Aldnoah.Zero in Battletech-verse

Ryven Razgriz

I need a Gun and I'll let you know 'What's up?'.
I'm actually quite curious to see how Aldnoah Zero fares in Battletech. Now I understand that by having Aldnoah Drives, A.Z is quite OP as fuck but in this WI, I'd propose several scenarios in which some do have the Drives and some, not.

I'd like to see what y'all think could happen, so the more details present the better, so nerd on people.

Aldnoah Zero = AZ
Aldnoah Drive = AD
United Earth = UE
Vers Empire = VE

UE's Mecha said:
UE's mecha units, Kataphract, are capable of limited flight, modular weaponry thanks to Kataphract having actual hands and said units do have mecha-sized Assault Rifle and Sniper Rifles so we can assume that they do have mecha-sized Bazookas, mecha-sized handheld Cannons and what other animu mecha weapons there is. Unfortunately, Kataphracts are very fragile compared to Battlemechs.

Here are some of UE's mecha
KG-7 Areion
KG-6 Sleipnir

VE's Mecha said:
VE's mecha units, Kataphracts, are capable of super-robot style combat, that means they are capable of flight, have remote weapons, have energy barriers (of sort), beam weapons and swords and other quite frankly BS-levels of OP-tech such as literal limited-area invulnerability, literal electric manipulation, precognition and whatever the hell you could imagine. Here are some of their mechas, read and know the BS that is Vers Kataphract.

UE and VE Tech-base said:
UE tech is quite similar to RL current day tech, just a bit more advance seeing as they have powered exosuit, mecha, cybernetics (in which the MC received a cyborg eye which is quite frankly a little bit OP (AI-equipped Cyborg Eyeball because why the fuck not)) and other stuffs. Sadly they don't have Fusion Reactors so they rely on Fission Reactors instead.

VE on the other hand is quite BS. AD provides unlimited energy, Orbital Castles which doubles as both Base and KKV (because why the fuck not) and makes physics their bitch (see VE's Mecha above).

Both UE and VE have slave units which are remotely controlled mecha/fighter.

Scenario A:
AZ's UE is inserted somewhere in BT (Similar to that one round robin fic where Clancy Earth is ISOT'd in BT). VE and AD are non-existent. UE is found one some planet named Erde instead of Earth.

Scenario B:
AZ's UE is inserted somewhere in BT with AD and no VE. UE is found one some planet named Erde instead of Earth.

Scenario C:
AZ's VE is inserted somewhere in BT with AD and no UE.

Scenario D:
AZ's UE and VE are inserted somewhere in BT in different locations.

Scenario Z1:
BT Sol is replaced by AZ Sol with all that it comes with. That means both the UE and VE are present and warring with each other.

Scenario Z2:
BT Sol is replaced by AZ Sol with all that it comes with. That means both the UE and VE are present, at post-anime timeline where Earth and Vers are allies.

EDIT: Due to the war between UE and VE, assume that UE lost half of its population and VE is half of said population.

Last edited:
Some Magic Bushido Hands's users would salivate with the idea of a huge 'dropship' that could act as a kinetic impactor. So automatic raid to 'acquire" some for the Dragon.

I'm not going to try to address the scenarios, at least not yet. Instead, I'm going to try looking at things from a tech basis, seeing how each of the two sides match up to the Battletech universe's Mechs and Mechwarriors.

Let's start with the most important limitation of Battletech: the FTL barrier and JumpShip technology. Neither the UE nor the VE have any FTL technology; the VE once had access to the OP-tech known as the Hyper Gate, a form of FTL that presumably kicks JumpDrives in the balls, but it was destroyed and there's no evidence that they have the ability to recreate that tech. This means that in any world-hopping situation, both the UE and the VE could take control of their local space, but have no ability to project force beyond their local sphere. This means that until they can obtain their own JumpDrives, they'd both be forced to maintain a defensive-only posture. Both of them are at a tech level where they could reverse-engineer a JumpDrive and build their own JumpShips (VE could probably do it faster and better), but it'll take time for both of them.

Other than that, Battletech's unique combat technologies are 1) myomer; 2) neurohelmets; and 3) fusion plants. (HPGs don't count for this analysis, although I agree with the thrust of Loki's point.) All of these technologies are things that both sides could almost certainly reverse-engineer, although whether they'd want to is a different story. I'll come back to this later.

Moving on, we've got the United Earth forces. The UE's Kataphracts (UEKs) are... actually a pretty good match-up for Battletech mechs. Ryven's post covers most of the salient points; modular loadouts, light armor, good maneuverability. Size-wise, they're around the Heavy weight class at 13.5 meters. Their biggest edge over Battlemechs is their ability to operate in space, although there's substantially less call for them to do so in BT. Their biggest weakness is their comparatively low armor and weapons counts.

Myomers might be useful for the UEK due to their load-bearing abilities, but would involve massive retooling and redesigns, so unless they could directly jump to Triple Strength Myomer somehow, they would probably stick to mechanical motivators. Neurohelmets, on the other hand, would be much easier to implement, especially since the AI-Equipped Cyborg Eyeball is significantly more advanced. No idea how much advantage they could derive from neurohelmets, though; UEKs already have auto-balancing systems, but since the UE could probably figure out how to make Star League-grade neurohelmets or better, they might be able to bestow CyberEye capabilities on their pilots without brain surgery. Who knows.

Could UEKs be upgraded to use fusion drives? Probably. If I remember correctly, their power plants are mounted on backpacks that can be ejected in an emergency, so it would just be a question of switching backpacks. Whether they would want to do so is a different question; fission plants require exotic elements for operation that fusion plants don't, but there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in field performance. Battlemechs can operate in the field for far longer than Next, there are myomers. Neither the UE or the VE use anything like this, and it doesn't seem to have set them back any. Both their tech bases rely on mechanical movement, not contractive. Myomer's big advantage is its load-bearing ability, letting Battlemechs carry their heavy armor and weapons. This gives them a major advantage over UE thanks to this, so fusion drives would be superior for garrison duties, but I suspect that current UEK drives might actually be better for front-line deployments thanks to their lower heat output.

The big question is how efficient the UE is at manufacturing UEKs, whether they're Sleipnir or Areion models. BT's limitation is the ability to replenish mechs at a sufficient level of quality; they're limited by LosTech, whereas the UE doesn't have that problem. If the UE can crank out enough UEKs fast enough using current designs, they could probably maintain parity with most invading forces.

On the other side of the coin, we have the Versian Empire and its Super Kataphracts (let's call them VESKs). This really is the only way to describe them; like Ryven said, these things are capable of BS-level OP-tech. Their Landing Castles are stupidly big; at 2 kilometers in length, they make BT's 131-meter Overlord dropships look dinky in both carrying capacity and armaments. Their VESKs can pull off such impossible effects as infinite self-duplication, dimensional invincibility, gravitic manipulation, entropic manipulation, "all the lasers", and many more. In any battle between any VESK and a full battalion of Battlemechs, the VESK would almost certainly be the victor. Broadly speaking, the VE points and laughs at BT capabilities.

In terms of useful BT tech, the only thing the VE would care about is JumpDrive technology. Fusion is laughable next to the power of Aldnoah, and myomers might make an amusing curiosity. Neurohelmet tech might be interesting, but most VESKs wouldn't need it and those that could use it already have significantly superior methods of mech control.

Unfortunately, the VE has several limitations. First, there's the numbers problem. The VE doesn't have mass-production units; the closest thing they have is the Stygis, and those only have speed to protect them. The loss of a single VESK is a huge blow to the VE, and you better believe that if one brilliant teenager could spot the flaws in the various VESK designs, then so could the more experienced Mechwarriors in BT. Which brings us to the next big problem: the VESK designs are... just really bad. Yeah, I said it. With a very few exceptions, the VESKs are entirely dependent on their one superpower. Find a way around that, and they have nothing else with which to defend themselves. I mean, the infinite self-duplication VESK's only weapons are two knuckledusters. It punches. That's its only attack. And that's saying nothing about the actual physical designs, which are impractical at best.

If we step back to the other side of the fourth wall, I can say that the numerous and massive design flaws in the VESKs were there due to a combination of rule-of-cool and the necessity of making the VESKs beatable by AZ's hero. The only in-universe explanations are that either the different Aldnoah effects somehow interfere with conventional weapons and armor, or the VE engineers had drunk too much of the "Versian Superiority" Kool-Aid. Either way, the VESKs make for amazing shock-and-awe platforms, but would be slowly ground down in an actual campaign - as happened in AZ. And getting them replaced? Well, that's the third issue: Aldnoah Drives are a non-renewable resource. As far as we know, the VE has no ability to produce new Aldnoah Drives, only the technology that uses and channels their effects. ADs are the ultimate LosTech. On top of that, the number of AD users is kept artificially low by the Versian Royal Family. Losses could be replenished, but even more slowly than BT mechs, to say nothing of the already-small VE population as a limiting factor. All this means that without a serious build-up, the VE couldn't project force to more than a couple of nearby star systems even if they had FTL tech.

Overall, my feeling is that both the UE and VE could individually hold whatever system they appeared in (with the exception of Terra), but would be unable to expand their sphere of control beyond that range for a very long time. Any influence on the galactic stage would have to be obtained through diplomacy, which would require entirely different approaches and outcomes depending on which Successor State either of them appeared in.

And if they both appeared in Terra? Well, that would depend on what point in the BT timeline they appeared at, but honestly, my guess is that it would kick off a whole new Succession War.

with the exception of Terra

I would add any of the clan homeworlds too. Even if the Clans don't' have creativity they have warships. And the Smoke Assholes were pretty liberal in their use against the ground if they believe that they could do it. Remember that before Everyone-favorite-traitor the Clans still bidded warships in their planetary invasions.

I would add any of the clan homeworlds too. Even if the Clans don't' have creativity they have warships. And the Smoke Assholes were pretty liberal in their use against the ground if they believe that they could do it. Remember that before Everyone-favorite-traitor the Clans still bidded warships in their planetary invasions.
If either one of them showed up in the Kerensky Cluster, I'd only put money on the VE surviving. The UE aren't exactly goody-two-shoes, but the Clans have the sort of crazy that can only really be fought with either numerical superiority or equivalent crazy, and the UE probably wouldn't be willing to commit war crimes in the way that the VE did with their Landing Castles. The VE's Versian Superiority mindset and VESK tech means that they could issue official duel challenges against the Clans, and almost certainly win them all. As skilled as the Clan elites are, the vast majority of them aren't exactly the sort of lateral thinkers you'd need to suss out a VESK's weakness, and the ones who are would be smart enough to realize how outmatched they'd be in a one-on-one.

Back