In which I Nuzlocke: Garbage Green

Starter Selection and First Encounters
Pronouns
He/Him
Lets start by getting everyone up to speed.
A Nuzlocke is a way of playing pokemon that adds several rules to the game to increase the difficulty. Rule the first, you may only catch the first pokemon you encounter in a given area. Rule the second, if a pokemon faints in battle, it is slain and cannot be used anymore. (you also have to nickname all your mons but that's not really a difficulty rule).
A "Hardcore" nuzlocke adds three more critical rules to the game, that are forced onto you by garbage green so I'll explain them here. You must play on set mode, cannot use items in battle (aside from held items and pokeballs) and shall not level your pokemon past the next gym leaders ace before the start of the gym battle. In pokemon garbage green, not only can you not use items in battle or change off set mode, there is an enforced hard level cap of one level past the next gym leader (to make you manage EXP acquisition during gauntlets).

So, what exactly is Garbage Green?
Garbage green is a romhack of pokemon leaf green produced by youtuber pokemonchallenges, with the express goal of making pokemon leaf green as hard as possible without changing any of the enemy trainers. The increased difficulty comes in three main forms, firstly, changes to encounterable pokemon (nothing has a special move before brock, no grass or electric types before misty, no ground types before surge... etc). Secondly, changes to evolutions and movesets, certain pre-evolved forms of powerful pokemon are obtainable, some very early on, but they will be stuck that way for the majority of the game if not the entirety. Thirdly, the creation of "Gauntlets". In certain areas of the game, starting with Mt Moon, once you enter, you will be trapped by an event or an impassable ledge, and not released until you have beaten every trainer inside/made it through to the other side of the area. "But wait" I hear you say, "what does that matter when you can just use potions and elixirs and antidotes to heal your Pokémon between fights?" Ah, I'm afraid not. Not a single pokemart in this game will sell you so much as a potion, status and HP heal berries are extremely limited, and any that would be repeatable like regenerating drops or thief/pickup have been removed (thief no longer steals items, pickup only provides useless bluk berries) Any damage you take during a gauntlet is a permanant loss of resources, each move you use will not be restored until you are through.

With all that being said, welcome to my Hardcore nuzlocke of garbage green:

----

I won't lie to you, I've been playing this game for a couple weeks before deciding to start this thread, and have made it even as far as rock tunnel. Yep, a whole 3 gyms out of 8 plus the sevii islands. But now it's back to starter selection
Obviously, these won't be your normal gen 1 starters, but they do follow a fire/water/grass theming

As you can see, not exactly stellar options

Now, you might wonder what exactly is so terrible about these pokemon. Well, slugma has the natural fire starter weakness to the first two gyms, as well as a truly absymal 250 base stat total, it is the only special user you can get before brock, and flame body can be very strong, it's generally considered the second best starter, but Squirtle rival can be very difficult to defeat early. (oh yeah, he doesn't have to deal with this trash, unchanged enemies remember) As for paras, in one of the few moveset changes in the entire game, it's level 22 spore has been changed to sleep powder (a 25 percent loss in accuracy) and a 4x weakness to flying and fire, as well as a 2x weakness to poison land paras firmly in "3rd best starter" (also you have to fight charmander rival, yikes). Although paras does have some upsides, its one of the few sources of poison before brock, which makes his gym much easier, and leech life before misty makes it a great gauntlet pokemon. But what of goldeen, by process of elimination, it must be the best, right Sun? Well yes, between the weakness of bulbasaur rival and early access to horn attack, a 65 base power normal type move with 100 percent accuracy and no drawbacks, Goldeen is generally the best starter.... but. Well, did you do as oak said and check the moveset? If you haven't, I'll save you the trouble. Goldeen has exactly one water type move in its level up learnset. Waterfall. Which it naturally learns at level 38. Horn attack and flail will be carrying us all the way to Koga. But enough discussion on the starters, We're picking Goldeen and I will be naming my pokemon after the names of elements of the periodic table, so say hello to Hydrogen:

Hydrogen is rocking a brave nature, making it hit harder (great) and move slower (bad). I should also mention that EVs have been removed from this game. All of the starters come prepackaged with an Oran berry to ensure they survive the first rival fight, getting it out will be very useful if I can manage it.

Obviously, a level 5 bulbasaur is no great danger for a goldeen and we defeat him with two pecks, preserving our oran berry for the future

Now we can go deliver oaks goods and start collecting encounters

Another bit of information you should probably have, While pokemarts have been changed to no longer sell potions/antidotes, etc and all overworld potions have been removed, there is still a reason to go to a mart beyond filling up on pokeballs. Pokemarts now sell the rare candy item for only 1$ a pop, removing grinding from the game compeletly

But now that our oak goods are sorted, lets see our encounters
From route one, our options range from bad (Unown, Smeargle, Ditto) to Abysmal (Delibird)
And we ended up getting:

An unown, not too bad, but the crucial question is.. what hidden power type is it? While I was catching it, it was not very effective on Goldeen, which gives it four possible types, one of which is fantastic, one is okay, one is fine, and one is basically useless. Those types, in order, are Water, Ice, Fire and Steel. Water, Ice and Fire are all special types, and Water and Ice are both super effective into brock (so is steel, but it needs to run up against base 100 defense geodude instead of base 30 special defense), making this unown one of the better encounters on this route, period (beaten out only by HP grass, HP psychic and HP ground)

After heading to viridian to heal, buy pokeballs and rare candy, and level my pokemon, I can head back to Route 1 and dig up a delibird to check my HP type further, as an Ice/Flying type, delibird is weak to steel and fire, and damaged neutrally by water and ice.

Well, that's less than fantastic, but fine.

Next up is route 2, You can get an encounter on route 22 but one of the potential encounters is abra, If we encounter Swablu on route 2, at the level cap of 14, even a -speed, zero speed IV swablu will outspeed the fastest possible abra, and can use sing (a coin flip at 55 percent accuracy, but still better than the chances of "just ball and pray" (pokemon catch calculations are hard, but it's somewhere in the realm of a 33% chance)

Of course, this all only matters if we encounter a Swablu..

Luckily, we did. Our other options on route 2 (for future runs) are Igglybuff, Psyduck and Spearow, all useful mons in the right circumstances (Spearow stab peck is great for grass types like that bulbasaur without risking Goldeen) And for reference our possible route 22 encounters are Togepi (decent support pokemon with charm, yawn and sweet kiss) Tyrogue (absolutely abysmal Base 35 in every stat + tackle locked) Abra as mentioned (does nothing until after brock and certainly never evolves, but the Thief TM from Mt moon makes it a decent special blaster, and in the late game it wield the psychic tm quite well I've heard) and Whismur (an okay normal attacker for mt moon and cerulean north if you don't get teddiursa). So, all this theorizing for Abra, what did we end up with?

No abra, but charm will be very useful. And finally Viridian Forest can provide us Hoothoot (Access to Hypnosis after brock is alright, kinda doubles up with swablu) Leyba (Comet punch, seriously even after it evolves after brock its traaash) Pineco (Unexciting, but early selfdestruct allows you to basically skip Misty which is neat) or Shuckle (can have over 100 defense and special defense before misty, won't have over 20 attack, bug/rock is a terrible type combo) And we've recieved:

Ah well, better than shuckle.

I won't be showing the viridian forest trainers, we have a level 13+ Goldeen, Swablu and Hoothoot, all with peck, and none of them have anything better than a level 9 weedle, AND viridian isn't a gauntlet (also, for reference, Garbage green removes overworld poison damage) so nothing in here can possibly threaten us. With that in mind let's skip ahead to Pewter Gym... Oh but before that, I took the time to nail down Nihonium's HP type, it's fire (sigh). Exactly how I verified that is left as an exercise for the reader. Anyway on to Pewter. Brock's gym has been ... Modified, to prevent the skipping of Camper Liam, but he only has a Geodude and a Sandshrew, and we still have a special attacking Unown (Sandshrew doesn't even resist fire)

So he shouldn't provide any problem.

of course, it's not exactly quick either, but I'm able to get through with no surprises.

I'll be breaking these up for the image Limit, Next up is the pre-brock teamsheet (there won't be one of these every time, but it seems like a good way to start off) and then Brock.

Team Sheet - Before Brock
Eventually we're through, and now the gym team, leveled up to 14 (and Unown and Goldeen edged to right under 15) to match Brocks Onix.

The Team

Hydrogen, my starter

Calcium the Togepi, he has a sassy nature which increases special defense and reduces speed, which is not fantastic. He'll be our lead into this fight with charm

Nihonium the unown, they have a Naive nature (-spdef, +speed) which is one of the better ones, and will be our ace in this fight

Oxygen the Swablu, she's got a bold nature (-atk +def) which is pretty awful, because Swablu won't be learning a single special move by level up... ever. She'll evolve into altaria at level 45, just in time for Blaine, but since altaria learns dragonbreath at 35..... she can pick it up from the move relearner on Two island before Giovanni, or she can make use of the dragon claw TM on Victory road. Yep

And lastly is Sodium the Hoothoot, He's got a brave nature (+atk, -spd) which isn't awful but will mean she's getting outspeed by some slow mons. I'm hoping I won't have to bring Oxygen or sodium for brock, they're both naturally slower than Onix meaning he should be calling binds and tackles... unless he sees a kill with rock tomb and I'm trapped by bind and can't switch

I won't be doing a full teamsheet for every gauntlet or boss, but starting from here we'll have more difficult situations to get to know the team members, Start to brock is a breeze regardless of your picks.

So, lets get into it

Vs Gym Leader Brock
Brock Begins with Geodude and has Onix in the back. Lets jump right into it

Phase one goes pretty well, I'm able to charm him down to -6 attack while he just sets up defense curls (that we'll be ignoring anyway).

I quickly switch Hydrogen in to exp soak, and then pivot to Nihonium..

Who eats a critical tackle on the switch, not fantastic (crits in pokemon ignore stat drops) but unless we get insanely unlucky the plan should be fine.

I'm able to take Geodude down without much more damage, giving EXP to my 3 pokemon, which gets Hydrogen to the critical level 15, unlocking it's best move for the first half of the game, Horn Attack

Now onix comes out and it's back to Calcium for more charm, but he gets bound on the switch. And then Crit with tackle on the next turn

Still, Plan A isn't off the table yet. Calcium is slower than Onix so he won't be pulling out Rock Tombs just yet, and we're able to charm him down to -6, but I'm still bound, so time to throw out a Sweet kiss.

It connects and we're freed from bind, so off to Nihonium, who's bound on the way in, which means it's time to step on the gas

... Yeah, that gas. Onix snaps out of confusion immediately (of course) and kindly misses a bind, so we keep trading blows

It's looking rough, but we're still bound, at 2 hp, Nihonium's fate is sealed unless onix decides to miss a bind.... which he does not. So long Nihonium o7

Still, Onix is low enough for Hydrogen to clean up no problem.

It still takes 2 horn attacks to clear him, but he just misses a rock tomb with his only turn.

And with that we're done this segment. Pretty easy but it's still possible to lose mons, or even wipe completely if your luck is abysmal. Join me next time as I pick up my next two encounters (the critical route 3 poison type and Mt Moon) and take on the game's first gauntlet, Possibly the second depending on how I do.

I've never been able to do a nuzlocke before, much respect for doing what appears to be a particularly hard one.

Does this hack include alternate ways for Pokémon to evolve if trading is normally required (ie Gengar and Alakazam?)

Does this hack include alternate ways for Pokémon to evolve if trading is normally required (ie Gengar and Alakazam?)
I mean, Kinda? If by "alternate" way you mean "no" way. Of the trade evolution pokemon avalible in leaf green, Poliwag does not evolve, Abra does not evolve, Machoke does not evolve, Graveler does not evolve, slowpoke does not evolve, Haunter does not evolve, Onix does not evolve, Rhyhorn does not evolve, Seadra does not evolve, Scyther cannot be obtained, Elekid does not evolve, Magby does not evolve, Feebas does not evolve, Porygon does not evolve, aaaand Clamperl does not evolve.

Prepping for Mt Moon
So, we're through brock, and as our reward we get to obtain the Rock tomb TM, a base 50 rock type move with 80 percent accuracy. It also always lowers the opponents speed by one stage.

It's an okay TM, but not for right now (especially since none of our pokemon can use it.
Next, we must go send Nihonium off to the lands beyond

o7 Nihonium, should have had HP water.

Lucky for us, we don't need to fight the trainers on route 3, because they've been converted into a mini-gauntlet hiding what I believe is a hidden item, that's the sprite that is used for other hidden items, like this Persim berry. I don't know what it is, because I've never done this gauntlet

So we can skip straight to our encounters. Route 3 is the pivotal poison type encounter. As you may be aware, leaf green is absolutely lousy with poison types among enemy trainers, and while garbage green may not have overworld poison damage, If you have a poisoned pokemon in battle, it will lose 1/8 of it's HP at the end of every turn it remains in, except the turn the opponet's final pokemon is KO'd. As you can imagine, this damage stacks up very very fast, so a pokemon that cannot be poisoned to switch into poison types is critical. Our 4 options on route 3 are Ekans, NidoranM, NidoranF, and Koffing, and for once, these are all pretty decent encounters. Ekans has access to early bite (a special move in this gen), glare, and potentially intimidate, which is excellent. The nidorans both have access to poison point and double kick (fighting damage), Nidoran M is more of a physical attacker, with higher atk and speed, as well as Horn attack at 20, while NidoranF is a more defensive pokemon with higher HP and physical defense, and swapping out that horn attack for Bite. Koffing meanwhile, has the easiest time inflicting the poison status condition with both poison gas (garunteed poison, 55 percent accuracy) and Smog (20 BP poison with 70% accuracy and 40% chance to poison) the strongest early poison stab with Sludge before Misty, and immunity to ground through levitate. So, what did we end up with?

More physical attackers, that's fine, We're hoping not to end up with teddiursa now though. a Ralts would complement our stack of physical attackers quite well. Onward into mt moon for the encounter (Side note, Arsenic the NidoranM has a Neutral nature)

Like every other route in this game, Mt Moon gives us for potential hits, each with their own unique benefit making it one of the strongest early encounter locations. I've already mentioned ralts, who is sitting at a very subpar 198 BST, but brings levelup stab confusion to the table, making it the first special attacker obtainable in GG. it also has access to the excellent setup move Calm Mind at 21 (all setup moves have 1 PP in this game, but its still good) and the incredible psychic, with it's 100% accuracy, 90 base power and whole 2 power points, before Erika and her poison types :D. On the other side of the physical special split, we have Teddiursa. Obviously it won't be evolving, but base 60 HP, 50s in both defensive stats and an 80 base attack are very solid numbers for a trashlocke, even if 40 speed is a little underwhelming. It's attacks are limited to scratch, fury swipes and lick, but it carries secret power quite well, and gets access to rest by level up towards the midgame, and hey, 30% to paralyze isn't nothing. On a similar level of healing is Slakoth. Slakoth is not a great pokemon, it has subpar stats and the truly abysmal truant ability. BUT, it has access at encounter level to the move Slack Off, which is a recovery move that restores 50% of your max HP on use and has 10 power points! So your stuck with a bad pokemon, but you may be able to extend that pokemon's durability for a lot longer, especially because you can switch on a truant turn. Lastly in Mt Moon is Beldum. Beldum?! but Metang is an awesome pokemon great stats and moves, right? how can they give you Beldum? It does not evolve. It will never evolve, it will never learn another move, you have a 300 BST pokemon with Take down as it's only move, until it dies or you stop using it. But, it's a steel type, with the exceptional 11 resistances and an immunity to poison. The next possible steel type encounters (Magnemite and Aron) are locked behind the power plant, all the way after Koga. So there is still very much a use case, even if its not a fantastic mon.
All that being said, what did we actually get?

Ooof, alright then, at least we're not just stacking normal types. It's also got a bold nature, which, in case you forgot, Oxygen also has. It gives -atk and +def, so Iron the beldum has great defenses, but it's ability to cleanly KO mons with takedown will suffer.

Join me next time as we hop down this ledge and begin... THE GAUNTLET

11 mandatory trainer encounters (including a magnemite, Double Geodude+Onix, and the Grimer-Voltorb-Koffing boss fight at the end) and one optional fight for the Thief TM, which isn't mission critical (we don't have an Abra) but still might be useful against Misty's Starmie for super effective damage, especially since we can't just Boom our way past with Pineco.

Mt Moon Part 1

There's no turning back now.
Our first opponents are Lass Iris and her Clefairy with cute charm and doubleslap, and Bug Catcher Kent with a Weedle and Kakuna. (I should also mention I've leveled the entire team to 18, which is the best balance between power and level cap that I've found for this gauntlet, except Iron, who's level 20 because he's quite hard to overlevel, and also more HP to soak take down recoil) Iris isn't a huge problem with Arsenic's Double Kick, which can bring it down in one shot even though Arsenic gets infatuated (the danger of multi hit moves against contact recoil effects, it's not a big problem here but we'll have to be careful going forwards when stuff like poison point, flame body and static come into play).

Sodium easily outspeeds and KOs both Weedle and Kakuna with pecks, and we're free to grab the Star piece and move on to the first major threat in Mt moon, Super Nerd Jovan and his level 11 Magnemite. (He also has a Voltorb, but nobody cares). Now, this Magnemite doesn't have access to the most dangerous technique for a nuzlocke just yet, but Supersonic, Thundershocks for neutral damage and paralysis can still pin you for later trainers, and 70 base defense + a normal resist makes cutting through it quite difficult. Your best options at this point in the game are Bites from Ekans or Double Kick from Nidoran, which we do have access to. Nihonium if they were alive could easily outspeed and OHKO the base power of it's HP Fire was at least 34 (on a move that ranges from 30 to 70), but that won't be an option for us anymore. While anyone in our party can deal with the voltorb (doesn't get spark until 21), Oxygen, Sodium and Hydrogen are all weak to electric and would suffer critical damage from a thundershock that we can't afford, so our only backup is Iron and it's resisted take downs, or getting incredibly lucky with metronome. Still, the only way out is through, so lets get going.

Judging by the damage numbers, this Magnemite must have rolled a -defense nature, because Arsenic is able to defeat it in one hit. Lucky. Still, mindful of static I switch Arsenic for Hydrogen to take out the Voltorb. He eats a Screech on the switch and just misses the kill with a horn attack, but Voltorb politely misses another screech, so we're through without any damage. Still, we pick up the Nugget and continue onwards

Next up is Bug Catcher Robby (Caterpie, Metapod, Caterpie) who's swept by Sodium. On from there is Lass Miram with an Oddish and Bellsprout blocking the side route to Thief. Sometimes a difficult fight, but we have two mons with flying stab, Sodium sweeps right through again, leveling to 19 in the process.

Keep that level in mind by the way, remember this is a hardcore nuzlocke. Misty's Starmie is level 21, if any of our pokemon reach level 22 before the start of the gym battle, they will be completely unusable until she's beaten. This can have the dangerous effect of removing a useable pokemon from your party in the middle of a gauntlet, or taking away a critical mon before they can be used in the boss fight. It's not an especially large concern right at this moment, but keep in mind we need to get through the rest of this gauntlet, the Nugget Bridge/Cerulean North gauntlet and her two gym trainers without hitting that cap.
Anyway, the gauntlets been going incredibly well so far, so I decide to divert for Thief, guarded by unnamed team rocket grunt with Zubat and Ekans. I decide it's better to spend Iron's HP here than risk Arsenic, who's double kicks we still need for the geodudes coming up. It goes pretty well, Iron is at high enough level to oneshot both, at the cost of 14 hp from recoil, and we've received Thief.

Back to the path we have Youngster Josh, with Rattata, Rattata, Zubat. These rattatas have access to quick attack, which can cause permanant damage even at this much of a level disparity (and even worse with a crit) but Arsenic should still be able to one shot. This time at least, neither of them try it, and I send Hydrogen to KO with horn attack. At this level, all it has is astonish and leech life, not even pesky supersonic and we're out without much damage.

The second roadblock of mt moon is Hiker Marcos, his Geodudes and Onix are lower leveled than brocks (not even high enough to get rock throw) but their high defenses and Onix's bind means without a Nidoran for double kick or Ralts with confusion/Abra with thief you can still take a while to cut through. I cut down the first two geodudes no problem (I even crit the first) but the Onix survives. Unfortunately it just misses a bind, tragic. That's it for the first floor of Mt Moon, onwards to the rockets.

The first grunt has Rattata-Sandshrew and I continue to lead Arsenic, who's closing in on level 20 at this point and running out of Double Kicks (6 left). Rattata quick attack does get some damage through, and sandshrew looks like a 3 turn KO at this range and leads off with the bane of RNG, sand attack.

Arsenic hits through on the next turn and receives a scratch in return, and in the interest of preserving EXP, HP and double kicks, I decide to pivot to Iron. It takes a scratch on the switch for a single point of damage (steel type king) and his clear body ability means even if it had been sand attack his accuracy would not have been lowered, which is good when his one attacking move has 85% accuracy

And then..... My emulator force quit. Please excuse the technical difficulties while I force my way back to mt moon. sigh.

Mt Moon Part 2
After a break to regather my stamina, I've returned to MT moon with a party of the same pokemon as before, although they are sporting new natures. Hydrogen is now Impish (-sp atk, +def) Oxygen is now Bashful (neutral) as is Iron, Calcium is Naive (-Spdef, +spd) Sodium is Lonely (-Def +Atk) and Arsenic is Hasty (-Def +Spd) Most of these natures are overally improvements, but with the exception of hydrogen my team is now a lot more fragile, as can be seen by the amount of damage Iron took clearing the same battles as last time

There are new trainers to fight, the rest of the rockets are pretty simple for Arsenic, Hydrogen and Iron to punch through with double kick for Rattatas, horn attack against Zubats, and Take Down punching through sandshrews.

When Arsenic hits level 20, I do decide to start using Oxygen and his fury attack, and put him at risk to a hyper fang, but that only hits for 14 damage, so even with a crit he wasn't going to die.

I then lead him in in the very last fight against Super Nerd Miguel, the "final boss" of Mt Moon, who comes equipped with a Grimer, a Voltorb, and a Koffing. None high enough level to be a serious danger, but both Grimer and Koffing have access to poison gas.

After Oxygen is poisoned, I keep him in against the voltorb for a bit, but switch out before his HP drops to critical, Iron is able to finish the fight from there, and with that, Mt Moon, the first gauntlet in the game, is over.

Heading outside, I pick up the Roar TM, walk past the Mega punch trainer (We'll be coming back for him after SS Anne, that move is useful) and head into the pokemon center to heal back up.
X

As I opened my team sheet, I noticed that Oxygen wasn't poisoned, and then realized that I was an idiot, Oxygen has the ability Natural cure, which cures all status conditions upon switching out (but NOT at the end of a battle if the pokemon stays in, that wasn't added until gen 4) So I had Oxygen take a bunch of poison damage for no reason, I'll have to remember that for the future. I should also mention this time around that my Beldum was holding a metal coat when caught. This is normally a totally reasonable thing to keep access to, Metal coat doesn't help any pokemon evolve, but it does give a 10% damage boost to the steel type attacks of any pokemon holding it. Access to steel type moves is rare, but not completely unusual, Anorith (a potential encounter after Misty) learns metal claw after surge, Onix (a potential encounter in rock tunnel) learns iron tail after Sabrina, and Aron can get both after he's obtainable after Koga, and there's also a Steel wing TM which the majority of flying types in the region can use, accessible in the Safari zone. But, my original Beldum didn't have one, and I didn't nuzlocke up to getting this one, so I tossed it. There will be another obtainable as an optional part of the SS Anne Gauntlet (along with a number of other type boosters).

That's all for now, I'm back into things, I'm taking Save states so I don't just lose all my progress again (unless I wipe) and next time we have a Route 4 encounter, Nugget Bridge Rival, and the Nugget Bridge Gauntlet, including the important Secret Power TM. See ya.

Last edited:
Nugget Bridge Pt 1
To start off, We can acquire our route 4 encounter here. There are, as always, four options. Clamperl is probably the worst, its stats are decent but it's slow and fragile, and it's moveset is completely fixed (other than TM use) it has two trapping moves in Clamp and Whirlpool, your only access to water Stab at this point in the game in Water gun, and the not unreasonable set up move Iron defense. You can also get Mankey, which is decent with good speed and attack, and Karate Chop+Fury Swipes, but that's about it. You also get a second shot at the Hidden power game with Meditite, who has overall worse stats than Mankey but stab confusion is decent if you don't have Abra or Ralts, Detect can help predict your opponents attacks, and it gets Calm Mind after Surge and High Jump Kick (the strongest fighting move you'll have access to for a long while) after Erika. The last option is Shellder, Obviously we won't be getting Cloyster but base 100 defense is nothing to scoff at, it comes pre-equipped with the "lesser" set up move Withdraw to make it even more bulky, and while it doesn't have Ice stab, Icicle spear is a decent special move for this point in the game, and you get Aurora beam after Misty (The only water stab by level up is unfortunately Clamp at 43)

And since we ended up with Shellder named Bromine (a naughty one at that -spdef +atk, one of the worst possible natures as Ice is a special type and it's water resist will be weakened), we'll be making use of that Immediately as an answer to Rival's Pidgeotto.

This gauntlet starts with the Nugget bridge Rival, and has a further 12 mandatory trainers before we reach bill, as well as one Spinner and 2 Optional trainers guarding a Berry.
But before we get to deal with any of that, we need to fight Rival. This battle isn't too tricky yet (SS Anne is where Rival starts really hitting like a truck) but still has a number of pokemon stronger than the surroundings, His Pidgeotto has stab quick attack and gust, his bulbasaur has sleep power, leech seed and vine whip, and his Rattata is bringing hyper fang. Luckily his abra hasn't evolved yet. Bromine is our answer to Pidgeotto, we have two birds and arsenic that can handle Bulbasaur (and Oxygen's natural cure makes sleep powder less game-ending) and if we can get Calcium in on Rattata without tanking a hyper fang (hopefully we can roll a move to kill his abra with metronome) he can charm it down and someone else can take the kill. We'll need to be careful, because any damage or status applied to us here will be permanant for the gauntlet, and Arsenic is also at level 20, just two away from overleveling (and we will be needing that poison safety). You might noticed I haven't mentioned Iron, I've decided to leave him in the box, we have access to two horn attack users and Beldum is much better in boss fights than gauntlets. So, lets get started.

Pidgeotto can be a little annoying with sand attack, and Icicle spear, while super effective, is still working off Shellder's special attack stat without Stab, so it takes a while, but we get through. Then is Bulbasaur, so it's off to Oxygen, and once he's asleep, over to Sodium.

Sodium gets seeded on the switch, so back to Oxygen, gets sleeped, back to Sodium.

Then, the second critical ability, Sodium has Insomnia, making it immune to sleep powder, allowing for a clean kill with Peck

Then Abra comes out, so we switch to Calcium. Once Calcium is in, we start rolling metronome. First, Acid Armor, then Baton pass.... Okay, we can work with this, +2 defense being passed on should make whatever comes in safe enough against rattata, so I'll use Hydrogen.

Unfortunately, stat changes don't protect from crits, but Horn Attack does enough damage, and Rattata doesn't crit again, so we make it through without TRULY unreasonable damage.

Of course, we are now locked in. Rival won't be moving until we talk to Bill.

Next up are the five nugget bridge trainers, first up is a bug catcher (pecks for days) then Lass Ali with her Pidgey (horn attack) Oddish and Bellsprout (More pecks, Oxygen hits 19), The first challenging fight is youngster Timmy with sandshrew (icicle spear crit) and Ekans, now equipped with bite and poison sting. I'll send Oxygen against it first, and then Pivot to Arsenic if Oyxgen is in trouble.

Oxygen does manage to miss several Fury attacks and tank several poison stings, but no poison is forthcoming and he does eventually connect for enough damage to make the followup peck lethal

Next is another Poison user, Lass Reli, with NidoranM and NidoranF, critically as well, these will both be rocking double kick, but no poison stings or bite/horn attack. Our flying types will again be the answer here, especially Oxygen's natural cure if a fury attack triggers poison point.

Oxygen does manage to connect with a huge 5 hit fury attack, but as is the risk with multi hits, gets poisoned for the trouble, off to Arsenic. Peck finishes off NidoranM and then two Horn attacks take out NidoranF

The last of the nugget bridge 5 has a Mankey, but it's late and I'm out of pictures for this post, so we'll pick it up next time, and then on to the rocket and route 25.

Nugget Bridge Pt 2
First off, we have to deal with this Mankey. Mankey has high atk and stab karate chop, and while I do have flyers that can hit for super effective damage, their normal typing means they won't be able to resist Kankey's attacks (because gamefreak decided not to make a pure flying type nonlegendary pokemon until GEN 8! If you want a pokemon that actually resists fighting at this point in the game, you're limited to Ledian, Pineco, your poison type of choice, or Your Psychic type if you have one (Abra, Ralts, Meditite) but keep in mind the physical defense of those pokemon is abysmal (Abra: 15, Ralts: 25: Meditite: 55 but it's special attack is only 40). I lead off with Sodium, who immediately gets hit for massive damage, but he is able to hit back hard, and I use Arsenic to finish the fight.

Next is the Rocket, with Intimidate Ekans and Zubat in the back. I decide to use Oxygen up front and try to sleep the Ekans with sing, which works after only one miss.

And then it's off to Hydrogen who takes both Ekans and Zubat out with Horn attack+peck, taking only scratch damage in return. Next I pick up the Attract TM (a decent status effect, but more useful on female pokemon and I don't really want to use it on shellder) and grab the hidden Pecha berry before moving on to the next section of the gauntlet. Next there's a spinner with an onix who is possible to avoid, but I screw it up and have to use shellder's Icicle spear to get out of it, but not before she takes critical damage

After that is Youngster Joey with a Rattata (Double Kick) and Spearow (Horn attack from Hydrogen). After that we have Youngster dan and his level 17 slowpoke, a dangerous special attacker with stab water gun and confusion. We won't be able to use Arsenic here, so my plan is to use a rare candy to pump Oxygen up to level 20, and hope for flinch hacks with Astonish.

It doesn't work out fantastically, Oxygen has to tank a water gun and a Confusion, but we get through, now with our second pokemon in the red.

Next up is Hiker Nob with three Geodudes and a Machop. I plan to let Arsenic clean up here, he shouldn't quite be at risk of overleveling yet. He's able to clear two geodudes without issue, tanks a rock throw killing the third, but still solidly in the yellow as we move on to the machop, which he resists.

Once we're through there, it's on to Camper Flint, and his Rattata and Ekans. I level Hydrogen up to 20, and plan to lead calcium to charm down the opponents and roll metronome, before switching to Hydrogen if it's risky (Arsenic is now only about two and a half pokemon from overleveling)

The plan goes well at first, but then, on the turn Rattata is to fall asleep from Yawn, it crits Calcium down to 1 hp, so.... over to the backup plan. Hydrogen is able to take out Rattata in 2 hits (without a crit, it's hyper fangs are dealing 3 damage at -6 atk) and Ekans comes out. He brings Hydrogen into the red with a bite, but we outspeed, so he's finished off with a second horn attack.

Now we can pick up one of the strongest early game tools in Garbage Green, Secret Power. A 70 Base power normal type move with 100% accuracy and a 30 percent chance to inflict a variety of status conditions depending on the battle location, including flinching in caves, and paralysis in "building" fights, which includes all gyms, and a number of upcoming gauntlets like SS Anne, Rocket Hideout, and Silph Co.

There are also two optional trainers here guarding a Berry, but with our team as beat up as it is, we are in no position to take on two Nidoran and another Machop. We'll have to come back after Surge. This is the last time we'll be able to do this, future gauntlets with optional pickups will lock us out if we leave without collecting them.

All that's left after this is two more fights, Youngster Chad with Ekans-Sandshrew and Lass Haley with Oddish-Pidgey-Oddish. I Tick Hydrogen up to level 21, and lead with him to reduce Arsenics XP gain against Chad.

I connect with a supersonic, but Hydrogen is hit.

Arsenic nearly finishes the sandshrew off but...

Yeah. That's pretty bad news. Goldeen is able to come back out and outspeed for the kill, but losing our poison type bodes ill for the future. Regardless, only one fight stands between us and two more encounters, so I level up Sodium and prep to kill some bushes. Oddish 1 goes down without too much trouble.

But I whiff two hypnosis against the pidgey, who is equipped with quick attack and may be able to wipe the whole run right here. I don't have anything that can switch in, so Sodium needs to go down after getting off one tackle. Oxygen might be able to survive a quick attack but a peck won't kill, so I'm forced to risk Fury Attack, which lands, but doesn't quite kill (damn 2 hitters) and now we're definetely in range to quick attack, but we still don't have a plan B.

No quick attack, and Pidgey goes down, one Oddish left, Oxygen and Hydrogen will both outspeed, but Oxygen may fall if absorb crits.

Does it crit....... no! Oxygen survives and KOs on the next turn, and we're through Cerulean north with only two losses. But at this point you'll be able to see how even with basic moves and basic mons, the structure of the Gauntlets combined with the trash we have access to makes losing pokemon much easier than you'd think with only a couple bad rolls of the dice.

That's all for now, next time, two more encounters and then a battle against Misty

VS Gym Leader Misty
Lets start off by sending off Arsenic and Sodium

o7 You two

Next, lets pick up my new two encounters from Route 24 and Route 25. (there is a brief trainer fight to get to the route 24 grass, but I just punch through it with Iron)
Route 24 provides a water type of various qualities, Our options are Seel (thick fat, heatbutt and icy wind, solid pick, learns rest by level up but no water stab and pretty slow) Mudkip (a decent physical attacker, access to mud slap before surge, water stab, but doesn't evolve) Surskit (awful stats but 5 resistances, and stab bubble and bubblebeam) and Luvdisc (weak but quite quick, access to swift swim, stab water gun and charm) And we ended up wiiiiiith

An Adamant Surskit i've named Zinc. Adamant is the best nature for a physical attacker (+atk, -spatk) buut surskit is a mixed attacker so meh. Still, Quick attack will be way more useful against misty then bubble anyway.

Next up on route 25 are a surfeit of normal types, there's Meowth (the speedy mixed attacker with early bite and level up access to fakeout after sabrina) Eevee, with okay bases and an eventual evolution into flareon without stone (although it's moveset is trash in both forms) Aipom, the fast and strong physical attacker who carries secretpower quite well, and Skitty, the supporting pokemon with bad stats and a medium moveset but level up access to attract, a 100% accurate status move which inflicts a condition that causes a 50% fail chance every single turn when used on a pokemon of the opposite gender.

We got a skitty, darn. Aipom would have been great here, but Hafnium is alright, it's female which is certainly the better gender to use attract with, but unfortunately Starmie and Staryu are gender unknown and thus attract is worthless here.

Anyway, the two misty gym trainers have been made mandatory, but they're not very difficult and I can heal inbetween so we'll skip over them.

But now we come up to Misty herself and I don't have a great plan. I kinda just have to go for it. I'll be leading with Oxygen and Fury attack.

I manage to knock staryu down to red HP as it sets up hardens but then Misty heals and confuses Oxygen, hits Bromine very hard, and then Hydrogen manages to connect with supersonic.

Staryu just ignores the confusion and connects with a water pulse to confuse me. which I hurt myself with, of course. Hafnium goes down in the process of bringing down Staryu and I'm defintely in a position to wipe to starmie. Iron stares it down.

Iron connects with one Take down, then falls. Bromine goes down. Oxygen connects for 2 fury attacks, then falls. Hafnium hits 4 doubleslaps, and then goes down. All that's left is Hydrogen

And it's back to the beginning. Join me the next time I make it back to misty with a brand new party.

Back