simply makes a pleased human expression and slowly closes the door with soft words of parting hidden behind an equally gentle sounding order.

"Good. Stay and guard." He says, whispering with the wind.

"Of course." I reply.

Ahab is strong. It is not necessary for me to worry for his sake.

"Nn…" The pup next to me bundles her fingers along my fur in distress-

Away with you demons. I will not suffer your presence here.

Gently, I turn ever so slowly so that I can rest my chin against the neck and cheek of the girl who so desperately wishes for the comfort of her mother and father.

Not when there are younglings that need looking after.

Not when there are souls that must be guarded.

[X]Plan The Truth Will Out (Toughened)
-[X] Emergency Ops 1: A Quiet Interrogation
-[X] Main Ops 2: Investigating Huey (AI Pod Recovery)
-[X] Side Ops 3: No Son of Mine
-[X] Side Ops 9: Denuclearization 2 "No Tomorrow"
-[X] Side Ops 4: Let's Talk Huey *New Game+*
-[X] R&D 4: Ballistic Vests

Again, I'd be willing to grab stuff like the parasite suit which can be unequipped at will, but stuff like the 'One Which Covers' will outright cripple any possibility of doing saltwater operations permanently, as well as having weaknesses to stuff like drying out in the middle of the desert/constant need of water. (and I'd wager something like the Skulls parasite unit in terms of capability is way off in the future. At least, one way which doesn't end up making the people who get the enhancements mutated af and zombie-like)

(and even then the DD in the game itself had to rely on grabbing and converting parasites from skulls that were downed for use in the parasite suits, so there's also the problem of making more of them.)
We don't need to equip everyone we have with Parasite. In fact I'd be against it. I fully expect infecting and acclimatizing even a few soldiers for Parasites to take a full action and a hefty sum of GMP. They should only be for the best of the best. And the salt water thing isn't that big a deal, just shove'em in a wet suit. Only Quiet needs her Parasites to breath, everyone else has working lungs. Or just not infect troops that are notably good swimmer or such.

Last edited:
she . . . stable

kinda

maybe

enough

she'll be fine

ish

maybe

not really

lower priority then the other nutcase
While I agree she is not the ticking bombs that the others are, how long till her glass hearts break and bring down with her everyone that have connection to her? She might not be the explosion but she can be the spark.

"Nn…" The pup next to me bundles her fingers along my fur in distress-

Away with you demons. I will not suffer your presence here.
Gently, I turn ever so slowly so that I can rest my chin against the neck and cheek of the girl who so desperately wishes for the comfort of her mother and father.

Not when there are younglings that need looking after.

Not when there are souls that must be guarded.
D-Dog. Scout. Assassin. Distraction. Companion. Spirit Animal.

Therapy Dog.

On a completely different note with all the talk of how interactions between Hana/Sniper Wolf and Eli would go i'm personally wondering how interactions between him and Paz would go. I mean if you look at Eli's character sheet Paz is the only person on the base who has a 2/10 relationship with instead of a 1/10 relationship which tells me he views her slightly differently. Maybe we should switch one of the Huey actions out for the Paz action because it could synergize positively with thr Eli action?

(Now i'm thinking about Paz starting to dote on Eli with it eventually getting to the point she essentially adopts him with or without his permission. I'm also thinking about Paz sitting down with Eli and telling him about Chico for some reason...)

This is a really really dumb thing to note but Quiet should be fielded this turn right? Like, we really need her for this given she's our only other known FOXHOUND level asset. I would really like to double down on talking with her and try to guarantee she can join the fight along with shoring up our relationship. Otherwise I really would like to talk to Paz given everything that's happened and just a little bit because I want to see what an activated Paz can do.

Not sure we should take Kevlar over the Rail given our M.O.. The rails let us double down on attachments/sights and should help us prevent things from going loud because dead sentries are quiet sentries (also a long ranged sight and one for closer engagements).

[X]Plan The Truth Will Out (Paz)
-[X] Side Ops 2: Check on Paz *New Game+*

I do not put this forward because I think it is necessarily efficient, nor the best use of actions from a mechanical standpoint but because I love the idea that Boss is trying to settle things with his problem children now that he's taking a different path forward and that he might finally have found it in himself to speak to Paz now that they've seriously began attempting to achieve her dream of peace.

This is a really really dumb thing to note but Quiet should be fielded this turn right? Like, we really need her for this given she's our only other known FOXHOUND level asset. I would really like to double down on talking with her and try to guarantee she can join the fight along with shoring up our relationship. Otherwise I really would like to talk to Paz given everything that's happened and just a little bit because I want to see what an activated Paz can do.

Not sure we should take Kevlar over the Rail given our M.O.. The rails let us double down on attachments/sights and should help us prevent things from going loud because dead sentries are quiet sentries (also a long ranged sight and one for closer engagements).

I do not put this forward because I think it is necessarily efficient, nor the best use of actions from a mechanical standpoint but because I love the idea that Boss is trying to settle things with his problem children now that he's taking a different path forward and that he might finally have found it in himself to speak to Paz now that they've seriously began attempting to achieve her dream of peace.
This is just my opinion but i'd personally keep the bulletproof vest option and replace the Huey Options with the Paz option and the second Quiet option for synergy. I have no problem with working on Huey next turn but if we are going to take the Eli and Quiet options this turn anyways we might as well try to maximize their success rate and the gains from them.

This is just my opinion but i'd personally keep the bulletproof vest option and replace the Huey Options with the Paz option and the second Quiet option for synergy. I have no problem with working on Huey next turn but if we are going to take the Eli and Quiet options this turn anyways we might as well try to maximize their success rate and the gains from them.

I feel we need to double down on Huey so that we have the best chance of resolving this situation properly. Whether that means we can keep him grounded on earth, or if he needs to be imprisoned, or under watch and seeing a therapist daily or if it ends with us handing him to The Hague for war crimes. Huey is a time bomb and it's only a matter of time before he destroys himself and others. I fear that if we do not deal with him now then it's probably to late.

I am torn on whether to actually interrogate Quiet or not but I think we have to in order to settle nerves. Would like to talk to her but I really want to see Paz because god damnit there's thematic weight to seeing Paz and telling her we're making the dream real.

Also, I am hoping that a push on Huey might butterfly canon enough to stop Quiet from feeling the need to leave.

I feel we need to double down on Huey so that we have the best chance of resolving this situation properly. Whether that means we can keep him grounded on earth, or if he needs to be imprisoned, or under watch and seeing a therapist daily or if it ends with us handing him to The Hague for war crimes. Huey is a time bomb and it's only a matter of time before he destroys himself and others. I fear that if we do not deal with him now then it's probably to late.

I am torn on whether to actually interrogate Quiet or not but I think we have to in order to settle nerves. Would like to talk to her but I really want to see Paz because god damnit there's thematic weight to seeing Paz and telling her we're making the dream real.

Also, I am hoping that a push on Huey might butterfly canon enough to stop Quiet from feeling the need to leave.

I get all i guess i just think Eli and Quiet are more time sensitive at the moment. Also couldn't we potentiall stop quiet from leaving with the second action regarding her?

[X]Plan The Truth Will Out (Toughened)

If we do somehow get another dice action this turn i'd personally like us to spend it on either the second Quier action for synergy. What are everyone elses thoughts? I know its not entirely likely we get it but i figure we should at the very least nail down what we'd vote for if we do get it.

I say Paz.

I get all i guess i just think Eli and Quiet are more time sensitive at the moment. Also couldn't we potentiall stop quiet from leaving with the second action regarding her?

Well the thing with Huey is that the pod is a main mission and explicitly time sensitive and I really want to get as much of all three as I can. Quiet I think is the one I have the most confidence we can get to next turn.

During Act 2 Huey decides to be an idiot and let's vocal parasites run rampant after one of our african recruits brings some on by accident. He might also have intended to sell some samples I think? Quiet seeing this freaks out and gets worried that her parasites might act up and start infecting other members of Mother Base so she bails hard.

I think the best way to prevent that is to ensure that the outbreak never happens since her motive was not distrust but the threat that her Parasites could kill all of mother base.

Back