Interlude: Ellisburg Survivors
Reactions: Thomas Calvert

Thomas Calvert was not used to this level of interference. He had been content to deal with Emily's usual pigheadedness when it cropped up, which it did, frequently. But he'd had her under control, alongside a slowly growing cadre of loyal and dedicated PRT operatives. His decision to operate more directly was not one he regretted as much, but there had been too many circumstances as of late linking together.

Yes, he had obtained Dinah Alcott, which was a boon to his operations across the board. Ostensibly, at least, this was supposed to be a boon, and yet in practice it was not what Coil had expected it to be. Firstly, entire chunks of the city seemed to be under roving "blackouts" where even his pet's power was unable to pierce the screens. He'd overheard and been present for briefings wherein Armsmaster, using some of the Watchdog's resources, had run tests.

Each blackout seemed to be locally tied to a person, but who that person was hadn't been clear, with thousands of potential suspects. It was even more frustrating that whenever one of those blackouts happened to pass over the area, he couldn't ask the girl any questions because she slipped into a near coma until whatever was causing the blackout moved away from the area.

With limited resources, especially procognitives, Armsmaster couldn't run further testing, and the man had more or less shrugged his shoulders as he'd finished the briefing. It must have rankled him that he was unable to think up an answer for them.

Coil was fairly sure that at least one of the blackouts was Lisa Wilbourne, but how she was doing it wasn't certain. He'd orchestrated kidnappings and attacks on her in alternate timelines as a form of test, and yet they'd never brought anything up, and bizarrely… they seemed to fail more than succeed. On the few occasions that he'd managed to actually interrogate and harm her, always in a far location, she'd steadfastly either refused to tell him anything of value, and when he'd managed to break her she'd not even known what was causing it.

What had been more disturbing were the collapsed realities where she'd mutated into some kind of killing machine, swarming the remote location and killing everything that moved before branching outwards.

Those realities had to be closed without fail, after containment from the Protectorate inevitably failed and she threatened the continental United States. They responded with nuclear fire in almost every single reality, and in the one where they hadn't, a beautiful woman alight in fire lay waste to Brockton Bay and everything within.

To say that Coil was furious was an understatement, years of work had been threatened simply because of circumstances linked to one woman.

Outwardly, the man known as Coil was calm, facing the briefings of major protectorate staff, with Emily Piggot writing notes as Miss Militia spoke on force distributions and the positions of the incumbent Merchants after their sudden and surprising loss.

A new cape had intervened, and Assault would be speaking about her next, given the bastard man's presence at the far end of the table.

"Assault, you stated you had preliminary ratings for the new cape?"

The man stood up and ran a hand through his shock of red hair, and Calvert stopped fantasizing about how it would feel to shoot everyone in this room in favor of watching him.

"Her name is Hotaru, which I'm told means something like "flame", I thought tinker initially but now I'm not so sure, given her apparent performance."

The man paused, turning to the board and beginning to mark down keywords as he spoke.

"First, she glows, brightly, too, not like Purity, but it's difficult to make out any facial expressions or the like, secondly, while she wears only half a helmet, with the lower part of her jaw uncovered alongside her mouth, it seems to be wrought of some sort of metal that glows brighter than the rest of her. Initially I thought Tinker with some sort of light armor construct, akin to what Dragon pulled off that Tinker in South America last year, but on a much more cohesive scale, now I'm not so sure."

Armsmaster, taking notes, paused as Assault began flinging still screenshots from his helmet camera footage onto the board, shots of a woman who was short but strong looking, clad in thick armor and carrying a mace and shield.

"What makes me unsure is the sheer efficacy of her actions if the Dockworker who called us is to be believed."

It was Piggot that finally broke in, firmly asking.

"The escalation of Tinkers, you mean?"

Assault nodded.

"I'll start with the facts, as I understand and was made to see them when I arrived on scene this morning."

Footage from official PRT and BBPD CSI filled the screen next to him, photos of shattered teeth and blood stains.

"I met Hotaru observing the docks district and the few slipways that were still operational, I was worried she was a villain and I stepped in to speak with her. She's mute, at least, or prefers not to speak, instead communicating on a pad of paper and pen. Which was how she told me her name was Hotaru."

He paused, plastic crackling as he sipped from one of the bottles of water near to the speaking podium. Calvert contemplated how easy it would be to grind his head to dust between his hands. Before Assault continued.

"She did not seem to be a villain, and I gave her the card for the Protectorate before leaving the area as Console had informed me of a fight between some Merchants and a group of the ABB only a few blocks away."

"Which was where you were when the fight began in the docks, correct?" Piggot asked once more, eyes focused hard on him.

"Yes. I met up with Challenger en route and we interfered with the fight before it could spill into a civilian neighborhood, but our PRT support was delayed because the Empire were moving through Merchant territory and they had to be on standby if the capes from either side found each other."

"Which was when you spotted Skidmark and Squealer heading for the docks and tried to disengage."

"Yes Ma'am, but I was unsuccessful in extricating myself from the combat zone and to pursue farther than I had would have left Challenger alone and exposed to combat, she's not as tough as I am."

The woman in question raised her hand and stood, before she spoke.

"He helped me to resolve the situation, and by the time we were finished with clean up and our support had actually arrived, the fight was already over and we were being dispatched to the boat graveyard for the other anomaly of that night."

Armsmaster stood and joined Assault, wordlessly, he nodded to the other hero and he took his seat as Armsmaster began.

"At approximately 2:30 AM this morning the PRT received a call from a dockworker stating that a new cape had shut down an attempted attack by the merchants on the central docks. With PRT support and capes nearby, I was dispatched to the scene, but I was redirected soon after when a separate call came in from the boat graveyard reporting the mass disappearance of every ship hull in the graveyard and glowing water."

He paused.

"By the time we arrived to the docks, hours later, any traces of the new hero were gone, and we were left simply examining the crime scene. In my opinion and backed up by my analysis of the scene I agree with Assaults hypothesis that the new cape is a changer or breaker, rather than a tinker."

He paused, and when Piggot nodded, began to explain.

"The escalation of Tinkers is well known, if this were a Tinker's first outing there would be evidence of such a thing, discarded or broken equipment, fragments of technology, strange reactions with their technology on the area, instead we found no evidence other than the unconscious Merchant members at the scene. Additionally, I think it is more beneficial to addend one further rating to Hotaru, that being Master."

Murmurs moved through the assembled heroes, and Piggot's gaze hardened as Armsmaster waited for the noise to die down.

"There are two reasons for this, when interviewing the dockworkers who witnessed Hotaru's defense, they stated a low level merchant cape, an unknown brute suddenly lost control of themselves and attacked their allies, while this was something I was hesitant to believe at first, recorded mutterings from the Merchants insist that none of them were high, and he attacked out of nowhere."

A pause as Armsmaster wrote down "Master" under Hotaru's name, below Changer.

"Furthermore, unconsciousness in humans as a result of blunt force trauma is short lived for reason, it's a traumatic brain injury for it to last longer than a few seconds, and yet every member of the Merchants remained unconscious for hours afterwards, and yet checkovers by doctors and staff have asserted that there are no lingering injuries to the brain, an anomaly."

"Was Panacea not available?" Piggot asked, and eyes turned to Armsmaster.

"She was unavailable for an "emergency" of some kind, although her sister did not state what that emergency is."

"And has her mother been reached for contact?"

Armsmaster shook his head.

"No, she has been unavailable to our probes for the morning, her receptionist and secretary told us she'll be unreachable until the weekend and unless we're family to wait."

"Hmm. Reach out to some of our contacts in the civilian world, lets see if we can find her, I am a little worried." Piggot said, before motioning for Armsmaster to continue.

"Thus, something in Hotaru's equipment or changer form seems to aid in knocking those she attacks unconscious, and harmlessly so, at least for the most part. Her weapons are still capable of severely damaging people she wishes to harm, as the litany of injuries that were reported clearly shows."

Finished with his hypothesis, Armsmaster turned to the board and began writing numbers next to the two statements.

"From statements with the gang, she is able to take punishing amounts of damage, fights like a human, albeit one very experienced, and her mace is wielded with enough casual strength to splinter and shatter bones even on light hits."

An image of one of Squealer's trucks, the front shattered into composite pieces, appeared on the board, and Calvert leaned forwards slightly.

"We estimate Hotaru to be a Brute 5 in her changer or breaker state, and alongside her master abilities, likely a Master 4 for the moment. If forcing someone to see everyone around them as an enemy and her strange sleep field is the only thing she's capable of, that will be a relief, but I caution everyone in this room to remember that until she comes in for testing, this information is secondhand at best and should be treated with a grain of salt."

As he finished the briefing on the scene of Hotaru's emergence, Calvert focused on the information he could verify, the Undersiders were within that area, and they could independently verify much of what occurred if any had happened to be around, whether or not this would be useful largely depended on Laborne and information from his team, if they'd seen anything. If he could co-opt this cape to his side he would have another powerful servant, and one that could handle several groups of merchants and then escape without leaving a trace was important, full stop.

More actors were always important for this city, and especially if Emily's continued interference swayed Vermillion Knight to her, he'd need whoever he could get his hands on, and preferably fast.

That woman was dangerous, his pet's threat dossier had been enlightening in it's bluntness, the practiced "threat level yes" a childish display, but one of use. If Lisa Wilbourne's powers were screaming that the woman was a serious threat, then he would trust that. She had tried to lead him wrong before, but the dossier read like a panicked attempt to close off any attempts to communicate with Vermillion Knight, alongside constant reassurances of her incredible power and strong moral compass.

How Tattletale had gotten that information didn't matter to Coil, only that she had obtained it and used it to try and dissuade any attempts to communicate.

He would reach out through an intermediary, and communicate with her as directly as he ever did, assess her mentality and morals for himself, and then he would decide what to do with Tattletale.

As he refocused on the briefing, he observed Armsmaster prattling on about the Boat Graveyard, and it's shift from useless into something potentially worth considering. With the loss of the salvage, and the purification of the waters around the bay at a heretofore unheard of level things would shift dramatically in favor of the vast dockyards.

Coil frowned, observing aerial pictures alongside soil and water readings taken from the surroundings and the picture they painted. It wasn't exactly an enlightening picture, either.

It pointed to the existence of a monstrously powerful shaker, and one who could manipulate terrain and materials at an unheard of level. One that had most of the room worrying at lips and sweating, and one that had Thomas Calvert alight with the potential and possibilities therein.

A shaker on that scale would likely be considered a near strategic asset, even if they were just capable of that wide scale purification.

How could he get ahold of them?

And who were they, because unlike with Hotaru, no one had seen anyone in the water, not that anyone would willingly have touched that water priorly.

Much of the remainder of the briefing was irrelevant information, or information that Coil had already known, and he was itching to escape it. He had several mercenary cape teams to contact, and meetings to arrange. Alongside a decision to reach about Tattletale, normally he'd have kept her until the very last amount of her usefulness was gone, but with her apparent inability to be interrogated, something that had quickly begun to erode Coil's sense of safety around her. Lisa Wilbourne had been recruited at gunpoint, he held no illusions to the fact that she would and had tried to buck his leash before. He'd held her ever tighter afterwards, but she was… becoming difficult and irritating to manage.

But she did have that new potential teammate… her name… Cherish.

Another of Vasil's wayward children had arrived in Brockton Bay, and then had disappeared. Either she'd fallen in with Faultline, which was unlikely, or she'd joined the Undersiders and they hadn't told him.

She was an unknown, but if she could fill in for Tattletale, who served predominantly as a researcher… then she could be potentially convinced to join using any of a number of tactics.

As the briefing concluded, Calvert stayed behind, making small talk and asking a few more questions, acting as his role demanded, before he stepped free of the building's conference room and moved towards the halls.

His secondary reality began reaching out, redistributing soldiers across the city, alongside with pulling on some favors owed by influential people for information.

It was a petty use of his power, but a useful one, calling on those who owed him, farming them for any and all information, and simply collapsing the realities they had given the favor to him within.

It was how he extracted the names and contact information for several groups of paramilitary mercenaries, and two teams of parahumans, one aligned with white supremacists, calling themselves the Rockers, and the other aligned with Accord, in Boston, called the Travelers.

With those teams information and expected rates, Coil couldn't help himself but grin as his car made its way from the basement of the PRT building to the streets of Brockton bay.

PRT: Emily Piggot

It would be easy to say that Ellisburg had hurt Emily Piggot, it would be easier to say that she hated capes because of it. In truth, she did not hate them as much as she let rumors say, and had, throughout her tenure as the director of the PRT ENE, come to an understanding with the capes under her command.

Her city was unstable, and in many ways it had been dying, but recent events hinted to Emily that her mutual friend, the new Cape Vermillion Knight was planning something. Something large scale, if the woman was also a Shaker, based simply on what had happened to the boat graveyard.

But it didn't quite fit with the image and interactions she'd had with Himeko so far. The woman was cautious, and incredibly so, she trusted almost no one, beyond even really Emily, instead sticking to her own morals, arresting common criminals, and putting anyone who got in her way down, albeit nonlethally.

Stormtiger's sudden arrest had been a shock, especially after the sheer damage done to the man in such a short period of time. Footage was limited, but a smear of red had colored it, and he'd started screaming and flopping bonelessly about shortly afterwards. It was a surprisingly vicious takedown for someone who generally played with a softer hand, and Emily wondered if it was because she hated Nazis, or if she had some connection to Stormtiger, as unlikely as the latter explanation would have been.

She observed the bay from her desk and wondered, a glass of water in one hand.

What would it mean if Himeko's arrival had released two powerful new capes into the game? This heretofore unheard of Shaker, and the Breaker/Changer that was Hotaru. In some ways she was surprised none of the capes at the table had mentioned that Hotaru seemed to draw some elements of her armor from Himeko's own costuming. With bright lights and flowing, skintight lines, albeit heavier cuirass and armor pieces crossing over it.

Piggot frowned, perusing the preliminary reports assembled from Armsmaster and others, shifting them until she got to the Bay Shaker incident.

Just the clearing of the bay's wrecks was enormous in it's scope and impact, with the vast majority of Brockton Bay's shipping lanes now reopened, the city's industry could experience a flood of incoming industry, and while Boston had been the preferred option for a long time, recent cape actions had destabilized the docks district of that city, and if companies were looking at a loss in business regardless of their locations…

She groaned, yes, most of the terminology went over her head, but if Brockton Bay's industry and dockworkers were smart, and with Hebert in charge they absolutely were, then her city might be facing an enormous amount of growth headed it's way, along with a commensurate increase in population, capes, and business enterprises.

Piggot sipped her water again, and let a wry smile carve its way across her face as she muttered.

"If this is your fault Himeko… I'll have to thank you, and then call you a bastard for making my job 10 times harder."

A knock on her door startled her slightly, and the woman turned to face it as a pair of people entered her office.

The first was Deputy Director Renick, her faithful, loyal, and logistically talented second in command, and the second was Miss Militia, the only hero that Emily would ever admit to liking in any public facing capacity.

"Director… updates from Militia and myself on the Shadow Stalker situation."

Emily nodded, and turned to face Miss Militia first, with the kurdish woman immediately speaking.

"Ma'am, we've located a few traces of Stalker's presence, but she's frustratingly difficult to track down more than she has been. We have no idea if she's gotten better at evading us or something else, but we know she's raided several of her caches already."

Pictures were passed to Emily, holes in the ground, in buildings ripped open, nondescript black bags and foam lined cases ransacked, everything stripped out of them.

"How badly did we fumble this… what does her psych profile say?"

Renick answered her first question in the honest, gentle way he always had.

"Bad. She was mastered as long as years from what we're able to tell, and potentially, she was one of the first victims of Barnes' powers, depending on when she was first exposed. It's frustrating that Vermillion Knight slew her so readily and left us with the pieces, not that I would ever blame her for taking the necessary course of action she did, but it is frustrating to lack so much of the larger picture because of it. Our fumble means that we only have the first victim, namely her father, who isn't helpful given his catatonic state in a mental hospital."

Emily winced, it was easy to despise most capes for her, but Masters… a special place in her heart was held for them. A special place full of hatred and vitriol, the monstrosities they were capable of… the things they all felt compelled to do because of such powers.

Those? Unleashed upon a teenage girl who's worldview was dangerously drunk on her own strength?

It was a miracle Stalker hadn't started nailing people to walls with crossbow bolts again.

It was Hana, Miss Militia, who stepped forwards to answer the question about her psych profile.

"Her psych profile states nothing about this course of action, she should be collapsed, likely near catatonic if we were lucky, and she absolutely should not be vanishing better than most of Coil's people."

A dark look crossed over her face and she continued.

"Regardless, I am very worried, this is atypical behavior at best, and I fear that she may start something akin to a rampage, but her intended targets are… not exactly the most obvious."

Piggot frowned for a moment.

"We were observing her stashes, right?"

"All that we knew of, and yet she seems to have punched through all of them, collecting and collating her supplies. We do not know what she's intending to do, or who… if she blames the Barnes' we should expect her to attempt to kill them, but if she's seen the footage of what Himeko's done already, then she knows that they were victims, and that the object of her revenge is already dead. It's not a certain thing, but she might be attempting to leave the city?"

Piggot pinched the bridge of her nose.

"It doesn't make sense, cameras should have picked her up, especially with the focused angles, and yet they didn't, do we think she sabotaged them?"

She frowned.

"Alert the other branches of the PRT, and especially those around the containment sites for our S-Class threats, the damage she could cause is enormous if left unchecked."

Renick nodded and exited the room promptly, sensing that his orders were given, before Piggot turned to face Hana.

"Hana… tell me what you think she's doing…"

Miss Militia paused, before she turned to the map of the United States and placed one finger on Washington D.C.

"Canary."

Her voice was flat and she traced it, before turning back to Emily.

"Shadow Stalker is a girl driven by pride in her own abilities, with her faith in those abilities shattered she will try to prove to herself that she is still the "predator". If she had a target to focus on, such as Emma Barnes, she would attempt to do so, in this case, her target was removed conveniently, meaning that she has to do something else."

Hana pointed to the board.

"It's widely known that Canary's trial is a sham, and the convoy transporting her to her hearing has suffered protests and attacks by civilians, if I were Shadow Stalker, I would break Canary out using my abilities."

Piggot snorted.

"The girl was near psychotic, a terrible influence and a bully to her teammates."

Militia raised an eyebrow.

"Was she? Or was she controlled and dominated by another into being the stereotype of that girl's darkest fears, pointed and controlled as if to tell her she was over it while reminding her of the trauma she went through?"

Piggot frowned, Militia made entirely too much sense, and the woman's opinion of Shadow Stalker shifted.

"Meaning that if she wants to be taken seriously as a hero, and expects the Barnes case to go public… she'd have to come to the public with every single iota of support she could possibly drum up, which isn't going to be easy for her if she's indicted in the bullying campaign against Taylor Hebert…"

They both reached the same conclusion.

"If she earns enough favor in the court of public opinion, if she wants to be a hero, she'll do something outlandish enough to make her the PR darling of the day, whilst also making certain her career isn't completely scrapped as a side effect of the damage she herself committed under the effects of the Master…"

Piggot grimaced as she spoke.

"What is the update on Canary?"

Hana's mouth set in a frown, the thin line betraying her disapproval at the entire process.

"Permission to speak freely, Ma'am?"

At Piggot's nod, she continued. "She's a terrified child getting the book thrown at her for no reason, and we all know it, she didn't do any of what she's been accused of, and everyone knows it, but this inane stunt is simply meant to serve an example for Human masters."

Hana stopped as Piggot raised her hand.

"An update, please."

The woman nodded.

"All trial and hearing preceedings are as normal, and the justice department has refused to offer her any differences as far as I am aware. She's been kept in level 5 brute restraints, and gagged to prevent any use of her power. Despite all of this, her own lawyer is a failure of a defense attorny thrown into a role by the state. It is a gross miscarriage of the justice system I loved the most about this country."

She wrinkled her nose, lips flaring in a growl.

"It reminds me of the way justice was dispensed in my former village."

Piggot felt her anger, felt the rage against what had happened to her suffuse her words as Miss Militia recomposed herself.

"The sham trial is exactly that, and the kangaroo court they'll construct will doom this young woman to the birdcage. The place where actual monsters go."

"Thank you, Miss Militia. I will take this into consideration."

The Kurdish woman nodded, tugged her bandanna up on her mouth and marched out of Piggot's office.

Turning back to the view over Brockton Bay, Piggot thought.

One the one hand, if Shadow Stalker was targeting the convoy, she owed it to her superiors to try and stop the girl. Simply because she could get herself hurt or killed, and others as well.

On the other hand… while she'd ransacked her equipment caches throughout the city… and while it had been missed in the initial foray, Piggot calmly noted that lethal bolts, stored in each cache, hadn't been taken, only the tranquilizer arrows, and spare equipment, rather than the heavy caches of lethal bolts.

If Stalker was truly trying to turn over a new leaf… would it not be fitting to allow her one single shot at it?

She looked out to the city and thought about her conversation with Himeko, she was allowing that woman one chance to manage her group of teenage apocalypses… and if she failed chances are that the world would go tits up and her city might explode.

Also, it would shove a fat fucking middle finger in the face of Rebecca Costa Brown, the uptight, conniving bitch.

Was Piggot political enough to get egg on the face of her largest pain in the ass in the PRT? No.

Was she petty enough to let a girl have her shot at playing teenage Madcap again on the off chance that she truly meant to be a hero?

Not entirely.

She'd give marching orders to her capes, and attempt to assess the information network that they all lived in, if it was satisfactory, if the case against Canary was going poorly… then she'd see about setting up Stalker.

Canary did not deserve what was being done to her, and for once, Piggot was in a position to do something about it, with an entirely deniable asset.

She couldn't lie, as she sipped her water and chuckled, a part of her wondered if this was how a supervillain felt when they plotted their large scale schemes.

She raised her glass of water and muttered.

"I hope you make the right decision, Sophia."

A/N: I don't have too much to say here, just that this was hopefully entertaining and enjoyable to read.
From an authorial standpoint, I like exploring this slightly… dare I say sunnier Emily Piggot? She's better off here partially because she didn't let herself go as much after Ellisburg, and also because she's not had the crippling injury of canon. As for Sophia, several of you have been clamoring to know what's happened with her, do I have plans for her? Absolutely, are they going to be center stage while we're focused on the crew in Brockton? Not really, maybe you'll get an interlude at the end of Calm, when that airs. But it might not fit to show her part there!
From an IRL standpoint, in 3 days, the anniversary of the date I lost my sister will happen, coincidentally, it happens to be my birthday, I'm not sure how long it'll be until I return with another chapter, I want to believe it'll be as soon as next week, but I just don't know. I'm sorry, folks.
Thank you, as always, to my wonderful patrons.

Ascendant Hearthkeepers: MITH HAT, Danielle Young, and Unknown B

Cloudburst Hearthkeepers: Ryan Silviera and Z Long, Achronia, DeAndre Bates,

Voidborn Hearthkeepers: UNSC Kawakaze, Shay Lewis, Ben Holmes, Argon, and Bloodraven,

Without your support, I would not be able to do what I do, thank you from the bottom of my heart for every ounce of support you've given me.
Thank you to my fans on discord, and my lovely beta readers, keeping the works in check and allowing me to write freely.
If you like what I'm doing here, please leave a like/comment/kudo, I love receiving them and they make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. If you're able to, please consider joining the ranks of my patrons, your support means the world to me.
We also have a discord, and I'd love to hear from you all there!

Relevant Links:
Discord: Join the Firebird's hearth Discord Server!
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=38054869

I am interested in seeing what will happen with Shadow Stalker/Sophia Hess. Hopefully she isn't another Herrscher Candidate, because that would be an unstable bomb in the making, especially after the Emma Barnes fiasco.

Calm 4.1 New
This Chapter: Taking Command/Meeting the Competition

Taking Command: Murata Himeko

Himeko had excused herself from the living room by the time that Taylor finally finished sobbing and fell asleep. She told herself it was to let the girls have some space, but if she was being honest it was a profound sense of discomfort that ached at her as she stepped outside the apartment, and leaned against the balcony.

Casting her gaze to the stars above, the woman who bore the gem of haste before its absorption felt the flickers of the flame that burned within her rise. Even now, the gem and its persona were destruction focused, entirely devoted to the power of fire and that of a righteous blaze.

Himeko frowned at her fingers, the visible shifts in the flesh subtle, but with enhanced senses visible. The flickers of literal flame running parallel to the electrical impulses that transmitted every sensation and every thought from thought into motion. She looked at them and thought about how much this world could use some of the flames that she commanded.

That was how it started, of course. Rationalization, convincing oneself that you could use these powers for good. To specifically target people who needed the obliterating, overpowering force a Herrscher could deliver.

Himeko turned her gaze skywards, and her mind whirled.

There was no lack of suitable targets. The Empire 88, the Azyn Bad Boyz, the calamities that threatened this place on monthly schedules. The cragged monster that radiated death, the sleek killer beneath the waves, and the heartachingly twisted angel that soared above.

All were, in Himeko's opinion, easy, and choice targets. Endbringers were monsters, slaughtering millions, and the gangs in this city alone-

She shook her head sadly, that was how it started, the persona of a Herrscher was corruptive and vile, she'd only seen shades of that with Kiana, and she wanted desperately to hope for the best with her last minute gambit, and what she'd seen from Taylor and Lisa was promising. But she couldn't let herself get distracted, because her own persona sparked at the very thought of unleashing herself upon this city.

They do not deserve us.

Her persona was sultry even in her own mind, so much like a caricature of the sillier mobile games back home that Kiana and Mei had taken up, the latter often only at the insistence of the former.

It was easy to forget they were world destroying bombs when they acted just like the innocent teenagers that they…

That they were.

"Would you have us leave them at the mercy of their world?"

Her persona fell silent for a moment, before she purred back to life in answer.

I would fight them until they learned or died.

Himeko grimaced, and she felt her alter's sultry laughter in the surge of heat that bubbled and popped from her core out to her muscles.

This world deserved saving just like any other. But a part of Himeko wondered just how much impact she'd even have if she did her best. She could raise the proto Herrschers just as much as she'd done with Kiana, and yet-

You failed her. You failed Mei just as badly.

She turned to face the glass, knowing already who would be waiting for her.

Leaning against her side, reflected in the glass, the flickering, flamelike shape of her Herrscher persona took form, and it smiled at her, a smile that didn't reach its eyes as Himeko stared right back.

"You don't know that. Don't you feel the changes of this world? The air and soil and sky?"

Her persona let the smile slip from its lips, snarling instead and jerking itself forwards into a stalk, a stalk that rapidly began to appear more like a frenzied pacing.

You failed them Himeko. You failed me too. You cannot pretend this blood-slick world is any different from the one you RAN FROM!

The echoing shout was accompanied by a burst of brilliant flame that turned her pupils to stars and set a corona of glowing lights along her bones.

"We both know we can't go back. Why are you fighting so hard?"

Himeko didn't continue immediately, turning her gaze back to the skyline, speaking quietly, to herself more than anything, her body twisted away from the slightly ajar balcony door.

"Look out there, the skyline, you can see through my eyes just as I can feel your powers. What do you see from Humanity?"

Her alter refused to initially reply, but when it became clear that no response from Himeko would be forthcoming, a mental approximation of a sigh burned through her synapses.

Rats. Eating at the corpse of a dying Earth. An Earth that aches for its chance in the crucible, blazing to prove itself worthy of a space in the imaginary tree's vast cosmos.

Himeko nodded as it spoke.

The monsters are not of the Honkai, these people should have united in the face of their extinction, but they claw pettily at the scraps of each other. They bite and tear and destroy! A network of filthy animals. And yet you-

"still find them worthy, don't you?" is what you were going to say, isn't it?" Himeko coolly cut her alter off, whirling, she faced that flaming specter of her worst impulses, of the monsters she'd managed to buck in her last moments of life.

"You think that my affections for humanity make me weak, that they make me insufficient to unleash the powers I have been cursed with. You think this group of people are no better than that mockery of an angel in the skies. I don't agree. Am I disappointed in them? Absolutely. Am I angry at them? Absolutely. But you were once just like them, and remain so now, do you wish to become the monster again? Already, the PRT speculate on us, whispering about us, Piggot may keep them at bay for the moment, but if you and I have learned anything from our tenure in our world, it will not stop them."

No. They want us under their thumb.

"I was getting worried we'd never agree on something. You have changed, haven't you?"

No. You should burn them to ash.

Himeko bucked and gasped as her persona tried, for the first time, to truly force control upon her, flames bracketed her fingers, spreading cloying, warm, delightful heat from the depths of the place where the gem had beat against, her fingers twitched, her sword called to her side, hand almost reaching to the hilt.

"Get. Out. Of. My. Head." Himeko growled, and the alter let herself fade from the woman with a last, spiteful gout of heat flushing her cheeks and chest, malicious, fell giggling.

Bargaining. Argue with the power, convince it to help you, if you think hard enough you can convince yourself anything is true, and that the monster won't manipulate you into being its perfect pet.

How much of what Theresa and that old bastard had said was true? Could she rely on and trust Taylor and Lisa to actually keep their Herrscher's under control? Or would they be consumed and made into humanity's destruction the moment her back was turned.

She couldn't let that happen again, but she couldn't leave them alone.

She'd have to train them, watch them, spy on them, to make utterly certain, if her suspicions were incorrect, then there was no harm, but if they were…

A dark chuckle burned in her mind as her alter responded to the dark train of thought.

She turned to go back inside, shaking her head. She'd wait until Taylor woke up, recent events had proven that she didn't have the time she wished for anymore.

She cast her gaze over the three sleeping teenagers, well, two sleeping, one observing, Lisa being quiet and breathing slow, but her body heat didn't indicate a sleeping human being.

"Lisa. Did you need something?"

The girl sat bolt upright, somehow disentangling herself from her friends in the process. She met Himeko's gaze, and smiled without even a hint of an apology.

"I'd say I'm sorry… but you'd accuse me of lying. How can I help you?"

Himeko shook her head slightly, and pointed towards the kitchen.

When they'd resettled, with chairs pulled out, Lisa started the conversation.

"How can you read me so well?"

Himeko smiled.

"So simple?"

Lisa smiled at her, but a spark of annoyance burst in her eyes for a second, and Himeko raised her hands apologetically.

"Ok ok, it's not that much, really, you're all just easy to read for me because you're still a teenage girl and I've been teaching them for close to 10 years."

Lisa frowned at her, and Himeko smiled, tamping the urge to laugh down.

"Lisa… for all your excellence at acting, and you are a good actor, let no one disagree with you on that, you are still a teenage girl. You wear your emotions on your sleeve and your heart on your cheek. It's not the hardest conclusion to draw that you're feeling attraction to someone, and that you're envious of someone else in that room."

To say Lisa blushed was a bit of an understatement, she flushed bright red and Himeko saw the way her body shifted temperatures as she did it, and this time, the older woman giggled full and proud.

"I do not-!" Lisa hissed, before Himeko managed to collect herself, ceasing the laughter before sobering.

"I'm sure you didn't want to just ask me about how to impress Taylor, though a book shop tea date might be a good place to start~"

Lisa looked as though steam would come out of her ears for a moment, before her eyes flashed dangerously, and a shift in the atmosphere announced that her presence was being seen by something else.

Something that gave Himeko chills just seeing it in her gaze.

"Dreams is teasing me, but she also wants to know everything that you know about Herrscher's from your world, and no, I don't know why. But I'm curious too."

Himeko sits, and she ponders, she considers how trust is earned, not demanded, and how Lisa, of all three of the girls in danger, is at a crossroads, having zero reason to trust her own take, only the presence of Dreams keeping her here.

"There was a girl in my world, once."

Himeko tells her of Ragna, she tells her of the other members of her squad, she tells her of Rimestar and Thunder, of Void and Flame, and she tells Lisa of the changes, it is not until she reaches the personality bleed that Lisa actually becomes directly animated and interested.

"What do you mean by that?"

Himeko pauses, trying to remember if she's talked about this with Lisa, before continuing.

"You'll experience bleedthrough from your Herrscher core, the old personalities of the past hosts combining into you. The harder you fight… the worse the transition is. I'm sure you've noticed temptations, shifts in things already. Depending on what kind of authority Dreams manifests as, you might have a number of things occur, but I can't speculate on those, because we never encountered something so strange as a Herrscher of Dreams."

Lisa frowned at herself, seemingly deep in thought for a moment.

"She says that's strange, I think. Parsing her riddles is annoying, and she seems frustrated too. Maybe she can't speak normally?"

Himeko's eyes widened almost imperceptibly, if that was true… if a Herrscher was limited in what it could disclose to its own host.

"I think she apologized, but she's certain, I think, that there should have been a Dreams in your world, especially because of what she calls her "usage coefficient", whatever that refers to."

Himeko offered the smaller girl a slight smile.

"Multiplier of usage, perhaps she believes herself to be a valuable Herrscher?"

Lisa nodded.

"I think she is, if what little I understand about her powers, and the authority she's given me is true… ugh…"

She shuddered.

"I… want to trust you, but I'm not even sure if that's me anymore. Do you understand that?" Lisa hissed in a low voice.

"Heya, I'm soooo sorry to interrupt but like… why the fuck am I here?"

Amy's voice cut in, and both Lisa and Himeko turned to face her, the girl's heavily made up face materializing at the door to the kitchen as Himeko and Lisa blinked owlishly at her.

"Taylor wanted you here…?" Himeko began cautiously.

"See you say that but I don't believe you, you're both in here talking about something regarding Herrschers, and the tone you've both taken makes me think that you're comparing them to something like cancer… so spill, why do you actually want me here?"

Lisa was glaring at her, an expression matched in intensity by Amy's cool gaze right back, as Himeko took a moment to assess the two of them.

Amy was confident, unwavering, but it was a mask, she was clearly as good an actor as Lisa was in regards to hiding emotions from certain people, but there were tells.

Her hands were clenched, to such a degree that her nails, well, what little amounts of them that Himeko could see under the nail polish, were white from biting into her hands. Her breathing was steady, but the steady that only came from an enforced calm, one learned from a degree of either training or terrible experiences in childhood. It was an enforced calm that Mei occasionally had.

Lisa, by comparison, was not taking that many steps to hide her anger or her envy, and she wore the ugly green monster on her face.

That didn't bode well, she shouldn't be this envy so soon, yes, feelings were quite a thing to catch suddenly, as Himeko knew, but this kind of envy seemed more indicative of a Herrscher persona, and to a fault… Many were megalomaniacal. They did not want partners… they wanted to possess any object of their affections.

Was that what this was? Himeko liked to think of herself as a good judge of character, but if Lisa was experiencing assimilation and symbiosis with her persona already that did not bode well.

"She wanted you here. That's enough of a reason, isn't it?"

Lisa was nearly hissing, eyes narrowed into chips of green glass as she spoke, and Amy did not seem to be rising to the bait, at least not immediately, instead she raised a single eyebrow, and before she could reply, Himeko cut in.

"Lisa, enough. Amy, Taylor likes you, enough that she wanted her friend here in her moment of weakness. That's… really the reason, we want you here because she wants you here."

"Lisa."

Himeko flashed her a stern look, and the blonde shut up as Amy turned back to the living room, before she spoke up again.

"Look… sorry for interrupting, but if this is about those structures with you, Miss Himeko… they're not going away, and they were growing the last time I got a look at them."

"Structures?" Lisa asked, genuine confusion in her voice.

Amy looked back to Himeko, who nodded.

"Himeko was in the hospital for a time, and I got a chance to examine her with my powers… She has artificial structures growing within her body, and they're doing something very strange to her genome."

Lisa leaned forwards, jealousy forgotten as the idea of learning was dangled in front of her.

"What else is shifting?"

Amy looked again to Himeko, who nodded for confirmation, before speaking.

"I'm in the habit of giving trust, so you can disclose whatever you feel is appropriate."

Amy nodded and entered the room once more, sitting down next to the both of them.

"Right… so, Miss Himeko, the structures are altering your biology, they've restored your telomeres, and I don't think you age anymore, at least… not physically? It's confusing. You aren't entirely human anymore, either. There's something really foreign in your DNA and it is shifting you. I have no idea what it'll do, but it bears almost resemblance to animal genes? It reminds me of a couple of heroes I've seen before…"

Himeko herself leaned in, and turned her gaze to Amy.

"What do you mean?"

Amy froze up for a moment, before saying.

"Look, far be it for me to know much about this… but can I touch you again? Maybe I can get a better idea of what they're doing to you…"

Himeko shrugged and held out her hand, and after just a moment, Amy took it.

"Oh- oh wow… this is… this could revolutionize medicine… change, everything!"

She didn't stop looking for a few more moments, stopped replying entirely in that time, brow furrowed in intense concentration, her hand scrabbling fiercely on the tabletop. Before she finally stopped and leaned back, letting Himeko's arm go.

"You- I don't even…"

She rubbed at her arms, wrapping herself in them, before slowly stating.

"You're not even human anymore. You're something else, those structures have finished growing in your stomach and the ones on your back have transformed to match the ones on your stomach. Whatever was artificial about them is no longer artificial."

She paused, before continuing.

"They've completed a litany of changes all over your body, and I can say with certainty they've stopped for now."

"For now?"

"Those structures have a sort of dormancy… when I last saw them, they were frantically signaling with the other set in your spine, now they've gone to sleep. They're still as capable of change as they were, but they're just not reacting. I don't know why that is, I'm sorry."

Himeko closed her eyes and sighed.

"That's about what I expected, I'm afraid. But you were saying things about revolutionizing the medical industry?"

Amy smiled and began gesturing animatedly.

"Those structures can influence and change you at a molecular level and they do it completely harmlessly, this isn't super rough changes either, they're seamlessly blended with your DNA, you've got a like, central structure melded seamlessly into your ribs. Also! I think I can make them!"

Himeko froze, stuttering.

"Ah, y-you can make them?"

A nightmare situation. A girl who could manufacture stigmata and Herrscher cores? Someone who could create that, combined with a burgeoning friendship with Herrschers who could make armies, and rule the mind…

She'd thought Void was bad.

"Amy, promise me you will never make them unless the circumstances call for it, ok?"

The girl nodded, seeming to grasp the significance of what had been stated all at once. Lisa herself had remained quiet, perhaps having a conversation with Dreams.

"Lisa, we'll have to fill Taylor in on this when she wakes up, do you trust me to do that?"

The blonde shook her head, smiling a fox-like grin that was all teeth as she said.

"I don't trust you, Dreams does, which scares me more than anything. She trusts you and Taylor, and she trusts no one, she's whispering dark secrets about everyone to me the moment I pay attention to them, but with you and Tay she doesn't even care?"

Lisa stopped, cutting herself off, before she shook her head once again.

"So no, I want to be there."

Himeko nodded.

Meeting the Competition: Lisa Wilbourne

"So… this is who she falls for?"

Lisa rubbed her temples, separating from that unfortunate conversation hadn't been one of her proudest moments, and that said nothing about the fact that her persona was screaming at her to trust in two random people she'd never met.

Yes, Himeko was warm and affectionate and terrifyingly smart, and Taylor seemed like distilled sunshine.

She could understand very much why she should trust them and that only made it far worse.

Now she was jealous, and it sucked.

Lisa had thought herself better than this, thought herself superior, for goddesses sake if she was wanting for feminine companionship then Brian's sister was right there. Or Brian himself. But no, she didn't want either of them that way, so why was it so frustrating when she caught the way that Amy looked at Taylor like that.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

She shook her head, and her alter calmly replied.

"I am, quite literally you. You're better than pining after this girl, especially when all you're competing with is that."

Lisa smirked idly.

"No, but don't we have better things to do? More important stuff to worry about?"

Dreams answered in a pulse of memory and feeling.

Coil sends her, in an alternate reality to check on the wreckage, ordering her to take it back with her via hands alone.

In another, she meets Taylor on her first night out, shortly after the girl takes on Lung, of all people, and puts a stop to him, saving her and the undersiders.

They stop for a moment, the memories passing and her alter stating simply.

"We're connected to other places, pieces of our pasts, areas you touched in other lives. People you interacted with, everywhere we left a mark. They're fading already as you stabilize, coming into your powers. But we know what Coil's powers are now. We know what his goals are, do you think Taylor doesn't want to help you? You know her."

Lisa shakes her head, the girl was too good, she would throw herself into helping out, the moment she could, and that meant… that maybe, maybe she had a chance to come out of all of this in the place she wanted.

Free of Coil.

"Alright. You have my attention. Let's figure out how we kill this bastard."

Her alter self smiled, and she felt the pulse of exuberant happiness burn into her. This was her element, right? She had a team, she had allies, and she had one mean bastard to take down. This would just have to be their first stop, although if Himeko's impulses towards the Nazis were anything to go on, she'd be targeting them shortly too.

Coil was confident, incredibly so, and his powers being unexplained made things harder, but not so much harder.

"Can you watch these… alternates of him, Dreams?"

Dreams answered in a riddle, and Lisa rolled her eyes.

"I'll take that as a yes."

"Himeko, you have to slow the bleedthrough on Taylor, please."

Amy and Himeko's voices from the kitchen made themselves apparent, and Lisa frowned, listening.

"I don't know if that's possible. Bleedthrough is subtle, it could be as simple as shifts in personality quirks or as complex as total assimilation."

"Total assimilation!?"

Himeko must have shifted, based on the way the chair creaked as Lisa listened.

"Yes. Rimestar assimilated the persona of her Herrscher self utterly, it's not an exact science, I just… pay attention to her, learn who she is and pay attention, the same goes for Lisa too."

"I- I can't, this is too much, why am I being asked to do this?"

"You're not. I won't ask this of you, watching over people is not your task, and you can walk away if you want to."

A pause, a dish scraping gently, the sound of running water echoing in her ears.

"I… is it ok to leave?"

The water turned off, Himeko placing a dish down on the towel based on the muffled thump.

"Amy… you're friends with Taylor, but that doesn't mean you're her caretaker or responsible for her decisions. If you need time to think, to process this… that's acceptable, you don't need to ask permission for that."

"But… you care for her, right?"

"Yes, Amy, I care for her, but I also have the responsibility to watch her. If she were to transform, it would be my responsibility to bring them back to their human sides."

"And if they don't…?"

Silence filled the air.

"We don't need to think about that." Answered Himeko gently.

"But-"

"Don't. It's not a road you should go down, not so soon. Ok?"

"That's bullshit. I see death all the time, why are you so afraid of confirming that's exactly what will happen if you can't turn them back?"

A sigh, and then a chair moving across the floor.

"Because it's not pleasant? Because I would spare you the pain if I could?"

"Fuck. You."

Amy stormed out of the room a moment later, stopping when she saw Lisa.

"Can you believe this?"

Lisa paused, before she shook her head. A part of her wanted to be even more envious, but a part of her also… understood.

If Taylor was in the line of fire by a hero who was as terrifying as Alexandria and as warm as any mother could be… then so was Lisa.

They could die if they fell to the Herrscher powers they both bore.

Was this not just out of one fire into another?

"Fuck her. Fuck this, you need to control this shit, yeah? People used to tell me I'd be nothing more than a villain. I didn't know who my dad was at the time, now I do. I may be the daughter of Marquis, that isn't going to stop me from being a hero."

She pressed a finger to her chest.

"And fuck anyone who says otherwise."

She stood up and yet, before she turned.

"You don't have to be better than everyone, Lisa, but you can control it. If Tay believes in you, then I do too. Fuck everyone else, be who you want to be, and be… the best at it."

She stood up, lower lip quivering slightly, and Lisa offered a faint smile at her.

"Yeah. I think I will."

The rest of the morning came, eventually, and when Taylor stirred, Himeko strode back into the room, and stood, legs slightly apart and hands behind her back.

"We've got work to do. Training for all of you."

All three teenagers froze.

"Did I stutter? Breakfast is in the kitchen, eat, and then get ready to go exercise, Taylor, your dad is going to meet us out there, he's got some ideas too."

"Why?" Asked Lisa.

"Because, to be blunt, you and Taylor need to learn to handle your powers, and that's going to be rough on both of you, your dad has some contacts who have directed us to an old quarry, where you can go as wild as you wish."

She smiled at them, and yet all Lisa felt was a chill run down her spine.

Taylor's look of sheer terror did not help things in the least.

A/N: This is a shorter arc, with a few chapters more or less getting into training and the like. Amy continues to pep talk these two into a place where they hopefully won't go complete city destroyers, and reveals some things about herself too!

This is, however, our calm before the storm, and I'm very excited for what happens next.

Voidborn Hearthkeepers: UNSC Kawakaze, Shay Lewis, Ben Holmes, Argon, and Bloodraven,

Without your support, I would not be able to do what I do, thank you from the bottom of my heart for every ounce of support you've given me.

Thank you to my fans on discord, and my lovely beta readers, keeping the works in check and allowing me to write freely.

If you like what I'm doing here, please leave a like/comment/kudo, I love receiving them and they make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. If you're able to, please consider joining the ranks of my patrons, your support means the world to me.

Relevant Links:

Discord:
https://discord.com/invite/v52c6Zd3Pz

Last edited:
Just checking, do you mean Jealousy or Envy?

Definition:
Envy is when you want what someone else has, but jealousy is when you're worried someone's trying to take what you have.

Calm 4.2 New
This Chapter: Powers out to play/Himeko is… weird, right?

Powers out to play: Amy Dallon

"I want both of you checking in every five minutes. That goes for you too, Himeko."

Amy was standing at the center of the massive quarry's center and her withering stare was currently laser focused on both Taylor and Lisa, who were shifting under it.

"I don't care what your powers are doing to you, I'm not letting you run out to experiment without routine check-ins with me. Himeko said she's going to be watching, but I trust my own medical opinion more than hers."

She didn't apologize, nor did she particularly look at Himeko as she spoke, but she knew the older woman might have taken offense.

That was fine. Amy didn't give a shit. The woman had waltzed into their lives and uprooted everything while simultaneously dooming her friend whomightonedaybemorebutnottoday to a seemingly slow ego death. How the fuck Taylor and Lisa were so calm about that prospect eluded her and made her want to shake them and scream at the same time. It was not fucking fair in the slightest.

So no, she wasn't pleased with Himeko, that the woman was cooly observing from a few meters to the side wasn't helping. Something about her made Amy's dangerous senses scream, as though she were waiting for an excuse to do… something.

She breathed in, and focused.

"Tay, Lisa, come here for a moment."

She reached down, feeling the scraggly grass in her hands. The quarry was long abandoned, and nature had begun to seriously reclaim the gigantic hole bored into the earth, grasses and life were springing up in every which way and shape. It was that life that she needed now, as Lisa and Taylor came within reach, Amy snapped stalks of the grass off and felt them begin to change as she shaped.

It almost always took her breath away to feel it as her powers really went to work. The weave and ebb of life shifted under her hands as it twisted into the new form.

"I want you both to wear this."

She held out what looked like a small bracelet that pulsed faintly blue.

"This will keep both of you apprised of your health, if it turns orange, stop what you're doing, if it turns red, immediately stop and call for me, and I'll get to you as quick as I can. They'll last for at least an hour or so so long as you don't overtax them, and Tay… what in the fuck is that."

Amy pointed to the scuttling… thing, that Taylor was surreptitiously, and poorly trying to hide behind her back.

Taylor, to her credit, blushed and tried to hide it, but it didn't really stop moving. Daniel Hebert, her father, idly chuckled from the side, arms folded over his chest.

"I can literally hear it scuttling, so fess up."

"I may have modified a spider-"

"Huh. Ok. Let me see."

Taylor brought out the scuttling beasty, and Lisa moved backwards just a bit.

It was like no spider that Amy had ever seen, the carapace a smooth, glossy white shade shot through with lines of deep green and blue. It did not appear to have visible eyes, and it moved on 6 legs rather than 8, the front legs and pedipalps, alongside chelicerae being fused into some form of large… blunt appendages.

Touching it, the creature seemed completely content with itself, and it was still… alive?

"How is it alive?"

Taylor shrugged.

"I wish I could tell you, it works via a fusion of my original powers and my… Herrscher powers, I think."

"And what were your original powers, Tay?" Amy calmly replied as her fingers felt along the carapace. Lisa, recognizing the little beastie no longer posed a threat, moved in closer as well, a mix of morbid curiosity on her face at the thing as it waved its strange appendages at them.

"Bug control and sensing, out to an enormous range."

Amy's fingers tapped their way down its strange carapace until they reached a part she could make contact with, and she had to suck in a gasp as her powers finally pierced the veil of secrecy.

"This is fascinating… resonating clubs as a form of weapon? All powered by the radiation you emit? Finely tuned vibration senses giving it perfect coordination and grace? Webbing too? This is beautiful… What's his name?"

"I didn't think of one. I made him to defend the people close to me. Those clubs on his front-"

Lisa finally spoke.

"Generate shockwaves of blunt force that throw people around like dolls… Taylor… this is amazing."

Tay flushed, and Amy fought the urge to smirk, failed, and felt that smirk turn more gentle as the girl looked away from the both of them and mumbled something.

Her eyes made contact with Lisa and an unseen, wordless exchange passed between them.

We're never letting her live this down.

Agreed.

Alongside it came a grudging sense of vague respect for the other girl, one that made her angry at herself. How dare she like other people besides Tay, other people sucked and made life for everyone difficult.

She consciously blocked out the voice in her head that whispered continuously.

Vicky was there for youuuuu.

That didn't count. Vicky was her sister and that's what they were for, pissing off mom and making dumb mistakes.

Which did bring up the question, did she think this particular course of action was a mistake?

Amy looked out to where Taylor was stepping into a cleared section of the quarry and rubbing her hands. Hotaru the knight trailing behind her and her little spider at her heels. Granted… little was a misnomer, the creature was not exactly small, perhaps twice the size of a large wolf spider. Definitely really big for an arachnid.

Lisa was biting her lip.

"Why are you worried about her?"

The response burst from Amy's lips with much more jealousy than she'd intended, and Lisa looked over at her for a moment, before she smirked.

"So quick to rise to jealousy, is this how you always begin conversations Panpan?"

Amy tried to ignore the way that made her feel. She should not like being mocked, what kind of idiot liked it when a pretty girl called them a silly nickname.

A silly nickname she'd asked to be called.

Oops.

"Ignoring the fact you just discovered… that, about yourself. I'm worried and I'm not worried. I don't exactly like the implication that my literal ego death is staring me down from a few months to years away. I'm distinctly uncomfortable with the idea of the fact that the "liking" I have towards her isn't even something I know stems from me."

She paused for a moment.

"I don't even know if I should be telling you any of this. Because frankly, I shouldn't trust you. I shouldn't act like we're friends, and I definitely shouldn't trust Himeko, no matter how much my own head and powers scream at me that I should."

Amy snorted and rolled her eyes.

"Suuuureeee, it's hard to spill your guts to people you're not attracted to, what does that say about you right now?"

Lisa turned slightly red, and spat back.

"I'm trying to be serious with you!"

Amy chuckled.

"And you're failing. Talking about our friend's imminent ego death and possibly yours too isn't getting us anywhere. We've gotta learn more, and sure, I'm really fucking mad at her-"

Amy jerked a finger up and pointed at Himeko, who was blocking an attempt from Taylor's spider to web her up as their friend commanded it from across the quarry.

"But she's kind of our only real chance at learning enough about our powers to stop them, yeah, especially from eating our friend alive while she's just gotten her life back."

Lisa bit her lip, shaking her head slightly.

"Fine. You're right, I hate you for that, I'm supposed to be the smug asshole in the room, you're stealing my entire thing."

Amy giggled, long nails splayed across her mouth.

"Please, I'm just an asshole, I only happen to be right about anything medical."

"But, that said, Panpan, I really don't trust her."

"Why not?" Amy asked, as Himeko moved across the quarry with Taylor, slowly explaining something to her, arms held out and gesturing as Taylor's form shifted slightly, the dark haired girl nodding as her father watched.

"Look at her. Good things in this world don't just happen because someone is kind. She wants something but I don't know what it is. Her kindness has to be an act, and I'm surprised that you're as taken with her as you are."

Amy frowned, watching as Taylor extended her hand and a glow began to pour from it, the small spider waving its clubs in the air in a motion that almost looked like a dance.

"I don't know. There's nothing ulterior about her motives. She's trying to stop both of you from becoming full Herrschers, could that be her motive?"

Lisa laughed bitterly.

"We're walking bombs, from what she says, possessed by abominations and doomed to never age. I don't know about you, but I'd like to actually age, you know?"

Amy shook her head.

"Don't read into it that much." She pointed at Himeko.

"Her structures are done growing, but she's also physically and mentally mature, she's a fully grown woman, I guess her powers just have a way to tell and lock it off. Taylor's powers haven't been the same, and neither are yours based only on what you've told me about them. The only real thing in common we all likely share is the baseline enhancements, and we've got nothing on her."

Lisa grumbled, continuing even as she nodded.

"I don't know what's worse, the fact that this kind of power seems to just pick you, or that I have someone else in my head telling me that Himeko is as trustworthy as she appears to be and that we should be working with her."

Amy frowned.

"Well, fuck those obligations, what do you want, Lisa?"

The other girl froze for a moment, seemingly lost in thought, and as she processed what Amy had said, Amy continued.

"I told Tay on the first day we met she didn't have to be better than the bullies. I didn't quite anticipate one of them would turn out to be a master and have a psychotic obsession over her, but I don't think any of us could have anticipated that particularly sadistic turn of fate."

Amy paused, and lit one of her cigarettes.

"Look, I don't know the complete answer to your powers, I have no idea if they threaten ego death as much as I think they do. I think you're right to be scared shitless of that result, and I think Himeko is an ass for dropping that into your lap and expecting you to take it as calmly as you have."

She waved her cigarette around, pointing to Taylor.

"Look at what she's doing right now, girl is off fucking training her new abilities and powers as though it's completely accepted and meshed with her mentality, and she's beyond scary. Unlike her, I'm still flesh and blood and can be shot, she? She could just refuse to die if what happened with Himeko is any indication. She can create living creatures that are at the full level of any of us, and if you look at the way that Hotaru acts it's pretty clear she's got her own will. My mother thought I was the guaranteed villain, but I've got nothing on her."

"Your mom thought you were a villain?"

Amy paused mid-rant, and rolled her eyes.

"Lisa, I'm a damned superhero, shitty and or dead parents are free with your powers."

She continued unabated a moment later adding context for Lisa's benefit.

"She thought I was a villain because Marquis is my father and I have the evil eyes of only one of his children. She hated it more because I just got more into goth shit as I got older. She hated it more when I actually got my powers and was capable of doing so much more than she ever imagined. I tried to heal my uncle back to life but he was gone. I snapped, I think, at that moment. Thus, I find it so fucking hard to give a shit about what Carol wants from me, regardless of whether or not she's my "mother"."

Another drag on the cigarette, a puff of brilliant, multicolored smoke.

"I can't get sick like you or Tay can, I don't really even age like you guys do, that's a conscious choice on my part every morning, to make myself just a bit older, just a bit more mature, measuring out the changes in front of the mirror. I have an intimate look at the cellular biology of everyone who touches up or brushes against me. I could manufacture horrors that would make Bonesaw blush."

She smiled at Lisa, and Amy watched the blonde flinch.

"Terrible power, horrible power, monstrous power. Given to us at our literal darkest moments. So no, I don't think we have to live up to any moral "standard" that gets picked for us. And fuck anyone who says otherwise. Does that say something really bad about my attitude towards the general state of the world? Yeah, but fuck the world, world hasn't done shit for me, and it fucking stuck me with my kidnappers, too!"

She flicked the butt onto the ground, and nodded as flowers began to sprout from it.

"Seriously, your powers are some sort of cold reading stuff, right? You could destroy people, convince them to do horrible things just by figuring out their darkest little secrets. I could create weapons of biological warfare capable of murdering countries and exterminating the planet. We're fucked up, broken teenagers who got given the worst thing anyone could have decided we deserved. Powers that we use purely for the thrills because they give us a sense of control in this fucked up, out of control world."

She looked and watched as Taylor sparred with Himeko, tagging in Hotaru occasionally. Amy pulled another cigarette as Lisa watched her.

"And what do we do with those powers?"

She paused, laughing dejectedly and snorting.

"We punch the shit out of people less fortunate than us."
Lisa shared a sad glance.

"Think about it, Accord could literally revolutionize the world in regards to food planning and solving the logistical constraints of it enough to end world hunger, instead he sits on his ass in Boston and runs a gang. Can you imagine if Armsmaster decided to put his tinker specialty towards stuff like, making tools that could reverse engineer other tinker tech? We put Dragon up on a pedestal all the time for that shit, but what if other tinkers would do it too?"

"Instead they beat the shit out of people who are fucked up because we don't have other options, because our world is sliding desperately towards an apocalypse we can all see coming, but no one thinks they can solve!"

A clang sounded in the quarry, and Amy's eyes flicked up to see Hotaru helping Taylor up and Himeko grinning as she shifted back to her starting stance, the massive, albeit blunted and dulled training weapon handled with one hand as easily as one could lift a stick.

"I want to be curing cancer or fixing all the issues with our genome. Can you imagine if Bonesaw and I combined our literal genius minds to do something like cure aging and genetic issues? Can you imagine the world we could build if people were more foresighted and willing to work together? Can you imagine what I could do if I could make every human being as fast and strong as Himeko? If I could create a natural symbiote that lived side by side with a human being and enhanced them completely?"

Lisa started giggling.

"What's so funny?"

The blonde tried to stop, and failed, before choking on the tears and laughter, she managed.

"A goth is explaining why the world sucks to me, a goth girl who cares about the world, isn't that a paradox?"

Amy tried to resist, but her lip was curling and all too soon she was giggling.

"Seriously, what the hell-"

Then the two of them were laughing again and neither managed a phrase until Taylor's bout with Himeko ended with her on her butt and Hotaru smirking at her even as she bent down to help the other girl up.

"So… what do you think you want your powers to do?"

Lisa chewed at her lip, her back on the ground and face aimed at the sky.

"I think I want them to explain themselves, or to give me a sense of how much I'm going to change, if I even change, assuming she's telling the truth"

She froze for a moment, Amy offering a hand to help her up.

"Then… time to demand an explanation, right? I think it's beyond fucked that you're worried about losing your identity, but maybe you don't have to, who knows, maybe this fusion won't kill you."

Amy looked down at her hand.

"My manton limits mean I can't affect myself, but my own powers let me make things that affect myself. Symbiotic creatures that can interface with my own biology and change my senses. I use them during Endbringer battles, and to produce the stuff I use for my hair and makeup. None of that expression of my power is villainous or evil, and I use it purely for myself. Who's to say that Himeko is the one to judge what you can become or what you can do with your powers? She says these powers will meld with you, why not ask your powers themselves?"

Lisa looked at Himeko and Taylor, letting Amy's words sink in.

"Talk to my powers?"

Her voice felt timid to Amy's perception, and the goth continued unabated.

"Yeah. Don't get me wrong, it was bizarre at first, but I ended up figuring out my powers… want to be used, feelings and impulses communicated in cellular growth and the like. It's why I started volunteering for the wing of the hospital that specializes in gender surgeries and the cosmetics department. Healing is practically boring for me, and I figured, well, if it's boring for me, could it be boring for the powers too? Maybe I'm so fucking messed up all the time because my entire existence has been boiled down to "heal people who get fucked up". So I started experimenting, and… it got better."

"Your powers fixed your depression for you?" Lisa deadpanned, and Amy started giggling, enough to snort a bit from the sudden impulse.

"God I wish. Nope, it didn't fix my depression, but it made me… happier, more able to survive. It gave me an outlet to do something with all that existential pissyness at the world, so if what you've said about a voice in your head is true… why not try talking to it, huh?"

Lisa paused, chuckled and snorted for a bit, and as Taylor, finally tired out from her sparring, came within earshot, she spoke once more.

"I cannot believe you."

"Can't believe her about what?"

Lisa flipped Amy the bird, a gesture the goth returned eagerly as she spoke to Taylor, who was walking towards them, just inside earshot.

"Amy's given me a stupid idea that might work really well in regards to our powers. Did you finish up training for the moment?"

Taylor shook her head.

"Nope, just here to check in, Himeko wants to test powers next and the way we're expressing our melding. She also wants to spar with you a bit, Lisa."

Amy watched the blonde pale, and stutter slightly.

"Sh-she's joking, right? She's not serious about that, right? Tay?"

Taylor just placed hands on both of her shoulders and calmly said.

"It's ok, we suffer together with Amy."

Amy froze.

"What."

A redheaded, smiling demon grinned maliciously at all three of them as she bore down on them in stiletto heels.

"Ready to get some exercise?"

Amy felt a chill run down her spine as all the hairs on her neck stood up in one fell swoop.

"Tay, Tay she's not serious, right? Right!?"

Amy watched Tay's expression as she turned to face her, and that expression was full of pure and unbridled monstrous terror.

Amy saw Lisa pale, and she realized that Taylor's mild ranting about the woman being an unfairly pretty demon, might have an echo of truth to it.

The incredibly smug smirk on Himeko's face all but confirmed it.

What's Her Deal?: Lisa Wilbourn

"Tay… if I ever doubt you again… shoot me."

Lisa heard Amy panting and mumbling from behind her as she groaned and begged her stomach desperately to not evacuate its contents onto the ground.

Taylor just looked at her, and had the audacity to laugh, despite being just as red in the face as Amy, and just as visibly exhausted as Lisa felt.

"Lise- if there's anyone we need to shoot, it's probably her."

Taylor inclined her head at Himeko who was checking things on a clipboard she'd materialized from who knows where and occasionally nodding to herself.

"Do you think we can?"

Taylor chewed her lip for a moment.

"I dunno, I expect she'd dodge, break, or laugh off anything us mere mortals can throw at her one on one… but what about as a team?"

"Get close to her with Hotaru first, use her as a distraction predominantly… Lisa and Amy close in and go for the throat only after she's beaten down."

Himeko looked up at the three of them, and smirked.

"If you're going to say all of that, you should actually act on it, let's have a spar."

Taylor paled again, but she swallowed a moment later, and then Hotaru began to move.

Lisa was left flat footed as Amy, beside Taylor, lit up the entire battlefield with glowing, blindingly bright motes of something she'd pulled from the earth, just in time to hear sibilant, silver quick laughter in her ears as her "self?" joined in.

Are we playing? Oh host mine? Or are you going to lose as fast as those two will?

Lisa grimaced and felt a flare of her jealousy throw itself at her.

Have I touched a nerve~ Oh self mine~? You know they'll lose without your help.

Lisa rolled her eyes, as if they could win.

You could lose less rapidly.

She gritted her teeth, stamped her foot once, and yelled.

"FINE!"

Which was perfect timing to get a bundle of dark hair named Taylor to slam into her gut and send her stumbling backwards until she tipped ass over teakettle and landed on her not padded enough butt.

Both she and Taylor spoke in unison.

"Ow."

Himeko laughed at them, from where she was currently wrestling Amy into a submission hold of some kind, with the brunette kicking feebly at her as Himeko didn't give any ground. She and Taylor stayed like that for a time, watching Amy just calmly fight back, before Himeko seemed to get concerned and looked down at the woman.

"How are you doing that?"

Amy grinned, and snapped her head up and back.

Himeko dropped her and staggered backwards with a shout of surprise.

Amy, freed, landed and flicked her fingers around some dust on the ground, seeds and plants began to sprout, rapidly swarming towards Himeko, bursting from the ground, while she breathed, she shouted.

"NOW, DO IT NOW."

Taylor kicked up and off of Lisa, and Lisa found herself pushed into the dirt as Taylor flicked herself forwards, and blinked once.

When she opened her eyes, light poured out of them and she hit Himeko with a determined, potent charge that the older woman barely managed to get out from under her. Taylor's spider leaping off her shoulder mid motion and slamming it's forearms together.

Lisa had processed that "concussive shockwave" likely meant some form of brute force, but she had no idea it would be that loud.

She clasped her hands to her ears, desperately trying to stop them from ringing as Himeko, blasted backwards and into the vines and plants Amy was weaving, slammed into them hard enough to pulp the first wave, and thoroughly ensnare the redheaded woman in the mess of juiced bark and tree pulp.

The fact that it didn't even stop Himeko left Lisa standing slackjawed.

The woman struggled a bit, measured her force against the vines, and then tugged sharply.

Another gunshot loud CRACK echoed through the quarry as Himeko ripped the near tree that Amy had grown out of the ground, roots and all, before she smirked, and that evil, evil grin must have communicated something to Taylor, because the dark haired girl flicked her hand forwards and both her spider, and Hotaru charged as one.

It wasn't enough.

Amy's plants, so desperately reaching for Himeko, turned to ash in less than a second as Himeko's form blurred forwards, a streak of crimson that flashed in and out of Lisa's perception so fast she wasn't entirely sure she'd even seen it until Himeko chuckled, leaned down, and touched Taylor on the nose, and purred out.

"Tag, you're it~"

Taylor's face was priceless, and Amy and Lisa were bowled over a moment later as the shockwave from how fast Himeko had moved hit Amy first, and then Lisa. A current and shockwave of air and displaced gravel struck the ground around her as she suddenly stopped.

Lisa managed to get herself under control, stopping the ringing in her ears just barely long enough to see that Taylor was fine and Himeko was helping her up and speaking to Taylor evenly. She'd expected the clash to be fast, but not… that fast.

When Himeko had finished speaking to Taylor, she passed the girl off to her father and began moving towards Lisa.

Is determined to ask you details about the manifestation of your Herrscher powers, is equally determined to showcase what the influences of your persona can be expected to do. Will not take no for an answer.

"Lisa, ready to get a sense for what you can actually do?"

She felt her own face sour, felt her lips curl up as Amy kept giggling at Taylor's elaborate gestures to Hotaru and her father.

"Fine. What do you want to know?"

Himeko dropped a hand down and Lisa took it almost automatically, the girl chastising her stupid alter as Himeko tugged her up.

"What can you do?"

Lisa, presented with such an earnest, open ended, clearly genuine question, chose snark, she had an image to maintain, after all!

"Do you have a polluted lake nearby?"

Himeko must have missed the memo, she didn't even look mildly annoyed, simply nodding and stating.

"The mine has a wastewater canal near the south side, will that work out for you?"

Lisa rolled her eyes, please, Himeko was missing the entire point of sarcasm and snark!

"Sure, fine, anything else?"

Himeko smirked, and flipped the tables.

"Would you happen to know anything about the boat graveyard disappearing?"

Lisa froze, and that pretty demon smugly grinned at her.

"I had a hypothesis and you just confirmed it, if you're curious as to how I knew or suspected in the first place, large-scale manipulation of matter isn't outside the realm of possibilities. I could've destroyed the graveyard myself-"

Himeko raised a hand, smiling, as Lisa began to speak, but the girl cut her off as several pieces of the puzzle clicked.

"Your powers are heat based, at least that's what your armor and costuming would very much imply, but you're restrictive of using them. The only public displays of what you can do are feats of superhuman strength that would make any brute blush, and the fact you dealt with Stormtiger in what amounts to seconds from our perspective. You're way faster than you let on, so my guess is that any energy manipulation your powers give you is liable to be massive in scale, devastating in power, and destructive to anything around you. Is that why you're so desperate for us to keep our power expressions small? Is that why we're in the center of this old quarry, that both insulates sound and prevents us from visibly showing off too much like, say, when Hotaru smacks something and a flash goes off? Or when Taylor's little… thing, claps it's front legs together and shatters rock?"

Himeko nodded, and for a brief moment, Lisa felt herself bristle as something in the woman's eyes seemed to appraise her. Something within them flickering ambitiously.

"Well done, my powers would likely level the boat graveyard, and then take the city with them."

Is not exaggerating. Powers capable of mass scale destruction, thermite grenades used on PRT Incident in boat graveyard match theoretical outputs for lab made pyrotechnics judged unsuitable for military usage. Is capable of generating such substances, or the heat needed to create similar effects. Scars on face are not human scar tissue, masked under a thin layer of freshly grown skin, likely a side effect of powers, regeneration, body is more energy dense than normal human-

Her power shut up after a moment as Lisa wrenched the valve shut, and Lisa felt a twinge that suggested she'd run a little closer than comfort for her power, risking a migraine, but luckily, she didn't need it analyzing Himeko that closely.

"So, your powers?"

Himeko pointed down at a massive pool of brackish, nasty wastewater, and Lisa sighed, before she shucked off her shoes and stepped towards the pool.

Something in her mind whispered at the potential of this place, of what it used to be, and what it could be.

The whispers grew louder as the acidic, painful water stung against her clothing, and she heard gasps from Amy and Taylor as light began to spread into her now closed eyes. Trying to focus, Lisa reached into the strands of what/was, and what/could be.

She thought for a moment, and then she pulled.

"That was the coolest thing I've ever seen. How are you feeling?"

Even Amy's normally taciturn and bitchy attitude hadn't stood up to that expression of powers, it had been slightly ruined when Lisa had collapsed after completing it, but it was still something she was astounded by.

Lisa tiredly shook her head in answer, her entire body feeling as though she'd run a marathon as she lay upon a carpet of deep green grass, calmly watching through half lidded eyes as Daniel Hebert and Himeko spoke a distance away from the three of them.

"What do you think they're talking about?"

Taylor's answer came instantly.

"He's very worried about me associating with you and Amy, less so Amy than you, because I'm pretty sure he's worried you're some sort of criminal mastermind after my unique powers, and are faking yours."

Amy let a grape from one of the vines above her drop into her mouth, chewing noisily before spitting the seed out.

"Because that's fucking likely. These are real, at least, completely real even to my power, and usually it's pretty good at picking up stuff that isn't. You have the scariest shaker powers I've ever seen Lisa, and I live in a city with Tiny Escher on the Wards."

The goth smirked at both of them.

"So, which gang are we going after first?"

Lisa couldn't stop herself, though she desperately wanted to.

"Coil."

Taylor's head moved up to look at her, curious and quizzical.

"Why him? He's basically a non player in the city, bar-"

Lisa shook her head.

"Yeah… sorry, don't know what came over me. Maybe the Merchants?"

Amy nodded.

"Not a bad play, they're basically a net loss on society, but what happens after we deal with them? Can we open rehab clinics and the like for all the people?"

Taylor raised her hand.

"I… might be able to help with that one."

That had both Lisa and Amy sitting up and looking at her.

"Do you think you're ready for another one?"

The girl shook her head shyly, before she clicked her tongue, and her spider skittered up her back to rest on her head.

"I've been considering designing more bugs, and also thinking about rehab clinics and the like, and I think, I think I can make something that would make that process easier, or even fix it altogether?"

Amy leaned over her shoulder, short hair brushing past Lisa's cheek.

"Ok, tell me more, let's hear out the idea."

When Taylor began, Amy listened with rapt attention, and Lisa tried to not think too hard about the soft hair that was resting on her shoulder.

"So, the liver in humans basically works like a filter and a cleaning device in equal measure, so I was thinking… what if I bend my radiation to work in that capacity? I'm pretty sure I can make something cute enough to not immediately make people run away, and it can act as a squeeze toy, just getting hugged while it does all the work."

Amy frowned.

"You mention your radiation doing alot of the heavy lifting here, but how are you going to make that work?"

Taylor held up her hands and shrugged, seemingly crestfallen.

"I wish I could explain it, but I just don't… know, I know I can do it, but I don't know how it works."

Amy tapped her chin, before stating flatly.

"Hmm, well, I suppose I could always get a human for you to test it on…"

Lisa and Taylor stared at her, and for a moment, neither made a sound.

Then Amy started chuckling and both of them relaxed for a moment, until she giggled and waved.

"Who needs a coma patient… I can just make a human."

Her grin evidently did not reassure either Lisa or Taylor, given the way Taylor's face was paling as a slightly unhinged grin made itself apparent on Amy's face.

Her giggling, leading to uneasy laughter amongst the trio, wasn't fun either.

"We should speak. Would you like to do this publicly or privately?"

Taylor had been forced up by Himeko earlier, the third member of their trio to join Himeko for something the demoness called sparring, and what Lisa and Amy agreed was a poorly disguised excuse to beat them up while sadistically smiling.

Lisa's face soured at the unwelcome intrusion, and Amy, catching the reaction, promptly reacted by shifting her attention to Lisa fully.

"You're terrified you'll become someone else. No? Oh wielder mine… that never should have been your worry. I am… you, in every sense of that word."

She felt the alien presence hovering at her shoulder this time, looking at Amy as well.

"Do you want me to answer the unasked question? The "sudden" source of your attraction? Would you be satisfied with the answer? Or would you demonize the way you feel simply because it is new to you?"

Lisa frowned, wondering if it was even an attraction.

"Perhaps, there are realities where we share attractions, there are realities where we do not. Who can say which is more relevant to your current situation, oh bearer mine."

Frustration gnawed at her, and she bit down on her teeth hard as her alter laughed.

I am merely teasing, to answer you, if you are truly as upset about this as you suggest. I can't answer whether this attraction in this circumstance is real or imagined, I can tell you you are jealous of how close Taylor and Amy seem to be, although whether that is because of your desire for intimacy with another person, or a desire for romance with a woman, is not something I can answer, and something only you can answer.

Lisa growled, just in time for Amy to reach out a hand and gently touch her.

"Hey, tell the spooky lady in your head I told her to shut it."

She's delightful~

Lisa almost snapped her hand away from Amy as that voice purred in her ears.

"She's arguing about things. Making really unhappy points."

Amy lit a cigarette as Himeko corrected Taylor's form and began another spar, moving at comparatively slow speeds. Lisa could actually see the motions this time!

"Tell her to shut the fuck up and actually help you first, then she'll get your attention."

Lisa smiled unconsciously at that.

Amy Dallon is attempting to make Lisa Wilbourn calm, is succeeding. Unknown power expressions are making Lisa Wilbourn stressed. Amy Dallon is worried, is nervous about identity lost, and is worried her first friend is going to die. Is worried you are going to follow her, and would like to consider you a friend.

Her power was blunt, unexpected in its entrance to her mind. She focused on Amy, saw how the goth girl looked away from her, preferring vastly to face Taylor out in the field and let her power off the leash.

Taylor is worried, is putting on a strong face for you and Amy, secretly believes she will be better off as another person, better off as a different human being. Better off as a different person. Is self sacrificing to an extreme.

Lisa frowned.

Amy saw the look, tracked her gaze to Taylor, and grimaced.

"She's a mess, so happy to have her first real friends that she's ready to throw everything away if it means she keeps us at her side."

Lisa raised an eyebrow.

"How did you figure that out? I'm basically psychic, it's not a surprise for me, but you don't strike me as the most observant person, at least when it comes to others."

Amy sighed, puffing out a series of purple smoke rings before she spoke once more.

"I'm not. Usually I couldn't be bothered by other people. She's hot, if I'm being blunt."

Lisa choked on her water.

"Wha-what?"
Amy blushed, visible even through the makeup, her voice reaching a higher octave as she protested violently.

"Do I need an explanation? She's just pretty."

Lisa spluttered for a moment as her power filled in the blanks.

Thinks both of you are attractive, would quite like to be in a romantic relationship with someone of a similar mentality to her.

She mentally chastised her power, but thanked in equal measure for at the very least not squicking her out with intimate details.

Desperate for any change in topic, she flatly stared at Himeko this time, asking Amy.

"What's her deal? Why do you think she's helping?"

Amy studied her nails.

"Pick a reason, me personally, I think her home is worse than what we've got, so she feels obligated to stick around and help us."

Lisa shrugged.

"Sure, but how much does that aid this place if she's sandbagging and sticking around us. I'd understand if she had some sort of crush on a hero here, but this is stupid beyond belief."

Amy nodded.

"It doesn't make sense, well, unless you believe her that all of you are bombs, which I personally don't have much room to doubt."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that I saw her intervene to try and stop a kidnapping, Tay, I mean, and the way she looked… with that mask on. Her entire demeanor changed… It felt like I was looking at someone else, some thing else that was wearing her body and her face. It was horrific."

Lisa turned to face Amy.

"Wait… you saw Taylor activate her full powers, like her eyes and everything?"

Amy nodded and shuddered visibly.

"She seems so calm, so at home with the idea she might lose her entire self. So devoted to the idea of a hero, I felt like I was crazy for screaming about it, but it has to scare you too, right?"

Amy Dallon is terrified, is scared this power will change her too. Is already infected, has been hiding it.

Lisa felt her stomach drop, stuttering, she asked a single question.

"When, how?"

Amy smiled wanly.

"The first time I ever touched Taylor and healed her, the marks appeared on my back a day later. I didn't know, at least, it didn't feel any different at first."

Lisa flinched.

"Then it started changing things about my powers. Making me calmer, less angry at everything. Gave me some perspective. I'm… scared, Lisa. I'm so fucking scared."

Her eyes glimmered.

"I don't even know why I should be telling you this. I should be talking to Victoria, but you're also marked like this, right?"

Lisa nodded numbly.

"How can you be so calm about it? This is the ego death of a person!? This is our lives, our identities?"

"Has she spoken to you yet?" Lisa tried to silence the tremble in her voice.

"No. Why?"

"Mine likes to talk to me, likes to tell me things, like how you're terrified, like how you've been scared for a long time of your powers and how this is only going to make it worse. She tries to reassure me that she's me and I'm her, and I don't know if that's going to actually be the case. She's made me a more honest and decent person, at least… I think she has."

"What does that mean?"

Lisa laughed bitterly.

"I don't know, that's the fucked part. Would I be honest about this to anyone else? I don't think so, I don't think I should be this honest."

Amy flinched, each word hitting home.

"I don't even know if I'm supposed to like people normally and she just won't fucking answer me. She won't give it to me straight, she won't tell me anything, and I'm just so, fucking, sick of it."

Taylor snapped her head up at the both of them, neatly sliding under a telegraphed, but still rapid blow from Himeko that had the redhaired woman also stopping their spar.

"Hey, you two alright?"

Himeko looked on from behind her, worried, but with something glimmering in the corners of her eyes.

"Tay… how do you cope with it?"

Amy opened her mouth and with it came the storm.

"Do you even care how it would feel to lose you?"

The girl grimaced, wiping at her eyes.

"I've had you in my life for less than a month!? I want to keep being friends, how are you ok with this persona taking you over!?"

Himeko raised her hands and stepped forwards.

"It's… likely to not be so grievous as that, again, bleedthrough isn't takeover, you'll only have some small-"

"AND HOW THE FUCK WOULD YOU KNOW? YOU'RE ONE OF THEM ALREADY, AREN'T YOU?"

Amy roared at Himeko, advancing on the older woman with fingers outstretched and anger in her eyes, anger pouring out of her in every motion as she forced herself towards the confrontation.

Eyes that were beginning to shine with what looked like black light.

Taylor and Lisa felt their hackles raise.

"HOW WOULD YOU KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE HIMEKO OF YESTERDAY, AND THE HIMEKO OF TODAY!? YOU SAID IT WAS SUBTLE."

She choked up, raising her hands and storming off, only to be intercepted, albeit gently, by Hotaru, who quietly, without a second thought, enveloped the girl in a hug.

Himeko offered a smile, but it wasn't one with any warmth.

"I could try and reassure you, but the truth is that I just don't know, this bleedthrough isn't an exact science, I could tell you it'll be fine and it could turn out to be terrible, I could tell you it would be awful and it could turn out fine. What do you want me to say, Amy? That this has an easy, explainable answer?"

The girl snapped out once more, biting and spitting her words at Himeko.

"I want you to tell me that my friend will be ok, that I won't be speaking to something wearing her fucking skin that isn't a stranger or master."

Himeko answered flatly.

"You won't."

"How can you be so sure?"

The woman studied her nails.

"Because none of you have exhibited typical Herrscher signs or symptoms in all the time I've observed you."

She sighed tiredly.

"Look, this likely isn't going to satisfy you Amy, but I really do want to help, I'm not in this for whatever you think I am, I'm genuinely here to help you three get a handle on your powers and there's not much else I'm going to do to stop that. Is that clear?"

Her voice remained warm, but with an edge, a hard edge.

"You have to be willing to trust me, or at the very least trust your teammates. I've been teaching children in your situation for years. I've watched them grow up and do great, wonderful things with these cursed powers, and I think you all can do the same. But as much as you've suffered, as great as the pain has been, you must learn to trust people once more. None of us can do this alone, you want to take down the merchants, yes? Then we need to train you in the use of your powers, even as unmanifested as they are. And yes, none of you have truly manifested your authorities or the full suite of powers that comes with them. I can only pray you never do."

Amy flinched, and Himeko kept going.

"You struggle to trust anyone in a position of power, don't you? Because of deeply painful experiences at the hands of one, someone who hurt and harmed you for their own benefit, I assume. Someone who views you as a convenient tool, hmm? Is that why you rebel? A parental figure then, most likely. So tell me, Amy, are you angry because your friends are staring down their deaths, or are you angry because you've finally had a taste of what you could actually do with these powers and I sound like I'm trying to repress you and keep you restrained with grave, terrible threats that might be useless if you turn out to be different?"

She flinched again, and Lisa felt bile rise in her throat as uncomfortable memories of her family came to the fore.

Never trusts authority figures. Holds that in common with Lisa Wilbourn and Taylor Hebert. Is used to more trusting kids, but is adapting well.

She forced herself to stop, before the pain in her head got deep enough to seriously injure her. Before the migraine could incapacitate her.

You know- oh host mine- agh! you could have elaborated you were a masochist better.

Her alter sounded like it was in pain? What?

Yes. I can feel that little worm of a power you have burrowing into my own skull right now.

"Your skull? You have a body?"

Her alter self chuckled, and then her body twitched as a fragment of that mental agony made its way to her own neurons.

Not as such. But I have enough of a presence that this hurts me too.

Lisa shoved that very interesting tidbit away for later, for when she was firmly away from this situation and could truly dive into it with a connection to PHO, a keyboard on hand, and enough coffee to make Void get banned again.

Truly, a sadist, oh host mine.

She rolled her eyes.

"Lise, care to enlighten the rest of us?" Taylor spoke, and Lisa cut herself off.

"Can we table this for later? Miss minime?"

She got a sense of vague approval, before her alter snapped its presence off.

"She's… not that bad, I think. Himeko, whatever you do that makes it so people can't read you, can you stop it for a few seconds?"

Himeko looked at her curiously, and Amy felt a weight behind the woman's gaze as she was stared down.

"Why."

Lisa sighed.

"Because that's about the only way I think Amy or I are going to begin to trust you, ok?"

Himeko shrugged, and smiled.

"Sure, look all you like."

A moment later, and she stepped free of her suit, and into view, dressed in a more comfortable bomber jacket and pants.

"The suit blocks some more… esoteric forms of energy, perhaps that's why I'm so difficult to read, try now."

Lisa sucked in a breath, and softly found herself asking her alter to absorb all the pain she could get, because she needed to know. Then she looked at Himeko, and loosened the valve on her power.

It flooded her senses, surrounding her with information that was starting to quickly become irrelevant or just repetitions of previous things she knew, so she focused it, directing the stream.

Has slain people before, will do so again to protect Lisa Wilbourn, Taylor Hebert, and Amy Dallon. Has regrets from her past actions, but does not regret that she took those actions. Is completely sane, is worried her personality is going to vanish into @#*&*!-

She cut herself off as what felt like TV static blasted into her mind, and forced herself back to focusing just in time to hear and see more information.

Is truly genuine, is truly desiring to help you, breathing calm and measured, she expected this blowup, expected it from you or Taylor, is worried that Taylor is too taken with her as an ideal, and is hoping your mistrust and Amy's anger will balance her out. Is worried about Taylor being taken advantage of by the PRT. Is maintaining her distance from them as a result.

She felt those words hit home.

"Is truly genuine. Is truly desiring to help." She tonelessly repeated.

Amy looked up at her.

Lisa looked back at her, wanting to refuse to believe it.

Taylor spoke for both of them.

"Himeko… you want us to trust you, I think… I'm willing to try that. If these two are willing as well?"

Himeko nodded, smiling that same, wistful smile.

"What terms would you have me agree under?"

Lisa grimaced.

"I want you to be vetted by some friends."

"I agree, my sister included. They need to be sure about this entire thing. I don't want to believe that you're as nice as you seem, because that would make me even more of an asshole than I already am, and I'm a dick." Amy groused and folded her arms.

Himeko giggled.

"These terms are fine by me."

Lisa smirked.

"I get to set the terms of the meeting, though. That means I get to have you around in lets say… a week. Before then, though, what's your plan for training like this?"

Himeko smirked that devilish smile.

"Every day, of course."

Lisa and Amy moved as one and grasped Taylor's shoulders, hauling her away from Himeko and Hotaru.

"Hey, guys, ow- hey what gives?"

"Lise."

"Yes Amy?"

"I think our dear friend needs to be punished for this betrayal."

"I'm in total agreement. I think she needs to treat us to a full 7 course meal."

"Yes. At that nice Japanese place on the boardwalk, too."

"Guys- this isn't funny, that place is expensive!"

"Oh don't worry Tay~ Himeko's providing the cash, aren't you, Himeko?"

The woman flashed that same smirk, and calmly flicked a card at Lisa, who caught it with an even smirk returned.

"Oh and after that, Amy, I think we should take Tay shopping, she needs something and I have just the right idea."

The other girl nodded, and they turned to look at Tay, who's flustered, beet red face turned away towards her knight, while remaining just as entertaining as it had always been. The girl slammed her face into her hands and loudly proclaimed as she met her knight's gaze.

"Hotaru NO! We're just friends!"

Lisa shot a look over her shoulder, studiously noting Amy's blush and a pleased as punch drumbeat in her own chest, just in time to see Hotaru fistbump Himeko, and turn her smirking visage on the rest of them, before blowing a single kiss at Taylor.

A/N: Another chapter of Cloudburst! I'm prepping a lot upcoming with the next arc, so do enjoy the fluff and bonding and the pinch of trauma before it all really gets going with our next arc, which, if you've been paying attention to the naming… is Thunderstorm. I anticipate a couple more chapters of this before the crap hits the fan, so enjoy what you've got while I'm giving it, folks!

Relevant Links:

Discord: Join the Firebird's hearth Discord Server!

RE: Update schedule

I am going on vacation in 4 days, and while I will be writing, I won't have internet, so I won't be posting, I will be back on the 31st of July.

Just checking, do you mean Jealousy or Envy?

Definition:
Envy is when you want what someone else has, but jealousy is when you're worried someone's trying to take what you have.
Re: Checking.

Also in this story are the persona's a separate thing or are they just aspects of the host that they need to accept like in cannon?

Also RE: your checking

Went and relooked at the definitions of Jealousy and envy and both should be fine in the contexts they're used in, although they might feel a touch repetitive, thank you for the proofreading anyways!

Back