Mahou Tsukai no Yome (The Ancient Magus' Bride)

rhu.

In the Moonlight

Synopsis said:
Hatori Chise is only 16, but she has lost far more than most. With neither family nor hope, it seems all doors are closed to her. But a chance encounter begins to turn the rusted wheels of fate. In her darkest hour, a mysterious magus appears before Chise, offering a chance she couldn't turn down. This magus who seems closer to demon than human, will he bring her the light she desperately seeks, or drown her in ever deeper shadows?

While looking whatever the new chapter was already translated I decided to make the thread.

I am enjoying so far. The atmosphere is excellent, the magic feels truly magical, the art is wonderful, lots of references to old myths and literature (Sheakespere, Lovecraft and Tolkien were what I caught, the last one being a visual reference).
It's something kinda shonen kinda shoujo, with a female lead and no fanservice. I am really intriged as to were things are going.
There is a lot of hnnnnnnng worthy moments. It's cute without that moe bullshit.
It's not exactly the kind of stuff I usualy read (and I read a large scope of stuff) but it is good.

So anyone here is reading?

Last edited:
Moi.

I must admit the bad opening gave me quite the negative first impression on me. It just dragged on and on.

But, seeing this on SV, I might as well return and give it another chance.

Moi.

I must admit the bad opening gave me quite the negative first impression on me. It just dragged on and on.

But, seeing this on SV, I might as well return and give it another chance.
There are some hints of a larger plot at work, and right now the story is a pretty interesting place IMO (with The Horned God and the May Queen).
But things are still heating up.

You read it until were?

I'm up to current translations. I love it for it's wonderful illustrations and the excellent mood it puts out.

I am reading it and are currently in the middle of Cat King arc. I have say, for a manga that I picked solely because of rumours of an anime adaptation, it is superb. Have the same vibe as Spice and Wolf, which IMO the best pure fantasy series out there....

Not the worse of reasons to pick a manga, I started reading it because the name is two letters from the name of another story I know.

It seems that this is becoming quite the thing on Japan, right? IIRC aside from the anime rumours I remember hearing something about a drama CD or something like that.

Also, the translation using magus instead of mage does not help either
To be fair, the word 'Magus' itself is from Middle English language, and considering the setting, it's very apt to use it.

On the other hand, my hope for 'Kara no Kyoukai' lite version anime adaptation was dashed by said confusion so I don't know what to feel :V

To be fair, the word 'Magus' itself is from Middle English language, and considering the setting, it's very apt to use it.

On the other hand, my hope for 'Kara no Kyoukai' lite version anime adaptation was dashed by said confusion so I don't know what to feel :V
I am really hoping a good studio picks it for the adaptation.
I think movie (or movies) adaptation(s), not unlike KnK, would be the best, there is barely enough manga to cover an entire cour.

16 years old for Chise while Elias is....old. And call it a hunch, but I think I know why you had a bad impression of it. *glances at the title resignedly*

Oh I don't mind big age differences as long as it's not too big. 16 is perfectly acceptable in a fantasy series, maybe even 14. I read enough historical novels that it doesn't bother me too much.

I feel that maybe Chise is a bit too inactive at the beginning and all she does is dragged around by Elise and other magical beings. Hopefully it changes soon.

I feel that maybe Chise is a bit too inactive at the beginning and all she does is dragged around by Elise and other magical beings. Hopefully it changes soon.
Well, we as the viewers do need an audience surrogate. So I let that one slide. But indeed, I want to see Chise having her own initiative....

Have to say I just loved how Chise was just emoting utter exhaustion, it really drove home that she was at her last resort by selling herself at that auction

I've watched the first ep, and I think I'm going to keep watching it.

It's a different enough premise to have caught my interest to begin with, and as a brit I am totally onboard with anything that depicts the fae as untrustworthy gits LIKE HOW THEY ARE.

Also there's something about the show that feels.. familiar is the best way of putting it I suppose. The tone and artstyle makes me think I've seen something like it before, even if I've no idea what.

For me they're less untrustworthy and more that they have a rather different mental, societal and moral playbooks from humans. The big problem is that they very often don't care that humans see the world differently and treat the poor saps they come across accordingly.

Oh, a thread for my favourite manga.

So, anyone seen the first episode of the anime yet?
Only the first episode of the OVA actually, I haven't noticed there was more now. (But apparently the OVA is finished and there is an actual anime now?)

anything that depicts the fae as untrustworthy gits LIKE HOW THEY ARE.
Hey ._.
Without having watched it yet, am I right in assuming the mortals just did not listen to the exact wording?

Without having watched it yet, am I right in assuming the mortals just did not listen to the exact wording?
Well that and what the Fae think as common sense and desirable things are often at right angles (at the very least) to what humans do.

There's also the fact that humans can A: say things but not mean them/speak without thinking, B: outright lie and/or C: change their minds on a matter. These things tend to make the Fae somewhat........irate.
(But apparently the OVA is finished and there is an actual anime now?)
Yep first episode is out now if you look around.

Back