An Undertow of Sand (Percy Jackson and the Cthulhu Mythos)

She was one of the goddess' 'defects.'

Aphrodite seems like she would be cool with 'defects' right?
Very accepting and calm?

"First times can be a little rough, and messy and unsatisfying, but practice makes perfect!"

"Dude."

"What?" I could hear the smile in his voice. "I'm talking about Prophecies, obviously. Get your mind out of the gutter."

"And you're also talking about me and your sister."

"..."

I love the yugioh cards as oracle readings!!!
Also, doesn't he have a cabin? He slept in the big house, right? Or maybe that doesn't count.
Also also, it'll be interesting to see how the other campers react to Percy living with his mother and not being a single-parent-child.

I love the yugioh cards as oracle readings!!!
Also, doesn't he have a cabin? He slept in the big house, right? Or maybe that doesn't count.
Also also, it'll be interesting to see how the other campers react to Percy living with his mother and not being a single-parent-child.
The Twelve Cabins are only for their children. Hermes takes in strays. Percy was 'assigned' the Big House to sleep in, so he doesn't have a Cabin as the Big House is the administrative building for the Camp staff.

I'm getting a very strong feeling that daughter of "Aphrodite" has more divine parentage than just the goddess of love under her belt. We know that demigods breed true from the Roman books, so I wouldn't be surprised if Poseidon has a vested interest in a potential niece.

An Undertow of Sand Character Sheet
The Oracle of Delphi. The Great Prophecy to Olympus, Sept 13th 1945:
A half-blood child of the eldest gods, shall reach sixteen against all odds
And see the world in endless sleep, the hero's soul, cursed blade shall reap
A single choice shall end his days, Olympus to preserve or raze

The Oracle of Chthon. Quest to Phoebe Artemis, May 21st 2005:
1. Zeus, King of Olympus
2. Vial of Centaur Blood
3. Boreas, God of the North Wind
4. Hermes, God of Thieves
5. The Oracle of Trophonius
6. Artemis, Goddess of the Hunt
7. Geras, God of Old Age
8. Despoina, Goddess of Mystery
9. The Cydonian Cincture
10. Zeus' Lightning Bolt
11. A Harpe Sword
12. Moros, God of Doom
13. The Right Hand of Kronos, the Titan Lord

T̸̫͇̫͙͙̉̍h̴̤̠͕̺̃͂̈́̕͘ê̴̬̜̱ ̸̨͙͙͙̗̝̐̅͐O̵͔̮̺̲̍̒̄r̵͇̠͌͂â̴̻̫̘ç̵̟̬̥̯̫͒͌͗͐͌̊l̸̘̩̳̊͂̔̓e̵̢͙̙̊̀͌ ̵̡̼̰̺̮͍̊o̷̖̩̰̾̾̄͂f̵̟͓͊̋̕ ̵̢͎̖̪̩̌D̵̦͚͎͛̕ͅě̶͓͔̙͔̥͆̈̌͠l̵̺͍̖̞̅̾p̵̙͖͐̎̍ȟ̸̭͕̲̠̮ï̷̡̗̗̆͂: May 20th 2005 to Percy Stele?

You shall go west and face the god
And fail without friends
One shall perish by a parent's hand
And lose a love to worse than death
The forge and dove shall break the cage
The half-blood child of the eldest gods
To storm or fire must fall

Characters:

Perseus D. Stele, aka Percy.
Son of Ananke, the Personification of Fate and Destiny, Compulsion, Necessity, Circumstance and Inevitability

Divine Gifts:
Damocles: A blade of Foreboding suffered by those in positions of great power who are otherwise vulnerable to knives in the dark, as per the tale that gave it its name, the Sword of Damocles. It will assist the wielder in defending their blind spots. Enchanted as a silver sword pendant on a necklace.
Jacket: A lesser copy of the pelt of the Nemean Lion. It cannot be cut or torn. Minimal resistance to force.
Schrödinger's Backpack: A canvas backpack that is always there when its owner reaches for it. Items outside of the bag at time of summons are left behind.
Sunglasses: When worn, conceals Ends and Anomalies in the Tapestry of Fate from the user's sight.

Luke Castellan
Son of Hermes, the God of Travelers, Thieves, Messengers, Commerce, Trade, Diplomacy, Orators, Athletes, Trade and Invention

Divine Gifts:
Winged Sneakers: A lesser copy of Hermes Winged Sandals. Upon the use of magic phrase 'Maia,' Sneakers gain limited flight capabilities for up to one minute.
Reclaim: A Celestial Bronze vintage lighter gifted to Luke Castellan by Hermes. Will never run out of fuel. When cap is twisted, unsheathes a Celestial Bronze xiphos.
????:

Phoebe Artemis
Daughter of Zeus, Goddess of the Hunt, Moon, Maidens, Archery, Wilderness, Radiance and Forests

Divine Gifts:
Silver Bow: The weapon of Artemis, Goddess of the Hunt forged by the Elder Cyclops and gifted to her by her father Zeus, King of the Gods of Olympus.
The Moon Chariot: A manifestation of the Moon, inherited from Selene, Titan of the Moon, Radiance and Insanity
Knee-Length Chiton: As King of the Gods of Olympus, Zeus granted Artemis complete authority over The Hunt. May trespass into Olympic godly Domains as long as she is Hunting a target.

Last edited:
Does anyone else feel like the quest is akin to a First Date with Artemis?
It will force Percy to work past his crush, gives him the opportunity to impress Artemis (which, based on the pilot chapter, he will), and make Artemis look at Percy beyond just 'another man'.

Also, canon Hades reacting to Percy arriving with the master bolt wasn't an overreaction, in my opinion. A son of Poseidon, arriving with the bolt in tow, is easily interpreted as a threat (from Poseidon to Hades)
(Hades had every right to being angry due to the situation - not only because of his helmet, but also because his brothers broke their oaths while he had to hide his kids to ensure they weren't killed, which was EXTREMELY hypocritical. Zeus and Poseidon's kids were able to live - or at least that's my take on it, with how the behind the scenes stuff for WW2 was described…)
As for the Minotaur - I say that was a snap descion, and it wouldn't be POSSIBLE for Hades to recall it!
(The entire situation was set up so that they all were reacting to events
And I mean, Hades could've just let Sally die, instead of taking her the way he did. With the way Hades took her, it meant she hadn't truly died, and as such he had Enough slack to personally return her. Unlike with the other heroes, where they had to go through a trial to earn the return of their loved one…

Last edited:
Also, canon Hades reacting to Percy arriving with the master bolt wasn't an overreaction, in my opinion. A son of Poseidon, arriving with the bolt in tow, is easily interpreted as a threat (from Poseidon to Hades)
(Hades had every right to being angry due to the situation - not only because of his helmet, but also because his brothers broke their oaths while he had to hide his kids to ensure they weren't killed, which was EXTREMELY hypocritical. Zeus and Poseidon's kids were able to live - or at least that's my take on it, with how the behind the scenes stuff for WW2 was described…)
As for the Minotaur - I say that was a snap descion, and it wouldn't be POSSIBLE for Hades to recall it!
(The entire situation was set up so that they all were reacting to events
And I mean, Hades could've just let Sally die, instead of taking her the way he did. With the way Hades took her, it meant she hadn't truly died, and as such he had Enough slack to personally return her. Unlike with the other heroes, where they had to go through a trial to earn the return of their loved one…
It can't be a threat, because Percy is still a twelve year old demigod. Even assuming he can actually use the Bolt somehow, its still a very mortal boy verses the Lord of the Underworld while in said Lord's throne room. Hades interpreted Percy having the Bolt as 'proof' he also stole the Helmet of Darkness, he says so in the text. But somehow the fact that Percy would have to be a complete moron to steal the Master Bolt and the Helm of Darkness and instead of delivering them to his Dad, walk back into the Underworld with them is not questioned.

I guess sons of Poseidon are just normally that stupid so no one thinks twice?

Hades taking Sally could be a bargaining chip for Percy, but it was most likely aimed at Poseidon. Remember, the Bolt and Helm were stolen almost 6 months ago. If Poseidon was stirring up trouble, why would Percy have two god weapons on him that entire time? The only leverage Hades could possibly get over Poseidon was either A) Taking his demigod son or B) Taking his current mortal lover. And as Percy 'isn't supposed to exist' anyway, Sally is actually worth more than her son.

It can't be a threat, because Percy is still a twelve year old demigod. Even assuming he can actually use the Bolt somehow, its still a very mortal boy verses the Lord of the Underworld while in said Lord's throne room. Hades interpreted Percy having the Bolt as 'proof' he also stole the Helmet of Darkness, he says so in the text. But somehow the fact that Percy would have to be a complete moron to steal the Master Bolt and the Helm of Darkness and instead of delivering them to his Dad, walk back into the Underworld with them is not questioned.

I guess sons of Poseidon are just normally that stupid so no one thinks twice?

Hades taking Sally could be a bargaining chip for Percy, but it was most likely aimed at Poseidon. Remember, the Bolt and Helm were stolen almost 6 months ago. If Poseidon was stirring up trouble, why would Percy have two god weapons on him that entire time? The only leverage Hades could possibly get over Poseidon was either A) Taking his demigod son or B) Taking his current mortal lover. And as Percy 'isn't supposed to exist' anyway, Sally is actually worth more than her son.
Hades ISN'T thinking straight at that time. (Which was the point. He's getting desperate and here a possible answer is.)
And the idea of a Young Demigod not posing a threat (of course, not a DIRECT one) is a joke.

But yea, he jumped to conclusions. That isn't exactly a major crime - that's something very common anyway!

Last edited:
Hades ISN'T thinking straight at that time. (Which was the point. He's getting desperate and here a possible answer is.)
And the idea of a Young Demigod not posing a threat (of course, not a DIRECT one) is a joke.

But yea, he jumped to conclusions. That isn't exactly a major crime - that's something very common anyway!
Considering said young demigod is before Hades himself in the dude's throne room? He's a non-issue. The idea of 'Poseidon sent his 12 year old son to threaten me into X or else this boy will X me up' is laughable. There are very few 'indirect' threats to Hades. Bianca and Nico are with the lotus eaters. Every other member of Hades family is immortal. Stealing a soul from an afterlife is annoying, but not harmful to Hades at all. Blasting any of Hades' monsters will just make them respawn. I literally don't understand this idea of Percy being a threat in any way to Hades.

And yes, jumping to conclusions is common. However, when the conclusion you jump to is one shared by *Zeus,* that should be a sign to take a step back from the stupid.

And yes, jumping to conclusions is common. However, when the conclusion you jump to is one shared by *Zeus,* that should be a sign to take a step back from the stupid.
But the REASON for reaching that conclusion isn't the same!
Zeus only had the evidence of 'Posiden had a kid'.
Hades had 'Posiden's kid has ahold of the Master Bolt'

either way, I see it as Kronos having set them up for infighting.

But the REASON for reaching that conclusion isn't the same!
Zeus only had the evidence of 'Posiden had a kid'.
Hades had 'Posiden's kid has ahold of the Master Bolt'

either way, I see it as Kronos having set them up for infighting.
Did you forget that Hades sent Alecto, the Fury, otherwise known as the Pre-Algebra teacher Mrs. Dodds after Percy accusing him of theivery? And then the Minotaur? And then all three Furies at the same time? When Percy did NOT in fact, show any sign of having the Master Bolt?

He literally went 'Poseidon had a kid' mate.

Last edited:
Chapter 1-3 have gone minor edits due to some feedback, hopefully unintentional ambiguity has been reduced. I'm still waffling on a scene in Chapter 4 when Percy meets Nyx. Namely, whether it works as it is, or if the story would benefit from a more explicit portrayal of the eldritch. Any opinions either way here?

The whole Percy Jackson series is an argument for New Management. The entirety of the Titan blooded need to go. Every last Child of Gaia need to die, their Thrones broken, their souls bound or destroyed. Humanity needs to go interstellar and destroy Gaia when they leave.

Give Gaia a taste of her own medicine

Last edited:
The whole Percy Jackson series is an argument for New Management. The entirety of the Titan blooded need to go. Every last Child of Gaia need to die, their Thrones broken, their souls bound or destroyed. Humanity needs to go interstellar and destroy Gaia when they leave.

Give Gaia a taste of her own medicine
I mean, okay, but How is the big question here. The very cosmology means if you kill Athena, Hephaestus and Hermes, you literally kill mankind's ability to invent anything.

I mean, okay, but How is the big question here. The very cosmology means if you kill Athena, Hephaestus and Hermes, you literally kill mankind's ability to invent anything.
I'm wondering how those parasites managed to tie themselves to humanity's collective subconscious that tightly. If they were able to do so, there is a way to unbind them

Last edited:
Well, only part of it right? Like, even in canon (where they make a lot of very grandoise claims about themself that the story does not always back up), the only ever claim to be running/linked to western civilization. Would killing Hermes really effect, say, india? People living in Alaska, the land beyond the gods (which was kind of not great worldbuilding in canon so I totally understand if that's not a thing here). Uncontacted native tribes in the amazon?

Yeah the PJO universe really isn't one that leans into HFY, since literally every important person in history was a demigod.

Plus there's the fact that in order to mask Percy's demigod scent, he was forced to live with Gabe, an abusive piece of shit whose smell was so human that it masked Percy's divine nature for a while.

Well, only part of it right? Like, even in canon (where they make a lot of very grandoise claims about themself that the story does not always back up), the only ever claim to be running/linked to western civilization. Would killing Hermes really effect, say, india? People living in Alaska, the land beyond the gods (which was kind of not great worldbuilding in canon so I totally understand if that's not a thing here). Uncontacted native tribes in the amazon?
Dionysus makes it plain what it means to be linked to Western Civilization. Inventions that were made with divine inspiration? Incomprehensible. If it weren't for gods of medicine at least half of the medical schools wouldn't exist. Great figures of history were all demigods. For your example, India was literally colonized by the British Empire. Killing Hermes would absolutely affect every advancement they made since at least that point. Alaska is the land beyond the gods where direct godly intervention is not a thing, but it does not mean gods can't go there (see, Thanatos and Alcyoneus) or that divinity is somehow vanished upon entering as demigod inherited powers still work. The uncontacted native tribes would be fine, but chances are pretty high they either have their own little pantheon or are under the umbrella of a bigger one. Brazilian mythology for example.

Dionysus makes it plain what it means to be linked to Western Civilization. Inventions that were made with divine inspiration? Incomprehensible. If it weren't for gods of medicine at least half of the medical schools wouldn't exist. Great figures of history were all demigods. For your example, India was literally colonized by the British Empire. Killing Hermes would absolutely affect every advancement they made since at least that point. Alaska is the land beyond the gods where direct godly intervention is not a thing, but it does not mean gods can't go there (see, Thanatos and Alcyoneus) or that divinity is somehow vanished upon entering as demigod inherited powers still work. The uncontacted native tribes would be fine, but chances are pretty high they either have their own little pantheon or are under the umbrella of a bigger one. Brazilian mythology for example.
If that's how it works that's how it works but what I don't buy is that the world looks like ours if those are the rules. This feels like the kind of world building that was never meant to be scrutinized too heavily and is more like set dressing. If it isn't actually focused on in the story it seems like a lot of unnecessary work to try to justify. Of course that's entirely up to you :p

Edit: What I mean is that certain elements of a story was never meant to and doesn't have to be watertight. It's all about how it is actually used in the story. If the history and evolution of modern society isn't relevant to the goings on in the story I as the reader can kind of hand wave it away as the premise. If it starts to actually drive the story forwards, then I would expect some solid ground work from the author.

Last edited:
You obviously get to set the rules for your fanfic, but for canon/headcanon... well, I'd be suspicious about what Dionysus (or any other god) says about the importance of gods. He's not exactly an impartial source, and it's in his best interest to claim that the gods are super critical to everything. He might even genuinely believe it, because killing gods doesn't happen all that often, and he's also a mite self-important.

Back