But I don't want to be the Overgoat!

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Inspired by the terrific MLP fanfic ALL GLORY TO THE OVERGOAT by the MIA Bucking Nonsense. I've gone a little further on crafting an Alternate Universe for this fic, so we'll see how it goes.

Grogar was one of the most terrible villains in the history of Equestria. He terrorized the land, and his greatest creation, the Bewitching Bell, could drain the power of even gods. Then he apparently lost it, and then died like a scrub to an utter nobody,

Hah!

Grogar in truth died to the Sisters, who sought and slew him before he could regain the bell. Of course, even this would not have been enough; the old Goat hid his body away, to be restored to full health and resume his campaign of terror.

I know all of this, because I know it went wrong. And now I'm stuck in his body, with all the baggage that implies.

So no pressure.

At least I'm getting a cool base out of all this...

FI of Miho Chan.
Last edited:
Chapter 1: A Great Evil(?) Awakens

Tale Swapper

(Unverified Madman)
Lost Among a Sea of Imaginings and Dreams
Waking up on a stone slab in a dimly lit room is not something I'd ever experienced before. As I blinked the sleep from my gaze, I couldn't help but feel… off. Especially given, last I checked, my ears were on the side of my head, not on top. My bust also was pathetic before, and now it very much wasn't. Wincing, I shook off the last vestiges of my minor headache, one that always fluttered around after I drank more than one glass of wine.

Hauling myself off the stone slab, I immediately fell flat on my face, the hooves I had been provided with unfamiliar and quite annoying. Gritting my teeth, I pushed myself off the floor, muttering about damn ROBs putting me in a new body. As I came upright, I realized that something inside me knew how to tense my legs to keep myself upright. I took a quick look at myself.

My hands were… actually kinda rough. Feminine, to be sure, but scarred and callused, and noticeably hairy. That would be a pain in the ass to keep shaven. My legs were human, right up until my knees, where human hair sprouted and grew into thick, pale blue fur until it terminated in a pair of white hooves. I was wearing a very ill-fitting tunic; it covered me, but was loose around the waist and tight across my chest, then loose again in the shoulders. Also, it was jet black, and belted with a red cord. When I shook my head, blue-gray hair fell across my face, catching on something above it, which threw off the weight of my skull somewhat.

The slab turned out to be an altar, surrounded by long-dead candles and wax drippings. The whole room was dark, the only light coming from a thin strip of white around the edges, where the walls met the stone ceiling. Sconces holding more candles lined most of the walls, while two more flanking the only door held inert glass orbs.

Shrugging, and brushing my hair out of my face again, I walked towards the door, pointedly ignoring the very cult-like setup. It would, after all, be just my silly brand of luck to get involved in an altercation with one fairly quickly. The door was iron-banded wood, and had no handle. It also would not open.

I growled, deep in my throat, then paused as a well of something shook in the back of my head. Memories not my own, of waving and causing doors like this to open with a flex of will. Feeling somewhat giddy, I focused on the feeling behind the memories, and with a flex of will, I found a toggle in my mind, which somehow connected to the door.

As I activated the toggle, a floating pane of light appeared before me, in a language I did and did not know at the same time.

Validating Credentials…
Auric Match 98.6% - Pass
Soul Match 28.3% - Fail
Memetic Match 87.3% - Pass
Physical Match 78.3% - Pass

Status Updated. Standard Reminder Activated: "Remember what happened the last time we played with soul magic, dammit!"

[Restoration Complete, Lord Grogar. Welcome Back]

[Sanctum Necromata Cowers at your Will once again]
[Status Report]
[Personal Notes]
[Communications]
[Development Screen]​

"Wonderful," I said blandly, "I am apparently either a two bit villain or a final boss level villain. Joy of joys. Now let's see…" Trailing off as I focused on the interface, I paged through the status and development screens. We'd see what exactly I had to work with…

[Status Report]
[Core Charge: 12%] [Hourly Charge Rate: 0%] [Currently in Power Save Mode]
[Anchor: None]
[Wards: Functioning, No Breaches]
[Reagent Storage: Empty] [100% Spoilage since last update]
[Food Storage: Empty] [100% Spoilage since last update]
[Treasury: No Changes]
[Cells: Empty] [8 Prisoners have died since last update]

[Communications]
Currently Disconnected; Establish Anchor

Archived Contacts:

Grumble
Hawkmoth
O. Edge
Minion Leader 1
Minion Leader 2
Bray​

Oooh, Hawkmoth was an interesting name. I'd have to see if I could scrounge up what this body remembered of them. The rest would also have to be examined at some point in time. Pushing aside the dead prisoners and my abysmal food and reagent storage, I queried the system, looking to establish an anchor and take what I assumed was a dungeon off of power saving mode. The system, however, simply reminded me that all higher-access functions were locked to the Throne Room.

Blandly staring at the roof in amusement, I queried for directions, and headed in that direction, fully prepared to see a stereotypical evil overlord lair. This time, the door opened at my mental prod, swinging soundlessly open, to reveal a perfectly bland hallway, one which was still pitch black save for the dim light from the ceiling markers- something told me it was the equivalent of emergency lighting, though there was a phrase to turn the full lights on.

Digging through my body's memories, I scoffed, reminding myself to change the key phrase ASAP.

"Let there be light." I deadpanned, already fed up with my body's former ego's hubris. Seriously, god complexes were boring. The lights came on, revealing a simple stone hallway with a plush red carpet. I followed the carpet, frowning at the sparse layout; apparently, whoever this Grogar was lived alone 90% of the time, and this retreat was his private sanctum; he'd made it simple for its own sake, splurging more on defenses and functionality rather than furnishings or decoration. Minutes later, I stepped up to a pair of double doors, these bound in silver rather than iron, and decorated with rearing goats; with a flex of will, I threw them open.

The room beyond was small, if ornate. Four silver-streaked columns of blue-gray stone matching the rest of the stonework held up a tall roof, enclosing space about the size of a tennis court before a stone throne of the same material. The throne was covered in red and black felt.

Groaning, I made my way up to the throne, carefully checking my memories to see if the Grogar fellow who I now apparently was had any security measure in place before I sat down. The answer was no; since the system recognized me, the whole place was open for my perusal.

Sighing, I sat down, setting about restoring this place to functionality. 12% Mana or whatever capacity was unacceptable, and I wanted to see what shiny toys I had to play with.

The system fully booted up, but I winced at the first message, even as a full map of the dungeon, a single loop of hallways with numerous offset rooms, appeared on-screen.

Status Update: Primary Anchor Destroyed
Secondary Anchor… Offline
Tertiary Anchor… In Storage (Treasury)
Please Consult Development Screen

[Sanctum Necromata Online]
[Status Report]
[Personal Notes]
[Communications]
[Development Screen]​

Navigating to the development screen, I pulled it up, then winced at the length of the update.

[Sanctum Necromata]
[Checking for updates… updates found]
[Adding updates… Roomlist 3.24 > Roomlist 15.78]
[19 New Rooms, 834 New Upgrades Available]​

Current Stocks:
  • 3526 Mana Shards
  • 14 Wealth units (52311 stored in Liquid Assets: Treasury)
  • 0 Wood Units
  • 25 Unworked Metal Units

Current Rooms:
  • Throne Room (Command Chair, Overlord's Map, Scrying Pool)
  • Core Room (Reinforced, Ley-Line Tap)
  • Ritual Chamber (Ritual Stones, Fast-Channel Conduits, Overlord Uplink)
  • Shrine of Resurrection
  • Library (Anti-Aging Wards, Unseen Servant)
  • Master Apartment (Attached Bath, Dining Room, Guest Room, Unseen Servant)
  • Kitchen (Unseen Servant, Better Range)
  • Enchanter's Lab (Forge, Alchemy Bay, Sealed Alchemy Bay, Conduit Embuer, Examination Room)
  • Dungeon (Unseen Warden, Advanced Interrogation Suite)
  • Portal Bay (16-capacity uplink)
  • Treasury (Bloodsealed Vault)

Critical Tasks:
Reestablish External Anchor [Elaborate - Help - Force Resolve]
Reactivate All Functions (WARNING! Low Reserve Power, 1% consumption p/day) [Force Resolve - Help]

Frowning, I browsed through my memories to get the best idea of what Grogar would have done, and his thought process behind it. I winced as visions of torture, harvesting materials from sentients, and necromancy faded, and instead focused on the more pertinent information; namely, visiting the Core Room, which would allow him to reestablish a ley-line tap… once he found a suitable location. Also, Grogar would have wanted his armor back. Unfortunately, said armor would likely hinder me as it was fitted to his body, not mine. Recounting that, also made me wince; apparently, said armor was also heavily damaged against his final foes, which had necessitated him heading here to recover.

I shrugged. I couldn't accomplish anything till I visited the vault and the core room, one to get a leyline tap and one to establish said tap. Humming cheerfully in a forced manner, I set about my tasks; heading to the vault and obtaining my needed items (and perhaps convert my liquid wealth to wealth units), and establish a leyline tap.

As I trotted back into the corridor, I winced as my memories regurgitated what a leyline tap was. The Anchor was also the method by which a Sanctum was secured to the physical world; without one, my new dungeon was essentially floating in the astral plane, and would outright collapse with me in it if it ran out of power. I'd need to go into the world and secure a location for the anchor. Groaning, I tried to remember what I could do in combat that wouldn't require stuff I was not okay with, and to see if Grogar had any equipment I could use. Given he was evil, I was fairly certain I'd get attacked fairly quickly if spotted by most people.

…something nagged me immediately. Grogar had planned on coming back quickly; even as he'd staggered to the altar, the Sanctum had been fully charged; and it was on power-saver mode. With a quick query, I asked how long it had been since he went to sleep, and I woke up.

Elapsed Time:
80 billion seconds​

"Oh how absolutely wonderful! And useless! In days, months, and years please." I growled immediately, respectfully yet forcefully asking my sanctum to provide a more useful measurement of elapsed time.

Elapsed Time:
2537 Years, 3 Moons, 5 Days, 4 Hours, 38 Minutes, 12 Seconds​

I nodded. As it should be. I was not converting 80 billion seconds to years without a calculator, thank you very much. Then, I smirked. Then I stopped smirking. Wonderful, I was probably assumed dead, which was… acceptable. Unfortunately, if anyone was around or even had an inkling of how much of a threat Grogar could be, I would be dead, very, very fast. Shrugging, I consulted my personal notes, embarrassed that it had taken me so long to do so.

[Personal Notes]
[To-do List]
[Targets]
[Enemies]
[Fools who trust Me]
[=!hjdiREAD ME#^&fm*!]​

Being the sane person I was, I tapped READ ME first, ignoring the eldritch text. Wouldn't surprise me if Grogar was in contact with- oh for the love of Inari he had contacted Demons.

[Well, let's hope you turn out to be more entertaining than the last schlub.]
[Anyways, you're welcome for saving your life, mortal, and making certain your soul fit in your new shell. Let's see if you can do something with this one.]
[Your new body and the archived memories it possesses has a rep. Make use of it, or don't. Just don't try to live a quiet life, and we'll be cool.]
[Otherwise, I'll just have to make times more interesting myself.]
[Sayonara, sucker.]​

"Since I'm assuming you're watching, does this mean I cannot fuck off until I accomplish some nebulous goal?" I asked aloud, tapping on To-Do-List as I spoke. Before the new list appeared, the words of the message shivered as a new line was added.

[Goals are for pussies. I just want you to ACT. If you want one goal, how's this; this guy had a list of enemies. Talk to all of them at least once; the ones which are still alive. After that? I'll be satisfied, since it'll set in motion all the chaos I could want.]​

"Fair nuff. I wouldn't mind living an interesting life, just wanna make sure I have a way to get out if needed." I replied, pressing the To-Do-List once more.

[To-Do List]
[Get my Bell Back]
[Conquer the Known World, then find more to conquer]
[Get some competent minions, for once]
[Locate and pillage more sour beer]
[Kill those upstart princesses]
[Upgrade Sanctum, and find a new Anchor point (PRIORITY)]
[Weekly poker game in Tartarus]​

Reading the word 'Bell' jolted something inside me. The Bewitching Bell. My/His masterwork; an object forged from Origin materials, capable of stealing the magic of all it was turned upon. Grogar even used it as a training aid, draining his own reserves and forcing them to grow through repeated draining.

Of course, it also had a significant portion of his magic and soul tied to it. When he'd lost it, he'd lost more than half his magical might in one go. Which is why the Princesses were able to kick his ass. Shrugging, I figured I'd burn it if I got it back. Given the horrors it had been used for, I wasn't really in the mood to reclaim it beyond melting it down to forge something else from its ashes. Though a part of me which was Grogar wanted the power back, at least.

I shook my head, and tapped the next item.

[Targets]
[The Rites of Ascension] (Those princesses didn't spring out of whole cloth. Find out how they ascended to alicorn-hood, and modify the method.)
[The Bewitching Bell] (MY BELL. Get it back, before someone puts a spike through my chest or worse!)
[The Crystal Heart] (Aurora's national treasure. Steal it and watch that pretty little 'empire' get covered in snow.)
[Ashblight's Armor] (Rare enough is the dirt-bound fool who manages to seize power. Rarer still that he clashed with Faust and walked away. Find his tomb and figure out how his armor worked.)
[Key of Mare Dun] (I might have my own extra-dimensional fortress, but Mare Dun had a treasury that vanished with the city. Find the city, and loot it.)
[The Source] (Likely a fools' errand, but finding the Source of magic is every wizard's dream.)​

I snorted, and immediately began to softly edit the 'targets'.

[Ascension Ritual: I'm fairly certain that this has to do with the Elements of Harmony, if they exist here. Frankly, an academic concern at most.]
[A new relic: Find Grogar's bell and make my own relic. I'd rather not chance a portion of his soul reclaiming my body]
[Ashblight, Research: Figure out if Ashblight's armor actually had anything to do with his power. It could just be a portion, after all.]
[Mare Dun: Research the City more thoroughly. I don't wanna run into the outer gods]
[The Source: Fuck the Source]
[The Gods of Earth: See if I can't figure out a way to commune with Inari, Jesus, or Yahweh. I'd rather worship them over the demons Grogar decided to make a deal with.]​

Nodding, I moved onto the next item, filing away the Targets in [Grogar Archive] for future reference if needed.

[Enemies]
[Those Annoying Princesses] (Sunny and Moony need to die soon. Uniting all the herd-bound idiots won't do much now, but will be problematic later.)
[GUSTY] (That bitch stole my Bell, hid it, and then claimed to have banished me entirely when my creations started fading. Kill her publicly.)
[Tirek] (Asshole centaur who was mad I copied his special-snowflake ability, but better. If he wasn't a demon, I'd just kill him and be done with it.)
[Faust] (The princesses' mom. If we ever find out where she is, avoid her.)
[Gaius Redtalon] (Made his reputation off slaughtering my beasts. I should pay him a visit sometime.)
[Fire Lord Torch] (Dragons shouldn't be that big, nor wipe out entire armies with one breath. Show him who the real monster is, as soon as I get the chance.)
[Empress Aurora] (That shade of pink is unnatural. She should die or dye on general principles)
[Lord Sirius] (Wants my head after that cock-up with the tornado. Better off him first.)
[Discord] (Avoid until we have god-killing weapons handy, or figure out how to moderate intake from the Bell. Hope he doesn't leave Pandemonium any time soon.)​

Oh joy of joy Discord exists. Time to see if the princesses had entombed him as per MLP canon, which I was almost certainly not in, but hey, happy thoughts! With a simple tap, [Enemies] became [I have to talk to all of them if they're alive] and I hummed a merry tune as I clicked on the next and last item.

[Fools Who Trust Me]
[Obsidian Edge](Wanna-be necromancer and tool. Has a knack for it, at least, but no stomach for the real deal, and he's too trusting of me. A good cats-paw.)
[Mother Hawkmoth] (Changeling Queen, willing to deal. She thinks she's smarter than me, but other than that knows her limits. Willing to bow to force, but works better in a bargain.)
[Grumble] (Dragon. Swore a geas to me, owes me one more favor. Doesn't know I've still got the heart-breaker curse anchored to him. Will have to renew the geas after I use the last favor.)​

This one had me frowning. Obsidian likely was dead, unless he surpassed Grogar's expectations. Hawkmoth was likely dead, and I had mixed feelings about her. Grumble, on the other hand. I smirked. I could work with Grumble. He might like knowing that Grogar was gone for good.

Considering the world I was evidently in, I closed my eyes, trying to feel out the magic Grogar was supposed to have. Something told me to ask a question.

"How can you help me, that which connects and binds all to all. How can you help me help others. How can you help me keep those I will inevitably connect to safe?" I whispered, a sad smile on my face.

The response was… strange. Cautious, but not hesitating, as memories filled my mind and power surged within me.

The memories came thick. Grogar knew of twelve major fields of magic, each with different mechanics. He'd dabbled in every single one, but of them all, five were his main focus.

Improvement, seeping into each plate and pauldron, reinforcing and improving, imbuing each enchantment and action with greater force, inexorable, impossible. The Path of the Shield.

Energy, wrought into elements, transformed into flame, into thunder, into frost, sent hurtling towards his foes, cast forth back into the aether. The Path of the Flame.

Knowledge, distilled into lines, a code which could alter the very fabric of reality, writing out what the world should be, in defiance of what was. The Path of the Rune.

Pacts, bargains with Demons, with Eidolon, with Elementals, with Spirits; done in equality or forced upon the unwilling, binding oaths granting authority. The Path of the Sign.

Refinement, coming from the heat of the forge or the glow of gemstones, and the manipulation of properties, distilling meaning from magic into new strength. The Path of the Hammer.

Other, weaker echoes sifted through my mind (Note, Seed, Bow, Axe, Dagger, Fist, Crown) and some resonated better with me than those five Grogar favored. Seed, Note, and Sign stood out to me personally, though Seed had been Grogar's weakest field.. Quickly, I gauged the ones that had resonated with me the most, quickly sorting them mentally and physically into groups.

Sign was, as stated, the strongest of those I thought resonated with me. Pacts made increased strength, especially when both parties benefited from them. Interestingly, the Geas on Grumble had been a Sign pact, despite being one between two mortals. I lacked any of Gogar's pacts; probably for the best, since his only 'equal' pacts were with demons, and the rest were forced bindings. Reviewing the memories, I shuddered; Sign also dealt with Necromancy.

Seed was the magic of growth and living things, both plants and animals. While Grogar was dismissive of Seed magic, it seemed to be a form of biomancy and empathy; understanding of the world, and guiding or forcing its creatures into new and beneficial forms. It could also be used to heal. Grogar had made some minor use of it to create flesh golems early in his career before turning to Necromancy, bound spirits, and thralls. I snickered at his lack of sight, and imagined fondly of how Jealous Nihilo would be.

Note was… interesting. Note magic was powerful, the reverse counterpart to Seed; rather than making living things change, Note magic forced changes on the physical world, by imparting emotions to it to bring it to a semblance of life. It was associated with the Faerie, who could sing Joy into a pair of shoes to make them dance, whisper purpose into rocks to make them move, or force want into a coin to make it desirable. As a fun corollary, a Chanter could sing their emotions out to all around them, sacrificing any deception to bring others into harmony with them. That, especially if I wanted to talk to Grogar's enemies, would be important. Note was not easy to counterfeit in Grogar's time. I couldn't imagine that changing.

All of the arts which resonated with me were more on the soft side, but the other powers Gorgar had cultivated would still be useful. Shield, Rune, and Hammer were all potent in creating and maintaining equipment; essential for me. Flame was a direct combat staple, and Shield could be used to turn ordinary gear into something viable over time.

I shook my head, then headed to the Vault. I should take a look at what I had to work with. A few minutes later I found myself standing before a large steel door embedded in the wall. This one was secured, since Grogar had sufficient paranoia to keep his relics safe. Oddly enough, rather than a lock or combination tumbler, the front of the door contained a circle of eight bells.

Parsing through my memories, I nodded, ringing them in the right order; as the ninth note sounded, the doors opened. Rolling my eyes, I strode into the room, quite (amused) annoyed that the Imperial March oppressed even here, in Equestria.

The Armory was fairly well organized. For the most part, it bore a significant resemblance to a standard fantasy treasure room; chests lined the walls and odd trophies stood on shelves or rested within glass cases, while one wall was covered in an array of mounted weapons. Unlike most treasure rooms, there was no massive mound of coins; instead, there was a series of large bins filled with gold and silver nuggets, loose gemstones, and other assorted treasures.

The center of the room, however, was devoted to a single rack upon which rested a set of dark gray armor bound together with red leather and silver studs. The armor, and the hefty axe which rested at its feet, was mangled terribly; parts had been warped by high heat, and significant gaps opened where small plates had been ripped away.

Frowning at it, I tried to remember if melting down both and reforging them into something else would demerit me significantly, keeping it in mind as I browsed, looking for a few specific items. A melee weapon, a bow (and quiver and arrows), a dagger or survival knife, and a set of clothes that actually fit damnit, hopefully with a cloak thrown in.

Passing by the ruined armor, I winced as more foreign memories assaulted me. Decades spent imbuing the armor with power, channelling his own might into it to resist and turn every blow and spell used against it; only for all but the bones of the enchantments layered upon it withered away from blasts of shining starlight and blazing sunlight. All undone.

The armor was still enchanted, but without the enhancements of Shield or repairs via Hammer, it wouldn't do me much good. Even the metal had been warped into purpose; if melted down, it would be useful only as slag. A pity; it had been very good armor, once upon a time; enough to ward off an assault by two furious demigods. Deciding that it was a frankly lost cause, I made up my mind to slag it, and use the metal for art or something, if I couldn't find a use for it with Note.

Browsing the armor stored in boxes along one wall, I found three things of note which might be of value. The first was… essentially lingerie. I stared at the thin strips of silk and leather, composed and designed to show off as much skin as possible without crossing into obscene. Oddly enough, Grogar had had it enchanted; it had enough weather resistance charms on it to let the wearer dance in a snowstorm or a volcano at equal comfort. I took it off the shelves immediately, and put it on; I wasn't afraid of showing skin, and the enchantments were absurdly useful. Also, Grogar wouldn't be caught dead in it, so the shock factor may buy me time if I was recognized.

The second discovery wasn't enchanted at all, but was fully covering; a set of dark grey robes, trimmed tastefully with gold thread. According to the memories, this was actually Lady Hawkmoth's spare set, but my new body could fit it perfectly. It was warm, and had a sturdy set of chainmail as a mid-layer between silk and cloth.

The final find was… perplexing. A suit of armor, a heavy long coat with armor beneath and a mail-skirted cap. It looked… solid, and when I assessed it with my new magical senses, I could feel enchantments for quiet movement, elemental resistance, and endurance throughout. Not the best quality, but this had been intended for a warrior-ranger Grogar had been grooming before she turned on him; the armor would fit my new frame nearly perfectly. On it went, overtop my cheating cheater who cheats not!lingerie. They layered fine, though I could tell there were some conflicts between the enchantments; I'd need to see about modifying one or the other if I was going to use them both consistently. Perhaps Note would allow some temporary harmony between the conflicts? Browsing my memories, I frowned at the lack of response; Note was one of Grogar's weaker fields, but his library might have more.

The weapon racks were fruitful; there was a dizzying array of swords, spears, and hatchets available, most taken from dead foes or put together for practice. Parsing through my memories, I made my choice. I started looking for a sensible battle-axe most similar to the one Grogar used, looking for a short sword and hunting knife to complement them. Instead, my hand hovered over a simple, flanged mace of some silver metal, eyes narrowing at the Light pouring off of it.

My senses pinged at the Mace as I looked closer. Sign magic; bindings. Grogar's memories recalled taking it off of a Kitsune warrior-monk. Growling at the memory, forcibly reminding myself I wasn't him, I softly touched the mace, looking to see if the monk was similar to the tricksters of lore, or a messenger of the gods, as I was familiar with.

I had considered that there'd be something inside the mace. What I hadn't considered was that it would be so desperate for attention that it would latch onto my spirit at the first brush of my power.

Fiend-not-fiend-he-is-dead-you-are-not-the-usurper. A feeling of relief and hope surged up my arm.

Slightly baffled, I latched my magic onto the mace, feeding reassuring feelings into it, and through Note attempted to bear my intentions to it, a soft song on my lips. Peace-resolve-apologies-alliance?

Yes.
The mace flickered, the image of a four-winged bird, pinions ignited with the colors of dawn upon the tip. As it faded, I felt more than heard the mace link to my spirit. The spirit was a benevolent one, in the sense that it stood against fear and terror; thus they stood against those which caused it. I'd have to see about modifying the contract if needed, if only so it was more beneficial to the Sunbird; I had a theory that intent and benevolence had its own rewards.

The array of daggers… was sparse. I mean, there were a lot of knives and daggers; but the vast majority were ritual knives of some sort, many so seeped in old blood or pain to be worthless. I figured they'd make good scrap, and made a mental note to separate them based on metal; at least the pain and suffering that they had inflicted could potentially be used to benefit others…

I eventually found one blade which met my requirements; a heavy seax knife, taken from a Griffon raider. It wasn't enchanted beyond the essentials, but did have enough of a hefty blade to sever sinew, wood, or leather as needed. Given Grogar's distaste for bows, I quickly sorted through my memories to determine if he had any nice ones, double checking with magical senses to see if he did.

None of the bows on the weapon wall were of any use; but my memories guided me to what I could categorize as 'Trophies.' Mounted in a glass case, a sturdy horn recurve bow rested above a quiver of green-fletched arrows. I sighed as I recalled Grogar pulling it from the hands of an elk-horned elf, displaying the trophy to a panicking warband of royal courtiers. Ambushing a Prince on the hunt to demoralize his mother was frankly stupid, given how pissed off mothers tended to get when you messed with their children. Fucking idiot, it would have been better to lay a trap for the whole family. One royal surviving meant a rallying banner and a bunch of martyrs, and in this case, an extremely pissed off mother.

The bow wasn't enchanted with any aids to accuracy or power; the makeup of the bow was enough to give it strength. I turned it gingerly in my hands; it was a beautiful piece. Hopefully, my meager skills would put it to good use.

Finally kitted out, I searched the shelves, following my memories to one of the knick-knack shelves. Beside a shattered sword and a shrunken head, I pulled a short, rune-carved black rod from the shelf. The Anchor Rod needed to be embedded in a place of power; beyond that, a defensible location would be good. That or a highly remote one, if I got lucky. I'd need to make another tap if I was gonna risk that though.

I turned back to the shattered and soon-to-be-scrapped armor, opening the pouches around its waist. I removed two rings and a small amulet on a leather thong. One ring, made of obsidian carved with silver runes, protected against most environmental effects; strong winds, high heat, extreme cold, or more esoteric conditions. The other, a silver ring with a green stone, protected against poisons, venoms, and drugs. The Free Wind pendant would allow me to instantaneously teleport once per day to a preset location. I would have to attune that to my anchor rod's location as soon as I could; or I could leave it attuned to my throne room.

A bit more rooting around later, I picked up a belt pouch with what my mind interpreted as the Handy Haversack enchantment on it; capable of holding twenty-four times its physical size, and would deliver the object I wanted to my fingertips when I reached in. With this in hand, I did a quick search for possible equipment, only to turn up nothing. My memories indicated Grogar used magic for almost every 'survival' task out there.

Once I was fully equipped, I stepped out of the treasury and made my way back to the throne room. Behind the actual throne, I tapped the three spots on the wall which allowed access to a small room containing a tall pillar of black stone inscribed with thousands of tiny runes in gold. The Core flashed slightly as it attuned itself to the new anchor, and readied itself to connect to the land. Briefly, I dug through my memories, trying to see if I could either adjust some settings, or if the dungeon was sapient.

The settings adjustment came easily; between the Core and the Throne, I could alter anything within the confines of the Dungeon's programming. But that's all the Dungeon had; programming. There was no mind behind the words on my screen., which was what I preferred, honestly. I'd rather not have to deal with a sapient being that dealt with and worked for Grogar. Nodding, I smirked as I began to change the settings, making sure to replace Grogar with a name-

I paused, hands shaking as I tried to force myself to use my name-

The name of a woman who was for all intents and purposes dead, her family mourning her, and her partners lost to her. Gritting my teeth, I put in another name, a name that held some meaning to me.

πνεῦμα, or Pneuma. The meaning behind it varied, but the one that I was going for was the Vital Spirit, Soul, or Creative Force of an individual. With a bit of thought, I deleted all instances of titles from the programming as well. I was πνεῦμα, and that was really all I felt comfortable calling myself. Shuddering, I exited the Core Chamber, making my way to the dungeon for the most somber of my self assigned tasks.

The Cells were… clean. Cleaner than they had any right to be, considering what they were. Walking into the space, I peered through each set of bars, grimacing as I gazed upon seven desiccated bodies. Grogar's memories indicated that the prisoner's rations were automated; these poor souls likely starved to death when the food went bad.

The eighth cell had… something worse, if at all possible. Rather than the stark and clinical nature of the other seven, the eighth had the body contained within strapped into some sort of pillory, dark-brown tubes and dried green alchemical ash crusted and dangling from bound limbs. Grogar had been extracting Fae essence for use in potions; the faerie bound in the stocks was literally bled daily to provide a constant flow for his work.

I snapped, a roar of rage bubbling in my throat as I stared at the atrocity, a flame, white hot in my hands burned, demanding I cleanse this place in fire, though I knew internally that it would solve nothing, nor bring these tortured souls back. Yet-

I threw the flame at each of the bodies, forcing myself to watch as it consumed them, praying to Jesus that they had found rest in the afterlife, and swearing never to commit such an atrocity myself, Pact binding the words to my soul. It was upon the eighth body that a strange occurrence happened; as the flames touched the fae's bound corpse, it did not shatter into ash; instead it lifted its burning eyes.

"Thrice I curse you, Grogar. May your spells fail, may your plans rot, and may your soul wither. Thrice and more have I suffered, and thrice my pain you shall be repaid." The echo of the Fae's last curse spilled from her lips, and for a moment, I felt the curse echo back through time.

Well. Now I know why Grogar never woke up. A darkly satisfied smile etched itself across my face, and I bowed deeply towards the body, "Your curse did enough, Fae. He is gone, and I will undo his work brick by brick, dust to dust, and ash to ash. Thank you for giving me a second chance, though it likely wasn't your intention."

With that said, I spun and walked out of the room, headed towards the library, if only so I could look up some very basic things before I went to activate the mana tap.

I emerged from the library with a skip in my step, reviewing the notes I'd taken in the back of my head. Grogar had been many things; cruel, foul, petty, and aggressive among them, but he'd also been a seeker and hoarder of knowledge. Any 'competent' book of magical theory, spell-craft, enchanting, or mystic lore he found ended up cataloged, to be perused at his leisure.

Of course, his library had many more tomes of necromancy and other Sign magic than other types, and he'd had far more books on magical crafting than any of the 'softer' magics. His collection of Seed lore was miniscule compared to the other branches, but that was mostly because none of the tomes and scrolls which were part of his library were focused on that subject. He had a massive collection of research notes on that magic, as well as stolen and recorded crystals on the subject. Unfortunately, unlike his other studies, they weren't organized or labeled; and I didn't currently have the time to sort them all out.

His records on Note magic were far more comprehensive, and I'd taken the time to use my better-rounded understanding to mesh my undeergamets to my armor, enchantment-wise. I was feeling much better about heading out, now.

Readying my gear, I approached the Portal room with speed. Entering the portal bay, I peered around. Sixteen circles of stone were depressed in the walls around me; ten had no labels, and the gemstones set in their uppermost arch glowed a steady, unobtrusive yellow. Of the remaining six, four stones were red, the remaining two were green. A quick gesture brought up the screen for the chamber.

Portal Connections
Whitetail Forest: Connection Broken (Clear/Attempt Reset)
Night Terror Crevice: Connection Broken (Clear/Attempt Reset)
Twilight Woods: Ready
Ev3&F##3 4V21*: Connection Unstable (Clear/???)
Greeneedle Steppes: Ready
Umbral Plane (Tatarus): Connection Broken (Clear/Attempt Reset)
Ten Connections Available​

Nodding, I quickly ran through my memories, figuring out how to shatter a connection as Umbral Plane connection came up. I figured the numeral text one was the Everfree Forest or whatever it was called, and left it alone. Greeneedle was too close to Equestria, and that left Twilight Woods, the birthplace of the ponies. It would do, especially if it was abandoned.

With a quick gesture, I cleared out the connection to the Umbral Plane, leaving me with eleven available connections. Finally, I prepared to step into the unknown, moving to stand before one of the portals and tapping my foot on the stone at its base. This caused the green light to shine blue- a glow which enveloped the rest of the circle of stone, flowing inward to create a plane of light. The light grew in brightness, then dissipated to form a hole in the air, through which natural light could be seen filtering through tree branches.

Once more unto the breach, to where no human has set foot before I mused to myself with a giggle. Then I paused. And still won't, I guess. Can't exactly call myself human in anything but soul now, and I always did identify more as a Nabatean or Manakete…

*snickers*
Let the fun times begin! This isn't blind, so feel free to comment freely~

YEEEESSSSSSSSSS
You have all my support on this, this is an amazing setup and I can't wait to see where you end up going.
A good story ignites the passion of imagination in its readers, sending them fantasizing about every terse moment and action their characters could take, and this small first chapter is doing that in spades.

I immediately found myself imagining this Grogar doing various duplicitous forays into Ponyville, trying to gauge just where she is in the timeline. Maybe even trying to convince one of the main six she's their long long far off ancestor, we've seen that two earth ponies can result in a pegasus and unicorn child, so whats the difference of some sort of goat in the family tree?

"Greetings to thee, treasured descendant! Verily, I be Grogar, thy ancestor! Now come valiant Fluttershy, and let the cries and screams of your enemies be drowned out by the shattering of their crushed skulls!"

YEEEESSSSSSSSSS
You have all my support on this, this is an amazing setup and I can't wait to see where you end up going.
A good story ignites the passion of imagination in its readers, sending them fantasizing about every terse moment and action their characters could take, and this small first chapter is doing that in spades.

I immediately found myself imagining this Grogar doing various duplicitous forays into Ponyville, trying to gauge just where she is in the timeline. Maybe even trying to convince one of the main six she's their long long far off ancestor, we've seen that two earth ponies can result in a pegasus and unicorn child, so whats the difference of some sort of goat in the family tree?

"Greetings to thee, treasured descendant! Verily, I be Grogar, thy ancestor! Now come valiant Fluttershy, and let the cries and screams of your enemies be drowned out by the shattering of their crushed skulls!"
Amusing! Also unlikely, but amusing. Miho has, however, planned on hitting on up Twilight for magical experimentation.

Amusing! Also unlikely, but amusing. Miho has, however, planned on hitting on up Twilight for magical experimentation.
Hey! Twilight is hot personality wise, okay?! But given I don't really know her age in canon, I'm verifying that before I start plotting to date canon characters! And I'd frankly rather date Luna post Nightmare Moon by a bit (So she's recovered mentally) than Twi. Twilight is great, but she needs to mature a bit (if similar to canon) before I'd date her.

Hey! Twilight is hot personality wise, okay?! But given I don't really know her age in canon, I'm verifying that before I start plotting to date canon characters! And I'd frankly rather date Luna post Nightmare Moon by a bit (So she's recovered mentally) than Twi. Twilight is great, but she needs to mature a bit (if similar to canon) before I'd date her.
inB4 she somehow ends up at the Pie Rock farm...

Chapter 2: Anchors Away
Hooves sunk into deep green moss, small clods of the ground cover coming loose as I walked into the half-lit forest. Emerging from the portal had caused it to disperse, blue glowing runes fading back into the rune-carved pillar behind me. The moss-covered obelisk still functioned despite two thousand years of neglect.

All around me, moss covered trees swayed slightly in the breeze. The stones behind and piled below my hooves sat on a slight incline; one way led downward, towards what might have been the sounds of moving water, while the upward slope led towards a slightly brighter part of the forest.

Listening, I smiled as I basked in nature, a thread of mana reaching out from me to touch the land, using a basic Seed magic to analyze the surroundings. Nothing much. Some animals, the normal wildlife and flora. Nodding, I consulted Grogar's memories to see if there were any areas of significance nearby. He'd mostly used this portal as a way to reach the northern kingdoms and find rare reagents; some mushrooms and herbs had only grown in these areas, long ago.

Grogar did know of a single nearby settlement; one which had been failing even during his time. Stonehoof Quarry was an Earth-Aspect settlement, so the buildings were likely mostly intact. Beyond that, Grogar had no knowledge which seemed pertinent. Not after over two thousand years. If I was going to find a good place to plant my Anchor, I might have to do some searching.

Shrugging, I figured attempting to scry the nearby area may be for the best, if only to get a sense of the locale. Digging through Grogar's memories, I cast a basic scrying spell, hoping to get a birds eye view, or perhaps a satellite view of the area. One, based on Dagger magic, came to mind.

Dagger is the magic of perception, illusion, and disguise. Often associated with liars, crooks and thieves… because that's who used it most. Oddly enough, special investigators, trackers, and hunters also made great use of Dagger, in order to pursue prey or avoid detection. In this case, the spell would give me an illusion of standing hundreds of feet in the air, and with a thought, I sent the avatar running through the area, in an attempt to get a general sense of what surrounded me.

Forests reached many leagues in all directions… save north, which emerged onto heather-capped hills. Great stones and moss-coverer boulders stretched for miles upon the verdant hills until they ran into the base of mountains. To the south, I traced a winding river cutting though the trees, with a noticeable bulge in the forest canopy where a hill sat near the river. To the northeast, the green was broken in a spot I knew to be the site of Stonehoof; to the northwest, a crevice hid the start of the river which swept into the forest acres later. To the southeast, within the forest, the top of an ancient stone building pierced the tree canopy.

Besides the distant town and the half-covered building, there was no sign of civilization, save for a small curl of smoke breaking the treeline to the southwest. Noting the direction, I ended the spell and began my trek towards the southeast, aiming for the ancient stone building. Perhaps I would find something there, amongst the ruins.

The trek was short, especially given I was wasting no time in trying out the art of Fist. Fist arts, also called Cultivation, were practiced by some of the longer-lived races, but also those who were the most selfish; the Oni. Fist arts involved cycling mana through the body, building nodes and breaking internal limits. Even the most basic use of mana-cycling allowed me to bound through the woods like an elk, sure-footedly bouncing over rock and wood to clear distance beneath the canopy.

Truth be told, even without the magic, I was in better shape than I'd ever been in my last life. Which was good, since I didn't exactly want to add a fitness regime to my goals. Which already included exploring Seed to see if I could do some Transhumanism; I wasn't exactly happy with my new body, especially given the demonic taint it carried due to Grogar's poor life choices.

Regardless, leyline first, biomancy later.

The structure ahead of me seemed to be an odd amalgamation of a ziggurat and a church. A tiered structure with a central building, supplanted by a tall bell tower and steeple. The lower levels were overgrown with plants, dirt filling the lower steps of the pyramid; but the top level was mostly clear. Deciding that I may as well see if it was built on a leyline, I expanded my senses.

I jerked back as several conflicting sensations surrounded me. This place had power- lots of it. Enough that planting the Anchor here would fill my Dungeon's reserves in a matter of a week. The building itself was… a home. It spoke of greenery, of careful cultivation long since gone to seed. In the lower terraces, I could barely see the remnants of old cultivation, Seed magic still causing some herbs to grow and bloom out of season.

But it was the building at the top which caused me to pause. Wards, powerful ones, turned inward. And within, killing the growth which rose to the temple, a writhing mass of hatred.

And cold. Deep cold, old cold. Trapped for a long time. And one that I was very happy to get rid of, especially since this was likely the best leyline for miles around me. Girding myself, I searched my memories, trying to figure out if the cold was one I knew or knew of.

Grogar knew of this cold. He'd laughed as the spirits which brought it drove the haughty and squabbling High Aspects from their ancestral homes for the third time. It was only pure luck and the randy fun of three rebellious youths that saved their fourth 'homeland' from the same fate.

Windigo. Grogar had never faced one, but the spirits of Hatred, Ice, and Bitterness were well known to him. They could be vanquished by love or by friendship. Grogar had been more interested in binding one, if it ever came to that.

However, I was fairly confident in my chances. I had known love, known friendship, and my partners and family could help me with this, even if theirs was a memory tainted by loss. Rapidly, I searched through Grogar's memories to see if a patronus equivalent existed here. For once, I came up blank; Grogar hadn't ever considered the concept, though one may have been developed since.

Shrugging, I began my ascent anyway. I could always use Sign if needed, and frankly, Windigos were something I knew I could conquer. I was able to briefly contend with a pissed off pair of demigoddesses, I could handle a trumped up ghost.

The doors to the old temple were still solid, the wards on the building preserving them against the ravages of time. Opening the doors would be difficult, and would break the wards; they required the wholeness of the building to exist. I could see where the windows had been grown shut, stone warped to close the gaps.

Narrowing my eyes, I decided that in the absurdly small chance I failed, I should have precautions. Drawing on my knowledge of Rune and my understanding of Sign, I began to trace a pattern in the air. A circle of small symbols, representing binding and containment, formed at my fingertips, and with a flick I sent them to ascend, widen, and then encircle the building. I felt my reserves drop; Rune was the most flexible magic internally, capable of replicating or modifying the effects of any of the other fields of magic. However, every word and line of Rune magic had its cost, and the art required the memorization of both the meaning and interactions of thousands of different symbols. Not too dissimilar from Kanji or Mandarin, so I did have a leg up there, including Grogar's memories.

Regardless, I wouldn't be using Rune in combat outside of certain circumstances. But for this, it was fine. Pushing the doors open after confirming the ward was live, I entered the building, a floating orb of light manifesting at my side, a beacon to light my way.

The light passed over shattered tables and old skeletons crusted with frost. Neither it nor I got far before a scream like howling wind echoed from beneath the wooden floors, giving me just a moment to dodge aside as a massive blue-white figure passed intangibly through the floorboards. A massive stallion, formed of whirling winds and ethereal snow passed through the rubble, leaving a line of iced-over ground behind it.

I blinked, not at all intimidated; Grogar's memories had far greater foes, and I had love and friendship on my side, a soft smile gracing my face as I thought of my Partners, going over those I loved, and the memories we shared as I held my hand outwards, a pure white flame dancing at my fingertips, Note magic flaring as I began to sing,

"Heart of ember, autumntide." I sang, the first lines of "Footfalls'' tumbling from my lips, the song about finding hope in despair perfect for my foe, "Cooling swiftly, bleeding light."

The Windigo shuddered, edges becoming less distinct, before it reared, sending a blast of cold air rocketing my way, water vapor hardening into sines of ice as it breathed. The fire in my hands flared, forming a wall of flames before me as I sung the next few lines, memories of fondly spent time dancing in my mind, "Smold'ring softly, biding time. Marching forward, left behind."

The flames roared, but were not solid enough. I grunted as the icy spikes burst through, trailing steam as they smashed into my chest. Coughing momentarily, I continued singing, as if nothing has happened, a shield of pure mana prepared just in case; Fire had proven not quite as effective as I'd like, and I needed to be prepared to dodge. And dodge I did, barely avoiding the monster's charge even as it broke through my hastily drawn up shield. The Windigo wheeled, driving one suddenly ice-solid hoof into my stomach.

With an annoyed grunt, "Are you sure you actually want me to get serious, ghost? I'm trying to be nice and send you back to your rest with a song, and you're not letting me."

Sign it was. I had no qualms using it unequally on such a hateful little thing. And I had already prepared for this contingency. I held up one hand, causing golden chains, distinct from the black ones Grogar summoned automatically, to burst from my palm and rebound off the walls, rooting the Windigo in place. "Now, where was I, ah yes."

"Fire as shadows clash, forgotten footfalls engraved in ash. Fire will be repaid, 'Fore our echos begin to fade." My voice by this point had taken an ethereal note, though I noticed not until reflecting on the memory later.

"Fade away… fade away…"

"Heart of ember, autumntide, burning brightly, hot and white. Kindred severed neverwhere, sorrow's silence we needn't bear."

As I sang, memories poured into the song, days spent writing with Tale, the laughter as Iri and I watched anime together over discord, Silvan's mischievous ways, Chaos' kindness and love, and Sketchy's teasing, flirty self poured into the song.

"Stories told along the way; Tales of loss and fire and faith." Memories of my family joined, of the love my mother had, of my father's determined drive, of my siblings and the memories we shared.

"Dys an sohm in, Rohs an kyn ala na, Mah morn. Dys an sohm in, Sahl djahs afah an." Finally, the memories of friends, lost or kept joined the song, the draconian language of the dragons from Final Fantasy Fourteen flowing from my mouth with an ease I had not possessed before.

As the song continued, the winter spirit thrashed and bucked, each moment becoming more and more disparate, as streaks of pink and red flowed through the beast. Even as the chains faded, so did the monster, until with a screech it dissolved, pink light suffusing pale white as it fragmented and faded. Soon, all that was left was an empty temple, and a sheen of quickly thawing frost.

"And that wasn't even the full song." I muttered, a new respect forming for Note, "I hadn't even gotten to the most impactful bridge in the history of music."

Yet, it didn't matter. With a smile, the memories affecting me more strongly than I'd expected, I swept the temple with my magical senses, sighing as both my wards and the fading remnants of the building's wards dissolved. Below me, the wellspring of mana was strong; and beside it, was the echo of something else… something which seemed to feel like wards and earth.

Curious, I headed downwards, magical senses at full tilt. Using a basic facet of Note I projected my intent, of simple curiosity, and the feeling of my first victory over the Windigo. Nothing happened as I descended the stairs. In the first basement, I wrinkled my nose as the scent of old rot touched my nose. In the middle of the room, a half-armored skeleton clutched a spiraled staff of oak and stone, embedded in the stone floor. This staff had been the focus for the containment of the Windigo.

Respectfully, I walked towards the warrior-mage/shaman, and bowed, "You have done your duty. I have vanquished the one you sacrificed yourself to contain. Rest now, with that knowledge, ancient one."

Gladly, outsider. The voice was gruff and old, more of an echo than a true statement. Put my bones in the Earth, and my staff to good use. Ya ken?

"Of course. May I have thine name, spirit? I wish to remember you, and to place the name you walked the mortal planes under on thine tombstone." I said softly, gathering up the bones in a telekinetic grip, respectful; keeping them in the shape of the man. The voice did not speak again, so I just brought the bones outside, collecting the bones on the first floor as I did so. With an application of Note and Seed I buried him and his fellows beside the temple, a seed, one belonging to a sturdy species of tree planted atop his grave, sung to so it would encase their remains in the roots, not destroy them.

Finishing my work, I headed back inside, scooping up the staff along the way. The staff seemed an excellent focus for Rune and Seed magic, and still carried reinforcements born of Shield magic. It would serve me well, and if I grew attached to it, I could see about enhancing it further for those two magics.

Now that the Windigo was banished and the place cleaned of bones, I took the chance to inspect the first two floors more closely. The ground floor was a simple dining hall of some sort, with an attached kitchen; narrow rooms along each wall held the moldering remains of bunks. Grogar's memories were scant, but as best I could puzzle out this place had been an Earth Aspect Redoubt; a combination of spiritual retreat, forward outpost, and traveler's rest stop.

The first level cellar was chilled to the bone; even with the Windigo gone, it's cold was only held off by my gear's enchantments, and still lingered in the basement. The cold had done no favors to the large stockpile of vegetables and meats stored below; while I was certain some of it might be salvageable, much of it had been reduced to frozen mush or ruined by freezer burn. Meanwhile, the weapons and gear stowed in the same locations had long since rusted away; my new staff had been preserved through integration with the wards.

The lowest level was yet more storage space; and this time, there was usable material. Here, where the chill had been far less serious and the preservation wards more complex, several crates of potatoes and a few haunches of meat remained untouched, despite millenia of neglect. Looking at the raw food, I felt my stomach rumble.

I ignored the food for now, simply heading towards the best location to put the anchor in. There, in the back of the room, a simple stone wall called to me. I pulled out the Anchor, holding it up and letting a pulse of power flow through to wake it up. It hovered out of my hands, then slammed into the wall and sank in, runes fragmenting to cover the stonework as the rod itself disintegrated. Moments later, the wall began to warp, stones blackening as they reshaped into a wide arch, large enough for a double-door. Once the frame was complete, a pair of heavy doors of a familiar style snapped into being, rearing goats covering the rough metal. With a pulse of power, my Sanctum settled into its new location.. Satisfied, I began to ferry the food inside my sanctum, intent on letting my unseen servants cook me a meal, damnit. I was hungry.

As soon as the crates passed into the portal, unseen hands lifted them and began to speed them towards the appropriate storage. As I stood in my sanctum once again, a new set of messages popped up on the screen.

Anchor Installed
Assessing Income… complete. 16% Daily Regeneration available.
Coming off Power save mode… done. Construction and non-essential maintenance tasks available.
Recommended Protocols:
Trigger Spoilage Purge (Accept/Deny/Defer)
Conduct Spot Cleaning (Accept/Deny/Defer)
Message Delivery (Throne Room/Summarize/Defer)
External Integration (Throne Room/Auto-Complete/Reject/Defer)​

I nodded to myself, accepting the first two, summarizing the messages, and pausing as I hovered over external integration. Grogar's memories told me that 'External Integration' was something he never used; essentially, it would cause the Sanctum to fully merge with the world, allowing it to expand its functions into 'claimed' territory. Seeing as I'd set the Sanctum into a hill within an existing structure, that would claim the whole complex above and allow me to add more rooms, excavate the earth, and even magically create structures with enough power. The only downside was that the Sanctum would be much more difficult to move if I ever wanted to take it somewhere else. It wasn't really a choice. I firmly tapped auto-complete. The benefits outweigh the negatives, and I needed to start my republic somewhere. Well, future republic, at least.

The whole hill and structure shook slightly on the physical plane, and thrummed on the magical, before both went still.

Integration Complete
Map Expanded
Insufficient Mana to repair all damaged structures and furnishings. Please wait 7 hours, 23 minutes for sufficient mana and reserves to be allocated.​

I nodded, heading back towards the throne room, referring to the map as I planned out the rest of my day, hopefully with food soon. I frowned. I was tired, extremely so. However, food had to come first. I trotted to one of the doors I had yet to explore, stepping through to Grogar's personal suite, now mine.

The aesthetic… well. It fit Grogar. Black wood, wall tapestries showing his victories, mage-light lamps glowing with blue flames. It wasn't horribly ostentatious; the old goat understood the meaning of restraint. But he did like gold leaf, blood red, black, and smoking. The pipe sitting on the entrance table, next to a sealed box containing eight different 'medicinal' blends was proof of that. I pointedly ignored it, resolving to use it as a gift or sell it at a later date.

I walked into the bedroom, setting aside my armor and gear as I went. The bedroom has a king-sized bed with plush, slate-blue covers; a diversion from the red of the rest, but matching my hair. From Grogar's memories, I walked over to the hefty desk, swept aside some parchments, and knocked once. "Surprise me." I said softly, smiling. I then turned away and continued shedding clothes, hanging my armor and coat over a nearby rack. By the time I turned back, a platter had appeared on the table, breaded and fried cutlets of meat over potatoes with gravy. It was accompanied by a thick glass tumbler filled with deep red wine.

Smiling, I dug in; the food was a little bland, but that may have been the lack of seasonings and accompanying veggies; it was still tasty, if only due to hunger. The wine was sweeter than I was used to having, and seemed to have been spiced with something. Shrugging, I consumed it anyway. It wasn't exactly bad. I could probably improve the dish, but it was serviceable food. Finishing up, I rapped once more and watched the platter fade from sight.

Setting the silverware down, I looked for a restroom, and went about my pre bed rituals, before heading to bed. The bed was soft, downy, and perfectly comfortable, and I easily drifted off to sleep.

Huh. She should put 'Friend' on the tombstone. Without knowing the poor souls name, it might be the best compliment she can give them...

Chapter 3: Running Hot, Running Cold
When I awoke, sometimes it took me a second, blearily waking up from a particularly memorable lucid or vivid dream. But on most days? I was up instantly and out of bed with a purpose. Requesting yet another bland meal from my table, I went about my morning routine, showering and doing my best to clean myself.

Then, ruminating over the events of the past day, I ate a simple breakfast before heading to the throne room, checking the messages I had not checked yesterday. There were… two unread messages left; one from Obsidian, and one from Hawkmoth. I opened Hawkmoth's message first.

Grogar: you owe me.

I know you're not dead, you terrible sack of shit. I don't care how long you've been sulking after Sunbutt and Lunatic beat your ass, your end of our Geas still hasn't died. But I'm about to, so I'm calling in every favor with you I have. By the time you read this, I'm going to be dead. But despite what my treacherous underlings or Violetta think, my lineage isn't going to die with me.

You know where my hive is. You know where my throne is. What no one knows is that the vault behind the throne is a trap. I keep my treasures elsewhere. Including my most important one.

My only queen egg.

My royal panoply and wargear belong to Her, when she comes into her full growth. As does my magi-mind, my emotional reserves, and if she can take it back, my kingdom. Everything else in that vault is yours, provided you raise her into a proper changeling queen.

I know you can break the Geas. I also know the costs of doing that, so DON'T.
Teach her well, let her grow up. THRICE I DECLARE, THIS IS MY PAYMENT.

I felt the hooks of the spell snatch at my soul. I wasn't Grogar; the message was trying to enact the Geas upon me, but I didn't need to let it settle. Taking hold of the magic, I simply let it sit in my grasp, reviewing my memories before a truly terrifying smile broke out across my face; the freedom offered by the terms devolving me into a full belly laugh as I let the magic latch on to my soul. All I had to do was raise the little one to be a proper queen; and there were infinite ways of interpreting that.

The Geas came with a gift; the memories of a hollow, deep within the highlands north of the Crystal Empire. My grin brightened further. I ignored the message from the chief minion for now. I had a child to adopt and raise as a benevolent sage-queen with the best of Exalt Emmyrin's traits!

Humming a jaunty tune I made my way towards the portal chamber, practically vibrating as I stepped through the portals to the Greenneedle Steppes. Practically singing and skipping by now, I focused on my gifted memories and popped away, teleporting towards the area I knew held the hidden vault.

My first teleport brought me to a high ridge, and I stopped to take in my surroundings for the first time. The Steppes, and the forest which rested atop it, were blanketed with thick snow, the ice crystals reflecting the light brilliantly beneath a cloud-touched blue sky. Turning, I felt the first major shock to Grogar's memories as I stared south, across what was now a massive snow plain.

Grogar had stood near this ridge before, directing a cabal of minions and a small undead raiding force, as he assisted the Caribou in their attempt to seize the Crystal Empire. From this peak, the old goat could see the shining spires of the Empire's capital, and the spread of crystal-warded farms which surrounded it.

Now, the whole plain was nothing but a sheet of frozen tundra, surmounted by a single, howling, unmoving blizzard. Curious, I extended my magical senses towards the howling blizzard; it couldn't be natural in the slightest. The distance was vast, too vast for me to feel anything from this distance; but I could feel the magic of the storm was a mere side effect of something greater. Shrugging, I teleported again, closer to my destination.

This time, I found myself on a mountainside, looking down at a secluded valley. Again, there was a major difference in my memories and those of Grogar's; in Grogar's very vague recollections, there was nothing in this valley but trees and a small lake. Now, there was movement far below.

Next to the splashing lake, a large curtain wall of stone was surrounded by a wooden settlement, itself surrounded by a wooden palisade. Much of the nearby forests had been cleared back, towers of stone holding glowing dots surrounded by farmland. The palisade wall extended to what appeared to be some sort of mine or quarry, and roads led to and from the town in several directions.

Fortunately, it seemed as though the settlement hadn't built right on top of the sealed vault. As I prepared to take the final step, I heard a soft whistling coming from above. My head whipped upwards, and I instinctively reached for my mace-

Which I had left at home like a goddamn dumbass. I barely had time to see a massive snowball hurtle at me, smashing into my flat-footed form and sending me tumbling down the slope. Grunting, I flared my magical might; the snowball exploded, and I skidded to a stop, now highly irritated; and suddenly very cold. Looking down in horror, I realized that my enchanted underthings had been shredded by the tumble; without those enchantments, I was exposed to the elements, and the cold was already sapping my strength.

"PRETTY…" A coarse, savage voice came down from the heights, and I looked up to see a massive simian creature covered in white fur loping over the stones and snow. I didn't give it a chance, blanching as I recalled exactly what these wonderful things liked to do to women. I was lewd, but I wasn't into that. Operating fully on instinct now, I lobbed the fastest and strongest fire spell I could at it, eyes watching the beast like a hawk; prepared to react at a moment's notice.

The flames struck, causing the creature to cover its face and ruined its headlong charge into a dirty scramble, allowing me to dodge aside. The creature was a bit scorched, his toothy grin twisted into a snarl as he turned back to me. "STOP FIGHTING BACK, PRETTY!" He roared, to which I simply rolled my eyes, sending a barrage of wind-blades at the annoyance. I was, of course, keeping an eye on the beast, prepared to react at a moment's notice, even if I was on a timer due to the damn cold now. I liked that outfit too, damnit)

The shredding blades ripped at the yeti's flesh, tearing strips off him as he howled with rage. The monster tried to interpose his arms to block the attacks like he had the flames, but the sharp edges bit into his hide as easily as it did his torso. Finally, I sent one last blade rocketing at his stomach while he covered his eyes, ripping his stomach open. The Yeti screamed, trying to pull his guts back in as he collapsed in the snow. Not exactly wanting it to die in agony, I sent a final strike, aimed to decapitate his head, taking it off and ending his suffering. A small wave of exhaustion passed over me, and I needed a minute to get my bearings, and then weave up a quick Rune spell to pull my shredded outfit back together. The damage was done and undone fast enough that the failing enchantments merely wove back into place, and I sighed in relief as the cold stopped bothering me.

"Aww, I liked the show." A voice sounded from a few meters up and behind me.

"Sorry, if it wasn't as cold as the pits of hell, I would gladly give you one." I said dryly, turning to face the voice.

"And that outfit helps you? Well, maybe a magus can just shrug it off." The woman floating on ethereal wings behind me was dressed for the weather, a fur-lined white leather jacket and bright red pants above sturdy boots. I recognized the feathers at her jaw line and on the back of her neck; combined with the subtle point of her ears and oval pupils, this would be an Air Prime Aspect; the equivalent of a Pegasus pony. This woman's feathers and hair were both a brilliant, vibrant blue, while her skin shone slightly with a tinge of light. She also had a pretty long spear slung under one arm, and a bulky rifle over her back between her wings.

"Enchantment." I deadpanned, "Pneuma, I'd say it's a pleasure, but I must be on my way. Many things to do, and little time to do it."

"Now, hold on." The levity was gone from the woman's voice. "I'm not accusing you of anything, but when someone just tries to flee from a guardswoman, it gives the wrong idea, Miss Pneuma." She arched one eyebrow. "So why don't you tell me, Cobalt Breeze, why an under-dressed, under-prepped overpowered magus is spying on my city? Alone?"

I snorted, Note infusing my voice, "I genuinely was not spying on your city. I simply have business in the area, entirely unrelated to your city. In fact, I only became aware of its existence today." My tone was musical, and conveyed my sincerity and annoyance at the interruption. It also, hopefully, rang true, given the fact that as far as I was aware, one could not overtly lie while using Note.

Cobalt's lips pressed into a thin line. "Well, on the one hand, that's a question answered. And now I've got eight more. So why don't we head on into town, I can get you some proper clothes, and in return, you can tell me what has you in such a rush." She paused, then tilted her head. "Or I can just follow along as you go, if you're not heading to town. Fair?"

"Hmm, I suppose you could follow me into an ancient changeling queen's vault that I am obliged to retrieve an item from, by virtue of geas, but if you die, it's not my fault, mkay?" I responded, a glint of amusement entering my eyes.

"...ancient what?!" Cobalt said, eyes bugging out. "What the hell's a changeling, and what are you talking about?"

"One of the original races, warped by time and circumstance, and the actions of a few insane members. Emotion consumers who feed or leach on positive emotions to stay sane and productive members of society. Also really great shapeshifters." I explained more gently, coming down from my irritation and amusement, "My family owes one of theirs an ancient favor, and I am repaying it."

"...wait, so the bug-tribe is real?" Cobalt said, running a hand through her hair. "So Dagger… huh." She shook her head. "Right. So, if you're here, then this… 'vault' is nearby. Where?"

"I'm currently teleporting towards inherited memories, but I do believe I'm fairly close. If you consent to a side-along teleportation, I'll happily spend the extra mana to carry us both." I replied patiently, simply standing there with my hands lazily hanging at my side.

"...teleporting too? What have I got myself into." She pulled in a breath. "Less boring than patrol. Alright, I'm in." She held out one hand. I grabbed it gently, and without a word, vanished along with her towards my destination.

Moments later, as we appeared outside the cavern containing the vault, Cobalt let go, staggering to one side. "Urp- it's like the morning after your third drink…" She squeezed out. I chuckled, my gaze sweeping towards the cleft in the walls which led to the caverns below; a gap in the stone which seemed to only lead a few feet, but I knew there was more to it. Stooping slightly, I moved a few feet in, then turned and scooted another foot to the side, into a larger chamber hidden behind a curtain of rock.

"Hey!" Behind me, Cobalt squeezed in, her wings dissolving into sparkles as she followed me. "So… a cave. Right, so where's the treasure?"

"Within a vault. We have yet to even reach it." I muttered, my hand pressed against the stone. I conjured a light and set out, following the tunnel, taking two rights as they came, then with a whisper of reverence, I muttered the passphrase; "Love and Gold go hand in hand." With a grinding sound, a segment of the walls retracted into itself, golden crystals casting a yellow glow over the chamber within, warmth seeping from the heated room.

Cobalt's eyes widened. "Whoa…"

I couldn't help but nod. Like Grogar's treasury, this Vault was laid out methodically, lacking the fantasy 'pile of gold'. Instead, elegant baskets made of black chitin lined several deep shelves, and a shallower one held a lattice containing bound scrolls. Several suits of black armor accented with yellow and pink lay upon racks, while an obsidian chest trimmed in gold sat along the back wall. The center of the chamber held a round stone engraved with hundreds of runes, containing the collected and stored magic and secrets of the long-dead Queen.

I ignored all of it, instead moving to the chest and roughly shoving it aside. Crouching, I hammered a fist at three points upon the floor, causing it to pop up and allowing me to lever it aside.

Within lay a dusky gray egg, the size of a football, flecked with pink and gold. Reverently, I checked the area surrounding it for magic, and after ensuring it was safe to remove, I pulled it out, hugging it to my breast.

"None shall harm you so long as I live, my adopted daughter, so I swear." I vowed softly, no magic binding me to it, yet still uttered with the fullest intent of following it, "Cobalt, I have what I came for. Barring the dais in the center of the room, you may take what you desire."

Cobalt wasn't paying a single heed to the treasures, her eyes locked on the object cradled in my arms. "...that's an egg." She looked up at me, eyes wide. "I thought you said she was ancient. Is the egg even-" she swallowed. "Alive?"

"Yes. Hawkmoth was said to be a conniving woman, but she was an adept magus, and I can sense the magic within this vault. She had the egg and most important items here in a very strong stasis spell. Changeling eggs also don't hatch until they're exposed to enough energy, and this one's been isolated with just a trickle, enough to keep it alive and no more." I replied, a wry smirk forming on my lips as I carefully opened the chest containing the stored energy crystals. I reached to scoop up the reserves and add the still active ones to my pouch before pausing, "Oh for the sweet love of Origin I didn't bring my pouch."

"That's what you're panicking about?" Cobalt muttered. "Look, I don't know what's going on anymore. How did you know about this? Why on earth would a Queen hide her egg in the middle of nowhere? Why did you come out here in your skivvies?" She paused. "You know what, none of that matters. What matters is that you're going to try to carry what amounts to an infant out of here, in the cold alone." She pursed her lips. "You are going to wait here. I am going to get you some gear, and then you're going to spend the night at my place while you explain everything." She paused. "Including whether or not this Hawkmoth's kingdom is under our feet, because if so, I'D REALLY LIKE TO KNOW." She turned and stomped out, pausing by the door. "Are you going to stay here?"

"I have no intention to subject the egg I declared to be my daughter to the cold, and I am unwilling to risk teleportation. I will await you here, Cobalt, so I swear." Magic was absent from my oath, though hopefully, the Pegasus could tell I was deadly serious.

"Good." She walked into the corridor, before hastily ducking back inside and yanking a small crystal from the walls. "Not going to go stumbling in the dark." She grumbled, taking off for the entrance to the caverns.

Huh...interesting, very different from the original Overgoat fic, seems a bit more serious and anthromorphic, pretty good so far.

Huh...interesting, very different from the original Overgoat fic, seems a bit more serious and anthromorphic, pretty good so far.
Being transgender makes you consider stuff a lot more, I'll say that. I'm also the type of girl who would absolutely just spend half her time researching a method to get one of her three ideal bodies so...

Edit: As for the new Changeling, I'll likely be honoring the Geas by giving her the Queenly Name of Emmeryn

Last edited:
So… how often will this story update? I'm just wondering because I really like how it has been going so far and would like to see more of it.

Chapter 4: I get Recruited by my first Minion
Several hours and a quick change of clothing later, I packed the egg into the 'warm-pack' Cobalt had helpfully brought with her, adding several warming crystals to keep the egg comfy. I put the remaining active crystals into one bag, the repository into a second, then topped off both bags with a mix of gold coins and jewelry. Cobalt's help deteriorated slightly as she set her spear aside, picking up one of the black-shafted, dark-bladed naginata on the back wall. "Huh, So I can keep this?" She asked, holding up the weapon. "It's a lot better than mine."

"Yes." I said, smiling the irony of it all, "That naginata belonged to an elite, so I'd expect it to be fairly high quality, and enchanted. I was serious when I said you could take what you desired; kindness deserves a reward, especially given how I treated you initially."

She snorted. "I've got enough gold to live off, nowhere to spend more, and I don't know anything about magic besides flight." She looked around, eyes passing over the scrolls and bauble-filled baskets. "I mean, maybe I could write someone to come take a look later, but I'm thinking the kid's going to deserve most of it."

"You are a better being that most are, truly." I said softly, nodding in a mix of gratitude and surprise, "Let us be off then. I shall seal the vault behind us, so none may gain from it till my new daughter comes of age."

"And now you're talking funny." She frowned as we strode out, looking at me oddly. "How old are you again?"

"Do you want my mental age or biological age?" I asked, smirking slightly, a grin on my face, full of mischief.

"Umm… both?" She frowned. "What the hell are you…"

"Biologically this body is two thousand nine hundred years old, and I inherited his memories when the idiot got his soul torn out by a vengeful Fae he was harvesting blood from, moron. I am chronologically and mentally twenty three, with the power, memories, and combat ability of a three hundred and fifty year old idiot with delusions of grandeur who, for the most part, could back up those delusions." I chirped, happy to get that off my chest, "No idea how my soul got caught up in all of this, but I'm fairly certain I died somehow while I was sleeping and uh, something shoved me in there."

"...we're gonna unpack all of that later. And maybe I will need some of that gold for booze." Cobalt muttered as we emerged into the open air. "Sun's starting to go down. We'll make it to Hope's Respite before nightfall."

"Ah yes, time zones; how I loathe thee." I muttered, my precious cargo bundled in my jacket, my enchantments keeping me nice and comfy, "I'll be in your care, Cobalt. Guide me well."

"What's a time zone?" She asked as you set off into the woods. That conversation led to others, as you slowly but surely expanded her wider view of the world. In return, she shared what she knew of the world.

"Well, it's been a long time since the Empire fell. There's no one left alive from those days; not even our elders' grandparents lived in that time." She explained when I asked about timelines. When I asked about Luna, I got another jaw drop. "So that old legend about the Mare in the Moon is real? That's wild." She looked up, and I followed her gaze to view the rising moon, with a familiar and shadowed figure emblazoned on it. "So she's real, huh? And trapped." The blue woman snorted. "Wonder what she thinks about the cults."

"I would assume her corrupted self is fine with it, pleased in fact." I said softly, my gaze locked onto the moon, "I imagine what remains of her original self rails against the corruption. It was her and her sister that defeated countless evils, after all…" Shaking my head in melancholy, I continued onward with my questions, "Your settlement descends from the Crystal Empire then?"

"Yeah, there's even a suit of armor on display in the town hall. One of the founders was an escapee from the capital." She replied. "And the cults aren't all evil…" She paused, looking up at the moon again. "Though neither of them are allowed in Equestria, sun or moon. There's a Diarchy church in town, actually."

I shook my head, "Worship of a being makes them stronger, more powerful. Regardless- actually, I may have to reassess my statement," I continued, eyes narrowed, "these cults, I take it most are benevolent?"

"No. I mean, the ones here are, but I've heard stories." She sniffed. "Burning folks to death to praise the sun or moonlight sacrifices to the moon, ugh. Wouldn't have any traction here. The folks who established the church here worship at Dawn and Dusk, to give thanks for the passage of time."

"Dammit all…" I muttered, putting aside the theory, "Damn idiot Demi-Goddesses, did they not account for the influence of their legend…" I shook my head, "Not now, they should be very aware of it, and I-" I froze, horror etched across my face, "Shit shit shit, I'll have to account for that…"

"Your old man?" At my look, Cobalt snorted. "Look, who were they, that you think you've replaced? I don't know anything about an ancient sorceress, so they couldn't have been that bad."

"That's because my soul twisted this body to suit it better, he was male, and had a name. Grogar." I replied, mind working as fast as it could. The comment had me freeze, before I sighed, turning to look at my companion with a resigned look.

Cobalt stumbled. "The Sorcerer of Tambelon? The Mad Necromancer? The Bell-Ringer? That Grogar?" At my nod, she whistled. "Well, fuck me running. Didn't he die? Did you inherit his stuff or something?"

"He lived, and was intendeding on regenerating his body with a ritual. A fae curse did him in, in the end." I said, a grimly satisfied look on my face, "As for his… stuff, yes. I have access to his personal pocket dimension, which is currently located a continent or two away. I'll be making my way back there at some point, if only to access his library. I have magic to experiment with, and a body to create, and a child to raise, both by geas and by choice."

"...okay." Cobalt shrugged. "So, what do you want to eat tonight?"

"It's a relief that the first person who knows the full truth is so nonchalant," I giggled, a true smile blossoming across my face, "And I don't mind cooking if you have a request. I'm fairly adept at-" my face fell, and my eyes burned, "At cuisine from my former home…"

"Well, then you can cook tonight." She ignored my slumped shoulders, giving me an elbow. "Your choice. I can help, but I'm no expert in the kitchen." She looked ahead. "Huh, there're the gates." She put a hand next to her hand next to her mouth. "Ho the gates! One and guest for the evening! You all closed up yet?"

"Cobalt, what're you doing out so late? You missed evening muster!" The man on the gate called down, motioning to the arch. "Ah, escorting a traveler? Is it the spice merchant?"

"Naw, it's one of those ruin hunters. She had some success, so she's got gold but no supplies." She waved one hand at the guard's look. "Don't try that gate toll horsecrap with me, Winter. She's my guest for the night."

"Alright then. Need me to pass a message to the captain?"

"I'll swing out and talk to her tonight." she replied as we walked through the wooden palisade and into a lane of mixed wood and stone structures. "See you tomorrow!"

I smiled at my companion, "So, a spice merchant frequents this fair city?" I asked, trying to make conversation as we walked.

"There's a lot of folks who come far looking for our crystals." Cobalt explained. "We trade it for spices, food, and other stuff we can't grow here." She pouted slightly. "We ran out of chocolate months ago, and the traders haven't made it back here yet."

"I see. I may have an offer for your city, then." I said, imagining what I could do with access to said crystals, and what these beings could do with access to food and spices reliably, a continent away, "It involves thinking with portals, but such a thing is hopefully within my ability."

Cobalt shook her head. "The abilities of an ancient necromancer bringing chocolate to the frozen north." She walked over to a narrow two-story building down a side street, slotting a key into the lock. "Well, come on in. Not much, but it's home."

The ground floor had an oddly modern looking range set in a mostly wooden kitchen, with a well-used table setup dominating the central space. Several chairs covered in thick fur sat along one wall, around a smaller table. Cobalt set her bag down next to the kitchen table, heading over to a metal chest set into the wall. With a smile, I set about my task, finding out where each ingredient lied and what I had to work with. If I could, I'd prepare an eastern dish; but if it proved impossible, I had various other options.

"Breaded Venison it is." I muttered, setting about my task, "I'll ask Cobalt if she wants me to use the trout as well, while it's fresh."

The bread was torn into crumbs, and I gathered various ingredients to make the breading, eggs and flour the most notable as I deftly breaded the meat, then the fish with what breading remained. With a frown, I prepared what little vegetables I had into a side dish, a salad of sorts, and busied myself setting up a barebones oil fryer with judicious use of magic and lard.

As I worked, I found my hands moving with a lot more grace than I expected, and started recalling the methods Grogar employed to add magic to his meals. I paused briefly to check exactly what it entailed, before nodding firmly, letting my new memories help. The breaded venison was tapped with water magic to guarantee it would stay tender and moist while being fried, and a minor use of rune magic added volume to the side dish, even as I finished getting the meat ready for frying.

Twenty minutes later, Cobalt sat with wide eyes as I laid out a plate of fried cutlets, a sizable salad, and a plate of seasoned fried potatoes, with a trout fritter starter. She blinked, dipping one fritter in the mayonnaise sauce I'd whipped out of the egg yolks, and took a bite. "Mhm." Her eyes widened. "MM!"

I watched as she tucked into her portion, flaky fish tearing and being swallowed at a rapid pace. Amused, I more sedately began to eat my portion, hiding a snicker as she continued to demolish her plate. "I take it this was a good choice?" I ask, barely concealed amusement hidden in my voice, my eyes sparkling in delight. Watching someone enjoy something you created was always a delight, whether fiction or food.

"Very." Cobalt swallowed. "This is really good! I saw you using magic, but I've never seen a magus use magic like this." She swallowed another bite, then started on the potatoes and meat. "Also, can you just conjure up food like that?" She motioned to the salad.

"Not without something to work with." I allowed, tracing Grogar's memories. "I really just used my magic to twist the inedibles bits into more edible stuff. Bones, head, stems, and the rest into more food."

She nodded. "Okay." She stopped eating long enough to look me in the eyes. "So, do we want to have this talk after eating, or what? I mean…" She trailed off. "I can buy that you're powerful, and you are a goat. So are you really Grogar? Cause I can't see it."

"Is there any specific way you want me to prove it?" I asked dryly, "Because unless you wanna live through some of his memories and mine, I'm not gonna have an easy time proving it. I suppose I could show you his treasury."

Cobalt's eyes literally gleamed- I supposed there had to be some side-effects to living in a cartoon world. "Now, that's a lovely thought…" She cooed. "And that's not whatI meant. I mean, you're not calling yourself Grogar, and you're not acting like him. Or at least, how the legends depict him." She glanced around. "Unless you have some really stealthy undead around."

"Oh! Yeah, I'm not Grogar. As I said, his soul got torn to bits by a Fae curse. My soul, ahem, got stuck there somehow, and thankfully forced the body into something that I wouldn't loathe." I began, "I don't even share his magical affinities, though I maintain his knowledge. My chains are gold, not black, as well."

"Chains?" She shook her head. "If you don't have the same affinities, you're not him. Those are determined by your soul. Even I know that." She popped another fry in her mouth. "So, you're not him. And yet you have all his knowledge, his treasury, and his lair." She dug a spoon into her veggie salad, taking a bite. "So, how long have you been at this?"

"Hmmm, I could give you an exact to second count in a few days, but honesty I woke up on a stone slab around thirty six hours ago." I mused aloud, hiding my amusement behind a poker-face. "It's been an eventful day, today."

"...two days, and you're already running off to loot the lairs of your old… enemies?" She paused. "Hang on, who was this Hawkmoth, anyway?"

"A Changeling Queen who worked for the old goat. Clever lady tried to get me in a geas, one that I accepted since her only clause is to 'raise her daughter into a proper queen'. Given that she probably thought she was speaking to Grogar, I'm going to laugh as I imagine her rolling in her grave." I giggled, not even hiding my amusement at the thought.

"Okay. So… you're raising the kid of one of his long-dead subordinates." She rolled her eyes. "And to do that, you rushed out in your skivvies without a weapon or any armor, into unknown territory, after having your new magic for a day." She groaned. "Okay, that's it. You need someone with common sense as your number two. Seeing as we don't have that, I'm appointing myself to the position."

Blinking, I nodded slowly, "It actually shouldn't happen again, it was my…" I struggled for a while, tears building in my eyes as I forced myself to move past a dream I could now accomplish, "Desire to be a mother that caused me to lose all my senses. I was barren in my other life, and my circumstances made adoption almost impossible. So…"

Cobalt stood up, walking around and drawing me into a hug. "Yeah, focus on the now. I still think you're daft, walking into motherhood with a geas around your neck, but at least with your wealth getting help won't be hard." She paused. "You do have wealth, right? Grogar wasn't some spendthrift, was he?"

"He actually wasn't really bad in either direction. Not a spendthrift nor a miser. He spent gold when he felt it accomplished his goals to do so, and accumulated wealth by conquest. I actually have a fair amount of priceless artifacts I need to sort through, some to return if the nations still exist, others to donate or sell to museums or private collectors." I replied, leaning into the hug as I dried my tears, forcing my thoughts away from all I had lost. I was dead in that world, and my partners and family would mourn me. Best to live well, like they would want me to.

"Huh. Can't help with that, though there's a few big names in Equestria who might be willing to look through your collection." She let me go, moving back around. "Although… Equestria. And Lady Celestia. Might not be the best idea."

"I've been avoiding going closer to Equestria than I need to for a reason," I said dryly, "even alone, Celestia could whip my ass, and probably would kill me if I don't explain my circumstances in time. No, I'm not really willing to risk that, even if I'd rather be in her good graces than not."

"You'll have to tell her eventually." Cobalt shrugged. "But that's fair." She resumed eating. "Finish up, and I'll handle the washing. I've got some things to take care of tomorrow if I'm going to be leaving with you." She paused. "You never actually said yes or no."

"That's actually intentional, Colbalt," I replied as I finished chewing, "If everything goes well with my offer to the city tomorrow, I may be able to swing getting you a job officially." I continued, laying out the vague plan I had hatched while in the cave, sorting through the objects.

It was quite simple, really. A city this far to the north would greatly benefit from easily farmable land. I had a portal and settlement prepared in farmable land, where I intended to start forming a city-state over time. It was a mutually beneficial agreement, and one that benefited the city more than I. But… a good deed goes a long way, especially if I could unite the remains of the Crystal Empire under one banner.

After hashing out the bare bones of my plan, Cobalt tapped her chin. "While having a link to greener pastures might be a good idea, I don't think the elders will agree without significant proof. Also, from the sound of things, you just have a single building in a foriegn forest- the Howling Woods, at that." She waved her hand skeptically. "Not saying it won't work, just saying a little groundwork might be necessary first."

I nodded, "I'll have a demonstration set up later, though I won't be able to do that in one day. Are you okay remaining here until I can clean up the site in the Howling Woods a bit tomorrow and reference my library? I do intend to take you up on your offer either way, but I'm unsure if you want to remain somewhat attached to this city."

She snorted at the last line. "Of course I'm gonna be 'attached'; my family and friends are here." She stood up, moving to sit by the fireplace, which at this point was mostly coals. Stirring the ashes, she stuffed a few twigs over them, letting them catch alight. "I do want to see your inherited hideout; I believe you, but that little nagging voice is telling me to see it for myself."

"If you can secure time off tomorrow, I'll happily take you with me." I offered, smiling, "I know what it's like to doubt."

She shrugged. "I've got a good reputation here, and we're not strapped for guards. Most of the local wind-walkers are in the patrols or hunting parties. I can take a day if I need it. Especially if I say it's for 'caravan escort.'" She started slightly. "Hey, I never called in the corpse of that yeti. Do you think you could help me haul it back here? The meat's good for trading with the dwarves, and the fur is pretty prized." She motioned to the white fur covering her comfy chairs.

I nodded, "Cold should have preserved it, want to go get it now?"

"If we can do it safely. And quickly; night's falling." Cobalt looked outside. "Can you teleport twice with what you have left in your tank?"

"Only just. We'll have to be quick." I replied, getting ready to teleport, molding my mana in preparation.

With a flash, the two of us appeared a few yards from the monster's corpse. The moon above shone down through the falling snow, and the corpse lay untouched where it had fallen.

Cobalt looked up nervously. "Wait- the sun is still setting, what happened…" Her voice trailed off as she looked up the cliff face. Turning, I looked up to see what she saw.

Twice my height, the massive snowy owl peered down at us, a near-unnatural crest of feathers peaking at its brow. The massive creature inspected the two of us, before giving an ear-deafening hoot, its takeoff sending snow flying in all directions, blinding us.

When my vision cleared, the moon was gone, leaving only falling snow and the setting sun framing the scene before us. The corpse was gone, and in its place was a pile of massive white feathers.

"...shite." Cobalt swallowed. "Lady Ardell accepted our offering, as inadvertent as it was."

I blinked owlishly, "Huh, the local deity is an owl, didn't expect that." I mused, "Wanna teleport back now?"

She looked back at me, blinking. "Not until we gather her gifts!" She shrieked, motioning to the feathers. "People pay good money for these, and that's not counting what's supposed to be possible with them."

"Ooh, reagents! Divine reagents even! These will be good for RESEARCH!" I giggled, collecting them all the while, making sure to check carefully for any other gifts on the ground. I wouldn't get an opportunity like this anytime soon, after all. Other than the feathers, there didn't seem to be much of note; the long primaries left behind had a strong feeling of Ice within, while a single black 'crest' feather seemed to have a different magic. The downy inner feathers didn't seem to have much magic, but even holding one made me feel like I'd been wrapped in a thin layer of down.

"Got them all, back home for now?" I asked, smiling with real joy, already mentally preparing for all the different experiments I could conduct on each feather, non-invasive ones to begin with.

"Yeah, we should." She glanced at the black feather. "That one… be careful. The Voice of a God isn't something to be trifled with.

Taking another look at the feather, I gave a sniff. Crown magic. If Note was focused on being understood, Crown was focused on being obeyed. Projection, force, and control; all that dealt with the voice as opposed to the heart behind it came through Crown. Those who used both were the most skilled orators, but Crown… Crown was direct and obvious.

"I see. It'll be kept secure. This isn't something I want to mess with quite yet." I responded with a heavy voice, lightly warding it was the best I could in the field. "Be not afraid, huh…" I whispered as I grabbed Cobalt's hand, teleporting us home.

Woo! Always glad to see this continue, the world building so far is sublime.

*snickers in Overgoat* This was a fun chapter to write. Then again, all of it is.

Huh, starting to slow down and get hit with the weight of the situation now huh? Poor Goat girl :( Still, a daughter awaits!! And research, public works and other such fun, at least you won't be bored.

Back