Crimson Shards on a Vacant Throne

Book 1: Chapter 10 (Interlude)
Author's Note: I can't say I am happy about this chapter, so I'll come back at some point and rewrite this interlude. Still, it gets the job done, I guess, so it's not that important.

Wednesday, 08. December 2010

"Are you sure you want to get dropped off here, girl? This ain't a good area. Not at this hour, and not for a pretty lady like you are," the bus driver said, frowning. He was a little overweight, with a shaggy greying chin beard and more wrinkles on his face than someone his apparent age should have. "Unless you belong to 'dem of course… not that I want to imply anything, Missus. It's just, this is almost–"

"Yes," the girl interrupted him, stepping out of the bus before the driver could change his mind and lock the door. "I'm fine, and just because I'm a fucking Jap doesn't mean I'm ABB. Got it?"

"Yeah, yeah. Say, you really don't want me to bring you to a hospital? My shift's over and that eye of yours looks really nasty."

"No, bye," the girl muttered, before walking away at a fast pace. The guy had been unbearable for the whole ride from downtown to this lovely dump in the docks. Fucking kuso.

Why was he so nosy… why did he care? Did he see a pretty face and think that being considerate got him that much closer to getting a suck-off for free? No, he looked genuine, which was even worse. She didn't know how to deal with that.

It had been so long since someone had been nice to her just for the sake of it. It was usually either fear, or they wanted something. They always wanted something from her. When was the last time it hadn't been like that? She couldn't even remember anymore.

Wasn't that pathetic? Lost to the fog of the years, and the black pit she refused to look into.

The girl sighed. At least the quick hump she'd treated herself to had been good. The nerd had been oddly off tonight when she'd knocked at his window, but she hadn't bothered to care enough to ask what was on his mind, and he hadn't protested when she'd bound his wrists to the frame of his bed.

Now, with the icy wind tugging at her hair and clothes, stinging uncomfortably where it pierced bruised skin, it made her feel a little more anxious than her pride allowed for. Was she making a mistake? Maybe, but there was no going back now.

Maybe I should have asked fatso where I could find this Somers Rock, the girl thought. She stopped and frowned, looking around and using the opportunity to fix the scrunchie and the set of Kanzashi decorating her ponytail, after a moment putting both hands behind the effort.

They clattered in the wind, a soft jingle that accompanied her with every step. The girl hesitated, before pulling them free and looking at them. Two ornate hair pins, long and with small inscribed tablets dangling from delicate silver chains. They were resilient, but eventually, they succumbed to the strength of her fingers as she maimed them in her grip, crunching and splintering them into scrap.

She threw them onto the ground. Fake, even though they weren't. Like the student pass in her pocket or the old pack of gum in the other. Then, she reached into her satchel bag and retrieved a cheap hockey mask, spray painted in black, and secured it over her face.

The place she found herself in at this late – or perhaps early – hour was nondescript. Everything was run down, but she was pretty sure that for being in the 'docks' area of the city, it was still a decent enough place to live or work, close enough to the parts of the city that actually mattered that the police might just show up if you called them.

There were stores and restaurants, little more than hole-in-the-wall businesses with closed shutters and drawn curtains behind iron-barred windows. But for an area like this, she'd have been surprised if it were different.

It took the girl a while to find the nondescript pub, and after checking herself with a tiny hand mirror, she stepped inside. She was met by a wave of warm air as soon as she opened the door, and quickly shed her winter jacket and the garish Christmas mittens she'd bought earlier before she ventured further into the… establishment.

She wasn't picky, hardly so, but it was safe to say that she was used to higher standards. It didn't matter if it was Boston, New York, or one of the other large cities along the northern east coast, but usually, establishments like this – as secret as they had to be, given what kind of clientele they catered to – had at least some class. Shit, even the fucking moots on the Dorchester Beaches had at least some kind of rustic vibe to them… but this?

Somers Rock was as shit from the inside as it had looked from the outside. Dim, dingy, and depressing, with a grayish stained floor illuminated by lightbulbs that could have been shat out by Hitler's grandfather for how old they looked. It was awful, but given the kind of people who met here, she was surprised that the dark green tablecloths and curtains didn't have swastikas embroidered on them.

There were a few people already present when she arrived: a young and sullen-looking server chick wandering around and what seemed to be her brother behind the bar, dressed formally with a white dress shirt and apron. The server glanced at her as she made her way into the room. The dour look never left her face.

The girl couldn't help but ponder about what this said, both about her and this location. She wasn't used to not being treated with respect, especially not from mere staff, and if this were another place and another time, she'd have taught that respect with a dagger.

It grated on her pride, more than she'd thought it would, but she swallowed it and remained calm and dignified in the way that came so easy to her.

There were a few others already present. Two capes she didn't know were busy pulling together a bunch of tables and chairs in the center of the room, and she could spot that stupid gamer duo tucked away in a booth at the rear end of the room. She didn't care about them. They were beneath her.

A woman in a cheap mask and huddled in a ratty trenchcoat sat alone, sipping at a steaming cup. She had brown hair cut in a trendy sidecut. She did look young, but there was nothing special about her that caught the girl's interest. A solo perhaps?

Despite her initial worries, the girl found herself intrigued by the upcoming meeting. There was always something about such events that fascinated her. Seeing all the different players assemble had something to it that reminded her of the old mafia movies she'd enjoyed watching back in the day.

It seemed like she was early, but her contact was already there, sitting alone at a table around halfway between the back wall of the room and the bar. He was alone and without any visible backup, which was intriguing given who he was. And she knew exactly who he was. Not a little snake by any means. One of the biggest fishes in this city. His costume was odd though, and for someone with his body type, a bit unflattering. He looked like a skeleton wrapped in a black full-body condom, but she didn't say that to his face as she approached him.

Instead, the girl bowed slightly, extending her hand. "You must be Coil, right? Good evening."

"Headhunter, I presume?"

"Yes," she replied. They shook hands, and she slipped into the booth opposite of him, waving away the approaching server in the same movement. "I believe we don't have long until the rest arrives, so let's get to business. You have something I want, and I have what you want with me. Let's get this over with."

"Of course," Coil replied smoothly. "I can respect that."

The girl reached into her satchel, pulled out three brown paper folders, and spread them on the table between them. Coil's hand fished for them immediately, but without missing a beat, the girl slammed her closed fist like a hammer onto the envelope Coil had reached towards. She missed his gloved fingers by half an inch.

"I want proof first," she said with an icy undertone. "I am willing to bargain, but if you cross me, you know what you'll reap."

Coil slowly retracted his fingers, before speaking up. "Of course." He slowly reached below the table and produced a white envelope. "You'll find any information I managed to scrounge up in the past few days here. Unfortunately, I was only able to locate three of her… friends. I've also included some voluntary findings of mine, Miss Headhunter. Consider it a show of good faith."

"Acceptable. She'll be satisfied with that." The girl removed the dagger and gestured towards the envelopes. "They are yours. I am a good artist if you are worried about quality. We saw three of them, and you'll find that one of them is sitting here in this room with us."

She had the impression the Coil froze for the beat of a moment. "I… see," he slowly spoke. "Thank you."

"I shit on your thanks, and your games, little snake," the girl said icily. "Keep your word, and we'll be out of your hair soon enough."

She stood up without another word, and beelined to a booth on the opposite side of the room, flopping down and putting her heels up on the table. She ignored the glare the barkeeper shot her, and the impulse to flip him off.

It didn't take long for the rest to arrive. The Undersiders were first. She'd heard of them before. A newer team, not even half a year old, consisting of 4 capes that did harmless robberies. A twink with a Renaissance frilly shirt wielding a funny scepter thing, a butch girl that looked like she could throw a punch, and an attractive blonde in a purple Illuminati bodysuit. Their leader looked impressive enough that even she had to admit it; tall and broad-shouldered, clad in black leather. Fluid smoke that was blacker than black pooled around him, constantly emanating from below his motorbike helmet with a painted skull face.

The local nazis were next. Kaiser, clad head to toe in his elaborate knight armor topped with a crown of blades. He had a twin Valkyrie on each arm; blonde, and built like playboy models. They were dressed in elaborate but revealing armor. There were others too, pooling in behind him.

And then, right after the group had settled down, they came in. The ABB. A tall man, over six feet tall, with every exposed inch of his torso covered in colorful dragon tattoos. The girl noted that he came alone. Oni Lee wasn't with him.

She knew that there was another group in the city; Faultline, and her mercenary crew, but they had been out of town for a good few weeks now. They were busy somewhere in California if the rumors were to be believed.

The leaders of the gangs - Kaiser, Lung, Coil, and Motorbike Stud - moved to sit at the central table. The other capes didn't join them there, content with staying in their booths or at nearby tables. The girl too kept back. For now. She'd have to wait and see how this evening played out.

The server girl went around with her notepad to get orders before she discreetly disappeared behind the bar.

"Good evening, gentlemen, ladies," a smooth voice spoke from the door. The voice of a woman. "I hope we are not too late."

Almost all heads turned toward the entrance, where a trio of capes stepped in. Two young women and an exceedingly large man, all with masks and winter jackets. The girl couldn't claim she knew about everyone in this city but those three were complete strangers, and based on the reaction of the other capes present, not only to her.

"No, we haven't started yet," Coil spoke up, steepling his fingers. "And who might you be?"

The woman who seemed to be the speaker for the newcomers shed her coat before answering. She was pretty and petite, with brown skin and clad in a dress that – despite being simple – seemed more fit for a gala than a meeting with the most dangerous people in Brockton Bay.

"My name is Entourage, and my companions are Upperhand and Speaker of the House," she gestured first toward the massive man, then towards the fair-skinned woman at her side. "We'd like to request a seat at this table of yours."

"That depends on what you want," Kaiser spoke up. "If it's not of great importance, feel free to take a booth."

"I think it is," Entourage smiled.

"And what do you want?" Lung growled.

"I admit, I've never liked words on their own. It's very easy for anything we say to sound empty or artificial. I prefer action," Entourage smiled. "To get to the point, me and my team will claim territory in this city. We wish to do so on amicable terms with the local powers. That would be all of you who hold territory, of course."

The room fell into stunned silence. For a split moment, the girl had the impression – more of a gut feeling actually – that the three big leaders were shooting each other a contemplating glance beneath their helmets and masks.

"Well, then please do have a seat at the table," Coil finally said, his voice as even as if he was talking about the weather. "You know the rules of this place, I assume?"

She also had the impression that Entourage seemed to enjoy her little entry stunt and the attention she garnered with it because she practically beamed as she stepped forward and sat beside Lung, who seemed to be side-eyeing her given how the head behind his mask had shifted subtly in her direction. Her companions moved to a nearby table, and the server girl stepped forward with her notepad again.

"Of course. We are familiar with establishments such as these. In our metier, it's important to have neutral places for civilized discussions," Entourage said.

"You come here unannounced, barge in, and demand territory," Lung growled. "Who do you think you are?"

"We are not demanding territory, we are taking it. There's a difference. We are willing to negotiate, of course, but if civility doesn't work with you, that is fine by us too. Here is the deal we are offering. We'll claim territory in the industrial areas of the city, places you have no uses for, and we will offer a monthly ten percent friendship tax of our earnings to the Empire and the ABB as a gesture of goodwill."

Lung seemed like he wanted to speak up again, but Coil interjected. "You mean the slums around Archer's Bridge?"

"More or less," Entourage replied confidently. "I and my coworkers–"

"Did I just hear fucking Archer's Bridge?" A voice shouted from the entrance, and again everyone turned to look at another set of newcomers. Three capes, but ugly ones, more akin to vagrants, led by a dark-skinned man in a mask that showed off his badly chapped lips and teeth that looked like he'd coated them in vomit.

"And who might you be?" Kaiser replied dryly.

"Who am I? Who am I??" The man all but snarled. "I am mother-fucking Skidmark, leader of the Merchants. The fuck do you mean who am I?"

"I never heard of you before," the leader of the Undersiders spoke.

"Neither have I," Kaiser said. "Go and sit in a booth, silently, if you must, but if you–"

"I am the new drug lord of fucking Archer's Bridge, and if you think you can shill away my own fucking territory over my head then I'll fucking peg you with a rusty can you nazi disphit!" Skidmark spat.

"Lovely," Entourage remarked. "Would you rather collaborate with us, or these fine gentlemen here?"

"Bitch, are you mocking me, you puckered–"

"Go. Sit. In a booth. Or leave, but one more word and we'll have you removed," Kaiser's voice was calm, but every carefully enunciated syllable felt like it was hammered in steel.

"I agree," Coil said. "This is a place for civil discussion, not for immature blathering. Either behave like an adult or excuse yourself."

Skidmark growled, and for a moment he looked like he would snap. A part of the girl hoped he would. Even though she'd never heard of him, this individual disgusted her already. A filthy drug-addict and lowlife thug who thought he had grandeur just because he got some powers from his life falling apart around him after he shot up one too many times.

Pathetic.

Yet…It was quite baffling. The way he spoke with Lung and Kaiser, either he was an idiot or had a fatal lack of common sense. She had no clue what kind of powers he had, but even if he was speaking to just one of them, alone, common sense said that it would be suicide to run your mouth that bad unless you had something like the whole fucking Elite at your back. Yet here he was, mouthing off at two people who could probably snuff him out with a twitch of their fingers, acting like he was screaming down at some underpaid intern at Walmart.

"Fine," Skidmark spat, fists clenched. "You fuckers think you're so fancy and civilized, but just watch your backs! One day we will be the ones who call the shots around here."

The girl couldn't help but catch the subtle gaze Skidmark tried to shoot the brown-haired trenchcoat cape as he shuffled to a booth. Was there a connection there? Unlikely, given how she just straight-up ignored his…whatever he tried to do.

The girl noticed Tattletale's lingering gaze on her as she mused, but when she looked back, the blonde Illuminati cape broke eye contact and turned towards the butch girl next to her. Hellhound, she thought? Perhaps they were thinking the same thing she was. Two new players on the same day? She'd have to look into Entourage and these "Merchants" later.

"Well, now that that's settled, is there anyone else who wants to interrupt this meeting, or can we continue?" Coil asked. "I would like to make this quick. The Protectorate is on the warpath tonight, and the heroes noticing our little meeting here would be inconvenient."

The girl stood up and approached the table in the center. "Me," she said.

"Another? Who are you?" Kaiser asked.

"Headhunter," she replied. "I am… let's call it pest control. I go from city to city and deal with problematic cases. For the betterment of society."

"Are you talking about Crucify?" Lung asked.

"Yes, and in fact, I know where she is tonight."

"I believe I speak for everyone present when I say that we would be more than happy to have her removed," Coil said, steepling his hands. "What do you want, and what do you propose?"

The girl allowed a small smile to spread on her lips, hidden behind her mask. She clapped her hands together, addressing the whole room. "I just want her to stop stirring up nasty trouble no one needs, and I think I have managed to figure out her pattern. You see, due to some personal issues I have a rather strong distaste for serial killers, but I can't act against her myself…"

By the time the girl made it to the abandoned warehouse near the waterfront, sirens were filling the night sky with their howling whine. A helicopter flew overhead, and she remained in the shadow of the alley until it was gone. Something in the distance exploded. She didn't know what that was about, but it was safe to assume that her plan had been a success.

She'd left the meeting early. Her limited time was too precious to waste on political bickering, veiled threats, and open backstabbing, and there was already a hint of crimson on the horizon. She woke up early, and so the girl had to hurry. She didn't have much time left.

Her arms were aching, and so was her still-bruised eye, but that didn't impact her mood. The tunnel was almost finished, and if Coil kept his word, there were many things she wouldn't have to worry about anymore. Two weeks left, and then…

She didn't know what, if she was honest with herself, but that was a problem for another day.

The warehouse was empty when she entered, so she didn't waste any time trying to be stealthy, instead heading straight toward the rope that allowed her to climb onto the rafters of the large industrial hall. Even in the darkness, balancing on the narrow metal beams was nearly effortless for her. She'd always been graceful, with a knack for acrobatics.

She easily found the hidden stash she'd set up months in advance, and after finding a secure stand, she sat down her backpack, carefully balancing it so it wouldn't fall the twenty feet or so down to the hard concrete-poured ground.

She carefully retrieved the cloth-wrapped rapier she'd strapped to the side of the backpack and stowed it away, followed by the foldable compound bow and a bunch of small cloth bags in various sizes. It was risky to store everything important to her in one location, but she had to cut her ties before it was too late.

She wasn't a chess master by any means - it wasn't her style - but she'd done what she could, and if she was lucky, the Crucify issue would be solved tonight. If not, she'd have to replan. Now, there was only one more thing to do.

The girl doused the rope in gasoline, before climbing down to the ground – carefully as to not slip on the now-slick surface – and setting it aflame with a lighter from her pocket, before shrugging out of her gas-stained jacket and gloves, and offering them to the flames as well. The remaining ash was scooped away, and the bits she couldn't reach anymore would be handled by the wind. The roof was full of holes anyway, so it should suffice.

After disposing of the ash, and checking whether she'd forgotten anything, she stepped to the center of the large room, pulled her phone out, and made a call.

It didn't take long for someone to frantically bang against the door from the outside.

"Aki? Aki?" Someone shouted in a shaken voice. "Are you there? Let me in."

"Layla? Yeah, hang on," the girl replied, unlocking the door so the other girl could storm in. She looked awful. A trembling, shocked mess with eyes like a deer in headlights. "What happened? What's wrong?"

"T-they killed her. The heroes, this suicide villain, they…they," Layla sobbed, but her words turned more and more into raged screaming as she pounced on the girl, lashing out with her fists at her chest. "They fucking killed her. You said it's just a prank, and they…they…."

"Oh shit."

"Oh shit… OH SHIT?" Layla screamed, lashing out, but the girl blocked her flailing hand, twisted her arm, and forced her into a police grip in one smooth motion. "She couldn't even speak before he killed her – blew himself up right behind her. They're fighting in the streets, destroying everything. ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?"

"Yeah," the girl flatly replied, dropping all pretense of caring. With her free hand, she pulled the handgun from her pocket, and without hesitation, she put three bullets into the back of Layla's head.

Each shot echoed like a thunder strike through the empty warehouse.

That ties up the last of my issues, she thought as she stepped over the corpse of the homeless girl on the ground. She'd been useful in setting up the ambush a few days prior, a good proxy to approach Trainwreck, but she knew too much – was unreliable and bitchy. She couldn't risk it. Not now, when they were so close…and in danger.

Now I just have to–

The girl froze, both in body and thought as she felt it. A mental tug at the invisible, unrelenting leash that kept her chained. The only reminder that she was as fake as the Kanzashis she'd thrown away earlier. With a curse, she lifted the gun to her temple. There was no time to dispose of the corpse tonight.

She hesitated and lowered the gun. Right, the phones. She retrieved her phone, and after a quick pocket search, that of her victim as well. If someone were to find the corpse, she hoped they'd just think of it as a normal gang hit. Some junkie who couldn't pay their dealer turned into an example.

Her eyes found a high spot above on the rafters, and then she hurled the phones with all her might, watching as they sailed through the air, looping around obstacles as if they were homing missiles and finally disappearing.

The girl couldn't help but contemplate idly as she raised the gun to her temple again, that despite how the villains had acted, she somehow didn't have the impression that Lung, Kaiser, and Coil had been particularly surprised about Entourage and her team showing up.

She dreaded what came next, but she pulled the trigger without hesitation, her thoughts cutting out as her brain splattered across the floor. Her body collapsed immediately, the handgun slipping from her fingers. Yet, by the time it clattered to the ground, the blood and her body were gone as if they had never existed in the first place.

Last edited:
A bit of a peek behind the Shardy curtain. Things seem rather different than usual, though it looks like she doesn't retain any memories of previous visits to the Firmament.
I wonder if that's an intentional block or something that will diminish with time.

Hello everyone. Since I'm still without computer, I threw this together on my phone, so apologies for any quirks. For the first of the world building reveals, I thought I'd introduce one of Taylor's upcoming classmates at Clarence High in Boston. I hope you like her!

Character Dossier Galatia

Jessica Mayer
Female (16)
Striker/Brute

Alignment: Villain

Courtesy of Intrigue_Diablo

TBA

Height:170 cm
Weight:?
Ethnicity:Caucasian
Skin:White, with noticeable scarring
Eyes:Grey
Hair:White blonde, short
Sexuality:Gay
Hobbies:?
Respects:?
Dislikes:Debt, Poverty, Authority,
Despises:?

Description:

In her civilian identity, Jessica Mayer is an orphaned but ordinary high school student with a mean streak. But when she`s not busy stemming her crumbling life, school, or taking care of her disabled kid brother, she's known as Galatia, a C-list villain offering her services as cheap hired muscle and enforcer for whoever pays her. Her name is derived from the ancient Celtic tribe of the Galatians in central Anatolia (Turkey)

She's a young, slender woman with short pale blonde hair and the physique of a bodybuilder. Due to the car accident, she is heavily scarred, with her left hand mutilated, and her left cheek damaged in a way that distorts the corner of her mouth. Despite that, she is relatively confident in her appearance.

While she is a bit of a rebel, she isn't hotheaded, and even somewhat conflict-averse. She is professional on the job, trying not to let things get personal as she doesn't like the idea of having people seriously gunning for her.

She doesn't lack empathy but is a bit of a sadist who enjoys petty acts of fucking people over, often justifying it by spinning it as (harmless) revenge against the world that fucked her and her brother over so hard. She usually keeps her head down, unwilling to take wild risks, but she may choose to play a little with her opponent if she thinks she can get away with it.

History:

After losing her parents in a car crash that left her disfigured, and tied her kid brother to a wheelchair, the now freshly orphaned Jessica took custody of her little brother. Originally from Washington, she had to decide between Boston and New York to get her brother into an experimental treatment program that might allow him to walk again one day.

To finance their life and the horrendous medical costs for her beloved brother, Jessica turned to Villainy, robbing stores and selling her services as cheap, reliable hired muscle for gangs and whatever client hires her. She isn't a killer, but due to her trigger situation, she currently has a body count of 2.

Costume:

Jessica's costume consists of a crude full metal suit made from heavy scrap metal that covers her entire body, and a full, bland metal mask that covers her entire face. It is vaguely oval, with two eye holes, and a circular series of holes over her nose and mouth so she can breathe and speak.

While her costume covers her entire front, it is intentionally designed to leave everything else entirely exposed, showcasing her bare muscular back, flanks, and a daring hint of side boobs.

While her primary weapon usually consists of an reinforced baseball bat and blunt throwables, she has access to much more lethal equipment like throwing knives, javelins, and sharp axes.

Powers:

Jessica's striker power lets her mark objects (items, clothes, objects, but there is a weight limitation) by touching and pulling them back to her. This allows her to return thrown items to her hands, pull crates into the backs of her enemies, or make people stumble by pulling them forward and into her attacks. Once she marks you, a normal person has no chance to run away.

She has a primary brute power with regeneration, enhanced strength (300-400 kg lifting weight), and enhanced resilience. She is able to shrug off low-caliber bullets to an extent.

Last edited:
Butcher Claus - A Wild Ride
Butcher Claus - A Wild Ride

I stirred a little, my brain trying to register something; some sound outside. It kind of sounded like an animal. What was that one animal that was like a deer for the cold? Ah, yeah, a reindeer. Think there were like, twelve of them? Eight, maybe? Rudolph and Blitzen and Prancer and Dancer and -I yawned- Vixen and Comet…

Bang!

I jolted awake. My eyes opened immediately, and I looked around the warehouse I was living in, the only light coming from the openings up top. I threw the cover away and got off my shitty ass bed. Honestly, I should really get a new one. I mean seriously, this damn thing creaks so much sometimes you'd think someone was fucking on it relentlessly.

Maybe kipe a better one? A voice said to me, it was gravely and low. Judging from the use of slang, it was probably one of the first few. Definitely not The Butcher, because he was one loud motherfucker. Makes sense since he was the first.

I carefully got up, praying to whatever God that might exist that the stupid fucking thing wouldn't break. It thankfully didn't, as I pushed myself off my sandpaper block of a bed. I carefully walked around the place, trying to not make a sound. Passing by my workshop, my stove, my generator, and the Sentinel sleeping in the center of the room.

I stopped as I looked into the room where Lung was currently sleeping. He was snoring loudly, the violent noise at odds with his otherwise peaceful look. His room was cluttered with so much… stuff. He had different pieces of clothing hanging from chairs, or on the floor, and his trash can was filled to the brim with take-out boxes from Asian restaurants. He always seems to complain about how it's a 'disgrace to Asian culture', yet he eats that shit like a pig.

I sighed, as I made my way to the door. I grabbed my black winter jacket, white fur lining on its collar. I shrugged it over my shoulders and slid my arms into the sleeves before donning my red gloves and my red beanie. Opening the door, with a sickeningly rusty squeal, I felt the frigid night air hit me in the face. Stepping outside, I could see no one walking around. All the cars were covered in snow, and some of the street lights were blinking.

That's weird. There are usually at least a few people outside, even in this kinda weather. Said a soft voice.

I walked around the street, all alone. It was… weird. No light came from inside the buildings. For a split second, I heard something.

I started to power walk, as the noise -which sounded like bells ringing- grew louder. I found it in the air. A giant red velvet sleigh with golden accents, and at the front: nine reindeer. I could barely catch a red figure zooming around different buildings.

No fucking way. A male voice said.

My curiosity grew as I cautiously walked towards it. The reindeer gave me no attention as I stood beneath the sleigh, Santa's Sleigh.

Holy shit Santa is real.

That… what? For a while now, I had basically forgotten about Santa. I treated him like just a silly story that my parents -and many others- told kids to instill the holiday spirit. I tripped a little, catching myself on a light pole. I looked up to it, to see that it was close enough to the sleigh that I could…

I could climb up to the sleigh.

I looked at my hands, took a deep breath, and grabbed onto it. Using my strength, I climbed -more like I pulled- up. I hung onto the head of the light pole as I looked at the sleigh again. The back had a giant rucksack, held shut by a piece of golden rope. The front had a cushioned seat and a steering device that looked like what you'd find in a plane, but there were also dials and buttons and readouts. It all seemed anachronistic. Too modern.

I readied myself and jumped. I barely made it, grabbing onto the sled blades of the sleigh. My weight made the sleigh shift, the side I'd grabbed onto dipping toward the ground. Thankfully, whatever was keeping it in the air kept it from upending or falling from the sky with a bit of added weight, and I was able to gain some balance as the sleigh slowly corrected itself. Hand over hand, I started to pull myself up, and once I was over the lip, I fell hard into the inside of the sleigh.

I froze up as I heard something else land on the sleigh as well. I looked up to see a very tall man, setting down a smaller sack, similar to the big one. He wore a long, shiny red leather coat. White fur along the edges. Large black boots, black leather gloves. And finally, a red and white hat.
This was Santa Claus.

He turned around and saw me, his eyes widening.

"AH!" He let out a loud, booming shout as he fell backward. There wasn't much room in the sleigh, and he was already standing near the edge. I leaped forward, trying to grab him, as I saw him fall toward the ground. I was too late. He fell, screaming, until there was a sickening, crunching splat. I stared downwards, at the motionless body of Santa.

Holy Shit! Screamed the Butcher.

"Shit shit shit!" I was about to teleport, before stopping myself. Teleporting would only hurt the sleigh and scare the reindeer. I took a breath and jumped down, feeling my insides move around uncomfortably. I rolled when I landed on the ground.

I stopped before crawling over to Santa. I unbuttoned his jacket and put my ear to his chest. I could hear the heart beating. I let go as I sighed with relief.

Well, at least you didn't fuck it up that bad. A gruff voice said.

I let out a long breath, as I noticed his hat on the ground. Reaching out, I grabbed it by its end. The hat began to… disappear into sparkles? And my beanie felt a lot lighter than before. I put my hand on my beanie. But the texture was wrong.

In the corner of my eye, I saw my reflection in a window. On my head wasn't my red beanie, but Santa's red and white hat. I tried to pull it off, yet it wouldn't budge. I watched as my clothes turned a shiny red and white.

Bahahahaha! She got fuckin 'The Santa Clause'd! Laughed a voice at my predicament. If I remember correctly, The Santa Clause was a movie where a guy accidentally became… Santa Claus.

Oh, fuck.

And since the real Santa is knocked the fuck out, he might not be able to deliver all the presents. Meaning…

We've gotta save Christmas! A voice shouted in utter glee. I groaned, realizing how doomed I was. I grabbed Santa's unconscious -and heavy as fuck- body. Now then, how to get Santa back into the sleigh.

Well, we can't teleport, maybe climb something? A soft voice suggested.

I could do that, but I wouldn't be climbing the light pole again, it would be too hard. I needed to get up there. All of a sudden, I felt my body move upwards, as I landed -if a bit clumsily- on the sleigh. I looked around in surprise, as I looked at myself.

I threw my hand out as I watched a snowball fly from my hand and into the building. I looked at my hands in awe. I had… magic? I mean, it was the only thing that made sense. So, whoever wears Santa's hat gets his powers, which is what I'm getting from this.

I heard a beep as I turned to look at the controls, on the screen a little alarm clock was blinking. The words 'Hurry Up!' were in the middle of the screen. I sat down as I watched the screen, I saw a map of the entire world, 100% everywhere except America and Canada. America was 37%, with only the bottom edge being colored in. Canada however was 0%.
The time in the corner said 3:42 AM.

Shit, I didn't have much time. I looked around to see the reins for the reindeer. I set Santa down safely on the floor, before grabbing the leash. I took a deep breath, held onto the leash as tight as possible, and signaled for the reindeer to go.

The sleigh took off at high speeds as it went higher and higher into the night sky. Eventually, the reindeer slowed to a halt. Getting up, I looked to see how far away from Boston I was. I could barely make out the buildings anymore.

Damn. A voice said in awe at the view. I sat back down as I looked at the map. It honestly felt like I understood it now. Like, everything about it made sense to me. Pushing a button, I zoomed in on my location. By the looks of it, Santa planned a route -indicated by a blue line- for his delivery route. His route was to go along the bottom edge of America before going up and down between it and Canada.

Better get going. Said a stern voice.

Right. Grabbing the leash again, I signaled for the reindeer to go. "Let's do this!"

◼​

I landed in a small town in Quebec, as I grabbed a smaller version of the giant rucksack. I jumped from house to house, delivering presents. It went from simple things like toy planes to cars. To uh, a stuffed bunny and firecrackers for a little girl named Tina.

Aw, how cute, a young arsonist. Said a voice with not a hint of sarcasm. I understood the bunny but the firecrackers concerned me. The fact that her dad -Roland- was in the army, might explain it.

◼​

I watched around the corner, a homeless man sleeping under a bridge. He was dirty, his clothes baggy and he slept under an old cover. I sighed as I pulled out a plastic container, inside was a piping hot rotisserie chicken, golden brown potatoes and carrots on the side, a shining drizzle of gravy on top; even with a set of silver-plated cutlery. I crouched next to him, setting it down. Getting up, I went to get back to the sleigh.

"T-thank you." A hoarse voice said. I turned to see the man now awake, holding onto the container.

"Merry Christmas, Philip." He looked at me with surprise at the fact that I knew his name. I chuckled before dashing back to the sleigh.

◼​

I crawled through the window of the orphanage. All the lights inside were shut off, meaning that it would be pretty hard to see. Luckily for me, I had Santa powers. I blinked twice as suddenly, it was like it was as bright as if it was the middle of the day. It was a bit jarring to go from pitch black to noon but it helped.

I walked over to the tree, a pretty big one at that, and started to put down the p[resents. But in the corner of my eye, I noticed something. A little boy was sleeping on a couch nearby. His hair was messy, he wore a Christmas sweater, and overall, looked peaceful in his sleep.

I walked over to him, patting him on the head, before placing down his present on the coffee table in front of him.

◼​

I snuck through a facility in Vancouver. The whole place was filled to the brim with security measures. This kid's parent was probably a tinker if this is where they lived. Wonder who this could be, maybe they were…

Is that what I think it is? A low voice said as I stared at Dragon's logo. The best tinker in the world. I heard a beeping noise and I immediately hid away. I watched as a drone flew past me, before disappearing around the corner.

I took a deep breath and continued my journey through Dragon's facility. I eventually found a Christmas tree in a giant hall. I went and placed the presents down quickly until I heard the slamming of metal on the ground.

Fuck! Shouted the Butcher.

"Ha! I knew it!" As I looked behind me to see multiple Dragon suits watching me. A drone flew forward. "I knew Santa was real! Take that, you non-believers!"

"Uh, the real Santa is not here right now," I said awkwardly as I fully turned to her, hiding most of my face.

"Wait, you're not Santa," Dragon said in surprise.

"Yeah, I uh, I'm more of an intern," I said as I dashed away in a red blur. Metal doors slammed down, yet it didn't stop me, as I phased through them all. Landing on the sleigh, I grabbed the leash. "Let's get outta here!"

I stared at the night sky, all the stars blinking and shining. It was nice, and oh so very peaceful. Like an autumn morning near a lake. Or at least that's what I wou-

Fuck you, I'm right! Fuck you!

The restaurant in Chuck E Chee-

Shut the fuck up! You're wrong! Shut up!

-and you eat the pizza at Chuck E Cheese, it's the Chuck E Cheese pizza!

This
has been going on for a while now. Apparently, one of the voices said something about Chuck E Cheese being a themed restaurant and another one of the voices took offense to that. And here I am, listening to the most retarded argument I have ever heard in my life.

Listen, a different, softer voice, tried to speak

You're all dumber than me.

Chocolates are candy but candy isn't chocolate,
it continued

Oh no we're not doing this, said a low voice.

Why are you talking about chocolate -fuck- look, Chuck E Cheese is a restaurant, an arcade and a tube house.

Okay, one, a restaurant serves food-

It serves pizza and salad!

The quality of Chuck E Cheese food is not
-

The pizza might be made of rubber but the salad is- that's real lettuce they bought from a faaarm!

Listen,
a gravelly voice said there's a chef in the back of the-

CHEF?! You're calling the dude who works at Chuck E Cheese a chef?

Chuck E Cheese went to culinary school, a-and he prepares every pizza-

The bar has never been lower!

-with love and care!

Listen,
the gravelly voice spoke again, there's four things that something can be qualified as if its job is to have food in it. First is a person, second is a grocery store, third is a grain silo and fourth is a restaurant.

Feel like there's more than four,
said a distinctive voice. God, when will my suffering end already?

I don't care, it's not a restaurant.

Well, it's not a grain silo or a person.
Said the gravelly voice.

It is a restaurant! And an arcade!

It's not a restaurant, it has food in it.
Oh my fucking god, this is so stupid.

What does that mea- We have food in the warehouse!

The warehouse is a grain silo,
at that moment, every voice stopped. Then the dam broke, and everyone started to die laughing. To be fair, I myself was having a hard time trying not to laugh at what I just heard.

Okay, A few more houses and this will finally be over. I looked over to Santa's still unconscious body. That fall couldn't have been that bad, right? I checked his pulse and yes, he was still breathing.

What a fuckin snowflake, a voice said, chuckling at his own joke.

I landed on top of the roof of the cabin, I checked the time to see I had about 30 minutes left. Luckily, this was the last house, a small cabin on the outskirts of a small, quaint town. I climbed on top of the chimney and took a deep breath before jumping down. I stopped at the edge of the chimney, before landing on the fireplace floor.

The place looked cozy, with a beautiful carpet floor, a couple of leather couches, and a… real Christmas tree. It looked perfect. The trunk wasn't thin like the ones you buy from random people on the road, the needles were a vibrant green and the star just barely didn't touch the ceiling.

I checked the time to see that I had 25 minutes left. With a sigh, I sat down, as I took in the view. I can see why Santa loves doing this. Or at least, I assume he loves doing it.

"Hello?" I heard a voice speak behind me. I turned to see a little girl, holding a teddy bear, watching me. Her hair was messy, with a couple of hairs pointing out, her nightgown had a little stain on it, and her socks were mismatched. She stared at me in confusion. "You're not Santa."

"I-," I don't know why but, what she said hurt a little. I wasn't Santa Claus, the one who brought everyone presents, just some girl… that not a lot of people cared about. Other than the fact that I'm the Butcher, I'm kind of a nobody. "Y-yeah, I'm… not Santa… sorry."

"Then who are you?" She said as she sat down next to me. I stared at her before turning to the tree.

"I… guess I'm the girl who accidentally pulled herself into a cliche Christmas movie?" She just looked at me in confusion, causing me to awkwardly chuckle. "Yeah, that was stupid."

"You have a really big scar on your face." She said.

"And?" Oh boy, she's gonna say something dumb isn't she?

"I think it's cool!" She said with a small giggle. Oh, I did not expect that. I noticed that there was now 15 minutes left.

"Uh, anyway, I should probably give you this." I reached into the sack and pulled out a small present. She gasped as she took the present with a giddy smile. She looked like she was about to rip it open before she looked at me. She sat closer to me, as she slowly and carefully unwrapped the present.

Inside was a necklace, a heart locket at the end of it.

"Merry Christmas Shelby," I said, patting her on the head.

"Ho, ho, ho, how splendid." I turned to see Santa standing with his hands on his hips, and a big toothy smile on his face.

"Santa!" Shelby had practically jumped up to stand next to me.

"H-hi Santa," I said awkwardly.

"Hello Taylor," he said as he walked up to me, "I think it's about time we go."

"R-right," I said as I turned to Shelby. "Bye Shelby."

I almost fell as Shelby slammed herself into me, hugging me. I knelt as I hugged her back.

"So, how was it being Santa?" He said as we walked to the sleigh.

"Kind of a mixed bag, not like… in a bad way though. I have seen so much stuff, and that was just North America, I can only imagine what the whole world is like."

"That's about right. Every year, something new happens. It's why I never get bored of doing this." He said as he turned to me. "Well then, let me hear it."

"Hear what?"

"The questions obviously," he chuckled a little. "You gotta have a few, right?"

"Oh, yeah, sure." I cleared my throat. "What's the hardest place to deliver? Which place gets the most presents? Do you have a favorite milk? Do you actually see us all the time? Cause no offense, that's kinda creepy."

Christ woman, slow down, said a voice in amusement.

"Africa, with the past few years. Eurasia. I've been trying stuff out, chocolate almond milk is really good by the way, at least in my opinion. I see you when you're sleeping and I know when you're awake. Like, the moment you're conscious I stop seeing you."

"Huh, that actually makes a lot of sense." Never thought of it that way. We kept walking and reached the sleigh.

"I actually wanted to show you something." He said as he jumped on top of the sleigh, and put his hand in the giant sack, before pulling out a silver box. "Come here."

I walked to him and held the box out for me to take it.

"I'll admit Taylor, this year you have been quite naughty." A piece of paper flew in front of me with the words naughty list. It unfurled as glowing names appeared on it, my name growing in size. "However, for what you did today, I think I can give you something in return."

My name disappeared from the list, as he handed me the silver box. With trepidation, I slowly opened the box. And my breath hitched.

Inside was my mother's flute, untouched, perfectly pristine, and shining.

"T-Thank you," I said, tears streaming down my face.

"Now, do you know what time it is Taylor?" He said, slightly crouching down.

"N-no?"

"It's time to wake up." He clapped.

I jolted up, my breath ragged, and looked around to see I was in the warehouse. The morning sun shone through the windows up top. I sighed, realizing that all of it was a dream. Until, in the corner of my eye, I saw that same silver box. A small note on it.

'Merry Christmas Taylor'

From Santa

AN: This took me way longer than it should have. I hope you guys enjoyed this.

Character Dossier number two, this time featuring one of the more special individuals dwelling in the beautiful city of Boston. She is a bit of a crazy bint, but I hope you like her!

Character Dossier Thrillseeker

Zarah Bennet
Female (24)
Brute (Shaker/Striker) 7/Thinker 3

Alignment: Villain

TBA

TBA

Description:

In her civilian identity, Zarah Bennet is a dark-skinned, athletic girl with long black hair. She is slender and charming, with long dark hair and intense eyes. She is usually friendly but a bit unhinged, and quite promiscuous. Being a rather physical girl in nature, she has a knack for sport and is an enthusiastic martial arts athlete. Yet, no one would suspect the unassuming first-semester Harvard medicine student to be Boston's resident battle maniac.

Thrillseeker is an adrenaline junkie, and there are only two things that get her rolling high like nothing else; fighting, and combat. She is a pit fighter, and even when she isn't dominating Boston's underground fighting rings, she goes out of her way to provoke fights by seeking out worthy targets… no matter whether hero or villain. She is an incredibly skilled and dangerous fighter, with military training (from her time with the Marines), martial arts skills, and terrifyingly good instincts, even without powers.

She doesn't commit traditional villainy, she doesn't punch down on opponents, and she (usually) doesn't see fighting as something personal. For her, it's a sport, something to make her feel alive, and unless she harbors a grudge, she will fight fair and just for the fun of it. While she is known to occasionally take up mercenary work, she is known to be rather picky about it and only accepts when there's something to fight.

Given her generally approachable nature, as well as a sweet spot for kids, she has been involved in several (in)famous events, including:

• "Training sessions" with the Wards and other junior heroes, where she ambushes them and proceeds to light-heartedly fight them to "teach them some tricks."
  • The infamous interview session with the Dynamic Duo Squad, Roxbury's junior neighborhood hero watch, where she was interviewed by them for their weekly podcast after refusing to seriously fight them (and still utterly humiliating them, while at it).

As a person, she highly values personal freedom and honesty (talk shit, get hit). While the activities and crimes of other villains generally leave her cold, she despises slavery and will go out of her way to harass and sabotage Orchard whenever she can. She's bisexual and attracted to strong and capable people. She also loves a good, casual hump after a good fight, which frequently leads to awkward situations when she starts hitting on her opponent during or after a fight.

History:

In school, Zarah had always struggled to find her purpose. Unlike her academic family, she'd always been physical and impulsive, unhinged and confrontational. She'd always been into sport and martial arts turned out to be an anchor in her life she could latch on. After getting into an escalating brawl to protect a friend of hers, she discovered what really drove her; fighting, but without the rules, without any bonds.

The blood and power as she punched down her opponent with ease intoxicated her, overriding her logical thinking, and made her feel alive in a way nothing else had to this point. Yet, she wanted it to be something better, something that didn't just make her another brutish thug, and after returning home from serving a few years in the military, Zarah discovered the joy that was illegal pit-fighting.

After a match gone horribly wrong in New York thanks to a raid from other supervillains, leading to an explosion that killed most of the present fighters and guests, Zarah triggered, and following the pressure of her parents decided to move to Boston and study medicine.

Costume:

Zarah's costume is rather simple, consisting of a color-matching combination of a dark leotard with turquoise highlights that show off her abs, similarly colored arm sleeves that show off her shoulders, baggy cargo pants that sit low on her waist, and combat boots. her head is protected by an armored helmet with a visor and a detachable armored gas mask with a voice changer. In costume, she usually wears her hair in a giant braid that goes all the way down to her hips. It is usually interwoven with sharp blades and barbed wire to prevent someone from grabbing it.

Powers:

Zarah can wrap herself in a formfitting telekinetic aura that both protects her and increases her speed and natural strength. The shield consists of an invisible hex-grid consisting of exactly 267 individual same-sized panels that cover her entire body head to toe but can be rearranged to reinforce vulnerable spots at the cost of leaving other areas vulnerable. The individual panels, while giving her a cumulating strength boost, primarily function as ablative shielding which can be used both offensively or defensively. Severe damage to the shields will cause them to violently explode, causing a heavy backlash to whoever hits her. She is fully immune to the explosions of her forcefield hexes, and can also detonate them at will. Furthermore, they will cause the air around her to distort, thus making her harder to see and hit at range.

By refocusing the majority of her shields to her fists, legs, or other body parts used for attacking, and detonating them upon impact, she can cause massive damage to her opponent in close combat. The force fields themselves are more susceptible to penetrating than blunt force, and while each panel only takes about half a second to respawn after exploding, it takes Zarah the same amount of time to consciously reshuffle them.

Her Thinker ability gives her a vague awareness of where something is coming from, where it hits, and how much shielding she needs to use to block it. This allows her to prep and plan mid-fight, and even dodge bullets to some extent.

Last edited:
Book 1: Chapter 11
Thursday, 09. December 2010

In my dreams, I was surrounded by fire. Smoke was everywhere, like rusty daggers burying themselves in my nose and my burning throat. My eyes were teary, and my sight was a blurry mess. I tried wiping my glasses as I flinched away from the flames licking at my feet, but my view didn't clear. All I did was smear more blood and dirt across the lenses.

I needed to get away. Get away get away get away get away.

"Help!" I screamed, again for what must have been the hundredth time today, but no one came. I was alone. I was about to die. I had to get out.

The fire was between me and the door now, the heat unbearable. Searing my lungs, my front, and my back. When I looked behind me, there was a wall of fire there too. Soaring, raging, all-consuming. Like a monster ready to lunge and devour me in a heartbeat.

I looked ahead, at the smaller flames between me and the door that was my only way out. I had no other chance. I closed my eyes, taking a single step forward. Then another and another, sprinting one two three four steps, even though my legs were wobbling beneath me, threatening to collapse.

I was going to die die die die. I wanted to sob, to cry and scream for help, but the smoke was too thick. Dad, help me, I thought between choked sobs. Emma, Mom, anyone. Please. Dad…

I jumped, and fire singed my legs. But I made it and stumbled through the double doors ahead. The hallway was dark, and there was a single sprinkler dripping water onto me. Smoke pooled everywhere around me, from open doors and rows of glowing lockers. My leg was in agony, and when I looked down, my jeans were ablaze.

I threw myself below the sprinkler, rolling myself on the spiked floor and hitting my leg with the palm of my hand. One of the lenses of my glasses cracked as it hit the ground, and every time my palm touched the smoldering fabric a new surge of pain spiked through my body.

But I didn't stop, even when the scattered debris and glass shards on the ground sliced my skin apart. Only when the flames were gone did I fall on my back; panting, coughing, staring at the ceiling. My eyes burned, and when I tried to speak, no voice came from my throat. I croaked and hacked, but each movement was like I was gargling red-hot nails.

My entire body was in agony. Bruised, sliced and cooked. My legs ached, and when I brought my trembling fingers up to my face, they were shaking uncontrollably. I was just so…tired. I wanted to just stay there, enjoy the warm water caressing my face, close my eyes, and sleep. It would be nice. It would be comfortable.

The pain would go away.

It would be over.

No! No no no no no, my jumbled mind screamed at me. I couldn't stay. If I stayed, the door would find me. It would find me.

I didn't know what the door was, or it, but they elicited such a primal fear in me that I threw myself into motion as soon as the thoughts had formed in my head; scrambling, crouching, and wriggling until I somehow managed to get on my feet. Glass shards dug into my palm as I pushed myself up. My eyes burned, my knees trembled and something broke under my shin, but even when I all but vomited in pain and terror, I pushed on. Something thundered behind me, followed by a shockwave of roaring fire and a guttural gurgle, and I screamed and ran.

I ran and ran and ran and ran through blurry hallways filled with smoke and vicious laughter. Ghosts with demonic faces pointed at me as I stumbled past them, laughing, screaming, and howling. A bare-chested girl pounced on me, trying to kiss me with a mouth filled with jagged glass shards for teeth. Smoke dripped from her maw. A half-eviscerated man raised his arms at me in a begging gesture, smoke pooling from the gashes in his abdomen.

Something wet trailed down my cheeks, and I didn't know whether it was blood or tears.

I had to get away away away away.

Emma knelt on the floor ahead, smiling ecstatically at me as she held my mother's flute. Her eyes bore into mine, cold and evil.

I tried to break my gaze, but I couldn't. I tried to run faster, but I couldn't. I only managed to look away when I was past her, and another ghost cackled at me, drawing my attention. He pointed at me as I stumbled past him, his arm stretched out accusingly as he stretched out his wispy fingers. Half of them were missing, as was half of his hand. Like he'd held an object before it exploded.

Glass shards were embedded into his empty eye sockets. "You killed me, Songbird" he laughed, holding a wispy toddler made from smoke. "You killed us all, monster. Murderer. You aren't a Songbird. You are a shrapnel bomb, a shatterer! A herald of destruction." His last words were more akin to the manic cackle of a madman, sending shudders down my spine.

"Sing for us," the other ghosts howled as I ran past them, my eyes glued to the glowing floor.

A wave of scalding heat hit my back, and I only now realized that the only thing I wore was a pair of my old pajama pants. My juice-stained clothes were gone, as were my shoes and my backpack. I was barefoot, but even as I ran over the shattered tiles, I felt nothing from it. Another wave of scalding heat hit my back, and when I dared to look back, I screamed in panic.

A raging monster made from fire devoured the world – the ghosts, the corridor, the doors, and the lockers – behind me. I ran faster…couldn't go anywhere else but forward. The corridor seemed endless. Smoke and doors and smoke and–

A corner, finally!

I almost fell as I scrambled around it, only to get grabbed by a gray, gauntleted hand. It too was made of smoke, dark and wispy, constantly drifting apart yet seemingly solid, with wispy clouds and tendrils of the stuff drifting away whenever it moved. It was almost like an echo, delayed and laggy in a way a bad recording was.

It closed around my upper arm, struggling with the bulk of my biceps, but it prevented me from falling. I flailed, trying to pull myself free, but the ghostly grip was as merciless as a pair of iron shackles. I couldn't get away, no matter how much I strained against the hand, and so I found myself stabilized against a broad, armored chest, frightened, and trembling.

When I regained my balance and looked up, I found myself staring at a king crowned with swords. If it weren't for his crown, I might have been a bit taller than him, but he managed to loom over me like a judging ghost from the past. I couldn't make out his face, but I couldn't tell whether it was due to his helmet hiding details or the distorting echoes of smoke making his features unrecognizable.

All of this happened in a split second, and before I could gather my thoughts, another thunderous explosion and a wave of heat hit me from behind. Something howled like a dying animal in agony – an echoing chorus of screams and sobs and cries vibrating with sheer, concentrated pain– and I whirled around.

The fire surged around the corner like a tsunami. A massive liquid inferno which swallowed the entire corridor, devouring everything. Walls cracked, and doors, ceiling tiles, and lockers were disintegrated within seconds… until there was nothing but the blazing, hypnotizing flames. When I stared longer, figures began to morph from the fire, and I recognized them as the ghosts from before. They screamed and howled, trying to grab me with their fiery hands and pull me into their embrace.

I tried to back up, but the king's smokey body I was pressing myself against remained unyielding.

The dance of demonic silhouettes ahead kept me entranced, and so I didn't resist in time when the king–thing behind me adjusted his grip, wrapping his arm around me. Then, he calmly raised his hand, and swords fell from the sky, slamming into the pulsating mass of ghosts.

Another figure stepped up beside him, a woman of gold, clockwork, and glass, holding a cannon in her metal fingers. And when she fired, the world around me shattered.

Reality itself broke apart into a myriad of splinters. Paint, furniture, decorations, and fixtures flaked off or crumbled away, revealing a kaleidoscope of iridescent colors. I immediately recognized it for what it was: Glass. Millions upon millions of shards, drifting, shifting, pulsating, and grinding together in a strangely dynamic way.

Something shifted subtly beneath my feet, and when I looked around, the corridor around and behind me had turned into a mosaic of colors, further accentuated by the soft and gentle glow emanating from between the cracks.

Yet the bit ahead, occupied by the ranging mess of fire and ghosts remained untouched. It was like reality itself had split apart, with the eerily, smoke-filled decrepit halls of Winslow, and this breathtaking wonder behind me fighting each other for dominion.

Then I blinked, and I was alone.

I stumbled a few steps, but easily managed to keep my balance. Somehow, I felt at peace, but whenever I looked at the gaping hole in the world and the inferno that was Winslow, a stab of primal terror hit me. I couldn't go back, and without another option, I turned around and started following the seemingly endless corridor.

With every step, I could feel the horror and fear sloughing off me like I was rinsing off dirt in the shower. It felt safe, and the longer I walked, the more it felt like something was guiding me.

A warm, gentle breeze caressed my bare skin, sending delighting shudders down my spine, and the air was filled with a humming melody. It wasn't real music – just the constant shifting and cracking of the glass around me – but it sounded nice and soothing.

I couldn't resist probing myself as I walked. The smoothness of my face and hair, the warmth of my skin, the deep ridges and unyielding surfaces of my body, the faint softness of my breasts: I was – by all accounts – totally unharmed. And clean. I was very clean, which was odd given the filth I'd rolled around in mere…moments ago?

How much time had even passed?

I couldn't tell.

I frowned, but I found that I didn't want to dwell on it, so I decided to just keep exploring this breathtaking place I found myself in. It certainly was a nice change to the nightmare I'd just been forced to live out. Was I still dreaming? Most likely. I couldn't tell, but it seemed feasible.

This place was just so…surreal, and I found myself drawn to the glowing cracks between the tiles of glass, idly wondering just what was behind it. I stepped closer, and before I could question the urge, I reached out in passing and let my hand caress a cracked crimson panel. it made up a piece of the wall, roughly at the height of my shoulder, and when I touched it–

The itching was annoying, but I endured it. I'd endured it all day. I hated it, sure, but I was used to things like the sting of hunger in my stomach. School uniforms. At a fucking public High School. Ridiculous. Like I was some fucking hoity-toity Latin School student.

The stupid dress shirt was like sandpaper on my skin. As brand new as the polished leather shoes and the Legend backpack Jisan had bought me three days ago. It was weird to own new things again. To get three hot meals a day. To have a man who responded with tears and a hug when I got into trouble instead of carving another scar into my body with his belt.

It was weird how everything had changed in the span of a mere few weeks.

"Uhm, c-can I go, please?"

I looked down at the middle schooler I'd yanked into the side alley. He was trembling so much that I almost considered pulling the dull switchblade from his throat before he actually hurt himself. Not that I cared much if he did.

I smacked him over the head in annoyance. "Shut up. I was thinking."

"P-please, Saiko. Do you have to do this every w-week?"

I sighed, removing the knife before I pushed him backward with my foot. I was more gentle than I thought I would be. He still stumbled to the ground, looking up at me, and I knelt so we were face to face. Mostly. I'd always been tall for my age.

"Well, Ben," I said, softly tapping his stubby, bespectacled nose with the grip of my knife once. "You know the drill, right? Wallet and lunch, now."

The memory faded as soon as I let go, but the emotions lingered. The sheer surprise. The helplessness, the confusion, but especially the bile stirring in my stomach as I thought about the implications of what I'd just seen.

Fuck could I say that I was happy with my life, that part had died together with Mom and Emma. But–

No, I didn't even want to think about it.

I shuddered, and before I could make up my mind, I kept walking, trailing my fingers along the wall as I did and seeking distraction in the wave of memories that immediately assaulted me.

I beamed at my son, filled with pride and unbridled love as he laughed down at me from the podium, hands clutched around his middle school certificate.

I sat on my recliner like a throne, distractedly watching the TV on the wall with one eye and the raving party around us with the other. The masked woman on my lap shifted, and I tangled my free hand into her short brown hair. It was a bit greasy.

Frustration. My daughter behind and above me, backing me up. It wasn't enough. Light glinting off of towers of white and gray; a stalemate, like it had been for the last five years.

I sat in the darkness on the stairs, clutching my pounding eye and wheezing from between clenched teeth into my arm so no one would wake up. This fucking toy car. This motherfucking stupid toy car. Who the fuck was that dumb to place this piece of maimed garbage on the stairs right before the fucking door so any idiot who'd leave the room immediately stepped on it?? This little fucker.

The memories were fragmented, but there were countless of them. I suspected that every single shard making up this corridor- billions of them- held one fragment of someone's life. I didn't know who, or how, or why, but as I walked through the corridor, touching the occasional shard here and there, I was treated to a wild ride.

Sometimes the memories were sad, sometimes they were happy. A wild mix, including violence, depraved sex orgies that made me tingle all over, and even fractions of my own life. Scenes where I was baking things with Mom, and reading with Dad. The first time I'd kissed Emma, nestled in our pillow fort as we played grown-ups.

And then my bare feet hid wooden floorboards, and I blinked. The tunnel of glass and memories was gone between one blink to the other, replaced by an almost historic-looking hallway that felt oddly familiar. A wooden door smiled at me, framed between worn wood and red brickwork. I'd been here before, multiple times. I knew it, even though the exact memories eluded me.

I approached slowly, inspecting the door before I put my ear against it. There was noise on the other side, the clatter of glasses, and the mumble of people. When I took a breath, my nose caught faint smells of smoke, beer, and freshly baked bread mixed with the odor of old wood.

A bar, or tavern?

I only hesitated a moment before knocking. Could it be a bad idea? Maybe, even though this place felt safe to me. Was I aware of my lack of dress? Fuck yes, but not like I could do anything about that right now, so fuck it. Besides, this had to be some weird ass dream, so what could possibly happen that was worse than fucking Winslow?

Wait, no. That wasn't true, I could –

I hadn't even finished the thought when the mental image rose in my head. It was more of an impression really, a sensation of concepts of sorts, accompanied by the flashing photo of a slender teenage girl dressed in a white dress shirt and a green pleated skirt. I reached for it…

– and then I felt the touch of fabric on my bare skin, closing around my body. When I looked down, my eyes caught white fabric hugging my curves, and a skirt showing off my legs. I was confused, but after a moment I just shrugged it off as another gimmick of this weird dream. Whatever.

I knocked again.

"The fuck knocks –," a muffled voice exclaimed from the other side of the door, drowning out the silent ambient noises coming from the other side, followed by the door getting pushed open. I took a step back, remembering that the door opened from the inside. "...oh hey Tay, I was already wondering who'd knock on the door of a fucking bar."

"Uhm. Hi," I greeted the girl peeking out from behind the door. She was dark-skinned, middle-eastern if I had to guess, with a pretty face and straight black hair falling onto her shoulders. Dark eyes bore into mine, sparkling with concern as she looked me up and down.

"Oh, hey, nice. You figured out the clothes thing by yourself this time. Not that I would have minded…" The girl trailed off, shooting me an intense gaze accompanied by a wide, mischievous smirk. Her voice was nice, sweet, and lilting, and the way she looked at me was kind. She wasn't much older than I was, maybe a few years at best. "You don't look too well. Did you have a nightmare again?"

"Uhm, yeah," I replied, averting my gaze. I wasn't sure what to say.

"Oh, then come in. Come in. Let's get you a hot chocolate," the girl all but shoulder-checked the door fully open, grabbed my arm, and pulled me inside. I almost sputtered when she came fully into view, and when she hooked her arm around mine, it took all my effort not to go rigid like a deer in headlights.

Oh. My. God.

I wasn't prepared for this.

"What happened to your shirt?" I blurted out.

"Hm?" The girl shot me a lazy glance, before casually adjusting the black leather jacket she was wearing with a shrug of her shoulders, uncaring that every person in the room stared at her. Because it was open, with everything beneath it in full, glorious view. From her two arguments to the taunt lines and deep ridges of her stomach. She was shredded to the bone, but in a slender and natural way like a competitive gymnast. There were tattoos too, lines and animals, teeth, blades, and barbed wire snaking across her dark skin. "I don't wear one. Got a problem with that?"

"No." Yeah. No. Fuck, I couldn't even decide.

I sighed. Well, at least it was a nice view.

I looked around, forcing my eyes away from my new distracting friend. I was…in a bar. A nice, tidy place looking like it had been ripped out straight from an 80's sitcom. There were sports memorabilia and quirky decorations on the walls, and the whole place had a dim, rustic vibe to it that just hit right with me.

It was also filled with bozos. I wasn't sure how else to describe the wild mix of–

Oh, no, no shit. Shit. They were staring at me. Not at her. Why were they staring at me?

There's free tits right there, so stop staring at me, I internally growled. It bothered me. I didn't like it when people stared at me. It usually meant two things; pity or wariness. But these guys…

There were a few friendly faces among the sea of people; a military-looking man in a secluded corner even offered me a curt nod, and a tall, willowy woman with dark hair shot me a smile and a tiny wave with her hand, but for the most part, the wild array of…whoever they were looked like they wanted to devour me on the spot.

There were about a dozen of them, men and women of various ages and ethnicities. Some looked normal, while others wore admittedly pretty cool costumes decorated with bones. Their gazes were hard and cold, ranging from neutral all the way to openly hostile.

The old bartender behind the counter simply ignored me and kept polishing glasses.

A part of me considered challenging them. The slender man at the table next to the door didn't look like he'd put up much of a fight. It would be easy. I had two arms made from flesh and bone, I could just saunter over, grab him, and use him to make an example. Break his spine maybe, or force him to eat the bottle of rum in front of him. The entire thing, of course.

The thought put a smile on my face.

As if an invisible spell was broken, the moment passed, and apparently, it seemed like I wasn't worth the hassle. People broke their gaze and went back to their own thing. Chatter and mumbling began filling the room, and soon, I found myself ignored again.

"What is this place?" I asked the girl next to me.

"Dunno…but we call it the Firmament, Home Base, or just That Place," the girl shrugged nonchalantly. "It's a bar. Cozy place. Better than the previous one, so thanks for that. Come on, you need a hot chocolate."

She began pulling me through the room and towards the bar, and having nothing better to do, I allowed her to.

"...and are you sure that's all?"

"Yeah, only those. Kevlar guy had the sniper…"

My ears caught snippets of conversation as I was led past the tables, and I lingered, slowing down to listen as we strode past them. There was a bunch of people, including the willowy woman who'd waved at me, crowded around a central table. A dark-skinned, stocky and very ugly man covered in scars leaned forward as the woman pointed at one of three sketches spread on the wooden surface, but I only caught a brief glimpse of very neat sketches of a man in riot gear and what seemed to be a fucking…viking before a huge bear of a man interposed himself between me and the table.

"Move on, girly," he glowered down at me, and I bristled at the challenge. "Nothing to see here for you."

"Come on Tay, he's right," my guide said, and tugged at my arm. I shot the man a challenging glare but relented, and allowed myself to be dragged away and to the wooden counter. The girl pushed me down onto a stool, before casually vaulting over the bar.

"Uhm," I shot a confused glance at the old bartender a bit further down, but the girl just laughed and shook her head.

"Eh, don't worry about it. It's not like the bigot would serve any of us," the girl shot me a contemplating look as she made herself comfortable behind the bar, leaning forward and propping her elbows onto the counter. I couldn't deny that being treated to the delicious play of her sharp abs was mouthwatering, but I couldn't help but internally groan again. Seriously, why couldn't I ever dream of something normal?

"I- so," I stammered, gluing my gaze to a harmless spot on her leather jacket as she reached up and began rummaging through the cupboards over the counter. "Could you –" Close that jacket, please.

"Nope!" She chirped happily. "Goes against the oath, ya know."

I sighed, turning my head toward the bartender, who was currently busy inspecting the golden cuff links on his sleeve.

"Bigot?" I asked.

"Yup! Well, I guess he'd deny it with some of his fancy stuffed-up words, but that's what we call him," A white cup and several boxes landed on the counter. "Well, I suppose he would serve you something. Us, he doesn't like. Arrogant prick. Doesn't even talk to me. Like I'm nothing but air," the girl muttered under her breath. She bent down and began rummaging through cupboards. "Now where's this stupid milk…"

She opened a cupboard door, only to flinch and slam it shut again. It wasn't fast enough for me.

"Was that a man?" I asked warily. Crammed into a fucking cupboard?

"Yeah," the girl blinked sheepishly up to me. "Uhm, just ignore him? He doesn't really do anything other than drooling, so we usually just put him away where he doesn't bother anyone. We used to put him in a corner…but there he bothers everyone, and Cog even stumbled over him once and broke her nose. Completely out of it, ya know. Very distracting."

"Alright," I sighed, unsure what to make of that. Somehow, I wasn't even surprised anymore.

Soft music purred from the jukebox in the corner, and when I swiped my gaze through the room, I caught the stare of an eerily familiar Asian girl, glaring at me from a table at the rear end of the room. Apart from my guide, she was the only person in the room who seemed to be near my age. Her stare spoke of violence and murder, but when I aggressively met her gaze, she just scowled and gave me the finger before jerkily turning around and focusing on the steaming cup in front of her.

Oh well, I mused. Maybe Lung and Armsmaster would turn up too, and have a lovely dance and a candlelight dinner…

I snorted at the thought.

When the alarm of my smartphone tore me from my sleep, I found myself amid tangled pillows and blankets halfway on the carpeted ground, face to face with two threatening Lego knights stuck in an eternal duel. I groaned, yanking the phone from my nightstand with my song. It clattered quietly to the ground in front of me, and I groggily reached out with my hand, muting the alarm.

I sat up, briefly contemplating the random, fading taste of hot chocolate on my tongue as I regarded the kids' room around me with half-closed eyes. It had been my home for the past few days, and today would be the last of them. It had been surprisingly… nice, all things considered, but I was still relieved to get out of here. Another tune and the phone found its way from the ground and into my hand again.

7 AM …time for my morning run. There was a single message on my phone. From Dad:

We won.

I just blinked stupidly, but eventually, a smile spread on my lips. It refused to go away, even when I donned my sports attire, taking a moment to gloat over my looks before I closed my jacket and left my room. I felt great. I felt proud of myself. There wasn't anything else that needed to be said.

Body-positivity, fuck yes! My therapist would be proud of me.

Something crunched audibly beneath my feet, and even though I barely felt anything, the sound made me cringe. When I looked down, bits of mangled plastic poked out from beneath my bare foot; a crushed toy car. Whoops, I thought. Well, not my fault, little guy. Don't leave your shit everywhere.

Well, fuck that. I'd just get him a new one while I was out. I wasn't gonna ruin my day because of a shitty toy. And, I Idly thought, I should probably also get some kind of thank-you-gift for my hosts. If just for Dad's sake. They'd treated me well during the few days I'd spent with them, and I knew that I was hard to deal with.

Apart from my little blunder in the hallway, I snuck effortlessly through the still-sleeping house, only stopping by the fridge for a snack before I made my way to the front door and donned my running boots. Then, I stepped on the street and started running.

I couldn't help but ponder a little as I picked up the pace and the houses started blurring past me, each step draining more and more tension from my body. With everything that had happened during the past days, threatening to derail anything I'd worked toward violently, it seemed like I'd gotten some breathing room again.

We'd won the lawsuit, which meant that we could pay off our debts, and wouldn't land on the streets. It meant that we had a serious chance for a fresh start, and with the bronze from the smeary weirdo, I might even have enough material to get my Sentinel operable enough to move it. I still had no fucking clue how to ship it off, but that was something I'd deal with later. Couldn't just box it and send it off per post, after all. Heh.

And yet…

As I ran through the waking city, happy and confident, a deeper part of myself kept whispering silent words into my ear. My problems were still far from solved, after all, and perhaps all of this just meant that the next blow against my life was just waiting around the corner.

Last edited:
Good stuff. The end of some things and the beginning of others.
John is adorable, though I do wonder of the implications of his 'girlfriend' comment. Was there actually someone else there, or was her alter ego that clever of a liar? I'll have to backtrack and refresh myself with exactly what happened with Crucify.

Good stuff. The end of some things and the beginning of others.
John is adorable, though I do wonder of the implications of his 'girlfriend' comment. Was there actually someone else there, or was her alter ego that clever of a liar? I'll have to backtrack and refresh myself with exactly what happened with Crucify.

Thank you! :)

Yeah, the chapter took much longer than it should, and I am sorry for that. I can't say that I am too happy about the Headhunter interlude. It feels a bit clumsy, so I might come back to it and try to rework it after I am done with the first arc. It does its job at least, I guess.

Book 1: Chapter 12
Thursday, 09. December 2010

Thankfully, my morning run was smooth and uneventful. When I finally returned to the small suburban house and stepped through the front door and into the cluttered hallway, the wafting smell of fresh pancakes greeted my nose.

The Pembroke's house was a painful mirror of the one I'd grown up in, not helped by the fact that it was an exact copy of my house from the front porch down to the interior layout. Everywhere around me, I was greeted by familiar things; the short hallway ending in a door leading toward the kitchen, with stairs leading up on the right, and an opening in the wall to the left letting me see into the cramped but cozy living room.

But unlike what my mind tried to tell me, there were no scuffed edges and scratched floorboards, no subtly flaking paint covering the outside walls, or rotting porch steps you had to jump over if you didn't want to fall and trip. Everything here was in much better shape than ours – cared for, for the lack of a better word – and clean and maintained. Homely, with photos, paintings, and the self-made crocheted doilies Martha loved so much littered on every surface, and a soft carpet swallowing my feet when I kicked off my shoes.

It made me jealous, and I hated myself for being so pathetic about something like this.

"Taylor, is that you?" Martha's voice drifted from the kitchen. I grunted in response. Then, when I realized that she probably couldn't hear me over the noise of the kitchen and with my fucked up voice, I thumped my fist against the wall.

"Yeah," I croaked, awkwardly pulling my electrolarynx from my pocket. Then, I said louder: "Brought some stuff."

I clicked my tongue in annoyance. Speaking was such a fucking bother these days, especially when the only fucking arm I had was occupied with carrying a bag.

"Oh? Give me a second," her words were accompanied by the clatter of cupboards, and kitchen utensils. "How was your run?"

"Good," I replied. So elaborate these days, oh my.

I indignantly ignored my brain's little quip.

My "nanny" poked her head out of the door leading toward the kitchen, and her hearty face brightened when she saw me. I shot her a crooked smile, presenting her the large bouquet I'd grabbed on my way home. I had to briefly deposit it on the nearby cupboard to go for my electrolarynx, and some of the petals had fallen off, setting a stark contrast to the white of the pristine doily.

"Thanks for having me," I wanted to say. I couldn't, of course, and I fought down another frustrated tsk, coupled with boiling the desire to just unleash my power and fix this crapped part of my existence. At least none of it showed on my face, I thought because Martha reached out and excitedly grabbed the flowers and bag from my hand.

"Oh, they are beautiful," she exclaimed, her face breaking into a massive smile. "Taylor, you really didn't have to!"

I shrugged awkwardly and brought the electrolarynx to my throat. "Thanks for having me," I finally murmured, unable to fight down the embarrassed blush heating my cheeks.

"Oh, Taylor! You know, you and Danny are always welcome here. After everything we've been through," Martha smiled. "It's a shame that Kurt and Lacey weren't able to help out, but you'll always have a place under our roof. I hope you know that. Both of you."

Another voice spoke up. "Think nothing about it, lass. People are so happy to forget it, but we're Dockworkers once and for all. It used to mean something, you know?" Geoff grumbled from the side. He stood in the opening toward the living room, a steaming cup of coffee in hand. "Danny lost a lot of respect when he decided to go, you know, but still. We grew up together, and he was always there for us. For years. Ever since this city went down the drain."

He shook his head. "S'the least we can do."

"Thanks," I said, offering them a smile. I didn't know what else to say.

Even though I'd never had much of a relationship with them, the Pembrokes were old friends of our family. They'd attended the same high school as Dad, and like Kurt and Lacy, had been around for every step of my life. They were Dockworkers through and through, even though the years and a sedentary lifestyle had graced them with more weight on their frames than was healthy.

Unlike many others, they'd decided to stay after the dissolution of the DWA. They'd put their trust in Estrella, and after everything I'd heard about them from the news and media, I couldn't find it in me to blame them. The fancy new company was drawing a very positive image these days – they wanted to change something in the Bay – and as far as corporations went, they seemed to have a good track record when it came to public works.

"There's a new toy for the kid in the bag. Stepped on one when I got up," I pointed at the bag in Martha's hand when I felt like the awkward moment dragged on a bit too long, followed by a helpless shrug. My cheeks started to burn again, and a muted stab of annoyance surged through me at the words. "It was dark and I was tired. Sorry."

"Oh, it's ok. I am sure he'll love it," Martha waved me off. "Why don't you get ready for breakfast? Pancakes are ready in a second."

I shot her a grateful smile, and she hurried back into the kitchen, taking my gifts with her. Geoff stayed behind, watching me over his cup with a neutral expression while I struggled to get out of my jacket. For a moment I thought I saw something move across his face, but he knew better than to offer me help.

I didn't bother to pay attention to him either way and then my field of vision was already drowned by fabric while I carefully forced my jacket over my head. I tried not to flash anything, not that I actually cared if he saw anything, but this wasn't home.

Geoff hadn't averted his gaze when my head surfaced again, but I didn't care if he'd checked me out either. Or at least, that's what I'd thought he was doing until I caught the flash of fucking pity and disapproval in his eyes.

Urgh, what is it now? I bundled my jacket, before throwing it onto the staircase. Then, I reached up and pulled the hem of my sweatshirt back to safe waters. I tried not to let my annoyance show as I pushed past him and through the living room, ignoring the nonsensical babble of the TV in the background.

I caught Geoff shaking his head from the corner of my eyes before he followed me. He muttered something under his breath, and I nearly turned around and smashed my fist in his face when the words drifted into my ear: "You should really go easy on the weights, lass. A girl shouldn't look like that."

Oh? I pretended I didn't hear his words, biting back my scathing remark, and keeping my expression schooled as I continued toward the kitchen. Well, maybe you should cut back on the fucking burgers. Then you wouldn't have so many issues to squeeze your fucking conservative gut behind the steering wheel, you fat, lazy pig.

Bastard, I internally growled, but my temper cooled as quickly as it had erupted. I didn't hate Geoff, not really. He was a nice guy and a caring man, and I'd known him long enough that I was reasonably sure that he didn't mean to be an ass. But he was an old-fashioned man, as far as I'd gathered. It chipped through here and there, minor things and off-hand remarks. I liked him to a reasonable degree, I guessed, sure, but did that mean that I was eating up his conservative shit? Not now, not fucking ever.

But for Dad's sake, I avoided speaking up against it. I didn't want to be here, sure enough, but the Pembrokes had been nice to me. They had taken me in and treated me like part of the family, not just some outsider that they were socially obligated to help out.

Of course, the Taylor they knew from the past was long dead thanks to fucking Winslow. Yet, I could tell that despite this, they genuinely tried their best to treat me like a normal person instead of drowning me in layers of cotton and pity. I appreciated that more than anything. Did it mean that I felt bad about my internal emotional outburst, though?

Heh, no.

Still, I was angered too quickly these days, and this wasn't the place or time to stir up senseless conflict. So, I decided to swallow down everything that bothered me again and sat down in my designated spot at the small kitchen table. It had a proper tablecloth, of course, something that neither I nor Dad had bothered with for years.

Another sting I just had to ignore.

It didn't take long for the family to gather around the table; Geoff, the kid, and finally Martha bringing in a huge stack of sandwiches, bacon, and pancakes dripping with maple syrup, along with beer for Geoff, orange juice for me, and milk for the kid. The meal was quite a feast, and I shamelessly dug in. It wasn't like I really had to watch for my weight anymore or shit like that.

Seriously, no wonder they're so fat, my mind happily supplied. I couldn't disagree. Martha was a fantastic cook.

"Hey Martha, darling?" Geoff said over his newspaper.

"Yes, teddy bear?"

I cringed at the nickname. Martha must have noticed because she shot me a mirthful grin when she looked up from her plate.

"They got her, fucking finally-"

"Language, darling!"

"-sorry, Peach," Geoff said, putting down the newspaper. He turned to look at the kid, who was happily playing with his new toy car, racing over the tablecloth on invisible roads, and dodging towering plates and glasses. I found it mildly surprising that he hadn't knocked anything down yet.

"John," he said in a stern voice that left no room for discussion. "Your mom and I need to talk. Go upstairs and pack your school things. We need to drive in ten minutes."

Something stirred in me, and I leaned closer in to look at the headline. It took me two tries to decipher the words upside-down, but I only got as far as "A Butcher's End" before Geoff yanked the newspaper away from the kid's prying eyes… and right into the reach of my fingers. I sized it without hesitation, following the aching stab of worry suddenly spreading inside me.

I ignored their funny looks as I stood up, leaning against a wall to read the article in peace.

Brockton Herald

A Butcher's End – Is Brockton's scourge finally history?

The cape known as Cruficy, Brockton's first serial killer in over two hundred years has been officially declared dead by local PRT and Police offices. According to an official statement issued by Director Piggot of the PRT ENE, the elusive cape, suspected by many to be an imitator of famous Parahuman killer groups like the Slaughterhouse 9 and the Flayers, has met their end at the hands of Kaiser himself in a drawn-out fight between the ABB and Empire last night. Casualty numbers have yet to be determined, official PRT speaker Jessie Allison tells the Herald, but she seemed less concerned about the rising property damage than the threat of a new rise of hostilities between the ABB and the Empire…

"Huh," I said. I… hadn't expected that.

"Yeah," Geoff scoffed. "The wrong guys, sure, but they got her. I'm not sorry about it. Talk about a deserved fate."

"What happened, Geoff?" Martha asked, confused.

"Crucify got offed," I explained. "Cape fight. Yesterday. Got personally executed by Kaiser. " Psycho bitch. Fuck her, I mentally added.

I could feel a wide grin splitting my face, tugging at the paralyzed sections of my left cheek. Those were fucking good news! First the lawsuit, and now the psycho bitch messing up my plans. Both of them had pretty much vaporized overnight, and that… that was fucking awesome. I couldn't believe it! Was someone running around and cleaning up messes for me?

… or was this just another ploy by the world to let me drop my guard and then fuck me over like it had happened so many times with Emma?

After everything I'd been through, this was just too good to be true, wasn't it?

I bumped into the kid when I left my room – or his, given that it technically was a kids' room, and I was just a guest here – with my duffle bag slung over my shoulder, ready to leave. Dad would be back soon, and while the last three days with my guest family hadn't been nearly as horrible as I'd feared they would, I honestly just wanted to get the fuck away from here.

John was still in grade school. He was several heads smaller than I was, and even though he already showed signs of following his parents regarding body shape, he was still frail as a stick for the most part.

"Careful," I said, internally cussing. I'd nearly plowed him into the railing.

"You're leaving us?" He asked. I had to suppress the sudden urge to pat his head.

"Yeah. Dad's home again. You can have your room back," I said. Then, after an awkward pause, I added: "Sorry for breaking your toy."

"It's fine. Mom says I should thank you for the gift. Thank you."

"It's fine," I waved him off. "But you know, you really shouldn't leave your stuff lying around where your parents could trip on it."

The kid actually shot me a sly smirk at that, framed by his brown mop of shaggy hair. "Nuh-uh, I did it to protect you!" He exclaimed.

What…?

"Mom says the police guys protect us from the baddies, so I should always be nice to them. She also says that it's ok to be scared sometimes!" The kid paused for a moment. He looked around, his voice falling down to a whisper. "The monsters at night. I could hear them scare you. They scare me too, but… I-I thought the police could protect you from the monsters so you don't have to cry at night."

And that's why you placed a police toy car right in front of the door? I wanted to demand, but…

But it was kinda sweet, wasn't it? I hesitated for a moment, knelt, and finally reached out and gave John a soft hug. Thanks, little man. I didn't know how to deal with little kids – didn't want to deal with them, frankly – but this naive… kindness took me by surprise.

"Thanks," I finally murmured.

"It's ok," John smiled. I could hear Geoff call from downstairs, and the boy grabbed his backpack and turned to leave. "Bye, Taylor," he said. "I hope you come over again. You're cool!"

Thanks, I smiled. I doubt I'll be back, though.

And it was probably for the better, wasn't it? The Pembrokes were normal. As normal as could be, and I… wasn't.

"Bye," I said. I could hear Geoff call for John a second time, sounding impatient.

"Don't worry," John crowed, shooting me the 10-year-old equivalent of a sly wink. "I promised your girlfriend to keep her secret! Chiao."

I… what? I was frozen for a moment, caught between wanting to grab him and demand answers and knowing that would be a bad idea, but the boy was already darting down the stairs, and by the time I made my way down, I had already disappeared through the front door. Kids… I shrugged it off. Whatever he'd meant by that, it wasn't worth dwelling on. For all I knew, he'd just assumed that I had a girlfriend because I was muscular, and in his underdeveloped brain, that meant I was dating a girl.

I wish I had a girlfriend though, or a boyfriend, I thought wistfully as I went to search for Martha. Or anyone, really…

I quickly said my obligatory goodbyes and stepped onto the road. The sun was shining, framed by a spotless blue sky. Rays of sunshine glittered on piles of pristine snow covering the roofs and yards around me, and I couldn't help but smile.

The urge to take into the sky and fly home was overwhelming, but despite my near-euphoric mood, I didn't risk it and simply walked to the next bus station, humming a random little happy tune. I felt good, and hopeful, like a big weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

No more serial killers. No more lawyers and legal bills and the threat of becoming destitute.

Of course, a cynical part of myself had to remind me that we were still far from having all of our problems solved. The move would be challenging even with the medical bills sorted, and we were still piss-poor compared to other people. But, at least there was hope now.

Dad was already waiting for me, sitting on the steps of our house. I ran right into his hug, and for a while we just stood there, laughing.

"We made it, little owl," he said. There was a stab of pain in my gut, but I also felt a kind of swelling wave of relief. We were here, we were together, and even if our family wasn't complete, we had each other.

"Yeah," I croaked. I hesitated.

"You should do it."

I…

I took a deep breath and slowly pulled free of the hug. There were tears in Dad's eyes, but for the first time in a long while, I saw him smile. Not the small, distracted smiles I knew from him. Not the shallow and superficial ones he gave so often these days, deeply laced with crystalized grief.

He smiled like in the photos with Mom, during their wedding. Bright, and wide, with eyes glowing, and grooves in his gaunt face, full of warmth.

Maybe we should tell Mom. I knew it would take a lot of effort to say those words, but I managed to get them out.

The iron-wrought gate creaked open on its hinges, and I found myself reaching for Dad's arm as we made our way down the paved roads lined by rows upon rows of tombstones. The graveyard was almost empty; there was a couple near one edge of the cemetery with a handful of flowers, and an older man in a business suit sitting on a grave marker. As we passed by him, his eyes met mine, but I quickly looked away. Weird, but none of my business. Any thoughts of the man were chased from my mind when I felt a tremble run down Dad's arm.

It was like the memories of this place had been buried along with the dead, and now they were coming back to the surface. With every step, images flooded my mind; Dad's ashen face when we stumbled after the procession carrying Mom, trembling with every step and refusing to touch me. The scent of Emma's perfume when I buried my face into the collar of her laced mourning dress to cry, because Dad pulled away whenever I'd tried to hug him.

I'd been too confused to understand what was going on back then. And now…

Eh, what was there left to be said? At least I could hug Dad now. I could tell he tried to put up a strong front for me like he always did, but the occasional tremble and the increased pace of his heart betrayed him.

There was a reason we so rarely came here, and even now, now that I was strong, every step hurt in a way that I knew no wound could ever do. Still, we kept on until we finally stood in front of a familiar tombstone.

Mom.

It was a humble grave, with a simple tombstone surrounded by grass. Everything was covered in a fine layer of snow. I idly bent down to wipe it from the tombstone. The rock was icy beneath my fingertips. I gulped when I unearthed the unadorned engraving, but I forced myself to smile for her.

Annette Rose Hebert
1969-2008
She taught something precious to each of us.

It had been three years. Just three fucking years, and yet, it already felt like an eternity. I missed her so much – I'd have given f- fricking everything to see her again, speak to her again – to the point that it always caught me off-guard when I thought about her.

What would she say about us, now? Yeah… honestly, no. I really didn't want to think about that. But I could imagine her there. My mom, standing in front of me, a physical presence. All of her gentleness and warmth. Her silent, quiet disapproval. Her brilliance, which she couldn't share with me right now. She'd know the answers to all my – our problems, I just knew it.

She'd be happy to hear about this at least, I knew. I stood and reached for Dad's hand, squeezing it hard.

Hey Mom, I said to her, smiling. I didn't speak, but I hoped she'd still hear me nonetheless. Something trickled down my cheek, and I realized that it was tears. We've got a future again.

Many thanks to Fwee for the Fweedback. Had a bit of a mental slouch, and some stress with university, finals and whatever, so I feel pretty bad for the long break. The next chapter shouldn't take 6 months to publish.

Last edited:
The costume design is excellent. A little worrying with all the black and red (though I don't quite recall how prominent the Empire is in this AU) but a very neat design nontheless.

The "intrusive thoughts" seem especially prevalent this chapter. Much more so than I recall them being previously. I wonder if something has changed (possibly as a result of the recent dream bar visits).

Looking forward to more!

The Boston Setting (Beware Spoilers)
So, CSVT (=this lovely story here) is shamelessly based on the Comprehensive Guide to Boston, an extensive sandbox setting project published by... myself, actually. Since it's out and available to the public now, I figured I'd share it here as well. This is the core setting of course, which is not specifically tailored to this story here. Still, beware of many, many world and character spoilers, I guess?

Book 1: Chapter 13
Repost of the previous chapter. Nothing to worry about. Just reorganizing and reformatting my story thread a little.

Tuesday, 14. December 2010

The last days had passed in a blur. The fact that we had actually won the lawsuit meant that things were getting serious, and it had kicked off a frenzy in the Hebert household that hadn't been seen in years. It seemed to be good for Dad too, I thought. I hadn't seen him proactive like this in a long time, and frankly, it was nice.

The assorted mix of stress, paperwork, and moving boxes on the other hand… wasn't. So when the phone in my pocket suddenly started vibrating, I was almost happy. I carefully put down the box I was carrying onto the back of Dad's old truck, elbowed it into place, and fished my phone out.

I frowned at the unknown number on the display. It was barely noon. Who was calling me? Who had my number? The caller didn't have a local area code, which increased the odds of it being a telemarketer, but I was just too curious to hang up the call. Getting called on a cell phone was a novelty to me, as dumb as it sounded, and I kind of wanted the experience, even if I'd be hanging up right away.

I brought the phone to my ear. "Yeah?" Dad had bought me a brand new electrolarynx to celebrate our win, now sitting like a choker around my neck instead of the old one which had been a handheld device that was more of a bother than anything else.

"Miss Songbird?" A female voice spoke into my ear. I didn't recognize it.

"Lesson for me. That's what you get for mixing work and personal life," my subconsciousness cackled at me.

"Yeah, I really gotta get a secondary work phone."

"Shut up!"

"Who is this? And how did you get my number?" I demanded, twitching at the sudden barrage of jarring thoughts my mind decided to throw at me to really hammer the point home. Holy fuck, And I almost introduced myself by name.

"Andrea Shen," the woman on my private phone replied. "We met before. I work for Mr. Carson. You sound a bit distressed. Is everything alright?"

"Yes," I rankled in annoyance at my blunder, quickly glancing around to ensure I had no eavesdroppers before sitting on the ledge of the truck bed. Just one week into my promising mercenary career, and I'd already nearly casually unmasked myself. A bullet dodged by a fraction of a second. What a rookie mistake.

I really didn't want to elaborate, but in the end, the desire to portray some sense of professionalism won, and I forced myself to add: "I just didn't expect the call. What do you want?"

She probably wants to lay you off. Found a better substitute. The thought came unbidden, like a worm gnawing into my confidence, leaving a part of me hollow and aching. Get yourself together, Taylor, I reprimanded myself. But then again, would it be surprising? Who'd want someone like me anyway?

I mean, just look at it. He doesn't even bother to tell you himself. Just sends his secretary like you're some meaningless office whore. I clenched my fist. Another unbidden thought. Another undeniability. I swallowed, but the bitter taste on my tongue refused to go away.

"Hey little worm," Emma's shadow suddenly whispered into my ear, and I could smell her saccharine smile even without having to see it. I could almost see her beautiful red tresses and the elegant curve of her delicate neck as she craned it to look down at me. I could almost feel her lips moving as the words drifted into my ear, and the soft warmth of her breath and body as she pressed herself against my back and wrapped her slender arms around me from behind in a lover's embrace.

Like crimson chains binding me, making me nothing but helpless prey in a spider's web. I wasn't prey, wasn't helpless. But I couldn't deny that some perverse part of me languished in the feeling, made it hard to fight it.

My eyes burned, and had to stop myself from lashing out. I wanted to, so badly. A punch, a kick, anything to make me feel better. Destroy something, hurt someone… it didn't matter as long as it stopped me from feeling so utterly pathetic as I did right now.

"Are you so desperate to get back to your mommy…" Emma whispered into my ear "... that you get sad that you can't play in the dirt where you belong? Are you really so desperate, little Taylor?"

I blinked, then closed my eyes as I took a deep breath to try and center myself. Fuck. I suppressed the urge to curl in on myself right where I sat and tried to focus on other things; the sun on my face, the cardboard wall against my back, and the sting of cold air in my lungs.

It took me a moment to regain my composure, and for a while, I just sat there, breathing, back slumped against the stack of boxes behind me, brooding. There was a muted warmth in me, like a sense of kinship and approval, and I clung to it like a lifeline.

Eventually, after the urges in me had cooled down, I sighed, opening my eyes again and staring down at the now-dark phone next to me. I'd pressed the call away at some point, dropping the phone so I didn't crush both the phone and my fledgling reputation. What did that say about me and my priorities?

I sighed again, looking around while I fought to keep my composure. Dad was still indoors, and the neighborhood was empty except for a young punk lady on the other side of the road. She was loitering around one of our neighbor's yards, far enough away, and severely underdressed for the winter. I thought I caught her looking my way now and then, but I couldn't bring myself to care what she was doing.

I carefully picked up my phone, angling it to catch my reflection. For the blink of an eye, I thought Emma stared back at me again before her face shifted to the familiar ruined mug that was my face; the green hurting eyes, pale ashen skin, and tight trembling lips I wouldn't been able to hide from Dad if he decided to poke his head out of the window.

This Emma wasn't real, I knew that. Just a fucked up manifestation of my fucking trauma…

"But am I really?" Emma whispered into my ear. "I just want what you want."

… of my fucking PTSD. And no matter what I did – no matter how much fucking therapy I received – I just couldn't get rid of her. Why do I have to be so pathetic, I thought bitterly. Would she haunt me for the rest of my life, or would I be able to leave her behind… if only when I finally set foot out of this god-forsaken city?

"Or maybe I should just kill her. Blow her head across a wall. She'd deserve it."

Another unbidden thought whispered in the depth of my mind, and it kept reverberating. It was enticing. I hadn't seen the bitch since the day she…

I- I… didn't remember. Didn't remember what she and her freaks had done to me that day in June. Only fragments were left; her gloating face before she slammed a door into my face, darkness, and…and… and heat.

I shuddered at the very thought. No, no, no fuck Emma Barnes. She had destroyed me. I knew where she lived now. I knew the location of her detention center and had traced the lines to it on the map over and over again during restless nights. I knew how to get there…

…and what would stop me from masking up, and paying her a little visit?

What would stop me from paying her disgusting family a visit?

No! I took a deep breath, trying to stifle it at the same time. No, I wanted to hurt Emma, not them

Lies.

…and not like this. I was better than this. I had to be.

It took me several more minutes before I dared to pick up my phone again. Dad was still in his room, the neighbors were mostly gone at work or at least a safe distance away from me, and when I shot a glance toward the punk lady from before, she was gone without a trace. Thankfully, Andrea hadn't hidden her number when she called me, so it was easy to just do a return call.

She picked up immediately.

"Hello?"

"Songbird here," I said awkwardly. It felt weird to introduce me like this. Like I was doing some cringy play pretend roleplay thing younger kids liked to do. "I was… at work, sorry. What is the problem?"

"Ah yes," Andrea replied nonplussed. "Right, sorry. It's fine. I forget that you capes actually have a normal life. Do you have time today? We must meet."

"Yes," I replied. "When? Why?"

"In an hour? She must have heard my startled cough because Andrea quickly continued. "Uhm, yeah, well, it's important for the m- er, the event on Friday, and it's important that we do this during daylight. Oh, and please bring whatever equipment you have."

"Understood," I replied. "Where do we meet?"

"The warehouse," Andrea replied. "You'll be able to find your way back there?"

"Yes."

"Good. Take the door this time, please."

"Ok," I replied, indignantly ignoring the little jab. "I'll be there in 2 hours."

I hung up and made my way into the house. Since Dad was home I needed to find a good excuse to eject myself from 'mission: moving out.' I felt bad for leaving him alone, but this… this was important, and I figured that he'd be fine without my help for a little bit.

I made sure to knock before I entered his room, even though I didn't really need permission to come in.

I had to remember to keep down all the little habits and mannerisms I'd seemingly picked up in the past months that unsettled him; the way I sometimes moved and held myself, or that I always knew where he was. They all came naturally to me by now, and that made playing the 'normal' Taylor much harder and tedious.

"Dad?" I made sure to call out before I opened the door. I knew where he was, of course, by the desk, but I still made sure to peer properly.

"Taylor?" He said, looking up from the box he was going through. It was the box with Mom's things, and the sight sent an aching stab through my heart, but I forced myself to smile. "Hey, what's up?"

"Would it be ok if I went out for a while?" I asked, allowing some of my anxiety to show. "I want to hang out with some friends, and… say goodbye, you know?"

I wasn't sure if the befuddled "wait-you-have-friends?"- look on Dad's face was real or just a bad parent joke.

Shortly after lunchtime, I found myself nearing the warehouse, fully decked out and ready for war. Clients or not, I wasn't taking any risks… especially not in broad daylight. That, and I didn't know what was expected of me. The gala was still a few days away, and I was unsure what to make of Andrea's cryptic statement about "gathering publicity". Was I supposed to fight some villains, or sign autographs on the boardwalk? Fuck did I know, so why not prepare for both?

Given how I'd neglected the topic in the past months, I'd put a lot of work and thought into my costume in the past few days while I was stuck at home.

Ever since he was back, Dad had been active until well past midnight on most days, leaving me stuck in my room. So, I'd used the time to sketch and research, and the final product was… a sight to see – I could admit that without shame – but unfortunately it also meant that I couldn't just quickly slip into it in a back alley or change out of it on a whim.

The design for "Kaleidoscope the Gala Merc and Hero for Corporate Interest™" (I'd decided to scratch the Songbird idea again.) for the gala was pretty elaborate, and most importantly – thanks to several stress tests with one of my new handguns – bolter-proof from every fucking angle except for a frontal headshot into my reinforced forehead. It was also the epitome of dress to impress, which was frankly a rather alien thought for me given my history.

It started on my body, with thin flakes of glass dust and tiny shards plastered onto my bare skin to conceal every single scar and blemish of my body behind glittering lines and patterns. This was the most time-consuming process of masking up, taking almost an entire hour and three big mirrors until everything sat, worked, and actually ended up looking good instead of being a clumpy mess of… something… on my skin.

Then, I'd put on my trusty red-and-black bodysuit, glued to every crook and crevice of my body to show off my curves and muscles, and with a high collar that flattered my neck. Since the left sleeve had been irreparably damaged during the alley ambush with Greasecan, and because I was currently lacking the funds to buy another one, I'd modified it into a one-sleeved design that covered my organic arm but left the other one free. I actually found it to be more convenient that way as well, which was a nice discovery.

Depending on whether I was gunning for "seductive/sexy" (heh, what a joke) or safety, and together with all the other gear I had secretly tucked away – utility belt, backup knife, backup bolter handgun, my cybernetic war tail disguised as a second belt, zip ties, and the medipack for emergencies – I could include a full set of sleek but heavyweight armor panels spray-painted in red and black.

It was made from thin sheets of pure Tinker bronze reinforced with sand pockets for kinetic absorption, and designed to accentuate my body and sensibly give me a bit of a bust so that I'd never ever ever ever be mistaken for a guy again. Barring the armored gauntlets, the rest would be covered by the last layer of my costume; the dress.

The dress was the true masterpiece of my creation, a beautiful and elegant fusion of dark metal and colored glass scales with a high collar and a tight fit, as well as a daring slit showing off one of my armored legs. I was by no means the master of fashion design, but I thought it looked cool and perhaps even sexy, and the wave of approval my subconsciousness had blasted at me when I'd checked myself in the mirror had done quite a lot to improve my mood.

I hadn't decided to make any big changes to the face mask itself, though I had done the remains of my hair into a proper hairstyle with braids and added some sensible metal and glass decorations.

I'd even made sure to properly put everything together so I didn't have to maintain my costume with my song, and so it wouldn't immediately fall apart when someone decided to kick me through a few walls. Despite all the show-off and glimmer, it was a proper and sturdy costume and would do me as well in a social battlefield as it would in a cape fight.

Hopefully. In theory.

The only exception to this was the glass arm currently replacing my claw cybernetic, which I'd intentionally designed as a loose compound so I could do stuff like party tricks, and god did something deep in me rankle at the mere thought of doing fucking party tricks for gawkers like a circus clown.

Of course, even though I'd decided to do without my shattered angel wings for now, this all meant that I still wasn't exactly subtle. By no means actually, but lurking through alleys and backyards while being huddled away in a big parka like an exhibitionist stalking the parks seemed to do the trick. No one was following me, or shooting me more than cursory glances as I strode past them.

And yet…

I couldn't shake it, this occasional feeling, this hunch, this gut feeling that popped up every now and then ever since I'd left my workshop. I'm being watched, I thought, but I wasn't. I just fucking wasn't. I knew it, despite what my instincts tried to tell me, and it started to make me nervous and irritated. I saw everyone with my bloodsight and felt everything with my song. And there just was no one nearby.

Neither machine nor beast of flesh and blood at least, which meant that it had to be just another manifestation of my fucking paranoia.

Thankfully, the closer I got to Carson's warehouse, the less prominent the feeling became. When I finally stepped up to the side door after discarding my disguises, the feeling had long faded away. I made sure to scout the building, which was empty except for one crimson humanoid shape, before I pressed the filthy doorbell and glared directly at the modern camera glowering down at me from its admittedly pretty devious hiding spot. Tan Securities, based on the stylized imprint; and a very modern one if I wasn't wrong. Idle inspection of the wall rewarded me with a biometric fingerprint scanner, hidden next to the rusty door steel door behind a shabby plastic latch that very much fit in with the destitute facade covered in grime.

A sham, and a good one, but I knew that already. I'd been here before, after all, and given this shithole of a city and especially this area, I couldn't exactly blame them for being cautious.

The door buzzed open, and I stepped into the building. The inside was still exactly how I remembered, a complete contrast to the outside; clean, modern, well-lit and maintained, and still gapingly empty for a depot of this size. The crates had disappeared, and a single black van was parked in a corner. The place was surprisingly well-heated.

The elaborate skylight I'd crafted as a replacement for the one I'd crashed through during my first visit had disappeared too and was currently covered by a translucent tarp. One of those things you found on construction sites.

A woman stepped out of the small adjacent security office and I recognized her as the female bodyguard who had been with Carson during our first meeting. She was an unassuming woman of Asian descent, perhaps in her late twenties or early thirties, a bit smaller than me, and clearly fit.

Not nearly as fit as I was, of course.

There was something soldier-like about her: I could tell that from the way she moved and held herself, and looked at the world around her, and I didn't know how I knew this. The effect was somewhat mitigated by the sleek tablet in her fingers and the stylish – almost nerdy – gold-rimmed glasses on her small nose, framed by short black hair. She was dressed in a semi-professional manner, with formfitting jeans and a blazer.

"Miss Shen?" I asked, offering my hand for a shake, and deactivating my blood sight.

"Hi," she smiled at me, waving away my outstretched hand. "No need for this Missy stuff when the boss isn't here. Just call me Andrea or Andie, if you want. Songbird, right?"

"Kaleidoscope," I corrected her.

"Hm," she scrutinized me for a moment, before shrugging. "Yeah, I can see your reasoning. Juggling too many identities can be hard, I bet, and with Kal you already have something of an established base."

"Yeah," I said tersely. "You didn't like the window?" I hoped the voice modulator masked the hurt in my voice.

"Uhm," Andrea paused. Eventually, she shrugged. "Oh! No, no… it was very pretty, but the boss wanted to sell it. Said it would make good money."

I managed to swallow my anger.

"You look really amazing. The boss is going to like this," Andrea said, snickering, before pulling up her tablet and murmuring something to herself. She started to rapidly type away, and I couldn't help but find the way her glasses threatened to slip from her nose as she peered at the screen with furrowed brow oddly… nerdy.

And cute. Very cute.

"So, what now?" I finally asked. "What do you want me to do?"

"Ah, yes," Andrea said. "First, can I take some photos of you? For the Boss. He's back in Boston, and I'd like to update him on your new costume."

"Sure," I murmured.

"Thanks," Andrea said, leveling the tablet at me, followed by a click and the flash of a camera. She shot a few photos of me, one from every angle. It was embarrassing and more than I was comfortable with, but I weathered through it. It was just a few photos, right?

She led me to the furnished corner of the warehouse afterward, gesturing for me to sit down. I carefully did so, trying not to accidentally scratch one of the cream-colored leather couches.

"So, first, can I offer you anything to drink or to eat?"

I declined with a shake of my head.

"OK, so first, we are going to do a quick briefing for Friday, so you don't embarrass yourself or our company. This will be your first proper outing as well, right? You probably know the basic things about reputation, style, and how important your debut will be for your career, yes?"

I nodded wordlessly. Of course, Kal was already known, if just as a minor entity. But this… it would be a power move. Like one of those cliche moments in teenage dramas when the unassuming nerd girl was suddenly transformed into a gorgeous queen for the homecoming ball. Or in my case, a humble teenage art peddler revealing themselves in their full glory and might in front of the entire crème de la crème of Brockton Bay.

It would be a show for the ages, a wet PR dream for every aspiring Cape… and frankly? As cool as the thought was in theory and as much as I longed to prove myself, I utterly dreaded it – dreaded to put myself into the limelight like this. Just thinking about how this could backfire made me shiver.

But I had to do it. There was no pulling back now.

"Good," Andrea smiled at me. "So first, what can you do?"

"You mean my powers?"

"Yes, please. Just so I know what we can work with."

I pondered on what to say for a moment because no way in hell could I tell her or anyone the truth. "Large-scale telekinesis, I finally said. And I can merge stuff together. Stone, metal, glass. I use that to make my art pieces. My telekinesis works best on materials like sand and glass, but I can lift many things if they are not too heavy. Stones, pieces of concrete, and sometimes even metal bits. I do not know why."

"Oh, we can work with that!" Andrea exclaimed and started jotting down notes on her tablet.

"Work with what?" I frowned.

"Well, the boss thought it would be wise to get some public clout for you. We still have a few days till the gala, and there isn't much stuff about you online yet, right?"

I nodded. I'd checked the web for info regarding myself regularly, especially after the fuck-up with Greasecan. My first combat encounter as a cape, which had brought me together with these guys here. It was a miracle, in a way. I'd charged like a rabid dog after Greasecan, stalked him through half the city in broad daylight, and yet the only media presence that had brought me was a blurry smartphone video recorded from a driving car and a few pages of forum speculation.

"Why though?" I asked. I thought I just needed to look pretty?

Andrea seemed to take that as her clue and turned towards one of the big flatscreens on the wall. I couldn't help but feel a surge of disbelief as she pulled up a professional-looking PowerPoint presentation. A stylized star gazed down at me, and I recognized it as the Estrella logo.

I didn't manage to stifle my groan. Like in fucking high school.

For the first time, Andrea's composure cracked. She stared at me, her eye twitching, and I could tell that she just barely managed to keep her expression together. A thought began rising in me at the sight, a subtle whisper interlaced with a surge of mild amusement and… melancholy? I wasn't sure where it came from.

"Ah, the classical I-just-spent-all-night-making-this-for-you-are-you-seriously-complaining?- intern stare. I really miss the office."

"Sorry," I murmured.

"Short version then?" She asked, giving me very unsubtle vibes of displeasure.

"Please."

"Okay, good," Andrea plopped down on the couch opposite of me, putting down her tablet on the table between us. "What do you know about Estrella?"

"Nothing much," I answered truthfully. "They host the gala."

"Well, yes, but what else do you know about them?"

I frowned, unsure where this was going, but after a moment, I decided to comply. This was really starting to feel like school, which was honestly not how I'd imagined this job to turn out. Whatever, I guess.

I spent a moment scrounging my head for details, and sort through everything I'd bothered to remember about Estrella.

"They are a newcomer from the west coast. San Francisco, I think," I finally said, speaking slowly. "Came in right after the Scar and the School fire happened. Like, a month or so before the DWA collapsed. They kept silent for a while, and then suddenly started blasting things about saving the Bay, and reopening the port. Lots of media presence, talk shows, and appeals for donations to fund their revitalization projects, and they are currently pretty much the star of everything. Their logo is a star too."

Until they fail like everyone else before and creep silently back where they came from, I added mentally. Old news, really. There had been so many attempts to dislodge the big ship blocking the ports in the last 10, 20 or so years. It was pretty telling just how much that had worked out, right?

"Good," Andrea said. "But too basic. Everyone who watches TV knows that. What do you know about them?"

"Well, they produce small stuff. Tools, gears, toys, laptops, sports gear, outdoor stuff," I paused. "The CEO is called Gabriella Vargas."

Of course, I didn't tell her that the only reason I knew all of this in the first place was because of a drunken three-hour rant marathon between some Dockworker friends of ours I'd been forced to witness during my "welcome home"- party after returning from the mental health clinic.

Andrea nodded, before shooting me a predatory smile. "Okay, so now, what does Estrella know about you?"

"Probably nothing?" I answered hesitantly. What was she getting at?

"Exactly, and we don't want that. It's a closed event, and the last thing we want is for the biggest people in this city to believe that an unknown cape is trying to crash the party and assassinate the local PRT director."

Yeah, ok, that makes a lot of sense, I thought. That wouldn't bode well for me at all.

"But it would be soo much more fun," a part of my brain snickered back at me. "Just imagine their faces when you show up there. The sheer gall required to do that… awesome!"

"So what do you propose then?" I asked. "Do you want me to fly around and do some community service while you film it and put it up on YouTube or what?"

Andrea grinned. "Oh, you know, that's an even better idea than what we had brainstormed beforehand. Let's go with that instead then."

No Fweedback this time, but many thanks to creativeProcrastinator and Minoke for beta-reading this chapter. So Tay can sense everything electronic-related around her... But what if some devious person has soundproof energy barriers around their tech? Tehehehe..

Book 1: Chapter 14

If I had to describe the contents of public sandboxes with one word, it would be 'concerning'. Very concerning. And I had loved playing in them so much as a kid. It had been the highlight of the week back then, but now, after more than two hours of sifting through the garbage piles of Brockton Bay's highest-quality collection of public recreation spaces, I started to doubt the wisdom of my parents. Or any parents for that matter.

The first three or so places I'd visited with Andrea hadn't been so bad. Small parks nestled away in the suburbs, barely the size of a house plot or so, and conveniently on the way to our big prey; Brockton Central Park. Sweeping the entire compounds had been quick work, which I'd discovered was something my power lent itself to surprisingly well.

The work was pretty simple: I'd wait until Andrea had set up her camera equipment, and when she gave me the sign, I'd do some circus nonsense to show off while lifting the entire sand out of the pit with my telekinesis. Then, I'd give it a few good shakes to clean it from grime and whatever else gunk was in there, do some deep cleaning by grinding the individual grains of sand against each other, and finally use it to sweep and sand off all the surfaces and play structures in the park. In the end, I was rewarded with a sparkling (and snow-free) playground and a big mass of pristine, gleaming sand I could then just dump back into the pits.

All in all, I'd pulled around two black trash bags full of minor junk out of the sand, now safely stowed in the back of our van and a part of me was itching to ask if Andrea would just dump them into the bay after we were done here. You'd expect that from some corporate pretenders, wouldn't you?

Of course, the fact that it was mid-December hadn't eluded me either, but whatever. It was quick and easy work, really, and the reaction from the few adults and even fewer kids around had been pretty good. We hadn't garnered much attention, and I'd been less than enthusiastic about the whole thing – and still wasn't – but honestly? As much as the nagging thought that why, just why I should lift a single fucking finger for a world that didn't care about me – for people who had abandoned me and done nothing to help me during my torment – rumbled through my skull, imagining that I was making a bunch of stupid little derps happy didn't feel that bad.

But now, that we were at our final destination for the day…

Residents said that Brockton Central Park was the oasis for every kid, student, and fledgling family in this lovely center of urban decay. It was by far the biggest park in the city, located in the Towers, and nestled in between the prominent hills that made up Brockton's nicest neighborhood.

It was here, among the massive play structures sponsored by Medhall, the huge sand pits for the kids, and the small lake surrounded by mighty oak trees, that I had made some of my most beautiful childhood memories back when I still had friends and a social life.

Mom had proposed to Dad here, at the shores of the lake beneath the biggest tree in the park. The mighty Allfather, then the leader of the Empire 88, had died here too, more than a decade ago, and I found it sad that his Empire had refused to die with him.

All in all, the park was a place laden with memories… and as it turned out, also an utter landfill.

Urgh, fucking disgusting, I thought at the sight of a brownish lump that had to be a used diaper covered in sand, resisting the urge to shiver in disgust. I sang to the cloud of sand around me, cooing it into the animated shape of a galloping unicorn, and sent it to chase around me to distract and awe the crowd watching me from a distance while I quickly dumped my spoil into a trashcan. Then, I went back to work.

Technically speaking, the central park was a rather well-maintained place, as sparkling and pristine as a public park could be. After all, it was the city's central hub and recreation space. Everyone came here, from a filthy rich CEO looking for a calm spot to read his newspaper during lunch break to the medical tourists flocking into the city, or the students from the nearby Arcadia High looking for a place to play football or soccer after classes had ended.

The grass was green, the paths free of cracks, and the trees and shrubs were always trimmed. And yet… It was obvious where the clean-up workers couldn't reach, since by now I'd found pretty much everything from broken bottles, bikes, and car debris on the bottom of the lake to used needles, refuse, or like I'd just discovered, fucking diapers hidden beneath the lower packed layers of sand at the bottom of the playground pits. I'd even unearthed a lump of… something that looked and sounded like a piece of Tinkertech.

Almost done, Taylor, I reminded myself at the sound of another camera click and an exclaimed "woah" echoing from somewhere at my left. My public service had drawn a lot of attention, and there was a small crowd watching me now from a distance, held in check by a pair of young policemen who looked like they didn't quite know what to do in a situation like this.

Andrea was currently talking to what seemed to be a news crew setting up some equipment, which meant that our little stunt was probably getting successful, and another subtle look confirmed that we were getting even more prominent visitors: a black and purple van rolled up in the distance, followed by an iconic motorcycle and a smaller shapes flying in the air; Armsmaster, accompanied by Kid Win. Great.

The work I was doing here was getting tedious – even with the thought in the back of my mind that I was doing this for a goal – and the crowd gaping at me like I was some kind of… celebrity posing for the cameras made me uncomfortable. I didn't like to stand in the limelight, sure enough. I'd never been an extroverted person, even before Emma and her animals bullied me to shatters. I'd always been shy, and this… I didn't know how to put it into words.

On the one hand – clashing with my aversion for attention – there was this stunted bit in me that was craving for approval. It shamed me just how desperate I was for that, and I knew it. There was no point in denying it. It wasn't all bad; it was what had driven me out of my hovel. It was why I was enjoying doing art even more so than the idea of being some flashy and popular superheroine. I was making pretty things, and people liked them.

But this kind of attention… ugh. Was this how the Wards felt on stage? Like a peacock trained for strutting around to draw looks and gawks from the mindless mob? At least no one had tried to touch or grope me yet. Blergh.

The thing that really got to me wasn't how it made me feel like an attention whore, something that I'd observed many times with my former fellow students who would throw themselves at the popular boys or chase after the latest fashion trends just to get people to look at them. No, it was the mortifying objectification that came with it, and I found that I despised it with every fiber of my being. Like I was some fucking exotic animal or pet instead of a person.

This was really more frustrating than I'd thought it would be.

I sighed, focussing back on work while watching the scene from the corner of my eyes. Sweep, clean, shake, and dump into a trashcan. Rinse and repeat. Almost done.

The van rolled closer, coming to a halt right outside of the gates. A pair of uniformed agents climbed out of the front, followed by an armored figure I immediately recognized as Gallant stepping out of the back. He was one of the local Wards, clad head to toe in a set of gunmetal gray power armor that thrummed back at me when I pinged it in a way only Tinkertech did. He was cutting a rather impressive figure, a mix of sci-fi knight and medieval aesthetic with armor plates that glowed in a techy way.

Kid Win touched down from the sky next, coming to a halt next to his partner, before smoothly jumping off his iconic hoverboard and sweeping it up with one arm. It was the cool-casual type of movement, like something you did for the cameras and had to train for hours in front of a mirror.

He was a pale boy with a mop of brown hair, and not looking particularly fit as far as I could tell. His gear, however, was a treat for the eyes; red and golden body armor, with a red visor hiding his identity. His armor emanated a subtle glow which faded when his feet hit the ground. When I pinged him with my sonar, I couldn't help but notice that his gear sounded very similar to that of Gallant. I didn't know what to make of that.

The two of them waited until Armsmaster caught up with them, before the trio entered the park, closely followed by the two agents.

"Three Tinkers," my mind whispered to me at the sight, a paranoid thought that snaked itself into my head. "They send three Tinkers to meet me. They're trying to figure me out. They must be onto something. Be careful."

I took a deep breath to center myself, sweeping the last play structure before I returned my current batch of sand to where it belonged, dismissed my telekinetic field, and turned around to properly acknowledge the newcomers.

I didn't manage to suppress the anxious feeling that began to spread in my gut.

I'd actually met the leader of the local Protectorate before, sure, but I wasn't sure he'd recognized me with how I'd upgraded my costume. He'd been one of the first heroes who'd approached my little stall on the boardwalk when I had set up shop almost a month ago, given me a comprehensive lecture on new cape survivability together with a full Wards pitch (three times) and he'd even commissioned a small mini-Armsmaster from me.

But in the present moment, as he was once again strutting toward me from a distance, clad in his distinct midnight blue armor, and together with all my paranoid and anxious thoughts deciding to come bubbling to the surface right fucking now, having Armsmaster of all people walking towards me was more than a little intimidating.

The Protectorate was the largest superhero organization in the world, spanning Canada and the States, and looking to branch out into other countries as well. Government-sponsored heroes, with a presence in every major city. They had some of the biggest, strongest Parahumans in the world on their roster, and when they assembled for the photoshoots, Armsmaster stood right among them.

He was one of the top heroes of the Protectorate, a capital Hero. At any other point in my life, I'd been giddy meeting him. Hell, at one point I'd even worn underwear with his logo on them and played with his action figures.

Wait, no, I never owned action figures.

Anyway. There had even been a time when I had fantasies of him waltzing into Winslow, on days when the bullying and Emma's betrayal had been especially bad, of him stepping up and saving me from my torment.

… but now? Now I saw different things when I looked at the man: Dad's horrified face, turning disgusted when Armsmaster kicked in the front door to our house, leveling his halberd at me while shouting out my crimes to the world.

Armsmaster towering about me, his face accusing and his eyes burning with hate and loathing. "You murderer," he spat at me, right before he impaled me with his halberd.

Armsmaster dragging me out of my room by my hair, past Dad who just stared at me passively, uncaring, saying: "I don't have a daughter anymore. She died when you tore the scar into the city." The black van was already waiting outside, ready to drag me right into the Birdcage.

I wasn't just nervous, I was scared, and for once, I wasn't ashamed of it. This was fucking Armsmaster, and yes I was powerful in my own right… but what chance did I have against someone like him?

"Oh, don't be so pathetic, kid," a man snorted next to me, but when I shot a glare toward them, there was no one. Great, now my imagination is running amok again, I thought.

I would have slapped myself a few times if it would have helped, or pinched my arm until I drew blood, but those options weren't possible right now, so I had to make do with my breathing exercise to center myself and swallow the budding panic before it could mess everything up and I turned to flee like a pathetic coward.

No point in putting this off any longer, I told myself in an attempt to psyche myself up. He's just a human, like you. You've met him before. You can do it. He was nice to you. I kept doing it over and over again as I slowly made my way over to the group.

It seemed like Andrea had intercepted the trio before they had a chance to beeline toward me, and I was thankful for the breather she'd unwittingly granted me. I needed to get my head straight again. I couldn't fuck this up.

They were still too far away for me to make out what they were discussing, but when I slid closer, trying to project all the confidence I was totally lacking into my step, and moving purposefully with the elegance that came so naturally to me these days, scraps of conversation began to drift into my ear. Armsmaster was going through some documents Andrea had handed him, before eventually returning them.

"... ers seem to be in order…"

"... Protectorate always take this long?"

"... had to briefly investigate reports on a … on the way here." That was Armsmaster. "Was it…?"

"No, we don't have …." I caught Andrea's reply. And then I was already close enough, and everyone who wasn't already watching me approach turned to look at me.

Armsmaster's stance was neutral, but even with my non-existent social skills, I could tell that he was measuring me up as I approached them.

Kid Win openly stared at me, and even with his visor, I could tell that he was either completely dazzled or utterly dumbstruck. Like someone who saw a pretty girl and promptly walked into a street sign.

I had to suppress a grin at the sight, especially when Gallant elbowed him in the side and Kid Win sheepishly averted his gaze.

I couldn't quite read Gallant. He seemed friendly, but I wasn't good at reading people, and his helmet prevented me from seeing his expression. Still, something irked me about the way he looked at me, and I met his gaze until he finally offered a small, awkward wave.

Time to meet my fate, I guess.

"Armsmaster," I greeted him, lowering myself into a deep curtsey with all of the elegance I could muster up. "A pleasure meeting you again."

And then my leg suddenly spasmed, my foot slipped from underneath me, and I crashed face-first into the sand.

Many thanks to Fwee for the Fweedback. A shorter chapter this time, because I kind of want to try and feed the thread a bit more frequently. Maybe it will help with my output. After the park stuff has wrapped up, there will be one or two interludes that will among other things offer a sweet glimpse into Boston, as well as a PHO segment dealing with Taylor's first public outing (among other things). And then we'll finally enter stage two of Book 1. Finally. :)

What a clever and useful way to use her power. A very valuable public service.
Maybe she can win a little goodwill with Armsmaster by turning over that "something that looked and sounded like a piece of Tinkertech" she found. Or maybe that thing was planted there for her to find and receive negative consequences for revealing.

As always, thanks for writing!

What a clever and useful way to use her power. A very valuable public service.
Maybe she can win a little goodwill with Armsmaster by turning over that "something that looked and sounded like a piece of Tinkertech" she found. Or maybe that thing was planted there for her to find and receive negative consequences for revealing.

As always, thanks for writing!

Always happy to see your comment! I thank you for that. :)

Comprehensive Guide to Reality in CSVT (Non-Spoilery)
Given that this story plays a lot with hallucinations and whatnot, here's my attempt to make the story more comprehensive. I hope it helps. The underlying system is rather simple, really:

Normal dialogue: "Hi."

Normal thoughts: This is stupid.

Butcher talk, hallucinations, intrusive thoughts: "Oh my, this is so embarrassing."

Normal Dialogue. Reality is fine.

"Hi," I say. "Do you like Halbeard straws?"

"No," Armsmaster groans. "I hate that stupid brand. Waste of plastic, if you ask me."

Normal Thoughts. Reality is still fine.

Damn, this girl has some solid abs, I think upon seeing Kathy in what is perhaps the sexiest swimsuit I've ever seen. Built like fucking bricks, but then again, what do you expect from an almost seven-foot Irish car mechanic looking like a strongwoman on steroids?

Le Wonky Stuff: Butcher talk, hallucinations, intrusive thoughts, weird imagination. Reality is not fine here.

"Hi," I say. "Do you like Halbeard straws?"

"No," Armsmaster groans. "I mean, they are pretty cute, aren't they? I always wanted to have them as a kid."

"Uhm," I stare at the hero, unable to contain my confusion. "What?"

"I just don't like them," Armsmaster replies somewhat irritated, shooting me a weird look.

(...)

So, what do you think? I dare to ask my headmates

"Eh, this is all bullshit, really."

"Yeah, fuck that."

"What's wrong, Taylor? You seem a bit absent."

"Nothing," I hastily reply.

"She's pretty hot, isn't she?"

Yeah, but so is Marcus,
I mentally reply. "Sorry, Sarah, I was just thinking about something."

(...)

Something else snapped below my feet, and this time a pained wheeze reached my ears.

"Geez, she is high as fuck. First time she's gone that far," one of them chuckled. Slouchy?

"Yeah, she's really enjoying herself," the girl on the ground said. "It's about time, yeah?"

"Mmm, but shouldn't we do something?"

"Nah,"
Sugita growled. "Just let her be for now. My power is pretty potent. It'll get better with time, but the first rush is always the hardest. Fuck, reminds me of my own first time."

Last edited:
The average Butcher cohabitation experience

1. Morning Routine: If you are a gal with guns, they need a lot of maintenance. If you are stuck watching that, you might get bored and use the time for constructive discussion. Is Chuck E Cheese a restaurant, and do they have chefs, or not?

2: School time: Bored and annoyed voices in your head can be a distracting factor during your daily life, but a sweet mix of Shard bullshit, psychosis, and a certain cheeky tease of a Butcher girl who knows exactly how distracting her dress code is? Poor Taylor...

3: Homework: Taylor is trying to read "Emma" by the distinguished Jane Austen. Not the type of book most of her headmates would read, so they decide to make a game about it and read the book to Taylor, swapping the narrator with every paragraph, and having a jolly amount of fun. On Taylor's side, limits have been reached...

An old comic I've unearthed from my hard drive, courtesy of the Intrigue_Diablo. Hope you like it. It was an attempt to make a humorous skit.

Book 1: Chapter 15

"Don't worry," Gallant said, presumably shooting me a smile through his helmet. "The first time I met the PRT Director I tripped and bashed my head on her desk."

I nodded stiffly, maintaining my relaxed pose while really being anything but. The three were looking at me with a mix of amusement and sympathy, and my ear refused to stop burning like a soldering iron.

What a fucking way to make a first impression.

I could feel sand in my hair and underneath the collar of my costume; a gritty, chilly sensation that only added to the levels of humiliation I'd just circled through. At least I hadn't fucking eaten any.

"Leg cramps happen if you don't warm up and exercise well," Armsmaster interjected. "I know from experience. Are you hurt?"

"Only my pride," I murmured before pausing, instinctively casting my gaze down before forcing it up again. It was all on camera now, wasn't it? What a fucking way to make a first impression, truly. "It shouldn't have happened," I finally added, murmuring more to myself.

"What was that?" Armsmaster asked.

"Nothing," I said, glancing around from the corner of my eyes. I'd been set up somehow… I was sure of it. I didn't trip – I never tripped. My footing was impeccable, and my sense of balance was beyond normal. And yet, I'd just faceplanted like a fucking toddler who was just learning to walk.

I should have been able to catch myself effortlessly if I tripped, and even if someone had stuck their leg out in front of my foot, it shouldn't have knocked me off balance at all. Maybe I'd been poisoned without noticing, or someone had used a power on me that messed with my sense of balance. But why? Was someone trying to fuck with me?

The crowd was still there, and seeing the phones and cameras from the news team aimed at me drove the final nail into the coffin of my confidence. Still, I couldn't see anything suspicious. I did, however, notice that the giggling pretty boy from earlier had disappeared. What a shame he had tripped too, truly.

"I did speak to your… PR manager…" there was the slightest hint of distaste in Armsmaster's voice when he said the words, or perhaps I was just imagining things. "...and everything seems to be in order. It's good to see a new hero who doesn't just think about fighting villains…"

"Attention whore," my mind whispered at that.

… but I believe we haven't been introduced to each other yet?" Armsmaster smiled at me, and I stopped scanning my surroundings.

"We have, actually," I dropped into another curtesy, before doing a slow twirl, gracefully spinning like a ballerina to show off my looks. "Armsmaster, Gallant, Kid Win, it is a pleasure to meet you again. Kaleidoscope, at your service."

"Wait," Kid Win stared at me. "You're the peddler chick?"

I shot him an irritated glance. That was certainly one way to phrase it. "The street artist, yes," I corrected him, stressing the words and crossing my arms.

"Right, sorry," he replied.

"I had suspected that there was more to you," Armsmaster said. "I can understand trying to downplay your powers, especially as an independent agent. Why did you decide to step into the spotlight now, though?"

"I-"

"Don't trust him. Don't tell him anything," my mind hissed. "Don't be a fool. One wrong word and you'll be exposed for what you really are. Do you want to go to prison?"

"I got invited as a plus-one to the Estrella fundraiser on Friday," I finished lamely. "And my employer wished for me to build up a reputation first."

"I see," the Protectorate hero said, not adding: that didn't really answer my question.

"So, what can you do now?" Gallant asked. "Your costume looks amazing, really professional grade."

"Thank you," I did another slow twirl with my arms raised, shooting him a genuine smile. "I put a lot of work into it. As for my powers…" I hesitated, briefly overtaken by a surge of paranoia before carefully saying. "I'd rather not disclose too much if that's alright with you. Let's just say that I'm a telekinetic."

I reached out with my song, pulling a handful of sand from the ground and into the open palm of my hand. Then, I poured my powers into it, molding and forming it until I presented a small rectangular pyramid to the Ward. He took it after a moment of hesitation.

"By this point, it's pretty much solid sandstone," I explained. "I altered the internal structure and properties, making it harder and denser, and fused the grains together. It's how I make my art. As far as I know, it only works on inorganic materials, and not on any kind of advanced technology. Which reminds me…"

Time to earn some brownie points, I thought, reaching beneath my dress to retrieve the piece of Tinkertech I had found during my cleanup work. "I found something weird during my cleanup. It looks like something a Tinker made. I assume you'd like to have it?"

"Tinkertech?" Armsmaster frowned "Are you sure?"

I nodded, holding out the package to him. "Yeah. Doesn't look like a phone to me."

"Please place it on the ground and step away from it. I'll need to perform some scans for safety's sake." I did as he asked, and Armsmaster knelt down a few feet away from the package, bringing out a small rectangular device with a bunch of antennas and sci-fi bobbles hanging off it. It took him a minute to get whatever readings he was looking for, and the rest of us stood around, the awkward silence only broken by a couple of quiet beeps from Armsmaster's device.

"No outgoing signals or dangerous emissions that I can detect," he finally said, reaching for the package. Even with his armored gauntlets, he deftly peeled away the wrapping around the bit of tech. It looked rather unspectacular; a battered device the size of my palm encased in grimy plastic. It looked rather dead, all things considered.

I'd cleaned off the surface a bit, but I hadn't dared to fiddle with the internals. It was common knowledge that playing with parahuman technology was a bad idea, though I'd planned to take it apart in my workshop later that day. I was vaguely aware that Tinkers could get inspiration from other Tinkers' work, and even though I knew that my specialty probably didn't mesh too well with more sci-fi stuff, I'd hoped to get some use out of it.

In any case, losing it wouldn't hurt me much.

"Looks like old Leet tech," he finally said. "Where did you find this?"

"In the pond," I jabbed my thumb over my shoulder. "Buried in a pile of garbage."

"So it's just been sitting there, rotting in a random pond for who knows how long?" Kid Win blurted out.

"Yep," I hoped he caught my wry smile through my mask. "Right next to a whole bunch of playing children."

"That is concerning," Armsmaster frowned. "The last recorded encounter with Leet in this area was several years ago."

Well, shit, I thought, shrugging at Armsmaster. "I guess we're just lucky that nothing happened."

"That's true, but something easily could have happened," Armsmaster replied. "You might not know this since you aren't a Tinker, but our creations can be very dangerous when not properly maintained, and Leet's tech in particular is known for exploding when you least expect it. Thank you for bringing this to my attention."

I dropped into another quick courtesy. "It is always a pleasure to be of service. So, what now?"

Armsmaster actually grinned at me, a short tug of his lips. "Well, this is normally the time when I'd start trying to sell you on joining the Wards team." He had nice lips, and briefly, other thoughts began rising in my head, unbidden, and taking me aback the moment they blossomed in my mind. I had to suppress the urge to reach out and dig my fingers into his beard.

"And this would be the time I decline the offer once again," I shrugged with a smile. "I do appreciate it, but I don't think the Wards are for me, and my plans for leaving the city haven't changed. I'll be gone by the end of the month."

"I understand."

"Well…" I was interrupted when Armsmaster's head jerked to the right. When I looked, I saw Andrea stalking toward us. He sighed lightly. "I assume your PR agent wants to take some photos of us together," he said drily.

I couldn't help but snort at the remark. This had been surprisingly pleasant so far.

"So, where are you leaving to?" I turned to Kid Win, shooing away the boy I'd just handed the last of my handmade souvenir cards. The Ward was floating next to me, sitting on his hoverboard like it was a flying bench. He had the look of a kid in the middle of math class.

I considered deflecting the question but I forced myself to give the junior hero a bit of trust. It wasn't that I was wary of him as a person – he seemed kind enough from our short interaction so far and definitively more down to earth than I'd expected from a local celebrity – but he did work for the government and I was a wanted murderer.

"Boston," I replied. "A new start, you know?"

"Oh, yeah," he replied awkwardly. "I can understand that… but this city isn't so bad, you know? Maybe you should give it a chance? Now that you're doing more stuff…" Instead of wasting your powers, he didn't say, "... we could really use another hero out there, you know?"

"Yeah, but it's not exactly my choice if you get my drift?" I lied shamelessly because fuck this place, fuck the city, and fuck the people here especially! "My Dad lost his job and good luck finding something in this city that pays well and isn't connected to a fucking gang. We have no choice."

"Oh, how old are you?"

"Why do you care?" I shot him an irritated glance.

"Just… curious," Kid Win winced. "Sorry if I overstepped any boundaries. I'm… not good with people."

"I feel you," nerd, I snorted, and before I realized what I was doing, I had already reached out and patted his head. What the fuck Taylor what are you doing? I screamed internally at myself.

The hero squawked, nearly falling from his hoverboard, before shooting me the most bewildered glance I'd ever seen a person give me. "That- you-" he stuttered, and lacking any other plan to save the moment, I decided to go all out.

"Sorry," I grinned, internally not believing the words that were now pouring out of my mouth. "Couldn't help myself. You're just kinda cute. And I'm fifteen, by the way."

Kid Win ogled, and something suspiciously akin to omgpleasejointhewards flew from his lips in muffled words. He was red as a tomato, his ears glowing like the panels on his costume. He coughed. "Please don't do that again."

"Sorry. Force of habit," I half-lied… even though I had no clue where that habit had suddenly come from.

"You're teasing me, aren't you?"

"No, I- I'm not," I shrugged, trying to save a bit of my dignity "It's just… I get impulsive sometimes, you know? I wasn't like that before…" I got my powers, I wanted to say but the words refused to leave my lips, and I fell into awkward silence. The hero seemed to understand me though, because something in his posture darkened immediately.

"Yeah, I can understand that," he replied mutedly. "I have some issues like that too, you know? It can be a struggle sometimes, and it's not something that my powers help with at all." He chuckled, though it sounded forced to my ear. "In fact, it's kinda the opposite."

We fell into awkward silence. The crowd in the park had started to thin since the event was officially over but there were still a few stragglers about. Andrea was talking frantically to Armsmaster a few yards away, waving her hands around. They were too far away for me to make out what they were talking about, though I could have probably listened in if I'd cared to focus. Gallant was entertaining a few remaining kids by shooting colorful balls of energy into the sky. I was sure he didn't have to do that, especially when there weren't any cameras trained on him anymore, but he still did, and it looked kinda sweet.

Of course, even without the whole Scar looming over my shoulder like a screeching specter, I had my reservations about the Wards; teenage drama, bureaucratic oversight, PR agents, and glorified poser idols that were most likely just Emma in different wrapping… but now that I had seen some of the Wards in the flesh, they seemed nice enough. I still wasn't about to join them, of course, and I'd probably never return to Brockton Bay again if I could help it, but right now… I could imagine working together with them like this.

"And if I ever want to get serious 'bout ending my celibacy, two smiles at the Nerd would be enough to get a subby plowing toy for a few weeks," my mind happily supplied.

Ok, no, no, I was not going there. Bad brain. What the fuck? I frowned. Seriously, what was up with me? Why was I getting these random thoughts that were so out of place… it was like there was someone else in my head – like I was possessed or schizo or something.

I knew that – that… fuck! I knew that I had issues"polite way to say that you got a few screws loose. Don't worry about it, girl" … but was this normal? Ever since I'd hit puberty, I'd gone through one thing after another that felt super weird but was apparently normal. Was this one of those, or was I actually just fucking losing it in the most spectacular manner?

"You ok?" Kid Win asked, and I forced myself to unclench my fists.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Bad memories."

"I have those too, sometimes," he fell silent for a moment. "Are you really fifteen?"

I turned to shoot him a look. "Yes? What's with that question?"

"Uhm," Kid Win. "You do kinda look older? I'd have guessed that you were around eighteen or twenty."

I paused. "I have no idea how to respond to this," I finally said.

"Sorry," he winced.

"I mean, if you're into ol-" I was interrupted -- probably for the best – by a commotion in my peripheral vision; a woman was walking up to us. Well, marching, really, with her hands balled into fists at her sides. Her face was unassuming; conservative haircut, bland but not unattractive. It was also reddened with anger, and when our eyes met, hers glowered with fury and derision.

"You… you bitch! You monster!" The woman shouted as soon as she was in speaking range. I blinked, needing a moment to realize that she was talking to me. I glanced at Kid Win, but he didn't seem to know how to react either.

The woman stopped a few yards away, glaring at me, and continued shouting, "scum like you should rot at the bottom of the ocean." Each word was underlined by a sharp jab of her finger at me. "You fucking capes just care about your image, and we normals have to suffer for it. I don't care where you crawled from, but if you get off hurting innocent kids just for kicks then you can…"

My stomach clenched, my throat felt tight. What was going on? Was this… I had imagined something like this happening before, but it had always been in a courtroom or an execution chamber, where the list of all my sins was paraded in front of me and all I could do was sit there and listen.

"I… I don't-"

Before I could say anything, Andrea strode between us, hands up in a conciliatory gesture. "Hey, hey, hey, calm down, miss, you're making a scene. If you want to make a complaint, then-"

"I wasn't talking to you!" The woman tried to step past Andrea, but she matched the step, blocking the woman. "Get–" the woman grabbed Andrea and shoved her to the side– "Get out of my way!"

One part of me wanted to rush to Andrea where she'd fallen on the ground, a hand to her chest as if she was having a heart attack, and another part of me – more like ten parts – wanted to throttle the woman for daring to attack my partner. Kid Win had dismounted and was checking on Andrea, so at least that was settled.

"What's your damage?" I demanded. "You can't just-"

The woman yelled over me: "You could have killed him! you don't even care, do you? You'd better pay the fucking hospital bill, and if he needs stitches, I swear to God, so will you!"

"I–" My thoughts were spinning wildly. She was talking about stitches. This… was unrelated to the scar. A recent thing. "Hey, I didn't hurt anyone. Who the fuck are you even?"

I tried to stay calm but there was the taste of bile on my tongue. I took a step to the side, away from Andrea and Kid Win, and the woman seemed to take that as her cue to march right up to me and get in my face. She was only a bit shorter than me, but her haircut and scrunched-up face made me think of a cartoon mouse.

"You–" she jabbed my chest with a finger. The fucking nerve of her. She stepped even closer into my personal space, so I put my hands firmly on her upper arms and moved her back. The light shove sent the woman stumbling five feet backward until she finally fell on her ass.

She just looked at me for a moment, stunned, and then something in her eyes started to glimmer. I knew that she was unharmed, yet she made no motion to get up again. "Murderer! You- you bully!" She screamed. "Help! Heeeelp!"

The world around me slowly, ever so slowly ground to a halt, until there was only silence. And then I saw red.

I was walking towards her– how dared she talk to me like that – with the facets of my glass dress sharpening to razor-sharp edges. I'll show you, I fumed internally. You fucking b-bully!

Suddenly there was someone in front of me, blocking my path. "Careful, kid!"

A blue metal gauntlet was placed on my chest, holding me back. My arm came up and to the side immediately, knocking it away and sending sparks flying in the process. A nearly subconscious twirl, and I was past the obstruction, approaching the woman on the ground.

I was about to close in when my danger sense flared and I snapped my head towards the source. Armsmaster, the hero of Brockton Bay, with his weapon pointed toward me, the tip glowing with some sort of energy. Like I was a threat, a villain. But it was her, the woman, who-

Who had done what? Said some mean words?

It was like cold water splashing over me, shocking me back into reality. For a moment, it was like the world around me was frozen. Nobody moved, but the world seemingly shifted and distorted as tears began to fill my eyes.

I thought that Armsmaster was saying something to me, but I couldn't make out what it was. There was something wrong with his gauntlet, with four long grooves marring the pristine metal.

I took to the skies before he had a chance to do anything. I just couldn't deal with this right now.

Many thanks to Fwee for the awesome Fweedback.

Last edited:
Back