Critical Role

Renewal

Boring Person #5883781345
Pronouns
He/Him
I've been following the D&D web show Critical Role for months, and I'm honestly surprised I haven't seen a thread for it here yet. I guess a D&D web show, even for a big fish like Critical Role, is still a pretty niche product.

Anyway, finally decided to post a thread because the last run of episodes have been truly phenomenal: top-tier storytelling for the medium and its constraints, and superb characterization and acting by everyone involved. I'm dying to see how things pan out from here.

okay so ig its been a longass time since anyone talked about critical role on here

but anyway! i rlly like it, its where my avatar comes from, and my ship got canon validation last episode, so i decided to post about it here, which i think is allowed? SV doesn't have a necro rule, iirc.

anyway, theres a fight next episode, which should be wild. hope they dont burn their bridges with the dynasty or the empire in this fight, but think they might have to.

Could someone elaborate on what makes critical role good?

(On one hand I like D&D and improv, but on the other I hate the stereotypical D&D party where the dwarf is gruff, the elf haughty, and the Rogue is a kleptomaniac - so I am hesitant to try D&D things because so many productions cleave so close to the "iconic" setup, and that always makes me cringe)

Could someone elaborate on what makes critical role good?

(On one hand I like D&D and improv, but on the other I hate the stereotypical D&D party where the dwarf is gruff, the elf haughty, and the Rogue is a kleptomaniac - so I am hesitant to try D&D things because so many productions cleave so close to the "iconic" setup, and that always makes me cringe)
You're in luck because none of them play what would be considered the stereotypical version of an archetype in the second campaign at least. What makes it good is it's a professional group of actors lead by an old-school DM playing his slightly homebrewed campaign, with the cast playing along and getting really invested in their characters and world. It's engaging because they're engaged with the world and story, plus the shared community feel of watching a live game and commenting on their plays and judgement calls.

Really, the main thing to remember is that as much as they've turned it into a production none of them play it as a production. They are actually players in an actual D&D game, and each member has their own playstyle which depending on experience actually playing D&D is recognizable, for good or ill.

Campaign 2 you'd probably be most interested in because they deliberately went for playing against type. Like the Charismatic, physically weak Half-Orc Warlock. Or the hippie Grave Cleric Firbolg everyone has forgotten is giantkin.

I just realized that there are no threads for the Vox Machina animated adaptation, so this will have to do.

First, there was a first look at the upcoming Mighty Nein adaptation a few months ago:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/criticalrole/comments/1ecyf8k/cr_media_sneak_peek_of_the_new_mighty_nein_series/

Second, and the reason I sought this thread, to hype up the release of season 3, Prime has put the entire first two seasons of Vox Machina for free on YouTube:

View: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWz2DO39R-NUobc5l_sOGtr9SokHKHFZ5&si=hFdPLYJFbfY-Km1H

Back