So I've been re-watching HTTYD1/2 recently and searching for fics and noticed this didn't exist so I though I'd start it with some recs. Assuming I can find the ones I read before thinking of this :/

Recs

• Siding with Them - Thrown off a cliff and captured by the tribe's greatest (human) enemy; how could things get any worse? A moment of sacrifice (and a dash of magic) leads poor Hiccup on an adventure of trust and fear that will leave him forever (physically) changed. Hiccup is transformed into a dragon - It takes place through the whole of HTTYD1 and is complete. I like it quite a bit though there are parts taken from the movie that don't feel right to me with how things are changed.
  • Soul of a Dragon - Valka missed her son more and more with each passing year. Therefore, she decided to come back to Berk and see him, even if only from afar.
  • Valka's Revelation - Valka wasn't sure what to think when she first encountered the young man riding a Night Fury. He was nothing like she expected him to be, and his communication with the dragons perplexed her until she realized that he was her son. With their family, she had anticipated that he would have inherited their gift. She just hadn't imagined that he would have gotten more of it than anyone from their family lineage ever had before. Slightly AU, but mostly canon supported.
  • Everything We Know About Them (Is Wrong) - Everyone in your village knows to never, ever, touch a live dragon. If you touch a dragon when its alive, it marks you, and if you get marked, you get taken. - Uses something similar to Inheritance Cycle dragon rider bonding.
  • Hiccup At Large - Hiccup flies off with Toothless after the battle with Hookfang in the first movie and meets his mother. Meanwhile Astrid attempts to get through to Stoick and fix the mess. COMPLETE. - After Toothless rescues Hiccup in the arena they escape together rather than getting captured.

Last edited:
Ifwe're doing recs then I cannot rec becoming Lifbrasir enough! Complete, with a sequel and touches on a bit of viking culture

Becoming Lífþrasir
People often wondered what kept Hiccup going during those early years. When that single, most-treasured thing is taken from him, there is little left to keep him on Berk. The day Stoick returns, and the day before the best recruit is finally chosen, Hiccup leaves Berk; little knowing that he would one day return under ... strange circumstances. H/A, R/F, rated for violence.
How to Train Your Dragon - Rated: T - English - Family/Adventure - Chapters: 23 - Words: 121,591 - Reviews: 968 - Favs: 3,045 - Follows: 1,204 - Updated: Aug 14, 2014 - Published: Jan 24, 2014 - [Hiccup, Astrid] Stoick - Complete

A Thing Of Vikings - Chapter 1 - athingofvikings - How to Train Your Dragon (Movies) [Archive of Our Own]

A thing of vikings.

It takes from the first film, with the rest solely as a source of ideas. The thing is, it's set in 1040. And now there's a small village of proudly pagan norse, with distinctly 21st century morals in the middle of the fading of the viking age - and they're now a superpower, having an airforce in a time when knights on horseback is the latest military development.

Bit late, but I just found this fic and thread recently, and I would like to second this rec.

Honestly my favorite part of the fic is how the author goes out of their way to explain how the cultural differences between the protagonists and the rest of the world with a lot of worldbuilding that fills in the blanks of canon, eg: Berk has no thralls because in the middle of a raid a chief yelled that any thrall who fought dragons would be freed and they eventually wrote into law that every thrall would be freed to encourage thralls to immigrate for freedom, because no one else would willingly join a village that's under constant dragon attack.
My second favorite part is the characterization, which makes it clear that while the vikings of Berk are doing big things, they are still human, and have a ton of flaws, like Hiccup being both a genius with inventions and, for the first dozen or so chapters, incredibly naive about politics.
Then there's the little snippets from in-universe history books talking about the events and characters, which I really enjoy.

The author has been active long enough that I'm pretty sure this one won't suddenly end halfway like so many other good fics, and that's always a plus.

Bit of a late reply, but yeah, Thing of Vikings is good.
as for ideas, i always liked the Tidal class dragons for some reason...

wish there were more fics with them..

Last edited:
A Thing Of Vikings - Chapter 1 - athingofvikings - How to Train Your Dragon (Movies) [Archive of Our Own]

A thing of vikings.

It takes from the first film, with the rest solely as a source of ideas. The thing is, it's set in 1040. And now there's a small village of proudly pagan norse, with distinctly 21st century morals in the middle of the fading of the viking age - and they're now a superpower, having an airforce in a time when knights on horseback is the latest military development.

Bit late, but I just found this fic and thread recently, and I would like to second this rec.

Honestly my favorite part of the fic is how the author goes out of their way to explain how the cultural differences between the protagonists and the rest of the world with a lot of worldbuilding that fills in the blanks of canon, eg: Berk has no thralls because in the middle of a raid a chief yelled that any thrall who fought dragons would be freed and they eventually wrote into law that every thrall would be freed to encourage thralls to immigrate for freedom, because no one else would willingly join a village that's under constant dragon attack.
My second favorite part is the characterization, which makes it clear that while the vikings of Berk are doing big things, they are still human, and have a ton of flaws, like Hiccup being both a genius with inventions and, for the first dozen or so chapters, incredibly naive about politics.
Then there's the little snippets from in-universe history books talking about the events and characters, which I really enjoy.

The author has been active long enough that I'm pretty sure this one won't suddenly end halfway like so many other good fics, and that's always a plus.

With the release of the third movies trailer I "third" this rec

Unfortunately it focuses on berk but its more fascinating to see the ripple effects of tamed dragons to the world

A thing of vikings.

I've read only the first chapter of this and I already love it :)

I was liking A Thing of Vikings but ultimately dropped it because of all the romance. There was such a major focus on Hiccup and Astrid that it became too much of a drag to read through that to get to the interesting sociopolitical stuff. Don't get me wrong, the romance does explore some of the characters and their chemistry/dynamics, but it's still primarily fluffy young love. And then there's everyone looking at them and exclaiming over how they have young love. If you enjoy romance, I'd rec it, but otherwise the romance acts like a lot of padding to an already slow-build story and I found myself bored.

I haven't completely dropped it over the romance, but I've been skimming since around chapter 46 when I finally got sick of the Hiccup/Astrid/Wulfhild polygamy plot, which felt really forced after everything the Hiccup/Astrid part established, and which involves far too few dragons for my liking.

Has there been any crossover fics between the HTTYD books and movies, cause I can't help but feel like it'd be fun to see the two versions of Hiccup discuss and compare their lives and settings, what with stuff like how dragons can speak their own language that humans can learn in the books or the vast differences between the kind of dragons Book!Toothless and Movie!Toothless are.

That, and this piece of fanart really makes me want to see that kind of stuff:

I hear him Scream. An AU Story where Hiccup is turned into a Dragon by Toothless after shooting him down and its somehow all spirals out of control from there. Very good story i enjoy going back to over and over. Part of a Series

How to Escape a Dragon's Fate. Book Hiccup washing along Dragon's Edge after being shoot trying to get to Tomorrow. Still a WIP, but enjoyable.

Nightfall. Hiccup is kidnapped as a baby along with his mother. He and Toothless get shoot down over Berk during a dragon raid. Part of a Series...a very big series

Hitchups. Where Hiccup didn't try to stop Astrid from running away and just flew away on Toothless. A coming-of-age tale. Deviates HEAVILY from movie.

Here's an idea for a crossover between Amphibia and how to train your Dragon. The idea is pretty simple, the dragons of HTTYD start to appear in Amphibia, with enough of each species to establish a population. The obvious exception being the night furies, unless of course you want to come up with a reason for why there would be.

To continue my thought on my idea. You can have it be when the girls first arrive. obviously the amphibian would be freaking out about these giant unknown creatures coming out of nowhere, while the girls, even if they are from the HTTYD universe, would recognize the dragons as dragons. And depending on how each of the girls responses to the dragon, could lead to multiple factions in Amphibia forming around on how to handle them. Is there a chance that some amphibians would blame the arrival of the dragons on the girls? Absolutely.

Back