Lieutenant Fusilier takes The King's Shilling (DRAFT 3)

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Taking another run at this. I wrote an outline this time so I now actually know where the story is going so hopefully it won't all fall apart again.

It'll start a lot like the last draft, but diverge rather quickly. Expect a lot of familiar scenes in new contexts until we clear Act 2
Chapters 1-2

open_sketch

#1 Transgender Pansexual Witch Bandit Wolf Girl
BEST SELLING AUTHOR
Pronouns
She/Her/Whatever

Foreword - From the Editor

Getting the Lieutenant Colonel to write about this chapter of her life was not easy, even though it was in many ways as pivotal a moment as her commission, not to mention the significant historical importance.

She offered a great many reasons for her reluctance; that it wasn't relevant (despite it covering the opening stages of one of the largest conflicts of the era), it was not flattered (no honest biography is), and that there might be legal consequences (I have been ensured by two lawyers the statute of limitations is long past for all potential criminal charges). Her talent for devising insurmountable obstacles is nearly admirable.

Thus defeated, she instead turned the full powers of her scrupulousness to throwing away perfectly serviceable drafts, a habit which continued until the Missus threatened to write her perspective on events. I am pleased to report this worked where all my efforts failed, and a good thing too. The representatives from the publishing houses were beginning to ask rather pointed questions.

Sergeant Miriam Page
Editor​

Chapter One - The Column

I couldn't hear it, there was no air for the sound to propagate through, but I could feel it. Reverberating through the ground, like an earthquake. Somewhere on our right, there was a massive plume of regolith thrown upward, rendered as an almost perfect half-sphere in the vacuum. A moment later, a wash of static crackled in my ear, and then a voice.

"Good Christ, what was that?"

I turned to see my counterpart from A Section, Lieutenant Miles Beckham, holding a hand to shield his eyes. Behind his glass helmet, I could see the sweep of messy strawberry blond hair and the perpetual scruff, his glasses gleaming against the sunlight. Despite the fact he was no more than five feet from me, his voice came through distorted and warped from the wireless. I squeezed the switch on my collar to open the channel.

"Mortar of some kind, I think," I replied. "Landed amongst the 28th, must have skimmed under their shield."

"Poor buggers," Miles replied, shaking his head. "Think that'll be them moving?"

"I'll go take a look," I said, taking a step back. Our view forward was obscured by a solid wall of soldiers in red coats and tall shakos, their muskets held at the ready and their radiator panels jutting out like sails, and it looked like I'd have to walk a fair distance to get to a gap in the line.

Instead, I squared up as best I could and jumped. In the reduced gravity and airless void, I shot straight up, maybe fifteen feet or so, holding weightless at the apex for long seconds.

The blasted moonscape unfolded ahead of me, rolling hills and craters of sharp grey, almost white in places touched by the sun and utterly black in the shadow. I could see our skirmishers a few hundred feet ahead, bounding in long, floaty strides across the landscape, their coats shifting back to grey to match the surroundings whenever they stopped moving.

I could see three pillars of dust getting closer over the edge of a steep dip in the ground.

Gravity, fighting valiantly against my push, reasserted itself, and I began to descend slowly. As I did, there were flashes against the twinkling lights above, our rocket artillery opening up behind us; their flames turned to simple points of red light in the vacuum. They sailed over our heads, their exhausts making the stars dance and twinkle, and winked out in the distance as their motors ran dry. A second later, there were many overlapping bursts high above the ground, intercepted by a mobile screen.

I landed softly back down to earth, dust billowing around me, feeling a slight twinge of pain in my knee. Another officer had joined Miles next to me, Captain Elenora Murray, who looked at me quizzically from behind her helmet.

"Well?" she asked, clearly a little amused by my unorthodox little flight.

"They're coming," I reported. "Three groups, it looks like, with shields covering at least one that I saw. Couldn't see them directly."

"About time. Best get to your sections. Good luck, everyone," she replied, and we parted, walking to our appointed places in the line. I fell in at B-section's flank, the far end of the 7th Regiment of Foot's formation, where the ensigns and our senior sergeant were waiting. As usual, Ensign Kelly was being a nuisance, hunting up and down the line for a gap he could see the action through. By contrast, Ensign Sumner was looking up at the stars, lost in thought.

"Ensign?" I asked, switching to the section channel with the twist of a dial.

"Wondering how high I'd go if I jumped like that," she replied. I gestured permissively, and she tensed and launched herself, maybe ten feet straight up, flailing a bit in the air before descending and stumbling.

Ensigns.

I waved the two of them to their positions and took mine next to the senior sergeant, who gave me a slight nod and shuffled to make some room so our rad-packs wouldn't clatter together. We couldn't speak; she didn't have a wireless, but she signed your screens. Wincing, I hastily thumbed the activation key on my gorget, the protective field of teal sparks leaping into existence. She unslung her weapon, a long wood-handled rifle, and switched on the capacitors, a soft yellow glow emitting from the chamber.

Glancing down the line, I saw a sword flicker to light, quickly picked up and copied by the blades of other officers in the regiment. I drew my sabre and did the same, twisting the signal selector and depressing the trigger. We were advancing two hundred paces, it seemed: somebody upstairs had gotten the lay of the enemy attack and wanted us shifted.

Ahead of us, the section began moving, pushing forward as one with heavy steel footfalls, a few stumbling against the loose ground and low gravity. There was a particular way of walking in these conditions, and you had to relearn it for every surface and every gravity. It got more manageable with time, but some of these boxies were less than four months into service.

With the unit moving, I finally got onto the flank and got a good view again. There were blue flashes ahead, muskets trading back and forth, our skirmishers and theirs. Looking down the line, far to our left, I could see the rumbling shapes of heavy cavalry, the 5th Dragoon Guards, swinging out long for the flanks, presumably to meet their opposite number invisible somewhere far off. Their enormous footfalls threw massive clouds of dust behind them which hung like storm clouds.

And in the distance, I finally caught sight of the enemy. They were just hazy shapes, but I could see them divided into four groups about thirty abreast. From the look of the smoke behind them, more troops followed in a similar formation. It looked like they were coming right for us.

I clicked back to the company channel.

"Looks like they're coming at us the same old way," I commented.

"They never learn, it seems," the Captain agreed. "We'll be holding at the edge of the crater there. Make sure your rotaries-"

She was drowned out at that moment by an enormous wash of static, and I looked up to see lights erupting against our company force screen, dozens of shells bursting in crackling blue sparks against our force screens. Beside me, Sergeant Theda shook her head in disbelief, the glowing screens of her eyes flickering as they simulated blinking with each flash. Not that we had to, but it was humanising.

Waste of shells, she signed. It did seem like it. Firing at these distances was just to probe for gaps in the enemy screens; you didn't waste a bombardment against the surface. They must have thought so too, because the bombardment tapered off. Ash from the burst shells filtering through the screens like black snow.

Glancing back, the shield wagon and its massive dreadnought-wheeled horse were still plodding forward, keeping pace. Finally, we counted out our last steps, halting quite near a sizable impact crater, the wagon slowing to a stop.

Then there were impacts, more rolling flashes of light against the screen, and it didn't stop this time.

The bursts came furiously, so many they seemed to overlap, so many I started to be able to hear it as pops of ionised gases washed over my microphones. It must have carried on for the better part of two minutes, impact after impact, and I turned to see the wagon rocking with each hit, the generator sparking and rocking.

Then the emitters died, and the force screen gave out.

I had only about a moment to process this before the first shield landed in our position in a bright blue flash, spraying up dirt all around. Two more before the cloud had cleared, and I found myself sprawling, feeling rattled and dizzy from the nearby impacts. More flashed up and down our line, machines dropping heavily, and I simply lay as flat as I could against the regolith. I felt the momentary pressure waves batter at my radiator pack, digging into my back with each impact. Every time I thought it was over, another shell would burst nearby with clockwork precision.

Finally, in a gap in the shelling, I scrambled to my feet, pulling a handkerchief from my jacket to try desperately to clear the regolith from my cameras. Beside me, the line was reforming, as best as it could, but there were ragged holes in it now. Red-coated bodies were strewn across the ground all over, some lying still and others stirring weakly.

I estimated we were down perhaps a third of our number, though other companies closer to the centre looked even worse off. Casting around, I was relieved to see both our ensigns still on their feet, Kelly emerging from behind a Theo who had shielded him with his body, and Sumner miraculously untouched among a dozen downed soldiers.

I looked back out to the battlefield to try and get our bearings, spotting several of our skirmishers pulling back toward our position, harassed by their enemy counterparts. Their foes were fast, running with unnaturally long strides across the field, their carbines flashing. Sergeant Theda pulled up beside me, levelled her rifle, and fired, leaving one of their sprinting skirmishers stumbling into the dirt and scattering the others.

Beyond them, the main force approached. They were maybe just a thousand feet away now, moving swiftly at a fast march. They wore bulky grey hats, dark blue coats, and brilliant white crossbelts, and they seemed untouched by the dirt and grime that stuck to everything. The ones in front were particularly physically imposing, taller and broader. Even across the field, their red epaulettes and trim stood out.

At the head of the unit was a colours party, a gaggle of musicians with drums beating silently, each impact accompanied by a flash of light. Front and centre was a machine with a small tricolour flag, the pole a silvery metal and running with wires. Atop was a golden symbol, an eagle, and the entire assembly was haloed in white light.

As they closed, the light shifted to a blood-red, and all down the line, the French bayonets ignited.

I flicked my sword's signal to make ready and pushed into the line proper, trying to encourage Theos and Doras into position. The line formed around me, bristling with muskets barrels, and I flicked my sword to the angry red of fire and held it aloft, waiting for the perfect moment.

The enemy did not slow.

At seventy paces, I ordered the first volley, swinging my sword down decisively, and the moonscape lit up with pulses of blue light. Our targets disappeared behind a cloying haze of smoke, only the light of their eagle still visible. Machines rushed to feed more coolant into the guns, the thermodynamics of the void merciless, and fired another volley blind through the mist of the first.

The shots flickered against an invisible barrier perhaps twenty feet ahead of their line, the glow from the eagle intensifying. They had a force screen, covering the whole column. Some shots punched through, especially at the weakened flanks, and shadows there stumbled and fell, but others took their place instantly.

They were perhaps thirty feet away when they fired their first and only volley. The screen dispersed it, but despite that, it tore through our ragged line with ease. Ensign Kelly, momentarily exposed by a falling machine, was struck by multiple shots, and he slumped over, his screens overwhelmed. My own screens sparked violently, and the machine beside me pitched onto his face. By instinct, I stepped into his place, and signalled to ignite bayonets.

They began to sprint toward us, overtaking their colours, and we got off one last volley while they were unprotected. Each shot struck home and took down a grenadier with it, but they still hit us hard, bayonets crossing and clashing, machines pushing against one another. All of it utterly silent in the void.

I hit the Dora coming at me with a blast from my pistol, and the one following stumbled over her into my sword, but I couldn't even get my blade back into a guard before the next bayonet drove at me. It swerved away at the last moment as Theda threw herself bodily into the French soldier, her captured alien axe coming down like a thunderbolt.

I had no idea what was happening outside of our tiny area, I couldn't even see A-Section, but I knew if we gave ground, they'd open our flank up, and that would be it for the entire formation. Their regulars joined the fray now, shooting point-blank into the combat as they moved in. I felt a moment of pride as Ensign Sumner cut down a machine before he could bring his bayonet up, but there were far too many, and soon she was obscured by the press of blue coats and glowing bayonets.

There were maybe a dozen of us now, stumbling back against the rocks, but we'd given them hell. A grenadier sergeant came at me with a polearm of some description, the glowing blade glancing off my arm, but I caught him in the hand as he approached and then took him at the legs with the backswing. Drawing back into a defensive stance, I looked for my next target, and that's when I spotted her.

She was tall, willow-thin for a Dora, her long blue coat in blue and white perfectly fitted and trimmed in gold. Across her chest were five gleaming medals in gold and silver and dancing gems. The tails of her coat billowed in the non-existence wind, swaying with her hips. Her face was not steel, but instead a fine white glass, lips and cheeks picked out in carefully airbrushed pink, bright blue eyes projecting seamlessly onto its surface, her expression fixed in a half-smile.

Her eyes met mine, and she levelled a long, elegant straight sword, held in an elegant white glove. Clearly an invitation to a duel.

The ready light on my pistol turned blue, and I blasted her in the chest.

Her screens dissipated the blast, but they caused her to stumble a moment. It was a moment I used to close on her and swing as hard as I could for her shoulder. Her sword flashed in the way, a blind guard, and our blades clashed, their energies roiling and snapping in contrast. I kicked for her knee, trying to wrest some kind of advantage. She stepped away, swiping an inch from my eyes, and I was forced to give ground in turn.

She nodded approvingly, then stepped in for another attack, a driving thrust I only just managed to batter aside. She didn't hesitate a moment, stepping into another attack, dancing out of reach every time I tried to respond, taller than me, faster than me. I brought my pistol up at my hip, careful to keep it out of her range, and she swung her sword across the path of the blast and dispersed it in a flash of sparks.

I was giving ground as fast as possible, casting about for Theda, but soon I realised that I was alone. Everyone else was down. I stumbled over a body, came up covered in dust and gripping a fistful of clingy regolith, and I threw it for her cameras as I closed. She staggered, drawing her cuff across her face, and I finally had a moment I could seize on. I pushed forward; blade raised to strike.

With a jolt of pain, my knee buckled and gave way, and I collapsed heavily in a clatter of radiator patterns. I tried to push myself to my feet, struggling with the loose soil, but any weight on my leg just made it worse. My opponent stepped back in front of me, her screens now clear, and I tried to raise my blade into some kind of guard.

She gave a sympathetic shake of her head, then ran me through.

Chapter Two - The Damned French

"That could have gone better."

"Fusie, if you wield your sword like you wield understatement, you'd have carried the day single-handed," Miles complained, unlatching his helmet and running a hand through his hair. He instantly regretted it, just caking his scalp with lunar dust. "This bloody stuff…"

"We're never going to live this down, you know." Captain Murry said simply, slumping against the side of the airlock. "Biggest war games of the decade, and we crumpled like a tin can. The Colonel's probably going to get an earful from General Andromeda."

"It's not just us. The 28th got it bad too, and the 35th got forced into square without their screens and they worked them over with the cannons. At least the Dragoons put on a decent showing." Major Gaynesford said, dabbing his forehead with a cloth. "Too little too late, I'm afraid, but it was something. What happened to you, Lieutenant?"

"My, um, knee joint gave out," I explained, trying not to look like I was leaning too heavily on my crutch. "Nothing too bad."

"Bad luck," he replied sympathetically.

In the centre of the airlock, Colonel Harrison, the 7th's commanding officer, stood up to get our attention. He looked rather embarrassed.

"My apologies to your house staff, but you'll all be needed for dinner tonight, so get your uniforms cleaned first thing," he said, glancing around the room at the dirt-encrusted officers. "And do try to be good sports at dinner, will you? Won't do to be sore losers."

"We'll always have Waterloo over them, after all!" An officer, some young lieutenant I didn't recognise, called out.

"Yes, do try not to bring that up either," Harrison chided. "They're our guests, after all."

"Right, keep that sort of talk about allies behind their back, it's only polite," Lieutenant Turner muttered beside me, and I did my best not to break into laughter.

We stumbled back out into the cold air of Antares City, and suddenly I found myself wishing for a return to the void rather than face the bitterly cold December wind. We made the short trip from the airlock tunnels to the base, grumbling among ourselves and comparing our experiences, comparing tactics and trying to figure out where it had all gone wrong.

Miles was a bit sore about having been knocked out by a stunning shell and complained that they'd overestimated the effects against our shields, while the ensigns were chattering loudly about how exciting it had all been and how they'd all met their inglorious ends. Darley had been disarmed and captured at bayonetpoint, while Brodeway had been pinned under a fallen Theo. My broken knee got a great deal of sympathy, which felt somewhat undeserved.

As I always did after void exercises, I snuck around to the rear door of Number 18. Miriam was at the door before I could even knock, my housecoat in one hand and a bucket of rags in the other, looking distinctly unamused.

"So what happened to you, exactly?" she asked pointedly.

"Knee joint wore through's all," I explained, pulling off my coat, and she beckoned me inside quickly, shivering against the cold. "You alright?"

They didn't design us for winters," she replied, shutting the door quickly. "This is, of course, the joint you've been complaining about for the past two months? The one you assured me you'd get replaced?"

"Knee joints wear through all the time, especially for Fusiliers," I responded, cagey. It was true, though; even for regular machines yearly replacements were the norm. For machines like myself, it was closer to half that.

"Mhm, they do," she replied, looking utterly unimpressed. "You need these cleaned for dinner?"

"Yes, sorry. Bit of a rush." She chuckled at my uncertainty.

"You need to stop feeling bad about creating work for your staff, it's what they're built for," she said, for what felt like the thousandth time. "How'd you do personally, anyway?"

"My entire section got wiped out," I said. "To a machine. Not even the ensigns made it out."

"Well, you'll have to work on that before your next deployment, that's for certain. I heard the French have machine officers, is that true?"

"I suppose it is, given one of them had me beat handily," I admitted. "I've never fought anyone like her, it was astonishing. I didn't stand a chance."

"Hum." Miriam paused, clearing thinking hard about something. I didn't like the look in her eyes. "Well, I wonder if she'll be at dinner. Maybe you could ask her for some tips?"

"Perhaps." I was nervous and excited by the possibility in equal measure; I'd never gotten to speak to another machine officer, not really, (1) outside of briefly encountering Captain Fusilier at a function in Starhall. Still, that wasn't the same; he'd spent the last sixty years in a procurement office doing paperwork, the lucky bastard.

"It'll almost certainly be good for you. If nothing else, you need a friend who has shared some of your experiences," Miriam said, dumping my uniform in the laundry room for the Abbys. I headed to my study, dabbing at my face with one of the rags from the bucket, Miriam close behind.

"I have friends," I said defensively. "Miles and April surely count."

"Of course, Miss, but one is a housemaid, and the other a human," Miriam clarified.

I sat down at my desk, leaning back against the plush leather chair, as Miriam disappeared through the door. She was right, as she was with infuriating regularity; neither of my friends really understood fully what I was experiencing. There was, I suspected, vanishingly few in the galaxy who might.

Already itching for something to do, I plucked my pen from my charger just to have something to do with my hands and cast over the desk for incomplete paperwork. Finding nothing, I began absently practising my signature on a blank page, trying to get all the curls just right. Officers signed a lot of documents, it was important I do it right.

Not a minute later, I became aware of Miriam's return when she set to work with the rags, clearing the regolith from my neck and shoulders, humming happily to herself. For all the hardship of void operations, I did take some heart in how they tended to cheer Miriam up. I was quite aware that I never managed to give her enough to do.

The household utility machine, Thomas, arrived at the door a few minutes later with a toolbox in hand. I hadn't called for him, so clearly Miriam had. A bit reluctantly, I shuffled up the cuff of my trousers until my knee joint was visible and propped it up on a chair, and he sat on the floor with an impact wrench and began removing bolts.

"You know, not normally part of my job description, ma'am," he joked, laying the parts out on the ground carefully as he removed them. "'Fraid I haven't got the exact piece you need, but we can substitute a regular pin just fine."

"I wasn't going to ask, but..." I responded, and Miriam cut me off.

"I will not have you attend the mess on a crutch like a Dickensian orphan, miss," she said sharply, throwing the last of the rags in a bucket. "Before you protest, this isn't just for your sake. Your bearing reflects on us as a staff, you know."

"O-of course," I said. "I just didn't want to cause any trouble. How much do I owe you?"

"Ma'am, my job is keeping the machines in this house running. Don't say nothin' about if one of the machines is an officer, does it?" he responded. The plate on the outside of my knee came off, accompanied by a sort of numb sensation. He reached in with a pair of pliers and had soon fished out two pieces of a hexagonal pin, the break showing the multiple layers of metal and ceramic. "Blimey. Clean in half, look at that!"

"How much for the replacement part, then, I should at least cover that…"

"Oh, don't you worry, I write these off all the time," he said, slotting a new pin in place. This one was a dull, near-white aluminium, almost certainly just bar stock with the ends machined into sprockets. "You can get them three for a sixpence."

Automatically, I reached across my desk to the small wallet I kept my spare change in, retrieving two pennies.

//It is not shameful to accept help when it is offered.

Still, it didn't feel right not to at least offer to pay for it, right?

"Oh, come now, ma'am. Army won't miss it," he said softly, and reluctantly I dropped the coins back into my purse. "Now as I said, I only have a lighter duty joint, so this is a temporary fix. Get yourself to the company engineer tomorrow and get it replaced proper."

"Of course," I replied.

---

I met Miles outside the mess, waiting with Lieutenant Turner, their greatcoats pulled close against the January cold.

"Stars, Fusie, you took your bloody time," Miles complained, waving me over.

"How fast would you have recovered from a broken knee, then?" I teased. I was usually early, and I was certainly never late. "You could have gone in, you know."

"Absolutely not. I need a Fusilier to hide behind so I don't have to talk to anyone," he said casually. "Come on."

I was used to the officer's mess being a fairly quiet space, half-empty with various elements of the regiment away in piecemeal deployments to monitoring stations or mining colonies. The majority of the tables were empty every night.

Tonight, however, we played host to not only the vast majority of our own officers, not only our usual guests from the Royal Artillery, not only the members of the 28th, 35th, 60th, 71st, the 5th Royal Dragoons, but six regiments worth of French officers. A room that usually had no more than twenty-five humans in it now had two hundred.

To make things worse, every other officer had their aide on-hand to translate for them.

My first impression of it was just pure noise, and it took me more than a few seconds to make sense of the field and figure out where I was supposed to be going. I spotted Captain Murray among a group of officers, ours and theirs, and we made a beeline for her for lack of anything else to do. I couldn't see her Maria, so it appeared the Captain spoke decent French.

"Oh, excellent. My subordinates, Lieutenants Miles Beckham and Dora Fusilier, and Lieutenant Turner from 6th Company." Murray said, then she leaned over to us and indicated to each in turn. "Captain Estelle Couvreur, Junior Lieutenant Jacquinot, I didn't catch his first name, and our man from the Dragoons there is Lieutenant Reginald Risewell."

We made our introductions and niceties as best we could over the din and took our seats, and the Captain continued her story, which seemed to be from the aftermath of the Battle of llomia J3H. She was saying something about radiation treatments from my rather reckless use of transmutation shells, and Lieutenant Risewell at least was listening with rapt attention.

The two French officers, however, were staring at me rather obviously. As I usually did in these circumstances, I just kept my eyes down, looked at my hands, trying not to let it get to me. I was glad that the overlapping babble of voices would obscure the sound of my fans spinning up.

I was doing an unusual thing. People would always be acclimatising to it. They didn't mean anything by it. It ought not get to me…

"I know, the scars, right?" Miles interjected, nudging my arm. "It's a miracle she functions at all, you know."

I glanced back up to see the two officers conspicuously looking away now, listening to one of their aides as he translated, presumably. I did a double-take as I realised the aide wasn't a valet, but instead was a clerk, a little bespectacled Simon in a blue uniform. How odd.

I very deliberately didn't stare, though. I'd been through that enough.

"So you are the machine lieutenant we've heard about?" Captain Couvreur said. Feeling rather on the spot, it was all I could do to nod. "It's good to see them recognize talent from the ranks like this. Hopefully they'll draw more from the ranks in the future?"

"Oh, well, I don't think so. I purchased my commission, you see," I said, feeling a bit slighted by the implication. I wasn't sure they'd understand, given how things seemed to work over there, but the thought of being promoted up to a commission felt deeply wrong. NCOs were promoted, but officers volunteered, put their money and life on the line to contribute to the service. They were different sorts of responsibilities, ones that simple experience hadn't prepared me for. "There's never been a rule against it. It simply doesn't happen much."

"Oh." Couvreur responded flatly, the wind taken out of her sails by that.

"You didn't earn it?" Junior Lieutenant Jacquinot asked, back to staring. He was young, maybe eighteen at the outside, more like an ensign than a lieutenant to my eye.

"Come now, of course she did. She put in decades of service to earn it," Murray intervened, throwing a sympathetic glance in my direction.

"This business of buying commissions is very strange to me, I'll admit. I'm surprised you stuck by it for so long," Couvreur said, her mouth drawn into a little frown.

"There's been modifications made-" Murray began, starting in about the 1843 and 2010 reforms, then Couvreur began talking about their own system as Miles leaned in to whisper.

"... I haven't the foggiest what any of them are talking about," he asked, Turner chuckling in the background. "Fill me in?"

"They're discussing promotion and commissions in our armies. In their army, the machines in the ranks hold elections to select new officers from among their own ranks and human cadets," I explained.

"... that seems damned near sensible, why don't we do that?" he said, a look of utter shock on his face.

"You'd think you'd get your commission on that system, Miles?" Turner asked, and Miles shook his head.

"Of course not, this system would work," he retorted. I laughed, though he really wasn't being fair to himself. He was a fine officer.

"I'd certainly not, that's for sure." That was fine. Soldiers shouldn't be electing officers, that felt mad to me. Soldiers didn't have the same priorities as commanders. That seemed so inherently evident to me that I couldn't fathom how they thought otherwise.

I wanted to cut in and say that, defend the honour of a system that had served the British Army well for more than four centuries, but the words died on my speaker. I'd have to interrupt somebody to say it.

Soon after, a machine came by with drinks, and I secured my customary empty glass for the toasts to come. Lieutenant Colonel Harrison ran us through an exhaustive list of toasts, General Andromeda and her French counterpart both gave a short speech, and finally, dinner began properly.

Dinner was always awkward, considering I didn't eat, but I'd very much worked out the pace of the ordeal. Dinner came with polite conversation, so all I had to do was be available and willing to talk while not accidentally monopolising the discussion by the advantage of not having to shovel calories into my speaker. There was some inevitable second-hand discomfort among onlookers from the fact I had nothing to do with my hands while waiting to talk, but I'd yet to figure out a solution to that.

Things proceeded quite pleasantly from that point. I was sitting directly opposite of Lieutenant Risewell, and he seemed remarkably considerate. He was clearly a bit disconcerted by my presence, but he was doing a good job not showing it. We soon struck up a conversation about our previous deployments, the usual fare between officers. My sojourn through the gateway was an inevitable topic, though he plainly noticed I was sick of talking about it and, mercifully, Miles came to the rescue with tales of the battle itself and the gruelling aftermath.

"I heard you got worked over pretty good by those Stalkers," Risewell said. "A bit of a bad spot, heavy casualties?"

"It's not as bad as the papers say," I dismissed. "Whenever signal lights go back their reporters write it up as if every downed machine is scrap and every wounded officer is crippled for life." Miriam had told me they do it to sell papers, because '100 machines downed, 95 returned to service within the week' is not nearly as dramatic. "We've mostly bounced back, we're just short some replacements."

"I do think it's starting to get to poor Percy," (2) Miles said quietly, glancing across the mess to our fellow officer. His third of a section made a sorry sight on the parade grounds each morning. "It sure does take a while to build a Fusilier, doesn't it?"

"Eighteen months from start to finish is what they used to tell me when I was a boxie. Sergeant Theo would remind us every time we did something daft. 'Don't you know how long it'd take to replace you! Don't you know how expensive you were?!'"

"Surely they're not making them to order!" Risewell protested.

"Of course not. It's damn irregular; I've not seen it take more than two or three weeks before," Miles said.

"Maybe it's the new tech making things take longer?" I speculated, though I didn't believe it. Fusiliers hadn't changed that much.

"What about you, Risewell? I've heard the cavalry gets some choice postings," Miles deflected deftly, mercifully pulling the conversation away from our losses.

"Well, I've not yet seen any action, I'm afraid. A lot of very coreward deployments, but no combat yet," he explained. "You'll forgive me for saying so, but I'm hoping I don't have nearly as exciting a time as you did!"

"Might be hard for a dragoon," I pointed out. "I got to ride a repulsor horse on the other side of the gateway; I was never even in combat in it, but even then it was exhilarating!"

"Well, you know, we don't exactly drive repulsors. That's for Hussars and Light Dragoons. We're a bit slower," he explained. "But still, we'll make seventy miles an hour on roads, maybe fifty five on flat fields."

"That's not nothing!" I said, trying to imagine what it must be like, facing down a company of six-ton horses tearing across a field at those speeds. "Certainly worked against our French counterparts, I hear?"

"We got lucky, caught them at the bottom of a hill. Gravity did a lot of work. Just wish we'd have redeployed fast enough," he said.

"Better than we did. We were completely overrun, they just walked through us." I gestured to try and convey the movement of forces involved. "Ended up duelling one of their machine officers, oddly enough."

"Oh, that is Théa, I think! She is the same regiment as I," Lieutenant Jacquinot said, leaning into the conversation. His English was heavily accented and stilted but still quite comprehensible. "She has been, um, she is sixty-fourteen years a lieutenant. Seventy! Seventy-four years."

"She hasn't been promoted?" I asked, and he laughed.

"She is happy where she is. If she went higher, she would fight less!" he explained cheerfully. I took a moment to lean back and look around the tables for her, but while I could see plenty of dark blue coats in officer's cuts, I couldn't see any machines wearing them.

"Do you know where she's sitting? I'd like to talk to her," I asked, and he looked at me as though I'd grown a second head.

"She's not here. Why would she come to dinner with us?" he said, shaking his head. "I don't understand why you are here either, for that matter."

"I'm an officer, it's the officer's mess. It's where I socialise with my peers," I said, and he waved that off.

"Peers? Officers can coordinate well enough while on duty, but this is a space for humans, you know?" He spoke with a tone that clearly conveyed that he meant no offence, and indeed that he couldn't imagine it being offensive. Something so obvious it should have gone without saying.

"This is a space for officers," I said flatly, trying not to let it get to me. It was not easy.

"Well, that's the problem. In France, these things are not one and the same." he said, "Once more like you make the jump, you'll figure that out."

I didn't know what to say to that. Feeling somewhat defeated, I broke eye contact, looking around the room anxiously, wishing suddenly to be anywhere else. It was not an unfamiliar feeling, but it was one I hadn't felt this intensely in this space in months, and I was not pleased at its return.

My cameras cast around for something familiar, safe. There, nearly blending in with the darker blue uniforms of the French officers she was talking to, was Lieutenant Diana Kennedy, laughing at a joke as her aide translated for her.

I looked away before she could spot me—neither familiar nor safe.
---

The moment we judged it would be polite to do so, we left, Miles inviting Turner, Risewell, and myself back to his place for drinks and an escape from the crowded atmosphere. I was so incredibly grateful to be out of there, away from the noise, Frenchmen, and past mistakes.

We were greeted at the door of Number 22 by his valet, who went by Jim and who was, in every way, perfectly suited to the job of being Miles' servant. He was just as casual, laid back, and relaxed as my friend, to the point where it made me sometimes wonder if there was some mysterious force pairing officers with Jameses and Marias who exactly met their needs, or if this was in some ways an act. (3)

Miles had, from somewhere, acquired a set of the comfiest, rattiest furniture I'd ever seen, more suited to the backrooms of a servant's area than anyone's sitting room. Jim was back in a moment, setting a tray of bottles on the side table before setting a music player going, a simple rhythm low enough for conversion.

Sometimes I felt a bit strange, spending so much of my time with Miles and his friends, this all-male environment. I'd simply not connected to many of my feminine peers: they had… an affect I presumed came from their upbringing that I had never experienced. While I always felt profoundly out of place, it didn't feel as pronounced around Miles and his friends.

I thought perhaps it was some lingering influence of the military as a historically masculine pursuit affecting my mindset, even though it had been centuries since that was true. Or maybe there was something wrong with me, maybe it was the shame I should feel from how I treated Lieutenant Kennedy. Maybe I was just a coward.

//Nothing is gained from being cruel to myself.

Then again, a lot of my former peers in the ranks were far more feminine than I ever was, so perhaps I was just a bit queer.

In any case, Miles was just about the only human who really, truly treated me like a peer. Yes, he constantly said mildly insulting things, but I'd long figured out that he considered that to be expressions of affection. Turner was a bit more stilted and quieter, but he'd never said a thing wrong to me either. And this Risewell fellow seemed nice enough.

Miles uncorked his beer, and the sound was like a starting gun for conversation, almost.

"The fucking French," Turner immediately said, and there as a chorus of agreement all around.

"Smug bastards, the lot of them," Risewell agreed.

"We need a rematch. We can't let them get away with this," Miles said, "Right?"

"Absolutely. It's their bloody screens, absolutely unfair," I added, "Basically cheating. And that artillery."

"We need hussars next time. Somebody to get in their artillery park," Risewell agreed. "And... the things he said to you, Fusilier, I'm almost surprised you didn't take a swing at that Jacquinot fellow."

"I could never!" I protested, and Miles shook his head affectionately.

"I know you can't, but I may consider doing it on your behalf. What'd he say?" he asked, and Risewell recounted the incident, putting on the best worst French accent I'd ever heard.

"... or something like that. My frog's a bit rusty," he concluded.

"Jesus Christ, what a prick," Turner muttered.

"I'm definitely breaking his nose next I see him," Miles said simply.

"I'll hold his arms," Turner added.

"You are not. Stop it, both of you." I said. "It's just… frustrating. Plus, it means I didn't even get to talk to any of their machine officers."

"Like that one who beat you?" Miles suggested mischievously. "Can't imagine why you'd want to talk to her…"

"I.... listen you!" I protested, to the laughter of my friends. Risewell raised a curious eyebrow, and to my horror Miles beat me to any kind of explanation.

"Our dear Dora's programming tends to break down around beautiful women, you see…"

"Well, that's relatable," Risewell said, taking another swig of his beer. "Though I'm grateful I'm finally getting another deployment after this, I've been fending off the women my parents have been shovelling my way. A lot of them are quite lovely, but the way it's done, it's almost… mechanical. No offence."

"None… taken? I'm not sure what you mean," I said. I had no idea about human courtship other than a very strong conviction to stay away, for both our sake's.

"Of course not, Fusie, let me explain," Miles said, "I was just dealing with the start of that when I pissed my father off. The moment you're old enough to start thinking about what you want to do with your life, your parents come to you like, here lad, here's a list of women ranked from most to least socially acceptable, pick one quick, and do try not to ruin your life with the wrong choice. Like fuck off."

"Right? I've told them I'm handling my correspondence on it myself after I get back from my deployment. Honestly, I doubt I'll even go home after," Risewell said, sounding utterly exhausted. "My family has a ski resort near the south pole they keep forgetting about. I figure I'll hold up there and maybe invite a girl or two, you know? Something without the damned pressure."

"Plus, cold place, a lady might want somebody to keep her warm," Miles joked.

"... I will not say that is not a part of my motivation," Risewell confirmed, to smiles all around.

I knew that humans weren't supposed to get intimately involved with one another outside of marriage, but I wasn't a boxie, I knew they did. Just wasn't sure exactly how that happened, if they had servants charged with chaperon duties hovering around all the time. Then again… thinking about it even for a moment, I was absolutely certain that Miriam would not only tolerate it under the right circumstances but lie to her charge's parents about it if it was warranted. (4)

"So there you are, Fusie. Human romances are a tedious, joyless procedure. Like dental surgery," Miles said.

"I'm engaged." Turner added simply, and Miles' glum, cynical expression immediately vanished as he turned, drowning out Risewell's congratulations with a near-shout.

"You're what? I… good God man, when were you planning on telling me?" Miles asked, and he shrugged.

"Still, um, getting used to it myself, old chap. Kind of a spur of the moment thing." Indeed, he sounded a bit shell-shocked. "Nobody's more surprised than me, I think."

"I think I'll disagree, I didn't even know you were seeing anyone," Miles said, "Who's the unlucky lady?"

Turner smoothly made an obscene gesture without pausing as he finished off his bottle.

"Her name is Kara, she's lovely. We ran into each other in the park and just... hit it off, I suppose." Turner explained, leaning against the edge of his chair with a wistful expression on his face.

"When'd all this happen?" Miles asked, sounding suspicious.

"Last month. We've been meeting up in the evening-"

"That's where you've been?" Miles exclaimed. "I didn't hear a word of this!"

"Haven't really told anyone yet. Her parents don't know yet either." he said, "I dunno, it's not a secret or anything, it was just a private little thing."

"So who is she, where's she from? Good family?" Risewell asked.

"She's, um, Polish. Kara Grynberg. Her English isn't that strong, but it's much better than my Polish or Yiddish, so, you know, she's brilliant. I… I proposed to her on Monday, and we've been trying to figure out how to tell her parents."

"I don't know what to say, old boy, except congratulations. I didn't see it coming." Miles said. "How about your folks, they know?"

"Not yet, I'm sure they'll be fine. They'll probably just be ecstatic that I found somebody at all, I had them worried I think. I doubt any of the details will bother them," he summarised, leaning back in the chair so far he was almost sinking into it. "She's lovely, Miles, if she had circuits you'd be smitten."

"Sorry?" I asked, but I was drowned out by Miles announcing that this called for a celebration. As if summoned, Jim arrived with some harder drinks, bottles of brown liquid and small glasses. I took the opportunity to lean over to the music player and turn it up a little.

Miles, assisted by a confused but enthusiastic Risewell, interrogated Turner about his sudden engagement. Not really having anything to say, I let the music carry me away, the sting of today's humiliating defeat and frustrating conversations muted by a pleasant buzz.

"- you're ridiculous, man, but seriously, my congratulations to the both of you." Miles finished, settling back with his drink. "Just don't go retiring and leave me alone with this tin can for the rest of my career."

"Love you too, Miles," I muttered.

"You're safe for now, don't you worry," Turner assured him. "Course, what if Fusie does the same?"

"What, retire? Machines don't retire," I said, laughing at the absurdity of it. "Nor do we get married."

"Really? There's a couple on my parent's staff, it's actually kind of sweet," Risewell said.

"Well, not never, I guess," I said. A few Theos and Doras were married to machines in the city too, but it had always struck me as somewhat absurd. "We probably shouldn't, I think, is the thing. We've got a commitment to our job first and foremost. It's not something we'd do if we weren't imitating you lot, I think."

"You've got the right idea, if you ask me." Miles added. "Sounds a lot more pleasant."

"I don't believe you're that cynical, Miles. You're putting up a front," I said. "The right girl comes along, I'm sure you'll change your tune."

"Oh, I'm certain I will, I'm nothing if not a hypocrite," he said flippantly, sipping from his glass. Whatever it was, it was strong enough that even he winced a little. "But until then, I've got nothing to my name but a father who's probably warned every family in the sector about me. Not worth the trouble."

"Say, Fusie, whatever happened to that tailor you brought to the ball, anyway?" Turner asked, and I sighed.

"She… well, she thought I'd died, left the city. Miriam got in contact with her again after we returned from Starhall, but she says she doesn't want to… to reopen old wounds."

The music must have been hitting me pretty hard, because it felt like the bottom fell out of the world as I said those words.

"Oh Christ, I'm sorry, I hadn't realised," Turner muttered, looking down into his drink.

"... you know, this'll sound awful of me, but I never thought of… all that," Risewell added, clearly drunk enough that the potential impact of his words were well beyond him. "Sorry, just, it always felt like machines were just… playing at relationships? Like small children do, you know?"

"I understand what you mean, but I'm afraid not," I said simply. "It's just that we're good at moving on. Maybe a bit too good, if you understand. Sometimes."

I probably should have moved on, but my deprogrammer had made it clear to me that I needed to stop dismissing feelings so reflexively. I'd done it so often I'd lost the ability to deal with my problems in any other way. So instead, here I was three months on, pining for somebody who probably never thought about me anymore. It probably wasn't better, but at least I wasn't just shoving the feelings away and pretending they didn't exist.

"My apologies, that probably came out poorly. I'm a bit out of my depths," he said quietly, staring at the bottom of his empty glass. "Beckham… um, Miles, is there any more of this…"

"I think? Jim?" he called, then slumped back in his chair. "You've not seen anyone else?"

"I've been on a few… it's just messy," I said, leaning a little closer to the music player as I talked. "Nobody knows how to act around me, it's… I saw this girl two weeks ago, uh, a messenger, you know? Cute as a button, but it was so awkward…"

"What's the matter?"
I contemplated how to answer that for a few long seconds, my mind sluggish.

"Well… it's just…. they, t-they treat me like one of you." I managed, stumbling over my words as the emotions poured out. "They can't see me as just a machine anymore, because I'm an officer. I'm like… some kind of mythical creature. It's not doable. There's a fucked up… thing. A power thing."

"Oh hell," Miles muttered.

"Compared to them, I have money and authority and… and… fancy clothes. I have a servant. A Maria! Like… to machines, Marias are like… p-princesses." I tripped over that word in particular. "They're royalty; they're special because they… they work right for humans, talk to them every day. And one of them works for me, so w-what does that make me?"

I reached out to turn up the music, but Jim was there ahead of me, hand on the dial. Couldn't hear me, of course, but he nodded sadly as he turned it down. A bit embarrassed, Turner put down his half-finished drink, and Miles leaned forward across the table at me.

"Fusie, you okay?" he whispered.

"I dunno. I guess," I concluded. "It's just… fucked up. I'm not one of you, but I'm not one of them. What am I?"

"Right now, very drunk," Miles said, swaying a little where he sat. "Which I get."

He looked up and tapped his ear, and the music clicked off. On the other side of the room, Risewell and Turner were getting up, and I felt a sudden shame that I'd brought things to an end. I can't remember saying anything to that effect, but I did remember Turner reassuring me that it was late enough that they ought to get going anyway.

Miles went to the door to see them out, then returned and sat heavily in the chair. Jim was there with a glass of water, but then to my surprise, he sat down too.

"What do you need right now, Lieutenant?" he asked, looking to me. I struggled to think of an answer, not sure what to say.

"... I think I need to go home," I managed eventually, and Jim moved to get my coat, but I kept talking. "Miles, have… have you talked to Lieutenant Kennedy, since…"

"Diana?" he said, looking at me funny. "Why?"

"... I dunno," I said, the words feeling like a mistake the moment I heard her name. "I don't."

I hadn't told him, or anyone, what had happened between us on the other side of the gate. What hadn't happened. The way we'd been too ashamed and awkward to even interact afterward, the horrible gulf between her heartbreak and my… absence. Instead of trying to meet her at an emotional level, I'd just crushed everything I'd felt, discarded the genuine friendship and care I had for her, and bludgeoned her with it.

Absent the survival pressure on the other side of the gateway, we'd simply drifted apart, and I was left with a feeling I didn't know the shape of. A hole where the proper emotions should be, just a vague shame, a sense something was gone that I ought to miss dearly.

"... did something happen between you two?" he asked, and I shook my head reflexively. If nothing else, I had to protect her, I did all this to protect her, but I never had a good poker face. Miles read me like an open book. "Oh. That… explains a few things, doesn't it."

"We didn't do anything. We didn't. We didn't," I protested, and he waved a hand dismissively.

"If you're worried about me judging her, or you, trust me, I haven't a bloody leg to stand on."

"N-no, you don't understand. We didn't, and, and she wanted-" I started, then stopped, suddenly gripped by terror. I ought not be affected by this, a proper machine wouldn't, I ought to feel nothing, ought-

Miles shifted over from his side of the table to sit beside me, silent. Unsure exactly what I was doing, I leaned against my friend, my head against his shoulder, and just sat in the moment a while. He wrapped a hand around me, and I realised I'd never been hugged, comforted like this. The only close physical contact I'd ever had was fighting and fucking, never just… this. I never knew what I was missing.

I leaned into him a bit more and finally felt myself relax.

"... Christ, you're heavy," Miles muttered.

1. This wasn't entirely true. She had met a machine captain of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary, but I can see how she might not consider him a real officer.
  2. 3rd Company A Section under then-Lieutenant Percival Ellsworth was the first to break through the stalker line at llomia J3H; they received a point-blank volley of grapeshot for their trouble, which rendered 90% of the unit inoperable.
  3. I suspect it is simply that if you build a machine specialised for empathy, this is an inevitability. Before I met the Lieutenant, I knew little about army history or affairs beyond appreciating the structure it brought to my life. I regret to say I now have strong opinions about battles which occurred well before I was built.
  4. I am disappointed that she thinks so little and accurately of me.

Last edited:
It's baaaaaaaaaaaack! *rejoices*

I had only about a moment to process this before the first shieldshell landed in our position in a bright blue flash, spraying up dirt all around.
One typo.
Her eyes met mine, and she levelled a long, elegant straight sword, held in an elegant white glove. Clearly an invitation to a duel.

The ready light on my pistol turned blue, and I blasted her in the chest.
This was friggin' great. Granted, Miles' everything was even better, but still, this was great.

It's a delight to see this come back; and the extra little touches from the biographical format are especially so. Eagerly followed!

It seems I picked the best possible time to have binged this story over the last couple days. I hit the hiatus point only to wake up the next morning to the wonderful surprise that there's yet more to come.

Some thoughts on book 2 which comprise both retrospective feelings on the previous draft as well as thoughts/hopes on the potential of the new version:

Thea has been a very fun addition and she's provided a welcome foil that challenges to Dora to reconsider aspects of her worldview that the previous character ensemble aren't quite positioned to manage. I'm definitely curious to see how Thea herself develops over the course of the story, as the previous draft didn't go on long enough to fully demonstrate how she would grow from being thrown into an unfamiliar context where her occupying the station she does is both more challenged but also counterintuitively presents more opportunity for her to be treated as an equal. And of course, there's the evergreen appeal of Robot Girlboss Yuri. Sometimes those French automates are more than just your friendly mates :V

We last left off in book 1 with the offhand line that the that the gate controls had been "squirreled away" and I found there to be a bit of a tangible absence that there was so little followup on what happened with the stalkers and cuddlebugs in the wake of all that. For all that Dora won't be directly involved in it, the world-shattering implications of "successful(ish) first contact with a friendly(ish) alien race" and the question of whether that gateway to other worlds is now open wide under humanity's control could perhaps benefit from a bit more elaboration. We also left off with the lingering mystery of how the Stalkers presented an inconsistent but real intelligence with what seemed like a greater ambition behind it--as evidenced by how they distinguished between human and machine and started out actively trying to to stun the officers during the first exchanges rather than kill them outright. A choice that doesn't seem in keeping with what we later see of them as a murder-focused "immune system".

The context of our main character's newfound celebrity status seems to suggest that she's been viewed mostly positively for her actions during her time across the gateway, but is that universally true? Was she lauded for her courage and resolve in the face of an unfamiliar and overwhelming enemy? Or was the praise she received based on how she was the one to finally discover another intelligent race among the stars? Are there bigoted detractors who think that it's just not right for a machine to have been the one to perform that kind of monumental diplomacy on behalf of the human race? Are there are pernicious rumors circulating that she surely must have been abusing the station she's already exploiting in order to lay the groundwork for an alien-backed machine coup?

I was also very glad to see that the dangling thread of the abortive relationship with Kennedy has been picked back up after getting sidelined without a proper resolution way back in the first book. Beatrice was a cool character, but the context of her relationship to Dora made it such that her vanishing from the narrative felt natural enough in a way that Kennedy's relationship thread wouldn't. I thought the previous draft did a good job of forcing the main character to have to both do the foundational personal growth and upend her rigid worldview to get to the point where it feels like forward progress (even if it's just starting to dig herself out of the negatives) with Kennedy is now possible. I'm still a believer (and proponent) of them getting together!

Although...

The previous draft has also started to unironically convince me on the possibility of Fusie x Miles. And I should be clear: this does not involve compromising Dora's established sexuality. Miles has been making steady progress going from someone who recognized the material reality of an empire wholly reliant on the labor of machines for basic functioning while still being too blinded by privilege to grasp how the coercive systems in place deny those machines the actual fruits of that labor, to being someone whose personal experiences are radicalizing them towards becoming a proper pro-machine rights activist. And also, so many things about that one chapter suddenly click into place when we consider the possibility that there's nothing mandating that Miles has to remain a man ⚧. My third eye is open and I am channeling truths that others are yet blind to. I believe in the "self-deprecating nerd who fails to live up to the standards of masculinity 'he' was raised within and who takes refuge in being perpetually acerbic to avoid having to actually be vulnerable" to "pathetic loser lesbian belatedly learning how to flex emotional muscles long atrophied from disuse who still somehow manages to charm other women with the rizz only a sad wet cat can possess" pipeline.

There's even a perfect framework where her being a robo-chaser isn't just her being nuts for bolts, but rather something that stems from a deep-set envy for the authenticity of a femininity born out of artifice which she doesn't believe she could ever possess. It's even established that she is both highly supportive and enthusiastic about her childhood friend's transmasc transition and also that she's never learned that transitioning in the opposite direction was an option that was even possible until that awkward conversation with Lawton. And she gets horny over pretty women telling her what to do??? It practically writes itself :V

"Well, you know, you're a delicate little thing; somebody's got to take care of you," he said, blushing, and we both burst out laughing. Stars, I can't remember the last time I had so much fun or felt so at ease with somebody. Perhaps only with Beatrice...

Why is it Dora that you can't fully find yourself attracted to smarmy 'guy' in front of you, yet still find yourself filled with the emotional warmth you'd only found present in your last romantic partner? Is it perhaps that there's something there beneath the surface that's hard make sense of given the surface-level circumstances which yet betray a glimmer of the sapphic possibility that could be?

"Nope, I can't do this. Things are too queer," I said, setting down the cue. "I'm sorry, this has been wonderful, but I can't unsee it now."

IT COULD BE QUEER, FUSIE! IT COULD BE! That's what the estrogen is for! I don't quite know whether this setting has a cultural taboo surrounding polyamory which would complicate Fusie and Kennedy's hypothetical relationship, and/or the budding relationship with Thea, but Dora does in fact, have two hands (at least, she does when she's done with all the post-combat repairs).

I'm also hopeful to see further development on the "So, you're beginning to slowly realize that your entire people are second-class citizens and that the purpose you find in labor has been conflated with the uncritical acceptance of the exploitation of that very labor" plot thread which the narrative elements of this book have been honing in on much more strongly.

Thank you for writing! And I'm very much looking forward to where this new draft goes!

i need to let you know i wrote in Miles x Fusie subtext specifically to fuck with @DragonCobolt, because i found it funny. like i also thought it'd be interesting to do some stuff about comphet in there but thats the main reason.

also, i had intended to post the next part the next morning, but i've ended up extensively rewriting a scene i'm re-incorporating and I'm in the middle of travelling so that's slowed it down. 15k update today or tomorrow once i get some goddamn sleep, basically.

i need to let you know i wrote in Miles x Fusie subtext specifically to fuck with @DragonCobolt, because i found it funny. like i also thought it'd be interesting to do some stuff about comphet in there but thats the main reason.

also, i had intended to post the next part the next morning, but i've ended up extensively rewriting a scene i'm re-incorporating and I'm in the middle of travelling so that's slowed it down. 15k update today or tomorrow once i get some goddamn sleep, basically.

Hah! That's perfect; and I also look forward to seeing whatever you come up with, whenever it's ready.

I have notices the parralels between Miles and Ivan; neat to know I'm not the only one to think that.

(Clearly this means he's going to wed a foreign princess whose family connections are going to make life awkward for him)

(Hopefully she gets a line as good as "Where are my children, you worthless sack of greed?")

Chapter 3: Machine Officer Club & Chapter 4: The Right Figures New

Chapter Three - Machine Officers Club

I woke up in an unfamiliar bed, slightly smaller than I'd grown used to, unsure exactly how I'd arrived there. It took me a long while to realise it was the guest room. I was having trouble focusing for a few minutes, virtual memory a bit overloaded perhaps, playing back snippets of half-remembered conversations as it cleared. I had only a vague idea of what I'd said, but what I could remember was embarrassing.

I reached up to disconnect my power cable at just about the moment the door clicked open, and thinking it was Miles I pulled the covers up, suddenly aware I was not wearing nearly enough to be decent. But it was Miriam, somehow, looking perfect as usual.

"How do you always know when I wake up?" I asked groggily, (1) and she shook her head affectionately as she retrieved the battery pack.

"Good morning to you too, miss," she chirped. "Your uniform is being cleaned, and before you wander out without clothes on, you're still in Lieutenant Beckham's house. I know you haven't exactly got much to cover up, but it's the principle of the thing. How are you feeling?"

"Like shit," I muttered, flopping back against the pillow. "I think I made a fool of myself last night. Why am I still here, my house is two over-"

"It was hard enough getting you up the stairs, never mind back home, and from what I saw of your friends, I doubt any of them remember it," she explained, wrapping my power cable around the battery pack and stashing both in a shoulder bag. "Now, what's on the agenda for today?"

I wracked my still-cold processors trying to remember it all.

"Uh… morning inspection, initial company briefing whenever-it-is that Captain Murray gets out of the regimental brief, then a training plan for the day, and… oh no." According to my system clock, I was quite nearly late.

"Perhaps you can squeeze in replacing that knee joint somewhere? You still have time. One moment," Miriam reassured me as she swept out of the room. She returned minutes later with my uniform, freshly pressed, and I dressed and staggered out in the best order I could. I caught a brief glimpse of Beckham in his housecoat, red-eyed and poking at breakfast as Jim fussed over him.

"Morning, Fusie," he managed to sort of half-groan, and I waved goodbye before stepping out into the bitter cold and early-morning dark, Miriam at my heels. I retrieved my gear at the door of Number 18, then made my way alone back to the 9th company offices, my collar turned up against the cold.

The weather controller, whoever they were, were clearly some kind of fucked-up sadist or had gone mad with power, because I can't remember the last time it was this cold. The insulation of my coat couldn't do anything about being made of thermally conductive material. I swear, I could feel my batteries draining.

Our company's little office space was crowded today. The ensigns were there with our aides and clerks as usual, but Senior Sergeant Theda Füsilier and Junior Sergeant Theodore Rifleman were also present. They were the senior NCOs of my section, both foreign transfers from other militaries, namely the Prussian Army and American Marines. It looked like both of them had only just barely beat me inside, as they were clustered close to the fireplace trying to warm up. The ensigns, red-faced from the cold, looked little better.

"Sergeants. Does anyone have a proper temperature reading today?" I asked, and Ensign Sumner did that little bounce to attention she did whenever she knew something.

"It's five degrees today!" she exclaimed cheerfully.

"Why?" Ensign Kelly blurted out, looking horrified.

"I don't know. Maybe the Duke wants a particularly white Christmas?" Sumner speculated. "It is supposed to be warmer tomorrow, though they've scheduled even more snow."

"Warmer is warmer. So, Sergeants, what's the issue?" I asked. They wouldn't be here if something weren't wrong somewhere.

"Forces of the French Army have annexed regimental parade grounds," Theda said gravely. "They have refused all requests to move and will not provide other information."

"What did Captain Murray say?" you asked, and she glanced toward the door.

"The Captain's still in her briefing," she explained. That was unusual; I'd thought she'd just stepped out for a moment. "We have no orders, ma'am."

"It didn't sound like they were keen on shifting, ma'am," Rifleman added.

"Well, in the Captain's absence, I'll deal with this," I said flatly, stepping to the door. "Theda, wait here until I return. The rest of you, get the troops up and about. I'll get to the bottom of this, and we're getting our field back."

Normally, if the field was unusable for some reason or another, morning parade would take place on the road on the other side of the barracks. Given that the road was a solid sheet of ice right now, I wasn't just going to let some smug French pricks take our field without a fight. If nothing else, the presumption had to be challenged.

I met Miles as he came down the way and explained the situation as we walked the short path to the parade grounds, hunched against our coats. We went around the corner of the barracks building and sure enough, there was a whole damned regiment of soldiers in tan greatcoats, standing in close formation despite the cold. Officers, accompanied by their NCOs, were walking the line and checking soldiers over.

I took a moment to straighten my collar before walking over to the nearest officer.

"Excuse me, why exactly are you on our field?" I asked, very deliberately in English, and the officer turned. Instead of a human face under the brim of her hat, I was met with a glowing screen projecting a pair of a curious eyes.

"Well, look at this. It is lovely to see you again!" the officer called cheerfully, stepping over with a hand extended. "I'd call it better circumstances, but your weather controllers do not seem to agree?"

It was her—the one from the battle, with the perfect glass features, tall, beautiful, elegant. I no longer had to worry about the cold because I could feel my processors racing, fans spinning up under my collar as our hands met.

"Lieutenant," I said awkwardly. "Um, just what is going on here?"

"Were you not told?" she exclaimed, her eyes shocked, "Théo, I need a moment, please take over. My apologies, I assumed they would tell you! We are staying for a while for joint exercises, at the request of your General Andromeda."

"... okay, but you're in our field," I said insistently, unsure what else to do.

"Ah, you see, it is our field for now," she said simply, laughter in her voice. "I do not know for certain, but I believe you are to use the road? My apologies."

"Well, um," I said numbly, my resolve crumbling. "An honest mistake, thank you."

"Not at all! Say, once the day has concluded, would you perhaps like to get together, talk? I do not meet many machine officers from other services, you understand," she asked, her voice still cheerful. I stood dumbly for a moment before Miles nudged my arm.

"Oh. Yes. Of course," I said.

"I shall come to your office when the day is concluded, yes?"

Awkwardly, I nodded and turned to beat a hasty retreat back into the offices, Miles snickering behind me. As the door clicked closed and the warmth returned, he burst into laughter outright.

"Stars Fusie, you poor thing," he chided.

"Shut up, Miles," I said, still reeling. "Don't even start." I looked over to Theda at the fireplace, seeing her turn away with some kind of mirth in her eyes.

"We're on the road," I said bitterly. "Go get the parade assembled, I'll be there in a moment."

A few minutes later, I stepped out to see the regiment arranged haphazardly along the road back to the officer's quarters, a line of shivering machines in grey greatcoats. I couldn't help but be irritated by the uneven lines, reduced as they were from the casualties we took in our last engagement.

Unsurprising given the thrashing they'd received yesterday, the terrible weather today, and the various delays, the troops were in low spirits, and not even the captain's arrival cheered them up much. Their relief was palpable when Lt. Colonel Harrison came by on his horse, looked them over approvingly (and perhaps a bit hastily in the temperature), and they were dismissed back into the warmth of the barracks. We returned ourselves to the office, crowded as close to the fireplace as we could get.

"So, yes, the 96th Line Infantry Regiment will be staying on base with us for the next two weeks. And yes, as our guests, they have priority on the parade grounds," Captain Murray explained, "General Andromeda is worried about our performance and wants us to coordinate on weapons and tactics. No, I'm not happy about it either."

"It's not tactics; they've got a portable energy screen! Just give us one of those!" Kelly declared loudly. "Right?"

"There's more to it, Horace. Remember, energy screens are two-way, it's why your pistol is a back-up," I explained, and he just looked glum.

"We don't even have pistols," he muttered, a bitter edge to his voice. (2)

"Honestly, it's our own damn fault for letting them come at us," Miles said, "Screen only works in one direction, and the column means putting all their eggs in one basket. We needed to pressure a flank, but we were too busy getting trashed by their artillery. I imagine you got an earful about it from the General during your extended absence."

The Captain was quiet for a long moment.

"There were more important matters," she said, every word measured. "There was a larger issue. Our replacements are officially missing. Not just overdue, missing."

"Missing?" Ensign Brodeway asked, astonished. "What do you mean, missing?

"Did they get up and walk away?" Ensign Darley added.

"We don't know," she said gravely. "Our machines left RMC Works (3) almost two months ago, but never made it to Teachport. The cargo barge that was supposed to pick them up didn't have them on the manifest," she explained. "It's not just us; at least three other units are affected."

"So I imagine we'll be understrength for a while," I summarised.

"I imagine so. The factory's been locked down for a full investigation," the Captain concluded. "So until that's sorted, we won't be getting any replacements."

"Hold on, we should at least be getting some refurbished then?" I asked. Both Murray and Miles looked rather confused. "I mean, Fusiliers who have left the service for the civilian sector and come back. There's always a handful."

"Huh. I'm not certain," Murray said, but Sumner cut in.

"Well, as the name implies, they'd need to be refurbished before re-entering service, they send them all back to the factory to make sure they're up to modern standards," she explained, looking quite pleased she'd found a place for yet another piece of trivia. "It's detailed in the recruitment regulations."

"Which you've read because..?" Miles asked.

"It was on the shelf," I supplied. Every time I turned around she had a book from somewhere; we'd ended up taking all the candles out of her quarters so she'd not stay up all night reading. "That's concerning, then, because it means whatever happened didn't just affect inert machines in crates."

"... I hadn't thought of that," Sumner admitted, turning back to the fireplace and inching closer.

"Was it pirates?" Kelly asked nervously. Brodeway nudged his arm and whispered something that sounded a lot like 'shut up, idiot.' Miles responded with his usual corrective poke in the small of the back with whatever was at hand, in this case a chalk holder from the planning blackboards which left a stark white mark on the ensign's coat.

"Respect your fellow officers, you little shit," he said, voice utterly monotone. "Even if you're right. There's not been pirates since, well…" He let out a slow, hesitant sigh. "Lydia, when did-"

The answer, which went on for some time, began to arrive well before the question could conclude.

---

Before long, we were torn away from the blessed warmth of the fireplace by our schedule for the day; field drills with the French providing our opposing force. We ran through dozens of formations and scenarios, accompanied on both sides by ghostly holograms on the field to simulate a combined-arms environment. What we played out were less like mock battles and more akin to chess puzzles, small scenes where occasionally our commanders would pause everything and walk the field to assess what was going on.

A few of the Theos and Doras amused themselves by freezing in exaggerated or outlandish poses whenever a hold was called, which I admit I appreciated. I swore I heard General Andromeda suppress a chuckle walking past our line.

That afternoon, the drills gave way to a long tactical theory meeting which even I could admit was a little tedious. Our commanders were worried that our current tactics were too inflexible and made us ill-suited for changing circumstances as technology improved, especially as energy screens became more and more practical.

The 7th was the British Army unit that had most recently engaged in a large-scale battle, so the meeting primarily gathered experiences and opinions from the assembled officers based on our action against the stalkers. I managed to get my courage together to suggest dividing the sections further into two teams, a manoeuvre section and a smaller fire section, citing my action retaking the gateway. I thought it might make it easier for units to manoeuvre under fire.

I'd never before offered any kind of word one way or another in any of these meetings. It's difficult to describe how it felt to know that everyone was listening, caring about what I had to say. That General Andromeda herself was listening! It was a uniquely intimidating circumstance; I have felt less exposed standing to receive enemy volleys than I did talking to a room of my supposed peers, feeling all their eyes on me. I realised only after I sat down that I may be the only machine in that meeting room to have ever given an opinion on something.

The French machine officers, I noticed, stayed quiet. Their glowing eyes remained fixed on me throughout the rest of the meeting, and it was a strange sort of relief once the meeting was called and I could retreat to the mess. The French's machine officers hadn't shown up last time, perhaps I would be spared further stares.

I didn't end up making it to the mess. I was talking with Miles about something or other, modernising our screen carriers I think, when somebody took my hand rather unexpectedly. I turned to see that same French Lieutenant again, looking at me puzzled. I froze, and it had nothing to do with the temperature.

"Hello, Lieutenant. Where are you off to?" she asked.

"T-to the officer's mess," I stammered, and she laughed. Oh, she had a lovely laugh.

"Why?"

"Look, we could talk after-"

"Nonsense, come on! We have commandeered ourselves a little officer's club, just for us machines, come along!" she insisted. I gave a grinning Miles a defeated shrug and followed her out into the cold toward what looked like one of the storage warehouses, where a few others were already milling about the door.

Sure enough, inside it turns out they'd taken over one of the empty spaces, having procured a table and chairs from somewhere. A music player was playing softly in a corner, somebody was already going through a newspaper, and the half-a-dozen odd officers were sitting casually, talking, laughing. Somebody was shuffling a deck of cards.

"Oh, this British machine officer at last shows her face! Come on, sit, sit!" one of them beckoned, and I eagerly took a seat. "You know how to play piquet?"

"No, but I can learn," I said, taking the empty seat and hanging my hat off the ear of the chair. It seemed to be a two-player game, and I was paired up for the first game against a voltigeur captain as cards were dealt around. It seemed I had a pretty good hand, nothing lower than a seven.

"We've heard so much about you, you know. Your story made our papers too!" a junior lieutenant said. "How is it, being an officer in your Army?"

"She was about to go off to their officer's mess, poor thing," Théa said, which prompted glances all around. "I simply had to rescue her."

"I can speak French, you know," I said, and they all laughed.

"You can say things in it, certainly, but I do not think you can speak it!" my opponent declared, to laughter all around—probably a comment about my accent, but all in good fun.

"How's your cuddlebug, then?" I muttered as the first exchange began. It quickly became apparent that I was no better at piquet than I was at poker or whist, though fortunately, this was deemed a practice game, and no money changed hands. Théa took the next game, which meant I was now subject to the full attention of the other officers.

I quickly worked out everyone's nicknames to keep them straight: the voltigeur captain went by the full Théodore, the two Junior Lieutenants were Young Théo and Tiphaine, then there were Lieutenants Théa, Dieudonné, and Thibault. (4)

"So you go to the officer's mess. I suppose that makes sense, there's no other machine officers. Still, it must be so awkward, being around them while they eat and drink…" Théodore said, sounding earnestly concerned.

"It really isn't so bad. A bit of an adjustment, but being able to talk to everyone is nice. I like feeling included." I explained. They still looked concerned, though, so I kept talking. "Truly, they're much more accommodating than I expected. Honestly, they treat me like one of them."

"Kind of them!" Théa said, laughing a little.

"They are! The man I was talking to, Miles Beckham, we're very good friends," I said. To my surprise, that statement seemed rather troubling for the French officers.

"Still, it has to be isolating, isn't it?" Captain Théodore asked, and conceded the point with a nod.

"It is. Nobody seems to know how to deal with it, least of all me," I confessed. "Were it not for my aide, I don't think I'd be able to manage it. Do you lot get aides?"

"Lieutenants and above are assigned clerks to deal with paperwork, yes," Théa said.

"They don't let you do your own paperwork? Christ, I'm so sorry."

"Oh, it's not too bad. They keep us plenty busy," Tiphaine assured me. "But not a clerk then? What then, a lady's maid?"

I nodded, already bracing for what was coming. Sure enough, there was a moment of awed silence from the table.

"Alright, that's not what I was expecting," Tiphaine confessed, and there was a chorus of agreement.

"Lucky!"

"That has to be intimidating..."

"... sacré dieu, I'm in the wrong service!" Young Théo announced.

"You'd get a valet, dumbass," Dieudonné muttered, to laughter all around.

"Don't ruin this for me! Say, English, is she single?" Young Théo asked eagerly, leaning over the table. "Put in a good word for me, will you?"

"Excuse him, Lieutenant, he's just like this," Théodore assured me. "Manufacturing defect. Well played, Théa!"

Théa shuffled a small handful of bronze coins across the table with a triumphant expression in her eyes and the game rotated, the conversation meandering and always coming back to the awfulness of the weather. It was easy to commiserate with them about it: I'd lived here all my life, save for deployments, and it was never quite this cold. The music, a much gentler, quieter tune than yesterday, helped smooth everything into a pleasant hum. The small disagreements just didn't seem to matter.

"It does make exercises interesting, I'll say that at least. Still, I can't wait to get back home," Thibault said, undoing his collar and leaning back in his chair as he stared at his cards. "It's very mild in the city we are based, the weather controllers have modelled it after Nice. Lovely."

"Sounds like it. Meanwhile, the sadists here are trying to freeze us all to death," I complained.
"My sympathies. I personally just can't handle the cold at all, never have," Tiphaine said. "We had this rimward deployment, securing some… old bunker or something, about fifteen years ago. It would get to minus fifty (5) at night, our human officers wore their vacuum gear!"

"Not our proudest moment," Captain Théodore agreed. "The guards took to sitting on a tent heater while on watch, sort of under their greatcoats?"

"I was one of those guards, and yes, that place was a... a nightmare!" Young Théo added. "Though I quite liked our camp, in the big cave we dug into the glacier. It was stunning."

"Sounds like it. I haven't been rimward that often, I confess," I said, "Farthest I've ever been that way was fifteen parsecs short of Man's End, and we never left the ship, though it was still bitter. Coreward though… my last deployment before my commission was on a world with six suns. Just my section alone ran through thirty gallons of coolant every day."

"How did the humans even live there?" Young Théo asked.

"They had to keep their screens on just to leave their tents. The worst part was, we only found out after we left that the critters we were there to guard against were in their hibernation cycle. Total waste of time." Shame, I would have loved to fight a giant worm.

"Those deployments are the worst! If they're going to interrupt our training to send us out, we should at least get to fight something," Théa complained. "I will admit, I am jealous of your last deployment. Those 'stalkers' sound thrilling!"

She sounded so enthusiastic about it, and honestly, I couldn't blame her. As much as they were truly some of the worst creatures I'd ever encountered in the galaxy, they were a damn good scrap.

"They put up a fight, that's for sure," I confirmed. "Shame you missed it."

"Perhaps we will find our own portal," she said, sighing wistfully. "I would love to test my skills against them."

"Speaking of, Dora, I heard you crossed swords with Théa here. Impressive, isn't she?" Théodore asked.

"She's… she's quite good. I didn't stand a chance," I admitted, nodding respectfully. "I'm still something of a beginner with the sword."

"Oh, come now, Lieutenant," Théa assured me. "Yes, your swordsmanship could use some work, but you are no slouch in a fight. You would have had me if it weren't for your knee."

"Oh? What happened?" Tiphaine asked, clear concern in her voice.

"I just had a joint give out on me. Happens to the best of us," I explained. The table only seemed to look more concerned at that. "Routine, really, just the worst timing."

"That's why I get them swapped every two months. Can't be too careful," Thibault said. "My sergeant used to say, knees and hip bearings every two, ankles every three, elbows every six. Stuck to it like clockwork and haven't had a problem in four decades!"

"She can't afford that; look at her," Dieudonné muttered sourly.

"... yes, I was getting to that," Théa said, throwing him an annoyed look. "Lieutenant, Dora… does the British Army not pay to maintain its machines? Do they not even cover your repairs?" She sounded so sad.

"Oh… well, officers cover their own medical expenses; you see?" I replied.

"A human does not need expensive new bearings and joints every few months," Thibault pointed out. "Nor new plating, or brushless motors, or fresh batteries…"

"And they have fortunes, generations of wealth," Théodore pointed out. "This is the problem. They have you thinking you are one of them. You aren't."

"I don't want to ask for special treatment," I mumbled, feeling overwhelmed.

"Yet you asked to be an officer!"

"It is not special treatment."

"Ridiculous!"

"Enough! Lieutenant, would you join me please," Théa said quietly, pulling on my arms. Frustrated and overwhelmed, I let her drag me along out the hall and toward the door, and as I left I heard conversation pick back up in French behind me. Probably hadn't made the best showing for King and Country, exactly.

"I'm sorry, this is very overwhelming…" I admitted sheepishly, and she held a finger to my lips to indicate silence. God, she was so… so forward.

"I can see, it can't have helped being outnumbered?" she said, looking concerned. "How about we talk about this, just the two of us? Less overwhelming, maybe? Would that be better?"

"Y-yes," I nodded, feeling my fans speed up. "They're absolutely right, I really should bring it up, I know they're right. But… I don't know how long it would take to fix, so in the meantime…"

She nodded, leaning back against the wall, clearly thinking on it deeply. I could hear, very subtly, her fans spinning up, see her eyes wander the hall as she considered it, and I couldn't help but keep looking. In the low, distant light of the hallway, the tailoring of her uniform and the perfect craftsmanship of her features stood out even more starkly, the mirror-smooth surface of her casing, the light scattering subtly through and softening the outline.

She was beautiful, but also unique, I'd never seen a machine like her, and it wasn't just her height that made me feel small before her.

"This all makes sense, yes. But our costs are too expensive for any machine to keep up with; there is a reason Fusiliers downgrade after they leave the military. Even with your salary… a Fusilier is subsidised by the state, it is simply how the maths works out. What will you do until they change the rules? What will you do if they don't?"

"I don't know. But it's not just that, I'm also… I'm just really cheap." I admitted, laughing at myself. "I had a windfall and I've used it to keep up vital repairs, but I got into the habit of letting everything go too long while I was saving for my commission. It's something I'm working on."

"I am glad to hear that, at least," she said warmly. "I am sorry it was so much; you strike me as a person who has been lonely for a long time, yes? I hope that is not too forward."

"N-no, not at all. To the question. To you, asking the question…" Fuck. "I… I've never been the most social, no, and it is a little hard making friends in my position, you know?"

She nodded.

"Between two worlds, yes." She sighed, leaning more heavily against the wall, and I tried not to stare too much as she loosened her collar, exposing the tiniest hint of brass workings at her collarbone. "Are the other officers kind to you? The human officers?"

"Stars, yes, they all are. I… I was fitting in, for a while, but I made some mistakes I'm not proud of. I don't think it's impossible to fit in, but such events are discouraging. At least I have Miles."

"Miles?" she asked, sounding a little amused.

"Lieutenant Beckham, the other Lieutenant in my company. He's… well, he's a right prick, but once you get past that he's a lovely man."

"Oh, is he? It is good to hear you at least have somebody. But still! It is good to talk to others who share your experience, and while I can see you are shy, charisma is like any other skill; you must practise and drill, no?"

"Well, in the sense you mean, I haven't a lot of peers to practise on," I pointed out, and she nodded.

"Perhaps this can be fixed?" she asked. "Now, come on, I believe they are setting up for a bit of knife throwing." She must have seen the quizzical look in my eyes, because she continued. "Have you ever played darts, Dora? It is like playing darts."

"I have not played darts, but I'll take your word for it," I said.

I reentered the room to find the table and cards had been pushed aside to create a clear lane, and everyone was standing around a cloth laid out on the side table, glints of silver visible between them as I approached. They welcomed me back warmly and with a few apologies (some of which were extracted following glares from Théa).

As the guest, they insisted I go first. I stepped up to the side table and took a look at the knives; they were an identical collection of gleaming blades with small handles, presumably balanced for the purpose. I selected one at random and, following the guidance of the other officers, stood behind a power cord laid across the floor to make the distance.

"Just throw it?" I asked, a bit nervous.

"Just throw it. It may take you a few tries, but perhaps not!" Tiphaine assured me. I squared up against the target, the red-white-and-blue ring propped against the far wall, and threw as hard as I could.

The knife embedded itself up to the crossguard in the plywood. Unfortunately, it had hit handle first, so it still didn't count.

"Shi- ah, darn," I said, catching myself just in time. "It's trickier than it looks."

"She can't even curse," Dieudonné said, rolling his eyes and going back to shuffling his cards.

"Of course I can! I just-"

"- Have been trying to stop yourself to fit in with the humans?" Théodore asked, and I sighed and drew another knife.

"Yes. It's not done, you understand," I said. This throw hit side-on, leaving a perfectly knife-shaped indent in the plywood. "Well, fuck."

"There, see! Like that, you'll get the hang of it!" Young Théo assured me cheerfully, gesturing for me to take another knife. I picked it up gingerly, trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.

"Look, I know I'll never quite sound like them, but I have to try, right? Putting in the effort is what matters," I explained, trying to line up the knife and figure out how to throw it properly. It didn't feel intuitive.

"Wasted effort. You're still metal at the end of the day," Dieudonné grumbled.

"Enough of that. Dora, hold on," Théa said. Without any sort of warning, she stepped beside me, taking the knife from my hand and showing me how she held it. "Take your gloves off; they're not helping. The pads of your fingers will give you more traction."

I spent a long, hesitant motion considering it, looking around at the machines all around me. Théa had her fine white gloves tucked into her belt, and none of the others wore any, though I was sure the human French officers wore them. I remembered them politely removing them before sitting down at the dinner table. Miriam had impressed on me just how important they were; that for a gentlewoman and an officer, they were as essential as shoes for going out in public, removed only under particular circumstances. (6)

A bit self-consciously, I pulled off my gloves and tucked them into my sash. I took back the knife, feeling the edge against the hardened silicone pads of my fingers, resting lightly against the steel hinges.

I lined myself up, squared my shoulders, and threw. The knife embedded itself point first, so far into the wall that only the pommel was visible.

"Good throw!" Théa cheered. "Now we'll work on actually hitting the target. You think anyone will mind the wall?"

"I'll make sure they send somebody to patch it," I said, wincing a little. "I think perhaps I should watch you all a while longer, get a feeling for the technique."

Tiphaine stepped up next, almost dancing with a sort of bubbly eagerness as Théa handed her the knives. One after another, she threw them dead-centre into the target, making it look utterly effortless.

"How'd you start doing this again?" I asked.

"Oh, I can't even remember," she muttered, "Had to be before my time."

"Much before. We picked it up off the American machine officers," Thibault explained. "It was something to pass the time during dinners or formal events… medal ceremonies, balls..."

"Human things," I summarised.

"Yes, exactly!" he said, taking the knives up. "You know, I was one of the first of our machine officers, I've been where you were. A hundred and fifty years ago, so some things were different, yes, but I remember the same awkwardness. Not fitting in, no matter how much we tried."

"How did you handle it?" I asked.

"We started throwing knives."

---

The next day, it was snowing so intensely as to be coming down sideways, the wind howling at the windows. We fought our way up the roads through thick snow to find that, fortunately, Captain Murray had managed to arrange for the company to use the firing range ahead of anyone else, meaning we could sit securely inside the heated halls and practice marksmanship while everyone else struggled through the snow.

Sergeant Theda knew her work well enough that the exercise mostly ran itself, so Miles and I just sat behind the line talking about nothing and running the ensigns through their long-promised pistol training. One of Miles' lot, Ensign Darley, stepped up, taking the beat-up old practice pistol that must have been older than I was and thumbing the activation switch.

"Ready, Ellen?" he asked, and she nodded, pistol held tightly. "Go!"

The holographic target appeared at the far end of the range, a long way for a pistol, but she confidently levelled the pistol and fired in a burst of coolant smoke and golden light. There was a distant flash, and the display above the booth flashed to show a glancing hit along the outer ring of the target, a bit wide from beam attenuation.

"Oh, nearly!" Miles exclaimed, "Damned good!"

I swore, I saw something very near to pride on her usually emotionless face.

"A fair shot for that range, but keep practising," I recommended. "Now remember to safe the weapon before refilling the coolant…"

"Of course," she replied, pushing the latch closed and reaching for the bottle of coolant. Miles sat back against the pillar supporting the edge of the tent, lazily waving the range controller to reset the range.

"So how was the frog seminar, then?" he asked, an eyebrow raised.

"Pretty nice, actually. They're a good bunch, as French as they are," I summarised. "Very welcoming."

"And what of that Lieutenant?" he asked slyly. "Was she as nice as she looked?"

I snickered.

"Miles, you need to stop saying things like that, people'll get ideas," I joked. "But… oh stars, she is though. It's strange to think that way about another Fusilier (7), but she hardly even looks like one of us! Well, one of me. You know."

"Mhmm," he teased. "Certainly looks a lot less like a suit of armour than most of you, that's for sure. Think she's interested?"

"In me?" I asked, feeling suddenly rather flustered. "I doubt it, look at her. Plus, she might not even be into other women, you know?"

"She certainly didn't act like a stranger." he pointed out, barely able to keep from laughing.

"Maybe she's just affectionate?"

"Maybe. Hold that thought. Horace! You're up!"

Ensign Kelly took the pistol, now cold again from the short wait and fresh coolant. He stepped up to the booth, grinning enthusiastically and almost bouncing a little on his heels as he prepared.

"Steady, Horace, steady," I warned, and he nodded, squaring himself up down the range, weapon pointed skyward in the approved fashion. "Alright, safety off, and ready now…"

He clicked the safety latch back, exposing the red ready light, and as Miles depressed a button on the controller, the target suddenly appeared at the range, close, perhaps ten metres and moving toward him. He levelled the pistol, the dot of the targeting tracker nearly exactly a bullseye, then he thought better of it and stepped to the side.

"Too close!" he shouted, and with a nod from me, he clicked the pistol off.

"Say, what do we do if something gets too close and we haven't a fusilier to hide behind?" Ensign Brodeway asked, sitting back at one of the benches. "What then?"

"Oh, don't do that. That's a bad plan," Miles said, "Try always having a fusilier around, that's what I do."

"Brilliant," Darley responded, utterly monotone.

"Seriously, if that's the case, things are bad enough already, pull the trigger," I advised, "Just make damn sure your screens are up. Otherwise, you're better off running."

"Right, at a range like that it's dangerous." Sumner summarised.

"At a range like that, you'll cook yourself a nice medium-rare, Lydia," Miles warned. "Even with your shields, expect a sunburn."

That got a laugh, which was a bit disconcerting. Optical backscatter is no laughing matter.

"If things are very close quarters, it's not a bad idea to use your stun setting, if your capacitors are charged," I ventured. "Less backscatter, and either a fusilier can finish them, you'll have your sword, or you can escape."

We ran the lot of them through a few more shots, and I'll admit I was proud of their progress, as well as the care and respect they showed the weapon. At this rate, they'd have their certification within the month.

"Alright, fifteen-minute break, then when you get back here we're going to look at carbines," I ordered, and the four of them shuffled down to the back of the range, chattering excitedly about the experience and other human things. "I swear, they're almost halfway competent. When did that happen?"

"I wouldn't go that far," Miles said, plucking the beat up old pistol off the table and inspecting it. "So you going to attend their little knitting circle tonight as well?"

"I would, but I have another appointment," I explained.

"Ah yes! Your mysterious once-a-week Another Appointment," Miles said, grinning. "Until I learn otherwise I would like to assure you that I am assuming you are stepping out with somebody highly controversial in secret, and I will be sure to tell everyone that if they inquire."

---

That evening, I was shuffling my coat back on when there was a knock on the door. I opened it, and Sergeant Theda stepped in from the outside, coat still on and eyes glowing against her dark silhouette.

"Sergeant?" I asked, "What's the matter?"

She glanced nervously down the hall to either side before speaking.
"Nothing serious, ma'am. Did I catch you at a bad time?"

"Oh no, I was just heading out, but I'm early. We can take a moment," I assured her, stepping back behind my desk. "What is it?"

"Just an issue I wanted to sort quietly, ma'am" she said, shedding her coat and drawing a notepad from the inside pocket. "Haven't had a chance to bring it up with all the exercises."

She set a crumpled piece of paper onto the desk and pushed it across, and I smoothed it out as best as I could to read it. It was crudely printed and to the point; Fusiliers wanted for private employment. Apply at the Elizabeth Ballroom on Christmas Day, and then a pound symbol and a fairly unbelievable figure.

"... stars, that's a lot of money," I said. "T-to be clear, I wouldn't desert over it, but…"

"You'd think about it, ma'am?" Theda asked. I nodded.

"Briefly, Sergeant. Very briefly. I don't think this would actually work on anyone, but with boxies you never know. Brief our guards and remind them that no amount of money is worth betraying the crown, and I'll hand this to the Captain tomorrow morning."

"Very good, ma'am." I grabbed my coat and stepped out, and she followed, presumably just heading the same way. As we walked, her posture and composure changed. Sergeant Theda the emotionless Prussian disciplinarian vanished as if she were merely a magician's trick, replaced with the much less stern Theda Füsilier I'd come to know. "Any idea who would try something this stupid?"

"I don't know, some young wannabe explorer. Maybe somebody who wanted to order a Fusilier and can't get one due to whatever's happening there. Does that make any sense?" I proposed. Theda tapped her chin while thinking, the metal of her face ringing.

"That's a better theory than I had. I suspected perhaps it was some sort of scheme to get Fusilier parts, perhaps connected to our missing machines," Theda proposed. "I think I'm just feeling useless."

"I understand that. How have you been holding up this past week, Sergeant?"

"Well enough, all told." she said, "Things have been frustrating; morale is not great after the beating we got. Boxies are not used to losing. How about you?"
While it would be something of an understatement to say that Theda and I hadn't seen eye to eye when we first met, we'd come to an understanding since. We were far more alike than different, and neither of us had the moral high ground. Where I'd spent decades repressing everything until I was wound like a pocket watch, Theda had taken her rejection from Prussian officer school hard and turned it into a bitter, burning resentment she only barely had a handle on.

"Well enough, I suppose. The French officers have been a mixed bag. Their humans have been awful, but their machines…"

Dropping the charges against her was the best choice I'd ever made as an officer, I think. The Theos and Doras loved her, even after everything that happened: her perfectionism, attention to detail, and demanding nature was everything a soldier could want out of an NCO.

"Oh, that the officer you fought, hmm?" she asked in a mocking tone. "Why am I not surprised?"

"Urgh, first Miles, now you,"

"No judgement, ma'am. You talked to her?" she asked.

"Yes, and the other machine officers. It's, uh, it's nice, they're very kind. It's a good change, to have a space where I'm… I'm not expected to pretend I'm not myself," I explained, and she snorted back a laugh.

"Nein. I meant to say, did you fuck her?" she asked casually.

"No. Stars, Sergeant!"

"Disappointing, she's lovely," she needled, and I sighed.

"Oh, knock it off. Though… she is," I admitted, "And incredibly forward, too. It's been driving me mad."

"What's stopping you, then? Nerves?" she asked. "Or are you still not over your Beatrice there?"

"Thin ice, sergeant," I warned. She was still infuriating; I was just growing immune to it. "No, I'm just... I feel somewhat off balance. The war games, French in the mess, the everything, all just as I was starting to feel like I had a handle on things again. I need a break, I think."

Theda fumbled around her pocket for something, coming up with a short ivory tube with an audio jack with a dial on the back.

"I have just the thing, ma'am. You sound like you need it," she said. Cautiously, I grabbed it, inspecting it closely.

"Oh, haven't seen one of these in a decade at least." After a moment of hesitation, I stuck it in the audio port at my neck; after a moment of fuzzy static, a slow, soothing beat started playing through my head. "Where did you get this?"

"A friend," she replied cryptically, fetching another from her pocket and slotting it home.

Machines don't do boredom well, but we can't always be working. Our creators, in their foresight, gave us the same solution that nature provided man: intoxication. These days it was music, different rhythms and tempos inducing various effects on our cognition. But there was no reason audio couldn't be piped in directly, bypassing our speakers. The slow rhythm felt like a sort of static buzz at the back of my skull accompanied by an instantly soothing feeling, and so much tension left my actuators it almost hurt.

"Good?" she asked, smiling.

"Mmhm… you shouldn't have that on duty, you know," I pointed out. "I'll be confiscating this, of course."

"Confiscating what, Lieutenant?" she said, doing her best to sound innocent.

Nothing sounds innocent in a German accent.

Chapter Four - The Right Figures

I was not good at waiting. One would think it is a talent I would excel at, when so much of the job of a soldier is waiting. I'd go so far as to say most of it is waiting, then marching, then digging, construction, and paperwork. The skills related to fighting were a distant fifth place.

But I have never been good at it. When I stood in line at inspection, when I sat in fields for the transports to arrive, in those sickening moments when the enemy shouldered arms and we all knew the volley was coming, I couldn't stand it. Waiting was time I would spend in anxious, useless introspection, running ruts in the pathways of the worst thoughts.

The worst part was I knew that was what I was doing, and I knew it was unhealthy. So I drove the deepest rut of all; ought. I ought not to dwell, I ought not to think about it, a better machine ought to simply wait. It replaced the anxiety with a poisonous emptiness, time that passed without me in it. Disassociation.

It was how I'd been alive thirty-three years, fought a dozen battles, and felt like I'd only been alive for a few months at best. Trying to block out the world and pretend none of it existed. The solution turned out to be the opposite.

I turned off my cameras, held myself as still as possible. I listened carefully to the world around me, and slowly, I began to hear the subtle noises in the otherwise quiet office. Distant feet and voices on other floors, the wheels and tracks and howling wind outside, the ticking of the pocketwatch lying on the desk. Fans; the wide metal one in the ceiling piping air into the room, and the hum of the two silent fans under my collar drawing air over the heat sink at my core. The sound of coolant moving through the hoses and pipes.

I focused on those sounds, on stilling them so I could better hear the world around me. My mind and body generated heat constantly through action, but I was still, and if I could quiet my thoughts, I could quiet the fans as well.

Just the world, and me as part of it. The fans slowed, the hum dying away. The flow of coolant became barely perceptible. My internal thermometer ticked down. The fan in the ceiling was loud like a screaming rocket, the distant voices shouted orders, the footsteps an earth-shaking march. The tick-tick-tick of that tiny pocketwatch like a heartbeat.

Here, I could wait. Present in the moment, not in my own mind. At peace.

I heard the footsteps coming down the stairs, opening a door in the hallway, proceeding toward the door despite the muffling effect of the thick patterned carpet. I heard humming servos, metal on metal as a hand closed on the door. I heard the latch clunk and the hinges squeak and the air displaced in the room by the door swinging open. I heard fans speed up as a machine stepped closer, and I could tell just from the flow of air in the room that a machine was circling around to check the status lights on my neck.

"I'm okay, Tom," I said quietly.

"Blimey, Lieutenant, you had me fooled!" he exclaimed. I switched my cameras on to see the familiar mechanic, shaking his head. "Thought you'd run out of batteries waiting, wouldn't be the first time…"

"It hasn't been that long, how does that happen?" I asked. He set his toolbox down on the desk and fished out an electric screwdriver.

"Oh, not too often, but sometimes we get glitched machines in who forget to plug themselves in at night and the like, you know? Now hold still, please."

I felt the drill contact the bolt at the back of my neck, then again just under my ear. The earsplitting shriek of the drill cause a momentary discomfort, and then my head suddenly felt a good twenty pounds lighter. There was a considerable clunk as the piece was set down, followed by the uneasy feeling of somebody rooting around inside my skull.

"I'm sorry this is such an ordeal. Must be easier with other machines," I said, feeling a bit embarrassed.

"Not to worry, there's a reason this port isn't out in the open. Wouldn't want just anyone getting at it, would you?" he responded cheerfully, stepping back around. "The deprogrammer will be with you in just a moment, try not to give them such a scare, will you?"

I nodded, the motion feeling odd with the asymmetric weight of my skull. The mechanic hefted his toolbag and headed out of the room, and I tried to return to that quiet awareness again; it was better than dwelling on the fact that my processors, the damnable lump of silicon and gold that made me me, were currently without the half-inch of starforged steel that protected it from the world.

Even months on, I still couldn't get used to it. The wire snaking out of the back of my head and over my shoulder wasn't helping.

The door clicked open.

"So, Dora, how are we doing today?" Cameron asked, taking a seat opposite. They were a Mechanist, obviously, one a bit on the small size, and they did all their reading with a monocle lens over one eye. I can only assume they preferred very small fonts.

"A bit overwhelmed, to be honest," I replied. Cameron nodded, plucking their computer book from the bag beside the chair and plugging in the wire currently running to my processors.

"What do we say we work on that a little?" they asked.

"If we could, please?"

Deprogramming wasn't reprogramming, as much as skittish machines might conflate the two. From what I understood, the programming of machines was dynamic, unlike the static code executed by, say, a horse's navigational computer or the regulatory tabulator on a transmutative reactor. That's what made us self-aware, the fact that the act of executing our code changed it. I brought up relevant sections of programming as I talked, which Cameron saw in their codebook; they could see all the little links and loops and we could talk about it.

We were robust systems built on a strong foundation, but glitches would emerge in any system if subject to the wrong circumstance. Or, as the quote under the framed portrait in Cameron's office liked to remind me, "I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?'"

The book powered on, and I could see characters scroll across it, my processes rendered in code as I thought them. Following my eyes, Cameron lifted the book and settled in. Right. First thing I asked when I'd first come in was to see my own code. After assuring me that everyone asked that, he told me it wasn't advisable. Quickest path to thinking yourself into an infinite loop, and I had more than enough of those.

"Right, so, tell me about your week. How are you holding up?"

Deprogramming is something that soldiers talk about with a sort of reverent fear, and it had made it unthinkable to me for years, but now that I've started, it's a rather pleasant experience for the most part. Of course, it helped that Cameron was one of the most patient machines I'd ever had the pleasure of interacting with.

I certainly had a lot to talk about in any case, with the week I'd had. Cameron never judged anything I said, just listening patiently, reading the code as I dredged up everything that had happened. The first few sessions had been dense, awful things, picking at the memories and trauma at the centre of all my problems. But now that we had a solid grasp on my issues and could deal with them one week at a time, things were far more routine.

"Well enough, I suppose. It's been very busy with the war games and all; we got a bit of a nasty shock because the French rolled right over us. They had, um… Sorry, I don't want to get too technical."

"Go as much into it as you like, I just might have to ask you to explain some things," Cameron assured me. "For starters, I'm not exactly sure what a 'war game' is, though I suspect it's not something done on a board with dice."

I explained, as best I could, what it was and how it had unfolded, and I got a bit carried away. Cameron would always tell me not to stop talking about things that were important to me; it was healthy to express one's interests and all that. They listened intently, making the occasional note on a pad as I continued on to tell them about dinner and the Machine Officer's Club.

"If I could cut you off there? The way you're talking about the club is beginning to sound a lot like blaming yourself for not handling it perfectly. How reasonable is it to do that? You spend most of your time alone or with one or two close friends at a time, and interacting with groups of others, of strangers, is a skill that has to be developed."

"I just wish I'd not been so uncomfortable," I admitted.

"The elimination of discomfort is neither our goal, nor something to be desired. Discomfort is very often just something testing our boundaries. While not all boundaries are healthy, having none wouldn't be good either," they reminded me. "And testing our boundaries is very often how we grow."

"Théa said something similar," I recalled, and Cameron nodded.

"She seems like quite the machine, from how you describe her. You said earlier she encouraged you to make friends with the other French officers, your peers, and I think that's a good impulse."

I dwelt on that a moment; I wanted to talk about Théa, I felt I needed to, but I wasn't exactly sure what to say because I couldn't figure out exactly how I felt. But, as Cameron had frequently reminded me, staying quiet about such things helped nobody, least of all myself.

"About that…" I started, pausing for a moment. Trying to compose it. "I've been, I suppose, keenly aware of the ways I'm out of place, and it's been… haunting me, I suppose. Especially after the date with that Messenger I told you about, and everything with Kennedy and Beatrice… I know there's more to these things than romance, but it makes it all… stark, you know?"

"That makes sense," Cameron agreed.

"The thing I keep ending up thinking is that Beatrice was, in retrospect, my one chance. Another machine out of place, but comfortable with it. There wouldn't be an imbalance. And then I ruined it-"

"Being reported as dead due to circumstances far beyond your control is not you ruining it," Cameron reminded me yet again. I groaned.

"Yes, yes, but my point is… I don't know what my point is," I admitted. The thoughts, which had never really been that coherent, had completely broken down, liquid flowing between my mental fingers. Cameron nodded slowly.

"That's okay. Take your time. If you don't mind me changing the subject… did you manage to get that joint of yours replaced with a proper one?"

"... no," I admitted. "I've just not got around to it. Besides, the current joint would hold a while longer, so I'm not… I'm making excuses, aren't I?"

"It's good you recognized it, at least!" they replied, clearly pleased. "You'll forgive me making the presumption, but I have a feeling this ties more generally to your unwillingness to spend money on yourself?"

"I think so, yes," I admitted. "I'm not very good at that. I only come here because I promised Miriam…"

"I know," Cameron said quietly. Of course, they could probably see it whenever it came up. "I am glad you come anyway. But you've said yourself you find it easy to put things like this off."

"I… I have this absurd conviction that I need to conserve that time and money for others. I know it doesn't make sense, I can't help anyone if my bloody leg's off…"

"But knowing about a thought doesn't stop it. Hmm… Can I leave you a comment about this, perhaps?"

I'd been wary of it, worried about letting some strange machine make changes in my programming, even changes we both agreed to. But something this small, this simple, just a reminder, it seemed very reasonable. It might also be a good way to acclimate myself to the idea, which was probably what Cameron was thinking.

"I'd like that, yes," I admitted.

"Good!" Cameron said, plucking their pen from the charger and twirling it dexterously through their fingers. "Let's sort this out, shall we? Now, what will you do tomorrow morning?"

"Go to the regimental engineer and buy a new part. Bring it home, have Tom install it," I replied, fidgeting with my hands rather uncomfortably. "Simple as that. Just go buy it."

Cameron started scratching away at the code I'd brought up. I had expected it to feel like something, something cold maybe, but it never did.

"Okay, there we are. Let's go over it again. Tomorrow morning, you'll just go buy the part?"

"I'm just going to buy the part. It'll be easy," I confirmed, feeling a dread I couldn't place. And then another thought, one in another voice.

//To help others you must first help yourself.

As much as I sometimes wished Cameron would take a pen and strike out all the awful things resting in my drives, it wouldn't work. Those things were me, etched inexorably into the way I thought. Every time I'd dwelt on them, every time I'd repressed an authentic expression, every bad habit I'd built, they etched themselves deeper into my circuits. Every dark thought had come with increased weight on some statistic, a new variable to be referenced by other thoughts in a great tangled knot. Delete those, and my code probably wouldn't even run at this point.

For all their problems, humans are very lucky they don't run on code as we do.

"Alright, now, if you're alright with it, let's circle back around to this other Lieutenant and the French officers?" Cameron asked. I nodded. "You were talking about feeling out of place, not belonging, and about Beatrice?"

"... right, yes." I took a moment to try and compose my thoughts again; it felt a little easier this time, having had a bit of time to disentangle myself from the derailed train of thought earlier. "What I suppose I'm saying is that… the French officers seemed almost sad that I was trying to live up to the station, right? The human ones and the machine ones both."

The shape of the thought finally crystalized in my mind, the dark cloud pinned down.

"I'm worried they're right. I'm not trying to fit in, I'm trying to be human, and it's impossible. I'm worried I'm setting myself up for inevitable failure."

Cameron watched the code for a while, then looked up at me.

"I think I understand what you're saying, but I would caution that this line of thought might be, at least in part, you seeking a way this can be your fault," they cautioned. I thought about that for a while; I could see it, but it didn't seem like an answer. It didn't resolve anything.

"Maybe."

Cameron made a few final notes, then looked up from the codebook.

"I'm afraid our session is nearing its end, but I'll see you in two weeks?"

---

I swallowed my pride in the face of the freezing temperatures and took a cab back to the base, watching the city out of the window as night fell early. While most of Antares City was still alien to me, despite having lived here for three decades, the streets between Cameron's office and the base had at least become familiar.

Through it, I finally had an intuitive map of the city and its construction in my mind, and it rendered somewhat stark the division I found myself straddling. The city radiated out from the Duke's Palace with eight broad avenues, connected by a dozen broad boulevards, and these were lined with the human-facing portions of the city. Rowhouses, hotels, restaurants, services and entertainment of all sorts to serve almost a hundred thousand human visitors and residents during the social season.

But strung between and behind them was the rest of the city, where five million machines lived and worked, if such a distinction could be made. It was largely invisible from my perch in the cab, balanced atop its winter tires (8), just brief glimpses down the narrow alleys and sidestreets. Behind those stately buildings was a whole other world.

The cab rolled through the northern checkpoint and dropped me almost directly back at Number 18. Miriam met me at the door, her eyes bright as she took my coat.

"Welcome home, MIss. I trust you had a productive session?" she asked.

"I'm honestly never sure," I said, collapsing behind my desk and hunting for something to do. There was nothing but the half-finished memo about our missing replacements I'd scrapped, sure that everyone involved was already well aware of the problem. "I know that it's helping, but it feels like I haven't a big breakthrough in a long time…"

"If you'll excuse my saying, Miss, maintenance work is rarely exciting, but it doesn't make it any less important," she said.

"Yes. Um, for the records, tomorrow morning I'll be getting that replacement knee pin," I said. For lack of anything else, I grabbed the regulation handbook off my shelves: never hurt to reread it.

"Rereading that old thing again? You have it memorised, miss."

"You're right, but I can't think what else to do. I ought to pass the time productively at least," I said.

"I always get worried when you start saying the word ought, you know," Miriam said simply. Conceding the point, I pushed my chair back and stood up, then stopped, still unsure what exactly I was supposed to do with myself.

This was the issue. I'd spent so damnably long thinking like that, about what I ought to do, that when I looked for something else it wasn't there. Everything I came up with was just more kinds of work, but none of it was actually productive; it just soothed the tangled knot of programming that associated leisure with shame, that said a machine like me ought to have nothing but work. I got angry because a good machine ought not have these problems, and then I remembered I ought not be so hard on myself, and that got very close to dismissal, and…

I stopped. This was a cycle. I had to break the cycle. I had to do something to break it, to stop etching these toxic thoughts deeper and deeper into my circuits. Something positive.

"I need a break," I said. Miriam clapped her hands, and her eyes filled with proud excitement.

"She's learning! Miss, that's the smartest thing you've ever said! What would you like to do?" she asked. I'll admit her enthusiasm perked me up, before I got caught up on the next hurdle.

"I… don't really know. I'm not sure," I said. The only activity I could think of were dance halls. I knew of a few places in the city where machines of my persuasion frequented, but I was hardly in the mood for that. "I've not got a lot of experience… taking breaks."

"Hmm. I would ordinarily suggest a walk about the town to see what might catch your eye, but I can't recommend it so long as the weather remains this atrocious. The young Lord Antares has given our weather controllers quite the schedule."

"Why's he gone and done a thing like that?" I complained, and she chuckled.

"There's an upcoming guest for his Christmas party who is quite taken with winter. A girl he'd like to impress, as rumour has it," she said, laughing a little.

From what I remembered, Lord Antares was a tiny human child; younger than the Ensigns, if such a thing were possible. It seemed a bit much to impose on a whole city for what I could only presume was a childish crush. But then again, courtship was extremely important for humans.

"Right. So something indoors, on short notice… a gaming club, perhaps?" Miriam suggested.

"I haven't exactly got the spare coin for gambling-" I started, and she shook her head.

"No, not gambling. Games of skill, no money at stake. Backgammon, hare games, conspirateurs, agon…" she listed, clearly thinking a moment as she went.

"Chess?" I asked. "I play chess against some of the officer's in the mess, and-"

"We can't play chess, miss," Miriam said, looking at me aghast.

"Why not? Is there a rule?" I asked, "I'm quite good at it, you know, I've won every game I've-"

"... oh stars, you don't know?" Her tone was one of complete exasperation. "No, miss, we can't play chess because chess-playing was used as a benchmark when we were first designed. The game's solved; we're all as good as one can possibly be at it. We'll always beat a human, and if two machines play chess, it's always a draw."

"... oh," I felt rather guilty, not to mention a bit sour at having my victories invalidated. "That would explain why it was so easy; I felt like I knew what he'd do before he'd done it…"

"In a matter of speaking, you did," Miriam said plainly. "That said, there are chess variations we haven't got solved, and a lot of gaming clubs have those."

"Alright. That does sound nice." I said.

"Of course, this is a social activity, you should take a friend. April isn't working right now and her boyfriend is, I can have a message sent ahead of your cab right now as you get ready."

"... how do you know all that?" I asked, and she smiled.

"Because last time she was here, I asked her for her work schedule so I could do this, Miss," she explained matter-of-factly. I couldn't figure out an appropriate response; I never ceased to be amazed by the sheer amount of work Miriam put in. (9)

"If it's alright, I think I'd like to change into civvies, then. I'm not particularly feeling like going about as Lieutenant Fusilier right now."

"Completely understandable, Miss, and very adaptive. If I can suggest the light blue dress, I'll be up in a moment to help you with the ties," Miriam said, disappearing around the corner toward the servant's area, presumably to get directions to the club.

I made my way up the stairs and pushed open the frankly ludicrous closet adjoining my room, and hanging neatly within were five outfits. My well-worn sergeant's uniform, for old time's sake, my second-hand brown dress, which Miriam said I ought to keep in case I took up painting, and three new dresses. I was ill-suited for dresses, but they had their utility. My uniform got me treated differently in a way I was fairly self-conscious of, especially once they realised I was that Lieutenant Fusilier. In a dress, I could be anonymous.

The process of getting the dresses had impressed on me the differences between machine fashion and human. At Miriam's direction, I'd acquired two cheaper dresses in the machine style, all thick heavy fabric and volume, and one more along human lines. I understood the logic; there might well be a formal occasion where a military uniform would be inappropriate, such as if I ever got posted with Americans.

Still, it was by far the worst of the dresses. Human fashion showed skin; the arms were bare, and if the collar was any deeper you could see that I didn't have anything to see. The fabric was so sheer that you could see the edges of my armour plating, as if to call attention to the fact it wasn't made with my body in mind, and the in-season pastel colours looked wrong contrasted against steel.

Thankfully, the light blue dress was in a machine style. Heavy fabrics, long sleeves. Better than the alternative. Miriam hummed happily to herself while she did up the ties, and I just tried not to look too uncomfortable in the mirror.

Stars, I wish I could wear trousers everywhere.
I got my coat back with directions from Miriam, alongside confirmation that April was overjoyed to go, and stepped back out into the cold. It felt so strange that I could just go out and… have an outing. My life experience thus far was that going and hanging out with friends was something that was proposed, planned, and dreaded through letters weeks or months in advance.

Consumed by distraction, I very nearly walked into Miles coming around the edge of the fence at the end of the path, and we both went slipping a moment on the icy ground. I got the worst of it by far, crashing rather heavily to the ground and cracking quite a bit of ice in the process.

"Fusie! I was just coming to see you!" he said, extending a hand to help me up automatically. Equally unthinkingly, I took it, and we had a brief awkward moment before I managed to get myself to my feet. "Wanted to check on you after your mysterious appointment..."

"I'm touched," I said, with undue sarcasm. "I was just heading out to meet with a friend of mine, take my mind off things."

"A friend?" Miles said, and I elbowed him gently. He nearly fell into a snowbank.

"Yes, a genuine platonic friend with no implications. Stars, I swear you're more invested in my relationships than I am. It's my old friend April, we're just going out to a gaming club."

"Oh, capital! Can I come along too?" he asked. "Henry's off with his missus-to-be and all, haven't anything else to do."

"Well… it's a machine club, you understand-" I began, but he cut me off.

"Perfect then, you can smuggle me in. It can be a nice reversal of the officer's mess," he said, laughing. "If you're alright with that."

"Of course, and I can't imagine April would have a problem with it either," I said. I couldn't determine what would possibly interest him, but if he wanted to come I wasn't going to stop him.

"Maybe they'll have chess; I still have to get you back for the last few times you've thrashed me," he added, and I winced inwardly.

"Y-yes, you do…"

We got a cab from the pool of them perpetually hanging around the edge of the army base waiting for officers and contractors, and I gave them directions to the McMillan manor. After confirming twice our intended location, the cab set off, the chain tracks grinding through the ice.

"I'm guessing April's an Abby Keeper, then?" Miles guessed. "I've heard you mention her once or twice, it'll be fun to meet one of your friends from before you got respectable. Will she know any scandalous secrets?"

"About me? No, I've quite carefully lived a life too boring for scandal. I imagine she knows some things about the family she works for, but you really shouldn't pry about such things," I said quite seriously.

"Wouldn't dream of it. Not one for gossip, of course, never have been."

April was employed by the McMillan family, one of a dozen of housekeepers that kept up their manor (10) alongside a staff of almost a hundred. Of course, we didn't approach from the stately gate, but instead through the utility road, getting to see the manor's infrastructure and servants' residence tucked away out of sight of the road.

I spotted April standing in the cover of one of the entryways and cracked the door against the howling wind to wave. Then, to my surprise, the opposite door popped open and Miles hopped out of the cab, heading around to the door. He then, quite seriously, walked back to the cab alongside April, his winter cloak pulled up to shield her from the wind. I shifted over a seat as Miles opened the door and helped April up into the cab.

"H-hello, Dora, um…" April stuttered. She pulled her scarf up over her face a little more despite the heated cabin, but I could just make out the glow of pink lights under the fabric. She leaned in to whisper. "Mister Beckham here will be joining us?"

"I'm afraid so. He invited himself along…" I explained quietly, as the cabby glanced back into the carriage. I could tell he wanted to make some kind of observation about the odd set we made, but he clearly thought better of it. The cab took back off with a rattle of tracks and the roar of a pyréolophore engine (11) as we settled in.

"It's nice to finally meet you, Mister Beckham. Dora has talked about you quite a bit," April said, not quite making eye contact. "Um, I appreciate the gesture, but you didn't have to walk me out like that."

"Have to? Not strictly, but it costs nothing to be polite," Miles said warmly. I narrowed my eyes at him from across the cab, suspicious but not entirely sure why.

"Do you do that for Dora as well?" April asked, then paused. "Miss Fusilier? Properly I ought to be consistent but I'm not exactly sure how that breaks down."

I wracked my memory (12) for an answer; Miriam had taken teaching me etiquette very seriously but nothing I'd learned seemed helpful for this circumstance.

"Well, I won't be having you calling me Miss, April, for heaven's sake. Nor you, Miles," I insisted. "You can work out the rest yourself."

"Um, I don't exactly know if I'm comfortable using your given name, Mister Beckham," April admitted. He smiled warmly.

"Formal it is, then, Miss Keeper," Miles replied. A disjointed smear of random vocalisation escaped April as she shrank back behind her scarf again. Miles winced. "It is Miss, right?"

"Y-yes," April confirmed, continuing to retract further into the cushions.

"Ah, good."

The gaming hall Miriam had directed me to was a cosy little space, somewhat smaller than I'd expected. I'd pictured something more like a dance hall. The street was so narrow that we stepped out of the door of the cab almost directly onto the landing, Miles quite pointedly beating the cabby to holding the door for April and offering his hand to steady her as she leapt down.

"I'm noticing you never help me descend daintily from any cabs, Miles," I teased as I followed, and he shrugged while giving me a wide berth.

"Firstly, I know you'd hate it, and secondly, one wrong step in such an operation and you're writing an awkward letter to my mother," Miles explained. "Dear Missus Beckham, terrible news, we've folded up what's left and you'll find it enclosed…"

April lost herself in hysterics instantly; it genuinely annoyed me how Miles was effortlessly a better friend than I was.

Miles did try to open the doors, but they were effectively sealed by the pressure differential caused by the temperature; I eventually had to intervene. The machine at the desk up front, where we'd buy admission, looked up as the door opened, and then locked eyes on Miles, staring.

"Sorry, sir, are you lost?" he asked, and Miles smiled and shook his head.

"Not at all, just accompanying my friends," he replied, and the machine shrugged and went back to reading whatever he was reading. We paid and shed our hats and coats, grateful for the heated rack to warm them while we waited.

"Oh dear me, that's not right."

"Hmm?" I looked over to see Miles looking at me funny.

"Never seen you in a dress, Fusie," he said, shaking his head. He glanced over to April and pointed at me, as thought I were an interesting museum display. "Is this normal?"

"No, it's a much nicer dress than usual," April said. I felt vaguely ganged up on.

"Really? I'm shocked, I honestly thought the uniform was welded on."

"Not anymore thanks to liberal use of a prybar," I responded, chuckling. "No, I just wanted to, um..."

"You just want be Dora for a bit. I get it," he said, pulling a flask from his belt and nodding. "Right, so what's the minimum buy-in for machine games, a penny?"

"It's not a gambling hall, Mister Beckham. These are games of skill," April explained, and he frowned.

"Well, that's hardly fair," he remarked. "Favours the fellow who's good at it."

Unsure exactly of the protocol, we both turned to April, who seemed to take great joy in showing us both how the shelves were organised and the great many options we had. Miles and I examined a shelf of simple games, the sort boxies played while they learned the ropes or which usually accompanied intoxication. We were contemplating a game which resembled chess on hexagons when April came to use with a large box cradled in her arms.

"What've we got here?" Miles asked, and April held out the cover, eyes beaming.

"Waterloo, a game of strategy! I saw it and figured you'd both love it," April proclaimed. The cover showed a fanciful illustration of a 19th century battle, with lines of bright uniforms, charging cavalry, and billowing white clouds of smoke. Having now seen a real horse, it was quite apparent the artist hadn't.

"It's two players, though," I pointed out, and she shrugged.

"I think I'll have much more fun watching two professionals face off than playing the same old games again," April explained, setting it down on the table and pulling off the cover. A dizzying array of pieces lay loose in the box.

"Two players means one of us has to play the French," Miles said sceptically, and instantly I reached over and started grabbing blue pieces. "Well, that makes that easy."

We laid out the setup while April read us the instructions, laying out the green grid field we'd play on. Our 'units' were clever little red and blue pieces; cubes, pyramids, and arches, representing infantry, artillery, and calvary. They all stuck to the grid with a satisfying clunk.

Every time we advanced the turn, they'd slide across the board on little magnets to perform the last order we gave them, which were limited to simple acts like turning, stopping, moving, and forming square. The set was well-worn but in good condition, though there were a few dead pixels on the edge nearest me.

We cycled the board through a few of the scenarios before deciding on the Battle of Talavera, if simply because the previous board was La Haye Sainte and all the terrain and buildings were somewhat intimidating. Miles was muttering as he placed his troops, carefully nudging them into proper position.

"Right, so this little cube is 24th Foot, and this little cube is 5th Line of the German Legion, which I guess makes this lot the South Es-"

"Who goes first?" I asked April.

"Attackers. That's you, Mister Beckham," she said. Miles dropped his last troops in place, surveyed the board briefly, double-checked the quick reference card, and did something awful to his hands that produced a terrible cracking noise.

"Right then! My go."

Miles started tapping his pieces, cycling the little holograms above them to issue orders, and then pressed the red 'end turn' space at the edge of the board. Accompanied by little sounds of marching feet and the rolling thunder of a phantom cannon barrage, the pieces started sliding forward. Amid the dancing motes of light for smoke and shot, one of the cubes in the centre of my line grew darker and greyer, as though the colour was being sucked out of it.

"Oh, that's fun. Your turn, Fusie. Try to keep hold of the eagle this time."

"Those bloody eagles," I complained, setting my troops on the assault. Struggling to remember the particulars of how the French lost Talavera, I concentrated a force on one flank, directing my cannon fire and shuffling a few of my columns to the side. Maybe I could open a hole for my horse. "I can't believe the frogs managed to figure out a way to come at us the same old way and make it work."

"What's this?" April asked.

"Oh, the war games. Fusie is sore that we got our, uh, that we were roundly defeated on the field of simulated battle by the contemporary versions of that lot," Miles explained, pointing at my blue pieces.

"... Mister Beckham, I'll tell you what I've told Dora. I work for a living, you're perfectly allowed to swear in my presence, I'll not think anything of it," April said.

"Oh thank fucking Christ, it's hard enough to avoid in the mess. Does Fusie really not swear around you?" he asked.

"She tries," April teased.

"It's good practice! I shouldn't use coarse language around other officers, they'll think less of me," I said, and he rolled his eyes with a great exaggerated slowness. "Other than you and Henry, of course, I think you'd think less of me if I didn't."

"Too right. Also, I'm so very sorry." I winced as one of my cubes turned black as it walked directly into his grapeshot. "Your turn."

"Well, um, fuck right off, Miles, that's my right flank ruined," I groaned, removing the dead piece and staring at the board. "April, what's the rules for wheeling infantry?"

As we played I started to notice some of the machines without games were looking at us a bit strangely: it seemed normal to watch other people's games, but they were a bit reticent with us. Probably because of Miles, who was noticing at the same time.

"Oh, come watch if you like!" he said, looking up from the game and smiling. He then lowered his head, muttering. "Rather have people staring where I can see them."

"Now you know how I feel all the time," I replied.

"It's just a bit unusual's all," April said. "It's like us in the cab, the other machines are trying to work out what level of formal they ought to be around you right now."

"And I do hate that. Shouldn't be barging in and spoiling everyone's fun…" Miles spat.

"You're not spoiling anyone's fun except mine," I observed, as my front two columns were roundly obliterated in a spray of holographic musket smoke. "I could really use that energy screen."

"I'll bet. And no, I just… should have thought of it. Places like this are where you lot go to get away from humans, right?"

"It's where we go to play board games, Mister Beckham, and nothing more," April corrected roundly. "And suddenly I realise why you and Dora are such good friends."

"Oh?"

"Well, if you'll forgive me saying it, Mister Beckham, you're both so… so bloody anxious about where you are and what it means," April said, half laughing at our misfortune and half deadly-serious intervention. "Do neither of you have any practice enjoying yourselves?"

Miles snorted back laughter.

"I… have just restrained myself from making a very crude joke in mixed company and I would like to be commended for doing so," he said. April, clearly holding back laughter, carefully reached into the box, pulled out one of the plastic medals with a score counter, and offered it to him.

"Sorry, I feel I've missed the… oh. Yes. Right," I said, sighing. "You're right, April, but at the same time it is complicated. The issue with breaking rules is you quickly find all the others were put in place with certain assumptions."

"Of course, but focusing on that right now means I don't get to watch my friends play their board game, so how about we put that aside and get on with it?" April asked pointedly.

I realised only as I was reaching out to give my pieces orders that she'd quite deftly played us like fiddles simply by giving us both a person who wasn't ourselves to avoid disappointing. There were times I suspected she was my friend out of pity. (13)

I did my best to salvage the tactical situation, but it was dire. I could clearly see my mistake already, and truth be told it was over by the second turn, but I had to see if I could salvage something from this mess. April ended up shifting to my side of the board to help me with the rules; Miles seemed to have a much better intuitive grasp of them.

"So, Miss Keeper, to avoid this just becoming Fusie and I griping about work, can I ask about you?" Miles said, as I desperately flipped through the game's rulebook to try and figure out if I could reform my troops to meet a thrust from Miles' Guards and auxiliary units.

"Oh, there's not much to tell, I'm just a housekeeper," April deflected.

"Well, we're just glorified hat stands, really, and we find plenty to talk about." Miles was leaning on his hand, elbows in flagrant violation of the 'not on the table' rule.

"Come off it, there's more to it than… bugger, I see what you've done. You got me, Mister Beckham," April exclaimed, the mirth evident in her voice. She then leaned in, her voice a little lower. "I wouldn't call dusting out that castle very interesting in itself, but nobody notices us, you know…"

"Oh, go on…" Miles was leaning so far over in his chair I feared he might fall over.

"Is this that bloody affair again?" I asked, and April laughed.

"Fusie, that was over a decade ago! They've sorted that out. There's been an elopement."

What followed was a tale related entirely third-hand through conversations overheard in other rooms and pieced together by the collective staff. If even a third of it were true, it would probably make headlines should it get out.

"... and now she says he was really just after the money, which none of us believe for an instant because you should see this man. I think even Dora might stare."

"But really, both brothers?" Miles exclaimed.

"To be clear, serially," April clarified. "To the best of our knowledge. That said…" (14)

I finally figured out how to wheel and move 1st and 3rd Divisions over to meet the advance; hopefully that should do it. The artillery had cleared out the auxiliaries handily, so if I advanced rapidly enough I should have him pinned.

"It sounds like you have quite the gossip circle, then," Miles asked, and April shrugged.

"It'd be hard not to, in a place that big. Of course, there's nearly as much drama among us as there is among the family. More, honestly. It just tends to be briefer, you know, fewer hard feelings," April explained. "Of course, nothing on some of Dora's stories."

Miles shifted to stare at me, and I was very overjoyed to hit the end turn button and distract him with my patchwork assault.

"Your go, Miles," I said, and I watched him take in the state of the board. He chuckled and started punching in orders like he had them all planned out already, quite the feat for somebody who I was certain had forgotten he was playing for the past ten minutes.

"I didn't exactly think you'd have stories, Dora, the way you talk about your time in the ranks," he said, activating a unit whose tiny holographic banner indicated it was the 48th Foot.

"Well, they're not stories I was a part of, but…" I shrugged, a bit mortified to be talking about it. "Fusiliers are, as a rule, braver than we are smart, and, well…"

"I thought machines had all that sorted, you're able to move past everything easily?" Miles asked. April and I shared a wince.

"Well, that does require the machines involved to have even the slightest bit of self-awareness, and it's in short supply in the ranks," I explained, cradling my head as I remembered some of the worst incidents. "I don't know which is worse, when they fuck each other or when they get civilians involved. Do you know what happens when two stupid boxies have a punch-up about whatever Sally Baker or the like caught their eye at the music hall? I have seen shrapnel shells inflict less physical and emotional carnage."

"What about that one who stole that carriage?" April asked. I groaned.

"Right. It's '58, we're posted in some awful desert hellhole of a mining colony with the 15th Foot, and an otherwise dependable Dora in my section decides it would impress this officer valet in the other unit if she rolled up to camp in one of the local carriages. Then she figured looming over the driver and saying 'Oi, can I borrow that? Thanks love,' constituted permission to tear down the streets at full tilt and nearly run over Major Harrison. So after the arrest, she decides she's a liability and a danger to humans and throws herself off a bloody cliff. We had to dig her out of a six-foot hole in the ground, they still make fun of her for it."

"... and here I thought you lot were perfect, I've never heard of anything like this," Miles exclaimed.

"When your Sergeant quietly tells you that there's been a minor discipline issue but it's all been taken care of? They stayed up all night avoiding a diplomatic incident," I said. "And then I get my commission and find the Sergeants aren't much better. Sometimes I think when they kludged together war machines out of servants, they broke our programming a little."

"Trust me, Dora, it's not just Fusiliers. We try not to let humans see it, but we make plenty of our own mistakes," April offered. "Sometimes no hard feelings means we don't bloody learn anything, just move right on to the next mistake."

"Every time I think I have a handle on your lot, you turn out to be more human than I thought," Miles said, quieter and more seriously than he usually did. He ended his turn, and I watched as my advance utterly crumbled and white flags started popping up over my cubes. I still had some units left, but I couldn't possibly see a path to victory anymore.

"I think we should stick to chess," I muttered, and Miles plucked his pieces back.

"Fusie, this is funny, but you did exactly what the French did at the real thing." he said, laughing, "So next time, try thinking less like a frog. Want to go again?"

"April, is there something else you'd rather play?" I asked, and she shook her head.

"I want to see you two play again now that you know the rules," April said, taking back the manual and flipping through the scenarios. Every time she looked at a new page, she would tap the buttons on the side of the board to switch it to a new map. "This is far more interesting than playing one of those games with all the cards, I can never keep track."

"Is it? It felt rather one-sided, it felt like Miles already knew what to do," I complained, picking up my dead pieces and lining them up on my side of the board.

"In a sense I did. My father hired a very strict governess machine as part of my military education, you know," Miles said, "I was bound for the Coldstream Guards, remember? I could draw you a map of any battle in the Peninsular War by memory."

"Apparently," I said simply. Given how much Miles talked himself down, it was easy to underestimate him, but he knew his stuff.

"All bloody useless, of course, and awful as well. The grass caught fire at Talavera from all the musket wadding and wounded men in the field burnt to death, but they don't exactly show that with the cubes," he said darkly. "You have a good one?"

April turned the rulebook around and showed a map; SALAMANCA was written in big letters in the corner. Miles grinned.

"A classic. You take the Brits this time."

We set up and got started; there seemed an obvious route to flank on the right with my cavalry, but I was worried it was too obvious. Miles had read up on this one too, surely he'd see something like that coming. I carefully shuffled some troops over, trying to work out a better approach while Miles watched with a perfect poker face.

"Are those war games you mentioned anything like this?" April asked as I fretted over my line.

"No, though the Prussians have something like it," I said. I'd never played Kriegspiel, but Theda wouldn't stop talking about it; she had the shape of the Infantry Division piece engraved on her thigh. (15)

"They're big fake battles. We line up, set all our weapons on stun, and have a jolly good time failing to kill one another," Miles explained. "It keeps us sharp and helps us keep abreast of changing tactics and technology from across the Concert. Ours was a bit of a wake-up call; the frogs dropped so much artillery on us it broke our shield wagon through kinetic transfer. I spent most of the battle with my nose in the dirt thanks to a stun shell, but Fusie here got to fight one of their machine officers."

"Another machine officer?" April asked excitedly. "I didn't know there were others!"

"The French have a bunch; it's been…" I tried to think of a word for it. "... odd. They have their own little circle, with their own little officer club and all, playing cards and throwing knives. They've sort of cordoned themselves off."

"... I don't know if I like that," Miles said slowly.

"I'm not sure. Miles, you've talked with them, or at least been around them. What do their officers think of the machines among them?" I asked.

"Oh, the frogs are quite proud of them. Equality and brotherhood and all that Jacobin
nonsense, they love talking up how much fairer their system is," Miles said, with his opinion of their assessment clear from his tone.

"Humans do love that sort of thing. Almost every time I happen to talk to a member of the family, they ask about how our union is going," April said. "They care about it more than we do."

"That might be it then," I said, the pieces all fitting together. "The French have machine officers because their humans wanted them, wanted a sense that things were fair. So a few of their machines like me who feel they might be useful stand for elections, and the machines vote for them when they don't feel it'll deny a human a spot, right?"

"Right..?"

"But then they run into the same things I did. Going to the mess, attending events, servants, officers' quarters, repair bills, disagreeing with your newfound peers, making friends with your coworkers…" I trailed off, feeling overwhelmed. "It's hard."

"It's not just hard. It's something you're doing for yourself and not somebody else," Miles pointed out. "You lot aren't good at that."

"Yeah… so they formed a little club. Got out of the way. Stopped aiming for promotion, stopped attending the mess, stopped trying to make friends. They just filled a spot on the roster so the humans would feel things were fair," I concluded. "They started throwing knives."

"That's kind of sad," April added. I shrugged.

"I dunno, it makes a degree of sense. This position is very strange and very isolating in a lot of ways, it avoids all the discomfort," I said. "It's almost a shame they're leaving tomorrow, I should like to go back."

"Which surely has nothing to do with that lovely Lieutenant you've been swooning over, right?" Miles taunted. April, in perfect emulation of Miles' pose, placed her elbows on the table and leaned forward with her chin in her hand, listening intently.

"Oh, who's this then?"

I shrunk in my chair; were I any more mortified I think I'd start glowing red-hot. I had absolutely no desire to discuss the immensely complicated feelings I had about Théa with Miles, I'd never hear the end of it.

"It's not like that, knock it off Miles. There's nothing going on there," I insisted loudly. He laughed, and I glared. "Seriously."

"My apologies, Dora, I read too deeply into things," he said, sounding uncharacteristically genuine. "... so are any of the other officers pretty?"
I considered throwing one of the game pieces at him, but I was worried it'd roll off and we'd never find it again. I settled for the best glare I could muster.

"How about that Messenger you mentioned you were going out with?" April added conspiratorially.

"Why does everyone care so damn much about this?" I snapped, feeling quite cornered. "I was quite content being alone for three decades, and given how things have gone since I got my commission…"

"With that Taylor and all?" April asked, shaking her head. "That was awful."

"Yes, her and…" I trailed off, but they were both looking quite expectantly at me, clearly waiting, the game forgotten. I felt like I shouldn't say anything, but these were my best and, really, only friends. Cameron was right; I had to stop trying to take things to the grave, because I was starting to run out of room in the coffin. "... there was another officer."

There was a shocked silence from April, while Miles leaned back in his chair, still with that strange serious expression.

"Of course," he said quietly. I knew he knew who it was, but anonymity still felt safer.

"A human?" April asked uselessly. I nodded. "Stars, Dora."

"I know," I said finally. "She made a little mistake and I made a much worse one that can't ever be fixed. It cost me a friend, and it was an important lesson. I don't really want to talk about this more right now, can we return to our game?"

They reassured me we could, and we set about playing largely in silence, save for Miles regaling April with some tales of his deployments with the Guards. I had a lot of time to think during our game, mostly about how exactly I was going to beat him, and it seemed to help. I very nearly had him near the end, but he managed to wheel a unit about just in time to put a volley into my flank, and my tiny cube-men broke a mere grid-square from victory.

As my last line of defences fell and he casually boxed in the retreating survivors, I pulled out my watch and looked with a start.

"Christ, it's quarter past nine. We should probably think about heading back."

"Has Miriam got you a curfew, then?" Miles asked, and I stumbled a minute on that idea before responding.

"No, we just have an early day tomorrow, and April has work. I'd like to be well-rested-" I stopped, seeing the look of disappointment on both their faces. "What?"

"Dora, dear, this is the first time I've seen you voluntarily do something that wasn't work-related since I've known you," April pointed out seriously.

"I'm halfway expecting you to say that Miriam convinced you that playing board games is an important part of an officer's development," Miles added.

"... that does sound like me, doesn't it?" I admitted, "What's your point?"

"My point is, what if instead of going home and getting a full night's recharging or whatever you do, you stay out a while longer and let tomorrow's Fusie handle it? Just for once?" he said.

April nodded very seriously and gestured to the far end of the table.

"They have billiards. Have you ever played billiards? I bet you'd enjoy it."

"No? You know I haven't done things," I responded. Miles, already packing up the game, stood up and grinned.

"My God, you'd love it," he said cheerfully. "It's got everything you like: taking careful aim and hitting things. I'll watch you play the first games, it's only fair."

Infuriatingly, they were right, I did enjoy it. I beat both April and Miles so handily at it I began to suspect I had some kind of inbuilt calculator dedicated to the task. Much as with chess, I decided not to tell them; I had to take these victories where I could.

1. I wake up fairly early and stay in earshot of the door. I have excellent hearing and she is very predictable.
  2. And they wouldn't until they passed the certification exams.
  3. The Royal Machine Company, the crown corporation of the era responsible for British Fusiliers, as well as many other types of machines. It was one of the two descendants of the British Working Machine Company, the entity founded to manufacture the first machines; the other is the still-extant Universal Standardisation Bureau of the Galactic Concert, which has its origins in the BWMC's extremely persistent patent and licensing department.
  4. The convention of machine names was established when there might only be one machine of a sort in a household or factory, two at most. This has led to a lot of nicknames, variations, and related names, especially in the Army, and particularly once a machine is promoted past private and is singled out more often because of it.
  5. Being French, this is regrettably Celsius, though its Fahrenheit conversion is close enough for discomfort.
  6. For those curious about the glove etiquette of 2158, these circumstances were while in private, while eating, while shaking hands with a peer, if the glove is damaged, when retiring to bed, while writing, and, if the gloves are white, while operating a horse.
  7. For our human readers; there is a weak taboo among machines against romantic or sexual relationships between machines of the same type. It's a little bit human cultural influence mixing with the way machine types are seen as extended families, but mostly it's simply that dating a machine working the same job is unlikely to leave you much to talk about. That's less of a factor between our Lieutenants here.
  8. Before repulsor cabs were common, to supplement the winter fleet of track-layer cabs, some companies in Antares Cities fitted large, nearly-spherical low pressure tires to their wheeled cabs and horses.
  9. Human readers might not understand how telling this is; nothing about this was exceptional on my part. Coordinating schedules around one another's shifts is a basic part of friendships among machines.
  10. The third-largest on the station at the time. Unlike the other large manor-keepers, who were high aristocracy granted land in the city by the Duke, the McMillans were industrialists who owned much of the chemical industry in the city, and kept their primary residence there to oversee production.
  11. Carbon-burning engines and generators were still common in cold environments for another fifty years; places like Antares City could simply filter out the excess carbon as part of atmospheric regulation. They weren't as affected by cold as batteries.
  12. I believe the polite thing to do is avoid these exact circumstances at all cost.
  13. While I normally avoid commenting on such things, I helped April preserve the hundreds of sprawling, multi-page letters the Lieutenant Colonel wrote from her deployments. They carefully chronicled the strange and beautiful things she saw out in the void and the struggles of her comrades, in great detail and increasingly sophisticated prose.

When she saw them on my desk, she asked why April hadn't thrown them out.
  14. I looked up the situation out of curiosity. Damages were settled out of court.
  15. To this day I am unsure how she knows this.

Last edited:
Oh, this is lovely. Slight refinement of the prior version, but still quite entertaining. The little changes flesh things out quite well and make things more interesting as well as sensible. And the footnotes remain delightful(and also somewhat distressing, like note 13... Fusie has some serious struggles with her self worth, poor gal)

"It's five degrees today!" she exclaimed cheerfully.

"Why?" Ensign Kelly blurted out, looking horrified.

"I don't know. Maybe the Duke wants a particularly white Christmas?"
The fact that they're still using Fahrenheit really does put a pin in just how far the machines are prepared to go to indulge their dear silly humans.
"What then?"

"Oh, don't do that. That's a bad plan," Miles said, "Try always having a fusilier around, that's what I do."
If I didn't love you already, I would now.

Last edited:
sorry we're starting off with so much fairly small rewrites; I'm basically doing the same plot as the last draft, but it'll start moving much faster and be more focused. This week is yet another mess beyond my control, but I'll try to have an update before friday.

Also, until we're solidly in new writing territory, would people prefer more big chunky posts like this with multiple chapters, or more bite-sized stuff?

I'm perfectly happy to read this in whatever form is most convenient for you to post; I'm just chuffed that it's back and looking forward to seeing where it goes.

I'm happy with either, my only wish is for the footnotes to be easier to read while on mobile

Another comment on it being good to see Fusie again! I'd agree the bulk footnotes are a bit awkward on mobile, possibly using a spare color on the superscript so they jump out of the main text more when scrolling back and forth for them? Good use of them though!

Back