Examples of Dictadorships that slowly turned to democracy? (without violent uprisings)

Valkur

The True Valkyria, Valkur!
Hi, I wanted to ask about countries around the world that went from Autocratic/Totatalarian/Absolute Monarchies to full fledged democracies.

Off the op of my head there is Poland that was somehow able to use the Solidarity Organization to win elections in a Soviet Republic and slowly change it's constitution to one with the Communist Party in the preamble of a new constitution. Eventually, They seemed to just sort of became there own thing recently (2004). But the sad thing is that I struggle to find other democracies that worked out in similar fashions. I ex

Nigeria, Brazil, Dominican Republic, Argentina, Mexico (post Revolution), South Korea, Taiwan, Costa Rica, Mongolia, Tunisia, Peru, Ghana, Uruguay, Venezuela (During the Betancourt Era), Chile, India (counting the Emergency here), Indonesia, and the Philippines all come to mind.

Taiwan and South Korea are examples that I vaguely recall to fit your requirements.

Franco's Spain is the obvious example.

There was plenty of violence in Franco's Spain. Resistance groups were having a field day, ETA straight-up killed Luis Carrero Blanco, Franco's right-hand man and the person more or less actually in charge since Franco's health was ass, and the execution of ETA members sparked massive protests literally two months before Franco died.

The final transition was peaceful, but there was plenty of violence leading up to it, and it's not hard to argue that violence played a critical role - the fact that the Francoist chain of control had been ripped apart certainly had some impacts on the upcoming transition.

Portugal is an actual example, but Franco's Spain is an example of the efficacy of terrorism in affecting political change.

Define "violent uprising"?

Because there was definitely an uprising in East Germany, but it was largely peaceful, with its violence being directed at the symbols of the East German communist regime. And it led to the country's peaceful reunification with the BRD.

Back