Happy to see another update of this. And yeah, even with contact with other groups of people that are much more advanced, the technological jumps this dude's giving them is definitely going to have a lot of questions asked. On the other hand, he is the shaman and can play a reasonably convincing seer at times it seems. So he just needs to use those to make something believable that doesn't raise expectations too high, because something will absolutely go wrong at some point.

Good luck buddy. :V

Happy to see another update of this. And yeah, even with contact with other groups of people that are much more advanced, the technological jumps this dude's giving them is definitely going to have a lot of questions asked. On the other hand, he is the shaman and can play a reasonably convincing seer at times it seems. So he just needs to use those to make something believable that doesn't raise expectations too high, because something will absolutely go wrong at some point.

Good luck buddy. :V
The thing about technology is that when you have it, others want it. Even when it's just pottery, people have gone to war for less. Peace is not a very realistic expectation to have for the tribe's future.:rofl:

Why not both? Bigger tents covered in mud and rocks so they are better isolated.
Bigger tents would require more hides, and that would take a some time process. They would also have to demolish the previous wooden structures of the tents for expansion. It would be more time efficient to build new mud huts.

Last edited:
Thank you for the updoot!
I found the latest installment a fun read, there is so much he can do to help uplift them and housing is definitely a big one!

Even when it's just pottery, people have gone to war for less. Peace is not a very realistic expectation to have for the tribe's future.:rofl:

There are some real dangerous low tech weapons, I remember reading somewhere some tribes used giant thorns as caltrops.
Then there is the Atlatl a great tool for hunting.

Excited to find out what the MC comes up with next :cool:

The thing about technology is that when you have it, others want it. Even when it's just pottery, people have gone to war for less. Peace is not a very realistic expectation to have for the tribe's future.:rofl:
Ah, ceramics. The lifeblood of Archaeology. We've gotten pretty good at learning things about past societies by looking at their ceramics actually. They're especially useful for learning about people's diets, since we often find trace amounts of organic matter when we dig them up. Fun fact, did you know that the oldest discovered ceramics are from the Jomon civilization on the main Island of Japan? If I'm remembering correctly, they lived in Japan circa 15,000 to 300 BC, and had a trade network that stretched across the entire island chain? (Yes, I have written a paper on this, thank you for noticing!) Here's the Wikipedia page if you're interested.

Anyway, on a topic more relevant to the actual story, what kind of ceramics do our Cat tribe friends have? Are they plain? Do they have decorative flourishes? What sorts of pigments do they use, if any?

Ah, ceramics. The lifeblood of Archaeology. We've gotten pretty good at learning things about past societies by looking at their ceramics actually. They're especially useful for learning about people's diets, since we often find trace amounts of organic matter when we dig them up. Fun fact, did you know that the oldest discovered ceramics are from the Jomon civilization on the main Island of Japan? If I'm remembering correctly, they lived in Japan circa 15,000 to 300 BC, and had a trade network that stretched across the entire island chain? (Yes, I have written a paper on this, thank you for noticing!) Here's the Wikipedia page if you're interested.

Anyway, on a topic more relevant to the actual story, what kind of ceramics do our Cat tribe friends have? Are they plain? Do they have decorative flourishes? What sorts of pigments do they use, if any?
I actually did not know that. That's really interesting. I think it's amazing how archeologists can construct an image of a civilization's lifestyle using these little details.

Our Cat tribe currently has no pottery. They use gourds mutated by the planets energy to transport water and tightly knitted baskets for everrything else. But pottery is definitely on the agenda. The first glaze they're going to use is ash since other minerals are temporarily out of reach. I guess for pigments they could use sunflowers and grass. The seeds of sun flowers could be used to produce a dark purple pigment and the flower leafs themselves are a common yellow dye. There's a lot of flowers in the grasslands during spring and summer so they have a lot of options.

Thank you for the updoot!
I found the latest installment a fun read, there is so much he can do to help uplift them and housing is definitely a big one!

There are some real dangerous low tech weapons, I remember reading somewhere some tribes used giant thorns as caltrops.
Then there is the Atlatl a great tool for hunting.

Excited to find out what the MC comes up with next :cool:
I just searched up what an atlatl was and I am definitely going to incorporate that into the story. They're like speares, but much better! They're also a reasonable upgrade for the tribe's hunters, who currently use speares.

Last edited:
Back