Crazy Rich Asians

Yeangst

Normie
Pronouns
He/Him

I made a few comments about this movie in the Unpopular Opinions Thread, that probably came across as a bit more negative than I intended. I mean, I liked the movie, definitely one of my favorite Rom-Coms, and I don't especially dislike Rom-Coms or anything. My wife liked it less- she said the plot was cliched and that she could guess every major plot point from the first 15 minutes, but she watches a lot of Korean dramas.

I thought Michelle Yeoh was amazing.

Connnie Wu seems a bit wasted as the straightwoman, given how well she does the more over-the-top comedic stuff in Fresh Off The Boat.

Awkwafina and Ken Jeong were hilarious.

Jimmy O. Yang and Ronnie Chieng played their one-note characters very well. One funny, subtle scene I remember was that Ronnie Chieng's character was trying to put on the stern, Asian, patriarch airs in one scene at a party, and was sort of 'sternly' rebuking his wife (who didn't have a speaking role). Then she just walks away and he follows, sheepishly with his head down.

Anyway, in terms of Asian representation, I'm not sure. Donnie Kwak put it pretty well in that he saw it as us getting Asian Tyler Perry before getting Asian Spike Lee. It's still a step-up, I guess, but it doesn't seem to me to be a revolution of social movement or anything like that. It was just a pretty good, funny, light, fluffy movie.

I liked the movie, Better Luck Tommorow, better. But that's probably because the characters resonated more with me in that stage of my life. It seemed to better capture the pressures and anxieties of young Asian Americans, while Crazy Rich Asians pretty much just depicts Singapore as a fantasy Asian utopia. It also has the advantage of being part of the Fast And Furious extended universe.

watching this with my mom tomorrow. She's already seen it and she loved it...

Joy Luck Club is everything to me tbh, speaking of landmark Asian-American cinema (though obviously it was actually very specific to the Chinese-American experience).

Last edited:
Disappointed they didn't have lewis tan or yoshi sudarso as the handsome hunky lead, the dude looks bland

watched it!

I was a little disappointed with the movie's treatment of Astrid, though I understand why for the sake of runtime they stripped out some other aspects of her character to focus purely on her trying to appease Michael all the time.

Some very nice changes made in the adaptation to screen imo, esp with Eleanor and the second half of the movie. Like the book, it maintains awareness of the voyeuristic joy and slight sense of parody in following the lives of *ahem* crazy rich Chinese-Singaporeans, even while portraying some real issues. It's a shame the movie's been flattened in the press to pure representation since, as OP mentions, it is a very specific story about some very privileged people. (But when has that stopped us from watching Gossip Girl or Dallas or House of Cards and seeing what is culturally relevant in those shows?)

I think you/your kdrama-versed wife might find the plot of the sequels more surprising @Yeangst. This one is definitely the most straightforward. I do think the sequels are more melodramatic though.

it's no joy luck club but i'll take it. Loved Michelle Yeoh.

Last edited:
Back