Close-Knit (2017) - Japan's first feature film about LGBT people

Kokurokoki

"IDW DA NYA!"
I stumbled upon this movie while on an international flight to Japan and watched it all the way through. It was a very good film that, while apparently criticized for being a bit dramatic, explores the life of LGBT people in Japan. I figured since our userbase has a notable amount of active LGBT members I thought I would post it here. I watched this way back in may, but because of all the stuff going on in my life at the time I never had a chance to post about it until now.

It is also known as Karera ga honki de amu toki wa

Synopsis (without spoiling too much):
Tomo is an 11-year old girl who is constantly neglected by her single mom. She often seeks refuge with her uncle Makio, who works as a bookstore clerk. However, one day Makio announces that his girlfriend, Rinko, will be moving in with him. To Tomo's surprise, Rinko is a transgender woman. While Tomo is initially put off at first and thinks Rinko is strange, she is eventually won over by Rinko's kindness. The two of them quickly form a mother-daughter relationship and bond over knitting. The film also explores Makio, Tomo, and Rinko becoming a family together, with a side plot involving one of Tomo's friends coming to terms with his own homosexuality.

Overall I thought it was a great film with well-written characters that allows you to get an idea of the struggles that transgender people go through, as well as exploring themes of family and what family really means. Rinko is a well-written character that really carries the film, and you can really feel for her when she suffers. This film popped up in my head again after I recently became acquainted with a game developer who was a transgender woman that lives in South Africa. I haven't really asked her too much about her life over there out of respect (we mostly just bitch about the annoyances of game coding and life in South Africa vs US), but she too struggled for awhile until she officially changed her gender and now seems to be doing well other than having to deal with her family not accepting her.

Has anyone else watched this film? I don't think it ever received a US release (which I'm assuming where most of our userbase is), so that's probably why we never heard about it. I'm curious to know what you guys think of the film and, more importantly, if it is genuine towards portraying LGBT people correctly.

Last edited:
Just found this thread. 100% gonna check this out.

Back