Kimi no Na Iowa, the zeroth draft (Kantai Collection/Kimi no Na Wa AU/Continuation) [Rehost]

Chapter 41
Authors' Notes: Support this story via Warp's Ko-Fi at https://ko-fi.com/2375DDLLGBXNI .

===[===]===

CHAPTER 41

===[===]===​

Yorktown was waiting outside CAPT Zelben's office door after Ayaka finished meeting with him the first day of her return to active duty. "Io—Aya—Shirokaze, a word?"

Ayaka blinked dumbly at the other shipgirl consciously using her human rather than ship name. Trying to buy time to think of something, she asked, "You got your remodel?"

Yorktown nodded. "Most of the amalgam have." Her Y-shaped barrette was no longer present. She now had a high-collared blue capelet over her original sleeveless sailor blouse. A piece of grey cloth modelled after her original flight deck went down the centre of her front, over the blouse but under the scarf. The hiding of previously-displayed cleavage clearly wasn't out of decency concerns if the new Shimakazesque protruding straps of black highleg panties were any indication. There was a two-buckled belt at the bottom of her blouse, while another belt with two X-marked blue discs for buckles held up her miniskirt. Speaking of said skirt, it was now white with blue trim. She was now wearing black pantyhose and her boots were now white with grey tongues.

Most noticeable of all, though, was the strikingly abyssal-like way glowing blue smoke came out of her left eye.

After a while, Ayaka realised she was staring. Before she could apologise for it, though, she noticed Yorktown was staring right back at the scar splitting her face.

Yorktown's gaze lingered on the scar for a few moments more before she turned to walk back to her office. The room in question had not changed noticeably since Ayaka had last seen it and was still as Spartan as before. Yorktown's beret, hanging from the old rack like the last time, had gained a pair of blue feathers, though, and a crumpled abyssal pamphlet that said "Humanity needs your country. Destroy Japan today" lay on the desk. It tingled faintly with the remnant supernal traces of something disarmed. "Welcome back. It's good to see that your repairs have been completed."

"Thank you," Ayaka said.

"Abyssal activity has been returning to normal, even if we haven't seen any Jötnar since the last attack, so it's good timing. I believe Captain Zelben told you that there are some things I need to go over with you?"

"Yes."

"Before I say anything else, you need to know that the singing to West Virginia has been discontinued."

"Wha---"

Then the implications hit Ayaka, and she grimaced, glad that she hadn't encountered the older battleship on her way in.

Yorktown didn't immediately continue, though her face twitched in ways that suggested she was trying and failing to find the right words. Ayaka had no idea what to make of Yorktown of all people being indecisive and tongue-tied.

After an uncharacteristically prolonged period of silence, Yorktown got up, hung a Do Not Disturb sign on the office door and closed it. There was the brief, barely-audible whine of an anti-snooping ward activating, and when she returned to her seat, her face sagged with guilt no longer hidden. "I tried to tender my resignation."

{Honkai Impact 3rd Original Soundtrack - The Day You Vanished with the Stars (Hoshi to Kimi ga kieta Hi)}

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN2C3xWvcbQ

Of all the things Ayaka had been expecting to hear, that was very far from the top of the list. "Eh?"

"I told Captain Zelben that I was no longer qualified to lead Uatu, much less TFVPP operations. Not after the failure of the Southeast Asian campaign."

Under normal circumstances, Ayaka would have objected to the use of the term "failure", given that TFV had managed the liberation of Borneo, east coast Peninsular Malaysia, the Philippines and Singapore before Enterprise had intervened. Granted, their staying liberated was now in doubt. Under these, the thought didn't cross her mind. "He refused?"

"He refused. I don't understand why he did. Aren't you supposed to recuse yourself when there's a conflict of interest?"

"Yes? Didn't he explain?"

"He said there wasn't anyone that could be parachuted in to replace me. A whole lot of bull. I checked with NPC and we're definitely not that shorthanded."

Ayaka thought it over. "Maybe what he meant was that there's no one qualified to replace you."

Yorktown shook her head disbelievingly. "No way. That can't be right. Surely anyone can be preferable to me."

Ayaka's lips twitched as she fought back a frown and deigned to comment, but instead made "go on" gestures.

"I went up to Admiral Abel next. She too refused the resignation."

There was a long pause, during which the two of them just looked at each other in awkward silence. Eventually, Ayaka asked, "Why are you telling me all this?"

"Who else can I tell?" Yorktown's face and voice reflected her naked frustration. "Who else is going to understand, if our superiors won't?" She put on an exaggerated falsetto at the same time as her face shaped into an equally plastic smile. "Oh, your sister is now almost literal Hitler, a traitor to surpass Benedict Arnold who's ordering around weapons that have taken the lives of millions, but no judgment, that's not going to count against you!" The fake smile now openly soured. "Give me a break. No, a therapist's not going to be good, if there's even anyone Yamashiro cleared to know about Enterprise." She couldn't keep a tinge of self-loathing out of her voice on saying the name. "Was there really no one around, that I could even say that…"

"Essex and Princeton?"

"The other element leaders? They wouldn't understand. Neither would Hammann."

"Maryland and West Virginia?"

Yorktown shook her head. "Nevada and Pennsylvania are cousins at best to them, and they didn't even fight each other directly. It's not the same."

"Augusta?"

Yorktown briefly looked at Ayaka with confusion. "Who---oh." It took her a moment to remember the heavy cruiser cursed with not one but two sisters known to be fighting against humanity. "No. We're both Summoned. It'd just be the blind leading the blind. You're my XO and an—a—"

Ayaka tilted her head. "An exhuman?"

Yorktown frowned. "I was going to use the Papa Charlie term, but yes. You're the only one who would really understand these… human things."

"I'm not… Look, I was badly affected enough by lose---by losing Yamashiro that I---I… I'm not qualified to help you."

"I don't know if there's anyone actually qualified. Whether there is doesn't matter anyway. I just need someone I can speak with about this. I told you a long time ago that I didn't need any sunken heroes, and now… now… I don't know anymore." Yorktown's head dropped into her hands and she continued mumbling through them. "Have you ever wished you could just… return to ship? No awareness, no agency, no need to think or feel? Just do what the crew makes you do, no need to pretend you have a choice?"

Ayaka raised an eyebrow in surprise. "You mean willingly give in to the Ship?"

"Yes. Stop pretending I can play at being human and fill Admiral Fletcher or Captains McWhortin or Buckmaster's shoes."

"Even if I wanted to, I can't. Even had I not married Uileag, I would still have family I can't just turn my back on in order to give of myself fully. Historical derivations aside, you Summoned start out tabula rasa, with nothing to tie you down and distract you from the mission. Not like most Natural Borns."

"Frails would say that helps you find a reason to fight, buddy… or something."

"It didn't do me any good."

Yorktown grunted noncommittally.

"Are you asking because---is that why… why the…"

"My left eye?" Yorktown raised her head enough to expose her eyes and the smoke emitted by the left one.

Ayaka nodded. "Vestal's… Vestalness aside, she wouldn't be so sloppy with your remodel as to inadequately contain your supernal waveform, would she?"

"Where'd you hear that?"

Ayaka looked confused. "Charlie and Wee Vee?"

"Right." Yorktown's lips curled self-effacingly, not noticing that it couldn't be seen through her hands. "The two with over-spec warforms. Yes, it came out that way. I told her not to bother fixing it. It doesn't hinder my vision, so I chose to keep it as a reminder of how I've failed. Is it the same with your scar?"

Ayaka resisted the urge to touch that which had been mentioned. "... Yes."

"By the way, are you going to become a shipyard?"

Ayaka was bewildered by the non sequitur that was hitting too close to home. A quick mental review later, she noted that she hadn't broached the topic with Yorktown yet, meaning the other shipgirl had somehow thought of it on her own. "Eh?"

"Humans have biological imperatives, right?"

"You just recognised I'm an exhuman."

"You know what I mean."

Ayaka twirled still-regrowing hair around a finger contemplatively. When she spoke, there was a tinge of disgust. "I'm not sure 'biological imperative' has meant much to most of mankind for a long time."

Yorktown barked out something that could only charitably be called laughter. "I've noticed. That said, everything that's happened to us is the sort of thing that makes one rethink priorities, isn't it?"

"For a human, yes," Ayaka ventured. She pressed her fingers into her palms hard enough to feel the bite of the nails in preparation for ripping the band-aid off again. "You're right, though. I can't afford to be tardy on the continuation of the bloodline after… my failures."

"Oh." Yorktown winced. "To even think about that, I must really be getting influenced by these frails' things." She paused, a look of realization overtaking her face. "Did Captain Zelben say anything?"

Ayaka thought back to the meeting just before.

"That's all I have for you today. If there's nothing else, you can go."

"There's one more thing, Sir. After…" Ayaka squeezed the chair's armrests, face setting with forced determination. "After everything that's happened, I can't afford to wait any longer to have a child."

Something flashed quickly over Zelben's face. Had she had her full faculties, she would have been able to catch it, but she wasn't fully up to speed yet after everything that had happened in the past few months. "Go ahead," he then said.

Of all the things Ayaka had been expecting, unquestioning acceptance hadn't been one of them, and her resolve faltered. "Sir? Aren't you… going to question my choices? Raise stronger objections? Lecture me about the core values or responsibility or something?"

"After everything you've done for us…" The flash occurred again. Now knowing to look out for it, this time Ayaka was able to identify a distant look of pain and sorrow. It was the most in the way of open weakness she had ever seen from Zelben. "How can we hate you, to be doing that? You have given so much to your country, and no one has the right to ask any more of you. Not me."

===[===]===​

"Your medical results are fine," Vestal said. "Still are. Doc Westenra says your psych profile is within acceptable tolerances. Not spotting any problems from the recent update to the CIC firewalls either. Aren't you glad you no longer need to worry about vulnerability to little cog-hazs like panicking from a Thorsub?"

Ayaka looked dubiously at the repair shipgirl across the table in the NAVSTA Everett medical facility's consultation room. "Are you really sure there won't be any issues?"

"When I gave you the all-clear to return to active duty, I meant it. I might be the fun one of the extended family, but I take my job seriously." Vestal rolled her eyes. "Look, even one percent of your shaft horsepower rating is over a thousand times the power a frail can output. If any of us actually had such a problem with shipbuilding, the new construction would have failed just from your stationkeeping power alone."

"That's not reassuring," Ayaka said. The human in her found the casual dismissal of the possibility of miscarriage distasteful.

Vestal sighed. "Why're you even fussing about this? If you really want some excuse to stay beached for the next year," her expression briefly twisted in a way that made clear her opinion of that, "I'm sure I could come up with something, but you don't actually want to, do you?"

"Eh? What makes you think so?" Ayaka asked, confused.

"You'd have tried harder to find some way of delaying your return to service. There're plenty of ways if you really wanted to. Even something as simple as drawing out the therapy, tests and rehab would have gotten you a few more weeks if not months, and I'm sure you could have thought of more. You didn't."

"These are both my missions," Ayaka said sombrely. "I can't compromise one for the sake of the other."

"Good for you," Vestal said, now beaming with approval. "I still think you're worrying over nothing, though. Frails might be the kind of porcelain that breaks from falling its own height and loses to what it stubs on, but we're made to withstand far greater stresses. I know our very existence is proof of higher powers, and I'm skeptical of the ludicrously long odds demanded by evolution, but I doubt the intelligence of any alleged creator entity; it doesn't make any sense for something to be so haphazardly and poorly engineered as to be unable to survive the rigours of day-to-day functioning. Don't sweat it!"

Ayaka forced a smile; if Vestal noticed, she was atypically considerate enough to not point it out. "I'll try. What about the remodel, though?"

Vestal frowned. "I know you want to get up to date with the rest of your amalgam, and so do I, but the resilience of the hull in the face of the expected rigours of normal operation is one thing. The effects of carrying out a remodel in your current condition are another. Down to your drives and up to your CIC and almost everything in between will be altered and improved. It's not a risk I want to take right now."

===[===]===​

The convoy left Everett and entered open water uneventfully.

Not that that said much. If the situation devolved to the point that even the Salish Sea was being contested, things were really FUBAR.

TransMat use, while having been successfully tested by this point, still remained inefficient enough as to not be adequate replacement for conventional shipping yet. Farcasting, even more so.

Ayaka had been told in no uncertain terms by Yorktown that if she experienced any discomfort or performance issues, she needed to inform the rest immediately. She was of two minds on this. The sensible side of her that was worried about miscarrying appreciated the concern. However, there was another part of her, perhaps more in tune with the Ship, that resented being treated like a glass sculpture.

After Uatu One was relieved, resupplied, maintained, and finished with its admin matters, Ayaka decided she wanted to start the voyage right with an early night and headed to her bunk.

Half an hour later, she was still awake.

{Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown Original Soundtrack - Last Hope I}

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3bUAbklzcc

She was already missing Uileag.

She closed her eyes and tried once more to relax and clear her mind.

She had not gone long before getting struck by a vivid sinking feeling. Her mind now very much not clear and thinking she was floundering, she grabbed for the edges of the bunk, forcing open her eyes and down the Ship's instinctual desire to summon rigging.

She lay still for a while, inexplicably gasping for air despite having no physical basis for doing so. Even as she recovered her breath, though, she realised she had briefly glimpsed at the solution to her problem.

"Listen to the thread's voice."

The most fundamental teaching of the Shirokaze Shrine was also its most difficult. Transcending the surface-level impressions of reality that insisted that threads don't talk was but the first step, something Ayaka had learnt long before she had come to know of her true nature. It underpinned everything else. Regardless of certification from Kogakkan or Kokugakuin or rote (heh) mastery of the rituals, it was grasping and reflecting this understanding in deed that allowed one to rise from apprentice to full shinshoku in the Shirokaze ways. Already some of the aspirants she had previously seen had been found incapable. Ichiyo had had to inform them with heavy heart that this meant that they would never rise beyond apprentice were they to try staying on instead of accepting an otherwise glowing recommendation letter to take to a different shrine that they might have affinity with. Regrettable though it might be, no master of a secular craft could in good conscience call qualified an apprentice who could not grasp the core of his teachings. This was no different.

Forcibly centering herself and bringing her breath back into an even pace, Ayaka closed her eyes again and deliberately sought out the sinking feeling. The Ship protested, but this time being on purpose, she was able to control her response, start letting herself go and descend. Falling beneath the surface painted by her physical senses, then past the first subsurface layer with its initiate-level practices that were wielded as reflexively as any mundane skill, she let herself hang in the mental so-to-speak underwater space, drifting. Whether "underwater" or on board Tripoli, her surroundings pounded, pulsed and vibrated with background sound and sensation, but she let it wash over her, trying to locate what she was after.

There.

Standing out against the tapestry of reality was the so-to-speak thread of supernal sidelink joining her and Uileag. That must have been how her—Ayaka felt a twinge of instinctive unease at the thought of "near-death experience", made herself recognise the irrationality of it, and put it aside. Yes, tapping said sidelink in the midst of apparent sinking must have been how she had sent out what she had thought to be a premortem message. She'd known all about needing to reach beneath the surface of reality since young and about the existence of the link between themselves since shortly after her Reawakening, but it had taken such an extraordinary event to put two and two together and advance in her understanding of the malleability of Space.

She took a moment to make sure of what was on the other side, then pulled herself along it.

Uileag nearly leapt when Ayaka's unmistakable weight and warmth settled onto their bed beside him.

"Oh." Ayaka reopened her eyes, surprised too, and giggled awkwardly with relief. "It really worked."

"Ayaka?! What are you doing here?'" His expression twisted with alarm and fear. The now-alien way Ayaka's amusement sounded probably didn't help. "Don't tell me you---"

"No, Uiui, I'm not—not dying right now. Not like I'm going to fight in my nighties." She made something vaguely like a sardonic chuckle as she curled up around him. "I just figured out how… what happened that time and used it to project myself here. It takes too long to get myself in the right headspace when doing it consciously, though. Maybe… no idea if it'd get any faster as I familiarise myself, but I doubt I'd be replicating myself in combat like Shimakaze can."

He looked at her dubiously. "Like your own katawaredoki anytime?"

"... Yes?"

"Are you here or there then?"

"Both? I don't know how to describe it in… normal people language." She could both feel the shipboard bunk and the bed in the Washington home as well as Uileag's absence/presence, see both cabin and bedroom, smell simultaneously him and more distantly the lingering traces of her bunkmate. Even with the mind-splitting functionality Yorktown et. al had taught, the dual experience was still surreal. "Anyway, just let me hang until I fall asleep, and then I'll poof right back and stop bothering you."

After a few moments of the not unwelcome feeling of her pressing into him, Uileag asked dryly, "You sure it's not a nightcap you're after?"

Ayaka pouted. "I'm not that desperate, Uiui."

===[===]===​

It was after repelling the first abyssal raid of the journey that Ayaka decided she was that desperate after all.

"Make me whole again, Uiui," she said the next time he was available.

Uileag facepalmed. "Is not having to worry about safe days any longer making you like this? How did you ever get by without?"

"That was then, and the Sierra Mikes never cared anyway."

"This is totally going to end well," he deadpanned.

"We've had worse, you know," Ayaka replied dismissively.

"That's not as reassuring as you seem to think it is."

"I know you're not an active seafarer currently, but if the other shipgirls - most of whom are Summoned - can successfully recruit at sea, why would it be a problem for us? My roomie's definitely not going to be the issue."

"That's really not as reassuring as you seem to think it is."

"I can wait till after reaching Japan if you want."

Uileag thought it over for a while, then scoffed. "No, the fact that you're asking at all means you can't." The expression on her face was a dead giveaway as to her need and not making her any more convincing.

"If it's a problem, you really don't need to."

"No, it's not." It didn't help that the look she had was making his need for her stir. "Now hurry up."

It felt right.

It felt so right to be made whole once more, the aching void within finally filled. Ayaka found surreal the thought that she had gone weeks, even months without before. Offerings beyond requirement made to Shitori no Kami notwithstanding, she wondered how she had ever managed. "That's so much better," she whispered, dreamy with delight.

"This makes no sense," Uileag muttered, previous irritability having melted into a pleasant spaciness, into her ear. "My body says you're here, but what I'm getting from yours is telling me two different things at the same time. It's making my head hurt. I'm not enjoying this as much as I should be."

Apart from that little hiccup.

The release still successfully provided Ayaka with a topup to her crew and power, no different either in terms of sensation or quantity provisioned from any previous recruitment. The burying of light deep within that was still the best thing ever, just as beautiful, blissful, hot and powerful as usual, was a welcome cherry on top.

As for Uileag, his extant reservations vanished after he first gave of himself this time, replaced with a dreamy peace. With Ayaka back in control, there were no more dire aftereffects. Better still, beyond the physical pleasure, he couldn't deny that coaxing now all too rare genuine joy out of his wife made this worth it.

===[===]===​

None of the previous arrivals in Japan were exactly accompanied by hero's welcomes or cheering crowds. However, the grey clouds and drizzle that greeted Uatu and the convoy when it reached Tokyo Bay at midday were hardly confidence-inspiring.

At least this proved that the sight alone of FLEACT Yokosuka wasn't a trigger, Ayaka mused glumly.

The joy and empathy of the Japanese Natural Borns at seeing her up and about was, to be blunt, a bit off-putting. She didn't say it aloud, though. She definitely didn't feel like she deserved it, but she wasn't insensitive enough to appear an ingrate. Anyone who successfully peered into her mind would know how things really were, but she wasn't going to just make it obvious. That said, most of the Summoned didn't regard her any differently, as Vestal had assured her. Just replaceable materiel, that's what they all ultimately were.

Speaking of joy and empathy, it hadn't escaped Ayaka's notice that Mina had been shamefacedly doing her best to avoid unnecessary contact throughout the entire voyage. She had also observed Naga…mine's absence from the forces escorting the convoy into Tokyo Bay.

By the time admin matters were done, it was evening. Though the sky was still mostly overcast, every now and then the sun peeked through, sending out diffraction spikes like a great winking eye. Ayaka's path took her through the junction with the turnoff leading to the Yokosuka Memorial Wall, and she stopped in her tracks when she realised where exactly she was. After some hesitation, she turned to go there.

She had barely reached the memorial room before she started regretting having done so.

{Katana ZERO Original Soundtrack - Full Confession}

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahp7I9S3U20

The memorial room was not small by human standards. By the standards of shipgirls that could engage with optical targeting at over ten kilometers, it was nothing.

To Ayaka, who was personally responsible for a name being on the walls and knew multiple others now there, it was suffocatingly small. Not helping in the slightest was who was present.

Nakahara was standing in front of the wall straight ahead. The sole other present, she was looking directly at Yamashiro's marker.

Ayaka froze in place the moment she saw, but the other shipgirl showed no sign of having noticed her. There was no indication of any active sensor having painted her either, not that that meant anything considering the variety of passives available.

Never before had she been so acutely aware of what it meant to experience deafening silence.

The awkward moment stretched out, during which Nakahara was apparently focused enough on Yamashiro's marker as to not move a muscle. Eventually, it got to be too much to bear, so Ayaka took a careful step back and turned to leave before anything could happen.

{Godai-sensei?}

It was exactly at that moment that Nakahara spoke.

Ayaka froze again. Hesitantly, she carefully turned around to see Nakahara standing primly there. There was a faint touch of concern, as well as something vaguely haunted, marring the usual faint Mona Lisa smile.

Immediately, Ayaka took up the dogeza, falling to her face and knees in kowtow swiftly and heavily enough as to be heard, if not enough to damage the floor. "Owabi mōshiagemasu! Kokoro kara owabi mōshiagemasu!" She did not hesitate in using the most serious and formal expression of apology that Japanese had. Her subsequent words were also delivered in the most honorific form. {I humbly apologise from the bottom of my heart for getting Yamashiro-san sunk because of my failure! I humbly apologise for my incompetence that your sister had to give her life to rectify! I know that nothing I can do will make up for it! I know that it cannot be forgiven!}

Surprise flickered across Nakahara's face upon seeing Ayaka kowtow to her. She didn't outright break into an undignified run, but her steps were swift as she made her way to Ayaka and bent to extend a hand. {Godai-sensei, please get up. You weren't the one to harm my younger sister. Enterprise was the one responsible for the attack. Yamashiro chose of her own accord how to defend us from that which actually killed her.}

Ayaka didn't take it, didn't even dare presume the right to meet her eyes. {No, if not for my failure, that choice wouldn't even have existed. If I had gotten it right, there wouldn't have been a need to make that choice at all. If I had at least given everything, no one else would have needed to die in my place.}

{It wasn't your fault,} Nakahara said gently. {Continued regret is only going to hurt you further for nothing when what you did has already cost you so much. You still almost died despite that. You can't go back far enough to change it.}

Go back far enough—

The word association that had been brought on made the diffracting sunlight from before reappear in Ayaka's mind's eye, and an ember of hope lit in her as she looked up with a sudden sharpness that caught Nakahara off guard. {Wait, Nakahara-sensei! There's still something you can do!}

===[===]===​

The waiting room outside the summoning chambers was sizable, objectively speaking. It had to be in order to fit the numbers whose attendance was required, especially on the occasions when multiple summonses were to take place.

To Ayaka, sitting on a bench against a wall all by herself, it felt threateningly titanic. That no sound escaped the summoning chambers, leaving her in near-total silence, didn't help. The building's distance from the rest of the base, ostensibly intended to provide a buffer that would imbue it with tranquility untroubled by the hustle and bustle of military operation, now only made it feel desolate. The warmth of summer seemed so far away.

Despite the frantic, veritably verbal diarrhea way she had blurted out her idea, Nakahara had agreed to it with less skepticism than she had been expecting. The other shipgirl had gone straight to Yuubari and requested the use of a summoning chamber for the employment of the resource stash that had been first mentioned all the way back at the first tea ceremony. Given the light cruiser's past as a testbed, she had been quite happy to let the harebrained scheme proceed. That had not been the problem.

What had been the problem was the misfortune of running into two of J-BatDiv Two's escorting destroyers along the way. If it had just been the sad-eyed destroyer with the braid, that wouldn't have been an issue. She was taciturn and not prone to making a fuss. Unfortunately, the other one - a prickly, brown(?)-eyed brunette, hair worn in a combination of buns and twintails, that Ayaka had never been close with - had not been quite so accepting, and had given Ayaka a doubting gimlet eye all the way up till the point where the door to the summoning chamber had been closed behind the three.

More than an hour passed. Gradually, the orange and purple of katawaredoki gave way to the grey of oncoming night. It was only then that Nakahara and the two destroyers emerged from the summoning chamber.

Ayaka stood up. {Did it work?} She asked anxiously.

The head of the destroyer with the buns snapped up to look right at her, exactly like a turret that had found a target, and then she Stepped forward, emerging screaming with right fist flying. "TEME!"

Ayaka's hung Acceleration activated immediately in response to the threat, giving her way more than enough time to sidestep and put the attacker through the wall behind, but in the temporally-altered frame of reference she saw light glint off the tear trails contrasting sharply with the snarling, bare-toothed fury. The despair that drained hope like so much water down a sink left her standing there in realization as the fist inched its way closer.

The fist crashed into her face, and with the shrieking and snapping of tortured metal, broke.

The destroyer screamed as much in agony as in anger. {LIAR!} Even as the right hand started repairing, her left fist came up, aiming for the gut. It was an oddly human gesture, as if trying to go for the soft belly instead of the face with its hard bone. Against another shipgirl, it made no difference, and that hand shattered too.

The punches weren't strong enough to hurt Ayaka, or even to make her move significantly. Under the circumstances, even that tiny bit was enough that she collapsed back onto the bench bonelessly, no longer able to stand there realising.

The destroyer was still incandescently infuriated, if the continued screaming was any indication. {You liar! Liar! Fucking liar cunt! You lied to us that you could give us Yamashiro-san back! You lied that by wishing on an offering containing a portion of Yamashiro-san's soul, we could see her again!} Will and wrath shaped her aura into fists unconstrained by the frailty of flesh and steel as she resumed punching. {Temetemetemeteme…!} Then she became literally so as righteous rage overflowed like afterburner and became fuel for something that would get through Ayaka's defences. Her aura grew and grew and grew some more, expanded to encompass and then surpass her entire body, and she was so far beyond furious that she didn't bother hiding it.

{Don't,} Nakahara said as she approached from behind the destroyer and put a hand on her shoulder, the faintest sheen of her own aura pushing through the other's. To a stranger, it was a gentle word and gesture, indistinguishable from any she might have made normally. To those who knew her well, there was solid steel beneath the silk.

The destroyer froze at the touch halfway through a punch. {Fu—fu—Fusou-san, why? Why? Why won't you let me punish that one's failure and falsehoods as she deserves?}

There was a flash of lightning, followed shortly by a peal of thunder. The rain returned, now heavier and louder than before.

Yuubari walked up beside them, and Nakahara turned at the scrape of her shoes. Their eyes met and the former raised an eyebrow. The sad-eyed braided destroyer silently trailed behind her.

Nakahara subtly shook her head.

Yuubari nodded with understanding and left.

Nakahara turned back to the crier. Her words were delivered with the same even, unperturbed tone as always. {Why do you say that Godai-sensei needs to be punished?}

A disbelieving gasp. {Fusou-san! What do you mean?! That one caused Yamashiro-san's sinking!}

{Do you really think so?}

{Yes!}

{Not Enterprise?}

Another disbelieving gasp. {Of course Enterprise must pay too!}

{Why then do you say Godai-sensei needs to be punished for what Enterprise did?}

{It's not—not about what Enterprise did! Not just about what Enterprise did! It's what Iowa did!} The destroyer's tone made clear that, like with Enterprise, the lack of honorific was out of deliberate disrespect rather than familiarity. {Because of her failure, Yamashiro-san sank to make up for it!}

Nakahara continued to look levelly at her. {Godai-sensei saved over a hundred of us and tens of thousands more normals, and almost gave everything to do so.}

*That's an exaggeration,* Ayaka thought, though her tongue was too heavy to protest aloud.

{That you did not need her salvation is no excuse to demean her sacrifice,} Nakahara continued.

{Almost isn't good enough!} The destroyer was not fazed. {She failed, and Yamashiro-san had to make up for it!}

{Do you mean to say that it was wrong for Godai-sensei to have survived?}

{Yes! She should have sunk and spared Yamashiro-san from doing so!}

{By that logic, were not any of us that dared survive past the surrender of Dai Nippon Teikoku failures? That stayed afloat long enough to meet her end not in battle? Were Hibiki-chan or Ushio-chan or Yukikaze-chan failures? Houshou-san or Katsuragi-chan or Nagato-san or Sakawa-chan?}

The sad-eyed destroyer twitched at the names.

{What do you mean, Fusou-san?} The angry destroyer was getting confused.

{Was that not your meaning? The survivors of the war outlived the old empire instead of sinking that it might somehow live?}

The destroyer's mouth flapped open and closed rapidly and soundlessly, caught between condemnation of Ayaka's failure and unwillingness to besmirch the good name of her comrades.

{You know that the Overclock is not something that can be forced into. It is our last and greatest gift, the place where the falling celestial meets the rising essence that holds on long enough for one final lesson in the moment when there is nothing left to lose and everything to gain. Any who might try to force the hand of any of us will not survive to reap the rewards of doing so. Yamashiro was not ordered to her sinking by someone sitting comfortably in a distant bunker or office. She did so freely of her own will that we needed not have to. Do not dishonor her sacrifice by demanding that which she paid to save.}

The destroyer started to shake.

{Your current overreaction and state of being emotionally compromised is exactly due to the human weakness that you despise.}

The shaking of the destroyer intensified.

{Do not make me escalate this to Tōhama-ittō kaisa or Minami-kaishō-ho, please. In the old kaigun you would have been punished for less. You are better than this. I know you can be and are.}

The floodgates reopened and the destroyer fell to her knees, weeping once again. Her sharp tongue turned against herself, words laced with bitter self-loathing. {Why? Why?! Why am I still crying over this?! We are not men, to be maimed by mourning! I hate this! I hate this! I hate this!} The aura went out, and the oppressive buildup of Or Energy with it.

Nakahara lowered herself to the destroyer's level and patiently and silently held her until tears and words ceased. {Please take some time to think about this. I will speak with you again, but for now, please leave us.} She carefully rose and gently helped the destroyer to her feet.

Slowly and with great trepidation, unable to hide the shaking or sniffing, the destroyer with the buns started walking out of the room. She did not give Ayaka a second look. The one with the sad eyes followed after a concerned glance at Nakahara.

Nakahara watched the two destroyers depart, then walked over to and sat down beside Ayaka.

{Ace Combat 5 Original Soundtrack - Into The Dusk}

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35y6kw7L7Ms

Ayaka was too drained by the latest failure. Even through the whole exchange, she had been unable to react, even to cry.

For a long while, the two of them just sat there. Neither said a word, but they were dogged by the oppressive cacophony of clapping thunder, flashing lightning, howling wind, and lashing rain outside.

{Why… didn't you let her?} Ayaka eventually asked, only able to rise barely above a whisper.

{Would it have made a difference at this point?} Nakahara replied by counterquestion. "Shikata ga nai."

{What do you mean?}

Nakahara slowly let out a breath. It wasn't quite a sigh. {It can't be helped. Assume she does kill you and successfully avenges Yamashiro, and manages to pass it off as a justified kill or accident or otherwise suffers no punishment or other consequences. What then? Your family will still need to mourn you. Humanity will still have had one preventable loss. To die a hero after accomplishing a great deed is one thing. Dying after the fact to absolve failure is another.} For a moment, Nakahara's face contorted into an open expression of bitterness and disgust. What was ordinarily ugly enough looked even more foul for how alien it was on her usually genteel face. Ayaka wasn't sure what it said that the other priestess was willing to be so open around her. {What does it say about us, and that which made us, that we conflate the two?}

{That we know there are some things nothing but blood can wash away.}

Nakahara snorted.

It sounded so weird coming from Harumi Nakahara, Shinto priestess, proper lady and well-bred daughter of Kyoto. It sounded profoundly base and wrong.

From Fusou, unlucky ship and sister to perennially bitter Yamashiro? It fit perfectly.

After another while, a new thought strayed into Ayaka's mind. {That girl… aren't Summoned supposed to bounce back quickly?}

{They are supposed to,} Nakahara said. {After the funeral, she didn't show any further sign of being affected for the past few months.}

{Meaning that I…} Ayaka winced. {If I hadn't said anything, she wouldn't have been reminded of… the incident?}

Nakahara's lips twitched into the ever so faintest of frowns. {I cannot be sure either way.}

"Sou ka." Ayaka was too shaken to do more than make acknowledgement, certainly not even to apologise anew.

{It's not your fault,} Nakahara said. {Could you really have known that what worked for you previously wouldn't have been useful to another?}

{I should have thought of it. I should have considered that the boon that once worked to let Uileag reach me, Shitori no Kami might not have been so generous as to extend to others.}

{Was the aid given benevolently, sincerely and to the best of your ability and knowledge?}

"H---hai."

{Then that is all that matters. The kamisamatachi have never made any pretence of omnibenevolence. Their not repaying our chiminage or conforming to our expectations is not something you are to blame for.}

{I wish… I could convince myself of that.}

{'Happy ship'... if only Roosevelt had known what would have happened.} There was no mockery in Nakahara's words. Quite the opposite. The self-effacing bitter chuckle she let out sounded to Ayaka eerily like something she herself might have made. {We're all slaves to history. I was already an unlucky human even before I knew that I was an unlucky ship. I tried asking around about your ancestors, as I promised. I haven't had any luck yet, but I did learn a lot about your family in the process. You lost your mother to illness; I lost my father to an accident.}

Ayaka's eyes widened in surprise. Nakahara had been always dignified and polite, but so too had she been carefully evasive on matters close to home.

{The other driver, moving too quickly and erratically, T-boned our car. Chichiue didn't suffer. My older brother was not so fortunate.}

{I'm… sorry,} Ayaka said lamely.

{My younger brother… to have been in a coma for years is a bliss of ignorance, is it not? Hahaue and I, our physical injuries were light, but… all she knew after what we had lost was her duty.} For a moment, the haunted look returned as she briefly looked at Ayaka. {Keiko-soboue didn't take Chichiue's death well at all.}

{How dare---how dare you still live!} An old woman yelled at a younger Nakahara and mother, naked grief and ugly fury mixed together on her tear-streaked face and in her voice. The Nakahara matriarch's arms shook with the promise of violence despite the desperate restraint from other, more youthful relatives. {All of you jinxes! You should have died, that my precious boy might still live!}

Ayaka twitched at the parallels. How much did Nakahara know about her recently-concluded psychological debilitation? Granted that Ichiyo had never openly broken down the same way, but she wondered, not for the first time, what would have happened had she and Kagami gone with their father instead. Would things have been different if they had voluntarily done so versus if Ichiyo had driven them away along with Yoshimichi?

{Hahaue had her duty and I had mine,} Nakahara continued even as her gaze fell away. If she had noticed Ayaka's contemplation, she did not speak of it. {Mine not to make reply, mine not to reason why, mine but to do. I did.}

{You didn't… feel burdened or stifled?}

Nakahara shook her head. {I did not. Not that there was room to philosophise in any case even had I felt such a need. Anything that needed flexibility fell on my shoulders, since Hahaue was…}

{Then all this began?}

Nakahara nodded. {A mother barely more cognizant than a robot, a brother comatose and bedridden… these things were. Kyoto had not been a priority target that first week. It should not have affected me.}

{Yet it had… the abyssal incursion had made your… made Fusou-san stir?}

{I am given to think it had. She must have guided my hand.}

Ayaka knew what had happened next. Mizuryu had been the first shrine to succeed in summoning. Partway through that pioneering effort, Harumi Nakahara, then apparently mundane priestess, had got up from her station and walked into the water to the shock of the others involved in the ritual. Halo radiating from the interaction between ambient light and dripping water, emitting an awesome Presence befitting one who bore a name of Japan as to drive even the old clergy and seasoned soldiers in attendance to genuflection, the elder of the Fusou-class dreadnoughts had emerged. With Yamashiro having Manifested in defence of Yokosuka earlier, she had been transferred there instead of being left at nearby Maizuru, her surviving family entrusted to relatives and caregivers, and the rest was history.

{So that's why Yoshida-san kept wondering why your mother hadn't been visiting,} Ayaka said in realisation.

{That's correct.}

{But surely you were glad to have Yamashiro-san back?}

Nakahara frowned with atypical open confusion. {I was, but how does that change anything? We knew how things had ended the last time, and we had realistic expectations from the start, even if Yamashiro was the more vocal about it. I cannot, will not, do not blame you in any way.}

Ayaka nodded weakly, not convinced.

Nakahara rummaged in her clothes and now took out what Ayaka recognised as a set of the tassels attached to her and Yamashiro's pagoda masts. {Yamashiro was going to give this to you when we got back.}

Ayaka stared at it, wide-eyed. It took a while before she could speak again. {I shouldn't. I can't accept this. It'd look like I'm trying to replace her.}

Nakahara shook her head. {It is all right. You are effectively one of us.}

{I really can't. I'm not worthy.} Ayaka tried another time to refuse.

Nakahara would not be deterred. {That is not a problem. I'm used to it after everything that's happened. I expect disappointment and therefore will never get disappointed. Please.}

Reluctantly, Ayaka accepted with both hands and a deep bow. "Domo arigatō gozaimasu." {I'm honoured.} Though she tried to suppress it, a sufficiently careful and well-acquainted observer - like Nakahara - would have noticed the difficulty she had with making herself believe her own words. The fine gold tassels felt so fragile yet heavy in her hands, and she could only stare silently at them again as she turned them around and rolled them over her fingers.

Nakahara patiently let her.

Ayaka eventually looked back. {Ah… by the way…}

{Yes, Godai-sensei?}

Ayaka didn't bother hiding the face she made or the harshness of her tone. {Don't keep calling me 'sensei'. I don't deserve it anymore. Maybe I never have. Just use 'Ayaka'. That's all I really am.}

A doubting look flashed over Nakahara's face and disappeared equally quickly, fast enough that Ayaka barely caught it. {Then please call me Harumi… Ayaka.}

Ayaka sighed. {Very well… Harumi.} Unable to decide yet where the tassels should go, she put them away first, then looked back to the other shipgirl as a thought struck her. {I had been thinking… I had originally wanted to visit the Skytree tomorrow, see how things had changed since I was last here. Would you like to come along?}

"Arigatō."

Ayaka made an acknowledging grunt.

Harumi now frowned, getting to her feet and turning to offer a hand to Ayaka. {We are late for dinner. We should go.}

===[===]===​

Authors' Notes: Our thanks to Sathzur from SpaceBattles for finding the polite form for obaa.

Last edited:
Definitely a stronger chapter in a single piece like this. The snippets hit right in the feels, tho.

Authors' Notes: Support this story via Warp's Ko-Fi at https://ko-fi.com/2375DDLLGBXNI .

===[===]===

CHAPTER 42

===[===]===​

The rain had stopped by the next morning. A cloudless brilliant blue summer sky awaited.
Ayaka's mood didn't match the weather. Sleep hadn't come easily the previous night despite the storm, and the cleansing bliss of the eye-opener she had gotten out of Uileag was already fading. She had to stifle yawns.

There weren't as many snoopers as there had previously been. Under other circumstances, Ayaka might have welcomed the reduction in the number of busybodies. Whatever anonymity she might have wanted to pretend she once had, the scarlet scar splitting her face now was a distinguishing mark no one could miss. She was fairly certain, however, that the shortfall was not due to familiarity if the way paparazzi hounded extensively-photographed celebrities was any indication. No, the reduction likely spoke to a worsening of public sentiment about the war, such that people were laying low or moving away out of fear.

{Naka—Harumi, aren't your escorts coming?} Ayaka asked. The first name and yobisute - going without honorific - still felt unearned.

Harumi shook her head.

Ayaka was secretly glad she didn't have to deal with the angry brunette lashing out again. She wasn't foolish enough to say it aloud, though, even if it was highly likely that Harumi wouldn't have said anything, or even outright agreed.

She paused outside the main entrance, unsure as to which way to go. To the left and Yokosuka-Chūō Station was the route that had been customarily taken with Yamashiro. To the right and Yokosuka Station… was the memorial that had been made for Yamashiro's first life. Neither was desirable.

Harumi patiently stood aside and let her think.

Eventually, Ayaka decided that the left path was the lesser evil.

The decline wasn't quite as obvious outside the immediate vicinity of the base. Yokosuka was not a cramped place, with half the density and a seventh the total population of Yokohama to the north, which was itself Tokyo's inferior. Traffic was rarely heavy at off-peak hours like these, such that any difference from the norm was not readily apparent. The two reached Yokosuka-Chūō Station without further incident and boarded a Kaitoku Limited Express train of the Keikyū Main Line bound for Tokyo.

{Katana ZERO Original Soundtrack feat. ludoWic - Third District}

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXFw_vfb7p4

By the time the train left Yokosuka's mostly low-rise suburbs and crossed the interurban areas into the Yokohama outskirts, though, it was impossible to deny that something was wrong. Under normal circumstances, Japan's second-largest city should have had a commensurately greater thickness of traffic compared to its southern neighbour. Now, though, there were noticeably fewer vehicles visible on the road than expected. The number of passengers boarding, or visible waiting for their rides for that matter, was equally diminished. When there were around 400,000 passengers a day at the eponymous station compared to 70,000 at Yokosuka-Chūō, even a small shortfall was much more obvious.

After departing Yokohama Station, the train continued to hum and rattle as it went on its way through Kawasaki and across the Tama River, finally leaving Kanagawa Prefecture for the Tokyo Metropolis proper. As she had a few times before, Ayaka listened - but like with the others, there was no spirit within, only inanimate steel and plastic. In any case, it was too new to awaken as a tsukumogami on its own. The entire line was, never mind individual rolling stock.

The Keikyū Main Line terminated at Sengakuji Station. Ayaka and Harumi got off and changed to the Toei Asakusa Line to continue their journey.

{Oshiage today?} Harumi asked.

Ayaka shook her head. {Asakusa. I want to walk from there. Then… I'll see.}

Harumi nodded acknowledgement.

As a quiet part of Minato Ward even under normal circumstances, the situation at Sengakuji didn't say much. Shinagawa Station just one stop before, though, was a major interchange, not least because it was the eastern terminus of the L0 Chūō Shinkansen. It had visibly fewer people waiting even from what little could be seen at the Keikyū platform. Furthermore, as the subway passed through normally more populous stations like Mita and Nihombashi, passenger numbers remained low.

They eventually arrived at Asakusa Station. On reaching the surface, Ayaka was struck by how quiet it was. She vividly remembered from back in 2019 the noisy crowds going to, thronging, and coming from the Kaminarimon. Even the last time she had been here prior to deploying on the Southeast Asia campaign, well over a year into the war, it had hardly been deserted. Now, though, it was almost totally devoid of visitors. The rickshaw drivers she could see were alternately dispirited and worried as they looked for fares. Not wanting to give false hope of her patronage, she was careful not to make eye contact.

Ayaka was not going out of her way to explore today. There had been a time to rush around seeing the sights, but this was not it. As such, the two of them simply headed onto the Azumabashi, which was the closest bridge to Asakusa Station.

Halfway across, Ayaka paused and turned to trace the course of the Sumida River north until it turned out of view, hidden by distant buildings. It seemed as placid as ever from above. A deceptive look, she knew. The river had existed in antiquity long before man's attempt to name it, to delineate "Arakawa" and "Sumida" where there had only been the former. Its mizugami was equally ancient. The only thing of importance was that the river flowed, and if it burst its banks and took human life from time to time, guilt was a quaint human thing that the kamisama in question had no conception of.

Last edited:
Sumida City was not a place anyone would call "middle of nowhere". It might not have a stop on the normally perennially bursting at the seams Yamanote Line to act as a crowd-drawing core, but it had its fair share of other attractions. Between Asahi Breweries Headquarters, Kinshichō Station, the Ryōgoku Kokugikan, Sumida Triphony Hall and, of course, Tokyo Skytree, to say nothing of spillover from the Asakusa area across the namesake river, the special ward ordinarily drew no insignificant traffic.
That only served to make the stark sight of shuttered shops in the morning light as Ayaka and Harumi walked down Asakusa-dori all the more haunting. If they had been back-alley establishments at night, one might have been able to make the excuse that they had closed early or were in poor locations that had failed to draw enough footfall. With this kind of excellent frontage and devoid of any sign of being meant for nightlife, though, no such rationalisation was possible. To make matters worse, these were not merely places that had closed down near the start of the war and had never been replaced; Ayaka had seen some still open just a year ago, before embarking on the ill-fated campaign. Traffic both pedestrian and vehicular was also more sparse than before, and the near-silence of what should have been a bustling main street was unsettling. Every one that did pass seemed that much louder for it.

Ayaka stopped to look at the distinctive ship-shaped playground of Oyokogawa Water Park as they passed it. Normally, there should have been kids playing while their parents lingered watchfully nearby. On this pleasantly warm day, though, it was incongruously deserted. When she turned back, she saw Harumi also looking contemplatively at it.

On to the Skytree, though.

634 metres - the third-tallest structure in the world - was not a short height. An Ayaka just six years younger - and didn't that feel so far away now - had found it awe-inspiring in a way that no photo or video did justice.

The Ayaka of now, rated for an AA ceiling almost twenty times that with the 5"/38s and electromagnetic-plus sensing several times further beyond on passives alone, wasn't quite so impressed any longer. That she could casually Step the distance to the top didn't help.

They took a left at Daimon Street, and after a bit more, they were there.

Tokyo Solamachi was quiet in a way no major mall ought to be even on a weekday morning. Though the lights were on and alluring displays sprick and span, Ayaka didn't need to deliberately listen for mental voices to notice the fear and worry of shop staff quietly desperate to get just one more customer. She wondered how many would still be around next year. If there was a next year for any of them.

The ticketing area for the Skytree proper was almost totally devoid of customers. There was genuine joy on the faces of the staff, not just that which was obligated to be put on, at seeing the two of them. Their movements and words were, even by already great Japanese standards, overflowing with energy and enthusiasm. The two swiftly received their tickets and were eagerly ushered to the lift to the Tembo Deck.

The previous night's storm had left the sky clear in a way rarely seen in midsummer. The nearly unobstructed view in all directions from up here gave Ayaka complicated feelings. For baselines, appreciation of views from height was hampered by the fact that at some point, all the buildings blended together into an indistinct clump of colours and individual humans became but ants or less when seen with the naked eye. For shipgirls, who were their own binoculars, that point was much further out. For them, it was still possible to recognise individual structures, human features or vehicles well beyond the limits of baselines.

Such superhuman vision was also a double-edged sword, however. Mount Fuji seemed as eternal as ever; if its end would come someday from gradual but inexorable erosion, all mortals looking on it now would have been long dead by then. The beachfront of Sagami Bay to the west was still mostly intact too, the Miura Peninsula not being enough of an obstacle to the ability of FLEACT Yokosuka's tenants to mount timely interventions. As a result, the abyssals had not managed to penetrate deep into the interior of western Kanagawa Prefecture.

The same could not be said of even further west, or of the east coast of Honshū. The greater girth of the Bōsō Peninsula was a hindrance to reinforcement of the east coast. The north was covered by Shimakaze and the inhabitants of Ōminato, but that still left a large gap where neither Ōminato nor Yokosuka could reinforce in a timely manner. This was marred by far too many blackened bulks of buildings ruined by abyssal attack. The curvature of the Earth made seeing the further reaches of the Tōhoku coast from here physically impossible, but Ayaka had seen enough on the way down from Hokkaido through both optics and seaplanes. They had been abandoned after the deaths of their inhabitants or evacuated from and never returned to, the damage largely neglected by a government that was slow even in peacetime to clear up the akiya or haikyo and had yet to finish cleaning up the areas affected by the Great East Japan Earthquake and Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster, 11 years on, when the first abyssal attacks had happened. There was even less time and resource to spare now. While the trains continued chugging dutifully on along lonely lines heading into the depths of the countryside, the saliently smaller numbers of people and private vehicles that plied the roads were painfully plain to see.

Tokyo's northern outskirts were still mostly intact, few abyssal attacks having made it this far when there was a far more target-rich environment along the way. It was dissonant. Saitama and the prefectures further north knew little of what had befallen their more southerly peers. How long would that remain the case?

After the first, contemplatively slow circling of the nearly eerily empty floor, the two of them stopped at the equally customer-free Sky Café. Harumi ordered a highball.

{Isn't it too early for that?} Ayaka asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Iie."

Shipgirls were resistant to the intoxicating effects of alcohol, even if the personae created by some of their number made it seem otherwise. However, the firm, unambiguous negative delivered with no hesitation whatsoever, contrary to Japanese norms, to say nothing of Kyoto's or Harumi's own, said enough. The delicate but long pull she took afterwards was just unnecessary punctuation.

Deciding that she didn't want to ask further, Ayaka got a Sky Soft and joined Harumi at a table far from the counter. Despite Vestal's assurances to the contrary, shipgirl gynecology was undeveloped enough a field that Ayaka didn't want to take any chances by exposing the baby to alcohol.

{Ayaka, do you think Japan has a future?} Harumi abruptly asked after gesturing for her to switch to En-secure radio.

Last edited:
Whoa, this scene set-up for ghosts, ship-girl shenanigans or hilarity, and made a hard right into serious politics. Whiplash. I love the scene setting, but it did not end up where I was expecting, although rereading it, I can see the hints. Once again, your world building is strong, waiting for the plot and character-building of the next scene.

That's an interesting way of seeing things, one that neither MAEt nor I considered. May I ask what in the scene seemed to set up those expectations?

That's an interesting way of seeing things, one that neither MAEt nor I considered. May I ask what in the scene seemed to set up those expectations?

The ghost town feel of the surroundings, the near-abandonment of the area, the quiet despair on the part of those remaining, the contrast with Mount Fuji, followed by Harumi's question, asking not if humanity has a future, but whether Japan specifically does.

Funny that you talk about shenanigans...

{Katana ZERO Original Soundtrack feat. LudoWic - Panoramic Feelings}

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEJzaQlMYEI

Ayaka stared. While the other shipgirl was known to down a few steins per session before, she was secretly wondering despite all knowledge to the contrary if the alcohol had already begun to kick in. After a few moments of awkward silence, she asked, {Eh? Isn't it premature to think about the future with how things are going?}

"Hontō desu ka?" Harumi waved a hand dismissively, her tone tinged with nigh-imperceivable unlucky ship bitterness. {I have spent two thirds of my life just putting one foot in front of the other, unable to care where the road led. Let this old maid pretend there's something to look forward to just this once. Besides…} She leaned back against the table; the venue was standing-only. Despite her greatly inferior physical stature, the heavy look she gave Ayaka bore the full weight of the century since her past life's launch. {I am old enough to remember both the bursting of the Bubble and Yamata, and what they did to this country. My batch and those shortly before were already missing people even before this war started. Perhaps they were the lucky ones.}

Ayaka winced at the implications.

Harumi briefly turned to stare at the cityscape behind with its antlike people and buildings shrinking into the horizon before returning her gaze to Ayaka. {30 years later, the Lost Decade has become a Lost Generation, and it seems like little has changed. So many have given up on having children, married life, or employment and society entirely. Our birth rate continues to drop with no sign of slowing in sight. If that person had been willing to wait for a few more generations, we would have done her work for her.}

Ayaka looked dubiously at her while thinking of what had been learnt from past current affairs education. {I know that… but I don't know what I can contribute that decades of dedicated, better-qualified experts and specialists haven't already thought about.}

{Do you think you would have settled if you had reached my age without finding your way back to Uileag-kun?} Harumi suddenly asked.

Ayaka stared hard in response to the non sequitur. The thought was abhorrent, and yet, if she tried to fight through the instinctual revulsion, she had to admit… {I'm not so sure.}

{Perhaps it is what we shipgirls are and can do that makes the difference.} There was a strange wistfulness to Harumi's tone now. {Even in her semicatatonic state, Hahaue somehow remembers to nag me about getting married. It wasn't long before I learnt to just apologise and agree in order to get her to stop… but sometimes I wonder if I should have been more diligent. The first time the purple and hunger hit, there was no one to anchor my will that I might resist its siren call after reason failed. My first source of manpower was someone that I hadn't known for even a day, and what I registered on an emotional level was bliss, completeness and fulfillment. There was then and still now no condemnation.}

Just a few years earlier, Ayaka would have sputtered, shocked, at the sudden swerve into the intimate from the last person she had been expecting it from. Shintō might not demand celibacy, but the idea of none less than a fellow priestess callously squandering the highest intimacy which violation was the worst possible thing that could happen would have been mortifying. After two years of grappling with the Ship's insatiable hunger and the laxity of the vast majority of her comrades, though, all that a now-desensitised her could do was flatly ask, {Do I really want to know?}

{The Ship found my first source of manpower not from the nightlife establishments like one might expect, but instead near a konbini.} Harumi's expression and tone didn't shift, and Ayaka's read of her emotional state showed that outside accurately reflected inside. {After the first time he gave of himself, he broke down despite the fugue and started crying about how… he was not much older than me, but he had no idea what he was doing with his life, why he was working beyond the search for simple sustenance or where he was going without anyone at his age.}

The emotional intimacy and vulnerability of intercourse notwithstanding, how far beyond merely distressed did one have to be to break down and start pouring out your soul to a total stranger? Ayaka felt abruptly ashamed of having bemoaned still being single at 25. How petty and childish it sounded now.

{Fortunately, his story had a happy ending. I sent him on his way, and I glimpsed him again from afar a year later. By then he was healthier and happier, wearing matching rings with a woman by his side. He was not the last lost soul I would encounter or life I would better.}

{Now there's a touching story, but I doubt that will make the difference you seem to want to think it will,} Ayaka said sourly. {I've seen enough long-term so-to-speak repeat customers for my sisters and comrades that I'm remembering faces despite my best efforts. Besides, those who most need help turning their lives around, like the hikikomori, are exactly the kind of people you wouldn't conveniently find outdoors, but must seek out.}

{That's true,} Harumi said. {Perhaps all that mercy shown this nation did was put us on borrowed time, only to leave us now in a 30-year long tailspin that there seems to be no way to recover from.}

{Isn't that taking this too far?} Ayaka asked incredulously. {Even most of those who advocate for euthanasia don't call for preemptive suicide in anticipation of problems that are yet to be.}

Harumi demurely raised an eyebrow. {But many such people do say that others should be killed so as to be spared growing up in potential poverty and suffering, no?}

Ayaka's agreement came out in a sighed {I've noticed.}

{It sounds noble that way, does it not? Delivering salvation. Our enemy thinks she is doing the same. "For the good of mankind." Perhaps Kaga-san was right to say that we should not have survived World War II.} A sister-of-Yamashiro bitter chuckle slipped out.

Ayaka remembered early on how Ning Hai and Ping Hai had been openly hostile to Kaga and to a lesser extent the other Japanese, even if it had receded with time. "Old killers brought back for wetwork". That was what Kaga had said so many times. By this point, Ayaka was finding it hard to disagree.

{Did you know? There were times when I wondered if Yamashiro would have gotten serious with any of her sources.}

Ayaka flinched at the wholly unanticipated mention of Yamashiro. The way Harumi didn't even have any untoward reaction or shy away from it didn't help. She could only sputter in her surprise. {Big sister things?} she eventually managed, thinking of Kagami.

{That is so.} Harumi made an old-before-her-time sound. {The pursuit of an admiral is unsustainable, like one of those harem stories where everyone else loses in the end. Even for the Summoned who are able to get their admirals, will one man really suffice?}

{I've wondered about that as far as Uileag and I are concerned.} Ayaka made a noise befitting her contemplation. {Perhaps wedlock is an inviolable oath for shipgirls, such that its deliberate breaking even in pursuit of manpower is unthinkable.}

{That would be a nice thought.} Harumi didn't sound convinced.

{Loath to generalise from so few data points?}

{Oh my, what a Choukai-chan thing to say… but yes.} Harumi made a sound that could pass for a laugh. {Yes, I suppose when the only two points of reference are you and Shinohara-san---}

{Who?}

Harumi blinked. {Akagi-san?}

Ohhh. {Oh. Right.}

{Yes, when the only two known shipgirl-human marriages at this point are with Natural Borns, perhaps it is premature to try drawing a conclusion. It could well be that your past supernatural experiences were the inoculating factor. Then again, expecting any of the Summoned to settle for just one might indeed be a fool's errand considering our needs. Perhaps that's exactly what we need to cut down the number of unattached men with no other hope.}

Ayaka raised an eyebrow. {Harumi, what are you talking about?}

{We hunger, do we not?}

Ayaka nodded. {We do.} There had been a time when she would have reacted with horror and consternation. Now, though, she didn't feel anything more than mild resignation about it. To say that the 2,788-strong aching void within her would never be fully manned without making a big dent in the wildlife or criminal population was not strictly accurate. That said, despite the discount from the innate skeleton crew, Uileag was still not able to singlehandedly supply all the manpower she needed in one session even now. The number of times she had managed to accumulate a complete crew complement over multiple recruitment sessions remained few indeed.

{Being fully manned is part and parcel of being combat ready, and when we feel the need, we care not from whence the manpower flows, only that it does. Given the codes the Summoned follow, the men who are less physically attractive are often less likely to have partners than their more blessed peers, and therefore are more likely to be available to be sourced from.}

Ayaka had to admit that there was something hilariously ironic about shipgirls, who were almost all peerless on a physical level, being more egalitarian where physical appearance was concerned than many human women. {And the hunger also protects.} She had heard the stories in places where no wrong ears could be found of how more than a few would-be predators expecting easy prey had found exactly the opposite.

{That is so.} Harumi let out another sound that could pass for a laugh even as she raised her cup like she was offering a toast. {Yamashiro, my sister, I love you and miss you, but… 'feed beyond our need'? You kept using that word. I do not think it means what you thought it meant.}

Forewarned by Harumi's earlier carelessness, Ayaka did not startle again. Still, she was starting to regret this train of thought, not least because of the bizarre idea of someone who needed 1,900 drawing a line with the even more gluttonous. {That isn't our mission,} she said with bluntness that surprised even herself. {Is the laughter of thirsting god-princesses really a strong foundation for a sustainable society?}

{"Foundation"?} Confusion briefly formed on Harumi's face as she lowered the cup, but it was swiftly replaced by firm comprehension. {Ayaka, you misunderstand. The men who are most vital and able, those who do not lack the drive, they do not need the help of a shipgirl to make something of themselves. All this does is offer a helping hand to those who cannot.}

{That still seems more like an opiate, treating the symptoms rather than actually curing the disease.} It was Ayaka's turn to not be convinced. {How do you know that any of those being recruited from by Sierra Mikes, or by any of the rest of us for that matter, will be bettered the way yours have, instead of being reduced to cows?}

{Yes, there is such a risk,} Harumi said. The words didn't sound concessionary to Ayaka. {I do not believe it is a great one. We who are meant to sortie, not be tied to piers like Yamato-san, would not subject others to what we hate.} Were the other shipgirl's eyes starting to glow faintly, or was it just coincidentally-reflected sunlight? {In any case, how do you 'cure the disease'? Where do you start? With the Diet and laws mandating leave and overtime limits and pay raises, as well as some way of preventing end-runs like contract roles, nomikai and take-home work? With the C-suites and boardrooms relinquishing pay and easing up on those beneath? With the shareholders seeking returns on what they've given? With all of us, ever afraid to be the first to break the mould and put our feet down, hammering down fellow nails when they stick out?}

Ayaka pursed her lips around the spoon and nodded neutrally. Harumi was emitting a kind of gauntlet-in-velvet intensity, like a snail crawling on the straight razor's edge between the demure Kyoto priestess and the battleship that, even though outdated and unlucky, was still not something that anyone with a brain got into a stand-up fight with. The mechalupine pressure might not be as blatant as with Yamashiro, but it was still far from intangible. Out of the corner of her eye, Ayaka noticed the cafe's staff starting to look green around the gills despite the distance and not know why.

Harumi partook of the amber ambrosia again before continuing. {Let us say you think there is no single viable angle of attack, but that everyone is to blame, the whole system is diseased, rotten to the core, and want to burn it to the ground, start over from zero that new life will be born beneath the bloodstained sand. What happens next? Destruction is easy. That person only needs to burn it to the ground in order to fulfill her oath. She does not need to worry about what comes next.}

Ayaka grimaced. *Damn your hasty oath, Halsey,* she thought.

{A revolution that merely lets the chips fall where they may without any idea of the way forward only satisfies the lust for revenge without pointing to a new future. If there is no plan, everything defaults to the law of the wild, and the strongest warlord takes it all. That helps no one, especially not those who most need it.} Harumi looked into her cup with an intensity that didn't quite rise to a stare, then returned her attention to Ayaka. "'A mind is a terrible thing to waste.'" {Is there not such a saying?}

{Yes…?} Ayaka was confused by the brief switch to English there.

{This is the same. Perhaps there is a danger that some who could rise might instead end up in servitude to those of us who do not appreciate how far they have come, but if the alternative is to continue wasting away day by day with potential untapped, is there not only gain to be had in being recruited from? Some are born great, some achieve greatness, some have greatness thrust upon them, and some more, if they cannot use their talents, can at least thrust themselves into greatness so that the recipient can use it for a better cause.}

Ayaka silently wondered how much of what Harumi was saying was the quiet desperation and frustration of the exhuman boiling over after decades of percolating, how much was Fusou the neglected and unlucky unceremoniously slaughtered ship taking up her late sister's disgruntlement, and how much was the alcohol talking. Had none of the protests against being seen as a replacement for Yamashiro gotten through to her? Had she never managed to discuss these things with her sister? While that late shipgirl had been more self-reflective than most, she had still been a Sierra Mike, and it was not much of a stereotype to say that there was a certainty, purity and simplicity of purpose to most of those. Yorktown's angst wouldn't have been so remarkable otherwise. Ayaka's own sisters weren't doing anything to disprove it.

Aloud, Ayaka merely asked, {Surely there must be something in between wiping the slate clean to start over from zero and shadow matriarchy that will let people have hope and a bright future again?}

{Even though the sky is so blue… a generation has come of age without anything making a difference.} Harumi downed the rest of her drink and put the cup on the table gently but firmly, eyes looking to the cafe's counter in anticipation of more. {In the face of the failure of everything else tried thus far, a double-edged sword is better than nothing at all.}

===[===]===​

Last edited:
feels like much of the conversation goes over my head...
though the idea of a reverse harems around a shipgirl to fuel her hunger for recruits, is interesting and amusing one. i hope to see a wholesome successful attempt of that .

Sorry I didn't respond, it was running around busy for a few days. The shenanigans part was the set-up of seeing long distances, being on high ground, talking of Abyssals, and going for drinks. I though there would be a sudden Abyssal raid, where the two of them sat on a hill drinking alcohol and shooting Abyssal destroyers. Basically two shipgirls doing the "go out back, get drunk, and shoot tin cans" thing. What with the talk of sudden raids and having the high ground where some have happened.

feels like much of the conversation goes over my head...
though the idea of a reverse harems around a shipgirl to fuel her hunger for recruits, is interesting and amusing one. i hope to see a wholesome successful attempt of that .
Is there anything in particular you need help in unpacking?

The long and short is that Harumi, who has lived through both the bursting of the Bubble Economy and Yamata, learnt of batchmates who committed suicide over their troubles, and watched her nation wither, to say nothing of her own familial tragedy, is thinking aloud if making use of the untapped human potential could be mutually beneficial for shipgirl and normal alike.

Ayaka is understandably dubious, thinking that any shipgirl use of normals would be more parasitic than symbiotic. See her talk of "laughter of thirsting god-princesses" and "shadow matriarchy".
Sorry I didn't respond, it was running around busy for a few days. The shenanigans part was the set-up of seeing long distances, being on high ground, talking of Abyssals, and going for drinks. I though there would be a sudden Abyssal raid, where the two of them sat on a hill drinking alcohol and shooting Abyssal destroyers. Basically two shipgirls doing the "go out back, get drunk, and shoot tin cans" thing. What with the talk of sudden raids and having the high ground where some have happened.
I see. The Watsonian reason that didn't happen is that this would not have been in character for either of them. Quincy or Missouri maybe. Hmm. Now there's a thought.

Doylist-wise... would have been too much of a mood whiplash. That kind of tonal inconsistency was one of the mistakes BelBat made that MAEt and I are trying to avoid.

Last edited:
Snippet was... uncooperative.

When Ayaka and Harumi got back to the capital ship dorms after dinner, they found Mika Nagamine slumped on one of the sofas in the common area. She was staring lifelessly at the blank screen of the off television.

"What's up with her?" Ayaka asked Essex, who was lounging around eating a lemon. For reasons unknown, the other shipgirl had developed such a habit after her remodel.

Essex shrugged.

"Naganami came in a while ago asking for you," Bell said. "When told you were out, she found that space, collapsed into it, and has hardly moved since."

"Me?" Ayaka asked, surprised.

Essex nodded.

Ayaka turned to Harumi. {Aren't you better equipped to handle this than me?}

Harumi shook her head. {If Mika-chan asked for you, she must have her reasons. I should not interfere.}

Ayaka sighed, then went over to the sofa Nagamine was sitting on and took a seat a polite distance away from the other shipgirl. {Nagamine-san? Were you looking for me?}

There was no response.

Ayaka shifted to look more closely at the other shipgirl.

{Voices of a Distant Star Original Soundtrack - Hanare Kouku Aishimi (Fading Sadness)}

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dhyj1EBK2k

Nagamine looked like shit, to be blunt. While the lack of smell or any other obvious fester meant that she was clearly maintaining her hygiene, it looked like she hadn't bothered to do more than the basics. She had not cut her hair to standardise its length after the uneven damage Northampton had done to it. There was a bare functionality to the grooming and nothing more.

Ayaka was having difficulty reconciling what she was currently seeing with the Naganami she had known. Was this how people felt when expecting Iowa to turn out in a certain way, a way which was different from herself? As vitriolic as some of the "That's #notmyIowa" posts had been, especially from the veterans of her first life, the dissonance she was feeling at seeing the Naganami-Nagamine gap made it almost understandable. Yamashiro had been close, but she hadn't actually been her sister. She'd been hurt by the loss and failure, but not to the same extent that Takanami's must have hurt.

Nevertheless, she tried again. {Nagamine-san?}

Nagamine's eyes rolled to look over. Her voice came out dead inside. {Io—Shirokaze-sensei?}

That term of address again. Ayaka suppressed a frown. {You were looking for me?}

{Yes.}

{Why me?} Ayaka asked. {Why not… even if you needed another Natural Born, why not Na---Harumi?} The first name still felt alien and profoundly unearned.

{I had a dream,} Nagamine said. {Shortly after Takanami died.} She paused briefly. {There were eight people in it. Me, someone who looked like Tsukinoe-hakase's granddaughter, Akagi-san, Watase-hakase, an older woman with short dark green hair I didn't recognise, you, someone else with blue hair in twintails and eyes I couldn't tell were blue or green, and another teen girl with a cat and a three-legged chair. The seventh one appeared in my warbook as a Shiratsuyu-class, but I couldn't tell exactly who.} Another drawn-out pause. {I don't know what it means.}

Ayaka didn't know why, but the mention of an older unknown with short dark green hair made her think of Yukino-sensei. Somehow, she knew that she was right. That said… {I don't see the link.} For a moment, she was reminded of what Alice had shown her of Shinkai's filmography, in particular that one unfinished concept that had sounded a bit too much like her own experiences. Then she thought about how the rest of said filmography did not align with the life stories of the people she recognised in Nagamine's dreams, and dismissed the thought.

{I don't either,} Nagamine said, {but there must be a reason why three of us Natural Borns, plus a fourth shipgirl of unknown nature, showed up. I just can't think of what that is.}

A period of awkward silence followed.

{What do you want me to say?} Ayaka eventually asked, pained. {I couldn't save Yamashiro. I can't make you better just like that. I didn't even know you too were a neverhuman, however obvious and many the clues seem now.}

{Sensei, do you dream of strange things too?} Nagamine asked.

{Eh?} Ayaka's confusion overrode her distaste for the title.

Nagamine's voice gained a distant quality. {I've been dreaming regularly of taking a train to and climbing the fire escape of a tall building. No matter how high I climbed, I could never get reception on the antique handphone I somehow had with me. I would open the door at the top floor and enter an unoccupied classroom, chairs on tables and clearly unused for long. On approaching the tables, I would suddenly find myself in space, and then the dream would end.}

Perplexed, Ayaka didn't reply for a while. The very strange mental image of "antique handphone" didn't help. When she eventually did, she said, {I don't know about strange dreams… Does a Typhoon of Cobras count? I do know, though, that there was a time when I was having dreams I couldn't remember, yet I was somehow sure that whatever I had been dreaming of was important.}

Nagamine gasped. Her eyes widened with undisguised shock and she started to shake.

Feeling like she had just stepped on a mine, Ayaka could only stare silently back. Eventually, she managed to cautiously ask, {Wha—what did I say?}

Nagamine took a while to respond. When she finally did, she said, {I was in Tokyo on the Eighth.} Ayaka didn't need it spelt out that she meant the 7th/8th of December. {I was there with… my class? I'm not sure. We were—we were doing—we—I don't remember. I can't remember. It was supposed to have been a normal—no, if it had been just normal, I wouldn't be remembering it. Why can't I remember, then, and why am I so sure nevertheless that it was supposed to have been special?!}

Ayaka failed to suppress a wince. The younger shipgirl's growing distress that had cut through the malaise was painfully obvious. There was an eerie parallel to the way Nagamine spoke about not being able to remember something important while simultaneously having a strong feeling as to the importance of what had been forgotten.

{I don't remember what happened that day,} Nagamine said, rubbing at her temples. {I—yes, I know that was the day the abyssals first attacked, but why I was there, what I was there for, I can't remember. Maybe if I could remember the preparations I must have made or any instructions and briefings received, I could derive it, but the blast radius of the damage to my memory is bigger than the day itself.}

{The day itself is one thing, but how much did you retain from the psychological reconstruction afterwards?}

{Psychological recon—oh.} Initial confusion gave way to understanding as Nagamine recognised the similarity in their circumstances. Then her face fell again. {No. The earliest thing Other Me has is still some time after my Reawakening, after the first battle ended.}

{Oh.} That was all Ayaka could say.

"Un." Nagamine frowned more deeply. {I have the memories, but it—I don't know. That was me, wasn't it? Getting Takanami sunk and staying afloat to regret it? Recruiting well enough to consistently maintain a full complement and never tiring of it, for all the good that would do?}

The warbook was a curse sometimes. The crew of a destroyer might be a fraction that of a capship like herself, but it was still no small amount of men.

{That was me… wasn't it? I never got that far with No-kun. Didn't even start. Do normal people… am I… aren't normal people supposed to feel guilty about this? Because I don't… Aren't I supposed to feel that this very lack is wrong?} On this topic, like with Harumi earlier, there was no distress or other negativity to be found in her tone or emotion despite the words that might suggest otherwise.

{Aren't you asking the wrong person?} Ayaka let out a self-deprecating laugh. {I'm an old woman who's seen both by herself and with her grandmother enough men and women who thought that promiscuity would be an empowering liberation. They thought wrong. This hag's antiquated ways perceive it as the desecration of what's supposed to be the beautiful union of mind, body and soul and tainting the self with kegare just for the sake of a little short-lived physical pleasure. I'm biased.} She figured it wasn't her place to tell of Harumi's not registering it negatively on an emotional level; if the older shipgirl wanted, she could say it herself. {Are we really built different from frails? I don't know enough to say, especially not without a longitudinal study. You should be asking someone more in touch with the times.}

{Old…?} Nagamine looked at Ayaka with confusion. {You're only 10-ish years my senior.}

{Some of my teachers were only that much older than me, or even less,} Ayaka said, thinking of Ms Yukino. It was surreal being on the other side of this conversation after what she had said to Harumi. {Did you really not have anyone among the rest of us Natural Borns in that age range?}

{Kashima-san or Suzuya-san, I guess… whatever their original names were, or… but if you mean my schoolmates, I can't remember.} Nagamine's face twisted with sudden pain.

{Oh.} Ayaka abruptly realised that she had hit a nerve. {I'm so sorry for bringing that up.}

{Don't be.}

Speaking of relationships, though, reminded Ayaka of what Harumi had said earlier in the day. {Did you actually make… No-kun… yours before that day?}

{Did I… what?}

Ayaka waved a hand. {You know, confess to him, make him your boyfriend? Things like that?}

{I don't think so?}

Ayaka nodded, struck by revelation. {That might explain it.}

Nagamine looked at her without understanding. {How so?}

Ayaka paused to choose her words carefully. {There were… other Natural Borns I spoke to who told me how, lacking any attachments to anchor them, they were unable to muster the will to resist the hunger. I had Uileag before I Reawakened, and that might have been why I was able to fight it off.}

Nagamine's face fell. Well, fell even more. {I never said anything like that to him back then. I… should have, right?}

{Maybe.} Ayaka thought of hospital rooms, skies lit by falling meteorites, and Yamashiro. {No one knows… no one used to be able to know when it might be too late.}

Nagamine grunted even as she took out her handphone, though she did not rouse it, instead staring at the black screen. {Other Me logged the receipt of many calls and notifications, none of which it deemed necessary to pick up or return. When I… became functional enough to check, I noticed that No-kun was the most recent and frequent contact, even more than my mother. I couldn't believe it.} She raised a hand to her face, which had developed into something like hysteric crying laughter less the actual tears.

{Now there's a touching story,} Ayaka said, unironically this time. {If he hasn't given up on you even after so long, he's a keeper. My husband, he went to great lengths to save me in the past, and he didn't give up on me after years even though it would have been easier for him to have done so.} Ayaka wasn't sure why she suddenly thought of Akagi again at this point.

{Would he even still want me after what I've done, though?} Nagamine was troubled and not sure why. {Why do I even ask this question when it didn't bother me previously?}

Ayaka thought back to Harumi's words from earlier. {Perhaps it is what we shipgirls are and can do that makes the difference.}

{Eh?}

{A warship is a predator at heart, yes?}

{... Yes?}

{Yet it is also crewed by those who swear allegiance to their countries and constitutions to act with duty, faithfulness, honor, integrity and loyalty, fighting for a higher cause than mere mammon?}

{... Yes?}

{For such oaths, values and virtues are what separate ships in naval service from those used by pirates and others who sail to satiate their own selfish desires?}

{... Yes?}

Touched by another Eureka, something that could pass for a smile flitted across Ayaka's face. {To be diversely manned is part of the ship condition and thus the Ship doesn't care. Yet fidelity is important enough to human relationships that even the Summoned, despite not otherwise caring who they recruit from, have it burnt into their psyches not to lie with an already attached man. What more us who were human born and raised?}

{Yet humans who can care about fidelity in relationships are also those who can break faith. Ironic.} Nagamine said bitterly. {Us Natural Borns have the worst of both worlds. Why couldn't I have been a Summoned instead? That way, I wouldn't have to think about all this.}

{They're not immune to this kind of concern, you know?} Ayaka asked.

{Eh? Really? Those people?} Nagamine stared at her disbelievingly.

{Really. Some of the more… acclimatised ones have told me.} Ayaka thought of what Yorktown had admitted to.

{That's strange,} Nagamine said. {I thought the ideal of the ship is to be an unquestioning cog in the naval machine. Not to pick up… human foibles.}

{You would think?} Ayaka shook her head. {I won't claim that I know the will of the kamisamatachi, and they have never pretended to be omniscient, but I would like to think that to be informed by and develop humanity is a feature, not a bug. Why else not leave us as combat savants like the abyssals, tactically astute but incapable of thinking about the future? Why else have the milk of man be the best means of recruiting, the intake of a portion of and joining with their souls be a means of developing sidelinks?}

Nagamine made a face but did not protest aloud.

{Give yourself another chance, Nagamine-san. Go to your No-kun and try again. If he was willing to hold out for you for so long, he might yet be able to understand and accept you. Don't say it's over till it's over, not when from a certain point of view it hasn't even begun.}

{I don't know about that.} Nagamine silently spun the phone in her hand. {I am Naganami,} this latest sentence was said in the Kansai-ben of her first life's origin, before going back to her usual delivery, {and yet I am not? Am more?} She flexed an arm and watched as the boxy, mecha-style bracer formed over it before receding. {My class was not some major breakthrough, and Tanaka-shōshō was no radical heterodox, so whatever my rigging is supposed to be must come from… whatever inspired my dreams? Which is… what and where?}

{I don't know, much as I wish I could help you,} Ayaka said regretfully. {My way forward was known to me since young, even though I spent a lot of time trying to defy it. Your paradigm is also very different from mine.}

Nagamine grumbled. {I wish there was an easy answer to this.}

Ayaka made a sound that didn't quite rise to the level of a laugh. {If you could invent one, I'm sure millions would be happy to buy from you.}

{Still… Shirokaze-sensei, do you think you would have been just sent back out if you hadn't recovered yourself? The… 'you' was combat-ready, wasn't it?}

Now wasn't that an interesting question. {I didn't ask. Didn't think of it. Probably didn't want to. I'd like to think not… but I'm not sure.}

{I guess it's different since you were already known to be a Natural Born when it happened. Unlike me.} Nagamine sighed. {Unlike me, you gave everything.}

{I really didn't,} Ayaka said, shaking her head. {I didn't take the final step despite my best efforts. If I had, Yamashiro would still be afloat, not me.}

{You still gave everything short of it, and nearly died doing so. I didn't even go that far. Northampton was right.}

Ayaka jerked in her seat at the admission and noticed the hardening expression on Nagamine's face, the eyes starting to light.

{I've been playing human all this while.} Nagamine clenched her right hand into a fist and a holographic wireframe of a bracer sprang into existence around her forearm even as she bared teeth with determination. It was noticeably sleeker and different from what she had been previously using. {I won't make that mistake next time.}

===[===]===​

Last edited:
Chapter 42

===[===]===

CHAPTER 42

===[===]===​

The rain had stopped by the next morning. A cloudless brilliant blue summer sky awaited.

Ayaka's mood didn't match the weather. Sleep hadn't come easily the previous night despite the storm, and the cleansing bliss of the eye-opener she had gotten out of Uileag was already fading. She had to stifle yawns.

There weren't as many snoopers as there had previously been. Under other circumstances, Ayaka might have welcomed the reduction in the number of busybodies. Whatever anonymity she might have wanted to pretend she once had, the scarlet scar splitting her face now was a distinguishing mark no one could miss. She was fairly certain, however, that the shortfall was not due to familiarity if the way paparazzi hounded extensively-photographed celebrities was any indication. No, the reduction likely spoke to a worsening of public sentiment about the war, such that people were laying low or moving away out of fear.

{Naka—Harumi, aren't your escorts coming?} Ayaka asked. The first name and yobisute - going without honorific - still felt unearned.

Harumi shook her head.

Ayaka was secretly glad she didn't have to deal with the angry brunette lashing out again. She wasn't foolish enough to say it aloud, though, even if it was highly likely that Harumi wouldn't have said anything, or even outright agreed.

She paused outside the main entrance, unsure as to which way to go. To the left and Yokosuka-Chūō Station was the route that had been customarily taken with Yamashiro. To the right and Yokosuka Station… was the memorial that had been made for Yamashiro's first life. Neither was desirable.

Harumi patiently stood aside and let her think.

Eventually, Ayaka decided that the left path was the lesser evil.

The decline wasn't quite as obvious outside the immediate vicinity of the base. Yokosuka was not a cramped place, with half the density and a seventh the total population of Yokohama to the north, which was itself Tokyo's inferior. Traffic was rarely heavy at off-peak hours like these, such that any difference from the norm was not readily apparent. The two reached Yokosuka-Chūō Station without further incident and boarded a Kaitoku Limited Express train of the Keikyū Main Line bound for Tokyo.

{Katana ZERO Original Soundtrack feat. ludoWic - Third District}

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXFw_vfb7p4

By the time the train left Yokosuka's mostly low-rise suburbs and crossed the interurban areas into the Yokohama outskirts, though, it was impossible to deny that something was wrong. Under normal circumstances, Japan's second-largest city should have had a commensurately greater thickness of traffic compared to its southern neighbour. Now, though, there were noticeably fewer vehicles visible on the road than expected. The number of passengers boarding, or visible waiting for their rides for that matter, was equally diminished. When there were around 400,000 passengers a day at the eponymous station compared to 70,000 at Yokosuka-Chūō, even a small shortfall was much more obvious.

After departing Yokohama Station, the train continued to hum and rattle as it went on its way through Kawasaki and across the Tama River, finally leaving Kanagawa Prefecture for the Tokyo Metropolis proper. As she had a few times before, Ayaka listened - but like with the others, there was no spirit within, only inanimate steel and plastic. In any case, it was too new to awaken as a tsukumogami on its own. The entire line was, never mind individual rolling stock.

The Keikyū Main Line terminated at Sengakuji Station. Ayaka and Harumi got off and changed to the Toei Asakusa Line to continue their journey.

{Oshiage today?} Harumi asked.

Ayaka shook her head. {Asakusa. I want to walk from there. Then… I'll see.}

Harumi nodded acknowledgement.

As a quiet part of Minato Ward even under normal circumstances, the situation at Sengakuji didn't say much. Shinagawa Station just one stop before, though, was a major interchange, not least because it was the eastern terminus of the L0 Chūō Shinkansen. It had visibly fewer people waiting even from what little could be seen at the Keikyū platform. Furthermore, as the subway passed through normally more populous stations like Mita and Nihombashi, passenger numbers remained low.

They eventually arrived at Asakusa Station. On reaching the surface, Ayaka was struck by how quiet it was. She vividly remembered from back in 2019 the noisy crowds going to, thronging, and coming from the Kaminarimon. Even the last time she had been here prior to deploying on the Southeast Asia campaign, well over a year into the war, it had hardly been deserted. Now, though, it was almost totally devoid of visitors. The rickshaw drivers she could see were alternately dispirited and worried as they looked for fares. Not wanting to give false hope of her patronage, she was careful not to make eye contact.

Ayaka was not going out of her way to explore today. There had been a time to rush around seeing the sights, but this was not it. As such, the two of them simply headed onto the Azumabashi, which was the closest bridge to Asakusa Station.

Halfway across, Ayaka paused and turned to trace the course of the Sumida River north until it turned out of view, hidden by distant buildings. It seemed as placid as ever from above. A deceptive look, she knew. The river had existed in antiquity long before man's attempt to name it, to delineate "Arakawa" and "Sumida" where there had only been the former. Its mizugami was equally ancient. The only thing of importance was that the river flowed, and if it burst its banks and took human life from time to time, guilt was a quaint human thing that the kamisama in question had no conception of.

Sumida City was not a place anyone would call "middle of nowhere". It might not have a stop on the normally perennially bursting at the seams Yamanote Line to act as a crowd-drawing core, but it had its fair share of other attractions. Between Asahi Breweries Headquarters (yes, the one with the golden turd), Kinshichō Station, the Ryōgoku Kokugikan, Sumida Triphony Hall and, of course, Tokyo Skytree, to say nothing of spillover from the Asakusa area across the namesake river, the special ward ordinarily drew no insignificant traffic.

That only served to make the stark sight of shuttered shops in the morning light as Ayaka and Harumi walked down Asakusa-dori all the more haunting. If they had been back-alley establishments at night, one might have been able to make the excuse that they had closed early or were in poor locations that had failed to draw enough footfall. With this kind of excellent frontage and devoid of any sign of being meant for nightlife, though, no such rationalisation was possible. To make matters worse, these were not merely places that had closed down near the start of the war and had never been replaced; Ayaka had seen some still open just a year ago, before embarking on the ill-fated campaign. Traffic both pedestrian and vehicular was also more sparse than before, and the near-silence of what should have been a bustling main street was unsettling. Every one that did pass seemed that much louder for it.

Ayaka stopped to look at the distinctive ship-shaped playground of Oyokogawa Water Park as they passed it. Normally, there should have been kids playing while their parents lingered watchfully nearby. On this pleasantly warm day, though, it was incongruously deserted. When she turned back, she saw Harumi also looking contemplatively at it.

On to the Skytree, though.

634 metres - the third-tallest structure in the world - was not a short height. An Ayaka just six years younger - and didn't that feel so far away now - had found it awe-inspiring in a way that no photo or video did justice.

The Ayaka of now, rated for an AA ceiling almost twenty times that with the 5"/38s and electromagnetic-plus sensing several times further beyond on passives alone, wasn't quite so impressed any longer. That she could casually Step the distance to the top didn't help.

They took a left at Daimon Street, and after a bit more, they were there.

Tokyo Solamachi was quiet in a way no major mall ought to be even on a weekday morning. Though the lights were on and alluring displays sprick and span, Ayaka didn't need to deliberately listen for mental voices to notice the fear and worry of shop staff quietly desperate to get just one more customer. She wondered how many would still be around next year. If there was a next year for any of them.

The ticketing area for the Skytree proper was almost totally devoid of customers. There was genuine joy on the faces of the staff, not just that which was obligated to be put on, at seeing the two of them. Their movements and words were, even by already great Japanese standards, overflowing with energy and enthusiasm. The two swiftly received their tickets and were eagerly ushered to the lift to the Tembo Deck.

The previous night's storm had left the sky clear in a way rarely seen in midsummer. The nearly unobstructed view in all directions from up here gave Ayaka complicated feelings. For baselines, appreciation of views from height was hampered by the fact that at some point, all the buildings blended together into an indistinct clump of colours and individual humans became but ants or less when seen with the naked eye. For shipgirls, who were their own binoculars, that point was much further out. For them, it was still possible to recognise individual structures, human features or vehicles well beyond the limits of baselines.

Such superhuman vision was also a double-edged sword, however. Mount Fuji seemed as eternal as ever; if its end would come someday from gradual but inexorable erosion, all mortals looking on it now would have been long dead by then. The beachfront of Sagami Bay to the west was still mostly intact too, the Miura Peninsula not being enough of an obstacle to the ability of FLEACT Yokosuka's tenants to mount timely interventions. As a result, the abyssals had not managed to penetrate deep into the interior of western Kanagawa Prefecture.

The same could not be said of even further west, or of the east coast of Honshū. The greater girth of the Bōsō Peninsula was a hindrance to reinforcement of the east coast. The north was covered by Shimakaze and the inhabitants of Ōminato, but that still left a large gap where neither Ōminato nor Yokosuka could reinforce in a timely manner. This was marred by far too many blackened bulks of buildings ruined by abyssal attack. The curvature of the Earth made seeing the further reaches of the Tōhoku coast from here physically impossible, but Ayaka had seen enough on the way down from Hokkaido through both optics and seaplanes. They had been abandoned after the deaths of their inhabitants or evacuated from and never returned to, the damage largely neglected by a government that was slow even in peacetime to clear up the akiya or haikyo and had yet to finish cleaning up the areas affected by the Great East Japan Earthquake and Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster, 11 years on, when the first abyssal attacks had happened. There was even less time and resource to spare now. While the trains continued chugging dutifully on along lonely lines heading into the depths of the countryside, the saliently smaller numbers of people and private vehicles that plied the roads were painfully plain to see.

Tokyo's northern outskirts were still mostly intact, few abyssal attacks having made it this far when there was a far more target-rich environment along the way. It was dissonant. Saitama and the prefectures further north knew little of what had befallen their more southerly peers. How long would that remain the case?

After the first, contemplatively slow circling of the nearly eerily empty floor, the two of them stopped at the equally customer-free Skytree Café. Harumi ordered a highball.

{Isn't it too early for that?} Ayaka asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Iie."

Shipgirls were resistant to the intoxicating effects of alcohol, even if the personae created by some of their number made it seem otherwise. However, the firm, unambiguous negative delivered with no hesitation whatsoever, contrary to Japanese norms, to say nothing of Kyoto's or Harumi's own, said enough. The delicate but long pull she took afterwards was just unnecessary punctuation.

Deciding that she didn't want to ask further, Ayaka got a Sky Soft and joined Harumi at a table far from the counter. Despite Vestal's assurances to the contrary, shipgirl gynecology was undeveloped enough a field that Ayaka didn't want to take any chances by exposing the baby to alcohol.

{Ayaka, do you think Japan has a future?} Harumi abruptly asked after gesturing for her to switch to En-secure radio.

{Katana ZERO Original Soundtrack feat. LudoWic - Panoramic Feelings}

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEJzaQlMYEI

Ayaka stared. While the other shipgirl was known to down a few steins per session before, she was secretly wondering despite all knowledge to the contrary if the alcohol had already begun to kick in. After a few moments of awkward silence, she asked, {Eh? Isn't it premature to think about the future with how things are going?}

"Hontō desu ka?" Harumi waved a hand dismissively, her tone tinged with nigh-imperceivable unlucky ship bitterness. {I have spent two thirds of my life just putting one foot in front of the other, unable to care where the road led. Let this old maid pretend there's something to look forward to just this once. Besides…} She leaned back against the table; the venue was standing-only. Despite her greatly inferior physical stature, the heavy look she gave Ayaka bore the full weight of the century since her past life's launch. {I am old enough to remember both the bursting of the Bubble and Yamata, and what they did to this country. My batch and those shortly before were already missing people even before this war started. Perhaps they were the lucky ones.}

Ayaka winced at the implications.

Harumi turned to stare at the cityscape behind with its antlike people and buildings shrinking into the horizon.

Ayaka wasn't sure why her perennially hyperactive imagination suddenly gave her the mental image of sitting on a hill all liquored up, shooting the breeze and tin cans in the naval sense. It sounded like something Missouri or Quincy would enjoy doing.

Harumi turned back to Ayaka and continued speaking. {30 years later, the Lost Decade has become a Lost Generation, and it seems like little has changed. So many have given up on having children, married life, or employment and society entirely. Our birth rate continues to drop with no sign of slowing in sight. If that person had been willing to wait for a few more generations, we would have done her work for her.}

Ayaka looked dubiously at her while thinking of what had been learnt from past current affairs education. {I know that… but I don't know what I can contribute that decades of dedicated, better-qualified experts and specialists haven't already thought about.}

{Do you think you would have settled if you had reached my age without finding your way back to Uileag-kun?} Harumi suddenly asked.

Ayaka stared hard in response to the non sequitur. The thought was abhorrent, and yet, if she tried to fight through the instinctual revulsion, she had to admit… {I'm not so sure.}

{Perhaps it is what we shipgirls are and can do that makes the difference.} There was a strange wistfulness to Harumi's tone now. {Even in her semicatatonic state, Hahaue somehow remembers to nag me about getting married. It wasn't long before I learnt to just apologise and agree in order to get her to stop… but sometimes I wonder if I should have been more diligent. The first time the purple and hunger hit, there was no one to anchor my will that I might resist its siren call after reason failed. My first source of manpower was someone that I hadn't known for even a day, and what I registered on an emotional level was bliss, completeness and fulfillment. There was then and still now no condemnation.}

Just a few years earlier, Ayaka would have sputtered, shocked, at the sudden swerve into the intimate from the last person she had been expecting it from. Shintō might not demand celibacy, but the idea of none less than a fellow priestess callously squandering the highest intimacy which violation was the worst possible thing that could happen would have been mortifying. After two years of grappling with the Ship's insatiable hunger and the laxity of the vast majority of her comrades, though, all that a now-desensitised her could do was flatly ask, {Do I really want to know?}

{The Ship found my first source of manpower not from the nightlife establishments like one might expect, but instead near a konbini.} Harumi's expression and tone didn't shift, and Ayaka's read of her emotional state showed that outside accurately reflected inside. {After the first time he gave of himself, he broke down despite the fugue and started crying about how… he was not much older than me, but he had no idea what he was doing with his life, why he was working beyond the search for simple sustenance or where he was going without anyone at his age.}

The emotional intimacy and vulnerability of intercourse notwithstanding, how far beyond merely distressed did one have to be to break down and start pouring out your soul to a total stranger? Ayaka felt abruptly ashamed of having bemoaned still being single at 25. How petty and childish it sounded now.

{Fortunately, his story had a happy ending. I sent him on his way, and I glimpsed him again from afar a year later, not having partaken of him again in the intervening time. By then he was healthier and happier, wearing matching rings with a woman by his side. He was not the last lost soul I would encounter or life I would better.}

{Now there's a touching story, but I doubt that will make the difference you seem to want to think it will,} Ayaka said sourly. {I've seen enough long-term so-to-speak repeat customers for my sisters and comrades that I'm remembering faces despite my best efforts. Besides, those who most need help turning their lives around, like the hikikomori, are exactly the kind of people you wouldn't conveniently find outdoors, but must seek out.}

{That's true,} Harumi said. {Perhaps all that mercy shown this nation did was put us on borrowed time, only to leave us now in a 30-year long tailspin that there seems to be no way to recover from.}

{Isn't that taking this too far?} Ayaka asked incredulously. {Even most of those who advocate for euthanasia don't call for preemptive suicide in anticipation of problems that are yet to be.}

Harumi demurely raised an eyebrow. {But many such people do say that others should be killed so as to be spared growing up in potential poverty and suffering, no?}

Ayaka's agreement came out in a sighed {I've noticed.}

{It sounds noble that way, does it not? Delivering salvation. Our enemy thinks she is doing the same. "For the good of mankind." Perhaps Kaga-san was right to say that we should not have survived World War II.} A sister-of-Yamashiro bitter chuckle slipped out.

Ayaka remembered early on how Ning Hai and Ping Hai had been openly hostile to Kaga and to a lesser extent the other Japanese, even if it had receded with time. "Old killers brought back for wetwork". That was what Kaga had said so many times. By this point, Ayaka was finding it hard to disagree.

{Did you know? There were times when I wondered if Yamashiro would have gotten serious with any of her sources.}

Ayaka flinched at the wholly unanticipated mention of Yamashiro. The way Harumi didn't even have any untoward reaction or shy away from it didn't help. She could only sputter in her surprise. {Big sister things?} she eventually managed, thinking of Kagami.

{That is so.} Harumi made an old-before-her-time sound. {The pursuit of an admiral is unsustainable, like one of those harem stories where everyone else loses in the end. Even for the Summoned who are able to get their admirals, will one man really suffice?}

{I've wondered about that as far as Uileag and I are concerned.} Ayaka made a noise befitting her contemplation. {Perhaps wedlock is an inviolable oath for shipgirls, such that its deliberate breaking even in pursuit of manpower is unthinkable.}

{That would be a nice thought.} Harumi didn't sound convinced.

{Loath to generalise from so few data points?}

{Oh my, what a Choukai-chan thing to say… but yes.} Harumi made a sound that could pass for a laugh. {Yes, I suppose when the only two points of reference are you and Shinohara-san---}

{Who?}

Harumi blinked. {Akagi-san?}

Ohhh. {Oh. Right.}

{Yes, when the only two known shipgirl-human marriages at this point are with Natural Borns, perhaps it is premature to try drawing a conclusion. It could well be that your past supernatural experiences were the inoculating factor. Then again, expecting any of the Summoned to settle for just one might indeed be a fool's errand considering our needs. Perhaps that's exactly what we need to cut down the number of unattached men with no other hope.}

Ayaka raised an eyebrow. {Harumi, what are you talking about?}

{We hunger, do we not?}

Ayaka nodded. {We do.} There had been a time when she would have reacted with horror and consternation. Now, though, she didn't feel anything more than mild resignation about it. To say that the 2,788-strong aching void within her would never be fully manned without making a big dent in the wildlife or criminal population was not strictly accurate. That said, despite the discount from the innate skeleton crew, Uileag was still not able to singlehandedly supply all the manpower she needed in one session even now. Thanks to the demands of combat, the number of times she had managed to accumulate a complete crew complement over multiple recruitment sessions remained few indeed.

{Being fully manned is part and parcel of being combat ready, and when we feel the need, we care not from whence the manpower flows, only that it does. Given the codes the Summoned follow, the men who are less physically attractive are often less likely to have partners than their more blessed peers, and therefore are more likely to be available to be sourced from.}

Ayaka had to admit that there was something hilariously ironic about shipgirls, who were almost all peerless on a physical level, being more egalitarian where physical appearance was concerned than many human women. {And the hunger also protects.} She had heard the stories in places where no wrong ears could be found of how more than a few would-be predators expecting easy prey had found exactly the opposite.

{That is so.} Harumi let out another sound that could pass for a laugh even as she raised her cup like she was offering a toast. {Yamashiro, my sister, I love you and miss you, but… 'feed beyond our need'? You kept using that word. I do not think it means what you thought it meant.}

Forewarned by Harumi's earlier carelessness, Ayaka did not startle again. Still, she was starting to regret this train of thought, not least because of the bizarre idea of someone who needed 1,900 drawing a line with the even more gluttonous. {That isn't our mission,} she said with bluntness that surprised even herself. {Is the laughter of thirsting god-princesses really a strong foundation for a sustainable society?}

{"Foundation"?} Confusion briefly formed on Harumi's face as she lowered the cup, but it was swiftly replaced by firm comprehension. {Ayaka, you misunderstand. The men who are most vital and able, those who do not lack the drive, they do not need the help of a shipgirl to make something of themselves. All this does is offer a helping hand to those who cannot.}

{That still seems more like an opiate, treating the symptoms rather than actually curing the disease.} It was Ayaka's turn to not be convinced. {How do you know that any of those being recruited from by Sierra Mikes, or by any of the rest of us for that matter, will be bettered the way yours have, instead of being reduced to cows?}

{Yes, there is such a risk,} Harumi said. The words didn't sound concessionary to Ayaka. {I do not believe it is a great one. We who are meant to sortie, not be tied to piers like Yamato-san, would not subject others to what we hate.} Were the other shipgirl's eyes starting to glow faintly, or was it just coincidentally-reflected sunlight? {In any case, how do you 'cure the disease'? Where do you start? With the Diet and laws mandating leave and overtime limits and pay raises, as well as some way of preventing end-runs like contract roles, nomikai and take-home work? With the C-suites and boardrooms donating benefits and easing up on those beneath? With the shareholders seeking returns on what they've given? With all of us, ever afraid to be the first to break the mould and put our feet down, hammering down fellow nails when they stick out?}

Ayaka pursed her lips around the spoon and nodded neutrally. Harumi was emitting a kind of gauntlet-in-velvet intensity, like a snail crawling on the straight razor's edge between the demure Kyoto priestess and the battleship that, even though outdated and unlucky, was still not something that anyone with a brain got into a stand-up fight with. The mechalupine pressure might not be as blatant as with Yamashiro, but it was still far from intangible. Out of the corner of her eye, Ayaka noticed the cafe's staff starting to look green around the gills despite the distance and not know why.

Harumi partook of the amber ambrosia again before continuing. {Let us say you think there is no single viable angle of attack, but that everyone is to blame, the whole system is diseased, rotten to the core, and want to burn it to the ground, start over from zero that new life will be born beneath the bloodstained sand. What happens next? Destruction is easy. That person only needs to burn it to the ground in order to fulfill her oath. She does not need to worry about what comes next.}

Ayaka grimaced. *Damn your hasty oath, Halsey,* she thought.

{A revolution that merely lets the chips fall where they may without any idea of the way forward only satisfies the lust for revenge without pointing to a new future. If there is no plan, everything defaults to the law of the wild, and the strongest warlord takes it all. That helps no one, especially not those who most need it.} Harumi looked into her cup with an intensity that didn't quite rise to a stare, then returned her attention to Ayaka. "'A mind is a terrible thing to waste.'" {Is there not such a saying?}

{Yes…?} Ayaka was confused by the brief switch to English there.

{This is the same. Perhaps there is a danger that some who could rise might instead end up in servitude to those of us who do not appreciate how far they have come, but if the alternative is to continue wasting away day by day with potential untapped, is there not only gain to be had in being recruited from? Some are born great, some achieve greatness, some have greatness thrust upon them, and some more, if they cannot use their talents, can at least thrust themselves into greatness so that the recipient can use it for a better cause.}

Ayaka silently wondered how much of what Harumi was saying was the quiet desperation and frustration of the exhuman boiling over after decades of percolating, how much was Fusou the neglected and unlucky unceremoniously slaughtered ship taking up her late sister's disgruntlement, and how much was the alcohol talking. Had none of the protests against being seen as a replacement for Yamashiro gotten through to her? Had she never managed to discuss these things with her sister? While that late shipgirl had been more self-reflective than most, she had still been a Sierra Mike, and it was not much of a stereotype to say that there was a certainty, purity and simplicity of purpose to most of those. Yorktown's angst wouldn't have been so remarkable otherwise. Ayaka's own sisters weren't doing anything to disprove it.

Aloud, Ayaka merely asked, {Surely there must be something in between wiping the slate clean to start over from zero and shadow matriarchy that will let people have hope and a bright future again?}

{Even though the sky is so blue… a generation has come of age without anything making a difference.} Harumi downed the rest of her drink and put the cup on the table gently but firmly, eyes looking to the cafe's counter in anticipation of more. {In the face of the failure of everything else tried thus far, a double-edged sword is better than nothing at all.}

===[===]===​

When Ayaka and Harumi got back to the capital ship dorms after dinner, they found Mika Nagamine slumped on one of the sofas in the common area. She was staring lifelessly at the blank screen of the off television.

"What's up with her?" Ayaka asked Essex, who was lounging around eating a lemon. For reasons unknown, the other shipgirl had developed such a habit after her remodel.

Essex shrugged.

"Naganami came in a while ago asking for you," Bell said. "When told you were out, she found that space, collapsed into it, and has hardly moved since."

"Me?" Ayaka asked, surprised.

Essex nodded.

Ayaka turned to Harumi. {Aren't you better equipped to handle this than me?}

Harumi shook her head. {If Mika-chan asked for you, she must have her reasons. I should not interfere.}

Ayaka sighed, then went over to the sofa Nagamine was sitting on and took a seat a polite distance away from the other shipgirl. {Nagamine-san? Were you looking for me?}

There was no response.

Ayaka shifted to look more closely at the other shipgirl.

{Voices of a Distant Star Original Soundtrack - Hanare Kouku Aishimi (Fading Sadness)}

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dhyj1EBK2k

Nagamine looked like shit, to be blunt. While the lack of odour or any other obvious fester meant that she was clearly maintaining her hygiene, it looked like she hadn't bothered to do more than the basics. She had not cut her hair to standardise its length after the uneven damage Northampton had done to it. There was a bare functionality to the grooming and nothing more.

Ayaka was having difficulty reconciling what she was currently seeing with the Naganami she had known. Was this how people felt when expecting Iowa to turn out in a certain way, a way which was different from herself? As vitriolic as some of the "That's #notmyIowa" posts had been, especially from the veterans of her first life, the dissonance she was feeling at seeing the Naganami-Nagamine gap made it almost understandable. Yamashiro had been close, but she hadn't actually been her sister. She'd been hurt by the loss and failure, but not to the same extent that Takanami's must have hurt.

Nevertheless, she tried again. {Nagamine-san?}

Nagamine's eyes rolled to look over. Her voice came out dead inside. {Io—Shirokaze-sensei?}

That term of address again. Ayaka suppressed a frown. {You were looking for me?}

{Yes.}

{Why me?} Ayaka asked. {Why not… even if you needed another Natural Born, why not Na—Harumi?} The first name still felt alien and profoundly unearned.

{I had a dream,} Nagamine said. {Shortly after Takanami died.} She paused briefly. {There were eight people in it. Me, someone who looked like Tsukinoe-hakase's granddaughter, Akagi-san, Watase-hakase, an older woman with short dark green hair I didn't recognise, you, someone else with blue hair in twintails and eyes I couldn't tell were blue or green, and another teen girl with a cat and a three-legged chair. The seventh one appeared in my warbook as a Shiratsuyu-class, but I couldn't tell exactly who.} Another drawn-out pause. {I don't know what it means.}

Ayaka didn't know why, but the mention of an older unknown with short dark green hair made her think of Yukino-sensei. Somehow, she knew that she was right. That said… {I don't see the link.} For a moment, she was reminded of what Alice had shown her of Shinkai's filmography, in particular that one unfinished concept that had sounded a bit too much like her own experiences. Then she thought about how the rest of said filmography did not align with the life stories of the people she recognised in Nagamine's dreams, and dismissed the thought.

{I don't either,} Nagamine said, {but there must be a reason why three of us Natural Borns, plus a fourth shipgirl of unknown nature, showed up. I just can't think of what that is.}

A period of awkward silence followed.

{What do you want me to say?} Ayaka eventually asked, pained. {I couldn't save Yamashiro. I can't make you better just like that, not without side effects. I didn't even know you too were a neverhuman, however obvious and many the clues seem now.}

{Sensei, do you dream of strange things too?} Nagamine asked.

{Eh?} Ayaka's confusion overrode her distaste for the title.

Nagamine's voice gained a distant quality. {I've been dreaming regularly of taking a train to and climbing the fire escape of a tall building. No matter how high I climbed, I could never get reception on the antique handphone I somehow had with me. I would open the door at the top floor and enter an unoccupied classroom, chairs on tables and clearly unused for long. On approaching the tables, I would suddenly find myself in space in a cockpit of some sort, and then the dream would end.}

Perplexed, Ayaka didn't reply for a while. The very strange mental image of "antique handphone" didn't help. When she eventually did, she said, {I don't know about strange dreams… Does a Typhoon of Cobras count? I do know, though, that there was a time when I was having dreams I couldn't remember, yet I was somehow sure that whatever I had been dreaming of was important.}

Nagamine gasped. Her eyes widened with undisguised shock and she started to shake.

Feeling like she had just stepped on a mine, Ayaka could only stare silently back. Eventually, she managed to cautiously ask, {Wha—what did I say?}

Nagamine took a while to respond. When she finally did, she said, {I was in Tokyo on the Eighth.} Ayaka didn't need it spelt out that she meant the 7th/8th of December. {I was there with… my class? I'm not sure. We were—we were doing—we—I don't remember. I can't remember. It was supposed to have been a normal—no, if it had been just normal, I wouldn't be remembering it. Why can't I remember, then, and why am I so sure nevertheless that it was supposed to have been special?!}

Ayaka failed to suppress a wince. The younger shipgirl's growing distress that had cut through the malaise was painfully obvious. There was an eerie parallel to the way Nagamine spoke about not being able to remember something important while simultaneously having a strong feeling as to the importance of what had been forgotten.

{I don't remember what happened that day,} Nagamine said, rubbing at her temples. {I—yes, I know that was the day the abyssals first attacked, but why I was there, what I was there for, I can't remember. Maybe if I could remember the preparations I must have made or any instructions and briefings received, I could derive it, but the blast radius of the damage to my memory is bigger than the day itself.}

{The day itself is one thing, but how much did you retain from the psychological reconstruction afterwards?}

{Psychological recon—oh.} Initial confusion gave way to understanding as Nagamine recognised the similarity in their circumstances. Then her face fell again. {No. The earliest thing Other Me has is still some time after my Reawakening, after the first battle ended.}

{Oh.} That was all Ayaka could say.

"Un." Nagamine frowned more deeply. {I have the memories, but it—I don't know. That was me, wasn't it? Getting Takanami sunk and staying afloat to regret it? Recruiting well enough to consistently maintain a full complement and never tiring of it, for all the good that would do?}

The warbook was a curse sometimes. The crew of a destroyer might be a fraction that of a capship like herself, but it was still no small amount of men.

{That was me… wasn't it? I never got that far with No-kun. Didn't even start. Do normal people… am I… aren't normal people supposed to feel guilty about this? Because I don't… Aren't I supposed to feel that this very lack is wrong?} On this topic, like with Harumi earlier, there was no distress or other negativity to be found in her tone or emotion despite the words that might suggest otherwise. Somehow, the bland neutrality just strengthened the contrast.

{Aren't you asking the wrong person?} Ayaka let out a self-deprecating laugh. {I'm an old woman who's seen both by herself and with her grandmother enough men and women who thought that promiscuity would be an empowering liberation. They thought wrong. This hag's antiquated ways perceive it as the desecration of what's supposed to be the beautiful union of mind, body and soul and tainting the self with kegare just for the sake of a little short-lived physical pleasure. I'm biased.} She figured it wasn't her place to tell of Harumi's also not registering it negatively on an emotional level; if the older shipgirl wanted, she could say it herself. {Are we really built different from frails? I don't know enough to say, especially not without a longitudinal study. You should be asking someone more in touch with the times.}

{Old…?} Nagamine looked at Ayaka with confusion. {You're only 10-ish years my senior.}

{Some of my teachers were only that much older than me, or even less,} Ayaka said, thinking of Ms Yukino. It was surreal being on the other side of this conversation after what she had said to Harumi. {Did you really not have anyone among the rest of us Natural Borns in that age range?}

{Kashima-san or Suzuya-san, I guess… whatever their original names were, or… but if you mean my schoolmates, I can't remember.} Nagamine's face twisted with sudden pain.

{Oh.} Ayaka abruptly realised that she had hit a nerve. {I'm so sorry for bringing that up.}

{Don't be.}

Speaking of relationships, though, reminded Ayaka of what Harumi had said earlier in the day. {Did you actually make… No-kun… yours before that day?}

{Did I… what?}

Ayaka waved a hand. {You know, confess to him, make him your boyfriend? Things like that?}

{I don't think so?}

Ayaka nodded, struck by revelation. {That might explain it.}

Nagamine looked at her without understanding. {How so?}

Ayaka paused to choose her words carefully. {There were… other Natural Borns I spoke to who told me how, lacking any attachments to anchor them, they were unable to muster the will to resist the hunger. I had Uileag before I Reawakened, and that might have been why I was able to fight it off.}

Nagamine's face fell. Well, fell even more. {I never said anything like that to him back then. I… should have, right?}

{Maybe.} Ayaka thought of hospital rooms, skies lit by falling meteorites, and Yamashiro. {No one knows… no one used to be able to know when it might be too late.}

Nagamine grunted even as she took out her handphone, though she did not rouse it, instead staring at the black screen. {Other Me logged the receipt of many calls and notifications, none of which it deemed necessary to pick up or return. When I… became functional enough to check, I noticed that No-kun was the most recent and frequent contact, even more than my mother. I couldn't believe it.} She raised a hand to her face, which had developed into something like hysteric crying laughter less the actual tears.

{Now there's a touching story,} Ayaka said, unironically this time. {If he hasn't given up on you even after so long, he's a keeper. My husband, he went to great lengths to save me in the past, and he didn't give up on me after years even though it would have been easier for him to have done so.} Ayaka wasn't sure why she suddenly thought of Akagi again at this point, though she inexplicably had the feeling that something had turned out the opposite way for the other shipgirl.

{Would he even still want me after what I've done, though?} Nagamine was troubled and not sure why. {Why do I even ask this question when it didn't bother me previously?}

Ayaka thought back to Harumi's words from earlier. {Perhaps it is what we shipgirls are and can do that makes the difference.}

{Eh?}

{A warship is a predator at heart, yes?}

{... Yes?}

{Yet it is also crewed by those who swear allegiance to their countries and constitutions to act with duty, faithfulness, honor, integrity and loyalty, fighting for a higher cause than mere mammon?}

{... Yes?}

{For such oaths, values and virtues are what separate ships in naval service from those used by pirates and others who sail to satiate their own selfish desires?}

{... Yes?}

Touched by another Eureka, something that could pass for a smile flitted across Ayaka's face. {To be diversely manned is part of the ship condition and thus the Ship doesn't care. Yet fidelity is important enough to human relationships that even the Summoned, despite not otherwise caring who they recruit from, have it burnt into their psyches not to lie with an already attached man. What more us who were human born and raised?}

{Yet humans who can care about fidelity in relationships are also those who can break faith. Ironic.} Nagamine said bitterly. {Us Natural Borns have the worst of both worlds. Why couldn't I have been a Summoned instead? That way, I wouldn't have to think about all this.}

{They're not immune to this kind of concern, you know?} Ayaka asked.

{Eh? Really? Those people?} Nagamine stared at her disbelievingly.

{Really. Some of the more… acclimatised ones have told me.} Ayaka thought of what Yorktown had admitted to.

{That's strange,} Nagamine said. {I thought the ideal of the ship is to be an unquestioning cog in the naval machine. Not to pick up… human foibles.}

{You would think?} Ayaka shook her head. {I won't claim that I know the will of the kamisamatachi, and they have never pretended to be omniscient, but I would like to think that to be informed by and develop humanity is a feature, not a bug. Why else not leave us as combat savants like the abyssals, tactically astute but incapable of thinking about the future? Why else have the milk of man be the best means of recruiting, the intake of a portion of and joining with their souls be a means of developing sidelinks?}

Nagamine made a face but did not protest aloud.

{Give yourself another chance, Nagamine-san. Go to your No-kun and try again. If he was willing to hold out for you for so long, he might yet be able to understand and accept you. Don't say it's over till it's over, not when from a certain point of view it hasn't even begun.}

{I don't know about that.} Nagamine silently spun the phone in her hand. {I am Naganami,} this latest sentence was said in the Kansai-ben of her first life's origin, before going back to the Kantō-style delivery, {and yet I am not? Am more?} She flexed an arm and watched as the boxy, mecha-style bracer formed over it before receding. {My class was not some major breakthrough, and Tanaka-shōshō was no radical heterodox, so whatever my rigging is supposed to be must come from… whatever inspired my dreams? Which is… what and where?}

{I don't know, much as I wish I could help you,} Ayaka said regretfully. {My way forward was known to me since young, even though I spent a lot of time trying to defy it. Your paradigm is also very different from mine.}

Nagamine grumbled. {I wish there was an easy answer to this.}

Ayaka made a sound that didn't quite rise to the level of a laugh. {If you could invent one, I'm sure millions would be happy to buy from you.}

{Still… Shirokaze-sensei, do you think you would have been just sent back out if you hadn't recovered yourself? The… 'you' was combat-ready, wasn't it?}

Now wasn't that an interesting question. {I didn't ask. Didn't think of it. Probably didn't want to. I'd like to think not… but I'm not sure.}

{I guess it's different since you were already known to be a Natural Born when it happened. Unlike me.} Nagamine sighed. {Unlike me, you gave everything.}

{I really didn't,} Ayaka said, shaking her head. {I didn't take the final step despite my best efforts. If I had, Yamashiro would still be afloat, not me.}

{You still gave everything short of it, and nearly died doing so. I didn't even go that far. Northampton was right.}

Ayaka jerked in her seat at the admission and noticed the hardening expression on Nagamine's face. The eyes were starting to light dangerously.

{I've been playing human all this while.} Nagamine clenched her right hand into a fist and a holographic wireframe of a bracer sprang into existence around her forearm even as she bared teeth with determination. It was noticeably sleeker and different from what she had been previously using. {I won't make that mistake next time.}

===[===]===​

===[===]===

CHAPTER 43

===[===]===

Flashback: 14 December 2024

===[===]===​

"Task Force VALKYRIE Command Council, all present and accounted for, Sir."
"Thank you, Paul," Adams said as he regarded the giant multi-panel display before him. As with the previous times, it showed all the commanding admirals of the shipgirl programmes and their respective chiefs of staff of the nations in the task force. "Ladies, gentlemen, thank you for making the time. Hippolyta sends her apologies for having to be absent again."

Sympathetic nods and other gestures of acknowledgement followed. No one envied Nagara for having to run interference and burn under the hostile inquisition of the result-hungry, failure-intolerant politicians and top brass.

There were more than a few haggard, darker-eyebagged-than-usual faces in the crowd, despite hasty imbibing of coffee or other stimulant. The conference had been thrown together at the first available instance after the previous day's debacle. Despite the frantic best efforts of the analysts, the timeframe was far too short for anyone to have much more than hurriedly thrown together first-pass reports barely removed from raw data and logs.

{Battlestar Galactica Original Soundtrack - Adama in the Memorial Hallway}

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrV7GnI6pC0

"Kaishō Kamiki, we're sorry about Yamashiro," Wen said, offering a solemn deep nod. "Shao Jiang Shao knows no restitution can suffice, but he still wishes to offer a thousand apologies for dallying instead of acting sooner."

Kamiki and his subordinate returned their Chinese counterpart's gesture wearily and wordlessly. There was no energy to take offence even had any of them wanted to. As bad as he was having it, that was nothing compared to what was on Minami's plate. Everyone present understood that, Summoned/Manifested ability to bounce back faster than most normals notwithstanding, she once again in barely two weeks had a grieving flock to shepherd anew.

"How is he?" Zeleska asked.

"'Catching Hell', I believe the saying is, from the CMC about the override. However, Shao Jiang Shi was, after we got through his initial reluctance, very grateful for a reason to be let off the leash, and is standing alongside him. All is not lost." Wen made an attempt at a reassuring smile. What came out instead was a rictus of death.

Zeleska now turned to Adams. "Husk, how is Lieutenant Commander Greer?"

"From the last message I received, she's still on the operating table," Adams said. His frown intensified. "We have the best working on her, Maria, but the prognosis is still up in the air."

"What do you mean?" The burn-scarred Russian asked, frowning back.

"You are aware of the aggravating effects exhibited by known Jötnar equivalents to and means of recreating the functionality of… fairy-forged weapons, such as the 'thaumium' Northampton attested to?"

Tons grimaced. The intense geological damage to Cherbourg caused by Nevada and Pennsylvania, barely days old, was still very much fresh on her mind. Kamiki sank further into his seat at the unintentional reminder of Second Tassafaronga and Takanami.

"The bombs used by the Exarch's planes have demonstrated the same ability to… exert a hostile reality and therefore ignore, nullify or weaken Enlightened effects, including healing and repair." The jargon still didn't quite sit well with Adams, even two years in. "The surgical team has discovered that this applies both to applications in the field and those in a proper facility. The exact mechanics and any relation to primium's disruption of Infrastructure remain presently unknown, but what is certain is that the majority of the operation is being conducted conservatively and with mundane methods not because of desire or laziness or cost-saving, but because we have no choice." Adams fought off the urge to further facially express his frustration, but his hands twitched nevertheless.

"There's something else, isn't there, Jeff?" van Doorn asked.

There was no immediate response but for a slight shift on Adams's face.

"Husk?"

Adams allowed himself to sigh and look more like an old man fearing for the life of a loved one than a flag officer who was a lynchpin of humanity's defence against genocidal invasion. "Yes, there was more in the message. The team is doing its best in spite, it seems, of the commander's apparent efforts otherwise."

"Like... she feels she doesn't deserve to live after her fatal failure?" van Doorn asked grimly.

Adams nodded. "The situation appears as such."

"Survivor's guilt, we all know, oui?" Tons asked heavily and rhetorically.

There was a momentary quiet immediately after the Frenchwoman spoke, followed by a flurry of acknowledgement and commiserating gestures and sounds. Everyone present had lost peers and subordinates, most even before the abyssals had kicked off this war. Even if they had been all cleared as psychologically fit for service, none of them had been left wholly unscathed by the experiences. Tons had gotten it particularly bad; while she hadn't achieved flag rank yet during the Terror, she had been close enough to those circles. Her nation being one of the leaders in its Ending meant that while no assassin had personally sought her head, she had known many who had died and been died for.

That notwithstanding, what was it about the loss of a shipgirl, no matter how many links down the chain of command, that hurt emotionally like no normal soldier's death did?

Then the moment passed and all present put their game faces back on. "Right. Ladies and gentlemen, we have many things to discuss and not much time," Adams said. "I know we have a laundry list of demands and questions in light of yesterday's events: How we messed up so badly, the sheer scale and breadth of the effects our Exarch must have been throwing around, the deficiencies in our Shockwave Code authorisation... the list is neverending. First, though, let's get onto the main reason we're here. Last chance to check we're secure."

There was a flurry of activity, and one by one each delegation gave the all-clear.

"Good. Have you all had a chance to look through the agenda?"

There was a chorus of affirmatives.

"We're all aware of what we learned from yesterday about our foe, assuming that what we got from…" Adams's tongue caught briefly on the terms, "Yamashiro's Overclock-powered hypercram is indeed true."

There was a brief hubbub of low-intensity murmuring at this. The sudden headache had cleared up as quickly as it had come, leaving no aftershocks like a normal migraine might have, but it had been a cripplingly intense experience. Some of them had been awoken from sleep, however fraught, by the agony. The information they had found themselves in possession of afterwards, which they were strangely incapable of talking about in the presence of those who had apparently been deemed untrustworthy, had only helped deprive the small-S sleepers of the desire to return to slumber.

"It is true that the countermeasures that hid the Exarch from hyperstat modelling and other direct observation have yet to be cracked any other way, and as with any other intelligence, it remains to be verified. Whether it can even be independently corroborated remains to be seen. That said, using the information from the hypercram and other clues left by abyssal activity, our cleared analysts, conventional and Enlightened alike, are otherwise in agreement."

"The clues were there right in front of us, and we couldn't or didn't want to piece them together… Task Force Two. Halsey's command at First Pearl. My God," Smith said. As always, he minced no words. "We knew the abyssals had a particular hatred for Japan and the US. This explains so much. Too much. If we had some dedicated, unified information and analysis branch, perhaps we might have caught it earlier."

Zeleska shot him a look that, tempered by mutual respect, fell short of condescending. Her reply was nevertheless filled with cynicism born of experience. "You think too highly of us if you don't think the Exarch won't also hoodwink that the way she did all our previous effort. Granted, it is fortuitous that abyssal movements show no known sign of being informed by cross-dimensional espionage, the so-called 'scrying'; perhaps they need local assets to serve as relays. That being said, there is so much where our mundane best still falls short of Enlightened procedure. Just this protection against accidental direct leak of the identity alone, twisted in the hands of an enemy, could do great damage. How do you know, either, that this new order would not just be ivory tower academicians with a head full of theory but no practical experience?"

The retort prompted dark but not unkind, stifled snorts from the rest.

"We can't just continue on having done nothing!" Smith shouted back, allowing some of his frustration and helplessness to leak out in this secured space where none of his peers would condemn or despise him for it. Britain had not been hit by a Jötunn yet, but no one was under the illusion that any of their nations would be spared.

Zeleska held his gaze unblinkingly for a few moments. With an eventual conciliatory nod, she went on to say, "Now is not the time to regret, though. What do we do with this?"

"We can't let this get out any old how. Protection against direct leak is one thing, but can you imagine the fallout if some ultranationalist or well-intentioned fool got wind or pieced things together and started airing it in public?" van Doorn said. "Even without factoring in the increasing presence of influencing hyperpsych and other cognitohazards in abyssal pamphlets recently and how that might affect the inadequately inoculated, the last thing we need is some indiscreet junior officer or scoop getting word out of context and putting it out there."

The Japanese delegation winced. After all, they knew a thing or two about junior men doing their own self-righteous thing to the detriment of all involved.

"A problem we face too," Adams said, somehow turning even more grim than usual. "You've brought up the cognitohazard risk; the repercussions if my countrymen decide the Exarch is right and turn against the rest of us in her name scarce bear thinking about, to say nothing about her XOs."

Wherever they had been before the Abyssal War started, none of the senior officers present were idiots. Even if they hadn't had specific knowledge about World War II naval history previously, they now knew too well the nigh-sacred regard certain quarters held for the Arizona. She was the most famous of the fallen at the place that America had rallied around, that which had broken the resolve to not intervene. She was a stupendous star even against the shining sea of sorrow, story and symbolism that had shaped shipgirls. Whatever nationbuilding had been done in the century and change before, First Pearl had been the spark that had started the fire, made America grow into a superpower rather than remain just another contender. There was a compelling power to Arizona Vult even before considering any explicit magic that Enterprise and co might work through that Name.

"A day may come when we can admit to our children or their children that America's greatest warships and heroines have become traitors to surpass Benedict Arnold, but today is not that day." Adams directed his gaze to Wen. "You told me previously that CSTE had something in mind about… Infrastructural lockdown to counteract waveform extraction, Captain Wen?"

"Yes—"

"Husk, wait one," Kamiki suddenly said.

"Masaki?" Adams could not entirely suppress the looking askance at the alien strength now present in Kamiki's expression and voice.

"If it's really Task Force Two back to finish Halsey's fight, I fear I know what we need to do… but there will be many of my countrymen who will not like it." He chuckled bitterly. "Apologies for my interruption---"

"You… want to spell that out for the slower ones among us, Prosperity?" Smith asked, too bewildered and concerned to wait his turn. "Surely not the Archangel buggers—" Paling in sudden realisation, he added, "You don't mean RAGNAROK or a Fenrir, do you?"

"Not RAGNAROK." Kamiki paused, then added, "Not directly." He proceeded to explain, and some of the admirals' eyes widened in surprise and horror as they belatedly realised what they had failed to put together. Others frowned with grim acceptance and resignation.

"No apologies needed, Kaishō Kamiki," Wen said. He had been one of those to find the proposal grim, and while it would have been well within his right as a son of China to get schadenfreude out of it, he knew all too well what was at stake to express anything other than thoughtful understanding. "I have had such thoughts, especially in light of knowing our mutual foes' motivation, but thank you for helping me give voice to what I had been reluctant to embarrass you and yours by doing. I know it must have been incredibly painful to do so. Now…"

Last edited:
Guv'nor, you need to spell out to us what exactly you're not getting, else we won't know what we should be trying to make clearer and more obvious. We're not mind readers. We don't know what you're missing. :(

For the rest of us, in an attempt to get (more) discussion going, MAEt and I would like to formally invite you all to look at what has been said, in dialogue and narration and reaction, and speculate on what Admiral Kamiki intends.

"You… want to spell that out for the slower ones among us, Prosperity?" Smith asked, too bewildered and concerned to wait his turn. "Surely not the Archangel buggers—" Paling in sudden realisation, he added, "You don't mean RAGNAROK or a Fenrir, do you?"

"Not RAGNAROK." Kamiki paused, then added, "Not directly." He proceeded to explain, and some of the admirals' eyes widened in surprise and horror as they belatedly realised what they had failed to put together. Others frowned with grim acceptance and resignation.

"No apologies needed, Kaishō Kamiki," Wen said. He had been one of those to find the proposal grim, and while it would have been well within his right as a son of China to get schadenfreude out of it, he knew all too well what was at stake to express anything other than thoughtful understanding. "I have had such thoughts, especially in light of knowing our mutual foes' motivation, but thank you for helping me give voice to what I had been reluctant to embarrass you and yours by doing. I know it must have been incredibly painful to do so. Now…"

what is this about?

It's in response to the lines that are immediately before the portion you quoted.

Huh. In the first pass, MAEt and I ended the part right there with Kamiki's line, then decided that it might be too confusing and added the quoted portion to try to make it more understandable. Guess that didn't help. Ironic.

Clues for Chapter 43
That said, you are right in that the not mentioning what Kamiki said is intended to create a mystery that will be revealed in due time. Still, one should be able to guess if the clues are put together.

For those of us who can't or don't want to do so manually, in this spoiler here are the clues you all had been intended to pick up on:
  • What is the significance of Task Force Two and Halsey? (This is mentioned earlier in the part.)
  • What needs to be done that many of Kamiki's countrymen will not like? Why will they not like it?
  • RAGNAROK is a codeword used in one of the works that lends a lot of terminology to KnNI. What is that work? What does it mean within the context of the original work? What might that mean when transplanted to the current context?
  • What is Kamiki intending that would evoke surprise, horror, grim acceptance and resignation? Why?
  • What is Kamiki intending that a Chinese national would find schadenfreude in?
  • What and which of the abyssals' motivations might be relevant? How?
  • Why would what Kamiki intends to do be embarrassing and painful?

Now... think.

Very portentous, looking forward to the next part of this. Finally being able to read into the reaction after the fight is very informative. (Glad to finally be able to read this after a week of effectively 18 hour work days.)

Any French among the readers can advise on how you do things?

Have no idea which of these tracks fits the mood we're aiming for. Any preference?

===[===]===

A few days later

===[===]===​
{Down with Japan!} The sign said in French. Its Parisian holder was far from the only one holding such a sign.

{Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Original Soundtrack - Collective Consciousness}

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dPaVk4G1jg
{Cyberpunk 2077 Original Soundtrack - There's Gonna Be A Parade!}

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf5QW5DMR9c

{Cyberpunk 2077 Original Soundtrack - Been Good To Know Ya}

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihdo3vPFK9Y

On the Champ-Elysees and the Place du Châtelet, rapidly-growing crowds gathered once more like they had in years past. Heedless of the winter chill cutting through their coats, the thousands were well-equipped with banners, megaphones, placards and signs. Their cause was rather different this time, though.

No everyday causes were they fighting for today. It was for what had happened at Cherbourg that they were protesting about. Pennsylvania had not sunk any of the shipgirls, but the destruction down to the bedrock and seabed of the base had been thorough and indiscriminate. A 14in shell still turned human bodies into chunky salsa by mundane effects alone even if its Enlightened payload was optimised to shatter Matter rather than end Life. A few fast and lucky souls near the base borders had managed to escape in time, but the slaughter of the humans was otherwise total. The escapees, overcome by terror, had lacked the presence of mind to keep their mouths shut, and the content of their babbling and ranting had been quickly confirmed by gawkers armed with long-focus lenses and camera-mounting drones. By the time the French government, reeling from the defeat, had managed to set up a sufficiently large cordon, photos and videos of the reshaped coastline had already gone viral beyond reasonable hope of containment.

The protests had started small and local. That had not lasted. The abyssal dropping of propaganda pamphlets had never stopped, the carrying planes too small for still-crude Or Energy sensors to reliably detect. Their seductive messages found fertile ground in the distressed, outraged minds of the French.

{What are we fighting for?!} A second sign asked.

{Remember the prisoners of the Citadel of Hanoi!} A third protester shouted.

{We owe Japan nothing!}

An old woman held up a photo of a younger man in uniform. {Give me back my Marcel!}

{How many more must die like my Julie did?!} Another woman also with a photo, this of what was clearly her daughter, shouted.

The atmosphere was getting heated both figuratively and literally. Heedless of the winter chill, the officers of the Gendarmerie mobile on site in their riot gear were starting to sweat.

{No more dying in Japan's wars!}

{No more French blood for Japan!}

{No more of us must die!}

{If we help fight Japan, we'll be spared!}

{Force de dissuasion do the right thing!}

Who cast the first stone would be lost in the chaos that followed. Cast it was, however.

There was a yawning chasm of a pregnant pause after the rock rang loudly against a helmet and clattered to the ground.

The officer staggered back from the impact. More projectiles flew. The blob advanced even as the officers tried to stand their ground. Some rushed for the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré, seeking its most eminent occupant. The fight was on.

This was the first riot.

It would not be the last.

Even as protests turned into riots, the abyssals started employing less conventional means of attack.

Last edited:
Back