prometheus110

Join Cayman-Global & be part of the 1E-9 percent!
Pronouns
He/Him
So the guy who directed Sicario is making a sci-fi drama based off of the short story 'Story of Your Life' by Ted Chiang...... And it looks pretty good, to be honest.

I can't figure out why, but the trailer leaves an Interstellar aftertaste in my brain. And I'm saying it despite the premise being interesting in a Wattsian kind of way.

Saw this recently.

I'm curious, if you have read the original (Story Of Your Life by Ted Chiang), how do you think it compares with the film?

I'm guessing the details about time travel/non-linear time and xenolinguistics come much better across in the book.

Film seems to be a very challenging medium for such a story, and I am impressed with the results.

I found the cinematography and visual concepts very good, but even then it's difficult to get the nuances unless you're well versed in those sci-fi concepts, and I think that's why many were underwhelmed.

Also it's quite similar to 2001 as an immersive experience, and if the circumstances are not right you will miss that.

That's what happened to me, saw it on small low quality screen, wish I had seen in a theatre.

Saw this recently.

I'm curious, if you have read the original (Story Of Your Life by Ted Chiang), how do you think it compares with the film?

I'm guessing the details about time travel/non-linear time and xenolinguistics come much better across in the book.

Film seems to be a very challenging medium for such a story, and I am impressed with the results.
I felt the short story was overall better, but I liked both.
The short story is able to focus more on the mechanics of some stuff, so you get a better idea earlier that the aliens have an alien mindset, and the reveal of the non-linear time is, in my opinion, more chilling in the short story.

I felt the short story was overall better, but I liked both.
The short story is able to focus more on the mechanics of some stuff, so you get a better idea earlier that the aliens have an alien mindset, and the reveal of the non-linear time is, in my opinion, more chilling in the short story.
Non-linear? There's any branching in the book? Because I haven't seen any branching in the film - in fact time was very linear despite precognitive abilities, largely turning everything into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Non-linear? There's any branching in the book? Because I haven't seen any branching in the film - in fact time was very linear despite precognitive abilities, largely turning everything into a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Non-linear doesn't mean branching. It can also mean being able to see present/future at the sane time..

Back