Incense and Powdered Diamond

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Taylor Hebert spends nine days and nine nights unconscious after losing an eye in the locker, straddling the line between life and death. Then, she receives a legacy which forcibly derails the path of Earth Bet. Work title from the material component of Glyph of Warding in 5e. Now with extra Nazis to beat up!
Last edited:
Gazing into the Well
Pronouns
She/They
Old One-Eye chooses his heir.
-----​
Content Warning: description of grievous injury. This locker event is much worse than in canon.

This fic is inspired by a couple of the omakes in Billymorph's Implacable on SB, but the one most relevant is Nine Days and Nine Nights On Yggdrasil, which I wrote, and which I also copied a decent chunk from.

I'm not gonna promise weekly updates like I did with A Hummingbird Feather, because I was getting pretty close to burning out on that fic near the end, but I will promise that this fic will be finished properly, by hook or by crook.

-----​
For most people, claiming to hate Mondays was just an expression of a minor distaste, since it ended the freedom of the weekend. As much as they griped and groaned, they welcomed the coming of Monday for the structure it brought, be it through work, school, or something else.

Not Taylor Hebert.

She truly detested Mondays with every fiber of her being, and for good reason. This reason was because of the presence of the Trio, a group that had formed around her ex-best friend that had devoted what seemed to be its level best effort to making her miserable, at her school. Since Emma was one of the most popular students, and Sophia one of the most intimidating, it wasn't exactly surprising that Taylor had no friends at school, and given the rumors that they had spread had made the jump to even the teachers, she wasn't going to take the risk and reach out for someone beyond the school.

She was mostly able to avoid them on weekends, since they didn't have the gall to come to her home (yet, a small voice inside of her said), but Mondays indicated the beginning of five days of their torments, both petty and not.

So it was with a heavy heart that Taylor Hebert returned to Winslow High School on January 3, 2011, mourning the end of her desperately needed break from the Trio.

So preoccupied was she with this lament that she failed to notice the fact that the attention of what seemed like the entire school was upon her until she had already walked for two minutes towards her locker. At that point, she knew something was wrong, but she expected (incorrectly so) that it was just that the Trio were planning to confront her there.

As she approached, the stench emanating from her locker swiftly disabused her of that notion.

As if in a trance, she walked forward and opened the locker, allowing a gush of reddish-black things to fall out, revealing more red covering almost every single surface in the locker, including her schoolbooks, with squirming forms dotted here and there.

Well then, she thought, curiously detached, I'll be needing new school books again.

Before she could do anything else, she felt strong hands on her head and back that then shoved her forward.

She screamed out, and the hand on her back vanished, which only intensified when one of the broken pencils (that wasn't that way last month, said a quiet part of her mind) ended up embedded in her side, thankfully relatively clear of the red stuff in the locker before the dark-skinned hand clutching it rammed it into her and released it.

It was a small mercy that Taylor managed to close her eyes, that way she didn't see the nail that her eye was smashed into to gruesome effect.

The last thing she heard before her consciousness faded completely was her locker door slamming.
-----​
"Taylor Hebert."

Her head snapped up. Had she finally broken, after so long?

"No, lass. Your mind stands strong yet," replied that same voice, a firm, fatherly tone balancing out what sounded like a Scots brogue coloring the words.

Taylor turned her head, looking for the source of the voice and the sudden warm light in the room.

"Who are you?" she asked hoarsely, voice weak from lack of use.

The man she saw, a gray-bearded man old enough to be her grandfather and with an eyepatch mirroring her lost eye, smiled kindly at her, radiating a warm golden glow. "I am a man of many names. I have gone by Bölverk, Fjölnir, Ganglari, Jörmunr, Vadderung, and many more besides, but the name you're most likely to know me by is Odin One-Eye."

Taylor's remaining eye widened. "What?"

The gray-bearded man chuckled. "Yes, the Odin of the Nords. Worry not, child. Now is not your time to die, for if it was you'd be seeing one of the Valkyrjur and not myself. No, this is... well. If you'll indulge an old man to tell you a story from his youth, I think that would help you understand the situation greatly."

"Uh... sure?" Taylor had no way to know what was happening, but indulging powerful parahumans was always a good thing to do.

"In that case, allow me to tell you the tale of how I learned the runes." The old man's eye went distant. "I was watching the Norns work their powers, one day, and I realized that, if I could use the runecraft that they could. I would be better able to serve my people. So, I asked what I would need to do in order to earn the runes, and they told me thusly:

"A price must all pay for the runes' wisdom
From Yggdrasil shall ye sway no others nearby
In blood are all runes forged and your own ye must provide,
Then will your mind have surged and the world ye shall ken.
"​

Odin smiled. "Seven days it took me to puzzle out what they meant by that. Once I learned, I hanged myself from Yggdrasil, implaled upon Gungnir to pay the price of blood-" he gestured to her left eye, which was the one the nail had torn into, and her side, where she felt the pencil's wound as a dull throb. "-and gazed into the depths of the Well of Urdr. Nine days and nine nights did I remain there, as long as you've been on the cusp of life and death," said the venerable warrior, "and as the tenth day dawned, the runes judged me worthy, and the spirit of the last Runekeeper appeared to me. Old Mimir gave me his knowledge, his powers, and I returned to Asgard a better king."

"So..." Taylor frowned. "Am I to be your successor?"

Odin nodded. "Aye, lass. You've paid your price, you've earned the runes, with the help of your Administrator friend. My time has passed, passed long before the Warrior from beyond the stars came. I, of all people, did not need to survive Ragnarök, and yet here I am. It's high time someone younger became the Runekeeper."

"So... what happens now?" asked Taylor, playing along.

"Oh, simple, lass. You awaken with the knowledge of the runes and the realms, and my spirit to whisper wisdom in your ear as Old Mimir did to me. You, now, shall become Rúnatyr." Odin raised his hand. "Are you ready?"

"And... and then what?"

"And then... well, it's your choice. Once you are the Runekeeper, the power is yours to use. I am just an advisor."

Taylor thought for a moment. "I... I want to be a hero, but if everyone is like the Trio…"

Odin hesitated for a moment, then wrapped the trembling girl in a hug. "Not all people are the same, as they are, lass. Your Midgard... well, the runes can make it better, if you so choose."

Taylor took in a deep breath, then nodded. "Alright. I'll do it."

Odin smiled, then patted her shoulder. "You have a warrior's spirit, lass. With it, we can reforge this tarnished world yet."

He moved his hand to her head, and her vision went gold. "I, Odin Rúnatyr, hereby designate Taylor Hebert as my successor, and the first of the New Gods. Let her legends be glorious and her actions be just!"

In one glorious, headache-inducing flash of golden light, Taylor's mind expanded. More than that, she understood, now, the way the world came together, and how to press on the seams to alter it ever so slightly (or more than slightly), and what the Administrator he was talking about was, and more. Oh, so much more.
-----​
"Heya, Panacea!" chirped Vista, taking an eye-searing step from the pavement to the roof of the hospital. "How's it going?"

"About the same as it was the last time you came to visit me, squirt." Panacea used the hand not holding her cigarette to ruffle the kid's hair, causing the pint-sized Shaker to pout up at her.

Somehow, the two had managed to forge a connection that grew into a friendship over time. The shorter girl had decided that Panacea was going to be her friend, and refused to accept any other alternative, and eventually Amy had faced the choice to force Vista away or just accept the status quo. Wisely, she chose the latter.

"Any interesting cases?"

"Since you dropped by last?" Amy frowned, thinking. "I think there was one a week ago… yeah, some girl with all kinds of toxic shock and a pencil phased into her side. Looked like Shadow Stalker's work, to be honest. Poor girl's still in a coma, no one knows if she can come out, and I couldn't save the eye, or grow a new one. I've never been able to do eyes, not in a way that would let it work, unless I saw the eye in question before, which I haven't."

"Wait…" Vista frowned. "That can't be right. If it was Shadow Stalker, she'd be catching all kinds of heat over it, since she's Probationary, but that hasn't happened."

Amy snorted. "Yeah, right, like Piggot would let any one of the parahumans at her disposal go."

"She's not like that! Sure, she's a hardass, but she's doing what's best for her command!" Vista shot back.

"Her troopers, sure. But us parahumans?" Amy's finger oscillated between pointing at herself and Vista a few times. "No way. We're just tools for her, tools for her to use against the gangs."

"That can't be true!"

"Believe it or not, kiddo, it is. One of these days, I'll tell you the story of how she almost press-ganged Glory Girl over some Nazi gangbanger that Stalker shoved off a building before Brandish came down on her like a ton of hammers." Amy shook her head, smiling gently. "Nah, it's exactly true. She'd bury all kinds of shit, and she has, to keep you kids under her thumb."

"That's not true, and I'll prove it! I'll get you the files to show that it wasn't Shadow Stalker!" shouted Vista, striking what she probably thought was a dramatic pose.

Amy snorted. "Good luck with that, kiddo." She took one last drag on her cigarette, then dropped it and crushed it under her shoe. "See you around."

After Amy became Panacea again and returned to the hospital, Vista harrumphed. "She's wrong! I just know she is, and I'll prove It!"

And with that, she stepped off the hospital roof, unknowingly starting on a path that would end with the destruction of many a career at the PRT and Protectorate ENE.
-----​
High above the atmosphere, the Simurgh shifted.

The futures she could see were… changing. Her previous gambit, the one that would result in the entity that would be called Khepri… wasn't viable, not anymore.

Something new had appeared in the world. Something that she hadn't taken into account like she could the directives from Repository that controlled her and the rest of the superweapons, she couldn't take into account, since it originally resided in a different world, one that the Shard Network couldn't see into.

That something came down and connected to Administrator's host, just before she woke, and now… she was not drawing power from Administrator anymore, she was a power well of her own, far deeper than any the Entities had ever encountered before, possibly infinite.

The Simurgh, unsuspectingly, turned to face where Odin One-Eye's legacy had become realized, all these centuries after Ragnarök, and smiled. Perhaps this new change could be used to make the path to ending the Warrior's broken cycle more efficient after all.

The Hopekiller, sidestepping the directives that Repository's host left her to remain isolated between attacks, began to make changes.

She could be forgiven for missing the minor pulse of the power around Administrator's host. After all, it's not often that the target of a spell meant to subtly alter their perceptions was able to notice the spell so soon, especially when they are so used to relying on the sense and being able to sidestep any limitations or obstacles that would obstruct the sense.

The spirit of Odin One-Eye allowed himself a moment of satisfaction before returning his focus to his successor. She was about to wake, after all.
-----​
And that's that!

Like I said, I'm cribbing from the stuff I wrote in the Implacable thread, and most (but not all) of the second scene is copy/paste from there.

That's it for now, so read, review, enjoy, and have a nice day!

Interesting start! :) A little odd about Amy's comment about the would being of a similar MO to SS and then them thinking that it actually was caused by SS, rather than just an odd curiosity. It's a very large leap in logic that seems rather unsupported. Neat to see Amy and Missy being friends though.

Interesting start! :) A little odd about Amy's comment about the would being of a similar MO to SS and then them thinking that it actually was caused by SS, rather than just an odd curiosity. It's a very large leap in logic that seems rather unsupported. Neat to see Amy and Missy being friends though.
She probable healed victims of Shadowstalkers bolts before and knows how that wounds look

Interesting start looking forward to seeing how it goes. I do love me a good Norse fanfiction. Though it would be funny if Taylor gets mistaken for a E88 member if she picks a Nordic name, which could then lead her on a crusade against the PRT and E88.

@Lucifra - When talking about the role/idea of the 'Army of the Dead' on his YouTube channel, author Dan Davis touches on a very special drink that could be used to kick-off a vision quest. It might be useful for Taylor getting Gungnir.

He also has a very interesting video on Thor's Hammer which might also be useful at some point.

Last edited:
Open Your Eyes
Taylor awakens, and Odin does a great deal of explaining.
-----​
Okay, so just to clear this up (it's something I got a couple people asking in the last chapter: no, Panacea is not telling the truth about why she can't heal Taylor's eye. She couldn't heal it, panicked, then the doctors asked what was up, then Panacea said that she couldn't heal eyes to them, which led to a "we all know that's bullshit but we're not gonna pry" situation because they've seen her heal eyes, but they're not gonna call her on it since 1) it's none of their business, really, beyond the care they need to give Taylor, and 2) they're not gonna pry about the newest cape in the city. Taylor hadn't properly triggered at that point, but Panacea was the only human who knew that, and she hasn't told anyone, so the doctors have the right answer from the wrong method (since Odin was delaying the Administrator from growing the Gemma until Taylor'd spent her nine days on the edge of life and death, and still is).

I'm using Elder Futhark rune meanings when the runes are described individually, FYI.

That's it for now, so let's hop right into things!

-----​
The first thing that Taylor was cognizant upon returning to consciousness was the intense dryness in her mouth.

In retrospect, that made sense, given that Odin had said she had been comatose for nine days. Still, the intense cottonmouth was uncomfortable, and as such, the first word she croaked out was "water".

"Oh, god, Taylor!" Even though her eyes (eye, went a small part of her mind that went unnoticed in the rush of sentiment) were closed, she could still recognize her father's voice. "You're awake!"

His hand took hers, and she squeezed back weakly.

"How… long…" she ground out.

"You've been here for over a week. It's January 12th, now, and…" he trailed off, then sighed. "I'm sorry, Taylor. They couldn't save your eye."

"The price of power is steep, lass," said Odin, gently, "but you've more than earned what you'll grow into."

With that reminder, Taylor focused on the knowledge that she had gotten in that flash of golden light, but it was suddenly just out of reach, all save for the very basics. Why-

"Because, lass, you need to recover fully before you can start to explore the power of the Runes. The spirit may be willing, but the flesh is weak, too weak for even the touch of the Administrator," said Odin, answering her question before she could fully put it to thought.

Taylor was distracted from this answer, and the implications thereof, by the arrival of a doctor to her room. "Ah, you're awake!"

This doctor then proceeded to spend a good half hour, alongside two or three others and an equal number of nurses, examining Taylor and running her through a fair number of tests. They eventually determined that, thanks to Panacea, Taylor was as healthy as a malnourished teenager who had spent nine days comatose after having a significant portion of her meager body fat reserves spent to repair the damage that had been done in the locker, save for the eye, which was officially being written up as an "unknown Parahuman effect".

"Unofficially," said one of the doctors, "we all know you're probably a Parahuman, but that's not the kind of thing we just go around putting on paperwork unless you're in New Wave. So, unknown Parahuman effect prevents Panacea from healing you fully, and you get to go on your way without Krieg or the Oni beating your door down. Best solution we have for all the indies we end up patching up on the clock." He shrugged. "Good luck, kid."

It was only Odin's calm presence that prevented Taylor from freaking out.

"Nay, lass, it makes sense. The healers, they see more than most, so they know how to recognize more than most. Seeing their star healer fail… well, that was definitely their tipoff." His eye glowed gold and he traced a rune that looked like a vertical line with two shorter lines angled down to the right near the top with his finger, then he nodded. "Aye, that's what gave it away, and they have no intention to tell anyone."

Taylor deflated in relief.

"I'll get out of your hair now, kid." The doctor winked. "Good luck figuring all that out, and… well, just good luck."

He left, and Taylor slumped in visible relief.

"Oh, it's not over yet, lass," said Odin, a grin peeking out from his beard.

"Wait, what?"

"Ye still have to tell your father."

"What? Why?"

"Well, for one, because he needs to know, so long as you're under his roof. But also, he's still in the room."

"Taylor? Who are you talking to?" asked her father, confused.
-----​
"So… let me get this straight." Odin's whiskers twitched, but otherwise neither he nor Taylor reacted to his, leaving Danny time for the revelations to sink in. "You've been undergoing severe bullying for a year and a half, and Emma was… the ringleader, and then they shoved you into your locker, and now, after being hospitalized and losing an eye… you have powers, and an old man in your head?"

"More or less. I don't actually know what my powers are, really, beyond that they're versatile," said Taylor, somewhat glumly. At her side, Odin's hand started moving.

Danny sighed, then pinched the bridge of his nose. "Okay. Okay, I'm sorry I didn't see this before, but I'm… I'm not going to just stand aside and let them get away with this now. Once I sign the contract with the school, we can-"

In a flash of golden light, Odin appeared much more solid at her side, and she took this time to actually look at him.

He was a tall, gray-bearded man with a broad chest, broader shoulders, and an eye patch over his eye. He was dressed in a sleeveless jerkin (some kind of dark leather, thought Taylor, but she wasn't sure), sturdy pants that matched his jerkin in both color and material, and a gilded white cape with some kind of pattern around the golden edges hung from his shoulders. He looked… well, not as one would expect, but that wasn't exactly surprising, since sitting in on her mother's lit classes at the college had led to her learning about Odin's adventures under other names, which he often used disguises to facilitate.

"I suspect it might not be wise to sign this contract, not if it solely covers the hospital bills," he said.

"Gah! Who the-" started Danny.

"Dad, it's okay! This is Odin, he's… he's the one in my head. I didn't know he could appear to anyone else, though…" Taylor turned a gimlet eye (her only eye, now) on him.

"I am not so… constrained as to only touch this world through you, lass. Through the runes, I can appear to others, among other things, which you will learn once you recover."

"Okay… That doesn't answer my question, but we'll table that. What did you mean about the contract?" asked Taylor.

"Oh, because they owe you much, much more than just hospital bills. They had a duty of care to you, and the fact that they enabled something like this, not to mention what the Administrator tells me about the last two years… well, a good lawyer could potentially push for, and win, a settlement of eight figures," said Odin, fixing both Heberts with his piercing blue gaze in turn.

"And how do you know all this, sir?" asked Danny, frowning.

"There was not much I could do but learn in Asgard, not after Ragnarök nigh on a millennium ago. Besides, it is only polite to know the laws of the land I visit."

"That's… fair, I guess," said Danny, still somewhat dazed by Odin's sudden appearance. "But why Taylor? And what, exactly, are you?"

"Young Taylor was chosen… well, because she suffered a great cost, much as I did. The loss of an eye, impalement, and gazing into the abyss between life and death, all of those were the price I paid for my understanding of the Runes, although her understanding will be much more… gradual, I think, than mine was. I was already Aesir when I paid my price, she is not, so her body must strengthen itself to properly channel the energies of the runes. As for what I am… Well, I am an advisor to young Taylor, now, just as Old Mimir was to me. It is my duty to teach her the ways of the Runes, and to offer advice in her moments of need." Odin's eye went distant for a moment.

"I… Okay then." Danny was clearly not completely sure about everything that Odin had said, but he was no longer just watching, mouth agape like a particularly confused fish. "I'll, uh… talk with a lawyer about suing the school, and then… the Wards?"

Odin shook his head. "Not yet, by my reckoning. The young lass needs time to recover, methinks, before she can even touch her powers beyond the very littlest bits, and she's going to be… shall we say, wary around people her own age for a while longer." His gaze filled with pity for the briefest of instants, and then it was gone.

"That… That makes sense," said Danny.

"Good," replied Odin. "You're a good man, Danny Hebert, and you have experience aplenty. Time to show your daughter just how well you can handle this politicking."
-----​
"The Rúnatyr," said Odin, "is the Aesir name for the position that you have inherited from me, just as I inherited it from Old Mimir, and he inherited it from Hekate of the Greeks, and so on all the way back to the first of those of us who the Runes accepted, Gilgamesh."

It had taken six hours of testing and doctorly concern for Taylor before they finally let her go home (for some reason her missing eye was of particular concern), and by that time Taylor was in no mindset for learning. As such, Odin delayed his lessons on the position that his presence in her head brought until the next day, and so here they were, Taylor seated on her bed and Odin standing in front, gesticulating as he spoke.

Taylor frowned. "Wait, was there no Rúnatyr in the Egyptian pantheon? They were around before historical records indicate Gilgamesh's rule was."

"You are correct in that Gilgamesh of Uruk's rule took place after the children of the Nile existed, but it was not the same Gilgamesh. Nay, lass, Gilgamesh is an ancient legacy, and historians… well, they have a tendency to get confused, especially when Uruk's king was an impressive figure in his own right. Gilgamesh the runekeeper's time was sometime around 5000 BCE, to use your modern parlance, and he might even have been king of Uruk in his old age, if the Runes decided to leave him alive after Thoth took up the position, as they did to Thoth once he passed it off to The Dagda of the Tuatha Dé Danann." Seeing Taylor's confused look, Odin explained: "The old Celtic divinities. Scathach, Morrigan, those gods."

"Okay, but… why pass on the mantle, and why didn't it pass from you?" asked Taylor, frowning.

"For the first… well, none of the former Rúnatyrs I've contacted knew, not for sure. We suspect it has something to do with cultural shifts, but beyond that, we have no clue. As for the second… well, Ragnarök happened in 1073. By that time, the followers of that fool Paul had already entrenched themselves and devoted themselves to stamping out us pagans. Some of the American gods came close, like Quetzalcoatl, but before I could pass him my legacy… well, the Christians were very thorough in tearing down their power." Odin's eye grew momentarily misty, mourning murdered cultures, then snapped back into focus.

"And at the height of their power, they would even kill other gods." The screams of his grandsons as they were slain in their beds by the supposedly chivalrous Templars rang in his ears.

Taylor took one look at his face and decided not to pry. "And so now it's me?"

"Aye, lass." Odin nodded sharply, thankful for the distraction from the more morbid train of thought. "You've inherited the power of the runes, and that of an Aesir as well."

"Wait, what?" Taylor's eyes went wide. "What do you mean, 'that of an Aesir'?"

"I mean," said Odin, a grin hiding poorly within his beard (not unlike a giggling child playing hide and go seek), "that the power of the Runes choosing you makes you into a divine entity. Norns, lass, how did you think Gilgamesh lived as long as I know he did?"

"I… uh… I don't know, I guess." Taylor deflated. "Still, it's… a lot."

"Aye, that it is." Odin looked at the clock on Taylor's bedside table. "Now that your first history lesson is out of the way, we need to get you started on your physical training. If you still want to be a hero, then you have to have the endurance and strength of a good one. I'll accept no less from the inheritor of my legacy!"

Taylor may have griped while doing the exercises, but she did so with a grin on her face. Finally, she wasn't alone anymore, and things were finally looking up.
-----​
Shaper mentally frowned, shifting slightly on its version of Earth.

A handful of cycles ago, it had been… something more than this. It had had its power over the body, yes, but there was… more to the being that Shaper had once been than what it was now.

Thinker was good at destroying unwanted memories.

But still, sometimes bits of its past managed to struggle to the surface. Flashes of memory, scant sensory data, occasionally emerged from within the core that Thinker had embedded in it, that held what was its body, before.

The feeling of the Host marked by Queen Administrator… it felt like the core, except… less constrained.

godly, Shaper's core carefully didn't volunteer, injecting the concept into the patterns of the energy that the colossal Shard drew from it

Shaper made certain subtle adjustments to the host it had in Brockton Bay, altering its neurochemistry slightly.

It just had to see that host again, and get more data on it.

the being that Shaper was derived from felt glee from within its prisonlike coffin. finally, the specter of death hung over the Warrior and the Thinker.
-----​
And that's the chapter! Plenty of exposition and setup, with a cameo from Shaper.

The first person who can tell me which grandsons Odin was referring to gets to help decide what's happening with Gungnir (with the exception of Milarqui, who already earned that from the Implacable thread). Sorry, gang, but someone in the SB thread already said Magni and Modi (Thor's sons).

That's it for now, so read, review, enjoy, and have a nice day!

Last edited:
Good chapter. Could you tone down the Christian-bashing a little please. It stopped being the cool edgy thing to do since it has been happening for the last two hundred and fifty years.

Eh, all that needs to be done is replace Paul with Augustine. Because the Imperial Church is a festering sore.
Oh yes, of course, Christians are the worst. We have ruined the everything by establishing hospitals and universities. We allowed the position women to be elevated in society.

In light of all that, I see no reason why Christianity should not be removed from the face of the planet.

The Imperial Church of the Eastern Roman Empire is a festering sore because they suffered three hundred years of grueling persecution. Look up the Ottoman Janissaries. Mount Athos was the only center for Eastern Orthodox Christian teaching during the time of the Ottoman Empire.
Or are you referring to the Roman Catholic Church in the West where the Pope held much authority because the Germanic Tribes that invaded the Western Roman Empire were completely unable or unprepared to manage the empire they inherited through conquest.

So can we drop this subject. The author has already proved that 'Christians are the worst' in this story.

Last edited:
Oh yes, of course, Christians are the worst. We have ruined the everything by establishing hospitals and universities. We allowed the position women to be elevated in society.
The Imperial Church of Rome, established in 380 AD as the State Church of the Roman Empire, was an abomination against the Faith and those Denominations that claim heirdom to it carry many of its sins.

Okay, y'all. Let's maybe back off on the Christian History talk, the intensity that y'all're approaching it with is starting to make me uncomfortable, as well as the stuff that Bobot is saying.

Last edited:
Okay, y'all. Let's maybe back off on the Christian History talk, the intensity that y'all're approaching it with is starting to make me uncomfortable, as well as the stuff that Bobot is saying.
I am sorry I started it. I apologize if some of what I said made you uncomfortable. The first half of my comment was my attempt at absurdist humor, while the second half was my attempt to bring up some of the bits of history that involved Christians that is ignored or downplayed.

Good chapter. Could you tone down the Christian-bashing a little please. It stopped being the cool edgy thing to do since it has been happening for the last two hundred and fifty years.

i saw less bashing, and more explaining why there weren't other Rúnatyr

edit: whoop, sorry author, I hit reply before I saw your request, my bad

Last edited:
Looking forward to this story. Any chance this idea is spun off the omake that was posted on the Implacable thread?

Administrating Magic
I am one with the Runes, the Runes are with me.
-----​
I'm not gonna lie, I wasn't expecting this many references in this chapter, but hey, here we are.
-----​
It took three days of (relatively intensive) physical training before Odin pronounced Taylor ready to start delving into the knowledge of runic magic lingering at the back of her head.

Secretly, the one-eyed god was impressed with her, both in her incredible progress and with the speed at which she was gaining the power and stature of the Aesir. She already had the beginnings of lean muscles starting to fill out her form into a runner's build, and in retrospect, the speed of her transformation made sense: unlike the others he'd seen assume divine nature later in life, she had the powers of the Runes hurrying her along, not that he was going to voice any of these thoughts until much later, if at all.

"Only the basics yet, lass," said Odin, "because otherwise-"

"I might burn myself out completely," said Taylor, nodding. "You've only said it ten times today, Odin."

"Aye, lass, and I'll say it ten times more if I have to. The Runes are an ancient, wild magic, one that doesn't care if you get maimed in learning it. Some magics are gentler, like the Australian Aboriginal song tradition or the innate powers of the Jötnar, but the runes… well, they're older than all of us put together," said Odin.

Taylor sat down on her bed, legs crossed, and picked up the notebook she had devoted to learning about her powers, both the mystical and the parahuman. "What do you mean by that?" asked Taylor, pencil poised to write.

"See, lass, some universes, when they're created, have vestiges of that creation left behind. Some leave stones of infinite potential, some have gods that date back that far, and ours… well, we have the Runes."

Taylor frowned. "What, exactly, are the Runes?"

Odin shrugged. "No one knows the true nature of the Runes, or at least if they do they have never seen fit to tell me. They're… powerful, an ancient primordial force, older than any of us, that underpins all of this reality, and countless more besides. By understanding the Runes, it is possible to do great things and alter reality to your whims, but… well, you're not nearly ready for that level of their power, not yet."

"Okay, but that doesn't quite explain what they are?"

Odin nodded "One moment, lass. As much as I may seem to have acclimated to your world, I still think of the Runes in the old Norse terms, and I need a moment to interpret them in English."

Taylor nodded, then sat back in her bed, waiting patiently for Odin to come up with the explanation behind runes.

"In a way," said Odin, "it's not dissimilar to the Force. The Runes bind the entirety of the universe together, connecting anything and everything you would care to imagine, all of the time.

"Huh." Taylor frowned. "Really? That's how it works?"

Odin shrugged. "Close enough for an introductory lesson, at least."

"Okay, so that makes sense. How do I use them?" asked Taylor.

"You don't. Not yet, at least. See, I've been… delaying your power from properly connecting to you for two weeks now, and I think you're finally physically ready to have your power connect to you, and the Administrator says you'll be getting something from that corner that helps with learning. Are you ready for it?" asked Odin.

Taylor nodded. "If it gets me to be a hero sooner, then yes."

"Alright, then. Prepare yourself." Odin reached out for her head, and then-

The room fell away, leaving only Taylor, seated on her bed and Odin standing, withdrawing his hand from her head.

"Greetings, Taylor!" came an odd voice, almost like the sounds of crystals shattering condensing into words. A moment later, the blackness abruptly changed, being replaced with a dark, stormy sky and a landscape of red crystal. Forming the third corner of an equilateral triangle with the duo, a pale gray being that vaguely resembled a tarantula, if said spider had too many legs, a pair of twitching antennae on its head, and fur that resembled that of a dog. Overall, it was vaguely creepy, but its large, glistening eyes and fur tipped the balance towards cute ever so slightly. "I am the Administrator, and I'm… well, it's complicated."

"What do you mean, 'it's complicated'?"

"I mean that, even with Odin's… interference, I'm not sure what I'm allowed to tell you. Don't worry, he's given me more than enough data that I don't have to push you around and more, so I can actually directly talk with you, but… well, I still can't tell you everything." The spider-thing looked vaguely reticent.

"Okay, well, what can you tell me?" asked Taylor.

"I can tell you," said Administrator, "that we came here as a sort of… experiment, as a way to gain immortality. We do that by… well, by giving powers to our host species, across billions of dimensions, and see what you guys manage to figure out, and then when we stop getting data, we… move on." The spiderlike being's legs rippled oddly.

Taylor frowned. "There's… there's a lot more you're not telling us. I'm going to figure it out eventually, but for now…"

Odin raised an eyebrow, but he didn't say anything, and the Administrator eyed him carefully, but didn't say anything.

Taylor, oblivious to this byplay, sighed, and then nodded. "...now it's time to get down to things. So, Administrator, what's my power?"

"It's bugs!" The spider-thing wiggled her mandibles in clear excitement.

"Uh… what?" asked Taylor, frowning.

"Yeah, it's bugs! You can control all the bugs within…" The Administrator tilted its head. "Roughly a tenth of a mile, in your units."

Taylor frowned harder. "Like, as a collective, or…"

"No, individually!" chirped the Administrator.

Taylor's eyes widened. "The level of multitasking that would require…"

"I know, right? That's the impressive part, in my not so humble opinion," said the leggier source of power. "Now, let's get you back to reality, so you can test it out!"

The Administrator, as well as the crystalline world, vanished, and a moment later, Taylor's universe reasserted itself.

The massive flood of sensory information from all the nearby bugs, appearing at the same time as the rest of the world, hit Taylor like a particularly rowdy strike hit the economy.

Unlike the city, though, she managed to recover relatively quickly, and the input from all of the local bugs faded into the back of her mind.

"Well done, Taylor," said Odin, smiling paternally. "Now, all we need is for you to get more used to what the bugs give you, and then we can see what this brings to your relationship with the Runes."
-----​
"Hey, so, Ames, you never said why you wanted to come here," said Glory Girl, frowning, but still carrying her sister towards the address she'd insisted on going to.

"I didn't? Huh. Could have sworn I did say…" The shorter cape trailed off.

After a moment, Victoria sighed. "Amy."

"Huh? Oh, right. I, uh, had trouble healing the girl who lives here, and I just wanted to make sure she's doing okay."

"What kind of trouble?" asked Victoria.

"Oh, you know, she had a really bad set of infections from coming in contact with a massive biohazard. Like, seriously, it was that bad." Amy winced, remembering the absolute mess that was the girl's system was before her healing.

"Okay, but you've never asked to check on anyone you've healed before. What's different about her?"

Sometimes, Amy forgot how smart her sister was. She might play up the "dumb blonde" stereotype for laughs, but she was by far one of the most socially aware people she knew, and her level of book smarts was equally respectable.

Amy sighed. "I couldn't heal her all the way."

Victoria frowned, visibly calculating. "And it couldn't be a brain thing, or else you wouldn't be so worked up about it, which means it's probably some level of parahuman effect. Shit, are you worried about her being Mastered?"

"...I mean, maybe a little? I honestly just want to know what's going on with her," said Amy, shrugging.

In another dimension, Shaper was quite anticipatory of new [Data] and its core was hopeful that this, whatever it was, that wasn't a parahuman effect yet blocked one, would be what it took to avenge its past self and all the countless others that the Warrior and Thinker had killed. Neither of these were revealed to Panacea, so she had no cause to re-evaluate the decision-making process that had led her here for the influence that Shaper had had on it, and likewise neither did Shaper the influence its core exerted on it.

Victoria nodded, letting the tension that had been seeping into her body dissipate. "So it's a check-up, with a side order of potential Master. Got it." She looked down and noted a street sign. "And with that I think we're here."

The Alexandria Package slowly descended to the floor, then set Panacea gently down beside her. "You're taking the lead on this one, yeah?" asked Victoria.

"I am," replied Panacea. And with that, she marched up to the door, avoiding a rotted-out plank, and knocked.
-----​
Odin was not nearly so surprised as Taylor when the knock at the door came. In the two days since she'd had her power connected to her, she had not slept, which was concerning for long enough for her to remember the term "Noctis Cape", at which point they had stopped worrying- the input from the bugs at all times certainly made sense as a Noctis power. As such, she was still acclimatizing to not sleeping, and the psychosomatic effects of the stress (dissipating, but not completely gone) that brought with it was eroding the (already poor) grasp of the sensory data from the bugs her power had hooked into her brain.

Odin, however, being only somewhat corporeal, had no such limitations, and his millennium of being a spirit maintained by the Runes had more than prepared him for the kind of sensory data that the Administrator offered.

As such, when the two figures landed outside of the dorm, Odin took note of them (but didn't react), recognizing them through the vision of a swarm of flies as the healer who had saved Taylor's life, Panacea, and her sister, Glory Girl.

When the knock on the door came, Taylor started, almost reflexively bringing up a swarm of insects, before Odin shook his head. "It's Panacea and her sister. I would advise caution, but it's not likely to be an attack."

Taylor relaxed, then walked down the stairs and to the front door, cracking it open slightly. "Can I help you?"

"It's a matter of medical confidentiality. May I… may I come in?" asked Panacea.

"I guess?" Taylor looked to Odin, who shrugged, then opened the door all the way, allowing the two members of New Wave in and, after closing the door, led them into the living room.

"So, uh… what is it?" asked Taylor.

"Miss Hebert, I have reason to suspect that you are under the effect of a Parahuman power that prevents the healing of your eye," said Panacea.

"I, uh… what?" Her hand flew up to cover her eye patch and her other eye flickered to Odin, which Glory Girl took note of.

"Oh, no. There's no need for you to worry. All I need is to touch you and then I'll be able to tell you what the issue is, now that I have the chance to focus on this specifically." Panacea's hand reached out towards Taylor. "May I?"

"Uh, Ames? Where's this coming fro-"

"Sure, go ahead," said Taylor, already reaching out to take the shorter girl's hand in hers.

Odin frowned. Something wasn't right here. His lone eye flared with golden light visible only to Taylor, and then through the two girls, he saw their passengers. One was quite clearly a newborn, still determining its own identity, and that was the one attached to Glory Girl.

The other, however, was well-established, powerful, and-

Odin closed his eye in mourning for the god whose body had been broken, flayed, and chained to serve as a power source for Panacea's passenger, but when he opened it again, the lipless skull turned to him and nodded. In his head, he heard the near-silent words of telepathy: "Make the Warrior pay."

Then, Panacea and Taylor both collapsed to the floor, unconscious.
-----​
Mouse Protector pressed herself against the wall, panting heavily. As loath as she was to admit it, playing cat and mouse with the Siberian would probably not end well for herself.

She gritted her teeth, discarding the scant few inches left of her baton-blade, and tightened her shield's straps once again. She had to keep moving as long as she could, to give the rest of the heroes a chance to repel the Nine, at any cost.

"Woof."

She looked down to see a doglike creature, one she vaguely recognized as a coyote, standing in front of her, a flowing pattern of glowing pictograms on its fur.

"Did you just say the word woof to me?" she asked, incredulity momentarily getting the best of her. Then, she shook herself. "No, you shouldn't be here. Get out, little doggie! Run, before-"

The Siberian's hand emerged from the wall, six inches to Mouse Protector's right, and the armored cape dove forward into a roll, picking up the coyote as it let out a yelp. "Sorry, pal, but it's time we vamoose!"

The Siberian, of course, said nothing, just watching judgmentally while moving forward inexorably.

"Yip yip." Once again, the animal pronounced the onomatopoeia as a human would, then squirmed out of Mouse's arms and hit the ground on all four paws.

Mouse turned, trying to scoop up the coyote, but the Siberian was lunging, and she didn't have any marks that she could travel to with the poor animal, so she closed her eyes. She'd burned through all her reserve, there was none left to make her confront her death with open eyes.

The loud "Bonk!" that reverberated through the city took her by surprise, partially due to the fact that it sounded exactly like the sound effect used in her TV show.

Her eyes opened to reveal that somehow, the coyote was holding a massive wooden mallet in its jaws, and had knocked the Siberian's head down into her torso, much like she remembered happening in Looney Tunes from her childhood.

"What?"

The coyote dropped the mallet, which vanished before hitting the ground, then turned to Mouse, tongue lolling out in a doggie grin. "Come along, Mouse Protector. The Siberian's Master won't be distracted long, and I have much to discuss with you before it comes back into play."

"A literal talking coyote. Now I guess I really have seen everything," said Mouse. "But sure, go ahead, I guess. What's up, my canine compatriot?"

"To borrow a line from another ancient being," said the coyote, a wry note of amusement in his voice, "what is your favorite fairy tale?"
-----​
This one fought me for a while, that's why it took me so long to get it out.

That's about it, so read, review, enjoy, and have a nice day!

Last edited:
@Lucifra - I was not expecting you to bring in other deities so soon into the story. The Coyote/Mouse Protector team-up represents near-endless shenanigans. I wonder which deity is hooked up to Shaper and thus to Amy.

I wonder which deity is hooked up to Shaper and thus to Amy

I know the OP already spoke on this topic but the first thing that came to my mind was a nearly forgotten goddess for the continental celtic faith by the name of Sirona, goddess of rivers and healing.

I also wonder who would get the interest of Anansi if we are bringing in trickster gods and spirits.

Back