Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Closed Circle

Chapter 1.1

The creature's maw was wide, and the rumbles of its many stomachs...

Tekomandor

Social Justice Gish
Pronouns
She/Her
Closed Circle

Chapter 1.1​

The creature's maw was wide, and the rumbles of its many stomachs terrifying. Thousands of teeth churned and snapped at me, as I ran desperately for my life through the parking lot. You may be wondering, at this point, why a giant monster seemingly composed solely of mouths and teeth is chasing me through a parking lot. Is it poor life decisions, or perhaps a stroke of really bad luck, you ask? Well, no. I haven't been making any shady magical deals or gotten involved with any cases for dangerously beautiful and mysterious female clients. In fact, I was actually just doing a little late night shopping - for books of a risque persuasion, to bribe a knowledge spirit with - when a gibbering demon leapt from the Nevernever and attempted to eat me.

Which isn't that rude, by demon standards, but still. I clambered over a car and swung my fist at the air, activating the rings on my left hand. Each ring was like the copper one I used to carry, in that it stored minute amounts of kinetic energy as I walked around and moved my arms. Even a single one hit like a vampire on PCP, and five at once was enough to give even the gribbliest of demons a black eye.

The demon was flung bodily up and into the side wall of a nearby, deserted shop. It crashed through the brickwork in an explosion of dust and shattered masonry. That was when another green slash in the skin of the world opened up. I'm usually not one to dramatise making a way into the Nevernever - like most wizards, my ways are simple shimmers in the air unless you look at them just right. These demons however, were the opposite. Blazing green fire, visions of madness beyond, the works.

As the tall, thin creature - easily twice my height - moved through the way, I raised my staff. The first one had got the drop on me, but it was time to show this particular batch of demons why wizards made shitty food.

"Forzare!" I shouted, and a bolt of force shot forward from my staff, crumpling the mantis-esque demon's chest in. Ectoplasmic blood and chitin exploded outwards, and the creature fell out of the way to land in a heap below it. Score one for Harry Dresden!

That was the exact moment I caught sight of it's bigger, nastier brother through the way. I decided now would be a good time to try and close it. I reached out with my magic, trying to end the spell giving it life only to find that I couldn't. Whatever, whoever, had made this, they had some serious power.

Then, a woman rushed forward from out of view. Mist cloaked her form, and I ducked for cover as she went flying towards my side of the way with alarming speed. The huge demon bounded forwards, blue-purple lightning crackling around its horns. The woman stood up, leaning on a metal staff as she thrust out her hand. Streams of green light burst forth from it, slamming into the way and wrenching it shut before the demon could reach us. I got to my feet as she looked around, and I got my first good look at her.

She was tall - taller than I am, and that's saying something. What was perhaps more noticeable was her grey skin, white hair and horns. Like, actual real inwards curving horns. I could see where they emerged from her skull and everything. She wore something vaguely medieval, a mix of leather and metal and carried a staff made from a gold-esque metal, topped with a dragon; it's wings outstretched and pointing upwards.

What I'm saying is that she was very definitely sending out the Wizard vibes, despite being visibly nonhuman.

"Where am I?" She asked, her voice unexpectedly soft.

"Chicago...?" I said tentatively, having enough knowledge of the supernatural scene to know that the woman who'd appeared here was a long way from home. Of course, at the time I had no idea just how far away from home she was.

"Never heard of it. What, uh, are-" She began, only for the demon I'd previously punted into a wall to choose that moment to resume its attempt to eat me. We both turned sharply as it rose from the rubble, and then she leapt into action. I raised my staff, but the newcomer was already in my line of fire.

A huge blade of yellow-green light burst into life in her hand, and she raked the creature across the chest with it. It screamed and recoiled as she cut it, and I felt my magic surge with power as I thrust my staff forwards. Smoke hissed from glowing red runes as I felt the Hellfire supercharge my magic, and then I let it loose.

"Fulminas!" I shouted, and sent a bolt of crimson lighting straight into the demon. It's charred corpse collapsed back into ectoplasm, and I stumbled forwards. That had been a big, bad spell and combined with all the running, I was feeling a need for rest.

"Are you alright?" The woman asked, as she walked over to me.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I said, not feeling it. The demon had hit one of my ribs, I think - my coat had saved me, but Newton had still had his way with me. "We need to get out of sight, miss. I promise I'll explain it all later, but if there are more of those things we'll want to be behind a strong threshold." I continued.

"I've no idea what you're talking about, but you do seem to know far more about this place than I. So lead on, ser mage." She replied, as I managed to avoid meeting her eyes. No reason to risk a soul gaze - and the accompanying delay - if I didn't have to.

We ran across the parking lot and reached the street, where we were bathed in orange light. At least the streetlights were working. It was only a couple of blocks from here to my apartment, but I really, really hoped she - whoever she was - wasn't seen. When we were behind my wards, safe from ravenous demons, we could talk some more.

But I couldn't let just anybody in, so as she ran in front of me I opened my third eye, and I got a whole lot more than I bargained for.

Well, Dresden, that's what you get for looking at things that jump out of the Nevernever willy-nilly. Didn't you learn your lesson after taking a look at that skinwalker?

Last edited:
Cool.

Don't know much about Dragon Age.
But I'm certainly interested as to how our favorite Chicago Wizard will handle this new adventure.

Capturing the voice of a first person protagonist as "unique" as Dresden is tricky, but you've done a good job of it so far.

"Chicago...?" I said tentatively, having enough knowledge of the supernatural scene to know that the woman who'd appeared here was a long way from home. Of course, at the time I had no idea just how far away from home she was.

One line I took issue with is the last sentence of this paragraph. Dresden doesn't usually talk about things that haven't happened yet in his narration, despite the fact that the series is nominally his journals. It just struck me as off from how the books are. Other than that, off to a promising start. Watched.

Chapter 1.2​

I looked up at the mage who'd aided me, his leather coat flapping in the midnight breeze. I'd no idea where I was, the strange metal contraptions surrounding me unlike anything I'd ever seen before. I could see tall stone buildings surrounding us, their utilitarian construction menacing in the flameless light that pervaded this strange city.

He stumbled and I nearly ran into him as he looked back over his shoulder at me. That was when our eyes met for the first time, and I will not pretend to be able to do what I saw justice in these pages. Suffice it to say that I was sufficiently convinced of the mage's good character that I had little reservations following him through this strange city.

He stood back up, and looked at apologetically.

"I'm sorry about that - really, I am. We do need to get you off the streets, though." The mage said, and I nodded.

"There is no need to worry about it, ser mage. Herah Adaar, at your service." I said, trusting in the etiquette lessons Josephine had so painstakingly coached me through. I extended him my hand and, blinking as he did so, the man shook it.

"That's one hell of a grip you've got there, Herah. Harry Dresden - now, let's get behind something stronger than open air before another demon comes and tries to eat us." Dresden said, and I nodded. If he had some place where the veil was strong, I was all for going there. I had only been expecting a light force of Venatori holdouts, not being flung physically into the Fade, and I was less than eager to wade through yet more demons.

"That'd probably be a good idea." I said, and seemingly as one we began to run along the deserted streets of this city of stone spires. I could see vast towers, reaching up into the sky and glittering with a thousand lights, all the whilst we ran under the harsh illumination of lights that seemed to be of dwarven make.

It was not a long journey, and we were racing along too swiftly for either of us to talk. Soon we reached a large stone house, with a basement dwelling below it, and Dresden reached out his right hand into thin air, whilst bidding me to stop with his left.

"Stand back whilst I disarm the wards for a second or two - they'll fry you worse than what I did to that demon, otherwise." He said.

"Gotcha." I said, and turned round; my staff at the ready. I looked out into the night, but nothing approached. I could hear a fearsome, regular, roar in the distance, but Dresden did not seem alarmed by it. This was a strange land, and perhaps that was merely the sound of the local pack-animal. Perhaps.

"Right, they'll let you in now. You can stay here until I talk to the council about this, get someone who really knows what they're doing to help you out." He said, and I nodded in understanding, as I stooped down to enter the mage's house. It was lavishly furnished, for a basement, was my first Impression. A large - at least as large as a mabari - dog lounged on a rug. It looked at my hand and growled for but a moment, before looking at my face and leeping up to greet the two of us happily.

"You have a keen-nosed dog, Dresden." I said, looking at the dog more closely. He'd sensed the Anchor,, I was sure of it. Not that a particularly intelligent dog was totally unheard of back home - no man of Ferelden would hesitate to remind you of the intelligence of the mabari - but one that could sense magic like this one had? No, that was new.

"Don't jump on her, Mouse! Thomas, are you here?" Dresden said, as he closed the door and reached the bottom of the stairs. A shirtless man walked into the room, smirking. It would not be an exaggeration to say that he was the single most attractive man I had ever seen, and I'd seen more than a few desire demons who'd assumed I was into men. Dresden was doing well for himself, I thought to myself.

"Yeah, I'm here. Finally brought home a-" He began, only to catch sight of me and stop.

"Please, don't misunderstand. I have no intentions towards Dresden, he simply offered me sanc-" I began, only to have both Dresden and Thomas interrupt me.

"No it's not-"

"He's actually m-"

"My apologies to the two of you. I meant no disrespect." I said, glad that a Qunari's blush was not immediately visible as such to most humans.

"Thomas, this is Herah. She helped me out with a little demon problem, Herah this is Thomas. Don't let his good looks fool you." Dresden said, as Thomas looked oddly at me.

"Never seen a Qunari before, Thomas?" I asked. Given that I had no idea where we were, and that wherever we were almost certainly wasn't Thedas, he may never have. Still, it would be good if he recognised the word. Not that any follower of the Qun worth their salt would let me call myself a Qunari, but even I wasn't sure what we were called outside the Qun.

"A Qun-what?" Dresden asked, as Thomas slinked into a chair.

"The Qunari, my people. Tall, grey-skinned with horns? Invaded Northern Thedas, almost eternally at war with the Tevinter Imperium?" I asked, feeling my heart sink at the lack of recognition.

"Never heard of them. Where'd you find her, Harry?" Thomas asked.

"She jumped straight out of a way, being pursued by a very nasty demon. Your guess is as good as mine." Dresden said, as he motioned for me to sit down. I did so, and laid my staff carefully on the ground. It was a very nice chair - far nicer than a home like this had any right to have.

"I'm guessing I'm further from home than I thought. Where exactly am I, anyway?" I asked.

"Chicago" Dresden said, and I made a motion indicating I'd never heard of the place. "America?" He asked tentatively, and again I'd never heard of it. "Earth?" He asked, almsot desperately.

"Who'd name a place after the ground?" I asked.

"It's the name of the planet." Dresden said, and then I had a quick realisation of just how far from home I was. I'd known the Fade stretched far, but to a place where I could understand the language, yet had never even heard of the planet it was located on?

I'd be surprised if even Solas knew it stretched quite that far.

Last edited:
Chapter 1.3​

So Herah was a little farther from home than I thought. I wasn't aware that the Nevernever went that far, but there were a lot of things I didn't know. In fact, one might even go so far as to say that I didn't know about most things. Most of the time when I learnt something new it was mundane, trival. Sometimes though, it was earth-shatteringly new and different and I needed to talk to someone who, loath as I am to admit it, was smarter than me.

Also, somebody who I could bribe with cheap romance novels. That was also a big part of the equation.

"Thomas, Herah? I need to go downstairs, consult some books and things. Just, uh, stay inside for now, okay? I'll take the couch - my bed's probably the only place you'll fit, Herah." I said, and the horned wizard smiled gracefully at me. She was in the middle of unbuckling the metal parts of her outfit, which seemed clustered on one side - the side she turned to strike with.

"Thank you, Dresden. I'll try not to break anything." She said, and passed a hand over one of the bruises that marred her arm. It glowed blue, and as she made delicate motions with her fingers, the skin began to look less and less like she'd been punched by a heavyweight boxer.

I nodded awkwardly, the thought of being mistaken for Thomas's lover still fresh in my mind. Hells bells, the lady had probably thought she was paying me a compliment - but still, this was something that would never, ever be spoken of again. I climbed the ladder down into my laboratory, where I kept all the various magical tools and reagents I owned.

Also, where I kept the skull in which Bob, the powerful knowledge spirit, resided in. After closing the trapdoor, and being reasonably proof against being overheard, I spoke up.

"Did you hear that, Bob?" I asked the skull sitting on one of the benches.

"Yep, saw her too. What have you gotten yourself into this time, Harry?" Bob said, his eye sockets glowing a calming orange.

"Aren't you supposed to be the knowledge spirit here?"

"Sorry boss, my knowledge on the really deep Nevernever is... limited. She's not an outsider though, if that's what you're worried about." Bob said, somehow vocally shrugging.

"No, I got a look at her with the Sight. She's pretty definitely on the side of the angels." I said, sighing.

"It is theoretically possible, Harry. The Nevernever connects to a lot more places than just Earth - the Outer Gates are proof enough of that. But they're a long, long way away - as much as something can be distant in the Nevernever. It'd take some serious mojo to punt her all the way here."

"How serious, Bob?" I asked, a sinking feeling forming in my stomach.

"The kind that you don't get without either being a serious heavyweight, or a whole lot of nastiness."

"How nasty are we talking, Bob?" I said, as I felt the sinking feeling become stronger.

"Human sacrifice, favours called in with the nastiest of demons - the works." Bob said, and I sighed.

"Alright, if you can't help her get home can you at least help me whip something up to make her stand out less?" I asked Bob.

"Sure, so long as she doesn't use it for too long - a variant of that doll you were working on should do the trick." Bob said, and I got to work. It took me nearly all night, but I had a semi-functional disguise for Herah ready. It was based on something I'd been working on for a while - a small doll that would let someone disguise themselves as me for hours at a time. This was a quicker, dirtier version of the same concept, though since Herah could charge it herself, as well as the fact that I wasn't trying to imitate a specific person right down to fine details, the work went by far faster.

The next morning, I was the first to wake. This was not entirely unrelated to the fact that I was the only occupant of my now crowded basement not to have slept on some form of bed last night. I stretched, chucked on some semi-proper clothes, and headed out to see what the intrepid postman had delivered today. This was mostly due to the fact that I was expecting a check in the mail, by the way. I'm usually not this eager to gather up a collection of best-buy catalogs and bills, but I did need to actually make some money.

There was indeed the desperately needed check from a coin collector there, amongst various other standard letters. That was, until I reached a plain manilla envelope with only my name and address on it. Now, I'm usually not one to jump at shadows, but that letter scared the crap out of me. The handwriting would be laser-printer-perfect, except for a single flourish on the last 'n' of Dresden.

That was the kind of handwriting that semi-immortal monsters tended to pick up over the centuries, if they wanted to seem classy. There were no bombs, no mystical booby traps. But all the same, it was freaking me out. Tentatively, I opened it, and it somehow got worse.

Inside the envelope were two photos of Karin Murphy, director of Chicago PD's Special Investigations division, from the time she, I, and a deadly mercenary named Kincaid had gone after a nest of Black Court vampires. If they got out, they'd be more than enough to get Murphy thrown in jail. There was a third sheet of a paper, with one of her blonde hairs attached. It was written in the same too-perfect handwriting as the address and name.

Dresden,

I desire a meeting with you, and offer a truce for the duration, bound by my word of honor to be upheld. Meet with me at seven P.M., tonight at your grave in Graceland Cemetery, in order to help me avoid taking actions that would be unfortunate to you and your ally in the police.

Mavra

I think it's fair to say that things went downhill from there.

I like it! I haven't played Inquisition, but Dresden Files is one of my favorite fan universes.

Only thing I'd recommend is threadmarking.

Seems like a good story so far.

I am curious why you chose a Qunari Inquisitor though, based on a favored playthrough? Unless her being a non-human will be a plot point, I don't see why you wouldn't just use a human considering how quickly you gave her something to negate the disadvantage of appearing non-human. Using a human Inquisitor would streamline things a bit.

Seems like a good story so far.

I am curious why you chose a Qunari Inquisitor though, based on a favored playthrough? Unless her being a non-human will be a plot point, I don't see why you wouldn't just use a human considering how quickly you gave her something to negate the disadvantage of appearing non-human. Using a human Inquisitor would streamline things a bit.
Because like all my stories based on Bioware games, I used the character from my favourite playthrough.

And the disguise-doll is from canon!

It's still probably going to be a plot point- after all, Harry's about to go into the case where a lot of Wardens turn up, and the Sight is a hard counter against illusion magic. It's why most wizards don't bother with it that much.

It also neatly simplifies the inevitable "are you sure they're telling the truth and not crazy" scenes with any given prospective ally quite nicely, since dropping the human disguise will suffice for proof that they're not from around here.

Chapter 1.4​

Thomas managed to find me some local clothes, whilst Dresden was out on business. They were truly odd, though not uncomfortable and substantially better than what someone of equal financial status would have been able to afford, even in Orlais. I thanked him, and returned to focusing on the book in front of me. The text was large, and simple, but I struggled with the unfamiliar lettering.

I had made some small amount of progress by the time Dresden returned, however, and I greeted him as he reset the wards. This was an impressive facet of his magic - these static defences were substantially more sophisticated than what most mages could pull off back home, at least without employing tranquil runecrafters. I could feel their power coiling around the building, a comforting, warm feeling. This place was well defined, even disregarding its occupants.

I'd known there was something off about Thomas for a while now, though I didn't know what. Whatever it was, I was sure he could hold his own in a fight, and Dresden was a more than respectable battlemage. He was also doing something I wasn't sure I wanted to know about in the subbasement, I thought as I felt the temperature suddenly drop and return. There was a powerful spirit down there, one that seemed to almost flicker between demon and spirit. Whatever it was, it settled down and Dresden emerged.

If the man wanted to keep his spiritual informant private, then I would not push the matter. He seemed to have it under control, and the man was no Maleficar. But something was up, and I would not be left out of it. I owed Dresden a debt, and would have intervened anyway.

"Something is going on, Dresden." I said quietly as he exited the basement. He looked at me, sadly.

"Yeah, it is. Some seriously bad wizards are in town, looking for the last teachings of their former master. And, please, call me Harry." He said, looking uncharacteristically serious.

"How powerful was this master, Harry?" I asked, using his first name.

"It took the entire White Council to defeat him. I do-" He begun, but I interrupted.

"White Council?" I asked, confused.

"Sorry, I forgot you were,uh, not from around here. They're the governing body of wizards, and enforce the laws of magic. Their usual enforcement arm are the Wardens, but to defeat this guy - Kremmler - it took the entire council. All the Wardens, the entire Senior Council and just about every other wizard they could get their hands on." Harry explained.

"So his teachings getting out would be bad, then?" I said, and Harry nodded.

"Very."

"Then I shall assist you, Harry." I said grabbing the bag Thomas had lent to hide my staff in - it was made out of some odd fabric, and also contained my dragonhide robes. Given what it took to make those, I wasn't letting them out of my sight.

"Are you sure? I mean, these guys aren't as bad as Kremmler but they're still pretty bad."

"I am sure. I have seen too many suffer at the hand of would-be gods, seen to much death and devastation caused by the misuse of magic to stand by and simply watch. Let me tell you about Corypheus some time, when maleficarum are not descending on your city like flies." I said, full of conviction.

"Then it's time for your first trip in a car!" Harry said, and began to leave. i followed, confusedly, and got my first taste of this world's technology. Riding in a car was a bracing experience, at a first, although the metal contraption grew on me as we drove. We soon reached the morgue, which Harry explained was the place where dead bodies were taken to be inspected and identified. It seemed odd to me, but if it was of use then it was of use. We were there to see if any oddly injured people had shown up - or rather, I was there to hit any necromancer who showed up, and Harry was here to investigate.

The magical disguise was... odd. My physical form hadn't changed, but it was certainly enlightening to see myself as a human. I moved my hands to my horns, and felt reassuringly that they were both still there. Harry bribed the guard with some sort of bottled beverage, which I took to be some kind of ale, and we were let through.

"I'll wait outside and keep watch, Harry." I said, as he went in to talk to the examiner of the dead. Call me paranoid, but every time I've been in a building filled with dead people they've inevitably got back up and started trying to kill me. These people may not have a fear of possession, but there was a good reason almost every culture in Thedas quickly burnt their dead. I took a moment to simply rest, leaning against the corridor's stark walls. This new land, new world really, was a strange place. I was stranded here, but I could not remain here.

Yet if I could find a reliable means of travel between Thedas and this world, I could give my homeland so much. Yet, also, that could be it's doom. I was almost too absorbed in my own thoughts to notice the group of men walking down the corridor. My hand went into the long bag, clutching my staff. Then I noticed that one of the men was the guard who Harry had bribed - only, his throat had been slit from ear to ear. The disgusting magical stench of the animated dead wafted over to me.

"Kill the woman, but bring me the coroner!" The leading man said, wearing some kind of black hat and a khaki coat. I drew my staff and grinned.

"Harry, we've got company!" I shouted, then whipped my staff up. A circle forged from fire, inscribed with dozens of runes, blazed into life in mid air. I focused my power, and thrust out with my staff. Dozens of bolts of white-orange fire rushed forwards, bouncing off walls and floors until they slammed into what had once been Phil - that was his name - and sent the corpse flying backwards, alight with cleansing flame. Brilliant light shone from the wingtips of my staff, and Harry burst out of the corpse-viewing room, a small man in tow.

Then the three men in gray coats rushed at us, far faster than any man had a right to go. Dead Phil got back up, his skin sloughing off as he burned. Clearly these were not your ordinary, everyday zombies then. I thrust my staff forward, creating a blue-green barrier that blocked off the entire hallway. The zombies smashed straight into it, slamming against the barrier with tremendous force.

"Gentlemen, now would be the time to leave!" I said, not wanting to fight four super-zombies in a confined space with a non-combatant to look after. The zombies started to smash against the barrier again.

"The exit's on the other side of the zombies!" The small man shouted, and I frowned as my disguise faltered and died out. In a ripple of failing magic, the tall human woman who had been holding up a dragon-tipped staff was replaced by a gray-skinned, horned, giant of a woman holding said staff.

"Then we make an exit!" Dresden shouted, whirling his own staff at the back wall, where out of it's windows we could see a space to store cars - a parking lot, they're called. "Forzare!" He shouted, and the whole wall seemed to explode outwards in a shower of dust and cheap brick. We ran, and as I moved the barrier finally broke and the zombies rushed through. The second Harry and his contact were outside the hallway, I turned straight around.

Phil came at me first, his burning flesh smelling truly repugnant. A blade of blazing mana appeared in my hand, and I sliced forward. The spiritual blade met burning flesh and muscle and bone, and sliced through it with contemptuous ease. Phil's upper half slid backwards, his lower half forwards, and I advanced. The man in the black hat took a step back at that, but the other zombies simply kept on coming. I attacked once more, slicing one in half vertically, before erecting another barrier.

"Herah, we need to move!" Harry shouted, and there was a tremendous roar like a Qunari cannon. I couldn't agree more with the sentiment, and I leaned into the fade ever so slightly. I rushed backwards, cloaked in grey mist and moving at tremendous speed. A man stood next to a large, ostentatious car, and lifted some kind of hand-cannon, simmilar to Varric's crossbow or those of the Sha-Brytol in design. He fired it at me, and there was a tremendous noise, but the blast was deflected by my barrier. Harry took out a hand cannon of his own, and fired it at the man. He didn't hit, but the man ducked behind his car and we were running for Harry's car.

Last edited:
This is a gut feeling but before anyone post on how nerfed we are I want to say this was an awesome update.

Um... That hasn't happened yet, I don't think.

It has. It's the reason you never see him use fire in Dead Beat. He's still suffering mentally from his burnt hand. Mavra is blackmailing him for the Word using pics of Murphy killing Renfields from the last novel.

At the end he lights some candles automatically, then realizes he's recovered.

It has. It's the reason you never see him use fire in Dead Beat. He's still suffering mentally from his burnt hand. Mavra is blackmailing him for the Word using pics of Murphy killing Renfields from the last novel.

At the end he lights some candles automatically, then realizes he's recovered.
Yep, you're right. I was thinking of when he couldn't use fire because of Mab mind-whammying him.

Back