Did it really take until now for there to be a General Self Insert Ideas thread? (Self-Insert Ideas)

Madou Sutegobana

Autocorrupt has been disabled.
I was looking for a more appropriate place to move a discussion that started on Shadenight's corner, only to find there doesn't seem to be one.

So this is the thread for when you have a Self-Insert idea that isn't exactly an Isekai story, nor is it a CYOA or jumpchain.

It is a good place to discuss ideas about various means that you're SI's have managed to find their way into fanfiction.

I'll give away a few ideas I've had, some of which I am writing about. None should be too spoilery, but are put in one so Dragonskyt need not scroll through them.

Sailor Moon - A version of me in the start of the millenium is disappointed to find my favorite imported anime no longer exists and is remembered by no one I ask on the internet. However there is news of a strange sickness that leaves people feeling drained.

My SI doesn't leave their world, it changes to a version of Sailor Moons.
Dragon Warrior Monster Builders - A me that dies from being shot in a bar fight reawakens as My character from Dragon Warrior, but as the one that accepted the Dragonlord's offer.

A more traditional SI, even includes taking over my analogues life.
Worm - Su'anna Fixer had started remembering a different life, one in which she read Worm and even made out a CYOA powerset. However she's in the wrong decade and only has the powers she wrote into her backstory as extra, not the curbstomping ones she munchkinned. "Will I be overwritten by someone who cares nothing for my current relationships, ideology, and philosophy?" is a major anxiety for her.

My SI becomes her own person.
Fate - A version of me that knows of FSN only as that hentai the protagonist of 'Hill of Swords' is originally from awakens as an amnesiac Sakura who recovers memories of other lives through self-hypnosis and builds a mystery from the memories.

My SI reincarnated from a me that was summoned and died in the third Grail War, but wasn't sent to the Throne of Heroes. I reincarnated as an infant without direct memories.
Grail Questing SI - Long in history have people disappeared and returned claiming to have been strange places. Then they started bringing strange artifacts, people, and supernatural powers back with them. A project seeks to recreate the conditions where a psychiatrist, Dr. Taliesin, claimed to have purposefully ventured into the court of a King Arthur, which was closer to Myth than any historical. Test Subjects are chosen and asked to identify as closely to one each of the Knights of the Round Table in order to invoke sympathetic magic. It is a prequel to my planned prequel of my Fate Stay Night SI. Introduces an Arthur that joins Arturia as the twin Sabers in my prequel. (Idea follows Red Orc's Rage, The Compleat Enchanter, and Chronicles of Amber)

This is an idea I had of intentional Self-Insertion.
This feels somewhat specific, but it does bring forth this one small problem.

Would you even think of meditation as a possible solution to your problems?

It might just be because of my Western upbringing, but meditating is not something I tend to have practiced very often.

As such, the odds for me to utilize meditation as a tool for your idea are practically nil.

That said, I'm me. It's fully realistic other people will take different approach when faced with... unique circumstances.
Actually not meditation specifically, but some of my reincarnation SI's are self inserts by virtue of using self-hypnosis* to recover, reinforce, or replace-traumatic- memories and getting a lot more meta than they accounted for.

My omakes for Shade's Shadow Fire Agency feature an overpowered example of that kind of character, as usually skills take almost as long to relearn as to learn with an instructor and powers may or may not operate as they would in a different setting, but that is not the case this time.

*I personally use self-hypnosis and visualization to deal with pain and illness.

I construct a walled citadel in my mind that represents my body, my knights are my immune system, stoneworkers are my body's healing, stairs lead to other levels of consciousness. Blood Vessels are streets, Lymph Nodes are Houses. Giant Spiders represent the attackers.

I forget where I got the idea, but I'm sure it was a work of fiction.

Last edited:
I keep wanting to do a SI into a member of a non-human species that typically bonds with humans. A zampakuto in Bleach, a weapon in Soul Eater, a sentient mecha or spaceship in various series that have those, a dragon in a dragonrider series... in all cases, even though they are ostensibly people, the human characters often take them for granted, viewing them as animals or weapons. It would also be a pretty good set-up for a forbidden romance if humans normally don't see this other species as people, just because they happen to be made of metal or walk on 4 feet or whatever.

I keep wanting to do a SI into a member of a non-human species that typically bonds with humans. A zampakuto in Bleach, a weapon in Soul Eater, a sentient mecha or spaceship in various series that have those, a dragon in a dragonrider series... in all cases, even though they are ostensibly people, the human characters often take them for granted, viewing them as animals or weapons. It would also be a pretty good set-up for a forbidden romance if humans normally don't see this other species as people, just because they happen to be made of metal or walk on 4 feet or whatever.
Hioshigaki Kisame & Samehada seems like an excellent set-up for this premise.

Oh boy, the time that I will spend here if this thread lasts.

I always did want to write a Mass Effect SI, for some reason just never did. The idea was to give a game breaking power (infinite credits cheat), but put him on a place where that will only place him in danger if he uses it instead of being an actual advantage.

Result? Pre-Aria Omega. A hive of scum and villainy where having money without skills to back it up is a freaking death sentence.

Si as pirate in one piece, with crew mates take off out of a buying slave cyoa.

Another idea i haved a long time ago was one of beign human albedo(child) in the past, all thanks to doctor paradoxshenaniganss. Something about ben being in problem and all the universe being in problem or something

The were other ones like a shingo tsukio self insert but meh the only think i thinked in the moment was to do it crossover with another series because i dind't know how to make the guy useful large on time

Back