Filling in the Gaps And Expanding: Religion and Theology

Hello! In fiction, there are things that are not talked about but that I find fascinating. One of these is lots of fictional religions that we get glimpses of in fiction but do go into much detail. The purpose of this thread is to throw out ideas and the world build upon those glimpses.

The main inspiration for this thread is a fansite for a race from Warhammer Fantasy Called the Chaos Dwarfs. In specific written content. They made an entire culture out of only a small fluff race, with fables, religious texts, and songs, all of which can be found here.

The second inspiration is A Planeswalker's Guide to New Phyrexia, specifically the Machine Orthodoxy but the other parts are also great worldbuilding documents.

I made this thread when thinking about the race from Warhammer Fantasy called the Skaven. From what I know the Skaven all worship the Great Horned Rat out of fear, have an official caste of blessed priests called the gray seers, and have a second order of priests in Clan Pestilence. I kept thinking about what I could expand on: how do the two orders of priests interact with each other, Do either one of them have a holy book, how do the Skaven know about the Great Horned Rat, Do the Skaven have a creation myth and is it related to the Doom of Kavzar, ETC

Thinking about this concept more I thought of dozens more religions and cultures that never got fleshed out such as Ethos for Xenogears, Tower, and reyvateil worshiping ones from the Ar Tonelico series, most of the faiths in A song of Fire and Ice or the Morgoth and or Sauron worshiping ones from Tolkiens works; or you could create your own.

I may already be thinking of writing short snippets of a fictional holy work, or a story that has something to do with that in either this thread or User Fiction. If you have any ideas or Snippets I would love to see them.

The reason for the thread title is that I may make one more about culture in the future.

Please give some sort of feedback.

Last edited:
This sounds so cool. And it'll be good to look up mom-Christen priest hoods because even in polytheist setting people just take inspiration from Christian ideas of faith

Back