"Am I an Artist Now?" PrinceArjuna's Art Thread

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

So, after a while, I decide to make my own art thread. I want to draw things, because I love...

PrinceArjuna

Until my life is exhausted
So, after a while, I decide to make my own art thread. I want to draw things, because I love drawing things. I also want to improve along the way, or something along the lines.

Currently, I'm still working on improving my skills, so... well, let's just say the quality of my arts varies, from 'mediocre' to 'acceptable'. :oops:

Here are the samples of my arts:

The shading's kinda shitty, but, meh...

Actually, I'm rather proud of this one. Still, there's definitely a room for improvement.

Another one. Like the one above, I'm also proud of this one, though improvement seems like a good idea.

Also, I also do this:

Prince Arjuna's Commissions

I can draw things in exchange of moneh. Yah, moneh. Just PM me if you want me to draw you a few stuff.

About payment, it can be made after I've done the art, because I'd rather not take the moneh if the art's not finished. Generally, it'll take me 5 days to 1 week to finish one simple commission art, though there may be time when I need at least 2 weeks to complete it, especially if the art is complicated one.

We can negotiate the price, of course, but generally, it's like this:

$8 - $10 for sketches

$12 - $15 for linearts

$15 - $20 for black and white arts (1 character)

$22 - $30 for colored arts (1 character)

$25+ for black and white arts (more than 1 character)

$30+ for colored arts (more than 1 character)

FYI, I'm not into furry and mecha, so I won't draw them. Guns are acceptable, though they may take a while to draw. Also, no p0rn, fetish arts and guro.

If you guys are interested, just PM me. Also I'm in desperate need for moneh, so please ask away. JK.

Last edited:
Here are another samples, as well as a sketch.

Shading is so hard... :cry:

Huh. Well, still definitely needs improvements.

Well, will you look at that. A rough sketch. A bit dirty, but that's how I draw things before I do the clean lineart.

Is it weird that I like your sketches more than the line art?

Some observations, I'm not exactly a professional so take what you will:
- Somewhere along conversion you lose some of the volumetric information. Maybe that can be rectified by better capturing the clothing (esp' line flow of creases), and can definitely be improved by even a more prominent use of 2-tone per color shading if you're coloring.
- you have okay anatomy, a bit simplified and lacking in some bone/muscle landmarks (hip bones, shoulders, ribcage) but the hands and feet look like hands and feet (or close enough) which I know isn't easy.
- gesture and pose scope are kinda limited, could be because of insufficient pictures for a proper look at your skill with it.
- also kinda curious how good your other art aspects are (scenery/perspective, more realistic stuff, fine details and so on)

Overall, your art is pretty nice. There's definitely room for improvement even in your basics, but your current level is a lot higher than average amateur fare.

Edit: curiosity driven questions; how long did it take you to get to your current level (hours invested, time you've been drawing)? How are you learning?

Last edited:
Is it weird that I like your sketches more than the line art?

Some observations, I'm not exactly a professional so take what you will:
- Somewhere along conversion you lose some of the volumetric information. Maybe that can be rectified by better capturing the clothing (esp' line flow of creases), and can definitely be improved by even a more prominent use of 2-tone per color shading if you're coloring.

Well, I believe it seems like the drawing is losing some of the volumetric information because of the loss of the sketch lines. And aye, I'm overall still experimenting with the colors.
- you have okay anatomy, a bit simplified and lacking in some bone/muscle landmarks (hip bones, shoulders, ribcage) but the hands and feet look like hands and feet (or close enough) which I know isn't easy.

Well, I tend to simplify things while drawing. Blame the anime and manga influence. :p
- gesture and pose scope are kinda limited, could be because of insufficient pictures for a proper look at your skill with it.

Aye, I guess that's it. I still need references while doing poses, though. :oops::oops:
- also kinda curious how good your other art aspects are (scenery/perspective, more realistic stuff, fine details and so on)

Well, I mostly prefer drawing bodies. If I were to be so inclined, I can draw the scenery/perspective stuff, as well as the realistic and fine stuff, except that it may take more time than usual. Usually, I spend at least 2 hours to complete an uncolored lineart.
Overall, your art is pretty nice. There's definitely room for improvement even in your basics, but your current level is a lot higher than average amateur fare.

Thank you. :D
Edit: curiosity driven questions; how long did it take you to get to your current level (hours invested, time you've been drawing)? How are you learning?

Well, I learned by doing observation (reading cartoons and manga, stuff like that). And then experimenting. I've been doing this since I was... 15? (I'm 24 now, btw). There were times when I kinda stopped drawing, which made my skills atrophied a bit (if that's the right word, that is).

Aye, I guess that's it. I still need references while doing poses, though. :oops::oops:
Hey, using reference isn't a sin; the goal is "best looking art as fast as reasonable". Being able to draw from imagination is like 2 orders of magnitude harder than just drawing well and requires endless practice to engrave the basic building blocks and techniques into your brain.
Usually, I spend at least 2 hours to complete an uncolored lineart.
2 hours seems like an unreasonably long amount of time for just lineart. How much of a difference is there between your 1-10 min sketches and 2 hour pieces? For reference; link something I sketched off a reference in 2 min and inked to shitty lineart level in 8. I pretty much never ink and I've been too busy to practice gestures the last week so this is "cold" drawing.

2 hours seems like an unreasonably long amount of time for just lineart. How much of a difference is there between your 1-10 min sketches and 2 hour pieces? For reference; link something I sketched off a reference in 2 min and inked to shitty lineart level in 8. I pretty much never ink and I've been too busy to practice gestures the last week so this is "cold" drawing.

Oh, you mean, just inking alone? Well, minus all things I did other than inking, which were procrastinating and reading manga to get the right feel in order to ink, the whole image just took less than 20 minutes.

Back