Let's Play Every Final Fantasy Game In Order Of Release [Now Playing: Final Fantasy Tactics]

Final Fantasy VIII, Part 16.B: The Balamb Garden Civil War
Anyway, speaking of nothing in particular...

Oh yeah, combat encounters!

Oh no, combat encounters!

This is the Tri-Face. It's got 7201 HP, a full-screen poison-confusion attack that deals high damage, and can spit acid. Each one is a genuinely tough combat encounter, but brings in a ton of XP, and since Zell is lagging down at lv 15 I decide to fight a few to try and get our boy up in levels. That's easier said than done, though; Sleep-Attack ends up being our main way of keeping these fights under control; it's real cheesy, but otherwise I would just be there all day spending all my Curas without making much progress. The Tri-Faces' Draw lists do offer Slow and Bio, so I help myself to a bunch of those, but the gains feel slim.

Incidentally my Limit Breaks trigger a few times due to just how much damage they output and they feel… really weak? Angelo Cannon deals 295 damage to a Tri-Face, which is less than Rinoa could deal with a Fira. Zell is slightly better off, his fighting game moves deal about 100 damage a hit and he can get like… Four, five hits in a LB sequence, but it's still not much. Granted, Zell also suffers from a cripplingly low level, while Rinoa has Magic junctioned but not Strength, so maybe that's the issue here. Ah well. At least we're not going to run into-

…hm.

YEAH SO IT TURNS OUT CONFUSION IS REALLY FUCKING DANGEROUS.

"How dangerous" you ask? As you can see from the Z over his face, Squall put that doggie to sleep, but not before being affected by Confusion along with Rinoa, and Squall proceeded to take down the entire party on his own. Now, Confuse is typically easy to deal with - even if we don't have Remedy, Esuna or Treatment available, simply attacking the confused character will 'slap them awake.' But Confuse also doesn't end unless removed, so if Zell is KO and Rinoa and Squall are both confused, then they'll just indefinitely spam random commands at each other, and if neither of them elects to use an attack and accidentally wake each other up, they will simply commit murder-suicide that way.

How very romantic. Let's move on.

The shutters we opened, it turns out, revealed the lower levels of the oil tanks that are still full of oil. And unlike in our world, it looks like some creatures were happily living in said oil and are unhappy about our interference.

Fortunately, the game soon provides me with the opportunity to avenge myself on a much funnier opponent: the Oilboyles.

Yes, that's their name. The Oily Boys.

They are oil-dwelling, gasteropod-like lifeforms whose bodies are packed full of oils. This makes them hilariously vulnerable to fire damage.

Ifrit hits them each for 1500 damage, and the battle is over in a couple of turns. This easily ranked among the easiest boss fights in the game so far. Once it's over, Squall reiterates that we need to hurry - the missiles could hit any minute now.

And just as he speaks these ill-fated words…

Seen from up close, those missiles are strangely plane-like - but when you think about it, what's really the difference between a cruise missile and a suicide drone? I do find the color scheme interesting though, and the shape - for one thing those war paints go unnecessarily hard, but also the curved lines of the missiles give them a blade-like, kind of unsettling aesthetic, a little alien or organic.

And.

Well.

"Why did the missiles in that one FMV do unnecessary dramatic backflips," you all asked earlier?

That's simple.

The missiles are sentient, evil demon planes.

God, we actually see that eye/camera lens swivel around to track its surroundings and the pupil contracts like a real animal. Outstanding stuff. Why are the missiles not behaving like normal missiles? Because they're full of malicious intent.

Yeah, it was my bad to expect the missiles to obey base realism and resemble real armaments. This is magitech. Whatever those things have going on in their on-board computer, it's at most only half real computing, and probably mostly paramagic.

They're also coming in incredibly close to the water, close enough to cut a wake through it, which is… Actually what you want cruise missiles for? The ability to fly close to the ground and escape detection and interception. And those demon computers aboard probably grant them incredible evasion. Yeah, Galbadia's missile tech is scary.

And it's getting closer.

And there it is. We have reached the heart of Balamb Garden. A circular room, built out of long-rusted metal panels, but at the center of which sits an apparatus that looks entirely too fantastical for its surroundings, a strange sphere carved with some kind of mystical-looking pattern. The fusion of forgotten magic and abandoned industry.

What the hell do we do now indeed, Zell?

Squall has no answer. There's a kind of pedestal, with a handle we can rotate, and it seems to be our only interface. With no other idea what to do, Squall turns it, and turns it again.

Then the whole thing stirs to life. Lightning sparks around the central apparatus. Those weird drill-like helixes start to turn. The entire dashboard comes to life, antiquated green monitors lighting up, and the platform on which our heroes stand starts to rise in the air.

Back in Cid's office, he looks around himself in confusion at the noise and tremor, and a circle of light shines in the ground, spreading beneath his feet… And the platform rises, taking him up along with the party.

Everyone is now standing on some kind of… bridge?

That's a bridge, right? It's small, but it has a computerized dashboard with indicators like you might find for altitude, a voice tube to speak to the rest of the building, it's sitting high up in the air, enough we're only seeing sky…

…you know, the whole 'oil stratum' thing was so incongruous, I legitimately did not even think to question it. Like, it was so baffling to me to have some 'oil layer' inside Balamb Garden that I didn't even pause to ask, 'what could that be for?' I just assumed there was no answer.

But now. Now it's obvious. At the heart of Balamb Garden is a giant oil reservoir, and a reactor-like machine, which can be powered up to activate a bridge.

So what's the only possible conclusion to this?

The beautiful mechanical halo which sat above Balamb Garden starts spinning and lighting up. It then goes down, its center forming a pillar of light that enshrouds the whole garden, and seems to phase through it then go down, burying into the ground with a great plume of dust. Something has happened, here, with that impact, that the dust is obscuring, and that the party can't see either, blinded by the light of the halo - but from the bridge equipment, they can tell:
The missiles are coming.

Just like in the game over cinematic for failing to modify their parameters, the missiles approach Balamb Garden and then veer off, up into the air, then immediately dive back down, looking in the process like nothing so much as birds of prey trying to confuse and terrify their target.

I think that's what's on board of these missiles. A bird-like, or cat-like intelligence, that sees Balamb Garden's strange displays of light and shielding halo and it hiding in the smoke, and treats it not as a static building, but as prey, some kind of intelligent animal to be outfoxed with swarm tactics and misdirection.

On the bridge, we see Squall look up helplessly as the missiles dart left and right, then he shields his eyes from a flash of light as they finally hit and explode…

…and Balamb Garden emerges from the smoke, having used its newfound flight capabilities to outrun the blast.

CID IS ALWAYS AN AIRSHIP PILOT. HAS BEEN SINCE THE SECOND GAME IN THE SERIES WITH VI AS THE ONLY EXCEPTION. OF COURSE IN THIS GAME HE WOULD BE COMMANDING AN AIRSHIP EVEN IF HE DOESN'T KNOW HE'S DOING IT. THE SCHOOL WAS THE AIRSHIP! IT WAS RIGHT THERE THE ENTIRE TIME, I'M SO FUCKING MAD.

FUCK.

Okay, well. At least the threat of the missiles is over now? Balamb Garden is just… Flying. Across the countryside. Zell thinks this is awesome, and we should get a better view, so down we go. It looks like the monster threat has been eradicated - the students are now pacing through the halls and mostly concerned about their school now flying at high speed through the air.

Turns out? That inexplicable observation deck from earlier wasn't so inexplicable.

Like genuinely, the jump in quality of depicting 3D characters between VII and VIII is unreal.

Blue skies. Green plains. Birds flying freely. And a girl whose hair is blowing in the wind.

How strangely like the epilogue of Final Fantasy VI. Are you fully human, Rinoa, I wonder?

There's a fun bit next that I'm mostly going to gloss over in the interests of wrapping up this update at a satisfying point - Xu calls everyone back to the bridge because there's trouble and Cid says they're heading straight to Balamb and are going to crash into the town. Everyone yells at Squall to do something even though he doesn't know how the controls work better than any of them, so he just randomly smashes buttons and somehow manages to avert disaster.

That still doesn't tell them how to actually handle the damned thing, but luckily, once diverted towards the sea, the school (which turns out to have a keel, and therefore was probably made for this purpose) settles into the water more-or-less gently.

He literally just mashed buttons at random.

Squall asks what the hell happens next, and Cid surmises that they'll just passively drift along until they can figure out the controls. Given that the school was not equipped with either boats or planes, it looks like everyone will have a few days off just hanging out, stranded at sea. "So," Cid says, "it looks like we can finally relax for a while." Then he makes a joke about how he lost his room and doesn't have anywhere to change, which I think is supposed to allude to the fact that most of his office is now occupied by the bridge's support pillar? I'd figured he had a room of his own.

And there we are.

Balamb Garden, drifting across the azure.

Man, what a chapter.

It's kind of fascinating to me how much was raised and then not resolved by instead distracting us with answers to questions we hadn't asked. Who is Garden Master NORG? Why did a fight erupt between Cid and the Faculty? What is Cid's relationship to NORG? Who knows! Did you know that Balamb Garden had secretly been a water-capable airship this entire time!? That there is a vast architecture of tunnels, machinery and oil reservoirs within the school, entirely untouched by humans and full of monsters!?

When Cid initially said Balamb Garden used to be a shelter until he 'remodeled it' I'd genuinely thought he meant that, like, most of BGU's surface construction was a modern building built on top of an old bunker complex. But no, not at all! He literally just House Flipped a vast and unknown magitech structure by swapping the decorations and turning the old bridge into his office!

This entire time, our 'school' has been a beached battleship that someone looked at, thought 'to me this seems like an oddly-shaped mall,' and proceeded to put plaster on the walls and paint them over until it did in fact look like a mall, and opened it to the world as WalmarCid.

Which means…

The other Gardens have to be the same way, don't they? Galbadia Garden was incredibly similar to BGU in appearance. If Cid didn't build his own Garden, merely repurposed a pre-existing construction, then Martine probably didn't build his either.

Which would explain why each Garden is so visually similar despite having been founded by different people. Huh. Now I'm really curious as to what Trabia Garden looks like. Or… what's left of it, anyway.

Actually, we have one last picture today - a piece of the Codex about Trabia.

Turns out, the Moombas, those mascot critters from back at the prison, are from there! And it's a wild and inhospitable place inhabited only by said Moombas and the 'Shumi tribe,' plus Trabia Garden.

I don't want to assume insensitive material that hasn't been shown before, but. Knowing the connotations often associated with the word 'tribe' in fantasy contexts. Especially tribes that live in hostile, frozen far northern climes…

Is Selphie a D&D Barbarian who had a makeover after going to school? Is that why she is so cheerful, comfortable with violence, and utterly fascinated by trains?

This is probably not the case, but it's wild to imagine.

Anyway. I have no idea where the story goes from here, but I'm excited to find out.

Thank you for reading.

Next Time: Squall gives Rinoa a tour of his school.

This is something I've been noticing more and more: even as my damage is completely failing to keep up with enemy HP, my Summon damage remains competitive. A Blizzara cast from Squall, who has decent Magic damage, deals maybe 200 damage out of an HP pool in the thousand. But Quetzacotl hits for 900, Ifrit for 600. Even taking account the increased casting times for summons, GFs are literally my most efficient form of damage dealing at this stage.
I want to quote this just in case I want to revisit it later.

I don't know what an 'oil stratum' is supposed to be in this context. Like, you'd normally talk about this in geological term, looking for oil deposits in the ground? But the way Squall talks about it is like there is an entire layer of the garden that is, like… Oil-filled? Oil-based?
I think what's trying to be communicated is that Squall has noticed that the surfaces in this area are oil-smeared, where he can touch the side of the pipe and oily residue wipes off. So oil routinely gets pumped through here and coats everything, making monsters a walking fire hazard.

…and Balamb Garden emerges from the smoke, having used its newfound flight capabilities to outrun the blast.
Genuinely one of the great moments of FF8, and really clever, transforming the ginormous building into a big honking transport unit.

This is something I've been noticing more and more: even as my damage is completely failing to keep up with enemy HP, my Summon damage remains competitive. A Blizzara cast from Squall, who has decent Magic damage, deals maybe 200 damage out of an HP pool in the thousand. But Quetzacotl hits for 900, Ifrit for 600. Even taking account the increased casting times for summons, GFs are literally my most efficient form of damage dealing at this stage.
As the game progresses I think that it just generally assumes that you have 100 spells junctioned in every stat.

And so you've seen one of FF8's Big Surprises--namely, that the Battle Anime High School was--in fact--a humongous hovercraft, capable of land and sea travel.

It's a fun little surprise, to say the least.

The other Gardens have to be the same way, don't they? Galbadia Garden was incredibly similar to BGU in appearance. If Cid didn't build his own Garden, merely repurposed a pre-existing construction, then Martine probably didn't build his either.

New theory: The reason the Sorceress is trying to destroy the gardens is because they're all actually spaceships and not just airships. She's serving whats-their-name who's on the moon and is making sure nobody can actually get to them to stop the monster invasions.

Garden Faculty: [To students] "Find the headmaster!"
Squall, mentally: "(What's going on? Are they evacuating?)"
Garden Faculty: "Seize him! Kill him if you have to! Go!"
Squall, mentally: "(What!?)"
Garden Faculty: "Go!"

…okay, so. That's not quite what I was expecting. The Faculty members seem to have turned against Cid, and they are actively giving students orders to hunt him down. On the next screen, same scene, students running around while a Faculty member directs them, but this time he intercepts us.
At long last, time to bring the fight to the Evil Mastermind Cid!

Or I mean, I GUESS you could side with him against these faceless facility members who are wrangling literal man-eating monsters in school hallways and sending them to attack everyone on sight. I SUPPOSE they might be considered the bad guys here.
I really like Raijin and Fujin, I do. They have a great dynamic, they're friendly to us but in a way where it's clear we'll probably end up in conflict when they realize that Seifer is our enemy now, but they're not bad guys. Fujin's EN version manages to do a lot with single-word sentences and physical acting.

With all that said… I'm guessing they never ended up finding Seifer's trail after his 'death,' so they don't know he's working for Galbadia now. Our collaboration is temporary.

Also, the Garden Faculty aren't just trying to capture or kill Cid, but also all the SeeDs?

This has to be connected to Edea, right? We know she hates SeeDs, and all of a sudden a mysterious master 'NORG' tells all the Faculty to round up the SeeDs? But if she has that kind of connection, what does she need the missile for, exactly? And if the Faculty are working with her, why are they just sitting there waiting to be nuked? Part of it could of course simply be the communication issues we know this world has meaning that people are operating dissociated, but… I can't see the full picture yet.
At a wild guess without remembering what does in fact come later, it could be that NORG (whoever he may be) is deciding to try and preemptively throw his lot in with the sorceress. Take out Cid, turn over the Garden to her, and potentially still mantain some control of it under her rule.
Notably, Squall does comment that the festival set-up "doesn't look damage so far" - are we caring more about Selphie's big project than we're letting on, Mr Leonheart?
I wonder if Squall's opinion on the festival setup here depends on if you've agreed to help or not? The game did give several chances to agree with Selphie to help with the festival, but if you refused every time I could see him just go "oh yeah guess this isn't busted yet whatever".
I gotta say I'm really impressed with how there isn't a single "Balamb Garden combat screen," but one for every individual corridor, modeled after its pre-rendered version. Also, I must have tripped a level gate on the way, because the last Bomb I fought had only Fire in its Draw list, but this bomb has Fire, Fira, Firaga, and Meltdown. If you'll recall, in VI Meltdown was a spell that was stronger than Ultima but dealt massive damage to its caster as well as its target. Here, it's… Different.
Okay wow that is one heck of a jump. Like, Fire to Fira, sure, but suddenly having Firaga and Meltdown available on a level 20 bomb? That's kind of wild, pretty sure Meltdown is straight up one of the highest tier spells in the game for some junctions, not to mention great for smacking a dangerous enemy with "no actually you have no defense".

Actually on checking, Meltdown's junctioning potential is
Mid to Awful on almost every stat except for Vitality, where it's one of the best options in the entire game.
This is a page from the informational menu on magic. A reader mentioned this a while ago, and I totally would have missed it if they hadn't, but the informational menu contains a description of every spell in the game. This is genuinely surprising to me; every previous game would have reserved the surprise effect of some magic by only revealing them once you have access to them. But here, perhaps because the menu is very bad at showing you what your options will do in the combat menu, there is instead a full list of every spell in the game, from Fire to Aura to Ultima to Flare.
I think I've alluded to this once or twice, but yep you've had... pretty much every spell in the game available to read about since early Disk 1. Guess this means I don't have to worry about spoiling spells.
Talking to the girls at the counter has them ask us if we'd like some hot dogs. Zell shouts in triumph; finally, after all this time, he's finally getting the much-desired cafeteria hot dogs!

It turns out they already finished the last of the stock. Peak comedy.
Alright, anyone taking bets on if the girls totally knew they were out of hot dogs but still called Zell over just to mess with him?
Even actually paying attention and keeping my Drawing to a minimum, Grendel is tough, mostly because it's really hard to deal meaningful damage to it with stuff that doesn't hit its elemental weaknesses… Except for Summons.

See, meanwhile I feel like my combat damage is keeping up pretty well around this point? At least for Squall in particular, he's got a strength in the low 90s or so between junctioned magic and Strength +20/40% from Ifrit, which do stack with each other if you haven't been taking advantage of that. Throw in an elemental junction or two and you're golden (though granted you did mention that's running into your new restrictions in some cases).
Squall intervenes by diving in with his sweet pose just like in the D-District Prison… Except in that prison he could do that because he was on the upper floor, so he literally saw the fight happen below and jumped down.

Did Squall climb up on the trees and circle the scene just so he could dramatically jump in from above for the sake of looking cooler???
Do you really think Squall would do that? Just climb a tree in a crisis situation to hop down and look cool?

Because he would. He really, really would.
In his office.

He was. In his own office. The entire time. "We made it look like he's hiding," Xu says, "but he's been there all along."

I'm just.

I'm gonna have an aneurysm.

How was this not the very first place the Faculty looked up? How are they not placed there right now, just in case there's something useful to be found in the headmaster's own office?
Cid used his secret evil headmaster mind trick powers, obviously. Anyone he didn't want to show up walked in, he just told them to walk out and that they found nothing.

Or Idunno he hid under his desk and the faculty aren't that bright, either or.
Headmaster Cid: "And why is that?"
Squall, mentally: "(...I don't know… Because you might screw up.)"
Squall, mentally: "(…Because I want to do more than announce the evacuation.)"
Squall, mentally: "(Because this place is important to me, too.)"
Squall, mentally: "(Because I want to find out your plan.)"
Squall, mentally: "(Because this is my home.)"
Squall, mentally: "(I have too many reasons. I don't know why… Who cares?)"
Squall: "My feelings have nothing to do with it, sir."
[Cid laughs.]
Headmaster Cid: "Heh heh, Quistis was right. You do have a hard time expressing your feelings."
Agreed on genuinely quite liking this scene. I have to say, replaying FFVIII there's a lot more Squall internal monologuing that I just skimmed over back in the day but does a lot to inform his character, rather than just being what the internet likes to stereotype as "oh look at Squall he's so whiny edgy boy".
The Minigames, Omi, the Minigames.

You can never escape them.
Pictured: Cid up in his office, thinking to himself "aw damn what if there's like, a vending machine in the basement or something? Better send Squall his salary right about now".
Incidentally my Limit Breaks trigger a few times due to just how much damage they output and they feel… really weak? Angelo Cannon deals 295 damage to a Tri-Face, which is less than Rinoa could deal with a Fira. Zell is slightly better off, his fighting game moves deal about 100 damage a hit and he can get like… Four, five hits in a LB sequence, but it's still not much. Granted, Zell also suffers from a cripplingly low level, while Rinoa has Magic junctioned but not Strength, so maybe that's the issue here.
From what I remember Rinoa's Limit Break is just kinda meh (at least at this point, there's some dog magazines that give her better random limit breaks), and Zell is just kinda fine, standard fighter fare... if you use it the way the game probably expects you to use it. If instead of working through combos until you get some cool finisher, you just mash the really short combos over and over again so they loop into each other, you can reach the point where Zell is hitting an enemy dozens of times in a row, which even if it's lower than his base attack damage really starts to add up.
…hm.

YEAH SO IT TURNS OUT CONFUSION IS REALLY FUCKING DANGEROUS.

"How dangerous" you ask? As you can see from the Z over his face, Squall put that doggie to sleep, but not before being affected by Confusion along with Rinoa, and Squall proceeded to take down the entire party on his own. Now, Confuse is typically easy to deal with - even if we don't have Remedy, Esuna or Treatment available, simply attacking the confused character will 'slap them awake.' But Confuse also doesn't end unless removed, so if Zell is KO and Rinoa and Squall are both confused, then they'll just indefinitely spam random commands at each other, and if neither of them elects to use an attack and accidentally wake each other up, they will simply commit murder-suicide that way.

How very romantic. Let's move on.
Idunno how many GFs you have so far with Status-Defense Junction or its upgrades, but I do know that basically any "what spells to junction where" guide I run into stresses that confusion is one of the spells you really, really want to shove in your status defense slots because of how dangerous it can be. Really, it's probably best to stick any statuses that completely wipe a party member from the field in there, like Confusion, Petrification, Death... not that you have all of these available at this point, but it's good to keep in mind.
"Why did the missiles in that one FMV do unnecessary dramatic backflips," you all asked earlier?

That's simple.
Jesus Christ How Horrifying
That's a bridge, right? It's small, but it has a computerized dashboard with indicators like you might find for altitude, a voice tube to speak to the rest of the building, it's sitting high up in the air, enough we're only seeing sky…

…you know, the whole 'oil stratum' thing was so incongruous, I legitimately did not even think to question it. Like, it was so baffling to me to have some 'oil layer' inside Balamb Garden that I didn't even pause to ask, 'what could that be for?' I just assumed there was no answer.

But now. Now it's obvious. At the heart of Balamb Garden is a giant oil reservoir, and a reactor-like machine, which can be powered up to activate a bridge.

CID IS ALWAYS AN AIRSHIP PILOT. HAS BEEN SINCE THE SECOND GAME IN THE SERIES WITH VI AS THE ONLY EXCEPTION. OF COURSE IN THIS GAME HE WOULD BE COMMANDING AN AIRSHIP EVEN IF HE DOESN'T KNOW HE'S DOING IT. THE SCHOOL WAS THE AIRSHIP! IT WAS RIGHT THERE THE ENTIRE TIME, I'M SO FUCKING MAD.
CONGRATS ON GETTING YOUR FIRST PROPER ACTUAL VEHICLE TO OWN OMI

YUP, IT'S LITERALLY JUST THE ENTIRE GARDEN AND IT FLIES, CONGRATULATIONS
Like genuinely, the jump in quality of depicting 3D characters between VII and VIII is unreal.
Hey, it bears repeating. We went from Popeye-Lego fusion models that slapped polygons together to very vaguely look like people, maybe, during CG cutscenes... to the FFVI standard of identical overworld and battle models for the characters and the cutscenes do in fact look like an actual person might. A little uncanny valley, maybe, but it ain't pointy-tits Tifa making weird poses as she's sent flying from an airship impact.
Hey FF8, who the hell said you could be this GD cool! What the fuck that's amazing!
All other criticisms aside, FFVIII does just have a genuinely pretty awesome aesthetic going on. Battle High School Magic Soldiers, the Galbadian Army has some fun over the top designs from the soldiers to the constant mechas to just things like the Desert Prison, the Dollet cutscene for your SeeD Entrance exam is still peak 25 years later...

I'm just.

How was this not the very first place the Faculty looked up? How are they not placed there right now, just in case there's something useful to be found in the headmaster's own office?
You need to think beneath the underneath Omicron.

Incidentally my Limit Breaks trigger a few times due to just how much damage they output and they feel… really weak? Angelo Cannon deals 295 damage to a Tri-Face, which is less than Rinoa could deal with a Fira. Zell is slightly better off, his fighting game moves deal about 100 damage a hit and he can get like… Four, five hits in a LB sequence, but it's still not much. Granted, Zell also suffers from a cripplingly low level, while Rinoa has Magic junctioned but not Strength, so maybe that's the issue here. Ah well. At least we're not going to run into-
Junctioning questions aside, I think I might know another reason why you're having trouble doing damage.

I wouldn't consider this a spoiler at all, and not addressing it will probably just make things more annoying. And you should already be aware of it (in that I'm pretty sure I remember seeing you talk about it in an update) but just in case:
Have you upgraded your weapons at all?

Last edited:
Junctioning questions aside, I think I might know another reason why you're having trouble doing damage.

I wouldn't consider this a spoiler at all, and not addressing it will probably just make things more annoying. And you should already be aware of it but just in case:
The system for that has come up in previous updates, but honestly?
Weapon Upgrades count for very little of your overall combat power in FFVIII.

Just as a quick comparison to FFVII, Cloud goes from the Buster Sword (2 materia slots, +18 Attack, +2 Magic) to let's go with Ragnarok since Proud Clod is mandatory and drops it (6 materia slots, +97 Attack, +43 Magic, +35 Spirit). Or for a closer comparison, Mythril Saber can be bought right out of Midgar for +23 Attack and +4 Magic, or Hardedge can be stolen in the Shinra Building for +32 Attack and +6 Magic.

By comparison, Squall's initial Revolver increases his Strength by 11... and his next weapon tier increases Strength by 14. Sure, that adds a bit of extra attack when things like Strength +X% are thrown in, but also magic junctioning is a static number depending on the spell junctioned and how many you have. 100 copies of Fire/Blizzard/Thunder will give you +10 Strength, 100 copies of Water (super easy to obtain before Fire Cavern with refining) gives you +20 Strength... junctioning pulls a lot more weight than weapon upgrades tend to.

The reveal of the flying school was definitely something I didn't see coming. At the time I figured the hope Cid had around the underground bunker section was some sort of magic shield, but nope!

I'd forgotten the missiles were demonic, too. That's a neat little magitech demonstration.

Unfortunately siding with evil Empires has a distinct tendency to revoke airship privileges-
6 is stuck with a dinky raft he may not even live to use, and 7 has to join with the heroic rebels to get his wings back!

It's truly incredible to me that this guy can watch the whole school busy trying to kill each other and go 'I, an enlightened centrist, understand that there are good people on both sides.' But anyway, he explains that there may Galbadian missiles on their way, which is his sole concern right now. Xu is shocked, but agrees with the emergency of the moment and says she'll warn Cid.

Who was…

Drum rolls please…

In his office.

He was. In his own office. The entire time. "We made it look like he's hiding," Xu says, "but he's been there all along."

I'm just.

Well, take into account the relative "competency" of the Faculty so far, and how they're outsourcing most of the actual efforts to monsters and anyone they think is loyal to them. So my theory is either they sent a "loyal" student to inspect the office (and said person lied that they didn't find anyone there), or they sent a monster, who either didn't notice Cid or was too dumb to report that little detail.

Well, take into account the relative "competency" of the Faculty so far, and how they're outsourcing most of the actual efforts to monsters and anyone they think is loyal to them. So my theory is either they sent a "loyal" student to inspect the office (and said person lied that they didn't find anyone there), or they sent a monster, who either didn't notice Cid or was too dumb to report that little detail.
Or they sent a monster and Cid killed it, seeing as we know non-SeeDs are capable of that and Cid is a weirdo who keeps things like a cursed lamp containing Diabolos just lying around.

So someone was asking why Balamb Garden blowing up was an instant game over last update, and this is why.

Because getting your airship blown up kinda puts the kibosh on free exploration of the world.

Garden Faculty: "I'm the one asking questions! You're just supposed to follow orders! Hey, what kind of attitude is that!? You're with Cid, aren't you!?"

I found it amusing how "what kind of attitude is that" in the Japanese script is "what is with your defiant faces". The Garden Faculty unleashes monsters on the party because he doesn't like their faces.

As an aside, the "you" in "you're just supposed to follow orders" is specifically "students" in Japanese. Which might imply some unspoken assumptions in general about Japanese attitudes towards students, rather than SeeDs in this setting in specific.

Raijin: "I dunno. At first, they were sayin' somethin' 'bout roundin' up the SeeDs, ya know? Now, everyone's either sidin' with the Garden Master or the headmaster and fightin' everywhere, ya know?"
Fujin: "DISTURBING."

This is one instance where the decision to translate Fujin's all-kanji speech as all-caps runs into slight issues. Fujin here says "原因不明困惑", which is indeed all in kanji, but has more context than just "disturbing". Translated more literally, she's saying "Cause/Reason unknown, baffled", which might be awkward to put in all-caps like usual. So the English text just leaves it at "disturbing", and relies on Raijin's later reiteration that the Disciplinary Squad has no idea what is going on either.

Zell: "Yo, guys…"
Rinoa: "The headmaster?"

This is a strange way of translating the text. More accurately, Zell is saying "hey, are you guys..." and Rinoa finishes with "(Part of) the headmaster's faction?" As in Zell and Rinoa (who are coincidentally also the party members chosen by the Japanese script site) are asking if Fujin and Raijin are with Cid's faction, not asking about Cid.

So what does Meltdown do? "Target receives damage under Vit 0. Also causes Vit 0." Given that in VI, Meltdown was a self-destruct spell, I'm worried what this means. Well, it turns out this information is incomplete; what "Vit 0" means is that Meltdown deals damage and sets its target's Vitality and Spirit to 0, those being the resistance stats of the game. So it sets the enemy's Defense values to 0.

Yeah, Meltdown is so good that most of the mid to late game boss strategies (as well as any moderately challenging enemy strat) starts with "use Meltdown to apply Vit 0". It would be considered the optimal strat if it weren't for all the other ways FFVIII lets the player break the game; as it is, it's "just" the optimal strat if you want to play fair.

Talking to the girls at the counter has them ask us if we'd like some hot dogs. Zell shouts in triumph; finally, after all this time, he's finally getting the much-desired cafeteria hot dogs!

I forget if it's mentioned before, but in Japanese the Zell-desired food is bread. Or rather パン, which is literally "bread", but more usefully pastry bread with any variety of filling; examples include "yakisoba pan", ie fried noodles stuffed into a hot dog bun, and "melon pan", ie bread with sugar filling that's baked and scored to resemble a sliced melon. There's no mention of what type of bread Zell is looking for here, which implies these students have finished off the entire cafeteria's stock of every type of bread.

I would not be surprised if these were the SeeD exam candidates who stayed in the restaurant during the Dollet mission.

That is… a lot to be hanging off assumptions and rumors, if I'm honest. Also, 'the building used to be a shelter' is a fantastically unclear sentence. Was Balamb Garden literally built on top of a bunker? Is the structure of the building itself the shelter with just a few coats of paints used to turn it into a school?

It's as unclear in Japanese too. Cid just says "shelter" in katakana, and does not elaborate, so what we see in the English translation is pretty accurate.

In order to advance, we must unlock the way to some kind of oil tanker using this wheel. The "press square as fast as possible" minigame seems impossible to do with Squall alone - I wonder if there is some interaction between the PS5 controller, PC and emulator that makes it so these kinds of inputs don't register the way they would have on the original console. Luckily, each time we fail, another of our teammates join in, first Zell, then Rinoa, which gives us a chance to look at Rinoa's hilariously dainty animation for pushing a heavy object:

"Impossible to do with Squall alone" is actually pretty much the case. The way this minigame works is you need to press the square button a certain number of times within the ten-second window, with that number decreasing depending on how many people are helping out.

With just Squall, you need to press square one hundred times in ten seconds. I sincerely doubt this is possible outside of turbo mode controllers.

If it matters, Squall and Zell together means pressing square 50 times in ten seconds, and all three means pressing square 20 times in ten seconds. If for some reason the player still cannot accomplish this, the game lets you try again with the three party members, but the number of square button presses is reduced to one. As in just press square once within ten seconds, and the minigame is over.

I don't want to assume insensitive material that hasn't been shown before, but. Knowing the connotations often associated with the word 'tribe' in fantasy contexts. Especially tribes that live in hostile, frozen far northern climes…

Is Selphie a D&D Barbarian who had a makeover after going to school? Is that why she is so cheerful, comfortable with violence, and utterly fascinated by trains?

This is probably not the case, but it's wild to imagine.

For another potential viewpoint, in the Japanese context, "tribes from the frozen far north" would bring to mind Hokkaido (then known as Ezo), and the most well-known indigenous group from there, the Ainu people.

Who do suffer from the negative stereotype of "primitive, savage, dirty barbarians", although in more recent (ie within the 20th century) times there had been attempts to portray this more positively (if patronizingly), in the "noble savage in harmony with the harsh land" sense.

In RL the Ainu people are a fast disappearing ethnic minority, because of forced assimilation policies ever since the 19th century and only recognized as an ethnic minority at all in the 2000s. So for FFVIII, it's unlikely there will be more than a token vague handwave towards the barest ideas of "pop culture Ezo culture". More likely it would be closer to modern-day Hokkaido stereotypes (Sapporo? Hakodate?), which trend towards "winter wonderland and snow sports".

In RL the Ainu people are a fast disappearing ethnic minority, because of forced assimilation policies ever since the 19th century and only recognized as an ethnic minority at all in the 2000s. So for FFVIII, it's unlikely there will be more than a token vague handwave towards the barest ideas of "pop culture Ezo culture". More likely it would be closer to modern-day Hokkaido stereotypes (Sapporo? Hakodate?), which trend towards "winter wonderland and snow sports".
Can't be winter sports, they did that one already. Unless they want to do a reprise of the snowboarding minigame.

This is one instance where the decision to translate Fujin's all-kanji speech as all-caps runs into slight issues. Fujin here says "原因不明困惑", which is indeed all in kanji, but has more context than just "disturbing". Translated more literally, she's saying "Cause/Reason unknown, baffled", which might be awkward to put in all-caps like usual. So the English text just leaves it at "disturbing", and relies on Raijin's later reiteration that the Disciplinary Squad has no idea what is going on either.
Sounds like they could have just gone with "BAFFLING."

But I think the general meaning does get through with the version we have.

Squall gives Rinoa a tour of his school.
Ok, since you know this already - it is actually possible to miss half the tour if you do things incorrectly. The tour is set up so that you start at the dormitory, and then the next plot flag shows up the moment you enter the central hallway, so if you go the normal way around, you risk entering the atrium and cutting the tour short due to the plot flag being triggered.

To get the full tour, you want to go to the cafeteria, quad and infirmary, then double back without going into the central hall, instead moving clockwise past the entrance of infirmary, quad and cafeteria to then continue on to the garage, the training center and the library. Then you go to the hall. Or you could do it the other way around, I guess (garage-training center-library-cafeteria-quad-infirmary), but I think the library makes for the superior ending to the sequence.

Also, about this:
The boy shouts that he's gonna fight; the rebel student sneers 'this should be interesting' like a cheap anime villain, and gets instantly owned as a cheap anime villain by the boy kicking him in the shin, which in this universe appears to be an incredibly powerful disabling technique.
This kid is, naturally, the same who you can see running around the Garden normally. If you decide to not interfere in this fight, then going forward, the running kid no longer appears; further, he has a unique card, and if he disappear, the little girl later has that card, which she says "I found in the training center". So... make of that what you will, in terms of your actions in this section having in-game consequences.

Last edited:
Squall, mentally: "(What the hell is going on?)"
Garden Faculty: "You three, which side are you on?"
Squall, mentally: "(Huh?)"
Garden Faculty: "Answer the question! Are you with the Garden Master, or are you with Cid!?"
Squall: "I don't understand what you're talking about."
Garden Faculty: "Do you swear your allegiance to Garden Master NORG?"
Squall: ["(...I guess… for now)"] / "(...I don't get it)"
Squall: "Can you tell me what's going on?"

I lowkey love this. Squall is genuinely so mentally stunlocked by what he's seeing that he just stands there silent with a gormless look on his face long enough for the Faculty guy to scream at him about NORG (which I must admit like Spoony I hear screamed forcefully like Pinky from Pinky and the Brain). Bro was probably so relieved that the unexpected social interaction defaulted to violence.

We are greeted by another student labeled as Nida, a name I've never heard before, and Squall asks him pretty rudely who he is, whereupon it turns out it's the fourth student from the graduation ceremony, you know, the only other guy to make it into SeeD, who was on the same exam and at the same ceremony as Squall, who plain doesn't recognize him.

Squall, you're so bad.

Squall: "(killing myself killing myself killing myself killing myself killing myself killing myself killing myself killing myself killing myself-)"

The Cafeteria is on the other side. According to the SeeDs, they gathered in multiple places to give multiple potential locations for the Faculty to hunt down, scattering their forces, so that they wouldn't be able to make a coordinated assault. That idea was Xu's brainchild, apparently.

Zell: "killing myself killing myself killing myself killing myself killing myself killing myself killing myself killing myself killing myself killing myself-"

The name of the game is simply to use Squall's attacks to put the dino to sleep, then spam Blizzara, using Double to make it go faster, and then run down the thing's enormous HP bar with Squall doing more attacks whenever it wakes up. This ends up being a very easy fight… And as good an opportunity as any to try Meltdown.

Oh hell yeah baby, it's Hyper-Beam.

It even does spaghettification effects on the T-Rexaur's model, that's outstanding.

You didn't just kill him you Photoshop Smear Tooled his ass, he's not burnt he's become a breakfast sandwich condiment.

Headmaster Cid: "You can rest assured. I am just going to try something. There still may be a way to save the Garden."
[Cid takes a few step, but then visibly weakens and falls to his knee.]
Squall, mentally: "(Against missiles…? How?)"

Headmaster Cid, according to Squall's mind:

Squall: [He steps forward.] "Sir, I'd like to handle whatever it is that you're planning."
Headmaster Cid: "And why is that?"
Squall, mentally: "(...I don't know… Because you might screw up.)"
Squall, mentally: "(…Because I want to do more than announce the evacuation.)"
Squall, mentally: "(Because this place is important to me, too.)"
Squall, mentally: "(Because I want to find out your plan.)"
Squall, mentally: "(Because this is my home.)"
Squall, mentally: "(I have too many reasons. I don't know why… Who cares?)"
Squall: "My feelings have nothing to do with it, sir."
[Cid laughs.]
Headmaster Cid: "Heh heh, Quistis was right. You do have a hard time expressing your feelings."
Squall, mentally: "(Why bother. And what is this? Am I being judged?)"
Squall: "Sir! Please tell us your plan!"
I imagine Cid could tell Squall's mental dialogue was happening because bro was vibrating with Speedforce energy due to having more than a single emotion at once.

We head down, meet up with the group, Rinoa says Squall must have been scared as hell and we get a chance to either admit to it or play it off as nothing new, which makes everyone do an exasperated sigh gesture. I like that by now they can see through Squall's bullshit and show it sometimes.
That's cute, reminds me of how by Rebirth everyone's wise enough to Cloud's act they spend like the entire Mithril Mine razzing him and eventually each other.

And just as he speaks these ill-fated words…

Seen from up close, those missiles are strangely plane-like - but when you think about it, what's really the difference between a cruise missile and a suicide drone? I do find the color scheme interesting though, and the shape - for one thing those war paints go unnecessarily hard, but also the curved lines of the missiles give them a blade-like, kind of unsettling aesthetic, a little alien or organic.

And.

Well.

That's simple.

God, we actually see that eye/camera lens swivel around to track its surroundings and the pupil contracts like a real animal. Outstanding stuff. Why are the missiles not behaving like normal missiles? Because they're full of malicious intent.
This goes so hard actually, this is where Ace Combat needs to go to step up its game-

The beautiful mechanical halo which sat above Balamb Garden starts spinning and lighting up. It then goes down, its center forming a pillar of light that enshrouds the whole garden, and seems to phase through it then go down, burying into the ground with a great plume of dust. Something has happened, here, with that impact, that the dust is obscuring, and that the party can't see either, blinded by the light of the halo - but from the bridge equipment, they can tell:
The missiles are coming.

Just like in the game over cinematic for failing to modify their parameters, the missiles approach Balamb Garden and then veer off, up into the air, then immediately dive back down, looking in the process like nothing so much as birds of prey trying to confuse and terrify their target.

I think that's what's on board of these missiles. A bird-like, or cat-like intelligence, that sees Balamb Garden's strange displays of light and shielding halo and it hiding in the smoke, and treats it not as a static building, but as prey, some kind of intelligent animal to be outfoxed with swarm tactics and misdirection.

On the bridge, we see Squall look up helplessly as the missiles dart left and right, then he shields his eyes from a flash of light as they finally hit and explode…

This goes so hard honestly, best airship reveal in the series so far. You can practically hear the Star Trek theme starting up as the Garden flies out of the dust cloud, proudly swinging its dick from side to side.

Also it's really funny for Cid to be like "(aw damn my office is half cockpit now where am i supposed to do my taxes...)"

I have to say the immediate mental image this conjured up was of Selphie being like "woooow look a train!", bounding over to the carriage, and casually picking it up off the rails to nuzzle like a teddy bear before putting it back. The only reason she's not the game's Sabin-like is because Zell beat her to signups.

God, I love Selphie. When she first showed up I never expected one of her most consistent character traits to be "love of random destruction and carnage." Fantastic headliner for this sequence.
she's not evil, she just lacks empathy and goes into a disassociative state and... well she hasn't committed atrocities yet, but she's a morally ambiguous mercenary. give her time.

Back