Brainstorming an Urban Fantasy Refugee Crisis

Lubaf

Cat in a washing machine in space?
(I've previously posted most of this here. I'm posting it here as well, since I'm also interested in SV's input.)

TL;DR version: A bunch of random characters from various Urban Fantasy settings (to be clear: most of the Refugees are not PC-types, but rather rank-and-file guys) are thrown into an otherwise mundane Earth, in such a way that (A) no Masquerade is possible, and (B) complete containment by the mundane side is also impossible (at least without at least a little help from the Refugees).

In detail:

So, in an otherwise mundane Earth circa present-day-ish, small rifts and portals start opening (whether all across the world or in just one city depends on suggestion; it could go either way) in public places (several during (inter)nationally televised sporting events). Out of these portals emerge various creatures. Or rather, collapse. In a comatose state.

The vast majority can pass for human. But the majority, upon close inspection, are nothing of the sort.

They come from dozens of different worlds, many with a Masquerade, but enough of them are from worlds without one that the local Authorities can pretty quickly figure out what's going on: these are people from another world, usually a close relative of Earth, with Supernatural Beings in them.

The Authorities can confirm that none of the non-humans existed in the world before the portals opened--too many of them fail body-heat tests (enough to be clearly not human when viewed in infrared), and the remainder are easily checked for by other simple means. And the Refugees can confirm (once they're trusted enough to test) that none of the beings they know about exist in this world, except as Refugees--as far as they can tell, all Natives of this Earth are baseline. A minor complication: almost all of them claim to have no memory of how they got here--and a few of them claim to have supernatural means to verify that fact, and the additional fact that none of them are here voluntarily (although quite a few are eager to start new lives--several supernatural communities are apparently quite abusive). (The few who claim to know are either pretty clearly either lying or guessing.)

Some assumptions I'll be making, that I'm willing to be talked out of:
  • There are, to start with, about a thousand Refugees (or 10,000, if we're going Worldwide at the start) from between a dozen and a hundred worlds.
  • Any given world has at least six or seven Refugees.
  • We'll assume that the vast majority of Refugees can claim to be average, more or less law-abiding, citizens of their worlds, and of the remainder, there are more law-enforcers than actual criminals.
  • The vast majority speak the local language of where they arrived, or have some trick to fake it.
  • As is to be expected, several of them hate each others guts on general principle, but the majority are willing to at least "let that slide for now", on the theory that the Authorities don't know either side from Adam, and, if the other side reverts to typical behavior, they won't have to do anything at all to turn the local authorities against the hated [whatever].
  • None of the worlds have had contact before this happened.
  • None of the Refugees were dropped off in any danger (vampires were dropped off at night, etc.)
Two further complications: while the portals have slowed down, they haven't stopped. And some of the more troublesome Refugees have already escaped custody.

As to power level and restrictions: Three questions: (1) Can they be effectively countered by a SWAT team, National Guard Tank, or National Guard Fighter Jet, assuming they are properly briefed and equipped with quickly modified versions of off-the-shelf equipment? (2) Does the world they come from resemble ours enough that they can easily understand the idea of a cell phone (and that such is an entirely mundane artifact), and at least obey on the level of mass transit etiquette? and (3) Can they speak with the Natives where they arrived? If "yes" to all three, valid character concept. That includes low-end intelligent dragons, aliens, elves and dwarves, giants, vampires, wizards, whatever you feel like.

For reference, Ebberon is probably a bridge too far for #2 (too much magitek).

Some thoughts on the metaphysics people are obviously going to ask about:

As to overall magic: My first idea is that the Refugees are carrying a little bit (a Spark, if you will) of their world with them wherever they go. They can expand this Spark to cover a Native to "convert" them (teach them their method of Magic, or turn them into a vampire, or what-have-you), but such things are frequently much, much harder than they should be. Other then this Spark, any kind of Magic doesn't work. Any enchantments fade rapidly away from the people who made them--unless the enchantment is powered by somebody from the same System.

Thus, the low end powers all work, and old power gathering methods usually mostly work (if frequently at a lower efficiency), but there's a LOT of "static" and interference. So nobody is too powerful at first, and communication back home is probably going to be impossible (but there are still people who try). But I'm open to that being changed.

Something like Spirits from the various Other-Worlds exist in the New World, but they are both non-sophant (i.e., at the start, they don't speak any language, and lack even the concept of one), and are blissfully unaware of the human world. Shamen and WoD-style Werewolves are (unless they were carrying some of their own) starting from page one, but so are the Spirits.

Souls? For our purposes, powers based on observing Souls usually work, but anything that tries to touch them may or may not work; reliability sometimes varies from Native to Native (with some Natives having a Soul under one System of magic, and being utterly Soulless under another), and others vary in reliability from day to day (a few seemingly hourly), with neither apparent rhyme nor reason for what causes it. (Refugee-to-Refugee Soul power usage has similar issues, with an added variable that can, in some cases, make things more reliable.) In other words, "results are wildly inconsistent".

Some questions:
  • Is this better with one city, or as a worldwide phenomena?
  • Should monsters that are completely hostile to humanity be included among the Refugees? I can see arguments both ways.
  • How hostile is "too hostile"?
  • Should Superhero types be included among the Refugees (to keep things sane, we'll be limiting things in power level to at best "X-Men third string")?
  • How weird is "too weird"?
For the hostility questions, my own natural inclination is to go "dangerous, but none that would be shoot on sight... so far as we know". Vampires, yes, but none of the ones who are found among the Refugees (and there are at least seven distinct kinds of vampire found among them) are innately Evil in a way that makes working with them completely impossible--usually, some combination of both less dangerous dietary requirements (blood bags or living animals will do, depending on the vampire) and a sufficient degree of rationality to be counted on to at least more or less stick to a deal while they think they're being watched mixed with sufficient survival instinct to want to cut such a deal.

What happens next? Is there anything that should be expanded upon? Feel free to contradict what's above, so long as you stick to the basic TL;DR version.

Thanks
Luc "Weird Ideas" French

Sounds like the comic book series Fables, where fictional characters from
Fantasy worlds turn to New York and get their own " Fable Town" section.

Except their public does not know that truth, here they do apparently.

As for powers and such should depend on what exactly said being is.

Because in Fables our military stuff over took their magic by far ( As the good guys beat bad guys, thanks to bullets and finding means to have non magic air travel.)

It was partly exasperation with The Masquerade as a trope that led to the idea of murdering it before it can even begin. Part of what I'm interested in is the politics of such a crises, both for the Natives and for the Refugees.

Just to be clear: There are entities in some of the worlds that can't be countered by modern technology... I just want such to not be a threat, at least in the first few waves; maybe in the future.

Thanks
Luc "Politics" French

On your questions, it mostly depends on what kind of story you want to tell. If you're trying to make an emotional drama sort of thing, take my advice, do not use Darkseid. Then again, you could be going for a more action-horror angle, in which the beastmen from Bloodborne and their superpowered rabies would fit well.

Same goes for general location. Personally, I'd try to stick most of them in one place cause I like character interaction, but that's just me. If you can tell an interesting story with the characters simply reacting/interacting with their enviroment then feel free.

There is no such thing as "too weird." Unless its SoD-breaking or something.

Question: do you have any particular characters in mind or is this a thing where we submit our own?

Question: do you have any particular characters in mind or is this a thing where we submit our own?

As it is, my only few ideas were "a Sereph and Djinn from In Nomine, a wizard from Dresden Files, and an Elf from some setting without a Masquerade, all with the serial numbers filed off"; I'm still thinking at the governmental and group level; my thoughts were more of the nature of "what happens next?". What is the logical reaction from a more or less realpolitik view to this crisis?

Thanks
Luc "Unrealpolitik" French

If they're smart? Not pissing off or harming the representative from another world. You never want to start a war with an unknown factor. You do not rise to any sort of high-ranking political position without knowing that.

They'll also be keeping as much... shall we say, "incendiary" information from reaching the public as possible. Like the fact that an actual religous icon (the seraph, if the folks in charge are convinced of this) actually fell out of the sky. Cause Lord knows someone will take that info and go do something stupid with it. Sure, there'll be wild assumptions even if it's not said, but it'll be infinitely worse if they go all out and say it.

They could play up the "other world" angle and have the visitors as aliens (technically true). Get them to play along with it if possible, though that runs into the problem of the wizard being virtually 4ndistinguishable from a human, medically. Then, wizardry would be the least inflammatory thing they could expose...

Hi!
Hope this help:
1 Precedents: (aka. "How comes somebody already made it?")
There was a movie (later tv series) called "alíen nation", the long and the short is: an alíen cargoship gets stranded in modern day vainilla earth an turns out the cargo were a race of slave aliens, since the whole first contact was pretty public and then guys came in actual good faith the earth's various goverments treated as a bunch of refugees and handed green cards like they're gonna out of style, the plot was like 20 or so years after that, with a whole generation of " native aliens" as it where. The plot touched here and there about xenophobia and cultural shock, but on the whole they keep it positive (the 90's were weiiiird)
What gives? For one, the tensión of the story was about fitting vs. keeping true and the whole culture shock, since the characters keep back and forth trying to understand wath is a person beyond the race and culture... Well species and culture...
Another one:"He-man" the 80's movie were He-man and some of historia buddy get dropped out of eternia in the lap of a happless fellow and must go back (yeah, thats like the whole plot) so they put the local in fast track to hero 101 go round town for shite and giggles and lastly fight skeletor in some back alley because of... Reasons? Well, the point is that is a usefull device: drop your foreigners in little clusters (themed or mixed your call) give them a somewhat Common goal and stick a local chum and voila, anything from action-oriented to road trip us posible....

Lastly: You sort of picked it:" X-Men" mostly the classic ones, were everybody and their granma knows about the mutants, know about their waky powers and at the very least get freaked out by them; worth pointing out is that those histories were more about "humanity" than superheroics, ie. They were "Different people are STILL people you hatass!" in the face of hate-groups (small wonder that their biggest and more lastly villains were supremacists of one stripe or another) So you can play it as it is: your foreigners are the new mutants sometimes feared sometimes not, always on their own...more or less...
Hope this help... At least to clean some bad ideas!

Back