A Wiki Warrior of the Worlds: A Multiversal Wiki Warrior Adventure

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Uh-oh! Looks like a average college student has been cursed to be travel around different universes Fortunately, he's gained the fabled power of the wiki warrior! Can he use what he's been given to help the various worlds he comes across?
Introduction
I've been inspired by this story to write a Wiki Warrior fic. For those not aware, a Wiki Warrior fic is one in which the protagonist gains abilities inspired by random wikipedia articles rolled by the author (that's me, obviously). I'll be using a modified ruleset:

The SI can use the power of the wiki warrior once every in-universe hour. However, he won't be using this every hour he's awake because there is a chance that the power might backfire on him. Every time this power is used a 20-sided die will be rolled:

1: Summons something bad related to the article
2-5: Summons a mostly useless trinket or a person who may be an enemy or friend depending on the circumstances.
6-10: Summons a common but useful ability or item.
11-15: Summons a useful person. The person will be fully aware of the situation and can be sent back to their home universe at any time.
16-19: Summons a very useful item, ability or person.
20: Creates a stationary portal accessible only to the SI to a world related to the article. Anything gained by the Wiki Warrior ability cannot be taken to a different universe.

What do you think? Do you have any advice for mechanics? Our first world will be: London, May 12, 1861

I'd suggest making it so that any roll has the potential to be useful. Or at least something that can be bypassed. So an intelligence debuff could be overcome by brute force or through a quest. An enemy could be either killed or turned away or made a friend.
If the person ends up achieving this then do another roll that will only allow a benefit of some sort. Maybe just choose another wiki as if you rolled the opposite of the original roll. So defeating a 1 would automatically roll a 20 and so forth. Also, maybe give a time limit. Like maybe getting a new instant roll if within the limit, otherwise you just end the penalty. This could be a way for the person to avoid penalties. Say if they loose a friend within the time limit then they get a penalty roll.
Maybe make the time limit until the next roll?

The fact the rolls have the potential to be bad or at the very least useless is a mechanism designed to prevent our hero from simply rolling every hour and becoming a God within a month. That's also why the gifts from rolls can't be transferred over to new universes by the way.

Back