• No

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Fuck You OP.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • OP is a Hack.

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • *grabs popcorn*

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Why are we still here, just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg...and my arm....

Votes: 11 33.3%

• Total voters
PS Leffen I Ain't Done Yet.

Private Lee O'Malley

Easygoing Egoist
Full Disclosure: This is in part sponsored by Sony Pictures Animation

I have ran three quests, none of which were successful and went out not with a bang, but a whimper. Take that into note as you read on. (or skip to the tl;dr.)

Oh, and I promise nothing and deliver less.

So, quests are really popular. Like, "Most Viewed Board on SV" popular. Quests can stretch onto thousands, perhaps even tens of thousands of pages so it's quite clear people love quests. The #1 goal of all fiction is to get the audience invested, so what's a better way of doing that than giving them direct control over the story's plot? Of course, not exactly one person has all the control but rather, everyone has a voice in changing the story. This leads to the huge amount of pages due to all the discussion that occurs inbetween updates. That's what makes quests so much fun, asides from the folks who take it too seriously and begin insulting others by comparing their fighting skills to a dairy farmer.

At the same time, however, what makes quests so fun can also end up harming the quest's story. It's a common joke between QMs that one should never considering putting in a joke option because that will be picked, regardless of how detrimental it is. There is also the fact that story can be put aside in favor of making a fun game/experience, depending on how much game mechanics play into the story. Then there's pressure from the questers themselves who may get too invested in a character or have formed an image of what the character is like, etc. That can make the QM wary of either killing 'em off, or introducing something that goes against what the questers think of the character.

Although really, quester pressure is omnipresent in all stages of the quest. This can lead to QMs making suboptimal decisions for the story simply because they want to retain the playerbase. Now you might say this is true of fic writers, but the fact that questers actually do have a hand in the story makes a big difference. A fic reader may read something that's questionable to them but shrug it off. However, it's more difficult for a quester to do that as either they can feel cheated in that the QM took the story in a direction they didn't mean to in their vote. Or angry and spiteful when an opposing vote wins resulting in a negative consequence or changing the story in a way they don't like. This can sour them and swear off the quest permanently as they feel it's been "ruined" for them by others. So quester retention is (Note: There are no facts backing this up. In fact, there is no evidence for anything in here. All of this is just anecdotal.) more difficult to maintain than it is for a normal fic.

Solutions to this can be either keeping the general direction of the story vague, heavily railroading it, or start off with your original story and then adapt accordingly. Unfortunately, all of these options are suboptimal, with the second one just asking for a flame war. They are suboptimal because making a good story out of them is a lot more difficult due to all the variables tossed in. Now is this to say quests can't be fun because their stories aren't good? Far from it! Cherno Alpha quest was a fucking blast to play because fuck yeah punching giant monsters in the face! Who cares about plot? (Admittedly there was a good mystery plot going on BUT ROWBITS THO.) But notice how I said "play", it really wasn't a story. More like the story was a mechanism to throw out bigger and tougher challenges which is fine n' dandy. This, however, makes it a poor example as it isn't a narrative heavy quest so let's turn to say, Terrene Spire!

Okay you Terrene Spire (Am I even spelling it right?) folks are going to need to help me out because I have no idea what it's about sans that it's pretty heavy on story. People seem to like it, so I assume it's a pretty good story. That's the thing though, is it good because of the player investment in it, or is it good simply because it's good and being part of the experience only improves upon it, not cover up it's shortcomings? In fact, how much do the questers effect the story?

See, thing is, we're a pretty niche bunch of blokes. Not only are we nerds/geeks/whatever the fuck, but we also communicate through an online forum. That's not even getting to the franchises we like, which deviates us even further from the mainstream. So, we're all really weird folks with crazy ass ideas all pooling into one story helmed by a dude who is probably just as insane as us. Somehow, through all the bloodshed and screaming, the story is concluded at it's own pace and not because of a gameover. Great! Everyone is cheering n' shit and slapping each other on the back about how much of an experience it was.

Excellent.

Now what do people in the mainstream think about it?

And no, this isn't about how nerd culture is worthless and that it doesn't matter compared to the "real world", but rather where the enjoyment is derived from the quest. Since a quest's story appeals primarily to it's audience, who are usually not aligned with the same views as the rest of the world, does that weaken it? Could a quest stand on it's two feet, or does it rely on it's players to bolster it's popularity? Can a quest actually make it big or will they forever be condoned to being "That Weird Thing From SV"? Can a quest appeal to people outsie of our demographic?

I ask this because I feel that it is difficult to write a story when there's a bunch of people looking over your shoulder, shouting suggestions and getting upset when you don't accept them. So while the story would be enjoyable to that specific audience, it might not pick up any ground simply because it only appeals to a very niche group and sacrifices too much to satisfy said group. It becomes a balancing act between your vision and the wants of the questers, at least I think it is. But once again, I am a shitbag writer so this is all probably just crazy talk.

tl;dr:
fuck u read it all

Can you write a good story within the handicaps of a quest? Do questers actually ruin stories? Will said story stand a chance outside of it's very niche audience?

Are questers the ones holding back a quest's narrative potential?

inb4 this is all just a conspiracy to get more people to write stories marketable to a wide audience so that squishy can profit off of them.

Last edited:
Can you write a good story within the handicaps of a quest? Do questers actually ruin stories? Will said story stand a chance outside of it's very niche audience?
Respectively: Yes but it takes a lot of effort and someone riding herd on the masses, 100% thoroughly yes, probably only after supreme amounts of editing to turn it into less episodic updates.

Like you wouldn't believe. So so much.

To elaborate: Ceding narrative control to others is an immediate death sentence to achieving even half of a story's narrative potential, much less all of it. There is no way around that in the quest format, even if you take the @MJ12 Commando approach of making your choices set theme and tone rather than what is actually going on.

Last edited:
This, however, makes it a poor example as it isn't a narrative heavy quest so let's turn to say, Terrene Spire!

I'm curious. Why did you bring up Terrene Spire, and not like, say, Panopticon Quest? Though PQ is honestly something of an anomaly in the medium of quests.

To elaborate: Ceding narrative control to others is an immediate death sentence to achieving even half of a story's narrative potential, much less all of it.

A large problem with handing narrative control to questers is basically that voters don't like losing.

Last edited:
"Can you write a good story within the handicaps of a quest? Do questers actually ruin stories? Will said story stand a chance outside of it's very niche audience?"

Y'want bulletpoints?

- Theoretically but this is unlikely to happen because other people get to control how the narrative flows unless you set things up a specific way.
- In as much as questers ruin most things, and I say this as someone who's quested.
- It depends.

Like, quests are fun but you're going to have to put in work if you want to push the quest as a story.

I think the problem quests run into is that the Quest Writer themselves doesn't always have an idea of where they want to go, so they leave it up to their playerbase. Combined in turn with game mechanics found in most quests, you'll end up with a protag who doesn't take risks and tends towards turtling up after making a few friends in story. So there isn't any drive to the story and it just...kinda...peters out.

I've read several quests that are excellent stories on their own merits, and I feel the common elements between them are the quest writer has both themes they want to explore, and a place they are writing towards. While game elements are in quests, I feel the failing in a lot of quests is that they do not take the lessons learned from video games as a storytelling medium. I know people bemoan railroading, but since a quest writer ultimately both comes up with voting options and is free to veto write-ins, the rails already exist. A skilled QM can easily hide them because they're the ones presenting the story to the questers.

I think the advantage of the questing format is that the players may be able to think of solutions that the author did not. The disadvantage is as noted, and I would say that a story is more able to tolerate the questing format if it sets the plot, theme and possibly even tone early on, though it still needs to be relatively flexible in its skin on the matter of precise implementation.

I have not read it, but I imagine that Cherno Alpha is this sort of game. It does not particularly matter in the big picture whether the players choose the tactic of punching the kaiju in the face or stomping it in the nuts today. Details like that do not cause the theme to waver. The players can choose to research better ways to paste kaiju in between combats, or work on unraveling the mystery - but either way the plot eventually proceeds in the desired direction. The players are presumably not given the option to say, declare our planet to be a hopeless cause and construct a spaceship to abandon it, and any such proposals will be shot down.

Once that's done, set up a system where players tend to be rewarded for following the theme or advancing the plot. Of course you probably don't want slavish devotion to it - stupid is stupid in the end. But eventually, this should hopefully mold their internal values systems as pertaining to the game to match the game's theme.

Last edited:
I think the advantage of the questing format is that the players may be able to think of solutions that the author did not.

In theory, yes, the voterbase can supply new ideas through discussion and write ins, but the majority of voters tend to be lazy. Usually, you're looking at a few dedicated voters who are willing to invest their time and effort in the quest.

Last edited:
I have not read it, but I imagine that Cherno Alpha is this sort of game. It does not particularly matter whether the players choose the strategy of punching the kaiju in the face or stomping it in the nuts today.

I want to note that a lot of the choices in Cherno Alpha vs The World were tactical, because the GM had a detailed and crunchy combat system in place for the quest. There was a strategy layer and a good deal of discussion on that score, but by and large the core appeal was the tactical combat. And the dice were all rolled by the players, so there was no fudging of numbers apart from one case of cheating that pissed the GM off immensely.

Though some of the strategic choices got pretty damn weird. The players actually voted to research magic at one point, and it was allowed.

Last edited:
In theory, yes, the voterbase can supply new ideas through discussion and write ins, but the majority of voters tend to be lazy. Usually, you're looking at a few dedicated voters who are willing to put in the effort for these things.

No dispute here. And depending on whether or not the GM gets a significant portion of their jollies from this, the decision will come on the matter of how much attention should be paid to cultivating this small subset of players.

I want to note that a lot of the choices in Cherno Alpha vs The World were tactical, because the GM had a robust and detailed combat system in place for the quest. There was a strategy layer and a good deal of discussion on that score, but by and large the core appeal was the tactical combat. And the dice were all rolled by the players so there was no fudging of numbers at any point, apart from one case of cheating that blew up spectacularly.

Though some of the strategic choices got pretty damn weird. The players actually voted to research magic at one point.

Mmm, yeah, I was using that word loosely.

Cheating huh. Would you happen to have a link?

No dispute here. And depending on whether or not the GM gets a significant portion of their jollies from this, the decision will come on the matter of how much attention should be paid to cultivating this small subset of players.

Mmm, yeah, I was using that word loosely.

Cheating huh. Would you happen to have a link?

It's proving hard to find; there were 8 threads and they're all from 3 to 4 years ago.

Last edited:
Now is this to say quests can't be fun because their stories aren't good? Far from it! Cherno Alpha quest was a fucking blast to play because fuck yeah punching giant monsters in the face! Who cares about plot?

If we try to draw some parallels between quests and video games, Cherno Quest is quite literally a turn based tactics game--XCOM, etc. The appeal is in the gameplay, the story is secondary to that.

Most quests these days seem to follow more RPG-ish sensibilities, where you're telling a story with some game mechanics layered on top. On the extreme end you have almost purely narrative driven things, where any game mechanics don't really come up if they exist at all, and you're basically playing something like Choice of Robots or a VN (disclaimer: I have not played Choice of Robots or read any visual novels before)

On the side we have the spreadsheet simulator empire quests which are basically 4X games with less bookkeeping. Oh, and there's probably a bunch of quests that don't fit into any of these categories I've defined.

Last edited:
At the same time, however, what makes quests so fun can also end up harming the quest's story. It's a common joke between QMs that one should never considering putting in a joke option because that will be picked, regardless of how detrimental it is.

A note on that- questers may do so because they assume, if the QM is putting it in, they have a fun idea with what to do with it!

So yea, never put in a quest option you aren't fine with winning. Or at least, don't actually run with it, but maybe have a joke BAD END post before going over to the second option

Mm, it's only natural that giving control over narrative and thematic decisions to an amorphous mass of strangers would lead to weaker stories in quests. To create compelling plots and characters requires a disproportionate amount of campaigning and effort from high influence voters and very few quests attract that level of dedication. That, or heavy guidance and restrictions from the QM.

Mm, it's only natural that giving control over narrative and thematic decisions to an amorphous mass of strangers would lead to weaker stories in quests. To create compelling plots and characters requires a disproportionate amount of campaigning and effort from high influence voters and very few quests attract that level of dedication. That, or heavy guidance and restrictions from the QM.

It can also lead to cool things as people have neat ideas or make you think and adapt, but it does help to, at important parts at least, par things down.

Like you wouldn't believe. So so much.

To elaborate: Ceding narrative control to others is an immediate death sentence to achieving even half of a story's narrative potential, much less all of it. There is no way around that in the quest format, even if you take the @MJ12 Commando approach of making your choices set theme and tone rather than what is actually going on.

I actually disagree with this- it makes a mistake in it's assumptions.

It assumes the QM can write a good story on their own.

My quests have fared significantly better in terms of as stories than my attempts at original and fanfic examples that aren't quests, on the whole. Like, I have a link to a thread in my signature of an original story that stalled after the very first chapter, where I thought I had written more and also hit serious writer's block right after posting.

Meanwhile, even my worst off quests went at least a few updates.

So, certainly, if the QM is, on their own, an excellent writer of stories, there's quite the high odds that they could write better outside the quest format. But, for a lot of QMs, the quest is significantly easier to write out at all than a story solely authored by them, and the playerbase my correct for bias, lack of skills in eg characterization, and more.

I don't think anyone really expects quests to be particularly good stories or to be well-written or whatnot. I'd honestly be surprised if one was. Fortunately they are games and do not require either to be entertaining.

I think running a quest is similar to running a tabletop, which in turn is similar to any other type of group activity with a leader involved. Things can go south either because of the leader or because of the rest of the group, or certain members of the gorup of just that the group doesnt mix well withitself. I feel that things like these require both a strong leader who knows when to step upp or step back and good chemistry with the rest of the group focusing on getting towards some kind of goal, even if its just trying to navigate someone to survive in a world of death trying to kill them...

Back