General Movies Thread

It seemed weird to me that we have no general movies thread, for discussion of all the flicks that maybe don't warrant a thread of their own. Which is a pity, because there's lots of good stuff out there that can get overlooked! With that in mind, here's this thread, for discussing smaller movies that may not get the same attention as the huge blockbusters. Here's a few coming up this year that might catch your interest!

The Invisible Man

After the the Dark Universe went down a black hole, Universal Studios is trying a new approach with its classic monsters. We can only hope this film lives up to the legacy of that other great invisible stalker movie of the modern era... Hollow Man? Am I reading this right?

Antebellum

Alternate reality? Racist conspiracy? Who knows, but if we're lucky we'll get to see a lot of slave owners die in this one, which as Dave Chapelle noted, is always a good time

The Personal History of David Copperfield

Dev Patel is in two interesting movies this year. This is one of them.

The French Dispatch

Wes Anderson Wes Andersons it up. If you're familiar with his work, you already know if you like the weird cotton candy dollhouse world he lives in, with its undercurrents of horror and sadness.

The Green Knight

Dev Patel is in two interesting movies this year. This is the other on--HOLY SHIT DID YOU SEE THAT HAND?

Anyway, there's some movies! Hardly a comprehensive list because some of the more interesting releases this year like the Dune remake or the new Bill and Ted movie don't have trailers yet. Also you can't post more than five pieces of media at a time.

If I missed something you're looking forward to this year and that doesn't have a giant megathread about it already up, or if you want to talk about a movie from past years that didn't get talked about much around here, please mention it in the comments below!

Last edited:
First trailer for the new Candyman movie, produced and co-written by Jordan Peele, just dropped:

Looks good! Recently watched the original for the first time, and while I liked it a fair bit it left me feeling unsatisfied, as it doesn't really drill down into the ideas it raises about racial conflict and the power of myth. Looks like this one is definitely going to re-explore that stuff through the lens of gentrification, which seems like a very smart decision.

Last edited:
Watched a couple of movies these week: Petey Wheatstraw: The Devil's Son-in-Law a classic Rudy Ray Moore Blaxploitation movie, and Parasite. As I said in the opening post, I'd like this thread to be a place where people can post their thoughts on obscure movies, movies they've only just gotten around to, and movies that just aren't able to sustain a thread of their own. I feel these both fit the bill.

If you're into the Blaxploitation genre, or enjoyed Black Dynamite, you'll probably get a kick out of Petey Wheatstraw. Better than Rudy Ray Moore's original Dolemite movie (which has a lot of dead air in it) but not as good as Human Tornado. This is a movie in which you get to see the devil go for a morning jog in his red and black tracksuit, before stopping over to see Rudy Ray Moore and invite him to a demonic bordello where he gets to see a bunch of devil titties. You won't be bored. Also, if you're into this sort of stuff, really watch last year's Dolemite is My Name, it's a great movie and Eddie Murphy's best work in years.

Parasite, meanwhile, well, it just won best picture so there's not much for me to say that hasn't already been said a bunch. The first half is broadly comedic, the second half is nerve-wracking tension. I will say, in a movie about class conflict it shows a lot of restraint to not depict the elites as overt assholes, but merely to imply it by context. I've seen some reviews of this movie by rich critics in the intelligentsia who seem to have missed that those characters are assholes, though. When you boil down the impact it has on the lives of the downtrodden, there is relatively little difference between intentional malice and apathetic disconnect. In some ways it is worse to realize there is something unseemly about your engagement with the lower class and then to set up a line between you and them that you don't have to look past, but are offended when they cross it.

Last edited:
Do you like practical effects? Does horrible violence right out of the old Troma films appeal to you? Have you ever thought "we really should have fused ET and The Guyver"? Well then do I have a movie for you:

Seriously, what the fuck is this thing?

The next Bond movie, No Time to Die, is getting delayed again. This is pure speculation, but I'm convinced the movie has some sort of bioweapon as a plot point and the executives believe they can't release it during a global pandemic.

Did U boats really paint insignia on their towers? Feel like that would make then easier to spot

With the sucssess of the recent Invisible Man remake (budget of 7 milllion, box office of 54 million, critical acclaim) Universal and Blumhouse studios are now moving on to... Dracula, to be directed by indie director Karyn Kusama, of The Invitation and Destroyer.

Not really sure what to make of this one, as I haven't seen any of Kusama's work. Are they planning to set it in the modern day again? Are they going to pump up the budget compared to Invisible Man? Is there even still a fresh take left on Dracula? Interested to see the answers on these, but not sure what form they'll take.

With the sucssess of the recent Invisible Man remake (budget of 7 milllion, box office of 54 million, critical acclaim) Universal and Blumhouse studios are now moving on to... Dracula, to be directed by indie director Karyn Kusama, of The Invitation and Destroyer.

Not really sure what to make of this one, as I haven't seen any of Kusama's work.

Jennifer's Body was an absolutely fantastic film, and I loved Invitation. She also did the short film Her Only Living Son, the best part of XX. I'm always big on Kusama getting more work, and I can't wait to see what she makes of this.

Wonder how many movies besides the new Bond are gonna get their releases shifted if the pandemic keeps ongoing or grows bad enough for cinemas to be shut down. Might see a bunch of theatrical releases instead be sold to streaming services.

Wonder how many movies besides the new Bond are gonna get their releases shifted if the pandemic keeps ongoing or grows bad enough for cinemas to be shut down. Might see a bunch of theatrical releases instead be sold to streaming services.

I doubt that, because the movie studios are terrified of and have long resisted moves like that. They fear that the more things move to streaming the less relevant movie theaters become, and the less relevant movie theaters become the less they can rely on ticket sales to both garner profits and fund these giant blockbusters. It's almost certainly inevitable at this point, but they resist because it would mean a collapse of at least part of the industry, which would have ripple effects.

More movies getting their release dates shifted to next year due to Covid-19.

So far this includes Antlers, Shang-Chi, Fast and the Furious 9, and The New Mutants.

Back