End of Days & Scientific Christians?

Pronouns
She/Her
Science indicates that the Earth has been chugging along for 4.5 billion years with life slowly evolving until human being are one of the current organisms on the planet. Evidence also is that the world will continue to support complex life for around another two billion years.

It is in the bible that there will some sort of Armageddon where Jesus will come to the world and make everything wonderful. There will be some kind of end times and some kind of rebirth.

Granted, two billion years is pretty much forever in terms of how our brains work but eventually the world will become uninhabitable and even longer term destroyed.

How do scientific Christians square that with their religious beliefs?

I hope I do not kick open a hornet's nest. I really don't plan to try to dissuade anybody and will try really hard to only ask for clarification if required.

Science indicates that the Earth has been chugging along for 4.5 billion years with life slowly evolving until human being are one of the current organisms on the planet. Evidence also is that the world will continue to support complex life for around another two billion years.

It is in the bible that there will some sort of Armageddon where Jesus will come to the world and make everything wonderful. There will be some kind of end times and some kind of rebirth.

Granted, two billion years is pretty much forever in terms of how our brains work but eventually the world will become uninhabitable and even longer term destroyed.

I hope I do not kick open a hornet's nest. I really don't plan to try to dissuade anybody and will try really hard to only ask for clarification if required.
Let's not talk Revelation, tis a strange and messy book that jumbles up multiple prophesies. Once we do that, things get much less complicated. I personally subscribe to the idea that the Second Coming is a long way off and will either result in humanity leaving the Solar System or will come after we do so on our own.

I mean, I think there's enough rock falls everyone dies cosmic phenomena, like random black holes or gamma ray bursts to at least make one of these scenarios sounds vaguely scientific.

Let's not talk Revelation, tis a strange and messy book that jumbles up multiple prophesies. Once we do that, things get much less complicated. I personally subscribe to the idea that the Second Coming is a long way off and will either result in humanity leaving the Solar System or will come after we do so on our own.

So you just ignore Revelations? How about other End of Days passages within the New Testament?

So you just ignore Revelations? How about other End of Days passages within the New Testament?
Honestly, I tend not to think much on the various End Times passages, as they lack any useful details beyond "this world will end and God will bring forth something
new and better." That and I care more about the parts dealing with the here and now, since that's the important stuff.

Could "this world will end" just refer to the current human society though? That wouldn't be too uncommon of a wording.

Maybe it's just predicting a system changing revolution :V

Or the singularity.

Ask me, anyone who claims that the end of days is near or is actively trying to set things up so as to match the prophecy is a Heretic or Apostate.

God Works On His Own Schedule.

aside from that prophecy is heavily veiled in metaphor anyways.

It's not linked? Jesus could come back next week, he could come back 1000 years from now, nobody knows and there's no way to find out. That has nothing to do with how long the world can sustain life. I think that just means that we don't expect there to be a successor species to humanity.

Last edited:

If the Creator of the universe comes to live with us, perhaps he can change the nature of the universe it'self? The Bible DOES say that he will remake the Heavens and the Earth.

Back