Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

While not the first Original Story I've written, this is the one that I'm trying to keep writing. Of course, because of my own personal foibles new Chapters can be weeks apart. But it is one of the few Original Stories I've written that isn't a Quest that I keep coming back to. So, I guess that's a good start.

I originally uploaded this to RoyalRoad under the Username; The Imperial. Saying this now so no one thinks that I'm some plagiarist ripping this from RR.
Summary and Explanations

LinkOnScepter

The One who Strangles Concepts to death
Story Summary:

I want you to imagine this, alright? You're an Arch Demon Summoner. One of the most powerful people to ever exist in your city. You are literally the only one who can even attempt to summon any of the Ninth Circle Demons that even your boss has trouble handling. And you've done a good job for over twenty years. Fighting demons, capturing them, and bringing them back to the Demon Tech factories that keep your city working. It's cost you one leg and shaved who knowns how many years off your life span, but hey someone's gotta do it.

You'd imagine that eventually you'd get to retire, right? Get to say "Screw This" and go spend the rest of your days at home waiting till you finally kick the bucket, while the next Generation deals with this crap?

Well think again.

Instead your boss sends you over to freaking Angel city, to live with five of their "Chosen Ones" that haven't stepped outside of their glowing white city walls since the day they were born, to prevent an "International Incedent" from happening!

If you managed to imagine all that, then you've got a perfect picture of the situation I'm in.

Oh well. I only gotta be here for two years. What the worst that could happen?

...Why did I say that?

Join Crowley as he attempts to keep his mind intact while acting as the only adult in the room to a bunch of naive Magical Girls and Boys. Will he be able to keep his sanity? Will his presence prevent a War from breaking out? Or will he just make the situation worse?

Many of the explanations will be in the Thread Header/Index. Here I'll be giving a few specifics on the creation/thought behind this story:

Inspiration: This is inspired by a Greentext Story I read/heard read a few times now. The basic premise is that the OP was sold a Grimdark Shin Megami Tensei-esque Campaign by his GM. He proceeded to make an Archeologist Demon Summoner that's perfect for that kind of world. He gets to the game...and finds out that everyone else has made Magical Girls and the Campaign is going to be a Monster Of The Week style Anime romp. He doesn't back down and plays anyway. Hijinks ensue.

It got me thinking about a story like that. A story about an Old Demon Summoning Badass being forced to watch over/fight with Sailor Moon Style Magical Girls. Not the Madoka Magica kind though. And eventually this story was born.

Setting: The main parts of the Setting are two cities (though I'm playing with the idea of adding a third one later). One is the City of Demon Summoners. Here they Summon Demons to power their electronics, cars, and basically treat them as free labor. In contrast, the City of Magical Girls is ran by Angels that choose little girls and boys to become their Champions and fight evil. I work on the Setting as I write the story, so I'm not gonna gab about it further here.

POV: If you've followed any of my writings, you'll notice I tend to write in Third Person Omniscient. This story is my attempt at writing in a completely First Person Narrative. It's not perfect, but I think it's a good way to step out of my comfort zone. And I always wanted to give the "Noir Narration" style a try.

Why Post It Here?: I dunno. More attention to the story? More likely to get feedback that isn't just comments or reviews? Really, I just felt like doing so. I do hope those of you who read this enjoy the story at least.

Last edited:
Chapter 1: A Routine Job
The garbage bag sailed over my head as I walked down the rain-slicked sidewalk. I rolled my eyes as the bastard I was after ducked around a corner, his spaded tail disappearing behind the brick wall. Footsteps came up behind me until the poor rat got close enough to see the back of my coat. I scoffed as their steps started to fade into the distance. At least they were smart enough to run when they saw a Summoner, unlike some the other morons I dealt with on the daily.

I cracked my neck and started after my target. The clack of my black cane against the concrete reached my ears, reminding me of all the times I've done this same song and dance. I sighed as I rounded the corner he had taken. It led to an alleyway filled with broken beer glasses, pieces of broken windows, and the odd homeless person living out their broken lives. One made a few spastic motions in my direction while spouting nonsensical gibberish at me through cracked, bloody lips. I ignored him and focused on my target ahead.

The demon had run out of places to hide. It scrabbled at the brick wall at the end of the alleyway. Its claws racked the brownish rocks, but couldn't find purchase on the rain-slicked obstruction. If I wasn't on the job, I would've sat down and laughed at the poor bastard as he slowly realized the futility of his actions. But today I'm on business. And when I was on business, the job came first.

I whistled at the scaly blue bastard who froze when he heard me. I could hear the rusty gears in his head grinding against each other trying to come up with something to say. I rolled my eyes while walking up to him, stopping when he was a good ten feet from me, "Ok, Hufmag. You know how this goes. Make this easy for both of us and...you're not even listening are you?"

His flinch gave me all the answers I needed. He slowly turned around, revealing his ugly, reptile-like face. The rain made the dirt on his scales cascade off in a droplet of filth. His clawed hands flexed along with his wide, slightly webbed feet. His tail spasmed through the air behind him in obvious panic. When he turned around I found myself once again being thankful demons don't have anything between their legs. Usually, at least.

"Why, Crowley," I scoffed as he said my name, "sorry about that back there. You know it's very difficult to see in this rain."

"It's not too bad," I shrugged while tapping my cane against the ground, "I managed to see your blue ass all through it." I needed to keep him talking for a bit. One minute would be enough. Luckily, Hufmag loved to talk. Particularly about himself. And I could use that to get a confession out of him, "What are you even doing out here?"

"This and that," the demon started pacing back and forth while keeping his literal button eyes on me, "you know just stretching my legs for a bit. Nothing worth sending a Summoner after me for."

"Really? Cause I got a report that a Demon Energy Tech was found dead in his office yesterday morning."

"Don't see what that has to do with me," the bastard's shrug made my blood boil, but I didn't let it show. He wanted to get a rise out of me, and I wasn't going to give it to him.

"He was in the same sector of the city you were in, around the same time you were scheduled to power the place."

"Pure coincidence."

"He was assigned to watch you, and you were spotted running from the Power Seal Facility right when his body was discovered."

"I had a prior arrangement that I had to take care of. The facility allows you break time if you ask for it."

I held up a finger, "If you put in a form for it. You never did. Your story isn't holding up Hufmag." His face shifting between fear, anger, surprise, and despair made me chuckle. Demons like him never think their "outings" all the way through. It makes them predictable and easy to catch.

The main issue was how they acted when they had their backs against the wall. I believe an appropriate comparison would be to a cornered wolf. Dangerous and desperate. A deadly combination. I just needed to keep him talking for a few more minutes.

The blue monster tried and failed to hide a sneer behind a thick-skinned claw, "Those things never work. I needed to get out pronto, otherwise, I'd miss....um...my brother's first summoning! You know how important that is for us Demons!"

I rolled my eyes while leaning on my cane, "Pretty sure you don't have a brother, and even if you did you could've afforded to miss his summoning." A light blue glow appeared out of the corner of my eye. I smiled at the sight while straightening my posture, "That's enough stalling, Hufmag. Come quietly and no one gets hurt."

The demon stopped moving, chest rising as his skin began to glow a dark blue. The light reflected off the puddles of water that formed below his clawed feet. With a deep, threatening chuckle, Hufmag spoke, "Now, Crowley. You know its not right to lie to a demon."

I tilted my head as the demon got down on its haunches. In my head, I started to count backward from ten. By five he started blowing puffs of smoke from his nostrils. When I got to one he struck the ground with his tail and pounced right at me, his claws lighting up in the dark alleyway. I waited until he hit the apex of his jump, then tapped my cane against the ground twice.

The familiar smell of sulfur made me smile.

Two pairs of chains shot from the ground around me. Steam came from their blue flames as they wrapped themselves around Hufmag. The monster fell, unceremoniously hitting the pavement with a hard crack. I saw a tooth fly from his mouth and land at my feet. I picked it up, turning it over in my hands as my demons crawled their way out of the ever-growing circles at my sides. I heard the various homeless people behind me fleeing from their appearance.

Good. Less chance of them getting in my way.

The demons, Binders, at my sides finished climbing from their summoning circles. They had no heads or arms, instead, flames flew above their necks while their arms were replaced by flaming chains. Their bodies were covered in black straps that kept any hint of skin hidden from view.

I tilted my head at Hufmag, "You didn't let me finish. No one gets hurt, besides you."

"That's still a lie, damn it!" Hufmag struggled in his bonds.

"No, it's a half-truth. There's a difference. And don't bother struggling, the chains'll just get tighter," as if to prove my words, the chains wrapped around him a second time. He stopped moving after that.

His eyes shot between the two Binders at my sides, "So, this is what you two are doing now huh? Kuggath, Zigin."

I knew what he was trying to do. Trying to turn my demons against me by drawing upon their familiarity. Bit surprised that he knew these two, but it wasn't completely out of the ballpark.

I look at both Binders out of the corners of my eyes as I talk, "You're wasting your time, Hufmag. These two are pretty cold-hearted towards demons when a contract's involved. Isn't that right?" The two shook their chains which I took to mean yes. I started to walk forward while reaching behind me for the brand, "Now, let's get you to the Punishment Corp."

Everything was going just fine for me. I found my target, had him dead to rights and was gonna be able to get home in time to enjoy some much needed R&R.

Which I why I should've seen the next thing coming.

I don't know how I didn't see it. An empty stray can some poor bastard was probably eating out of, rolling right in front of my path. Maybe the rain clouded my vision, or I was so focused on getting this done and heading home that I stopped paying attention to my surroundings.

What I did wrong didn't matter.

What did matter was how I stepped on the can with my bad left leg. The lose of balance made me misplace my cane, and I ended up hitting the solid, silvertip on my tender kneecap.

Pain instantly shot through the limb into the rest of my body. I cried out while falling to one knee, cane falling to the wet floor. I closed my eyes while my hands gripped my knee, grunting while trying to let it pass. My entire being was focused on dealing with the pain lancing across my frame.

I would've been dead if it hadn't been for the Binders.

Something small whistled past my ear, making my eyes shoot open. I looked up at Hufmag. His tail was up and its spaded tip was missing. He wasn't looking at me, but at the Binder to my left who had loosened its grip to throw off the angle of his shot. I reached up and touched my cheek, warm blood flowing across my fingers.

Ignoring my throbbing knee I stood up, grabbing my cane from the ground nearby. I heard Hufmag gulp as I stepped forward. I lifted my cane and placed the end on his forehead. He chuckled nervously as I thumbed a button on the tip.

The smell of brimstone, burning flesh, and the sound of a demon screaming in agony filled the alleyway.

A nice memory that I could sleep on.

Chapter 2: Called Away From Home
I winced while rubbing the tender part of my bad leg. I had it propped up on pillows I kept on the couch for this exact reason. The dark blue cushions felt good against my heel. I unconsciously placed my cane across my lap. Sighing in relief I lean back against the long couch. Being the only Arch Summoner did have it's perks, like having the biggest salary in the whole damn city. Then again, most don't live long enough to even get this far. Most of the poor fuckers end up dying before they hit thirty, or end up in "Voluntary Retirement". Which was a fancy way of saying "you're damaged goods and we can't afford to keep you on, so here's a shitty little retirement fund that'll be gone in a month."

I closed my eyes, shaking my head at the absurdity of it all while staring up at my solid gray ceiling. The rain hadn't let up yet, beating an uneven rhythm against my windows. I had the curtains pulled closed to muffle the racket. Didn't accomplish much, but it was less noise in my ears. I tilted my head to the right and spotted the rectangular remote sitting on the dresser next to an old lamp. With little else to do, I picked it up and turned to the small, box-like TV set a few feet in front of me. A press of the red power button and the device roared to life. The fake wooden surface along its sides pulsated with blue, demonic energy as an image appeared on the screen.

"And, in our latest story, the demon Hufmag was recently captured by the Arch Summoner himself, Crowley Fultor!" I had to mentally restrain myself from changing the channel. The last thing I needed to hear was those assholes using my name to get people to watch their crappy show! Unfortunately, it was unlikely I'd find anything good to watch on any of the other channels. This city wasn't exactly known for being a "fun place to live". More for the giant demonic azure eye constantly looking down on us for above. Or the fact that you could hear demons screaming from the middle of the city all the way to the outskirts day in and day out.

The only real activities the citizens partook in were working, getting drunk, fucking, or something in between all that. The majority figured that's all their lives would be unless they became a Demon Summoner. Then all their worries would magically disappear.

I'm living proof of how that sentiment is a blatant lie. Not that the talking heads known as "reporters" would ever say that. No, they'd rather perpetuate the lie. Just like they were doing now.

"As you can see by these scorch marks," the young male reporter knelt next to where I had cornered Hufmag. A gloved hand lightly touched the burnt ground where he had summoned the Binders, "It seems the Arch Summoner called forth two tamed demons to assist him in apprehending the rogue one. Based on how the rain is having difficulty washing the marks away, I conclude that the demons he summoned were quite powerful."

I didn't know whether to scoff at his ignorance or nod at his knowledge. He had clearly done his research, but he was playing it up for the audience. Binders were a Mid-Tier Entry Level Demon at best. All Summoners are taught the ritual to bring them out after their second weeks of study. If you can't manage that much, then you'll never make it to Summoner.

"Hmm, and can you tell us anything else about what happened, Marco?" the newscaster asked with a voice rich with superiority.

"Only that the Rogue Demon Hufmag made a big mistake trying to run from the Arch Summoner," the young man turned to look at the camera with a big stupid grin to match his big bright eyes, "Regular Summoners are some of the strongest people in Melphis, but the Arch Summoner has to be a completely different level. Trying to run from him is like trying to outrun death! It's just not gonna happen!"

"You seem to be quite confident in Mr. Fultor's abilities," the man turned to look at the screen above him to the right, his long cloak moving with him. I caught the way his lips twitched, knowing what he was trying to do.

And, unfortunately, the kid walked right into, "Why wouldn't I? He's the best of the best. The Pride of Melphis and the first Summoner to reach his rank in thirty years. I can't imagine a single person who can equal him."

"Funny you should say that," the fucker turned back to the television camera, his smug grin daring me to try to punch him through my TV, "Because we recently gained new information regarding the Arch Summoner. Supposedly, he-"

The TV clicked off the moment I pressed the button. I gently placed the remote down on the rug, then laid my head against the pillow. Last thing I needed while nursing my leg was to hear untrue rumores about my personal life be presented as fact by an asshole who's probably never seen a demon in his life. Instead, I stared at the ceiling until my eyes started to get heavy. I'm not gonna be going anywhere for a while. Might as well get some of those rare moments of sleep while I can. Who knows? Maybe my dreams will be pleasant for once.

The familiar, irritating sound of knocking put that plan to rest while waking me up.

I groaned with all the frustration I could muster before grabbing my cane. The bottom of my cane hit the rug with a soft thump. I pushed myself up and rolled my body to place my feet against the floor. Wincing as I put weight on my bad leg, I got to my feet. Three more knocks, more insistent this time, echoed through the house in an annoying rhythm.

"Fuck's sake I hear you!" I shout more to make myself feel better. Not like they could hear me with how thick my door was. I get to the door right when they knock again and wave my hand over the black wood with blue patterns painted on it. I lean forward to looking through the peephole and immediately sigh at who I see beyond it. I briefly consider pretending to not be home. Then I remember the last time I did that.

With a defeated shake of my head, I wave my hand over the wavy blue paint on the door. The enchantments built into them fizzles out until the door opens of its own volition. I stare into the eyes of the familiar, blue-skinned woman standing a few feet away from my door. Her frowning face and azure streaked brunette hair done up in twin pigtails that trailed behind her. Her thick, black raincoat covered her whole body to keep the rain off. She looked up at me with milky white eyes, her rounded nose wrinkling at the smell of sulfur in the air. She spoke with a voice that sounded like she was gargling gravel, "Crowley."

"Eliza," I said with a clearly forced smile, "To what do I owe the pleasure? Did Hufmag get loose again? Cause if so, you can go ahead and leave. Once is a mistake, but if those dumbass technicians lost him twice then they need to be replaced. I'd tell 'em myself, but I don't exactly feel like-"

"Moldo wants to see you."

My tirade dies in my throat. I stare Eliza down with an unamused expression. Maybe if I keep it up, she'll say she's joking and leave.

...Who am I kidding? That won't work.

"Urgh, let me get my coat," I go back into my house, closing the door behind me while moving upstairs. Guess I'm gonna have to put off my plan to rest for the day, again. But there's no use in complaining. It's not like I could refuse a personal call from the Magos of Melphis himself.

Well, I could.

But I owe the guy way too much to do that.

Let's just hope he's not going to make me do something too crazy this time.

Last edited:
Chapter 3: The Magos Assigns the Task
"Crowley! It's good to see you!"

Aaahh fuck that's not good.

Moldo's never happy to see me, or anyone really, unless he needs something done. He only ever uses his chipper voice and attitude to catch you off guard. Make you think the man currently walking towards me with his arms wide, with a purple cloak so long that it drags across the black obsidian floor, was glad you came. Which wasn't entirely untrue. It's just that he's never glad when someone comes to visit.

"What do you want, Moldo?" enjoyed watching as the pasty faced son of a bitch's smile twitched a bit at that. Making my displeasure at being called away to fix his fuck ups was one of the few joys left in my life.

Unfortunately, Moldo knew that too.

His smile came back as he wrapped his arms around my shoulders, "Oh, don't be like that Crowley! Don't you remember all our good times together? Remember that time we fought the Gorgoth?"

"Yeah, I do," I slip out of his slimy grasp and start walking towards the overly large desk he has set up at the end of the hall, "You were out in the field a lot more back then." I don't know why but I was feeling especially pissed at the man I would tangentially call a friend. Maybe it was the constantly flickering blue flames in the lanterns on the wall that hurt my eyes to look at. Maybe it was the annoying tapping sound that seemed to come from everywhere at once ringing in my ears. Maybe it was the giant, enchanted, reinforced glass window that made up the back wall of the wall right behind Moldo's desk, shining sunlight directly into my face.

Or maybe I was just in a bad mood.

Regardless, I really didn't feel like indulging in Moldo's crappy act.

I turned back to see him still wearing that damn smile on his face. Eliza stood by his side like a haunting specter, her raincoat making her blend into the shadows. Moldo turned to her, waving his hands dismissively, "You are dismissed Eliza. Why don't you go track down that Glaive that got out of containment? It should be in the fifth district by now, so might wanna hurry."

Eliza was already out the door by the time he finished speaking. She was always so eager to go after an escaped demon. I'd be worried for her if I hadn't seen what she did to that one asshole who thought he could take her in a fistfight. I don't think he ever mentally recovered from what she did to him.

Once she was out the door, Moldo made his way over to me. He pulled the chair in front of his desk out with the same smile on his face, "Might I offer you a seat, Crowley? You did just come back from another mission after all. Your feet must be aching." He kept that stupid grin on the entire the time he said that, but his eyes weren't looking at me. They were looking at my bum leg and the cane I used to support it.

"I think I'll stand," yeah my leg was killing me, but my bad mood took precedent. That and it made his smug grin falter a bit more, which made me feel a bit better. I walked around his desk to the huge window and looked out over the city of Melphis. It was a dank, dark, shit stain on the ass of this planet. With a giant blue eye staring down on it from above, never once letting up its judging gaze.

Just as I remembered it. "So," I start while leaning against the glass, "what do you need me for?"

"Can't I just call up an old friend to-"

"You're not fooling anyone, Moldo," I see his reflection freeze up at my words, "Let's cut to the chase."

His smile holds up for a second longer. Then it falls and the rest of his charade with it. His posture changed to a hunched over, frustrated look as he walked around to his seat and slumped into it. A hand went to his head to rub his tired eyes as he spoke with the voice of someone who was sick of everything, "Damn it, Crowley. Can't you play along even a little bit?"

"Don't know. Can you stop calling me in for another job after I finish one already?"

"I don't do that too much."

"By my count, you've called me in for about ten jobs this week alone."

He shrugs while grabbing a plain black mug from his desk, "They were all missions that needed the touch of an Arch Summoner." He took a sip of what I could only guess was coffee, sighing as he swallowed the liquid.

"Simple retrieval missions that could've been done by a Novice required the hand of an Arch Summoner? Don't try to bullshit me. You were just looking for an excuse to make me do something you didn't want anyone else to do."

"Ok, then would you rather I just stop giving you work? Then you stop getting paid, and your skills get rusty."

"I'd rather you let me retire."

"Not until we get another Arch Summoner to take your place. It's not my fault one hasn't come around for years," he shakes his head, "Besides, you? Retiring? I just can't see that. What would you do, buy a house in the middle of the forest, sit on the porch, and yell at people to get off your lawn?"

"Nah," I wave a hand dismissively at him as he laughs, "While I would buy a house somewhere far away from you, I'd be living out the rest of my days with a fiery young lass that won't let me rest, but in a good way."

"Really? Then why not Eliza? She's pretty nice."

"Too frigid for my taste. Plus I think she's had a grudge against me ever since I beat her in that sparring match when were kids. Your sister still open?"

"Sure, if you don't mind a crazy woman who's more likely punch you in the face than cook you dinner."

This time when he starts laughing, I join him. We stop after a minute. Then we're just quiet for a bit. Enjoying each others company after so long. I might give Moldo shit, but at the end of the day he's my longest lived friend. I turn to him and ask, "You holding up alright?"

"Eh, doing the best I can," he shrugs while taking another sip of coffee, "Things were relatively quiet. Then...yesterday happened and...well that's why I called you up here."

"Finally getting to that are we?" I put my back up against the window, raising an eyebrow at him while grinning. It disappears when I see the frown on my old friend's face. The kind that he only has when it's something serious. I keep my mouth shut while he starts to explain.

"Yesterday, at about seven o'clock in the morning, one of our Scars killed a Celestine Cleric."

Fuck.

"That's not good," I could already see why he was upset. The Angelic city of Celestine was our opposite in every way. We had demons, they had angels. We had a dark slum of a city, they had a shining towering metropolis. We were grim and cynical, they were arrogant and annoying.

Moldo nodded in agreement, "It happened on the Frontier. Two of our Scars were out training some Novice Summoners by having them practice summoning a few low rank demons. Then a bunch of Celestine Chosen Ones showed up with two of their Clerics. One of the Clerics started to insult our Scars and...well one of them didn't take it too kindly."

That's unusual. Scars are our senior Summoners that have managed to stick around for a long time. They're not sent out on missions much because...well they're called Scars for a reason. I've met a lot of them in my time here, and they all have a patience and stoicism that I wish I could have. But then...

"How could a few insults cause a Scar to go far enough to kill a Cleric?" I ask Moldo, "Those guys don't let anything get to them...unless the Cleric...oh no."

"Exactly. According to the report I've received from the second Scar, the one that tried to stop his partner, he heard the Cleric mention something about the first Scar's injuries. That set her off and now we've got a dead Cleric on our hands."

"Just fucking great," my free hand goes to my head. I can already feel a migraine coming on, "I'm guessing the damn angels are baying for blood."

"No, actually," Moldo leans back his chair and places the mug back on his desk, "I've been in contact with the Archangel. He's been extremely cooperative and understanding about the whole situation."

"But...," there was always a but when it came to things like this.

"But, the people of Celestine aren't as understanding," Moldo steeples his hands together, his frown deepening and revealing the wrinkles on his cheeks, "They believe we've committed an act of High Heresy against them, and are calling for a Crusade to 'Wipe our heretical taint from existence.'

A bunch of assholes that have been taught that they're the greatest in the world and no one is more virtuous and right as they are, wanting the people who happen to be different from them annihilated even though they're the ones at fault?

I'm shocked. Really, I am.

"Alright, so you're in a political clusterfuck right now. Still haven't gotten to what I have to do with any of this," it was then he looked at me with a glint in his eye that made me want to rush right out the exit.

"Even if the angels are fine, they need to keep their people placated lest they do something drastic," he continued, the slightest bit of joy edging its way into his voice, "So, Remiel and I have agreed to, an exchange of sorts. They give us a formal, public apology for the actions of their Cleric...and we give them a representative that will live under the watchful eyes of five of their Chosen Ones for two years."

Oh no.

"And that's.."

No. No. No!

"...where you come in, Crowley."

....I really shouldn't have answered that fucking door.

Chapter 4: The Real Job
"Fuck you."

"Crowley.."

"I'm not doing it," I stomped down the hallway outside his office, my cane clacking against the smooth black tiled floor. Probably wasn't a good idea given my condition, but at the time I didn't care. My annoyance had turned to frustration mixed with indignation at the Magos' gall. He has me running around doing menial shit for days on end, refuses to let me retire despite my numerous request for it, and now has the balls to set me up as collateral without my knowledge?

Whatever he was on when he thought I would agree to this, he needs to get a refund for it.

I forced my way past some other Summoners walking down the hall. I didn't bother checking to see their rank. Too busy looking for the exit while complaining to the persistent Magos, "Find some other patsy to solve your fucking mess."

"You know I can't do that," he was lying through his teeth and he knew it. There were thousands of other summoners he could've chosen for this. Ones that would happily say yes to whatever their boss told them to without question. He was the Magos, after all. The only person who would tell him no to his face would be...me.

"Sure you can. Just walk up a Master, explain the situation, and you've got yourself a willing pawn."

"I don't need a pawn, Crowley. I need the Arch Summoner!"

Oh, I recognize that tone. I glance to the left and see the frustration taking over his face. His furrowing brow, increasingly deep frown, and the fire that was slowly growing in his eyes. Seems my continual reluctance was starting to get to him.

Good.

"Well, put it that way...too bad! Your Arch Summoner is taking a vacation," I think I still had a few days left. This was a perfect time to use them.

Unfortunately, Moldo was quick to shoot me down, "Denied. This isn't something you can just say no to, Crowley. If you just give me a chance to explain-"

"And why the fuck should I?!" I stop right in front of the elevator that brought me here. The doors opened with a ding and a Scar walked out with a female Acolyte trailing behind him. The young girl stopped to stare at us with admiration filled eyes. Moldo quickly plastered a smile across his face and told her to run along before her guardian starts missing her. She did as he asked, nodding until she caught up to the Scar.

The moment she was gone Moldo's smile turned into a frown. He grabbed my wrist as gently as he could while keeping his glaring eyes locked onto mine, "We can discuss this somewhere we're less likely to bother others. I promise you, I'll explain everything then."

I prepare a response but don't let it leave my lips. The elevator was right behind me and, while it wasn't busy, people would be coming out of it as the day went on. I was fine with yelling at Moldo, but not so much making myself look like a whiny brat in front of my peers. Of course, I could just walk into the elevator and leave right now. He wouldn't really be able to stop me unless he wanted to turn this into a scene. But what gave me pause was his offer of an explanation. Usually, he'd give me the mission then tell me to hop to it. If I asked for details, he'd just be as vague as possible. This is the first time he's said he'd give me the entire story.

I might be being a bit too optimistic here, but...

"Alright then," Moldo's body visibly relaxed at my words. I jerked my head to the left, "Let's go talk. And you'd better be straight with me."

"Of course. Thank you," he sighed in relief with a hand on his chest before starting to walk left. I followed him down a separate hallway. After a few minutes of walking, the black stone walls gave way to multiple separate rooms. Each had reflective glass set up along the walls with a single door installed to their side. Moldo heads to one and opens it up, holding the door open for me.

I head inside and feel the nostalgia hit me full in the face. Ah, yes. The rooms we used for "questioning" troublemaking demons, humans, everyone really. There was but one solitary light emanating from a lamp dangling from the ceiling. I had been on both sides of the gray table in the center of the room. If I wasn't me trying to get a confession out of a demon that had escaped confinement, it was me being chewed out by another Summoner for "not doing my job". More often than not it was the former. I gravitated towards the side of the table away from the entrance, sitting down in the fold-out chair just as Moldo locked the door.

He pulled out the chair directly opposite me and sat down. Both arms fell to the table as he took in a deep breath. Then he asked, "I don't suppose you've been watching the news lately?"

"Pfft, no," I did what I could to get comfortable in my chair. Didn't accomplish much since they were made to be uncomfortable on purpose. Kept whoever was in them on edge and more likely to make a mistake. I waved at him in clear disinterest, "Just a bunch of the same crap over and over again."

"Figures. Have you at least been keeping track of our relationship with Celestine?"

"I refer to my previous statement of 'same crap over and over again'. They hate us, we hate them, blah, blah, blah. I started to tune all that out after hearing the tenth rumor about how war is gonna break out."

Moldo nodded, before folding his hands together and saying, "I see. What if I told you those rumors weren't just rumors anymore?"

That got my attention. I look up and focus my gaze on every aspect of Moldo's eyes. I wasn't the only one who could see through Moldo's flippant acting and he knew that. That's why he's done his best to prop that persona up as his real face. He got so good at it that he started to fool even me a few times.

But I wasn't one to leave things at that. It took a few weeks, but I managed to find the crack in his facade. The one trick to find out if he's messing with you; His right eye blinks twice.

If he did that now, I would know that what he just said was a lie. I could stand up right now and walk out that door with no regrets.

He didn't.

Shit.

"That would change things," I leaned forward as best I could without putting too much pressure on my leg. I placed an arm on the table while continuing, "After all, it's one thing to hear it from a random doomsayer on the side of the road. It's another to hear it from the Magos of Melphis himself."

"Well, that's exactly what you're hearing," he tapped a finger on the table, "The tension between Melphis and Celestine has never been higher. The incident I told you about? It's not the only one. I've gotten numerous reports just like it from half a year ago. All confrontations between Celestine and us. All ending with either side gravely injured or someone dead. The Archangel and I have done what we can to keep things from boiling over, but we can't keep it up forever. We need to do something drastic or else.."

He doesn't need to finish the sentence. We both know what he means. The history between our cities hasn't ever been a rosy one. If memory serves, the archives record five separate wars between us at minimum. All usually stemming from some fundamental difference between the two. The demons and Summoners wanting to get one over on the angels and Chosen, or the angels and Chosen wanting to get revenge for a perceived slight.

The causes changed, but the results were always the same.

Death and destruction on a massive scale.

There was never a clear "winner" in the fights. The cities simply kept going until some brave souls realized the futility of it all, and brokered a peace. It usually lasted a century or so before everything started again. Normally, because some asshole decides to interpret history a bit differently than someone else.

Not pretty. But the truth hardly is.

Five contemplative minutes pass between us before I decide to break the silence, "Not that I am keen on being in a war for the first time, but what exactly is this 'exchange' of yours supposed to accomplish? If things are as bad as you say, we're only a few months out before things light up."

He leans back in his own chair and holds up two fingers, "Two ways. First, there's the understanding angle. We hate them because we think we know them, and they hate us because they think they know us. If you were to spend some time with a few of Celestine's Chosen Ones, you might start to rub off on them. Which would mean they'd grow up with a more understanding view of the Summoners. And, since you are the Arch Summoner, the people of Celestine will associate you with Melphis. And if you make a good impression, they might start changing their opinion of us."

"Quite optimistic don't you think?" I replied with a chuckle, "You can't seriously think that'll work, can you?"

"Do you not?"

"Uh, well, ah. Ok, let's put it like this. I don't think me alone is going to be enough to convince a bunch of self-righteous zealots that the people they see as 'heretics' aren't all bad. Especially with how Melphis is. You have been outside of this tower, right? We're not exactly a shining beacon of civilization."

"That's all true. Bbbbuuuuttttt?"

"But...well, crazier things have happened," me becoming Arch Summoner for instance, though I don't say it out loud, "I don't think it's impossible, just highly unlikely."

"Maybe true. But, it's the best we've got," Moldo shrugs while folding down one finger. Then he continues, "As for the second reason...remember when I said I had gotten reports about other incidents half a year back?"

I nodded then gestured for him to get on with it. His eyes rolled as he folded his other finger down, "I cross-referenced all the incidents together...and noticed they all occurred within two weeks from each other. Then they accelerated to one week. And the latest incident happened only five days out from the last one. On top of that, every confrontation always involved either the most high strung Summoners we have, or those of us with more...extremist ideals."

"And I wouldn't be too far off to say this is true for Celestine, too?" Moldo's confirming nod doesn't give me any comfort. This was one of the times I wished I wasn't right. But since I was, it could only mean one thing. I groaned in frustration as my head hits the desk with a crash. It rattles and clanks as I vocalization what we both were thinking, "Someone's stoking the fucking fire."

"And we don't know who they are, yet," Moldo holds his hands to his side as the truth is laid out for me to see, "Which is where you come in. Based on the information both the Archangel and I have gathered, we've deduced that whoever is orchestrating these events is operating out of Celestine. During your stay, I want you to search for any and all possible leads to these people. Once you find enough evidence, report it to the Archangel and we'll take it from there."

"But why me?" I lift my head from the table, rubbing the red welt on my forehead while ignoring Moldo's chuckle, "Wouldn't you want someone better suited to this type of stuff? You know I'm not good at sneaking around."

"Oh? Really?" Moldo holds up a hand and starts counting off fingers, "You keep to yourself, are extremely paranoid, have the keen ability to get people to stay away from you, can read people better than most, have an exit strategy for just about every situation, and despite being the most famous man in the city, hardly anyone outside of our organization knows anything about you. Not where you live, who you socialize with, where you go out to eat-"

"Alright, I get it," I hold up a hand to get him to stop. Then I move it to my face and pull it down in frustration. I take in two deep breaths, hold each in for a couple seconds, then let them out in a slow burst. Only once I'm relaxed enough do I answer Moldo, "Well, you've certainly been straight with me Moldo. First time for everything it seems."

"So? Will you do it?" he leans forward expectantly, eyes shining with the hope that he got through to me.

It is a tall order. Go live in the city that hates my city's guts, live with a couple of their self-entitled brats for two years while dealing with the equally self-entitled populace, try to change their ingrained prejudices against me and everything I stand for, all while searching for a secret society that is trying to start a war between the two cities.

A tough assignment. Though it's not the worst I've ever gotten. That honor still goes to what I did to become the Arch Summoner.

Nothing will ever be worse than that.

So yeah. I'll take the job...but not without a bit extra for me.

"Ok, Moldo, I'll do it," I hold up a finger to stop him from bursting out of his seat, "But, I have one condition."

"Condition?" he repeats, mouth agape at my response, "The very livelihood of our city, our organization, and yourself is at stake and you're trying to negotiate?"

"Not exactly. Negotiation implies both sides have leverage. Which you don't. Either I do this and we both get what we want, or you say no, I leave, and my life goes on as usual while you have to find some other patsy that'll do the job."

"I could fire you if you say no."

"But you won't. As you said, I'm the only Arch Summoner you got," I jerk my thumb towards my chest for emphasis, "Get rid of me, and you just lost a big hitter, while I finally get to retire...in a fashion."

Moldo is silent for a long time. I can't help but smile at the way he squirms while staring me down. I know he's trying to think of some way to wiggle out of this. Some way to get the advantage and make me do what he says without question. Find something he can do as the Magos of Melphis he can use as leverage.

Sorry to disappoint, friend. The ball is my court this time. You got nothing.

After ten minutes he finally relents. He falls back into his chair, anger leaving him in a single sigh. A hand goes to his head as he asks, defeat evident in his tone, "What do you want? What's it gonna take to get you onboard?"

"I think you know the answer to that. Retirement. After this, I'm done. Whether you find a replacement or not," I tap my finger against the table to punctuate the condition.

"Fine," he answers faster than I expected. Probably because he knows I got him beat. He removes his hand from his face while shaking his head, "Can you be ready to go by tomorrow?"

"Sure thing, Magos," I say mockingly before getting up from my seat, "Anything specific I should pack?"

"That's up to your discretion, but be sure to bring that," his gaze meets mine as we share a knowing nod. I grab my cane and make my way to the door. Moldo gets up from his seat, unlocks it for me, and we go our separate ways once we're out of the room.

Hmmph. I've certainly gotten myself into something big. Way bigger than me. And the thing is, searching for the assholes trying to start this war likely won't be the worst part.

No, the worst part will be dealing with those damn Chosen Ones. It'd be one thing if they were in my age bracket or older. I can deal with people like that. But, for some stupid fucking reason, the power the angels give their Chosen starts to wane as they reach adulthood, disappearing just as they hit their 25th birthday.

Meaning, I'm gonna be sharing a house with a bunch of underaged brats.

Joy.

Last edited:
Chapter 5: Arriving At Celestine
I squint while staring down the left side of the street in front of my house as the black limousine rounds a corner. Its headlights had little trouble cutting through the shadows cast by the storm clouds overhead. It glided down my street, drawing the attention of the various citizens walking along the sidewalks. Interesting events like this were a rare occurrence around my neighborhood, one of the main reasons I chose to live here. So seeing something like this turned heads. Especially considering the shining symbol of the Magos of Melphis on the doors of the three-sectioned limo. Blue flames that burned despite the rain were arranged in a circle around a single, blue eye that stared into the soul of whoever dared meet its gaze. That made people lock their eyes on the thing until it pulled up in front of my house. Certainly making some feel proud at the thought of the Magos coming to their neck of the woods.

Personally, it just made me glad I would out of here soon. A year or two away should be long enough to make everyone forget this event. Which meant they wouldn't ask questions once I got back.

I readjust the dark blue pack in my left hand before whistling at the limo as it comes to a stop in front of me, "Well, wasn't expecting this when I woke up today."

The middle side door opens to reveal old Moldo in his civilian clothes. Which meant that he ditched the shitty cloak that dragged along the floor, with a more practical black suit and tie combo. His right hand held down his bowler hat while his left kept the door open for me. He jerked his head towards the car while shouting, "Get in, Crowley. Try not to bring in too much water when you do."

"Oh sure, let me just dump it all off before I get in," I roll my eyes while shrugging my shoulders to adjust my coat. It's a bit of a pain to crouch my way into the car but I've been living with this thing for long enough that it doesn't bother me anymore. Just need to lead with my cane and slide on into the leather interior. I toss my pack onto the seat to my right where it lands with a wet thump.

I ignore the glare Moldo shoots my way as he closes the car door. He gestures towards my bag as I get situated with my cane across my lap, "Shouldn't you be worried about that?"

"Nope. Waterproof. Outside might be wet, but the inside should be fine."

"And if it isn't?"

"Then me and the guy I bought this from are gonna have words when I get back," I lean back against the black leather seat with a sigh, "Besides it's just my clothes in there. They should have a dryer where I'm going unless Celestine has decided indoor plumbing is somehow heretical."

"Just clothes?" I could hear the confusion in Moldo's voice, "I figured you'd bring more than that."

"It's not just clothes. I've also got a thermos with a built-in water filter in there."

"...Why?"

"Cause I don't know what the water's like over there, and I can't exactly look for anything suspicious while I'm bending over a toilet now can I?"

"...Alright, I'll give you that one."

I grin and tap my cane with a finger, "Everything else is right here. Extra Brimstone Dust for making symbols, extra Silver Dust in case I have to fight some Demons or Angels, I made sure to get my hidden blade sharpened, even got some lockpicks in there just in case."

"Including...," he lets the sentence trail off, but I know what he's talking about. I nod grimly, the thought of the thing hidden in my cane making my skin crawl. Moldo returns the nod then knocks on the window and calls out, "We're ready Goston. Get us outta here."

A familiar growl comes from the front of the limo, followed by the acrid smell of burning Brimstone. I raise an eyebrow as the vehicle starts moving and ask Moldo, "Goston? Isn't that that Imp you rescued from some Clerics about...shit how long ago was that?"

"Ten years," Moldo says with a shrug, "And yep, that's him. He's been pretty attached to me ever since then."

"And within that time the thing hasn't tried to kill you whatsoever?"

"First, while Goston may be a Demon, he most certainly is not a 'thing', Crowley. Second, he's saved my ass more times than I can count at this point. I trust him with my life."

"And it has nothing to do with the fact that it pisses the Celestines off that you managed to redeem a Demon their oh so holy Clerics marked for death?"

The Magos pushed his hat down to hide his face, but I could tell he was smiling. I chuckled and leaned back in my seat while turning my head towards the window. The large, silver walls of Melphis that separated it from the outside world came into view. Our ride slowed to a stop, I heard the familiar creaking of the city gate opening, and then we were on our way once more. We left the darkness of Melphis behind soon after that, entering into the rolling green hills just outside our walls. I flinched away from the window as the golden sunlight hit my eyes. When was the last time I got out of the city? Two...three years ago?

I start asking questions to distract myself from the stinging, "So, you gonna tell me anything about where we're going? Or am I expected to go into all this completely blind?"

"Care to clarify?" Moldo crosses one leg over the other while leaning back in his seat.

"I mean about the kids and where I'm going. Who exactly am I gonna be living with, where will it be, and am I getting any support besides a ride over there?"

Moldo responds with a sigh while shaking his head, "You'll have to ask Archangel Remiel about that, Crowley."

"Seriously? You're the Magos. You're in charge of one of the biggest cities on the planet, and you can't tell me what support I'll be getting, if any, on a mission you gave me?"

"True. I am the Magos. Of Melphis. My reach only extends as far as the city walls, and no further. Unless I want to get us embroiled in a political shitstorm with Celestine."

"I thought we already were in one."

"And pushing the limits of my political influence will only make it worse," Moldo sighed, shaking his head in frustration. I scoffed but didn't say anything. The bastard was right, much as it irks me. Celestine's already baying for blood, and hearing the guy in charge of the city they think is in the wrong started ordering them around wouldn't help matters. I need to remember that the only person he said was on our said was the Archangel. He had never mentioned any others.

Of course, just cause it made sense doesn't mean it made me feel better about my situation.

I groan and look out the window as the grasslands give way to thick forest and then rushing rivers. The Frontier, the large patch of uncivilized land that separated our two cities. I've had to go out here a lot to track down escapees or take care of a Feral Demon that had shacked up a bit too close to Melphis. Guess I won't be doing that for a while...unless the Archangel has started looking for outside help to deal with Feral Demons.

Moldo gets my attention by saying, "Crowley, believe me. If I could get you any support on my end, I would. But I just can't right now. But I'm confident Remiel has things well in hand and will give you whatever you need."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, tell me anything," I wave him off while keeping my eyes locked on the window. This might be my last moment of peace and quiet before I have to deal with a bunch of noisy brats. I'm gonna enjoy it. Moldo gets the hint and stops trying to talk to me. We spend the rest of the ride in complete silence, our thoughts our only company.

I start thinking about my current situation. Most Melphians would be sweating up a storm right now. They're being taken to the city of our "rivals" and will soon meet with the guy in charge of the whole place. They'd be agonizing over what they were going to say to the Angel. Whether they wore the right shoes or not. If their hair was done right, all that crap. Me? I didn't really care. I knew Moldo, and anyone who could get along with him was either an asshole like me or a nut like him.

Either way, I'm confident I would know how to deal with him once I saw him.

I was a fucking idiot.

"Is something troubling you, Sir Crowley?"

"A little bit," I say slowly while trying to keep pace with the Archangel himself. I keep my eyes low to the ground, doing everything in my power to avoid looking up at my host. Not because I didn't feel worthy to look upon his magnificence or shit like that.

But because he was glowing.

Literally.

Gold light shot out of the guy's body wherever he went, and I couldn't look at him without getting my retinas burned out. Closing my eyes didn't help cause it'd somehow get through the gaps between my lids. I tilt my head up as much as possible without looking directly at Remiel and ask, "Could you turn down the lights? It feels like I'm staring right into the sun."

I get no answer the light does dim enough to the point where I can tilt my eyes up. I hear the sonorous sounds of Remiel's voice saying, "My sincerest apologies. Is this more to your liking?"

"Yeah. Thanks," I say while looking up at the Archangel. And when I say 'up' I mean 'up'. I was 5'9" and Remiel had a good three inches on me. When I first saw the guy after Moldo dropped me off I could hardly believe he was the guy in charge of the city. Oh sure, he looked the part. White flowing robes that went down to his feet, six pure white wings growing out of his back, a literal Halo of light hovering around his head, and walking with the calm, humble demeanor you expect from his kind. The only parts of him that were human were his bare hands, feet, his fair skin, and flowing blond hair.

And that's where the mistake I made comes in. I've heard of the Angels all my life, but I've never actually thought the term was literal. Demons I could understand. I spent my whole life growing up around those bastards and had been face-to-face with the worst they had to offer. But Angels always seemed more like a title to me. Maybe it's because Celestine seemed more cult-like than us that I saw it all as a scam. Heck, when I was younger I had this running theory that the Chosen actually drew their power from Demons Celestine had taken from us. Seemed more likely than glowing winged people from the sky.

Thus I based my assumptions and strategies for my meeting with Remiel around the ones I use when dealing with Moldo. That, at the end of the day, the two of them are functionally the same thing. A man in charge of a large city with a lot of power behind him, but a man all the same.

That is now all out the fucking window.

Cause Remiel is no human. And he does nothing to hide this.

Which means I need to come up with a completely new strategy for dealing with him, on top of getting used to the rest of this place.

Great.

Rather than bother with that, I focus my attention on our immediate surroundings. Namely, the city of Celestine itself. On the surface, the place didn't look that different from Melphis. Same skyscrapers, same multi-colored brick buildings, same cars rolling down the roads.

But the difference wasn't in the environment. It was in the people. There were no homeless or destitute laying out in the street. People walked with their heads held high and eyes wide with a sense of purpose. They stopped to say hello to each other as they walked down the street. And the generally dark blue or plain black T-shirts were replaced with white blazers, suits, and pants with gold trimmings. Not to mention the Angels of all shapes and sizes flying around right above us, stopping every now and then to speak to some citizens for one reason or another.

In such a bright place, I stuck out like a sore thumb. My black jacket, dark blue shirt, matching jeans, and black boots marked me as an outsider. The only reason everyone paying attention to me is that whenever they did their eyes would lock on the Archangel. The dude wasn't exactly subtle and didn't seem to care if he was. He walked down the street with his head up and a beaming smile on his face.

It, honestly, kind of creeped me out.

"We are approaching the Chosen Ones' place of residence, Sir Crowley," Remiel suddenly spoke, turning his head to, literally, look down at me, "Moldo mentioned that you had questions about possible arrangements for your task?"

"That's putting it lightly," the pack I'm holding over my shoulder shakes as I shrug, "That fucking Magos told me jack and shit about any 'arrangements'. All he said was that he was confident you would've taken care of things."

Having to look up to speak to Remiel meant I could barely make out the expressions he made in response to my reply. But his voice kept up the indifferent tone as he spoke to me, "He is correct. I have done what I can to ensure your stay with us is a pleasant one. First, we have secured living space for you within the same residence as the Chosen Ones you shall be watching over."

"Wait...I have to share a room with the kids?"

"Not a room. Merely the building you will be residing in."

"And it'll just be the six of us?"

"Correct. Though if you require anything, there will be two Clerics living in the neighboring buildings that you may consult with. I chose them both personally for this task, so feel free to fully confide in them."

"Rrrrriiiiggghhhtttt. This building has more than one bathroom, right?"

"It has five."

"Of course it does," I'm already hating everything about this, "Please, continue."

"Second, there will be precisely three thousand Solars, our local currency, within a chest inside your room. Feel free to use them and the chest to your heart's content, but be aware that we shall not give you any more funds should you lose or spend all it. Anything else, you will need to acquire through your own means."

He stops talking and stares at me for a few seconds. I nod and gesture for him to continue, which he does, "Third, while you are a guest within our fair city, know that you will be subject to its laws. If you are found guilty of a crime, I will not be able to intervene lest uninformed parties begin having suspicions about our relationship and your reason for being here. Fourth, do not be afraid to contact me if you require any assistance that my Clerics cannot give. Simply come to my Temple and you shall be welcomed with open arms."

"Gotcha, gotcha," I nod, making all kinds of mental notes. He goes quiet and I take the chance to ask a question of my own, "And what the kids?"

"Excuse me?"

"The Chosen Ones I'm gonna be living with. No one's told me anything about them, and I'd like to know what I'm getting into."

Rather than respond, Remiel stopped walking and gestured towards his right, "I believe it would be better if you met them yourself. We have arrived."

I stop with the Archangel and stare at the house I'm gonna be living in for two whole years. The place was...average looking. It was a two-story building with five windows, three on top and two on the bottom to the left and right of the front door. A pink mat sat right in front of the door with the word "Welcome" spelled out in bright gold lettering. The walls and door were all painted white, making it blend in with the similar buildings around it. However, it's roof was triangular rather than rectangular like the others.

Hmph. The place didn't look at bad as I expected. Still could use some work though. I don't see one alarm system, magical or mundane, set up outside at all. That would be a surefire way to get robbed or attacked by an escaped Demon back in Melphis.

But I suppose the Celestians don't have to deal with things like that all that often.

I look at Remiel and point towards the front door to the house. He nods and waves me forward. I thank him and make my way to the door. I set my pack down and go to knock, but stop when I notice that it's a bit ajar. That makes me raise an eyebrow, as I feel the hairs on the back of my neck raise up. Did the bastards I'm after figure us out? Were they already here? Or did someone sell us out? Either way, I could be walking into a trap here.

Tightening my grip on my cane, I count backward from three and force the door open.

"Give him back, Mako!"

"Make me, Keiji!"

"Stop it you two! Lord Remiel is supposed to be he-Mako watch out!"

"Huh? Uwwaaaahhh!"

Next thing I know a flying, black ball of fur collides with my face, bounces off, and sends me falling backward onto my ass.

One second.

It's only been a second.

I have yet to formally meet any of these kids.

And I already hate them all.

Last edited:
Chapter 6: Introduce Yourselves
"Are you ready, Crowley?"

"Just give me a minute," I reply to the Archangel outside the bathroom door, wincing while rubbing the red spot on my head. The bathroom lights reflected off the white tiles around me. I stare into the clear mirror with the equally clean toilet and shower on my left. Been a while since I've taken time to actually look at myself. Usually, I do the bare minimum to be presentable then go about my day. Never take the time to examine my own features.

Though, to be honest, there wasn't much to see. Black hair with streaks of white and gray mixed in, hooked nose and pointed face, and sharp tired black eyes aren't exactly what I'd call attractive. And that's without mentioning the bags under my eyes or the wrinkles at their edges. I'd say I've still got my youth, but this job took that from me too. I have the body of a thirty-year-old but feel and act like a fifty-year-old. Add a constantly pissed off expression and you've got a good idea of what my face looks like on a day to day basis.

Not a lovely sight.

And the red welt on my forehead didn't make it any better.

I shook my head and pushed away from the mirror. I've spent enough time looking in a mirror. Time to get back to work...which means having to interact with the brats who gave me this bump in the first place.

Maybe I could stay a few more minutes.

I sigh and head out the bathroom door. Outside I got a good view of the inside of the house. It had walls as white as the outside, a single flight of stairs a few steps from the front door, and a few hallways that went to different areas. Most of the floors had smooth carpet on them, save for the bathroom I came out of. Couldn't say much else, I just got here after all. It would take some time to get the layout down in my head.

At least I could tell where the living room was to my right. Mainly cause Ramiel's voice leaked out of the room's closed door. I follow the sound and open the door to find the Archangel scolding five teens that all sat on a rather long couch. Everyone's attention turned to me as I walked into the room, giving me a chance to get some cursory glances at the kids I'd be....living with.

I still think this is a shitty idea.

I make note of the five kids, three girls, and two boys, as I walk up to the Archangel. I stop next to him...which makes me ask how in the Nine Hells did he get in the house? He was way too big to fit through the door last I saw him! Did he shrink or something? Actually, that's probably the answer. He is an angel. An actual angel with supernatural powers that I don't currently understand.

Another thing to note for future conversations.

Ramiel says, "Hello, Crowley. I once again apologize for the entirely inappropriate behavior that you observed when you entered this house."

His eyes shift to the teens with a glint of disappointment shining behind a veneer of calm. The five either bow their heads in shame or avoid the Archangel's gaze. I wave my hand dismissively while replying, "Eh, it's not that big a deal. Just a bump. It'll go away with time."

"It is still unacceptable and will be amended post-haste. Aria Lane."

"Uh, yes, Angel Ramiel," the girl at the leftmost end of the couch got up from her seat. An eyebrow raises as she stepped up to me. She wore a casual white t-shirt with gold embroidered in the shape of a cross on the front, along with dark navy blue pants. She was a dirty blonde with her hair wrapped up in a ponytail that framed her smooth nose and circular face. Her brown eyes stared up at while she stood with her arms crossed.

She asked me, "Could you please crouch down, Mr. Crowley."

I raise an eyebrow at the "Mr." but do as she says. Once I'm at eye level with her, she places one of her hands on the bump. She mumbles a few words that I can't make out, there's this short flash of green light, and then she removes her hand. I reach up and touch the place...where the welt used to be.

"Th-thanks?" I say, uncertain of what just happened. Did she just heal me?

"You're welcome," she says quickly before walking back to her seat. I stand up with my brows furrowed. So, her name's Aria and she can heal people's wounds. That's one of them down.

Ramiel nods to the girl as she sits down then turns to me, "While I would stay to help introduce everyone, I'm afraid I must go. The duties of an Archangel are unending but necessary. I hope you understand, Crowley."

"Of course. I hang with Moldo enough to know that running a whole city can be a pain," one which both he and Ramiel do a fantastic job of hiding. Moldo through extravagant clothing, Ramiel through...being an angel I guess.

The Archangel nods to me before turning towards the gathered teens. He speaks with a tone that he is not to be argued with on this matter, "You have all been informed of the situation. I expect you all to behave in a way that is expected of the Chosen. Especially prodigies such as yourselves. Show Crowley the utmost respect while he is here, and strive to ensure his stay here is a pleasant one. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, Lord Ramiel," the five respond in unison. The Archangel nods before heading towards the front door. I wait to hear the sound of it opening and closing before turning my attention to the five brats on the couch. They all stare at me with barely contained curiosity or clearly shown suspicion. Save for one of the boys who simply stares at me with apologetic eyes while petting a....furry, black...creature of some sort in his lap.

What the hell is that thing? It looks like a cat but longer, and with two tails, and...are those tiger paws? And does it have bat wings on its back?

I pinch the bridge of my nose and sigh. One thing at a time, Crowley. One thing at a time.

"Alright, here's how we're gonna do this," I start while putting some of my weight on my cane. I wait until I have everyone's attention before continuing, "I'm going to ask each of you to say your name and what powers you got, and any other question that pops up. Aria, you're exempt because I already know yours."

"Uh, ok," Aria sounds honestly confused at being left out. Guess she didn't expect me to remember what she did. Well, now she knows I have a good memory.

"Ok, you first," I point my cane at the girl on the rightmost part of the couch. She stiffens up as I do, but gets up from her seat. She starts to walk towards me but I hold up a hand to stop her, "No need to get close. Just say your name and power."

"O..o...ok," her voice is as nervous as her posture. She's constantly moving her legs and hardly remaining still. Even her head keeps swiveling between me and the ones on the couch who all encourage her to go ahead. She's wearing a dark blue jacket that covers up her entire torso, while her shoulder-length white hair frames an angular yet soft looking face. Her blue eyes dart across every aspect of the room before settling on me. She straightens out her black shorts and knee socks before finally speaking up, "I'm Am-Amilia Gardner. I can...um...I can use magic-"

"What kind of magic?"

Amilia jumps at my interruption while Aria comes to her defense, "Hey, you said we only had to give our name and power!"

"Yes, but I also said I'd ask for any other questions that popped up."

Aria looks ready to argue but can't doesn't keep going. Instead, she falls back into her seat with a huff. I motion for Amilia to continue, the shy girl rubbing her hands as she tries to speak, "Uh, ah, H-Holy Magic. It's...the magic of the angels and is...extremely proficient at banishing demons."

"Got it. You can sit down," she does so but not before apologizing for taking so long to answer me. I roll my eyes at that and move on, "K, you're the last girl so you'll be ne-what the heck is that on your head?"

The girl in question hops from her seat with a smile and rushes up to me. Where Aria and Amelia are more conservative in their clothing choices, she's the exact opposite. A white mini-shirt that showed off her midriff and arms, blue short jeans that left her thighs bare, and...was that I fluffy black and brown tail I just saw?

She stops right in front of me, black and brown bob-cut hair bouncing with her as she skipped, yes, skipped towards me. She held up a hand and shouted, "Hi! I'm Mako! I can move really fast, jump really high, and track anyone as long as I have their scent. I hope we get along Mr. Crowley!"

"....What are those?" I point to two...things laying flat on her head.

"Oh, those are my ears!"

"...And they're fake, right?"

"Nope! See," she grabs them, and oh god they are attached to her head, and yes that is a tail behind her and it's wagging and by the Nine Hells fucking what?!

"I...I....I...I don't want to know," My head falls into my free hand while I point towards the couch, "Just....just sit back down....please."

"Ok!" not seeming to grasp my exasperation, she skips back to her seat, her circular face and big, dopy black eyes the picture of innocence.

I take a few moments to compose myself. I'll deal with the...absolute impossibility sitting across from me later. Right now, I just need to get this done. I take in a breath and point my cane at the two boys, "You two go at the same time. I feel a headache coming on so let's get this over with."

The two stand from their seats. Here I finally notice that the two look almost identical. Both have the same black hair with spiky bangs hanging in front of their eyes (how the hell did they get spiky hair?), the same general build in their torsos, same angular face and button noses, they were even wearing the same white blazers with matching black and red pants.

The things that set them apart were small but significant. One was a head taller than the other and stood slightly in front of him protectively, and wore a t-shirt with an illustration of a roaring lizard creature on the front of it. He stared me down with an intense glare, which led me to notice that his irises were different colors. One was blue while the other one was white.

The other one stood behind the taller boy while hugging the black creature to his chest. His shirt had a turtle illustration on it. He looked at me with trepidation and a hint of curiosity. His irises were also different colors, though this time they were red and white.

I raise an eyebrow and shift my stance to be less tense, "So, I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say you two are twins?"

"That's right," the older twin quickly responds, "I'm Keiji and this is my brother Kenji. And if you plan to mess with him, you have to go through me first!"

"Don't remember saying anything like that," I roll my eyes, "And I'm guessing that thing in Kenji's arms is what hit me in the face when I opened the door?"

Kenji steps forward a bit and lifts the creature up from underneath its paws like a puppy or kitten so I can see it. He speaks in a much softer, quieter voice compared to his brother, "This is Virgil. He's my Partner. And he's sorry for injuring you."

"Wait, what? That thing is your Partner? What is it, an angel, or something?"

"Indeed," and now the fucking cat thing is talking and it's voice sounds like a slightly more feminine version of Ramiel's. It proceeds to bow its fucking head to me and continues, "And I do apologize for harming you in any way. Please accept my apology."

"Ok that...that's....just...just tell me what you two can do."

Keiji speaks up, "I can make protective shields and armor, and Kenji can team up with Virgil to attack enemies! Together we-"

"That's all I needed to hear. I'm going to head to my room. I need to lie down," I'm already moving before any of them can object to my decision. I'd go get a drink, but I doubt they have alcohol in a city that prides itself on being "oh so righteous".

"But what about your introduction!? You didn't say anything about yourself!" Aria shouts as I reach the stairs.

"I'll do it tomorrow or something," I stopped paying attention by this point and am just saying whatever to get them off my back. I'm just so done with everything right now. To the point where I don't even realize when I finally make it to my room. I just open the door, lock it behind me, throw my backpack in some random corner, then flop down on the bed.

Sleep takes me moments after.

And this headache better be gone by the time I get up.

Last edited:
Chapter 7: Dinner Surprise
The first thing I notice after waking from my slumber is that my headache is gone. Which is good, cause it means I won't have to deal with it all day long.

The second thing I notice is that the bed I'm lying in is not mine, or at least not my usual one. Which is bad, cause it means everything that happened before wasn't a dream.

A groan leaves my lips as I open my eyes to complete darkness and the smell of freshly washed sheets. Then I start to push myself up using my elbows, and the darkness turns to pillow with a white covering over it. I try to avoid putting any pressure on my bad leg as I turn myself over onto my back. Then I sit up and get a good look at the room I'll be staying in for the next two years.

I was on a king sized single bed surrounded by walls that were painted a blinding white like everything else in this place. The monotone color scheme was broken by the polished brown wood desk in the corner to the left of the door, and the black and gold trunk next to it on the floor. Guessing that's chest the Archangel was talking about. Meaning most, if not all, the money to my name is currently sitting in my room and completely open to anyone taking it without my knowledge.

Joy. At least there was a lock on it, so it wouldn't be that easy.

The rest of the room is relatively unremarkable. There's another door to my left that I assume leads to a closet, what looks like an off-white laundry basket for my clothes, and a single fan hanging from the ceiling with light bulbs in it. I turned around and saw a single closed window, the orange light of the afternoon sun filtering through the golden curtains around it.

Hmph. Place is nicer than I thought. Good to know that Moldo and Ramiel didn't completely drop the ball on this whole thing. But as good as this place looks, it could use a...personal touch. And no time like the present to...fuck where'd I put my cane?

My head swivels around the place until my eyes lock onto the sight of my walking stick laying on the bright, brown carpet. I must've let it drop my hand in my hurry to sleep off this headache. And, of course, it was just far enough away that I would have to either get up and try to walk on my bad leg, or lean over and try to not fall over onto the floor. Just my luck.

With an annoyed sigh I scoot myself to the edge of the bed. I move both of my legs over to let my feet touch the floor. I've still got my shoes on, but I at least made sure to keep them off the bed. I count backwards from five before slowly pushing myself to my feet. I start with my good leg, putting most of the pressure on it. It goes smoothly and I carefully shift to doing the same with my left and-

A sharp, needle like pain shooting up my thigh into my spine forces me back into sitting on the edge of the bed. I grit my teeth in frustration while I shake my head. Looks like we're going with Plan B then. I start leaning down, reaching towards the idle cane with my right hand as I go. I get about halfway to it when the door suddenly bursts open. My head swivels to see the absolute impossibility, Mako, standing in the doorway. One of her hands is on the door while her...tail is wagging up a storm.

"Mr. Crowley! Dinner's...," her words die as she see the predicament I'm currently in. Her flat...ears flop to the side as she tilts her head in confusion, "What are you doing?"

"Doing some morning exercises, what does it look like?" I roll my eyes before turning my attention back to my cane. Just...a bit...farther and I-

By the time I notice I've gone too far, it's too late. I feel my weight fall from the bed and my vision shifts as I start hurtling towards the floor. I do what I can to turn to my side right side so it takes the brunt of the fall. I brace myself for when the feeling of soft carpet mixed with the hard floor beneath it, but it never comes. Instead, I feel someone grab me by my shoulder and pull me to my feet.

My rescuer is revealed to be Mako. She somehow managing to close the distance from the door to my side, grab me by my shoulder, then lift a fully grown man up with one hand. Her eyes are filled with worry as she stares at me, moving to put herself underneath my arm to hold me up. She asks me, "Are you ok, Mr. Crowley?! Are you hurt? Should I go get Amilia?"

"No, I'm fine," I point towards the black, silver headed cane on the floor, "Just crouch down a bit so I can get my cane."

She follows my finger and then my instructions. I swipe my cane up, it's familiar material rubbing against my palm filling me a sense of confidence as I use it to stand up. Mako sees my posture change and moves out from under my arm. I straighten my clothes before turning to look at Mako. Here I notice that she's pretty tall. The top of her head reaches up to my neck. I ask her, "I'm guessing you used that speed you mentioned earlier?"

She nodded her head with a smile, "Yep! I saw you were falling, so I dashed right to your side and helped you up!"

"Hmm," is my only reply, "And what'd you come to tell me?"

"Hmm? Oh, right!" her eyes widen with realization, "Aria wanted me to come get you! She made dinner and doesn't want you to miss out."

That's surprising. Day's not even over yet and the kids are inviting me to their table. At least I can say they've got a good sense for hospitality. I tap my cane against the floor and nod, "Well, I'm not one to say no to free food. Tell Aria I'll be there in a couple of minutes."

"Yes, sir!" Mako does a clumsy salute then leans forward while tilting the top of her head towards me. My brow raises in confusion as I watch her do...whatever it is she's doing. Eventually, she straightens herself and turns to leave. As she skips towards the door I take notice of how her tail has stopped wagging. Wonder what that could mean.

Once she's gone I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in. I have...so many questions about that girl. Least of which is how the heck does her power work? Maybe I can get the answers at the dinner table. The thought of food sends my stomach growling. Last time I ate was before I started packing for this little trip. That was this morning, and now it was between the afternoon and evening.

Before I head out though...

I turn to the corner I tossed my backpack into. It's still there, water having dripped off it since I last had it. I walk over, open up the side pocket, pull out my, thankfully dry, filtered thermos, then head to the trunk. An iron key is sitting on top of it. I grab it, use it open the small lock on the front of the trunk, and push it open. Inside I find a white envelope that I'm guessing is filled with my "Solars". I chuck my backpack in, making sure to hide the envelope beneath its bulk. Then I close and lock the trunk, while placing the key into an empty compartment on my cane. I'll look into the envelope after I get something to eat, so my stomach isn't bothering me while I count.

Cane in one hand, thermos in the other, I head out the door and down the stairs. As I hit the first floor the smell of cooked meat hit my nose. Raising an eyebrow I followed the smell towards where I guessed the kitchen would be. The sound of grease popping and meat sizzling in a pan hit my ears when I finally turned a corner into the archway that lead to the kitchen.

There I saw Aria, her ponytail gone and replaced with a hair net, apron hanging off her shoulder, as she stood in front of an oven with a spatula in one hand and pan in another. To her right was a plastic bowl filled...are those porkchops?

"Mr. Crowley, you're here," she says without looking at me, taking her hand on the pan and pointing towards the plastic bowl on the counter, "Would you mind taking that bowl and putting it on the table for everyone?"

My eyes go from the bowl further to the right where I saw a large, rectangular table where everyone else was already sitting down. All the kids had their eyes on me...at first. Then they shifted to the fried meat on the kitchen counter as I got closer to it. I raise an eyebrow while placing my thermos into the crook of my arm, grab the bowl, and head towards the table. Plates have already been set out for everyone, so I take a seat at one end of the table, which puts me in between Keiji and Kenji. Fitting I suppose.

I ignore the angry glare Keiji sends me and hold out the food for him to take. He scowls, before his hunger wins out and he takes two out of the bowl. One he places on his own plate, the other he hands off to his brother right across from him. The meek boy gently takes the porkchop out of his older brother's hand, while I grab three out of the bowl for myself. Then I hand it to Keiji who proceeds to pass it to Amilia at his left.

Eventually, Aria joins us and we have a very quiet dinner. Which, in all honestly, I would've preferred. Quiet is better than all the brats yelling at each other and giving me another headache.

Unfortunately, Aria seemed keen on making sure I wasn't that lucky.

"So, Mr. Crowley," she begins after placing down her second porkchop.

I silently groan but reply, "Before you continue, let me be clear about something, you can all drop the 'Mr. Crowley' stuff. I'm not as old as I look...kind of."

"How old are you anyway?" this came from Keiji who sent a suspicious frown my way.

"How old do you think I am?" I quickly realized I shouldn't of said that when all the kids started to answer.

"About fifty," Aria.

"Um...maybe fifty-three?" Amilia.

"Old as Lord Ramiel," Keiji.

"Forty-five!" Mako, shouting this time.

I slowly turned to the only one who hadn't answered, Kenji. He flinched away from my gaze, but I kept on him by asking, "Care to add your guess to this, kid?"

"Uh, ah, um, I...I don't think it's polite to guess...someone's age," the kid was so quiet I had to strain my ears to hear his whole answer. Then he put his head down to avoid everyone's eyes being on him.

I just shook my head, questioning how someone so timid got to be a Chosen One. Then I turn back to the table with a shrug, "Well, sorry to disappoint but you're all wrong. Though, you did get close Aria."

"Really? Then how old are you?"

"Not telling."

"But you we told you all our powers earlier!"

"Yeah, you did. Your point, boy?" I meet Keiji's glare with one of my own. I was under no obligation to tell them anything I didn't want to. This was a good chance to remind them of that.

"It's ok, Keiji," Aria's gentle words made the young boy back down. Then she turned her attention to me, "Well then, Crowley, what will you tell us about yourself?"

"Don't know. Why do I have to tell you anything?"

"Because it's a good idea for the students to know who their new Caretaker is."

.....What did she just say?

"I'm sorry. Can you repeat that?"

"You're going to be our Caretaker. Didn't Lord Ramiel tell you?" she tilts her head in genuine confusion at my confusion.

Meaning she is not joking.

....Motherfuckers.

"And, when you say Caretaker, you mean just someone who lives with you all in the same house, right?"

Her shaking her head kills my spirits even more, "Lord Ramiel said that, starting tomorrow, you would be in charge of the house and all of us. You'd watch the house while we're at school, keep the fridge stocked, clean up the rooms, and we'd help you when we got home."

"....So, let me get this straight. I'm supposed to be your surrogate parent?" I look around at the various faces at the table. All just as confused as me.

But not confused at the current circumstance.

But confused at the fact that I was confused.

Meaning everyone knew about this except for me.

My head hits the table, and plate in front of me, with a clank.

Chapter 8: Dinner Discussion
"Um, Mr. Crowley?"

The feeling of someone poking my left shoulder roused me from my anger-induced stupor. I turned to see Kenji touching my shoulder with the blunt end of his fork. I must've been glaring because the kid...squeaked, for lack of a better word, and turned back to his food. With a groan I push my head off my plate, ignoring the snickering from Keiji and Mako at a stray porkchop hanging onto my cheek. I pull the offending piece of pork off and place it back on my plate. Then I start rubbing my temple with one hand while asking Aria, "Ok, Aria, right? You mind explaining exactly what the Archangel told you about my stay here?"

Her eyebrow rose in confusion at my question, "You really don't know? I thought Lord Ramiel or your city's leader would've informed you?"

"Yeah, well, I guess they just don't think telling me about this stuff is important," I wave my hand flippantly through the air, "The leaders of the Cities. Can take time out of the day to order you around, but not tell you all the details."

"Lord Ramiel isn't like that!" Keiji, right on cue, yells at me while standing up in his seat, "He always tells us everything we need to know, no exceptions!"

"Careful there, brat. Your childishness is showing," I lift my cane and hit him on the head with it. It's light enough not to cause any damage, but I put enough force behind it to make him back off.

"You-," he stands up, readying his fist to strike me.

"Keiji. Stop," Aria's stern tone makes him stop in his tracks. I see all the fight drain out of him the moment he turns his attention to her. Curious, I do the same and see her staring him down with one of those stares that mothers give their children when they do something bad. The kind that makes you immediately get tense and worried no matter what age you are. I should know, I was on the receiving end of that more than once from my own mother.

Keiji grits his teeth, but sits back down. Hmm, guess I know who wears the pants in this house.

"I apologize, Crowley. Please, allow me to explain," Aria leans back in her seat as she starts to speak, "Lord Ramiel informed us of the situation two weeks ago. He told us that, upon your arrival, you would take on the responsibilities of a Caretaker for us. Also, he wanted us to learn what we could from you."

Can't believe a damn kid is telling me more about my job than my fucking Magos did, "Learn, what exactly? Where the people of Melphis hide their collection of skulls and crossbones?"

Aria shakes her head, "No, about Demons and how to combat them."

"Shouldn't you already know that?" I'd like to think they should considering it's in their job description, "Don't those Clerics or Angels teach you that shit?"

"N-not necessarily," surprisingly, Amillia is the one who answers. She fidgets in her seat while trying to avoid my gaze, but continues to explain, "Our teachers...they only tell us that Demons are...bad and need to be stopped."

"And how to do exactly that," Keiji says, a proud smile on his face. But it soon turns into a frustrated frown, "But it's only ever obvious stuff, you know? Go for the heads or hearts, destroy their bodies, use holy magic, blah blah. Nothing about how they're summoned, what else they're weak to, or anything like that."

"That sounds fucking stupid."

"Crowley, I've been trying to ignore it but, could you cut back on the vulgar language? It's not nice," Aria sends the same glare she sent Keiji my way.

Too bad for her, I've built a resistance to it.

"Sorry, girl. You may be the boss of them, but you're not the boss of me," I lean back in my seat with a defiant look in my eye, "Besides, I'm right. They're sending you kids to fight Demons and don't even tell you everything about how they work? If the Clerics won't, then why not the Angels?"

The kids all share a look followed by synchronized nodding. Then Mako starts talking, "The Angels don't know more than the Clerics do. They all say that learning about Demons will lead to bad stuff happening to you."

"But Lord Ramiel sees it differently. He believes that we need to know our enemy inside and out if we're to form an actual offensive against them. But even he can't go against the majority of Clerics and Angels in Celestine."

"And that's where I come in. He's taking advantage of the whole 'exchange' thing to get you all close to someone who can teach you all there is to know about Demons," the teens all nod to confirm my guess. Well, well, well. Even the Archangel sees fit to be underhanded and sneaky sometimes.

I tap away at my plate with my fork as I mull the current situation over in my head. So, in addition to having to spend two years in the same house as these brats, I'm also expected to act as both their Caretaker and Teacher of all things involving Demons? On top of this, I'm expected to find clues and leads that will tell me where a bunch of extremists supposedly operating of Celestine are located. This job keeps getting more complicated and less appealing by the second. Probably why neither Moldo nor Ramiel gave me the full debrief. They knew I'd jump ship if they told me I'd be responsible for all this shit.

Then again, guess I'm the fucking idiot for choosing to do this in the first place. No point in complaining now.

"Alright," I say with a shrug as everyone turns their eyes to me, "I get the picture. I won't argue with the Archangel...not this time anyway."

"So, you'll teach us then?" Keiji actually sounds a bit excited at the prospect of me telling them what I know.

"Don't really have a choice, kid. Bit of a warning, I'm not exactly the teaching type. Don't be surprised if I don't tell you everything. And to keep a bit of my word from earlier, you can all ask me two questions before I head off to sleep for the night," might as well get this outta the way now so I don't have to deal with it when I wake up.

I immediately regret saying that, however, when Keiji and Mako start trying to talk over each other for their questions. I manage to beat Aria to telling both of them to quiet down. Keiji drops back into his seat, while Mako slumps into hers with her...ears flat against her head. Not sure if I'll ever get used to that sight.

A sigh leaves my lips as I point to Aria with my cane, "Alright, you go first."

"How do Summoners summon Demons?"

"We make Contracts with them."

"How do you make a Contract?"

"Call their name, say what you want, shake on it or sign a paper depending on the Demon," I point to Kenji at my left, "You're up."

"Ah! Um, ah, um...are there any nice Demons?" he asks while looking up at me from behind Virgil his..pet angel...yeah gonna need to ask about that at some point too.

"Nope," I say without a single hint of doubt.

"You're sure?"

"Positive," at least not any I've met. They usually fall into one of two categories. Stab me from the front, or try to stab me in the back. No go-between. I point to Amillia, "You, next."

"Um, what happened to your leg?" she points towards my left side for emphasis.

I look down at my bum leg, scowling at the offending appendage. Like Hell, I'm telling them where this came from. I look back at her and shrug, "Workplace-related accident. Not a big deal."

"Oh...do you want Aria to heal it?"

Me and Aria share a glance at each other. She nods and gets out of her seat, "I could. It would be quick and easy. Let me just-"

"Thanks but no thanks, girl," I wave my hand and shake my head no, "I'm cool with waiting for this thing to heal on its own."

"But isn't living with it a hassle?" she asks me with a confused look on her face.

"Sure, but I've learned to deal with it. Part of being an adult," another shrug from me turns her expression from confusion into frustration. She sits back down and gestures for me to continue. I point to Keiji, "Your turn, brat."

"Don't call me a brat!"

I hit him on the head again, "While I'm your teacher, I'll call you whatever I want. Got it, brat?"

He scowls while rubbing the top of his head with one hand. Then he mumbles a quiet, "Fine", before asking his first question, "Do you need to sacrifice virgins for your Contracts with Demons?!"

"....Ok, who the fuck told you that dumb ass shit?"

"Doesn't matter! Is it true or not?!" he stares me down with an angry.

...He's...he's serious about this?

I look at the other kids and see Aria, Amillia, and Kenji with their heads in their hands. Mako's simply giggling at Keiji's question. I turn back to the black-haired brat and say with as flat a voice as I can muster, "Yeah, brat. We always make sure to have the freshest of virgins for our Summoning Rituals that take place in underground caverns away from prying eyes."

"I knew it! You-Ow! Stop that!" he rubs his head where I hit him again.

"Only if you stop being an idiot. Of course, we don't sacrifice virgins! That's fucking stupid! If you wanted to do that, you'd have to constantly search for one to keep summoning just one Demon at a time. It's completely inefficient. Not to mention put a big dent in your population. What are you gonna do when you start running low on virgins cause no one's left to have any kids?" I really wanna know where he got this idea from, so I can find out who told him and smack them in the face for being so stupid.

"Well, what do you have to do besides making a Contract?"

"We, uh, we sacrifice something. But usually something of our own. Preferably something easily replaceable, and that we have on hand," I don't go further than that. No need to explain all the nitty-gritty details. Thankfully, the answer seems to placate Keiji. So I turn my attention to the...dog girl. I point my cane at her and nod.

She lifts her head but keeps her eyes focused on the table. She shifts around a bit before speaking with a melancholy tone, "Did I...um...did I do something wrong?"

"Huh?" oh, god, what is this now?

"Um, when I went to wake you up today. Did I do something bad?" when she finally turns to look at me I can see droplets of water gathering at the edge of her eyes.

"What are you talking about?"

"Wait...uh, Crowley, did you pet Mako after she woke you up?" Amillia asks me while leaning on the table, staring at me with uncharacteristically judging eyes.

"Pet? You mean, like, rub her head or something?" I'm suddenly reminded of when she tilted her head towards me after she helped me get my cane. Was that what she was doing? Asking for...pets? When Amillia nods her head yes, I shake my head no, "No. I didn't."

One moment the entire table was silent.

The next, everyone but Mako was yelling at me.

"You idiot!"

"How could you do that?!"

"What is wrong with you?!"

"That's..that's not good, Mr. Crowley!"

I'm forced to press my back against my seat at both the number and volume of admonishments the kids send my way. Even Kenji, normally quiet and silent, yells at me for my apparent transgression. I look between them and defensively ask, "What?! What the hell did I do wrong!?"

"You didn't pet Mako, you heartless bastard!" Keiji responds.

"Keiji! Language!" Aria admonishes him, before turning back to me, "But he's right, Crowley. You're supposed to pet Mako when she does a good job."

"What? Like a dog? But she's not a dog! She's a fucking human! That would be demeaning wouldn't it?"

Amilia pipes up while hugging and comforting Mako in her arms, "She's half-human, half-canine. And she likes it! It makes her happy."

"And Alcohol makes me happy. That doesn't mean it's good for me!"

"Well, it is for her!"

"How'd she even get like that anyway? And please don't tell me it has to do with her family tree."

"No, it came from when she was Chosen by her Angel."

"Chosen by her Angel?" is that why these kids are called 'Chosen'? I thought that was supposed to be a play on 'Chosen Ones' like in storybooks and shit.

"When we reach ten years of age," Aria begins, calming herself and sitting down, "We are taken to a room filled with Angels. There we wait until one of the Angels comes to us and agrees to Bond with us. That is what gives us our powers. However, sometimes the Bonding process can cause...changes to the person. Sometimes minor and sometimes major."

"Mako got turned into a dog person," Kenji starts to explain, his timid nature reasserting itself as he sat back down, "And..well..she likes things that...dogs like. Not the food or treats or anything like that. More like...petting and playing catch."

"So, we all agreed that we would pet her whenever she did a good job. It makes her happy, and she's fine with it. Understand?" Keiji says still staring me down.

I'm about to protest until I spot Mako looking at me out of the corner of my eye. You know those look puppies and sad dogs give you? The ones that tug on your heartstrings and make you want to take them home or give them a treat or something? Yeah, take that then put it on a human face and add the ability to cry on command. That's how she was looking at me the entire time.

And while that did tug on my frayed heartstrings a little, it was the secondary realization I made after looking at how everyone reacted to the knowledge that I didn't pet her when she asked. That if I didn't pet her when she did a good job, I'd have to deal with this exact situation.

Everyday.

For. Two. Years.

....My stubbornness has its limits.

"F...fine," I groan while waving my free hand through the air, "I'm sorry I didn't...pet you. You didn't do anything wrong. Thanks for...for getting me up and all that."

With a gasp, Mako returned to her bubbly self. Her tail started wagging like crazy as she shot up from her chair with her hand pointed towards the sky, "Then, can I get my pets now? Please?"

"Um....sure?" she bolts from her chair to my left side. Almost makes me jump when she leans forward, the top of her head and ears pointed towards me. All the other kids encourage me to go ahead, while I just nervously stare at Mako. With little idea of what I'm doing, I reach out and place my left hand on the top of her head.

Her hair is...smooth? I guess? I don't really know how to describe it. But I can say it was easy to move my hand through. It glided across her scalp with ease, her head following my palm as I went. I keep it up for what feels like a few minutes and kind of get into it. That is until I realize that I'm basically rubbing the head of a fully grown human girl and looks like a dog.

Then that uncomfortable feeling in my stomach comes back.

"Ok, that's enough," I pull my hand away and stand up, "Everyone's asked their questions, so I'm gonna go hit the sack. See you all the morning."

I turn before anyone can protest my absence. Though all the kids do yell goodnight to me as I leave. I don't reply, head towards the stairs, and sigh as I get close to my room. The sun has long since set and I can feel the sluggishness from having a full stomach already taking effect.

Well, I guess that wasn't so bad for my first dinner with these kids.

Now, let's get some rest.

I've got a busy day tomorrow.

Got people to meet, a city to see, but most importantly a room to booby trap.

Back