How should infantry combat in low/zero gravity work?

I have been playing a lot of Shattered Horizon lately and I love it. I'm also a fan of Boundary before it got cancelled. Moving and shooting in all three dimensions is such a simple change that massively changes how strategy and combat works. Using terrain to hide from enemies or to flank them is a lot more enthralling; 3D movement makes dodging attacks much easier. All explosives are airburst and having them go off at just the right location is a fun challenge. It made me wonder, if there was real life combat on a space station or a moon or an asteroid or any other low-gravity environment, what would be practical?

Guns would be even more effective in outer space than they are on Earth. Guns bring their own oxidizer. In a vacuum, guns aren't affected by gravity, wind, and are effectively silent. You shoot at a target and the bullet keeps going in that direction forever. Any puncture on a spacesuit can be lethal if not quickly patched up. Running would be difficult so some type of boost or thrusters would be needed to quickly change direction. For combat inside of a pressurized vessel, low-powered weapon would be needed to not cause a fissure. As for vehicles, some type of aircraft powered by thrusters would make the most sense. A ground vehicle would likely be slow and have little traction. Combat spacesuits should be armored against small arms.

I wish there were more stories that covered this.

Back