Await the Dawn [Worm/Exalted]

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

The last remnants of Creation guard the Black Vault, keeping the things that destroyed it locked away from the world. But when the world is dying a slow death anyway, can releasing the Exalted host really make it any worse?

It's a desperate, foolish gamble. But perhaps the Chosen can win redemption in this fallen world, and deliver it from destruction once more.

Worm/Exalted with far more than one Exalt.

Tekomandor

Social Justice Gish
Pronouns
She/Her
Await the Dawn

Even in the age of parahumans and mass surveillance, there were hidden places. Buried deep beneath the earth, or beneath the guise of a long-lived family. They clung to the last wells of power, the final echoes of a long-forgotten age. Each generation slipped further into history, further into legend.

What purpose guided them, what grand task they had been set, had long since been lost. All the remained was their role - jailers, of something so terrible that even the end of all things could not truly destroy it. Some said they guarded all the demons of the world, and others said all the gods. Some said that they jailed the end of all things because it alone could not end.

None could claim to know for sure what resided with the Black Vault. These last dregs of a more glorious age saw the coming of parahumans and welcomed them at first. They, at last, had a disguise they could wear without weakening themselves. Then, as monsters and terrors appeared by the hundredfold, they grew wary once more.

When it became clear that the world could not withstand the three great demons, the Endbringers, a council was called. It took some time for all the grandmothers, those who carried the strongest blood of the dragons, to agree to a site. A neutral city, one that hosted only a well-respected family of scholars and poets.

When Behemoth turned the city of Kuala Lumpur into a burning, radioactive hellscape they knew that it was not safe to gather their council in the ordinary world. In the world of Parahumans and Endbringers.

So they made the journey to the subject of their debate, one by one. Their powers, weakened as they were by the fallen world they lived in, were more than enough to see them safely to the hidden cave mouth. There, on the side of a mountain maps called Mt Everest, they descended into a hidden place.

The guardians, who had kept the secret of its exact location and defences for so many years, led the council deep into the mountain. They led them through the secret ways, past the traps and defences they had spent millennia building. Ancient mechanisms and bound spirits mixed with plastic explosives and tinkertech devices. No army, no parahuman host, could hope to breach such defences swiftly enough to prevent the guardians from enacting their last defence and burying the Black Vault beneath a collapsed mountain.

There, in the vast chamber lined with two dozen hydrogen bombs stolen during the collapse of the Chinese government after the chaos of the late twentieth century, the council debated. At first, only a single voice called for action, and all others denounced them. But she was a great woman, a warrior and a healer in equal measure.

She argued for a week, and then another joined her. They argued for another week, and soon there were five against twenty-five. It was a slow, grinding thing - as each doubter fell to implacable reason, the world decayed. The Simurgh, the one they feared most of all, attacked Canberra as the last holdouts argued.

Then, at last, they were in agreement. They could not defeat the forces arrayed against them, not in this fallen world, not with their blood so thin after so many millennia. They had failed the task set to them, and none living could take it up. Every diviner agreed, in the end, that the Endbringers would drive the world to ruin. That no mortal being, no matter how powerful, could truly defeat them.

It took months still to unravel the wards and sigils surrounding the Vault. To understand the key. But understand it they did, and so on the tenth of April, two thousand and eleven, all but one of the council left the chamber. All of the guardians left with them, their vigil at an end.

The woman who had first proposed this course was the only one who remained. She stood facing the great vault of black stone, a knife in her hand. She had known the price of opening the Black Vault - the willing lifeblood of one of its jailers. She hesitated for but a moment before hers sprayed across the smooth surface of the vault.

Thirty seconds later, the world was shocked to see multiple simultaneous nuclear detonations from within Mt Everest. A girl in the ruins of Shanghai screamed as her fate burnt away, replaced by a power beyond it. She was the first, though none would ever know it.

Forty-five seconds later, a man took a ragged stance, his hands up and ready. His daughter was behind him, her eyes wide with terror. He wiped the blood from his chin and hoped his legs would last him just a little longer. He was broken and bloodied, but not beaten.

Before the men threatening him could move in to finish him off with bats and knives, his forehead glowed a brilliant gold.

Sixty seconds later, a dead girl - dying, perhaps - rose from her deathbed. Black smoke surrounded her, and she screamed her lust for vengeance as she ripped the thing that had killed her brother limb from limb.

One and a half minutes later, Taylor Hebert stood facing one of the most powerful living parahumans with nothing more than a few, slightly charred, bugs. Lung towered over her, his metallic skin and claws giving credence to his name. Her legs shook with pain, her hands trembled with fear, but she did not stand aside. She gathered what few insects she had left, and faced him. The pepper spray had been her last trick.

All she could do now was buy those kids a little time.

Golden light exploded out from her, and from what remained of her swarm. She was lifted into the air, her forehead burning with the mark of her caste. Lung stared at her for just a moment too long, and he fell to the ground with a sickening thump as a dog even larger than he was slammed into him. Another two followed them, both with riders.

Then, with a ripple like a gunshot, a blonde-haired girl's eyes on the back of one of the dogs went wide. Her mind wondered with furtive speed, and her power matched it. She reached out as if to say something, and then she was nearly thrown back off of the dog as her forehead burned a brilliant gold too.

Taylor collapsed to the ground and found that the exhaustion had left her behind. She felt the power coursing through her and stood despite her injuries. The costumed people on their dogs left, shouting concern for the golden-haired girl amongst them. Her eyes were wrenched shut, but golden light spilled forth through her eyelids.

Then they were gone, and Taylor was alone.

I sank back down against the roof, looking at my own hands like they were some bizarre marvel. I... I had no way to understand what had just happened. Why I suddenly felt less like I was on the brink of total collapse and more like I could run a half marathon, take all my exams, and still have energy to spare.

Who had those kids on the dogs been? I hadn't recognised them, but they'd been wearing costumes. Were they the kids Lung had been talking about? They looked my age - teenagers, sure, but not quite what I was expecting. Well, most of them. The guy in the motorcycle helmet was tall and muscular enough that he could be anywhere from sixteen to forty, but I thought he was probably around the same age as his friends.

They weren't Wards - I'd done enough research on them to know the costumes of Brockton bay's junior heroes by sight. They definitely weren't New Wave and with those two possibilities eliminated, I was basically out of teenaged heroes.

Had I just fought a giant fire breathing dragon-man to save a bunch of villains? I mean, they weren't Empire Eighty-Eight, so they probably didn't deserve to get killed by Lung, but still...

Then there was whatever surge of energy had run through me. What was still burning in my veins and my apparently still glowing forehead? Had the villains had something to do with it? The blonde girl in the purple bodysuit had started to glow gold too... but they had been concerned and just as confused as I was.

I felt for that strange new power within me. It wasn't like my bugs. It wasn't a constant presence in my mind, but more like a deep well. I stood, and I realised quite suddenly that my balance had somehow gotten much better. I hadn't exactly been uncoordinated, but... now I felt light on my feet and solid at the same time. I walked to the edge of the roof, and felt just how quiet my steps were.

I wanted to leap down to make sure Lung wasn't going to get up. It was an insane desire, I thought. Just the call of the void, like the urge to jump into traffic or punch an annoying person in the face. For a start, I'd break my legs. Then there was the problem of me being all out of bugs and without a weapon of any sort. If Lung wanted to get up, there wasn't anything I could do about it.

I jumped off the roof and laned on a tiny drainage pipe, running down its steep slope like it was a gentle incline. I laughed at the absurdity of it, and backflipped off it to land in a gentle crouch. That was a little more than increased balance. I mean, a minor movement power (as cool as super parkour was) wasn't exactly what I'd have matched to the golden lightshow, but...

But the well within me was just as full as it had been when I'd started. I could feel, somehow, that it would regenerate over time - and that the power was meant to be used. Had that been some kind of passive effect?

Lung was still knocked out, about twenty feet away from me, and that snapped me back to reality. My bugs seemed to have hurt him more than I'd thought - those dogs had been big, but to knock someone like Lung out in one blow? He must have been more out of it than I'd thought. That was mildly terrifying because that meant that the unstoppable monster I'd been running from was Lung with a whole bunch of venom in him. It was a weakened, slowed Lung.

I needed a weapon or more bugs. I reached out with my 'original' power (and how weird was that to even think) but there weren't any more useful bugs around than there had been during the fight. I felt something, though. A new sensation, like finding the power socket in the dark. I pushed some of the burning well within me towards it, and I felt my range expand.

Judging from what I could see through the new bugs, it had at least doubled. When I called everything with a stinger, venom, or even just painful bites towards me, they were easier to coordinate. It took less effort, less focus - and they moved with the lethal, almost algorithmic efficiency that I could manage when I focused on controlling only a few bugs.

It wasn't going to be enough, though, and I could feel that keeping this up was going to burn through my well too quickly. I let the enhancement fade as the new bugs crossed into my original radius of control, and felt for something else. I'd wanted a weapon when I faced Lung - at least a baton or a taser or something.

I held out my hand and pushed some of my well into it. Golden motes of light swirled around it, and I had the sensation of an extendable baton in my mind. But... why settle for that? I'd wanted a baton or a taser because they were nonlethal weapons I could actually buy - but I was facing down a giant supervillain I'd pumped full of enough venom to kill a dozen normal men and who had apparently fought fucking Leviathan.
The golden motes of light whirled around my hand, and I fixed something in my memory. I couldn't make a battleship cannon or anything, but I instinctively knew I could make any weapon that I alone could carry and use. Any personal weapon was a broad term in this day and age, and I thought back to a TV special I'd seen a few years ago about a certain local hero.

The motes of golden light collapsed, and I grinned as I clutched a glowing golden replica of Armsmaster's Halberd. It was a few years out of date I thought, and I had no idea how to operate any of the special functions, but if Lung got up I'd be far better armed. All the same, though, I kept my fingers far away from any of the buttons or switches. I didn't want to activate the plasma gun or find out I'd pressed the self destruct button by accident.

I held the halberd out in front of me. I'd thought I'd known nothing about how to fight with a weapon like this, but I made a few practice swings and realised I did. I wasn't an instant expert, but I seemed to have picked up the basics along with my fancy new glowing forehead. I felt a similar sort of power-switch-in-the-dark sensation when I did that - a general enhancement power, maybe? Just activating that for a few minutes had cost as much as making my fancy new halberd, and I knew instinctively that would last for hours if I needed it to.

All the same, I kept it in mind. If Lung woke up, or if any more ABB came to reinforce their leader...

I heard the sound of a motorcycle approaching, and instinctively I called what remained of my swarm to me. They buzzed and skittered around me, blocking out the night sky and forming a menacing backdrop. My forehead still glowed gold, even through my mask, and my weapon gave off yet more light. I held it above Lung, ready to strike in an instant, just as a man rounded the corner and stepped into the alley.

He wore dark blue body armour with silver highlights and carried a weapon very much like the one I had in my hands. I could see his neatly trimmed beard and his iconic motorbike behind him.

"You... are not an Undersider," Armsmaster said. He sounded as confused as I felt. What the fuck was an Undersider? Was it some kind of villain group? It sounded like a bad guy team name.

"I don't think so? I don't know what that is," I said because I figured that telling the truth was probably less likely to end badly. And because I was way too confused to make something up.

"You're telling the truth. Unexpected. Is that a copy of my halberd?" he asked, his tone almost conversational. I could see him relax after my answer, despite the fact that an unconscious Lung was still between us.

"Um, yeah. Sorry. I can make it go away if you want," I said, relaxing in turn. Now that the real (and up to date) thing was here, I didn't exactly need a copy.
"Interesting. You defeated Lung?" he asked, addressing for the first time the dragon in the alley.

"Mostly. I think," I said because it was true. The final blow might have come from the dogs, but I'd probably done at least half the work. That, and I'd taken almost all the risk.

"Remarkable, for someone new to the scene. Would you be willing to come with me back to PRT headquarters and give a statement? Your... assistance with securing Lung would be appreciated, as well as information on what exactly you did to him," Armsmaster said, and I blinked. Brockton Bay's premiere hero (at least as far as fighting went) was asking me for help?

"Sure," I said because I had no idea what was going on and really hoped someone would be able to tell me. Also, if I helped Armsmaster out he might teach me how to use all the cool extra functions on his halberd.

AN: So, there have been quite a few Worm/Exalted fics written, but they mostly seem to just use one Exalt. I had a thought, though - what if the setup was like that in Exalted vs World of Darkness, with a bunch of Dragonblooded families, the last remnants of Creation, deciding that bringing the Exalted back probably couldn't make things any worse?

So that's the premise of this fic. Instead of one Exalt in Worm, it's hundreds running on Exalted Vs WoD style Exaltation criteria. Much of the Exalted host - hundreds of Solars, Lunars, and Sidreals has been unleashed on the world. And maybe a few other things that were once Solars tagged along in the Black Vault.

"Is that a functional copy of my halberd?" Armsmaster asked, cocking his head slightly.

"I... I don't know. I haven't tried pressing any of the buttons in case one of them is the self destruct or the plasma vents," I replied.

"Logical. Press the trigger just inside the handguard," he said, and I did so. Golden plasma engulfed the head of my copy, and I let go of the trigger with a yelp. "It is functional, then,"

"Did you have to test that with the plasma vents?" I asked.

"No," he said, and I thought I saw a wry little smile on his face. Was that a joke? In decades of press appearances, interviews, and one abortive vlog, Armsmaster had never joked.

"So, um, what now?" I said, shrugging my shoulders nervously. I was leaning on my golden halberd copy, my swarm hidden out of view.

"It will be a few minutes before a van big enough to carry him arrives. How did you disable him?"

"I had a whole bunch of insects bite him. Like, um, really venomous ones. I - I only got this power just before it ended. I've been a cape - well, a parahuman for a while, you know. Getting ready. Um, anyway so when I got these new powers both of us were distracted, and these kids in costumes riding giant dogs came in. One of the dogs knocked Lung off the roof, and I guess he'd been weakened enough by the venom that he got knocked out," I babbled.

"A second trigger? Your original powers, what were they?"

"Just the bug control. I can make that stronger with my new powers, too," I said.

"That is... highly unusual," Armsmaster said, staring at my forehead.

"Well, what's weirder is that one of the kids on the dogs - um, blonde hair, teenager, purple bodysuit - started glowing just after I did. Golden light all around her, glowy forehead..." I rambled.

"One of the Undersiders as well?" he asked himself more than me.

"Wait, the people on the dogs, those were the Undersiders? They're a villain group?" I asked.

"Yes. While we have reason to believe that they're dangerous, most are known to be minors, and as a team, they have avoided serious injury to heroes or bystanders. While I would have preferred to apprehend them as well, I am glad they were not seriously harmed by Lung. He is a much larger threat to the city," Armsmaster said, and I felt a swell of pride. He knelt down next to Lung and injected him with something as he spoke. "Tinkertech sedative. There may be some damage, but given his regeneration, it will be neither fatal nor permanent," he explained.

Sure, maybe I had saved a group of teenaged supervillains by accident. I'd also helped to capture one of Brockton bay's most notorious - and most evil - villains. It took something to reach that status in a city with the worst Nazi infestation in America, but personally running one of the most brutal human trafficking rings this side of New York qualified.

I knew girls who had just... disappeared one day. Girls who had gone to Winslow, sure. Poor girls, with shitty homes and no one to miss them. I didn't like to think about what was happening to Sue from my ninth-grade math class.

The point was, Lung was a real scumbag and I, Taylor Hebert, had just helped capture him. I had done something - made an actual improvement to the world. Even if I got hit by a car tomorrow, something I'd done would have mattered.

"Have you considered the Wards program?" Armsmaster asked, almost conversationally.

"I, um, I thought about it. I wasn't sure I would get in, and I didn't want to deal with teenage drama outside of school as well," I said. Fuck did I sound dumb saying that to Armsmaster.

"The Wards accept all teenage parahumans, regardless of powerset. Very few of them could have achieved something like this. I - I am not an expert in social environments, but the majority of the Wards do get along,"

"Not all of them, though,"

"No. But you strike me as smart enough to know that would never happen in any group. I believe that your circumstances will make you uniquely suited towards the program, however," Armsmaster said, and I noticed his voice grow a little more serious.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Your power over insects is strong, let alone this secondary power. You will be a prime target of recruitment efforts by criminal organisations and possibly foreign governments," Armsmaster said, his voice cold and serious.

"Recruitment efforts?" I asked, but I knew the answer.

"They may attempt to kidnap you or to capture you. They may target your family if you are still unaffiliated and believe they could get away with it," Armsmaster said, and my blood went cold. Had I put my Dad in danger? If he got hurt or worse because of me...

"But if I'm so powerful, why would they not do that if I became a Ward?" I asked.

"Interference with Wards is... strongly discouraged. Any attempt to even uncover your civilian identity would be a felony, and anything more would incite an overwhelming response. The PRT is stretched thin across the country, but resources would be allocated as needed to crush the offending group," Armsmaster said, and I nodded. I didn't want to be a Ward - to have to deal with being ordered around and spending time with other superpowered kids... but I'd do a lot worse to stop my Dad from getting hurt. What Armsmaster said made sense - basically, it was a polite way of saying that the Protectorate (and the government in general) would have my back if I became a Ward.

There were other sources of protection, of course. Other groups that were strong enough to stop anyone from going after my family. I wasn't the right skin colour for the ABB, and I had just captured their leader. I was too afraid of drugs - illegal or not - to be a Merchant. I knew how rapidly I'd embrace anything that dulled the pain. I was the right skin colour and the wrong sexuality for the Empire but I would sooner blow my own brains out than join a pack of fucking Nazis.

So, regardless of what else I might like or dislike about them, the Wards were my only real option. Everyone else was just too small-time if I really could copy tinkertech just by watching a TV special about it. Even if I'd have to tell my Dad about being a parahuman.

"I - I understand. I'd need my dad - I mean, my parent's permission, right?" I asked.

"You would, but if your home environment is unsafe -"

"No, it's not that," I said quickly, and Armsmaster nodded.

"I do believe that you would gain many positive experiences with the Wards program. I could, for example, show you what the rest of the buttons on my halberd do. I'm sure Kid Win would assist you with his own weapons. That is just within the local branch. We can also provide you with training, certification, and support you would be unable to access as an independent hero. You built your costume yourself?" Armsmaster asked, and I blinked a little at the nonsequitur.

"Yeah. Um, it's mostly made from spider silk," I explained.

"We could, for example, provide you with facilities to make more of them - and the Protectorate alone would happily buy as many as you could produce. That would be in addition to your wages and trust fund as a Ward," he said, and I smiled. That... that might actually be really helpful. My Dad didn't like to talk about it, but I knew his job wasn't covering enough of the ills without Mum's income.

Before we could talk any further, a large armoured van pulled up to the mouth of the alley. Troopers in the dark armour of the PRT, carrying bulky assault rifles with underslung containment foam sprayers, burst out of the back of the van. One with an armband that identified him as a medic, rushed forward. They started to load Lung into the back of the van, whilst the other trooper spread out and kept watch.

"Do you have a name yet?" Armsmaster asked me.

"I, um, no. All the good bug ones are either taken or way too evil," I said.

"Hmm. I wouldn't know what that's like - I started early enough for most of the good weapon-related names to still be available. Think about it, but if you become a Ward our PR department can assist you if you're still unsure," Armsmaster said. He tapped something on his vambrace, and his bike started to drive without him - probably heading back to the local PRT headquarters.

I followed him and the troopers into the back of the large armoured van. Lung was strapped to the floor with steel restraints, and the medic had several vials of what I assumed to be sedatives ready. The needles looked odd - they were probably made for punching through superhumanly tough skin, I thought.

My halberd copy had faded by the time we arrived at the PRT headquarters. It was huge, imposing building that had none of the sci-fi grace of the Protectorate headquarters out in the bay. It seemed to be made mostly out of white-painted concrete, bulletproof glass, and metal bars. More troopers and medics met us outside, and I saw several heroes overseeing the transfer.

Once Lung was safely inside, Armsmaster turned to me.

"Are you ready to give your statement?" he asked, and I nodded.

I basically repeated what I'd told Armsmaster to a lawyer - a prosecutor, I think - who thanked me for my help and assured me that Lung would be heading to the Birdcage. I felt a little uneasy at that - as much as Lung was an awful person, the whole no-right-of-appeal and no-removals thing made me uncomfortable.

It was just how I was raised, I thought. My parents were both politically active and decently radical - my Dad was a senior union figure and my mother had been a lifelong feminist activist, even after she stopped being quite so extreme.

Armsmaster gave me a card with a number to call tomorrow to arrange a pickup and dropped me off in roughly the right part of the city on his motorbike after that. I got changed out of my costume after he'd driven away and started to walk towards home.

The whole night seemed like a nightmare turned dream, but I'd felt too much pain for it to be either. I'd had all sorts of fantasies about my first night out as a cape - everything from finding out that Emma was secretly a villain and stinging her a dozen times with my nastiest bugs to taking down an Empire cape - but taking down Lung?

I'd never expected anything like it. Never dreamed anything like it. Now I had new powers, too. Powers that might put me in danger, but had already been amazing. I could leap and run like I was in a Hong Kong action movie, make myself a copy of any personal weapon on the planet, and could make myself simply better at a whole bunch of stuff. It was, in a word, awesome - and I knew that I had barely scratched the surface.

This new power could grow. I wasn't sure why I was certain of that, I just... was. I knew I could get more powerful, unlock new abilities - and that I hadn't even discovered all the ones I already had. I was going to be a hero. I was going to make a real difference to my city. I might even be able to help my Dad if the spider silk bodysuits thing came through.

Nothing Emma or her two cronies could do to me would take that away. Hell, if I became a Ward... didn't they all go to Arcadia? I could transfer out of the hellhole I currently attended. Armsmaster had seemed really eager to get me on board, so I was sure I could get them to do that. Maybe not right away - it might be suspicious - but soon.

As I turned a corner, a few blocks away from my house, someone stepped out of a shadowy alleyway. I tensed, calling my swarm to me and holding out my hand to summon another copy of Armsmaster's halberd when I noticed who it was.

She wore a purple and black bodysuit, with a black domino mask. Her dark blonde hair was down, and I felt a chill run down my spine when I noticed the sleek pistol holstered at her waist. She was the girl who'd glowed like me, the one on the dog. An Undersider - a villain, in other words.

"Woah, hey. I'm not interested in hurting you, Bug Girl. Seeing as how you saved my life, I'd like to say thanks before you go and become a cop. That, and seeing as how you went all glowy just before me, I think we have a few things to talk about, no?" she asked, and I lowered my hand.

"Sure," I said. I knew my suit would probably protect me against a nine-millimetre pistol like the one the girl had - I'd done my research about spider silk and common firearm rounds - and I was sure she didn't have anything as deadly as my halberd copy. If it came down to a fight, I thought I had a decent chance.

That, and I really wanted to hear what she had to say.

I wonder how the established government resistance to parahuman rule will match up against the new pressures from the baby exalted host, and a possibke resurgence of the dragonblooded conspiracy.

And also the street level canon is obviously ruined. I'm hype.

This is pretty great. Some definite shades of Exalted vs WOD in the first chapter, which certainly isn't a bad thing, and having both Taylor and Lisa exalt...well, that's interesting. Though I'm not entirely sure what prompted Lisa's exaltation? I mean, Taylor's defiant last stand against Lung is pretty classic exaltation fodder, but Lisa's not really doing much beyond maybe telling Bitch "Now" which seems like it wouldn't be enough. Unless using her power to analyze the exaltation in front of her counts as reaching some sort of enlightenment?

Either way a very interesting start. Curious to see if what Lisa's going for here - if she's a social focused exalt, she's going to be pretty damn convincing, but I'm unsure how far she'd be willing to push things in this sort of situation.

Regardless, I imagine that the Bay's going to see a lot of power shifts in the next few weeks, especially if more exalts show up. Short of Coil exalting, he's probably fucked; even if Lisa isn't combat focused, she's probably going to interfere with his precog, which is likely to cause him problems even if she doesn't just murder him the next time he tries to interrogate her in a throwaway timeline.

In any case, please continue.

Really interesting so far. A full set of Celestials running wild is a great premise. Interesting that Exalt capes are keeping their original powers. Most of these types of stories go for one or the other. God only knows what sort of data those shards are getting.

Solar Tattletale? That's definitely new. Her whole thing screams Sidereal, particularly Secrets. Wonder how she qualified.

We walked deeper into the alleyway, and the girl in the purple bodysuit leaned against a brick wall. She was illuminated only by the distant light of a hazy orange streetlight, she smiled as I settled in the shadows opposite of her.

"I feel kind of bad calling you Bug Girl. Do you have a - no, no name yet. Not a lot of non-evil sounding Bug themed ones left?" she asked, and I blinked in confusion. "That's my power. Basically superhuman Sherlock Holmes stuff. I usually go by Tattertale, but you can call me Lisa," she said, taking off her black domino mask, and I stiffened. Was she trying to get me to reveal my real name?

"Already know your name, Bug Girl. How'd you think I knew to wait for you here?" she asked and I sighed.

"Then you can call me Taylor, I guess. What did you want to talk about?" I asked.

"Well, a few things. I was serious about that thank you, by the way," she said, handing over a lunchbox. I couldn't see the design in the dark, but when I took it it was rather heavy.

"I'm not gonna take stolen money," I said, although from the weight of it there was a lot of stolen money in there.

"Well, I could give it back to the ABB if you like..." Lisa said, reaching out with her hands towards the lunchbox.

"I think I'll keep it, actually," I said, flushing a little.

"So, Taylor, I'll be honest. I need your help," Lisa said, and I blinked in confusion.

"You need my help? Aren't you an all-knowing evil Sherlock Holmes type?" I asked.

"Well, I wouldn't say evil. But my boss is - well, he likes to make offers you can't refuse if you get my meaning. He wants me to get you under his control after you took out Lung," Lisa said, and I had to stop my swarm from flying towards me.

"How - how does he know?" I asked.

"I didn't tell him if that's what you're thinking. He has... connections, I think, deep within the PRT. Not the Protectorate, but definitely someone high up on the PRT side," Lisa said, and I felt like I'd just been punched in the gut. Had I made a mistake going with Armsmaster? "And I imagine Armsmaster gave you a speech about how people might hurt your family to try and get you on-side? He's not wrong, Taylor. But the thing is, I don't really want to be in his employ either... and you saved every one I gave a shit about yesterday. So you wanna hear my plan?" Lisa asked.

"Can't hurt," I said.

"Oh, it can. But the basics are simple. I used a little bit of my new glowy bullshit to convince him to take a soft-sell approach, so he's gonna have the Undersides go the Robin Hood route just for you. He'll have you work with us, once we're independent heroes and not villains, and I'm supposed to lure you to the independent life once some shit happens," Lisa said.

"I mean, if your boss is a bad as all that, what does having a team of heroes secretly working for him get him?" I asked her.

"We mostly rob gang-related targets anyway - so I imagine he'll just keep steering us against those targets. Not that I mind that, to be honest - the money's nice, but if all I wanted was to get rich I'd be playing the stock market, not robbing people. So, look, what I need from you is for you to just... be yourself, and agree to work with us when they ask you to. And keep this secret, obviously. When the time comes for the Undersiders to, ah, really go independent, I might need more help. You in?" Lisa asked although I was sure she already knew the answer. She could be manipulating me, working some crazy plan... but she sounded like she was basically telling the truth. Maybe trusting that was dumb of me, but she and her friends had attacked Lung when they could have run and left me to be burnt to a crisp.

Plus, she was really pretty. Fuck, she could tell I was thinking that, couldn't she. This was embarrassing, and that thought was probably making it worse.

"I guess, yeah I'm in. But if you start doing some messed up stuff or something..." I said, and Lisa nodded.

"You know, before shit went crazy and something started handing out extra powers, I was planning on asking you to join anyway? If dealing with all that PRT rules and regulations ever gets to you, Taylor, the offer's open. And if you ever need to just... talk, there's a bit of paper with a number written on it in there. Well, two numbers. The top one's for personal calls, the other's an emergency burner. Buy yourself a prepaid flip-phone with some of the money, though," Lisa said, and I smiled a little.

What did it say about me that the most positive social interaction I'd had for years was with a supervillain?

"I - sure, Lisa," I said, and she hugged me. It was bizarre, and I almost tried to twist out of it and hit her, but I just leaned into it. Fuck, I was tired. I still had the too-much-caffeine energy of whatever was in my 'well', but it was an active struggle to not just nod off right then and there.

"Good luck, Taylor. Tell me if you figure out what the fuck this is, 'cause I've got no idea," Lisa said, gesturing to her forehead. I laughed, and she let go.

She slipped her domino mask back on as I walked out of the alleyway, and from there it was only a few short blocks to my house. I didn't even bother with sneaking in the way I'd left - I just silently leapt up to my window, opened it, kicked off my shoes, and crawled into bed.

I woke up to the harsh beeping of my alarm clock. My eyes snapped open, and I nearly flipped out of bed, sheets and all. After calming down a little, I pushed the alarm clock and was glad not to have the harsh electric beeping in my ear anymore. I'd chosen the most annoying one possible after my old one had broken last year because sometimes even getting out of bed on a school day was hard.

Today might be even worse. I had the little card from Armsmaster in my pocket, with the number I needed to call to arrange a pickup. When I called it, that'd be it - I'd have told my dad about being a cape, I'd be on the way to become a Ward. If Lisa's plan worked, I might have another option in the future, but it sounded like it'd take a while to be one. I'd be committed to being a government junior superhero for months at least.

But I'd endured Winslow for years. If anything really bad went on with the Wards, I knew I'd have options. There was a whole bunch of legal supervision and safeguards that went into the program, even in a city like Brockton Bay. That, and if I got sent to Arcadia, at least I'd be free of the Trio - whatever new problems I had.

I was still wearing the clothes I'd gone out in last night, and a quick sniff said that I definitely needed a shower and a change. Fuck, I was probably going to have to wash my costume. Was spider silk machine washable? From what my research said, and how well it had held up to heat and water in my testing, it probably was.

That was good. Especially since I was planning to sell them - I mean, nobody wants to buy a costume that might regularly be covered in blood or dust or other stuff that you have to hand wash.

But musings about washing costumes was just a delaying tactic. I had a lot of those, ways to keep myself too busy to do what I didn't want to do. Ways to avoid things, ways to not face them.

I walked downstairs to see my dad sitting at the kitchen table, bleary-eyed and hunched over a cup of coffee. He looked up at me, not saying anything as I sat down across from him.

"Hey, Dad..." I began and immediately felt like an idiot. Who begins a life-changing conversation with an awkward 'hey'?

"Hey, kiddo. Late-night?" he asked, a little awkwardly.

"Kind of. Um, there's something I need to tell you," I said, and I hated how he stiffened. How he got ready to hear another awful thing in the sad fucking tale of Taylor Hebert. Not that my news was entirely good, but... "I - I'm a cape. I have powers," I continued. I held out my hand, and the few butterflies I'd been able to find flew towards me out of their hiding places.

"You - you have butterfly powers?" he asked, confused.

"No, um, I can control insects. I figured butterflies were just nicer to look at and - and there's some other stuff I need to tell you," I said.

"Did you... did you get them from the locker?" he asked, and I nodded. He tried not to look angry. My Dad had a temper - a nasty one, sometimes, if you were sitting across from him on a negotiating table or crossing a picket line. But he never even raised his voice to me. Not once.

"Yeah. Well, it's sort of complicated. I, um, I went out last night," I said.

"Taylor, you know it's not safe out at night - you could have been hurt," he said, which sounded faintly absurd after everything that had happened.

"I made my costume out of spider silk, so it's basically bulletproof, and I had a whole bunch of bugs with me - wasps and spiders and stuff - and the pepper spray you gave me. I was only gonna have my bugs stop stuff from a block away, but..." I said, panicking slightly.

"But what, Taylor?" he asked, his shock softening into concern. It was a tone I was all too familiar with.

"But I heard them say they were going to kill kids!" I said. It was true, and I didn't regret what had happened, but I hoped nobody would tell my dad the kids in question had been a pack of teenage supervillains.

"Jesus. I'm still mad that you snuck out like that, kiddo, but... did you manage to stop them? And who were they, anyway?"

"I, um, I did. They were ABB, and it was really scary and a lot of things happened but then Armsmaster turned up and we talked. I had to go give a statement and -"

"Taylor, you don't have to go with cops to give a statement. You're a minor, so if you have to go with them they need to contact me and you need a lawyer," he said, and I nodded.

"I know, Dad. But he also asked me to come with them so Lung didn't escape, and I'd already fought him so I didn't want it to - ah," I said, my tongue running in front of my brain. Shit.

"Lung? You fought Lung?"

"Well, I mostly just stung him a bunch, and I guess he was really weak from all the venom so when these kids on giant dogs turned up he got knocked off a roof and knocked out. Um, then I got weird new powers and that's when Armsmaster turned up," I explained, my voice rapid and uncertain.

"It sounds like you did something good, Taylor, but you can't put yourself in danger like that. I - I can't lose you too," Dad said, and it was like a slap across the face. It was more emotional honesty from him than I'd had in years.

"I know, Dad. Going out on my own was reckless, but I just wanted to... to have some control again," I said, letting the lie fall away.

"I understand that Taylor, I really do. But even if you want to be a cape - if that's really what you want - there are options. The Wards -"

"Um, I talked with Armsmaster about that. I - I didn't want to join them before, and I still have some reservations... but he made a lot of good points. And they get paid - not a lot, but there's a trust fund too, and he said that they might want to buy some of my spider silk costumes and it sounded like it might be for a decent amount of money, so..."

"I - I've got stuff covered around here, kiddo. You don't need to do something you don't want to do just for the money," he said, awkwardly.

"I know you do, Dad," I lied. "But there were other reasons too. So, um, he gave me this card with a number on it to call to arrange a pickup so I was thinking we could go in today?" I asked, holding out the otherwise unadorned card.

"Yeah, yeah we can do that. That's - that's good," Dad said, and I sighed in relief. It could have gone better, but it wasn't what I'd been dreading. It was one of those tearing off a bandaid type things.

"Um, so I'm going to go have a shower first?" I said, getting up from the table. Dad, looking a little out of it, went back to his coffee.

I was fairly certain he noticed my yelp of surprise when I realised what was under my dirty clothes was definitely not what it had been yesterday morning, but he was polite enough not to mention it. I stuck to my usual neutral coloured, baggy clothes and worn-out jeans anyway, because dealing with my sudden bizarre airbrushing was a problem for future me. Today's Taylor had enough to deal with.

This is nostalgic. There was a big fad for worm exalted crossovers and we're hitting the main points. There's still the greater crossover to establish distinction.

I'm enjoying it. The fix stuff is sweet.

"Taylor? I think you should come and listen to this," my Dad said as I walked back downstairs after my shower.

"What is it?" I asked, wishing my fancy new glowy bullshit included a hair drying power. I loved my hair - or at least, liked it more than any other part of my appearance, but it did take a while to dry.

"Casualties in nearby regions have been extensive as a result of avalanches triggered by the blast. Experts suggest that most of the radioactive fallout was contained within the mountain..." the newscaster on the TV said, as images of what looked like a collapsed mountain played. Most of the rock looked like it was still there, but instead of a peak it now had a large crater filled with rubble.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Someone blew up Mount Everest, I think," my Dad said. Who the fuck would want to blow up Mount Everest? At least without issuing a ransom demand or something like that - there were a few tinker villains who might have done that. They did always tend towards the theatrical.

"The CUI has confirmed that weapons used in the blast match the radiological signatures of the so-called "Missing 24". These nuclear weapons disappeared during the Chinese Parahuman War and were never accounted for afterwards. Governments worldwide spent decades searching for them, but it seems that they ended up close to home,"

"Someone blew up Everest with nuclear bombs?" I asked, and the twenty-four-hour news channel showed a graphic demonstrating how the explosion may have happened.

"Crazy, huh? At least whoever did steal them didn't use them to blow up a city or anything," Dad said, and I nodded numbly. The casualties might have been relatively light, but that was relatively light when talking about two dozen nuclear bombs going off.

"Yeah..." I said softly. It took an effort to wrench my gaze away from the tv and head for the phone. I called the number on the card Armsmaster had given me and waited.

"Who informed you of this number?" a harsh male voice said.

"Arms-Armsmaster," I said, hoping I hadn't done something wrong.

"Vocal sample confirmed. Please state your address," the man on the other side said. I gave it to him, and there was a moment of silence. "Pickup will be in one hour. Please have your costume with you in a bag, if you already possess one," he continued.

"Sure. Um, what sort of car will it be?" I asked.

"Taxi," he said gruffly and gave me the license plate number, which I wrote down on a piece of paper. Then the call ended, and I put the phone back.

"Dad? They'll be here in an hour to pick us up. The car should look like a taxi with this licence plate number," I said, pointing to the bit of paper.

"Always wondered how they got the kids around without being noticed," Dad said, and I smiled slightly.

"I'm gonna go upstairs and use Mu - use the laptop for a bit, okay?" I asked, and Dad nodded. I had nearly slipped up, there.

The laptop was old and battered, the top was covered in stains from peeled-off stickers, and we only had internet because you had to get it with cable. But for what I had in mind, it would be alright.

I waited for it to power on and idly had the butterflies I'd shown Dad do a complicated series of aerial acrobatics. My new power had been able to enhance my old one, I'd thought... but had that actually been it? It wasn't like I struggled to control bugs - they were either in my range and under my control or out of it and not.

I had noticed my range and ability for very fine control grow, since the locker, and that was what my new power had given me. Was it less then improving my power and more improving me? I wish someone had a decent theory about what powers actually were. I'd spent ages looking at the library and online, after the locker, but nobody seemed to be able to agree.

And absolutely nobody just gained a second set of completely unrelated powers. The only thing I'd heard of that was anything like that was the Butcher - the extremely creepy villain whose powers and madness passed on to anyone who killed them. I hadn't started hearing voices or anything, and I was fairly certain none of the many Butchers had ever shown anything like golden light powers.

Also, I would have known for sure if I'd killed anybody since the only way I could do that short of prolonged strangling was having my insects do it... at least prior to last night. Now I was fairly certain I could probably kill someone with a ballpoint pen. The thought brought new things to my mind - ways to use my 'well'.

I left them alone for now because the laptop had finally turned on. I preferred to use the computers at school or at the library, which said something pretty major about how old the laptop was, but I'd just have to make do.

The front page of Parahumans Online greeted me as my web browser finally finished loading. I was really thankful that the world's largest cape forum remained largely text-based because my house's shitty internet could actually load it in seconds instead of minutes. I'd had to install a browser add-on that made images load-on-click, but it was useable.

I navigated to the Brockton Bay subforum, which was always a weird feeling. On the one hand, I was glad that there was such a large source of info on my local cape scene. On the other hand, it was faintly horrifying that enough 'cool cape fights' happened in my city to warrant an entire subforum, instead of simply being one mega thread in a regional subforum like every other city its size in America.

The desire to look up news about myself was probably kind of narcissistic but on the other hand, I had just helped beat motherfucking Lung. I figured I was entitled to a little narcissism.

There was indeed a rumour thread about Lung being captured, and it seemed that an "unknown new hero" was supposed to have beaten him. No details, but that was probably a good thing for now. The PRT hadn't admitted to having him, at least to anyone but his public defender.

I noticed another thread, something about Purity and an attack, and I clicked it out of idle interest. She'd blown up a good chunk of the Bay by now over her long career, and was probably the most dangerous cape in the Empire's roster. Others were scarier - Victor, maybe, or Hookwolf but neither of them could just cut an apartment block down with a stray gesture.

There was a video, so I started to load it and looked around for the ten-dollar headphones I'd bought from some dodgy electronics shop. I plugged them in, remembered that the left one was broken, and decided it probably didn't matter. The blurry, low definition video (although as she inspected the quality button I realised that had more to do with my internet than anything else) seemed to be smartphone footage of an attack by Purity. Judging by the figures in red and green running away from her shining silver form, it was in ABB territory.

I'd almost clicked away from the video when it happened. A figure leapt out of a dark corner and raised something towards Purity. She brought her beam around, but it wasn't fast enough - and the rocket-propelled grenade had soared up into the air with admirable precision. There was some awful fascination to watching it, and I was staring at the screen as it hit Purity in the leg.

One half of her landed in a burning building, and bits of her lower half rained down across the screen. A huge column of black smoke, thick and smothering, rushed out of the building where her body had smashed into broken wood and metal. I felt like I was going to be sick. I... I didn't feel bad for her - she'd probably have killed me for being a degenerate if she could, but still...

It was a harsh reminder to me. Normal people were capable of killing most capes if they were arrogant. Purity should never have hovered out in the open like that - she was a hard target to hit with automatic gunfire when moving, let alone a big single-shot weapon.

I closed the laptop and went downstairs, after that, and spent the rest of the wait showing my Dad my costume and telling him how it would keep me safe. At least from guns and knives. Something like the RPG that got Purity - well, my defence there was not to be shot at with one. I certainly wouldn't just hover over a fight making myself a target, even if I could fly. That was why me telling my Dad I'd be safe wasn't a lie.

The car arrived exactly on time, with a woman in a shabby jacket sitting in the driver's seat. My Dad followed me out the door and I carried my backpack with my costume in it with me.

"Did you call this cab?" the woman asked.

"I did," I said, and she unlocked the doors. Then she pulled one of those leather ID holder things from around her neck and showed it to me - a PRT ID. Our driver was apparently a 'Specialist Anne Chu'. It had a picture of her in uniform and a few other bits of information.

"Good to see you, ma'am, sir. Get in the back there and we should have you safely to your appointment quickly," she said, her voice shifting seamlessly from 'gruff taxi driver' to 'calm professional'.

She got in, and apparently the radio was turned to a tactical frequency or something because I heard short updates that made little sense to me. I'd probably have to take classes on the phonetic alphabet or something. I'd probably have to take a lot of classes, but at least they'd be relevant to what I actually wanted to do as a job.

It only took about ten minutes of driving aggressive enough to make us look like an actual taxi to reach the PRT's Brockton Bay Headquarters. It was more properly PRT ENE Headquarters, but not even all of their own press statements called it that. Brockton Bay was one of the very few small cities in America to rate such a branch.

It's not great being an outed bi girl in the Nazi capital of America. At least Emma had never tried anything like setting some of the suspiciously skinhead looking kids at our school on me.
We drove into an old garage a block away, and I was surprised to see the shutters roll down behind us as we entered what was clearly a tunnel. We drove a bit further and parked in a relatively ordinary looking underground parking lot. A set of steel elevator doors were set into a concrete wall across from us.

"Please take these and follow me. The director and the others are waiting for you," Specialist Chu said, handing me and Dad lanyards with a big 'VISITOR' on them. I shrugged mine on and thought about the insects within my range. There were plenty around the PRT headquarters, of course, but I was surprised to find a fair number of them inside the building itself.

Maybe I shouldn't mention that to them. The big men and ladies with big guns might get the wrong idea.

The elevator needed a retinal scan from Specialist Chu, and for us to touch our visitor passes to a touchpad, before it would go up. Jaunty advertisements for everything from merchandise to the Wards program played over the tinny speakers in the elevator, and Specialist Chu looked a little embarrassed.

"The public and restricted elevators have the same ambient noise, ma'am," she said, after noticing my gaze.

"Does that get annoying?" I asked.

"A little," she said, giving the tiniest hint of a smile. "The conference room is just down the hall," she continued, as the elevator doors opened with a soft ding. The conference room she was talking about was indeed directly visible from the elevator, probably on purpose. The door was frosted glass, but it was set into a solid wall.

Specialist Chu opened the door, and I went inside with my Dad following behind me. She closed the door behind us, and I looked at the people sitting at the generic-looking conference table. At the centre of the left side sat an unhealthily pale, obese woman in a cheap suit with blonde hair and hard, cold eyes. To her left sat a younger woman - perhaps thirty - in a much more expensive looking skirt suit and fashionable glasses. Across from them, next to two pulled out chairs, sat a dark-skinned middle-aged man in a suit, his dark beard and hair streaked with grey.

"Welcome..." the blonde woman said, and my Dad spoke.

"I'm Daniel Hebert, and this is my daughter Taylor," he said, shifting easily into his negotiating mode. It struck me that maybe bringing him along was not a terrible burden after all.

"My name is Director Emily Piggot, head of PRT ENE. This is Assistant United States Attorney Kelly Gould. She'll work with your daughter, and with all of our Wards, if she needs to give evidence as her cape persona, and to address any legal issues regarding the collection of evidence and the like," she said in crisp, military tones as she pointed to the woman sitting beside her. I couldn't really get a read on her - I got the sense that she had her mask, and it damn well wasn't coming down for anything less than serious enemy fire.

"Pleasure to meet you," Dad said, and I nodded.

"I'm Eric Jacobs, and I'll be Taylor's Youth Guard representative if she joins the Wards program. Only the people in this room right now are legally required to know her real identity, but it's common to disclose it to other team members as a matter of team-building and practicality," Eric explained, his voice calm and measured.

"Firstly, I'd like to thank you for your actions last night, Miss Hebert. As... reckless as they were, you have helped us capture a hardened parahuman criminal. Armsmaster has been called away due to recent events, but he asked me to convey his personnel thanks," Piggot said, though some part of me thought she didn't exactly sound happy about it.

"Um, thank you... ma'am?" I said, hoping that was the right way to address her.

"You don't work for me yet, Miss Hebert. But I appreciate the politeness," Piggot said.

"I do want to assure you Mr Heber that Taylor will not be expected to engage in situations as dangerous as last night. Wards generally stick to safe patrol routes and respond to secondary situations - covering patrol routes if Protectorate capes are called away, responding to unpowered crime, that sort of thing," Eric said.

After that, it was a lot of explaining about things I'd already looked up - that I'd be paid a salary and given a yearly trust fund for college, that certain aspects of my cape persona were under my control and certain aspects were under PR's control, etc. As much as they were cops, the PRT and the Protectorate had embarked on a long campaign to paint themselves as LGBT friendly, which was probably true as far as large parahuman groups went. I started to pay attention when the subject of my spider silk came up.

"You'll likely be given a budget to purchase things like spider imports, and help with biosecurity controls, and we will pay you a standard fee for base bodysuits made from the material. I imagine the PRT will buy as many as you can make," Piggot said, and I nodded. Then she quoted a number, and I had to try not to smile madly.

That was... that was a lot of money.

Then they handed over the documents for us to sign.

"Well, kiddo, if this is what you want, I'm okay with it," Dad said.

"It is," I said, and if it was a lie it was one to protect him. Whatever bonuses or problems the Wards offered, it would keep my Dad safe from people like Lisa's boss or the ABB. Or, an uncomfortable thought struck me, the Empire.

I signed and hoped I could live with it.

Nice chapter. Things are looking promising for her, at least until she meets Shadow Stalker and realises who she is under the hockey mask.
Pretty sure that if Overpowered Bug Girl says she can't work with Shadow Stalker, then people will listen to her. V:

I stared at myself in the mirror of the plushly appointed bathroom they'd had me change into my costume in. The spider silk and chitin armour was a comforting thing, giving me a sensation of safety that had nothing to do with how it could turn a knife or stop a bullet.

My face looked different. Not a lot, but my skin was clearer and the lines of it were just so. Like an airbrushed magazine photo, maybe - or the actor who'd play me in a movie. Still recognisably me, still with my mother's thin, wide mouth and curly black hair. I still had lines too strong for a woman, the face of a pretty boy now, perhaps, or a 'striking' woman.

It hurt more than I'd ever thought it would to realise even superpowered facial photoshop would never make me beautiful. I mean, I'd accepted it by the time I was thirteen and I realised I'd never look like Emma. I'd accepted I was never going to be the one people picked out of a crowd, except maybe to ask me to get out of the way of the movie.

I'd accepted that I wasn't good enough when I'd worked up the nerve to kiss Emma before that fateful Summer - a nervous, stupid thing a confused kid does. I'd accepted that when she'd pushed me away and said no. God, sometimes I saw her at Winslow and still thought she was...

Mirrors and I had never got on since then.

I looked down at my mask in my hands. I would need it, apparently, for both safety and to protect my identity - but not for a while yet. My dad's safety came from the fact that the Protectorate knew who he was and would come down like the wrath of god if anything ever happened to him.

That was what they were really paying me in. The assurance that, if someone hurt my family, they would fucking pay. That they could escalate so hard nobody would ever do it. I understood that, and it was a bargain that I'd made with open eyes. It still gnawed at me, seeing how fucking proud my Dad had been sitting in that room.

It was the first time I'd seen him look like that since Mom died.

I walked back down the short corridor, turned the corner, and came back into the conference room. Piggot's eyes narrowed slightly as she saw my costume.

"You know, you don't need to unmask right away," Eric the Youth Guard rep said.

"I, um, I don't have a cape name yet," I said. I wasn't going to risk a repeat of 'Bug-Girl'.

"Alright. Just remember to put it on when the other heroes put theirs' on, okay? Why don't you come with me to my office, Mr Hebert, and we can talk more about those school arrangements you mentioned.

Shit, had Dad brought up me transferring or something? I'd been so shaken by that video of - of bits of Purity falling to the ground - of Purity's death that I'd forgotten.

Dad and Eric left me alone with the lawyer and Piggot for a few moments, an awkward silence stretching out before a man - well, a boy perhaps - in costume entered the room. He was tall and handsome, despite the helmet and the bodysuit. There was a litheness to his form and a confidence to his walk, I think. Just... something about his eyes, too.

"This is Aegis," Piggot said, and I nodded. I knew he was the current Leader of the Brockton Bay Wards. According to PHO he could fly, was super tough and super strong. Or, in other words, an Alexandria package. The kind of superpowers every little kid wanted. I wondered for a moment, then, if they'd ever manage to sell dolls of the weird bug girl.

"Hey, Aegis. Um, I'm Taylor. I - I don't really have a name yet," I said, feeling like an idiot. Why did every new cape around my age have to be unattainably hot? It was beginning to feel like I'd snuck into the cool kids' club or something.

"Well, since you're on the team, you can call me Carlos," he said, taking off his helmet. He smiled at me, the sort of smile that you give to a stranger to tell them it'll be alright - there's nothing to worry about. You're in the good part of town. "Cool costume. Did you make it yourself?" he asked.

"Yeah. My power - well one of my powers - is bug control, so I had spiders make spider silk for it and used insect bits for the armour panels. It's really protective and comfortable and machine washable," I said, trying and failing not to babble.

"That's pretty cool. It is, ah, a little..." Aegis - Carlos, rather started to say.

"A little villainous? Yeah, I didn't really think the dye through," I said, shrugging my shoulders.

"Since you two are getting along, you can handle the initial power testing. Do the thinker review first - Ms Gould has other things to do," Piggot said, getting up from her chair. "Welcome to the Wards, Miss Hebert. I think you'll do well here," she said before she left the conference room.

Carlos looked at me the way you look at someone who's just heard your senile grandad say something offensive.

"The director doesn't mean to be rude, Taylor. It's chaos out there - Purity was killed by the ABB, and Kaiser is on the warpath," Carlos explained, and I nodded slowly. That made sense.

"I - yeah, that makes sense. But shouldn't you be out there, then?" I asked.

"In a few months, maybe. But they don't like to put Wards near so many bullets, even if said Ward happens to be able to - never mind. Me being here and doing this means Armsmaster can go whack Nazi and ABB skulls together," Carlos explained.

"So what's the thinker review?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"Kelly asks you questions about your power and decides if it passes the test to be admissible in court," Carlos said, and the lawyer smiled.

"Carlos is right. This shouldn't take too long, though, so I'm sure you two can go shoot paintballs at each other before too long. Your ability to control insects, do you have to actively take control of them?" she asked.

"No, any of them that are in my range are under my control," I explained.

"That's good. How large is your range, out of curiosity?" she asked me.

"About a tenth of a mile. More, if I use my new power... sort of," I replied.

"What do you mean sort of?"

"I don't think it makes my bug power any better? I mean, I can multitask and stuff with however many insects I want. It's just the sensory inputs for something precise... um, anyway. I think it makes me better at using my power, if that makes sense?"

"That's another good sign. I think so long as you only use insects that are already on a property, anything you see or hear through them is admissible in court. It's possible a judge might disagree, of course, but it's unlikely" she said, smiling and getting up.

"Alright, we know you can run the assault course like you're in one of those Aleph Hong Kong action movies, and that you can make a working copy of Armsmaster's Halberd. Can you do these?" Aegis said, handing me a tablet. On it was a pair of futuristic-looking pistols - blasters, probably.

I reached out, concentrating on the image. My power was cathing on something, but there was just a little bit more I needed...

"Can you tell me what they're called?" I asked, and Aegis nodded.

"They're Takedown's current electro-blasters," he said, and that was all I needed. I held out my hands, and the blasters formed out of motes of golden light in them.

"Cool. What do they do, and who's Takedown?" I asked.

"They shoot out electro-lasers that modulate their output to safely take down anybody who's not a brute. Takedown's a Protectorate tinker out in Texas, I think. He focuses on nonlethal weaponry," Aegis said.

"So I might actually get to use these on patrol?" I asked, and Aegis nodded.

"He doesn't do melee weaponry, but I think Armsmaster can whip something up for you if he just has to leave it in his lab. Anyway, let's see if you can shoot," he said, and I went over to the shooting range.

I'd never fired a gun in my life, but I raised the blasters and fired as Aegis gave the go signal. I hit most of the targets, but not dead centre.

"You sure you've never done that before? Because firing two weapons like that, at a decent range..." Aegis said, sounding genuinely impressed. An idea struck me then, and I sent a fly to each target.

"Can I go again? I wanna see if I can use my bugs to shoot better," I said, and Aegis nodded.

This time I snapped smoothly from target to target, getting dead centre each time. After that, I used a little bit of power from my well - and did the same thing in half the time. I wasn't really sure if the real blasters could cycle that fast, but I knew I'd done well when the range supervisor came over to gush.

Then we started doing tests on melee weapons. Aegis handed me an ordinary baton, and I pretty thoroughly trounced him with it. Of course, he was unharmed and stronger than me, but I was much faster and probably the better fighter, which surprised me.

"I think I can do something with... attacks, maybe? Ranged or melee," I said, and Aegis lead me over to a dummy outfitted with all sorts of sensors. I whacked it as hard as I could with the baton, and it went flying back, ripped out of its mount. The dummy smashed hard into the wall twenty yards away, with a good distance still to go.

"Damn, girl. Don't hit normal people that hard," he said, and I nodded. I figured hitting a non-brute with that would result in people jelly and things like murder charges. Something about it - maybe just using the baton - made something click for me, though.

"Can I run the assault course again?" I asked, and Aegis shrugged.

"Sure. Not like we've got anything else to do before your PR appointment, anyway. This is just initial stuff - they'll have scientists and stuff work with you while you get certified to figure everything out," he said.
The assault course was part Ninja Warrior course, part exercise in dodging paintball turrets. They were programmed to emulate different levels of skill, and I was convinced this was a standard exercise mostly to emphasise to new capes that, if they weren't bulletproof, they shouldn't let people shoot at them.

The obstacles were easy - I could probably do that blindfolded, now. Especially given the awareness my bugs gave me. I kept my eyes open this time, though, and started to run. The turrets whirred to life and opened up with a barrage of automatic paintball fire.

My baton blurred in my hands, as I leapt like I was on wries and danced across tiny surfaces, battering away paintballs all the time. It was as if I knew where they would go; as if something guided my baton to block them. There was more to it, though - I got no paint splatter on me, despite getting plenty on my baton.

"Holy shit! That costume of yours is bulletproof, yeah?" Aegis asked.

"Against something like a nine millimetre, yeah-" I began, and Aegis waived over the Range supervisor.

"We need a bullet deflection test, Sergeant. Think you can get one set up?" Aegis asked, and he nodded.

"Non-brute?" he asked.

"Probably a good idea. Youth Guard is in the building," Aegis said.

It turned out to involve me holding my baton out of a bulletproof glass enclosure whilst the range supervisor took aim at a target behind me, again from behind a wall of bulletproof glass. He fired, and my baton moved before I'd even given it conscious thought. The bullet (aimed at me, not the target) was deflected by it, and I started at the unscathed baton as the bullet pinged against the wall of bulletproof glass protecting Aegis and the sergeant.

"God damn kid, that is badass," the sergeant said, shaking his head.

"Got any other surprises?" Aegis asked, and I nodded.

"I think I have a... shield, maybe? But it's very expensive in terms of my well - just for a few seconds costs as much as turning on my enhancement for a few minutes," I explained, but I showed it to him anyway.

"We'll have the scientist test it later. Looks like you're gonna be a pretty effective fighter, even without copied tinkertech. With it..." Aegis said, and I beamed. "Don't get too happy, though. We need to swing by PR and get you a name before I start introducing you to people," Aegis said, and I felt his dread.

Maybe I should have had one in mind before I came here.

Last edited:
Interesting! Looking forward towards where this goes.

I jumped off the roof and laned on a tiny drainage pipe
landed
but I knew his job wasn't covering enough of the ills without Mum's income.
bills
I usually go by Tattertale, but you can call me Lisa
Tattletale
Armsmaster has been called away due to recent events, but he asked me to convey his personnel thanks,
personal
My power was cathing on something, but there was just a little bit more I needed...
catching

"It is," I said, and if it was a lie it was one to protect him. Whatever bonuses or problems the Wards offered, it would keep my Dad safe from people like Lisa's boss or the ABB. Or, an uncomfortable thought struck me, the Empire.

I signed and hoped I could live with it.
Belatedly, these two lines hit real hard. Well done stuff.

Also, I appreciate the implications that are going on with regards to unwritten rules or lack thereof, even though the phrase 'unwritten rules' or 'unspoken rules' has never explicitly come up. Of course, canon Taylor probably put way too much stock in them, and here we see a much more cynical perspective: to the extent that there are norms, they are norms enforced by the threat of violence. Even when Taylor talks about keeping her father safe, it's not really expressed in terms of keeping him safe, but in terms of being able to take revenge (institutionally or personally) on whoever might attack her family.

"So those are my options? Weaver or Khepri?" I asked the woman sitting by the desk. She looked fashionable enough, I suppose, in the way that well off middle-aged ladies often are. The action figures that litter her desk are not nearly so typical.

"You have a confusing powerset from a branding point of view. Weaver emphasises your ability to create - not just with your spiders, but to create weapons. Khepri is basically the only thing we could find that fits the golden-light-and-bugs theme," she said, shrugging her shoulders.

"I guess I understand. And it does sound kind of cool - both of them. Better than any of my ideas, you know? Can I think about it for a minute?" I asked. I didn't want to take too long, because Aegis was waiting outside, but I didn't want to get locked into something bad.

"Sure. Whichever you chose, we'll want to modify your costume a little - redye the spider silk, and maybe replace the chitin plates with armour of some kind. We can have some unpowered tinker tech plates made for you in time for your debut," she said.

"That sounds cool. I only really used the plates because I had nothing else. So long as the spider silk is still there," I said.

"We're going to want to emphasise that part of your power to the press. It's nice and constructive,"

I decided, then. Some part of me rebelled against the idea that I was a weaver. I could make things, yes. I could love my creations as any master craftswoman did, behold them with reverence. But I was not a weaver. My... soul, I guess you could call, it yearned for something else.

Weaver would sit at HQ, providing intelligence on new tinkertech and weaving costumes. She'd scout things out with her bugs, hang back with some ranged support, and be the model ward. Maybe it was pride or a desire for excitement. Maybe it was just the youthful enthusiasm for conflict that's sent young men and women into the breach time and time again. It was fucking stupid, whatever it was, but it was me.

"Khepri. I want to be Khepri," I said.

"We can work with that. We'd like to go for a grey and gold colour scheme - white would probably be too much, with your light shows," she said.

"So I'd just need to get painted armour panels?" I asked.

"And a new helmet design, and probably some designs on the suit itself. But most of the bodysuit we can use, Khepri," she said, and I grinned. It felt good to hear it. I put my mask back on and opened the door.

"Aegis, meet Khepri," the PR lady said, and he smiled.

"Sounds badass. Uh, does it mean anything?" he asked.

"Ancient Egyptian god of the dawn with a scarab for a face. Only thing they could find for my - what'd you call it? Light show? - and bugs," I said.

"I guess that is an uncommon theme," Aegis said.

We left the PR office behind, after that. I had a whole bunch of things to read and sign off on - pamphlets, documents, etc. There were several printouts of my proposed costume (obviously made rather hastily in photoshop), which was similar to my current one, but with a few major differences. The improvised armour plating was replaced with smooth, golden-coloured armour panels. They'd provide more protection, weigh less, and let the PRT put a scarab based logo on my chest. The mask was different, and there was one more element - a cape that reached down to about my knees, made from shimmering golden spider silk.

I wasn't too sure about a literal cape, but there was a quick release catch and it would be just as resistant as my bodysuit. It'd have more stylish flourishes, but my costume would be more protective, and that was what I cared about.

"So what'd they saddle you with in terms of restrictions?" Aegis asked.

"Nothing that I didn't expect, at least. I can't summon any lethal weapons without direct authorisation from the Director or the senior Protectorate member in the field, I should avoid drowning people in swarms of wasps. You know, that sort of stuff," I said.

"Were you planning on doing that last one?"

"Before I had anything else, yeah. How else was I going to take someone down?" I asked, shrugging a little. If I'd still been limited to just my bugs, the way the PR office had just limited my offensive capabilities would have... well, I'd have reacted badly. Now that I had other options, it wasn't so bad.

I could see the logic behind not wanting a Ward to do something like that. Agree with it, even, rationally. Emotionally, losing a weapon in my arsenal wasn't something I liked. Being able to drown people in wasps wasn't going to keep my Dad safe, though. So I'd stick to using my bugs for recon, target marking, and distractions whilst I was a Ward.

I'd still keep the swarm of deadly insects near my house, though, as a sort of... weapon of last resort. My new abilities were powerful in direct combat, but my swarm could be used without me being exposed.

"I guess now that you can just make stun blasters or whatever, they're probably pretty happy with you. Now that you have a name, you can come to meet the rest of the team if you want. Stalker and Kid Win are out on patrol, I think, but everyone else should be around," Aegis said.

"Yeah, sounds good," I said, hoping my nervousness didn't show. Aegis had been nice to me, and although I could already tell we were very different, we seemed to get along well enough. If I could get to that level with the rest of the Wards, it'd be a hundred times better than Winslow.

I had to go pick up my new official keycard, as well as my issued smartphone, to get around and hand in my visitor's lanyard, but soon enough I was looking into the retinal scanner in the elevator and heard a soft electronic ping that signified authorised entry to the Wards Base. It was almost absurd - the rest of the PRT headquarters building was so ordinary that the sci-fi looking elevator and futuristic security was jarringly out of place.

I wondered if it had originally been designed for the Protectorate base out in the Bay, and why it had been moved here if that was true. At least I could get here without having to take a boat, and I already knew that - at least for the next few weeks - I'd be spending a lot of time here. There were a half dozen classes I had to take before my reveal and actual start as a Ward. I had to take a class on the appropriate use of force, a class on basic first aid, get certified as proficient with a variety of weapons, and pass a test on communications discipline.

Once I'd done all that, they'd show me off and I could start doing easy patrols. It wasn't what I wanted - to go out there and fight - but it was a path there. I'd have preferred to just continue as an independent hero, but...that wasn't an option, Had probably never been a realistic one. At least if Lisa's plan worked out I could go rob the gangs with her or something. That sounded fun.

The elevator came smoothly to a stop, the doors opening with a slight hiss. The Wards base itself was very sleek and futuristic, with a large branching corridor leading into a central circular room. I could see another corridor exactly opposite this one. The rooms along this corridor had names like 'Armoury' and 'Workshop'. This was, in a sense, the business corridor. The one opposite had things like the kitchen and bathrooms, and I suspected that the personal rooms would be off to the left and the right.

"It's bigger than I thought it'd be," I said.

"We're a pretty high priority Wards team. I think someone up in New York is fond of us," Aegis said, and as we walked down the corridor I saw people gathered in the central room. They were all in costume, and I wondered if they'd had to change to greet me. The central room itself looked like a combination rec room and a briefing room. There were comfortable couches, a few televisions, and a large projector. Someone had placed a large and angry-looking sign on it claiming it was for 'OFFICIAL BUSINESS ONLY!'. 'Only' was underlined several times.

"Hey, everyone. This is Khepri, our newest member," Aegis said, gesturing towards me. I felt absurd as I recognised the other capes in their professionally made costumes with glowing lights and smooth metal plating. My drab grey bodysuit and black armour was uncomfortably pedestrian next to them.

"Woah, the PR department let you wear that?" the only other girl in the group, who looked about twelve and wore a costume that combined a dress and green armour plating. She must e Vista, I thought, and I remembered reading that she was supposed to be pretty powerful.

"No, not really. They're gonna make me redye the spider silk and put new plating in, and change the mask completely. And add a stupid cape," I said, hoping that commiserating together would work.

"Ouch, an actual cape. You must have made them really mad," the boy in the white, clock themed armour said. I assumed he was Clockblocker, which made

"The names they came up with were pretty good, though. I'd have never thought about 'Khepri' on my own. All the good bug-themed ones were either way too evil or taken," I said.

"Yeah, 'Murder Hornet' doesn't really give off that inspirational, heroic vibe, does it?" Clockblocker replied.

"Hey, come on Clock. Just because she fucked Lung up-" a large, muscular boy in a blue costume said, before the guy in the knight-looking armour, gallant, interrupted him with a cough. I had no idea who the guy in the blue costume could be - he looked way too large to be a teenager, and it was only his voice that gave his age away.

"Is - is it okay if I take my mask off?" I asked, nervously. It felt weird to be standing around socialising hiding my face.

"Sure," he said, gently.

I took it off, found my glasses, and put them back on. I held my mask in my hands nervously as I looked around the room, but I couldn't see any signs of disgust. So, hey, the reception to my face was better than Winslow.

"I'm Taylor," I said, and felt stupid. Was that how I really wanted to introduce myself to a team of superheroes?

"Nice to meet you. I'm Missy," Vista said, smiling at me. The rest of the Wards introduced themselves - the good-looking Dean, aka Gallant, the red-haired Dennis, aka Clockblocker. Browbeat was some guy named Chris, and apparently wasn't quite so huge all the time. I gave them an explanation of my power, at least what little I understood of it.

"I've never heard of anyone gaining a second power like that," Dean said.

"Sounds cool, though. I'd love to be able to make weapons - they'd have to let me have at least a taser then," Missy said.

"The day someone hands you a gun, Missy, is the day we suddenly no longer have a villain population," Dennis said.

"We've got a patrol in a bit, but it was really nice to meet you, Taylor," Dean said.

"Yeah. Before you, the only other girl was Shadow Stalker, and she's a huge bitch," Missy said, and Dean frowned.

"Missy -"

"What? She is. I bet she'd even agree," Missy said,

"Guys, can we not do this in front of the new girl?" Carlos said, and I shrunk back, feeling very awkward.

"Yeah, whatever. We have to hang out sometime, Taylor, okay?" Missy said as she and Dean headed off to start a patrol.

"My Dad is waiting for me, so I, um, I better go too," I said.

Specialist Chu drove me and Dad home, and dinner that night was full of awkward conversation. I wasn't really sure what I was allowed to tell him, so I played it safe. When I went to bed, I felt the urge to go out again, but I buried it deep inside. If I went out on my own, my Dad would be in danger.

I'd made a deal, and I had to keep it. The Wards weren't bad, at least the ones I'd met. Maybe Shadow Stalker was a huge bitch - at least if she was, the other Wards hated her enough to tell me that. Carlos, Dean, Missy, Dennis... I could fit in there, at least a little.

I drifted off into an uneasy sleep and dreamt of strange, impossible worlds. Swirling chaos, horizons of red crystal, a mutilated woman made from stone with six arms. The briefest mote of golden light seemed to play across her wounds, and one crack closed.

When I woke up the next morning, the harsh beeping of my alarm clock reminded me of one fact I'd been doing my best to forget - I had school today. I even had a meeting with the Principal about something other than her not believing my claims about the Trio's bullying. Worse, now my grades actually mattered - apparently, that was a big thing for Youth Guard, directly monitoring Ward's grades.

At least I could keep my costume in my wardrobe now instead of hiding it in the coal chute.

Winslow looked the same as it always had, which was somehow surprising to me. So much had changed in my life that some part of me had expected Winslow to change - but it was the same shitheap as it always had been. At least Sophia seemed to have taken a sick day or something because she wasn't there. Emma and Madison seemed kind of out of it too, so I hoped that they'd also get whatever Sophia had.

I was now, apparently, part of a remote work-study program at a software company. At least, that's the excuse Principal Blackwell had ready for my Wards stuff. She also made sure to tell me how she'd "read your teachers the riot act about condoning bullying" which was total bullshit, but to my complete and utter surprise, Mr Gladly actually told Madison off that afternoon. She shrank back like someone had hit her, and I couldn't help but feel uneasy.

Someone had leaned on Blackwell - the PRT, probably. How had they learnt I was being bullied - had my Dad told that Youth Guard guy?

I'd gotten what I wanted for so long, and now all I could feel was a creeping sensation of dread. Had I missed something important? It felt like I had, but I could think of nothing.

I'd gotten what I wanted for so long, and now all I could feel was a creeping sensation of dread. Had I missed something important? It felt like I had, but I could think of nothing.

Someone figured out that Shadow Stalker has been fucking around, I imagine, and Sophia's gotten spooked? Or maybe she just THINKS they know, who knows.

But it could also have to do with this:

I drifted off into an uneasy sleep and dreamt of strange, impossible worlds. Swirling chaos, horizons of red crystal, a mutilated woman made from stone with six arms. The briefest mote of golden light seemed to play across her wounds, and one crack closed.

QA being repaired to full functionality with Solar power???

But maybe it could also be the ABB stuff. Who knows!!!

Using Exalted vs WoD as the inspiration rather than just base Exalted is a smart move that helps the settings mesh better. I really like the prospect of handing out the full set of Exaltations rather than just adding a single one to the mix too, it prevents any one character from just dominating the rest of the setting.

Speaking of dominating the rest of the setting though, we're definitely going to need an Exalted antagonist in Brockton Bay if both Taylor and Lisa are Solars.

The implication of the "council" being the remnants of the Terrestrial Exalted makes me wonder if Lung wasn't a super weak Terrestrial Fire before he triggered as a parahuman and got the combo platter of parahuman power and Terrestrial Exaltation.

I'm further curious how the Abyssals are going to work without the Neverborn or the Underworld fucking with them. Will they still be ultimate mega edgelords?

Will the Sidereals know anything about anything? Their whole shtick was that they had access to fate/destiny knowledge/powers.

Is Crawler a Lunar?

1.Interlude
1.Interlude

"Director, I'm glad you could find the time to talk to me," Eric Jacobs said. Piggot hated the man, he knew it, and yet they managed to work together anyway. Jacobs was, at least, able to make concessions to reality.

"The Empire and the ABB are about to turn this city into a warzone, Mr Jacobs. I'm going to need every fucking cape I've got, and you damn well know it. What is it this time - dropped grades, another fucking overtime complaint about Vista?" Piggot asked.

"No, but you're going to be down a Ward unless you want worse. I had a very interesting talk with Daniel Hebert, you know. He told me his daughter's school is a very unhealthy environment - letting a campaign of serious bullying go unpunished," Jacobs said, calmly.

"So? We'll move her or lean on them. Maybe both," Piggot replied.

"So when we talked about it, he gave me the names of the people responsible. The people who, amongst other things, locked her in a locker full of used tampons and other waste; causing Miss Hebert to trigger," Jacobs said, and Piggot felt her blood run cold. If Jacobs was talking to her about it, it could only be about one of her Wards. And if it was, only one of them (well, now two) went to Winslow.

"How the fuck did Hess get away with this? Weren't you supposed to fucking monitor her at school? Jesus fucking Christ Jacobs, you give me shit if one of the little bastards drops a fucking grade level. Are you telling me you missed this?" Piggot exploded, and Jacobs winced.

"There was a failure of reporting, certainly. We'll be launching an internal investigation and review. But that's beside the point, Director. Thankfully, Hess was out on patrol when Khepri was introduced to the Wards today. They haven't met, and if we act quickly they never will,"

"Can we prevent that? I can't just ship her off to juvie without any proof, and it sounds as though quite a few people have conspired for none of that to exist,"

"You can transfer her, though," Jacobs said, and Piggot paused. It could work - there were places that'd accept someone like Shadow Stalker without asking too many questions.

"Not if she objects, so I can't use a punishment station. But the idea works, Jacobs. If you want me to fix your problems, though, I want something in return," Piggot said.

"What?" he asked, cautiously.

"I want clearance to accelerate Khepri's training, and I want you to keep your fucking mouth shut if some of the Wards patrols happen to encounter Empire capes for a few weeks," Piggot said.

"Not the ABB?" Jacobs asked, calmly.

"Oni Lee and Bakuda are both batshit enough to try and kill a Ward. The fucking Nazis have greater ambitions that would be disrupted if the National Guard and New York Protectorate rolled in to smash them," Piggot said, which was true. But left unsaid was that if that did happen, the collateral damage would be immense.

"Fine, then. Are you sure Khepri is ready for field deployment with just a class on radio discipline and that pamphlet about use-of-force?"

"She managed to beat Lung and keep him down long enough for me to actually arrest him. Getting a combat-focused Grab-Bag that powerful into action quick enough to matter... maybe some skinheads get a little more roughed up than proper. You gonna fucking cry about it?" Piggot asked.

"No, Director. I think we understand one another," Jacobs said and Piggot smiled, despite herself. Jacobs might be fucking Youth Guard, and he might be a colossal prick, but he could work with her.

The three ABB footsoldiers walked carefully through the remains of the burnt-out building. None of them could quite believe that one of their own had got Purity, using a normal weapon no less. Bakuda had been working on some kind of fancy tinkertech RPG warhead, but in the end, it had been a standard Soviet-surplus antitank warhead that had taken care of the Empire cape.

Two of the footsoldiers carried baseball bats in their hands, with pistols clumsily stuck into pockets on waistbands. They were young, inexperienced. Recent conscripts, judging by the patches of shaved hair on their scalps. One was older, more experienced. He carried a sawn-off shotgun, with a number of shells in his pocket.

He'd been around long enough to have belonged to another gang before the ABB. Before Lung had come to town and demanded loyalty. None of them had even heard of him, and he hadn't seemed that strong. A brute, certainly, with some minor fire powers.

Then he'd killed a half dozen parahumans from the various gangs he'd demanded loyalty from. The older footsoldier still had nightmares about a huge metallic dragon-man, breathing fire hot enough to melt steel in seconds.

Now Lung was captured, defeated by a single teenager. A Ward, if the rumours were true. He had no desire to meet whoever could defeat Lung on her own, but -

"Hey, boss! Someone's moving over here!" one of his subordinates said, and his eyes snapped over to him. He was standing over the body of a woman, dressed in burnt rags. She was naked from the waist down, and a part of him noted how odd it was that she had no burns.

Then the woman stood, black smoke spilling from her forehead. A dark sigil blazed there, and he felt fear. A bat swung at her, only to shatter over skin as hard as steel. The woman's hand shot out, grabbing the man who had swung his bat at her by the throat and lifting him with ease. The other one of his subordinates dropped the baseball bat and drew his pistol, holding it towards the woman with shaking hands.

She raised one hand towards him, and a beam of silvery light edged with inky darkness turned him into a smear of ash. The older footsoldier fired his shotgun, but a shield of black smoke seemed to appear between him and the woman. Between him and the woman he'd seen blown to pieces with a fucking rocket-propelled grenade.

"Purity..." he whispered in fear, dropping the shotgun and scrambling backwards.

"No. Her weakness died here. Her cowardice," she said, and the smoke cleared away. She still held one of the younger footsoldiers by the throat, and she brought her fanged mouth to his neck and tore. Blood spilled forth, and she drank it greedily. It splattered across her ghastly, pale face and white hair.

He screamed, and she smiled as she dropped the corpse. She strode forward, her feet lifting from the ground. Her body glowed with blindingly strong white light, edged by inky darkness. He tried to run but found he could not look away from her, not even as his eyes burnt. One glowing hand brushed his cheek, leaving behind burnt and blistered skin.

"Know my name, child. Know it as you join your degenerate ancestors in oblivion, as you are devoured. Know that it was I, The Burning Light of Untainted Glory, that destroyed you," she said, her voice soft and motherly.

Then, he knew nothing at all.

Last edited:
The implication of the "council" being the remnants of the Terrestrial Exalted makes me wonder if Lung wasn't a super weak Terrestrial Fire before he triggered as a parahuman and got the combo platter of parahuman power and Terrestrial Exaltation.

I'm further curious how the Abyssals are going to work without the Neverborn or the Underworld fucking with them. Will they still be ultimate mega edgelords?

Will the Sidereals know anything about anything? Their whole shtick was that they had access to fate/destiny knowledge/powers.

Is Crawler a Lunar?
The author is using Exalted vs World of Darkness as her inspiration, which is why we had the whole thing with the Terrestrials opening the Black Vault. While I'm sure things won't line up perfectly, you can look at the writeups in the book for some idea about how the various splats might work.
"Know my name, child. Know it as you join your degenerate ancestors in oblivion, as you are devoured. Know that it was I, Burning Light of Untainted Glory, that destroyed you," she said, her voice soft and motherly.
Ah, and there's the Exalted antagonist we needed. I like the thematic implications behind a prominent nazi becoming an Abyssal: she represents a dead-end ideology that can't do anything but hurt people, so she gets a dead Exaltation that forces her to hurt people. It's very fitting.

Also, Purity has been whitewashed and "redeemed" in way too many fics, so it's refreshing to see a fic that doesn't excuse her awfulness and instead makes her an undead nazi abomination and (presumably) a primary antagonist.

Back