Let's make a(nother) Pokémon Region: Going down to Somni

Intro: Region, Gyms, evil Team, and Professor

ArlequineLunaire

The future's now, old man! (Avatar drawn by me)
Pronouns
She/Her
A while ago I made a collaborative worldbuilding thread for a Pokémon region, and I was itching to do something like it again but starting fresh. There the region was based on the Pacific Northwest, but this time we'll be heading to all the way over the ocean to Somni, a region based on Sydney and the surrounding metropolitan area.

In this thread, users take turns in creating a Pokémon region, stating various 'facts' about it. There's no upper limit on how many facts you can post, although please be considerate to leave stuff for other posters. Also, while you can question what another poster has submitted, you can't contradict what they've said, unless they themselves retract it.

I chose Sydney as the basis for a few reasons, mainly that myself and a fair few fellow SV users, including admin Ford and several mods, are from Australia (though not necessarily living in Sydney), so more people may be familiar with it than other region ideas I had. Also, most Australia-based Pokémon regions use the entire country as a basis, which never sat right with me due to the sheer size of Australia, whereas the biggest area a canon Pokémon region has been based on in northern France for Kalos. I wanted a specifically urban part of Australia, to contrast with its typical Outback image, even though most of the population doesn't live there, though there many be a few outback-like areas as you head west.

The Sydney Metropolitan Area is a surprisingly big place, having 658 suburbs at time of writing, and an estimated 25% of the city is covered by trees, so there's still more wilderness than you may expect. Somni will expand a little outward to include areas like the Blue Mountains, and Dharug and Dharawal national parks, as its limits.
The name Somni comes from Somnium, the Latin word for dream, as well as containing the word omni or 'all', and starting and ending on the same sounds as Sydney does.

Anyway, a few points to start us off:
  • Somni's Gyms are based around Habitats rather than Types, so for instance a Forest Gym could have a Breloom, Raichu and Heracross, while a Desert Gym could have a Flygon, Cacturne and Scrafty.
  • The evil Team here is called Team Vanish, stage magicians who use illusions to steal Trainers' Pokemon, before 'regifting' said Pokemon to other Trainers Vanish deems 'deserving'. Common Pokémon they use are Lopunny and other rabbits, Roserade, Kadabra and other Psychic types, Mismagius, Zoroark, and so on. The real NSW has something of a gambling problem, stage magicians (who get linked with gambling what with Vegas) being a way to allude to this without being too blatant. I actually came up with the Team before remembering Hugh Jackman was in The Prestige.
  • Professor is Mehmet Waratah, a somewhat distant intellectual of Turkish (or the Pokémon equivalent) descent, who's nevertheless dedicated to helping endangered Pokémon. Admittedly he's somewhat of a flimsy concept at this point. The waratah is usually thought of as a flower, but tree varieties exist.
I was also planning to pull a Gen 5 by going with entirely Fakemon (fan-created Pokemon) for the region, with the partial exception of Somniside Regional Variants, and the Safari Zone based on Taronga Zoo where you can catch Pokemon from outside. However, I'm worried this may be difficult to implement in practice, so I'll see what other people think first.

Checklist
  • Starter Pokemon
  • New Pokemon
  • Regional Variants
  • Legendaries
  • Pseudo-Legendary
  • Gym Leaders
  • Rivals
  • 16-ish Towns
  • Names for locations

Last edited:
Legendaries could be based on the Three Sisters since the Blue Mountains are being included.

In regards to Starter Pokemon, it is believed that Fire-Type Starter Pokemon are based off the Chinese Zodiac, Water-Type Pokemon are based off of semi-aquatic animals, and Grass-Type Starter Pokemon are based off of extinct animals.

Available Zodiac Animals: Cow, Ox, Sheep, Snake.
Semi-Aquatic Animals: Platypus, Beaver, Swamp Monkey, Capybara, Mouse-Feet, etc.
Extinct Animals: Phorusrhacid, Epidendrosaurus, etc.

It is also believed that each Starter Pokemon trio follows some sort of theme. Sun/Moon was believed to have a have a classic literature theme and had a hero, villain, and damsel. X/Y was believed to have a classic RPG classes theme with a knight, mage, and rogue.

I'll leave the Grass -Type Starter, Water-Type Starter and Theme to another person and suggest that the Fire-Type Starter be a Cow or Snake.

Water obviously needs to be a platypus, if that's on the table. There's been at least one themed starter since generation 6 - the French frog, the Hawaiian pueo owl, the English football-player.

edit: also, the regional variant of Buneary/Lopunny needs to be a dark type, to reflect its nature as an "evil" invasive species

Last edited:
Water obviously needs to be a platypus, if that's on the table. There's been at least one themed starter since generation 6 - the French frog, the Hawaiian pueo owl, the English football-player.

edit: also, the regional variant of Buneary/Lopunny needs to be a dark type, to reflect its nature as an "evil" invasive species
Would you like the Platypus Starter to end up a dual Water/Poison -Type Pokemon or remain pure Water-Type?

For a potential Signature Move, perhaps a Water-Type Physical Move that would have it hit its target with its barb or barb equilivant one to two times in a row with a chance to poison it.

Fossils
Fossil Pokemon could be based on the very extensive and interesting Australian extinct megafauna

I was thinking:

- Grass/Rock based on Diprotodon
- Poison/Rock based on Megalania
- Dark/Rock based on the Thylacine (or maybe a Fight/Rock on Thylacoleo, dunno this spot)

Edit: Hell, I think the 'Invasive Species' angle could be explored in an interesting way by explicitly stating these Pokemon were driven to extinction, outcompeted by invasive Pokemon brought by Humans (and also a nod to humanity's role in the extinction of the Megafauna)

Last edited:
League, Champion and Australian Animals
Problem with basing the Fire Starter on the Chinese Zodiac though, is that it means Game Freak will more than likely get around to it at some time, leaving ours possibly redundant. Then again, Gen 9 isn't estimated to come out until at least another two years.
A Platypus starter could also be Water/Electric since they use electrolocation, maybe the type we don't use could go to a Somniside Psyduck variant? Going with a platypus also reminds me of Sydney's 2000 Olympic mascots, a platypus, echidna and kookaburra respectively, although the Cyndaquil line was already (in part) a Fire Echidna.

Speaking of which, Sydney Olympic Park/Homebush Stadium could be the site of the Pokémon League, with Rookwood Cemetery (the largest graveyard in the southern hemisphere) to the south doubling as both the Victory Road and Pokemon Tower counterparts.
My idea for the Champion was Esmeralda, a female presenter who keeps their actual gender a secret, with long pink and blue hair ending in wavy curls. Would have to go more over the region's Pokemon before filling in their team though.

For some context, I've already been working on a separate region called Croix based on Victoria, in case anyone wanted to make any references to Melbourne. The Bunyip is also mostly seen as a Victorian thing, though sighting across the country have come up.

Lastly, here's a checklist of some prominent Australian animals and plants:
  • Kangaroo
  • Emu
  • Dingo
  • Cassowary (think these are native to Queensland though)
  • Platypus
  • Echidna
  • Wombat
  • Kookaburra
  • Cockatoo
  • Bilby
  • Bluetongue Lizard
  • Frill-necked Lizard
  • Goanna
  • Bearded Dragon (had the idea that females could be Fire/Dragon while males could be Ice/Dragon)
  • Koala (was thinking a Normal/Ghost or Fire/Ghost variant for Komala)
  • Sugar Glider
  • Magpie (Dark/Flying Taillow?)
  • Bandicoot
  • Taipan snake
  • Crocodile
  • Camel (introduced, surprisingly common)
  • Funnelweb spider
  • Redback spider
  • Great White Shark (endangered)
  • Blue-ringed octopus
  • Fairy penguin
  • Quokka (all the way over in Perth though)
Edit: Actually, here's Wikipedia's list of Australian marsupials and monotremes.

Last edited:
Basic Sydney Map
I thought that it might help to create something that we could use to help us make a Town Map for the Somni Region and created the image below. The image on the left is the Sydney Metropolitan Area while the image on the right is the Sydney Metropolitan Area rotated.

If anyone has a link to the types of climate / terrains makes up the Sydney Metropolitan Area, then I could add it to the base. Or we could simply make up the terrain.

Wiki article on the Geography of Sydney. Other than the surrounding forested mountains and oceans, Sydney is mainly split up between the Cumberland Plain and the Hornsby Plateau to the north. There's beaches on the east obviously, Bondi being the most well-known, and the Western Sydney Parklands before you get to the Blue Mountains. botany bay in the south was where Europeans first landed, the Sydney CBD (Central Business District, or Sydney proper) being a bit to the north alongside the Parramatta River, Parramatta being the second-largest town in the area.

Edit: For weather, as you'd expect its mostly hot and humid, although the mist-shrouded Blue Mountains do indeed get snow (not as much as Canberra, the Snowy Mountains or the Victorian Alps though). Thunderstorms are fairly common, and people would probably be familiar with droughts and bushfires by now. We've also gotten some bizarre dust storms, one where all of Sydney's sky suddenly turned red.

Last edited:
For the starters, apart from the obvious Platypus (I agree with a water electric typing) I think a Snake for Fire (Follows the Zodiac and Snakes are synonymous with Australia, so that) and Grass Type Emu work best.

Maybe it wins dual typing with Fight as a reference to the Great Emu War

For the starters, apart from the obvious Platypus (I agree with a water electric typing) I think a Snake for Fire (Follows the Zodiac and Snakes are synonymous with Australia, so that) and Grass Type Emu work best.

Maybe it wins dual typing with Fight as a reference to the Great Emu War
I take it the grass snake gets poison for its secondary type?

Starter Type Triangle
I would recommend that the Emu be Grass/Ground-Type and that the Snake be either or Fire/Flying-Type of simply Fire-Type. That way it is kind of a double type triangle: fire > grass > water and flying > ground > electric. Not the most perfect, but...

We should also think about the kind of theme we want for them and go each could fit.

The Fire/Flying Snake should be librarian themed, the Grass/Ground emu should be miner-themed, and the electric platypus should be tailor themed

AKA, one should be carrying around some form of paper, one carrying around some form of rock, and one carrying around a pair of scissors

As a bonus it lets the emu do double duty as native species and a major Australian industry

Last edited:
I think that the librarian theme would work for the Fire/Flying-Type Snake. It could reference a book-worm in its first stage and be shy of unsure of itself. In its second stage it could reference an aide of sorts and have gained a little confidence. In its third stage it would reference a head librarian / expert, strong, knowledgeable and majestic.

I could also see the line referencing the Feathered Serpent, especially since we're thinking it'll be Fire/Flying-Type.

About the Fire Snake's final form, I was thinking it could resemble a Chinese Dragon, in contrast to the more European-looking Charizard, as Chinese New Year parades are fairly common down in Australia (though I think they're more a Melbourne thing). It could also reference fireworks, which are partly made of paper.
There's also the Rainbow Serpent, known by a whole bunch of names depending on what part of Australia, though that may be more Legendary or Pseudo-Legendary material, or 'gen mascot' a la Lucario or Zoroark.

Was also thinking, if you want a Grass/Ground miner, then a Wombat might make a little more sense than an Emu, though an Electric/Ground Wombat could also be the Pikaclone.

Was also thinking, if you want a Grass/Ground miner, then a Wombat might make a little more sense than an Emu, though an Electric/Ground Wombat could also be the Pikaclone.

Eh, if we really go with one of the Fossil Pokemon being based on Diprotodon, having two wombat based Pokemon on the Grass Typing would feel lazy.

I think the Emu is a pretty iconic animal, feel it really works as a starter

If necessary, we can change some of the Starter Pokemon to different animals; the Starter Pokemon don't have to be from the region that their games are based on.

Sydney Locations
Also, some notable locations in the Sydney area. The Harbour Bridge and Opera House probably need no introduction, and I've already mentioned Taronga Zoo, Bondi Beach, Rookwood Cemetery and Homebush Stadium, but there's also:
  • Darling Harbour and Circular Quay
  • Sydney Tower/Centrepoint observation tower
  • The Royal Botanic Gardens
  • Powerhouse Museum
  • Luna Park in North Sydney
  • Hornby Lighthouse
  • Glebe and Paddington Markets (Paddington in particular is considered Sydney's LGBT+ suburb)
  • Several malls, like Westfield, the Queen Victoria Building, Chatswood Chase, Macquarie Centre, Castle Towers etc.
  • Numerous national parks, like Ku-ring-gai Chase, Royal NP, Lane Cove NP, Berowra Valley, Malabar Headland, on top of the aforementioned Dharug, Dharawal, and Blue Mountains.
  • The Warragamba Dam to the southwest and the manmade Lake Burragorang, where Sydney gets a lot of its water, along with Prospect Reservoir a bit closer to the city.
  • Sydney Airport in Mascot, Australia's primary airport.
  • Universities like Sydney, Western Sydney Parramatta, and Macquarie (the last one I attend, albeit online).
Edit: Also, quick list of Pokemon already based on Australian fauna:
  • Kangaskhan.
  • Breloom.
  • Komala.
  • Psyduck (possibly also platypus-based).
  • Dodrio (may be part emu).
  • Cyndaquil (partly an echidna).
  • Totodile and Sandile (crocodiles).
  • Sharpedo.
  • Tentacruel and Jellicent.
  • Primarina (this one's a stretch, but a largely cross-dressing opera singer does carry Sydney vibes).

Last edited:
Guessing the yellow would be urban and suburban, brown would be rural plain, and green would be mountains and forest?

Also, I was thinking if the Grass/Ground emu's gonna be a miner, then we might want to combine him with some type of tree, whose roots can 'dig' into the earth. Probably a eucalypt/gum tree, since I think their roots can reach pretty deep.

I think an "Oceanic"-habitat gym could fit somewhere in Botany Bay? Seems like an iconic spot.

More thoughts on the platypus Water starter, since Perry reminded me we already have a spy with Inteleon, I was thinking the platypus could be based on a private detective what with the hat. Don't know how what scissors can have to do detectives though, crime scene evidence?

I think an "Oceanic"-habitat gym could fit somewhere in Botany Bay? Seems like an iconic spot.
There's actual suburb named Botany, next to the Bay, the major harbour of Port Botany, and the Sydney Airport.

I'm also pleased to see that this thread's really picking up some steam, my other region thread (Panowe) took like a year to get going.

Back