Anyone read *Fitzpatrick's War*?

So I recently finished this book and was hoping to start a discussion on it. It's really quite good and had some surprising twist and was just generally depressing.

Who's the author and what's the premise? Because I've never heard of it.

Who's the author and what's the premise? Because I've never heard of it.
The author is Theodore Judson. The premise is that a historian in the late 2500's is reviewing the memoirs of a man who was in the inner circle of the greatest conqueror (but not really) in human history who led the conquest of the world in the name of the Yukon Confederacy in the 2400s. This figure was put upon a pedestal in the histories of the Yukon people and the memoirs knock him down and show him as a deeply disturbed mass murderer.

It's a very bleak book, though not without a bit of a dark sense of humor - like, from what I recall, the historian is almost comically prudish, objecting to the memoirist mentioning dancing with his wife or brushing her hair. (Which is funny, but also a sign of how misogynistic Yukon society is, how little they value women, that the idea of a husband being affectionate with his wife is wrong to them). The Yukons pretty much presage the 'Dark Renaissance/retroculture' types - the guys who want Victoria to happen. The difference is, Judson recognizes how awful and self-destructive it'd be.

It was published in 2004, which surprised me a bit when I looked it up... though come to think of it, some of those currents were floating around in the Bush era too.

Last edited:
Back