In The Grim Darkness Of The 41st Millennium, Nobody Beats G.I. Joe!

Are you going to use the old theory that the Tyrannids are not invading the Milky Way, but instead are running from something worse, and which may be following them?

And so America Organitron saves the day and leaves a world in a better place and with a brighter future than when they arrived.

Though the situation with Devoir is kind of odd to me. Because planetary wars against the Tyranids tend to go one of two ways very quickly.

First the Tyranids build up enough steam that they overrun the defenders, devour all the biomass and the fleet leaves.
The second is if the defenders are strong/fast enough that they hit the Tyranid landing sites before they reach that critical mass and grind them down. At this point the hive fleet is likely to leave because the Tyranids are in this for biomass and if the amount they invest starts becoming more than they will/may get, they don't bother to stay around.

He spoke to his radio as he left the jail. "Ready the Space Bridge. Send Leonidas, Cortoban and Rastapopoulos to Earth for custody."
Hm, while I understand the need for demonstrable intel on the Imperium and the 40k galaxy, I can't help feel this might backfire in the long run.

For one, with actual Imperial prisoners on-hand, how easy would it be for a subverter to get access to any of them and say, "Hey, wanna get out of here? Well first, how about I tell you about Cobra…?"

For another, if any of them manage to escape, the first thing they'll see is a civilization that is as heretic as humanity gets, and while they may be criminals now, the Imperial Guard can forgive a lot of sins if they bring word of a heretic world to crusade all over.
Because I highly doubt the governments of Earth would manage to persuade everyone to keep their true worship and beliefs private, if Organitron has no actual Imperial presence.

Fighting Tyranids might actually trip the Joes up a bit. Unlike the Orks, they can't really use their (what I am going to call, for lack of any better term) "tactical psychological warfare". All the fast-talking manipulation and exploitation of Ork psychology they were able to use against them to fantastic effect over the campaign is totally useless against the space locusts. I'm interested in seeing how the Joes will adapt.

I wonder if the Tyranid-infested world has any Genestealer cults to deal with. Honestly, Tyranids are really good at pulling the rug out from under you when you least expect it with that kind of change in tactics.

Forget the Tyrannids, it's the Genestealers they have to worry about.

the new codex introduces the Biophagus. Their role? Combined medic and bio-scientist, in the aid of spreading the Genestealer virus. To the extent, they don't even need The Kiss anymore. All it takes is the right tweaks made to a hive's water supply, a few alterations to a planet's meat imports, and eventually, inexorably, and without any fuss whatsoever...

So I'm not the only one on SV who watches Beau of The Fifth Column's Youtube channel...

And so America Organitron saves the day and leaves a world in a better place and with a brighter future than when they arrived.

Though the situation with Devoir is kind of odd to me. Because planetary wars against the Tyranids tend to go one of two ways very quickly.

First the Tyranids build up enough steam that they overrun the defenders, devour all the biomass and the fleet leaves.
The second is if the defenders are strong/fast enough that they hit the Tyranid landing sites before they reach that critical mass and grind them down. At this point the hive fleet is likely to leave because the Tyranids are in this for biomass and if the amount they invest starts becoming more than they will/may get, they don't bother to stay around.
Generally speaking, the situation with Devoir (and the other two Tyranid-infested worlds in the Xanadu Sector) is:
-Small remnants of a larger hive-fleet made an emergency landing on these worlds.
-Tyranid force was insufficient to overwhelm Imperium forces, and thus engaged in guerrilla warfare, gather biomass in parts of the planet the Imperial Guard and PDF struggled to reach.
-Sector Command sent enough Imperial Guard to keep Tyranids in check... but never enough to actually finish the Tyranids, on account that there's dozens of fronts dealing with Orks and Chaos and they need soldiers too.
-And thus begins a cycle: Every few decades, the Tyranids gather enough numbers that it looks like they're going to overwhelm the planet, so Sector Command sends a surge of reinforcements. Then, as soon as Tyranid numbers are back down to manageable numbers, someone in Sector Command goes "OK, emergency passed, now let's direct the next batch of regiments to this other front I consider more urgent".
And the Tyranids are fine with keeping this cycle going because they figure... sooner or later, the humans are going to slip up.

Hm, while I understand the need for demonstrable intel on the Imperium and the 40k galaxy, I can't help feel this might backfire in the long run.

For one, with actual Imperial prisoners on-hand, how easy would it be for a subverter to get access to any of them and say, "Hey, wanna get out of here? Well first, how about I tell you about Cobra…?"

For another, if any of them manage to escape, the first thing they'll see is a civilization that is as heretic as humanity gets, and while they may be criminals now, the Imperial Guard can forgive a lot of sins if they bring word of a heretic world to crusade all over.
Because I highly doubt the governments of Earth would manage to persuade everyone to keep their true worship and beliefs private, if Organitron has no actual Imperial presence.
Here's the thing: There are no Astropaths on Organitron. The only ways for someone in the Solar System to contact someone outside of the Solar System are 1)The Imperium embassy, which Organitron set up on Pluto and is extremely carefully guarding access to, precisely in case someone gets bright ideas about tattling to the Imperium, and 2)Cybertronian FTL comm tech, and the only people with the technology to pick up that phone are G.I. Joe.
Honestly, if someone from Organitron decides to tattle to the Imperium, their attempt to do so wouldn't be significantly helped by Leonidas/Cortoban/Rastapopoulos, any of whom would struggle to convince the Imperium they are who they claim they are. I mean, two of them are supposed to be dead.

I wonder if the Tyranid-infested world has any Genestealer cults to deal with. Honestly, Tyranids are really good at pulling the rug out from under you when you least expect it with that kind of change in tactics.
Oh, there absolutely are Genestealer cults. They're as much a front of the war as the jungle fighting.
I mean. It's a Knight World, with thousand of mechas that can each duel a Carnifex. The Tyranids figured out pretty early on that direct assault in open terrain was not the way to win here.

Last edited:
Hmm. I have to ask are there any plans to have Cybertronians appear in the quest, or are they going to remain a background element only? It would be really interesting to see how the Robots in Disguise would react to all of these events.
Generally speaking, the situation with Devoir (and the other two Tyranid-infested worlds in the Xanadu Sector) is:
-Small remnants of a larger hive-fleet made an emergency landing on these worlds.
-Tyranid force was insufficient to overwhelm Imperium forces, and thus engaged in guerrilla warfare, gather biomass in parts of the planet the Imperial Guard and PDF struggled to reach.
-Sector Command sent enough Imperial Guard to keep Tyranids in check... but never enough to actually finish the Tyranids, on account that there's dozens of fronts dealing with Orks and Chaos and they need soldiers too.
-And thus begins a cycle: Every few decades, the Tyranids gather enough numbers that it looks like they're going to overwhelm the planet, so Sector Command sends a surge of reinforcements. Then, as soon as Tyranid numbers are back down to manageable numbers, someone in Sector Command goes "OK, emergency passed, now let's direct the next batch of regiments to this other front I consider more urgent".
And the Tyranids are fine with keeping this cycle going because they figure... sooner or later, the humans are going to slip up.
I see. Sounds like the Hivemind assigned a pretty intelligent Hive Tyrant here - not the Swarmlord or they'd all be dead, but one smart enough to completely switch their normal tactics. That's going to be a challenge for the Joes-how will they handle it, I wonder?

Hmm. I have to ask are there any plans to have Cybertronians appear in the quest, or are they going to remain a background element only? It would be really interesting to see how the Robots in Disguise would react to all of these events.
The Autobots all went to Cybertron, and G.I. Joe Earth promptly got slurped into another dimension. Sure, if you obsessively pool over the original IDW comic run you can probably find something that'll justify Transformers showing up... but that's kinda not the point. This is about G.I. Joe, the perky, upbeat, positive patriotism that existed in between Vietnam and The War On Terror. Updated to being actually positive, inclusive, and giving a shit about other people being free.

Transformers in 40k has its own stuff out there.

Lictors and Hybrid Genestealers would probably be some of the tougher things they need to fight.

Maybe the hardest would be those Genestealers hybrids that looks completely human.

It just hit me that the name Organitron is the opposite of Cybertron, and I started laughing hard.

I'm more concerned that the Joe's are going to be tricked by the Tyrannids.

Imperium Military Doctrine: A G.I. Joe Primer

Imperium Military Doctrine: A G.I. Joe Primer

"The wars of this galaxy are many and varied, but SIGINT has allowed us some glimpses into usual Imperium military operation conduct.

"To the extent that any battlefield can be considered 'typical', a typical war-torn Imperium planet will feature at any given time something on the order of a thousand Imperial Guard regiments, which in theory averages to around a hundred million Guardsmen; this is in addition to the local PDF (if the planet in question is an Imperial one being invaded rather than a planet the Imperium is invading), which can in certain circumstances outnumber the Imperial Guard several times over - though more often than most, the PDF suffers from inferior logistics, training, discipline and organization, leaving the Imperial Guard as the more impactful of the two (I must stress that this is a general rule, not an absolute one; PDF combat-readiness varies wildly from world to world).

"The above numbers do not apply to major hive-worlds and forge-worlds, where the number of active combatants can easily reach ten digits.

"On paper, Imperial Guard regiments average 100,000 Guardsmen. I must stress 'on paper'; in reality, both the vagaries of losses and reinforcements as well as a lack of organizational standardization mean that regiments operating with less than 10,000 people and others with over half a million members are not unheard of (though the latter will usually be penal regiments).

"Each regiment has a designation as to its primary function - line infantry, siege infantry, armored regiments, drop regiments, hunter-killer regiments, and so on. Those designation largely affect what material the regiment has access to - or rather, in what quantity. As such, high command generally prefers to consider logistics on a 'per million Guardsmen' basis. With that in mind, doctrine holds that ideally, for every million Guardsmen, there ought to be:

-10,000 APCs, most of which will be Chimeras, for the purpose of quickly positioning troops in hostile territory and providing them with a measure of cover.

-5,000 scouting vehicles, mostly Sentinels. These are often adapted to kill light enemy armor as well.

-5,000 tanks, of which 2,000 are main battle tanks like the Leman Russ and the rest are light tanks like the Hellhound.

-3,000 artillery units, at least two thirds of which are self-propelled such as the Basilisk.

-5 superheavy tanks, meaning the Baneblade or one of its variants, which act as mobile bunkers that can penetrate enemy lines and kill even enemy armor, breaking hostile defenses while smaller armor and infantry follow. If this number seems low, keep in mind that the Baneblade borders on archeotech status and most planets don't have the capability to manufacture it, to the point where 5 superheavy tanks per million Guardsmen is in fact a rarely-attained ideal; 3 per million is generally considered acceptable. The addition or subtraction of 300 Baneblades is considered enough to significantly alter most planets' balance of power.

-1,500 Valkyries, which fulfill double duties as gunships and fast troop transports. It should be noted that Valkyries, like all air vehicles larger than grav-chutes, answer to the Aeronautica, which itself answers to the Imperial Navy, whose ability and willingness to coordinate with the Imperial Guard tends to be haphazard; while regimental commanders can usually rely on the Aeronautica to follow their plans, the actual presence of the Aeronautica is not a guarantee.

-500 air fighters, typically Thunderbolts, which act both as interceptors and close air support.

-500 bombers, typically Marauders, which act as both strategic and tactical bombers while boasting significant air defense capabilities.

-2,000 Tempestus Scionis, elite soldiers trained at the Schola Progenium for the purpose of special operations behind enemy lines. It is not unheard of for individual regiments to also establish their own, internal elite squads, but these rarely approach the Stormtroopers in importance.

-50 political officers of the Commissariat (generally, one Commissar per regiment and a number of Commissar Cadets to assist them).

-10 Sanctioned Psykers, typically trained in countering enemy Psykers and unleashing supernatural flame attacks; the more powerful Psykers are also expected to provide intelligence on enemy movements.

-2,000 Adeptus Mechanicus members, at least 100 of which ought to be Tech-Priests and the rest Engineseers, to maintain the Guard's machinery.

"Worth noting, of course, that the configuration listed above is based not only on what works best in battle, but also on the industrial limits of the Imperium; flak vests and Lasguns are, after all, far cheaper to mass-produce than Leman Russ tanks.

"In addition to the above, there exist other forces outside of the Imperial Guard's control that fight the Imperium's land battles. They are listed as follows:

"Titans are colossal bipedal weapon platforms under Adeptus Mechanicus control. They range from Warhounds (which are around 45 feet tall) to the Emperor-Class (which tend toward 130 feet tall). Our intelligence and engineering divisions have expressed strong skepticism as to the cost-benefit ratio of these monstrosities, but the Adeptus Mechanicus is enamored with them for theological reasons. They do have the merit of concentrating immense firepower in a single, extremely-well-armored mobile platform, which makes most enemy fortifications untenable if they can get in range. Doctrine holds that the deployment of a single Emperor-Class Titan supported by a hundred smaller ones is enough to control the tides of a planet's battlefields, provided they are supporting millions of soldiers (be they the Imperial Guard or Skitarii).

"Imperial Knights are also bipedal weapon platforms, though less gigantic and dependent on the aristocracy of Knight Worlds rather than the Adeptus Mechanicus. Knights are close to Baneblades in size and slightly inferior to them in combat ability, but superior in their ability to negotiate hazardous terrain; they primarily serve as armor-killers. Much as with superheavy tanks, the presence of 300 Knights on a planet is enough to significantly support a hundred million Guardsmen.

"The Skitarii are the infantry of the Adeptus Mechanicus. In training, competence and organization, they are comparable to the Imperial Guard; however, they are far better-equipped, and furthermore augmented with extensive bionics. As such, a Skitarii force is generally equivalent to an Imperial Guard force between 5 and 10 times more numerous.

"The Sisters Of Battle are an elite order of militant nuns that, at least in theory, takes marching orders from the Ecclesiarchy, and - thanks to the latter's fabulous wealth - benefits from some of the best equipment around, including power armor available to all their combatants. Combine that with training that surpasses the Tempestus Scionis, and the Sororitas are an exceptionally elite force, able to quickly deploy strikes where the enemy is strongest. As such, doctrine holds that the deployment of one Sororitas per 10,000 Guardsmen on a planet is enough to effectively double the forces the Imperial Guard is able to fight back, thanks to the Sororitas performing special operations to cripple the enemy's ability to organize its force.

"The Space Marines are, in essence, an even more elite counterpart to the Sisters Of Battle, benefiting from high-end biological augmentation and in some cases centuries of experience. They tend to operate in politically-independent Chapters of 1,000 Marines (of course, losses and the very, very long time it takes to augment and train new recruits means the actual number of active Marines is always below 1,000, sometimes dangerously so); each Chapter is comprised of ten Companies, each of which is often sent to a given planet on its own. Thanks to the exceptional abilities of the Astartes, current doctrine holds that the deployment of one Space Marine per million Guardsmen is enough to double the Guard's fighting capabilities, just like the presence of 100 Sororitas per million Guardsmen (this should not be taken to mean that an Astartes could beat 100 Sororitas in a fight, or even 5 Sororitas; it is only a reflection of their strategic impact)."

Nice, update
What steps is organitron taking to build their own navy? Are they building a shipyard somewhere in interstellar space orbiting a rouge planet/gas giant.

Hmm, all pretty much accurate. I always figured that in more high scale war zones, the proportion of mechanised and elite units starts rising rapidly - Armageddon, as an example, canonically uses mechanised infantry almost exclusively- but this seems about what I'd expect from an "average" siege. Amusingly, the Joes are actually underestimating marines a little - in most lore I have read outside tabletop, a Tactical Marine absolutely would be able to 5v1 Battle Sisters. Lore Marines are slightly absurd, kinda like Lore Master Chief.

I always wondered who's idea it was to put the Aeronautica under Navy command. It doesn't seem like the sort of mistake Guiliman would make. As it is, this routinely leads to Navy commanders filling all the bays meant to carry atmospheric units with more Fury and Starhawk squadrons, so half the time the Guard doesn't even have any actual air support. And yes, once again, the Imperial Navy does in fact use strikecraft. That one spacebattle sequence still kinda immersion breaks me.

Last edited:
Because they're silly action figures for kids you really forget the idea was for them to be heroes, real heroes. A collection of the best at being the best humanity can offer.

Nice, update
What steps is organitron taking to build their own navy? Are they building a shipyard somewhere in interstellar space orbiting a rouge planet/gas giant.
They have to be very careful about this, because they didn't have any space fleet besides the Flag when the Imperium delegation came, and it would look extremely suspicious if next time an Imperium ship showed up (to, say, get the tithe) they suddenly did.
So, they've been building up some modest defenses in orbit - the sort that could credibly be built in a couple years by a non-Forge World planet. They've been building anti-orbital cannons and missiles. They've been creating a large number of space-capable fighter/bomber squadrons. And, yes, they've built a shipyard about a lightyear from Organitron, where they're building additional ships (most of which are significantly smaller than Imperium escort ships, but carry a devastating compelement of ship-to-ship missiles); having good, reliable Cybertronian FTL that can across this sort of distance in minutes is a godsend.
With that said, Organitron is entirely aware that while they can achieve incredible efficiency by Imperium standard, the Imperium can still crush them with numbers. If an actual war starts, they can hopefully take out the initial Imperial Navy fleet, but odds are they can't take the second, much less the third (though they'd likely be spaced by months, even years). All of these measures are there to buy time in case the long con breaks down (...Or an Ork fleet reaches Organitron or whatever, it's a dangerous galaxy).
But the secret shipyard in the space between stars has an additional purpose. That purpose being, to house a population of tens of thousands, and growing. Should the worst come to pass, they'll be the last survivors of Organitron.

Because they're silly action figures for kids you really forget the idea was for them to be heroes, real heroes. A collection of the best at being the best humanity can offer.
Certainly they were that way in the cartoon.
Meanwhile, the RPG source book has the following line: "We're going to beat Cobra, and to do that, we can't just be the best military unit. We have to be the most clever. The most determined. The most unpredictable. If Cobra gets away with breaking the rules then we need Joes who can see every way a rule can be broken. Joes who can be trusted to break some rules when following the rules isn't the same as doing what's right. Because G.I. Joes are heroes."
And in my own interpretation, some of the big factors Hawk considered when recruiting members for G.I. Joe were "if I create a military unit that fosters outside-the-box thinking and initiative, and encourages some wildly divergent personalities and mindsets that would struggle to fit in in any other military unit so that we can always have someone come up with the right idea... would they still be able to work together with proper unit cohesion and discipline? ...Well, if I recruit genuinely good people and encourage them to be friends, then we actually might."

In other words, Friendship Is Victory. :p

My Little Pony does seem to come up in this thread pretty often for a Warhammer story.

I await the scene where the Emperor drops his illusion spell to reveal he's actually Nightmare Moon.

It's best that the Navigator Houses don't find out about it. Last time someone made non-Warp FTL possible, he got killed and his work destroyed because it threatened their status quo of being useful to the Imperium as the guide of its ships through the Astronomicon.

Which might explain why Big E kept the Imperial Webway an absolute secret as it would have rendered the Navigators obsolete if it was completed and used by the Imperium. Before Magnus the Red go Kool Aid Man on it courtesy of Tzeentch and ruined His work.

It's best that the Navigator Houses don't find out about it. Last time someone made non-Warp FTL possible, he got killed and his work destroyed because it threatened their status quo of being useful to the Imperium as the guide of its ships through the Astronomicon.
I knew there was something involving Navigators shutting down the fancy warp computers that would've rendered them obsolete, but a whole-ass other method of FTL? I need a source on that one chief, that is big.

Back