Esquestria: The House of the Sun - A pony cultist experience

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Dear reader! Whether you are new here, archive-reading and whatnot, or you are already someone who has been with us for quite a while, I would like to say a few words that I believe are best kept close to mind.

-This is an MLP quest. And more importantly, none of us are gratuitously cruel. So good things will happen on this quest, and I hope that enough good things have already happened to prove that.
-This is also a horror quest, so bad things will happen. Bad things might happen to good characters if you are not able to protect them, and you most certainly will not be able to intervene if you lack the tools to do so.
-And finally, this is a quest in which you jostle with powers greater than yourself, with all that it entails.

Please, do keep those things in mind as you go forward. But ultimately, this is also a quest in which it is hoped we all have fun! So if any of the above points is not exactly your cup of tea, or somehow make the experience as a whole "not worth it", then this quest might not be for you. Which is fine! Individual tastes are a thing, so don't think any more about it if you don't want to read anymore. And regardless, I hope you have a lovely day!

PSA for whoever needs to hear it:

Readers should take their own mental health into consideration when voting and not subject themselves to triggering narrative elements like rape or constant mental torture of a friend just for the Greatest Good of a world that doesn't exist.

If those are fine for you or Regrettable is even more triggering, then GREAT! More power to you. But you aren't a bad or selfish person for picking the option that keeps the characters you've emotionally connected with safe. [REDACTED for spoiler warning]

This is a high intensity quest that doesn't hold back when it comes to horror and negative consequences. Take care of yourself.
(Quote slightly edited to avoid spoilers)

Last edited:
...You know, I just had the dumbest realization ever. We literally asked Marinette to cut open our mind and fuck around in it. How did that not get brought up before?
I feel like we've asked Bird about this back when we were summoning/discussing-summoning Mareinette, and Velvet doesn't think the Incision will do anything we don't tell Mareinette to do with it. Can't find the quote, though.

Most feasible plan is probably Edge Name + Luna + A Resolution Velvet; with Prep being Baldomare RoTT + Neighnia EiB (Level 4 Artifact); but I wouldn't plan on that happening myself lol
(Do note that I'm pretty sure the Edge Name won't work, it's the EiB that's the kill shot, and said kill shot is NOT immediate, unfortunately)
Names are immune to EiB and PtN.

Now, if we were to design a ritual for killing spirits... :V

And, uh, I don't really see why Biedde specifically wouldn't work?

Last edited:
Marinette can't be killed people, she is an Allukite. How many goddamn times do I have to say it. Beyond just the fact she is wholly in the Wake and so probably more powerful then a comparable Name summon (beyond the fact that a Name Allukite will already be more powerful then a Name), doing sufficient damage to her won't send her back because again, in the Wake.

Our only chance is to seal her away and ensure the seals hold till the quest ends. But simply put we don't have the knowledge or the materials to actually do it right now nor will till endgame and that is way off. Plus we'd have to get the whole setup ready without Marinette realising we plan to betray her.

Last edited:
> 55 voters
> winning vote had 24 votes

Man, not even an actual majority. I'm not sure if that's funny or sad.
inb4 SV players create a two-party system with primaries to prevent this. :V But with the variety of compelling options, it doesn't surprise me.

But actually... it might be interesting to try out instant-runoff voting (in which you rank your top choices instead of just approval voting them) in turn planning votes, due to their complexity and the variety of competing plans. The built-in tally program apparently has an "instant-runoff" setting. I know I wanted more control than approval voting during my vote, because the original Pittauro plan was my 1st choice, followed by all the others. So depending on whether the top choices are between that and another Pittauro plan versus that and a completely different plan, I had to check the count towards the end to vote strategically if needed.

AotL does not get us an Influence, they are two different things.
AotL does NOT give an Influence, though?
Mea culpa; I confused this with "The calling of Influence" back when we had the cult's resources behind us. :( I wish we could have our own cult that's actually good and doesn't break too many laws. :V

Oh no. Is it too late to snag Jade a Cloudsdale invite for her month off?
Aaaaaaah yes, we can't miss this opportunity!! 🎉

the fact an hug would register as an attack to our edge senses is somehow both funny and just a bit sad.
Old post from quotes on my phone, but everything from tickling to chasing each other around that kids naturally/instinctively do could be viewed, from an evolutionary/developmental perspective, as natural/instinctive defensive training. Perhaps Silky's tackle-hugs have such a subconscious purpose? ;)

We could just decided to, you know, not betray Mareinette. We have her on a leash (but not The Leash). Sure she can escape, but we just have to not give her a reason to want to.

Last edited:
It is only supposition that she can be slain. In all the history of the House of the Sun all manner of supposedly impossible to end beings have died but not Alukite (Far as I'm aware).

And if all the power of a functioning Mansus couldn't do it how will we?

We could just decidedto, you know, not betray Mareinette. We have her on a leash (but not The Leash). Sure she can escape, but we just have to not give her a reason to want to.
What, and not murder our most useful ally that we refuse to use for her intended purpose anyways? Now that's just crazy talk. :V

More seriously, there have been plans being made to kill basically every powerful entity we come across since almost the beginning of the quest, even the ones we actually liked. It just wouldn't be Esquestria if we weren't plotting the murder of something that could squash us like a bug with the slightest glance.

Marinette can't be killed people, she is an Allukite. How many goddamn times do I have to say it.
Citation needed.

It is only supposition that she can be slain. In all the history of the House of the Sun all manner of supposedly impossible to end beings have died but not Alukite (Far as I'm aware).
The Liegian club is not the only source of alukites, you know. If every single alukite ever became literally unkillable, there wouldn't be any room for regular Long left.

If the goddamn Worms can die, whose whole thing is "dying but never dead", so can Mareinette.

Last edited:
Now, if we were to design a ritual for killing spirits... :V
Yes, design such a ritual under Mareinette's nose; I'm sure nothing can go wrong, right? :V

And, uh, I don't really see why Biedde specifically wouldn't work?
Was more looking at DoA and Mareinette having history, and Mareinette still being here, so. (We still don't know her Heart Sacrament, no real point discussing it until we at least have a preview from Mareinette)

@BirdBodhisattva I know you mentioned what Baldomare and the Master would think of the Leash way back when, but what about Marienette and Biedde?
Also, is using a Baldomare action on [O] Asking her for information about The Way Up in the Mansus
a viable action, or is it just going to get stonewalled?
Lastly, can we buy the medicine for getting injured in advance, to have Wounds that we expect to take within the turn recover faster?

Marinette can't be killed people, she is an Allukite.
If she can't be killed, or at least spawn-camped while regenerating; why bother including a Wound list in the char sheet for her?
(Mind, I don't think such is practical because of Biedde's cooldown - he'd only be back at the third rebinding or so where we'd probably already start to take issue: Better to Climb and throw these problems to Epilogue Velvet if at all possible)

Last edited:
Was more looking at DoA and Mareinette having history, and Mareinette still being here
Tbf, DoA's not actually much of a combat Name.

Sure, she's definitely way beyond your average mortal, but w/o her Influence her modifier is only 5 higher than Mareinette's, and Mareinette almost certainly has more Health than she does. And even with her Influence (+65 total), it'd still be lower than Biedde's likely base combat modifier (+80), nevermind Biedde with his Influence (+120).

Citation needed.

The Liegian club is not the only source of alukites, you know. If every single alukite ever became literally unkillable, there wouldn't be any room for regular Long left.

If the goddamn Worms can die, whose whole thing is "dying but never dead", so can Mareinette.
Like I said a supposition on my part. We have evidence that everything other then Alukite have died and I acknowledge that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence but come on. A bunch of Cultist manage to kill a Long but the Hours can't draw and quarter an Alukite? Seems fucky to me. Even in game the most you can do is force them back to the Raven Isles.

I'm aware that there are more Alukite (in service of the sisters, on the Raven Isles or in the Mansus itself) but becoming Alukite expels you from the Mansus and removes you from it's laws and that almost assuredly opens up the spot they took.

Last edited:
Dear Reader
Dear reader,

Forgive the sudden escape from the usual narrative. If you don't want to be addressed by me (the writer) or just want to continue your archive reading, by all means continue to the next threadmark!

Still, I would like to address you. Both in my "capacity" as the author of this story and as a human being.

To put it simply, and in a way that I usually say it: "Thank you for reading my story!"

Recently (and to be honest, shockingly) this quest was voted as the "Best Ongoing Quest of 2023". And I am thankful for that! I really, really am. It is humbling, and more than a little intimidating, to think that people not only read this story, but also that they (1) nominated it, and then (2) voted for it again when there are so many other great quests in this site.
And thanks to all the people who voted, several things will happen. This quest will receive a nifty tag of "User's Choice", I will get a nice little subscription to the site which will allow me to react with cat emogis, and (most importantly) at least one person who never heard of this quest will learn about it thanks to some sort of announcement.

Again, I cannot overstate how happy this makes me. I am a human being just like you. So, being validated, complimented, and even recognized is definitely awesome! Still, allow me to say that, as great as those rewards and recognitions might be, I do not think they are the most important things about this occasion. They are not really the things to which, deep down, I am truly thankful for. Not the validation, not the nifty tag, and definitely not the subscription (even though the cat emogis are nice).

The most important thing, and the thing to which I am truly thankful, is you.

Maybe you are a lurker, who casually reads whenever a new update is posted. Maybe you are a delightful participant whose discussion makes me cackle with glee. Maybe you don't even have a login in this site. Still, the fact remains that this quest is written for you. The eight hundred and sixty thousand words written thus far, and the more-than-a-thousand hours of my personal time used to write them, have all been for you. Stories are made so they can be read, and none of this would have happened if I were just writing a story and posting it in a silent void.

So, again, thank you for reading my story!

I would not have made it this far if you were not here to motivate me. And this quest would not have won that award if you had not voted for it. I may be the person who agreed to write the story, but it definitely would not be alive if you were not participating with me! After all, a quest can't continue if no one votes, and it can go on even if only a single plan is offered (it already happened before, even!)

I am thankful to you, who read this. I am especially thankful to you, who engages with me. And I honestly miss the participants who left us. Although, even then, I am grateful that (at least most of the times) they left because they disagreed with what some character did, rather than because they thought the story itself was bad.

So thank you kindly for all of this! And, as always, I hope we can continue to have fun.

Now, let me go catch up with the thread and work on the next post. And I hope you have been well!

As far as impossible scenarios go, I wonder what does the thread think of getting Celestia to learn Edge Lore, then giving her A Resolution or something to make sure that it's literally impossible for Mareinette to beat Celestia's All-Out combat roll even if Mareinette is literallly unkillable?

Last edited:
As far as impossible scenarios go, I wonder what does the thread think of getting Celestia to learn Edge Lore, then giving her A Resolution or something to make sure that it's literally impossible for Mareinette to beat Celestia's All-Out combat roll even if Mareinette is literallly unkillable?
It think that's called "be Luna with A Resolution" :V

We don't even have to teach her, technically. Her all out already hits +110, so just the resolution would give her +150. Hell, moderate it to a third tier influence instead of four so she doesn't go completely psycho, and it would still work at +140.

But. Notably. We might not need Celestia for that. After all, we have another Alicorn(in waiting) who does have Edge anyways. If reawakened Luna can swing equivalent to Celestia before Edge bonuses, all she even needs is an AotL to hit +140. Get grandpa Biedde to give a Resolution and she could hit even +180.

Or get Luna to summon an Influence of her own, Biedde to put one on Celestia, and then presumably he can call his own down on himself for shits and giggles. If nothing else Marinette would have a -15 from being outnumbered. Which would make it even worse. :V

I'm not sure Luna even has a +50 bonus (because of Scars Of Nightmare, even after mitigation), nevermind a base +80 and the capability of going all-out for another +30?

Last edited:
I'm not sure Luna even has a +50 bonus, nevermind a base +80 and the +30 all-out?
Eh, we're not really sure what state she'll be in, but hopefully it will be in peak condition. We know if she had rolled a nat100 on her recovery roll—the one that ended with her as Selene—she could have come back as a full equal to Celestia. There's some speculation that the best possibility for the process we just did will be at least that, if not better.

Watch as the History where we put this plan into practice Mareinette just decides to act dead (Dance with Death) to escape :V
But still, having a at least theoretically workable plan (while Biedde is summoned, anyway) of killing Mareinette would probably calm the thread down regarding her, paradoxically enough?

Aye! My body aches a lot less now, and daylight's burning. So, let me catch up so I can start storyboarding this turn.

As always, apparently moot questions will be skipped. So please ping me again if I jumped something you really want answered.

Uh, if we are desperate enough, I'm pretty sure that's actually on the menu for voters to avoid getting DoA contested?
Considering AP hell, I would be surprised if a plan for "spend TWO actions to make a ritual in a faraway, unsuspicious place" gained traction. But I suppose it's a valid write-in for the future.

Yeah, actually. @BirdBodhisattva The barn we were using for summoning is something our ponysevants prepared for us on turn 15. Can we make them prepare another site for us without raising suspiscions?
The plan (which I havent read yet) has already been decided. But still...

This idea makes me uneasy for narrative decisions. The pure, mechanical answer is that "yes you can". But what would the implications for that be? Now that your brother is the steward of the farmlands, will he notice it more easily? Is he keeping tabs on your servant actions? You definitely can't tell for sure.

Regardless, trying to make your home a non-suspicious ritual place is definitely on the cards. But the anti-suspicion buffs will certainly be "worse" than before as long as your brother is still a loose canon.

I actually love this song.

Any thought exercises on useful things we can RoTT? "Path To Victory"?
I am pretty sure the latest WoG was that it couldn't be aimed at the Mansus. Can't find my own quote for that though.

Oh no. Is it too late to snag Jade a Cloudsdale invite for her month off?
Luckily, I never forgot about that. So don't worry.

@BirdBodhisattva I know you mentioned what Baldomare and the Master would think of the Leash way back when, but what about Marienette and Biedde?
Also, is using a Baldomare action on [O] Asking her for information about The Way Up in the Mansus
a viable action, or is it just going to get stonewalled?
Lastly, can we buy the medicine for getting injured in advance, to have Wounds that we expect to take within the turn recover faster?
So. One at a time.

1 - Could you rephrase that? Names aren't in the usual "acquaintance -> minion" scale to begin with (and they aren't a narrative exception like Shining), so they can't be Leashed. Is that what you are asking?

2 - No need to spend actions pestering Baldomare. Velvet already does that passively, and the relevant things she says are all shown "on-screen". But most of the time her answer will be "if you don't know, you don't deserve to know. So go learn so that you may learn!"

3 - No. For the same reason that I storyboard actions so things are as optimal as possible. And for the same reason that mental maluses only "affect" you on the beginning of the following turn. It's easier for all parties involved if "stuff affecting Velvet" is managed on a turn by turn basis.

So, those seem to be all the pings. Now into...
[X] Plan Pittauro, but with our SH Sacrament.
-[X] [AotL] Grail, with Pride
-[X] [FORGE] Create a Knock 2 Edge 1 Reagent. (45 bits, Free Action)
-[X] [KNOCK] The Only Way Up
--[X] [KNOCK] Keep going up. You are so very close now. So. Very. Close.
-[X] [DETECTIVES] There are still changelings out there. Hunt them. Look for them, and for the ponies who colluded with them. (One of the chief expectations of the Bureau. Avert a future Catastrophe)
-[X] [CONSTABLES] It is less paperwork for you if they just help with the investigations. (NO ACTION from the Constables. GAIN a PERSONAL ACTION for Velvet Covers)
-[X] [COMMISSIONER] The Bureau is more than an institution, it is a gathering of dedicated ponies working towards a unified goal. Ingrain yourself with them. (Establish, increase, or salvage the loyalty of the Bureau towards you personally.)
-[X] [SOCIAL] [TEACH] Teach Rarity, and make her a Disciple. (Free Action)
-[X] A fleeting opportunity
--[X] Royal. Wedding! Royal. Wedding! Help. Plan. The Royal. Wedding! (Expand, and pick one more item from, the list of Royal Wedding opportunities)
--[x] "The Royal Wedding is a matter of national security, so of course the Commissioner must be involved. Yes, even on that time she went on a shopping spree with the Princess." (Free action. NEGLECT work at the Lunar Bureau. Expand, and pick one more item from, the list of Royal Wedding opportunities)
-[X] These are the skills that allow you to climb the Mansus
--[X] Attempt, even if foolishly, to untangle the webs of the Secret Histories
---[X] Investigate your current skills. To try to understand them, if nothing else. (Current progress 0/3)
--[X] Velvet Pride, your upstart younger brother, seems to be heartbroken. Or so the gossip goes. If you take the initiative to talk to him, you might be able to get closer to him.
-[X] [JADE] "You do you." Let her do whatever she wants for once. It might do her some good, both mentally and personally.
-[X] [FLUTTERSHY] Ask for a favor, from your... mutual friend.
--[X] [GUARD] Our home.
-[X] [RARITY] Focus on your work.
-[X] [STEPPES] There is no guarantee he will be able to help you, but you will write him about… (WRITE IN)
--[X] [STEPPES] Ask for advice about how to bond with your brother
-[X] Jade's house is now adequately clean. Or at least sufficiently presentable for ponies to work on it. You should…
--[X] [SERVANTS] You need a place where you can safely, and discreetly, store items. Use the upper level of her house for it.
-[X] [MAREINETTE] Incision of the Heart on Velvet: remove the Frightened Debuff (20 bits. failure only on nat1s)
-[X] [BALDOMARE] Find us a place where we can hold 3-circle rituals next turn (for Axe's summon). (rolls +80)
-[X] [SELENE] Go play, one last time. (Costs two actions. Goodbye, Selene.)

Curiously enough, this plan has Pittauro's name on it, and yet he did not vote for it :V

So we are...
-Storing a reagent for Biedde (or DoA)
-Basically triple-wedding
-Learning a bit more about the Bureau
-And doing some much-needed long term investment (finally!)

Good stuff, good stuff. I'll go paste this in my notes, and start writing this sooner rather than later.

Hope you are all doing well! Because we have... quite the turn ahead of us.

Recently (and to be honest, shockingly) this quest was voted as the "Best Ongoing Quest of 2023".
Congrats, this quest is a fantastic story. I haven't really been keeping up since the wolf stuff when it came back, but it really is a quality story and your writing is phenomenal so I imagine it's still every bit as good as it was before and deserves every bit of the recognition.

Back