Malefic Minds

TrickleJest

Merry Meritocrat
You wake up in a huge metallic trash can, in a cramped and deserted alleyway, in a street forgotten by time. You appear to be lying on a huge pile of bodies. Some of them squirm as you squirm, and it gets a bit hard to figure out who is who in the massive squirming. Outside the trash can, a ragged looking man stands with a huge sack full of styrofoam saddled on his back. Glistening blue eyes look at you, glistening but empty, remnants of a long-gone passion now housing themselves in his pupils. You see that he has blonde-colored hair, and more notably, a scraggly looking beard, or at least, what remains of it. It seems as if his entire body has been burned, as red splotches cover him entirely, at least, in the visible areas, of which there are not many. A huge trench-coat covers it, and a jacket on top of that, and a scarf on top of that. Noticing you, he swiftly puts on a pair of red-tinted sunglasses, and looks away.

"Shit. They aren't supposed to wake up yet!" he hisses, and then hides behind a nearby barrel in such a way where his entire body is still visible.

You don't receive any directions. You're free to do as you like. No, really. Go ahead. You can even stab one of the other people in the pile, if you so wish. I wouldn't personally say that's a good idea. Did I forget to mention that it's a magic pile? Yeah. It's a magic pile. People sometimes just randomly appear in it. And yes, that is me trying to tell you that you can join this game mid-way and still pretty much be able to play at the same level as the other players.

So... What do you do?

Malefic Man: ???/??? HP.

I awaken withing the artificial darkness of the pile, only realizing that i wasn't still asleep due to the dull pain and pressure of a heap containing questionable amounts of ambiguously alive bodies covering and smothering me. As i feel around and come to realize the predicament I have found myself in. Due to the corresponding bout of panic, and the attempt at hyperventilation that came along with it, I also have established I cannot breathe. Drowning in a pile of perhaps-corpses wasn't the way i imagined my demise to be like, but it seems oddly fitting.

Having made peace with my end, the various gods i did or didn't worship in life, etc. I question how I've stayed alive in this cadaverous mound.

The answer I came to was as surprising as it was disturbing: I didn't. I died. I am dead. I am currently a corpse. I do not know what is more distressing, that the walking dead exist in this world i inhabited for so long, that i am one, or that I have no recollection of anything that happened in my life before now. My guess is one the last one.

As one does when faced with copious amounts of existential dread, I have some questions, Which I decide to ask to the vermilion voiced haggard: Who am I, What am I, How am I, why am I, Who are You, What are you, and Where are we.

I get out of the trash can, look around and quickly unholster my gun, turn the safety off, load it (assuming it's empty) and Aim it at the guy behind the Barrel. "I can see you, you know. Now talk what was I doing in that trashcan?"

Back