Genre and Religion

Some time ago, I was talking to a close friend of mine about a writing project of his, and I realized something that absolutely blew my mind.

He's writing a Christian scifi serial, and we were talking about some of the setting's assumptions that would need to be spelled out for the benefit of non-Christian readers. In the process, we started talking about another fantasy project of his, and he told me that it was also Christian fantasy, just less explicitly. It had never occurred to me that it was, and he was completely nonchalant about it.

And then, I realized something. For him, Christian fantasy isn't just a genre of choice. Its the default genre, because according to his worldview that's the world we actually live in. For him, the existence of God, angels, demons, and magic (that last one being caused by the actions of the former) are elements of reality, just like the laws of thermodynamics or the historical record, and there's no difference between them and all the other parts of reality that he can draw from in storycrafting. Granted, he doesn't believe that angels and magic are as obvious and intrusive in the real world as they are in his stories, but fundamentally its the same kind of world with the same causal forces.

Another step from there: if he were to write a realistic modern or historical drama with no speculative elements at all, it would STILL be - from my perspective - a fantasy novel, because the world that he's describing still informed by his beliefs about the real one, and so he's still writing about world in which supernatural beings and forces exist even if they aren't relevant to the story at hand.

Going further still: if he were to specifically exclude Christian theology from a story and write about an atheistic setting, from his perspective - and again, even if there were no supernatural or science fictional elements - he'd be writing some type of fantasy set in a world, unlike his view of the real one, where there is no god or magic.

So, what does the "fantasy" label actually mean? From my perspective, there are many, many people alive today who believe they are living in a world more akin to some fantasy novels than to the one I believe we live in...and presumably, they think the same about me.

Last edited:
Going further still: if he were to specifically exclude Christian theology from a story and write about an atheistic setting, from his perspective - and again, even if there were no supernatural or science fictional elements - he'd be writing some type of fantasy set in a world unlike the real one where there is no god or magic.

I think you're betting way too much on your perspective that his perspective is absolute fantasy even if he's not depicting it as such in his story.

In other words, you're coloring his works with your lenses of "every religious person is living a delusion". Not cool.

Last edited:
I think you're betting way too much on your perspective that his perspective is absolute fantasy even if he's not depicting it as such in his story.

In other words, you're coloring his works with your lenses of "every religious person is living a delusion". Not cool.

My meaning was that his view of the world correlates to my definition of "a fantasy setting," and that the same may also be true in reverse. The word "fantasy" is a loaded one here, but I'm not sure how else to phrase it.

I think you misread that line. The point was that to his friend, writing an atheistic universe would be as much fantasy as writing about angels and saints would be to Blake.

Someone more knowledgeable than me can possible answer but it's just as easy for me to see the term sprouting up because worlds that are completely alien is "fantastical".

Some of their underlying metaphysics are common to people in the real world but, in the world modern people live in, seeing dragons in the flesh and magical nations unbothered by the fruits of science and industry does indeed count as fantasy.

Other than that...I suppose I could defend the lazy view and say that you can get too philosophical about a term. Fantasy is a genre about mysticism and magic. It's good enough, and removes any chance of someone going "the empiricist/materialist believes in magic!"

Some people find the views of the empiricist/materialist absurd, but we don't generally consider them magical in the same way that someone casting spells is. And in the places where they are considered the same...well, I doubt they set the definition now did they?

I think you misread that line. The point was that to his friend, writing an atheistic universe would be as much fantasy as writing about angels and saints would be to Blake.
Oh. Right. It does look that way on rereading it...

Yeah, 'fantasy' is definitely not the word to use for your (Blake) friend's perspective while he's writing an un-Christian universe. It isn't introducing 'fantastical' elements that are strictly not covered by his real-world's view of the mundane (which includes Christian beliefs). The un-Christian universe in the story is a subset of his view of the real-world; and in it some things work *exactly the same* and some others not at all.

I have no idea what I'd call that, though.

Back