Awakening (Palladium/TBA AU) (Story Only)

Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Author's Note: Everything in this story is a work of fiction and is thus strictly untrue.
AN...

asgard

Unverified Human Being
Somewhere in between Easter Island and Tasmania
Author's Note: Everything in this story is a work of fiction and is thus strictly untrue.
AN: This was just one idea that I couldn't get rid of from my head.
Disclaimer: All Palladium and Mass Effect ideas and references belong to their creators respectively.

Synopsis:

On the 15th of August 1993, the 7th Armored Calvary disappeared during its debut in Operation Desert Storm. No one knew what had happened to the missing regiment ... no one that is ... until now.

DATE : 21/12/2012
TIME : 5:00 P.M.

The atmosphere at the Goddard Space Flight Centre was always subdued but busy. There, astronomers poured over the data that they received from the orbiting Hubble Telescope, the only man-made telescope that looked into deep space in orbit around the Earth. Its range and accuracy was better than any other telescope on Earth due to lack of interference from the Earth's atmosphere and other moving objects around the Earth.

"John, how's Betty and the kids doing?" Dave asked, pouring some coffee from a nearby flask without turning to the man sitting next to him.

"Doing great. I'm taking them out for the weekend later. What are your plans for the weekend?" John replied, after taking a sip of coffee from the cup beside him.

"Nothing too much. Jane and me would probably go for a quiet night out together." Dave answered his friend and colleague.

"The movies?" John asked again.

"Most probably. I heard there's this new sequel to District 9 coming out," Dave raised the cup to his lips.

"Still working on trying to prove that alien thing?" John asked.

"And we're right in the midst of it. That's what I love about my job," Dave replied.

"Me too. You two plan on getting married yet?" John asked.

"Yes ... possibly at the of this year if Jane agrees," Dave answered.

"Big or small wedding?" John queried.

Dave was about to answer when someone beat him to it.

"Guys ... Take a look at this. What do you think this is?" A voice called out from the end of the room.

Both men stood up from their seats.

It was Carla Winters, the new intern at the Goddard Space Flight Centre.

"I'm passing the HT feed to your screens," she added.

The two men quickly turned to their monitors.

"A meteor? Whatever it is, it appears to be moving very quickly," Dave commented.

"Where is it heading?" John asked.

"According to my calculations, it appears to be on a heading straight for Earth," the new intern typed furiously on her terminal.

Dave and John quickly rechecked the calculations. There was no mistake about it. In three hours, that fast moving object would reach the Earth.

Maggie who happened to be nearby, quickly grabbed the phone.

<>

TIME : 7:45 P.M.

"So the Pentagon is asking for more funding into space flight? Now is not a good time. This country has been running on IOUs for a long time. We should be reducing unnecessary expenditure not increase it. The government will go bankrupt in no time," the President stated.

"I would hardly call funding for the manned mission to Mars program unnecessary, Mr. President. The EC, Chinese and Russians are already pouring more money into their space programs to launch a manned mission to Mars. They're all convinced that the rock formation on Mars that was seen through the telescope was not natural. They believe that Mars is going to be the place where they can prove that extra-terrestial intelligence exists and with that the chance of recovering and studying alien technology," the Secretary of State pressed.

"Both the Republican-controlled Senate and Congress is voting for more funding for the space program," another of his aides added.

"We need more funding for social programs for the American people not spending more money on trying to prove that ETs exist. And even if we do prove that ETs exist, the bottomline is ... is it worth spending 120 billion USDs on doing so?" the President asked.

A man in black suit walked up to the President.

"Mr. President, you have a call. It's General Douglas of the Joint-Chief-Of Staffs. He says its urgent," his personal assistant spoke.

The American President took the phone his hand.

"Barrack here. What's happening, general?" the President asked.

"Sir ... we have a situation. About five minutes ago, we received a call from the Goddard Space Flight Centre. Two objects, both spaced evenly apart at a distance of 2 kilometres are headed for Earth. NASA has confirmed it. The first object is 1.25 kilometres in length while the second is 1.8 kilometres in length," the General explained.

"Asteroids?" the President wanted to know.

"Meteors. We first caught sight of them in between Saturn and Uranus. They have just emerged from the asteroid belt. Based on the speed they are moving, they will reach the Earth in approximately eighty-three minutes give or take one minute. We will continue to update you on the situation Mr. President," came the reply.

"Do you know where the meteors are going to hit?" the President asked.

"Right now ... we're still not completely sure as to which place it will hit but we're ninety-eight percent sure it will hit the Northern hemisphere," the general answered.

"What are our options?" The President asked.

"Our missile interceptors have been prepared just in case the meteors breached the Earth's atmosphere," the general answered.

"I will keep you informed, Mr. President. Douglas out," the General appeared to be speaking to someone else in the background before hanging up.

<>

TIME : 8:45 P.M.

"It's all over the news. The people are getting anxious. What do we tell them?" the State Secretary asked.

Outside the White House, photographers and newspaper journalists could be seen waiting with their cameras ready.

"We'll just hold a press conference and tell them there's nothing to worry about," the Secretary of Defense answered.

"Sir, there has been a new development. Both objects have slowed down and are now entering Earth's orbit," the man at the console announced.

President Barrack Obama involuntarily raised an eyebrow at that statement.

"They are now maintaining geosynchronous orbit over the Earth. I think they're not natural, Sir. We're also receiving a transmission from deep space. Audio only."

The President, having years of practice in politics, easily maintained his composure.

"Answer it," he said.

The captain gave the microphone to the President.

"This is President Barrack Obama of the United States of America. To whom am I speaking with?" the President asked.

"This is Colonel Arthur Savage of the 7th Armored Calvary requesting permission to enter," came the unexpected reply from the other end.

There was silence for a few seconds as the words sank into everyone's mind.

"Give me a few minutes to decide," the President answered.

"Colonel Arthur Savage of the 7th Armored Calvary? Who is he?" the President asked the people around him with his hand covering the receiver of the microphone.

None of the men in the room seemed to have any idea but they quickly burst into action checking all the records of their servicemen.

"Checking computer records ... oh yes ... there is a Colonel Arthur Savage. Joined the military in 1982. Led the 7th Armored Calvary in Operation Desert Storm on the 15th of August 1993. Went missing with his entire regiment without a trace though as to how that happened remains a mystery. Officially listed as 'MIA' and 'Deceased' in the records with the entire 7th Armored Calvary though no bodies were ever found," General Henderson answered.

"Mr. President, can I speak with him?" requested the Secretary of Defense.
President Barrack Obama handed him the microphone.

"Can you prove who you say you are?" the Secretary of Defense asked.

"What do you wish to know?" came the reply.

"Where did you live?"

"I have lived in many places."

"Tell me where your second home was in the US and the name of your second child."

"My second home was in Olympia, Washington State and I don't have a second child though I do have a daughter by the name of Rachel who is left-handed and should be about twenty-six at this time," came the reply.

The Secretary of Defense simply nodded his head to the others in the room indicating that the speaker had spoken the truth.

"One last thing ... can we have a look at you in person?"

"Very well. I'll be there shortly," the speaker answered.

There was a bright flash of light and a man that was long thought to be dead and who looked like the bastard child of Robocop appeared in front of them, startling everyone in the room. He took three steps, with the solid sound of metal from each step hitting the ground distinctly heard, towards the President just as everyone in the room bar the President started to draw their weapons.

The President shook his head, signaling everyone to stand down. The heavily-armoured man came to a stop in front of him and raised his hand in a salute before putting it down.

"We have come a long way, sir, and the one thing we want at the moment is to go home," the man in futuristic-looking metallic armour explained.

"Welcome home, Colonel," the President answered breaking the uneasy silence in the air before offering his hand to the supposedly dead soldier.

"Thank you, Sir," the man answered, taking the handshake.

"You must have quite a story to tell," the President smiled.

"Yes we do," the man agreed.

Everyone in the control room cheered as the tension broke.

<>

"We were taken alive by an alien race known throughout the galaxy as the Dakir to serve as servants and slave soldiers in their military. But there was one thing we never forgot and that kept us going. Our families, homes and friends. After three hundred years of serving the Dakir in countless wars, we were finally able to break free of their control."

Last edited:
Back