An Archer Adrift: I Don't Have An Arrow For This (Anime Logic/Hawkeye Quest, Story Only Thread)

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Plucked from the battle against Thanos just as victory was achieved, Clint finds himself before a celestial bureaucrat being made an offer too good to refuse. The task was a bit strange, but really, how hard could it be to lead a bunch of high school kids to the regional archery finals? Very fucking hard apparently, and not because of their ability to shoot an arrow…

This is technically a companion my other 'Adrift' quests, Captain Westeros and THORHAMMER, except much less serious. It was born from a shitpost. I hope you enjoy.

FAQs -
The setting is 'generic sports anime'.
This is not a Fate crossover.
There is no magic.
Clint is married. Very married.
It runs off anime logic.
Pilot
Clint bent over backwards to avoid a swipe that would've torn out his intestines, before returning the favour and carving the four-armed-mutant-dog-looking-thing from hip to shoulder. Shimmering red light cloaked him, and the Chitauri that was about to skewer him in his moment of vulnerability instead found itself holding a melting weapon, shrieking in pain.

"You're getting slow," Wanda called out to him, standing atop a nearby piece of wreckage. There was blood at her temple, staining her hair.

He put a dart through the eye of the insect person lining up a shot at her back. "I knew you had it," he said, trying to regain his wind. "Do you think you could finish up here? I forgot my bow, and my sword is getting blunt."

Wanda flicked her hands out, like one might when shooing away bugs, and motes of red streaked out to strangle and twist those it hit. "Cardio is good for you," she said, but her words were without heart, and her eyes were roving the chaos of the battlefield. "Can you see him?"

He didn't have to ask who she meant. "Not since he killed half his army trying to escape you."

A sound rang across the battlefield that felt like burning shivers crawling down their spines, and a wash of purple light followed it. Clint and Wanda shared a glance, and then they were off, rushing towards it in a breathtaking display of lack of self preservation. One of the space whales saw and sought to make a meal of them, but found itself crumpled and crushed, even as Clint cut down three Chitauri that rushed Wanda in her distraction. They reached their goal and took in the scene, just in time to see Tony push himself up, armour battered and ruined. Six ominous lights shone on his gauntlet.

"No," Clint said, full of denial. "Not again."

Lightning flashed, and Thor descended from the skies to land beside Tony. A moment later, Cap limped out from the shadows, joining them. Clint couldn't help but laugh, the sudden relief he felt a fire in his heart.

"What are they doing?" Wanda hissed. Red energy twined between her fingers, but she hesitated, unsure.

"They're being all dramatic and shit," Clint said. "It's over. We've won."

Then Tony snapped his fingers, and things went sideways.

X

Clint blinked, sitting up straight in the cushioned chair he found himself in. All around was whiteness, a bright room without end. He squinted instinctively, but realised it wasn't hurting his eyes. He blinked, and there was a flimsy office table in front of him, groaning under the weight of paperwork. He blinked again, and a man in a cheap suit was sitting on the other side of it. He had no face.

"What the fuck," Clint blurted. He reached for his sword, but its sheath was empty. His quiver was still on his back, but its lightness told him it too was empty.

"Mr Barton," the faceless office drone said. He was doing paperwork, rapidly signing and stamping reams of paper. "Thank you for joining me here today. This won't take long."

"You've got about five seconds to explain what's going on before I climb over that table to get at you. Five. Fo-"

"That little dustup you had has drawn the eyes of my superiors," the being said, speaking casually as some unseen force silenced Clint, his vocal cords refusing to work. "Dimensional walls thinned and in need of repair, reincarnations knocked off course, unauthorised crossover events…generated quite a bit of paperwork, too. Terribly inconsiderate."

Whatever hold was on him loosed. "How awful for you," Clint said. The smooth skin that stretched across the thing's face left him unsure where to look, and the muscles underneath it that still formed expressions left him disquieted.

The faceless man nodded, acting as if he had been serious. "Part of the job of a celestial bureaucracy, but still, tiring."

"People died."

"Yes, but no one important stayed dead," the being said. "My point is, we had to put in quite a bit of overtime on this one, and upper management put in a request for entertainment as a sort of 'thank you' for all our hard work. We were hoping for that plucky arachnid kid, but you'll have to do."

"I will put an arrow," Clint said slowly, "so far up your-"

"You'll be returned to the moment you were taken, and we'll add five healthy years to your lifespan to make up for the time you missed with your family."

The archer shut his mouth, but only for a moment. "What do you need me to do?"

"Excellent! We had hoped and planned for a harem comedy, but we've had to step quickly now that you're here," the faceless man said. He continued to stamp and sign paperwork at a rapid pace. "Still, we were able to repurpose most of our preparations to suit you."

Clint had a bad feeling about all this. "I'm married," he said. "Very married."

"We've transitioned into an underdog sports drama instead," the being continued, ignoring him. "All you must do is coach a high school archery team to victory in the regional final."

"...what's the catch?"

"No catch," the being said, far too cheerily. "You just need to take a group of Japanese teenagers, caught up in the throes of puberty, and teach them how to use a deadly weapon."

"Wait, no one said anything about Japa-"

The faceless man stamped the final page before themselves with a sense of finality. "Everything has been taken care of. Good luck."

The brightness of the room began to increase, growing so bright that Clint could see nothing but painful white light. He closed his eyes against it, the flicking of pages grew loud in his ears, and then he stumbled as he was pulled up onto the sidewalk, out of the way of a speeding white truck.

"You should watch where you're going," a man said, speaking Japanese, letting go of his shoulder.

Clint looked around wildly, disorientated by the sudden shift in his surrounds. The featureless white room he had sat in so briefly with the faceless man was gone, and now he stood outside the local school, about to start his first day at work. It had a tall, dark grey concrete wall, sparse greenery planted along it, and a road around it. He blinked, as he remembered things he had never learned. He knew where his apartment was, where he hid his spare key, the route he walked to get to where he was now. He remembered waxing the string of his bow, packed away in the soft case slung over his back.

"Are you ok?" the man said, watching him with concern. He was dressed in a suit, balding, and had a plastic pocket protector in his breast pocket, coloured pens in it.

"Yes, thank you," Clint said, dragging his mind back on track. "I was just distracted; it's my first day here." Subtly, he pretended to scratch his temple, and his fingers came away unstained by any of the grime and blood he had been covered in what felt like only minutes ago.

The man brightened. "Oh, you must be Barton-san! We were told you were coming. I am Nakamura Ichiro, mathematics teacher." He gave a slight bow.

"Cl- Barton Clint, gym teacher," Clint said, returning the bow. Something about the interaction sat strangely with him, but his time in Japan hadn't been spent in the most polite of company.

There was a beep, and Nakamura glanced at his watch. "Excuse me, I'm running late. Good luck with your first day!"

Clint watched as Nakamura hurried on, walking through the gates and into the school proper. On the wall beside the gate, in shiny plastic lettering, was a sign.

ノーブランド高校 the sign on the wall read. Nōburando High School.

The archer, adrift in some strange world, set his shoulders and walked through the gates. If that creepy supernatural office drone was telling the truth, all he had to do was teach a bunch of teens to shoot and he'd get back the years he had been robbed of with his family. Easy.

Inside the gates was a large courtyard, lined on the other sides by three story buildings. A large tree dominated the centre, casting shade over most of it. He did not have long to inspect his new workplace, however.

A shriek of surprise came from behind him, and he turned. On the same road that he had nearly been run over, a school girl had been sprinting towards the school. She had tripped on the curb, messy purple hair sticking up in all directions and a panicked look on her face as she barreled towards him, arms pinwheeling to keep her balance. The piece of toast she held in her mouth completed the picture.

Time seemed to slow as Clint noticed the arrows sticking out of the bag on her back, and he moved to react. Well, there were worse ways to meet a prospective student.

Springing off one leg, Clint stepped out of the way of imminent harm and the possibility of ending up with an armful of student before he had even started his first day at work. The girl tumbled past him, arms still spinning, and she skidded to a stop without taking a nasty fall onto the cobblestones. The toast she carried was not so lucky, coming free from her mouth as she bit the corner off in her panic.

The girl looked crestfallen as she regathered herself, staring down at the piece of toast with a hangdog look. "Aw, breakfast."

"You alright there?" Clint asked, startling her, and she turned to face him.

"Ahhh, I'm so sorry!" the girl said, bowing, hands flat against her trousers. "I could have killed you!"

"More dangerous have tried," Clint said dryly. "Don't worry about it. What's your name?"

The girl looked impressed and intrigued for a moment as she straightened up. She was maybe a head shorter than he was. "Midori Lily, sensei."

"You're on the archery team?" Clint asked.

"How did you know?" Lily asked.

"I'm the new archery teacher," Clint said.

The impressed look returned. "Did you see the archer's callus on my fingers? The string scar on my arm?" Suddenly, her enthusiasm waned as her brain appeared to kick in. "...my name was on the class list, wasn't it."

"No, your arrows are sticking out of your bag."

A metaphorical stormcloud appeared over her head as she slumped. "I'll just…go." She rallied, perking herself up. "Welcome to Nōburando High, sensei!"

"I'll see you in class, Midori," Clint said. "Watch your step."

Lily snapped to something that vaguely resembled attention and attempted an America salute. "Hai, sensei!" She turned and ran off, almost slipping on her fallen toast.

Clint watched as she disappeared into one of the stairwells that led up into the building block to the right. At a more sedate pace, he began to follow. He had an appointment with the principal in the same building, and - he paused. Until that moment, he hadn't had a clue about the meeting; it had popped into his head from nowhere, but now he remembered being called by the school and agreeing to it. He fought down a shiver. Having someone fiddling with his mind, again…

Agonising over it wouldn't change things, not until he was face to not-face with another of those faceless bastards and could put an arrow somewhere sensitive. He adjusted the tie of his suit and marched onwards, making for the administration section at the end of the top story.

He had noticed the lack of kids running around, loud and excitable, and as he passed through the building he saw why. They were already in class, homeroom by the look of it, and some glanced out the windows curiously as he passed. All seemed to be older teenagers, though few had hair as uncommonly coloured as Lily's. Most seemed to be well behaved, though he did pass a classroom where a boy and a girl were having a shouting match in front of the blackboard, the teacher sitting to the side with his head in his hands as the class looked on, entertained.

The school was well looked after, though perhaps not well funded. There was not a single bit of graffiti in the concrete stairwell, and no gum on the pale blue walls, but there were scratches on the class windows though they were well cleaned, and the fluorescent lights tended to flicker, even if the protective casing was empty of insects. There was a dedicated team of janitors on the job, it seemed.

With class in session, he was the only one making his way through the building, and when he reached the admin section it was similarly deserted. There was a reception area with chairs, and a counter with glass windows separating it from the actual office space. He could hear someone moving about deeper within the office side, but that was it.

Well, he was an employee. Tapping the bell on the counter, he stepped through the door beside it, ignoring the faded motivational poster exhorting students to do their best on it. There was a wall behind the counter, blocking sight into the office from the reception, but as he entered he found an open layout of numerous workspaces, all with their own large desk and plenty of room, though much was buried under paperwork. Light streamed in through the windows on either side of the space, and a small kitchenette at the far left end with a well loved coffee maker. There was what looked like a meeting table in the middle, and not a single cubicle to be seen.

Sound drew his eye, and a head rose above a table. A young woman blinked at him, visibly wondering why a strange American was in her office. She had long black hair and a button nose.

"Good morning," Clint said. "I'm Barton Clint, I have a meeting with the principal?"

Realisation crossed her face. "Ah! My apologies, I was meant to greet you, but I had to fix my computer." She rose to her feet, rubbing at reddened knees. She wore a loose tie for some reason. "I'm Wakimoto Kimiko, but please, call me Kimiko-san. I coordinate things here in the senior school office."

"I'm here now, Kimiko-san," Clint said, waving it off. "Is there anything I should know, going in?"

"Gendo-san is easy to work for, you'll be fine," Kimiko said. She sank back into her chair, rolling into her desk as she pushed a button on her computer screen. Biting her lips, she held her breath, until it gave a chime. "Success!" she cheered. "Only five minutes before it boots, now…"

"So, should I just…?" Clint asked.

"Ahh! Sorry again!" Kimiko said. "Yes, Gendo-san said to go in whenever you arrive. He's in the office at the back there." She gestured to a door on the other end of the office, along from the kitchenette. "Let me be the first to welcome you to Nōburando High!"

"Ichiro-san beat you to it, sorry," Clint said, as he began to make his way through the narrow office lanes between desks and chairs, both often covered in folders and stacked printouts.

Kimiko pouted. "He gets all the luck. Hope some rubbed off on you!"

"Thanks?" Clint said as he reached the door. 'Abe Gendo' read the bronze plaque on the door. On closer inspection, the 'Abe' part looked much more weathered than the 'Gendo' section. Putting it from his mind, he knocked, and waited.

"Come in," a muffled voice said.

Clint took a breath, and stepped through. He was an Avenger. He had killed monsters. He could deal with this, though he did wonder what it said about him that he was more nervous about a job interview/meeting with a school principal than with Fury.

The office was utterly average, and completely forgettable. It was like someone had distilled 'school administrator' to its base essence, and then painted the walls with it. A bookshelf lined the wall to the left, filled with shiny folders that were rarely touched, and windows the right, looking out over the central courtyard. A desk faced him, and sitting behind it was a bespectacled man in a suit, inspecting him with his fingers laced before his mouth.

"Good morning," the man said. Light reflected off his glasses. "I am Abe Gendo, school principal. You must be Clint Barton." He rose, and offered his hand. He had a slight gut, showing through the suit, but his arms were strong, and so was his grip.

"Pleased to meet you," Clint said, accepting the handshake with some surprise.

"I spent some time studying in America," Gendo explained, sitting again. He gestured for one of the two seats in front of his desk, and Clint sat. "I'd like to start by thanking you for taking the job on such short notice, even if your email said it was convenient for you."

"I was made a very compelling offer," Clint said, keeping his suspicions from showing. Was this man in with the faceless drone?

"Nōburando High School demands quality from its archery coach," Gendo said. "The remuneration for the position is quite literally written into our charter."

"That seems unusual," Clint offered.

"It is," Gendo said. "My grandfather founded this school when it was still outside the city limits, and he was a passionate archer. He wished to share this passion with his students. To that end, we have made archery a core subject in our curriculum."

"Makes sense," Clint said. 'What the fuck', he thought.

"The team you will guide are the best of our students," Gendo continued. "Normally, you would have leave to conduct trials to build the team, but this year the team has already been finalised."

"How's that?" Clint asked.

Gendo glanced at the closed door of his office, and leaned in closer. "You know that you will be starting a week into term, but what you don't know is why. Our previous coach was forced to quit unexpectedly."

"Quit?" Clint asked. "Family emergency?"

"He had an unfortunate run-in with some delinquents from another district, and his hand was injured in the struggle," Gendo said, face grave. "The latest in a run of poor luck with our coaches. I am hopeful that it will not continue."

"What else happened?" Clint said. "Should I be worried?"

Gendo waved him off. "Our long standing coach retired, and his replacement was lured away by an offer from a more prestigious school. His replacement had an accident at the local archery range, and his replacement was the one who was mugged."

"That's some bad luck," Clint said. That faceless bastard had called this a sports drama, right?

"Indeed," Gendo said, before making a dismissive gesture. "But that's behind us now. You have your team of five, for better or worse." He fixed Clint with a piercing stare, out of place on his otherwise average face. "What do you hope to achieve in your time here?"

"These kids are gonna win the regionals," Clint said. There was no room for doubt in his voice.

Gendo's brows shot up. "You've not yet met the students."

"Don't care," Clint said. "If they can physically draw a bow, I can get them there."

"I see," Gendo said, seemingly considering him in a new light. "Well, that's good to hear. It has been many years since Nōburando High had a new trophy to add to the case. Mid-way through my father's tenure, actually."

"Better dust it off then," Clint said.

Gendo snorted. "Pfft, dust. Not in-" A bell began to ring, cutting off whatever he had been about to say. It was shrill and loud, mechanical, not through some kind of intercom system, and it heralded a wave opening doors and chatter that rose up about them.

Children spilled out into the courtyard, though most seemed to be moving from room to room within the three main buildings, visible through the windows on verandahs and walkways, and up and down the stairwells. From what Clint could see through the office window, it looked like each building was used by a different age group.

"I see we've run out of time," Gendo said. "Did you have any final questions?"

"Nope," Clint said. He knew his timetable, and the school layout - his eye twitched as that faceless fuck did it again, inserting knowledge into his brain. "Nice to meet you, Gendo-san."

"And you, Clint-san," Gendo said. "Good luck to you. I have to face down the board in another budget meeting." He gestured to the thin laptop on his desk.

"We could swap," Clint suggested, getting to his feet.

Gendo pulled a face. "I'd rather deal with the blood suckers than students, this early in the morning."

Clint went on his way, laughing in the way that you had to when your boss made any kind of joke, slinging his bow case back over his shoulder as he closed the office door behind him. Kimiko was still at her desk, waiting for the computer to load, and she waved distractedly as he passed. The reception was busy, students lining up clutching forms and envelopes, while an old lady sat on a stool served them. He made his way out and through the halls, heading for the archery hall. He towered over everyone he passed, mostly because they were only teenagers but also because they were Japanese, and his appearance drew many looks. Two students rounding a corner at speed forced him to step aside, and neither seemed to notice, scowling at each other as they strode shoulder to shoulder, more focused on scowling at each other than where they were going. It was the same pair that he had seen shouting at each other earlier, and they were quickly out of sight.

The archery hall itself wasn't part of the three main buildings, but stood behind the senior school. Tall hedges surrounded its section of the grounds, just as well maintained as everything else Clint had seen, and stepping through them was like walking through a curtain, all other noise falling away. It was longer than it was wide, half again as long as the actual school building, and unlike the school, looked more visibly like a traditional Japanese building. Not that Clint was an expert on such things; he had been more focused on murdering Yakuza than on the architecture when he had visited in his own world. A torii gate was painted onto the wall around the double doors that led inside, and they swung open silently as he entered.

Inside was a long hall that ran the length of the building, windows on the other side allowing him to look into the hall proper and protect any visitors from the archery range on the other side. To his right, towards the front of the school, there were typical ringed targets set up, and to his left at the other end there was a shooting platform, slightly raised from the floor. Movement from beyond the targets caught his eye, and he saw a figure by a side door as they opened it. The light streaming in prevented him from getting a good look at them, but they seemed to glance back at him before stepping through and disappearing.

Clint focused on more important things - like the students waiting for him. Down the hall he walked, following it past the shooting platform and to a door that led into a room behind it. He stepped through, and four sets of eyes looked up at his entrance.

It wasn't exactly luxurious, but the amenities weren't lacking either. A row of benches ran down the middle of the room, designed for bow maintenance, and on the other side were two doors leading to locker rooms. The wall to the left was covered in racks full of every bit of archery equipment one could imagine, and to the right there was a sunken square of couches before the door that led to the range. That was where the students were sat, watching and evaluating him. He evaluated them in turn.

Two of them had risen as soon as he entered, and they bowed slightly as he looked them over. One was a young woman, tall and willowy, and she wore a long black skirt and white top that Clint recognised as a kyudo outfit after a moment. Straight black hair fell to her hips, and Clint could almost smell the old money. The other was a stocky young man, wearing glasses and with his hair cut short, but wearing more modern clothing, even if it all looked like new brand name gymwear.

The other two were still seated, and of them he recognised Lily with her purple hair, sitting facing him. She was wearing gymwear as well, but it looked like she had grown a few inches since buying it, and she beamed at him, waving. The other was a boy with hair that had been bleached, leaving it a violent orange, and he wore the school uniform, grey slacks and white shirt, though he had undone the top two buttons. He had his legs up on the coffee table between the couches, and his head was tilted back over the couch as he looked at Clint.

"Yo, sensei!" the boy with the bleached hair said. "Does that mean we can start shooting now?"

The eye of the boy standing twitched slightly, but he wasn't the one to scold him.

"Takashi-kun!" Lily said. She was fiddling with an arrow.

"Ah, sorry taichō," Takashi said, rubbing his head as he looked back to her. "I'm just all fired up!"

"Is that what happened to your hair?" the other boy said, completely serious.

"Man you gotta use those muscles in your face for something cause I got no idea if you're fucking around or not," Takashi said. "It's called an expression, you do it to convey emotion, Shiga."

"I did not know this," Shiga said. "Could you tell me more?" Shiga's face did not so much as twitch, and Clint would put money on it being him screwing with the other boy.

"Ebisu," the tall girl said, gently chiding, and Shiga bowed his head in apology.

Clint approached, setting his bow bag onto the closest bench and hopping up onto it. "You guys seem like you'll be fun. What's your name?" he asked the kyudo girl.

"Kusano Hisana," she said, giving another slight bow. "I am pleased to meet you, Sensei."

"And I'm Yamaga Takashi!" Takashi said. He joined the others on their feet, not to be respectful, but to point at him. "Don't forget it!"

"Let's see a bit of respect while we use deadly weapons, ok?" Clint said firmly. "But sure thing, Yamata."

Takashi flushed, shoulders hunching in, but then his brain caught up. "Wait a minute…"

Clint ignored him, already moving on. "Before we get started, there is one thing I'm going to say. Even if you alrea-"

An opening door interrupted him, and they all turned to it. Another student was poking their head through, like a rabbit venturing out of the burrow, and he flushed as he saw the attention on him. His eyebrows were somewhat thick, but his head was utterly bald.

"Yama-bro!" Takashi cheered, but quietly, still mindful of his scoldings.

"I apologise for my lateness sensei!" the boy said, bowing ninety degrees at the waist. His head gleamed under the lights. "I lost my way. It will not happen again!"

"What's your name?" Clint asked.

"Yamamoto Taro, sensei!" he said, still bowing.

"I'll hold you to it," Clint said. "Put your bag on the table, and join the others."

Taro straightened, and placed his bow bag on one of the benches, before scurrying over to the couches, stepping down into the recess to sit on the couch to the right.

"I know you're new, but how did you forget where the range was?" Takashi asked Taro, his whisper completely unsubtle.

Clint cleared his throat, and Takashi sat ramrod straight, turning back to him. "As I was saying. I expect you already know this, but it needs saying anyway: If anyone on this team points an arrow at someone, even as a joke, they're gone. We are using deadly weapons, and you will treat them as such. Understood?"

"Yes, sensei," the five kids chorused.

"Great," Clint said. "My name is Barton Clint, and I'll be your coach until we win the regionals. You-"

Lily fairly exploded from her seat, pointing at him dramatically. "The regionals?!? You think we can win the regionals?!"

"I do," Clint said

The purple haired girl began to do a fair impression of a boiling kettle, shifting from foot to foot. "Yyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeee-!"

"Lily," Hisana said, placing a hand on her shoulder.

Lily took a deep breath, closing her eyes. "I'm good. I'm good." She opened them, staring straight at Clint. "I will do whatever it takes to help, Barton-sensei," she said.

Clint had heard less sincere death threats. "Great, but if you don't we'll be trying again until you do."

"What if we graduate before that?" Taro asked hesitantly.

"We'll be trying again until you do," Clint said again. It sounded like a threat.

Taro swallowed, leaning back.

Clint cast back to his prior train of thought. "You can call me coach, sensei, or sir, whatever you're most comfortable with. We're together for the next-" he glanced at his watch "-two hours, so let's move out to the range and see where we're at."

The students clambered out of the recessed couch area, heading over to where their bows were hanging on the wall closest to the range entrance, save Taro who followed suit with Clint and began unzipping his bow bag on a bench.

The bag was one Clint recognised; he had last seen it in his garage back home, packed away and gathering dust. Opening it, he revealed his work bow, matte black and looking brand new. He paused, suddenly concerned, and dug into the other pocket of the bag, searching for his quiver. He found what he feared, hand settling on the matching quiver, and all the arrows within.

Deliberately, he zipped up his bag again, leaving the quiver inside. There were arrows in the racks on the wall. He didn't need to bring his own arrows out. There was no need for any evidence of what he had brought onto school grounds to leave the bag. He would just…lock it up. The locker rooms would have lockers, surely. Yeah.

When Clint joined his students after safely stowing his explosive (and worse) arrows away, they were waiting for him on the shooting platform, waiting. He took a moment to inspect their bows. An archer's bow said a lot about them.

Lily carried an old wooden recurve, much loved and much used, but well cared for, and she plucked at its string as she stared down the range. She stood with Hisana, who carried a yumi bow, the enormous thing taller than her or Clint, and it looked old, but not in a worn way. It was handmade.

"That is a very American bow, sensei," Ebisu said. Like Hisana he carried a yumi, but his was new, and if it had been made by hand he couldn't tell at a glance. "What is the draw weight?"

"One seventy seven point six," Clint said.

Ebisu gave him a flat look.

"So cool, sensei!" Takashi said. He had a bow with the school's logo on it, a compound. "Mine is only forty pounds…"

"Draw weight rarely matters for competitions," Taro said, encouraging him. "It's about what you do with it!"

"Dude!" Takashi said, gaze shooting to Lily and back.

Taro just looked at him in puzzlement. His bow was also recurve, but metal, and looked fairly new, clearly purchased from a sporting goods store.

"You can't just say that in front of -" he gestured at the girls, and things quickly devolved into muttering. Ebisu gave a tired sigh.

Clint ignored their byplay, glancing down the range. The targets weren't exactly at an interesting distance, but they were far enough away that the kids would have to focus. "Alright. You've picked your lanes. Do I need to give you the safety talk?"

"Zaizen-sensei gave us a full lesson on it, before his accident," Lily said, breaking her staring contest with her target. "The office has our signed safety forms, too."

"Then let's get shooting," Clint said.

"Sensei?" Hisana asked politely. "Would you demonstrate for us before we start?"

"Sure," Clint said. He nocked one of the school arrows as he spoke with her, drew, and loosed. "Anything in particular you wanted to see?" He nocked another, drew, and loosed.

Hisana blinked as she looked downrange. "Just your technique in general, sensei…"

He nocked, drew, and loosed. "I just want to make sure you have confidence in my archery ability," he said. Nock, draw, loose. "If you guys are going to win the regionals, we need to have faith in each other." Nock, draw, loose.

"Holy shit," Takashi said.

"Language," Clint said, frowning at Takashi. He felt like Steve would be proud. Nock, draw, loose.

"You'll teach us this, right sensei?" Lily demanded.

Nock, draw, loose. "You'll learn," Clint said. Again, it sounded like a threat. Nock, draw, loose.

Taro was staring, open mouthed. "That is Olympic."

"I never competed," Clint said. Nock, draw, loose.

"Why were you approached only after Zaizen-sensei?" Ebisu asked, looking between Clint and the target.

Nock, draw, and loose. "Just worked out that way," he said, finally looking down the range at his target. Ten arrows, or rather, one arrow and the splinters of nine more, protruded from the target. Each of them had been split by the arrow following it, save the last. "I hope that answered any questions you had."

"Yes, sensei," Hisana said. "Very much so."

"Great," Clint said. "Now, let's get started. Regionals are only six months away."

Suddenly enthused, the five kids hurried to their place, and Clint settled in to watch their form. He had a good feeling about all of this.

High above, in a shadowed corner of the hall, the red light of a camera blinked as it recorded.

X

Clint walked along the rear of the shooting platform, watching his students as they worked their way through their quivers. There was a range of skill and aptitude on display, though his gut instinct had been right, and all had clearly earned their place here.

"Yamamoto, engage your shoulders as you draw," he said to the bald boy. He was clearly the newest, though he had a raw skill, and the feel for whether a shot was good or not the instant it left the string. "Don't be afraid to hold your shot until the right moment."

"Yes sensei," Taro said. He did so, and smiled as he loosed his next arrow. It landed in the inner circle.

"Good work," Clint said, moving on. He gave Lily a glance. The girl was actively working on a problem with her grip, so he said nothing. "Shiga," he said, as he reached the stocky boy.

"Sir?" Ebisu said, pausing with an arrow nocked.

"What made you choose a yumi?" Clint asked.

Ebisu glanced at Hisana for a split second before answering. "My father suggested it."

"Do you like it?" Clint asked.

"I respect the history behind it," Ebisu said, looking back down the range.

Clint gave a hmm, and left him to it. He passed by Yamaga, the boy fiddling with his finger guard, quiver already used up. He had been very quick to shoot, almost half as fast as Clint, though his accuracy had suffered somewhat for it. "While you wait, I want to see situps," Clint told him.

"Ah, sensei!" Takashi said, complaining. "I'm not trying to rush; I'm just a reflex shooter!"

"This isn't a punishment," Clint said. "Strengthening your core will make you a better archer."

Takashi was moving almost before Clint had finished speaking, placing his bow down carefully and dropping onto his back.

"Straighten your back and let your feet slip a bit further away," Clint told him. He watched as he complied, technique improving. "Now, what did you mean by reflex shooter?" He wasn't sure if his translation was right, or if the kid was just excusing his hurried technique.

"The reflex events are my events, sensei," Takashi said. "I'm the best in the club at them!"

"Reflex events?" Clint asked.

"You don't -" he let out a breath "- have them in America, sensei?"

"Not by that name if we do," Clint said. "What is it?"

"You score points -" huff "-based on how quickly -" huff "- you can hit the target -" huff "- once it appears," he said, falling back, clutching his stomach. "This is harder than I thought."

"Sit ups aren't a race," Clint said dryly. "Take a break, and do another ten after the next round. Slower."

Hisana was only halfway through her quiver when he reached her, shooting slowly and methodically. Each shot was near identical to the last, from the way she drew the arrow to the breath she let out before releasing the string. The grace involved reminded him of another woman he knew, and he quickly pushed the thought from his mind.

"Barton-sensei," Hisana said, only speaking after she loosed another arrow. "You have not heard of reflex events before?"

"Not official events, no," Clint said.

"Then you have only competed in the static American competitions," she said, a slight frown creasing her brow.

"I never competed," Clint said. Maybe he could have been one of those rich athletes with richer sponsors, but then he never would have met Laura.

This surprised the tall girl. "Then how did you become so proficient?"

"I used to hunt a lot," Clint said. He wasn't lying, technically.

"The favoured American pastime," Hisana said. "I see."

Clint watched as she drew another arrow, matching his breaths to hers. Her movements were precise, and she used as little motion and force as she could, gently nocking the arrow with only the faintest of touches. It was handmade, too, the fletching some kind of feathers he had never seen before. Ten seconds after she had drawn her arrow, she loosed, and hit the centre ring.

"How do you do with the reflex events?" Clint asked.

"I adjust," Hisana said. "Though it is not my best event. I prefer the labyrinth."

"The la - that's another event, isn't it?" Clint asked.

"Given the lateness of your hiring, I suppose it is to be expected that you are not familiar," Hisana said.

Clint raised an eyebrow at her.

"My grandfather is on the school board," she explained. "I do not take advantage of this, but I hear things."

"Right," Clint said. "Rotate your lead foot about an inch to your left."

Hisana frowned minutely. "My tutors assure me my form is flawless."

"Humour me."

Doing as he had said, Hisana shifted her foot, not that it could be seen under the long skirt she wore. Clint watched as the change affected the rest of her stance and alignment as she went through her process, firing her second last arrow. It hit the centre ring again, but she blinked in surprise all the same.

"Feels better, right?" Clint asked.

"How did you..?"

"Footwork affects your stance affects your spine affects your grip," Clint said. "You've got a range at home, right?"

"I do," Hisana said.

"Homework is to shoot three quivers at the range your accuracy usually falls off," Clint said. "Let me know how it goes."

"Yes, sensei," Hisana said. Still, she frowned. "I thought I was following the art correctly."

"Were you emulating something?" Clint asked.

"It is an art that has been passed down since my ancestors served the shogun," Hisana said. "Every Kusano has learnt to perfect it and pass it down."

"There's your problem," Clint said.

"Your pardon?" Hisana asked, tone almost frosty.

"Following a style is great, but you gotta adjust it for each person," Clint said. He had known people who were real snobs for the 'purity' of their style, but N- that had always been beaten out of them. "Finish your quiver so the others can get their arrows." She nodded, and he moved on.

"Sensei," Lily greeted him as he reached her.

Clint glanced down the range, taking in her target. "Nice shooting, captain." Her arrows were all clustered in the inner ring, save one that had barely hit the target. "Except for that one. What happened there?"

Lily gave a nervous laugh. "Don't worry about that one, sensei." She rubbed her head as he gave her a look, and gave in. "My stomach rumbled as I shot."

"You missed breakfast," Clint said.

"Haha, yeah…" Lily said, cringing.

"A piece of toast was your breakfast?"

"I lose track of time in the mornings," Lily said. "It won't happen again. For at least a week."

"Riiight," Clint said. In the next lane, Hisana fired her last arrow. "Range is cold! Retrieve your arrows and your targets."

The students made their way down the range, some more enthusiastically than others, and Clint waited for them, thinking over what he had learned. The sport itself seemed to be more complicated than he had expected, and he had some research to do. He tensed, half expecting the information to pop into his head, but nothing of the sort happened, and he forced himself to relax. The students themselves clearly came from a wide range of backgrounds, but that was nothing he couldn't handle. At least they all seemed friendly enough. He watched as they reached the targets - rather than approach their own, they had first clustered around the one he had used as a demonstration, and were discussing it. Some were quieter than others.

"-wild shooting, we're gonna destroy-"

Takashi was hushed by Lily, and they looked back, but Clint was inspecting the ceiling, definitely not paying attention to them. There were a number of security cameras hidden up there, but he supposed that was to be expected.

In short order, the kids returned with their arrows, new papers affixed to the targets, and began to shoot again after he gave the all clear. He settled in to watch once more, watching for things they could improve on, hawk eyed.

The lesson passed quickly, and Clint gave what advice he could. By the end of it, he had a decent grip on where they were at. Hisana was the most polished, and one of the most accurate, but the others were no slouches either, even if they had their skills and weaknesses. As their time came to an end, he led them back into the room behind the range, and directed them to pack away their gear.

"Kusano, you've got your homework," Clint said as they each claimed one of the maintenance benches, inspecting their bows and arrows. "Yamaga, I'm going to send some exercises on your school email."

"I don't have a gym membership, sensei," Takashi said, not looking up from his school bow.

"Doesn't matter, you won't need one," Clint said. "Hope you like pushups."

Takashi groaned, though his spirits picked up all the same.

"Yamamoto, I want you to put in another hour on the range before our next lesson," Clint continued. "Doesn't have to be all at once. I'll see about arranging for you to have access while I'm not here."

"Without supervision, sensei?" Taro asked, his thick eyebrows rising.

"I'm teaching you to use deadly weapons," Clint said. "If I can't trust you to use the archery range without me staring over your shoulders, we have bigger problems." He glanced at the others. "That goes for the rest of you too."

Takashi pumped his fist, but the others seemed unaffected, though Lily was appreciative.

"What of me, sensei?" Ebisu asked. He seemed discomfited not to receive a task.

Clint eyed him. It was only their first lesson, but still… "I want you to research different bow types. Focus on what they were made for, their strengths and weaknesses."

"How many words?" Ebisu asked.

"No report, just do the research," Clint said.

The boy nodded firmly.

He should probably give them a pat on the back or something. "Good work today, all of you," Clint said. "We're going to focus on base ability for a while, and then we'll start more specific training for specialty events." Yeah, that sounded like he had a plan. "I'll see you all the day after tomorrow."

"Yes, sensei," they chorused.

The bell rang, audible even in there, and they hurried to finish packing their gear away. Takashi returned his bow to its place on the wall, while the others shouldered their bags, and they trooped out the door, Lily chattering at Hisana, while Takashi and Taro dove into a conversation about some video game. Ebisu followed behind, nose in a book, and the door closed behind them, leaving Clint alone. For the first time in what felt like years, he had a moment to breathe.

He let out a breath, sinking into one of the couches, head rolling back. His family was back, returned from dust, and he wasn't there. What would they think, reappearing to find him missing? He was putting them through the same thing he had suffered, the day they disappeared. Laura would be there, he reassured himself. She would take care of them. He only had to make sure this team won the regionals, and then he could be there too-

The sound of an opening door cut off his line of thought, and he looked up in time to see a young woman step through. She wore a long skirt and floral blouse, and the lanyard around her neck told him she was a teacher, but little else.

She brightened when she saw him, flicking blonde hair over her shoulder. "You must be Mr Barton," she said in English, with a very proper British accent. "I'm Susan, Susan Pope." She was in shape, though it looked to be from cardio, not weights.

"Yeah, that's me," Clint said. "Did you need one of my students? You just missed them."

"I need you, actually," Susan said. "Another teacher had a family emergency, and had to leave. We need someone to supervise their class until a substitute arrives, but no one else is free. Could you watch them?"

"Sure," Clint said. It was better than stewing in his thoughts. "What subject was it?"

"You don't have to worry about that," Susan said, waving him off. "Just keep them occupied and don't let them eat anything they're not supposed to." She stepped back through the door, and he could hear her speaking in Japanese.

Clint frowned, suddenly suspicious. Why did he feel like he'd been tricked?

The door opened again, and Susan led the class in. They entered in pairs behind her, holding hands and hardly coming up to her waist, and he felt a dawning horror. This wasn't a class. This was a mob of toddlers.

"Say good morning to Barton-sensei, children!" Susan said. She met his gaze with a beatific smile.

"Good morning Barton-sensei!" the class sang. They were watching him like one might an undiscovered species, unsure if it would taste good or not.

"Hey, good morning guys," Clint said weakly. He got to his feet and stepped out of the pit, not wanting to risk being swarmed and overwhelmed.

"You shouldn't need to watch them for more than an hour," Susan said. "Maybe two."

"I'll remember this," Clint said in English.

"I'm sure," Susan said in the same, her smile threatening to slip into a smirk. She made to leave, leaving him with twenty odd children that were already looking at the racks of archery equipment with interest.

"Alright kids," Clint said. "Who wants to see me shoot an apple off of someone's head?"

Susan froze in the doorway, but the class was already clamouring in enthusiasm. A grin that some might have described as 'shit eating' was the last she saw of Clint before the door closed behind her.

"Head on through that door, and wait for me there," Clint told the class. "Whoever is the quietest and best behaved gets to hold the apple on their head."

The mob of seven or eight year olds marched out in perfect silence and in better order than some military units Clint had seen, and he turned for the equipment racks. The apple trick wouldn't keep them occupied long, and he'd have to think of something else. For a moment, he considered showing off some of his own arrows, before common sense reasserted itself. Better not. He didn't want to have to rob the Yakuza to pay for damages.

X x X

In the end, it took three hours for the substitute to arrive. When they did, it was in the nick of time, relieving him just as he was starting to seriously consider some of his expanding foam arrows as a way to keep some of the little blighters pinned. The school day had practically been over, the last of it given over to supervising the mob as they cleaned up the hall, and the final bell rang just as they finished.

Clint's feet were heavy as he trudged through the town streets, the weight of the world heavy upon him. Whatever that faceless bastard had after they grabbed him might have refreshed his body, but his mind was starting to slow, and he felt like he had been awake for days. The sun was a brilliant orange as it set, bathing the town, and it was uncomfortably close to the Soul Stone. Every time he closed his eyes, Natasha's face flickered across his mind's eye, forcing him to turn his thoughts elsewhere, but they always circled back to her, and the expression she wore as she fell.

His apartment wasn't far from the school, and his path took him down quiet streets and sidelanes. He had been slow off the mark to leave, missing the rush of students, and it was still too early for everyone else to get out of work, leaving the streets mostly empty. The only other person he saw was the figure on the footbridge that ran over the road ahead, cast in shadow as they faced away, watching the sunset.

A pebble found its way into his shoe, and he cursed, stopping by a power pole as he worked at it, trying to get it out. He had no luck, and he placed one hand on the wooden pole for balance as he began to pull his shoe off.

The next moment, an arrow sunk into the pole with a thwick, right between two of his fingers, and his heart rate soared at the sudden attack. He dropped and rolled, pulling his bow bag around as he scanned for the one responsible.

There was only one other person around, the figure on the footbridge, but they were no pedestrian. They stared down at him, bow in hand, but made no move to string another or flee. The arrow in the pole had a note furled around the shaft, he realised.

The honest-to-god ninja on the footbridge, black outfit and mask and all, watched as he straightened up slowly, reaching for the arrow. The note came free with a tug, and he kept one eye on the man as he unfurled it.

If you value your ability to put an arrow to string, you will leave Nōburando High School and never return.

It was written in delicate calligraphy, with a brush even. Whoever had written this wasn't an amateur - in that, at least. As far as threats went, he'd heard better from Nathaniel come bath time. A moment later, the note sparked and caught fire, and he flung it away as it burnt to ash.

He looked back up, and saw the ninja still watching him, as if waiting for an answer.

Well, he'd give him an answer. One that couldn't be misunderstood. Slowly, he retrieved a pen and paper from his bag, and began to write, taking great care to be neat and precise in his kanji. It wasn't as fine as the note he had been given, but it wasn't too shabby, even if he did say so himself. When he was done, he tugged the arrow free from the pole - it was made of wood, the fletching some bird he didn't recognise, and had a metal tip - and wrapped his note around it. There was some residue from whatever adhesive had been used for the first note, and he used it to keep his note in place.

Still moving slowly, Clint retrieved his bow, and strung the arrow. He didn't aim at the ninja, but straight up in the sky, not breaking eye contact with the man for an instant. The moment stretched out, and he loosed the arrow. A cool evening breeze swept down the road, carrying leaves with it as they locked gazes, eyes narrowing at one another. Had a bystander passed by, they would have felt stifled by the tension in the air.

The arrow made a hard thunk as it hit the footbridge, landing right between the ninja's feet. The man knelt, pulling the arrow free, and unfurled the note. Clint saw the exact moment he saw the message, the man pulling his head back in disgust, and he smirked.

I can't read Japanese.

The ninja stormed off, leaving the bridge and disappearing from sight, leaving Clint alone. He waited, just long enough to be sure he was gone, and began to stow his bow away. He shouldered the bag, and continued on his way, considering.

The threat certainly cast new light on the school's hiring troubles, but Clint wasn't about to let it stop him. He was going to lead Nōburando High to victory at the regionals, no matter how many ninja or samurai or teenagers he had to go through to do it.

Believe it.

Last edited:
Five bucks says slenderman's gonna be real shirty about the definition of "regionals" and season two will be Clint coaching the team through the Asia/Oceania international tournament.

Last edited:
This is excellent, I hope you continue the story but then again I feel that way even about the omakes in the other adrift stories.

"Ninjas. Why'd it have to be Ninjas?"

And I call it that Clint actually has to stay for five years, completely negating the "five extra years" repayment, because SlenderROB is a crafty monkey paw-er.

So, when do the superior bloodlines, special moves and divine archery equipment start appearing?

Last edited:
About two seasons down the line when each archer gets their own Stand.

As long that no matter what gets pulled out of Anime Japan's nether regions, Clint remains as he is, needing no sort of mid season upgrade. Through it all he will just mutter about how Sam was right and everybody now had a gimmick.

Last edited:
Episode 1: Big American On Campus
Clint snorted as he woke, disorientated, but only for a moment. He had fallen asleep on the couch, head tilted back over the backrest. His head felt thick and his tongue thicker, and he tried to remember what had happened the night before. There was a coffee table with an open laptop and an empty cup of noodles before him.

After putting the run in with the ninja from his mind, he had continued on his way 'home', arriving at the apartment block and the penthouse he now found himself in. It was a modern thing, all sleek lines and mirrored windows and open spaces. He sat in the living room, an enormous tv screen on the wall across from him, and the kitchen behind him. A doorway off to the side with no door led to the untouched bedroom.

Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, Clint rose and stumbled off to the bathroom. When he emerged, wiping warm water from his face, he felt somewhat more awake. The kitchen had an island bench, three stools that looked more like modern art than actual seats along the side bordering the living room, but more importantly it had a coffee machine, and he made his way over to it.

Caffeine acquired, Clint sipped at it, leaning against the kitchen bench. The laptop on the coffee table was off, but he could still remember the research he had done on it, seeking information on the state of archery in this strange new world. Some were familiar, but much was not. At least now he knew what he had to prepare the kids for.

Through the floor to ceiling windows, he saw an outdoor area that he hadn't noticed the night before, but he felt that was forgivable given everywhere he had been through. There was a pool and an entertaining area, but he had little interest in it. Not without his family. His coffee burned hot as he downed it in one gulp.

The TV came to life suddenly, showing the time as an automated alarm began playing throughout the penthouse.

"Shit," Clint mumbled to himself, searching for the remote as the annoyingly upbeat song kept playing. "Where are you stupid thing," he said, digging under the couch pillows. "Come on, turn off-" the TV turned off. "Huh."

Still, he had a job to do. It was time to get ready for school.

X

He was on time today, and that meant he got the full experience of the morning school rush. Children swarmed everywhere, dropped off by parents or arriving on foot or bike, greeting friends and shouting to be heard. Clint made his way across the busy courtyard, towering above all before him. Most of those he passed were quick to step out of his way, partly because he was a teacher but also partly because he was a tall muscled American, though he had to step around two senior students who apparently didn't notice him, so absorbed in their ferocious thumb war as they were. It was the same pair he had noticed arguing twice the previous day, a tall boy with short orange hair and a short girl with longer black locks.

Despite the madness, it did not take him long to reach the senior school building and make his way up to the office slash staff room. The same old lady was seated behind the reception again, serving students with permission slips, and he stepped through the door, bustle of the students fading away as he entered the office.

Conversation paused as he entered, and a number of people looked his way.

"Good morning," Clint said, taking them all in. Some he recognised, but most he did not.

"Barton-san!" Kimiko, the office coordinator, said cheerfully. She was sitting on the edge of a colleague's desk. "I heard you ran into some mischief yesterday. Glad to see you're still with us."

Clint blinked at the bubbly woman. There was no way she could know about the ninja, right?

"It's every educator for themselves in times like that," another woman said, English accent strong. It was Susan, the blonde woman who had dumped a class of toddlers on him, and she shot a fleeting smile at him as she focused on marking some papers.

"So harsh," Kimiko said, pouting. "You haven't met everyone yet have you, Clint-san?"

"Not yet, Kimiko-san," Clint said.

"We've met briefly, but it's good to see you settling in well," Nakamura, the balding man who had pulled him out of the way of a truck when he had first arrived in this world. Sitting at his own desk, he still looked like the platonic ideal of an accountant, plastic pocket protector lined with coloured pens.

"Nakamura-san, good to see you again," Clint said.

"I get to introduce you to the rest then!" Kimiko said, bouncing to her feet. Really bouncing, and Clint was glad for his iron self control. She held her hands out to the side like a game show girl, gesturing to the woman whose desk she had been sitting on. "Here we have Momoi Wakana, our Social Studies sensei!"

"Good morning, Clint-san," the woman said. She was a redhead, but it was a dye job, obviously and purposefully bad. She was also incredibly short, her chair pumped up to its max so she could use her desk comfortably. "I also run the school debate team. If you've got a quick tongue, I'd love to have you over to demonstrate it some time."

Before Clint could examine that, Kimiko was already moving on. "Next up, we have Ikari Mai, our Physical Education sensei and current Heikin City marathon champion!"

"Barton-san," the woman said politely. She was thin, her black hair in a pixie cut, and he would have picked her for a runner even without Kimiko's comment. "Welcome to Nōburando High." She seemed more reserved than the others.

"Thank you, Ikari-san," Clint said.

"Next up, and my favourite," Kimiko said, bouncing across the room.

"Hey," Wakana said, less offended than sounding like she thought she should maybe be offended.

"Don't act like she's not all our favourite," Kimiko shot back, receiving a resigned agreement in return. She came to a stop at the desk closest to the kitchenette at the back of the office. "Haga Hanako! Amateur baker extraordinaire! She's our Japanese teacher."

A plump middle aged woman pressed her hands to her cheeks as she smiled. "You're only saying that because you want an extra muffin."

"Is it working?" Kimiko asked, smiling winsomely.

The sound of opening tupperware was her answer, and a light muffin with white icing was handed over. The eyes of the others in the office tracked it as Kimiko accepted it carefully and began to devour it, like a piranha descending on a carcass.

"Welcome to the school, Clint-san," Hanako said, ignoring the massacre beside her. "I hope you enjoy your time here."

"I'm sure I will, Hanako-san," he said.

"Haga Nobu, our Home Economics teacher, isn't here yet," Kimiko said, glancing at the empty desk across from Hanako. "He usually is by now."

"I made carrot cake last night," Hanako said. "Nobu said he wanted to squeeze an extra circuit in to make up for it."

Noises of understanding answered her.

"Finally, Amane Kazuko!" Kimiko said, flouncing over to the last woman in the room. "Master of Science and bar quiz trivia!"

"Hello, Barton-san," Kazuko said. Her hair was a vibrant blue, but unlike Wakana's, he couldn't tell if it was dyed or not. It had to be, surely. She was tall and busty, but not quite as busty as Kimiko, and was eyeing him speculatively. "Has your family joined you here?"

Clint put on a smile. "No, they haven't."

Kazuko hid a wince, so the smile was perhaps not as effective as intended. "Ah, if you need help settling in, feel free to ask."

"Thank you, Amane-san," Clint said.

Kimiko squeezed her shoulder briefly, before moving back to her own desk, circuit of the room completed. "And now you know our wonderful coworkers! Also, your desk is ready for you now, though I imagine you'll spend most of your time in the archery hall." She gestured to her right, pointing out an empty desk. On the left wall of the room, by the windows looking out over the archery hall, it was against Ikari Mai's desk and had the Haga's desks behind it.

"Appreciate it, Kimiko-san," Clint said.

"I have to blackmail the superintendent, but don't be slow to come see me with any questions," Kimiko said.

Clint nodded, heading for his desk. Ikari gave him a bland smile before returning to her work, but he had none of his own to do, and after he set his bow case on the desk he was left twiddling his thumbs. There was still a few minutes until anyone would need to get moving for the first classes of the day, and even after that he had some time before his students were due at the hall.

Given the events of the previous afternoon though…maybe he should speak with the boss. Getting to his feet, he made for the door to the principal's office. It was ajar, even if it was mostly closed, and he rapped his knuckles on it.

"Yes, come in," Gendo's voice came.

Clint stepped in, closing the door behind him. "You got a moment?"

Gendo glanced at the clock on the wall. "I have several." He took one look at Clint's expression and dismay crossed his face. "Don't tell me you need to leave the school."

"No, not that," Clint said. He took a seat before the desk, settling in.

"Oh, good," Gendo said, relieved, leaning back in his chair. He closed his laptop and gave Clint his full attention. "What do you need?"

Clint paused, unsure how to word it. "Yesterday…I was attacked by a ninja."

Gendo stared at him without answering for several long moments. "A ninja," he said, as if to confirm.

"Black bodysuit, mask, bow and arrow, all of it," Clint said.

"And what did this ninja want?" Gendo asked, much like one might ask the street preacher how the reptiles planned to execute their plans for world domination.

"Me to stop teaching here," Clint said.

There was a long pause.

"You were waylaid by a ninja, and they threatened you to stop teaching at our school," Gendo said.

"Shot an arrow at me with a note on it," Clint said.

"Do you have the arrow?" Gendo asked, leaning forward.

"Nnnnnnooooo," Clint said slowly.

Gendo frowned. "What happened to it?"

"I may have…fired it back at the ninja."

Gendo looked at Clint. Clint looked at Gendo.

"There was a note threatening to break my hands or something, but it caught fire and burned to ash," Clint said.

Gendo expression took on a cast of grave concern, and he began to drum his fingers on his desk. "This is…well," he said. "Troubling."

"It might explain a bit about your hiring troubles," Clint said.

The principal's gaze shot up, looking over the top of his glasses. "You think it's a conspiracy?"

"A ninja shot an arrow at me, threatening me about my job as an archery coach," Clint said flatly.

"Hmm, yes, quite," Gendo said. "I will understand if you do not feel safe continuing your employment here."

"What?" Clint asked. "No. I still need to win the regionals."

"I'm sorry??" Gendo asked. "A strange man threatened to maim you," he said, as if reminding him.

"Ehh," Clint said.

Gendo blinked at him. "Then I suppose if you don't feel intimidated…how do you wish to proceed?"

"I suppose we should file a police report?" Clint said.

"Yes, I'm sure the police will handle this," Gendo said, nodding decisively. "We can visit the station after school."

"We?" Clint asked.

"It would be irresponsible of me to leave you to deal with this on your own, given it relates to your employment here," Gendo said.

"I appreciate it," Clint said.

The school bell began to ring, signalling an end to their discussion.

"I'll let you get to class," Gendo said.

The archer rose from his seat, making for the door, but Gendo spoke again as he opened it.

"And Clint-san - I'm glad you brought this to me. You've given me much to consider." He laced his fingers before his mouth, brow furrowing in thought.

Clint gave him a wave as he left, the staffroom already empty save for Kimiko. Another lovely day of teaching awaited him.

X x X

When the archery team arrived, Clint was making use of the range, idly stitching a pattern into a target. He had left his work quiver at the penthouse, safely locked up in a secure lockbox, not at all interested in carrying those kind of arrows around somewhere a kid might get into.

Takashi was first through the door from the club area, nearly skipping across the shooting platform. "Sensei!" he said, almost shouting. "Where did you learn that?"

"I had a lot of downtime," Clint said, letting off an arrow with only half the draw. The arrow barely penetrated the target, but that was by design.

Taro was next out, the bald boy just as interested in the target but less exuberant. "Will we learn that?" he asked.

"Sure," Clint said. From the corner of his eye, he noticed a small cut on the kid's head. His baldness was a choice, then.

Ebisu arrived next, the more serious boy holding a book, though he was no longer reading it, his attention caught the same as the others. "Must one use a one hundred and seventy seven point six pound bow to achieve such a thing?" he asked seriously.

"I wouldn't even bother trying without," Clint said, just as serious.

"I'll have a bow that heavy one day," Takashi said, doing a little fist pump.

Ebisu despaired briefly, but didn't let him in on the joke.

The girls came next, heads together as they walked shoulder to shoulder. Hisana had her long hair in a ponytail that day, and she inclined her head in respect. "Sensei, good morning," she said. Lily waved enthusiastically.

"Good morning girls," Clint said. He fired off his last arrow and judged his efforts. The hawk looked alright, but he'd done better in the past. "How did everyone's homework go? Yamaga, you first."

"It sucked!" Takashi said, far too enthusiastically. "I didn't know I had muscles in some of the places I'm sore."

"Good effort. Remember not to overdo it," Clint said. "Yamamoto?"

"I put in two hours after school yesterday," Taro said. "I think I did well."

"Nice. Same advice as Yamada," Clint said. Takashi frowned suspiciously at him, but Clint was already moving on. "Shiga?"

"I may have been distracted by the history of bowmaking," Ebisu admitted, ignoring Takashi's snicker, "rather than researching the mechanics of the bows themselves."

"So long as you learnt something new, that's fine," Clint said. "Kusano?"

"I set a new personal best," Hisana said reluctantly. "Great-grandfather was pleased, and most interested in how."

"If he has an issue with my teaching, you send him my way," Clint said.

Hisana nodded, but said nothing more. Clint got the feeling that she may have kept the how of her new record to herself, but now wasn't the time to get into that.

"Midori?" he asked instead.

Lily started. "You didn't give me any homework sensei."

"You're telling me you didn't do any?" Clint asked.

"I worked on my grip some more," Lily said.

"And…?"

It took a moment, but when she understood she flushed. "And I ate breakfast today."

"Good. Go team," Clint said. He clapped his hands together. "Time for a pop quiz!"

The kids, even Hisana, groaned as one. It warmed the cockles of Clint's evil little heart.

"Let's head into the prep area and get comfortable," he said.

They trooped inside, and the kids headed straight for the lounge pit, while Clint hopped up onto the nearest bench as he had yesterday. He looked down at the fledglings facing up at him, and pointed at Lily.

"Midori, you're first," he said. "What is your favoured event, how does it work, and how do you win it?"

"Hide and Seek!" Lily said, the club captain tossing her purple hair back. "You have to find and shoot your target in the shortest time possible. If you miss, they hide the target and you have to start again. Most competitions use static targets, but some have started to use drones. You win by being the better, luckier shot than everyone else!"

"Good. Yamamoto," Clint said, pointing at the bald boy.

"Ah, I take the basic target shooting because I am the newest to the sport and still have much to learn," Taro said. "Six arrows to a round, and the goal is to hit as close to the centre of the target as possible." He frowned in concentration. "You win through proper preparation and plentiful practice!"

"Nice. Yamaba, you're up."

"Reflex, Barkon-sensei," Takashi said, grinning cheekily at him. "Archers start blind, and as soon as the target is revealed they shoot! Winner is whoever is accurate the fastest. You need those quick twitch gamer reflexes to win."

Clint let his lip twitch up. "That's right. Shiga?"

"Distance shooting, sensei," Ebisu said, adjusting his glasses. "Competitors shoot at progressively more distant targets, and the victor is the one who does not falter. A keen eye and a steady hand are required."

The assassin nodded. "And Kusano?"

"My favoured event is the labyrinth," she said. "As the name implies, it is a maze event, and you can only move by shooting a target, which then allows you to move to it and take your next shot. Targets are worth different amounts of points, and you have only have twenty arrows available. The event is not timed, but before it starts, you have sixty seconds to view a map of the maze and determine the most ideal path out."

"Complicated," Clint said. "Very complicated." He had looked up some of the mazes used in past years, and one or two of them might have given him trouble, when it came to figuring out the most ideal route at least. "How do you beat it?"

"With a good memory and a lot of practice," Hisana said.

"Does the school have facilities for that?" Clint asked, frowning slightly.

Hisana hesitated, but only for a moment. "It does not. My family home does, however."

"I thought the school was pretty good with archery equipment," Clint said.

"The labyrinth is a newer event, sensei," Ebisu said.

"Budget issues then?" Clint asked. Shrugs were his answer, though he noted that Hisana carefully gave no response one way or another. "So Kusano is the only one with practice for the labyrinth."

"The team captain chooses who does which event at the competitions," Lily said. "Hisana is the best at it, anyway."

"Oh?" Clint said, smiling. "You think you'll only be practising for your own events?"

Something about his smile sent a chill down their spines, and Takashi swallowed.

"How will we practice the labyrinth?" Hisana asked. "The chances of my family permitting outsiders onto our land is…minimal."

"I'll work something out," Clint said. "In the meantime, we'll focus on a skill specific to each event every lesson as best we can, in case of injury or absence. Sound good?"

"Yes sensei," they chorused.

"Then get your bows and let's head out to the hall. I'm thinking it's time for some reflex shooting."

Takashi whooped, already climbing out of the lounge pit, and the others followed him. They were quick to retrieve what they needed, and then they were following him out onto the shooting platform, eager to start.

"I don't think we need to worry about anything fancy here," Clint said, when they were all lined up. "You'll all face the wall, and when I call a number, you'll turn and shoot that target, and I'll call the victor. Ready?"

"Yes, sensei!" they all answered, turning their backs on the targets down the hall.

He let the moment draw out, watching as the anticipation gnawed at them.

"One. Yamaga!"

"Three. Yamaga."

"Seven. Yamaga."

"Two. Ya- Midori!"

"Six. Yamaga.

"One. Midori."

"Five. Yamaga."

"Three. Yamaga."

"Seven. Midori."

"Three. Yamaga."

"Six. Shiga! Nice."

"One. Yamaga."

"Two. Yamaga."

"Three. Yamaga."

"Five. Yamaga. Ok, new rule," Clint said, looking over the team. Their quivers were empty, and Taro was shaking his hand out. "Yamaga, you have to be faster and more accurate to claim the win."

Takashi began to object, more out of reflex than anything. "But that's not how the rul-"

"Do you want to improve?" Clint cut him off.

"I - yeah, I guess," Takashi said.

"You guess?"

"I want to improve, sensei," Takashi said, more firmly.

"Then any arrows in the blue rings and out don't count," Clint said, and the kid nodded determinedly. "Go retrieve your arrows, and get ready for round two."

The second round was less lopsided, Lily proving why she was the team captain and edging out Takashi for wins. Ebisu got on the board twice more, and even Taro managed it on the last arrow, hitting the line between red and blue.

"Well done everyone," Clint said. "Take five, don't let your arms get stiff." He turned to Hisana as the others broke up, swinging and massaging their arms. "Kusano. You came close a few times there."

There was a faint crease of frustration in her brow, but it smoothed as she answered. "Reflex shooting is my poorest event. I will do better in the others."

Clint shrugged. "Everyone has something. How are you going to improve?"

She hesitated. "What would you suggest?"

"You're very deliberate with your shooting," Clint said. "Same breathing, same motions, same timings."

"Not something I can do in the reflex," Hisana said.

"Can you go through the motions before the signal is given?" Clint asked. "Try to time it so your routine ends as it is?"

Hisana was already shaking her head, black tresses rippling with the movement. "In some, yes, but the higher level competitions require a cold start on each shot."

"Can't build a specific routine for it?" Clint asked, already doubtful.

Hisana grimaced, and he didn't blame her. If someone wanted him to change his pre-mission routine he'd tell them where to shove it too.

"You could always use a different bow for it," Clint said.

"I could never," Hisana said, almost drawing back in shock.

"Why not?" Clint asked. Hell, even he wasn't married to his bow.

She searched for words. "It isn't done," she said at last.

"Why not?" Clint asked again.

"I follow a tradition going back centuries," she said, growing surer. "I cannot diverge simply for a school competition."

He decided not to push for now. "Well, I'm sure this won't be an issue in the future," he said cheerfully.

Hisana had started nodding, but shot him a look as he finished that he pretended to miss.

"Fetch your arrows everyone, it's time for round three," Clint called. He had another half hour with these kids, and he was going to make them work.

X

The session had ended up running late, and Clint had sent the kids on their way with a hurry, denying their requests to help with the cleanup. He had already tidied up the common room, and now he hummed to himself as he replaced the targets with fresh sheets. He had a good handle on where their strengths lay, and where they had room for improvement. He brainstormed as he worked, considering the most efficient way to nurture their talent. There was a time or two he had to remind himself that he was training kids for the regionals, and not a new squad of shooters for SH - there was someone behind him.

Clint fiddled with one of the archery targets, pretending to have trouble with it. Whoever was approaching his back wasn't too close, not yet, but they were close enough and growing nearer, and more importantly he couldn't hear their footsteps. He didn't want to assume ninjas, but it was probably ninjas.

They were drawing closer, and he resolved to feign ignorance and strike in the moment before they did. If some two bit hack in a mask thought they could hit him where he taught his students they had another thing coming. He felt the barest whisper of wind against his neck, and he reacted.

Turning on his heel, Clint reached for the hand approaching his shoulder, aiming to pull it into a hold through which he could control the ninja's body, but it was not to be. Already the foe was pulling their arm back, stepping swiftly, and Clint followed instinctively, keeping them in the threat range. He paused, however, when he saw just who his 'foe' was.

An androgynous figure stared at him, one eye covered by a sweeping bang. Their hair was a silky black, less combed than swept into place, and they wore faded green coveralls. The name of the school was stitched onto the chest.

Clint swallowed, allowing his stance to soften. "Can I help you?"

"Do you want help cleaning." The words were even, more a statement than a question, and didn't make the question of the speaker's gender any clearer.

Clint glanced at their feet. Incongruously, they wore white socks and geta sandals, but what caught his eye was the fighting stance the person was also shedding. "I'm almost done," he said, meeting their eye once more. "I don't think we've been introduced."

"Kageyama," they said. Nothing more was offered.

"Barton. Did I see you in here yesterday?" Clint asked, suddenly remembering the figure he had seen leave through the side door before he had met his class.

"Unlikely," Kageyama said.

Clint was pretty sure that wasn't true, but he didn't press the matter. "Right."

"Are you happy with the hall setup," Kageyama said.

"You're the one - yeah, everything has been great," Clint said. "I appreciate it. I might change things up for training at some stage, but I can take care of that."

"You will let me know," Kageyama said. They had yet to blink their visible eye.

Clint had been stared at by more intimidating one eyed men before. "Sure," he said. "Where will I find you?"

"Maintenance building, rear of school."

"...right. Well, thanks for the heads up," Clint said.

Kageyama inclined his? her? head, before turning and leaving without another word. Despite their wooden sandals, their steps made not a sound as they walked.

Clint narrowed his eyes. He'd have trouble moving that quietly, especially in footwear like that. He would have to keep an eye on that 'janitor'.

X x X

The school day ended, and Clint found himself writing up training plans at his desk in the main office as he waited for Gendo. Most of the students had departed, save for a smattering by the front gates still waiting for pickups, but most of the teachers were still present. There was some conversation in the office about the antics of this or that student, and he was listening with half an ear as Kimiko increased her wager on when two combative students would start dating, but most of his focus was on sketching out a rough exercise plan for Yamaga. Power and strength was important, but he wanted to work on his speed and quick twitch too…

"That is quite the workout plan," the woman across from him said. Something about her tone suggested a frown, though her expression was politely interested.

Clint looked up to see Ikari Mai reading over what he had written, the upside down perspective not seeming to hamper her. "It's just a rough draft," he said.

"Are you putting them all through this?" she asked.

"No, this is just for Yamaga," Clint said. Ikari's lips twitched downwards, and he glanced back at what he had written. He didn't think he had gone overboard. "Do you think it's too much?"

"It is very thorough," Ikari said, damning with faint praise. "You're doing the same for the others?"

"Yamamoto next," Clint confirmed.

"If you forward me a copy when they're complete, I can take them into account for my own classes," Ikari said. "The archery club are all my students too," she explained. Despite her offer of help, she seemed almost gloomy.

"Sure," Clint said. "Do you have any lesson plans for the team you want me to take into account?"

"I would not presume to step on your toes like that," Ikari said, voice going stiff.

"What do you mean?" Clint asked. There was something he was missing here.

"You are the senior archery coach now," Ikari said.

Clint frowned. "You teach the general archery subject though, right, as well as P.E.?"

"I do, but changes have been made over the past few years," Ikari said, eyeing him. "I no longer-"

"Ah, Clint-san," a voice called from across the office. It was the principal as he emerged from his office, shrugging his jacket on.

Clint glanced back to Ikari, but the short woman had already turned her attention back to her own work, scribbling away. "Gendo-san."

"Sorry for the delay, a meeting ran long," he explained as he approached the desk. "You haven't purchased a car yet, have you? I'll drive."

Kimiko happened to drift near in time to hear. "Wining and dining the new coach already, sensei?" she asked.

"If only," Gendo said. "Clint-san had an unfortunate encounter with a hooligan yesterday after school, and we are going to report it to the police." He spoke loudly enough that the entire office could hear.

"A hooligan?" Kimiko asked, pressing a hand to her mouth. "Was it a delinquent? A mugger? Not a yakuza, surely?"

Something about her reaction twigged something in Clint's hindbrain. He was reminded of Nat sassing Tony, but he couldn't nail down why.

"No, not a yakuza," Gendo said, smiling at the joke. "Though, you are sure you want to go through with this?" he asked Clint. "You're under no obligation."

"I'd rather have a record of it, just in case," Clint said.

"I understand," Gendo said. "Everyone, thank you for your hard work today. I will see you tomorrow."

Clint began to gather his work, putting it into a folder and stowing it in his archery bag. Goodbyes were exchanged, and he pretended not to see as Gendo conspicuously 'stole' the last muffin from Hanako's desk. Wakana gave him a fluttering wave, red hair bobbing as she listened to some music through her earphones, and then they were on their way, making for the staff car park.

X

There was nothing quite like being stuck in a car with your new boss, neither person willing to touch the radio for worry of choosing the wrong song and making a bad impression. The click of the blinker was loud in the air conditioned car as they left the semi-suburbia of the school area behind, heading towards the city proper. It wasn't a new vehicle, but it was clean and well looked after.

"Nice neighbourhood," Clint said, sick of sitting in silence.

"Oh yes," Gendo said, sounding grateful. "It wasn't always, but our little area has really come into its own in the last decade."

"It was a bad neighbourhood?" Clint asked.

"No, not at all," Gendo said with a short laugh. "Rather, it was not a neighbourhood at all. When my grandfather built it, the city had yet to reach us."

"That's right, you mentioned," Clint said. They reached a roundabout, and Gendo concentrated on driving.

The pause stretched out, and the awkward silence threatened to creep back in.

"I thought public transport was the way to go here," Clint said.

"It is," Gendo said, "and my life would be easier if I could use it." He merged, slipping between two cars, and the buildings around them began to shift, becoming more commercial. "But I built my home on the family land outside the city, and the nearest station is almost as far away as the school itself is."

"Hardly worth the effort," Clint said.

"Indeed," Gendo said. "Where is home for you?"

The usual lie was already at the tip of his tongue, but then Clint remembered his circumstances. "I've got a farm, out in the midwest," he said. "My wife runs it while I travel for work."

"I feel bad for complaining about my commute," Gendo said.

Clint chuckled politely.

"Here we are," Gendo said, turning off the road and into a parking lot. The building that seemed to be their destination was old, but well maintained. They eased into a free space, and he killed the engine. "Now, I cannot make the report for you, but I will be here to support you. Have you dealt with the authorities before?"

"Once or twice," Clint said, straight faced.

"Then you should have no troubles here," Gendo said. "Let's go."

They exited the car, and made for the station. Time to see a cop about a ninja.

X

Clint and Gendo sat across the table from the police officer as he finished writing down Clint's account of his encounter with the ninja.

"...individual departed…after receiving…response," the officer said to himself as he completed the form. His blue uniform was stretched almost to bursting by his muscled frame, and the pen he wrote with looked tiny in his hands. "I will ensure this is treated with the gravity it deserves," he said, looking up at the two other men in the meeting room with him.

"I know it sounds outlandish, Officer Masao," Clint said.

"Outlandish? Not at all," Masao said, clicking his pen. "We will regard this with the utmost seriousness, and be on the lookout for individuals such as you have described."

Clint and Gendo both blinked at the man.

"Wait, really?" Clint asked.

"Of course," the officer said gravely. "Senior sporting clubs are no trifling matter. They can affect the course of a child's life, and children are the future. It is no surprise that some miscreant would resort to malicious deeds to gain an advantage in such a matter."

"I appreciate that," Clint said, taking a moment to enjoy the feeling. In his experience, working with the local law was somewhere between a waste of time and actively harmful.

"Now, I must advise you to have realistic expectations," Masao told them. "Your description of his body type was very thorough, but it will only help so much. I do not expect we will be able to find and apprehend this man."

"I figured," Clint said. "I just wanted it to be on record." So he wouldn't get in trouble if he went overboard in defending himself, he didn't add.

"And you were right to do so," Masao said, nodding. The muscles in his neck were absurd. "We know well how far high school sports can compel a man to go, and now that you have refused to abandon your students, it is possible their threats will escalate."

"Our campus is quite safe, and Clint-san, I believe your staff details say you live in a secure building?" Gendo asked, receiving a nod. "However, as you walk to and from school…"

"It provides them a window of opportunity," Masao said.

"I'm not worried about that," Clint said.

"You think their threat a bluff?" Masao asked, gaze probing. His eyes traced Clint's shoulders, and followed his arms to his hands, picking out what scars were visible. "You didn't mention your prior profession. What was it that earned you a spot at a school like Nōburando High?"

"Oh, I was in black ops," Clint said. "I took care of problems for the US government, and then I went to work for an extra-governmental agency under the supervision of a multinational council with a global mandate."

There was a pause.

Gendo laughed, breaking the moment, and Clint smiled in turn. Masao joined them, though his hands were flat on the table, and he watched Clint carefully.

"No, I was a hunter," Clint said. "Started when I was young, and when you put enough time and effort into something, you get real good at it."

"Of course," Masao said. "Not that I need that for my report, only my curiosity."

"Sorry to have such an American answer for you," Clint said.

Masao nodded, shuffling the papers of his report. "Did you have any other concerns or questions for me?"

"Yeah, is this a common problem?" Clint asked, looking between Gendo and Masao. "Threats of maiming over school competitions."

"To a point," Masao said after a moment. "There have been shameful displays of cheating and bribery, and yes, a threat that could not be explained as angry words, but…"

"Nothing like this," Gendo finished. "Though - I have been thinking, and -" he looked to Masao "we have had some recent troubles retaining our archery coaches at Nōburando. One received a better offer, another had an accident at an archery range, and a third was mugged and departed soon after. Barton-san is our third new hire."

"This is troubling," Masao said. He clicked his pen and turned the form over, beginning to write more on the new page. His pen strokes were even and steady, and his kanji looked machine printed. "I will take this to the Captain myself. He will need to be aware of this before competition season starts."

"Is Captain Shindō still here?" Gendo asked.

"He is," Masao said. "You are familiar?"

"We went to school at Nōburando together," Gendo said. "Life has been busy, but please pass on my regards, sergeant."

Masao nodded, still writing. When he finished, he clicked his pen again and set it down next to the form, perfectly aligned. He unbuttoned his breast pocket and retrieved a card, pushing it across the table to Clint. "This is my personal card," he told Clint, rebuttoning his pocket. "In case of danger, you should call the emergency police line, but for a nonemergency related to this matter, call the number on it."

"Thanks," Clint said. It'd make life easier being able to call someone already familiar with the issue after he'd dealt with whoever attacked him next. He tucked it into his suit pocket. "I'll keep it handy."

"If that is all?" Masao asked, rising to his feet. He was almost as tall as Steve.

"Yes, thank you for your time officer," Gendo said. He offered his hand, and the big officer accepted it, both men bowing slightly.

"Good luck with the season," Masao said to Clint. "My niece is on the middle school team under Ikari-san."

They did not linger long, leaving the interview room behind and making their way from the station, parting ways from Masao at the front desk. Once outside, Gendo stopped and let out a great breath, staring up at the late afternoon sky. Dark orange rays of light played across the clouds, and a flock of birds danced through the air.

"Better to have it done," Clint remarked.

Gendo pulled a rubber band from his pocket and slipped it around his wrist, before snapping it against his skin. "That went rather differently than I expected," he said.

"Worried we'd be laughed out?" Clint asked.

"No, nothing so bad. I thought we would file a report and be done, but it seems they are taking it more seriously." Gendo snapped the rubber band again.

"And that was before it turned out you knew the captain," Clint said.

"Daiki - that is, Captain Shindō - is a good sort," Gendo said. "Bit of a black sheep; his family is in real estate. He'll keep an eye on things. We were on the team together, back in the day."

"Good," Clint said. "When they realise they're not going to have any luck with me, I wouldn't want them to have a free run at the kids."

Gendo paled. "I did not even consider that. No, I won't borrow trouble. Who would - it would draw far too much attention. No."

"Don't worry," Clint said, seeing the anxiety rise in the man in real time. "If they try to approach the students, I'll deal with them."

"Yes, your 'black ops' experience," Gendo said, letting out a breath. He snapped the rubber band twice, hard.

"That's it," Clint said, smiling like it was a joke. He gestured to Gendo's wrist. "You're quitting?"

"Third time now," Gendo said. "Filthy habit."

"You try water or gum?" Clint asked. The rasp of his boots on the concrete steps was loud as he shifted in place.

"First and second try," Gendo said. "If this doesn't work, I'm paying for the hypnosis."

"Well, keep at it," Clint said.

Gendo snapped the band again, viciously. "Let's go. Your apartment isn't far out of my way."

"I appreciate it," Clint said.

They bundled themselves into the car, and it rumbled to life. The lights flicked on, dusk just starting to settle in, and one beam was stronger than the other. Gendo pulled out of the parking lot and joined the evening rush, and a silence settled in again. It was a considering silence though, not awkward, as both men thought on the events of the afternoon.

The sun continued to set as it often did, and street lights flickered on. Traffic flowed around them, and Gendo cursed under his breath at a sedan that cut them off. Their progress was slower now that everyone was fleeing work and trying to get home, and Clint loosened his tie.

"Ninjas aside," Gendo said suddenly, "how have your first days been?"

"Ninjas aside," Clint said dryly, "pretty good." He was compartmentalising this whateverthefuck from his real life back home like a motherfucker, but aside from that he had no reason to complain.

"This would usually be a more formal talk at week's end, but I thought I would ask, given I have you trapped," Gendo said.

"How villainous," Clint said.

"Yes, well, I had to gain my position as principal somehow," Gendo said. He shoulder checked and merged into another lane. "What are your impressions of the team?"

"They're good kids," Clint said. "Some of them aren't trained as I would've trained them, but even the ones set in their ways are willing to learn."

Gendo looked at him from the corner of his eye. "If you can persuade a Kusano to change their style a jot, I will tip my hat to you."

"I never said Kusano was the one set in her ways," Clint said.

Gendo raised a brow at him.

"Yeah, I know," Clint said, waving him off.

"Do you think they'll be ready?" Gendo asked him.

"Six months until the regionals, and two chances to earn an invitation," Clint said. "Plenty of time."

"The competition is…stiff," Gendo said. "It has been some time since Nōburando was the dominant school in the region."

"What happened?" Clint asked.

"We were a victim of our own success, in a way. My grandfather hoped to inspire a passion for archery, and he did so," Gendo said. "It just happens that those passionate archers go to other schools."

"Sounds like you're due for a win then," Clint said.

"It would make my father's year, and my grandfather's decade," Gendo said. They were starting to leave the more built up areas of the city now.

"What kind of people do they have coaching the other teams?" Clint asked.

"Physical Education teachers, for the most part," Gendo said. "Perfectly fine educators, but not archers to worry over. Some though, some do as we do, and attract fearsome archers indeed."

"'Fearsome'?" Clint asked, gesturing to himself.

"I saw your demonstration for the students," Gendo said, braking at a red light. "Fearsome, the kind that the shogun would have relished having under his command."

"Just because you can shoot doesn't mean you can teach," Clint said.

"Maybe," Gendo said. "But teams with a strong coach to rally around win trophies. There's a reason we went to the effort of hiring you."

Clint looked to Gendo, a suspicion stoked in his chest. The man didn't seem to notice.

"With you leading the team, we have a chance against the schools that have dashed our dreams these past years."

"Who are these 'fearsome archers' then?" Clint asked.

"There's a dozen or so schools that stand out," Gendo said, "but of them, there are four to really worry about." The light turned green, and they took off again. Gendo's gaze went distant, as if remembering some terrible scene, and he seemed to be driving on autopilot. "Roger the Red, an Irishman who can put an arrow into the heart of a target almost before it has been revealed. Elaine Bathory, a cold blooded Austrian who can pluck the wings off a butterfly at two hundred yards. Kita Lagertha, a calculating Japanese-Finn that no labyrinth can contain. Yamada Taro, a champion Japanese archer who cannot be evaded."

"If this principal thing falls through you'd make a good ring announcer," Clint said.

Gendo snorted, coming back to himself. "We've come close, since our last triumph," he said. "So many times…but for one of those four to deny us."

"Well, you'll get another trophy this year," Clint said, matter of fact.

"You don't fear them at all," Gendo said, less a question than a statement of wonderment.

"I'm a better archer," Clint said. "If that matters as much as you think, these kids have the talent to get there."

"You'd never heard of them before now," Gendo said.

"Doesn't matter," Clint said. "In plain target shooting, there might be a handful of people who can compete with me, but all these extra events? No."

Gendo had to fight to keep his eyes on the road, so strong was his urge to stare at the man who was so matter of fact about it all. "I suppose that's reassuring."

"These kids are gonna win the regionals," Clint said, repeating the words he had spoken in their first meeting.

"I'll put aside the money for the trophy then," Gendo said, as they came to a stop at another red light.

Clint glanced out the window, and a familiar head of bleached orange hair caught his eye. "Hey, do you mind pulling over here? I want to grab something from the shop real quick."

"Of course," Gendo said, already turning into the parking lane. The car behind them at the lights slid forward to fill the space they had left.

Clint slipped out of the car, closing it behind him. The sun had mostly set now, only the last hints of orange in the sky. A bell rang as he pushed through the door of the 'HeikinMart', a hole in the wall convenience store. The floors were stained linoleum, and the fluro lights were harsh, but the shelves were stacks neatly and the aircon was cool. The store was deeper than it was wide, and to the right on the other side of the store there was a counter with a glass shield halfway along, an old man behind it.

"Hello, welcome to HeikinMart," the cheerful voice of the teen stacking shelves said, still adjusting a row of cup noodles to be just right. "How can I help yoooouuuoh sensei what are you doing here?"

"Yamaga," Clint said, tone forbidding. "Have you been doing your homework?"

Yamaga, standing in his black slacks, blue polo, and white apron, paled at the question. "I haven't sensei, I completely forgot, is it due now?! I can do it on my break!"

"There's no homework Yamaga, I'm just screwing with you," Clint said. "I'm only here to get some milk."

Yamaga sagged, a cup of noodles in each hand. "Truly, your shots never miss, sensei."

"Point me to the milk?" Clint asked.

"At the back on the right of the cold section," Takashi said, using his cheerful voice again.

"Thanks. Just, never use your customer service voice at school. It's unnerving," Clint said.

Takashi grinned at him. "Sure thing, valued customer," he said brightly.

Clint made a face, and went to get his milk. There was another ring of the bell at the door, and he heard Yamaga greet them as he found what he was looking for.

"Hello, welcome to - hey!"

Clint looked back, and down the aisle he saw a group of three older teens push past Yamaga on their way to the counter. One of them pushed over a display of candy, and there was a clatter as they fell all over the floor. His eyes narrowed. He grabbed his milk and began to make for the counter.

The old man was glaring at the three delinquents through the glass shield as they made themselves comfortable leaning all over the cheap cardboard displays around it. One took a box of gum and cracked it open, starting to chew.

"It's that time old man," the apparent leader said. He wore what might be a school uniform, but had had any tags on it ripped off, and there was a loose tie around his neck. "Boss man sent us to collect."

"I'm not handing over anything to any no good hoodlums," the old man said. "That gum is 300 yen."

Clint stopped behind the three, as if joining the line. The one with the gum gave him a cocky smirk, chewing obnoxiously. This wasn't his problem - but he was going to make it his problem. "Hey," Clint said. "You're holding up the line."

The leader of the three threw an irritated glance over his shoulder. "Stay out of this old man." He looked back to the counter.

Clint blinked. 'Old man'? He reached out and flicked the kid in the back of the head.

The kid flinched, hand going to his head. "What the -?"

"He flicked you!" the third kid said. Gum kid backed him up, nodding.

The leader turned. "You better think about what-"

Clint flicked him again, this time right between the eyes, and he flinched violently.

"What the h-"

Flick.

"I'm warni-"

Flick.

"Last-"

Flick.

With an outraged shout, the kid swung wildly. Clint watched as it careened towards him, already off target, and shifted slightly to let it glide past him. He was left off balance by the sloppy punch, and Clint nudged his shoulder with one hand while sweeping his foot in the other direction. The kid was suddenly without support, and he was sent sprawling, face meeting the floor with a dull splat.

The other two looked at him, eyes wide, as if he had just picked their friend up by the throat and slammed him into the floor.

Clint met their gazes evenly. "Don't you have homework to do?"

The two shared a look as their friend pushed himself up, hand held to his cheek, and came to an unspoken agreement. They helped the third up and began to hustle away.

"Hey," Clint said. "Aren't you forgetting something?" He looked meaningfully at the packet of gum one of them held.

For a moment, it looked like he might argue, but then Clint raised a hand, finger ready to flick, and he dug hurriedly through his pockets, throwing a handful of shrapnel onto the counter with a clatter. Then they were gone, pushing past an open mouthed Yamaga and out through the doors into the night.

Stepping up to the counter, Clint put his carton of milk on it. "Just the milk, please."

The old man rang him up with an assessing gaze, and Clint handed over the money. His change was paid out with the coins left on the counter, and he tucked it away in his wallet.

"Thank you," Clint said, turning for the door. Yamaga was still staring as he neared. "See you in class tomorrow."

"Yes sensei!" Takashi said, a broad grin growing across his face.

Gendo was still idling by the curb, and he turned down the radio as Clint ducked into the car. "Was that young Yamaga working in there?" he asked.

"Yeah," Clint said. He glanced over at the store. There was a decent view of the interior through the window.

"Responsible young man," Gendo said, and that was all.

They drove off, rejoining the flow of traffic, just another car trying to get home through the rush. Tomorrow was another day.

Clint always uses the right tool for the job, from a one hundred and seventy seven point six pound bow to draw a pattern in an archery target using arrows, to a simple finger flick to admonish a punk kid.

Episode 2.1: School Daze
School supervision duties were an absolute drag, but he'd spent longer stretches watching more boring things for worse reasons. The morning rush was in full swing as kids arrived and were dropped off, running this way and that across the main courtyard after they passed through the front gates. Staff marched determinedly onwards to their classrooms, pointedly ignoring whatever small rule breaking they saw, though one had their wilful blindness pushed near to breaking point by the pair that seemed moments from putting the school bokken they carried to good use on each other.

Clint let out a long sigh. It seemed that lurking by the base of the courtyard tree wasn't enough to enforce discipline.

The courtyard occupants flowed around him as he approached the two miscreants. So caught up in their argument, they did not notice his arrival even when he came to a stop just outside of sword range. Their friends did, and in their faces was the glee of knowing their friends were about to get in trouble.

"Ahem," Clint said. They didn't notice, still too caught up in each other. He took a step forward, straightening out of his casual slouch to loom over the teenagers. "Ahem."

The two froze, mid word, their bokken pointing at one another. Orange and black heads turned to face him as one. Their weapons drooped.

Very deliberately, he looked from the bokken, to them, and then back. Then he raised an eyebrow.

The girl was quicker on the uptake. She grabbed the orange haired boy's ear and pulled him down into a bow with her. He yelped, but was drowned out by her cry of, "Apologies, sensei!" and then she was hustling off, still not relinquishing her grip on his ear, and the rest of their friend group following along in their wake, entertained.

The archer dragged a hand down his face, before taking up the newly vacated spot by the gates, back to the concrete. For two weeks now, he had been dealing with staff meetings and lesson plans and yard duty, to say nothing of all the reading he was powering through to try and pass himself off as an actual teacher. If he never had to read the words 'pedagogy' or 'whole school' or 'evidence based best practice' again, it would be too soon. And then there were the kids.

It was somehow worse than training up a new batch of rookies at SHIELD, and he wasn't even a full time teacher. His own were mostly ok, most of the time, but he was rapidly remembering why he had dropped out of high school. He only had his class for an hour most days - two and a half on Mondays - but that just made it worse. He had another fourteen weeks of the same to look forward to, and if they were as full of time wasting and tile counting as the first two had been, he wouldn't be responsible for what happened.

The flow of students and staff began to peter out as the morning bell drew nearer, and Clint started to pick out the groups that would need hurrying on. There was one group of repeat offenders that liked to lurk outside the school wall, and technically that meant they were outside school grounds and thus not his responsibility, but Haga-sensei had promised him first crack at Friday's brownies if he made sure they weren't late to her class of a morning.

Clint turned to lean out the gates as an older sister shepherded a cluster of elementary school kids through them, glancing each way for his targets. He didn't find them - but he did find something else, something that made him straighten up and take notice.

Five kids - not yet seniors, but close - were talking to a man who was seated on the bonnet of an illegally parked car. They were intent on whatever he was saying to them, nodding, and he wore an unironed suit, a cigarette held loosely between two fingers. He was pointing it at one of the kids, gesturing for emphasis, and Clint began to frown.

He was out the gates and approaching the group before he'd fully considered what he was going to do when he got there, but he had plenty of time to figure it out. The man's top buttons were undone, letting Clint see an absence of tattoos, but his hands bore the scars that came from bare knuckle fighting. The car was a Nissan with an enormous spoiler, and it barely had an inch of clearance. He might not see a hidden gun or a bag of powder, but he was pretty sure the guy was no good, and more importantly, up to no good with the students. He came to a stop just short of the car.

The man - if barely, he wasn't long out of his teens - had stopped talking to the students as he noticed Clint's approach. "Whatchu want, white boy?" he asked. He had messy black hair, and the start of what could be a thin mullet or a rat's tail growing down his neck.

Clint blinked once, already done with the situation. The school bell began to ring, shrill and mechanical, and he cut his gaze to the kids. "Get to class."

The kids went, only one of them looking back to the probable gangster before starting to obey.

"Are you an idiot?" Clint asked, affecting genuine concern.

The punk drew back. Whatever he had been expecting, it wasn't that. "Bastard, do you know who I am?"

"If you were worth knowing, I would," Clint said. "No tattoos, no class, no money either if your car is anything to go by, but that's no surprise given the way you thought it was a great idea to approach a bunch of middle schoolers right next to the school during the busiest part of the school day. So I'll ask again: are you an idiot?"

He started to steam, rising from his seat on the bonnet. "If you think I'll sit here an' be disrespected like this-"

"What's your plan if a patrol car comes by and sees you here?" Clint interrupted him. "Do you think they'll see a grown man with gangster's first ricer talking with some children and just pass on by?"

"I'm not breaking any laws," he said, chin rising in challenge. "They can't pull me up on anything, and no weeb teacher can either."

Clint looked from him to the car to the curb it was half parked on, then back to him. He raised an eyebrow.

The man flushed in anger and embarrassment. "I pulled over to take a call and saw one of my little brother's friends, so what? Huh?!"

"Right, and the police are all idiots, so they believe you," Clint said. "So then they take your picture, and they find out your known associates and link you to whatever ring you fight in, and then to whoever runs that - who I'm assuming gave you whatever task you're on - and now they know exactly who has an interest in the neighbourhood and in the school."

As Clint had spoken, the man had first gone still, then began to pale. "You - how do you know that? The org-" he cut himself off.

Clint gave him a scornful look. "Because not every organisation sends an idiot to get the job done." He tilted his head, coincidentally giving the punk a clear look at a thin scar that ran up the side of his neck.

The punk saw it, and immediately assumed it was a knife scar, and not evidence of the time Clint had been using an angle grinder and gotten distracted.

"Perhaps you should let your boss know that Nōburando High is off limits," Clint suggested.

With a swallow, he nodded jerkily, before sliding to the side and into his car. It growled to life, exhaust almost screaming, and Clint watched as he reversed in a hurry and off the curb, scraping it with the trim. He stood in place and forced him to swing around him, and in no time at all he was around the corner and gone, exhaust shrieking as he accelerated on the main road.

Clint shook his head. With any luck, that would put an end to any ne'er-do-wells bothering the students. He turned to make for the gate, only to see that his confrontation with the punk hadn't gone unnoticed.

Kageyama, the janitor, was standing just inside the gates, and they watched wordlessly as he neared. They wore the same green coveralls as always, and the same white socks and geta sandals. He gave them a nod as he passed and they returned it, high ponytail bobbing. He still wasn't any closer to figuring out their gender, and the limited hairstyles they cycled through didn't help at all. More importantly, he still didn't know if they were a ninja or not. The silent steps said yes, but the dedication to school cleanliness said no.

Maybe if they were a new hire to line up with the archery coach troubles he'd be more suspicious, but Abe had told him that they were a long time employee. He put it from his mind. He didn't have his kids until the afternoon and he'd already done his supervision for the day, and that meant he had time to fill.

X

Two weeks into the term, and Clint felt that he had a decent handle on the archery side of things. His five students were progressing well, absorbing the fundamentals if they didn't have them, and for the most part taking on board his suggestions if they did. It was still too early to get into anything advanced, but they were moving in the right direction. What he was less sure about, however, was how well he could teach them when they got there. There was a world of difference between teaching the basics and teaching real archery, and he had never needed that kind of teaching himself.

The halls were still busy as students moved from their form classes to the first lessons of the day, chatting and socialising. Fewer eyes followed him than when he had first started, the students growing accustomed to his presence, but he still stood out, a towering caucasian figure amongst a throng of asian schoolchildren.

When he reached his destination, class and teacher were lining up outside the classroom, preparing to head off to their ultimate destination. The teacher was giving instructions to her class, and she slowed as she noticed him, but picked up her stride a moment later. When she finished, she addressed him.

"Barton-sensei," Ikari Mai said, black pixie cut bobbing. "Can I help you?"

Clint smiled, put on the spot, and forced to put her on the spot in turn. "I hope so, Ikari-sensei," he said. "I've heard good things about your classes from my students, so I was hoping to watch and learn."

Ikari didn't grimace, but her face made it clear, to him at least, that she really wanted to say no.

"If you've got plans that would make that awkward, I can come back another time, or we can organise this more professionally," he continued. "I know I'm putting you on the spot here."

"No, I, that's fine," Ikari said. "The students would benefit from another pair of eyes. How is your throwing arm?" She had a baseball glove tucked under one arm, and it looked well loved.

"I'm decent," Clint said, modest, like his recruitment for the departmental teams hadn't been a bitterly contested issue. He noticed Lily's purple head perking up in the line.

"Then by all means," she said, before returning her attention to her students. "Class! You know my expectations. To the sports hall!"

To the sports hall they went. It was behind the junior school building, a reflection of the archery hall on the other side of the grounds, and looked to be about the same size despite being used for far more activities. The students were well behaved, entering calmly, and Lily was dispatched with another student to retrieve a cart full of gloves, bats, and balls while Ikari began to lay out their instructions. Clint listened with half an ear, taking in the hall. It had a high roof just as the archery hall did, but the floor was half concrete, half astroturf, and the concrete had basketball and netball markings on it. On the astroturf end, there were a number of net alleys against the wall.

"Barton-sensei," Ikari said, having dispatched the students to collect their equipment. She had stopped further away from him than most; any closer and she'd really have to crane her neck to look him in the eye. "Would you mind working as an extra pitcher for the students in the nets? I have some I need to work with individually."

Clint couldn't help but notice that this would have him away from the bulk of the work, and busy away from Ikari herself, but he nodded all the same. "Sure. Anything specific you'd like?"

She shook her head. "Just providing a pitch that doesn't come from another student will be useful, thank you."

Before he could do more than nod, she was away again, heading for a small group waiting for her, Lily amongst them. Clint put any analysis of her behaviour on the backburner. He could consider it while he worked, and there were already students pairing up in the nets.

Typically, Clint's first thought would be to approach those who were finding the batting practice too easy and give them a challenge. The lower achievers would improve through time spent practising - but these were students, not recruits, and according to three different dissertations he'd forced himself to read since his arrival, it was important to focus on equity and not equality in the classroom.

There was really no justice in the world when he was the one doing research, not Tony. Rich so-and-so only had to worry about recovering from using the Stones with Cap and Thor, having his every need catered to, but he had to do readings and yard duty and-

"Alrighty!" Clint said, slipping through the netting of one lane, clapping his hands together as he reached a pair that weren't having much luck. "I like the effort I'm seeing the two of you put forward. Do you mind if I interrupt?"

"Uh, no, sensei?" the boy answered, lowering his hand and ball. Down the lane, the girl hesitated with her bat, unsure if she was meant to be at the ready or not. Neither were very confident or accurate, and it was only the heavy netting that hung from above and sectioned them off from the other lanes and the rest of the hall that had stopped a ball from popping off at a skewed angle.

"Great," Clint said. "Step up here for a moment…?"

"Airi, sensei," the girl said. She wasn't overweight, but she seemed to feel out of place in a sporting context.

"Thanks, Airi," Clint said. "Now, I noticed that when…"

"Hideki."

"-Hideki throws his pitch, you take a moment to respond, so you're always rushing to make your swing."

"It's hard to tell where I need to aim, sensei," Airi said, looking down.

"I'm not very good at keeping the ball on target," Hideki said, shifting like he was unsure what to do with his gangly arms.

"That's fine, I'm going to help you with it," Clint assured them. "First though, I want you both to give me a high five."

The students blinked at him. "What?" they said.

"High five, one at a time, let's go," Clint said, and he gave them no more time to think.

First with Airi, then with Hideki, he received an awful and awkward pair of high fives, hands barely brushing and not making so much as an unsatisfying thud. Both students seemed to shrink in on themselves.

"Now, we're going to do that again," Clint said, and that didn't help their morale at all, "but this time I want you to look at my elbow, not my hand. Do you understand?"

They shared a look, but nodded, unsure.

"Ok, go."

This time, there was a satisfying slap, and then another as Clint repeated the action before the other had any time to note the success and grow anxious.

"Do you see what happened there?" Clint asked.

"I think so? But I don't understand it at all!" Airi said, protesting.

"Batter up," Clint told her, grinning like he knew something she didn't.

Shoulders slumping, Airi began to trudge back down the lane, bat trailing.

"Watch how I roll my shoulder," Clint said to Hideki. He was given a dubious look in answer.

Airi reached the end of the lane and turned, bat at the ready.

"Remember, watch my elbow!" Clint called over the clamour of the hall, and then he threw a lazy pitch.

Flustered and put on the spot, Airi followed through as best she could, and there was a satisfying thwack as she sent the ball flying. She watched, astonished, as it swept along the netting, bleeding momentum until it reached the end of the lane and fell to the ground.

Her gaze shot to Clint. "I did it!"

"Solid hit!" he called back. "You understand what I mean now?"

"Yes? Yes!" she said, nodding firmly. She set her bat again, ready for more.

Hideki had retrieved the ball, and now Clint turned to him.

"Did you see how I put my shoulder into the throw without over exerting myself?" Clint asked him.

"Yes, sensei," Hideki said, much more focused after seeing Airi's achievement. "So, I just…"

Clint fell into the give and take of instruction, and Hideki was soon throwing reliable pitches for Airi to send flying. Both were grinning by the end of it, chuffed with their improvement, and Clint ended their time together with a pair of crisp high fives. They continued to practise, much more motivated now, and Clint went on the search for a new pair of students to help. The lesson was still young.

Eventually, Ikari blew her whistle, setting the students to packing away their gear and tidying up. Clint watched as she gave final instructions to the gathered class, standing on a box so she could see over their heads as she thanked them for their work. Outside, the bell rang, and the kids paused only long enough to be dismissed before they made for the doors as a mob.

Clint and Ikari watched the scrum slowly force its way out, neither having any desire to get caught up in it. Eventually, the students filtered out, leaving the two teachers behind, alone in the hall. Neither made to leave. There was a pregnant pause, Ikari staring resolutely forward, while Clint drummed a thumb against his thigh.

"I've stepped on your toes, somehow," he said.

Ikari let out a frustrated huff. "It's not your fault."

"But there is something?" Clint asked.

"You really don't know?" she asked, crossing her arms.

When he shook his head, she squeezed her eyes shut.

"Kimiko was right," she muttered to herself. She opened her eyes again, looking over and up to him. "Do you want to lead the middle and junior archery teams too?"

Clint pulled a face.

Something eased in Ikari's shoulders. "That's a no, then?"

"I'm not a fan of working with children in the first place," he confessed. "I'm only here with the seniors at all because someone twisted my arm."

"I see," Ikari said. "Then, you're really only here today because you wanted to observe?"

"Kids are…not my usual students," Clint said, and it was the ease of long practice that saw him pushing down memories of helping small hands hold a bow properly. "I'm an archer, not a teacher."

"I see," Ikari said. There was a pause. "I used to work with the senior archery team, as well as lead the junior and middle," she said, abrupt.

Clint frowned. "I thought the senior coach was run off, or something," he said, like it wasn't something he needed to worry about. One bribed away, one archery range accident, one mugging, signs of ninja involvement, but hey, who was counting.

"I was an assistant to the coach, not the coach," Ikari said. "That changed last school year, when Kaji-sensei retired."

"Then after him came all the troubles with keeping a coach," Clint said. "Then me."

"Then you," Ikari agreed, hair bobbing as she nodded. "When I heard that the archery syllabus was going to be adjusted, and the funding allocation changed, but no one approached me about it…" she let out a sigh.

"You thought you were being frozen out," Clint said. "That I was going to take over the archery subject entirely."

"I thought you were here to scout out the most athletic students for when you took over the other teams," Ikari said. "Kimiko told me you weren't, but I couldn't help but worry."

"Well, I'm not," Clint said. "Much as I'm bored outside my lessons, packs of little kids - no."

"I heard about what Pope-sensei put you through," Ikari said, managing a laugh.

"I got her back," Clint said, smirking.

Ikari turned to face him once the moment ended, and gave a slight bow. "I am sorry for my behaviour since the start of term," she said. "I know I have been cold."

"Hey, don't worry about it," Clint said. He honestly hadn't noticed it; he was used to far more eccentric behaviour from his colleagues.

"Still," she said. "I realised I was being foolish when I saw you helping the lower achievers so well. I thought you had come to scout out the middle school team, in preparation."

"Genuinely just looking for teaching methods to steal," Clint said, holding his hands up, but he was chewing his lip as a thought occurred to him. "But why were you removed from the senior team? It's obviously not ability."

"I don't know," Ikari said, gloom in her features. "It has been a long, long time since Nōburando High won anything of note."

"But come on, that just makes it more likely it wasn't about that," Clint said. "The last trophy was-" he frowned, trying to remember "-mid way through Gendo's father's time as principal, right?"

"The last major trophy, yes," Ikari said. "But even minor victories have been few and far between."

"And this Kaji-sensei was working here all through that," Clint said. "If someone was gonna get the boot, it would be him, rather than the assistant."

"Kaji-sensei was one of Abe-dono's first students," Ikari said. "Ah, Gendo-san's grandfather. He was a skilled archer, and a talented teacher."

"If they thought you were the problem, they wouldn't have left the other teams in your care," Clint said. "The trouble with the senior team is something else."

"The trouble with - you think this is about more than my removal from the senior assistant position," Ikari said. Her eyes narrowed in thought. "Why?"

"I was threatened by an actual, literal, real life ninja the other week," Clint said.

An incredulous look was his answer, though Ikari quickly schooled her features. "Perhaps it was cosplay? Japan has a thriving tradition of such things."

"No, they shot an actual arrow at me and implied they were behind the troubles that Coach Two and Coach Three had," Clint said.

"Shot an-?? Coach Two and Three?"

"Archery accident and mugging guys," Clint said, waving his hand. "Coach One is the one who got bribed away."

The incredulous look was back. "Kimiko mentioned there was more to all that than we knew, but I didn't think it was quite that serious."

"Point is, something fucky is going on," Clint said. "I thought it was all external, but if there's something going on with the staff positions as well…" he frowned, thinking. He might need to pick up a cork board on his way home.

"This all seems very serious," Ikari said after a moment. "Perhaps you should report this to the authorities."

"Already did," Clint said, dismissive. "But there's not exactly any evidence for all the senior team stuff."

"...was this the hooligan you were accosted by?" Ikari said. "That Gendo took you to report?"

"Yeah," Clint said, his thoughts miles away. He had been happy to wait for another ninja to appear so he could beat some answers out of them, thinking whatever trouble there was was external, but if there was something going on to disrupt the team internally, too…were they connected, or was it just a coincidence?

"This all sounds very concerning," Ikari said slowly. "But if I don't get lunch and to the bathroom before the break ends, I won't get a chance until the end of the day."

"Oh right, yeah," Clint said. "Sorry. Thanks for letting me observe, and for all this, Ikari-sensei." He started walking for the door, and she fell in step with him.

"Please, call me Mai-san," she said. "I think that after all this, it is fair."

"Sure thing, Mai-san," he said. "Call me Clint-san."

They reached the doors, and entered a world of running and chattering children. The doors were locked behind them, but before they went their separate ways, Mai paused.

"If you have questions about the school," she said slowly, "ask Kimiko. She has a knack for knowing things she probably shouldn't."

Clint considered the bubbly admin. He could see it. "Thanks."

"Right. Well, good luck with your classes," Mai said. "And the ninjas." She blinked, shaking her head at herself.

"You too," Clint said. They parted ways, and he found himself in a good mood over clearing the air despite the new hints he had come across. Then he remembered that he still had a full day of school to go, and wished for a sudden ninja attack.

Unfortunately, it would not be ninjas.

X

Class with his seniors that afternoon went as well as always. All were progressing well, and putting in the effort. There were small issues, sure - Hisana was getting some pushback from her family on the adjustments he was recommending for her, and Takashi was having trouble putting in the hours needed - but overall, things were going well. They were a talented bunch of kids, and he had almost gotten them to the stage where they could start working on some exercises he'd made to address their favoured events.

It was that same smooth sailing that was making him worried, however. There was no trouble between the kids, aside from Ebisu and Takashi butting heads, but that was normal. Taro was quiet, and Lily was sometimes overly intense, but that was normal too. There was nothing that stuck out at him as a potential problem to interfere with them winning their competitions, and that made him nervous. If the big draw for the faceless bastards was him getting them to victory in the regionals, why was it looking like it would be such smooth sailing?

He couldn't see the challenge, and that made him feel like there was something just waiting to reveal itself at the worst moment.

"Still no problem at work, Yamaga?" Clint asked his student.

"Nope, sensei!" Takashi said, quick firing his last arrow. "They haven't been back, and their boss came to apologise to Old Man Genryu for the trouble. Gave him a discount for next month, even."

"Good, good," Clint said. He didn't like it, but he wasn't in the mood to rip out the local criminal element root and stem, either. "Remember not to over engage with your shoulder when you quick fire."

"Yes, sensei!"

He moved on, inspecting his next student. She was focused, all her attention on the target downrange.

"Midori, what'd you have for breakfast today?"

"Ah!" Lily jolted and loosed, and her arrow barely hit the edge of the target. "Sensei!" she complained.

"If you ignore your surroundings when you shoot, you're just asking to be distracted when you least need it," Clint lectured. "Disregard, but don't ignore."

"Yes, sensei," Lily said, slumping. Still, she put another arrow to the string of her recurve.

"Breakfast?" he prompted her once she'd drawn.

She faltered, but didn't fire. "Raw eggs and rice, sensei," she said.

"Good," Clint said, and he watched as she loosed her arrow. It landed in the second innermost ring. "Good focus, too."

"Sensei!" someone called.

Clint looked over to see Taro, pointing up at the ceiling. "What is it, Yamamoto- ah."

There was a bird, a pigeon, roosting in the rafters. How it had gotten in he wasn't sure, but it was in, and he cursed internally as it fluttered down to land on one of the targets.

"Hold your shots," he called, but it was unneeded.

"This is problematic," Ebisu said, resting the root-nock of his bow on his toes.

"Yeah," Clint said. "We'll need to get it out before we continue." He didn't know what forms he'd have to fill out if one of his students accidentally killed a bird, and he didn't want to know.

"It'll just fly back up if we approach it," Takashi said, scratching at his bleached hair. "What if we rig a net between two arrows, and catch it with that?"

Clint closed his eyes, holding back a sigh.

"That's needlessly complicated and unsafe," Hisana said, chastising. "We should instead fetch the round tip arrows, and shepherd it out with near misses."

Hisana why, Clint thought. You were supposed to be the responsible one.

"What if we popped open the window latches with foam arrows?" Lily asked, pointing at the windows that lined the top of the building. "Then it wouldn't matter if it flew back up, it would have a way out!"

Clint despaired.

"I'm good with animals, and I have some lunch leftover," Taro said. "I could try approaching it."

At least not all was lost.

"That," Clint said, and if there was a hint of desperation in his voice, none of the students noticed. "We'll try that idea."

Bows were stowed away, Taro retrieved his lunch box and the scraps of food he meant to use to lure the pigeon, and the rest of them watched as he approached the target where it was still perched. It didn't so much as twitch as he neared, only watching him with a tilted head.

One hyper-lethal archer and four gifted amateurs held their breath as Taro slowly held out his offering. The pigeon observed it for a long moment, and then it flared its wings, hopping from the target to his arm, helping itself to the food without a care in the world. Perched on his arm, it was clear that the pigeon was quite large for its kind.

Taro looked back at them, surprise and glee on his face. Clint pointed at the single door exit in the corner near him, and the boy nodded seriously. Carefully, so as not to spook the bird, he sidled over to the side door, and stepped out.

Something about the situation had them waiting with bated breath. When the moment stretched out, it only became worse, and it continued to stretch until the point that Clint started to give serious thought that he'd somehow done something irresponsible by letting the kid out of sight. At last, the door swung open again, but what stepped through made Clint close his eyes in something like pain.

Settled comfortably on Taro's bald head, the pigeon was lord of all it surveyed. From its new perch, it was clear that it was not just unusually large but quite possibly the fattest pigeon any of them had ever seen, its feathered bulk covering his entire scalp.

"Sensei," Taro called, "I don't think it wants to leave."

Clint stared, dead eyed. The next moment, his other students all started talking at once.

"-mascot, heck yeah-!"

"-be cruel to chase it away-"

"-check it for diseases, but surely-"

"-the FATTEST PIGEON-"

Clint clapped his hands together, the sound echoing around the hall and silencing all enthusiasm. "I am abdicating all responsibility in this matter," he announced. "Whatever you do with that bird, so long as it doesn't break any laws, has nothing to do with me." And then he turned and walked out.

He pretended not to hear the enthusiastic chatter that sprang up behind him, and he definitely ignored the happy cooing that joined it. Not his monkeys, not his circus.

X

Later that afternoon, after the school day was done and Clint was making his way back to his apartment - not home, home was a farm with four other people - he found himself wishing for normality. He was only two weeks into a sixteen week term, and he was already wishing for a good stake out or sting op. No overly serious archery competitions or suspicious job changes or unreasonably fat pigeons, just give him a nice, normal-

"You!"

Clint stopped, turning to face the shout, adjusting his bow bag on his shoulder as he did. He was on a quiet side street, and there was a familiar punk exiting a small shop he had just passed. With him were three friends, all in equally untidy suits. The punk was pointing at him, outraged, and he smiled. Guess sometimes prayers were answered.

Back