How can Indian Heroes in the mold of Arjuna, Karna fit in Marvel/DC

Regency

PFP by vanathema (previously yubishines)
Pronouns
They/Them
To be more precise it what role could they play there, and how will the power they bring in make changes in the respective verses (comic books' tendency for reboots and Status Quo maintaining notwithstanding). Heroes in the mold of the examples presented can wield energy/magic weapons, the Astras, which can have various effects from barriers and traps to nukes and world busters (universal even, but that probably should be left for the 'endgame'/big arc ending), and a greater influence of Hindu deities. Of course this mixed both ancient mythical Hindu values, their deities' shenanigans, and the modern comic book world.

They might actually get something done! Change and advancement! At least until the omniscient god being drops the curse of the status quo on them.

A big question is, do you have them set in India, or do you have them in New York a lot, mingling with the other heroes? One in an Avengers team would be nice.

They might actually get something done! Change and advancement! At least until the omniscient god being drops the curse of the status quo on them.

Heroes get stuff done. They don't change the whole world, but they can definitely change towns and cities- prevent them from getting destroyed, root out major criminal operations, etc..

A big question is, do you have them set in India, or do you have them in New York a lot, mingling with the other heroes? One in an Avengers team would be nice.

Heroes get stuff done. They don't change the whole world, but they can definitely change towns and cities- prevent them from getting destroyed, root out major criminal operations, etc..

*Stares at post in amusement* Sure they do. Sure they do. So how's things going on in DC or Marvel these days? Still lookin awfully similar to our world? Almost as if the god-lings and super-tech hanging around doesn't seem to get much done. Almost as if the continuity of the worlds sometimes seem to.....reset.

*Stares at post in amusement* Sure they do. Sure they do. So how's things going on in DC or Marvel these days? Still lookin awfully similar to our world? Almost as if the god-lings and super-tech hanging around doesn't seem to get much done. Almost as if the continuity of the worlds sometimes seem to.....reset.
Say, what if there are permanent changes this heroes bring in? I mean, the reset rule of comics ignored in this case.
EDIT:
I'd say first starting in India, and then moving to mingle with other heroes (Metropolis/Star City in DC and NY in Marvel.)

Last edited:
Say, what if there are permanent changes this heroes bring in? I mean, the reset rule of comics ignored in this case.

*shrugs* Depends on where you start them, their willingness to upset the status quo, their power as individuals/as a group, etc. Oh and the time period for Marvel/DC of course. Civil War for example is a rather explosive situation that could be resolved....differently with outside interference.

Oh, there's a lot more high-tech organizations, better equipped militaries, and specific areas where higher tech is more common. Like, you can reasonably go to an advanced school in Marvel and learn at least some super-science related things, and they have a much bigger space presence there (so does oldDC for that matter, but, like, Marvel has SWORD, a space-based agency in charge of handling alien stuff. You could reasonably get a job there). Cybernetics are a thing, if not a very common thing. They are by far better at rebuilding after disasters. They're more advanced than us, it's just society-changing techs tend to hit at the same rate.

There *are* changes caused by all the hero stuff and the damage caused by villain stuff, it's just not stuff that's totally reshaped the world and to be fair to them, a very large chunk of it goes to counteracting the negative effects of supervillains, alien invasions, and evil organizations wrecking havoc.

DC I'm largely skipping since they have incredibly loose continuity nowadays, and I don't have a clear picture of their stuff as much/it's less clear if there is a how-it-works thought out as much.

Make them ancient aliens. It fits rather well when you consider quotes like

(It was) a single projectile charged with all the power of the Universe. An incandescent column of smoke and flame as bright as the thousand suns rose in all its splendor… An iron thunderbolt, a gigantic messenger of death, which reduced to ashes the entire race of the Vrishnis and the Andhakas…. the corpses were so burned as to be unrecognizable. The hair and nails fell out; pottery broke without apparent cause, and the birds turned white…. after a few hours all foodstuffs were infected…. to escape from this fire, the soldiers threw themselves in streams to wash themselves and their equipment.

it blaze up with terrible flames within a huge sphere of fire.Numerous peals of thunder were heard; thousands of meteors fell; and all living creatures became terrified with great dread. The entire welkin seemed to be filled with noise and assumed a terrible aspect with those flames of fire. The whole earth with her mountains and waters and trees, trembled.". When it strikes an area it will cause complete destruction and nothing will grow even a blade of grass for next 12 years.It will not rain for 12 years in that area and everything including metal,earth become poisoned

And fact that Vimana is also the modern Hindi word for aircraft, same word used in the Vedas to refer to flying machines that rained down dearth and fought each other with seeking arrows. Seriously there is ton of reference to what seem like smart weapons. Arrows that seek out target. Arrows that intercept arrows. Flying machines with seeking arrows...

To be more precise it what role could they play there, and how will the power they bring in make changes in the respective verses (comic books' tendency for reboots and Status Quo maintaining notwithstanding). Heroes in the mold of the examples presented can wield energy/magic weapons, the Astras, which can have various effects from barriers and traps to nukes and world busters (universal even, but that probably should be left for the 'endgame'/big arc ending), and a greater influence of Hindu deities. Of course this mixed both ancient mythical Hindu values, their deities' shenanigans, and the modern comic book world.

I'm sorry, but what? Why exactly should they be forced to be twisted into the no-doubt themeparkified version of what comic books would do to Hinduism (also, uh... kinda forgetting all the Muslim Indians, you know?). Why can't they just be regular grabbag origin story superheroes?

For example, just to bring up one example, around 1/20th of the UK population has subcontinental origins. That means around 1/20th of the UK's heroes should be people who invented some super advanced technology they use to fight crime, fused with an alien and got powers from it, got hit by lightning and got powers over electricity, or insert whatever generic origin story you like here... and just happen to be of Pakistani, Indian or Bangladeshi heritage.

Oh wait. UK in comic books means that your powers have a disproportionate chance of being Jolly British. Well, my fact still stands. They can still get their powers from drinking tea or from being the reincarnation of King Arthur.

I'm sorry, but what? Why exactly should they be forced to be twisted into the no-doubt themeparkified version of what comic books would do to Hinduism (also, uh... kinda forgetting all the Muslim Indians, you know?). Why can't they just be regular grabbag origin story superheroes?

For example, just to bring up one example, around 1/20th of the UK population has subcontinental origins. That means around 1/20th of the UK's heroes should be people who invented some super advanced technology they use to fight crime, fused with an alien and got powers from it, got hit by lightning and got powers over electricity, or insert whatever generic origin story you like here... and just happen to be of Pakistani, Indian or Bangladeshi heritage.

Oh wait. UK in comic books means that your powers have a disproportionate chance of being Jolly British. Well, my fact still stands. They can still get their powers from drinking tea or from being the reincarnation of King Arthur.
My apologies, I'm not saying that all superheroes from India must be of Hindu Pantheon variety, and being muslim I also recognize the issues that can be explored with such characters (since it's an ongoing problem in India with religious conflicts between muslims, Sikhs, and Hindu). What I want to see is the kind of mythic characters the like of DC's Amazons and Greek Pantheon and Marvel's Asgardians, no themeparked version (or at least minimal adjustments).
EDIT: Also wow I just realized Earth Scorpion has put in his 2 cents in my thread. Your fics are great, btw.

Last edited:

I can only think of like 8 UK superheroes off the top of my head and Excalibur is of Pakistani origin. Then Blade's black, one's an alien (John the Skrull), Captain British is upper class white British, Pete Wisdom is lower class white British, Spitfire is upper class white British, Psylocke is a white Brit in a Chinese body (comics everyone!), and Constantine is Constantine.

But that's from a purely American perspective, it's been a while since I really read comics.

Back