Balance Stats
❁ • Work / Life • ❁
❁ • ❁ Warrior / Princess ❁ • ❁
❁ • ❁ Radical / Respectable ❁ • ❁

Tactical Stats
Gunnery 0, Navigation +2, Command +2, Technology -4, Personal -2, Strategy +3

Stress: 3

PLEASE READ THE QUEST RULES BELOW

You collectively vote on the actions of Arisukawa Haruna, the first woman to serve openly in the Imperial Akitsukuni Navy.

This quest is set in a universe which is much like our own circa 1910, but with different politics, cultural norms, and ideas about gender and sexuality, as well as some unusual and advanced technology in places.

We are using this quest to explore themes like breaking the glass ceiling, divergent outlooks on gender and sexuality, colonialism and imperialism, and the place of royalty.

Content Warning
This quest goes some dark places.

There is violence, often explicit, often unfair, often against undeserving targets.

There are not always good options forward. The protagonist is not necessarily a good person.

There is implied content and discussion of sexual harassment and assault.

This is a world where people are often racist, sexist, queerphobic bigots. Sometimes, even the PC and the people they are friends with.

Voting Rules

We will tell you if write-in votes are allowed. If we do not say that write-ins are allowed, they are not. This is to prevent people from unrealistically hedging their bets.

You may proposal other options in a non-vote format, subject to approval, on non write-in votes.

We will tell you when a vote allows approved voting. If we don't say the answer is no, pick an option. We like making people commit.

Discussions makes the GM feel fuzzy.

Game Rules
When we ask you for a roll, roll 3d6. You are aiming to roll equal or under the value of your stat. If you succeed, Haruna gets through the situation with no real difficulties. If you roll above the target value, Haruna will still succeed, but this success will cost her something or add a complication.

Whenever Haruna loses something or faces hardship from a botched roll, she takes Stress. The more Stress Haruna has, the more the job and the circumstances she's in will get to her, and it'll be reflected in the narrative. Haruna must be kept under 10 Stress: if she reaches 10 Stress, she will suffer a breakdown and the results will not be great for her.

Haruna loses stress by taking time for herself, by making meaningful progress on her dreams, and by kissing tall, beautiful women.

Meta Rules
Author commentary is in italics so you know it's not story stuff.

Please don't complain about the system or the fact we have to roll dice. We've heard it before, we've heard it a thousand times across multiple quests. We're not going to change it, and it wears at our fucking souls.

Just going "oh noooo" or "Fish RNGesus Why!" is fun and fine. Complaining at length because you didn't get what you want less so.

If you have a question, tag both @open_sketchbook and @Artificial Girl. If you only tag one of us, you will be ignored. Seriously, we both write this quest.

And yes this is an alt-history type setting with openly gay and trans people, ahistoric medicine, and weird politics. Just... deal, please?

This quest employs a special system called Snippet Votes. Please read this post for more information.

Last edited:
A smashing return for the story, really beautiful writing. I note that in Tiber, the Circus Maximus is in better repair than the Colosseum, which is a fun inversion that's going to send tiny ripples through society.

[X] That Aiko might not be prepared for what becoming part of Haruna's family entails.

This is the most active danger, the one we can fight. We have relatively limited control over the course of WW1 and our part in it, which should hopefully be minimally dangerous and limited to colonial janitor work. The political situation in Akitsukuni remains parlous and Aiko is an intelligent woman, I think she probably already realises that this will be an issue and if we give her a quick Palace Politics Primer I think she'll be better at this than Haruna realises. Without a primer, though, she's quite likely to be moved and shook while attempting to be a mover and shaker. Never underestimate the arrogance of an engineer being introduced to a new system for the first time!

Undoubtedly the most exciting event was motorcar racing
Oh, hey! I heard that some of the earlier Olympics included racecars. Neat.

[X] That Aiko might not be prepared for what becoming part of Haruna's family entails.

This fear makes the most sense to me. Marrying Aiko means dragging her into a vipers' nest.

Undoubtedly the most exciting event was motorcar racing, which tore through an enormous dry field through which a track had been carved. It was a lot of dust and loud noise from the stands, but when the cars veered back around for the next lap and their engines roared past it was absolutely thrilling. Aiko certainly appreciated the chance to explain how sound waves worked, which you mostly understood. You got waves, that was your thing.

*Looks at book describing the first Indy 500*

At least nobody died during it. And they even managed to sort out the rough terrain (They used a tar/gravel mix, prone to kicking up into the face/windscreen of anyone driving more then a few laps) with minimal dust.

[X] That she might die and leave Aiko alone.

BTW. For the whole spying thing. Think it would be possible to just talk to some sales representatives or something? Pick out inconsistencies, or see what they avoid talking about and give out own opinions on those.

That would probably be enough for the navy I think.

[x] That she might die and leave Aiko alone.

So happy to see this active again! Excellent descriptions of the city in this chapter. I actually am quite liking that after so long pushing through things, Haruna is getting some time to be introspective.

Not sure what to vote on, I'm just currently so happy that I finally caught up

7-18: Victory Lap
The more you thought of it, the more you became convinced that in all likelihood, Aiko was simply not prepared for the sort of machinations and weird psychological games that the various families and hangers-on played throughout the Imperial court. On the other hand you were equally sure that your extended family was not ready for Aiko. Either way, of course, it wasn't going to be a smooth process for either side.

You'd have to worry about that when the time came, though. There were more immediate and pressing concerns to worry about, like the fact that your amazing girlfriend was going to be in a boat race. She needs your support. You had wracked your brain trying to think of the best way to show Aiko you were behind her all the way and had finally settled on something you thought be appropriate: you'd make her a headband.

It was an old tradition that you thought originated with the sort of things warriors used to wear, but now they were a common gift for people participating in less warlike endeavours as well. Before the advent of cheaper and more reliable blue dyes, they had typically been stitched onto a white band of cloth, though now that people could get stuff the proper color, blue with white and black stitching was the more popular, especially because that way it looked like the flag of Akitsukuni with it's white sun rising over the bright blue of the Great Eastern Ocean. A perfect accessory for someone representing her country at the Atlas Games!

You found some appropriately shaded blue cloth along with needle and thread in a local shop and set to work whenever Aiko was out of the hotel (which was often these days). You carefully emblazoned the front with the split sun of Akitsukuni and then began to stitch in an appropriate slogan. There were a few popular ones, but you waffled briefly between 'Fighting spirit' and 'Determined to win' and eventually settled on the one that had less warlike connotations. You thought that might be better.

When you had finished, it looked excellent. At least you thought so. Your mother had always been after you to know how to properly stitch and sew, so it wasn't like you hadn't any idea of how it worked. All those hours of needlepoint had paid off after all! Now came the important part: delivering it. It seemed that she only appeared to sleep and you thought simply handing it off one morning was underwhelming, so the day before the competition you decided to simply swing by the training area and give it to her there.

A short cab ride took you to the edge of the Reman River and you meandered down to the dock where the rowing team typically set off for its exercises. You could see them now, actually. There were nine of them in the long, narrow little boat--one coxswain to direct them and each woman handling a single oar. They were coming back from some practice run or other and you could hear the coxswain's voice calling out the time as they moved closer to the dock.

Damn, you have such good timing.

The coxswain's voice rang out and the oars were lifted clear of the water, then shifted vertically as the boat began to glide in alongside the dock--now that they were closer you could see that they wore a sort of woman's sailor uniform; skirts with a sailor style shirt. You had to stifle a smile. The boat eased to a stop and the coxswain, a surprisingly small young woman was saying something.

"Good job out there today. I think we can safely say we've given our all to this competition, no matter what position we receive. Of course, we all know we have to strive our hardest to try and get a medal--for the country." A chorus of agreements followed her and she alighted from the boat first as a few others on the dock--hangers on, you'd thought, but probably coaches and other staff--began to secure the boat to the dock. You spotted Aiko midway down the boat as she began to get ready to climb out and gave a wave. She beamed at you, though there was something confused in her expression as she clambered out onto the dock.

"Haruna, what are you doing here? I'd thought you were going to go look at more dusty old rocks that used to be buildings…"

"I could do that. Or I could come here to wish you the best of luck in your competition tomorrow," you said with a smile and offered over the neatly folded headband with both hands.

"A little something for good luck," you added. She unfolded it, blinked, then you had the distinct pleasure of watching her face turning red as the rest of her team began to crowd around to see what the fuss was (wow they all smelled like sweat).

"Heeey Kishimoto whatcha got there?" One of them asked. A tall, broad shouldered girl who matched Aiko in height. "Is that a headband?"

"Ah! Yeah, Adachi-senpai. My girlfriend made it…" AIko said in an embarrassed tone, though she was obviously pleased.

"Put it on, let's see how it looks for tomorrow," said another girl. She… also was quite tall, you realized. Not quite Aiko's height, but certainly above average. Aiko hastily tied the headband in place, grinning ear to ear, and struck a gallant pose as her friends burst into laughter.

"How do I look?" she asked.

"G-good. Really good." She was amazing. Really amazing.

"Oh, this must be the girlfriend," someone said with a laugh and there was a ripple of laughter.

"No wonder Aiko never stops talking about you, you're really pretty," said the broad-shouldered girl. Your ears started to burn and you were suddenly glad for the wide-brimmed hat you wore to keep the sun off.

"Hey, she is," someone else said. Oh Spirits, you were surrounded. You glanced around, suddenly coming to the realization that with the sole expectation of the coxswain, all of them were taller than you.

You didn't know how to process the feelings that gave you. Thankfully, Aiko hooked her arm through yours, still wearing the headband, and gave a possessive squeeze.

"I know she's pretty, she's my girlfriend," Aiko said with no small amount of pride and a possessive sort of air that made your heart skip a beat. You loved her. You loved her so much.

"Well, you should invite her to our dinner tonight before the races start tomorrow. That way you can show her off to all of us properly. I mean if I was dating a princess, I'd never shut up about her either…" Wait a minute, show you off properly? What? You wondered if your blush was visible. That certainly didn't mean what you thought it meant but what a mental image--

"Maybe I will!" Aiko interjected, rudely interrupting your train of thought. She didn't grab your hand but you felt her shoulder press against yours.

"Haruna, you're coming to dinner tonight."

"I am?" Wait, what?

"Yes!"

"We're having Her Imperial Highness over for dinner? Does that mean we have to wear our nice clothes?"

"Oh, ah…" You really didn't need them to do anything fancy. "It's fine, just treat me like any other young woman coming to visit…"

"What should we call you, then?" Adachi, the one that you had tentatively identified as one of Aiko's upperclasswomen and who was, even by the standards of the team, astoundingly fit asked.

"Y-you can call me whatever you want?" You said without thinking about it and your voice, embarrassingly, cracked just a little.

"Oh, um, excuse me--I just remembered--I have to go--I'll see you at the hotel Aiko--!" You decided it was now best to beat a hasty retreat before you were overwhelmed. Aiko protested for a moment before you pulled away and hurried away. Only when you were safely away and could catch your breath did you pause. Maybe being around men all the time in the Navy was bad for you? It left you unprepared and under equipped for dealing with the attention of so many women. So many very fit, very tall women.

Spirits. You were going to die.

You needed a distraction, something to do with yourself. An objective. You checked your watch and decided it was close enough to lunch to qualify as a suitable task to focus on, and there was a whole city which might contain food. It was something. Anything.

You found yourself at a modest restaurant overlooking a bend in the river below,. It was a pleasant enough spot and a relief from the summer sunlight. Also, more importantly, it seemed quiet and out of the way. Just what you needed after that experience, a nice, quiet little out of the way spot. You settled down to look over the menu and enjoy a nice, quiet luncheon.

"Excuse me, are you Princess…" Ah, somebody who recognized who you were and couldn't remember your actual name. That had happened a few times here already.

"Lieutenant Haruna Arisugawa," you replied with enough politeness that it would be rude but with enough cool 'go away' energy that you hoped they got the hint. "You have the advantage on me, though."

"My apologies, lieutenanette. Princess Cesarina Trivulzio, at your service." She was perhaps a decade older than you or a little more, and dressed quite fashionably. The princess had all the marks of someone from northern Otrusia, in that she looked remarkably like someone you would find in Dyskeland or Kyburg, especially the startlingly bright blue eyes and dark raven hair piled atop her head with the aid of quite expensive hairpins. "I was seated over there and couldn't help but notice you when you came in," she said as her hand rested on the back of the chair opposite yours. "Do you mind terribly if I intrude on your luncheon?"

Oh thank the Spirits, a woman who was only regular attractive. You could do this.

"Oh, not at all." She seemed like a good sort, at the very least. She smiled warmly and pulled out the chair to sit opposite you with all the grace that came with years of practice and education. You wracked your brain for how she was related to the king and finally remembered that she was married to one of his younger brothers. Right.

"Thank you, I've just been absolutely starved for some decent conversation. I've been out east, you know--not as far east as you, of course, but the Ilyrian states. Things over there are complicated, you know, ever since the Anatolians pulled out a couple decades ago... "

"Oh, of course, I've been following." you said, having not the slightest clue where that was. "Please, tell me about what you've been doing there, though. It does sound interesting," It sounded like politics, but it would give you some time to order something to eat and she was nice.

"Well, ever since the Anatolians left it's just been a constant squabble over what to do next. Some of them want a single multi-national state similar to the Kyburg Union, some of them all want their own independent nations, and even then the unitary state advocates are even further split on whether to have a monarchy or a republic. It's a complete mess, I tell you. Especially with everyone trying to influence things one way or another," she said with a sigh, "Do let me know if I'm boring you…"

"Oh, not at all." Politics, you could do politics. "Who's meddling?"

"The monarchists have lined up behind one of my distant cousins in the Kyburg house, the von Aldringens, who still think they can just run everything as though it's the seventeenth century. They've been throwing support and even weapons behind them, and if they get their way the balance of power in Europa will be even more badly skewed off-kilter." She was a princess, but not part of the monarchist coalition, which felt strange. Europa was strange. Still, she seemed quite interested in this and you nodded along.

"That would make things even more complicated for Otrusia?" you asked.

"Exactly! You understand, I knew you would. Gallia is doing its best to support the Republicans but, well… if my own country's history is proof of anything, its that its not easy to make a republic out of people who don't want to all be part of it. Especially when some of those little nationalist groups start talking about throwing bombs at people and all that kind of thing. That's why I'm here watching the Games."

"I understand that feeling. Being torn away from work feels like such a bother at times," you said with an understanding smile. "It feels like you have so much to do and you can't spare even a moment for anything else. You just want to accomplish the task you've laid out."

"Exactly!" She laughed. "See, we've only known each other a few minutes and we already understand each other. We were deep in negotiations trying to keep this continent together another year and they pull me out of the negotiations because some lowlives wrote some threatening letters. It's absurd."

"Well, your safety is important." you pointed out, "While I work in a field where people do occasionally try to kill me, it usually isn't specific. Such things are to be taken seriously."

"That's my point, though. If they sent you home right before the battleships started lobbing shells at each other, you'd be no happier about it than I, I assume! You want to do your work," Cesarina grumbled. "It's not as if there's no risk involved with being a public figure. You get all sorts of odd types who want to send you letters."

"True…" You'd received more than a few odd letters and other missives and even had some people say you'd be better off dead--nothing specific of course. "...But let's not talk about work, if we're supposed to both be enjoying ourselves, yes?"

"Of course, of course-- I've rambled long enough. I hope you've been enjoying your stay in Otrusia, then?"

"Very much, it's lovely. The history is spectacular, as is the food." you said, knowing the country was quite proud of both, "It isn't what I expected, but in a very good way."

"I'm so glad."

"If I could, can I ask how things are, for you and your family, under such an unusual system?" you asked, quite curious. She lit up at that, clearly glad to talk about it.

"Oh, of course! Well, as you might imagine, it was touch and go for a moment there, but everything worked out quite nicely. My husband hasn't always been the greatest fan of it, but honestly, I'm quite pleased. Usually the power of monarchs doesn't end quite so… amicably: we didn't even have to give up the house. Sure, our tastes are somewhat less expensive, but for the most part little has changed for us. The restaurants we frequent are just mostly owned by the waitstaff now, and honestly the service is better."

"How does that work, anyway?" you asked. You had doubts on that.

"Oh, I don't know. That's the joy of it, I don't have to anymore. I think the Senate put something in place where owners have to sell to their workers first if they're going to sell at all, and nothing's burnt down so it must be working. I don't quite know what all the fuss was about, it was very dramatic at the time," she said, "Speaking of dramatic, how are you enjoying the Games, then? Did you see the women's motorcar race, that was something!"

Cesarina was such an eager conversationalist. It made sense, considering her chosen profession of 'diplomat.'

"I did, though I couldn't make much out through the dust, I'm afraid. I'm most looking forward to the rowing event, though, my, um, I have a friend who is a girl who is on the team, you see." Smooth, Haruna. Good save.

"Oh, wonderful! I thought you were just here diplomatically! Oh, I'm full up for the next few days, but after the closing ceremony, you should come to dinner, and bring her along! We'd love to have you."

"That sounds lovely."

---

Your encounter with Cesarina had been pleasant, and then that evening you somehow survived dinner surrounded by Aiko's teammates. Honestly, the evening was a bit of a blur even considering that you hadn't touched a drop of alcohol. The next day, of course, came the rowing events. You sat yourself down beneath the shade of a large, lovely tree at the edge of the river near the finish line (Aiko had advised you these would be the best seats) and adjust your binoculars to peer down the approximately two kilometer stretch of river being used for the competition.

The morning had been occupied with the 'qualifying' rounds, wherein the there was a sort of round robin of races with the top six in all those rounds advancing into this, the final heat. THis would determine whether or not the Akitsukuni team would come home in triumph or ignominious defeat. Through the binoculars you could see them sitting in the boat, the tiny coxswain talking to the rest of the crew, probably trying to get them in a proper mindset as a good petty officer should.

The other teams were also preparing themselves. In the buoy marked lines, there were the other five teams who had earned their spot: the Ablian Union's team, of course. New Allegheny's team, and alongside them another team from the New World, that of the United Equatorial Confederacy. At the far end from your team were the last two: Lusania-Carvale and a team from the island kingdom of Katuroa.

You waited eagerly for the start, gaze fixated on the line of boats, each stern held carefully by an attendant at the floating dock stretching out across the river just for this occasion. Finally, the pep talks seemed to be down and someone with a speaking trumpet was telling the teams to prepare. You waited along with the rest of the observers who had settled into an anxious silence. It seemed to stretch out for far too long. Then the silence and faint murmur of the crowd was shattered by the crack of the starting gun.

The shells surged into motion all at once and you tried to focus your binoculars so that you could get an idea of who was pulling ahead. The Albians had a strong start and were pulling hard, but the Alleghenians were right next to them. The unfortunate Equatorian team was already falling behind, and you could see Akitsukuni and Katuroa both gaining on the two leaders with sure, even strokes. You could hear the coxswains yelling, the crowd yelling and cheering in support of the various teams. Albia seemed to be lagging back and slowly, slowly, you saw the bow of Akitsukuni's bright blue shell beginning to overtake. You could see Aiko now, her hair tied back and the headband you'd given her tied across her forehead.

On the far side of the river from you, Katuroa was making a surge as the distance closed down to less than a kilometer, straining to overtake the powerful strokes of the New Alleghenians, who seemed to almost be more machine than woman. The two of them were as even as could be as far as you could tell. They were entering the final stretch of water, five hundred meters to go to the finish line, four hundred, three hundred-- the Albians were trying to make up the ground they'd lost with the Lusitania-Carvale shell close behind. Somehow, though, the Akitsukuni shell was managing to keep it's lead, though they were a good half a boat length behind the leaders.

You were on your feet, yelling and shouting along with everyone else, swept up in the exhilaration of the moment. Albia was just behind, their bow starting to creep up the halfway point of the Akitsukuni shell and in front the Katuroa shell had started to pull ahead by bare centimeters, the crew straining and pulling on their oars with all their strength--

The boats passed by the finishing line in an instant and there were wild cheers and shouts as the boats continued on (the crews needed to keep rowing a little longer to cool down) but everyone was thronging around the officials, gesturing and inquiring. As the crowd began to quiet, the officials were talking amongst themselves and then they turned towards the results board where they begin to write it out in chalk. Starting, of course, with what everyone knew--the United Equatorians were in sixth, then came Lusania-Carvale in fifth and… Albia in fourth? That meant--

There was Akitsukuni written into the third place slot, followed by New Allegheny in second and the Kingdom of Katuroa atop the pack in shining gold. But that wasn't important. Akitsukuni had medaled! They'd won a medal! In their first games! You wanted to jump and down and shout for joy at the result and you could see the Akitsukuni coach and the alternate crewmembers hugging and shouting down at the edge of the river as the realization that little Akitsukuni had beaten out Albia, a favorite for the top three. That it was only a bronze didn't seem to matter.

The boats were being pulled up to the finishing dock and the teams were hurried over towards the temporary stage where the medals were to be presented. The crowd cheered themselves breathless first for the Akitsukuni team as they were lead up onto the stage and the bronze medals hung about their necks.

Of course they cheered themselves breathless for the Alleghenians and the Katuroans too, but that didn't seem to be the point. You beamed at Aiko, who seemed unable to stop smiling, surrounded by her teammates. The ceremony seemed to go on forever as photographs were taken and congratulations were given. At last, they were allowed free and you pushed through the crowd towards Aiko, still smiling for the cameras, the bronze medal around her neck.

She had never looked more beautiful.

Does Haruna kiss Aiko in the moment?
[ ] Yes​
[ ] No​

Voting is open
Back