Magnetic Plot Armour [HP/MGCYOA(-ish)]

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Offered power by an overworked fairy disinclined to be picky, Alaine must try to fake her way through the odd-at-best Wizarding World using magic she barely understands, make friends that won't demand unpaid labour, and inform on people that at best might whine pitifully and at worst would have her head. Good thing she looks so innocent...
Last edited:
The First Compact

AmaiKotori

Not quite pure enough.
Summary: Offered power by an overworked fairy disinclined to be picky, Alaine must try to fake her way through the odd-at-best Wizarding World using magic she barely understands, make friends that won't demand unpaid labour, and inform on people that at best might whine pitifully and at worst would have her head. Good thing she looks so innocent...

"No-good bleedin' ratfink bastard son of an inbred witch-with-a-B!"

Wow, that was creative for what sounded like a kid half my age. Weird thing was, looking around, I couldn't see where it was coming from... there'd been something that looked kinda like the aurora just a few minutes ago, and I'd come this way for a better look, but it was already gone. Nice night for a walk, anyway.

"What good is the power of friendship when it gets you killed, huh? Huh?"

Hiding behind a bush or something? I crouched down, peering through the branches, and gasped. "Fairy!"

"Ghk!" The six-inch tall, pink-haired woman spun around faster than I could blink, slapping a hand against a branch to steady herself and causing the whole bush to shake. "You... you... what kind of brat goes around looking in bushes?! Do you have any idea how much trouble today has been already without nosy muggles?"

"H-hey, you're the one who was complaining! But..." I'd read some fairy tales. And she was clearly a lot stronger than she looked. Maaaybe I should be politer. "...erm, I mean, I've never met a fairy before. If it's a problem... maybe I could help?"

"You'd complain too if you'd had my day, and we're half a league out of town! What are you even doing here?"

I blinked. Looked around. I didn't remember how long a league was supposed to be, but I'd always had a bit of wanderlust, and... yeah, I'd come almost to the old cemetery. "...I wasn't looking where I was going?"

"Sure you weren't." She devolved into disparaging mutters for a few seconds while I fidgeted, not wanting to cause further offense to the clearly stressed magic fairy.

Folding her arms, she sighed roughly. "Look. You wanna make up for getting me seen? What d'you think about joining our side?"

I could feel my heart speeding up as the idea reached me, a giddy floatiness filling my chest. "You could make me a fairy? Oh, but if I were your size, I'd have a hard time going to school, and my foster family might not believe it was me, and it would be kind of tricky to find clothes that fit, and—"

"Quit yer babbling. I can fix all of that, and you wouldn't end up my height anyway. Too much human in you. But we just lost our man on the inside to something I like to call 'being an overly-noble fool', and if I don't shove that power in someone soon it's going to go stale. You're not ideal, muggle that you are, but you're here. So, you get fairy power, you use it to work for us when we ask, and you can do whatever the heck you want with it elsewise. Good deal, right?"

I couldn't possibly say no. I'd found a fairy, this was a once-in-a-lifetime miracle, there was no way I was passing up the chance to be magic. Sure, they wanted me to do work for them, and fairies were tricky, but fairy jobs couldn't possibly be harder than babysitting.

"And since you haven't run away yet, that's good enough. Hold still."

I blinked rapidly, wondering if she'd read my answer on my face or if she was being, ah, a little hasty, but soon found myself frozen in place as a small cloud of sparkling fog the same shade as her hair surged through the grass from the direction of the graveyard and rose to envelop me in a way fog really wasn't meant to move.

"So, three wishes, right?" She tapped her forefingers together rhythmically, looking up at me in a distinctly clinical fashion. I couldn't respond, my mouth sealed shut by the same sharply tingling sensation assaulting the rest of my body as I stood motionless on the deserted path.

"New school, that's covered by your job."

Alright, I hadn't exactly asked for a new school, but fairy school would definitely be interesting.

"Foster parents, dealt with, they'll forget you ever existed."

What?!

"Hard to find clothes, nope, easy enough to let you make them out of magic."

That sounded great and all, but back up a step, what?

"And this next part's a little, eh..." She shrugged. "Let's just say it's not so much under my control. Human souls are like custard; you can only shape them up to a point, then they do what they want. Try to relax."

That would be a lot easier if you hadn't just said ghrk—

The stabby, tingly feeling doubled in strength without warning, buffeting me from all sides to the point where I was sure I could feel myself getting squished into a smaller space than I was really meant to occupy. A wrench, a jerk, and another, denser puff of fog burst out of me, which would be fine if I hadn't just shrunk two sizes and it wasn't eating my clothes. I strained my arms, trying in vain to break my paralysis and grab on to something to preserve my dignity, but it was as useless as trying to talk; thankfully, I could feel new fabric covering me a few seconds later. Only, if I could move my head, I had the distinct feeling I'd find something... well....

With a gasp, I fell backward onto something cold, glassy, and floating three feet off the ground. The fog was gone, and my suddenly working lungs struggled to make up for lost time.

"Well, that's not so bad. You'd fit right in with those Spring brats. Don't go anywhere, I gotta grab one more thing off the last guy." The bush rustled violently as the fairy left, and with a groan, I pushed myself up, fell off the platform with an 'eep', and landed in a graceful crouch.

...that was new. Being a fairy was already coming in handy. Only... I looked at the thing I'd fallen off of, an ornate, old-fashioned hand mirror with a floral-carved bronze frame, scaled up to the size a giant might use. It tilted toward me as soon as I thought about it, and my stomach clenched, my head whipping around to make absolutely sure I was alone.

Taking deep breaths once I confirmed that no one else was seeing this, I turned back to get a better look at my new... me. It was pretty easy, mind you, on account of my new clothes being little better than underwear! My hair had lost several inches and gained a greenish hue, ending up a pale minty colour that matched the simple chest wrap and the tight skirt around my bony hips. It was a good thing the skirt was form-fitting enough not to fly up, because it was also short enough I was not comfortable without actual shorts underneath. At least the soft, laceless leather shoes were by far the nicest I'd ever worn. My face hadn't changed much; a little more symmetrical, clearer skin, but all-in-all still the same plain, round-faced girl I'd always been. Just... scrawny. Really, skinnier than I'd ever let myself get; not skeletal, exactly, but I had no trouble counting my ribs with my fingers. It, uh, it was probably a good thing fairies got magic.

Once I'd calmed a bit, I belatedly realized that it wasn't all skinniness; I'd been expecting to get smaller, cause, I mean, fairy, but it looked more like I'd gotten younger. By about six years or so. I was not experiencing any nostalgia for the age of eight, I assure you!

"Hold still."

I jumped at the sudden return of the fairy, who'd somehow snuck up behind me despite the mirror, and froze again when she whacked me over the head. That... hadn't hurt nearly as much as I'd thought it would.

A cold sensation slithered around my neck, and before I could regain my bearings a deep green jewel on a delicate silver chain was sitting just above my top. "What's that?"

"Secret-keeping stone. Keeps people from reading your mind."

"Fairies can read minds?"

"Nah, not usually, but you're not going to be dealing with us directly all that much."

I fingered the stone, enjoying the sparkle, then abruptly sat down on the obliging mirror as my thoughts circled around to our earlier conversation. "Hokay. Wait. What did you say you did to my foster parents?"

"Eh, technically nothing. You're a fairy agent now, I just used a bit of the power to 'encourage' the land to forget your old self. Basically, no one's going to miss you."

I felt that warranted collapsing onto my back. Granted, I'd only been in town a year, but... "I don't have a home any more."

"Nnnope. You'll fix that quick enough, I figure."

"Ffff...." That—thatwitch-with-a-B, indeed; that was so not a fair bargain! (Fairy, the sensible part of my mind I'd been determinedly ignoring since I met her saw fit to remind me.) "...and what's with this indecent outfit?!"

"What, you've never been to a beach? I didn't think muggles cared about that sort of thing these days." I got a distinct feeling of exasperation-boredom from her, and fell silent, blinking rapidly. She wasn't even in my field of vision; was this a fairy thing?

"Look, you can conjure up any clothing you can imagine and you have a pocket wardrobe dimension. Quit complaining about your base outfit and listen up. The human magicals—"

"There are ordinary people who can do magic?"

"Yes, now be quiet and listen. The human magicals had a bunch of infighting last decade, Dark Lord type took out a bunch of the government side, eventually got himself blown up. Now he's come back and just killed our last agent. Which means we've got no one on the inside to tell us what's up and find out whether we ought to help off him again or settle in for the long haul. Us fairies proper, we can't go into the school without being invited. Hence, you. You're not one of their magicals like he was, but you can probably either fake it or at least visit; I gave the power a nudge in that direction. You'll have to figure out exactly how it works."

"Um. Right. Go to magic school, find out what evil bastard is doing this time..." Sitting up without needing a push, I frowned at her. "Why would school be any good for that?"

"It's the unofficial centre of their society. Anything important that doesn't involve the government—and sometimes even when it does—even odds it's gonna happen at Hogwarts."

...I'd been to four schools in the past six years, and nothing important had happened at any of them. My skepticism must have shown on my face, because I felt the equivalent of an eye-roll from her as she threw up her hands.

"Don't look at me, I'm not a witch. There's a reason we keep agents. So, on that note: get moving. You'll want to make your way to London, find the Leaky Cauldron somewhere on Charing Cross Road. There's a gate there to their area of the city."

I'd probably have fallen off my mirror again if I hadn't just gotten magic balance. "London? How am I supposed to pay for that?"

"I'm not your godmother, brat. What, did you expect me to go through his pockets for loose change? Sneak on a train, beg a ride, whatever. Just use your human disguise if you need to blend in; showing off magic around normal people's not the thing to do."

That made sense, but I was starting to wish fairy magic came with proper instructions. "Human disguise?"

"Sure, just... will yourself human again. You won't have much magic like that, since it's kind of the point, but you'll be less green, and essentially unrecognizable even to someone who knows you. As for the rest, eh, you'll work it out. Oh, most important thing!" She struck a serious pose, hands on her hips and shoulders back, and for all that she was six inches tall and standing on a branch, I could almost taste the intimidation attempt.

...I could actually taste the intimidation, a floury film on my tongue, like the aftertaste of stale scones, that had no place in the sweet summer air. Weird.

"Reports, agent. Regular reports; post them to Violet Glen. Got it?"

"Um, yes. But what about—"

"Dismissed!" And with a leap into the field and a fading afterimage of pink, she was gone.

Well. Alright then. "Fairy Agent Alaine Ross is on the case!" I whispered to myself, a giddy grin tugging at my lips.

Homeless fairy agent, came the reminder, swiftly washing away the better part of the excitement; I slumped back with a groan, then a few seconds later my entire body tensed as I thought about my latest set of 'parents.' If they'd forgotten about me...

Bugger. I had to steal my stuff before they did!

Cross-posting here in hopes of getting some critique; I'd really like to improve. But if I can at least entertain, that's good too. I'll post the extant chapters in batches until it's caught up, which won't take too long.

Originally a light writing exercise; I rolled up a character with random powers using a Magical Girl chart and dropped them into the setting. As I'm apparently constitutionally incapable of not taking my writing seriously after a few thousand words, it turned into a proper story pretty quickly, but it still has a fairly silly premise.

Last edited:
Witch-Land
Somewhere in between sneaking into the house, frantically shoving everything I liked into pockets that never seemed to get full, imagining myself up a longer skirt and thick jumper to deal with my indecency issues, diving out a first-story window and bouncing off my mirror into a bush when Dad #4 noticed the noise, and trying to work out how best to get from Little Hangleton to London on my life savings of twenty-one pounds and seventy pence, I found the time to get properly annoyed with my fairy... boss. Whom I'd taken to calling just that in my head, since she didn't even bother with introductions. I had to move again, I didn't even know where I'd be able to stay this time, I apparently wasn't getting paid for fairy jobs, I was getting hungry, ashy boredom tasted even worse than intimidation, and...

But...

Fairy magic. That giddy excitement just kept creeping back, and I couldn't hold on to much else for long.

Spreading out the torn and weathered travel map I'd nicked from home on a dry lawn, I discovered to my irritation that Little Hangleton wasn't even on the map. Greater showed up in the index, at least, and it looked like Leeds was the nearest city I could catch a train from.

Which left me sitting on the green at the edge of town outside the village's only petrol station, watching the occasional customer roll through and practicing my new ability to tell what they were feeling. The proprietor was blatantly apathetic. An older couple looked at me askance, disapproval rolling off them in waves. Probably didn't like my hair, the killjoys.

Two younger people passed through in the next hour, and I got distinct feelings of concern from both. Concern was bad; you'd think it'd mean they'd be helpful, but what it actually meant was they were liable to pass me off to the police. Ordinarily that wouldn't be so bad, but when I was trying to get out of here... I smiled and waved them off before they could get close enough to talk.

I'd been sitting there nearly two hours, debating the questionable merits of walking all the way to Greater, when an older boy with messy blond hair pulled in. I waited for him to look my way, focusing as hard as I could on the change in his emotions, and got... plain curiosity, and a little amusement. Perfect.

I looked him up and down as I strolled closer. Black slacks, scarlet blazer with all the buttons undone, rather good-looking in a rough, angled way. Shoving my hands in my pockets, I leaned in a little. "Evening."

"Evening." His amusement was palpable as he returned my inspection. What was so funny, anyway—

Bugger. I'd... kinda forgotten I looked like an eight-year-old now. Moving had been so easy I'd hardly noticed the difference. Well, no backing out now; nothing for it but to keep going and see what happens!

"I don't suppose you could do me a favour?"

"I'm not giving you snack money."

"Not that." I wrinkled my nose at the thought of begging for money. I wasn't a layabout. "Just... you're not from around here, right? Are you heading out of town?"

"That I am. Why do you ask?" His grin suggested he already knew, but fine, if he wanted me to say it....

"I really need to get to a train station. Any way I could convince you to take me with you?"

"Hmmm. I'm sure running away sounds like a fun time and all, and I'm not morally opposed to a bit of technical kidnapping, but you're probably going to regret it, you know?"

I grimaced. Funny thing was, if it weren't for the whole Fairy Agent thing, I'd agree with him, but that wasn't going to serve as an excuse. "I'm, uh. I know what I'm doing. I've done it before. And I really need to get away."

A quiet snort accompanied a roll of his eyes and a puff of resignation-amusement. "Sure, Green. Why not. You can pay me with the story of your first try, it'll at least make the trip pass quicker."

I breathed a sigh of relief, then pulled in a bit of fizzy amusement, like soda water. Lucky. And I was starting to get the feeling that the emotions I actually tasted were... sticking to me, somewhere inside. Waiting to be used.

---

After an hour in the car practically shouting over loud rock music, Robin the Technical Kidnapper dropped me off at a station and went on his way. This late in the evening, the station was pretty subdued, but I still had to spin a tale of slipping off the train while my mother was sleeping to convince a skeptical agent to sell me a ticket (for a whole nineteen pounds) before I could fill up on the cheapest sandwich I could find and then nap all the way to King's Cross.

Now that was busy. Impatience and rumbling discontent filled the air, the former so pervasive that I sucked in a huge lungful of it without thinking. Sticking my tongue out in a futile attempt to rid it of the taste of celery, I ran a hand over my stomach. That wasn't quite right, though; the place inside me that was now nearly a quarter full of impatience didn't feel like it corresponded to any physical location. And I could definitely do something with it, that was obvious now. But first I needed to find witch-land. I could experiment all I liked once I didn't have to keep it secret.

Slipping through the crowd, I walked out into late-night London. My hair stood out less here, at least, although it still got a few looks. Not enough for me to bother trying out the 'human disguise;' I liked being magic, and I wasn't going to risk losing it from some mistake. The station map pointed me to Charing Cross, and away I went. It wasn't a short walk, or a short road to search, but eventually I managed to find a door with the appropriate name atop it and shoved it open.

I stopped dead just inside the door. I'd been impatient enough after all that that it hadn't really registered, but this was clearly a pub. Late at night. But there were enough weird-looking people around I was pretty sure it was the right place, and the bald, wrinkled bartender's vaguely creepy toothless grin was offset by the genuine friendliness I could feel from him. The suspicion from several others I steadfastly ignored, squaring my shoulders and walking up to the bar.

"'Scuse me. Is this the gate to witch-land?"

Amidst a couple chuckles from behind me and a derisive mutter of "Merlin, they get more clueless every year," the bartender just nodded amiably.

"Muggleborn, lass? Diagon Alley is right through the back. Naught'll be open at this hour, though; you ought to come back tomorrow."

Muggleborn, yep, that sounded like a safe thing to be. Boss had said I was a muggle, and 'part-fairy' probably shouldn't be my first explanation. "Can I go in anyway? Just to look around?"

"Can't say I'd recommend it. You ought to be getting back to your parents, lass."

Ugh, fairy youth biting me in the arse again. "I'm older than I look, really! I'll be fine!"

"I'll eat my hat if you're older than ten," a middle-aged man (who did indeed have a pointy hat to go with his witchy robes) observed with a scoff, then ponderously got to his feet. "I'll take her, Tom, get her out of your hair." Chuckling at his own joke, he headed toward the back door, beckoning me with one hand.

"As you say, Tobias. Have a good night."

The back of the pub was a tiny walled-in courtyard, and Tobias turned around, startling when he realized I was right behind him. (Like I'd risk getting left behind with a bunch of well-meaning but useless busybodies.)

"Well, girl, you're certainly eager. What's your name?"

"Alaine. And I am..." Well. No one was going to believe fourteen, were they? I guess ten or eleven was the best I could hope for. At least it beat eight. "...ten. Almost eleven!"

"Off to Hogwarts next year, eh? You might as well get familiar with the Alley. It's the biggest shopping district in Wizarding Britain, and some of us live here, as well. Here, this brick's the key; remember it well, and tap it thrice with your wand to get in."

Remember it well, he said; it was a brick in amongst a bunch of other bricks. I did my best to count down and across from the top corner as he demonstrated, although I wasn't sure whether it was seven or eight across since the whole wall opened up before I finished counting, leading into a cobbled street that definitely wasn't on the station map.

Brilliant.

Tobias laughed at the look on my face, then gently pushed me through. (Being able to tell when someone was laughing with malice or harmless amusement would have saved me so much trouble before.) "You'll get used to it soon enough. Here, you'll have to come back tomorrow to buy anything, but you can get your school books there, and this is the best apothecary..."

No two of the façades were quite alike, the buildings jammed up against one another in a charming display of organized chaos. I bet it would look even better during the day, but even now, this was exactly what I needed. I grinned along as Tobias took me down the lane, pointing out the best shops, even showing me a couple second-hand stores when I mentioned I didn't have much in the way of money. (That I was, in truth, as good as penniless, I kept to myself. I'd just have to find work or something.)

Eventually, we reached his flat, and he shooed me back to the Leaky Cauldron. As soon as I was reasonably sure he'd no longer be watching, though, I stopped next to a clothing shop by the name of Madam Malkin's. There were witchy robes on the mannequins in the window, full-length garments almost like a shapeless, wide-sleeved dress, although a couple were tighter-fitting and clearly designed to show off the body a little. I got enough of that from my fairy outfit; the normal robes would cover it neatly, and after looking back and forth to make sure no one was in sight, I pulled off my jumper and skirt and shoved them into my magic pockets. Which somehow existed even when my remaining clothing didn't have pockets. A few seconds' concentration gave me a proper black witching robe and matching pointy hat; now I could experiment.

My mirror had turned out to be amazingly responsive to my will; when I'd wanted to get it out of the way, it had shrunk to the size of a normal hand mirror and fit in my pockets as well as anything else, and I could tell it'd expand again in an instant if I wanted to ride it. Right now, though, I wanted to see what all that emotion I'd pulled in could do, and this was the closest thing to a magic wand I'd been given, so it'd probably work.

Focusing on the impatience I'd absorbed from the crowd at the station, I breathed out, fogging the mirror's surface in a mix of pale green shades as the feeling flowed out of me. That was a good start; it was doing something. Looking around again to make sure I wouldn't hit anything important, I swung it at the air.

Nothing. Frowning, I tried to breathe out more impatience, but the mirror seemed to be full; it only shifted in my hand a little. Another swing, focusing on it doing something, produced similar results.

Glaring at it, I tried to pull the substance back in, and it rushed over me with a similar mildly stabby, tingling sensation to when I'd been transformed—and my reflexive jerk back took me clean across the alley and into a brick wall.

The mild pain in the back of my head and the shower of dust from the brickwork were promptly ignored in favour of repeating the experiment, because holy carp that'd been fast. It quickly became clear that each spell lasted only a second or so, and I ran out of power after three more attempts, but I could clear seven or eight metres in a single step. Best of all, it actually made sense in hindsight, which was probably a first for this fairy thing; emotions I absorbed did things related to the emotion.

It miiight have been the adrenaline from the super-speed jumps that led to me wandering blithely down a side street instead of trying to find a place to stay. It was hard to worry about being broke after doing real, impossible magic. The other alley had 'Knockturn' printed on a crooked signpost that also directed people to the Leaky Cauldron and Gringotts, which Tobias had said was a bank. (I hadn't really worried about it, since, well, yeah.) Knockturn Alley was a little dingier than Diagon, but it shared the same cobbled street and mishmash of building styles; I assumed it was where the cheap shops were, the places that couldn't afford or didn't want to bother with regular cleaning and maintenance. Pity I didn't have anything a witchy pawn shop would want to buy; it would have been useful.

Anyway, it was nearing midnight, so this street was nearly as quiet as the last. There was the occasional drunk stumbling by, but I'd gotten used to people like that a while ago. I wasn't nearly as tired as I would have expected, though, so I kept wandering, poking my nose into shop windows to see what I could past the grime. (Seriously, did witchy folk not have cleaning magic? Did they just like the atmosphere or something? Maybe they magicked it to the perfect level of griminess every morning.)

There was one shop that looked to be open, but the sign was turned over to 'Closed' as soon as I got near, the proprietor ignoring my folded arms and pout with a dismissive look as he left in the opposite direction. Borgin, or Burke, whichever he was, was either a bastard or I had really bad timing.

The only interesting thing I ran into, several buildings further down, was the sound of muffled conversation from a tiny gap between two buildings. That, at least, sounded better than nothing, and I tucked my mirror away. Squeezing into the gap even I could barely fit through, I shuffled along until I could poke my head out to see the speakers.

"I can hardly believe it," one chubby man muttered, before waving a hand swiftly, radiating nervousness. "Not that I doubted he'd return eventually! But to actually see it, well."

The three of them were seated around a small table and had hooded cloaks on despite the warm night; all I could tell about the second speaker was that he was stocky and had a glass of liquor in hand. His voice matched the vague impression, rough and dry. "Oh, the good times are coming back, Willy-boy. You'll have no trouble believing it soon enough."

"The waiting will be the hardest part," the slender third member said, drawing their cloak closer; strands of long brown hair trailed from the hood, and I couldn't tell from their voice whether it was a man or a woman. "Do nothing until called, and no hint of when? I'll go batty within the week." Filling a tumbler, they drained half of it in one gulp, then belched a jet of fire into the air.

I gasped; oh, I so wanted to try that now. The first man whipped his head around, and I felt a strong tug as he leveled a thin wand in my direction. My hat fell off, flopping sadly into the courtyard, and I looked up from its resting place to find three sets of eyes on me. "Hi?"

"Stupefy," the second man said evenly.

That didn't sound g—

Last edited:
The Second Compact
In my defense, it was the first time I'd had someone shoot a spell at me, and I was half-squished into a gap too narrow to even be called an alley. I'd dodge next time, okay?

This time, I opened my eyes to a dusty room; someone's mostly-unused basement, from the look of things. My brief inspection was brought to a halt when I realized my position: bound to a chair at wrists and ankles, and naked save for my pants. A cold jolt stabbed into me just above my stomach, my breath growing rapid and shallow as I struggled against the bonds, unable to move them so much as an inch. I had to get out, had to get away before they came back—

I collapsed back against the sturdy wood, light-headed and watery-eyed. I wasn't getting anywhere. What did I have in my pockets? Nothing that could even come close to cutting rope. I swore I'd nick a knife at the first opportunity once I was out, but first I had to get out. Maybe... if I took out my mirror, expanded it, fell backward onto it, and floated out? No, no good, I still wouldn't be able to open the door.

I whipped my head around, looking for something else I could use, but aside from a desk with a single candle—and, now that I took a closer look, my fairy outfit and necklace—the room was bare. Even my robe and hat were missing.

A suspicion wormed its way into my head, and I checked my pocketspace. The jumper and skirt were gone too. I'd been wearing them for hours before... did they disappear after a while when I took them off? No, it didn't matter, that wasn't important right now. The longer I spent failing to accomplish anything, though, the more my lack of clothing started to bother me. I just couldn't see a way to do anything about that either; being able to conjure up any clothing I could imagine didn't help when it appeared in my hands.

God damn it, there had to be something I could do. My human disguise would just make me less capable, I didn't have enough stored emotions to power any magic, my mirror didn't even have a single sharp edge for the love of—

"Given up, have you?"

I couldn't help it; I screamed. Bad enough I was trapped and exposed and helpless and wanted to cry even though crying never helped anything, now there'd apparently been someone right behind me the entire time. Now that I knew he was there, I could feel his emotions; a mixture of wariness, curiosity, and sadistic cruelty.

...it burned worse than pepper sauce on my tongue, but I immediately started drawing on the latter. He was only one person, and not feeling it very strongly, but I'd take what I could get.

"It's been six hours; that's not polyjuice. A metamorphmagus would have slipped the ropes by now. You're not a child of any of ours, but no muggleborn would go around in enchanted under armour and conjured clothing. Who are you, and why were you spying on us?" The rough voice was almost certainly the man who'd knocked me out, but lower and harder, without any trace of last night's drink.

"I—I'm—I wasn't! I was just bored, and I heard voices, so I went to look." I hated the waver in my voice, but I couldn't suppress it any more than I could break these ropes.

"And you did that by sneaking in through a gap we wouldn't think to check and hiding in the darkness to listen. Sure. Try again."

"I don't even know who any of you are!"

Heavy footsteps circled around until he entered my field of vision. Heavily muscled, with thick arms and a broad chest, he sported several days' stubble on his chin and a leer that made me reflexively double-check for any trace of desire—entirely absent, thank God. He just wanted to see me squirm, and the wand pointed at my body was all but an explicit promise of worse to come.

"Then you're dumber than you look, aren't you? Which says a lot." He flicked his wand, and a stabbing point of light jumped from its end to my chest. My reflexive yelp was more from surprise than pain; he was going easy on me, which gave me a little hope.

"Let's start with the easy question first. Your name, girl."

"A-Alaine."

"Alaine who?" Another stinging jab to my stomach, stronger; still not as bad as an actual bee sting.

"Alaine Ross." I pressed my lips together, trying not to show how much this whole situation was getting to me.

"Getting the idea? Now, if that's your real name, there's no way you own all that." He waved his free hand at my belongings. "So let me rephrase. Who told you to spy on us?"

I grit my teeth, squeezing my eyes shut for a moment to clear them. "No one!" I was Fairy Agent Alaine Ross, and I was not going to tell on Boss just because some jumped-up bully with a—

"Crucio!"

"Eep!" Warned by the spike of sadism as much as the word, I twisted my hips to the side in a move I definitely couldn't have pulled off two days ago, pulling my torso just barely out of the way of a red bolt that scorched the wood slightly where it struck.

"Recognize that one, do you?" he said with a smirk.

"N-no, but any spell that shares a root with either crucify or excruciating..."

"Oh, it's the latter, I assure you. Feeling talkative yet?"

I really did not want to find out what that spell did. I also didn't see many other options, aside from stalling; drawing from one person was slow, and even if I could use it to free my hands...

"I don't even understand what you want! Why would you care about someone seeing you talking? Are you followers of the Dark Lord or something?"

The wand flicked in my direction, and I flinched, but nothing emerged. "The Dark Lord has been dead for thirteen years, you stupid bint."

His dismissive sneer would have fooled me before, but his wariness had just eclipsed his other emotions. I wouldn't get a better chance. "But he's back now, right? Since yesterday."

"Which attention whore did you hear that from?"

Had to keep it going, had to keep it going. This was my mission and my chance to get out of here in one. "I'm—I'm from Little Hangleton. I saw it myself."

"Memento incensus."

I tried to dodge again, but he simply moved the wand to continue pointing at me; from the lack of a visible effect, I thought perhaps he hadn't cast yet, but then a ticklish heat licked at my feet, and started growing. Was I—no, there was no light, there was no fire, I wasn't—but it spread to my shins, then my knees, and kept getting hotter, and I was standing on the pyre, being burned alive by—no, it was up to my waist and I couldn't see anything, it was only feeling, it—

"The fairies told me!" I screamed, even as my feet curled and my hands burned, and for a blessed second, I felt nothing. Then my body caught up to the spell's absence, and a deep, lingering ache began spreading through my flesh in its place.

Panting, I looked up at the wand still pointed at my chest and the expectant face behind it and shuddered. "They, they tell me about things that happen around town sometimes. S-since I'm p-part fairy."

He spat to the side, deep disgust surfacing for a moment before subsiding. "Creature blood. I should have known. Fucked if I know how that even comes about; don't tell me. And those things?"

"I inherited them." Just not from my parents. "I wasn't trying to spy on you, really, I just—I thought, if he's back, then I should go to school. Meet new people. Be part of things, not... all on the edges. But I don't know if they'll accept me, and I don't have money for supplies, and I wanted..." I was babbling, wasn't I? Lies and truth and wishes, all mixed together, but he didn't cast again, and right now, that was about all I cared about.

"Dumbledore will take even your kind, I wager. Let a bloody werewolf in, didn't he? The Dark Lord cares more about how useful you can be." A calculating greed crept into his approach; he flicked the wand again, maybe just to see me flinch, and he got it. That last spell might have been the worst he could do, but I doubted it. "Creature you might be, but you have sense enough to know what's best for you, right? Any of our children will be under suspicion... you, on the other hand, are practically above it. If you can make your way into Hogwarts, and keep us informed of what Dumbledore and Potter are up to... well, there'll be a place for you with us, at the end. And I'll personally be willing to forget this little incident ever happened."

He would forget it happened? The sheer indignation at his pretending I was still the one in the wrong here pushed back some of my remaining fear. I was already supposed to be informing on the things that happened at Hogwarts; if adding one more person to tell let me get out of these ropes, it was a deal worth taking. (I had no idea who the two people I was supposed to be spying on were, but that was a problem for later.) Just... I was not letting that go.

Blinking my eyes clear again, I pushed the fear down as far as I could and stared up at him. "Throw in enough money for school supplies, and I'll forget this ever happened."

He snorted, then spat once more for good measure. "I suppose a spine will serve you well in this. We're agreed, then."

I took a deep breath and nodded, my legs trembling as he disappeared the ropes and I got to my feet. I tried not to let my relief show too clearly; I felt like I should have been covered in cold sweat and my hair matted to my scalp, but on the outside, at least, I didn't show a single effect of the ordeal. He vanished up the stairs while I put my fairy clothing back on and conjured a new robe to go overtop. Then I pulled out my mirror, breathed what little sadism I'd managed to gather onto its surface, and swung it toward the wall. A single talon of deep red lashed out across the intervening space, carving a vicious gouge into the wood, and I nodded to myself.

I knew what I'd be doing if he ever tried to hurt me like that again, and that was enough to push me forward and up the stairs into the dawn light.

Last edited:
Fitting In
Diagon Alley was definitely prettier in the daylight, bright colours I'd only vaguely noticed last night plastering two shop fronts in three. Even in the early morning, there was enough cheerfulness in the air that I almost instinctively started pulling it in, strawberries washing away the burning flavour of sadism. I was more than happy to put some distance, both mental and physical, between myself and Macnair, who'd only given me his name so I had someone to post information to. (It had come with pointlessly blatant warnings against disclosing either relationship; honestly, I wasn't stupid enough to tell someone about him and get all his Dark-Lord-follower friends after me if he got caught.)

Of course, the thought of spending his money wasn't helping with that whole 'distance' thing, given that it had come with qualifiers like 'not thinking it would let me equip myself above my station.' I didn't even know exactly what I'd need yet, but, well, I probably wasn't going to be able to live off the change for the summer, you know?

The one thing I did want to get as soon as possible was a magic wand; all the witchy-types seemed to use the same kind, from what I'd seen so far, and my mirror would stand out more than I'd like. Ollivander's looked like the kind of artisan boutique I'd never set foot in normally, all understated décor and quiet confidence in its own product, but it was also apparently the only wand shop in the alley.

I pushed open the door, immediately assailed by an urge to keep my movements small and my breathing quiet. There was no way I was going to go poking around, but just from what I could see, there had to be hundreds of wands in there at a minimum, unless some of those boxes were empty. What kind of obsessive-compulsive craftsman kept a stock like that? There couldn't possibly be that many witchy folk, not if they managed to stay secret.

If the owner ended up quoting a price at me I couldn't afford, I was going to go back and boot Macnair in the shins a few times for embarrassing me.

"Good morning."

I sucked in a sharp breath, twisting on the spot to face the old man who was somehow now by my side. I had got to get better about letting people sneak up on me. "G-good morning."

He peered at me through wide silvery eyes that matched his hair, leaning down to inspect me more closely. I couldn't feel anything from him but confidence and quiet pride; this was definitely a man who lived for his job. "Off to Hogwarts this year? You are here early."

I nodded, trying my best to look like I belonged here. "I wanted to get a wand as soon as I could. It's the most important thing, right?"

"Indeed it is. The wand chooses the witch, and while it does not define her, there is no other tool you will come to love as much. That is why I use only the finest, most reliable materials – and ensure every customer leaves my shop with a perfect match. Do hold still a moment." He turned away to the shelves as a tape measure slithered from one of his sleeves and began to curl around me like a peculiarly affectionate snake.

It started with fairly traditional measurements, but I had to clench my fists and hold my breath to keep from jerking away from the ticklish sensation as it darted up my sleeve and began measuring weird things like the circumference of my elbow and the length of my collarbone. Ollivander must have had a magic notepad or something, too, since he wasn't looking in my direction and wouldn't have been able to see half the results if he were. I let out a sigh of relief as the tape measure dropped from my robes and slithered back to him, only to immediately stiffen up again as he turned back with a small stack of boxes in hand.

"Ash and unicorn hair, eight inches," he said perfunctorily, opening the first. "Give it a wave." It was a slender and delicate thing, not even the width of my finger, but I was a little distracted from waving it about by the revelation that unicorns were real too. I needed to find out where they lived...

Maybe my no-doubt glassy-eyed expression gave it away, but he took the wand back almost as soon as I'd moved it, immediately passing another into my hand. That was judged a failure near as quickly, as were the third, fourth, and fifth, none lasting more than a second.

"Am I doing something wrong? Or, um, not doing something I should be?"

"No, no, my girl, the wand chooses the witch, as I said. You will have no doubt when you take yours in hand." With birdlike motions, he plucked another four boxes from the shelf and laid them before me.

Call me skeptical, but all of them so far had felt exactly the same to me, so I wasn't sure what he was going for. Taking the sixth in hand, a longer, noticeably tapered wand of oak, I pushed a little of the cheerfulness I'd gathered on my way here through my hand, getting a brief, pale red glow from the tip that flickered twice before dying.

Ollivander just gave me a knowing look. "You tried to force that one, yes? That will not do at all, not at all. You will never get results as good with a wand meant for another."

I tried not to pout at being seen through, but I'm not sure how effective it was. In any event, after another fifteen boxes piled up on the counter, Ollivander growing ever more intent, I couldn't resist a huff of frustration. "What am I even supposed to be feeling from the 'right one?'"

"The wand will accept you as its master; your magic will flow through it without effort. Every wizard and witch is different, and so too every wand. Much like with people, those attributes can push another away or draw them closer; surely you have noted that some of those you try feel more or less opposed to you than others? The one that chooses you will take your magic of its own accord." Even as he lectured, he was pulling more boxes down, but as pretty as it sounded...

Thinking back on the wands, I hadn't detected rejection any more than acceptance. I could believe that wands had a basic level of emotion, feelings of compatibility—I'd seen weirder things already, including in this very shop—but if that was so, each and every one of them had been utterly indifferent to my existence. I grasped the next one slowly, hesitating before pulling it out of the box, and just closed my eyes and breathed in.

Nothing. While I could tell it would take my magic as well as the other time I'd tried, it was just that—exactly the same.

"Do you feel something different from that one, now?" the wandmaker asked, an encouraging smile on his face.

"...no. I think—I think I can feel that they're there, but they don't accept or reject me, they don't care about me at all. None of them."

Ollivander's brow wrinkled, and I could feel the disapproval behind those pale eyes. "Miss, every witch has a wand that will choose them, and I firmly believe they can find it within these walls."

"But what if I'm—" I clammed up before I could finish saying something stupid, but it didn't much help; he leaned in again, looming over me like a crane to a frog, and I could feel my face heating up as I tried not to squirm.

His tone was calm, even, and impossible to ignore. "Do you believe you are so special that none who came before you, in the two millenia my family have been wandmakers, have been so difficult a customer?"

"...no." I hadn't been anyone special at all a few days ago. Even now, I knew perfectly well I wasn't the first fairy agent. I didn't need to be, damn it; I'd manage anyway.

"Then do you not believe you are a witch?"

Bloody hell, had he guessed somehow? Looking up into those wide, unblinking eyes, it was easy to believe. I didn't feel any suspicion from him, but then, I'd felt unwelcome in here from the start, hadn't I? I'd thought it was the place being too classy for me, but maybe all those wands just wanted me to stop disturbing their sleep, and the wandmaker wanted me to stop wasting his time. I had to get to the school to do my job, though, somehow, any lie would do—

"...part-fairy." I took a step back under that intent stare as my lips moved of their own accord, my palms coming up instinctively to shield myself. I swear I hadn't meant to say that, it was just... "P-please don't tell anyone!"

Possibly for the first time since I stepped into the shop, Ollivander blinked, straightening up and gazing at the latest open box. "Well now. That is most curious. Perhaps... perhaps you are indeed invisible to the wands I make, not quite in the same... but no, then the unicorn... something in the outer components?"

I glared at the ground, trying to will my face back to normal. "Sorry for not being a proper witch."

His head snapped back to me at once, the motion in my peripheral vision so quick I half-expected to hear a literal snapping sound. "Are you ashamed of your heritage, Alaine Ross?"

When had he learned my name...? Never mind that. I met his eyes firmly and shook my head. Fairy magic was amazing and two days with it was more than enough to convince me that I'd never want to go back.

"Good. There are many magics in this world, some as common as trees in a forest and some ill-understood indeed. Yours may be the latter, but that is no fault of yours. Wait here."

I tried to relax while he moved off to hunt through one of the back shelves. Honestly, I could read his bloody emotions and I was still struggling to understand him.

It wasn't long before he returned with a single box, sweeping the rest aside to make room. The slender wand inside wasn't quite the smallest he'd brought out, but it was close. "Apple wood and tail hairs from a yearling unicorn, seven inches. This is my youngest wand, the most willing to learn and grow. I loathe letting a customer leave without a proper match, but while it will not likely recognize you any more than the rest at first, I hope that with regular use it will come to know and accept you as any other might."

Nodding, I took it in hand, resignation spreading through my chest as it ignored me like all the others. Still, as long as I could use it, and I wasn't going to get in trouble for faking.... I pushed a little more cheerfulness down the shaft, leaving a slightly brighter trail as I flicked it in a half-circle. "Thank you."

"You are quite welcome. I only wish I could do more. That will be seven galleons."

Bloody— I only had ten! I was going to end up digging through second-hand shops for the rest of my supplies, wasn't I?

At least I managed to keep my complaints in my head while paying him. He'd been weird, but not... well. That could have gone a lot worse, right?

Last edited:
Self-Sufficiency
There were worse states to be homeless in. (For example, I could be homeless without fairy magic that handled keeping my clothes clean and repaired and let me carry around anything I needed without feeling the weight.) That said, I still needed to eat—less so than before, it felt like, but all the same—and I was pretty sure I wasn't going to buy food and lodging for the rest of the summer, plus my school supplies, on three coins, even if they were actual gold.

It was almost tempting to go back for attempt number four at foster care, but old me didn't exist any more; Boss said she'd made 'the land' forget about me, which was... kinda ominous, honestly, but also sounded pretty thorough. And how was I supposed to explain running off to witch-school even if I did get past the bureaucracy?

Basically, I needed work, and babysitting wasn't going to happen without someone to vouch for me. Witch-land didn't seem like a good place to start looking; who'd want a clerk or whatnot that didn't even know some of the words you were using? It'd be like trying to work in Scotland without knowing any Scots; sure, you'd be able to hold a conversation, but every now and then you'd just have no idea what a word meant. Only instead of just being a different word for something you knew, it'd be the concept itself you didn't know, and it'd happen a lot more than just every now and then, and that analogy kinda got away from me there.

Point was, I was heading back to London. I spent the last of my normal money on a cheese sandwich, then put the uneaten half in my pocket for later. This part of the city was pretty classy; there were theatres everywhere. Maybe one of the lower-end ones wouldn't mind an extra hand? None of them were open at this time of day, though, and even if I'd made myself presentable with a boring grey skirt and white blouse, along with a cardigan to cover the signs of my fairy clothing underneath, I sort of doubted I'd manage to make it through a conversation without sounding like... myself.

I wandered around for a bit longer, ranging further afield and keeping an eye out for hiring notices, until I finally spied what I was after on the glassy front of a bookstore. I could probably manage that—

I stopped dead as I caught sight of my reflection in the window, practically slapping myself in the face as I buried my head in my hands with an exasperated groan. I'd forgotten again. There were places that would hire a fourteen-year-old, yes; there were significantly fewer that would hire an eight-year-old, even if it was only on the outside. Not like they could tell the difference.

I kept wandering—maybe I'd get lucky and spot something—but I didn't have much enthusiasm left after that realization, and no luck either. It was late afternoon by the time I stopped in a busy park square, sneaking my sandwich out of pocketspace while I took a drink from a water fountain.

I eyed it curiously, taking a bite. It was still warm, even though I'd been wandering around all day. Did... did time not pass in pocketspace, or something? Glancing about, I found a less busy street and hustled down it until I was at least distant enough no one would notice me playing with my food. Biting halfway through it, so that the mostly-detached piece started slowly drooping down, I shoved it back in. Waited half a minute or so. Pulled it out to find it exactly where it'd been last, whereupon it promptly finished detaching and hit the pavement. Goddammit.

Wasted food aside, things really did freeze when I put them away. I could be a pretty good delivery girl. Of course, since I relied on magic to do it, normal London was out of the question, but I'd seen a shop selling animal and plant bits in Diagon Alley. Things that needed to stay fresh, I assumed. That someone might want somewhere further away, still fresh?

---

The bell of the apothecary sounded tinny and flat as I entered, the sound absorbed by barrels of questionable animal bits and dried herbs hanging from the ceiling. There were actually fewer things liable to spoil in here than I'd hoped, but it was still worth a try.

"Can I help you?" came a bored voice from the proprietor, a slowly balding man with stringy black hair down to his shoulders where it wasn't missing entirely. The taut skin of his face was more weathered than wrinkled, and his eyes were sharp despite his languid manner.

I made my way up to the counter, trying my best to look confident and competent. I'd changed back into witchy robes to blend in, but I had no idea whether they were the equivalent of casual or formal wear, even if they were black. "I was hoping I could help you."

I didn't need my fairy empathy to feel the skepticism in his gaze as he looked down at me, but he still sighed and waved a hand. "Go on."

"I'm looking for work. And I have, um, magic pockets, basically. Anything I put in them doesn't get warm or cold, and it won't spoil or jostle about; it comes out exactly how it went in. If you ever need deliveries done, I can guarantee they'd get there in perfect shape!"

"'Magic pockets.' That's a tall claim, girl. Especially since I don't see any pockets on your robes."

"Well, it's not literal pockets. It's more like an... innate talent? Here, see?" I'd more or less gotten the hang of my 'pockets' being anywhere I needed them to be; I pulled a pencil out of the air in front of him, then pushed it back in.

I could feel a little of his skepticism fading, but he still wasn't convinced. "That's an impressive bit of magic for someone your age, but that just means it's more likely to fail at a critical moment. All the more so if it's not based on existing space expansion spells. And I doubt you're the kind of prodigy who could have invented something new and stable already."

"I'm not," I acknowledged. (I'd stop using this excuse all the time when it stopped being so convenient.) "I'm part-fairy. It's just something I can do; I don't even know any wand magic yet."

"Part-fairy." His tone was utterly flat, one eyebrow raised ever so slightly.

I just nodded, hoping he was more like Ollivander than Macnair.

After a while, he sighed. "You know, I'm not sure I want to hear the details. Look, girl, why do you even want to do this? It's not like I could pay you much; owl post is cheap."

"I... can't rely on my foster parents anymore. It's only until school starts in the autumn; I don't need much, just for food. Please?"

His expression didn't change much, but I could feel pity welling up underneath the skepticism. He'd probably assumed... well, that wasn't far off anyway. And while I'd rather get work on my own merits than out of pity, if it meant I could eat, I wasn't going to complain.

With another sigh, he pulled his wand from beneath the counter and flicked it at something behind me; a plump orange berry zoomed over my head and landed on the counter. With a longer incantation, he cast something else on it, then rolled it toward me. "Put that in your 'pockets' and bring it back to me tomorrow morning. If it's still fresh and intact, I'll find something for you to do."

"Yes! Thank you!" I gave him my best smile, pocketing the berry (which I assumed was doomed to a horrible fate if I didn't keep it frozen), and practically skipped out of the shop.

With my evening free, I spent it wandering up and down the Alley, pulling in cheerfulness, impatience, and a surprising amount of mournful, oily sorrow. I managed to sneak a look at a paper, but there wasn't any explanation for the latter.

I approached one of the sadder-feeling witches, a middle-aged blonde who was sitting quietly in a corner of the pub. "'Scuse me. Sorry to bother you, but did something bad happen? A lot of people seem kinda..."

She blinked twice as she looked me over, and her face softened. "I suppose your parents weren't at the Tournament finals last night? One of the students died, young Cedric Diggory. Such a bright young man; a very talented wizard for all his humility. Many of our children thought very highly of him, and I must say the feeling was infectious. Such a waste, to have a life like that cut short for gold and glory..."

Oooh. Last night. I... apparently had a lot to live up to, assuming Diggory was the last agent. Lovely. "Sorry to hear that. I didn't know him, but he sounds really nice."

"Indeed he was," she said softly, patting my head. I let her; wasn't sure she even knew she was doing it, honestly, her eyes were kinda distant. "You take care when your time at Hogwarts comes, dear. The things my daughter tells me...."

Because that wasn't ominous at all. I should probably get to practicing with my wand.

I slipped back out into London as night fell; wizards and witches were a lot more likely to notice me squatting. Of course, this was a commercial district, so I still had to be careful, but it was warm enough; I found an empty alley behind a theatre showing Much Ado and hopped onto my mirror to float slowly up to the roof. Naturally, it turned out to be occupied by several irate crows, who chased me off to the next one, but as they seemed content to leave me there, I flipped them a two-finger salute and just hoped no one had been looking up.

I cleared a space of dirt and pebbles, conjured up some warm, fluffy pyjamas, and fell asleep to the faintly nostalgic sounds of the big city below.

It was when I was strolling down the Alley the next morning, on my way to what was hopefully my new job, that I suddenly found myself pulled up on my tiptoes, a hand fisted in the front of my robes and a brown-bearded face, ruddy with drink or anger, less than a foot from my own. "Where did you get that necklace?"

Ah, bugger.

Last edited:
The Third Compact
There weren't many people around—I'd woken up pretty early, despite getting to sleep late—but that definitely drew attention. A thin man with a button nose approached while I was fumbling for words, holding his hands out hesitantly like he was soothing a riled dog. "Amos, please, let's just take a step back..."

"That's Cedric's!" he hissed emphatically, rising anger mixing with the fierce grief and longing drowning his thoughts. Ah, carp, this was his dad, wasn't it?

"I'm sure it just looks similar, now please, I know you're having a hard time, but you're making a scene..."

"A 'hard time?'" he snapped, shooting a disbelieving glare at the other man while his fist twisted in my robes, pulling me a little higher.

I finally found my voice, tapping at his arm to draw his attention back. "C-can we talk about this somewhere more private?" I didn't know how much he knew, but it was probably enough that I didn't want it getting out to the whole Alley, and it'd be better for his own reputation if this didn't go on any longer.

"Miss, you shouldn't feel obliged to—"

"It's fine, really. I get it." I gave the other man a small smile, and he faltered as Amos slowly let me down. Cor, he was strong for a wizard.

His hand moved to take a firm grip on my shoulder instead. "Very well. But you'd better have a good explanation for this, young lady."

He steered me down the street back to the Leaky Cauldron, drawing suspicious eyes the entire way, and I tried not to feel resentful of the treatment. He'd just lost his son; he probably wasn't feeling too reasonable. Rather, I could tell he wasn't feeling too reasonable, his emotions strong enough the taste of them tickled my tongue without any effort on my part.

The wrinkled old bartender brought a pot of tea to the corner booth Amos directed me to without being asked; grief broke through the anger again as he left us alone with a quiet word of sympathy, and the other wizard choked back the beginnings of a sob, pouring the tea in relative silence and staring into it without a word for long enough I dared take my own. It was pretty good for tea, especially tea served in a pub. (I mean, not that I'd had tea in a pub before or anything, I was just assuming.)

"Who gave that to you?" he said after a while, less forceful than before but no less serious. "And don't bother to pretend it is only similar. I heard how—how he died. There is no good answer to how it ended up in the possession of a girl not yet Hogwarts age."

"I'm almost eleven," I insisted, without much heat. (I mean, it wasn't really the time, but I had to make that clear.) "And... how much do you know about the fairies?"

He finally looked up from his tea, faintly red-rimmed eyes staring directly into my own. He didn't answer immediately, but the surprise I could feel was answer enough.

"I... kinda inherited his job. The necklace came with it."

"It was his," he insisted, fingers clenching around the teacup's handle. "He never went anywhere without it, and it was the only thing that wasn't returned to us. It belongs with his family."

My fingers rose to the necklace, covering the green stone. It's not like I couldn't sympathize, but I really didn't like the idea of having my mind read. "I'm sorry, but I didn't choose to take it. And it does something really important."

"What could possibly be so important they could not give you another? He aided them without complaint. Always happy to help, my boy, never asked for anything in return. Never bragged even when he deserved to." His voice grew steadily more hollow, oil and spices mixing on my tongue. "And this is how they treat his memory?"

I hesitated, pressing the stone into my chest. Would telling him what it did just make him want it more? But then, didn't he deserve to know?

"It keeps people from reading my mind," I said softly. "So no one will know I'm trying to find out what the Dark Lord's up to."

"Do not call him that!" he said sharply, offense skimming the surface of his melancholy. "That is the epithet used by his followers and sympathizers. Say You-Know-Who, or He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named."

"Sorry." Was that why Macnair had believed me? The other side's names were kind of silly, though.

"But..." He paused, face twisting into a vaguely disturbed frown. "This is the task they have set you? A girl of ten?"

My lips curled, and I slurped petulantly at my tea. "They gave me their magic. It's not like I'm helpless."

"Power is no substitute for wisdom and experience. Even if it is only his followers' children you seek to learn from..."

"Well, someone has to do it, right? If Cedric being gone means it falls to me, then I'll do my best." I wasn't going to forget the debt I owed for gaining this magic.

He looked at my hand, still clutched around the stone, then back up at my face, and resolve started to chip away at the anger. "If this is to be his legacy, small though it may be, then so be it. Only do one thing for me, and I will allow you to keep the necklace."

I nodded, setting the teacup down and folding my hands in front of me, doing my best to look as reliable as I wanted to be.

"Potter told me who killed my boy. As much as I am inclined to trust the Boy-Who-Lived, I find it difficult yet to believe one dead man helped bring another to life. If you will be gathering information on You-Know-Who's followers regardless, find out, if you can, whether Peter Pettigrew truly still lives, and if not, who it was Potter mistook for him. Find the one who killed my son—" He choked briefly, then resumed in a low, tight voice. "—and bring me to him so I can put him down like the rabid beast he is."

"I'll do my best," I said again, and he nodded wordlessly. I didn't think I was really supposed to be taking sides, as such, but, I mean, the man in question was clearly a straight-up murderer. I wouldn't be losing any sleep if he got what he'd earned.

---

I'd gotten most of my cheer back as I reached the apothecary, dancing up to the idle proprietor and proudly depositing a pristine berry on the counter.

"Hm." He actually felt and sounded mildly impressed, although he just waved me off to the side. "Well, hang about for an hour or so and get familiar with what I sell. If this is the same one, it'll be clear soon enough."

"Hey! I wouldn't cheat."

"I'd hope not, but I don't know you yet. Go on."

I huffed and started doing as he asked. I did need the money. He sold an astonishing variety of ingredients, half of which came from creatures and plants that I wouldn't have believed existed until recently. Some of them were labeled with clear warnings not to touch them with bare hands, or not to bring anything warm near them, or to only move them slowly, and in a few cases not to touch them at all and just ask the owner. I paid the most attention to the ones with warning labels, since they'd probably be the ones I'd get called to handle, but I did my best to memorize the names and appearances of some of the less recognizable ones as well. Witch-land was a crazy place.

After a while, I wandered back over to the counter; the berry was already a putrid, mushy mess. I dunno why he knew a spell to make things rot faster, but apparently he did.

"It seems you have a job," he said, with about as much enthusiasm as he did anything, and held out a hand to me. "I am Henry Jigger."

"Alaine Ross," I said as I took it, not bothering to hide my grin.

"You're muggleborn, yes? Have you used the Floo before?"

"Don't know what that is, sorry."

"I assumed as much. It's a method of travelling through fireplaces; I don't keep one in the shop for obvious reasons, but there's a public hearth at the Leaky Cauldron. Just throw in a pinch of Floo powder, step in, and clearly state the name of your destination. You'll be using it for some deliveries."

"Sounds simple enough."

"Of course, I'll have to get the word out first. There are certain ingredients I generally refuse to deliver; I'll need to advertise that I can now, some sort of summer special. I suppose it'll give me an extra advantage over the lesser apothecaries. Until I have something for you to do, keep yourself available. Learn the inventory well enough and I might let you help show people around."

I nodded; if I put enough effort in he might give me a little money even when there weren't any deliveries. "I can do that."

He shrugged and muttered "At least you can't be worse than billywig boy..."

---

I got used to the new routine fairly quickly. Sleeping in parks and downtown wasn't nearly as worrying when I could hide in the top branches of a tree or on a roof. Wasn't super comfortable, but at least it was safe. My fairy magic handled more than I'd initially realized; it didn't just keep my clothes clean, I didn't need to shower or brush my teeth either, which was good because I don't know how I'd have managed to. Still kind of missed the feel of a nice shower sometimes, but it was a small thing.

Jigger paid me a handful of knuts for a delivery; not much, as he'd warned me, but I generally got two or three a day, and it kept me fed. (Encouraged by the tea, I'd given the pub food a try; it wasn't half bad, and one meal a day was enough for me.) No one had asked where I was staying, which I was grateful for. And I was getting a feel for the greater scope of witch-land, too; most of the folk who lived in the country had their own Floo connections, and occasionally one would be feeling lazy or sick or something and order a delivery, but more often I'd get sent up to a smaller town with a public fire, or an entirely magic village by the name of Hogsmeade that was right near the school I'd be attending. It was a pretty place, a small central area that was like a miniature version of the Alley surrounded by houses in a variety of styles, some of which were clearly only standing with the help of magic. Like the one where the first floor jutted out ten feet past the ground floor on one side with nothing to hold it up.

Today was special; I was heading all the way to the school itself. The 'first time I was truly earning my keep,' according to the apothecary, who'd packed up a handful of ingredients I'd never seen before with enough ginger care that he hadn't even allowed me to pick them up before pulling them into pocketspace, adding a larger parcel of apparently-less-volatile substances to go along with them.

"Normally I don't let half of those out of the back room. Don't hand them over like a normal delivery; put them carefully on a flat surface, same as you picked them up. If it weren't my second-best and most-troublesome customer ordering, I wouldn't even consider it, but apparently he can't leave his lab long enough to pick them up and he's paying a premium. Get them there in good condition and you'll earn your share of it; ruin them and you'll be working for free for the next four summers. Clear?"

"Yep!" I grinned up at Jigger, who wasn't as worried as he sounded; I liked to think I'd proven my reliability.

"I'm serious, brat," he said with a scowl, leaning his elbows on the desk. "Bring them to the Potions Master at Hogwarts, Severus Snape. You won't be able to Floo directly to the castle; you'll have to walk from Hogsmeade."

It was actually a fair distance; once I got out of the Three Broomsticks and looked up at where the tops of the castle's towers showed above the trees, I promptly decided to skip the trail entirely and perched on the edge of my mirror to float above the treetops. I got a few weird looks (witches preferred brooms, apparently), and it wasn't significantly faster than walking, but it was a lot more comfortable. And the castle was really pretty once I got close, a collection of sturdy walls and mismatched towers perched atop the mountain like a crown. Not a very jewelled one—there were a few banners with what I assumed was the school's crest, but it was mostly grey stone—but intricate and foreboding in a way the ruins scattered about the countryside really couldn't match.

I set down outside the gates, a little wary as I remembered Boss saying they couldn't go in without being invited. It wasn't supposed to apply to me, but I was technically lying about what I was, and I couldn't help but worry someone would notice. They were a long way from the castle proper, as well, and the extensive grounds didn't feature any obvious residents.

Feeling a bit silly, I knocked on the gates, then jerked back as a tiny, goblin-like creature, all floppy ears and giant eyes, appeared in the space of a breath on the other side.

"Miss is visiting Hogwarts?"

"Um, yes. I have a delivery for Master Snape."

The weird little thing nodded, gesturing at the gates as they swung open. "Potions Master has said he is expecting apothecary Miss. Mully will take you to him."

"Thanks." I breathed out a quick sigh of relief as I passed through the gates without incident. I hadn't really been worried they wouldn't accept me, but, well...

Whatever. I technically hadn't been invited, and I was inside anyway. Mully the weird-goblin-thing led me up to the main gates (and wow, the entrance hall was huge), then down a side hall and several short staircases until we were somewhere well underground, chill, dry air setting my skin to prickling after the muggy summer heat on the way here.

I'd seen moving pictures in the papers I read in the pub, trying to make sense of the hidden world, but this was the first time I'd seen so many animated portraits. A couple of them even called out greetings as we passed, although the medieval alchemist next to the door we stopped at was far too absorbed in his own, rather dodgy-looking work to pay us any attention.

"This is Potions Master's office. Call Mully again when Miss is leaving." With that, she bowed low and vanished.

Weird, but polite. Left alone in the dim hallway, I shrugged and knocked on the door.

"If that's the apothecary, come in. If not, don't bother me," came the curt reply from the other side.

Well. Good thing he was expecting me, I guess. I pushed open the door, finding a tidy but clearly very-much-in-use laboratory, a black-haired man in sturdy work robes who looked in dire need of a shower bent over a cauldron at the other end. "Hello! Where do you want the ingredients?"

I felt a bit of surprise from him, but he didn't visibly react. "Lay them on the table," he said without turning around. "Wait four minutes, I will need to inspect them for quality."

"Yes, sir." Mindful of their fragility, I eased each package out of pocketspace with both my hands holding it just above the table's surface, leaving a fair bit of space between them to allow for unwrapping. (See, Jigger, I do pay attention when you complain about 'suppliers with no respect for their customers,' and 'ineptitude of the sort I ought to demand a bonus for dealing with.') That done, I stepped back to watch him work.

He was stressed, irritated, disdainful, just a tiny bit afraid, and yet all of that was somehow pushed to the side by utter intent on his work. It was clearly a very delicate subject, potion-making; I hadn't really seen any of it yet, for all that it was the main purpose of most of what we sold, and in a way, I supposed I was lucky for that first view to be of someone responsible for supplying the entire school. With the way he deftly cut and ground ingredients, dropping them in at intervals even I could tell were deliberately rhythmic, it almost seemed to be some weird mix of music and cooking. He stirred it with his wand, too, small, precise motions that were probably meaningful. Somehow.

I wasn't sure whether it had actually been just four minutes by the time he left the potion, now a brilliant scarlet, to sit and turned to face me, but I wasn't about to comment. He was rather intimidating face-to-face, his hooked nose, dead black eyes, and unhealthy complexion making him resemble a gargoyle, and if I weren't absolutely sure I hadn't screwed up any of the ingredients I'd have been starting to worry about what he'd do to me if he found fault.

"I was unaware Jigger employed small children," he said with a delicate sort of disdain.

"I'm almost eleven," I protested; come to think of it, I'd have to think up a fake birthday at some point.

"More's the pity. Stand back."

I rather thought I was standing back, but retreated nearly to the door anyway as he pointed his wand at each package in turn, the wrapping undoing itself so he could inspect a shimmering opalescent powder, a great horn suspended in the air by metal clasps, a few frozen eggs (those, at least, I recognized; Ashwinder eggs from the normal stock), individually bottled glowing red ferns, and several more.

"Shockingly," he said, not sounding shocked at all, "this is all in order. Perhaps I will have one more student this year who will not injure herself handling delicate ingredients... but I shall not hold out hope."

I met his gaze as firmly as I could. "I'll do my best, sir."

He looked me up and down, expression unchanging. "And yet so rarely is that true, and even less often does it amount to anything of worth." He waved his wand in the direction of a back door, summoning a glittering coin which he tossed to me. "Now let me get back to work."

I stared at the golden coin in my hands for a few seconds until his spiking irritation jarred me loose from my surprise and I ducked back out the door. Just how valuable were those ingredients? And perhaps more relevantly, what the heck could he make with them?

Maybe I'd have to ask Jigger if he knew what the school books were so I could budget for a couple supplementary ones. If he was preparing fancy stuff for the school 'cause the You-Know-Lord was back, it might tell Boss something useful.

Last edited:
First Impressions
Apparently, witches didn't do public libraries. The school had an amazing library, it seemed, but I'd have to wait until September to make use of it. Jigger did have a copy of One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi; he used the heavily-marked-up index as a supplier catalogue, and didn't mind me browsing through the rest when there were no deliveries to be made. And his uncle, as it turned out, had written the introductory Potions textbook the school was currently using, but he didn't have any lying around, and it'd been long enough since his own school days he wasn't going to guess at the rest of the booklist.

That brought up the question of how I was supposed to find out, but he explained that every witch and wizard was automatically registered by the school when their magic was first detected, and I ought to receive my introductory letter and list of supplies by post by the end of the month. I wasn't technically a witch, but I thought I'd been faking it well enough. Automatic detection, though?

At least I had a definite timetable now. If I hadn't received a letter by the time August rolled around, I'd need to start working on alternate plans for sneaking into the school. Heck if I knew what those were supposed to look like, though. Something to poke at in the back of my head, I guessed.

I'd been practicing wand magic, too. Using a wand was slower and less efficient than my mirror; it was like I was pushing the emotions through a filter instead of just letting them flow out with my breath. I hoped Ollivander had been right, and it was only a matter of time before it 'learned' to accept fairy magic, but I couldn't shake the suspicion that this was an inevitable punishment for trying to fake being a witch at all.

Whatever. It worked, that was the important part. Cheerfulness gave me different kinds of little lights. I could use sorrow to make things heavier, although I hoped that wasn't all there was to it. I was loathe to waste what little pure joy I'd managed to gather practicing, but the deliciously light flavour, like perfectly prepared custard, meant I had no qualms about greedily sucking it in wherever I found it, so I'd hopefully have enough to experiment with eventually. Excitement was a lot like an adrenaline rush when I sent it at myself, and irritation was a bit abstract; it let me push things away. A lot of emotions just weren't regularly present in large enough quantities for me to pull in; I figured I might have more luck working backward from whatever my books ended up saying I needed to do, then seeking that emotion out deliberately.

It was the middle of July before I got two solid results, in quick succession, on what Master Snape might have been brewing. (Jigger didn't trust me enough with the back-room stuff to even talk about it, and when the book said it had a thousand entries, it was not joking.) The glowing red ferns had been Amphibulae and thus discovered early, but their uses were apparently varied enough I wasn't getting anything useful there without an actual index of potion recipes. Brandy blossoms were apparently a wonderful addition to the distillation process, but that probably wasn't what he was using them for. However, the entry for bluebells mentioned that when harvested from a grove where a unicorn had been born, they made an important ingredient, along with powdered unicorn horn, in 'Veritaserum,' an almost absolute and very creepy truth potion. When I remembered there had been bluebells in the package, I pestered Jigger about unicorns until he let slip that powdering the horns he kept behind the counter without destroying their purity (and thus value) was difficult enough he made a tidy profit from it, and the opalescent sheen of the intact horns matched the appearance of the powder I'd delivered. Apparently getting captured by the other side in witch-land meant you were spilling your guts whether you wanted to or not, at least if they had money to burn. Melt. Whatever. And some of the more common ingredients I'd delivered in bulk made up a Blood-Replenishing Potion. Knowing that they expected things to get literally bloody was not reassuring.

I figured that warranted a report to Boss, and spent a couple of my precious coins dropping one off with the post office in Hogsmeade the next time a delivery took me up that way. An owl dropped her reply, written in tiny print I could barely read, on my head a couple days later.

Not bad for being on summer holidays. I'll expect a letter every two weeks once you're at school, though. Dismissed.

...wasn't it kind of silly to write 'dismissed' like we were talking in person? I mean, I hoped she wasn't somehow watching through the parchment; my reaction to the letter landing on my head hadn't been entirely pleasant.

At least she wasn't unhappy with my work so far?

---

Dumbledore No Longer Supreme Mugwump was the news story I ate my scones and jam to one morning; there was one old wizard who always left his paper on the table I'd gotten in the habit of sneaking in after. (Excepting, naturally, the thankfully infrequent times when he threw it on the floor and set it on fire after reading.) It had caught my attention first for my having no clue what a 'mugwump' was, and halfway through I'd remembered Dumbledore was one of the names I was supposed to be informing on and gone back to the start to read it more closely.

The venerable Albus Dumbledore, once the shining light of reason we entrusted our children to as Headmaster of Hogwarts, has this past day been removed from the position of Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards after losing the faith of the Ministry in his ability to maintain the principled neutrality required of that esteemed position. Ministry personnel speaking on condition of anonymity insisted that while Dumbledore was once a great man, his age has been catching up to him, and he has been showing signs of suffering from dangerous delusions, possibly brought on by his experiences in Grindelwald's War.

"He's jumping at shadows, seeing Dark wizards where there aren't none. Why, just yesterday he gave a speech! Right improper, if you ask me; that sort of thing's just not done."

Another insisted that despite appearances, this was not a snap decision on the part of the Ministry.

"Oh, this has been brewing for a while. Maybe Dumbledore's still living in the world of ten years ago, but things have changed; the Minister doesn't appreciate being hounded with unsolicited advice on how to do his job."

It is well known that the Mugwump's duty is to moderate debate, not inflame it. One is left to wonder: is this newfound desire to take an improper hand in politics something the Headmaster will attempt to continue through his students, now that more exalted chambers are denied to him?

On the one hand, if he really was going senile, that would make my job a lot easier. On the other hand, he apparently ran the school I was supposed to be attending, so I'd probably be better off if he were competent. On the magic mirror-wielding hand, if He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Lorded was skulking about, he might be so batty he looped back around to being saner than the rest of them. Witchy folk, honestly.

The other target Macnair had given me showed up in the papers a bit, too, but it was only ever offhand mentions, never about anything he was actually doing. Harry Potter, the Boy-Who-Lived (through what I still didn't know), apparently had rather a big head, and that was about all I could tell of him.

The rest of my reading was interrupted by a tawny owl hooting loudly at me from the other side of the table; I nearly spilled my tea when I looked up to find its massive eyes two feet from my own. Even the bloody letter-carriers were getting in on it now! This one, at least, was polite enough to just hold its leg out with the attached letter instead of dropping it on my head.

At the sight of the fancy H stamped on the wax seal, I felt several days' worth of tension drain out of my shoulders. It had been getting perilously close to the end of the month. Slitting it open with my jam knife, I skimmed past the formalities to find a notification of my acceptance, a request for a prompt reply, and a list of school supplies, followed by a small note: Book lists will be distributed once they are finalized. Hogwarts apologizes for the inconvenience.

...the one thing I really wanted from the letter... aside from the relief of not needing to plan a way of sneaking onto the enrollment lists, anyway. That was good. (I hadn't had a single workable idea yet.) I supposed there was nothing for it, and went digging through the junk shops until I'd shoved a slightly dented cauldron, a set of only mildly scratched glass phials, tarnished but otherwise pristine brass scales, and the ugliest telescope I'd ever seen (what even were those little cloud-riding imps?) into my pockets. The scales cost me the most; I couldn't help knowing how fickle a dodgy set could be, given where I worked, and I'd have gone straight for new if I wasn't expecting my books to cost me all I had left and maybe then some.

I wanted a cat; I didn't feel complete as a witch without a loyal black cat to do my bidding. I almost certainly couldn't afford it, though, and the feeling of foreboding I got every time I approached the door of the Magical Menagerie sealed the deal. Maybe next year?

---

"Oh, here's a fun one for you," Jigger said one afternoon in early August, his tone suggesting a certain lack of sincerity. "Squib wants some supplements for her cats."

I looked up from the G pages of the herbalist's compendium to find him reading a letter written on ordinary paper instead of the parchment I'd been trying to get used to. "Is it safe for cats to eat, uh, anything in here?"

"They're part-kneazle, apparently. Fair bit smarter than normal, enough magic in them to benefit from a few things. Knotgrass, grindylow bone meal..."

"Sounds nice. So... what's a Squib?"

"Muggle born to magic, more or less; opposite of muggleborn like yourself. Although I suppose you might not quite count as one."

At least he took my 'fairy blood' seriously? That had to be horrible, though, growing up thinking you were magic and finding out you'd never get it.

He shrugged, shaking back lanky hair as he began to pack the order. "In any case, she lives deep in Muggle territory, so you're going to want to blend in. You do have Muggle clothing, I hope?"

"Sure." It didn't quite exist yet, but that wasn't a problem.

"And you'll want to hide that hair. Kerchief or a sunhat or something. Muggles don't get colours like that."

Well, the more delinquent ones kind of did, but he was probably right that it generally didn't look as natural or even as my pale mint fairy hair. (It was apparently subject to the same rules as the rest of me, and hadn't grown even a tiny bit past its neat bob. If that meant I didn't have to worry about growing hair in other places when I got older again, I wasn't going to complain.) I sighed. "Yeah, I can do that." I guessed I could finally try out my human disguise. If I got stuck that way, I'd pester Boss with owls until she came back to fix it personally.

"Use the public fire at Whitmoor; you'll have to walk the rest of the way. She included a map." Placing it on top of the package, he passed it to me, and I waved my farewell as it disappeared into pocketspace.

I ducked into the girls' toilets at the Leaky Cauldron, making sure they were empty before tucking the little waist pouch of Floo powder I used for work into my pockets and shucking the thin, short-sleeved robe I'd come up with to handle the dry heat currently engulfing the country. Staring into the mirror, I took a deep breath. I was used to fairy magic now. I knew what I was doing, and Boss would have warned me if there was a chance of screwing it up. Focusing on being human, I saw my hair slowly lengthen past my shoulders and turn brown again, then my fairy outfit burst into a puff of short-lived pink smoke at the same time I was practically drowned in the shirt and jeans that I'd been wearing when I first met Boss.

Those hadn't been in pocketspace; I'd have noticed. Where did they even go? Grumbling to myself, I pulled them off—not difficult when they were falling off already—and quickly conjured a fitting pair of knickers, along with a boring, short, pleated grey skirt and a sleeveless white blouse, before inspecting myself more closely in the mirror.

It was still my face, more or less, but it'd been shifted just enough—a little thinner, higher cheekbones, a pointier chin—that it was a bit uncomfortable to look at too closely. Combined with the hair, Boss was probably right when she said people wouldn't recognize me like this.

I definitely felt less graceful, and I could tell my mirror was also missing while I was disguised, but I could still shove my ratty old clothes into pocketspace, even if it felt like pushing them through a straw instead of tossing them down a chute. Most disconcerting was when I realized I could hardly feel my reservoir of stored emotions. I could still feel the mix of cheer and contentment from the pub behind me, but pulling it in was impossible—as was pushing it out, even into my wand.

Well, it was only for a couple hours. I'd just have to get it over with. Refastening my Floo pouch, I returned to the pub and walked up to the fire.

"Whitmoor!"

---

So. Hot. Something about Diagon Alley seemed to... soften the weather a little; it was awful out here in the normal world. Or maybe it was just that I'd been walking for nearly two hours; I'd never been so glad I didn't get visibly sweaty any more.

Anyway, I'd finally found the right house, and stopped to take a drink of water from a bottle I'd begged off Tom before knocking on the door. The old lady who opened it felt stressed and irritated, but at least she didn't take it out on me.

"Mrs. Figg?"

"Yes, that's me. What is it?"

"I have your delivery here. May I step inside for a moment to take it out?"

She squinted at me before stepping back and nodding. Following her in and waiting until she closed the door, I was swiftly hemmed in by silently staring cats, their fur bristling. Feeling very uneasy, I squashed my desire to crouch down and pet one, pulling the box of 'supplements' out of pocketspace with some difficulty. "Here you are. I don't think your cats like me very much, so I should probably be going?"

"Never seen them treat a new person that way before." I could feel her growing suspicious, and tried not to make any sudden movements. She might not be dangerous herself, but she did have a solid dozen magic attack cats on standby. "Sorry, dear, but could you hold on a bit while I check and make sure everything's here?"

"Of course, ma'am." I waited in silence as she unwrapped the package by hand, revealing neatly packed bundles of knotgrass, jars of meal, and some other things Jigger hadn't bothered elaborating on.

After poking and sniffing at each of them a few times, she nodded to herself, then to me as she turned around. "Well, this all looks good. Thank you for coming all this way, dear." Mrs. Figg relaxed. The cats didn't.

"You're welcome." Nothing for it, I guessed...? Crouching down, I slowly offered the back of my hand to the nearest magic cat between me and the door. "Sorry, kitty, but I have to leave now. I don't suppose you could let me out?"

A paw lashed out, I yelped and jerked back, and as though it were a signal, the cats haughtily stalked off into the next room as I sucked on my bleeding knuckles.

Mrs. Figg looked conflicted. "Sorry about that; they don't like being condescended to. Hold up, I'll get you a plaster."

Pulling my hand away to have a better look, I winced at the stinging cut but waved her off. "It's fine, it's pretty shallow. Gotta get back to work anyway." And out of that house before the cats decided I was taking too long and came back for more.

Licking the wound until it stopped bleeding, I made my way slowly in the direction of the public fire. I hadn't gone far, though, when I was distracted by a cloud of despair in the distance, slowly wending its way closer. My spine prickled at the uneasy feeling; I'd never felt someone's emotions at that distance before. If it was significant enough to catch my attention—and it couldn't be a whole mob of people, given how quiet the neighbourhood was as evening fell—then the only thing I could think of that would resonate that strongly was, well... if someone were on their way to end it all.

I really hoped I was wrong, because I had no idea what I was supposed to do about it if I were right, but I couldn't just leave them; I changed course to meet them partway. Maybe I could just... talk to them? Be friendly?

It was almost rendered moot when I turned down an alley and saw a scrawny, black-haired boy pull out a wand to menace a blond boy three times his size and five times as ugly. I'd been distracted, hadn't really been paying attention to the voices, but this was... weird. Hadn't Jigger called this place 'deep Muggle territory?' I mean, he was a wizard, so weird by default, but it was still a surprise to see a wand out here.

"Don't ever talk about that again, d'you understand me?" Definitely-A-Wizard said; the anger he was radiating almost drowned out the nearing cloud of despair, and I started strolling closer.

"Point that thing somewhere else!" was Maybe-A-Wizard's only reply, barely concealing terror.

Yeah, that was enough of that. "Hey, witchy-folk! What're you doing out here in the normal world?"

Definitely's head snapped around to focus on me; Maybe remained focused on the wand aimed at his heart. "What?"

"I'm just saying, if I saw this and thought it looked suspicious..."

"Don't talk about things you don't understand," he snarled, knuckles whitening as he gripped the wand dangerously tightly, but after a few seconds he jerked it back, Maybe slumping against the wall in relief.

Definitely eyed me uncharitably, the anger abated but far from gone. "I didn't think there were any other Wizarding families in Little Whinging."

"Oh, I don't live here, was just making a delivery. S'just, there's a... thing, over there, and I kinda need to—"

I cut myself off as the cloud of despair split, one half moving off to the side and the other heading straight toward us. A moment later the edge hit us, everything went pitch black, and I could finally feel its source properly.

"Shite, that's not a person!" It wasn't feeling despair, it was despair, and it was pushing the feeling on us. Goosebumps ran up my arms, and I rubbed them nervously.

"What are you doing? I can't see!" Maybe whined, if anything more scared now than when he'd been threatened.

"Shut up and let me listen!" Definitely said from right in front of me, then more quietly, "They can't be here..."

"What are they? Th-there's another behind me now. And the first one's getting closer." I was cold, and it reminded me of Dad #2, the streets of Manchester, a snow-white body encased in black....

"You can tell?" he replied weakly, then said "Lumos," red light pushing back the unnatural darkness.

Maybe, who'd been croaking protests, turned to run, collided bodily with a floating black robe, screamed and scrambled back in the wrong direction, staring two feet to the left of the creature.

"How do we g-get rid of them?" I got out through shivering teeth.

He replied with an incantation. "Expecto Patronum" gave one pause with a brief burst of silver, but it didn't do much, and he gritted his teeth; his own growing despair wasn't helping my attempts to fight off the horrible aura. "Need... something happy..."

Something... happy... I couldn't think of one. Stealing, running, broken bonds, more that never formed in the first place. But... I was a fairy agent. I focused on that instead, and pink burst out of me in another stabbing, tingling cloud, devouring my clothes againno no no, not here—and pulling me a few inches off the ground as the fairy outfit reformed and my hair went back to normal. Bright green eyes were staring at me, my misery spiking until I felt a sucking breath on the back of my neck and shrieked, darting behind the wizard who mostly knew what he was doing.

The creatures' attention shifted, and I nearly collapsed as despair poured into me through the suddenly open connection to my reservoir, filling it in seconds as I gagged on the taste of rot. Pulling out my mirror, I hacked out every bit of my precious gathered joy onto its surface and pushed it into his back, barely noticing a faint golden glow before my eyes closed and I fell to my knees.

The next thing I registered was the feeling of sudden relief and the taste of warm apple pie. Silver light flared even through my eyelids, and I risked cracking one open to see a stag of light and peace driving away the first creature, then turning back around to impale the second on its horns, driving it several feet back from the huddled form of Maybe. It turned to look back at us as the unnatural darkness lifted, and I felt so content I could almost forget the feelings of a few seconds earlier.

Almost. I got to my feet, looking up at the pretty eyes of the boy who'd saved us. I'd maybe gotten a bad first impression; I'd definitely misjudged him. I'd give a lot to never feel that way again, and he hadn't even hesitated to send his shield after the thing menacing the person he'd been threatening a few minutes ago. And, I mean, 'scrawny' had been uncharitable. He wasn't a bad looking bloke, just wearing clothes too big for him.

...including the shirt I still had a handful of. I released it with a start, stepping back. "Uh... I'm Alaine Ross. Thanks for saving me."

"Harry Potter," he said, sounding a little bemused. Also, wait, seriously? "What was that you did just now?"

I could feel my cheeks heating up as I recalled those few seconds shedding the disguise. "That was—I didn't know it would do that when it ended, I've never used that disguise before!" I babbled, nearly forgetting about why I'd used it in the first place. "I just thought I needed to blend in around here, it wasn't supposed to poof like that!"

"Er. I meant the spell you used to make it easier for me to think."

"...oh." I suddenly found it very difficult to meet his eyes. "That was, um. ...please forget about the other thing."

And that was when a cat I didn't recognize rounded the corner of the alley, followed by a stridently shouting Figg.

A For Effort
The cat lady hardly noticed me as she ranted about a Fletcher who was apparently supposed to be guarding Potter; her cat, on the other hand, didn't take its eyes off me as I scurried back out of the line of fire and conjured up a new set of normal clothing to cover my fairy outfit. Apparently Potter knew Figg, but hadn't known she was witchy folk; I was obviously missing a lot of context here, but I was supposed to be learning more about him, and anyway, he'd probably think rather poorly of me if I just slipped away like my instincts were pushing me to now that a responsible adult was here to deal with things.

Even if that would make it easier for him to forget seeing me naked.

"You, girl! What are you doing here? Did you see them too?"

"Ah, yes! He saved me from them."

"She helped too," Potter added, still looking rather off-balance.

"Only a little," I said, fidgeting under Figg's judging gaze. "I'm sure you could have taken care of them yourself without me there to distract you."

"Anything at all is more than I can do about them," she said firmly. "And who knows if there are more of them out there. Get that fat lump moving, we can't stay around here."

As Potter tried to get Maybe to stop wallowing on the ground, I focused on my emotion sense, a little spooked by the thought of more living incarnations of despair. "There aren't any more. Not nearby, at least. I didn't know what they were, before, but I could feel them long before they got close."

"Well, we may be damned anyway, but if that's true, at least we won't be Kissed." The old lady was still anxious, though, hustling us along even as Potter struggled under the weight of the much larger boy, who didn't seem up to much of anything at the moment. I wanted to help, but I was way too short to take the other shoulder; Maybe might have been fat, but he was pretty large in the other dimension, too. And I didn't have any way to make him lighter; joy might have been able to do it, now that I thought about it, but I'd just used up every drop I had.

The vast majority of my reservoir was full of despair, at the moment; I hadn't wanted it, and I wanted rid of it, but now really wasn't the time to be experimenting. It wasn't that I actually felt the emotions I had stored; it just seemed somehow wrong to have that much of an unpleasant emotion inside of me. Like a wrong move might have it burst and overwhelm me.

Partway back, we were interrupted by what turned out to be Fletcher popping out of midair in front of us and immediately attracting the entirety of Figg's attention; he was clearly the, well, me to her cat for all that he was the magic one. (The actual cat was still glaring at me, the git.) He was nearly about to leave again when Figg glanced at me.

"And pop the girl to Diagon on the way. Bad enough you left Harry unguarded, let alone getting someone else involved!"

"'Ere, 'old up, Figgy, it's been a while since I Side-Alonged anyone, and Diagon's..."

...yeah, that didn't sound safe. "I can walk back to Whitmoor. Or fly, once it's dark enough." I didn't really want to risk running into another one.

She just brandished her bag at Fletcher, all but ignoring me. "You are not leaving a little girl to walk home alone when there are Dementors about!"

"I get it, I get it! Whitmoor, that's close enough, should do."

"Er, really, it's—" I held out a hand to ward him off, but he took it instead, and everything went briefly black as I was pulled, contorted, squished, and compressed worse than when I'd been transformed, only to pop back into reality in a deeply shadowed area of Whitmoor Common.

Fletcher grabbed my arms while I was still disoriented, waving them up and down a bit. "Got all yer fingers and toes still? Good? Right, I'm off." And with another crack he was gone.

I did a rather more thorough check of myself once it sunk in that losing body parts was apparently a risk of Apparating. Everything was present and accounted for, but still. Next time someone tried to teleport me, I was running for the nearest Floo instead.

Cor, what a weird day. A quick glance around had me headed in the direction of the public fire and the stiflingly hot shack keeping its unseasonable presence shielded from normal eyes. Report the delivery, find some place to toss all this stored despair, sleep. I could manage that.

---

I was feeling rather conflicted the next morning. Despite my intentions, I still had half my reservoir full of the uncomfortable emotion, and I couldn't bring myself to throw the rest of it away.

It was just too useful. The dim cloud of mist it created hadn't seemed to do much at first, but then one of those bloody crows tried harassing me off my chosen rooftop again, hit the cloud, and abruptly slowed so much it couldn't keep airborne. (It, uh. It wasn't happy.) Thrown pebbles swiftly lost their momentum as well. And as long as I was out and about making deliveries, I felt a lot safer knowing I could slow down any more crazy magic monsters I might happen upon along the way.

Jigger had hardly believed me when I told him what I'd run into. Apparently Dementors were rather infamous among witchy folk, and they were even worse than I'd thought; if you didn't know that one apple-pie spell to drive them off and let them get their hands on you, they could literally suck out your soul. He at least said he wouldn't send me on any more deliveries to 'Muggle territory,' although I didn't know how much that would help; Potter had made it sound like they were really rare out in the normal world.

The huge brown owl that flew up to the counter that morning escaped my notice at first; it was only when it ignored Jigger and hooted at me in irritation that I looked up from my book. Who would be sending me a letter now?

Miss Ross,

I hope you are well after last night's encounter, and I thank you for your aid, however small you claim it was. However, as much as it pains me to involve one so young in the matters of adults, I am afraid I must ask another favour of you.

Mr. Potter has been charged with offences against Wizarding laws for the spells he cast to defend against the Dementors, and the matter of his innocence is to be heard at the Ministry this August 12th​ at 9am. It would be appreciated by both of us if you were to attend and tell the committee what you saw. I assure you that you are not in any trouble yourself, but your testimony could be very valuable to him.

Kindly send your reply with this owl.

Albus Dumbledore
Headmaster of Hogwarts

Wow. He certainly didn't sound barmy. And seriously, Potter actually got in trouble for driving those things off? How was that even remotely fair? "What the bloody hell is wrong with the Ministry?"

"Language, brat," was Jigger's languid reply. "You're too young to be complaining about the government, anyway; what's got you up in arms?"

I slid the letter across the counter in reply and folded my arms, watching his eyebrow slowly creep upward as he read.

"Alright, I'll give you that one. Suppose if Albus bleedin' Dumbledore himself believes they were Dementors, the boy's in the right this time."

A flash of offence twisted my lips. "He's not at all like what the papers say, anyway. He protected me without even thinking, and a boy he didn't like, too, and afterward he was nice. He even said I'd helped out, and I know I didn't do much!"

Jigger just sighed. "Fame goes to everyone's head in the end, girl. Give it a bit, you'll see."

"Hmph."

"Don't give me that look. You want the morning off to go testify, don't you?"

I let my arms fall. I owed him for saving me, and it was absolutely what Cedric would have done, and even without all of that I wanted to anyway; no way was it fair for him to be punished for doing the right thing. "...yes please."

"You've got it, then. You can Floo to the Ministry of Magic; don't worry about the powder, it's only the once."

"Thank you!" I tried not to grin too widely; I got the feeling that if Jigger knew I could detect even the small amounts of pity and gratitude he was concealing as he leaned lazily on the counter, he might just retract his offer out of embarrassment.

"Save your thanks until you've dealt with the Ministry in person; you might regret them yet."

---

Work continued in a much calmer vein in the week leading up to the hearing; despite my worries, I hadn't run into any more unexpected monsters on my deliveries. The morning of the hearing, I was lounging in the upper branches of a tree down the street from the Leaky Cauldron, trying to just relax so I wouldn't sound nervous and untrustworthy when the time came; the theatre across the road had a convenient clock to keep me on track. It occurred to me, as I adjusted my formal black robes to hang more comfortably over the thin branch currently bearing my weight, that I might perhaps be getting a little too used to relying on fairy magic to keep my clothes and hair looking pristine. (But then, it wasn't as though I was likely to ever be without it, so what did it matter that I abused my immunity to sticky sap and stray leaves?)

The clock chimed half past eight, and I figured I might as well get going. Floo travel was nearly instant, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did take me the better part of half an hour to get through the bureaucracy. Slipping from branch to branch with an ease that didn't suit my heavy, flowing clothing, I dropped the last several feet to the ground, startling a few passing pedestrians. Nothing to worry about; no random Londoner was going to connect one girl in weird clothing to a gate to a hidden witch-land. Slipping into the pub, I took a moment to fix my posture before stepping through the fire and into the seat of magical government.

I have to admit, it's a good thing there was no one coming through behind me. I had vague memories of visiting Westminster when I was younger, and while the Ministry building didn't quite match up, it might yet, given that this was apparently just the entrance hall. The floor and walls were all dark panelled wood that was far shinier than it had any right to be, and the ceiling was covered in moving golden writing—nothing I could read, but it made for pretty decoration nonetheless.

Actually, if anything, there was too much gold in this place. The Floo hearths, the big statue in the fountain, the ceiling... it was bordering on gaudy. Maybe just because there weren't many people here at the moment to break up the colour; there were a few running about, but it was a fairly sedate place, all in all. Shaking my head, I made for the first official-looking desk I could find, which turned out to be labelled 'Security.' Good enough.

"'Scuse me, I'm here to testify at a hearing?"

The bored, fuzzy-chinned wizard leaned over the desk to look at me; I grimaced at the pointed reminder of how short I was now. "Stand there." He waved some sort of golden rod around me, took my wand and weighed it on a magic kitchen scale that could apparently tell what it was made of, and returned it, before bothering to ask where I was actually headed.

"It's a hearing for Harry Potter, about using magic on some Dementors."

The security wizard's eyebrows shot up at that, and he looked down at his desk. "Think you're late."

My stomach twisted, and I clamped down on the urge to shout. "It's supposed to be at nine."

"Was." He tapped at something I couldn't see but assumed was a schedule of some sort. "Changed this morning."

I grabbed the edge of the desk, pulling myself up on tiptoes to see what he was pointing at. "What—why didn't you tell me?"

He shrugged. "Not your hearing. Not our fault Potter didn't pass it on."

That made no sense, Dumbledore had asked me to come in the first place, made it sound like it was important, even, why wouldn't he tell me the time had changed? He could've... come...

Unless he hardly had any time, because it was only changed this morning, and he couldn't find me because I never told him where I lived in my reply, what with not really wanting to admit that the answer was 'nowhere,' and instead of somewhere easy to find like the Leaky Cauldron I was up a bloody tree in normal London. Some gratitude that was.

Knuckles whitening as I gripped the edge of the desk far too tightly for comfort, I tried my best not to imagine everything going wrong because I'd decided to show up relaxed instead of early. And even that was pointless, as I was anything but relaxed right now. "Where is it? Maybe I can still make it in time!"

"Doubt it, but knock yourself out. Level Ten, Courtroom Ten. Lifts are over there."

I ran off as soon as he pointed me at them, filled with the need to find Potter and make up for my mistake, but just as I reached them, some instinct made me turn to the side. I took two hesitant steps to the left, and in front of me, the lift opened to reveal the boy himself, along with a thin, balding, middle-aged redhead who was clearly operating on too much work and too little sleep. Potter looked rather surprised to see me; he took a step out of the lift and stopped, uncertain. I could feel a mixture of relief and irritation from him; I hoped the former meant nothing bad had happened, but I could guess the reason for the latter well enough. Clasping my hands together, I tried to pre-empt him.

"I'm so sorry, the Headmaster said it was at nine so I thought half past eight would be fine, but they changed the time, and I wasn't in Diagon this morning, so I guess he couldn't find me, and I really should have thought of that or at least realized I didn't give him an address, I know this was important and I wanted to help—out—"

It was probably a good thing I ran out of air before I embarrassed myself further. His increasingly awkward look was covering a shift from irritation to confusion, and the forced pause gave him a chance to cut me off.

"Er, Alaine, right? It's alright, I got off. I didn't even know you were supposed to be here, actually; Dumbledore didn't say anything. And I nearly missed it myself; didn't know they'd changed the time until after we got here."

Uuugh, I could feel my cheeks burning again and I just knew it was visible. Honestly, I was such an idiot, he only barely remembered my name and there I was babbling away like he actually missed me. Was there just something about this boy that made me always choose the wrong thing to say?

I ducked my head, fingers twisting together. "I, uh, right... sorry."

"But, um..."

I felt a bit of gratitude from him, of all things, and dared to look up. He was actually smiling, and not in a 'laughing at the idiot' way either.

"...thanks, for, you know, trying to help out, even though we only met once and all."

The bloom of heat in my cheeks didn't go away, but it no longer felt quite so shameful. Maybe I wasn't completely useless today. "You're welcome." I still owed him, really, but I'd find another way to pay him back. Casting about for a graceful way to change the topic, my eyes fell on the man with him, who'd been watching us with mild curiosity and... indulgence? Something like that. "So, is this your dad?" They didn't look anything alike, of course, but the feeling seemed right. Could be a foster family.

"Oh, no," the man replied, laughing lightly. "Although I daresay I'd be proud to have him. Arthur Weasley, Miss...?"

"Alaine Ross. Pleased to meet you."

"Likewise. I'm afraid we really must be getting Harry home, though, and I need to get back to work myself. Perhaps you'll meet again at Hogwarts."

"Right, sorry to keep you. See you later!" Jumping on the opportunity for a non-awkward exit, I scurried away to the hearths and back to the Alley, pursued by a feeling of faint amusement.

Last edited:
Roots
The final weeks of August were ridiculously busy. Deliveries were actually significantly down, as every family with school-aged children was making a trip to the Alley for supplies anyway, but there were so many people in the shop Jigger actually let me show people around and sell the common ingredients that didn't need special handling.

It was also my first real interaction with witchy folk my own age, and the reactions were as varied as their looks. Some wore elaborate hairstyles that would take an hour to put together without magic, well-fitting robes, and looked as at home in the apothecary as the adults; some looked uncomfortable in their clothes, showed the world a defiant face and hid their resentment within; some wore normal clothes even in the Alley, uncaring of how they stood out; some were as excited to be here as I'd felt on my own first visit.

"Wow, your hair's green!"

"One bottle of pickled toads' tongues, please."

"Do you actually know what you're doing?"

"Ew! Bug eyeballs!"

"Did you get jinxed, dearie?"

"So... do you sell eye of newt?"

"Fifteen sickles for a sprig of nevergreen, what rubbish."

"Uh... help?"

I turned away from refilling the gillyweed stocks in a dim back corner to find a cringing boy with one arm raised, a bundle of unexpectedly lively snakegrass slowly winding its tendrils further about his extended hand. His sandy hair was flattened over prominent ears, the way it stuck out at the ends making him look a bit like a squashed mouse.

"Oh, geez. The sign says don't touch it with bare hands, you know." I looked about for Jigger, but he was occupied with three other customers at the counter.

The boy glanced to the side uncomfortably. "I thought it said knotgrass, and I know that's safe. Sorry. But I don't want to pull away too hard and hurt it."

I had to smile at that; how many people would be more worried for the plant than themselves? Still, I couldn't be seen to encourage carelessness in the shop; I planted one hand on my hip and sighed. "You're just lucky I reached the 'S' pages Monday." Snakegrass was native to marshy lands, and a distant cousin of the much more dangerous Devil's Snare; it preferred cool, wet weather, and had a tendency to curl up and hide beneath the waterline on clear days so it didn't dry out. Hence why it was in this unlit corner to begin with. Pulling my wand out of a formerly empty pocket, I focused some cheerfulness down the shaft and shaped it into a pair of warm, glowing orange spheres, which circled around the boy's hand and slowly chased the snakegrass back onto its shelf before winking out.

The boy was looking at me with wide eyes, slowly pulling his hand back as though not quite conscious of it. "Did you just cast that without saying anything?"

"Eh? Uh, is that bad?" I quickly tucked the wand away again, glancing around. Jigger wouldn't appreciate the accident even if I had fixed things.

"No, no, my dad said only older wizards could do magic without saying anything. Sixth and seventh years, I mean." His ears were turning pink as he edged away from the dangerous shelf, posture closed in on himself. "I can only just barely cast Lumos; I just got my wand earlier."

"Oh, that's, I mean, I can't really either." I waved my hands in vague denial, doing my best to brush it off. Bother, bother, this is why I wanted my school books earlier. How am I supposed to make it look properly witchy if I don't know what their magic's supposed to look like? Jigger is an adult wizard, and he doesn't need many spells in the shop anyway; he casts almost everything silently. I thought they only needed words for big magic! "It's just, you know, that one spell, it was easier for me. I'm sure your dad's right; who is he, anyway?"

The mention put him on slightly firmer ground; he stopped inching away, at least, even if he was still sheepish. "Tristan Abercrombie. I'm Euan."

"I'm Alaine Ross; good to meet you. The knotgrass is over here, come on, I'll show you."

"Ah, yes!" Euan dutifully trailed after me to the front of the shop. "You're starting this year too?"

I looked over at him again. Now that he mentioned it, I was actually slightly shorter than him; of course he wouldn't think I could be older than him. Stupid fairy body. "Yep, it'll be fun, I bet." The prospect of having to start seriously gathering information was a bit daunting, but one step at a time.

"Can you tell me anything? I don't have any older siblings, and Mum and Dad just say I should experience it for myself..."

"Nope, not a thing! I'm, uh, what was it, muggleborn? So all I know is plants from working here." I shrugged; better he didn't think I was anything special just because I faked a spell wrong enough to look impressive.

"Oh!" He suddenly looked and felt very uncomfortable as he turned away and fiddled with a clump of knotgrass. "S-sorry, I just thought, with your hair, you had to be...."

"Ah, that, heh..." Grinning, I poked his shoulder to get him to look at me and put a finger to my lips as I looked into surprised blue eyes from a foot away. "The reason for that's a secret, alright?"

"O-okay." He let out a strange little hiccup, then visibly firmed his features. "I'll... see you on the train, then?"

"Sure. Have a good day!" I waved as he approached the counter and returned to my stocking. There, see? I'm improving, I can get through difficult conversations without blurting out that I'm part-fairy. Granted, it was only another kid who's technically younger than me... but. Small steps.

---

It was the last day before we were supposed to leave for school, and I was hiding from an owl behind a piece of parchment.

The booklists had finally arrived; I was starting to think we'd have to go without. But with only one day for the entire population of the school to go shopping? I'd have to get to the second-hand shops right away before everything vanished; the normal bookstores were going to be madhouses. Everywhere was going to be crowded, and... huh. I'd get to find out what panic tasted like, wouldn't I? (It could be useful. You never know.)

Peeking over the top of the list, I found impatient, unblinking eyes still focused unwaveringly on my hands. I tried to edge around a shelf. The owl fluttered up and perched on top. I held up the booklist like a shield and sidled toward the front. It glided down to block the door. I considered, for a moment, the merits of leaping over it, then hastily reconsidered as it clacked a very sharp-looking beak.

"Why do you all hate me?" I whined, pocketing the booklist and replacing it with an emergency scone. When in doubt, give it food. The scone had bacon in it, that was close enough to a mouse, right?

The owl seemed to think so, snatching the corner I tossed it out of the air and letting me slip past on the other side while it tore it in two.

"Stupid pushy birds...." Grumbling, I dodged through the already-growing crowd and spent the next hour rummaging through the Alley's second-hand shops. My own copy of One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi was missing several pages; relatively speaking, only minor damage in a tome that size, but still, I hoped they weren't important ones. I found a copy of Jigger's uncle's potions book, covered in graffiti, that I could not buy, no matter how good the price; that one had definitely been owned by a boy. I did pick up passable copies of the books for magical creatures and history, and the theory text had a large tea stain but was otherwise readable; the transfiguration text was full of surprisingly artistic cartoons illustrating the spells described that had me giggling within seconds. The real treasure, though, was the book of basic spells; whoever owned it last had covered it in useful notes about how to make the spells work in slightly different ways, which could end up giving me some useful cover if I couldn't make them work the way they were supposed to.

As seemed likely.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a used copy of Defensive Magical Theory anywhere. Either it was so good no one wanted to sell it (unlikely), it was so bad even the junk shops didn't want it (not promising), or it had just been recently published (goodbye, money). Worst of all, I'd have to brave Flourish and Blotts to get a copy.

I gave a morose glance to my reflection in a nearby window as a rushed pair of shoppers practically flew by me and opened up a gap in the crowds. Just when I'd been feeling resourceful, and proud of my frugality and diligence over the summer leaving me with spare change, the world had to go rub in how I'm now the tiniest and least-suited person in the Alley to braving a crowd of adult shoppers in the busiest shop around. So I can go back to being penniless, probably.

Rubbing the heels of my palms over my eyes, I sighed, squared my shoulders, and dove into the shifting mob. Witchy folk weren't shy about pushing when they got too packed in like this; I guessed it was politer than using magic? Or they just weren't used to it; there weren't that many of them in general. I kept getting knocked back before I could make much headway, just too bloody light. It was awful; way too hot, stinking of sweat, crushing pressure on all sides... I focused on the taste of the crowd's emotions in an attempt to block out the rest; impatience and irritation made a dry blend, and... there, yes, a thread of panic. Of... nutmeg, of all things. If there was a connection there, I wasn't seeing it. Still, while the distraction helped with the unpleasantness, if it weren't for my fairy outfit, I think I might've been squashed before I reached the... entire... shelf... already half-emptied of copies?

Alright, fourth option. It was assigned to everyone in the school, and I'd just been too slow to find a used copy. And twenty-two sickles, ugh. It wasn't quite all my remaining money, but it was close enough I wouldn't be buying any extras.

Slipping past a pair of departing customers as I returned to the apothecary, I dropped bonelessly onto my stool next to the counter, leaning back against the wall and gazing out at the shop through half-closed eyes. At turns dusty and dank, a veritable forest of leaves, fangs, and feathers hanging from the ceiling, the contents of half a swamp in barrels nearer the ground, in places poorly lit, in others hard to breathe for the smell, shelves stacked to the ceiling with a poacher's dream, run by a man who balked at showing more than the bare requisite reaction to anything... damn me, but after only two months, I was going to miss this place.

"Oi, brat."

I tilted my head to look up at Jigger, hopping off my seat once I saw the foot-square wooden box on the counter. "Last delivery of the year?" I probably sounded more hopeful than appropriate; my coinpurse was feeling far too light.

"For once, no." He slid the box toward me, lifting the hinged lid just enough to show a selection of ingredients in individual compartments. "Enough for a few basic potions. Nothing expensive, but you've done well enough to earn a little bonus. Much better than I expected from someone your age."

Warmth bloomed in my chest, even as Jigger remained impassive. I could feel that he meant it, he wasn't just humouring me, and it felt so good to be treated as the age I was instead of the one I looked I didn't even try to stop the wide smile creeping onto my face. "Thank you!"

"Now this is a delivery," he continued, dropping a much heavier package onto the counter in the wake of my present vanishing into pocketspace. "Take it down the street to Mrs. Wake; she didn't want to take her kids into the mess out there today. You're free after that; go get ready for school."

I passed him the half-empty pouch of Floo powder in exchange for the delivery fee, pocketed the package, and hesitated, searching for words. "I... I liked working here. So, thanks for having me."

He snorted and waved me on, and I ducked my head and made for the door, only to be stopped on the threshold.

"Ross."

I turned back to him, blinking in surprise. I hadn't been sure he even remembered my name.

There was a hint of mingled pity and exasperation behind his lazy mien, but he felt as earnest as always. "Keeping you isn't a burden. If your situation hasn't improved by next summer, I'll take you back."

I smiled and nodded, relief stealing my voice, and slipped out the door with a final wave.

Integration
The platform where we caught the train to school was hidden behind a fairy door of sorts; I didn't know whether it had any connection to my bosses, or if it'd just been made in imitation of their work, but it only existed at specific times of the year, and only for a few hours. Still, it was surprisingly normal once you got past the barrier; the main difference, apart from the way people dressed on this side, was the bright scarlet steam engine, which immediately drew my eye despite the sky overhead having finally returned to its normal grey. I ducked inside a carriage straightaway; I'd chosen witchy robes for the walk to the station despite standing out in normal London, but the longer I lingered out in the crowd the more like an imposter I was going to seem. Better to stick with a few kids my own age at a time, to start with, now that I no longer had the cover of being a shop worker.

I'd arrived at the station early, so it wasn't hard to find an unoccupied compartment and claim it for myself; as I dropped onto a bench, though, the comfortable leather really underlined just how rich everything was compared to the last train I'd ridden. More dark wooden panelling, gleaming brass finishings, seats one could easily fall asleep in... the government had been one thing, Westminster was fancy too, but that witches could afford to spend this much on the train to school, well.

I mean, that the second-hand shops existed made it clear that I wasn't going to be the only poor student, but overall, magic definitely seemed to have a tendency to make people accustomed to luxury.

I glanced up at the still-empty luggage racks, hoping I'd made the right decision in skipping a trunk. I'd gotten way too used to pocketspace over the summer to have a hope of keeping it secret, and my pitiful remaining funds would have bought a holey, beaten-up old one at best, but I was still going to stand out. Still, if I had to pick one, it was probably better to stand out for pocketspace than for conjuring up my own clothing; the former could be explained away as accessing a hidden space or something, but the latter was very obvious magic that a skim of my first-grade spellbook (and its annotations) hadn't turned up any mention of.

Gazing out the window, I breathed in a heady mix of excitement and dread; the latter was surprisingly sparse for back-to-school day. I guess learning magic was pretty exciting even for people who grew up with it; there wasn't much regret or reluctance I could feel, either. I mean, for people who weren't me, people who had one set of parents they were properly attached to, I'd have thought going off to boarding school would be harder, but most people seemed pretty eager.

The door clacked open again, breaking my slightly morbid musings, and by the time I turned my head I was already looking at the back of a head of curly blonde shoulder-length hair as a girl, probably my supposed age, in light, short-sleeved, powder-blue robes pushed a trunk into the luggage racks with obvious effort but no lack of enthusiasm. I didn't expect much visible fitness from an eleven-year-old—my own final primary class had been either chubby or skinny, as a rule—but she edged toward that impression anyway.

She turned around as soon as she was done, crossing the compartment and dropping onto the bench right next to me, so close I had to stop myself from reflexively jerking away. Pale blue eyes, a thin nose, and a few light freckles were all I really registered at this distance. "Hi! I'm Katherine Hedges. What's your name?"

"A-Alaine Ross. Nice to meet you?"

"Yes!" Greetings complete, her casual cheer only intensified, and she made no attempt to change the distance. Now that my heart rate was slowing after the surprise, I didn't really mind, as such, it had just... been a while, since someone had willingly been that close to me, shoulders gently touching, and none of what I felt from her was really giving me an explanation for the personal space invasion. "You have pretty hair. Are you foreign?"

"No, I'm English." As far as I knew, at least; for obvious reasons, I didn't have much knowledge of my genealogy. I was English in every way that mattered, anyway. "I guess you're from a witch family?"

She nodded. "Mum is an Auror and Dad takes care of the house. He likes gardening." She tilted her head to the side, gaze briefly leaving mine to look me over again. "Does that mean you're not? You don't look like a muggleborn."

That was the idea, but I wasn't about to pretend otherwise when asked directly. Two months working in the Alley only made clear how little I knew about witchy folk. "I did try to blend in, but I am muggleborn, more or less. What's an Auror?" I asked, as much to distract her as out of curiosity; I had a vague idea of the profession from the papers.

"Dark Wizard hunters! They catch the criminals that are too dangerous for everyone else. Mum is awesome. It means she's always really busy, too, 'cause there aren't many Aurors. What about yours?"

...I really should have seen that question coming. I just... what did I even say? How could I explain my situation in a way that didn't invite awkward prying?

Jigger was going to hate me if he ever found out about this. "They're, uh, not around any more. But I learned a lot at the apothecary this summer."

"Oh. Sorry." A flicker of wariness, curiosity, then back to normal as she watched my face. "Do you like Herbology, then? I know some from helping Dad."

"Well... sort of? I mean, it's pretty neat, magical plants are a lot more interesting than normal ones, but I haven't tried growing anything yet. I've just been learning about how to handle them after they're harvested."

"I'm sure you'll be good at it at Hogwarts. Dad says most people hardly even try in that class, so the ones who care always get good grades."

"That'd sure be helpful." Any class where I didn't have to fake witchy magic to bring up my average would be. A clatter at the door drew my attention away from Katherine's too-close face, saving me from any potential need to elaborate.

"Oh, Alaine! Um, I mean, hello, is it alright if I sit here?" Euan didn't look any less like a squashed mouse than he had the last time we met, despite being in neat slacks and a crisp white shirt; he felt oddly relieved, like he'd actually been going out of his way to look for me.

I hadn't expected him to, but I didn't have any reason to refuse. "Hi Euan. Come on in. Why're you in normal clothes?"

He averted his gaze as he tried to drag a heavy, oversized trunk around the corner from the corridor. "We had to walk a while through Muggle London; Mum didn't want to draw attention. They don't suit me at all, do they...."

"Eh, they're not bad."

Katherine was almost bouncing in place next to me, but before she could interject, a tiny, short-heeled black boot appeared on the far corner of Euan's trunk and gave it a sharp shove, freeing it from where it had been wedged against the wall and sending him stumbling a step forward before he steadied himself against his luggage. "Uh, thanks?"

"You were blocking the corridor." The high, calm voice's owner came into view a second later, a girl nearly as small as me with delicate features and short black hair in a boyish cut. Like me, she was in school robes already. She took a quick look around the compartment before nodding. "Good enough. May I as well?"

That shove was a bit questionable, but since I couldn't feel any malice from her I was willing to give her a pass on the bluntness. Katherine took the decision out of my hands anyway, popping up from her seat to nod energetically. "Of course! I'm Katherine Hedges. Good to meet you!"

"Isolde Nott," she said, returning a much more graceful nod. "And you're an Abercrombie, right?"

"Ah, yes, Euan," he said, looking a bit off-balance.

"And I'm sure I wouldn't have forgotten you if we'd met," Isolde said, gaze flicking briefly up to my hair.

"Alaine Ross," I said with a small smile.

"Here, let me help you with that!" At Katherine's prompt, the four of us relatively easily shoved the two trunks up into the racks; she didn't hesitate in returning to her previous seat afterward, while Euan and Isolde maintained a more normal distance on the opposite bench.

"I can't help but notice there are only three trunks. Did one of you forget yours on the platform?" Isolde said with a pointed look at Katherine and I.

"Ah, no, I just have all my things on me." It was bound to come up eventually, and her skeptical eyebrow clearly demanded an explanation. I stuck my hand in my actual pocket, pulled out a spare robe as I conjured it, and tucked it back in.

Euan looked impressed, Katherine excited, and Isolde just confused. "You can't keep everything in expanded pockets, how would that work when you needed to wash your robes?"

"Well... they're not really in my pockets? It's more like a... personal space, I guess."

"I've never heard of that before." She felt mildly offended, although it didn't show on her face. "How does it work?"

That was a good question. "I don't actually know. It's kind of like an innate talent? It just works off of instinct."

Isolde frowned, amber eyes narrowing and fingers tensing like she wanted to clutch at the air. "How can you have something that convenient and not care how it works? You need to find out once we're at school."

"As long as it does work, it doesn't really matter how, right?" Euan offered tentatively, heels swinging under the bench.

"But I want to know."

"I'll help! It sounds interesting," Katherine said, lightly clapping her hands.

"I guess I can take a look..." I doubted we'd find anything, though. Fairy magic was close to witch magic, as far as I could tell, but pocketspace probably wouldn't be in their books.

Isolde settled her hands in her lap with a firm nod. "Thank you. Now that that's settled..."

---

The conversation turned to family as the train got underway. I already knew Euan was an only child, and apparently Katherine was as well, but Isolde had an older brother.

"Theo's in fifth year, but he still won't tell me how we're Sorted. Says it's tradition, and if he had to suffer through not knowing, so do I," she said with a petulant look.

"Sorted?"

"Into our Houses." She took in my blank look and frowned. "How do you not know this?"

I shrugged. "We only got our booklists yesterday. I didn't have any money for spares, and the only book I had to read over the summer was an herbalist's compendium."

I could feel her curiosity growing, but Euan inadvertently rescued me. "They're the dorms in Hogwarts. My parents were both in Gryffindor. I... want to be too, but I don't know if I'm...."

Katherine abruptly got to her feet and grabbed his hand in both of hers. "I'm sure you'll be fine!"

I couldn't see what kind of face she was making, although I could guess from the encouragement she was practically radiating, but Euan's wavering, halfway-panicked expression had me stifling giggles as he sat there in enforced silence.

"Or maybe not," Isolde said with a roll of her eyes.

Euan's eyes flicked from side to side, and I caught an upwelling of determination before he shifted a little straighter. "I'll do my best." It was a weak statement, but apparently enough to satisfy Katherine, as she let him go and tucked herself up next to me again.

I still wasn't clear on what this was all about. "So is it based on how well you do on a test, or something?"

"It's about what kind of person you are!" Katherine said brightly.

Isolde nodded. "Slytherin is cunning and ambition, Ravenclaw is wisdom and learning, Hufflepuff is diligence and loyalty, and Gryffindor is courage and self-sacrifice. It's how they tell that's the mystery."

Maybe it was like that Myers-Briggs thing we'd learned about in school last year... although that wasn't very magical.

---

Isolde's father was a member of the witchy Parliament, and although she didn't say it, I was getting the impression her family was old money. Euan's parents were enchanters, although his mother had apparently once been a professional athlete, which lead to a discussion of what Quidditch actually involved. I hadn't even tried parsing that section of the paper.

"It's brilliant!" Katherine waved her arms enthusiastically as she tried to convey the essence of the game, some unholy mix of football and rugby with brooms and cannonballs.

"It's chaos, is what it is," Isolde said sourly, swinging her feet. (Katherine was the only one of us whose heels reached the floor; we probably looked quite the silly group from outside.) "How anyone keeps up with it all from the middle of things is beyond me."

"You don't need to know everything, you just have to focus on the important things, and improvise."

"I've tried that. It's still impossible."

"You at least have a favourite player, right?" Katherine sounded so hopeful that Isolde's noncommittal shrug almost made me wince in sympathy with the tangible fall of her enthusiasm. "Euan? You must!"

"Ah, um, yes, Moran, probably. I don't think I'm good enough to play, but watching him at the World Cup last year kind of made me want to try."

"Ooh, yes, he's got a .63 scoring average, you know, he always seems to know exactly what he's doing. I like Leigh from the Harpies; she averaged seventeen intercepts a game last season." She turned to me, leaning forward slightly, her passion for her favourite sport shining in her eyes and tickling my tongue with something sharp that I thought might be alcoholic. "I'm sure you'll like it! There are games at school; first-years don't get to play, but we can watch them together."

That got a short laugh from Isolde, a sharp thing that effortlessly pulled my attention away from Katherine's proximity. "Unless you're Harry Potter. I was only seven and I still remember how much Theo complained about him getting on the team in first year."

"Oh, Potter plays?" Maybe I would go to a few matches...

"Apparently he's the best Seeker in the school, but that probably doesn't mean much."

---

A trolley clattered up along the corridor at some point, selling a variety of sweets; Isolde bought a whole handful, Katherine a couple Pumpkin Pasties, and Euan a few Chocolate Frogs. I took one look at the prices posted on the side and shook my head. "I'm fine, thanks." It wasn't as though I hadn't had breakfast.

"Don't you like sweets, Alaine?" Katherine asked as the woman started to move on to the next compartment.

"It's not that, although I've never tried witchy sweets; I just don't really have any money left." Bloody expensive textbook.

"Oh, then you can have one of these! They're good, I promise." Practically shoving one of the small pasties into my hands, she looked at me expectantly until I unwrapped it.

I took a tentative bite; it was essentially a more portable pumpkin pie, and I smiled back at her. "Thank you."

Euan was absorbed in studying the little cards that popped out whenever he unwrapped one of the surprisingly detailed frogs; other than the quality of the replica, they seemed to be just ordinary chocolate, so I assumed the cards were the main draw. Isolde had her mouth full of liquorice, and glared defensively at me when I looked over at her rapidly dwindling pile—although she still took the time to chew and swallow before saying anything.

"What? It's not like there's anything else to spend money on at school, not until Christmas, anyway. You can't even leave for visits until third year."

"Really? Even still, I've got next summer to worry about."

"You're saving your money for a whole year?" Isolde studied me, curiosity growing again behind narrowed amber eyes, but it didn't quite become words before she sat back, the feeling still simmering within her. "Has anyone ever told you you're a very odd person?" she asked, before popping a pale blue candy mouse into her mouth, the translucent tail dangling from her lips as she sucked on the rest with a thoughtful look.

---

Isolde nodded off halfway through the afternoon, the energy from the candy rapidly leaving her until she was leaning against the far corner, eyelids fluttering closed. Euan had slowly withdrawn from the conversation and eventually hidden behind his Transfiguration book, and Katherine had apparently taken Isolde's drowsiness as a signal to take a nap of her own, head resting on my shoulder. I hadn't felt like taking a midday nap since I was transformed, but under the circumstances... well, dozing off for a bit couldn't hurt.

I woke to an announcement that we'd be arriving in five minutes; Euan immediately dropped his book on the seat, stammered an apology, and went to stand out in the corridor. It took me a bit to catch on to his reasons, but once I did, I quickly shook Katherine awake and looked out the window while she changed robes. It was nearly dark out, and I couldn't see much other than forest and clouds. We swapped with Euan while he changed, something he did with alacrity, leaving a sleeve sticking obviously out from his trunk when we ducked back in.

The train finally pulled into the station, and now I recognized the slope outside, if vaguely; the station must be just outside Hogsmeade.

"First years line up over here, please!"

Katherine grabbed my hand and pulled me through the crowd of disembarking students before I could even locate the source of the voice among all the others; the others followed, and the elderly witch barking directions was soon surrounded by a crowd of eleven-year-olds radiating enough nervousness that I started pulling in the sour, salty emotion just because it was there. After a quick head-count, we were led down instead of up, arriving at a shallow beach where a number of oversized coracles were drawn up on the shore.

"Four to a boat, now, and carefully, if you please."

Well, that was convenient. Our little group climbed into the nearest one; I caught Isolde rolling her eyes as she took her seat and raised an eyebrow.

"Apparently someone actually fell into the lake last year."

Euan ran a hand over the weave testingly, putting a bit of weight on it as he leaned in, more curious than nervous. "Surely they would have balancing charms on them?"

I eyed his attempts warily, shifting my weight a little further back to compensate until Katherine put a firm arm around my shoulders and held me in place.

"I'm sure they're fine as long as we sit still."

"I was just balancing it out..." My voice may have been a bit petulant. It was awkward enough being chastised by a younger girl, and even stranger with the height difference making her feel older.

The professor called out a command to the boats once we were all settled, and they slipped almost soundlessly the rest of the way into the water and set off at a brisk pace across the lake. Hogwarts twinkled down on us from the other side, the hundred glowing windows a much more impressive sight than it had seemed in the daytime. The others probably hadn't seen it before at all; I wasn't surprised that there was little talk during the trip as we drank in the view.

Eventually we were delivered to an underground dock, escorted up the stairs to the massive entrance hall I remembered from my last visit, briefly delayed in a side chamber while the stern, black-haired Professor McGonagall gave us a slightly more detailed version of the Houses explanation I'd gotten earlier, and finally led into the Great Hall, where even whispered conversation was abruptly cut off by the weight of hundreds of eyes.

The Hall itself was probably the most impressive magical room I'd seen yet; five great tables covered in golden tableware were only the beginning. Countless candles floated in the air, and massive columns, flanked by imposing statuary with a level of detail made possible only by magic, held up a ceiling that almost seemed not to be there at all with the way it was an exact replica of the cloudy sky outside, complete with scattered patches of stars.

And for me alone, the gathered crowd was a feast perhaps more potent than any due to be served tonight. Anticipation and curiosity were paramount, but excitement and a thread of hostile disdain were also sharp enough for me to draw on in noticeable quantities. I devoted a portion of my attention to pulling in useful amounts of all of them, enough to fuel practice or be useful in classes, but the rest was quickly captured by the battered old witch's hat Professor McGonagall placed on a stool in clear view of everyone present.

It seemed the instrument of our doom was to be a singing hat.

Now, to be fair to the hat, it had a surprising amount of musical talent for an article of clothing, I'd already seen equally odd things (serpentine tape-measures deserved a mention), and it beat writing a personality test. But its song was clearly more than a recorded ditty, and the vague warnings of coming danger filled the hall with an undercurrent of unease even as the student body broke into applause. The Sorting Hat, at least, was equally as worried about the You-Know-Lord as the fairies were.

But it still had a job to do, and one by one, our names were called, and the Hat was placed on our heads, only to shortly shout out the name of our House. Poor Euan was called first of all, looking back at us for reassurance before walking up on wavering legs to the centre of attention. He got his wish, though; the shout of 'Gryffindor!' echoed through the Great Hall loudly enough to reach every corner despite the background murmurs. Katherine went to Hufflepuff, looking pleased, and Isolde took her seat primly in Slytherin, feeling a bit put-out when I focused on her. A bit disappointing that I'd be with only one of them at best; they'd already started to grow on me. But to be honest, I didn't have any idea where I belonged, so all I could do was leave it up to the Hat.

'Now what do we have here, hmm...' The tiny voice in my ear was clearly for me alone, the Hat working whatever magic it had to see what kind of person I was. I hadn't heard anyone else talking back to it, so I kept my peace as it had its look. 'No hesitation to act here, eh? But it's not bravery that drives you. And you hold secrets like a banker with an inclination to charity; no Slytherin for you. Well-used to relying on your own efforts, but it's duty pushing you forward, not pride. I do believe you'll grow best in...'

The abrupt shout of 'Hufflepuff!' in my ear startled me, and the stool wobbled dangerously for a moment, a few laughs mixing in with the obligatory applause. Pulling the hat off, I strode quickly over to where Katherine was very visibly making space for me at the table, sliding onto the bench next to her with a smile. At least I hadn't ended up all alone in Ravenclaw.

Free of the waiting, I joined my new house in applauding the rest of our year, and when the last of them was settled, the truly-impressively-bearded wizard at the head table, wearing the showiest robes I'd ever seen, rose to speak. Sitting where he was, and with the instant quiet he garnered just from the simple motion, this was obviously Headmaster Dumbledore himself. A man I was supposed to be spying on, a man I'd fluffed up a recent obligation to and didn't really want the direct attention of, and also a man who may or may not be losing his marbles. I supposed this was a good time to start finding out what he was like in person.

He beamed with genuine cheer as he spread his arms, looking for all the world like there was nowhere else he'd rather be and actually meaning it; it was the joy and contentment of someone at the height of their life's work, and I was honestly impressed.

Then he briefly bade us welcome, summoned the food, and drowned the moment in anticlimax.

Katherine apparently caught my slump as we turned back to the food, a veritable king's feast of roasts, pies, potatoes, and vegetables, spiced fit to set my mouth watering even though I'd had breakfast and lunch today.

"Is something wrong, Alaine?"

"Ah, not really, I was just expecting something... more than that?" I gestured vaguely at the Headmaster, who was already filling his own plate.

She looked up at where I was indicating, a flicker of confusion passing by. "He seemed very sensible to me."

"Aha, I guess that's true..." Defeated, I turned my attention to the food, picking out bits of the best-looking dishes. If I piled my plate like some of the other students at the table, I'd get sick for sure after two months of minimal meals. At least no one was outright stuffing their face, or talking with their mouth full...

Now that I noticed it, that was downright unusual. I watched some of the other first-years nearby, some of whom were chattering away but most of whom were occupied with the admittedly impressive spread. It took a few minutes longer for the two to intersect, and as a boy I vaguely recalled being a Weirbrook or something delivered a garbled reply through a mouthful of potatoes, sure enough, one of the prefects scattered among the younger years gently called him out on it.

My brow wrinkled as I picked at my meal. On the one hand, I didn't have fond memories of people policing my table etiquette. On the other, it didn't look like they weren't being that strict about it, and it meant not having to see the contents of anyone's mouth at mealtimes.

"Are you feeling alright there, Ross?" The unexpected words of concern came from a button-nosed blonde just across the table, the badgery badge with its emblazoned 'P' declaring that she was actually rather short for her age despite easily looking down at me.

"Yes...?" Either my confusion was showing or I wasn't convincing, as she offered a gentle smile.

"You're not looking very enthusiastic for the start-of-term feast, is all. I know I found Hogwarts very overwhelming when I first arrived, but it really is a wonderful place."

I nodded, smiling back. "It is very impressive. I usually don't eat very much, is all."

"I can tell! I'm Hannah Abbott, by the way, fifth year prefect. Most days aren't like the Welcoming Feast, but there's always plenty of food, so don't worry about taking whatever you feel like."

"Mhm." I ducked my head a little and took another bite. It wasn't like I didn't want to hurry up and grow up again... I just wasn't sure how much the food would really help. It was good, though.

Eventually even the desserts disappeared from the plates (I'd pocketed a couple in the initial rush) and Dumbledore rose to his feet again to give some more traditional announcements. There were apparently new teachers for Care of Magical Creatures (the woman who'd led us to the boats), and Defense Against the Dark Arts (a short, squat woman dressed as though she wished she were my fairy boss and a few decades too old to pull it off—and honestly, who wore a cardigan over witchy robes?). He went on to announce Quidditch tryouts, only to be interrupted by the professor he had just introduced—and I didn't need fairy magic to feel the shock that went around the hall at that.

Dumbledore played it off, sitting down and giving her his attention, but while he had a near-perfect poker face, I could feel the frustration and resignation coiling within him. Small things, but he did not actually like this woman and her speech was clearly unplanned. I shifted in my seat a little, studying Professor Umbridge as closely as I could.

As far as speeches went, I'd heard worse on the telly. Her sugary opening comments matched her outfit if not her looks, and she was actually a little disappointed at the lack of apparent enthusiasm from the student body, but the bulk of it was a long and tedious screed that sounded like it was written by a politician and delivered by an aging social worker. Despite my efforts, I was certain some of it went over my head, but there was a lot of emphasis on preserving the 'right' traditions, prohibiting dangerous and wrongheaded new ideas, and a great deal in the same vein that had nothing, as far as I could tell, to do with the subject she was teaching. In short, if I'd learned anything from Dad #3, she was a Tory.

Aaand also a government inspector, which was probably more important. I clearly wasn't the only spy at Hogwarts.

Last edited:
Back