Crimson Shards on a Vacant Throne

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

When the flames devour Winslow, a lone girl is left behind, trapped in a dark smoke-filled basement. She crawls from the ashes on shattered wings, all but broken in body and spirit. However, she quickly finds that she has more problems than managing her destructive powers and the strange impulses that come along with them.

Storm clouds gather over the Bay, and a serial killer stalks the streets of her neighborhood. Can Taylor protect her family when the storm comes… from both herself and the enemies that lurk behind the facade of a calm city?
Last edited:
CSVT Story Prologue

Introduction

I watched the pale winter sun set over Boston. Slow, but inevitable, until it finally dipped behind the city and the rays of sunlight caressing my cold face were filtered through the massive skyscrapers dominating the background. Sunlight reflected off of the pristine snow covering the city, the red brick walls, and the massive panes of glass from the high rises, giving the landscape a golden and almost surreal sheen.

It wasn't as beautiful as watching the sun rise behind the Waterfront from across the harbor, but if I angled my head just right, I could spot a hint of the ship over the harbor; a certain flicker in the air, and the shadow of a shadow peeking through one of the aisles. Even for my sharp eyes, It was way too far away to see anything without binoculars, but if I closed my eyes, I could almost see it:

A majestic frigate in the sky, hovering silently over the water and silhouetted against the rising morning sun. Where the light broke against the shield surrounding it, it would be framed by golden rainbows. The Constitution was a fusion of ancient history and technology that humanity couldn't even begin to grasp, and in a way, it represented everything Boston was and Brockton Bay would never be.

But even without that, it was a truly mesmerizing sight, and together with the bustling masses in the city below and the sparkling Christmas decorations lighting up the streets, the world almost looked safe and whole.

Deep within my heart, I knew that Brockton Bay, for all its bad and good, could never truly compare to this, but I had left it behind now. I didn't have to deal with it anymore… For good, I hoped. This was my home now, and it was as perfect as anything could be in this fucked up world.

I should have been happy, but all I could do was stare blankly over the river Charles, trying to hold back the tears brimming from my burning eyes. Deep below me, the unsuspecting masses bustled through the streets, stressed but happy. Christmas Eve was just around the corner, and their lives were intact. They had their friends and families, and…

…I had no one. Fucking no one.

"You have us," the voices in my head whispered. Something moved in the corner of my vision, and I clenched my fist, keeping my gaze straight so I didn't look. Oh, I was sure they tried to be soothing, but all it did was stir the bile in my throat even further.

Just another reminder of how my life had fallen apart. Boston was supposed to be our haven. A new start, a new life, but what point was there in getting to live all of this, when Dad couldn't? The doctors had said that his odds of recovering – of waking up – were good. Yet, I asked myself. What will he wake up to?

What would I even tell him?

Hey Dad! You've just spent a week in a coma but we both survived! I know you sold our house for a crappy apartment, but now the house is gone anyway and the apartment is uninhabitable. Me? Oh, don't worry about it. I spent some days on the streets in the deepest winter, but now I'm fine and squatting together with fucking Lung in an abandoned drug den.

No. No, I would fucking not.

I hissed between clenched teeth. Dad deserved better, and I would fucking make sure he got it. Even if it meant that I needed to do something horrible to claim the bright future that was owed to us. But what? Sure, I had truly lovely company in my head, with even lovelier advice, but in the end, I was still alone, and for the first time in my life, I didn't know what to do.

Something wet trailed down my cheek, and I blinked furiously.

"It's ok to show weakness," a voice in my mind whispered, soft and soothing. A woman, but I didn't know who of them it was. It was hard to keep them apart sometimes. "We are still alone. You still have a moment."

No. I couldn't afford to show weakness. Not now, not ever.

"Your dad is going to be fine," another voice in my mind murmured. Annoyed, but not malicious.

"Even the dragon respects you, XVI, You'll carve yourself a place. We always did."

Lung
. I idly played with the razor-sharp glass shards hovering on my palm – singing to them to let them dance for me. Sure, they respected my song – my power – but that was it. No one respected me as a person…no one cared for me as a person.

Oh, the tiny fraction of mental lodgers who weren't utter monsters sure pretended otherwise, but in the end, they all wanted the same from me. I was their shattered angel who'd tear down anything that stood between the Butchers and their precious legacy.

Songbird, I'd called myself all those weeks ago, when there still was a fraying tapestry of normalcy in my life and the voices had hidden themselves from me. When Dad had still been there and I'd just been a violent teenager with hallucinations and the urge to hurt others.

I was Butcher now, a shatterbird if anything else. For all its beauty, that was all my song was good for.

"God! Depressed teenagers," someone in my head groaned. "Can't you just shut up? Just go ex a bottle of vodkas and fuck a few bitches. That's how you deal with this shit."

"Stop moping, XVI,"
Butcher sighed in my head. He was the easiest to recognize, the loudest, and when he spoke the others would let him. "You are who you want to be. Keep your end of the deal and we will even let you play pretend hero once in a while if that gets you off. Being the Butcher is a mutual relationship, as long as you respect our wishes."

"As long as we get to beat someone up while saving old ladies,"
another voice cackled.

Yeah, fuck you too, I hissed at them. They didn't bother to respond, and so I just kept looking at the sparkling world below me, playing with my glass to distract myself. Words rose in my throat, unbidden, but they were my own, and after some hesitation, I surrendered to the urge.

Carefully, I began singing, soft and quiet enough that the wind tore the words from my lips, making them almost unhearable for anyone but myself:

The cold wind is blowing and the streets are getting dark
I'm writing you a letter and I don't know where to start…

Last edited:
Book 1: Prologue
Monday, 06. December 2010

"So, what do you think?"

Paul swallowed and turned to glance at his partner-in-training. The bits of sickly sweet dough kept sticking to the inside of his mouth, and he had to suppress a grimace. He swallowed again, feeling the urge to rinse his mouth. "It's…I don't know. Not my thing." Fucking disgusting, but he didn't say that aloud.

"Huh. Well, and here I grew up thinking that every cop loves donuts." Vanessa said, carefully balancing the cardboard box filled with donuts on her lap. "Well, that means more for me then," she exclaimed cheerily, fished another donut out of the box, and began enthusiastically wolfing it down.

"No crumbs… or I will make you vacuum every inch of my car!"

"Yes, sir." Was her sharp reply, precursed by an audible gulp. It was their third night together, and Paul still didn't know what to think of his newest rookie. She was disciplined and enthusiastic, fresh out of the academy. Maybe a bit too much enthusiasm, if he was to be honest.

He reached for his now cold coffee, only to be interrupted by the static hissing and crackling of the radio coming to life: "Calling to all available units for investigation. Suspected 10-17B or 10-15 at Carlington Street 14. An elderly couple, suspecting home invasion."

Paul and Vanessa exchanged a glance, and she quickly set the box aside.

"Ready for your first proper mission? "

"Yes, sir!"

Paul reached for the police radio while operating the mobile data terminal with the other hand. While responding, he pounded in the address: "Sergeant Veder and Officer Swan responding, Car 17. Currently on a 10, but we are nearby. Can handle.

"Roger, Car 17. Response Code 1." The dispatch lady responded.

"Ten-four. ETA 5 minutes." Paul radioed as Vanessa pulled the car from the parking lot. "Any registered 10-666's or 10-333's?"

"Stand by." It took the dispatch several minutes to respond again. "Negative. Armsmaster is currently patrolling at upper Lord Street and is available if there is a cape incident. ETA 10 minutes if rerouted."

"Roger. Ending transmission." Paul spoke into the microphone before turning towards Vanessa. "Alright, rookie. Quiz time. What were they talking about?"

Her answer came immediately and without turning her attention away from the steering wheel. "Vandalism or trespassing. Responding without sirens or lights. No Protectorate operations or stakeouts, and no Parahumans sighted. Sir." Vanessa added, and a smile tugged at her lips. "We were on a lunch break. Past midnight."

"Past midnight indeed," Paul sighed as he stared out of the window. Ice and snow pounded against the glass, obscuring the abandoned street. God, the weather's shit today, he thought dryly.

"Almost there," Vanessa said, steering the car into a side street. "Do you think we'll run into trouble?" There was a hint of nervousness in her voice. Despite common belief, crime didn't happen every day in Brockton Bay, and the Rookie…she was just so damn competent. The girl had a college degree, a body like an Olympic athlete, and reflexes like a special forces veteran, and that made it sometimes easy to forget that this was actually her very first mission.

"You know the drill. Even when it's tedious, always check your surroundings." Paul paused to quickly gulp down the last drips of his coffee and slammed the paper cup back into its holder. "It's probably just some raccoons." Or maybe Hookwolf jumps from behind a corner again and they end up having to rinse the remains of my best friend from my skin, he thought.

For a brief moment, Paul's skin felt slick and sticky, and the coppery scent of blood rose to his nose. He shook his head, and the sensations disappeared again. He was just tired.

They pulled onto the sidewalk as soon as the house came into view, and after carefully scanning their surroundings, they quickly exited the car. Snow crunched under his feet as Paul walked around towards the trunk, attentively scanning the dark and empty streets for threats. His hand crept towards his service gun, and in a brief moment of weakness, he allowed himself to touch it. The cold metal felt reassuring. Calming, like an old friend.

Brockton Bay is supposed to have mild winters, he thought, thankful for his new, padded service jacket. The icy wind pricked at his skin, tugging at his cap and hair, and even though he would never admit it aloud, the atmosphere was kind of unsettling. The abandoned streets were lined with barren, skeletal trees, and the cutting wind carried swathes of snowflakes with it. The few gloomy streetlights barely illuminated the rows of dark two-story wooden houses, each one like the next.

"Surroundings clear," he shouted.

"Sky clear," Vanessa replied, and he heard her briefly speak something into her radio.

Paul opened the trunk door and retrieved the heavy-duty vest from its compartment. He secured the armor properly on his gut, methodically double-checking the straps and equipment in the process. The sidearm, flashlight, pepper spray, taser, and a few grenades with containment foam.

He hesitated but didn't reach for the shotgun. Then, he stepped aside and watched Vanessa do the same. She moved with the accuracy of a soldier, yet he couldn't help but notice her slight trembling as she pulled the straps of her vest close.

"Alright, let's go," he said. He clapped her on the shoulder and made sure to lock the armored storage compartment in the car trunk before stepping towards the house. "You know the drill. It's an elderly couple, we follow standard procedure, so stay polite, assertive, and vigilant. Even if it's just some raccoons…" and not Hookwolf "...we are to be extra polite and reassuring when it comes to the old folks."

"Yes, sir," Vanessa replied sharply.

The small house at the end of the cul-de-sac stood out like a sore thumb. Every light was on, inside and outside. Something moved behind the closed curtains as they stepped up to the front door. It was almost lovingly maintained. Freshly painted and neat, every window was adorned with flowerpots and racks. The garden would be meticulously picturesque if it weren't for the fact that it was the middle of winter.

Someone, presumably a child, had built a giant snowman in the front yard, and for a brief moment, Paul had the impression that it turned to watch him as they strode past it.

A woman clad in an atrocious flowered nightgown opened the door as soon as Paul and Vanessa stepped up to the front porch, and he immediately noticed her supposed husband lingering in the background. The couple was elderly, the sort of people that looked exactly like you would imagine the kind grandmother next door, occasionally waddling over to her neighbors with trays of home-baked goods. The sort of rare but genuinely good people you would ask to babysit your children without any second thought.

The woman's face was a mask of barely contained nervousness. The man just looked tired and annoyed.

"G'evening Ma'am, BBPD, you called us for a disturbance?" Paul tipped his cap and flashed his badge.

"Oh, thank god, officer." The woman spoke as the suspicion faded from her face, replaced by relief. "We heard noises from the backyard."

"She's always hearing things," the man groaned. "In the backyard, on the roof, in the attic. She's convinced that someone is stalking around in our house every or so night." He threw his hands in the air in an exasperated gesture. "She's paranoid". There is no one in this damn house. We have a top-of-the-line security system-"

The woman turned around and nudged her husband with her elbow, but from what Paul could tell there wasn't much heat to it. "Stop it! Something goes on here. For weeks! Everyone sees it, why don't you-."

"Ma'am," Vanessa interrupted after exchanging a brief glance with Paul. "What do you mean? What noises?"

"Well, there have been a lot of suspicious people hanging around lately, strolling around the neighborhood and sitting in that ugly van on the other side of the street for hours. I don't think anyone else besides me has noticed, but I have a lot of free time these days. And a few days ago, a weird man rang at our door, trying to sell us flowers." The old woman scoffed. "No way that slimy bastard was a florist, I got an eye for that. Asked us way too many questions about our neighbors. And then there are the noises at night."

"Noises?"

"Well, sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and there are these noises… it's almost as if someone is walking around on our roof. The house is old and creaks a lot, especially during this season. At first, I just thought it was me imagining things, and blaming it on my husband's paranoia…" A loud scoff echoed out of the hallway, and the woman rolled her eyes in exasperation. "…but it just doesn't stop, you know?"

Paul and Vanessa exchanged a glance. "I will check the house, you check the backyard. Keep your comms on."

"Yes, sir!" Vanessa replied and disappeared around the corner.

"Please, come in." The old woman said and stepped aside. Paul entered and was led into a small but comfortable living room. Even the inside of the house was spotless. Greg could take a bite from this, he thought amused while looking around, blocking out the frantic blabbering of the old woman.

Eventually, she got shushed out of the room and disappeared into the kitchen. Paul turned towards the man. "What kind of security do you have?"

"Tan Industries." The old man grunted and gestured towards a sticker on the window.

Paul raised an eyebrow. "The expensive stuff?"

"Yeah, it's expensive, but the price is reasonable for what it offers. State of the art. They know how to make shit up in Boston." The man gestured around. "From top to bottom, every window and door is secured. Physical locks and electronic nonsense, with motion detectors. Upgraded our old one after my wife first started hearing things."

"When did it start?" Paul pulled a notepad and a pen from one of his pockets.

"Hm, dunno… a few months ago? Few weeks after the Winslow Fire thing." The man's face twisted in disgust. "Daughter of our neighbor got shredded there. Poor thing is more scars than skin. Hurts to look at her. Really, if I ever get the fucker who did that I am going to…" He coughed at Paul's raised eyebrow, "...er…hope they find 'em soon and punish them. By the law and all that."

"Hmm, have you checked the windows?"

"Of course." The man retrieved a surprisingly modern smartphone from his pocket. "Nephew works for the PRT. Helped set this thing up. Every window is locked, I check every night before going to bed, and every time one is opened, it sends a message to our phones."

"That is pretty thorough. You really don't believe your wife?"

"She's bloody paranoid. Nothing's been stolen, even when I put a couple hundred bills on the table one night to try and smoke them out."

"Fair enough," Paul chuckled, "I-." The radio crackled to life, and he raised his hand. "One moment please."

"Officer Swan here," Vanessa radioed, "Nobody's around, but it looks like someone went through the trash. Doesn't look like raccoons to me. Looks like something big and heavy was removed though."

An unpleasant feeling stirred in Paul's gut. "Understood. Come inside, let's wrap up. Over."

"Roger," Vanessa confirmed.

Paul slightly readjusted the radio on his shoulder as he turned back towards the man. He couldn't resist raising an eyebrow. "Seems like someone went through your trash."

The man opened his mouth to speak, but whatever he wanted to say was interrupted by a startled shriek. It came from the kitchen, and Paul barreled through the door in an instant, followed by Vanessa barreling through the still-open front door.

The old woman sat at the kitchen table, staring wide-eyed at a box sitting on the table. "It's gone," she whispered.

"Ma'am," Vanessa said, taking the fingers from her gun holster. "Please, relax. What's gone?"

"The cake. It's all gone!" The woman's voice was shaky. "I knew it, someone is walking around in our house at night. Some t-thief. Oh god…"

"So, where does this go?" Paul asked, pointing up towards the faint outline of a hatch in the ceiling. They had searched the entire house from top to bottom, but even after an hour of digging through everything, there was nothing to be found. Nothing but the cake had disappeared, even the safe filled with jewelry and gold left untouched. Aside from that, there was nothing that pointed to a forced entry.

The whole situation was, frankly speaking, surreal.

"Attic," the old man coughed, out of breath from stomping up the stairs. "Haven't been up there for quite a while though. We cleared it out a few years ago, nothing up there but lots and lots of empty space."

Paul and Vanessa exchanged a glance.

"...you think?"

"Yes. If there is anyone in here, up there might be a good hiding place for a squatter." Paul stared at the hatch, shifting. A frown spread across his face. The folding stairs were an issue. Steep and narrow, and whoever might hide up there had an easy way of defending it.

"We have an endoscope," The old man chimed in. "Bloody old thing, but it still works just fine. We could crack the hatch a little and check if someone's up there. It's just one large room, and no place to hide."

"Great idea, could you please get it?" Paul asked.

"Of course. One moment." The old man disappeared downstairs, and Vanessa turned to Paul.

"Do you think we should call backup?"

"No, but keep your head up." Paul shook his head, glancing at the ceiling. "We still don't know if it's legit, or just paranoia. Could be some raccoons, a parahuman, or even nothing. Maybe she just misplaced or misremembered something. Reminds me of my parents."

"Understood, sir! But…" Vanessa hesitated, and Paul offered her an encouraging nod. "What about these…people Mrs. Brown mentioned?"

Paul groaned softly and moved a hand to his temple to rub it. "Really, we'll look into that in due time, but right now we have to check this. Frankly speaking, if anything about her report is true, it's above our pay grade."

Vanessa looked like she wanted to object, but remained silent. Honestly, Paul couldn't even blame her. Police work nowadays was all about compromises, and no matter how much one wanted to hate it, it was just how life worked. The young generation of aspiring police cadets struggled to understand it, blinded by their idealism. They wanted to make the world how it was supposed to be, and that was what killed most of them in the end.

Thundering steps and wheezing gasps of air heralded the return of Mr. Brown and tore Paul from his spiraling thoughts. He smiled. "You found it?"

"Yeah, here." The old man handed him the ancient device and promptly collapsed on the chair in the cramped hallway which had most likely been set up for that exact purpose. "Button's at the side."

It took Paul a while to figure out how the thing worked, but eventually, it started blinking, and he brought the camera to his face. The camera worked, even though the quality was notably bad. But it'd have to do.

Vanessa carefully climbed up the folding ladder, stopping only when she was almost crouching below the hatch. Then, she carefully lifted it up, and fiddled the endoscope through the tiny crack. They held their breath as she carefully swept the thing around, following the hushed instructions from Paul as he peered through the camera. The lighting was shitty, but it was just barely enough to see things if he strained his old eyes.

"Alright," Paul declared, his shoulders slumping a little in relief. "Unless we have someone able to turn invisible, the attic is clear."

The ladder didn't creak as they pulled it down with the hook, and climbed up the narrow stairs. The attic room was dark and crammed, only illuminated by the little light that fell through the single window. Paul fumbled blindly for the light switch. With a click, the fuzzy lightbulb sparked to life, revealing a barren room lined by raw trusses. It was empty, save for a few old and disused cabinets, and a single wooden chair standing near the window, and Paul couldn't help but notice how clean it was. Almost too clean.

Dust and debris had been sloppily swept into a corner, but the faint outlines of footprints were still visible. They were everywhere, but mostly congregating around the window and the hatch.

"Oh my fucking god. She was right. There was…is…a psycho running around our house! She was right, all this time. Watching us sleep and whatever sick shit they were up to…for months! Officers, you have to do something." The old man trembled, and Paul placed a hand on his shoulder. "Just…why? Playing some sick games, or what?"

"Oh my god," Vanessa whispered, carefully stepping up to the window. She had drawn her phone and was recording. "I think…It's a fucking stakeout. Someone is watching the street from here"

"We have never done anything to anyone. How did they even get in? Window's locked from the inside." The old man mumbled, stepping around Paul and towards the window. He kicked the chair, and it fell over with an audible rumble. "Fucking bastards, but not with me."

Paul winced as the chair fell over. He suppressed his urge to reach for his gun and approached the window. Vanessa spoke something into her radio, but he paid no attention to it as he glanced out and onto the dark street. "Who lives there?" he asked.

"Hmmh." Mr. Brown peered through the dirty glass. "The Coulsons, the Schmidts, and Mrs. Gregory, though that one's hard to see from here. Hmm…"

"What is it?"

"I'm not sure. Well," the old man hesitated, "You…could, well. Yeah. Technically you can also get a pretty good look at the Morsons' and the Heberts' houses from here, but not without binoculars. Too far away, and you would have to look through between the houses here to see them. The angle is not ideal, but it would work."

"Do you know why anyone would want to do that?"

"I…no. They are all just ordinary people. Good ones."

"Sir? Take a look at this," Vanessa spoke up, and Paul turned towards her. She was inspecting the window lock, still filming with one hand, and held something in between her gloved fingers. It took Paul a minute to see the almost invisible nylon thread she was holding. It was tied to the crossbar used to unlock the window, and when he bent closer to follow it, he saw it disappear into a tiny hole in the window frame.

"Cunning," he murmured, more to himself. "You know what you are doing, huh."

Vanessa tugged at the thread, and the crossbar went down. A simple push was all that was needed to open the eerily silent window, and a gust of wind blew into their faces.

Paul had seen many things during his career and had to deal with the most revolting kinds of people, but this? Even if he didn't want to admit it, it unsettled him. Someone was spying on the neighborhood, both with the subtlety and skill to pull it off for months without alarming anyone. It was too planned, too patient to set up to be anything like a sex offender or the like. No, it was almost professional…but then there was the thing with the cake. It just didn't fit in.

Vanessa mumbled into her radio and stepped up to him. "Sir, another car is on the way. I…I don't like this. Got a really bad feeling."

"Me too, don't worry about this." He placed a hand on her shoulder and gave it an encouraging squeeze.

"Hey, what's that?" They turned their heads. The old man was leaning out of the window, squinting his eyes at something. "There, by the trees. Something's moving there! Did you see it?"

Vanessa rushed over to the window. "I don't see anything," she said, gazing around. "Where did you see it?"

"There," The old man pointed, "Those two trees right at the end of Carlington Street. Thought I saw something move there."

"It's quite windy outside. Maybe it was just-"

"No. There, don't you see it?"

"I'm sorry sir, but I-" Vanessa went silent, and suddenly bowed forwards, before rapidly stepping back and turning around, all but dragging the old man with her. "I think someone is hiding behind that tree," she hissed, cutting off the surge of protest from the old man.

The room fell silent.

"Are you sure?" Paul asked.

"Yes. I am sure I saw fingers."

Paul nodded, drawing a knife and cutting the string. "Alright, Mr. Brown. It's probably nothing, but we will investigate. Another car is on the way, please stay indoors. Lock the door, and don't open it unless it is either us or our colleagues."

"Understood." The old man's voice was serious.

They climbed down the stairs and left the house. The silence and darkness around them were eerie, and Paul couldn't help but constantly glance around, peeking into dark driveways cast in shadows. Yet, nothing seemed to be here except for the howling wind shaking the barren trees and bombarding them with snowflakes. His hand rested on his sidearm.

"How long did they say they need?"

"10 minutes, sir," Vanessa replied.

They reached the end of the road, and Paul stared at the two massive oak trees flanking the road on each side. "Here?" he whispered. Vanessa nodded. "Stay behind me."

The trees were tall and gnarly. At least a century old, and coated in a sensible layer of frost. Branches groaned in the wind, and the shadows they were casting looked like they were dancing a twisted dance in the fuzzy light of the streetlights.

Vanessa pointed at something. A series of small bumps roughly at the height of his head, almost looking like fingers wrapped around the trunk. The light was too bad to see, and Paul stepped around the tree to investigate. He choked, and his eyes grew wide.

"Oh my god," he whispered.

Images began to rise behind his eyes as Paul stared at the two flayed corpses strung up on each side of the road like a sick mockery of honor sentinels: A gore-soaked tie, the badge still clipped on. A twisted man with a goatee laughing unhinged as he dodged around the legs of a petrified Crawler while a silent woman clad in bones unloaded a howling spray of destruction from her minigun at him.

The corpses weren't just put up on trees but around them. Gutted and skinned to the point it reminded him of the horror images the Slaughterhouse left in their wake. Bile began to rise in his throat, and he struggled to keep his stomach under control. Next to him, Vanessa emptied her stomach onto the sidewalk.

His fingers trembled, and it took him a few tries to unlatch the safety of his gun holster. He drew it, taking a deep breath, and by the time his other hand closed around his radio, the trembling had stopped. He would not see another of his partners die. Ever again.

"Sergeant Veder reporting. Requesting back-"

The words got stuck in his throat when he spotted the woman stepping around the corner of the house two houses down the street, halting in surprise as their eyes met.

She was huddled in a ratty coat and even from this distance, he could see her shivering subtly when another gust of snowflake-ladden wind howled down the street and tugged at her clothes. Her face was hidden by a white mask, featureless and resembling a kabuki mask barring any openings except a pair of narrow eyeholes. A massive duffle bag was slung over her shoulder, stabilized by her slender hand. The other one held a bloody hammer.

"You fucking Monster!" Vanessa screamed. Gunshots fired as she unloaded her magazine at the masked woman, each of them a startling bang breaking the eerie silence around them. Two bullets impacted the woman's shoulder, and she tumbled backward. Blood spurted from her shoulder, staining her coat.

If there was any sound erupting from behind her featureless mask, it got drowned out by the wind as the woman stumbled backward. Yet she reacted immediately and almost with inhuman speed, slinging the duffle bag from her shoulder in a fluid motion, bringing it up as a shield in front of her despite clearly being unable to properly use her bleeding arm before Vanessa managed to fire more than a few rounds.

She reached into her pocket, and Paul opened fire as well. The bullets impacted the duffle bag as the woman retreated backward. She had dropped the hammer, and yet to draw a weapon of any sort but he would take no chances. Capes didn't need weapons.

The woman retreated around the corner, dropping her duffle bag, and Paul used the opportunity to scream into his radio, overpowering the concerned flow of words coming from the other side: "Crucify! Two dead! We need backu–"

Something sailed around the corner, and Paul's world erupted in white. Steam? He thought in confusion. It felt wet and heavy. Something crackled, followed by a spike of searing pain as lightning flashed, and his world grew dark.

When he came back to his senses again, the cloud of steam had parted, and the world around him was a blurry haze. Paul tried to move, but his limbs didn't obey him. Someone screamed into his ear, and it took him a minute to realize that the frantic voice came from his radio: "Paul? Paul! Goddammit, answer me, you oaf. Paul? Don't you dare bite it too! What am I supposed to tell Sarah? Greg? They need you! Hang-."

Crackling static interrupted the frantic stream of words. Paul tried to answer, to move even a single finger, but he couldn't. He could only lie there and watch in dread as the woman stepped around the corner. Her steps were silent, save for the slightest crunch of snow under her feet, measured and elegant. Almost cocky, if it weren't for the fingers clumped around her bleeding shoulder and her almost ragged breath.

Paul couldn't see behind her mask, especially not in the poor light around them, but he could physically feel her stare drilling into him as Crucify bent down to pick up her hammer. He tried to move again, to reach for the gun that lay just an inch out of his reach, but his body still refused to move. Everything was numb, and he could see his fingers spasm uncontrollably.

A shock grenade?

Crucify stopped next to the spasming body of Vanessa. She had collapsed where she stood, laying face first on the ground. Paul tried to force himself to move, but he couldn't. His hand twitched, but it still spasmed uncontrollably, and the numbness in his limbs kept growing.

He could only lie there and watch in dread as Crucify squatted down next to his partner. She lifted the hammer. Oh my god, not again. Please…

A tear ran down his numbing cheek as it went down again and again and again. Vanessa stopped moving, and the snow below her turned redder with every strike of the masked woman.

"...Armsmaster…..rerouted….hang…," the radio hissed, before dying completely. Paul's eyesight began to blur, and he saw stars as the world around him faded behind a curtain of darkness.

For a fleeting moment he thought he heard the howling of a motorbike over the wet twacking, but even the sounds were starting to blur now. The blurred woman rose and finally turned to him. Her white, featureless mask was splattered with blood - Vanessa's blood -, as was her ratty coat.

She looks young, Paul thought, and the woman tilted her head in curiosity as if she had heard his thoughts. She stalked closer, hammer dripping red, and Paul closed his eyes. He didn't have to see behind the mask to know that she was smiling. A soft jingle carried through the wind, coming closer and closer. I'm sorry.

The last thing he felt was a hard impact on his spine before darkness claimed him.

► Brockton Bay News

Estrella declares war on the Boat Graveyard!

Estrella, an American-Mexican tech company with headquarters in San Francisco, has opened up shop in Brockton Bay. Six factories and up to eighteen thousand new jobs are expected to open in the Bay over the next few months, a much-needed relief for Brockton Bay's growing unemployment issue.

Given its long history of exporting goods via naval trade and Brockton Bay's well-known harbor blockade problem which only peaked recently in the dissolution of the DWA, many citizens have questioned why aspiring CEO Gabriella Vasques would pick Brockton Bay of all cities, only to get blown away by the announcement that Estrella's sole goal is the revival and prosperity of Brockton Bay itself.

New Wards
Director Emily Piggot of the PRT ENE has announced the debut of two new Wards, Chariot and Spitfire. Their debut will be on the upcoming fundraiser hosted by Estrella, an initiative to help restore Winslow High School and aid in the recovery and treatment of the countless citizens who suffered from the accident that devastated the school and created the Scar.

Coldest Winter in decades
Brockton Bay experiences its longest and coldest winter than we have experienced in three hundred years. According to meteorologists, this is the direct cause of the debris and dust from the last years of attacks casting us in shadow and cooling ambient temperatures, but even if there are critics, everyone can agree that Santa and the children will love their snowy Christmas celebration this year.

Colin Wallis scowled. A flick of his eye caused the newsfeed to disappear, replaced by a file that set a new standard for the word 'sparse.' He skimmed it with one eye as he raced along abandoned streets, hands clenched around the handles of his motorcycle.

Her name was Crucify; a villain they knew nothing about other than that she was supposedly a tall and slender woman with a white mask and favored a compound bow.

A non-entity in the cape scene of Brockton Bay. One that, if anything, would have been labeled as a vigilante or casual villain at best if it hadn't been for the 4 destitute people she had publicly nailed alive against a wall before executing them two months ago. The recordings of that vicious execution had earned her both her name and a good helping of infamy. People thought that she was a serial killer in the making.

Colin didn't know if that was true, but he couldn't deny that the signs were there. The bodies were a message, clear as day, but the lack of any distinguishing pattern made him hesitate. There was no message or manifest, just a bunch of people and kids without a crime to their names.

Colin also didn't know if there was anything to the allegation that Crucify had forced herself onto one of her victims before their deaths, but he was certain of one thing: she wouldn't get away tonight. After that, he'd get his answers.

He skidded around a corner with screeching tires and the hud in his visor informed him that he had just entered Carlington Street. "Armsmaster to console, I have reached the target." He gritted his teeth at the GPS ping coming from the opposite end of the street..

More holographic readouts cropped up as he raced past an abandoned patrol car and a brightly illuminated house. Something moved behind the curtains, and his scanners detected an elderly couple…and the shotgun in their hands.

A ping cropped up on his visor, and the camera in his helmet zoomed toward the woman on the sidewalk. She was examining the fingers of a downed police officer, still holding a bloody hammer. He was still alive, albeit in critical condition. "Spotted Crucify. Engaging."

Colin drew one of his halberds. The woman looked up. She stood up, dropped the hammer, and drew two handguns from the pockets of her ratty coat. His scanners identified them as service guns; Glock, 9mm. 20 shots.

Crucify was bleeding heavily, barely able to aim or even move her left arm. Yet, the way she held herself and trained her other gun at him identified her as a trained shooter. Taking her age into account, she couldn't be ex-military or police… possibly gang connections? He wanted to call out to her, but she opened fire without a warning.

Colin steered to the side as his prototype combat prediction system kicked in, rapidly closing up on the villain. He lowered his halberd, and the tip started cackling with electricity - a nonlethal taser he had designed for non-brutes and civilians - only to drop it a split second later to shield his face with an armored gauntlet.

A stream of bullets impacted his armored fingers, all of them hitting the exact same spot. They had simply curved in midair to hit his unprotected lower jaw. The bullets stopped, and he pried his fingers away. His visor closed, and he extended his arm, calling the discarded halberd back into his hand.

Crucify didn't curse. She simply turned around and bolted around the corner. A trail of blood on the white snow followed her. Only a split second later, a gunshot rang through the night.

Colin skidded around the corner and brought his bike to a violent halt. He gazed around. The street was empty; No Crucify, and more importantly, no blood. He frowned and dismounted his bike, walking away while it automatically parked itself at the side of the road. He stomped off towards the series of footprints that ended in the middle of the sidewalk, looking around for the blood he knew was there just a second ago.

He carefully approached the discarded coat on the ground and lifted it with the hook of his halberd. His scanners detected the outline of a gun, a pair of cheap binoculars, and some candies in a pocket…but no blood. The other gun lay discarded on the ground…next to an imprint in the snow.

"What is this?"

Updated 14.12.2023
Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Book 1: Chapter 1

As they did every night, my dreams brought me back to eerily familiar hallways. Blurry images of fire and smoke-filled halls, small pieces of debris, and molten glass dripped down onto me as I stumbled onwards, trying to escape this hell on earth.

People were screaming at me. Screaming at each other. They were as confused as I was. As scared as I was. It hurt, but I couldn't see them, couldn't make them stop. A part of me knew that they were trying to help me, almost instinctively, but I just couldn't understand them over the screaming, the noise, and through the haze that was my clouded mind.

I tried to speak up, even though I had screamed myself hoarse hours ago. To beg them to shut up. To help me. To leave me alone. But as soon as I managed to force my chapped lips apart, I started choking as hot air and the stench of burnt flesh and hair assaulted my throat. I pushed through, forcing a rattling sound out of my mouth.

I could feel something break inside me, but it didn't hurt. I clamped the wet fabric of my shirt, drenched in water from a tap, over my nose again and continued to drag myself through seemingly endless halls.

I was exhausted; I just wanted to lie down and forget about everything, but the pain in my head only intensified at that thought. It kept me going. Wet drops ran over my numbing side and cheeks. I couldn't tell whether it was tears or blood, I couldn't stop nor did I care to check.

I shouldn't have left the basement where they had locked me up; forgotten and left to die.

My song reached more glass around me, glass that had not melted yet despite the intense heat, and I pulled it closer to me to reinforce the flimsy dome that shielded me from the worst of the inferno.

The ceiling rumbled, a disgusting cacophony of screeching metal and splintering wood.

My head snapped up, just in time to see a part of the ceiling crashing down, shattering the flimsy shield of glass around me. I screamed in terror, and so did the voices. I closed my eyes, raising my arms in a protective gesture that was as reflexive as it was useless.

Suddenly, the air was filled with the screaming and shattering of glass. The ground below me broke away, and I fell into the void. I tried to scream, but no air escaped my throat. I tried to reach out with my song, but the world remained silent. Something eerily familiar grabbed me as I fell, pulling me away.

And then, the pain was gone. So was the fear and distress. No fire, no heat. No smoke. No voices. There was firm ground below my feet, and I took in a deep breath of warm and clear air, trying to steady myself before I dared to open my eyes.

In front of my eyes, a corridor stretched into the far distance. It was slightly opaque; countless broken glass shards radiating in a kaleidoscope of iridescent colors, grinding together to form almost pulsating walls around me. The sight was overwhelming, and one of the most beautiful and impressive things I had ever seen.

I took a step forward, dumbfoundedly staring into the glowing cracks. It took me several moments to realize that they weren't static. There were scenes reflected in the glass, as if every shard, no matter how tiny it was, was a screen playing a blurry movie. The second realization came only a split second later: I was surrounded by glass, and yet it didn't sing to me. I should have been utterly terrified, but somehow I felt safe and at peace.

"What is this place?" I muttered in both awe and confusion, only to get startled by the sound of my own voice. How…normal it sounded.

My hand immediately went up to my head, only to find pristine skin where nothing but scar tissue should be. After confirming that I also had both of my arms back, I started exploring the seemingly endless corridor, driven by a soft but obstinate tingle in the back of my mind. The ground was constantly shifting, yet somehow it always remained firm under my steps.

A particular shard on the ground caught my attention. I kneeled down, looking at the blurry images moving across the large but splintered surface. I didn't know what urged me to touch it, but as soon as I did, something ripped me away.

I whistled a happy tune as I flipped the sizzling burger patty on the grill. A soft summer breeze caressed my skin and the sun shone warm on my bare back. Something rustled and I turned my head to look at the couple sitting under a nearby lush tree. I smiled, my heart filled with love and happiness as I watched my husband leaning against the bark, and my pregnant wife sitting on his lap, shamelessly plunging her tongue into his mouth.

I played with the thought of throwing off my apron, to join them in their happiness, but the burgers were almost done, and I had never been one to abandon my duty. I sighed in amusement, shaking my head, and settled in to enjoy the sight of her muscular back. It was covered in a carpet of beautiful scars and for a moment I savored the memories of carving them into her willing flesh.

"Hey you lovebirds, lunch is ready," I shouted.

A soft giggle behind me was my only warning. I twirled around, just in time to catch the little bundle of joy that threw herself into my arms.
"Mommy!"

I hoisted her up with ease, unable to suppress my happy laughter as I showered her with kisses. A hand wrapped itself around my hip, drawing me into a hug.

I ripped my hand away with a force that would have sent me keeling over if it weren't for my almost unnatural balance. It took a moment for my stomach and mind to calm down again and for a good while I just sat down on the ground, trying to regain my breath and organize the thoughts swirling through my skull. What had I just seen? What happened?

Why did it feel so familiar?

My heart was pounding with adrenaline. I had felt and smelled everything. As if I had been the person to live through these memories, for that must be what they were. My eyes were burning and when I rubbed them, my hand felt traces of wetness on my cheeks. I could still feel these foreign emotions in my heart. The grief, hate, and utter despair the woman had felt upon seeing what had happened to her family.

Her fury, burning hotter than fire.

What are the Teeth? I thought, effortlessly jumping to my feet. Where did these memories come from? This dream… this place was unlike everything I had ever experienced, and yet it was oddly familiar as if I had been here before. Before I could restrain myself, I had already touched another shard. This one was small, bland, and rather inconspicuous compared to the cacophony of colors around me. It felt cold to the touch, and once again I got ripped away.

I made sure to straighten out my suit before sitting down behind the large desk in my rather elaborate study. I paid no mind to the expensive art and ancient statues, the fancy rugs, and countless knickknacks I had collected during my travels around the world. A long journey that had ultimately led me here, to a city ripe for the plucking.

I removed the black gloves, still damp and dirty from the grave soil, carelessly dropping them onto the polished oak to stare at my hands. They had always been strong and reliable, but there was no mistaking the signs of age. I was getting old, and now…now I was alone.

I reached into a hidden drawer to retrieve the bottle of Whiskey, and a glass I filled generously with amber gold. Another one was set aside and filled. I placed it on the opposite side of the desk, and the bottle wandered back into the drawer.

I raised my glass in a toast.

This time it was even more intense, and it took a while for the echoes of the man's emotions to fade away from my mind. A soft rumble shook the corridor, but I was too caught up in my curiosity to notice it as I continued to examine the walls with newfound awe.

This time, I touched a fractured shard tinted in crimson fury.

The parasite stood in the doorway, face red and puffy, barely concealed tears in her eyes. She was almost hiding behind that stupid rabbit plushie I had stolen for her a few weeks ago, clutched to her chest.

She sniffed. "Daddy is…is scaring me, can I…can I please stay here?"

I sneered. "Fuck off!"

"I-"

"Fuck off I said, kuso. Are you dense or what?"

Tears began rolling down her cheeks. She opened her mouth. To cry like the whiny brat she was.

I jumped to my feet, crossed the room in a few steps, and grabbed her by the collar. I dragged her inside and made sure to close the door before I slapped her hard across the face, clamping my hand over her mouth just a split second later.

"Shut the fuck up." I hissed, leaning closer toward her until our faces were only an inch apart. "I have no fucking need to get a beating just because you are a pathetic crybaby again. Get. Your. Shit. Together. Got it?"

Tears were running over my hand now, making me shudder in revulsion. Pathetic. I slapped her again. Finally, she managed to nod, and I let go, wiping my fingers on her stupid cutesy bunny sweater.

The knife was still in my pocket. A lumbering weight that smiled at me. It would be easy, I just had to pull it, get rid of the parasite that tore my family apart, and throw her out of the window. We could be happy again, and maybe Dad would even stop calling me into his bed when Mom was slaving her life away for him.

My hand closed around my little sister, and I threw her onto the bed. She had dropped her bunny, and I picked it up and shoved it into her face before returning to my desk. She smiled at me. "Thank you, Sis."

"Shut the fuck up!"

I stumbled away, shocked and dazed by the sheer intensity of the emotions I had received from the girl. She was angry, so angry. A maelstrom of rage and bitterness, mixed with despair and helplessness. I shuddered, even as the memories left me again, leaving nothing behind but blurry impressions and emotions.

I took a deep breath, my finger already hovering a mere inch over the next shard, when another rumble shook the corridor. Alarmed, I looked around, only to flinch back. The soft glow of the cracks behind me had turned into a deep orange. Before my eyes, the walls started to shift, quiver, and bend in a cacophony of grinding glass as the cracks began to widen. Glass shards began to flake off, raining to the ground with soft clinks, and revealing the churning inferno behind them. Flames started to leak through the cracks and I recoiled violently.

Terror began to seep into my heart, and I tried to reach out with my song again. Trying to seal and stabilize. Everything to keep it away from me, but once again, my song faded away, unheard and unheeded. A terrified sob escaped my lips as a wall crumbled away entirely, revealing what lay behind it: Fire and eerily familiar halls. My personal hell on earth. The countless scars hacking my skin apart started to prickle and burn, and my entire body trembled and shook as mindless panic drowned out my thoughts. I couldn't fight it, couldn't kill it. I had to get away. Away from the fire.

Winslow was calling me, and a tiny part of my mind that resisted the panic told me that if I stayed…. if I obliged and submitted to its call, I would be back in the grasp of my nightmare.

But there still was the gentle nudge in the back of my mind. Almost like a gentle hand trying to guide me, and in my desperation, I latched on to it like a lifeline. I turned around, forcing myself to fight against the pull that tried to pull me into the fire. One step after the other, every single one of them was as hard as if I were the old me climbing a set of stairs, carrying a backpack filled with lead. And yet I managed to push on, stepping deeper and deeper into the shimmering tunnel that still stretched unmarred in front of me, until the pull was gone entirely.

My bare foot hit wood. I blinked, and quickly found myself gaping at worn wooden floorboards and old red brickwork. The tunnel of glass and memories was gone between one blink to the other, replaced by an almost historic-looking hallway that wouldn't be out of place somewhere downtown. This place felt oddly familiar, reminding me of something, but no matter how much I pondered on it as I slowly approached the wooden door at the end of the hallway, I couldn't put my finger on it. A place from a movie, perhaps?

What the fuck is this?

I stepped closer to inspect the wooden door. Old, worn oak with shiny brass knobs. There was noise coming from the other side. Faint, but undoubtedly the chatting of people. I felt at ease, everything seemed familiar, but a little voice in my head couldn't help but whisper to me that maybe this was just the next stage of my fucked up nightmares. A lure. Giving me a false sense of security to catch me off-guard.

Like Emma.

I reached for the handle, only to hesitate. I took a deep breath.

Before I could muster up the inner strength to knock, the door got kicked open from the inside, almost slamming into my face in the process. Only a quick step backward saved me from getting my nose crushed to a bloody pulp.

An eerily familiar girl of Asian descent stared at me, her eyes growing wide with shock. Her visage was the most vicious scowl I had ever seen on a person, before morphing into a blank but cautious expression. She was tall and slender, albeit a tad shorter than me, with long limbs and a long neck.

She was fucking beautiful, and I couldn't help but feel a pang of envy about it. Raven hair that I didn't even have to touch to know that it was as soft as silk, held up by a scrunchie and a set of matching hairpins adorned with little decorated pieces dangling from delicate chains. I couldn't discern what they were made of, but they almost looked like bones.

They clattered as she tilted her head, staring at me with squinted eyes.

I estimated her to be roughly my age. Maybe a year or two older. She was dressed in a plain red tank top, exposing powerful shoulders and flawless ivory skin bulging over muscular arms, at least where it wasn't covered in a carpet of tattoos and scars. Unsettling depictions of bones, skulls, thorny vines, and blades wrapped all over her arms, and together with her many scars, made her look intense and dangerous in a way that went beyond the scope of an ordinary delinquent.

I also noticed that she definitively wasn't wearing a bra, and I quickly glued my gaze to a prominent scar on her right cheek that went from her jaw up to near the bottom of her eyes, thankful for the distraction.

Her face twitched, and I quickly lowered my arm, cursing myself for my lack of fucking social skills. Fuck.

"The fuck are you doing here?" The girl's voice was clear, but with a soft accent I couldn't really discern. A weird mix between an irritated hiss and cruel, condescending drawl, utterly butchering what must have been an originally soft and melodic voice. It made her appear even more vicious.

Her rudeness irritated me, but it was quick to morph into anger: Hot, boiling magma that raged through my guts. I tensed, trying to quench the urge to grab the girl by the shirt and shake her, or just slamming my fist into her face to wipe out that condescending frown. It was tough. A growl rose in my throat, and I glared her in the eyes.

"None of your fucking business?" I challenged her.

The girl met my gaze without a twitch, and I quickly found myself getting drawn into it. Her eyes were hard and uncaring, cruel black pits without a spark of life, and for a brief moment, I felt as if I was staring into a void. A faint glimpse of hollowness I couldn't grasp, buried below layers of cruelty and apathy.

There was something deeply wrong with that girl.

"Well, then fuck off. Wimp!" She spat.

Wha-. Before I could even finish that thought, she slammed the door shut in my face. The beast in me roared, and for a good while I just stood there, baffled, staring at the door with clenched fists. Seriously, what the fuck was going on here? What kind of fucking dream was this?

I reached for the doorknob, and the world around me shattered.

I did not know what it was that finally tore me from my restless sleep, but for a while, I just laid there; Tucked into my warm heap of drowsily comfortable pillows and blankets, my tail lazily coiling beneath the sheets. Unwilling to release its choking grip around Mr. Cuddles and the bedpost. I couldn't tell how long it took for my brain to finally boot up, to fight back against the crushing fatigue, but when I finally opened my eyes, the room was still clouded in darkness.

I stared at the ceiling, counting the little tears and cracks, the old splotches of paint where I had attempted to draw something when I had been younger. I didn't even remember what it used to be. The painting was long gone, having fallen victim to age and a ferocious spatula years ago.

To be honest, I didn't exactly care, but it distracted me. It was something harmless to focus on while my tired brain attempted to sort through the jumbled mess of thoughts and emotions whirling inside me. It helped me try to ignore the subtle itching and encroaching grouchiness that immediately told me that my mind and body once again demanded more.

I tried to focus, to recall what I had dreamt about, to push through the haze, but it escaped me. All I could grasp was a jumbled mess of emotions and memory fragments: Fire, pain, and drowning terror. A raging inferno devouring familiar halls. Blurry voices and fading faces, familiar but always just a mere fraction of an inch beyond my reach.

I gave up, slamming my fist onto the mattress in frustration. Then, I sighed. Well, at least tonight I didn't wake up curled up on my bed and sobbing. Or screaming loud enough for Dad to come banging at my door again.

Then terror awoke under my pillow, and I bolted upright, my tail bursting out from its hiding place under the mountain of pillows and blankets I had cuddled myself into, throwing them off. Golden metal segments coiled themselves protectively around me, ready to lash out while my right hand fumbled blindly under my pillow. Eventually, I managed to grab the dastardly offender and smashed it against the opposite wall. Anything to make it stop.

The ensuing silence was heavenly for my heightened senses and it made orienting myself so much easier. It took me a while to realize what was going on. No one was attacking me.

I tried to blink the sleep out of my eyes, reaching up with my hand to rub them. My jaw cracked as a gigantic yawn escaped my lips, but no sound escaped my throat. God was I tired. Even worse than I usually was. I retracted my tail, pushing off the blanket around me so I could wrap it part-way around my midriff. The firm embrace of metal on my skin felt nice, but it didn't help with the crushing fatigue.

I glanced around the dark room, confusedly searching for my alarm clock. What time was it? Why would it go off in the middle of the night? The realization came a split second later, together with the fate of my alarm clock.

Fuck, fuck, fuck!

I screamed internally.

I rolled off the bed, stumbling onto my feet. I shuffled over to the wall, dragging my feet over the cold floorboards. My gaze fell on the noticeable crack in the drywall, and when I stepped up to it, something crunched under my foot.

I stared down at the shattered remains of my alarm clock. Pulped and mangled. My shoulders slumped, then began heaving.

Fuck! It took all of my willpower to restrain the urge to growl, to slam my fist into the wall over and over and over again. I coiled my tail tighter around me, but even then, the tip coiling over my head was twitching uncontrollably. Carving deep gouges into the ceiling before I finally managed to wrench it down.

I gripped the base of my tail hard enough for the metal to groan in protest while reaching out with my song to trigger the hidden switches. My nerves flared in protest when I severed the connection, but my body remained unbothered. The tail went slack immediately, turning from a part of myself to a thing slumping to the ground.

My tail gave me a sense of security. It felt like a natural extension of myself. Detaching it felt like I was ripping out my own arm, and I wanted nothing more than to curl up in discomfort, but I pushed that impulse violently away, giving it a few mental parting kicks in the process.

With that part of my body under control again, I started my breathing exercise, trying to force myself to calm down. Like I had practiced countless times with my therapist.

In. Out.

In. Out.

In. Out.

My thoughts swirled, all the frustration of the past weeks and months coming back to me at once and hitting me like a brick to the face: The problems, the lies. Moments of shame and disgusting weakness. Helplessness even though I was strong now.

They were grinding at my self-control, all but fueling the raging beast demanding release inside me. The world around me began to drown in a beautiful crimson sheen, gently caressing my shoulders and wrapping me into a comfortable blanket.

In. Out.

In. Out

In. Out.

My eyes instinctively wandered to the large vanity Mom had installed for me several years ago. There was a subtle dent in the glass, where I hadn't managed to fully repair the mirror after smashing it to pieces in a fit of rage. It was only noticeable when you really looked for it.

In. Out.

In. Out.

In. Out.

I dug my fingers into the old wood, controlling my trembling hand just barely, enough to not rip it apart as if it were flimsy paper, and stared at my hunched reflection in the mirror. By now, my shoulders were heaving in tempo with my ragged breath, and my glaring eyes burned with primal rage. A carpet of hair fell over my right eye, but I didn't care.

I hadn't even noticed moving over to the vanity.

In. Out.

In. Out.

In. Out.

The breathing exercise helped me cling to self-control, but it was tough. My body screamed at me to release my fury, and a sweet voice in the very back of my mind began whispering to me. The vanity seemed to smile at me, and for a split second, my reflection flickered: Short, black hair replaced by a long red mane. My face was replaced by another. Then, it was gone again.

A growl rose up in my throat, and I failed to hold it in.

In. Out.

In. Out.

In. Out.

'Just hit me', the reflection smiled at me. 'Stop thinking. It feels good. You deserve to feel good too, you know?'

By now, the world around me had drowned in crimson. There was only me, and Emma. Smiling at me with her unnatural eyes, glowing in a wispy sheen that didn't illuminate the darkness. The side of her face that wasn't forever frozen in a neutral expression glowed with love and pride as she beckoned me to embrace her.

In. Out.

In. Out.

In. Out.

'It's fine to let loose once in a while', she said, bowing forward. My gaze wandered over disgusting beautiful scars and a shredded eight-pack; An explosion of rippling muscles that wandered all over her body as she tensed. It was a delicious and impressive display of pure primal strength, just for me, but there was a tiny part of my brain that wondered when Emma had ever looked like that.

The thoughts were silent and drowned out when Emma suddenly surged forwards until our faces were just mere inches apart. She whispered into my ear, but there was no breath accompanying her honeyed words: `You don't have to hit Dad again. Hit me. Make me submit. I will like it… you will love it. Trust me, just listen to your instincts, they will guide you. No one gets really hurt, you know?'

In. Out.

In. Out.

In. Out.

I jerked my head backward, away from the monster. Emma just smiled softly. It was gentle, utterly contradicting the sheer burn of her eyes. The beast in me roared again, and the pace of my breath quickened in an attempt to quench the desire to close my hand around her throat. Another growl escaped my throat.

I felt my fingers losing grasp of the vanity desktop, and Emma's smile widened. There was so much admiration, so much pride in her eyes. I wanted her to keep looking at me like that… to touch and worship me while I carved her eyes out and fed them to her.

In. Out.

In. Out.

In. Out.

The drowning part of me that could still think knew how wrong it was, but it was so hard to fight back. Hard to care… and why did I have to? Why not take what I want, do what I want? In the end, I knew that it was just an old vanity. I had ruined it already, so why not do it again? It was easy to fix afterward. It would be good.

My fist would smash through flimsy glass and wood, right into Emma's smiling face. My ears wouldn't hear the sound of splintering wood and shattering glass, but of breaking bones and her screams.

I would like it. I would deserve it.

In. Out.

In. Out.

In. Out.

My vision flickered, and suddenly Emma stood behind me. She moved her arm, raising a hand up to my cheek. The arm too was oddly muscular; at least twice the size of what it should be, and rippled with sculpted muscles just like the rest of her body. Her touch felt like a hunch of nothingness. The barest hint of pressure as she began caressing the scarred ruin of my cheek.

'Why do you resist, Taylor?' She whispered into the hole that was left of my left ear. 'I just want to help you. To make you feel good. I want you to be happy. I know that destroying things makes you happy. You don't have to be ashamed of that.'

In. Out.

In. Out.

In. Out.

'Destroy me. You know it's not permanent.' Emnma's hand dropped below the mirror frame and out of my sight. A cold handle cuddled itself into my hand and I instinctively closed my fingers around it. I felt my control breaking away.

Yes. Why bother stopping what felt good?

A tiny part of me realized that I had just lost, but desperation kept me clinging to the edge. I forced my lungs to heave one last time, while my eyes darted toward Emma's iron stomach.

In -

"Oh for fuck's sake, girl. Get your shit together." A deep voice bellowed into my ear, and my breath hitched, rage supplanted by shock and confusion. For the beat of a moment, my thoughts began to clear, and I pounced on it like it was a lifeline.

I forced my gaze away from Emma's face my face, casting it downwards to where my pale and scarred fingers had clamped around the grip of the dagger. I forced my hand open, dropping it onto the ground. Then, in quick succession and before my mind even had a chance to follow up, I formed a fist, clenching down until my knuckles turned white.

I smashed it into my face, trying to beat clarity back into my brain. I didn't flinch, not even as my nose broke against my hand. Blood splattered onto the vanity and the mirror, staining my fingers. All the while a hushed storm broke loose in my room.

"Shut up, you braindead fool," a woman hissed. "Are you out of your mind?"

"I can't stand it anymore."
The deep voice groaned, "why do we even do this bullshit again?"

"I said, Shut. Up!"

"No! I am sick of shutting up. It's always the same. She is getting crazy, no matter what we do. And what if Daddy-wimp gets wind of it, huh? If I have to listen to Miss Johnson again or see that fucking leather couch again, I will kill someone."

"She is getting better, a lot better."
Another woman spoke up. Her voice was calm, weirdly stilted, yet she too seemed to be deeply annoyed. "I think it's the restlessness that is getting to her. Few months, but still not a single fight. That would make even me crazy."

"I don't c -"

Without thinking, I smashed the fist into my face again. The voices cut off, and for a brief moment, I had the impression of someone getting tackled down by a bunch of bodies. The maelstrom of…almost foreign emotions that had bubbled up together with the hallucinations slowly dissipated again.

In. Out.

In. Out.

In. Out.

My hand dropped limply to my side, and for a while I just stood there, staring into the mirror and breathing deeply as the crimson sheen slowly dispersed. Only when I felt that I was in control of myself again, did I relax. A deep, shuddering sigh escaped my lips. and I slumped over, leaning heavily onto the table plate.

Fuck!

My thoughts raced. The…voices. That wasn't Emma. Wasn't normal. Dad? I froze. Fear and panic began to rise in me, and I struggled to batter them down as my erratic gaze flickered through the empty room. He wasn't there. No one was there but me.

My gaze flickered towards the wall, towards Dad's room, and I all but collapsed in relief. He was still there, laying where I assumed was his side of the bed. The rivers of blood flowing through his veins were slow and steady, and his heart was beating at a calm pace.

I didn't move much - didn't really have to - as I began sweeping the house and the immediate neighborhood, trying to ignore the tiniest pang of guilt that blossomed from my blatant violation of privacy. My sight was powerful, piercing walls and doors if I wanted it to. Not much use in seeing things...but people? Nothing escaped me, and I was confident that even Strangers would be betrayed by the very blood running through their veins.

The house was empty apart from a few rats in the basement, and so was the neighborhood. There was no threat to be seen; People were still deeply asleep, including Dad. My front felt warm and comfortable, and I turned my attention back to the mirror. My foot hit something cold as I shifted, and I kicked the discarded dagger under my bed and out of my mind.

I had to get rid of it later.

Blood still gushed freely down my front, idly held in check by a delicate line of glass shards just above my waist so it didn't soil my favorite Alexandria-branded pajama sweatpants. Words bubbled up to the front of my mind; Crazy. Hallucinations. Deranged. Unstable.

I pushed them away, focussing on the bizarreness of just how good it felt and looked. For some reason, there was a rather large part of my brain that couldn't help but notice that seeing myself coated in blood was an absolutely stunning sight and that it felt absolutely amazing; Warm and comfortable. A gentle feeling that quenched the stupid, ever-present itching, and distracted me from sprouting thoughts and emotions I didn't- couldn't deal with right now. It distracted me from the encroaching shame that I had almost turned into a rabid animal.

Again.

I didn't want to think about the fact that only deliberate self-harm had kept me from desecrating one of the few pieces of Mom's legacy again, and it took a lot of willpower to finally reach up with my hand and set my maimed nose back in place with a sharp thug. Then, I set on fixing it, mending bones, tissue, and blood vessels as if they were wet clay.

My biokinesis wasn't what I would call particularly fast, and while fixing my nose only took a few seconds at best, prettying it up was somewhat more time-consuming. Time that I spent aimlessly pacing around my room, kneading a stress ball I had fastened from elastics during one of my many sleepless nights.

The sensations of nerves and blood vessels knitting together and moving back where they belonged were just deeply uncomfortable, and together with the other itching made me want to scratch myself like a maniac. My gaze kept flicking over to the drawer below my desk.

Soon, I reminded myself, but first the cleanup

My gaze flickered to Dad again, making sure that he was still asleep. Then I shuffled towards my window and closed the curtains. I started singing a song no one but I would ever hear, and the world eagerly sang back to me. Responding with a cacophony of harmonic tunes so beautiful and pure it made my heart melt.

Sand exploded from every cranny and crevice; Falling from the ceiling, rising from between the floorboards, and pouring out of the suitcase I kept stashed away under my bed. It filled my room, rising into the air as if it were held up by invisible strings. Eager to serve, to envelop and hold me safe.

It was a peaceful response, but the twinge of a single note caused it to turn into a raging maelstrom. A silent hurricane pounced on the vanity, my body, and the stained floor. Eager to rip and tear and shred, to sand and polish away any incriminating bloodstains that might have tipped off Dad.

Sand scraped over my skin as I stalked through the room, scooping up my discarded tail and fishing out the dagger from under the bed, before depositing them onto my messy sheets. The sandstorm offered no resistance, parting around me where it was needed despite grinding against my front with a force that should have torn skin from flesh.

Only when both I and my room were spotless did I allow myself to collapse onto my bed. I buried my face in my pillow, allowing myself to finally let loose the desperate sob that had been building up steadily within me. It was a display of personal weakness that sent ripples of disgust through my body, but I just couldn't help it.

'It's fine to let loose once in a while.'

Emma's words, a thought I had to know had sprung from nothing but my craziness - from a fucking hallucination - kept echoing in my mind as I fished for Mr. Cuddles, finding him discarded on the ground. I wrapped my arm around him, drawing him to my chest as I threw myself backward on my bed again.

The cuddling brought me comfort as I stared at the ceiling, trying to find solace in my song as I weaved the sand into intricate symbols and animated scenes to distract myself; Geometric shapes. A field of flowers wrapped in barbed wire. Knights dueling with swords.

Watching two tiny men crossing their shifting sand swords while stumbling over pizza boxes was such a surreal sight it made me chuckle. My thoughts drifted. I knew that I wasn't fine. Far from it, and I also knew that musing over stuff hallucinations had said was something I shouldn't do. Yet, I couldn't help but think about them.

Lack of action. Restlessness.

Were they right? Of course, I knew that I was restless, that I craved adrenaline, but was it really that bad that I began crawling up the walls? Something almost…foreign inside me churned, like a bunch of people pointedly nodding their heads in unison, and for a fleeting moment I almost had the impression of someone grumbling something about…booze and boobs?

I groaned.

Fuck it, I thought as I rose from my bed, I need a smoke.

I scratched my neck as I beelined towards my desk. There was only a slight tremble of my hand as I opened the lowermost drawer, and dug through my stuff, removing little knick knacks until one of the many secrets I kept from Dad was laid bare.

My…habit always left me with mixed feelings. On the one hand, I hated myself for being an utter addict who burned through one or two packs on a bad day, but it helped me calm down and soothed my raw nerves; a lifesaver for coping with…pretty much everything. And there was a lot I had to cope with.

I grabbed the flameless lighter, shoving it into the waistband of my pants. Then, after some hesitation, I grabbed the entire pack of cigarettes.

Updated 21.03.2023

Last edited:
This is a neat concept. Confused why more people aren't reading. Best of luck.

Edit. I would reccomend removing the Taylor!butcher tag. They have a bad reputation.

Last edited:
no idea. But I have seen like 10 other projects that are badly written with similar premises. Also the niche is kinda filled up with stuff like "old boss" and the other one that i cant remember the name of. so you need to make something new to justify its exitance

Story's fun so far, not many fics that I've seen go for the bog standard insanity-inducing unending provocation brainpals hell that is being the Butcher rather than "Taylor cheats somehow" so it's nice to see the variety! I'm definitely curious to see where this ends up going and also to get more context for pretty much everything since we're still in the dark about so much, like why she has Shatterbird's power or how exactly she became the Butcher or what the deal is with the tail. I bet this thing'll take off around here once there's more of a clear picture of what's going on, best of luck to you with working on it!

Got a good premise. Do you think that we could get a more detailed list of the butchers? Hope to see a new update soon!

Thanks! What do you want to know about them, or think is lacking? The next two chapters are already worked on, and two more chapters are sketched out, but I might not be able to finish them and post them this weekend.
Maybe just a surface level bio and power description. I assume that most of the butchers sans 1, 5 and 14 are all original?

Character Dossier: Butcher XIV (Quarrel)
Character Dossier Quarrel (Butcher 14)

Alignment: Villain

Courtesy of Intrigue_Diablo

Artist: Berry (check the spoiler beneath the old story header on the first post)

The hairpins are slightly off (imagine them as more of a wind chime) and her shirt is pretty tight and actually covers her belly, but I hope you like it!

Height:174 cm
Weight:?
Ethnicity:Half-Japanese
Skin:Ivory white, scarred and tattoed
Eyes:Black
Hair:Black, soft, and smooth
Sexuality:Bisexual
Hobbies:Archery, Martial arts. Reading and music.
Respects:Strength and courage
Dislikes:Books, Poverty. Authority.
Despises:Spinelessness, Helplessness, Weakness
Cause of DeathBuried alive. Starvation

Description

Saiko Tanaka, also known as Quarrel, is a taciturn and cold-hearted person who rarely speaks more than she has to. But under the shallow veneer of her cold and icy demeanor boils a cauldron of rage, violence, insecurity, and anger. She is a remorseless villain and murderer, known for her efficient and brutal fighting style, and shaped by the merciless environment she has been exposed to from a very young age.

She is a sadist who revels in violence and the suffering of others. While she can be impulsive and short-sighted at times, she is a highly intelligent and calculating person, capable of speaking three languages fluently, and with a knack for athletics, fencing, and archery.

Appearance

She is a tall, lithe, and elegant woman of Japanese descent, with long limbs and a long neck, with long black hair, flawless skin, and powerful shoulders covered in scars and unsettling tattoos.

Her costume is busy, stylized with samurai, bloodletter, and headhunter elements, and trimmed with razor-sharp blades. The only trophies she proudly displays are a bandolier of skulls over her chest, bone decorations on her gigantic war bow, and the hair sticks fashioned from the bones of her own father.

Powers

Quarrel's power is as simple as it is deadly. Her attacks never miss her target as long as they are within range, and reality itself will fold in order to achieve that. Bullets curve in midair, and blades bend and twist to strike exactly where she aimed them, making her a deadly combatant who can put an arrow through a tiny crack in your armor with closed eyes.

TBA

Last edited:
Good I hope this isn't dead, it's such a cautious direction that isn't normal for Butcher fics. Most of them are very "loud" with the MC just needing to bargain with the previous holders .

Hoping you're not abandoning this, Partisanenpasta. Good introspective writing is hard to come by. Thanks for what's here though, if you don't come back.

Oh, hey there, and thank you very much. I am glad that you like it! This story is far from dead. I am still actively working on it, but I am kind of a slow writer. I am currently in the process of polishing Chapter 1.2 and writing the two following chapters. I figured I could expand the robbery, and work everything out a little better.

Did not have much time to write recently, but I am actually doing good progress, tho after getting some solid feedback on my writing I was forced to redraft the entirety of 1.3.

Book 1: Chapter 2

Brockton Bay was supposed to have mild winters, but the wind blowing through my open window was icy, carrying tumbling snowflakes that left prickling sensations on my skin. I paid them no attention. Honestly, it even felt kinda nice. Calming, and I just stood there, leaning onto the windowsill and sucking greedily on my fourth or fifth cigarette as I watched the evidence of my fit getting carried far away by the wind. My song carried it high into the air, where I spread it out, and withdrew my grip. Grain by grain, until nothing was left.

An intricate dissonance carried through my song, growing clearer and more detailed as it crept closer toward me. It was small, an insignificant rock in the giant network of music around me, but those usually didn't move, so picking it apart from everything else was easy enough.

By the time the car finally appeared on the deserted road, every trace of sand was long gone, and my room was clean and tidy. I watched the growing headlights and listened to the increasing intensity of its song as it came closer, barreling down the road at a speed that was definitively criminal.

I almost froze when saw the colors and the blazing lights, but there was no horn, and the car didn't appear to slow down. I inhaled deeply, filling my lungs with calming smoke, and slowly blew it out as the car went past me. As much an attempt to savor the last shreds of my cigarette as a silent statement to the blue authority that yes I was an underage girl smoking and now fuck off or I break your nose.

Not that I had a problem with cops or anything like that.

I shouldn't smoke that much, I thought, and with a tiny surge of self-apprehension, I jabbed the glowing stump against the barren side of my head before I dropped it on my windowsill and flicked it away.

Crack.

Of course, there wasn't a cracking sound as it sailed into the darkness, but a small, ironic part of myself couldn't help but imagine it. My eyes tried to follow the little projectile, but I lost sight of it before it was even halfway across the road. Yet, something had clicked into place when I had flicked it away, and I knew exactly that it would land in the dumpster of our neighbor across the street. To be reunited with his by now countless fallen brothers.

My lips twisted, and I leaned backward, pressing my back against the window frame to side-eye the plate of cake on my desk as I waited for the lone car to disappear from the street. I did not remember placing it there, but the way it smiled at me, and from my favorite plate on top of that was positively delicious. It didn't take long for me to cave in, and by the time the car had finally disappeared around the corner, my fingers were caked with mouth-melting cake.

I sensed another disturbance, another car coming, and finally, I stepped away from the window. There was a little voice nagging in the back of my mind, reminding me that I was still standing topless at the window, for everyone to see. Something that was supposed to bother me. Had bothered me not too long ago.

Another part of me which had slipped away without me even noticing it.

I used my elbow to wipe the ash from the windowsill and reached up to pull the window shut, only to stop when I found that my fingers were still soiled with cake. I licked them clean before slamming the window shut in a fit of annoyance.

It was easy for me to get riled up about something, but given the farce I called my fuse nowadays that was hardly something novel. I knew that, and shit like the fit earlier was a constant reminder of just how much self-control I was lacking. It was incredibly easy for me to get angry and annoyed, and I tried… but sometimes I just couldn't help it, and the fact that I was a fucking cripple?

Yeah, that was more than a justified source of annoyance.

Finding solace in smoke and sweets that I knew wouldn't add a single gram of fat to my body where I didn't want to usually did wonders to soothe my nerves, but they were also more than happy to bring one of the most glaring issues back to my attention: Eating and smoking with one hand was awkward, but to be fair, many things were; Eating, dressing, showering…I was perfectly able to perform these tasks, but sometimes it was just fucking annoying.

Not so much the fact that I was a cripple, I didn't care about that. It was more about the fact that I had to hold myself back. I could fix everything wrong with me….and go beyond. It was easy to triple the size of my breasts, to fix my hair and scars. To regrow my arm. To give me the measurements of a supermodel. To morph my flesh into whatever form I desired. The lack of an arm didn't have to bother me if I didn't want it to; my powers were eager to compensate for it.

Being a cripple wasn't nearly as bad as having to pretend to be one.

I had to be subtle with changing my body, especially since some of the changes I had undergone hadn't been of my own volition, or else Dad or anyone else would grow suspicious. They would out me, put one and one together, and send me to prison.

Being a disgusting coward grated my nerves more than anything, but it was a small price to pay, and I was more than willing to pay it. Dad had suffered so much because of me. Seeing him every day, putting up a strong front for my sake, trying to pamper me even though he had lost the job he had cared for more than he did me… I just couldn't. Couldn't bear to look him in the eyes and tell him that I was an unstable murderer. It would break him.

I pushed the thoughts away, taking a deep breath to calm down before I would run the risk of losing it again. My nerves were still too raw, even now. I checked on Dad again, but thankfully my little slip-up hadn't woken him up.

Still, some fresh air might be a really good idea.

An idle swipe of my hand and the briefest contact of skin ferried the now half-empty box of cigarettes and the lighter into my small but rather handy dimensional bullshit storage. Then, I approached my bed. The dagger and the tail were still lying on top of it, and I couldn't let Dad see that. The dagger went into my dimensional bullshit storage, but the tail was too big for that.

I reached out with my song, and once again sand began to creep into the room. It rose into the air, forming an arm that seamlessly attached itself to my shoulder. Of course, it wasn't a real arm, and unlike my prosthetic, it wouldn't be controlled by my nerves.

I knew just how absolute my song was when it was closest to me, but I still flexed my artificial fingers in test before I scooped up my tail with both arms and stashed it in a hidden compartment under the floorboards. Once done, I scanned the room for anything compromising, but everything appeared to be in order.

My bed was still a mess, and I made sure to fix that, shaking up my pillows and blankets. Only when everything looked neat and tidy did I step back, and stripped off my pajama pants. I threw them into the laundry basket.

By now, my spine port was covered with fresh skin, but I still made sure to check myself in the mirror to see if it would be convincing. Then, I dressed, slipping into a pair of bike shorts before retrieving a large roll of black gauze which I wrapped around my chest before securing it with a set of stylized bronze pins I had made for this very purpose. Fancy, and it was not like I had to worry about scratching my skin.

Then, I changed into my sports outfit. A matching set, and a surprise gift from Dad when I told him I would be getting into sports. A whole ensemble in black with sleek high-visibility lines, containing everything from underwear to gloves. It looked stunning, especially the way the sleek running jacket accentuated my growing shoulders.

I wasn't sure where Dad had gotten his hands on the money for such high-end equipment, especially since we were knee-deep in debt. He had dodged the question, told me that it was a perk of his mysterious new job and being independent. Was I suspicious? Of course, but I didn't want to pry too much into Dad's business.

I grabbed my wallet and the artificial larynx from my desk and stuffed them into the pocket of my jacket. Then, I donned my sunglasses, adjusting the elastic band that kept them stable as I made my way toward the door.

Sand began to slip out of my sleeve, pouring onto the ground where it crept back into the nooks and crannies it had come from. Soon, the sleeve of my jacket was slack and empty, and I made sure to tie it off properly. My phone was already waiting for me next to the door, floating in the air where I could grab it on my way out. My song faded, and it fell into my waiting hand. I stuffed it in my pocket and left my room on tiptoe.

Dad stirred in his room, and I quickly made my way into the bathroom. I made sure to lock the door before going through my daily morning routine. Prettying myself up didn't take long, I had never cared much about makeup before, and I certainly didn't care now. Eventually, I dropped the razor and looked at my reflection in the mirror, wrapping my fingers carefully around the edge of the sink.

There had been a time when I couldn't look into the mirror without wanting to swallow the razor blades I used to keep my hairline neat, but thankfully those thoughts had faded throughout my therapy.

Even before the fire had burned away everything, I'd almost given up on looking pretty or feminine. I'd always been gawky and thin and had disliked everything about my body except for my eyes and the hair I'd inherited from Mom. I'd always wanted to look like Emma – pretty, curvy, and elegant. Notions I had cast aside, had to – because I didn't know if I'd still be there if I hadn't. A big part of me still wanted to fix it, but even if I managed to come up with a convincing explanation for that, it would mean running away from my problems…and I had sworn to myself that I would never run away like that again.

That version of me had been weak, a body prone to getting pushed around and stepped on, but when I saw myself in the mirror now, I did not recognize the old me anymore. I had… changed so much in the past months, to the point that it eluded me how Dad hadn't noticed anything yet, despite all the things I did to mask my changes and my Tinkering.

I wanted to say how it scared me, how I disliked it, but it would be a lie. Why care about shit like femininity when every scar on my skin was a medal. When I grew visibly stronger and stronger and stronger with each day that passed. Each week the weights on my rack increased, and every time I ripped and reforged the muscles in my body to purge every shred of ungainliness and weakness the fire didn't reach.

A small part of me felt a twinge of regret, or maybe guilt. I was changing my body with my powers, but when I looked in the mirror like this, It was hard not to be proud — not to want more, and more, and more – whenever I witnessed the sheer amount of power staring back at me. People looked at me, and sure, they still saw a cripple, but they also saw someone they shouldn't fuck around with.

In a roundabout way that was affirming as fuck, even more than the sight of my muscles shifting beneath the fabric of my shirt as I leaned forward, and how my already struggling sleeves threatened to burst as I flexed my arm. A faint smile broke through my face, and I stepped back from the sink.

I made sure to close my jacket all the way up before leaving the bathroom and sneaking downstairs where I left a quick, scribbled note for Dad, snatched the shopping list I had composed yesterday, donned my shoes, and left the house, huddled into a warm, black beanie and a scarf that doubled to cover up my throat and protect my lower face from the cold air. At 7 AM, the sun had yet to rise, and even though Brockton Bay was usually known for its mild winters, it was shivering cold outside.

The cold itself did not bother me nearly as much as it used to, which was at least one of the scant positive things that had come along with me getting my powers, but it was still somewhat uncomfortable with how light my jacket was. I fished my right running glove from my pocket and spent a good minute trying to wriggle into the stupid thing without damaging it. With only one hand, it's fucking annoying.

I did a few mock warm-up exercises in the yard, and then I finally headed east towards the Boardwalk at a pace that was somewhere between a brisk jog and running.

Before everything, I'd have never dreamt of going jogging, and now that I had picked up the habit, it was pointless. Redundant. Just another part of my life that was taken from me forever, and I wasn't entirely sure if I should hate that. I would never tire. Never experience the burning of strained muscles, and I knew that jogging wouldn't ever do shit for my constitution. Yet, there was just something appealing about running through a nearly deserted city that was still half asleep, feeling the cold wind on your skin, and being alone with your thoughts. It was a routine I picked up, and I kept to it no matter what. Routine was important. It kept me going, made me feel normal, and I knew that normalcy was important to keep me stable and grounded.

I usually stuck to the main roads and always had my pepper spray with me. An insistence from Dad I tended to oblige, even though there wasn't anything that could harm me, and I certainly didn't fear any delusional fucker that thought that a cripple in fancy clothes was a nice target. But I had to check something today, no matter how much it hurt, so it didn't take long for me to pull out my phone and check where I had to go.

I turned away from the main road, following the directions from my phone. Something inside me churned as I neared my target, jogging through side streets and alleys; faint hints of exasperation and annoyance, but I didn't stop. It was right what I was doing.

I slowed down and came to a stop. Then, I reached for the hood of my jacket, and pulled it up, before using my phone to check if the scarf covered my face. Then, I continued on my way, walking up to a single wooden house, not unlike ours. I used my sight to check on the owners from the corners of my eyes as I walked past. Two of them were still sleeping, and a third was sitting where I assumed the bathroom was. There was a fourth, a young person, but I quickly averted my gaze when I noticed him.

I didn't want to look at him, and I didn't need to. He was still alive, and that was all that mattered. The lump in my throat seemed to disagree, but I tried to ignore it as I walked away, pulling out my phone as I fell back into a jog.

By the time I was back on my route, the sky was colored orange. I shrugged my hood down and increased my pace until I was almost running. Trees and houses flew past me, and when I arrived at the bridge that went over Lord Street, I crossed it without slowing down. The sidewalk ended just a block after, and my feet hit the wooden planks of the Boardwalk.

I slowed my pace to what could be considered normal jogging speed as I weaved through the few shopkeepers and other people starting their day. I wasn't even winded, but a sprinting person was bound to catch attention, and I didn't want to alienate the Enforcers keeping the undesirables from Brockton Bay's shining haven for tourists. Not that I would look out of place in my fancy sports garb, but I had no desire to test it out, and I had already made a few experiences of people thinking of me as a thug.

I slowed down once I found a nice spot from where I would have a nice view of the ocean. I pulled my scarf down, and a cigarette found its way into my mouth. I lit it with my lighter and leaned against the railing, just in time to see the sun rise from behind the horizon of waves. Soon, pale sunbeams caressed my face, but it wasn't a gentle feeling. Cold and impersonal, but… not bad. Peaceful.

I closed my eyes to bask in the sunlight, and a smile spread on my face.

By the time I finally decided to leave, shops were about to open, so instead of heading straight home, I decided to stop at the supermarket I always frequented when I was jogging. It was small and cozy, located roughly halfway between my home and the boardwalk, yet distant enough so I didn't have to go anywhere near the scar or stray too much from my usual route.

I didn't have any sort of bags with me, but my shopping list was short.

A tingle ran down my spine as I slowed down and crossed the street, and I couldn't shake the feeling that someone was watching me. I glanced around as I approached the store, but the only other person around was a shabby-looking teenage girl sitting on a bench. She was stick-thin, fully absorbed in whatever she was doing with her phone. My danger sense remained calm, so I decided to shrug the feeling off. After casting one more wary glance around, I tugged down my scarf and entered the store.

As soon as I stepped through the automatic doors, I was hit by a torrent of warm air. It almost felt like running into a brick wall, and I was quick to strip off my beanie and use my teeth to pull off the glove from my hand. I fished out the shopping list I had pocketed earlier and went straight for one of the shopping baskets.

It was still early enough in the morning that the shop was mostly empty, but apart from a few old people and the occasional Joe or Jane that stood in front of the door at 8 AM sharp to be the first one to cash in their discount tokens, it was mostly just the usual people that were here every morning. Familiar faces, even though I had never bothered to learn their names. The young grocery clerk offered me a friendly smile as I brushed past her. I gave her a curt nod.

Almost no one here offered me more than a second glance, and this was why I liked this place. I was a regular, people knew me already; how I looked, that I didn't speak, that I didn't need their pitiful gazes.

The shocking amount of attention I got nowadays was a novel experience. Something I still needed to get used to. Back in the day, no one had ever paid attention to me, but now? Eyes followed me everywhere. Wherever I went, people stared at me. Some with respect, some wary, but mostly just in various shades of sheer, patronizing pity. I could do without the fucking pity, but respect was something I learned to cherish rather quickly. And by now? I couldn't deny just how much I craved it.

Of course, some people were still assholes or just plain idiots, and as I had found just a mere week ago, mocking and needling were something I reacted really badly to nowadays. But I had also found out that it wasn't anything that couldn't be solved by a physical demonstration of Newton's third law, as Mom used to say. In my case, a fist to the face.

Mom had never strictly encouraged violence, but she had never been scared of voicing her opinion loudly. After all, she had run with Lustrum back in the days before feminism became a synonym with castrating men in public. She and Dad had never really spoken much about that chapter of her past, but I knew Mom had never been a saint. She must have done her fair share of things she regretted too. She would have approved putting a boy in his place who thought it fun to pick on a girl struggling with trying on a jacket just because she had only one arm.

Would she have approved her own daughter grabbing a handsome boy with black curls by the collar of his fancy shirt, frail enough for her to break him in half with ease, and give him a headbutt that sent him wobbling backward and into a shelf?

I didn't know, and in all honesty, I didn't want to think about it, but stalking up and down the aisles, awkwardly ferrying goods into my shopping basket with the same hand that held it reminded me of the encounter. I could almost see him sprawled out on the ground before me again. The bedazzled expression on his face, blood running from his ruined nose, and the three blood-smeared incisors shimmering on the ground. That and the pained expression of the blonde and freckled girl that rushed to his side, shooting wary glances in my direction was something I wouldn't forget for quite a while.

After all, that day I learned how my powers feasted on the suffering of others. How hurting others fueled me. I pushed the thoughts away, distracting myself by trying to focus on shopping.

I knew Dad had an important hearing today, and I wanted to cook him something nice to encourage him.

When I had everything I needed, I began to steer back towards the entrance, only to halt again after a few steps. Something held me back, and I frowned in confusion as I gazed down at my already decently filled basket. Was there anything I was still missing? Pre-workout? No, I recalled that I still had half a bottle left at my workshop. My eyes fell on a big shelf filled with a variety of drinks.

"Orange Juice - oh who am I kidding…The booze, idiot. The booze," a woman mumbled from somewhere, barely audible.

"Fuck, yeah, I could go for some beer," a male voice whispered back. I couldn't suppress a small frown. Why were they whispering? We were in a fucking supermarket, and not in a movie theater.

"Eh, beer. T'is just corn soup. Look, they don't even have good brands. or are we talking root beer?"

Someone gagged, and I found myself growing irritated.

What the - I looked around, trying to find the source of the voices. Is someone talking to me?

The aisle seemed empty, but then I caught something from the corner of my eye; a willowy woman standing by the liquor shelf. I turned my head, only to blink in surprise. No one was there. Where had she gone? Had… had I just imagined things?

I frowned again but eventually, I just shook my head and stepped closer to inspect the shelf. I wasn't an alcoholic by any means, especially not after… seeing what it could do to people, yet I found myself drawn towards it. My eyes wandered over the various cans and bottles, and something in me churned in… approval. It was a mute thing, faint to the point I wasn't sure if I was just imagining things.

My eyes fell on an interesting-looking bottle, and I bent forward to inspect it.

"Oh, no no no no no. The fucking Fireball. She is looking at the fucking Fireball. Stop looking there," the female voice whined, and my head snapped around, but again no one but an old lady was shuffling around at the end of the aisle. She caught my glowering gaze and visibly wilted.

I swallowed my blooming guilt as I watched her back away, and activated my sight. Someone had to play games with me, and I really did not need that immature bullshit.

I looked around, and my eyes immediately fell on the three crimson outlines behind the very shelf I was standing in front of. Immature Bullies. I dropped my basket, yanked a bottle of orange juice out of the shelf, and rifled it into my basket. I wanted to reach through the shelf and strangle them where they stood. Drop the shelf on them to make them stop laughing at me. Another bottle followed. Then, I grabbed my basket and marched around the corner, trying to keep my face straight to hide just how much I gritted my teeth.

As it turned out, the three outlines belonged to a bunch of Immaculata students fussing about a bunch of collectible card things displayed on the shelf. I didn't bother nor care to check what exactly. I walked past them without a word, but couldn't resist shooting them a side-eyed glare as I made my way back to the storefront. The fucking assholes didn't even seem to notice it. I wanted to turn around and make them notice me.

I forced myself to continue walking away.

A tiny voice in the back of my mind notified me that the voices had sounded too old to be a bunch of young teenagers as I approached the cash register, but I refused to acknowledge it. I didn't want to deal with any more… craziness today.

The cashier flashed me a smile as I started piling my goods onto the counter. "Good morning, do you want me to bag it for you?"

I simply nodded in response and pulled my wallet from my pocket.

The cashier didn't take offense to my lack of response, and together with the fact that she was able to look me in the face without flinching raised my mood considerably. I watched her quickly pack everything into a big paper bag, paid, and left with a grateful nod.

I had taken three steps towards the entrance when something hit me, the tingle from before, running down my spine like a bunch of spiders crawling beneath my impenetrable skin.

What the-.

I halted. It wasn't my danger sense, more something… instinctual? Something was wrong, and as I looked around with my sight, I quickly realized what it was; There were no people on the streets. I knew it was early in the morning and that most people should be at work since at least a while ago, but Brockton Bay's streets were rarely fully abandoned. Especially not the larger ones. Of course, it did happen occasionally, but usually, there was always someone on the way.

Yet, I could practically taste that something was wrong, and I could feel my body shift immediately, responding to instincts that I didn't even know existed. Something entered my field of vision, wrapped in a melody only I could ever hear. A blob of something marched down the road, suspended in the air and moving quickly despite having no apparent legs.

Something churned inside me, and I felt myself growing nervous. I knew I shouldn't… that I was the bigger monster, but I had… never met one before. And he was coming closer. My fingers were clenched around the handles of my bag, and it took some effort to gently place my bag on the ground against my leg so it didn't fall over, and let go.

Maybe…maybe he would just walk by?

I turned my head to inspect some of the posters on the wall but kept one eye on the entrance. Then, I deactivated my sight before carefully prying the shades loose from my face to not tear the elastic band that kept them stable and secure. They disappeared into my pocket, followed by my hand. With a gentle touch of my finger, I transferred the contents of my pockets into my dimensional bullshit storage and retrieved my phone. I sent a quick message to Dad, that I went grocery shopping and might be a little late.

The automatic doors shifted open, and I almost dropped my phone.

I found myself staring up at a pair of small eyes, framed by a round face with acne-scarred cheeks and hidden behind goggles. The Parahuman cut an imposing figure, a mass of crude riveted metal tall enough that he had to slightly crouch to fit under the doorway. Hot, stinking smoke bellowed out of a spout on his back and as he stepped over the ledge and into the store, rising up to his full height, he dwarfed me by at least a few feet. His metal hands were giant, almost comically.

His power armor, combined with the fact that he used steam as I did should have made the Tinker in me squeal in delight, but all I could do was stare at his hair. It was disgusting; an unwashed, greasy mess tied back into a ponytail. A retch rose in my throat, but I managed to swallow it down. How…just how could anyone do this to their hair. Didn't he have at least a semblance of self-respect?

Our gazes met, and the Parahuman frowned at me. I broke my gaze first, even though it made my guts churn with self-disgust. You are not a coward, I reminded myself and took a small step back. I had to play my part, otherwise, he would get suspicious.

Immediately, the Parahuman reacted. "Don't move a fucking finger, girl." He spoke to me, before striding forwards until he was standing right next to me. Silence had fallen over the area, and even though I didn't look back I knew that everyone had frozen. Probably staring like frightened sheep, but for that, I couldn't blame them. I knew how it was to feel helpless. "Everyone else, I want your cash, your jewels, your valuables. Bitch, open the register. Collect everything and bag it for me."

Of fucking course I have to run straight into a robbery, I thought, turning around to see him point his giant fingers at the nice cashier girl. She looked close to crying, and I found myself growing angry at the sight. I glanced at the Parahuman from the corner of my eyes. He stood close enough that the smell of smoke and water drifted into my nose, carrying the taste of oil and rust… but still far away enough that I would have to throw myself at him to reach his legs.

My danger sense flared, and only the prospect of unmasking myself, of what it would mean for Dad, prevented me from lashing out as giant metal fingers closed around my head. I stilled, hoping that he would mistake my trembles for fear. Then, the Parahuman balked: "If you think of doing something funny, the cripple here will die. Now hurry the fuck up."

I stilled. Oh, don't your dare….DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE …

A growl worked itself free from my throat, but I managed to remain still. Even though I was spitting and foaming on the inside. The audacity, the guts that he dared to use me as a fucking hostage. Oh, how did I want to reach for his tin can arms, tear them apart, and drive my fist into his armored gut over and over and over again. Peel the squid from his shell, mangle him into a bloody pile on the ground, and force him to devour glass shards from my palm like a pet.

I didn't feel bad about losing myself in violent fantasies, even if I were to be in a headspace where I would have actually cared about anything other than beating the offending party to a bloody pulp. They kept me from actually lashing out, and thoughts didn't harm people as much as my fist would.

People reacted quickly, dumping their valuables on the counter, where they were bagged by the nice cashier girl; Watches, phones, and wallets, as well as the contents of her register, wandered into a big plastic bag, all the while tears were streaming down her cheeks. A part of me wanted to scream at her for being such a pathetic wimp, but there was also a larger part of me that wanted to hug her, to tell her that everything would be well… to kiss her and hold her safe?

I mentally shook my head; Where had that come from?

A second bag landed on the counter, filled with canned food and what little medicine the store had. The Parahuman's fingers around my skull relaxed. Then, they suddenly disappeared, and the Parahuman approached the counter with thundering steps. The nice cashier backed away until her back was pressed against the shelf behind her. She trembled, but the Parahuman just yanked the bags from the counter and turned to leave.

As soon as he had left the store, the Parahuman broke into a sprint. Yeah, run you Bastard, I mentally spat as I watched him cross the street and disappear into an alley. Only when he was almost out of my sight range did I leave the store, hand clenched around my shopping bag and brushing off any calls and questions about my well-being.

I crossed the street and headed into the next alley instead of following him head-on. My mind was filled with seething anger, but I still had enough self-awareness to know that people from the store might see me running directly after him and think of me as an accomplice or a Parahuman at worst.

As soon as I was out of sight of everyone, I broke into a sprint. There were some loose pieces of glass around me, broken bottles and other things dumped into trash cans, onto flat roofs, and into the dark, abandoned corners. It wasn't nearly enough, but it would do to obscure my identity. I sang it towards me, tearing apart bottles until I was surrounded by a small cloud of glass shards. They rearranged, creating a light shield of colorful glass shards over my face, before creeping into my sleeve. They were razor-sharp, yet didn't even nick the tight fabric of my running sweater and jacket as they bulked together to mirror the shape of my organic arm.

Last edited:
A Mask in the Dark
Hey guys. The new chapters take a bit longer than expected (unsurprisingly) but I have a few things to say. First, I changed the name of the story on Spacebattles from "A Vacant Throne" to "Crimson Shards on a Vacant Throne", and once I figure out how to do that here I'll do that as well. Turns out that there already is a story on Royal Road with a similar name, so I wanted to try and distance myself more from it.

I also managed to secure myself a little corner on the Gaylor Discord called pastas-pasta-poetry, if anyone wants to come over for a visit. Anyway, here is a little canon interlude I came up with a while ago. Couldn't find a place for it in the story yet, so I'll just drop it here.

The grip of the little snub-nose revolver felt pleasantly warm to her hand, its weight almost unnoticeable. She looked down the barrel at the unsuspecting man snoring in his bed. The room was dark, yet the moonlight falling through the window was enough to outline his thin frame and balding hair.

It would be so easy. One bullet – two to be sure– and it would be over before anyone could react. He'd never be able to reach for the shotgun under his bed. It would push her over the edge for good.

The woman had done the same thing so many times, and this one wouldn't even be a bad death. Quick and painless, which couldn't be said for most people she had killed.

Without lowering the gun, she reached up with her other hand and her fingers found the patch of rough skin on her cheek beneath her mask. Instinctively, she began following it with her fingers – up to the eye, and down to her jaw.

It would be better than what she'd done to the pig she had called Father so many years ago, wouldn't it?

The man shifted restlessly. He stopped snoring and mumbled something, and after making sure that he was still asleep, the woman stepped closer to listen. Her eyes were drawn to the pair of glasses on the nightstand, sparkling faintly in the moonlight.

"–nette," the man mumbled.

The woman lowered her gun and after one last glance around the room, she approached the lone wallet on the dresser. It was thin, and when she looked inside, it was almost empty. That too reminded her of her father, and if this room had been littered with empty cans and bottles, and the stench of alcohol, she might have slit his throat weeks ago.

She resented this man, even though she wanted to deny it. But instead of putting a bullet through his brain, all she did was pull some notes from her pocket and stuff them into the wallet before putting the gun back into the drawer she had taken it from.

The woman left the room to the sound of its inhabitant once more snoring haplessly and approached the door on the other side of the hallway. Even before she entered and closed the door behind her, she could already hear her.

Her "mistress". Laughable.

She approached the bed in the corner of the room with careful steps. Her eyes fell on the discarded shape of a plushie on the ground, and she picked it up before staring down at the girl crying into her blankets.

She had changed a lot, hadn't she? The soft and ugly brat she'd carried out of that burning cesspit of a school had turned hard. Strong shoulders and bulging muscles that – together with the scars crisscrossing over pale skin – made her look a far cry from the scared and pathetic frog she had first seen down in that smoke-filled basement. She looked interesting now, worth staring at.

And yet, for all your newfound strength, the woman thought as a warm and fuzzy feeling spread on her chest, All it takes is a little push and that cardhouse of yours will collapse, Taylor Hebert. Just look at you, mewling like a little baby. My little Shatterbird is so powerful, and yet here I stand, because you are weak. I cannot kill you, but I can take away everything you care about, "mistress", and you can't stop me…

A light, hesitant knock on the door tore the woman from her thoughts. "Taylor, sweetie?" The father's hesitant, drowsy voice drifted into the room.

…not when you can't even stop yourself, she thought, and with a jerking motion, she ripped the Narwhal plushie away from her chest and into the twitching arm of the sleeping girl. The sobbing ceased immediately.

The father knocked again, followed by the creak of the door handle. With a silent curse, the woman whirled around and crossed the small room with long steps. She tried to step as lightly as she could, and she was good at being silent, but this rotting house that reminded her too much of her own childhood tested her limits.

She was barely past the desk when the door began to swing open, and with another silent curse, she dove into the wardrobe and pulled the door shut behind her.

There, she waited; hand on her knife, and holding her breath. She couldn't help but think as she sat there in the darkness, crammed against clothes and boxes, that this too felt all too familiar.

Armsmaster and the Starfall Collegium, part 1
A small plot-bunny short story series dedicated to the dashing YseultNott as a thank-you for the awesome header. It will feature Colin and Kensei embarking on a short, magical adventure between the worlds. Hope ya guys enjoy it, and while it gives another peek into Boston, obviously none of this is canon.

Edit: Fixed some typos and formating issues.

Water sloshed around Colin's feet as he stomped forward, grip tight around his halberd. A rapid fire of whining, high-pitched sounds, and explosions shook the air, but he ignored them as he ignored the constant buzz of his armband.

– Thrillseeker down – Butoh down – Saurian deceased…

Legend zipped past him, disappearing over one of the rows of brownstone houses so iconic for Boston.

– Woebegone down – Acoustic deceased – Adamant deceased…

The noise in the distance grew louder, a cacophony of gunfire, lasers, and cracking sounds accompanied by the endless ripple of rain. Something hit his leg, and when Colin looked down, there was a corpse floating upside down in the brackish water. A young girl –or what was left of her – clad in a colorful, feather-studded costume decorated with glittering fake gems.

She couldn't be older than 13

"Fuck," one of his companions – the girl with the kabuki mask – cursed under her breath.

Colin looked over his shoulder. She hadn't stopped, but her fingers were clenched around the grip of her ornate katana. A local villain, if he remembered correctly. Also a minor, even if it was harder to discern due to her body type.

– Chubster down – Good Neighbor deceased – Reaver down…

"We are getting close," Colin spoke. "Prepare yourself."

Ending up with this ragtag group of local capes hadn't been the plan. Initially, Colin had led his own team, but when Leviathan had blitzed through the bridges crossing the river Charles, he had been cut off. Now he was stuck here, coordinating a bunch of mostly unknown capes in a group that primarily consisted of close combat powers, cursing the Tinker in himself that he had wasted too much space on his gear with non-combat movement options.

"Ready when you are," the massive woman next to him – Boilerplate – drawled. A local independent heroine, if he remembered correctly. "Let's knuckle this feck-shite back where he came from."

– Reaver deceased – Reaver active –

A pitched screech emerged from the bracelet, followed by Dragon's synthesized voice. "Leviathan trapped at CD5. Attention. Airstrike incoming. Attention. Airstrike incoming. CD5. Airstrike in 5…4…"

The rumbling in the sky turned down any other noise in the city. Colin looked up. The ship in the sky slowly turned, and for a split moment, he could see the distorted reflection of countless capes crowding at the deck railing.

…3…2

The golden shield around the USS Constitution popped out of existence…

…1

…and then the sky exploded.

Katwoom. Katwoom.

The ground buckled and the world turned white, the light so unbearable that even Colin's tinted visor was not enough to block out the sheer brightness – unable to adjust. He buried his face in his armpit to shield his eyes and sank on his knees to not fall over.

Katwoom. Katwoom.

He had read the file before the battle. He knew what Ironsides' ship was packing – had been as shocked as the entire Boston Protectorate, what the elusive Tinker group had gotten their hands on, and what had been dangling in front of their noses the entire time. Sphere, Toxbox tech, String Theory mass drivers…it was nothing but insane.

Katwoom. Katwoom.

The brightness faded and the shaking stopped, but when Armsmaster dared to look again, the ship hadn't stopped firing. Now, it was a rain of missiles, lasers, guns, and countless capes shooting whatever they had down at a giant crater in the ground. The ship was noticeably more damaged than before, and he realized that whatever they were unleashing, it tore their own ship apart in the process.

The armband blared again. Attention. Leviathan free. Now moving towards…

A row of houses ahead was suddenly pulverized. A red brick whizzed past Colin's head.

"It comes," he screamed. Immediately, capes all around him scrambled to their feet from where they had dove into cover.

Metal blinked in the corner of his eyes as Kabuki Girl drew her blade and raised it into the sky. "Banzaaaaaai!" She screamed over the chaos. "Kyūshū no Eikō!"

Not even a handful of others picked up on her warcry. Yakuza.

Another row of houses disappeared in a shower of debris.

Glass shards rose out of the muddy water, forming a thick shield ahead of them. Colin didn't have to check his display to know. Butcher was here. He looked up, finding her hovering above them on a platform of glass together with three other capes, hefting a massive, bellowing minigun.

Other forcefields popped into existence ahead of them, followed by a row of metal spikes bursting through the concrete, forming a spiked barrier ahead. Kaiser.

Alexandria soared through the sky, dive-bombing down between the houses. Something crashed. The wall in front of them exploded, ejecting her again. The Triumvirate member impacted the shield, glancing off and to the side as she got flung away.

Colin shouted into his comm. "Engaging Leviathan at CD–"

The remains of the wall bulged outward, and then Leviathan smashed through the forcefields. He was among them in a heartbeat, bisecting a cape with a lazy swipe of his tail. Ichor dripped from the wounds and craters in his body. Half his head was missing, yet he seemed utterly unfazed as he lashed out with his claws against another cape, which simply vanished in a cloud of black smoke.

Colin used the opening, responding with a flurry of slices with his Nanothorn. The blade cut through Leviathan's limb like butter, before scraping a significant gouge into its flank.

Kabuki Girl jumped beside him, burying her katana into the fresh wound. The blade was coated in a wispy greenish sheen, but it barely penetrated an inch before it halted as if meeting a solid steel plate.

Leviathan twisted, pulling the surprised teenage villain with it and directly into a sizzling laser beam. She screamed as it tore through her stylized samurai armor and into her flesh, a high-pitched wail. Yet, she held onto her blade, only to get caught a heartbeat later by one of Leviathan's claws that all but gutted her.

The scream cut off immediately. His guts rumbled. Even with the rain, the smell of charred flesh was uncomfortably intense, but Colin only had a moment to internally curse Ethan and his stupid group BBQ the previous day before Kabuki Girl's body smashed into him, flinging them both backward.

Water sloshed together over Colin's head, and even though disorientated, he managed to stifle the groan rising in his throat. A quick check told him that his gear was still undamaged and his injuries barely superficial. The dampeners of his armor had absorbed most of the force, which couldn't be said for Kabuki Girl.

He couldn't see anything, but he could feel her weight on him, and when he moved to push her corpse away so he could sit up, he could feel that it was twisted and bent in a way it shouldn't be.

Colin's head broke the surface of the water as he sat up and looked around. There was chaos everywhere, barely 10 feet away the battle still raged, and then metal spikes slammed into Leviathan's side, blocking Colin's view of the battlefield.

When he looked up, he could see Kaiser standing on Butcher's glass platform, stabilized by one of her arms wrapped around his midriff as she dodged Leviathan's water echo. Her minigun was nowhere to be seen.

"Colin? Colin! Are you alright?" Dragon's panicked voice spoke into his ear.

He managed to free one of his hands and tapped the side of his helmet. "I am fine. No worries."

"Oh great, I–" The voice suddenly broke off, followed by a series of flaring damage alarms on his visor. Shit, he thought. The water had fried his communication transmitter.

Suddenly, Kabuki Girl twitched in his grip, and he looked down to check on her. She should be dead. Her wounds were grievous, with one arm almost torn off at its hinges and the girl was all but disemboweled. Yet, in front of his eyes, her wounds were rapidly closing. A regeneration brute?

Colin got up on his knees, carefully keeping her head over water. He didn't have time. He had come here with a plan. The EMP was still working, but Butcher was still on the field. Barely a few dozen feet away, unleashing hurricanes of razor-sharp glass shards at Leviathan.

She wasn't holding back, and neither did she lack material nor had to care about collateral damage. Yet, the sheer tsunami of shattered glass, as terrifying as it looked like, proved useless against Leviathan. Shards scraped away at his glistening scales, not even leaving a scratch. Javelins hurled with a force that left the air cracking in their wake shattered against its skin, and Leviathan knocked her shields aside as if they were made from cardboard.
The plan had been simple. Lure Leviathan away, or use the EMP to disable armbands and sacrifice a few Villains no one would miss anyway, and he'd be able to step in, and face the beast on his own.

Colin knew that trying to duel Leviathan was a bad idea, even by the reckless standards of Parahumans. Yet, he had been working towards this restlessly. His combat prediction software was spotless, fed by every encounter – every recording of the city killer, and there wasn't a material in the world his Nanothorn couldn't slice.

With his comm gone, all that was left was to press the button on his wrist…and he couldn't. A possibly once-in-a-lifetime opportunity wasted because of the presence of a simple, unstable villain…and the danger if she died. Who would inherit the Butcher if she got killed by Leviathan? It was thoughts like this that kept Colin from acting.

And yet, as he looked down at the battered girl in his arms – dirt, and her blood coating his armor – he realized that this wasn't the only reason why he hesitated.

Leviathan slammed through the metal barrier, and one intact glowing green orb in an otherwise oozing crater of a face turned to look him straight in the eye. Cold. Inhuman. Indifferent.

Colin stood up, slinging the unconscious girl over his shoulder. He raised his hand, calling his halberd back into his hand. A twitch of the eye activated his combat algorithm, a flick of his thumb the nano thorn.

So this is it, he thought. My chance….or a last act of defiance.

Leviathan leaped, and Colin jumped into action. Something small hurled through the air, missing him by just an inch as he easily dodged a clawed strike, and lashed out to plunge his halberd into the monster's last remaining eye.

Grenade? Shit!

The last thing Colin saw before the world around him turned white was Leviathan's dripping, ruined face, and even without a mouth, he swore that Leviathan laughed at him. Yet, as something pulled him away and his consciousness faded into nothingness, he had the impression that someone – something – watched him and that he was safe.

The last thing he saw was the flashing image of a rotting, blue-eyed crow staring at him, and a sea of stars filled with rainbows.

Last edited:
Book 1: Chapter 3

My feet were all but flying over potholes and frozen puddles of water as I followed the Parahuman through the maze of back alleys separating Lord Street from all the places you shouldn't wander alone. I had barely stopped long enough to stash my groceries in the maintenance hatch of a rusty AC unit, shed my expensive workout clothes for a thin black and red bodysuit, and donned the armored gas mask I was always carrying in my interdimensional bullshit storage. Given that I could pull my shoes and clothes directly into it with a mere touch of my finger, it had only taken a few seconds. Yet, it had been enough for Greasecan to be near the edge of my sight, and when I finally turned to step out of the alley I had ducked into to change, the oddly shaped blob of crimson veins disappeared like a snuffed-out candle.

I wasn't too concerned about that. He had been moving in a straight line, and even if he was surprisingly fast for a piece of garbage on two legs, I was confident that tracking him down was easy enough once I was in the air and had access to the full scope of my mobility.
I knew that I should take him in because he was a criminal. A bully.

I knew that I should confront him because he was a villain and a criminal, but right now, I found it hard to care because all I wanted was to tear him a second asshole.

I tried to take a deep breath, but it quickly devolved into jagged bristling as I glared at the wall. Dirty, barren concrete, slimy and coated in a faint layer of frost. It was covered in senseless scribbles and more or less artistic graffiti. One caught my eye, a cute scribble of a cartoon dog, tail wagging and a panting tongue dangling from his open mouth.

He had humiliated me. Used me as a fucking hostage in a grocery robbery. He had made the cripple girl the fucking laughingstock of everyone. Was fate mocking me? Why did this have to happen to me? Didn't I deserve a single fucking day where I…everything could just be normal?

My morning was ruined thanks to my god-fucking nightmares. A nice jog and the desire to do something nice for Dad ended with me being humiliated and victim of the day to some disgusting tin-can shithead fuckface robbing grocery stores for a living. Everything just kept adding up, and up and up.

Deep within, I knew I should feel bad about these thoughts, but right now I just did not fucking care. It was too much. Just too much, and even if it made me act like a –

"Dog", my mind whispered – snickered at me. A furious growl rolled out of my throat. My fist twitched and a ripple ran up my arm. Suddenly, the fabric of my sleeve was uncomfortably tight, and I forced myself to back off a little. Ice groaned below my feet, and I–

The dog was laughing at me.

I managed to catch my fist just before it crashed into the wall, forcing my trembling fist to still barely an inch away from the wall as I wrestled with the urge to wipe him from oblivion. To carve my fingers through the concrete, tear, punch, and shatter until the whole fucking wall was gone.

No, no. This was irrational. I had to calm down. Had to breathe and–

Oh, fuck that!

I snarled and stomped down. Ice and crumbling pavement cracked and buckled below my heel. I stomped again, putting more power, more finality into the blow. The pavement shattered with a splintering sound, and little bits of debris sprayed through the air. Cathartic. It felt good, and with a silent roar, I brought my foot down again and again and again, until I was standing in a small crater, panting, and heaving not from exertion but pure adrenaline.

Finally, I clenched my fists and took a few deep breaths to try and force the churning adrenaline down. Fucking Ice. I spat into the crater and stepped over it without a second glance.

I spent a few minutes pacing, waiting until I had gathered myself well enough before I left the alley, followed by a shimmering trail of glass. It wasn't nearly enough to lift me up, but it was better than nothing. I made sure to check for civilians before I stepped onto the street. I was a cape now, which meant people would pay attention. Thankfully, there weren't many people on the street, but I could feel the gazes of those around me.

I could sense the music shift around them, from the depths of their pockets and into their hands but I chose to ignore them as I hurried into the next alley and out of sight again. Something bigger called for me, and I let myself be guided by my song as I delved deeper into the maze of alleys hidden behind the pretty facades of the main streets.

Even with my cranky mood and the brooding anger in my gut, I felt a smile tug at my lips as I turned around a corner and came to a halt in front of my prize.

A pair of large, almost industrial-sized glass containers smiled at me from their little spot, safely nestled away from any prying eyes on the main street. They sang to me, eager and happy. A song about glass packed to the brim, confined and trapped. A desire to be set free, to join me, help me, protect me, and sing with me.

The glass was my friend, and I gladly obeyed its wish.

Even though I didn't have to, I spread my arms, both in glass and flesh, like a conductor at a concert. Then, I unleashed my song. It wasn't a trickling melody or a harmonic hymn but a sonic blast tearing into the container, wrapping itself like a prison around my friends. Like an unstoppable tsunami that rippled through the ocean.

The flimsy containers exploded, torn apart by a flood of splintering glass tearing through the pathetic plastic that sought to keep them trapped. It couldn't withstand the might of my song, and a spark of happiness rose in me as I watched my friends rise for me. As destructive as my powers were, they were simply too beautiful.

They rose into the sky, a single vaguely ball-shaped mass of grinding glass in all forms and shapes. It looked kinda ugly, and a few dissonant notes were enough to shatter it into a cloud of shimmering beauty above my head. Bottles, jars, and plates tore each other into shimmering razor-sharp, jagged stars. A swirling galaxy of color wrapped itself around me, silent and surrounding me from all sides, filtering and breaking the little sunlight that fell in from above.

I took more control of some shards around me, forming a flowing mantle that hugged my body. More shards began assembling around my head, forming a jagged crown while others formed thin layers of colorful shards covering the bare skin of my head to mask my scars. As much as the notion of hiding them disgusted me, they were simply too recognizable.

I raised my left arm and swapped the delicate glass fingers of my hand for a jagged, spiky claw that all but begged to be raked across someone's face. Then, I stepped on the slab of shards assembling in front of me, constantly shifting, yet remaining steady below my feet as they carried me into the air. Of course, I didn't technically need the slab, but I found it to be more comfortable.

Flying was great. It was hard to describe why, but the first time I had taken to the skies, something had awakened in me, something as basic and instinctual as could be. I needed it – craved it – like my body's need to breathe. The sun and wind on my skin, the unboundedness from being removed from the shackles of earth. The sheer freedom…It gave me peace in a way few things could nowadays.

It made me feel powerful, and even the lurching beast in my subconscious agreed with that. Show them your might, it whispered to me. Show them your beauty. Become Brockton Bays' vitreous angel of destruction. Rise and dominate. Shine and shatter.

Even now, as I surged through alleys and over rooftops, careful to not draw unwanted attention or trigger the radar for flying capes the PRT was supposed to have, this… desire… in me nagged at my thoughts. It was always in the back, always second to my anger, and everything else I was aware of that made up my mind. Like a slow push urging me to display… might. To yearn for respect. To create a legacy.

I wanted to destroy the one who had humiliated me. I wanted to show him what I was truly capable of. Dominate him. Bury him under a city's worth of glass. I wanted to show everyone what I could do. Yet, I didn't, and even when I finally caught sight of him again, I simply chose to slowly follow him at a distance even though every inch of my body wanted to strangle him.

There were simply too many people around. People who could get hurt.

With a sigh, I landed on a rooftop. Gravel crunched below my feet as I carefully stepped forward toward the edge and knelt down to lower my profile. I stayed close to a chimney, and in an attempt to further blend in at least somewhat with my surroundings, I gathered what I had on darker or dirty shards and brought them around me. I wasn't sure how effective it was in broad daylight, but at least it wouldn't make me stand out like a Christmas tree. On the street below, Greasecan had stopped in front of a rusty chainlink fence, and I took the opportunity to look around.

My building wasn't tall, a squat three-story apartment block. Yet, I could see the city unfold before me. Towards Lord Street and Downtown, the buildings rose higher and higher, peaking at the high-rise towers and the Medhall building ruling the skyline in the far distance. But here, at the fringes of the residential area, the buildings were as squat as the one I stood on, giving me a more or less unimpeded view over the city. I couldn't see my home from here, nor the smoking ruins of fucking Winslow.

Big, blocky buildings greeted me from across the road, illuminated by the rising sun and covered in a blanket of fluffy white. It was a pretty sight, yet my stomach rumbled in disgust. I gritted my teeth, and it took me a moment to notice that I had involuntarily clenched my fists again. My Dad had grown up here and worked – wasted all of his life. I loathed the place, a shitstain on this shitstain of a city. An ulcer that took and took and took from Dad, leaving him a drained-out shell, a hollow husk of the man I used to know, before spitting him out. Discarding him like a piece of trash.

Just looking at this place made me angry. It was a shame that the Winslow Torcher hadn't burned it to the ground too, and a small part of me hoped they wouldn't catch them long enough to do it. I would have done it myself if I could afford not to care about the consequences.

I couldn't resist spitting on the ground. Stones creaked below my sole as I dug my feet into the roof, but I resisted slamming my heel down. But the building I was on was inhabited. There were people below me, and I didn't want to accidentally punt a hole into their home. I could see them, going on with their daily lives as if they had no care in the world.

Like I should.

Down on the street, my target finally seemed to lose his temper with the fence. I watched as his cartoonishly large hands tore through the thin mesh, tearing it to pieces as he ripped a hole large enough for his body to squeeze through. I noted that he had gotten rid of his ill-gotten gains at some point along the way.

There were two figures in the alley with him; a stocky dark-skinned man who was clearly bored and a young woman with short black hair who I could only describe as a "lesbian punk bouncer" in my head. She was the only one of the duo who seemed to be dressed inappropriately for the weather, wearing a sleeveless vest showcasing muscular arms that seemed positively gigantic on her otherwise slender frame. I couldn't make out too many more details from my position but from what I could tell, the cold didn't seem to bother her that much.

Oddly enough, the duo didn't seem to bother Greasecan in the slightest and I watched with growing incredulity as he simply stomped past them and through the hole he had torn into the fence without so much as sparing them a glance. Despite the woman – who clearly was the less stoic of the two – giving him the finger as he briefly looked in her direction.

The man ignored me, but the woman looked up when I surged over them. She raised her arms, and I couldn't help but let my gaze linger. There was something entrancing about seeing the play of her massive—

…Was she trying to shoo me away? Her raised hands flicked at the wrist, her face a mask of disappointed judgment.

Fucker. The thought was sudden, subconscious. Nice guns though. Something moved in my guts as I passed the remains of the chainlink fence, and I couldn't tell if it was anger, excitement, or the feeling that I was about to make a big mistake.

Entering the docks was almost like entering a new world. The noise of the city, the constant background chatter and clatter of cars and people simply faded away behind me, replaced by an eerie silence and steadily accumulating neglect as I surfed into the not-so-proud landmark of Brockton Bay's decline. Blocky buildings and towering warehouses rose around me, and there was no way I could miss the steep decline in quality the further I went.

There were nicer areas in the docks, but I had been here often enough to know that most buildings were just decrepit shells. It was a place for the hopeless, ruled by the gangs. Usually, the only people you would find here were criminals and prostitutes, or the various druggies and destitute that used the abandoned buildings as shelter. A fitting place for the oversized trash can on legs to hide.

Even without my sight, it was easy to discern which buildings were inhabited and which weren't. Most buildings in the area lacked everything from water to basic power, and the squatters had done their best to insulate them against the cold. Tapestries of cloth and rags had been stuffed into the gaps of intact windows, and the broken ones were sealed by cardboard and rotting wood. A makeshift pipe construction poked out of one building, spewing stinking smoke into the air.

No one was outside, the faint layer of almost-white snow on the street unmarred. It made the place look almost pure, but when I slowed down, the scent of stale piss and garbage stuffed itself up my nose.

My face twisted as I looked around and scanned the buildings, inspecting them for life. There were surprisingly few people around, no more than a dozen at most. I could see them hiding inside, huddled around whatever, or cramming together inside shabby apartments.

They could go fuck themselves and die for all I care, I tried to tell myself. It would be mutual. They didn't care for me either. It wasn't my problem. They were pathetic losers. Backstabbing criminals. They would take my help, and it would turn out just like with Dad. I would pour my life into theirs, and they would nod and smile, call me a hero…and drop me as soon as it got inconvenient. They didn't deserve my pity, but…

…but why did I feel so sorry about it?

Why did I feel encouraged by these thoughts?

A tingle ran down my spine, and when I turned around, I stared right into the face of a man watching me from behind a window. Stained, dirty glass. Little rectangular pieces framed by metal struts. An old, withered face with sad eyes framed by a shaggy salt and pepper beard. I met his eyes, and I could feel a wave of burning shame boil over me. My cheeks heated, and I averted my gaze. I couldn't…I thought…

I thought badly of them, even though I knew better. I know I wasn't wrong about it, but…it wasn't fair. I was a monster and murderer. Why did he look at me like I was the most beautiful being in the world? Why did I make someone with such sad eyes smile? How could there be such kindness in a man like this, towards a stranger?

My hand rose almost on its own. Glass shards assembled on my palm, grinding together…and then I sang to them. Sang, and formed and twisted and shaped, altered and adjusted colors and composition. I floated up to the old man's window, and surprisingly he didn't flinch away. Carefully, I placed the delicate flower on the windowsill and fled, refusing to meet his eyes, surging upwards and over the warehouse roof as fast as I could.

Emotions bubbled and boiled in my guts; anger, shame, desperation, annoyance, amusement. A violent maelstrom of emotions that were mine, but somehow they almost weren't. I refused to think about it, to think about the man and the story he might have to tell me. Instead, I focussed on the formless blob of veins currently ambling below me.

I clenched my fist and drew a long, shuddering breath. My gaze remained locked on my prey as I took all of my thoughts and emotions, and slammed down on them, distracting myself by focusing on the smoldering pot of anger in my guts. The beast inside me that urged me to hurt and dominate.

It was shockingly easy. Easier than having to deal with the guilt, the weakness, and the emotional crap. There was no one around but me and him. I didn't have to hold back anymore. I forced myself to relax. Then, I started breathing. Focusing on the soothing music around me and breathing the anger out of me as I had practiced countless times. Three windows shattered before I managed to visualize my checklist.

Take a deep breath and pause.

Recognize your emotions.

Challenge your thoughts.

Choose your response.

Self-compassion.

I could almost hear Miss Johnson's soft voice as I recited the list in my mind, accompanied by the smell of ancient books and the soft leather of her couch.

I was angry. So very angry…but why? Why was I so angry? Why did I want to hurt someone so desperately? I wanted Greasecan to apologize to the nice cashier girl. I wanted to bring him in because it was the right thing to do. Because he was a criminal. Because I wanted to redeem myself.

So why did I want to humiliate him? Why did I want to hurt him… break him piece by piece? Peel him from his armor like a chestnut, and strip him from everything he cherished before mangling and crushing him like an empty can? Why did I have these violent fantasies, these…foreign things in me?

I am in control of my actions, I told myself, but was I truly?

Just what the fuck was wrong with me?

I didn't know.

I just didn't know.

I will take him in, I swore to myself, and I won't do it because I want to break every bone in his body. I'm going to do it because it's the right thing to do.

And it was about fucking time.

I lowered myself down behind Greasecan, keeping all glass but that of my costume out of sight. Once my feet touched the ground, I lifted my organic hand above my head and snapped my fingers once.

A glass bottle on the floor next to me exploded like a shrapnel grenade. Splinters of glass sprayed everywhere but I ignored those who doused me. They couldn't harm me anyway.

Greasecan whirled around, giant fists raised like a boxer, his face a startled grimace of hostility. I could tell from a single glance that his stance was pathetic. "Wha– hey. Who the fuck are you, clown? What do you want from me?"

Wash your mouth with bleach, I thought, but I didn't speak up.

"Why use bleach when you can just tear out his tongue," my mind whispered to me. I tried to ignore it. "Kill him. Make him pay. He deserves it."

"I already told you fuckfaces where you can shove your–" Greasecan fell silent, and his eyes widened. "Wait…you're with them, aren't you? The fuck do you want from me?"

I shook my head, not trusting myself to form the words without screaming. What the hell was he talking about?

"Then why are you glaring at me like that? You–" Greasecan fell silent again, and most of the tension seemed to leave his body at once. Yet, he didn't drop his guard. A soft noise began to emanate from him, and it took me a moment to realize that it was laughter.

The bastard was laughing at me. My vision snapped into a deep shade of red but I managed to restrain myself. Barely. His next words, though, were like an ice pick into my brain.

"No way! You're that steroid cripple chick from the store," Greasecan snorted. "I can't believe it. Look, it was nothing personal. Really. Why don't you turn your pretty ass back around, fuck off back to your gym, and if you meet her, tell the trenchcoat bitch that the next asshole she sends for me will get a bolt through their head. I don't want anything to do with you freaks."

"No," I growled at him. It was as if his words dug directly into my skull, together with a vice that was squeezing tight around my heart. He had recognized me. He was a villain. What if he tracked me down, or followed me home? What if he found Dad, and –

No, I had to end this, and I had to end it now.

"No? Girl, what are you going to do? Throw bottles at me?" Trainwreck said, suddenly dead serious. He trained his hand on me, and my danger sense tingled. I noticed a series of small holes in his palm. "Look, kid. Fuck off. Just go home. We don't have to do this, and have you ever even been in a real fight? I don't want to hurt you but–"

His words were cut off by a tendril of tightly packed glass pouncing through an empty window frame and right into the side of his face. He stumbled, swaying his hand wildly in my direction. My danger sense flared before I heard the mechanical 'plop', and I twisted where I stood. Moving sideways, I kicked myself off the wall and into a cartwheel that sent me surging through the air and onto the other side of the alley.

Just a split second later, thick metal bolts embedded themselves in a messy spray along the wall where I had just stood. Most of them wouldn't have even hit me.

The tendril retracted, only to slam into Greasecan's armored back. This time, he barely swayed. He began charging at me, raising his other hand to fire a second volley of bolts at me. They were much better aimed, but I dodged them with ease. Our eyes met as I raised my hand again.

I snapped my fingers.

Greasecan's charge stopped as if someone had cut the strings of a puppet. Carried by his momentum, his now immobile suit fell forward. He tumbled a good five feet, ending right at my waiting feet, and I had to quash down the urge to place my feet on his smeary cheek and step over him.

Yet, I couldn't hide my triumphant smile, and I didn't want to. So many juicy electronics. So many delicate parts. Torn apart by a single hum of my voice. I'd call it a shame if it wasn't so satisfying.

"You BITCH," Trainwreck screamed as I stepped around him, and began peeling him from his suit using my strength and my reshaping power. "What did you do?"

He kept wiggling and struggling, even as I pulled his main body free from the ruins of his suit and lifted him up by his throat. He looked…weird. Almost like a slug. There was a weird symbol on his chest, but as I moved to inspect it, he spat into my face.

I dropped him immediately, kicking him in the side with my boot. He screamed in pain and I reeled back immediately, looking at him with my sight for internal injuries. I…hadn't meant to do that. Why did I do that? I opened my mouth to apologize, but instead, I knelt down and reached for my belt.

My mind was a mess. The rush from hurting him and my guilt for lashing out fought a bitter battle inside me, mixed with the confusion of what to do now.

"You idiot." Greasecan wheezed through gritted teeth. He was still struggling in my grip, but his voice had lost its anger. He sounded resigned. "Please, just listen. I'm –"

I clamped my glassy hand over his mouth, shedding some shards to gag him. My first cape fight…and it was more akin to an execution. I didn't know how to feel about it. My gaze drifted to my squirming prey. How would I even restrain him? I didn't want to show myself to the heroes. Of course, I had bought some zip ties for occasions like this, but how would I even –

Something hot surged past my cheek, interrupting my train of thought, followed by a high-pitched crack that rang in my eardrums.

Disoriented, I shook my head. Greasecan jerked in my grip. I looked down, and –

Gaunt fingers closed around my face, choking me and digging into my mouth as acid bile ran down my throat. I screamed and screamed and screamed, until they let go, leaving crimson trails on my wet cheeks.

The memory faded as quickly as it had appeared. Blinking, I stared down at my hands. My wet hands. Why was there so much red?

Why was there blood everywhere?

"She is totally unresponsive. Miss Shen, please do something."

"What am I supposed to do?"

"How am I supposed to know? It's why I pay you, after all. To do things I can't do. Use your motherly charms or something."

The world around me drowned in heavy fog. My thoughts were sluggish. There were hands on my shoulder, voices in my ear, but I barely understood what they said. It didn't matter. The wound mattered. It just didn't stop bleeding, no matter how hard I pressed down. No, wait…I had filled it with sand to stop the bleeding. Clogged veins and the nicked artery...I just didn't know what else to do. It was gone now, as was the body below my hands. I didn't know why.

"Motherly charms? Are you kidding me? Are you fucking kidding me? Do I look to you like I know what that is?

"I don't know. Just do something."

The drone? Where was the drone? No...I had destroyed it. My song couldn't reach it. Not until I threw the javelin. I kept staring at my bloody hands, disregarding the glass shifting below my knees. There was an odd sensation on my cheek, but I disregarded it. Hands moved into my field of vision, holding a wet towel. I slapped them away.

Then someone grabbed my hair, and before I could react, the world grew cold.

Holy motherfucking assholes in hell cold!

Clarity hit me like a sledgehammer to the face. I flailed and twitched, gasping for air, but all that filled my lungs was cold, cold, cold water. My flailing hand caught onto a cold rim, and I yanked my head out of the water, coughing and spitting from every orifice.

"Miss Shen, when I asked you to use your motherly charms I envisioned something more…gentle."

Someone had dunked my head in a barrel of water.

Someone had fucking dunked me in a fucking barrel of water.

I howled in rage as I stumbled to my feet, looking around for something to smash. Then my stomach churned and I fell to my knees as I proceeded to vomit my guts out. Only now did I notice just how cold I was. The thin fabric of my bodysuit did nothing against the icy air.

"Well, it's working, Boss. isn't it," the female voice muttered. "Wa– careful! Supe looks like she can crunch your bones like paper. "

"Well yes," the other voice – a man – replied rather drily. "Thank you very much for raising this to my awareness, Miss Shen. I wouldn't have believed it otherwise. Oh...my, look how she shivers."

Something warm draped around my shoulders, and I instinctively reached for it with shivering fingers as I tried to blink the water from my eyes. My fingers met silken fabric, and I pulled it closer around me. Holy fucking hell did I suddenly feel cold.

Disoriented, I looked around and came face to face with a purple tie and a neat white dress shirt, fancy enough that an idle part of my brain was almost surprised that there weren't any gold buttons. Or, a part of my dazed mind suggested, so incredibly cheap that there should have been holes in it.

I wanted to pounce at it and break the neck of whoever wore it. Then everything that had happened came back to me in an instant, and I jumped to my feet. All around me, glass shot into the sky where it had fallen to the ground.

Someone next to me yelped like a little girl.

My danger sense tingled, and I whirled around.

In an instant, I became aware of several things. There was a man on the ground, sitting on his ass and looking at me like a scared chicken. The alley was empty. The remains of Greasecan's suit still smoked on the ground, and there was still…blood…everywhere, but Greasecan himself was nowhere to be seen. There was a woman, training a small handgun on me. Her hands were wet, as were the sleeves of her grey business blazer.

I growled at her as my head made the connection.

"Woha, easy now. We helped you." The woman didn't even flinch and despite her calming voice, she didn't lower her gun. She kept edging closer and closer to the man, who was slowly getting up from the ground. Everything about her screamed military to me, from her look to the way she held herself. A bodyguard, I realized.

"Yes indeed, fearful heroine! Our intentions are as pure as our golden hearts…" The woman rolled her eyes, which the man promptly ignored. He started brushing off his clothes. "You see–"

"Who. Are. You?" I growled at him, choking the words from my throat.

"Michael Carson, entrepreneur and opportunist, at your service." The man beamed at me, not even skipping a beat. Before his companion could stop him, he stepped into my face and practically pounced on my hand like a hungry hyena. My danger sense remained silent, so I let him, too confused and dazed to react. Just what the fuck…?

"I must say, meeting such a strong and dashing young heroine in the flesh…it's an honor. Truly an honor! I heard so much about –" he paused, and I used the opportunity to yank my hand back. I idly noticed that his voice carried the faintest trace of a Boston accent. "Ahm. Yes, yes. Apologies….I mean, are you alright miss? Are you hurt? How many fingers am I holding up?"

Irritated, I slapped his hand away.

Everything around me was wrecked. Broken glass covered every surface. A memory rose in my mind; a shaky, hazy image of me screaming at the disk in the sky. A violent, unfocussed blast.

Shit. Just what…

I felt funny as if a part of myself was missing, and I glanced at the duo as I tried to make sense of just what was going on. Just who were these people? What had happened? The memories were there but my thoughts were a jumbled mess; the fight, the takedown, the…assassination? Someone had shot at us!

Had they aimed at him? At me? Now that I looked closer, I could see that both Carson and his bodyguard sported light scratches on their faces. It wasn't serious – not even bleeding – but it told me enough. He had stepped back, wincing as he clutched his wrist, and a lump formed in my throat at the sight. The woman by his side had lowered her gun, but her gaze was wary. The dark-skinned sentinel at the end of the alley just glared at me, and I wasn't sure if he was disappointed or concerned.

I didn't glance back to confirm.

This is not how I imagined my day to go, I thought. Shit! "Sorry," I forced myself to say. "…still disoriented"

"Ahm. Well, not a problem. Not a problem," Carson smiled at me, still clutching his wrist. "I must say, even with how your costume…flatters… your strength – Quite extraordinary, I must say! – Of course, I realized my… misjudgment rather quickly but here I am, underestimating your grip, haha. It's entirely my mistake, really."

I glanced down at my arm as I parsed his words in my mind. There was blood everywhere, coating my hand and arm, and I had to remind myself that it wasn't mine. My right sleeve was still intact, but the glove was ruined. I'd have to buy new ones. My left sleeve was even worse. The fabric was badly damaged and hung in tatters. Torn to pieces when my arm had fallen apart.

I sighed internally. Something in my mind clicked into place, and the only reason I didn't choke Carlson on the spot was because I was still wearing his now-dirtied suit jacket. I wasn't a boy! No, Taylor. Get a fucking hold of yourself, I told myself, hoping that my face didn't twitch. As smarmy as he seemed, he had been kind and wasn't wrong after all. I doubted that there was much femininity left in me. But then again, fuck that.

"Sorry," I forced myself to say again. "What…happened? Where's Greasecan?" How did he even know my name?

"I am honestly not sure," Carson replied. "Miss Shen and I were in the area when we heard explosions and I heroically decided to throw myself –"

"–like a fool–"

"– into unexplored danger for the benefit of the greater good!"

I just stared at him.

"Ahem, well, and when we arrived, there was this rather…fiery lady screaming at you."

"She slapped you a few times," the woman – Shen – added. "and then she saw us, screamed at us to whack sense into you, and…poofed away."

"Most curious indeed," Carlson said. "Then there were a lot of explosions. And strange noises. I could have sworn that one of them sounded like a bear. It went very fast. I may have never personally met a cape before, but we figured we'd best move you away, so…" he gestured to a nearby entrance. Like the rest of this place, it was broken and abandoned. "...I had my employee move your friend out of sight."

I bit down the remark that danced on my tongue and switched to my sight. The colors around me faded, replaced by intricate weaves of crimson. To be honest, I had no fucking clue what to make of Carson, his friends, and the entire fucking situation. He reminded me too much of the smeary corporate pigs Dad loved to whine about. But, as he said, I could make out the distinct outline of my supposed… friend and that of another person crouching beside him.

It meant that Greasecan was still alive, which - all things aside – was a relief.

And someone had been after Greasecan, that much I remembered from his words. Someone had killed him –tried to? I didn't know. What if they came after me next?

I rushed into the building, barely noticing that Shen and Carlson were following me at a distance. What was I supposed to do? I needed answers, and I needed them now. But how?

"Ahem," Carlson coughed behind me. I didn't bother to turn around. "I really don't mean to impose, but your friend doesn't look too well. You wouldn't happen to have a working cellphone with you? Also, I don't think you ever introduced yourself…?"

Truly, I thought bitterly. Fuck this day, and fuck it sideways.

As usual, feedback would be greatly appreciated! Trainwreck may seem like a plot device, but trust me. If he is, there gotta be an in-universe explanation for it! Many thanks to the awesome Fwee for helping me with advice and grammar.

Last edited:
Story Informational
The World of CSVT

This story is based on the worldbuilding of A Comprehensive Guide to Boston and plays in an AU that derives from Worm Canon around mid-summer 2010. In this story, Taylor is a vial cape who "triggers" (with Shatterbird's original telekinetic powers, who doesn't exist in this universe) under suboptimal circumstances a good few months before the locker event. As a consequence, several things including the capture of the vigilante Shadow Stalker get somewhat derailed.

Another important AU factor is the shattering of the Teeth in an altercation roughly 5 years prior to the story, shortly after the Boston Games in 2007 by the Teeth during an altercation in Brockton Bay. As of story start, Butcher 14 (Quarrel) has been declared dead and missing for over 5 years, and what remains of the original Teeth has been thoroughly scattered.

Since this is a Butcher fic, Taylor will have to deal with the full brunt of Butcherdom since there are no QA or other effects that would allow her to handwave the effects of inheriting. Also, this story aims to explore the wider universe of Worm, and thus, will fully shift over to Boston during Book 2 of the story. Brockton Bay and the canon characters will remain important to some degree throughout the story though.

Butcher IButcherJoeMale(Villain)
Butcher IIBloodhoundSergejMale(Villain)
Butcher IIISentinelWilliamMale(Hero)
Butcher IVNecrophageLilyFemale(Villain)
Butcher VAllfatherRichard AndersMale(Villain)
Butcher VINovaSophiaFemale(Villain)
Butcher VIIMayhemThana FaheemFemale(Villain)
Butcher VIIIArtisanNicolasMale(Villain)
Butcher IXMuskTomMale(Villain)
Butcher XCogNeaFemale(Vigilante)
Butcher XIMarauderEdwardMale(Villain)
Butcher XIIClaymoreMelanieFemale(Villain)
Butcher XIIIBouncerBenjaminMale(Villain)
Butcher XIVQuarrelSaiko TanakaFemale(Villain)
Butcher XV(Redacted)(Redacted)Male(Villain)
Butcher XVISerketTaylor HebertFemale(Villain)

Last edited:
Book 1: Chapter 4

I was still shaken by the time I neared home, trodding through the increasingly familiar streets of the neighborhood I had grown up in. Something about it all was wrong this time though; the warm sun on my skin, the white snow, and the blue sky that had helped me feel at ease when I'd stared out onto the ocean this very morning had turned into something that unsettled me.

It almost felt like a mockery: the shiny polish and pretty facade that made you lower your guard and feel safe and protected. Safety. It was a lie. This entire morning had been nothing but a mess I could have gladly gone without.

It wasn't supposed to have gone like this.

The walk home had given me much-needed time to think and sort my thoughts and emotions. In retrospect, the whole encounter this morning felt almost like a setup to me, and on a theoretical level, it made sense. Trying to draw out a cape to get a hang of their abilities. I could understand that. I – Kaleidoscope – didn't do hero-ing. Hadn't done it in the month since I'd debuted as her. Not because I didn't want to…

…But because I didn't dare.

Ever since I was old enough – and even after my embarrassing Alexandria-fangirl phase – I wanted to be a hero, and I had always dreamed about getting powers one day. Naturally, back then I neither knew nor understood what that truly entailed.

Now I had them, and I didn't know what to do. Just thinking about going out and helping people caused a muted part of myself to explode with revulsion and annoyance, up to the point that I got a brutal headache the first time I thought about turning myself in to the authorities.

For someone who hadn't been able to feel pain anymore for several months at this point? It had been bad, and I'd vomited my guts out at the doorstep of the PRT office downtown while a part of my subconsciousness literally screamed at me for being a dumb bitch who should stop and think for a moment before committing suicide.

And that part of me was right, in a way. Joining the Wards had been out of the question from the start. Ever since I'd gotten these powers, my temper had been on a short fuse, and when I got angry, I got physical. What hero team would accept someone like that joining them? Hell, what hero team would accept someone like that in their city?

Not to mention the fact that the destruction I'd caused was probably enough to send me to prison anyway… if not some supermax prison where I could actually be contained along with some of the worst villains in the country.

And then there was the fact that both Dad and I would be gone from Brockton Bay by the end of the month – hopefully for good – so was there even a point in building up anything permanent? I didn't know what awaited us in Boston, but I knew that it was a chance for a fresh start, and in all honesty? I liked that idea very much.

Maybe I could even be a hero there, without people connecting me to an event that had ruined their lives.

I had constantly checked the news during my stay in the asylum, so I knew that at least in public, people usually connected the Winslow Fire and the Scar. Even months after the incident, the online message boards were still brimming with speculation, and some of them hit uncomfortably close to home. Thankfully, those voices were few and far between, and most people blamed either the Four or the Winslow Torcher for everything.

I wasn't sure why a group of stylish bio-terrorists would blow up a high school, but people seemed to view it as a revenge action for them getting kicked out of Boston by the notorious Dark Society earlier this year, and I was very thankful for that.

(I also really didn't want to live in the same city as a bunch of superpowered terrorists.)

No one suspected Kaleidoscope, even those who had met me when I went out as a cape. Yet, I also knew that people weren't stupid, and it would only take a little slip-up for them to connect the dots between Kaleidoscope the Glass-Shaper, and the Glass-Shatterer who had killed over 200 people.

Ever since I'd crafted the identity, both to get money and to cover for some of my other work, Kal had always been nothing but the shy cape girl selling photography, glass sculptures, and art on her ratty blanket, and despite me sometimes struggling with the sheer idleness of it, it was kind of nice. The smiles of the people browsing my wares, as meaningless and superficial as they were. The space of calm and the mere thought that I was doing something with my own hands – with the utterly destructive powers I wielded – to help Dad even though he didn't know it.

That I was using my powers to create, and not to hurt and destroy.

There was another cape in the city – Parian – who also didn't seem interested in traditional hero or villain activities. I had never met her in person, but I knew that her powers involved animating plushies and that she sometimes partnered with stores and shops downtown to make puppet shows or animate large store mascots for advertisement.

I was also aware that parahuman gangs had shown interest in her before, openly sending goons and capes to intimidate her into joining or affiliating with them, so from the start I always knew that it was only a matter of time before the villains would show interest in Kal too.

Maybe I could ask her about how she deals with it.

It was an enticing thought. I had never spoken with another cape before, save for a few quips and dodged recruitment attempts with the Wards. I could show up in costume to her next performance, and try to strike up a conversation. But Parian hadn't been seen for a few weeks now, which was a little weird. Then again, it was nearing Christmas, and even Capes had family, right?

The more I thought about the whole situation, the weirder it felt. Despite being active for almost a month, the gangs hadn't approached me on the Boardwalk or the Market yet. And now this? It didn't match what little I knew about the villains in Brockton Bay.

I was actually fairly confident that I hadn't been the target of the attack that had nearly killed that lowlife cape…but I had been there. I was a witness. What if they decided to come after me too? Who had wanted to kill Greasecan, and why?

It was thoughts like these that distracted me as I approached the familiar wooden house with the rotted porch step, so I only noticed the shiny car next to Dad's battered truck when I had already stepped halfway around it.

Oh right, I thought to myself, my gut churning. Today is the fucking day that decides our whole fucking future. Great fucking start indeed.

I battled the desire to smash something in frustration as I approached and – after a quick look to make sure that I was smiling and sufficiently presentable – stepped up to the front door and hit the doorbell with my elbow.

Steps sounded, and a moment later, Dad opened the front door with a befuddled look that quickly shifted into a smile. Even though he hid it well, I could tell immediately that he was tired and tense, even more so than usual. It had to be because of the lawsuit hearing. He'd be leaving me alone for a couple of days while he went to Boston for some legal whatever, and it had been keeping him antsy all week.

"Taylor. How was your run?"

My breath turned into an involuntary gasp, and I sneezed into his face, followed by a rush of heat flowing into my cheeks. I tried to play it off by lifting the shopping bags and holding them up to his face. "Breakfast," I rasped with a shrug.

"Ouf, young lady!" Dad pretended to recoil in disgust, and I forced myself to crack a smile. "I'll take those."

I handed my spoils over, and used my now-free hand to reach into my pocket, fishing for my electrolarynx, and pressing it against my throat. The voice thing was by far the most annoying issue I had to deal with, and honestly? I'd use even the most flimsy of excuses to get rid of it. For now, though, I had to content myself with stealthy and subtle improvements.

"Run was fine," I buzzed.

Another sneeze forced itself out of me. Dad scrutinized me for a moment. His gaze flickered to the thermostat next to the door. "Are you alright? You look a bit winded."

"Yeah," I lied. I didn't feel very bad about it. "Cold outside."

Dad sighed. "I know that getting exercise is important to you, but going outside when it's this cold–"

"I'm fine, really," I said. Maybe it was a gut feeling, but I could feel that there was more to Dad's statement. Ever since the accident, he had been more protective of me, and I knew that he only half-heartedly tolerated my morning runs.

"Can't you run at that gym of yours?" Dad asked. "I can drive you there in the morning, no problem. Maybe I could even join you. Feeling a little bit out of shape recently."

I didn't react to his attempt at humor, instead just shaking my head, trying to keep the brief surge of panic off my face. "No. Please. I am fine, really. Just going to take a long, hot shower, and I'll be okay." I am strong, I wanted to add – show him – but I held my tongue.

Dad smiled gently at me, before leaning forward and taking an exaggerated sniff. "Puuh. Yeah, maybe you should."

A part of me wanted to complain, to argue. A few insults even floated up from the bottom of my brain, but I ignored them, just nudging Dad playfully against the shoulder with my fist as I weaved around him and into the hallway, kicking off my running shoes with well-practiced ease in the process.

"Do you need help with the jacket?" Dad asked. I shook my head, stepping away before he could get the idea of touching me anyway. Not that I minded Dad getting in my space or anything, but given the lengths I went to obscure the true changes in my body from him, I didn't want him to question why his daughter's arm suddenly had the consistency of hardened steel.

I made sure to offer him another smile over my shoulder before I moved further into the house and pretended I didn't see the wince he failed to hide from me, and the flicker of his eyes.

Oh, right, I remembered with a sudden pang of sadness. I shouldn't smile too wide when he looks. Was it sad or funny that Dad still couldn't look me straight in the face if I didn't keep my expression under wraps?

The fire that had scorched the left side of my body had also damaged the nerves and muscles, turning most of my cheek numb and mostly paralyzed. It didn't bother me too much, apart from the fact that it was yet another trivial thing I could easily fix with my powers.

I could still eat, drink, or speak without issue. Just when I smiled too wide or tried to create a specific expression, the damage showed.

It took me a second to fix my expression after extinguishing that train of thought, and when I entered the living room, I made sure to offer the by-now familiar woman sitting on the couch a normal smile when she looked up.

It gave me character, right?

Hello Mrs. Dallon. I greeted her with a nod, before speaking a single word. "Breakfast?"

It would only take three words. Three words to her face. Easy enough. Easier than going to the Protectorate, I have powers. Yet, something in me twisted – screamed – at the very thought, as if every fiber of my being told me that it was a fucking bad idea. Which, admittedly, it was.

"No thank you. We have to leave inside of an hour." Carol looked up from the shaky couch table aching under the load of paperwork she was brooding over. She also scrutinized me for a moment. "Are you alright, Taylor? There's no reason to be nervous."

Yes, I am fucking alright, I thought sarcastically but all I offered her was another nod. "I can make some lunch boxes for the trip?" I offered.

Carol blinked at me. Again, she looked like she wanted to reject the offer, but it seemed like my puppy-dog eyes worked because eventually, she relented. "Thank you. That's …very kind. Say, Taylor. I know I offered before, but are you sure that you don't want to –"

"No," I smiled at her. Trust me, it's better for all of us.

I had met Amy Dallon once before, and even though it was a very enticing idea to use Brockton Bay's local miracle healer as a valid reason for "sudden improvements to my quality of life", it would also immediately unmask me as a parahuman, which I couldn't allow at any cost. There was also the issue with her utterly grating and caustic personality that had urged me to punch some respect and humility into her after spending less than 5 minutes in the same room as her.

That… well. I wasn't sure if I could control myself well enough, but I was very sure that raising my hand against Amy Dallon would burn many bridges with her, her sister, and the entirety of New Wave.

Carol just shrugged, and I used the awkward silence to bolt up the stairs and into my room. Maybe I could pretend to have met Amy by chance, I mused. No, it wouldn't work when her Mom frequented our house on an almost daily basis recently.

Down below, I could hear Dad return from the kitchen.

"So, Mr. Hebert," Carol said downstairs. "We are primarily aiming for a case of negligence and reckless endangerment, and I want you to–"

I closed the door, banished all thoughts from my mind, and for a moment, I just allowed myself to fall back onto my bed and scream wordlessly into my pillow.

Half an hour and one deliciously hot shower later, I – appropriately dressed in a very fluffy, oversized Christmas sweater – made my way downstairs and into the kitchen. The door to our little living room wasn't fully closed but I didn't pay much attention to the voices that drifted into my ear. Dad had placed my bags on the cooking table, and I quickly started unpacking my spoils and spread them on the plate in front of me.

Carving and woodworking was one of the hobbies I had found myself picking up a while ago – even though it was technically trivialized by my ability to reshape materials with a simple touch – and a quick rummage through our overstuffed cupboard rewarded me with two ornate bento boxes I had fashioned from pieces of scrap wood.

Running more on autopilot than anything, I started chopping away. Cooking with one hand was a bother, but I still liked it, and since I was alone, I could simply cheat by throwing something in the air and bisecting it a few times with my favorite chopper.

Preparing the boxes didn't take long and despite my worries, I forced myself to concentrate on the task at hand. I wanted to do something special for Dad. A special lunch for a special day, so I made sure to arrange everything neatly and even found myself carving funny faces into the snack carrots I put into the boxes before sealing them.

It truly looked delicious – appropriately fancy – but for some reason, I wasn't feeling hungry at all. There was a leaden feeling in my stomach, a dark, worrying sensation that just didn't want to go away.

Dad and Carol would be gone for a few days, and even though it gave me much-needed breathing room, it also was a stark reminder that now was the time that would decide my and Dad's future. I should be worrying about that – about trivial things like finishing the school work I had to hand in today – and not about assassins.

I still remembered the face that had greeted me the first time I woke up after Winslow – my sight blurred and a gaping black hole in my memories. The tears that ran down Dad's haggard face as he gripped my hand like a lifeline. The broken, hoarse voice and reek of alcohol as he slurred – promised me that he would get me out of this dumpster of a city. I would never forget it.

I never wanted to see Dad like that again.

The school administration – cowards that they were – had wanted to settle, but Dad would hear none of it. I didn't know what he'd done, how many of his former friends and contacts he'd rallied, or whether he'd threatened Major Christner with a box cutter, but only a day after I had been released from the asylum and witnessed just how far Dad's life and self-respect had fallen apart while I was gone, Carol Dallon had rang at our doorstep carrying a suitcase.

It was me who had answered the door on that day, and so it was me who had learned that the legendary Brandish of New Wave was willing to take our case pro bono. While the thought of being dependent on the generosity of others was grating, we weren't in any position to deny her.

Let's just hope that this doesn't end like my morning has, I thought to myself as I stepped out of the kitchen. Because if it did?

Then I'd either have to clear my head by going somewhere secluded and tearing down a building with my bare hands followed by a solo bank robbery so we wouldn't lose the house he had already sold… or pump myself with medication until I turned into a zombie for the rest of the week.

Dad and Carol were still absorbed in their work and didn't notice me until I put the boxes down with an audible clonk. Seeing him like that, bowing and chatting about piles of legal nonsense – engaged – like I haven't seen him for years… it reminded me of better days.

Somehow, that made the smile on my face mostly genuine.

Dad looked up. "Hey, champion. Refreshed?"

I nodded.

"Just give us a moment," he said. "We're almost done here."

Since the couch was occupied, I moved back into the kitchen and sat down at the table, watching Dad and Carol from an angle through the open door. Looking around in daylight made me realize just how empty our house was without all the personal clutter we had assembled over the years. Most of our stuff had already been sent to a storage unit in Boston, and I found that the house almost looked…sterile as it was now. It was kinda weird. On the one hand, it made me uncomfortable, but on the other hand? It was perhaps the biggest proof that Dad was willing to change his life for me.

My heart didn't know how to feel about that. We'd leave so much behind. Not everything – even Kurt and Lacy and many of Dad's friends were coming to Boston with us, now after the dissolution of the Union and without any other option – but we'd be leaving Mom behind.

I didn't want to think about it, especially now, and in an attempt to distract myself, I started sorting through the stack of unopened mail sitting on the table. It was mostly just junk, including one of the Wards brochures we seemed to get with suspicious frequencies these days, and oddly enough one that warned about the misuse of…steroids? What the fuck?

I threw them into the trash before I went to grab a bite from the fridge. I sat there in silence, battling my body's never-ending appetite with all the leftover food from the day before.

Thankfully, it didn't take long for all the papers to disappear back into Carol's black briefcase, and after a brief conversation I didn't bother to follow, she offered me a wave and left. Dad followed with the travel bags, but he returned shortly after and came to me into the kitchen.

We stared awkwardly at each other, Dad shifting on his foot.

Sooo, uhm, I thought. it must have shown on my face, because Dad offered me a reassuring smile, and I quickly offered him a raised thumb in response.

"We'll be leaving now," he said. "Stay safe. We'll be back in two days, so…is there anything you still need? Money is in the drawer in my room, tucked under the shirts…"

He paused, and I could see the lump in his throat move. Suddenly, I felt nervous. Something was wrong, and I reached for the electrolarynx in my pocket. I knew that our relationship wasn't the best – that there was a distance between us that shouldn't be – but this wasn't normal.

I looked Dad in the eyes, and what I found there shocked me more than everything. He was scared.

"Dad," I rasped. "What's wrong?"

"I–Taylor," Dad paused and reached out to place a hand on my shoulder. "There is nothing wrong, really, but…" he paused again, and it took a moment for him to respond. When he finally did, his voice was dead-serious. "Look, the police just found two corpses in our neighborhood. That cape serial killer – Crucify – was running around just a few houses down, and I am scared that something will happen to you when you go run so early in the morning. Stay at home when the sun goes down, don't open the door, and if anything happens, call the police and scream for help. Understood?"

I was convinced that his grip around my shoulder would have hurt if it weren't for my physique and powers. I just nodded, too stumped to say anything. My thoughts swirled, but a surge of determination quickly drowned out the spike of terror in my mind.

Dad was out of town for a few days, and if that Crucify-bitch was knocking at my door? I would show her, and it would be nothing that she liked. Was I overconfident? Maybe I was because as soon as I had finished the thought, a part of my subconsciousness scoffed at me.

"Understood," I rasped.

"I…you know I wouldn't leave in a situation like this, but I have to."

"I know," I responded.

"Stay safe, and try to have some fun."

"Yes, Dad."

"But –"

"I'll be careful and be back long before it gets dark."

"Good," Dad smiled at me, but it broke from his face as quickly as it had appeared. "If…if the police don't make it in time, there's a loaded revolver in my drawer, and more bullets in the carved little box next to it."

Oof. That's a bit hardcore, even for you, I thought in surprise. Dad owned a gun? I didn't even know that. Well, I'm never going to need it anyway.

I smiled at him, and before he could react, I rose from my chair and gave him a quick and gentle hug. "Good luck with the hearing," I said.

We both said our awkward goodbyes to each other and soon Carol's car pulled out of our driveway, leaving Dad's battered old truck and me behind. I tried to relax for a bit after they were gone, but barely an hour later, I turned off the TV and jumped to my feet with a defeated sigh. There was no point. My body and mind simply couldn't go to rest. Also, morning TV was nothing but trash again. I tidied the house for a bit before I went up to my room and packed everything I'd need for the afternoon.

I had two days to turn this house into a motherfucking tinker fortress, and it wouldn't matter if it was Assassin or Crucify, no one touched Dad. But first…school.

Ever since Winslow had burned down, I was essentially homeschooled. It was a stopgap measure for all the students who couldn't be folded into the surrounding high schools until Winslow got rebuilt. For me, who had been out of the cycle for a few months as I recovered, it had been a welcome surprise.

I wasn't weak. The prospect of school didn't scare me as much as it would have, but if there was one thing I knew for certain, it was that I wouldn't stand down to any high school shit they could throw at me anymore. I also knew that there was one and only one response I'd ever give someone – no matter who it was – who talked shit to my face.

A fist into theirs.

I was aware that once we'd settled in Boston, school was likely back on the menu, but that was a problem for then. Now, I had to focus on other matters, and I liked my current arrangement. I just needed to occasionally drop by to fill out forms or pick up new material, which limited my exposure to the social phenomenon of high school teenage bullshit.

The bus ride downtown was calm and silent, and since there weren't many people, the amount of shocked and pitiful stares was limited to a bearable amount. It probably also helped that I sat in the very last row of the bus, which was my favorite spot anyway.

I closed my eyes when the melody around me changed, trying to flee into happy memories, but the Scar was merciless. I didn't have to see to know that the houses around me were now bare and stripped, that there was a breach running through Brockton Bay, all the way from Winslow into the docks.

I didn't remember how I'd triggered, thanks to the gaping hole in my memories, but I didn't need to. It was obvious what had happened here – who had done this – and it was a stark reminder of just how destructive my power's voice really was.

Many people had died when my scream tore through the city, shattering and tearing everything apart. Thankfully, it had only affected a two-block-wide area, but even months after the incident, the city hadn't yet managed to replace all of the glass. It was depressing, dangerously so, and in a much-needed attempt to spark other thoughts, I fished for an abandoned newspaper on the seat in front of me and started digging through the pages.

I needed something strong – depressing, but in a different way – and I quickly found the pages listing the depressing stuff no one wanted to read anyway; missing people, obituaries, and of course supermarket advertising offers. I wasn't sure why it worked, but it did. There was only one entry:

Has anyone seen Sabah?

A snapshot of a dark-skinned girl smiled back at me. She seemed Middle Eastern, with dark skin, full lips, and large, dark eyes. Pretty small too, based on those around her. Missing for almost two weeks.

Maybe the Empire? I mused. They were notorious for going after minorities, as expected of a group of wannabe-nazis. You didn't have to live a rough life to be a target, those animals would snatch even someone like a distinguished college student. Maybe I could go looking for her?

I didn't know where the thought came from, my gut suddenly churning, but I decided to file it away for later. I turned the page and by the time the bus stopped in front of Arcadia, I had read the newspaper three times over.

Well, I thought as I got off the bus, clutching my bag like a lifeline as I stared at the large building in front of me. Time to step into hell.

Arcadia High was in many ways the stark opposite of Winslow. It was by far the nicest public school in the entirety of Brockton Bay, known for its plethora of vocational courses and top-of-the-line facilities. It was also the school that the children of New Wave and -- according to the rumors -- the Brockton Bay Wards attended.

The building was four stories high, with two wings connected by a shorter piece, forming something like a capital H in shape. The whole building was also outfitted with a Faraday cage to stop students from messing around with their cell phones during class.

Just half a year ago, I would have sacrificed a leg to go here, but now as I stalked through the empty halls, all I felt was a massive rush of insecurity and anxiety. My personal issues aside though, my trip didn't turn out as hellish as I feared it would be. Perhaps it was luck or just the right timing, but I had just arrived by the start of a period, and by the time I left the administration office, I still had a decent window of time until the students would crowd the hallways again.

It wasn't so much that I feared running into Victoria or Amelia Dallon, but more of a general uneasiness that came with this place, students, and everything related. People stared at me, but teenagers? God forbid, maybe they'd even start touching me like I was some kind of exotic exhibit.

I couldn't trust myself not to lash out.

I could deal with a few teenagers, but not a whole crowd. It wasn't something I felt comfortable with just yet. Even before the Winslow Fire, my high school experience hadn't been good, and even though there had been…improvements – as minuscule as they were – with everything that had happened?

I didn't associate anything good with high school. Only suffering, and while I had many talks about the subject with Dad or my therapist – to the point I was actually willing to give the subject another shot – it wouldn't be here in this city, and not with Emma around.

I still wanted to murder her. Cup her pretty face between my hands and pulp it. Maybe I could take a knife and turn her false smile into something real for–

A noise echoed through the hallway, cutting through my increasingly darker fantasies. I paused for a moment, but only a moment, before I whirled around and walked back into the hallway I had just passed. I knew that voice. With every step I took, my vision became narrower, and crimson red began to tint the world around me, turning around everything around me except for the sickly sweet voice ahead. Something black and ugly began festering in my heart.

Madison fucking Clements. She was one of the three people who had made my entire high school existence hell, who had bullied me every single day together with Emma and that psycho Sophia. A cutesy bitch without tits or spine, hanging off of Emma's side like a wart on a foot.

"Ah, the Shortstack," someone whispered, but I didn't care. Didn't listen. This was a personal matter. Kill her break her Ignore her Fuck her Break her bones…

It didn't take long for voices to reach my ear, and the nonsensical gruel of whispers stopped abruptly when I reached out in passing and slammed a door close that had been open a crack.

"…oh my, Veder, what's wrong this time?" Madison's sweet voice drifted around the corner and into my ear.

Greg, I thought. Figured that they'd pick the next person up the pecking order once I'm gone.

I was tempted – so tempted – to just turn around and leave the loser to his fate. Greg wasn't a bad guy, but he had never helped me with the bullying either. He was an immature, whiny coward and an idiot…but I owed him. In a way, at least. Dad had told me that Greg had stood up to testify when I had been practically locked up in the mental hospital. Without him, there might have not even been a lawsuit to begin with.

That, and my overwhelming desire to murder the cutesy garden gnome for what she had done to me.

I turned around the corner.

For everything that had happened, Greg and Madison still looked like they always had. The short, soft boy with blonde hair in a bowl cut that really, really didn't do him any favors. Currently, he was fidgeting around next to what I assumed was his locker, looking like he wanted to do nothing more than curl away and disappear. Like a kicked puppy. He looked exactly like I had not too long ago, and it hurt.

I couldn't help but notice that he indeed looked awful today. He was unnaturally pale and even a bit skittish as if he was on the verge of collapse, and the bags under his eyes spoke volumes. He was a nerd and gamer, so maybe he had discovered a new one to plunge his brain into last night?

Madison, however…just looking at her almost made me retch in disgust. She was still the same late bloomer, playing up her "cute" appearance with her clothes and a demeanor that was so fake that I wanted to beat it off of her face. She was decidedly underdressed for the cold weather, and it worked, even on me. But when I really looked at her, all I could see was a colorful bird trying to chirp along with the vultures.

Her laughter turned tittering as our eyes met, before breaking off completely.

"Uhm, Miss. Are you lost?" She said.

"Ta-Taylor?" Greg looked at me wide-eyed, fully aghast. "Oh my god, what happened to you? Oh my god, you look like half–"

Madison simply clamped her hand over his face to stop the waterfall of verbal diarrhea that was undoubtedly about to erupt from his mouth. "Shut it, loser."

To my surprise, Greg didn't even blush. Thankfully, he did shut up though.

Madison turned back to me, and her smile faltered, falling off her face as she scanned me top to bottom like a piece of curious meat. Her gaze lingered on my frozen face, my tied-off, empty sleeve, and my midsection. She seemed lost for words or just outright lost. What, can't stomach mocking a cripple?

It made me mad, furious, that she might think I was somehow off-limits now, after all of the shit that she'd helped cover for with that simpering smile. Every time she'd played at being a dumb, innocent bystander, taking their side to the teachers, screwing me over.

"Taylor," she said, almost forcing the word out. "I.. I…"

I didn't even wait for her to finish spewing her excuse before I shoulder-checked her into the row of lockers as I passed.

"Fuck you, Shortstack," I growled as I stalked past her and down the hall. I didn't fight the scowl that grew on my face. How dare she, treat me like I was less now than I was before. I wasn't weak, wasn't vulnerable. I was stronger than I'd ever been.

"Taylor. Wait!" Barely a heartbeat after I turned around the next corner, I could hear Greg's voice calling out for me, followed by rapid footsteps accompanied by the heave of a steam locomotive. I cast a longing gaze toward the exit in the distance before I stopped and turned around. I wasn't even sure why. Did I want to talk to Greg?

No.

What do you want? I stared down at Greg.

"T-thank you," he coughed.

Mhm, I thought dryly. I am not sure if you deserve it.

I shrugged at him.

"Wow, you are sooo cool! What happened to you? You are so – so big. Like a barbarian, from DnD you know? You know…"

I mentally covered my ears to avoid thinking about the sheer tsunami of garbage Greg started showering me with, not even giving me a chance to answer his flood of questions even if I wanted to. At some point, I even started walking again, but he either didn't get the message or didn't care, and just followed me as I strode toward the main entrance.

Where is Sparky when you need him? I groaned in annoyance. Seriously, it was almost as if he had missed me for whatever reason.

"...and then I tried this new game and, I…I–" I only looked up when Greg's voice suddenly broke, and when I looked at him, his eyes were suddenly swimming.

I barely had time to be surprised before I got tackled by him, and he bawled his eyes out against my chest like a little child.

Help…please. Oh, god, what do I do now? I thought in panic as doors began to open all around us, and curious heads turned to look at us.

Last edited:
Interesting developments. I'll have to double check the early chapters again to remind myself who her predecessors are in this AU.
Looking forward to part two of this chapter!

Back