Eye!Alice seems to have enough power for a halo. Is this the first time we've seen her with one?

Hussie can actually do amazing art, Homestuck was drawn as it was for shits and giggles. Occasionally, you could see the actual talent of Hussie in Homestuck, when he was doing special updates. The guy has multiple patents in digital colour coding.

Besides, people on Homestuck forums would have been also quite used to Homestuck fanart, which also quite often tended to be pretty great. Ironic art styles notwithstanding of course.

"Drawn like shit for kicks." and "Drawn like shit because I can't draw." look shockingly similar to my plebian eyes.

Eye!Alice seems to have enough power for a halo. Is this the first time we've seen her with one?

Its partially formed beforehand, like when she was on the ship and going apeshit on Cio for not wanting to break into Mammon's vault. Its also sorta formed previously when she's used her Incubus power in the Pit, but this the furthest its gone.

Its not complete, though (the complete ones usually have some sort of personalization), and it looks it doesn't matter, because all that power means shit if Incubus has admin privileges to Allison's mind.

Also, alt dialogues on the last 2 pages

F E E D M E A S T R A Y C A T

Oscar's tailor gets a lot of work.

Last edited:
"Drawn like shit for kicks." and "Drawn like shit because I can't draw." look shockingly similar to my plebian eyes.

A key difference is though they both look 'low quality' at a glance, they aren't equally good at conveying information, especially when they have to do so in a variety situations.

As a stylistic choice, you can tell what people are who, what the action is, and so on. MSPA can convey a lot of information on a page in it's simplicity and you'll have no problem telling what emotions are being convey, a variety of actions, etc.. And ideally the simplicity can even help that out.

The best stick figure artists (Order of the Stick, Xkcd) are similarly quite artistically talented in a way that many who do 'better' art aren't, and it comes across in the story telling. You won't see it, but reading through, you'll feel it in what you absorb.

A key difference is though they both look 'low quality' at a glance, they aren't equally good at conveying information, especially when they have to do so in a variety situations.

As a stylistic choice, you can tell what people are who, what the action is, and so on. MSPA can convey a lot of information on a page in it's simplicity and you'll have no problem telling what emotions are being convey, a variety of actions, etc.. And ideally the simplicity can even help that out.

The best stick figure artists (Order of the Stick, Xkcd) are similarly quite artistically talented in a way that many who do 'better' art aren't, and it comes across in the story telling. You won't see it, but reading through, you'll feel it in what you absorb.

Mmmm. Nope. Shit is shit. OotS and XKCD also look terrible.

Here's the difference, the latter is a lack of talent, the former is "This isn't even my final form" in art form.

Why would you not always be using your final form? Why would you deliberately do worse than you can just for the sake of amusement? This concept has always baffled me.

Mmmm. Nope. Shit is shit. OotS and XKCD also look terrible.

There's a lot of technical differences, even if you don't care about them. Simple isn't the same as bad in the low-skill sense, it's a choice, if one that doesn't appeal to you.

This xkcd takes skill, as does this, and this. And OotS? This dinosaur fight by a ring of fire with hundreds of soldiers around sure isn't easy

Composition is skill, and a tough one.

Heck, I know some very technically demanding art styles that do nooooothing for me, make characters come across as flat, and give me little sense of motion. Or in other cases, do those things but.. I just don't like 'em.

Last edited:
There's a lot of technical differences, even if you don't care about them. Simple isn't the same as bad in the low-skill sense, it's a choice, if one that doesn't appeal to you.

This xkcd takes skill, as does this. And OotS? This dinosaur fight by a ring of fire with hundreds of soldiers around sure isn't easy

Composition is skill, and a tough one.

Heck, I know some very technically demanding art styles that do nooooothing for me, make characters come across as flat, and give me little sense of motion. Or in other cases, do those things but.. I just don't like 'em.

Uh. Yeah. Okay. They can do complicated and difficult things. But they don't. And if you don't, it doesn't matter if you can. Occasionally doing rare singular examples of good art just to prove you can't is nothing more than jerking off for your audience.

Also no, that OotS strip still looks like garbage.

The question of why any sane individual could care about the artistic opinion of Fell of all people arises.

The question of why any sane individual could care about the artistic opinion of Fell of all people arises.

They shouldn't. Doesn't mean I don't get to have that opinion, nor that I don't get to express it.

Why the fuck should I care about the artistic opinion of Q99 or Salty? Why is Fell uniquely unqualified to give opinions?

Uh. Yeah. Okay. They can do complicated and difficult things. But they don't. And if you don't, it doesn't matter if you can. Occasionally doing rare singular examples of good art just to prove you can't is nothing more than jerking off for your audience.

Also no, that OotS strip still looks like garbage.

It really isn't. And note the third xkcd is still stick-figure, and the OotS does something that would break many artists in a more complex style (I mean, KSBD's artist could, but very few others) and as a result, it can do that sort of strip at a regular pace.

Here's a post of the OotS artist's other more detailed art. Does that look good individually? Sure. Would it be up to 'two T-rexes fight around a fire with hundreds of soldiers'? Hah. It'd be a cluttered mess and it'd be hard to make out everyone at a glance at that level of busyness.

Doing simpler stuff when you can do complex is not 'jerking off to the audience,' it's showing that the artist things simplier is the best way to convey what they're doing- whether it for clarity, complexity of scene vs complexity of elements, or so on.

You're really projecting your preference onto a heck of a lot.

They shouldn't. Doesn't mean I don't get to have that opinion, nor that I don't get to express it.

Why the fuck should I care about the artistic opinion of Q99 or Salty? Why is Fell uniquely unqualified to give opinions?

Well, I am trying to explain what goes into art and why in order to increase the knowledge of the subjects, and I'm not trying to make you try and like these styles more, but educate on why others would and that work and skill goes into them too. Art isn't a simple spectrum of good vs bad, but has more dimensions with different skills, and people can prefer aspects of various dimensions.

Last edited:
It really isn't. And note the third xkcd is still stick-figure, and the OotS does something that would break many artists in a more complex style (I mean, KSBD's artist could, but very few others) and as a result, it can do that sort of strip at a regular pace.

Here's a post of the OotS artist's other more detailed art. Does that look good individually? Sure. Would it be up to 'two T-rexes fight around a fire with hundreds of soldiers'? Hah. It'd be a cluttered mess and it'd be hard to make out everyone at a glance at that level of busyness.

Doing simpler stuff when you can do complex is not 'jerking off to the audience,' it's showing that the artist things simplier is the best way to convey what they're doing- whether it for clarity, complexity of scene vs complexity of elements, or so on.

You're really projecting your preference onto a heck of a lot.

Uhh. Yeah? Art is subjective. I -subjectively- really dislike bad art.

I should say, I don't actually dislike XKCD or OotS for what they do, the part I dislike is this idea that because they're drawing it that way on purpose that it somehow automatically disqualifies it from being bad. It doesn't. It's not good art.

And even within the deliberately simple styles? Homestuck looks like shit. It's not JUST simple, it's ugly. You can say it's deliberately ugly, but that doesn't mean it's not ugly.

(Oh and the OotS artist's more detailed drawings are also bad. He added more details but the details are ugly.)

Well, I am trying to explain what goes into art and why in order to increase the knowledge of the subjects, and I'm not trying to make you try and like these styles more, but educate on why others would and that work and skill goes into them too. Art isn't a simple spectrum of good vs bad, but has more dimensions with different skills, and people can prefer aspects of various dimensions.

Right, and I prefer the dimensions that are good.

Like, you do understand that even if there's more than one axis on this graph than the X axis of good to bad... that axis still exists, and no matter what style you draw in, it can still look good, or like shit. And Homestuck looks like shit.

Last edited:
Ok.

To move things back to KSBD, ironically I hesitated to get into it at first because it does have an ugly art style in places- deliberate, stylistically ugly. The first couple pages didn't make Allison look good, or Zaid look good. There's often a sort of lumpiness.

It's fantastic art, but does occasionally aim to be ugly

Ok.

To move things back to KSBD, ironically I hesitated to get into it at first because it does have an ugly art style in places- deliberate, stylistically ugly. The first couple pages didn't make Allison look good, or Zaid look good. There's often a sort of lumpiness.

It's fantastic art, but does occasionally aim to be ugly
I would say that it aims to be ugly a lot of the time. A lot of the characters on display tend to be rather viscerally unpleasant-looking, and even the ones supposed to look good come across as rather plain at times. A lot of the beauty comes from big architectural/cityscape artwork.

Or I could just be talking out of my ass. Abbadon's art is wonky. Good, just... unusual at times.

Oh dear. Oh deary deary dear.

Also shows you why it's good to let a Red Devil manhandle the sacrifices.
Okay, THAT is something I didn't see coming.
Looks like Incubus wants to teach Allison a lesson (the world is shit, people aren't worth it blablabla), first one being why making bargains with superpowerful weirdos and alienating your allies is a bad idea.
There's one for Felicia too, aside "don't associate with a bunch of devils you morron", and it's "like for zombies, aim for the face of the devil".
So unless Allison unleashes her inner Zoss and break Incubus' admin privileges because WANT, I guess we can say goodbye to Felicia.

Guess Abaddon was right when he said that soon he'll draw much less characters.

Last edited:
Okay, THAT is something I didn't see coming.
Looks like Incubus wants to teach Allison a lesson (the world is shit, people aren't worth it blablabla), first one being why making bargains with superpowerful weirdos and alienating your allies is a bad idea.
So unless Allison unleashes her inner Zoss and break Incubus' admin privileges because WANT, I guess we can say goodbyebto Felicia.

Guess Abaddon was right when he said that soon he'll draw much less characters.

Its probably the latter. Abbadon said on his twitter that we would soon find out that Oscar's one of the scariest beings around, and while what he's doing now is pretty neat, I don't think that's all he has to show.

Seeing the Blade of Want again would be cool though.

Back