Mein Krieg (Youjo Senki/Tanya the Evil OC)

Chapter 24: A Band of Brothers
Chapter 24: A Band of Brothers

"It is fortunate to have you here, sir!" Corporal Fichtner said while still focusing on the road "In the past few days, Republican mages have made numerous raids against us. The soldiers are very demoralized and disheartened. Some of us are hopeful that your presence here will improve things…"

I did not answer. I remained silent, looking at the surrounding environment, unable to stop thinking about what had just happened.

Tanya had abandoned me.

She had turned her back on me without even saying goodbye, blinking and showing the slightest hint of emotion. And since the Rhine front was infamous for its high casualty rates, the chances we could meet again were very low.

In all likelihood, I thought angrily, she now sees me just as a burden. Something that does not bring her any advantage. She probably thinks that without her support, I will die here within days...

And then suddenly a feeling of determination emerged from my anger.

I would not die. I could not die.

Not here, in this land of mud and dirt, at least. I would have to roll up my sleeves, and make a commitment to survive and do my duty as a soldier. I would remain alert for every possible opportunity, and if one of them came to me, I would have to take it.

It is time to grow up, boy, I thought to myself; Time to learn how to earn a living.

"Sir? Sir? Are you okay?" asked Corporal Fichtner with a worried tone.

"Uh? Yeah, I am all right. I was just… thinking…"

"Oh. I understand, sir. Separating oneself from your loved ones is never something pleasant."

"Just to know." I said, trying to change the subject of the conversation. "Who will I refer to once we get there?"

"To the First Lieutenant Schoenauer." Fichtner responded, "He is the commander of our platoon."

It took another five minutes before the vehicle reached the location where I was supposed to meet my new senior officer, and for the duration of the trip Fichtner could not keep his mouth shut. He was talking about the war situation, about the relationship with the soldiers, anything he said could be a topic of conversation.

I could have ordered him to shut up (my rank allowed me to do it) but in the end, I chose not to. This way I could avoid antagonizing a possibly valuable source of information, and I would avoid appearing as a tough officer, contemptuous of the opinions of subordinate soldiers.

Finally, the vehicle stopped in front of a large tent, protected by sentinels. I knew immediately that this was where I was supposed to meet the Lieutenant. I jumped down from the vehicle and walked quickly towards the entrance to the tent.

"Halt!" One of the called, raising his rifle toward me. "Identify yourself!"

"Second Lieutenant Frederick König!" I said, trying to suppress my emotions. "I'm here to ask about my redeployment…"

The soldiers looked puzzled for a few seconds.

"You...you are Frederick König?" Asked one of the sentinels coming nearer.

"Can't be! It's impossible!" The other replied, refusing to drop down the rifle.

"Soldiers, stand down!" A third voice suddenly came from inside the tent. "I'm happy to see you've made it, Lieutenant…"

I looked forward, in the direction the voice had come from. Slowly, a figure emerged from the tent. He was a tall, dark man in a black uniform, which unmistakably identifies him as an officer of a higher rank than mine. He had green eyes and blond hair, and a scar on the left cheek.

I immediately saluted "I suppose you're First Lieutenant Schoenauer. Is that right?"

"Yes." The man said, his warm smile giving me some hope. "We have been waiting for you."

I smiled in turn.

"So… you are giving me my own squad?" I asked, still half shocked at the news.

"Yes. Apparently, the High Command wants to see your leadership skills put to the test." Lieutenant Schoenauer said. "Plus, since they've lost their commanding officer a few day ago, they need a good replacement."

I knew what these words meant. Most likely several officers would keep an eye on my conduct in the coming days. If I was not able to withstand the pressure, or made a mistake, my chances of being promoted to a safe place in the rear would vanish.

"What…what happened to the previous commander?" I asked.

"Dead. He was leading the squad in a battle against the enemy's vanguard while a Republican cannon got a lucky shot. He didn't make it to sickbay."

"I am sorry to hear that." I responded, trying to appear sad.

"Don't be" the Lieutenant responded, giving me another warm smile. "He died like a hero, trying to defend our Fatherland against aggression and assault by the filthy Republicans. The best way to honor him is to take his place and try to do the job in the best possible way. And you know you will."

Suddenly, he stopped walking. I looked up, and I realized that we were in front of a medium-dimension tent.

"Here we are." he announced. "This is the command tent of the 201st Imperial Mage Battalion. From now on, you will be expected to stay here when not on active duty. You understand me?"

"Y-yes sir!" I saluted again. "Do you already have orders for me?"

"Not at the moment. I advise you to be acquainted with the other members of the squad, before leading them into battle. Should it become necessary however, I'll inform you immediately should it become necessary!"

I looked at him. For a moment, I had the impression that he was giving me good luck.

"Very well, sir!" I finally said.

He smirked, before turning around and walking away, leaving me alone once again. I gulped before looking at the place where I would have my command.

What kind of commander should I be? I instinctively asked myself. Affectionate and just, or hard and inflexible, like Tanya?

I growled in anger at the thought of Tanya. She had abandoned me, without any consideration for me. She was probably somewhere in that endless camp, intent on taking command of her own team.

Well, I thought once again. I can still prove to her that I am better…

I took a breath, and entered the tent.

As soon as I was inside, the first thing I noticed was the interior's rather Spartan decor. To the left lay a long table on which various electronic devices were placed, probably Radar instruments or similar for the detection of magical energies. To the right, just next to another entrance, a small table hosted several maps.

Well, what a dump I ended up in, I thought in frustration.

"Hey!" The voice of a young woman, more like a girl really, echoed from behind me. "Who are you? And what are you doing here?"

I turned instinctively, and my eyes met those of a girl with short blond hair, brown eyes and all dressed up in a sergeant's uniform. I know that she recognized my ranks as well, because I saw her eyes getting bigger and her face twisting into an expression of fear.

"I-I'm sorry sir!" she said saluting me. "I'm Sergeant Hana Lindemann, provisional commander of this unit so far."

I saluted in turn. "Second lieutenant Frederick König. From now on, I will be in charge of this unit. I need to speak with every other soldier under my command."

"Y-yes sir!" she said. "Do you want me to bring them here?"

I smiled. "It would appreciate that, yes…"

She nodded. "Very well, sir!"

It took a few minutes for Hana to return, accompanied by four other soldiers. Of these, one caught my attention: he was a very tall and muscular man, with black hair and yellow eyes. He gave me the impression that he could lift a tank with his bare hands.

I stepped forward, out of the tent, so that the arriving soldiers could see me. As soon as I did that, doubtful expressions formed on their faces, as if they could hardly believe what they saw.

"Attention!" I suddenly shouted at the highest possible volume of voice.

The soldiers stopped. I saw the curiosity on their faces turn into consternation, as the little child in front of their eyes started to speak again.

"My name is Second Lieutenant Frederick König. Some may be aware of who I am, maybe not. In case you do not, let the following speak for itself: I have only three rules in war. One! Everybody fights! Two! Nobody is left behind! Three! Nobody leaves or quits! If you test me, I will squeeze the life out of you with my own bare hands! Is that clear?"

"Sir! Yes, sir" the soldiers shouted in unison.

"Outstanding! You!" I said, looking at the soldier to the right. "State your name and rank!"

"I am the sergeant Tim Klemm, sir!"

I looked him directly in the eyes. I could see his anxiety in his pupils.

"Very well, Klemmie! How long have you been here?"

"Six months, sir!"

"Good. I hope this means that you have some experience, and are not a coward who hides in the trench while the others fight!"

A small, imperceptible grimace made me realize that he had not taken my words too well. I was still his commanding officer however, so he said nothing.

I moved to the right, staring at another soldier. "You! Name and rank!"

"Corporal Augustin Stauffer, sir!"

"And how long have you been here?"

"Two weeks sir!"

"Oh!" I said faking surprise. "So you're a newbie, just arrived? Well, then. It is a good thing that you are here and not on the frontier with Dakia. At least here you'll learn how to be a man!"

I moved forward. Now it was the turn of a dark-haired girl, timid in looks and appearance.

"You!"

"Yes sir!" she exclaimed. "Corporal Christel Heider, ready to serve and die for the Fatherland!"

I glared at her, focusing my attention on her eyes. She was sweating from terror and everybody could see it.

"Stop sweating like that" I said all of a sudden. "You are now a soldier: behave like one!"

"Y-yes sir!" she responded.

I kept moving. Now it was Mister Muscle's turn.

"And you?"

"I'm Sergeant Linus Tragen, sir!" he responded to me.

I looked at him intently, inspecting every square centimeter of his magnificent physique. Perhaps, with a little luck, I could make him a suitable second-in-command for my plans.

The last soldier was Hana. I already knew her name and rank, but I had some others things I wanted to ask her.

"Sergeant Hana!"

"Yes sir?" she squeaked.

"Tell me: what is the current strategic situation?"

"Sir!" she responded after a few seconds of silence. "The Republicans are serious about conquering Blokhem Hill, which dominates the surrounding area. They launch attacks almost every day, in an attempt to break through our defense lines and overwhelm our trenches. Our orders in the last few days were to support the ground defense forces against the attacking enemy and counter any enemy magicians!"

I stopped for a second, thinking about it.

The Republic was not like the Entente: it had greater reserves of men and resources; it had a rich and prosperous colonial empire from which it could draw for additional reinforcements and supplies; but above all, it had at his disposal more people capable of using the power of magic.

"Very well!" I finally said, focusing my mind once again on what was happening around me at that time "sergeant Klemm, corporals Stauffer and Heider, consider yourself dismissed, at least for now. Sergeants Tragen and Lindemann, please follow me: I have to ask you some very important questions"

With that said I turned back on the troops and walked directly into the tent ready to make my first operational brainstorming.

We were back inside the tent, sitting around the portable wooden table. Since I wanted the meeting to be as private as possible, I had all the entrances closed and ordered some soldiers to serve as sentries and not let anyone in (at least, no one below my rank), and for a good reason.

"Sir." asked Hana with a questioning look "Can I ask you why you wanted to speak with us, without any other men of the squad?"

"Of course!" I said, looking at her. "I wanted to discuss some possible strategies to improve the performance of the squad. Before that, however, I want to speak with you about any possible relationships with the soldiers…"

"Sir, I…"

"No." I said, turning my cold expression in a warm smile. "Please, call me Frederick. Use the "sir" only in public or when there are other senior officers. When there are no simple soldiers within earshot, you can simply call me Frederick."

"Okay then, Frederick." she said, looking more reassured. "What do you wanted to discuss with us?"

"I wanted to ask you your opinion about me." I responded. "I mean, I believe they warned you that I would be put in command of this unit. Tell, me did you expected someone like me?"

"Well, not exactly like yourself."

I grinned. "You were expecting someone taller, right?"

"Well, I was not expecting…"

"…a kid?" I anticipated her. "Do you believe I'm not worthy of my rank?"

"Oh, no!" she said, suddenly fearful. "I was not going to say that! It's just…you are so young!"

I smiled, although I took care not to show it to Hana or Tragen. It was nice, in its own way, to see that my "youthful" appearance still managed to mislead others. This way I could play with their emotions in such a way as to appear a charismatic and benevolent leader, able to put the needs of his soldiers above his own.

"Hana," I said looking kindly in her eyes. "I know what you are trying to say. You are afraid because you do not believe this place is suitable for someone like me. I know because that is what many other people before you told me. And every single one of them has changed their mind."

"Sir, I…"

"I know very well that the front line is not the best place for a child. But that's why I decided to enlist: to protect and defend others To keep the threat of the enemy away from their homes and skies. To allow the future men and women of the Empire to be able to grow carefree and fearless, without having to think about the risk of death or the thought of defeat!"

She was now staring at me, her eyes full of surprise. And I knew that I had a chance.

"It may not seem like it, but our fight, our duty, our sacrifice gives the possibility to other sons and daughters of the Empire to live. Every day of struggle for us is a day of serenity for them. And if in the end we should fall..." I said squeezing my fist tight, as if to show that I could not bear that thought. "Well, there will never be another more noble and selfless reason to die!"

Hana looked at me for a few more seconds. Then all of a sudden, she started crying.

"Sir, I am honored to have heard this from you. And I'm even more honored to be under your command now. Before you arrived here, I thought you would be like the other officers, cruel and terrible, one who does not treat his subordinates differently from factory workers. But now..." she said sobbing.

"The new commandant speaks the truth," said Tragen, who was quiet until then. "I myself have two little brothers and a younger sister at home, whom I had to leave to come and fight here. Until today, I thought of my appeal as an injustice, more like a prevarication than a duty. Still, you make a good pint sir. It is true; our struggle keeps the enemy away from our homes and allows our families to live in security rather than fear. I understand."

I nodded "Okay then. I suppose I should punish you for badmouthing a superior officer. How about instead you go and give yourself a hot meal?"

"But, sir!" Hana said, still quite shocked. "You wanted to tell us…some strategies to improve the moral of the squad!"

I smiled. "I believe my strategies can wait a little. Go fill your belly, sergeant. That is an order!"

Hana smiled in turn. "Yes sir!"

She left, and after a several seconds, Tragen left as well, leaving me alone.

Hana and Tragen are now ensnared and their ability to report my possible abuses of power is effectively neutralized, I thought with a wide grin on my face. I have also gained two pairs of eyes and ears that will keep me informed of what is going on. A few more days, and every other soldier of my squad will be more loyal to me than to their own mother. And then…

A few more days, and every other soldier of my squad will be more loyal to me than to their own mother. And then…

Spending years with Tanya surely makes his manipulation skill going up. Not a lot, but still noticeable.

Cannon-wise, Tanya's 203rd is a highly efficient and combative unit, but (or because) it has a brutal training regimen. I'm considering putting 201st (Fred's current unit) into the same, but with style and not brawl. Think an Empire mage capable of sassing five Repulbic mages at the same time and not breaking a sweat. The public would have reasons to support both units, one brave and aggressive, the other polite and have one big stick to back up their claim

You know, by the time they meet. Konig's unit will be the kind where you want to be stationed with no matter what while Tanya's would be the one you're likely to shoot yourself in the leg to avoid.

You know, by the time they meet. Konig's unit will be the kind where you want to be stationed with no matter what while Tanya's would be the one you're likely to shoot yourself in the leg to avoid.

203rd Battalion's mottos:
  • "We are not the Boogey Man, we are the one you send to remove the Boogey Man."
  • "Our work environment is target-rich."
  • "Survival on the battlefield as a member of 203rd is guaranteed. Survival in training is not."
  • "Fuck the 201st."
201st Battalion's mottos:
  • "Just like our Empire, we speak softly and we have a big stick."
  • "Our Boss is always polite, because only God can save you when he is not."
  • "We kick froggie arses for breakfast, gut the bulldog for lunch, and still have time for tea with our wives."
  • "Fuck the 203rd."

I think it would be more like Koning's unit s where you go if you want to be among those that hold the line while Tanya's unit is where you want to go to break the enemy

Well, I'm glad we moved on from the Mc irrational fear of our history expy. That is one of my surprising peeve. Seriously, just because he's born with the same name of a infamous person, doesn't mean he's automatically gonna go evil!

Also, how will 201st will be shaped I wonder...

203rd Battalion's mottos:
  • "We are not the Boogey Man, we are the one you send to remove the Boogey Man."
  • "Our work environment is target-rich."
  • "Survival on the battlefield as a member of 203rd is guaranteed. Survival in training is not."
  • "Fuck the 201st."
201st Battalion's mottos:
  • "Just like our Empire, we speak softly and we have a big stick."
  • "Our Boss is always polite, because only God can save you when he is not."
  • "We kick froggie arses for breakfast, gut the bulldog for lunch, and still have time for tea with our wives."
  • "Fuck the 203rd."

It's amusing to me that only the 201st actually gives praise to their leader while the 203rd gives the impression of survivors in a brutal event, fitting considering their leader.

It's amusing to me that only the 201st actually gives praise to their leader while the 203rd gives the impression of survivors in a brutal event, fitting considering their leader.

Reporter: "Sir/Madam, do you survive the war because of or despite of Major Degauchaff's training?"
Soldier: "Yes."
Reporter: "What do you mean?"
Soldier: <start drinking heavy liquor straight from the barrel>

Reporter: "Sir/Madam, is Major [insert Fred's surname] really that good?"
Soldier: "Yes. The last time someone says he is not, well, he was bitten by a snake."
Reporter: "And?"
Solider: "Five days later, the snake finally died in agony."

Chapter 25: The First Patrol
Chapter 25: The First Patrol

Days went by and my bond with the soldiers under my command grew stronger and stronger. Little by little, with a strategy of kindness and fraternization, the separation between us became thinner and the men were much more open and happy to have me among them.

I will not deny it. At the beginning, it was very difficult to establish a bond of friendship with the whole team. After all, I was still an officer, and compared to them I enjoyed much more privileges and immunity than soldiers and NCOs. I had a bed while they slept on the floor, barely covered by a blanket to protect them from the cold and mud of the trench. I had better food rations, while they had to settle for that cold black soup served only once a day (or at night, to avoid snipers). I could go to the rear to make purchases, while they could not leave the trench except for those rare occasions when they were allowed leave. Worse still, I had an average license level of one every three months, while most of my soldiers were allowed a leave every fifteen months.

They were not overly lavish privileges but on the Rhine Front, where cold, hunger, disease and death were almost daily realities, they appeared almost as noble privileges from the Republic Ancien Regime. I knew, without needing to ask, that many soldiers held their officers in contempt because of these privileges, and for this reason it was almost impossible to create a bridge with their subordinates.

Therefore, a vicious cycle forms: the soldiers hold their officers in contempt without showing it, they despise them; the officers, in order to hold obeisance and respect, were forced to assume firm and rigorous attitudes and impose draconian measures on their subordinates. The soldiers, treated in this manner, learn to hate their officers even more and become more and more riotous, necessitating new draconian measures by the officers. If the process does not stop, if confidence in its officer falls below a certain level, it could even lead to the enlisted men rebelling, deserting or surrendering of their own will to the enemy, without a fight.

It was my intention to reverse the cycle from vicious to beneficial and to establish with my soldiers a relationship of trust sufficiently solid to be able to withstand anything. And to do that, I should play my cards very well…

The first move I made was to meet all the soldiers on my team individually. I had them enter my tent, seated on a chair in facing me and I offered them a glass of alcohol, apologizing for how "my young age prevents me from enjoying such a drink".

Of course, this was a calculated move, and had a very logical purpose: the alcohol, passing through the bloodstream, inhibited the mental guard of those who drank it, and made the drinker less cautious and more relaxed. With his defenses lowered, the soldier or sergeant often let slip valuable information, which I, once he or she had left, carefully noted down.

That was how I discovered Hana's preference for apple pies, Klemm's passion for cigars and smoking, Heider needing a new blanket, Stauffer's desire for a new soap bar. Most of all, Tragen's wish for a new pair of boots, as apparently the one he already had was too small in the left shoe.

The next day, early in the morning (that is, before the usual artillery bombardments started) I went to the military store located in the rear, and I acquired everything I needed. It cost me a lot to get everything, but I hoped that it was worth it.

It was.

They were quite surprised when I returned and announced that they had to go immediately to my tent for an important meeting. In all likelihood they had already figured out my alcohol trick and feared they had said something that could cost them court martial... or worse.

But their fear turned to joy when I revealed why I had been away that morning, and I gave them what they needed. I do not think I will never forget the sparkle of happiness in Hana's eyes when I gave her a packet of frozen apple pie, or the tremendous hug that Tragen gave when he noticed that his new boots fit him perfectly.

"Sir!" said Hana, still unbelieving about what I did "B-but… why?"

"Why?" I repeated, looking at her with glee. "Do I need a reason to help my fellow soldiers and comrades in arms?"

"But…sir!" she kept sputtering, looking at the cake she was now holding into her hands. "You ... you didn't have to…"

"If you like hunger and dust so much, you can always renounce and give it back to me. I'm sure I can enjoy…"

"No, no! It is just… we never had an officer being this kind to us."

Quickly, I put a hand over on her shoulder, as if to show empathy.

"Maybe it was the first time, but it won't be the last."

"Excuse me? I am looking for the commanding officer of the Second Platoon of the Imperial Mage Battalion. Is he here?"

I jerked away from Hana, looked in the direction of the voice and saw that it was a soldier with reddish hat, whose mud-stained uniform betrayed a long long at the front line.

"I am…" he repeated. "I am looking for the Second Lieutenant Frederick König. Is he here?"

"I am." I answered. "What is it about?"

The soldier, after freezing for a few seconds to realize that a) I was the officer he was looking for and b) yes, I was a kid, took out an envelope and handed it to me.

"First Lieutenant Schoenauer sent this for you. He said it was very important".

I took the package, opened it and started to read the letter it contained. While I was busy reading, the soldier took advantage of the situation to disappear.

"Sir?" asked Tragen, "If I may ask, what is it?"

I did not answer, not immediately at least. I reread the text three times, to make sure I did not misread. Despite my doubts, I had read it right the first time.

"These are our first deployment orders." I announced, looking at my soldiers around me. "We are to go out on a patrol mission. Tonight."

Based on the message I received, it was thought possible that the Republicans intended to take advantage of the darkness of the night. They intended to send forward teams of sappers to open gaps in our barbed wire, so that on their next attack their troops would find nothing to hinder their advance.

Command wanted our platoon to carry out reconnaissance missions in the area between the former villages of Apelberg and Großweg (currently evacuated by the inhabitants, in ruins and used as hiding places for snipers and irregular fighters on both sides) and keep an eye on the enemy's nocturnal activity. The secondary objective of the mission was to perform long-range reconnaissance on enemy lines, to discover any weak points in their defensive system and favor possible attacks by our army.

However, we were only allowed to engage the enemy in case they attacked us first, and we had no other chance of surviving without fighting. If it were possible, and on this the orders were categorical, we had to fall back on our lines and allow our artillery to fend off the enemy. It made sense in a way. We were still magicians: Elite troops, very rare, and command did not want to risk sacrificing us on a minor mission.

The fact that it was such a minor task, however, did not leave us reassured in the slightest. My soldiers and I spent the rest of the day preparing ourselves, psychologically and physically, for the mission. We did so in silence. Apparently, no one had anything to say.

The hours dragged on slowly but in the end, the sun went down and the cannons, which had thundered on both sides of the two sides, finally fell silent. The normal troops, which we had fought all day, prepared for their rest. The only forces who remained alert were the sentries, to detect possible enemy night attacks, and the Special Forces that were supposed to act during night. We fell into the latter camp.

We were ready. Ready for anything and armed to the teeth.

At 11:55 pm (I made sure to check the time) we took off and headed East-Northeast to our patrol area. I was at the head of the group, keeping an eye on the situation with military binoculars adapted to work at night. Behind me came Tragen and Hana, rifles ready in case something went wrong. Every single one of us was on edge and our senses were on high alert, searching for the smallest sign that could betray the presence of the enemy.

We proceeded. Below us were the trenches, within which our fellow infantry lived and died. Then suddenly the scenery changed and we found ourselves in No Man's Land.

"Ok soldiers!" I said in my headphones. "We have entered No Man's Land. Try to keep the silence as much as possible. We do not know how many forces the enemy has. We could find ourselves an entire enemy magic battalion a few meters from us. So let's try not to let us hear as much as we can ..."

Various nods from the members of my squad confirmed that every one of them had received my orders.

Therefore, we went on. For the time we spent flying, I kept my eyes on the binoculars and watched the area below and around us. I saw semi-destroyed or exploded guns and cannons, real relics of the great offensives of the previous days. I saw enormous barbed wire extensions. I saw trees blackened by battle and without flora, as if to symbolize the defeat of life itself. But above all, I saw dozens, perhaps hundreds of dead or dying soldiers, bodies torn apart by wounds, in some cases without a limb and mouths that emitting gloomy moans of pain. I was tempted to intervene, to dive and collect the wounded (at least, those who were better off) and take them with me to our lines so that they could receive medical care.

I didn't. Command had given me precise orders, and I could not defy them just because my heart could not stand the sight of the suffering of others. Had I done so, I would probably have failed the mission and won a one-way trip to court martial and the firing squad.

There was another way to help the injured without going to their rescue: shooting them.

It may seem absurd, to kill a person so as not to make her suffer, but sometimes the way of dying has a faculty of its own to make us think. To die in the mud from infection or bleeding, in a slow and painful way, was one of the worst ways to pass.

Therefore, and this was a "favored" frontline tactic, when a wounded man was too far gone to be saved, the unofficial procedure was a dramatic euthanasia by means of a lead bullet.

I could not do it, though. Not only because I personally found it monstrous (something more worthy of Tanya than me), but also because it was an extremely unpopular practice among soldiers, one that only the most rigid and hardline commanders implemented. If I had even hinted at doing such a thing, I would probably have destroyed the emotional bond I had established with them, and that it had cost me too much to be able to destroy like that, on a whim.

Therefore, I turned my attention elsewhere, leaving the wounded and the dying to their fate.

We proceeded with our mission, flying above the barbed wire fields that our command had ordered us to check. The first three were a total negative: the barbed wire was damaged, more from the bombardments than the activity of Republican soldiers. Therefore, we limited ourselves to reporting the damage that should be repaired and continued with our mission.

The nerves of the team, initially tense, began to relax; so much that some of us began to chat, no longer paying attention to what was happening beneath us.

A mistake that could have been fatal if not for luck.

"You know what?" said Tragen behind me. "In my opinion we are wasting our time: it's clear that the Republicans are not capable of an offensive in the middle of the night. They don't have the guts to do it!"

"Tragen." I responded. "Just because you do not see them does not mean that..."

"Sir, sir!" said Heider all of sudden, looking through her binocular. "Spotted enemy activity. 10 o'clock, about half a kilometer from us!"

Immediately I looked in turn in the direction she had reported. At first I saw nothing strange but on closer inspection I realized something was not right. I was seeing something moving, something…

I barely restrained a snarl of anger at seeing at least three teams of Republican sappers who, under the cover of night, were trying to break through our barbed wire.

"Apparently, the Republicans are really desperate if they believe that night operations will help their cause." I murmured.

It was not even necessary to give an order. Within moments my soldiers had their guns in their arms, aimed the area I was looking at.

"Soldiers! Artillery spells, maximum dispersion. Leave no survivors!"

"Yes sir!"

"Fire on my mark!"

I focused my attention on the sappers. I wanted to enjoy the moment of their deaths.

"All units ready to fire, sir!" Tragen announced.

"Fire!"

Gunshots went off behind me, bullets whizzing past me. I had the opportunity to see the enemy soldiers caught by surprise, right before the explosions caused by my men massacred them.

"Fire!" I ordered again.

Another set of explosion hit the enemy, killing more of them. The few survivors, unable to stand while they comrades died, gave up and ran away, back to their trenches.

"Very well!" I said grinning, still looking through my binoculars. "Sergeant Hana, make contact with…"

And then, all of sudden, an enemy bullet impacted the glass.

So, does Fred have another orb in addition to the Type-95? Because if not things are about to get interesting.

they had to settle for that cold black soup served only once a day (or at night, to avoid snipers).
His underlings are aerial mages, not some random riflemen. Canonically aerial mages got much better rations than anyone else simply because casting magic uses up a lot of calories. Underfed mages are useless mages.

So, does Fred have another orb in addition to the Type-95? Because if not things are about to get interesting.

His underlings are aerial mages, not some random riflemen. Canonically aerial mages got much better rations than anyone else simply because casting magic uses up a lot of calories. Underfed mages are useless mages.

I don't think it hit his orb, i think it hit his binocular... right when he has his eyes sticking to it, welp, new shiny eyepatch incoming.

I don't think it hit his orb, i think it hit his binocular... right when he has his eyes sticking to it, welp, new shiny eyepatch incoming.
I didn't mean to imply that the bullet hit his orb. This isn't based on the anime, so the calculation orb doesn't even have glass in it.

What I meant is that if he doesn't have another orb, he's about to go full throttle with the Type-95 and bring literal divine judgement on this sniper and anyone near them.

I'm assuming that his binoculars simply extended outside his shield, which allowed them to be hit, but that the bullet (or the glass shards) didn't actually penetrate. Otherwise the next chapter would be an epilogue.

Chapter 26: We have passed
Chapter 26: We have passed

"What the hell?!" I screamed while the half-destroyed fragments of the binoculars fell towards the ground.

I looked around nervously, focusing on my shield and trying to track the shot to its origin. The other members of the squad did the same, quickly bringing their guns to bear.

Where did the shot come from? Perhaps it was a ground-based sniper? A miserable little fighter with a sniper rifle and subpar aim? Or maybe one of the sappers had a lucky shot?

My hopes that it could be normal ground troops went out as soon as I heard Hana's voice scream.

"Enemy mages detected. They are at least a platoon strong. Inbound west!"

"Dammit!" I yelled. "Sergeant Hana: Contact Headquarters and tell them to send reinforcements now!"

"Yes, sir!"

"All others: defensive formation. Maximum energy to your magic shields and if you see those bastards, shoot them!"

"Yessir!" my men roared in unison.

Quickly, I took my rifle in my hands and turned west, in the direction of the incoming enemy.

At first I saw nothing. Only the darkness of the night. Without the night vision binoculars, I had no other means of distinguishing enemies other than my eyes, and this would put me at a serious disadvantage.

Then I saw a light shine several kilometers away, towards a dark cloud. I took aim and fired.

I know I managed to hit it, because I saw a dark shape come out of the cloud and fall towards the ground at great speed. Even if by hypothesis the enemy had still been breathing, the impact with the ground would not leave him alive.

Around me, my men were also actively responding to enemy fire. Each of them was holding up the gun and firing at the enemy.

"This is Operational Command Center Sector 8T." suddenly I heard a voice in my earpiece. "What is your situation?"

"This is Second Lieutenant Frederick König: Our unit is under heavy attack by an enemy mage platoon. I request immediate reinforcements and permission to withdraw!"

"Roger. Try to hold on as long as possible. Reinforcements are on the way!"

"How long for reinforcements to arrive?"

"150 seconds"

150 seconds. Two and a half minutes. We could do it.

"Roger, we'll try to kill as many of them as we can! König, out!"

"Command center, out!"

The voice died down and I found myself again in the midst of combat. The sky all around me was a continuous succession of shouts, curses, explosions and gunshots. My men were holding position, albeit with difficulty. It was certain that if the reinforcements did not arrive early, the enemies would overwhelm us.

I was reminded of my first experience of war, when I had helped Tanya destroy a hostile attack force in the skies of Norden, the action that had earned her and me our Silver Wings. At that time we were able to survive by exploiting our speed and agility, while the enemy, although they too were capable of flying, had limited themselves to acting two-dimensionally.

And then, here's the idea: why not do the same here and now?

"Hana!" I yelled, trying to find her.

"Yes sir, what's happening?"

"Take command! I have an idea that I want to put into practice!"

"Yes sir!" she said, focusing once again on the battle.

I took advantage of the fact that we were fighting at night, that visibility was very limited. I flew up, passing through a large cloud. It took a few seconds, but I finally came out of the cloud and I saw with satisfaction that the enemy was clearly visible from above.

I barely held back a grin of satisfaction. Republican magicians were as powerful and fast as the Imperial ones, but they were certainly too confident.

Why should they look up? I was going to give them a reason.

I waved my hand in front of me, calling up a large magic viewfinder.

"Spatial coordinates identified! Calculating stochastic evasion routes for all targets. Magical energy chambered… ready to deploy."

I raised my rifle, pointing right into the direction of the enemy platoon.

"Attention!" I yelled in the earpiece "Allied units in the area: prepare yourselves for a large impact!"

"Sir?" Tragen's voice appareled alarmed. "What are you…"

I let the magic energy flow back through my body, giving power to my bullet. And I prayed.

"Our Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom."

Below me, enemy magicians continued to attack my team, trying in every way to break their defense. Thanks to my increased vision, I could almost see the drops of sweat on their foreheads.

"He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;"
My gun began glowing with its own light.

"but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength"
I carefully took aim. I did not want any of my subordinates, despite having issued a warning, to risk being involved in the explosion.

"They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint!"
One moment and then I pulled the trigger. The bullet, full of energy much more powerful than magic, flew rapidly towards my enemies. Then, it divided itself.

The Republican magicians, who until moments before were attacking with such courage and bravado, found themselves being targeted by a dozen or so fragments of bullets, which acted and flew at the same speed as guided missiles.

There were explosions, there were screams and then only silence remained. The few surviving Republican wizards retreated in disarray, whilst the bodies of their unfortunate companions fell to their deaths, if they were not already lifeless by then.

"Mein Gott!" I heard Klemm's voice through my earpiece. "Did you see that?"

"Sir?" this time was Tragen. "That…that was you?"

"To all air allied units: enemy mages repelled. Regroup and take stock of the situation."

I descended rapidly to the same height as my subordinates. Staying still in midair was still risky, but with the enemy's magical forces broken or destroyed, I thought it could be an affordable risk.

"Lieutenant!" said Tragen suddenly appearing at my right. "Did you cause... that?"

"That depends." I said, feigning ignorance. "What are you referring to?"

"T-the explosion! The enemy mages being killed off! You did that?"

I conceded myself a smug smile. "Of course."

"But…but how… how did you manage to…"

"I am a very special boy." I stated matter-of-factly. "Now, where are the others? We have to go back to our base before…"

Almost like in response to my words, Hana appeared in turn, quickly followed by Klemm and Stauffer.

Where is Heider? I tough realizing that only four of the five members of my squad were present.

"Sir!" Hana said saluting me. "The 202st Magic Company is coming. The Operational Command Center ordered us to withdraw and report!"

I nodded. "Where is Corporal Christel Heider?"

The soldiers looked at each other with a very nervous look. It was clear that they knew something that I did not knew.

"Where is Corporal Christel Heider?" I repeated myself "Did the young lady not be able to withstand the tension and had a panic attack?"

"Sir?" Sergeant Hana said, looking at me. "Corporal Christel Heider was shot during the battle and fell to the ground. We believe she is dead."

My mind spun. "What!?"

"An enemy mage shot her in the shoulder, a few seconds after you left. We think…"

But I was no more there.

Where is she? Where is she? WHERE. IS. SHE? My mind was racing while I flew over no man's land, trying to locate my unlucky subordinate. Because of the difficulty in distinguishing a single wounded soldier among the millions of dead or dying who populated this stretch of land, I was making maximum use of the Enchanced Vision that my magical powers provided to me.

I could not lose one of my soldier on my first day of service. Not like that.

Once again, I focused my vision, trying to locate any traces of recent magical energy. I knew that if I continued to use my stock of magical energy so wastefully, I would risk draining myself, but I did not care.

I needed to save her.

"Lieutenant? Lieutenant!" once again I heard Hana's voice in my earpiece. "We have been ordered to withdraw immediately!"

I ignored her for the umpteenth time, focusing only on my goal. I knew I was risking a lot, but at the moment I didn't care much.

But where….

I stopped abruptly, while my vision showed me an area of the battlefield where there had recently been a dispersion of magical energy.

Found her!

I immediately descened and headed towards the position of my unfortunate soldier.

Swooping down on the battlefield without even checking to see if there were enemy patrols in the area before was a big risk, but if I had not acted the situation for Christel would have gotten worse.

In a world dominated by nationalism and xenophobia towards the inhabitants of other nations, being captured as a prisoner was a terrible thing. No one could know for sure what would happen to you once you fell into the hands of the enemy. Torture and worse weren't out of the question. Even worse, I could not allow a female soldier to fall into the hands of the enemy.

"Corporal Christel Heider!" I said, looking around in the ruins. "Where are you?"

Immediate, I heard a groan of pain coming from a few meters in front of me.

She was there. With a showy hole in her shoulder, so wide that you could almost see it from side to side, and in a pool of blood that I deduced must have been her. Grievously wounded, but alive.

"Corporal!" I exclaimed, taking her wrist by the hand to feel the beat. "How do you feel?"

"L-lieutenant" she said, her voice almost imperceptible. "You… you came… for…"

"Yeah! I came for you. Now, hold on to me. We have to get out of here right away, before…"

"Stop!" exclaimed a very Francois-sounding voice from my back. "Raise your hands and surrender!"

Instinctively, I turned around. In front of me was a man with massive, black handlebar mustache, dressed in a uniform of the Republican Army. He was holding the gun, pointing it directly at me.

"Well, well, well, what have we here?" I said, amused by the man's mustache. "A sad, lone Republican soldier, who believes fate has given to him the chance to be a hero?"

"S-stop!" he repeated. "I am Sergeant Alfred Barthélemy and you, mister mage, are now a prisoner of the Republican Army!"

"Au contraire!" I said, trying to move without him realizing it. "It is you, mister Bartholemy, who are now a prison of the Imperial Army. I will tell you; if you would kindly put down your weapon and raise your hands, I'll take you to Lieutenant Schoenauer and I'll try my best to save you from a long and painful death by the hand of our Interrogation squads."

The Republican soldier twitched. It was clear she was very nervous due to my words. So, I kept up.

"That said, Lieutenant Schoenauer is a mite twitchy, so no promises."

It was a very paradoxal situation: the young kid officer, with absolutely no means to save himself or his wounded soldier, asking the Francois soldier with the gun pointed to his head to surrender, against all odds. had I been alone, I would have believed I myself crazy.

Luckily, I was not alone.

"Y-you little bastard!" said the French soldier, edging closer. "I'll bring you personally to my superior officer. Maybe he will give you the spanking you deserve!"

"Once again, Au contraire!"

Before he could open his mouth again, move closer to hit me physically or pull the trigger on his rifle, something flew just above my head. I knew it was not meant for me and even if it was, my shield would automatically protect me.

Instead, the bullet flew right through the Frenchman's eyes, killing him instantly.

"Sir!" said Tragen, landing a few meters from me, smoking gun in hand. "Thank God you are alive! That man could have killed you!"

"Do not worry, Tragen. I had everything under control."

That was the biggest lie I ever said up until that moment. I was a mage, that much is true, and I had my shield but if that soldier had gotten in a lucky shot or called for reinforcements I could have died. I could have seriously died.

Still, it was better for my subordinated and I that I showed nothing but reassurance.

"Thanks anyway for your help."

Tragen, seeing me smiling, smiled in turn before his attention got drawn away by Corporal Heider.

"Christel! You are alive?" he said, his voice a mix of joy and amazement.

"Yes" I said, looking carefully around us. In the distance, I could still hear the sound of cannons and machine guns "However, I believe we should go now, before the other Republicans will find out what happened to their sergeant…"

It took several minutes, but in the end we managed to get back to the field without running into further trouble. Upon our arrival, I found what remained of my team, led by Hana.

"Sir, sir!" she said in a very frightened tone rushing toward me. "Are you okay?

"I am fine. However, I believe Corporal Heider here needs immediate medical care."

Hana rolled her eyes, seeing her wounded companion, now supported by the muscular Tragen.

"You-you went back to retrieve her?" she said, in disbelief of what she was seeing right now.

"Yes." I responded to her laconically.

"But sir…" this time was sergeant Klemm to speak. "Why did you do it? You risked too much!"

I stopped all of sudden, before glaring at him as he had pissed me off. I knew he got it, because his face turned very pale.

"No risk is too much, compared to the loss of one of my soldiers. You are soldiers under my command, and under my command, the rule is: nobody is left behind!"

"But sir…"

"Do you understand me soldier?" I said glaring again at him.

"Y-yes sir!"

"Very well, then. Now, where are the goddamn…"

A couple of normal foot soldiers, bearing white circles and red crosses on their unifrms to indicate their belonging to the medical body, approached in a great hurry, carrying a stretcher.

"Finally. Over here!"

The two paramedics quickly took the Corporal Heider, loaded her on the stretcher and hurried away, hopefully to bring her to the nearest field hospital.

"Sir, what do you think? Will she be okay?" asked Hana, coming nearer.

"I do not know: she lost much blood and if the wound got infected, she could still die. But I'm sure that…"

"Second Lieutenant Frederick Konig!" a voice I knew very well screamed from behind me.

I turned around, saluting as I saw my superior, Lieutenant Schoenauer. He looked like he was in a foul mood.

"Sir?" I said, feeling very nervous.

"My tent. Now!"

Last edited:
It was a very paradoxal situation: the young kid officer, with absolutely no means to save himself or his wounded soldier, asking the Francois soldier with the gun pointed to his head to surrender, against all odds. had I been alone, I would have believed I myself crazy.
This makes absolutely no sense. A single rifleman is no threat to a mage as only concentrated rifle fire can pierce a shield. Really, it's the lone enemy soldier who has no way of defending himself.

Hmmm... So we have a (relatively) capable (female) Sergeant as our 2IC, and we just risk it all to save another (female) Corporal. I'm a bit miffed at the part where you kill the Francois soldier. You know, we should have him to actually surrender, it builds up character better. Especially if that dude is a (relatively) sane Francois - a field grade (Major to Colonel) or a high company grade (Senior Lt. or Captain) officer wearing an uniform of normal enlist to avoid sniper's fire.

"So, how is your first day at work?"
"Nothing much, I got ambushed in the darkness of the night, the enemy had the advantage of range, number, and probably skills... I almost have the chance to buy my favorite eyepatch. Bloody Francois..."
"How..."
"Oh, and when I was rescuing one of my downed girls, I was able to convince a Francois officer to surrender. Apparantly, I was too cute to say no to."

Oh, and about the two female soldiers... I should cut down on my hentai reading, because the first thing appearing in my head is "Ara Ara~". They would be (probably) too impressed with Fred that they would become real yandere to protect him, on and off the battlefield. Now, two yandere onee-san vs Tanya, that is something that I'd open a bet pool on.

Chapter 27: Reports and Old Friends
Chapter 27: Reports and Old Friends

"Sir!" Hana saluted me once I finally left Schoenauer's tent. "Are you okay? What happened?"

I looked at her. Part of me wanted to scream at her, to vent my frustrations. I did not, however. Mostly because I knew she was not at fault.

"Apparently, disobeying a retreat order and going solo on a search and rescue mission is "omission of official duties" for an officer." I responded to her.

"Oh no." she put her hands over her mouth, trying to hide her fearful expression. "Does this mean that you will be dishonorably discharged?"

"Not yet" I said with a half smirk. "Fortunately, First Lieutenant Schoenauer understood the reasoning for my actions, and decided that the most serious thing I could be accused of was an excess of attachment to my subordinates. Therefore, I merely received a lecture about the importance of my duties as an officer over the wellbeing of a single soldier."

Well, that is partially the truth, I thought as I looked at Hana, hoping she believed my lie. Thankfully, she did.

"Oh." she said with a relieved expression. "Thank God for his mercy!"

I loved her and hated her in the very same breath. "Yep, thank God for his blessing."

"Sir, sir!" suddenly Tragen appeared, rushing towards me. "Did Shoeunaur sentence you to the firing squad?"

"Not yet, thankfully." I faced myself towards him. "Just to know, Sergeant…"

"Yes, sir?"

"How is our wounded? Is she OK?"

"Thank God, yes. The medic said that she is still alive, and although her injuries are quite serious, there's a good chance she will survive."

I smiled. Here is one thing I will have to write in my next report: my disobedience caused a soldier of my squad, a mage, a precious resource we cannot afford to lose, to survive.

"Just so you can know it" I said, trying to look remorseful "Captain Schoenauer said that, before to decide if I need further corrective measures, will want to talk to you personally, to know your point of view on the operation just ended…"

"Do not worry about that, sir!" said Tragen with a very determined expression "Tragen will testify on your behalf. I will tell the Lieutenant why you did what you had to do, and why you do not deserve to be punished for this!"

"So will I!" said Hana, assuming an anger tone. "You risked your life to save a soldier, after you already destroyed an enemy mage company! You do not deserve a lecture, you deserve a medal!"

Here is an advantage in treating well your public relations, I smiled internally, if you help your men, they will help you.

"Really?" I said, trying to appear stuporous. "Are you ready to do this? For me?"

"Yes sir!" Hana responded. "I admit to having misjudged you at the beginning. I had heard rumors about an officer who was but a child, but behaved as a demon and I had expected that after I saw you for the first time. But now... I do not think there are enough words to describe how much we are proud to call you our leading officer!"

"Well..." I responded, apparently overwhelmed by such words. "I suppose that one who told you that was referring to Tanya. Still, I…"

"Tanya?" asked Tragen with a dubious look. "Who is Tanya?"

I stopped for a second, cursing myself for that slip-up. I had just mentioned Tanya to my fellow soldiers without first having settled the ground. If any of them had heard the wrong story from the wrong mouth, it could compromise everything I had built.

Denying everything or changing the subject would only make things worse. The only possible solution was to take it out myself, to cover my back and try to present an official truth in my favor.

"Her complete name is Tanya Degurechaff. She is an, ahem, old friend of mine. We enrolled together in the army, and up until a few days ago, we used to be assigned to almost the same posting. I believe she is now here on the Rhine Front too, assigned to a different unit."

"Wait. Is she a mage too?"

"Yep!"

"And she… has the same age as you?"

"Yes. Like I said, we joined the army in the same occasion."

Tragen and Hana looked at each other for a few more seconds.

"B-but that means… you were… at Norden…"

"Yes. We were the young child soldiers who fought against an entire enemy mage company when they tried to attack us."

Tragen's eyes widened. Hana did too.

"Hey?" I said, galling over them. "Is there something wrong?

Then, all of sudden, they started to smirk.

"What are you… oh no!" I started, suddenly angered. "Don't you dare!"

A few hours later, I was alone in my tent. I was leaning over a table lit by the dim light of my oil lamp and I was intent on writing my mission report for headquarters.

Writing a report was not a particularly difficult task in terms of mental engagement. In theory, you had to transcribe, in the most detailed but at the same time clear way possible, what had happened during a given mission from your point of view, trying not to overlook the slightest detail.

The real difficulty, however, lay in the realization of the above. In fact, the reports had to be completed in triplicate by hand (because the few typewriters available on the front line were reserved for higher-level officers), usually on uncomfortable and easy-to-disturb portable tables, deprived of any light except that of the lamps (which, being oil-based, could drip and ruin the report before it was finished) and force the writer to constantly strain his sight in an attempt to see what he wrote.

Woe then if an officer, while writing his own report, had made a grammatical or content error: Headquarters did not admit the slightest imperfection in the sacred document. Therefore, every time an officer noticed that he had made a mistake in drafting a report, he often had to tear it up and rewrite a new one from scratch, with great expenditure of paper, ink, patience and time.

Dammit! I cursed as I realized that once again I've misspelled. Ten more minutes of my life, down the drain!

As you can imagine, I was not very good at writing completely error-free text. In my previous life, before my encounter with the man who would later become Tanya and with… Being X, I grew up writing on computers with programs and applications that allowed me to go back and shift or fix in the event of an error. But now, I had to learn to live in a world where the technology as I knew it wasn't much, where computers would arrive long after my death (assuming they would appear at all) and where my mistakes could not be erased by simply pressing a button.

Until this moment I had been relatively lucky, since I had usually had Tanya, who unlike me never made mistakes (at least, on papers). But now? Now I could only count on myself.

I took a new sheet and started writing again. To avoid making mistakes caused by distractions or anything else, I tried to concentrate as much as possible on the sheet, trying to isolate myself from the world around me.

"Ah!" I suddenly said as another fit of pain arose from my aching eye.

Immediately, I put my hand on the black bandage that the doctor had handed me to cover it.

Yes, you heard that correctly. Remember when I was watching enemy spoilers before a Republican magician shot destroyed my supplied binoculars? Apparently, the impact caused by the bullet had injured my eye, which only by a miracle (or something else?) had not come to permanent harm. In the clash, and the subsequent frenzy to recover the wounded corporal Heider, I had not noticed. I had discovered it whilst trying to get away from Hana and Tragen, I had decided to visit our wounded and one of the doctors noticed my eye.

And here I was: with a bandaged eye that made me look like a pirate, under strict orders not to remove it for at least three days so as not to strain the eye too much.

It was rather annoying, but the doctor had told me that if I tried too hard, I would seriously risk losing it. I did not like the idea of playing pirate for the rest of my life. Especially since in my old life, I preferred the ninjas.

Fortunately, Tanya is not here to see me. I thought. If there were, she would not stop teasing me about my situation...

For a moment I tried to imagine where she could be along that boundless war front, and how she was doing. Had they entrusted her with a team, as they had with me? If this were the case, I could not help but feel pity for the soldiers who were now under her command.

Something like this would have surely distinguished my status of being an officer from Tanya: I tried to keep my soldiers on my side, to be "sub partes" and I tried to do everything in my power to take care of my public relations. To Tanya, however, it never really mattered what others thought of her.

There was only one thing for her: winning.

Suddenly, a hand slid in under the cloth of the tent, opening it enough for a soldier to enter and salute me.

"Second Lieteunant Frederick Konig?" he announced, a nameless face among the millions of commonplace infantry soldiers of the Empire.

"I'm busy writing reports, what's going on?" I asked, a little stiffened from my work being so rudely interrupted.

"I'm sorry to have to distract you sir, but I have an important message from First Lieutenant Schoenauer: he wants you to join him right away!"

An alarm bell rang in my mind. Why did Schoenauer want to see me so shortly after our previous meeting?

"Tell Schoenauer that I am currently busy writing the report to headquarters. I'll come once it is finished!"

I was hoping with the excuse of ending this endless work, I could gain some time to think over the reasons to this sudden meeting. Unfortunately, I was not so lucky.

"I'm sorry but I have to insist Second Lieutenant. Schoenauer said that this is not a simple request. It's an order!"

I gritted my teeth in anger as I realized I had no way out. I could not disobey the direct order of one of my superiors, at least not so soon after my most recent chewing out.

"Very well!" I said, getting up and putting the incomplete report in a safe place. "I'm coming"

The journey from my tent to Schoenauer's encampment was brief. Ten minutes on foot, less if you were running instead of walking. For me, that trip seemed almost endless.

For the whole duration of the journey, I kept wondering why Schoenauer wanted to see me now. Though I did not know his intentions, I knew it could not be good.

Had Schoenauer changed his mind and decided to punish me further? If that was the case, I had to be ready for anything: Schoenauer was not an exemplar of righteousness, but he was my superior nonetheless. A word from him, even a gesture and the simplest order had absolute power over me. He could give me a medal as well as a punishment, he could promote me as he could degrade me, and he could help my career the same degree as his ability to destroy it.

What further punishment could he give me? I thought nervously, Maybe he wants to give me a few hours of mess? Alternatively, does he want to lecture me in front of my soldiers? That would be quite humiliating...

I continued walking. As I proceeded along the camp, I saw many other soldiers greeting me when they realized that I was an officer.

Is it possible that he wants to degrade me? No, it is not possible: I disobeyed orders, that much is true, but I did it only to save the life of my subordinate. Furthermore, technically I have not done anything that goes against military regulation. He cannot degrade me for having performed an act of goodness!

Can he?

"Here we are, sir." said the soldier pointing to the tent in front of me. "First Lieutenant Schoenauer will meet you immediately!"

"Thank you." I said, trying to hide my fears. "By the way, soldier, I have a question."

"Sure, what is it?"

"I wanted to ask you: do you maybe happen to know the reason why First Lieutenant Schoenauer wants to meet me. Did something happen before he called for me?"

"Well, not much sir." he said. "I just know that he is not alone: apparently, someone very important came here to talk with him…"

Someone very important? I thought with puzzlement. Who it could be?

"Danke schön!" I responded.

The soldier smiled, before returning to his duties… and left me to my fate.

I looked at the tent. It was not intimidating, but for me at that moment, it looked like a lion's cave. I knew that once I got inside I would have no way out. Yet I couldn't refuse to enter.

I sighed and went forward.

As soon as I was inside, I noticed what was happening. Sitting on a folding wooden chair, First lieutenant Schoenauer was looking toward me, and next to him sat someone I did not recognized at first.

"Lieutenant, I am here!" I said, saluting. "Why did you wanted to see me?"

Schoenauer smiled. At the same time, the other man turned to face me.

That is when I recognized him.

"You're really growing aren't you, Frederick?"

"He-Herr Gegenbauer?"

"You're really growing aren't you, Frederick?"

"He-Herr Gegenbauer?"

The old man from before, correct? The one whose son and daughter-in-law want to adopt Fred.

Now, what kind of developments can we expect? Best case scenario, the dude would find himself in a diplomat delegation - Because, you know, speak softly and carry a big stick. Now, being a military brat, we can expect some mayhem down on the road. Probably Fred sucker punches a few foreign diplomats for some stupid shit (like insulting the Empire, for example). The others would be most displeased, until Fred mentions Tanya.

"No, good sirs, I'm the diplomatic option. My friend would be the one the Empire sends when they have no fuck for subtlity and peaceful solution."
"A girl? What can she probably do?"
"She would burn your car, eat your dog, bitch slap your wife, kick your son in the groin, tear apart your daughter's dress, and she may or may not find the photo of you cuddling with your mistress. Assuming that she does not find your spy ring in the city first... I might add that if she does, there would be no standing city left when she is done. Now, am I a sufficient diplomatic option for you?"

Just found this story and god damn i think I'm in love cant wait for the next one wonder how tanya and fred unit's will react to each other lol

Just found this story and god damn i think I'm in love cant wait for the next one wonder how tanya and fred unit's will react to each other lol
You get sent to Tanya, you'll learn not to fear the Devil, for you are within her grasp now.
You get sent to Frederick's unit, you'll learn not to yearn for Heaven, for you will surely be carried to Valhalla.

Last edited:
You get sent to Tanya, you'll learn not to fear the Devil, for you are within her grasp now.
You get sent to Frederick's unit, you'll learn not to yearn for Heaven, for you will surely be carried to Valhalla.

"God will forgive all of your sins, and it is Konig's job to arrange the meeting. And if you are late for detention with Satan, he will send Degauchaff to pick you up."

Chapter 28: Discussing the future before dying
Chapter 28: Discussing the future before dying

"I believe the time for a private conversation between two people has come." said Mr. Gegenbauer, looking at his watch. "First Lieutenant Schoenauer, would you be kind enough to leave me and your young non-commissioned officer alone?"

"N-no problem" Schoenauer responded, standing up and looking at Mr. Gegenbauer the same way I would usually do with him. "I'll go for a walk."

"Sir, you…"

"Do not worry, second Lieutenant" Schoenauer responded passing next to me. "Mr. Gegenbauer here will be able to give you all the necessary explanations."

"But, sir: I do not want to talk with him!" I said, trying to keep the tone of my voice low.

"Afraid you have no choice in this, soldier: Mr. Gegenbauer is a very influential man, as I was able to discover personally, and has many highly placed friends. I have personal orders to leave you alone with him for a period not less than an hour, so that you and he can discuss your ... personal affairs."…

"But I have no personal affairs to discuss, neither with you nor with him! Moreover, I still have a combat report to finish writing!"

"Second Lieutenant Frederick Konig, like I've already said, I do not believe you have a choice in the matter. Stay here with Mr. Gegenbauer and answer all his questions. Your report can wait."

"Is this an order?" I asked, still half-shocked about this.

He looked at me for a tense moment. "Yes, it is" Then, he went outside of the tent, leaving me alone.

Or better, alone with someone I did not want to share a tent with, even for a few minutes.

I suppressed a growl of frustration as I tried to look as impassive as possible. I sincerely hope that Being X isn't involved in this.

"So, Frederick, what's with this coldness?" said Mr. Gegenbauer looking at me "Come on, get here to hug your grandfather!"

I gazed at him with a look of pure hatred. Was this the way he saw his (possible) relatives? Like toys that could you put aside and ignore when you did not want to play with them?

Still, I did not know what he was fully capable of. From what I had seen in the few minutes of this encounter, he had enough personal power (prestige? wealth? or both?) to have front-line access, a place where civilians are all but verboten. Moreover, he had enough influence over the high generals to be able to give orders to Schoenauer, treating him almost to the same world in which Tanya or I would have treated a poor foot soldier.

It was clear that the only reason he had not used this power on me was that he saw me with as sympathetic. However, what would have happened if I had made him angry?

I approached him, stopping right behind the chair from which Schoenauer had rested shortly before. At a safe distance.

"Well?" he said, looking at me with an amused look. "Are you going to remain standing? Sit down as well." he pointed to Schoenauer's empty chair.

"That is First Lieutenant Schoenauer chair. I cannot use it. Were I to do that, it would be a serious violation of official duties, and although it is not a sufficient crime for court martial, I could receive severe punishment."

The old man smiled. "Always smart as a fox... and stubborn as a mule. Ever unable to break the rules, even when the opportunity presents itself. You remind me of myself."

"What do you want?" I half asked, half demanded while looking him directly in the eyes. "The last time I saw you, you disappeared. I thought you decided to leave forever. What brings you back to my tracks?"

"I've never lost sight of you," he said with a malicious grin. "Since the day we met in that hospital, I always kept an eye on you. It was not difficult, but it was expensive to keep track of all your travels. But it was worth it!"

"You kept an eye out for me?" I blurted out, quite puzzled. "So why haven't you decided to let yourself be seen until today?"

"Life is a terminal disease, you know it?" he responded. "A terrible disease, full of so many things that contribute to sending you to the asylum or the cemetery. I am no exception."

"You are dying?"

"Everybody dies, child. I have no illness in my body but my old age, but I have three terrible external evils, which hurt me more than any ailment."

Three external evils? What he is talking about? I wondered. Personally, I saw nothing bad in the fact that he suffered. In fact, in a morbid fashion, it made me happy to see him suffer. But the fact that I had no information about who or what was causing him pain left me disoriented.

"Look outside!" he continued. "There are thousands upon thousands of men out here, you know? And each of them, in their own way, believes that wealth is living in luxury without fixed thoughts or work concerns, enjoying the beauties of life. But this is not true. Sadly, we often find out the truth when it's too late to fix it. Do you know what my father used to call me when I was your age?" he looked at me.

With a slow movement of the head I made a sign of no.

"Believe it or not, he called me ballast. He believed that I would never do anything good in my life. In a sense, he was right. I am almost eighty now, at the end of my time and yet I do not have anyone to share my last moments with. That is how the lives of rich men go. We spend the best years of our lives putting together, often through dishonest means, the largest possible amount of money or, if we are already born rich, we try to accumulate more. We live a highly competitive life, trying in every way to outclass our rivals by dints of checks and property. And then, when we finally collect a patrimony large enough to satisfy our ego, and we would like to enjoy it, here comes a doctor who says «If you don't want to die within three months: no alcohol, no parties, no women, no trips, no fatty foods and bedtime at eight o'clock!» And the money? Almost always ends up in luxurious clothes and residences if we have a wife, or in the jaws of our relatives, who do not hesitate to slaughter each other on the division of heritage even before we are dead. Finally, we remain alone, abandoned by everything and everyone, left to die like dogs too old to hunt."

He breathed sigh, looking at me once more, perhaps in search of compassion or empathy. However, he found none.

"In a sense, I was lucky. My wife was a gold digger, but she remained with me only four years before she fell ill and died. She gave me a son, whom I loved with all my heart, but whom I do not think he ever paid me back. Well, he and I will have plenty of time to discuss this when we are both on the other side..."

"I'm sorry." I said, suddenly stopping him. "So far I have only heard a desperate cry from an old man in search of affection. I thought you had something important to tell me!"

Mr. Gegenbauer smiled again, this time with a more evil bent. In a sense, it reminded me of Tanya's demonic smile.

"Do you know you were in trouble, son? Big trouble. Apparently, First Lieutenant Schoenauer was going to write a letter to the local headquarter, requesting the judgment of a court martial on your... conduct."

I suddenly froze, realizing the meaning of those words. Was he telling the truth?

"What?"

"Yes. Lucky for you, this is something you do not have to worry about anymore. I had a pleasant conversation with Colonel Kruger, before coming here, and we reached a... profitable agreement, for both sides. Although I cannot reveal all the details to you, I can tell you that one of the points of the agreement was the cessation of any form of legal persecution to your detriment, at least for those of the lowest level."

Eh? I thought with a string of amazement. I did not need to analyze the words to understand what Mr. Gegenbauer had just told me: he had just extended his (small) political protection to me. This means that, until I had made a sufficiently large mistake (such as selling information to the enemy, or openly rebelling against a superior officer), Schoenauer could not have reported me to the Court Martial.

I had connections. I was politically ... untouchable!

"You… you helped me?" I said, still uneasy about hearing that. "But, why?"

"The reason?" he said. "Because you are an investment, my boy. You are like a sum that I put in the bank, and I grow up grow and grow and grow, until the day I need to collect you."

I grimaced. I did not like the turn this discussion was taking. And being compared to a bank account was definitely not the best way to put me at ease.

"Are you trying to make me understand that the favors you are doing to me will have to be repaid with interest in the future?"

He smiled. "Oh no. Absolutely not. What I have done for you so far, as well as everything I will do in the future, are nothing more, or less, than my tricks to make sure you can get ready and prepared to fulfill your purpose."

"My…purpose?" I asked, a little angrier than before. "Are you trying to blackmail me?"

"What?" he responded, his face full of shock. "Oh no. I am not going to blackmail you. Nor I have intention to hurt or coerce you anyhow. You yourself will perform your duty, when the time comes. You will not have to do anything. Only your existence allows me to have another piece on my board, with which I can overturn the game."

I was starting to get tired of his cryptic and enigmatic tone; the words told me nothing about what this old man's intentions had for me. I therefore decided to take a more direct approach.

"Let's put the cards on the table, old man." I said, looking at him anger and frustration. "You said you have been watching me since the day we first met in that field hospital. You admitted that this cost you a lot, and yet you have not hesitated to spend. You have come here, to the front line, a place where no civilian, let alone an old and sick man like you, would be allowed to go. You put pressure on my superiors, something that is certainly not cheap either in terms of money or personal favors, just to see me, and you have done others to get me out of trouble with the Military Court. You can also be the richest and most influential man in the empire, but if you've decided to spend so much just to see me, to keep an eye on me and whatever, it's clear that you wouldn't have done it if what I can give you is not something you want so much more. So why don't you tell me directly what you want, and leave me alone?"

The old Mr. Gegenbauer kept looking at me for a second, with a face completely devoid of emotion. Then, he started once again to grin.

"Bossy, direct, aggressive and threatening. Used to taking what he needs, and indifferent to what others may think of him. A man who is interested in one thing and one thing only. To win."

He tried to get up, at first with great effort, before succeeding.

"You are exactly what I need for my most ambitious plan. But forget your most classic fears. I want neither money nor power from you. I already have too much money, and it is precisely because of that that I am in this situation. And power is something that will have no value for me when I am on the other side. What I want from you, my young officer is nothing less than what man always desires, above all things, every time he is wronged…"

"Justice?" I asked.

"No." He responded, his words cold as ice. "Revenge."

My eyes opened wide, as the word "revenge" reached my brain. I looked at Mr. Gegenbauer, who was looking at me with cruel glee. I could understand, both from his words and from his expression that he was looking forward to the moment when I could help him get the revenge he wanted so much in his heart. But against whom?

Who was his enemy? Against whom would he unleash his revenge, of which I would have been a part?

"Who?" I asked, without even realizing I said that.

"Not now, little prince." Mr. Gegenbauer said. "It's too early now. The only thing you need to focus on right now is your military career, your relationships with your classmates and your command. I will contact you when the time comes…"

"But then, why are you here already?" I asked. "Why did you decide to go so far, in the middle of Hell on Earth, if your plan can't be put into practice yet?"

"Because I wanted to see you again, child. I wanted to be sure that you were alright. But mostly, I wanted to tell you something about yourself."

"About me?" I almost laughed. "What else, apart from informing me that I'm supposed to be the bullet of the gun that is to be your so-called revenge, that you just saved me from the risk of ending up in Court Martial and that being rich is a bad thing that makes you die miserably, according to your words?"

"Just a small recommendation that you can treasure or forget, I don't care what you do with it. I personally hope you welcome it, because what I am about to tell you will be a very important lesson that I learned at the cost of bitter tears and great sacrifice…"

"What is it?" I said, looking at him with an interrogative look.

"Never let others decide for yourself." Mr. Gegenbauer said, letting of his voice like an old engine that barely works. "Never let yourself be conditioned or influenced by what others think. You can listen to the opinions of others, but when it comes to decisions, the final choice belongs to you! Not to someone else! Because every man, since the Earth existed, has always thought of only one advantage: his own. Do not believe the words of those who tell you that the well-being of one is the well-being of all, that all men share a common interest. It is all a lie. Many believe it, but it is all a lie. No man, in the depths of his heart, has ever cared for anyone's interests but his own. Many people consider themselves enlightened, they believe they place the interests of others before their own, but when they are forced to choose, selfishness and greed emerge in all their ferocity. And above all, never let other people take credit for something you did."

"Why are you telling me this?" I asked, dumb folded. "I already know the importance of not letting someone steal your achievements…"

"No. You don't." he said, suddenly angered. "Otherwise, you wouldn't have tied yourself, like a mussel on the rock; to the one you call Tanya…"

I gulped. "You know Tanya?"

He smiled again. "Young man, I know about her. Of how she managed to transform you into a second in command with honeyed words, coldness and manipulation…"

What? "What?"

"Yes. Believe it or not, I know perfectly well where she is, now, on this boundless front. I know who her subordinates are and how she treats them. And I know that if you don't learn to get smart, you'll never be more than her lackey."

I stood still for a second. Was it true? Since the beginning, Tanya has manipulated me into being her Dragon or something like that? Was she really trying to turn me into her willing minion?

"Remember my words and try to grow up, boy. It's harsh, but it also may be the difference between life, and death…"

I kept looking at him for a few seconds while he moved toward the tent's exit, to go outside. I knew that, after tonight, I would not see him for a long time.

"One moment!"

He stopped. "Yes, what is it?"

"I want to make a deal with you. I'll remember your words and will try to fulfill them, but in exchange I want a favor…"

Last edited:
Back